Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from biggiees Balls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room.
Speaker 2: Now. I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but.
Speaker 1: Being remembered by casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. The struggle, like life itself, should be joyful. Miriam Miranda, I just want to say those people and I know I'm coming strong today because I feel it in my spirit. The struggle is not set up for you to feel bad. The struggle is not set up for you to think that it's impossible or that you're not enough. The quote unquote struggle is set up for you to reintroduce you to the truth of who you are. And you are powerful, you are mighty. You can make possible out of impossible. You can make a way. This too shall pass. Understand that nothing is being dubbe to you, It's being done through you. And as you reflect on our guests today Felicia Bishop, understand that she took an idea, she took a thought, she took something that was God given to her, and she made a way.
Speaker 2: She held the vision and today.
Speaker 1: She has created an award winning series that is going to sell, that is going to be streaming, and all of you will have the joy of experiencing it.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: I will not allow the words struggle to deflect, distract, or disturb my groove. Before we get started, I like to remind everyone to go to Krackle network to use seasons one and two of my show Inside the Black Box that I co host with the Great Emmy Award winning Joe Morton look out for news on season three. Soon Welcome to the Spirited Action Podcast with me Tracy Moore. That was a loving, a very very loving exhale. For those of you who know me, you know when I have someone really special and I take my time in my introduction because I do have to acknowledge them. I don't even know, but when she comes on, we'll ask her how many years, But I'm going to gauge at least fifteen because my son was really little when she met him. Well not little, but he's a grown man now. This woman, our guest, Felicia Bishop, was introduced to me by my next door neighbor Larry, and he was like, Tracy, I want you to meet this actors.
Speaker 2: She's a young woman.
Speaker 1: You know she's coming into the business, and I also want you to mentor her, like whatever you're going to give her or whatever. I said, okay, cool, because I love Larry and Stacy, and he gave her my number. I can't remember where we met, but I know we met up to talk and go over things, et cetera. I fell in love with her when I met her. First of all, I think we got the same color eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, all right, sorry, But her spirit, her passion, her joy, I have never, ever, ever, and I'm not around her twenty four hours to say, but I have known her for a very long time. I've never seen her drag, energy, sad.
Speaker 1: I've seen you sometuf on Instagram, but I know her as joyous, glorious, joyous.
Speaker 2: Right, She's beyond talented. I had an opportunity a couple of years ago to direct a music video.
Speaker 1: Felicia was the first person when I thought of the scenario, I was like, I'm want flee shit.
Speaker 2: She gonna be grated, right. I have known this woman.
Speaker 1: I continue to support her, and let me tell you why I'm doing mad backflips with a kool Aid smile. Felicia's one of those actors that took her career in her own hands, and she decided she had a great idea, and she decided she was going to write that that idea, produce that idea, direct that idea, cats that idea. Whatever she needed to do to get in a New York minute on, she did it.
Speaker 2: And through that show, she has given opportunities to spirit an actor alumni. She has created just great platforms for people, and I.
Speaker 1: Can't wait until I get an two directed episode, because she did ask me if the ric full way it happened was I had to do something new, but Eway, I love her. Please stand up for my friend, my colleague, Felicia Bischa.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tracy. That was like the best introduction I've ever gotten. I'm so glad to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, we kind of have the same color eyes. They're not exactly, but I love her eyes. I love's eyes, Felicia. When I tell you, I am so happy to have you on this podcast and give you this platform because I saw your work ethic from day one. Had no idea we were going to land here, but I was like, listen, keep her close because you might need Dad's Kokua job.
Speaker 2: And I did. I was like, Felicia, if you ever need a director full episode up here.
Speaker 3: For you sometime? Yes, No, for sure, it's coming.
Speaker 2: It's coming.
Speaker 3: I know that the dates in the line for us that time, but it's gonna come. It's gonna come.
Speaker 2: I believe it too. I'm not going anywhere, and I love the show.
Speaker 1: First, let's start at the beginning, Felicia, because I believe.
Speaker 2: That this show is going to be so.
Speaker 1: Incredibly inspirational to actors because you did it. So starting out, let's go from the beginning. Yes, you woke up one morning and you said I choose acting or did acting choose you?
Speaker 3: I think acting chose me. If I want to start from the beginning. My mom, Yes, I was always like into dance and doing like, of course, creative things. I grew up in Brooklyn, but it wasn't until I really got to college. I was in a class and I was voicing my opinion and the professor at the time, I didn't know he was the head of the theater department. I thought he was just a professor. And he was like, stay, I have to class. I have to talk to you. And I was like, oh no, I'm ruffle Feathers again. And he was like, no, I need you to audition for the play. And I was like, oh, that's not my major. My major at the time was communications broadcasting.
Speaker 2: I want to tell.
