Speaker 1: All media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome. Today could happen here podcast the world falling apart, and its mostly just about that at the minute, but we do sometimes talk about how to put it back together as well. Joining me today is Garrison Davis.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: Garrison, Hello, Hi, And we're on the falling apart theme, and I think that we've been on that one quite a lot that last few weeks, but today we are specifically talking about the what I'm going to call the rendition of non US nationals by the Trump administration over the last week. The reason I'm calling it gets rendition and not deportation is because these people aren't being sent back to the countries they're from. They are being sent to El Salvador. Specifically, they're being sent to a place called second. So the Trump administration has attempted to send three hundred people who it accuses of being members of a foreign terrorist organization. We're going to get to how they get there under the Alien Enemies Act to a prison in El Salvador where they will be detained for a year at the expense of the United States.
Speaker 2: We're going to.
Speaker 3: Break down exactly how we got there over the course of this episode. So, the Trump administration has accused these people of being members of two different gangs. The majority of them, there's two hundred and thirty eight people are accused of being members of trend de Ragua. Trindragua is a Venezuelan gang that the Trump administration recently declared a foreign terrorist organization. Another twenty three it's accusing of being members of MS thirteen, which is a Salvadoran gang. The Trump administration use something called the Alien Enemies Act to remove these people. The Alien Enemies Act we actually spoke about it in November of last year when we were looking at provisions of US law that the Trump administration could use for its mass deportation gender. This is when we spoke about the Trump administration in the past has been quite good at finding obscure provisions of the United States law to exclude migrants. You can hear my whole series about Title forty two on that. That's kind of the paramount example. Right. The Alien Enemies Act is a two hundred and twenty six year old piece of legislation. The last time it was used was to inter Japanese people during the Second World War. Right, that's a pretty shameful part of United States history, and it's great that we're going back there. So who are the enemies in this case? Right, it's generally, like I should probably point out, the Alien Enemy Act is intended for like the people you were at war with. Right, So, if the United States is at war with let's say Canada, and there are Canadian citizens in the United States and people who have dual citizenship with Canada, and those people that are individuals within that group are suspected to be spies or suspected to be like serving the interest in Canada not the United States, that they could be excluded or detained under the Alien Enemies Act or sent out of the country, as it's the case here, and as we saw in this instance, there is very little recourse to appeal. Right, This isn't like a deportation hearing or an asylum hearing where you have a lawyer representing you, where you have even a hearing. Right. These people were rounded up and booted out the country in very short order.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like with or without due process, Like we should not be black begging people and sending them to the like Al Salvador Labor prison, right, Like this is like just doing this at all, even with du process would already be horrifying.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The fact that they're just doing it like without even any like court process entirely and like trying to like bypass that just adds like another level to an already like horrifying and you know, evil and shameful action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's terrible. I want to define some of the categories here. I want to start with Tendgua. Spanish understanders will will notice the word trend meaning train. That's because they came out of construction unions who are building trains as part of a Venezuelan infrastructure project in Aragua, which is part of Venezuela. There are other Venezuelan gangs. Trendliano is the other one that springs to mind, which has come from the same place, and that's have similar names, but just people should understand that they're different organizations. They also have a strong presence of Venezuelan prisons. They have in the past been accused of doing violence on behalf of the Venezuelan state. By twenty twenty four, I thought to blame them for the protests after his election. People remember that election was widely seen as fraudulent, and I covered that in my series on the Dariant Gap. If people want to learn more about Venezuelan politics of migration to the United States. In twenty twenty four, Biden names that I were a transnational criminal organization, and then Trump named them a foreign terrorist organization. He labeled several cartels as ftos as well. At the time, there's a lot of speculation about why was it to allow for like drone strikes or co operations. I think we're now seeing that this was part of this large employ of deportation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because like quote unquote terrorists had even less quote unquote rights than quote unquote criminals. Yes, right, Like it's it's like like the like the triangle of like which which deplorable class has the least about of rights. Terrorists are always like the ones with the least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we've been doing that for twenty odd years now with Tiamo Bay and renditions to Egypt and Syria and other places. In this case, people are being sent to Sikot, which is this prison in El Salvador sometimes. Can you spell that, yeah, Cecot centrocult Yeah, sea Cott. Yes. It stands for Terrorism Confinement, Terrorism detention Center. It is largely referred to as a super prison. Right. It was built in El salbad Or by part of his Iron Fist would be the way you translate. It's iron Fist policy against gangs and against crime, and it has been widely condemned for human rights abuses. People are crammed into cells with more than one hundred people, but there are fewer bunks than there are prisoners, right, so they can't even all lie down at the same time. The bunks don't have bedding, they're just flat like metal sheets. They're four high, so you have to climb over other people to sleep. For more than one hundred prisoners, there are two open toilets. That's the only access to a bathroom that you have. They might be allowed out for half an hour each day. They're not allowed to communicate with their families or the outside world. They're forced to shave their heads and they all wear white. The lights are left on all day. As I said that, they're provided with no bedding, no contact with the outside world, very little access to anything other than standing in that cell. There's two bibles in each sat. It's the only sort of entertainment they're allowed. It just sounds like a torture camp. Like, yeah, this is completely inhumane, right, It's horrific. And for a couple of years now, bu Kelly has been doing like these media tours the of SICOT like using it to generate content. It's very much designed to generate this image of like, this is what will happen to quote unquote, what will happen to you if you're a quote unquote in a gang. It's sort of been used to promote his image of someone who's taking an iron fist to gangs. And as we saw when these people were sent to us ABAD or this tendency to use I don't know what you would call it, incarceration as a way of making content, it was was very much the case here, right, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to break for ads.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we will be consuming content that is people being stripped of their human rights and we are back, Garrison, Do you want to go ahead and play this? And so the the tweet in question, the zet in question, it's by Naibuke, the president of Bel Salvador. Right, should I read out?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think you should. I think it's worth noting that like this style of propaganda close to the mirrors a lot of what like DHS and the Trump administration is doing on their official accounts. So a lot of a lot of the like mimified content creation format and like aesthetics being used to just display like torture and deportations and human arts abuses is very common among government accounts in the States right now. It's pretty pretty horrifying to look at. And this this kind of follows this suit and is possibly even more bleak. Yeah, but yeah, we should read read this whole message and then and then we'll price skip around on the video and talk about what we're seeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'll just read it obviously, you know, to understand I'm quoting it hit early from him today. The first two hundred and thirty eight members of the Venezuelan criminal organization trend Raguas arrived in our country. They were immediately transferred to sikor the Terrorism Confinement Center for a period of one year. Parentheses renewable. The United States will pay a very low fee for them, but a high one for US over time. These actions, combined with the production already being generated by more than forty thousand inmates engaged in various workshops and labor under the Zero Idleness program, will help make our prison system self sustainable. As of today, it costs two hundred billion per year. On this occasion, the US has sent us twenty three MS thirteen members wanted by Salvadory Injustice, including two ring leaders. One of them is a member of the criminal organization's highest structure. This will help us finalize intelligence gathering and go after the last remnants of MS thirty, including its former and new members, money, weapons, drugs, hideouts, collaborators, and sponsors. As always, you continue advancing in a fight against organized crime, but this time we're also helping our allies, making our prisonessest them selves sustainable and obtaining vital intelligence to make our country an even safer place. All in a single action. They God blessed Sarbador, and may God bless the United States. I should probably just add that the US sent three million dollars to pay for these six million dollars I'm sorry to pay for the three hundred prisoners that intended to send.
Speaker 4: The Zero Idleness program is like one of the most sinister things I've read recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you could put out of a George Orwell or like a old Huxley or something right, and it wouldn't sound out of.
Speaker 4: It's even like you know, it's almost cliche now to point like German work camps.
Speaker 3: But like yeah, I mean come on, yeah, yeah, that we're doing it again.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we'll probably play a clip of the music and then I'm going to skip around on the video. You can just talk about what we're seeing here. It's first, we have a shot of an airport with three different planes and people getting rounded up and pushed on in single file. It has like this like action movie type music lines of soldiers.
Speaker 3: So as as the.
Speaker 4: People getting loaded on the plane, they're getting like forced forced down. There's like people with like guns, police military like manhandling people pushing their heads down, physically removing clothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're showing their tattoos there, right, that's what they're pulling up his shirt. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But like even the way that they just like walk around with these people like like like forcing their heads almost to like their concrete as they make them shuffle on the ground, like basic dehumanization. Shows them getting transported onto buses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they said they're arriving at SECOD now sort of bright white, very sterile facility. Now they're being forced onto their knees, yeah, and shaved.
Speaker 4: Getting their beards shaved, heads shaved, getting shackled, all while being forced onto their knees on the ground.
Speaker 3: Then the cops doing this are all wearing I guess balaklavas. I would describe them as face masks and hats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all of all of the military police officials are trying to hide their identity as they you know, publicly display the actions that they're doing, as when they're you know, shaving and holding people's heads up for the camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it it's it's a lot of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 4: You see them like pushing some pushing people all in matching white clothes in single file into cells.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is the cell. So we spoke about before. We will include this link in the in the sources.
Speaker 4: It's basically just three minutes of torture porn. Like that's like, that's what that's what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, it's it's it's pretty bleak, honestly, Like, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know what else to say about it, besides like it's it's just it's just like channeling pure evil, Like I like, it's it's I there's nothing else to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's I mean, that's I don't know how anyone can watch that and think good. So we should talk about how they're identifying these people, and we should talk about the process by which they were sent there. ICE policy says a person could be deemed a gang member if they office a note to quote gang membership identification criteria. One of the criteria that they seem to be using in this instance is their tattoos. So there are some gangs that have a process of tattooing to enter the gang. Right MS thirteen Mara Salvastructure, it's what they're mess stands for being one of them. These like Mara Central American gangs have tended to use that in the past. This isn't really something that happens with Trend de Ragua as far as I'm aware of. Some people they've pointed to tattoos of trains in a document they get found from the Texas Department of Public Safety. They're pointing to stars as evidence that people were part of Trend de Ragua. So I remember where Trend de Dragua does not have a policy of tattooing people specifically, because this is a thing that has been used by law enforcement to identify members, right like, it would be silly to keep doing that once once it's become so clear that the state uses that. So the one sort of case that I've seen legal documents on of these people, the one name we have one of these people who's been sent is a man named Hersirees Barrios.
Speaker 5: He was a.
Speaker 3: Footballer professional football in Venezuela who protested against my daughter regime, was tortured and detained a result I've spoken to. Probably I would imagine thousands of Venezuela and migrants. Right again, I would like you to listen to my series on Italian Gap if you haven't put a lot into it. All of these people have stories of watching people be shot, the brutal repression of protest, state violence, economic collapse, persecution for supporting the opposition in the country, right, and this is one of those stories. The criteria that they used to identify him were a tattoo which had a football with a crown over the top and then the word Dios God in English underneath. Rais Barrios' lawyer says that this is an homage the logo of Reel Madrid, his favorite football club. They have claimed that his evidence of gang membership. That's what the government is claiming here. The other criteria that they used is a picture of him throwing up the horns. I guess which I believe it means I love you in sign language, I'm not sure if I think an urban legend or of that's the case, and there are obviously different languages. But this is a hand gesture. It's especially common in the Spanish speaking world. If you're not familiar, I have my little finger and my index finger extended and my two other fingers curled up as if I was making it fist.
Speaker 4: Almost like almost like a spider man hand symbol.
Speaker 3: I guess sure, I'm not familiar, but if you say so to visually reference for people, if you are making a little cow like a bulk with your hands, sure you would be doing your shadow puppeting.
Speaker 5: It's very common. Like, yes, it's a very typical hands.