Speaker 3: You like a talk show host. And he was like, no, I need you to audition for this, like this role is for you and I was like no. And literally the night before I changed my mind. My roommate helped me to say just do it, and of course I got the part, and then I was in every I didn't change my major though, but I was in every play after and that's what basically I was like, Oh, this is something I want to do, so I definitely shows me.
Speaker 1: So when you decided to embark in this career, like because I'm gonna start with Larry, how did how did you find out about me?
Speaker 2: Or was it what Larry said you should meet my next door neighbor because I didn't know that backstory.
Speaker 3: So my whole life has been whatever survival job I have has to connect to like my creativity. So at the time BMW in Manhattan was in the building of and I think they might still be there. It was like NBC or something like that, like we're upstairs. I was like, oh, I'm want to work here because in my head I was like still on my broadcasting acting. I'm like someone's gonna see me. Larry used to walk past the desk all the time for when customers would need his help, and one time we just were talking and he was like, you don't look like you belong here, Like what do you really do? And that's when I was like, I'm actually I want to be an actress. And he was like, there's somebody you have to meet. He was like, her name is Tracy Da Da Da. He gave me the number and he was like, you have to Literally that day. I didn't waste any time. I was like, and we ended up.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: I don't remember where the coffee shop was, but it was a coffee shop and broke yes and we met and we sat and we talked and then I was like, whatever you need help with, I can help because I just want to learn. And that was basically the backstory. But it was so funny because Larry wasn't someone from NBC or even from being he has his own company. He was just there. So it was just like that's why it's very important to talk to people you know, and like really saying you never know, you never know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just knew, and now, like I mean over thirty years in casting, Like you know, when people say, how do you know? At this point in my life, I just know, and you can take my word for it or not, but at this point I just knew, and I knew sitting down with you and I was just like trying to figure it out, like how we could work together.
Speaker 2: I just thought, like.
Speaker 1: Everything I'm doing, everything that happens, I'm just going to call you, right, So I do Urban World, I'm going to call you. Yes, let me tell you something audience every year for the past almost thirty years now, because I was one of the first people to start Urban World with Stacy Spikes when he started it, and at that time, the readings that we did, the actors actually sat on stage and chairs. They had podiums to put their books and they just sat there and read. And so that Stacy was like, you know, Tracy, you could you know, form it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, structured it however you want.
Speaker 1: So at first the first two readings, I was like, yeah, it kind of stiff, right, And I was like.
Speaker 2: Well, if you guys are going to perform, let's perform, like, get rid of the chairs, get rid of the podium sots to a stage reading. And that's how it evolved into that.
Speaker 1: So I remember putting a bookmark in my head like I'm a cast Felicia in a stage reading and a couple right.
Speaker 2: I did a couple of books I did, but the one that I really liked that you did was it Binga. Did you do Binga? I think because the celebrity.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it was with John David Washington, John David Washington.
Speaker 1: That so that was Binga, because you know who else was there, Miles Tony Award winning Miles Fross.
Speaker 2: Because Miles with Binga.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, and ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: This is all before these people.
Speaker 1: Got well, John David Washington was known, Binga was known, but no one knew Miles Ross at that time. And Miles didn't even have a bonologue to perform for Robbie Reid because after so what happened you got is that after the reading, I moderate the Q and A with the writers, and.
Speaker 2: Then after that BT sponsors this event.
Speaker 1: During that time Robbie read, she would set aside an hour for all of the cast and they could do a monologue in front of her. At that time, when Felicia performed, she was doing the Soul Train TV show.
Speaker 2: She was looking for people. She had told you guys.
Speaker 1: Right, And I sat Miles right next to Robbie and I said, Miles, tell her I don't have a monologue, but I can see right.
Speaker 2: We laugh about that to this day.
Speaker 1: But every opportunity that I could find to bring Felicia or be a part of. Like that's how I felt our connection. And then when she decided to write her show, her award winning show, Ladies and Gentlemen, I want her to tell you about.
Speaker 2: That, I was like, do it.
Speaker 1: This is where you, guys, take your career in your own hands, because when Felicia sells this show and it's streaming, you guys, nobody can do this show, Felicia. I mean, of course, the powers to be are gonna intervene. Okay, like inside the black Box. However, this was your brainchild. Nobody knows this show but.
Speaker 2: You, and they need you.
Speaker 1: They need you, but this is the kicker. They know that you don't need them because you didn't. They They're like, we better jump off Felicia because if we don't, she don't do it anyway, and then we really not gonna.
Speaker 2: Be a part.
Speaker 1: So I just want to I want you to take our audience through this journey.
Speaker 2: How you were inspired to you being on Red Carpet. I think it was two weeks ago I saw on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Yes, well now yes it's coming up on the second week.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, see yeah, because it's still fresh. I still got the pictures coming up, so good, so tell us that journey because you're going to inspire other actors here.
Speaker 3: So, first of all, I always loved writing, but it wasn't until I was in because Tracy didn't tell you guys this. But she also teaches an amazing spirited actor class that I was also always a part of. But in that class there were I believe one of our homework exercise was to write a scene. Tracy also likes us to use all of our tools like write a scene. If you want to act, you also need to know the behind scenes. And the scene that I wrote was I believe it was about a couple, but very simple. But that's what really kicked up my Oh, I can write a script because before I used to write in book format novels, which is totally different. And then during COVID, as we know, everything's shut down, there were no auditions, nothing, and a couple of my active friends like Felicia, well, you're the writer, so write us some stuff and we can try to see if we can film it. So that's really how in a New York Minute started because it was like, Okay, how can I write this, what can we do using our own apart mints, our own resources, our own locations, so that we can get something down. So during this time period, when we get back in front of cast and they're not like, well, what have you been doing? Like you know, like what have you been doing, we can show you what we've been doing. So that's what really started in a New York minute, And then as I got deeper into the writing, the story really encompasses the African American and Latino community and how we don't take therapy seriously and how it's something that a lot of men don't really speak about. And I wanted to shed a light on that I have brothers, but also there are a lot of times in the era that we grew up, boys were taught be tough, stop crying what you're crying for, don't do this, And I wanted to show that these are now the men that we have, and it's like it's harder for them to be vulnerable, it's harder for them to express their feelings. So the show, which was supposed to be at first lighthearted about couples and just making it through New York, it has this bit of seriousness that it's like other men hopefully can relate to everyone can relate to as far as like being in New York and doing the struggle and trying to find your dream and it's expensive here. But then also there's that mental peace, right, how do you keep yourself going? How do you motivate yourself to know, like a bad day is not every day? And that's where the whole thing came in. But of course I got to use great actors that are currently spirited actors and alumnis Jalisa, Reina, Sasha, and I feel like keeping those connections for who you have, whoever you're like in classmate or you encounter, is also very important because we all have to help each other, right. But yeah, so that was go ahead, excuse.
Speaker 2: Me, no, no, no, I was just gonna say.
Speaker 1: I think you met because at that time I was also teaching classes next in my house. And I remember when you and Sasha got together, maybe you read a scene or something together, but after that.
Speaker 2: You guys were locked in as friends. I remember.
Speaker 3: It's true, so true. We never never split after that. And Rain is amazing too. The crazy part. I met raina through taking another class, initially with Yolanda hunt, which you also are. So it was just like so many things of like just keeping the community together. But after going ahead and we shot this throughing COVID and it was hard, but we got it through. And then a year later we were featured in now the New York Latino Film Festival and then also Arts and Arts Festival in Calli. And I say all of this because that was started twenty twenty one. We're in twenty four. So it's just the whole like, don't give up. Everything takes time, but you just have to stick to it. Like you can change the course or whatever and the journey, but that change the end goal.
Speaker 1: Right, And you know what I've learned, Felicia, And you know, my show was eighteen years of holding the vision right for Inside the Black Box, and what I learned throughout the process at the end of season two.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that there are these sort of guide rails, guide rails, or what they call them the rails. Right.
Speaker 1: What I mean is I'm glad that when you're on a journey pursuing your dream, that it doesn't happen the way we want it to happen, right, because ideally, right, we're both creators if it happened the.
Speaker 2: Way we want to happen, we would be at.
Speaker 1: The network we want, have the choice of actors all of the titles.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: But that's not the way it rolls in this business. You have to go through the boot camp. That's what it is. It's the boot camp. Because listen, ladies and gentlemen. Right now, Felicia has invested in herself and I'm sure, and I pray and I want to be one of these people too, but I'm sure people have invested in her as well. Right So the financial investment that you have right now, it's going to be tenfold when someone buys it for.
Speaker 3: Me, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, no doubt.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, on top of the fact that it's going to be tenfold, the wisdom and the knowledge that Felicia has gained on this journey because I know she is a researcher, a googler. I know she covers all of her duetiligence. I work with her, you guys, I know. So what I mean by that is that when you get in a position like myself and you're talking to these quote unquote powers to be a crackle, you're talking to these powers to be who have those resumes and TV and stuff, you're neck and ut with them. There's no, Well, you don't have the experience you're here. No, no, Because I'm gonna tell you when you don't have the money, the resources, and all of those things to create and make something happen the people who have the money, that's cute because you could make it happen out enough, Yes, and that makes you more powerful, And that, to me gives you. Because I kept saying to myself perst season of my show, I kept feeling like a little in balance, right, like Cracker was here and they were trying to position whatever. One day I was in the dress room and I said, wait a minute, both of that, well enough. I called Jill Morton and asked Jill Morton to be on the show and be my co host.
Speaker 2: Right, They didn't, right, gave me such a list.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm saying that the boot camp is not set up to struggle, to make you feel bad, to doubt yourself, and all of that is set up to prepare you for what you're going to deal with when you get in the ring with the powers to be that run this Hollywood and then the budget. If you could take twenty dollars and make it one hundred, imagine when they give.