Speaker 3: It's a thing that people do when they're taking photos, like I've even seen it, like when you know, if there's if I'm working with a photographer and they're snapping photos of larger groups of people, people just do it, like just like people do the peace sign. You know, it's a thing to do with your hands. Those are two criteria they use. So I should point out that none of these people have been accused or convicted of a crime, either in the United States or in El Salvador. Right. Even if they had been accused of a crime, even convicted of the crime, the United States is very unclear what legal basis they would be to then detain them in Thel Salvador, right, Like the United States doesn't have a system whereby we can send people to penal colonies. At the time of writing, this has been challenged in court. Right, a district court judge attempted to block the A district court judge did block these removals. Now he actually blocked them before the people had arrived in El Salvador. However, despite this, the planes didn't turn around. And I'm just going to quote directly from what the judge said here quote any plane containing these folks and it's going to take off or is in the air, needs to be returned to the United States. And then it's another quote later. This is something you need to make sure he is complied with immediately. This didn't happen, right. The planes went from the US torn d Salvador. They didn't stop even when the judge had given its order for them to stop. Now, normally in illegal proceeding such as this, right that the government or one of the parties may not agree with the findings of the judge, and they may choose to appeal it right, that's very normal. You still comply with the order, then appeal it right. You don't just keep doing whatever you feel like doing because you don't think the judge was right. Like, that's in theory, not how this works. Now in practice, what means does a judge have to force the executive to listen to him?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We're not seeing any of them on display at the minute. The government has cited various reasons for ignoring the ruling. One of them, Press Secureary Caroline leave It claimed that there was quote no lawful basis for the ruling. Go back to my previous statement about how you're supposed to appeal things. They also claimed in court that a verbal order is not the same as a written one. That's not something that's generally understood to be the case, and that because the flights were over international water, the order did not apply. This was then part of the foreign policy powers reserved to the president. That last one is particularly worrying. It's you effectively don't have your rights in international waters role like humans don't have rights in international waters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just allowing the US government or the EUSt government trying to say that it's allowed to do whatever it wants if the action is being taken or not, like immediately on US soil or other foreign soil.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we're going to take another break, and when we come back, we will talk about their response to this judges ruling.
Speaker 5: All right, and we are back.
Speaker 3: So Tramp's response to this Judge Boseberg's ruling was I'm just going to read this is a true social post aka a truth quote. This radical left nudatic of a judge, a troublemaker and agitator who was sadly appointed by Barak Hussein. Obama was not elected President.
Speaker 2: M Dash.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say when it's capitalized, just to understand that it's sporadically capitalized in the fashion that Trump likes to do. He didn't win the popular vote parentheses by a lot exclamation mark comma. He didn't win all seven swing states. He didn't win two seven hundred and fifty to five and twenty five counties. He didn't win anything. I won for many reasons in an overwhelming mandate, but fightaling illegal immigration may have been the number one reason for this historic victory and just doing what the voters wanted me to do. This judge, like many of the crooked judges I'm forced to appear before, should be impeached. We don't want vicious, violent and tormented criminals, many of them deranged murderers, in our country. Make America great again, Tom Homan. The borders are also told Fox News quote, I don't care what the judges think.
Speaker 6: We made a promise to American people. The President Trump has made a promise to American people we're going to make this country say again, I wake up every morning loving my job because I work for the greatest president in the history of my life, and we're going to make this country safe again. I'm probably be a part of this administration. We're not stopping. I don't care what the judges think. I don't care the left. Thanks, we're coming too.
Speaker 7: I just love seeing you going through these protests. Is just crunching on the apple as they're liberal tears just just fle out the hallway. Tom Holman, thanks so much for joining the program.
Speaker 3: You gotta think this is open defiance of the courts, right, Like, I don't really know.
Speaker 4: It's what we've been talking about the past month on executive disorder. How we are just continually like ramping up this clash between the executive branch and the judicial branch. The congressional branch has already basically given up all of their power, and yeah, this is like an actual constitutional crisis. Yeah, very few people are taking this as seriously as what it should be, and even the courts seem a little bit tepid to like actually enforce their own power or like try to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Boseberg mentioned contempt once from what I can find on PACER. But like, obviously these judges I think are somewhat concerned that if they, you know, they find the government in contempt to court, then what happens because if you, like, yeah, if you play your Trump card and no one cares, then you have no carves left to play.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of odd how the judges themselves are seemingly afraid of like pushing this constitutional crisis into a explicit territory right to be like what if we do the thing that then makes it clear to everyone else like we have no power, like like we actually have like like it is just authoritarianism via the executive branch. Yeah, it's almost like they're trying to like backpedal from this like very obvious accelerationist push of like, no, we need to actually test test this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we need to know where we're at.
Speaker 4: Like, and they're scared too, because they're scared what if what if that testing causes like the Trump side to win?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they were already winning in the in the absence exactly.
Speaker 4: And the problem is that in absence of that, you were just giving up and letting Trump win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like after Trump called.
Speaker 4: To impeach the quote unquote radical leftist lunatic of a judge who tried to temporarily halt the deportation of of these three hundred Venezuelan immigrants. Chief Justice John Roberts made a rare public statement rebuking calls to impeach judges for rulings that don't align with political agendas. And that's as far as they're going right now. They're making rare public statements saying you probably shouldn't call to impeach a judge. Meanwhile, Musk complaints on Twitter dot com about a quote unquote judicial coup, and it mistakenly calls for sixty senators to impeach a leftist to judges. Now, of course, the Senate does not do impeachments. The House does, and the Senate requires sixty seven votes to convict it and remove someone from office once impeached. So, haha, we got you, We got you, Elon, you made a mistake, We win, not coing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's where we're at right now with this case. We're recording this. On Thursday, Boseberg gave them twenty four our extension to provide details about the flights. The government has suggested that it might claim that these are state secrets, despite the fact that it has widely publicized these flights, including in the video that we discussed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're turning these into fucking like tiktoking Instagram real hype videos.
Speaker 5: They're not state secrets publicly.
Speaker 4: You're publicly displaying these to show that these people are not human. Yeah, like you're trying to scare everyone into saying, we decide if you are a person or not, and if you're not a person, this is what we can do.
Speaker 3: This, we can do whatever we want to. Yeah, it should be noted as well. There is actually a process in US law, through the Alien Terrorist Removal Court for the expedited removal of terrorist suspects without revealing classified information publicly. In fact, Bosberg was chief judge on that.
Speaker 5: Court for five years.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: But we are not using that process where were using their Alien Enemies Acted today. So yeah, this is a new exciting territory. In On Monday, so that's the day that you're hearing this, a panel of judges from the District Court in DC will hear an appeal by the United States Government against Bozberg's attentive restraining order, the one that it didn't obey anyway, So we will have more on this, and we will keep updating you on this, and suffice it to say that I guess again this is a constitutional crisis. Like this is what it looks like. I don't know if people expect like fireworks to go off or like some confetti to drop and it to be like the separation of powers is gone, but if the government can ignore the courts, and that is what is happening. So I guess we will see in the meantime. These people, many of whom one of them was a musician, one of them was a football player, right Like, I've interviewed hundreds, if not thousands, of fens word of migrants, and most of them, it will shock you to hear, are just people who don't want to live with the state on the neck, people who want to make a decent living for their their families. For what it's worth. None of the Venezuelan migrants are met in the Dadian Gap or in the United States or have come to United States or my knowledge, just for people who are like wondering how those stories kind of resolve, they resolve with people currently stuck in Mexico in pretty terrible conditions, either working for very little or unable to work at all, and trying to work out what to do. It's pretty bleak for them, it's pretty bleak for us to if this is the duration that things are going. I don't ever have much more to say.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know what else there is to say about them, just bypassing the courts to do a complete authoritarian overgrab so that they can send hundreds of people to essentially like a labor camp black site in a different country for an unknown period of time without any legal process.
Speaker 3: Gets to be clear, not all of these people even entered the United States between ports of entry, which has been charged as a misdemeanor generally isn't charged. Some of them came with the CBP one the fucking app the thing you're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: These are not proven criminals like these.
Speaker 4: These these are just people, some of whom who immigrated legally and have been detained by ICE. I don't now shipped off to a like torture labor prison in a different country where they're going to stay for at least a year in parenthesis renewable, so like in depth ary, Like it's like.
Speaker 3: They can be forced to labor for the rest of their lives, a thing that has happened before in human history.
Speaker 4: No, Like, if you're like history understanders should look at what's happening and be like, oh, we're doing that again, huh. And the only way that this ends is with people getting angry enough to start doing something about it. And I feel like we are we're so like everyone's become so complacent that it's even hard to get people to care or like hear about this sort of thing from happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't have to be like, I want to phrase this in radical terms that you don't have to be like anywhere on the left to understand that, like, this is an assault on basic human rights. It's a sort on the foundational principles of the United States government. And everyone should be concerned about this. You shouldn't be a left right issue. This should be like a right wrong issue. So hopefully you can all have some talks with your family this week. I don't know, like, I think it's really important to push back on the idea that these people have done any crimes, because they have not, that they have been convicted or found using any reasonable degree of evidence to be members of gangs like trend de Ragua.
Speaker 4: And even if they have been convicted, they should not be sent to the Al Salvador Order labor camp. But the fact that they're not even convicted, these are just random in some cases, like random Venezuelan men who have been rounded up.
Speaker 3: For the crime of having tattoos. For the most part, horrifying. It is petrifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's happening like it.
Speaker 3: Is happening here.
Speaker 4: Every every day, We're getting closer to the Cool Zone as more and more people start taking this situation seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, yeah, take it seriously, you know, advocate for these people. Best of luck, And if you want to email us, you can do Cool Zone tips at proton don't me that's an encrypted email address, but it's only encrypted end to end. If you also send from an encrypted email address, do your due diligence, and yeah, send us, send us tips if you have tips, ideas, if you have ideas, and we will be back tomorrow with more things that are happening here.
Speaker 5: Welcome to could Happened Here? A podcast about bad things. Usually I don't know. This is mostly a bad Things episode. I am your host, Miya Wong, And one of the kind of things we've emphasized on the show a lot is that a lot of the structure of the kind of open fascism that we're seeing now is stuff that was put in place under liberal administrations and it's practices that are carried out by Democrats. And one of the biggest ones of those and this is something that I think you can trace the violence here and you can trace the politics that it inspired directly to how we got to Trump being in power is the just continuous crisis in the US of governments doing sweeps of encampments of unhoused people. And to talk about really one of the most horrifying things that happens regularly in a country of just unhinged and hideous horror is Emma, who does advocacy work for on house and disabled people and Alameda County, and Satya, who does support drink sweeps in Oakland when yeah, this fucking got hintshit happens. So both of you two, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having us. Yeah, thank you appreciate the chance to talk with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always want to say that I'm excited and like it is true. However, I wish I ran a podcast that was about like good things, so that why I could talk to people. It wasn't like, it wasn't me being like, yeah, I'm excited to talk about like the worst thing that happened. So I think a place to start on this is when we talk about what a sweep actually is on a physical level of what happens, because I think people really don't have a sense of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think stopped ya. Maybe you want to take this one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm happy to take this one. Yeah, thank you. I feel like, first of all, before I even go into it, yes, I think a lot of people who have never experienced a sweep or don't have loved ones who have been swept. I think a lot of people have no idea what a sweep actually can, even if in a general sense they feel that it's a bad thing or a wrong thing. And I think part of that is deliberate. Sweeps usually happen during business hours, during nine to five hours, because at least in Oakland, they're conducted by the Department of Public Works. They're city employees, they work nine to five, so accept in cases where they work over time, or when the city uses loopholes to get around posting notice and ends up doing a sweep on the weekend. They're usually happening when a lot of middle class housed folks are at work and not out and about seeing what's going on. So a sweep, and I'm primarily talking in the context of Oakland, California, but I think it's safe to assume that these operate in similar ways around the country. Generally, what will happen is you, let's say you're living in an encampment, a sweep has been posted in Oakland. There is policy that states that you're supposed to have received at least a week's notice. However, a lot of people don't receive this notice, might not even know that it's happening. You might wake up at around nine am to a bunch of heavy machinery pulling up dump truck, small bulldozers, other types of sort of like heavy equipment. And then you'll have somebody from the city administration, like a city administrator's assistant, going around announcing that the city of Oakland is there, you know, making noise that your tent or your car or wherever you're staying, saying hey, this encampment is being closed down.
Speaker 3: You have to be out of here.
Speaker 8: There usually are representatives of the city's contracted outreach organization called Operation Dignity. They're supposed to be there. Very rarely do they actually have referral for somewhere to go. They'll basically just be like, hey, do you want services. They won't usually specify what the services are. They'll just show up and be like, hey, do you want services. If you say yes or have questions about what services are available, they may give you a sort of very vague rundown of whatever might be available that because they don't usually even find out what openings are available until ten am on any given day, so at the time that they roll up, they usually don't even know what's available yet. So it kind of progresses from there. I mean, every sweep is a little different, but the commonality between all of them is that what the city is there to do is essentially to erase all signed that anybody ever lived there. So either you are able to pack as much stuff as you can and get it out of the eviction zone before the city decides that it's your turn to be targeted, or all of your stuff ends up in the back of a dump truck. There are other sort of specific pieces of policy and operational things that can vary from time to time, like, for example, they're supposed to follow a bag and tag policy, which means that they're expected to store up to a cubic yard of somebody's belongings for ninety days at a storage location in East Oakland. They rarely do this unless hounded to do so, and most of the time, the actual process as of going back and reclaiming your belongings from that location has enough barriers that almost nobody ever manages to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, so to just make this clear, the thing that they're doing is they show up and then they fucking deshoil your property, yep. Like the thing that it most closely resembles is like we're doing our own miniature ethnic cleansings. Like that's just like what that is.
Speaker 1: Ye, Yes, And every suite there are at least several police you know, depending on the size of the sweep, that can be even more. And so there is a very real threat of police violence like underlying every single encampment suite. And so the SUITEP that Oakland this week practices that Oakland has set up are like very kind of odd, and they are associated with different like lawsuits that have occurred in the past couple of actually since the seventies. But so there are certain requirements that the City of Oakland is obligated to follow in like certain provisions and offers that like homeless people are technically supposed to be receiving and for a bunch of complicated reasons, like rarely ever are so for instance, like the bag and tag policy that Satya was just discussing, Like da've recently somebody did a pra request to see whether or not to say he was actually following faithfully following that policy. And I think in like over a year there were I believe eight bagging tags that were registered in the city system. And that was in that same period there were like well over one hundred sweeps you know, I don't have the exact number on me, but or yeah, actually five hundred and thirty seven closure two instances of storing property. So you know that's people's their whole lives. All their possessions like precious items that they they're able to hang on to are just yeah, destroyed and they never see them again.
Speaker 8: And I would also add to the piece around like the quote like offer of services, Like that's also something written into their policy that they're supposed to be connecting people to housing ahead of sweeps, and that's what they use to continually justify the way that they operate. Is that in for example, city council meetings and Homelessness Commission meetings where city admin is questioned on their procedures because they get complaints, like the Homeless Commission gets complaints constantly of people being mistreated, losing all their belongings, never getting referred to housing, and so forth. And the justification that's constantly used is like, well, we're offering people service, says every time, and they just refuse them. And I think that that is pretty much the number one mythology that is continuing to spur a lot of the like pro sweep discourse in Oakland specifically, and I'm sure in other parts of the country as well, and people are not like to be clear, most of the time, people are not actually being offered services. It's just not happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a national discourse, he shares alt. I mean, you know, I think a lot of it kind of is concentrated in the most unhinged like tech sectors in the Bay. But like you hear like officially Elon Musk has talked about like, oh, there's there's like a homeless industrial complex and like all of these people are just like they want to live on the street, and like they're like turning down houses all the time, and it's just like it's so it's so completely unmored from reality.
Speaker 8: But what's funny is I've actually used the term homeless industrial complex myself. I didn't know that that's hilarious. There is a homeless industry, it's just that the people making money off of it are the people who are perpetrating those sweeps. The reason that they're not actually putting forth real solutions that will get people into safe shelter and housing is because they're the ones benefiting from the perpetuation of these economic conditions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many things that I want to pick up on, but I guess just on that point specifically, Like, there was an audit into California spending on homelessness. I believe it was over a period of seven years, and it showed that there was twenty four billion dollars spent on grants to nonprofits or cities to provide people with different services that are kind of designed around homelessness and providing housing or legal services. Like there's a whole range of things that's out there, but a lot of the time like these are the only options that are available to people, and they tend to produce less than stell the results. So, out of the twenty four billion dollars that was allocated to help homeless people in that same period of time, homelessness in California just like skyrocketed, right, So rates of homelessness increased while this money was getting plumped into the pockets of the bank accounts of landlords and developers. It is an issue that people on every side of the political compass like they like to use this point to their own ends, right, So Elon Musk talks about it, and like people on the left will talk about it. But I think like the experience that people on the street have is very different than any of these narratives that you tend to hear in the media.
Speaker 5: Yes, unfortunately, we need to take an ad break. I don't have a good transition here. I don't know, We'll move of one set of horrors to a slightly different set of horrors and go back to the first set of horrors.
Speaker 1: All of this money is being dedicated to these programs, and homelessness is only rising. I think, like one thing that I've heard before that's a kind of useful way to think about this kind of government spending is if homeless people would be better off if you just gave them the money directly, you know, then that kind of way, it's really hard to justify these programs when that can't be said of them, you know.
Speaker 8: And I think the thing that you pointed out, Emma, about the fact that we have huge amounts of money allegedly being spent on my homelessness abatement or homeless services at the same time that homelessness is skyrocketing is really not an accident, because what that money is really being spent on is to fuel exactly what is it, like, the homeless industrial complex. There's a reason that most of that money is going into the pockets of landlords and developers and then sort of like these sort of large like nonprofit almost like conglomerates of like service providers. And it's because the primary point of homelessness services as it exists in this country is not to get homeless people into housing. It's to line the pockets of the people that are making the most money off of the real estate market anyway. And so because of that, it is not an accident that you see homeless spending and homelessness like escalating at the same time. It's because this is the feedback loop, Like, this is the way that our you know, economic priorities in this country are structured, are such that those two things are going to feed into each other because that money doesn't actually exist to serve the populations that they say that they're using it to serve. What they do get to do is by claiming that that money is going into homelessness abatement, when clearly it isn't. They then get to spend a narrative where they say, oh, we've spent all this money, but the problem is just getting worse. That must mean that it is the fault of unhoused people and that they're choosing this because clearly the services must exist to get them off the street. In reality, that's not the case at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think also it's super important for people to understand that these programs, housing programs, shelter programs, they are out there but they are decoupled from the sweep operations that are occurring. Right So, the City of Oakland, they are contracted with a nonprofit softia mentioned earlier called Operation Dignity, and they are required to check in with its different encampments that are scheduled to be closed at least a week before the suite and the purpose of that is to notify people that it's happening. The City of Oakland is required for the terms of this lawsuit back in I believe twenty nineteen, the Moralees lawsuit, and there was a settlement that resulted in the city being required to provide clear notices whenever they're going to close like a site. So yeah, this nonprofit providers was to like notify people and try to get them connected with services. However, the services for the most part, like housing for people who are unhoused, is largely funded through the federal government and through this very like complex and inaccessible system called coordinated entry. The coordinated Entry system is not something that the City of Oakland or Operation Dignity like that is not something that they're providing people with during the sweep. So when the City of Oakland, like for instance, and one of the Commissions on Homelessness meetings, the city administrator Harold Duffy. He presented actually in response to a question about somebody's wheelchair being destroyed by public works. Yeah, he gave this really like roundabout deflecting answer where he said basically that everyone who is at an encampment at the time of the sweep has like expressly refused services like shelter or housing or whatever, and that they kind of presumes that the city actually has opportunities that they can provide people with, which is just not the case. The Coordinated Entry System, it is a program that is first of all, like only people who are disabled can get what's called permanent supportive housing through the program. But also it is in such high demand and is so inadequate to the needs that Alameda County is currently like the situation that we're in that the wait list is like thousands of people long, and it can take well over a year before someone can get housing through that system. So it's just like it's not true. They do offer people what are called community cabins, which are tough sheds.
Speaker 8: They're not even offerend people that they're full.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what they say. They offer sorry I had me to cut you off.
Speaker 8: I feel strongly about this, so I think it's also worth saying, like in terms of I feel like that's a really a really useful layout, Emma, in terms of like the way that the system is actually structured for people not to be able to access services, I feel like it's also worth pointing out that just day to day on the ground, I feel like I feel like I get to see a lot of sort of like minute details and changes in the way that they're operating in response to what they're like internal systems actually look like. And what we have seen over the last six months to a year is not only this pattern that I'm I was talking about of like they're like people are consistently not getting connected with services and then being accused of refusing services just due to the conditions that they're living under, but also everything that Oakland has and that approaches like livable transitional housing, which is kind of laughable in this case because we can also go into like the conditions of the transitional housing programs and shelters in Oakland which are abysmal, but everything that they have that approaches livable transitional housing is full.
Speaker 5: I very rarely.
Speaker 8: Every few weeks, maybe I see one or two people get referred to one of those programs, and far more often I'll be in a situation. For example, I was I was at a sweep over near twenty third and Northgate a couple of weeks ago, and I was there when Operation Dignity rolled up and I heard what they were saying when they were talking to people, and this one dude was going around talking to folks and he kind of he wasn't even approaching talking about services. He was approaching being like, Hey, I just here to let you know that this area is going to be closed down, Like there's so sweet that's going to be happening. So you guys have to be out of here. So that was what they led with. And then I prompted him because I was there chatting with one of the guys that he was talking to, so I prompted him. I was like, do you have any services to offer? And then he was like, oh, you can go over to Saint Vincent de Paul, which is congre Get shelter in West Oakland with about four and nobody is guaranteed a spot is just a room full of cots, a lot of people refuse to go there because the conditions are so terrible and they don't feel comfortable or safe sleeping in a room full of a bunch of strangers with no kind of security, no guarantee of being able to hold onto their stuff. People are only allowed to bring in like a backpack sort of stuff, I'm pretty sure. And you also have to it's first come, first service. You have to line up outside every single day, and you are not guaranteed an indoor place to sleep even if you line up outside. So what we have is a situation where the availability of services varies from day to day. I cannot think of a single sweep in the last year that I have been to, and I'm at usually multiple sleeps a week where there were enough guaranteed spots available for every person being swept. So the implicit assumption at every single sweep and the Operation Dignity people know this too, like they know this, the implicit assumption when they roll up, and the assumption that colors even the tenor of all of their conversations that they're having with people, is that the majority of people are just going to have to figure out how to pack their shit up and find another.
Speaker 4: Place to camp.
Speaker 8: It's the assumption, and it's gotten to the point where, like od employees will roll up and like I said, they won't even necessarily lead with an offer of services. They'll lead almost in the hopes that the majority of people already have a place to relocate. They'll ask do you have a place to go before they offer services, or ask if people are entered as services, they'll ask like do you have another spot to move this stuff first? Because what they're hoping to do is eliminate as many people as possible from their list of people that they feel obligated to offer services too because they know they don't fucking have anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's super important to just emphasize that point. The city is telling the media, they're telling businesses, anyone that comes to them with problems related to like hopelessness or concerns, they're telling them that everyone is being offered shelter and housing and it's just not true. That is reflective in the city's own publicly available data. So they actually publish like a list of all of the encampment suites that they've they do throughout the year, and in the Commission on homelessness meetings will report back to the Commission about like service enrollments that they've done through a certain period of time, and like from May to September they had enrolled I believe it was sixty people and to services like non specified services. And during that period there was approximately eighty sweeps. And if you assume there's at least five to ten people at every encampment when they do a sweep, and usually it's more that is like nine percent four point five of people like getting enrolled into into services, and like of those, maybe a smaller traction getting into shelter. And when they get into shelter, they just languish there, right, they aren't connected with case workers who help them get through this really convoluted coordinated entry process and like lengthy coordinated entry process, and so within a few months they're just right back on the street. You know, it's just ridiculous. And unfortunately, because homeless people have very little, like I guess you could call it social capital, you know, the city can get away with a lot of this stuff they do, like blatantly illegal things that are against even their own policies, and nothing happens. And I guess maybe we should back up a little bit and discuss the city's policy.