Speaker 2: You that seven eight figure deal, right, what's you going to do?
Speaker 1: So that's what I feel like because I say this, Felicia, because I know what the journey is like.
Speaker 2: I've seen you, We've had conversation, I've seen your show.
Speaker 1: But I'm so happy that regardless of what has gone on and maybe a camera fill or whatever, you keep going.
Speaker 2: There's nothing in your mindset that's like, I hope this she will get picked up, whether.
Speaker 1: You get picked up by Paramount or Pride is gonna get picked up.
Speaker 2: There are two men.
Speaker 1: I'm on your team man, and I'm you know when when it is time. I'm in a position now working with a woman who I said, no, you didn't get a chance to meet, Zoe Bridged Bridgman.
Speaker 2: She has.
Speaker 1: Her name is Zoe Bridgeman. She has a production company called Late Bloomer Productions. And this is God because this is a massive show all of you, and this is to you, Felicia. It was a year in July I have worked with this woman and July of last year she was able to put some financing together and then it ran out August September, but Spirit said stay with her, stay.
Speaker 2: With her, And now we cut two.
Speaker 1: Not only does she have financing for her film, but she has financing for her production company.
Speaker 3: You see, amazing, amazing Back to.
Speaker 2: You, Felicia. This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're because when the awards start coming, eyes are on you. So right now, there's a community that has their eyes on you, watching you see what you're going to do.
Speaker 2: Because the first season is always like that's cute.
Speaker 1: It's the sophomore season that happens, right, So you've gotten there, so you got eyes on you, you got.
Speaker 2: People like what she did this and blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, the awkward black woman goes to insecure HBO. That's what I'm holding for you, and I know you're going to do it because you put in the work and you're deserving.
Speaker 2: OPTU thank you so, because I'm holt of that vision and that's where I am. Where do you see in a New York men?
Speaker 3: So season two, I'm glad you said that is actually coming out November, which we're so excited about because it's in November. Yes, Okay, we don't have the exact date, but it's coming November. And you're so right about season one being that whole like, oh, you're learning, and then season two like, Okay, we know we have to do this different kind of thing, and it's amazing to see the journey already And honestly, what I really want for this, no matter what production picks it up or network, it's more of to make sure that I had, like you said, have something under my belt that when something else comes up with if I write something else, It's like, I'm not a new beginner at this. This is not my first radio so making it a great, strong foundation is what's really more important to me than getting picked up. But I would love I love Peacock. I would love for Peacock everything that allowed. But yeah, honestly, any kind of streaming everor that is going to get them the story across effectively, because I feel like the story needs to be told about mental health in the minority communities.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I am Fulicia, I'm gonna tell you, I just left two sets in May.
Speaker 2: One was the Lifetime movie.
Speaker 1: Obduction at HBCU with Lcory Notaton and then Naked Gunn I coached Buster and these both in Atlanta. And what I am stressing with actors right now is that the studios, including yourself, have discovered that you can shoot in twelve, fifteen, seventeen, twenty one day. And what that means for actors you don't have I just coached someone the other day and said, listen, you don't have warm up time anymore on the set. Do you understand you don't have let me run lines on the set. You have you better get there volcanic coott right, you better have at least I personally would say anywhere between five to seven choices per see, just some.
Speaker 2: Work here, because what you don't want to do. And I worked with one of the topics actresses in the business Victory nonven, and she was asking for a second take.
Speaker 1: So if you're not prepared and put everything in that first take, they're going to be sadly, sadly disappointed when the director says moving on, and you're like, I felt my eyelash if I left eye and they're like whatever, moving on. So the urgency of having it together is more at stakes than it's ever.
Speaker 2: Been in the history of Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Because I come from four six eight week shoots depending upon the budget. The other thing is what I want to say to you.
Speaker 2: I applaud you.
Speaker 1: I applaud you for doing the work that you are because in essence, you are preparing them.
Speaker 2: But the story is what we need because what I saw Felicia in Atlanta on both sets anxiety stress.
Speaker 1: And I've never worked at Tyler Perry's studios, but I know from actors telling me it moves fast.
Speaker 2: Scripts changed so much and if you.
Speaker 1: Are not grounded in some way, that can definitely affect your mentally. And the thing that people have when I'm on set and working with them, they have the advantage of me sitting in video village. I can take a shot of where the camera is so you and then come and say, Felicia, this is the this is a close up they're doing, this is the why that they're doing, or make help you make the adjustments. If the director says I don't have any notes, I'm cool.
Speaker 2: So you are.
Speaker 1: Preparing them, which I love. But at the same time, this show is definitely bringing the awareness that people need.
Speaker 2: Actors need if they have that they need to talk to someone and they need to because you know how set moves.