Speaker 5: It's from second at break and then we will come back more ads. I don't know by them question mark we are back. Yeah, so yeah, let's talk about I think what the city's policies are supposed to be versus like what they're actually doing on the ground.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I mean, their policy is their cover your ass technique, right. Their policy is what they refer back to whenever they want to sort of like like Emma said, if they're interfacing with businesses or house people, you know, and we have a whole range of house people calling free one one, which is basically their tip line for like go you see a homeless person that you don't want to be seen. But there's all a range of people. There's people that are actively malicious and violent, and there's literally people going out doing vigilanti shit and like destroying almost people's stuff on their own. And then you also have people that are well intentioned and really think the city is offering services. So you have this whole umbrella and the narrative that the city sells to everybody is bolstered by their policy. That's the purpose their policy services, not to inform their actions, but to inform their pr So I think it would be helpful. Emma, how do you feel about if you want to kind of give a breakdown of the city's policy and then I can kind of give a breakdown into what that translates into on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is like, it's kind of a complicated situation. But the city has what's what they call their Encampment Management policy, and it was initially passed in I believe twenty twenty, but it's gone through like several evolutions over the past ten years or so, and it is related to different Supreme in Court cases and the settlement that I mentioned earlier. So this policy, it provides certain very limited protections for people who are homeless in the city limits. The city is required by this policy to offer shelter. I believe it's a week for any person who's subject to one of their encampment closures. And also we mentioned the bag intag policy. So if somebody, you know, they are evicted and they move somewhere outside with the tent, they bring all of their possessions with them, they are provided with I believe three foot by three foot like storage space. And this facility that is super inaccessible and kind of like, I don't even know if it's actually real, to be honest, because it's just like nobody ever. I've never heard of anybody actually like getting their stuff stored and getting back. But technically that is a possibility. However, the city will only hold on to it for so long before they throw it away. And then the last protection or provision is the city was until recently supposed to provide people with shelter. So a few different Supreme Court cases are behind that provision specifically, and I think a lot of cities kind of had a similar policy framework that they were following until the Grant's Pass ruling, and I guess maybe we don't need to get into that too much, but basically, the whole idea of that policy was like, if somebody is outside the thing outside and the city suites them, they have to provide them with some kind of alternative accommodation, because according to like the Ninth District Court, it was consideredly cruel and unusual punishment to penalyze somebody for being homeless without offering them some kind of temporary like accommodations, And so that was more or less the city's nominal framework for several years basically, and the degree to which they actually followed these policies, you know, they really didn't, except for in certain situations where there are like, for instance, legal advocates who will file injunctions to stop the city from doing a sweep on the basis of like failure to provide an alternative accommodation. And typically those arise when there is a very large encampment clearing operation that is scheduled and a contentious issue. You know, a lot of the time, for instance, they'll be people staying on city or like California state land and the city will like force them to move because of some development project that they're planning to do. And so in those situations when the media has kind of narrowed their their focus and begun like discussing some of this stuff and the local press, then like something like that became possible. But after the Grants Past ruling this past year, the city was no longer like obligated under federal law to follow those policies, and in September of last year, the late mayor Shankal she issued an executive order that more or less like just totally rendered that policy framework irrelevant. So she put forth a new framework that allows the city to sweep encampments under a tiered system of what are called emergency suites. So if for instance, a encampment is blocking a roadway or a sidewalk, then it is a hazard to the public quote unquote, or if it's somebody has a tent that is up against a building of some sort, it's a fire hazard. And so in this tiered system, there's like different levels of safety hazards that they're doing. And basically what that looks like is like a fire marshal and the city administrator will convene after somebody calls in a complaint about somebody that's staying outside by their business. And with the fire hazard one, I believe that they can just sweep without any prior notice, whereas the other two there is some level of notice that they're technically required to provide. But yeah, so the shelter provisions and the notice and storage like it, they're technically still supposed to follow that by their own city resolution, but there is this provision that like, if for instance, they issue somebody like a no or a one hour notice to leave because of like a fire hazard, and like advocates can't make it there because they don't really know they know but knows it's happening. Then the city can just do that and not offer people anything. Right, So these policies have the effect of disempowering our ability to respond to like a scheduled operation, Then the city can really just do whatever they want because nobody's watching what they're doing.
Speaker 5: And I guess we can. I think we can take this here towards something I think probably good to start closing on, which is like, what can people actually do about this?
Speaker 8: First of all, I think listening to all of this, it can be really easy to feel disempowered and to feel like, you know, the walls are closing in and there's nothing that we can do. And that remains not the case, you know. I think people should feel empowered to be able to physically intervene, because the most effective way of physically intervening with this kind of violence is to commit to relationship building. Something that I've talked about a lot with sort of like fellow advocates and folks that are kind of involved in like sweeps response and crisis response in Oakland, is that the one thing that the city cannot take away from us, that we have an advantage over them in is relationship building. Part of the reason that, for example, the Operation Dignity employees are so inefficient and so you know, seemingly bad at their jobs is not just the fact that they don't have anything to offer, but also because everybody on the street knows they're full of shit because they never show up with anything real. And addressing house people in particular right, like, one of the things to get out of is sort of like the savior mentality or the guilt mentality of like, oh, like I don't have any housing to offer, therefore I can't do anything, Like I can't fix the problem, I can't fix the roots, so I can't do anything. In reality, all you really need to do is to learn to set that mentality aside and show up and like start meeting folks where they're at, Start meeting your neighbors where they're at, start building relationships. You need to know, like if you live in a particular neighborhood to yourself, I need to know that if any un housed person within a mile radius of my home was disappeared, I would need to I would need to know, you know what I mean, Like I would want to know if that happens. So if you go out with that understanding that you're starting to build lifelong relationships with the folks that are living outside in your neighborhood, ideally a lot of other people in your neighborhood too, you know what I mean. But like, what they're banking on is right now, while while they're still trying to use a pr cover for what they're doing, what they're banking on is people not talking to each other, people not finding out about the abuses, people not finding out about the violations, people not being there, and people not having relationships that will remain strong even as they try to physically scatter people's communities. And what you can do to start is start investing in those relationships. Make sure you know what people's names are, make sure you would know if somebody's routine was suddenly disrupted. Hey, Becky used to be on that corner, you know, every couple days of weekend. Now I never see him anymore? What happened to him? And I think you can start there, and there's much more that you can concretely do. I mean, one of the ways that I'm accustomed to showing up at this point is direct on the ground sweep's response. So we're still able to keep track currently of what their schedule is on a weekly basis more or less Like there's definitely operations we don't find out about until after the fact, but the majority of their weekday operations we do still know about ahead of time, and so we'll show up. We'll make sure we get there before the city does, so like by eight am ideally right, Like we show up, talk to people, will be like what do you need? Do you need physical help moving your belongings out of the eviction zone. Do you need to borrow somebody's phone so that you can call somebody who said they were going to come help you. Do you need help pushing or pulling your vehicle? Any number of things really, but just like being willing to show up and ask questions about necessarily knowing what answers you're going to get, and being down to follow up and like do aftercare with people and chicken on folks and like keep building those relationships. I think that those are the building blocks of the organizing that we're going to need to be doing in the future, because you know, what this he is counting on is that they're going to be able to successfully create a scapegoat. Right. They want to create like a faceless, nameless mass of people that they can pin all their problems on and then incarce rate. And the best thing that we can do is make sure that they can't successfully do that, because we all have relationships to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really appreciate those sentiments. Yet, and I think like the Oakland like advocates doing like eviction defense for people who are living outside. It's grown in size and like capacity quite a bit in the past year, and like the city has noticed that, so they've actually like they've passed various resolutions and honestly, a lot of their practices and their policies, like their encampment management team, they seem to be like responding to the increasing effectiveness of this response, just like network of community defense. And so I think that like all of those things are are so important, especially as the term regime starts to eliminate the very like modest social safety net that there was. And you know, before we end this conversation, I just want to emphasize that in Oakland, like a majority of the people who are homeless and are subject to state violence. They are non white, mostly black, and are homeless in neighborhoods where they used to be housed. And so the gentrification that has happened, particularly in like West Oakland, and the like influx of high end tech workers that displaced them and moved into their family homes, they are the same people who are calling three one one to push the city to displace them again, but from a tent or a car this time. And I think it's it's just so so important that particularly like housed people try to tap into the networks of community defense that exist in their areas. I'm sure that most cities probably have something comparable to Oakland, but with the measures that we're seeing, cities begin to take, such as in Fremont, which is about thirty minutes south of Oakland, where they basically banned or criminalized mutual aid with unhoused people. So you can get one thousand dollars fine or for six months in jail for dating and a betting a homeless person. And you know, it's an extremely vague.
Speaker 8: Law, so like giving someone a blanket could fall under this, so you could be fined or put in jail for giving an unhouse personal blanket and free month currently.
Speaker 1: So it's very important that people try to be aware of their city government, how they're maybe passing anti homeless measures and they're in their cities and trying to mobilize against against that from happening.
Speaker 8: I also have one more thing to add to that. I'm so sorry, just specifically for anybody, for anybody thinking about getting involved or organizing strategically around community defense, sweep defense, whatever that looks like in your particular area, I would say, first of all, especially if you're a house person in this case, like invest valuable time into getting to know people on an interpersonal level and getting to know people's needs first, instead of falling into the trap of sort of imposing what you might have learned through like other sort of direct action organizing, because this is not that you know, like I think, yeah, first of all, just making sure that you're being you're organizing is being led by the needs of you know, homemost residents that are expressing what they need to you. But also on top of that, when it comes to this particular draconian waves of legislation that are being passed around like anti homeless laws and stuff. Don't preemptively obey, you know what I mean, Like, if you live in Fremont, don't preemptively say, oh fuck, I better stop passing out blankets. Because what we've seen in Oakland with the particular iterations of anti homeless legislation that they've passed here is that just because they've passed legislation doesn't mean that they feel confident enforcing it yet. And what you need to do really is step up real hard and show them you can't enforce this the way that you want to, and they're going to push back. There's going to be this back and forth interplay that we've seen, you know, for example in Oakland with the safe works and ordinance, which we can probably get into another time because it's way too much to get into right now, I think at this point in the episode. But it's a two way street. It's this fight that you have to play to show them just because you've passed this legislation doesn't mean you can enforce it in a particular way. You have to give them something to fight against, you know what I mean. So that's just the other piece, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like and the rest of their policy is absolutely one hundred percent evidence that if the state doesn't want to follow the law, it isn't real. But that also means that, like, if they can't enforce a law like it also effectively ceases to exist. That's just the sort of balance of forces here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there is a lawsuit currently against that, and it sounds like, you know, the City of Fremont is probably going to be removing that aiding in a betting clause from the resolution, but because that specific provision is actually like in the city's municipal code as a general provision provision, so you know, even if they do remove it, charges could still be brought against somebody. So like, really the entire ordinance needs to be eliminated all together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess do you have anything else that you want to make sure that you get in before we close up?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, not nothing that comes to mind. But yeah, again, I super appreciate you having us on to talk about this. Yeah, you know, shit is rough right now. I think for me personally, it's been really helpful to direct my energy towards things in my social network in a way that's like constructive and helpful to others. So I would definitely suggest if you're feeling like any despair or like worried about becoming like black pilled or whatever, like, yeah, just try to tap in and focus on things that are happening in your community. It's good for you and it's good for the people in your community.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just seconding that, I think like being able to tap in specifically with like the types of unhoused organizing and underground economies that exist wherever unhoused people exist, and like being able to like tap into that and like you know, again like speaking from the perspective of a house person, like really humble yourself and learn from that. Like you're going to learn a whole lot more relevant life skills just hanging out in social settings with people in the street than you are in any other area of your life. So just go balls to the wall, just start hanging out, just like spend all your time loitering, Like just that's that's where we need to be right now. Is loitering in the street. That's where the organizing is happening.
Speaker 1: So yeah, street claim space, Oh yeah, this.
Speaker 5: Has been ni could happen here. Go loiter on street quarters and make the state's life miserable until it cannot do the things that is doing right now.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome to it could happen here, a podcast about how it's happened here and it continues to happen here. Sorry about that, but we're not changing the name of the podcast, you know, because we're not anyway. I got Jams stout with me, I got Garrison Davis with me.
Speaker 3: Woot woot, huzzah.
Speaker 4: So the past few weeks, myself is as well as probably everyone else on this call, has been getting a lot of questions from listeners via the various social media apps that we damage ourselves by logging into on a much more than needed frequent basis. But one question that's been kind of on a lot of people's minds and something that we've been discussing as like a group, is the idea of should you flee the country?
Speaker 5: Is the party over?
Speaker 4: Do we need to use the time we have now to get out? The Trump administration is cracking down on a whole bunch of groups of already marginalized people, people with fewer resources, immigrants, people who are here for asylum, trans people, queer people in general. It's getting pretty scary out there, and the thought crosses your mind, maybe there's somewhere else that's better. And this has always been a tough question for us to kind of think about because we don't want to like inspire panic. That's not the purpose of what we do here.
Speaker 2: You should try to spread calm when times are bad if you can here.
Speaker 4: But the situation politically in the country and in many parts of the world right now is extremely fraud and it does feel how closer towards like the bad nightmare scenario than kind of I've ever thought it has before. So it's so.