Speaker 1: You know and if an actor is not mentally stable in that process, that could cause you know, and that's just what I saw and sense on the film where actors, you know, actors were coming up to me.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know, can I run lines with you?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, first of all, I'm with the notary or not, and then second of all, I don't run line.
Speaker 2: That's your homework done the home if anything.
Speaker 1: Read with Naori because you're the scene with her and vibe and get that energy, but I'm not in mine.
Speaker 2: That's your one.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to say thank you because I think that on two levels, you're going to bring a dynamic awareness with this story, but also encouraging people if you need help, still help because it's okay.
Speaker 2: There's no shame at texting me.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's okay to talk to someone, especially because you know a lot of times people don't want to talk to someone close to them. Why because you're like, I don't want this person in my business. Just think about this. You have a stranger knowing your business and they can't legally tell anybody.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like you can get it out.
Speaker 3: I always say the first step to healing and anything is getting it out, whether it's voice, paper, pen, music, but you kind of got to get it out of your Your body holds so much tension you have to release it in some way. So yeah, for therapy, there's different ways, but like definitely is something that should be talked about.
Speaker 2: I highly encourage therapy.
Speaker 1: I encourage marriage therapy, counseling before you get married, before, before, before, I've experienced it during my marriage.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, you know, just and I pray that, and I know this is a part of your message too in your story that if you.
Speaker 1: Do, it's okay. There's nothing quote unquote wrong with you. Because I said to my doctor. I love when I when I see my doctor and she says, well, you know, your blood pressure is up just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Nothing, you know, I don't need to give you medication now, just making you aware.
Speaker 1: And I always say to her, can you introduce me to that person that has no high blood pressure, that's just living, yo, just to live in this world. I got high pressure, right forget about my day to day, my children, my grandchild, just living and walking out of my door.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I think it's a carre is to assume or to think that there's anybody on the face of this world, this earth and globally who's walking around dope, blood, precious, chilling. Something is going on somewhere in your life or your extended family.
Speaker 2: Something. We have five minutes. I want to give it all to you, whatever words that you want to inspire, whatever experience that you walked away with and said yes, I want them to hear you.
Speaker 3: Yes for sure. So I think the number one advice that I always start to tell everyone is if you have like, if you can feel it and you can think it, it can come. So no matter what that dream is, it doesn't have to be something creative, whatever it is. If you envision a certain car, if you envision a certain home, God in the universe, or whatever you believe in, doesn't give you that feeling for no reason. So I'm always like, and it doesn't matter, like you don't have to run and sprint to the finish line, but don't ever give up those feelings, because I feel like the minute you do is when you're also struggling with yourself of like do I have to choose or what do I pick? Like, No, that's your goal and that's what you want. It's okay to want, and it's also okay to want different things. You don't have to stay on one path forever. Those are things that I definitely always keep to keep myself going that whole jolly thing. Like you said, it's like, yes, I am usually keep myself in good spirits because I don't like to feel down for too long. But it is work. It's journaling, it's talking to people, it's having great mentors like you, Tracy. It's like knowing that if I do get a big audition because I deal do still act, I can call Trace to say, hey, I need you to brun this with me. It's having those resources and just knowing that no matter what, even if you're down, it's okay. The only way from down, and this is one of the biggest lines in the web series is up. So if you hit rock bottom, it's okay. You have to get up, and it's okay to be down. It's not a bad thing. That's just life, the role of the life. But for sure, just always make sure you keep resources around you and it's okay to let all the emotions out, like at any time, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Well, police, I want to say this, excuse me, I started a new class called the Playground, which is a membership. Basically it is fifty dollars a month and it is a three hour class and it's the playground where we're coming to play. And the last hour is for industry guests to answer questions, give inspirational feedback, allow actors to vent positively, and give them some sort of virtual embrace, because you know, I do want to hug my people, but you know, the virus is still out there, son, That's why I just called. I'm still but I want to extend an invitation to you. We're going to play tomorrow from twelve to three at the South Oxford I'm telling you audience at twelve to three at South Oxford Space, which is one thirty eight South Oxford Place in Brooklyn, near the Bar play Center. You do have to register to come in, but industry guests are an invitation only.
Speaker 2: We have seven industry guests.
Speaker 1: Coming tomorrow, three of which are casting directors, and I've just confirmed a director that I'm really excited about because he just got a film with Lifetime, just got it amazing. So I would love for you to come and be our industry guests, and if you can't make it. Tomorrow, last Saturday of every month, we are at the playground. We come to play It's going to be a safe, supportive, loving environment for actors to.
Speaker 2: Work on monologues, work on new ones, bring in I have in the scenes. I have an actor coming tomorrow that's bringing in a scene that he's doing on Sunday, so he wants to work with someone. So it really is and like you, you can come in and bring in a scene that you're working with, maybe it's stuck or whatever. You can bring in the scene. They can read for you.