Speaker 5: It's a really tough question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think what we're going to be doing this episode is just kind of talking about this question and our thoughts around, you know, various responses to this line of thought, And I guess Robert kind of has a baseline like, kind of quasi answer that I think we can use as a jumping off point.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're someone who is being targeted, you know, or in a community of people who are being targeted, you know, you're a naturalized citizen, your hair on a green card, you're trans, you're any kind any of the many different groups of people that are being targeted right now. And you have the opportunity to leave and you think that that's the right thing for you, and you should do it. You shouldn't feel bad about it. You know, if you've got a job that is in demand in other countries and you know the process and can start the process to like get residency somewhere else and work somewhere else, and you know, make your life work that way, then I don't think you should feel bad about doing that. If that's what you decide is the right thing for you. That said, it's not, it's just simply not going to be a realistic possibility for most people. What is more realistic for a lot of people is, for example, moving from states where the risk is higher to states where maybe the risk is lower. Hard to say how long the risk will be lower, you know, but I, you know, I certainly that's more achievable for a lot of people than getting set up in a foreign country, as James will talk about, if your hope is just I'm going to try to go somewhere else like Europe or whatever as an asylum seeker. As again, James will go into more detail on life ain't easy for asylum seekers, and that's not really again, it may not be nearly as much of an option as you think that is right now, I you know, had to go through kind of my own process after the election of like, well, am I going to like, you know, get my finances in order and move to another country and basically try to like pay my way into getting a visa somewhere like in Spain, which is an option for someone like me. And I came to the conclusion that like, nah, you know, if the worst case thing happens, I'd rather like die here or whatever. It's just not worth it, you know, to try to get out. So I'm committing to trying to like hold the line here with everybody basically that I love in the world, because like what else are you going to do? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I will just say that, you know, I probably have met more asylum seekers than most people, you know, and it is one of the more miserable fates available to a human. It will if large numbers of people start leaving the US, only get worse. If you're someone who's a US citizen, you have probably not experienced much in the way of like strict immigration enforcement. If you have traveled around the world, right, you have one of the more high value passports in the world. You can you can go almost anywhere with a visa or in many cases without a visa. Seeking asylum is an extremely different process. If you think you're just going to get on a flight and leave and stay somewhere, like understand that many countries will probably begin to require reciprocal visas with the United States soon if we continue our current sort of pathway with by more isolationist immigration policy, and then you'll have to get that visa. And then you know, if you overstay, you will be subject to enforcement. The sense of permanence that you enjoy here might never be something you enjoy again. And that's just if you're able to fly somewhere, and so you try and overstay a visa or you try and apply for asylum. I have people I've met in every facet of my life, Like I know guys who I met as a bike racer who have applied for asylum. Guys I met a bike racer are staying on that bus in the UK. It is it is a miserable fate. And I think that's that I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying that you need to understand that it is highly unpleasant and it's tripped you of all dignity and in some places extists people of of like their lives right, people die migrating. It's also like incredibly expensive to do the things that migrants do because that everyone is trying to make a buck off them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I was just talking on another podcast about how the journey that people took up through the Darien Gap who tried to come to the United States, it would have cost them way less just to fly, but they couldn't. They couldn't get the visas. Right. That doesn't mean like if you know, if you have a historical right to citizenship through various you know, certain people have rights to Spanish citizenship, or German citizenship or Irish. Irish is one that many people have access to. Yeah, why not? Why not? You know, if you have the financial resources, when not try and see where that will go? Why not begin pursuing that totally?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, I think becoming a dual citizen, if you have the capability to, is a fantastic idea that I will like never dissuade someone from.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I would go so far as to say, even if you plan to stay here. If you have the ability to get dual citizenship, you should be pursuing that right now, absolutely, Like.
Speaker 5: Is it's something that you should do.
Speaker 3: It's often not hideously expensive, and it's something that might be Yeah, you have options, and options are good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I am very hesitant to like openly call for like now is the time to leave the country. I do not feel comfortable saying that for a number of reasons, like some of them are or more political, as in like I don't really subscribe to a politics of escape, even the idea of like fleeing states.
Speaker 5: I feel a little bit iffy about.
Speaker 4: Now. There's certainly, you know a lot of cases where families are trying to move, you know, outside states that have more restricted access to trans healthcare for minors towards more friendly states, which I totally understand.
Speaker 5: But I have greatly enjoyed getting.
Speaker 4: To know a whole bunch of trans people in the South, and a whole bunch of trans people here are not willing to leave their home. This is this is their home and it always will be and they're going to stay and fight for it even as things get you know, harder, And I don't think you should write these people off. I don't think you should write these places off. These these places are still a terrain of battle, and there are going to be places where trans people can still live and still live fulfilling lives in many cases. And that is that it's worth acknowledging, that's worth putting effort into. To the point that, like after the election, I was already considering maybe, you know, trying to travel around the country some more, And after this last election, my line of thought was way more on the side of I would actually like to spend as much time in Georgia as possible. I would actually want to stay in this South for as much as I can, because this is like not a place that I think people should be walking away from. And in some ways that does come from like a slightly privileged point of view for multiple reasons. As someone who's white and holds a Canadian passport as well as an American passport, that is, you know, something that I like to have as a back pocket option. But that's something I'm not like considering like at all, Like I do not want to move to Canada. All my friends are here, my life is here. There's certain scenarios where things get much much much worse, even though things are already getting quite bad, But there are certain scenarios where, yes, that passport will come in handy. And that's why I do encourage, like, no matter what you should you should see if you have any options to become a citizen in more than one country. It is a great thing to be. It's it's good to not be just tied down to one place. But the process of trying to to you know, immigrate somewhere where you do not have a citizenship is already quite challenging. And we will probably discuss some some more of this later because I think there's also a sort of like onion of a threat of people when you're when you're thinking of this question and like which people will will be or are currently being targeted the most, and how that kind of affects the options in terms of like relocation to places view it as like safer havens. And I like to jumpstart that onion of protection discussion. After these messages, we're back.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about onions which you need to wear around your neck to protect you from evil spirit scarce, And that's what you were getting at, right, Yes.
Speaker 3: Une move on to the next.
Speaker 4: Topic where five different onions to drive away the various secret police forces trying to hunt down individuals. Yes, speaking of I guess like the big thing I'm thinking about right now, or one of some big things, is there's different levels of scrutiny being placed on individuals currently in the United States. One you have like people who are completely undocumented, right. You have people who are who are currently here on like valid asylum claims who are about to get those rights like stripped away. I'm trying to think of like the list of refugees that were allowed under Biden that are now like like imminently going to get their stuff stripped away from the Trump administration. I know Venezuelan, Yeah, I know you run Haitian immigrants are another off God, but groups that have that have been able to come here the past few years that are going to be now seen as like quote unquote illegal by the White House and Immigration Customs Enforcement. You then have student visa holders which are already like currently under threat getting visas taken away. You have people on work visas. You have green card holders, and you even have naturalized citizens and among just regular citizens a naturalists, I guess people that were born here, you have other factors that could lead to potential hardship based on political affiliation or based on gender and sectional reality. And that's kind of like the bracket breakdown I'm working off of. So as much as it's like dangerous to be like, you know, like a trans anarchist right in the United States, I think that is that is fairly different than a Haitian immigrant who's about to get like literally hunted down by ice, right, And these people have wildly different realities, wildly different options for how they're going to like handle this question and handle like the decision of you know, preemptively choosing to relocate somewhere else. James, do you have any kind of thoughts on this like onion?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah. I mean, I think you described it well, right, Like I think a lot of folks are for the first time finding themselves in that onion at all, right, and certainly with respect to like immigration enforcement or potentially being forced to leave this country. And I think it would be good maybe to to look at folks who have been there for a long time and look at how they've done right, Because there have been people whose existence was precarious in this country for decades. Right, Maybe we'd go back to nineteen ninety four in Operation Gatekeeper, Maybe we go back further whatever, I don't care. Maybe we go back to the operation whose name is also a slur in the nineteen thirties. And I'm not going to.
Speaker 4: Say I mean, and indigenous people here have, like for all of America, I'm sure have been been people that like exist in a wildly different reality than like, yeah, most US citizens, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where, Yes, this country is predicated on the genocide of indigenous people.
Speaker 4: Well, and even in the ways that they're the like continue to live here. It's it's like a different world from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that genocide is ongoing, Like it's a it's not a thing that stopped. Yeah, it's not a historical thing. It's the thing that exists. As long as this country exists. I would look to those people, right, Like you said, Garrison, Indigenous communities, Indigenous people continue to exist in this country despite the best efforts of this country to eradicate them. Undocumented communities, right, Migrant communities of mixed status have continued to exist for a very long time. And like the way that they have got through this is together, and that's the way that we will get through this too. When there have been threats to migrant communities, migrant communities have shown up for each other. Right, they're doing that right now. You see groups like Anon dela Barrio in San Diego right like going around announcing when there are ICE presence of ICE offices in the neighborhood. The way that they have got through it is through other people in positions of procarity, showing up for one another and taking care of one another. And if that is a new position for you, if finding yourself further along the intersectional matrix of oppression is new for you, then like it's scary. I do understand that that that procurity is petrifying, but understand that communities and people have been here for a long time and look at how they've got through it. And in queer communities too to a degree, have been persecuted in this country for a very long time and have developed ways of not just like existing, but also like continuing to and to joy and experience joy and not just like live in fear, because I think if you live in fear, like you've kind of given up to a degree, oh you've let them win. To agree, I should say, like, I do understand that being new to this is petrifying for people, and like I don't want to just say like, oh, you shouldn't be scared, or you know, you should look at how migrant communities have taken care of one another, but like now is the time to begin establishing solidarity as well. So like those communities which have been precarious for some time, they're not closed spaces, right, Like you can be in solidarity with them and you can learn from them, and I think that now is the time to do that, Like, now is the time to build stronger links. If you're really worried about things being really bad in this country, and you have good reason to be right, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, shit's fucked up and bullshit, yeah it's really fucking bad, really bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you know, we're sending people to labor camps.
Speaker 2: If you're scared, panicking thinking I got to get out of here, I get you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean I think the thing that you should be doing, regardless of who you are, is you should be giving yourself options. You should be increasing the amount of options that you have, And like that is something that is never a bad idea. That is something that you can never do too early. It's something that you should have already been doing. Frankly, like I've been advocating for people to get passports, including an American passport, because that does make it easier to leave the country.
Speaker 5: You should be getting that.
Speaker 4: And it's going to be harder, especially if you're trends now, to get a passport that matches what you look like. Right, But this is still something I think is worth doing because it gives you an option, and you should be increasing the amount of options you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, yeah, it's never a bad thing. And like that community structure is an option too, right, Like people showing up for you and you showed up for them. That is one of your options. Don't forget that. And like that will also bring you join You will feel safer when you We're supposed to live in can munities. And like I you know, I've seen a lot of people in very difficult circumstances. And one of the Kurdish guys once said to me in the desert, he was like, whatever we do, we do together. And I thought that was very profound because they were at that time like dancing around a fire in the midst of what was like an open air concentration camp, you know. But if you can find a community, and you can find a way to continue to experience joy, then I promise that things won't be as bad as they seem right now.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Within the Kurdish Shrina movement, there's a phrase that is commonly used a slogan. You could say, I guess in Kurdish you would say beershudan jiane means resistance is life. And we should remember that for whole groups of people, many of whom we've featured here, if they had all just left, they would no longer exist in the way that they exist now.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Kurdish people have been oppressed by various states for centuries, right, Turkish, Iraqi, Iranian and Syrian. They've been subject to genocidal violence, and they've still remained there, right, and they've continued to fight against that state oppression, and they've created something beautiful today as a result that we can see in Raja. But the same is true of the Karen and Kareni people we've spoken to in Meama. Right. They decided to remain rather than to leave, and in doing so that they created a culture that was based on resistance and that resisted the ability of the state to exercise a monopoly on violence and to determine their outcomes. And I think we should look to those examples as we consider, like, what does it mean if the state becomes more hostile here.
Speaker 4: Something that like I think I think Robert said in our work group chat, which thankfully has not been turned into an Atlantic article.
Speaker 2: I did invite Pete hegseeth, so we'll see if he happs in. You know, he's rejected us all the good times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're trying to add the Atlantic editor in chief for years, he is not welcome.
Speaker 2: He's absolutely not Welbome fucked that guy.
Speaker 3: To seed him to manufacture consent for bombing another country in the Middle East on our podcast.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because it is like that is like the dream of every journalist that you just get added to the entire government's war planning chat and he just uses it to dunk on the Trump admin, like you get more info onlike anything.
Speaker 3: Than he like Home's back into the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's fucking hysterical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could have had four years and maybe not maybe even any one off chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would they would have they would have accidentally invited a different journalist. It was going to happen eventually.
Speaker 4: But yeah, But something Robert said in our chat is that, like, if you already had like plans or the ability to move to a different country of your choosing, then yeah, why not? Right Like if if you already were thinking about moving to Germany, which is very funny to say now, right, but if you already had plans and you had the ability to do that, then then sure that's something that that you that you should like consider. If you do not already have pre existing plans and means, maybe it's not something to put all of your effort into doing right now, because that is such a massive undertaking in general, and not everyone has that option, and there's gonna be people stuck here, and you know, part of like my thinking on this is is like I'm in a relatively privileged position. I would rather use the sort of benefits and the stability that I have to help other people that are going to be living in this country. So I'm going to stay here to do that. And that's part of kind of my thought process on a personal level, do I you know, one day, maybe one to live off the continent. Yeah, but that's like for personal reasons, not for political reasons. That that's because I think Glasgow looks pretty. And if you also think Glasgow's pretty and you want to move there, then that's fine. But I guess, like the politics of escape, I do find a little bit troubling in some ways, and I guess I would like to talk about that a little bit more after this at break.