Speaker 1: You can cast out of the actors that are gonna be there. I want actors to have fun. I'm trying to get ahead of the stress. I'm trying to get ahead of the anxiety and remind the actors why they're doing this in the first place. So this is your I would love to have you there. So let me know we're gonna go put. We'll be in the playground tomorrow from twelve to three. We got playground rules and we got a playgrounds, can't you that's amazing?
Speaker 3: No, I love thank you for them. No, I'll definitely come tomorrow. Okay, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing a wrong.
Speaker 1: And I'm such a kid, like I am a big kid, because all last night I was thinking, what do.
Speaker 2: I need in the playground?
Speaker 1: I need balloons, I need a cotton candy machine.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, Tys, calm down, just the idea. It's not literally so you're not going anywhere, Felicia.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing on our co executive producer of the show, else Lathan and Elsa is going to bring on the actors who have been so I pray inspired by this young woman.
Speaker 4: How could they not thank you, Felicia. That was fantastic. No. Absolutely, So today we have two of our spirited actors, one semi og spirited actor and one new spirited actor. We have mister Aaron Bolware. You can come on camera, Aaron, and we have mister Damian Long he can come on camera as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would. I would consider both of them ogs. Now, Okay, No, it has nothing to do with age.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, no, you know, I'm telling them audience, it's not about age.
Speaker 2: It's about you know, their commitment to the spirited actor.
Speaker 4: All right, absolutely, absolutely, thank you guys for being here. Aaron you can you're up first. What's your question?
Speaker 5: Felicia, thank you for taking the time out. When I was first asked a coo here and to ask you a question, I was like, what can I ask him? So it was interesting to hear that you're a Googler and you research, so I researched you. So I went out on your id IMDb pro and I see that you did, Uh, what's that?
Speaker 2: Stupid cupid?
Speaker 6: I watched that.
Speaker 5: I watched that, and then I've watched New York in the New York Minute too.
Speaker 6: So my question is what is the key to.
Speaker 5: Writing a creative like writing something really creative that resonates with people.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: I think the key is to always and I know a lot of people are shy away from this, but putting your own personal story in it so something that a lot of people don't know. In a New York Minute, I am every single one of those female characters, like I have been in that stage of my life in every so it was almost like, yes, you can create, but in order for people to relate or be personal to something, you got to add person like personal experiences. So I think a lot of people are like, oh, I don't want to tell my story, like it doesn't have to be your story to the tea, but bring in how you feel into the story. How would you react to something, because I feel like sometimes people get so caught up in the script and the lines. It's like, no, realistically, somebody breaks your cup, what are.
Speaker 4: You going to do?
Speaker 3: Like you know, like you don't have to say a line, but how does that make you feel? So I think the key is to always personal and also with the research. The Latino community is also big in my web series. I'm not like, I don't self identify, but I have friends, so I asked them, I asked research to make sure that you're also making their voices amplified from them and their point of view. I think that's also very important. But definitely bringing in your own personal experiences. That's what's helped with Stupid Cupid in the New York Minute, the series, it's always something like personal.
Speaker 1: And I just want to ask that, Aaron, because I'm feeling your writing creative vibes right now. As soon as you said, I was like, Aaron's getting ready to work on something or he is working on something. But the best advice that I got in finding Forrester from Sir Sean Connery was write what you know, right, what you know, because nobody else has that experience that you have globally, like universally if you write about death or grieving or marriage weddings, that's universal, but it's not. Your experience is not their experience, which makes it a unique story.
Speaker 2: Write what you know?
Speaker 4: Okay, ladies, Awesome, that's awesome, awesome advice. Damn, what's your question?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 6: Absolicious?
Speaker 7: So I wasn't familiar with your work, but now I'm going to be a big fan. And really my question was, you know, piggybagging off of Erond's how do you go about writing.
Speaker 6: Something you know where you feel like it's good enough to you.
Speaker 8: Know, not only tell your story but have it resonate with others on a level where they'll keep coming back time and time again.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a good question. I'm always practicing, I know, I said journaling, but I also I have two journals, like a personal one and one of like when I think of a story, I just write it kind of thing. But I think the thing of keeping people coming back is not giving away the whole story in one shot. So because this is a web series and episode, there's a lot of times where I'm like, I know the ending. I want everyone to know, and then it's like, wait, you have to kind of go back. It's a lot of rewriting, a lot of rereading or sending it to someone what do you think about this, and making sure you're like, okay, if this is the cliffhanger or if this is what is the juicy part? How can I extend that middle before we get there? So that's really what keeps at the end of every episode. What we tried to do was have it where it's like.
Speaker 2: But I need to know what happened to her?
Speaker 3: Or why didn't we find out what happened to this person? And even if you don't answer all of the questions, keeping those we're all curious minds, right, So keeping those open ended parts of a scene will have someone use their own creativity or want to know more. But that's usually what I do. It's a it's a lot of rewriting, a lot of like, let me go back, hold on this, this gives it away too fast?
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 3: What other character can we throw in here? That's really what it is.
Speaker 2: Gotcha thank you great questions, great great questions.
Speaker 1: Well Felicia and Damien. Let me just let you know she is watching the scene. But she has season three coming up. I just want to tell you very season three, and I think she gonna be asking director Tracy Boyd into an episode. I mean, I don't rumors in the street. They're in the street. They're always in the street, all right. But I want you guys the whole time. When we come back with the Spirited Actor Podcast, we are going to do class and session.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I'm excited to see Felicia in this position.
Speaker 1: This is so exciting to be because she's been on the other end, Ladies and gentlemen, she has been a class in session.
Speaker 2: So sit back, Sit tight.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be right back with the Spirited Actor Podcast with Me Tracy Moore and the lovely, the lovely Felicia Bishop. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with Me Tracy Moore. You guys miss out on the fun doing the breaks anyway. I am so happy to still have Felicia Bishop with us. She is the executive producer, writer, I'm gonna put director, casting director, and starring. She is in her own series, award winning in a New York Minute. Check it out on YouTube. We are going into class and session. Can't wait to hear and see her do this. This is Stunn be on.
Speaker 2: So I'll say you bring on our actors and the sea.
Speaker 4: Thank you, yes, yes, So today's classing session will feature mister Aaron Boulware. Welcome back Aaron and mister Damien Long. This is his first time in doing class and Session on the podcast.
Speaker 6: Welcome dam Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Today's scene is the Climb written by Reddie Pittman. Exterior Mountain Trail evening. Newly engaged Cameron is a fit young man currently scaling his latest mountain trail. He sees a small nook in the distance. There seems to be a fire lit. As he approaches, he sees an older man wrapped in a heavy blanket with his head head down, sitting by the fire.
Speaker 6: Hey, sir, how you doing a You matter if I sit with you?
Speaker 4: The old man, Julius respond, without breaking his attention from the.
Speaker 6: Flame, doesn't bother me. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Cameron sits down close to the fire and gets comfortable.
Speaker 6: Not to that side the block the wind.
Speaker 4: Karen moves to the other side next to Julius.
Speaker 8: My fault, I guess keeping that fire going is pretty important.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 5: If it dies, we die, simple?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Sure? Uh?
Speaker 6: How long did you say you were up here?
Speaker 5: A bit too long for my taste, not long enough for the creatures waiting to eat my carcass.
Speaker 4: Julius cracks a smile, while Cameron nervously chuckles.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I'm Cam.
Speaker 6: I just got engaged. That's why I'm out here. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Man, she's such a great girl, you know. She she's funny, she's she's cute. She's a software engineered so you know she makes great money too.
Speaker 4: Julius smirks as he gathers a small pile of snow on the ground with one hand and stokes the fire with the other.
Speaker 5: Really, she seems ambitious and smart.
Speaker 9: Good for you, Yeah man, I mean, and I never truly believed in you know, romance, true love until I met her, And now I just want to spend the rest of my life with her.
Speaker 4: Just then, the mountain shakes and the small avalanche drops them, drops them in the traps, them in the nook.
Speaker 6: What the fuck was that.
Speaker 5: He got a small avalanche? Lucky it wasn't bigger.
Speaker 6: Lucky? Look is this dude?
Speaker 2: We're tracked?
Speaker 6: How are we gonna get out of here?
Speaker 4: Julius continues to stoke the fire as it begins to fade.
Speaker 5: Please save your energy, You're gonna need it.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 5: I love my family, but I'm an old man and I've lived a full life. This fire, this fire can fully only no, only can comfort one of us throughout the night.
Speaker 6: What are you saying? You said, I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 4: Juliu's nods and pulls a large knife from his pocket.
Speaker 5: My daughter is.
Speaker 6: Newly engaged too, what I said? Congrats man?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 6: She really she really likes the guy.
Speaker 5: She says, he's really fit and kind of a thrill seeker. But one night I overheard her confiding to her mother that when he drinks too much, he gets abusive.
Speaker 4: Henry looks a little confused, then his eyes widening concerned as Julius drops the blanket and lifts his head.
Speaker 6: Mister Sherman, Oh, mister Sherman.
Speaker 5: Very respectful of you, but you weren't respectful when you hit my daughter.
Speaker 6: No, no, that was a mistake. It was a mistaken I get help. You're not good enough for buye. It won't happen again, missus.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know it won't. I know it won't.
Speaker 4: Julius clinches the knife and then grabs some of the snow from the pile and smothers this fire scene.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that took a terrible twist, right.