Speaker 5: All right, we're back.
Speaker 4: James made a horrible face when I when I complimented Scotland.
Speaker 3: What was up with that when you said glass Gow? Like, oh, so Glasgow not not a city that's traditionally like aesthetically prized.
Speaker 5: I guess, uh, okay, well that's maybe Okay.
Speaker 2: Edinburgh is where if I was going to go to Scotland, I'd probably aim.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to live in the Harry Potter town. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: It existed? Okay, Yeah, that is rude, Garrison.
Speaker 2: Don't take that away from Edinburgh. I don't give her that all.
Speaker 4: The coffee shops are like fucking wizard themes. Now, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: You haven't been to Edinburgh. Don't tell me that ship.
Speaker 5: I've seen your travel pictures Robert.
Speaker 3: I'm they were mostly hard liquor themed.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 3: You can Edinburgh is a nice city. Glasgow is a nice city.
Speaker 4: You can enjoy it.
Speaker 3: You can enjoy it by stop by Karla on your way down the Uh my family are from.
Speaker 2: My favorite Glasgow fact is that there's a beverage called Buckfast that is twenty percent alcohol mineral wine made by monks that has as much coffee as a red bull.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And in Glasgow, Scotland, for a significant period of time, roughly one percent of all violent crimes were committed with the bottle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bucky is it's it's a whole subculture.
Speaker 2: Buckfast gets you fucked fast, That's right, folks.
Speaker 4: So a term I've used for like the past few years to like discuss this, to discuss this question of like can you like outrun American fascism is the politics of escape. And for a while I really was vocally opposed to this sort of politics because it felt like the entire world was going through a global far right power grab and no matter where you run, you can't really get away from it. And now kind of curiously, you know, some of some of this is still happening right, you can look at the AfD in Germany. But but some of what's happened with this Trump administration has almost weakened a degree of like this global.
Speaker 5: Far right power grab.
Speaker 4: Like for a long time, it looked like the Conservative Party of Canada was about to just completely take control over the whole over the whole country due to like be pent up frustration over Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party. And now due to the actions of the Trump administration, the Liberals have retaken a significant portion of like popular support and are probably gonna do a big sweep in the general election. That's going to happen, I'm guessing next month with the new Prime minister like about about to call one, which makes sense because he should call one.
Speaker 5: At the at the peak of support for the Liberal Party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after Conservatives have taken like a twelve to seventeen point depth, depending which pool you use. So for a while I was like, it doesn't even really make sense to flee to Canada because Canada is right on the coattails of America. Canadian politics are kind of historically but like ten years delayed from American politics, And now the new Trump administration is kind of thrown a curveball in this. British politics are always really hard for me to diagnose because all of their parties there are pretty wacky.
Speaker 5: In my mind.
Speaker 4: Oh, like, you know, what the Tories have been doing has been extremely worrying, Like the NHS, like trans stuff is pretty bad. Now that the you know, Labor Party is in, it's hard for me to figure out kind of where the country is going because this Labor Party is a pretty conservative labor party.
Speaker 5: But like, this idea of.
Speaker 4: Like being able to outrun American fascism is still something I find like unconvincing. I guess, like you can't fully run away from all of these problems, and there may be certain people that that it's still like makes sense to start making these moves, just to start planning for that option, right I am. I am pro options, even if this idea of like total escape I still find troubling. Yeah, and anyone else makes any kind of thoughts on this on this saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like as goes to US, goes the world, right, and but that is changing. But like maybe I think if it gets to the point where large numbers of people are fleeing the US, we might see some of that same anti migrant rhetoric that we've seen in the US in even relatively liberal Canada, the United Kingdom or other anglophone countries. Right, Like, it's already very hard to immigrate to Australia. It's not the easiest to immigrate to Canada. Frankly, Yeah, I'm not as familiar with the Canadian.
Speaker 4: Ones, especially as like an American. Yeah, unless you have like a job that you need to do in Canada and you're the only one who can do that job, or you get a Canadian girlfriend, or that's that makes it slightly easier, but still still not like completely easier.
Speaker 3: Frankly, yeah, that is a I guess that's the alternative. Yeah, I think, like, I know, like a lot of people who listen to this listen to this because they have a fairly radical politics, right or left politics, and like.
Speaker 5: Or you're a journalist or you're a federal worker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're looking to steal our stories. Fuck off, if I may say so, But like, yeah, we've all grown up on the stories of people who stood up for what they believed in, right, And Margaret makes a whole podcast about it, and Robert does on Christmases, yep, and like there's a reason why they did that, Like you know they I know that the idea of running away and being safe could be tempting, but like, if this country gets as bad as it needs to be for people to run away in large number, it's then like the world gets markedly less safe. Oh yeah, you're going to be running for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Just look at how much food the US produces, how much medicine. Seventy percent of all of the blood used in every single country's medical system around the world is exported from the United States. Oh wow, Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: And like, particularly for for like US citizens right looking looking to flee, the people who are going to be able to pull it off are people with pretty pretty extraordinary means in most cases. I'm not saying all cases, but like, if if you have the capacity to move from the United States to Germany, you're probably not living on the poverty line, right, Like this is this this takes a considerable financial investment. So instead, part of what my opposition to this is that you're essentially abandoning a whole bunch of like the like most at risk people. A part of this even extends out to like moving from state to state. I'm obviously in support of free movement. I've traveled around, and I'm going to continue to travel around. I want to see as much as in the world as I can. But like another facet of this politics of escape is that something I hear very consistently from my my friends in Atlanta, And this is something like I can attest to, like personally, the most amount of like like vocal transphobia from people like on the street that they have faced has not been in Atlanta, where they live. It's been when they're visiting people in Seattle or Portland. Like you actually get a lot more like weird anti queer harassment in Seattle, which just just like on like the street level. It's bizarre, Like cities all have different kind of like modes of operation. People have different like informal like manners in terms of how how you like behave on the street. And it's it's it is. This is something I've definitely actually I've definitely experienced. There's there's a lot more like open openness towards like certain types of of like anti trans harassment in like these like liberal safe havens like quote unquote Yeah, I've been called slurs on the street way more or in Portland, Oregon than I have in Atlanta, Georgia. And this is this is another like interesting aspect which I'm not saying Atlanta is like quote unquote safer city than Seattle if you're trans I'm not saying the vice versa either, But this is like just an aspect of like the politics of escape, like especially in the in the United States, like the there like is really no like real escape like there there is no mythical safe haven where you can live your your free life and frolics through the park and never have to face any kind of hardship or like political disenfranchisement. If you still want to relocate somewhere, that's something that you should consider and again create options. But I also do not want to like abandon my friends here because I just you know, have a more stable job, Like I want to be here for them and and help them, and not in like a patronizing way, but in like a solidarity way. Like that's like really important to me. And I think of people who are who are thinking about these same things and kind of running these same questions of of if they want to commit to sting in the United States. I think should also make those considerations of is like you know, which which one of your friends is not going to be able to make the same calculation. Yep, And frankly, I feel I feel like better as a person and like my mental health feels better knowing I'm going to be here with them rather than going to a Berlin nightclub.
Speaker 5: Which does sound fun. And I still might on vacation.
Speaker 2: Oh, you definitely need to go to Bergain, Garrett.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: I have planned three days that feel like about four hours in Bergain.
Speaker 5: I am, I am, I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I am for the first time planning to leave the continent this year, which is a little bit scary because re entering the United States has is pretty tricky right now, which should also play into your considerations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, the general safety of air travel at the.
Speaker 4: Moment, safety and air travel now that we don't have a gay man running the planes.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, it turns out he was actually all right.
Speaker 1: At that.
Speaker 5: Woke was keeping those planes in in the area, you.
Speaker 3: Know, kudos to him. Turns out he was okay at that job.
Speaker 4: But yes, I don't know what I was saying, but I'm sure it was really important and well thought through about not abandoning people who maybe don't have the same resources that you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to your point about like coming back to the US, understand that like one of the things that migrants to deal with, even if they get to a place and they have some degree permanents and they feel safe there, is that they will never be able to go back to where they're from in most cases, right that means when someone in their family passes away, they can't be there for the funeral. That means that when they have a grandchild, they have a niece or a nephew, something happens in their community and they want to be there to help. It's a natural disaster. They had just stuck. And that's not something to like to discount as something that's not important, Like that is really hard. And if you have a community now, especially for trans folks, right, Like I just think that like there are so many places where, like like you say, Garrison, where bigotry against transfolks is being more and more normalized. Like if you have a community where people where you're experiencing joy every day with the people you're around, like leaving that should be something that you really think hard about, because that can be hard to find. Yeah, yeah, especially in Edinburgh because they're all turfs with the in the cafes. That's not true.
Speaker 4: Just to be clear, Yeah, I mean, this is kind of the discussion I wanted to have. I'm sure we all have more thoughts on this that we will we will express very eloquently as soon as we close this recording session.
Speaker 3: That's how we do it.
Speaker 4: But but I know this is this is the type of stuff that we've been thinking about. I know, I know listeners have been too, because you're asking us these questions. So it's certainly annoying that we don't have a concise yes or no answer. But there isn't a concise yes or no answer. I think the most concise what I have is that you should be giving yourself as many options as you can. If that includes applying for Irish citizenship because your grandfather is Irish, then hey, why not go for it?
Speaker 2: Right, Ireland's great, nice country. You'll like it.
Speaker 4: But I am I am trepidacious. I guess about about you know, public calls to flee the country at this point and kind of the underlying politics and ideology of that, let alone the kind of the logistical aspects of trying to relocate to a different country where you are not a citizen. And frankly, I think there will be a lot of countries that are not super eager to take American immigrants. I think Canada is typically kind of, kind of low key been one of these places. Especially if we're going to go to war with Canada to make it the fifty first state, then it might also uh create create some some some tricky aspects.
Speaker 3: You could make it hot.
Speaker 4: But I know, if anyone else has any any other thoughts, air them now or forever. Be beholden to angry reddit comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please don't burn each other down on Reddit, Like now is the time to give people a little grace and be kind to other people.
Speaker 2: Don't flee to Belgium. Stay away from Belgium at all costs.
Speaker 3: I had a nice time in Belgium.
Speaker 5: What do you gets Belgium. I have a friend in Belgium.
Speaker 2: As an Italian. I think we need to go with a war with them again. You know, it's what made Caesar great. It could make us great again. That's that's my stance on Belgium. It's Italian territory.
Speaker 3: I stand with the Belgian people.
Speaker 5: Welcome to you can happen hear a podcast trying to figure out why some of the most powerful people in the world want everyone to think that they're gamers. It is it is host me along with me as Garrison Davis.
Speaker 4: Hi, I've I've played a video game before. I'm not very powerful, but I.
Speaker 5: Too have played many several video games.
Speaker 4: See I wouldn't. I wouldn't say several. I've I've played like a few many. I have played too many, simply too many video games. So okay, this is this is.
Speaker 5: In some ways kind of a lighter episode, because Jesus fucking Christ, everything's really depressing. Is something going on out there, It's all really bad, And one of the people who's been making everything really really bad is Elon Musk, who has somehow managed to like piss off the gamers. The PayPal guy, the PayPal guy, the owner of X I've I've been I've been locked in my uh in my gamer cave for the past like five months.
Speaker 4: I'm not left. I'm just hearing about this now.
Speaker 5: Yeah you might. You might. You might know of him as the guy who paid another guy to play Path of Exile two for him. We will get to that.
Speaker 4: See, I don't play those games. Those games are gay. I only play Nintendo Mecca games and Hell Divers too, like a loser.
Speaker 5: That's that's reasonable, that's reasonable. Those are those are Those are fine games. Oh and Sonic, Oh god, okay, pushing aside the subject the Sonic, So okay, I want to take a look a bit about why this sort of matters and why all of these fucking really rich assholes are sort of trying to pretend to be gamers. And I think the place to start here is with the fact that gaming is in one hundred and eighty four point three billion dollar industry. Todd Harris, who is an extremely annoying guy but is also right, points out that this is more money than TV, movies, and music combined. So this is the largest entertainment market in the world by such an astounding margin in terms of just dollar value. Right, something like three billion people play video games. It's mostly mobile games, which makes the story I'm about to tell very weird because the actual people who play these games again, it's it's a lot of mobile games, and it's also mostly people who are women, and non white. And yet, however, Comma, when people think about like the gamer TM, you are not thinking about.