Speaker 1: I'm.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, okay, Felicia's you so okay? First, Damien, I loved your facial expressions, even from the jump of like when the avalanche came down. All of that was so good. And I especially love that I felt the whole surprises, like even though it's my first time hearing it, you both of you did great on like, oh wow, I had no idea this was happening kind of thing. And Aaron. I loved how you just played it so cool in the beginning with the blanket on, and then once the blanket came off, it was like, oh yeah, I got you. As soon as you said the line of my daughter got newly engaged too, I was like, oh no, I was like, what's happening here? But I love that you both stayed in the characters so well that I believed it. I believe that you were a dad. I believe that you know, Damien, that you were this thrill seeker and that you're outside in the Wilderness, like I believed every moment of it. I think this was a great job, a really good job.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I you know, I'm the worst, Felicia, because I believe, like when I'm blocked in, you know, people hate to watch TV or movies with me because I'm like this, you don't know, funny story. Really quickly, Naory not had a screening for the Lifetime movie.
Speaker 2: So I go to the screening.
Speaker 1: Notoria is sitting like it's very informal in this like the Soho house, but the Dumble House in Brooklyn, right, So they have couches chairs.
Speaker 2: I'm in this couch one row behind her. She tells me, She's like.
Speaker 1: Tracy, you were really into that movie. I would turn around to just get eye contacted you to.
Speaker 2: Say remember that scene or remember what happened here? She said. I was like I was in it.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying that to say when I even when Aaron said my daughters get married, I was still like it was.
Speaker 2: Then. I was like, You're gonna en it was great. I believe. I believe. So I'm gonna give you guys around on the clause, Felicia Bishop.
Speaker 3: That was really Goodla award.
Speaker 2: Winning Bishop ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did it, and I'm gonna tell you right now, now is the time to be to have her awareness around you.
Speaker 2: So Elsa will send you Aaron and Damien's pitch your resumes so you can have that for season three in the New York for sure.
Speaker 3: I've even working on something else called the bench and it's a shorter thing. So yeah, no, this is really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice, nice, Felicia. You know how I feel. You know there is always love for you forever. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, And I did tell you I wouldn't be asking you for a job, and I'm so proud to be asking you for a job.
Speaker 2: I'll send by real to you, Aaron Damien, thank you.
Speaker 1: For showing Felicia what we do here and who we are as the spirited actors. I also want to extend an invitation to Aaron and Damiens to come to the playground because listen, the zoom was on fire Wednesday night. I can't even imagine what's going to happen tomorrow. And industry people are like, can I come to the playground, Tracy, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yes, say it, put it out there. I've come to the playground play so right now we have seven industry guests coming tomorrow, eight including Felicia.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what the Night is going to present to us, but Felicia, thank.
Speaker 2: You again for being on the Spirited Active Podcast. We support you, we love you, and you are the reason why I get up and I'm inspired to do what I do.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Thank you Tracie for being a great mentor. We're having this amazing platform again. Eron and Damien, you were amazing.
Speaker 2: And when we come back, ladies and gentlemen on the Spirited act Podcast, when we Trady more, I'm gonna give you mad love, mad Love.
Speaker 1: And now it's time for Kudos Corner. Kudos Corner is where we celebrate, support and just love up on spirited actors and introduce them to you. This week's Kudos Corner puts the spotlight on spirited actor Mark Gutier. Mark has been a featured actor on shows including Law and Order, SVU, Evil Lives Here, and The First forty Eight. Also a gifted writer, he wrote, executive produced, and was one of the leads of the award winning short Black Roundtable, which was directed by my good friend Michael Boogie Pickney. Mark recently joined the cast of fellow Spirited actor Felicia Bishop's web series In a New York Minute for its upcoming second season. Kudos to Mark Butier and now it's time to give luck. Now.
Speaker 2: I know we're in an election year.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to speak politically, but this is what I will say. Words and images have power. I grew up at a time where politicians talked about.
Speaker 2: Each other's.
Speaker 1: Let's say, you know mistakes or there, or you know a bad track record. They talked about each other's work, ethics or issues. Right now, we're in a time.
Speaker 2: Where people are really disgusting in terms of dragging people's names, in terms of creating stories against other cultures.
Speaker 1: Where did we get to this point? How did this happen? Words and images are powerful, and it's so important that you are conscious of the words in which you use because they affect other people's lives.
Speaker 2: It's a domino effect. Words create.
Speaker 1: And I pray that we go back to the day what we are talking about each other's work ethics or work records as opposed to damaging and tearing down someone's character.
Speaker 2: That's what it really should.
Speaker 4: Be about.
Speaker 2: Hi. Everyone. The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore now has a YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: You'll get to see exclusive video footage from our podcast taping, as well as your favorite.
Speaker 2: Segments from the show.
Speaker 1: Make sure to like our videos, subscribe to our channel, and share with all your friends.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to also follow.
Speaker 1: Us on Instagram, at the Spirited Actor and at both Tracy Moore and at the Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore on Facebook and X. Thank you for joining us on The Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited podcast. Thank you