Speaker 4: That, yeah, like as a political class.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, you know, like when people say the word gamer, yeah, you're thinking of a bunch of weird in cell right wing dipshits who are white and suckass. And this is in large part because gamer Gate was sort of the first, like truly effective political mobilization of like the gamer as a political identity. And obviously this is you know, this is a fascist movement. Now. Part of the reason this works, and we're gonna be getting more into why this sort of works later, but part of the reason this works is that this is an extremely large group of people because it's new. No one has sort of defined it as a political identity before, and it's also filled with people who are extremely insecure about their identity as a gamer because this is a relatively new medium, which is why everyone fucking either wants their games to be like treated like movies or some shit, or they want it to be sports because those are sort of cultural things with enormous amounts of money, and then that are taken like quote unquote more seriously. Yeah. Yeah, And so the effect of this is that the cultural affect of being a gamer is extremely important to these people. And this is true actually really both on the left as much as it is on their right. There are a lot of like sort of political figures. I don't know, you're sort of like online people who come out of gaming, like like h Bomber guy. I guess this is an example like Hassan. To some extent, there's just like a lot of people who are like gamers and then by sort of like become political. But on the other hand, gaming has always been like a not always but has traditionally been an extremely right wing space. Oh god, Garrison, I feel like you will actually appreciate how fucking shit this is. Have I told you this story about Kabab the German now? Oh boy? Okay, so back in the dawn of Time I played a lot of Heartstone as a kid, and I was like, I wasn't like good.
Speaker 4: Is that like a resource management type game for like gay autistic people?
Speaker 5: No, this is this is the world of Warcraft card game.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's that's even more embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really bad, really bad. I think I think I peaked at like two k Legend North America, which like technically speaking is like top like half a percent of players in the world's digital collectible card video game. Come on, oh yeah yeah, but two k legend DNA is like fucking shitter ranks. It's bad. I was never like good, good at it. I was just like okay, kind of. But you know, this is like a thing that I did growing up, and something I remember is like all of the fucking Heardstone streamers and these are like really big streamers would play music from this guy they called Kobob the German and it turns out that his actual name was removed Kobob because he was a fucking German neo Nazi. Well many such cases, yeah, for people who like are not aware of of like mid twenty tens German fascism. Remove Kebab is like a slogan calling for the ethnic cleansing and genocide of Turkish people in Germany. So great stuff, great stuff. This is just was just sort of like the water you were swimming in if you were a gamer in like the twenty tens. Now, this goes some way to explaining something that I noticed kind of recently, which is the absolutely bizarre obsession these tech CEOs like who want to be thought of as gamers. And so the two examples we're gonna look at are Sam bank and Freed's And this is really technically on both sides of the political spectrum, Right, We're gonna look at Sam Banker Freed, and we're gonna look at Elon musk are new Overlord. I guess. So we're gonna start with Sam bankin Freed, and you know, as we go through what's happening here, we're gonna sort of unravel why it's so important to them to be seen as gamers. And I, I guess it is important to know like Sam Bakman Fried like is I guess like he is a gamer in the sense that like he's like addicted to video games effectively and just plays them fucking literally constantly. Yeah, he looks the part too, no offense. Yeah, yeah, before before he was put in prison for twenty five years for fraud.
Speaker 4: Well probably not anymore. He's probably gonna get part of God.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll see, we'll see. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Crypto vote, it's the most valuable voting block. Now, all young Americans are too poor to open bank accounts, so they put all their money in crypto. So now they're gonna vote for whoever makes line go up.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna become the joker. So okay, then think about Sam Megan Frieda for people who have forgotten who SBF is. He is the guy who was the founder of FTX, which was like a crypto change that was actually effectively a giant scam where he took everyone's money and betted on the stock market and lost it. And you know, Robert did a behind the bassards on him. And one of the things that happens constantly is he's just like always fucking playing video games. He's playing this really dogshit game called Story Big or Algy Meetings. He is a League of Legends addict, which is like as as any gamer will know a person who plays the League of Legends all the time, like one of the worst categories people who's ever existed. And one of the things that that SBF did as as a sort of pr thing right was let the author Michael Lewis of the Big Shorts, We're Gonna get the moneyball in a second, blindside other books.
Speaker 4: Reparatable financial advice books, is what I'm hearing.
Speaker 5: But you know, like a very very powerful, influential and wealthy American journalist just let him sort of tag along and and Michael Lewis's sort of angle on understanding him. But this is something that like ICBF was like you know, was like projecting right in order for this to be the image of him, was him as like the gamer. And this sort of just like baffles Michael Lewis right, because he just like doesn't understand someone who just has ADHD and plays video games all the time and doesn't give a shit. So he plays meetings like no one has ever been like this. I have no idea what you mean. I actually don't play video game stream meetings because it is too obvious. But I play.
Speaker 4: I play video games a once a week. That's that's that's kind of my Oh.
Speaker 5: God, this is the one part about sam Bakmon Free that's relatable to me. I play so many video games. It is my like antidepression strategy, basically, like when I need to not think for a while, there's just MEO playing. Actually Path of Faxyle too, one of the games that we're gonna be talking about today, something that I play a lot of. I've done so much fucking gaming, Like god, I used to play this game called Smite, which is like a it's like a mob but like League of Legends but like third person and I played so much Smite that they were pro showing my casual games. When when the Zoomer Revolution comes and they execute the gamers and they execute b I'm gonna be like, yeah, you know, that's reasonable. Like I can't argue with that.
Speaker 4: I'll inform the council't our next folks council meeting. I'll bring it to the table.
Speaker 5: That's reasonable. But you know, so so what what what what happens with this sort of thing is that is that Michael Lewis's image of SF becomes as this gamer who's doing these completely incomprehensible things. He's mind must be so unbelievably brilliant. Yeah, totally, because he's just like playing fucking video games all the time. And and this gets to one of the aspects of why these people do this, this sort of like pretending to be a gamer thing and and like and like SBF like is a gamer, right, but like why why they make us part of their cultural image, which is that a lot of the traditional media people, even though gaming is an enormous industry. It's it's extremely profitable and is enormously culturally powerful. It doesn't have the same kind of critical culture around. It doesn't exist that you would see or something like movies or like.
Speaker 4: Respectability in some way, except in like the reversed Sam Bankman freedway, where like the schlubbiness is part of what makes him like an extential genius, right, like like like that era of like Silicon Valley guy. Yeah, that's like he's he's so different, right, Like he's he's he's not like put together, and this like shows how he's like a new and innovative thing. So it's kind of like it's kind of like a double edged sword in like that specific way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, this is all a feedback loop, right, because like part of it not being respectable is that someone like Michael Lewis, right, who was like as establishment of a journalist as there's ever been. These people don't play video games. They're one of the figures people who just like don't game. Are these like traditional mainstream sort of access journalists, right, And so they run into this shit and they have no fucking idea what the hell is going on, And it's just really really easily just sort of like bamboozle them by just doing something that any gamer like, you know you, like, you show a gamer like a League of Legends addicts, and they will instantly be able to just like read this person like a fucking book. Also, by the way, gaming addiction like is like kind of a fake thing. I'm like mostly joking here, but also like League of Legends makes you a worse person. It simply does. You just get mad all the time. I've known too many League Legis players of my goddamn life. Holy shit, terrible game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but arcane though, right, all right, didn't Oh god, Okay.
Speaker 5: We're gonna take an ad break, and then when I come back, I'm going to explain part of why this worked, which is the unique incompetence of Michael Lewis.
Speaker 4: Well, I look forward to that. I love hearing about unique incompetence.
Speaker 5: So we are back now, Okay, Obviously, part of the reason this works too is, you know, as I've been talking about, right, like these these really out of touch sort of like mainstream journalists who just don't understand an enormous market. Right, But Lewis is in some sense kind of a special case because he is really truly an unbelievably global dumbass. And to get an understanding of this, I'm going to go into something that Lewis in theory understands a lot better, which is sports.
Speaker 2: So Lewis has.
Speaker 5: Written two of the most famous books ever written about sports, right. He wrote Moneyball, which is the book that we're gonna be talking about, which I'll get to you in a second. And he wrote The Blindside, which is another book that they talk about on Behind the Bassarge and go listen to that, But I want to go going on money Bomb. Moneyball is supposed to be this book about how this underdog an athletics team invented like baseball metrics and they use sabermetrics to like like build this roster out of nothing that like went to the playoffs and did really well. And like I'm not going to get into the extent to which this was kind of a mirage about that Oakland A's team, Like whatever, I'm not gonna argue about baseball statistics. What I will argue about is that one of the characters in this fucking book, right, who's one of the sort of like underdog geniuses and like Michael Lewis loves to find, right, is this guy named Paul Pedesta? Can he is? He is like one of the main figures in this book. He's like, he's kind of like an assistant coach. Basically, what baseball team is this? Oh? This is the Oakland Athletics are now the last Vegas Athletics or some shit. I don't know that they moved to Vegas.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they're called the athletics now.
Speaker 5: No, No, they are originally called the Athletics. I don't know what they're called now. They've always been the except just calls them the Oakland A's. They've been the A's forever. But yeah, they've they've they've also been stolen. Las Vegas has now stolen both the football team and the baseball team oft.
Speaker 4: Oh see, I was thinking of the football team, yeah, because I was like, wait a minute, didn't didn't Las Vegasts go there too?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, they stole both of them.
Speaker 4: That's what I was thinking. And I am more of a baseball head than a football head.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so okay, unfortunately we're gonna be talking about football here. So this guy, right, Paul Padesta's like one of these sort of geniuses. She later goes on to be It's kind of unclear exactly what he was doing in the organization, but he is hired by the just absolutely wretched the football franchise, the Cleveland Browns. Now to get an understanding of how wretched the Cleveland Browns are. My opening savment for him on the Browns is it is genuinely unclear how responsible Paul Podesta is for the Browns over the course of two seasons, going one in thirty one, which is a feat of like just absolutely sucking shit that is unrivaled in any other major American sports. I think until the fucking moon crashes into the Earth, no one is going to fucking go one in thirty one into cruss two seasons football again. So again that is a one in fifteen season, followed by an owen sixteen season. It's the second oh to sixteen season. Ever, unclear how responsible for this he is, but what he is responsible for is the Shawn Watson trade. Okay, it's like mea, why the fuck you're talking about?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 5: Part of this is also like these people are just evil. Deshaun Watson is a serial sexual predator. I couldn't get an accurate estimate of how many women, specifically massage therapists mostly have accused him of sexual assault. He is like one of the worst people in the entire NFL, which is a league of a lot of people who absolutely fucking suck shit. So so that that's the first thing you have to understand about Watson's that he is just really fucking like morally reprehensible, right. He is like a bad enough sexual predator that the NFL actually fucking suspended him for a season. And Paul Podesta, who again is the guy whom Michael Lewis is supposed to be like touting, is like this genius analytics guy, decides that he is going to set up this deal for his team to trade for Deshaun Watson, who've been on the Texans, And again, like Garrison, like, imagine how evil you have to be for the Houston Texans to trade you on fucking moral grounds.
Speaker 4: Nia, do you expect me to know anything about the Houston Texans.
Speaker 5: It is a team from Houston, Texas. That's all you need to know about this. And they traded this guy.
Speaker 4: Hey, at least it's not Austin. No offense to our Austin listeners.
Speaker 5: They fucking traded this guy, right, and Popadesa orchestrates this trade that is three is it is the worst trade in the history of football. It is three first round picks, two thirds, two third round picks, and a fourth round pick. And they hand this guy who, again I kind of emphasize this enough, is a serial sexual predator, right, they hand him two hundred and thirty million guaranteed dollars, the largest guaranteed salary the history of the NFL. So, okay, So, how does Deshaun Watson, like again, this guy who's being held up by the guy who like is now laundering being a gamer as like the great symbol of sort of like cultural like being a rogue outsider. Right, how does Deshaun Watson his like greatest fucking project to do on the field. So in his first season, he basically got injured immediately. It is second season in weeks one through five out of out of seven hundred and fifty nine quarterbacks. Since the year two thousand, to start weeks one through five out of again seven hundred and fifty nine quarterbacks, he ranks seven hundred and fifty three out of seven hundred and fifty nine EPA for dropback seven hundred and fifty three out of seven hundred and fifty nine. They traded three first round picks for this guy. He has a mind boggling an EPA of negative point three, which means every time the serial sexual predator drops back to make a pass, they are expected to get point three less points than an average team would.
Speaker 4: How did you trick me into being on a sports episode? I only agreed to this because I thought it was video game.
Speaker 5: Don't worry. We're we're we're we're almost We're almost done with the sports part of it. But there, I promise there is actually a reason why I'm doing this, which is which is the argument, that's that that sports and the sport and gaming actually serve very very similar cultural roles for the right. Yeah, of course, yes, I understand that. I can I can see that. Yes. Also, I've always wanted to fuck you complained about this on area and this is this is the best fucky chance I've ever gonna get, So Jesus fucking because it's like what I talk about, like movies or something. Is this, yes, yes, this is what it feels like. Is this what they sound like? Yes? It is it is absolutely what you sound like. So this guy is like a generationally awful quarterback, they sign away basically the entire future of this team hand this guy who is a serial sexual predator two hundred and thirty million dollars. And this is the guy that fucking Michael Lewis expects you to think is like a fucking analytics genius. And this all comes back to again, like, you know, the sort of mythology, the basic mythology of the nerd is that they're like picked on, like by the jock or whatever. Right, That's like that's like the fundamental base of their mythology that there's are like oppressed by this. But like it's just like the same masculinity bullshit all the way down. And you can watch like just like the worst people in fucking history just trick literally exactly the same people into thinking that they're fucking geniuses by using both of these fucking affects. So I want to read something, you know, in looking at the way that this stuff functions, the way that gaming functions, like specifically in the culture, and you know why these people choose to use gaming as like, you know, as as this sort of affect they're trying to project into the world. I want to read something by a friend of the show Vicky Osterweil, and a piece called game Boys. Video games also emerge at a time when technology facilitates an increasingly administered life in which alienation and isolation feel like a prerequisite to social engagement. Consumer choice is a form of control. An unbounded economic competition produces widespread anxiety to structure as pleasurable the repetition, learning, and boredom that one was master to live under current economic conditions. Games rely on affects, moods, and ideas that are capable of producing not only forms of violence directed towards non normative groups, but also forms of intimacy, fantasy, and play that point towards the horizon outside of capital's clutches. Games provide different compensations for people who are differently situated in the social hierarchy. They give white men aggrandizing power, inventions fantasies that modulate their sense of self importance under conditions that disempower them, but they are also capable of giving everyone else the fantasy of an alternative to white supremacist patriarchal capitalism. This has been particularly clear in how queer creators, writers, and fans have found space in and around games despite the organized harassment campaigns, intensely misogynist industry advertising campaigns, and widespread critical and cultural degradation of games that aren't played by CIS men. So I think the important thing here, and this is something important to remember both for Samba Been Freed and also for the construction of right wing gaming movements in general, and for what we're going to talk about with Elon Musk, is that gaming is contested ground. Right. As much as we think of as like right wingers, right, there are a lot of what you would call it to like traditionally sort of leftlooming demographics that play video games and have made spaces here because as much as they are in some ways like this force of discipline that like is something that you learn, the kinds of like ability to tolerate boredom and repetition and things like that that you know you use for fucking work, they're also a thing that people use to like escape the fucking hell world totally. And like, I mean I know this right, Like I am fucking like I'm a Chinese chance of better, he's better at video games, and both the people have been to be fucking talking about in this story, right, Like, well, I heard, I heard his Path.
Speaker 4: Of Exile character was actually quite advanced.
Speaker 5: But we're gonna we're gonna talk about the Path of Exile character fucking next, you know. But but I mean, it's it's worth mentioning, like speed running, right, which is a very very trans genre.
Speaker 4: Competitive gaming in general, competitive fighting games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it depends. It depends a lot on the genre. But again, like competitive fighting games like yeah, Melee, I mean, I'm gonna brief mentioned Sonic Fox, who is a black, non binary furry who's like one of the greatest fighting game players of all time, incredibly beloved, the only person in history ever to beat someone thirteen to zero in a first to eleven absolute legends, right, But you know, these are the people that these sort of like fascist adjacent people are trying to drive out so they can use gaming as like as a sort of cultural force. And this functions both in gaming and also fuck it in real life. Right now that these people are in power, and you know who else is in power, it's a product and services to support this podcast, All Hail, we are back now. Obviously, the other part of this. You know, we've talked about we've talked mostly sort of about racial politics, but there's there's an incredible sort of gender politics in gaming. And you know, the thing about gaming, right is that it is to some extent a tool that people use to cope with, like, you know, the realization of the violence of the gender system. And like I am also doing this as much as the fucking weird white guy nazi like gamer dip shit.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's why I ooed up f F seven remake Hysteric Cloud Strife for hours on end when I'm feeling sad.
Speaker 5: But you know what the problem with what's happening here, right, is that, like the right, like that we're experiencing violence in different ways, but it's like the systemic violence from the gender system that is the same system, but these people's solution to is to blame it on women, right, And this is you know, I had a conversation with Vicky about this where a lot of this stuff is sort of drawn from and like I would compare it to like, you know, lots and lots of people deal with social isolation, right and and deal with this violence. But like you know, on the other hand, most of us don't become mass shooters most most Yeah, I would say that's that's true. Yeah, right, and so and so we can look at the structural forces that produces people and also just go like fuck them, like eat shit, like I'm sorry, you've you've become Nazis, like fuck off.
Speaker 4: Skillish you in some ways among other environmental factors.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, but but also a lot of times these people aren't fucking like they're not dealing with shit at all, mostly, right, I mean like yeah, like okay, like Elon Musk's weird insecurity is to some extent because of the gender system, right, but like, also he is the richest man in the world, He's the most powerful man live, He's one of the most powerful people who has ever lived. And he still has the same sense of like aggrievement that powers all these people. And this is like one of the key things of like the gamer mythos, right, is that these people constantly believe that they're being oppressed by like jocks or whatever. And now it's it's been shifted into this not anymore. Yeah, Now now they believe that they're that they're being oppressed by like fucking women in minorities, right.
Speaker 4: And and it's actually the people who actually doing the oppression is now all of the doge nerds at.
Speaker 5: The top of the system.
Speaker 4: Now it's it's been we have we've had we've had a we've had a full Uno reverso.
Speaker 5: But the thing is, these people have always been at the top of the fucking system, right and like, But but it's this a fetny whis it's this it's this feeling they have of them being the ones who are oppressed that like you know, made them into the shock troopers that we saw with Gamergate. If you're gonna read one viciosc wral thing, and I'm signing her a lot because I think she's done a lot of the best critical reporting on video games, which is a field that I feel like we just haven't done much critical shit with. Like, I mean, there's been lots of stuff about working conditions in the games industry which are fucking terrible, and it's good, but like, as a medium, there hasn't been anywhere near as much critical engagement with it as there's been with like film or music. But if you're gonna read one thing from her, read a piece called goon Squad, which is about the sort of like fascist reaction to the really broken state of Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven when it came out. And one of the arguments that she makes is that these gamers are being i mean literally being used is like scabs and pinkertons against people who make video games, and you know, and this expands out to like workers more broadly, they're literally being used to silence anyone who talks about the problems with like this game that like when Cyberpink twenty seventy seven came out, it was literally giving people seizures because it was it had just like fucking strobing flashes and bullshit anthe they didn't want any one about because it was a broken, shitty game. And you know, they're also used for just like anti queer and like anti feminist rasping campaigns, and that's that's how they're sort of mobilized in real life too, And and that gives you an insight into why these people sort of like do this signaling, right, is that they're also like signaling to their base that like I am one of you, et cetera, et cetera, Like you should fucking support me for this shit now. Pivoting a little bit. So when I was first talking about this episode, I kept on accidentally saying Sam Altman as that of Sam Bankman freed because like man.
Speaker 4: They said, yeah, many such cases.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the last the last fucking white boy scammer named Sam has been replaced by an additional subsequent white boy scammer named Sam. And it turns out though I looked up Sam Altman and he has also been doing this like gamer stick thing, like specifically in interviews with Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's fascinating. They're both fucking doing it now. And this brings us to the man who has spent the most time publicly lying about fucking video games recently, which is Elon Musk. Elon Musk is like not really a gamer. I would say, like he sort of plays video games.
Speaker 4: He's a Kenemine user. He's a Twitter power user. He is the shadow President.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the regis man of the World's ridges man who has ever lived.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, he is really obsessed with everyone thinking that he is like a he's an elite video game player in like multiple games. He's obsessed with this.
Speaker 4: He's also I believe the term is a meme. Lord h if I'm reading this right.
Speaker 5: Oh god, what one of his path of xtyle two characters I didn't put in the script because it's actually not the one we're gonna talk about, but one of his characters in that game was named Kekius Maximus, So like, this is the level of mind.
Speaker 4: That uh, that is one of his favorite names. In his White House office, he has a he has a Kechius Maximus portrait hanging behind his desk. There's an AI generated image of like pet bite the Frog and like and like Roman, like like Caesar at higher I hate everything. So, yeah, this is the guy who reads the country now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oops.
Speaker 5: So Elon Musk has been lying about being good at video games, and the preface to everything we're going to get to you is that he has. Actually he's like for a long time been doing a like I'm a gamer thing. So his his kind of problems, and I think really the origin of the weird paying people to make him look like he's good at video games thing that we're gonna get you in a second. This is something that that Blue Sky user gay Dog reminded me of because I'd forgot he has so many gaming scandals i'd forgotten about this one, which is that he at one point posted his build for the hit game Elden Ring, which is very difficult game, and he had two different shields equipped, which makes literally no sense. It's like over encumbered, Like it's okay, like the best expianation I've tried to I figured out for Like how bad at this game he is? Is that posting this build on Twitter is the video game equivalent of going like, hey, look at my fucking sports car. It's stepping into like the shittiest call you've ever seen, and then like slamming the accelerator with the working break on.
Speaker 4: Hey, I love the masdamiata.
Speaker 5: Like that's that's like the gaming of criminals. And everyone who looked at it immediately was like, this is the dumbest man who has ever lived. This man has no idea what the fuck he's doing. He is just like like unable to understand basic fundamental systems about this game, like just baffling incomprehensible bullshit. And this was like kind of a scandal for him. It wasn't like a huge one, but like especially like this is one that sort of broke on to the left a lot, and people were giving him shit about it. So the next time he wanted to brag about having been good at video games, he very clearly like paid someone else to like accomplish some stuff in this game called Yelbo four. I'm not gonna talk about Dielbow stuff much because I'm a Path of Exile player and not diebol player. The dialbum and Path of x ale like Fairy much the same kind of game, basically, like you click somewhere and your character goes there and you click other things that it does attacks. But famously, like this year, he pretended to be one of like the best Path of Exile two players in the world, and he was doing this on his alt account, which is has to handle. It's Cybergamer for twenty, but the all the e's are threes, So with's CYB three r g A M three R four twenty.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait, wait, say say that again.
Speaker 5: It's at CYB three r GA M three R four twenty.
Speaker 4: So I think I found something. I think the four to twenty at the end is actually a reference to Hitler's birthday April twenty God damn it.
Speaker 5: So okay, he like claims to have one of the like the best characters in hardcore, which is in mode of Path of Exile where if he die once you get kicked out of it. So it's very hard to like prove that he actually did this. He like does a live stream where he tries to play Path of Exile, like on a Twitter live stream, and it is immediately obvious that, like he has no idea what he's doing. Like it's not just obviously people who play the game. I hadn't played Path of XL to at this point, right, I had only played the original one like a decade ago, like a little bit of it, and I took one look at what he was doing and immediately was like, this guy has never played this game before, like has no idea what he's fucking doing. Like it was so unbelievably obvious, Like he like walked past one of those valuable currencies in the game, just like walk past it, didn't notice it. It's like staggeringly obvious anyone who plays video games, This guy has no idea what the fuck he's doing. And this actually explodes on him and eventually he's forced to reveal that he paid someone to level of his Path of Exil to account, and then he claims that he never claims that it was his path of xel to account, and this Jenny Weinley has been a real problem for him because it pissed off like the entire gaming scene. So you have videos with like millions of views from guys like Asthmagold, who was like a he's a very famous right wing streamer who like sucks ass, like is like a turbo right winger, like spends his time screaming about how like black people in video games is dei and woke and how it's destroying the video game industry and fucking asthma Goold is watching this video and being like this guy is a lying piece of shit, what the fuck? And like everyone fucking reacts like this. It's genuinely wild. I've never actually seen people like react to this, to like to elon like this and like like again, like this is his allies on the right taking one look at this and being like, wait, this guy's just like lying. Now. What's interesting about about this to some extent is that, like, again, his whole thing here is he's trying to like pretend that he's like a pro gamer or whatever, but his affect is still largely targeted towards non gamers in the sense that like there's no way, I mean, okay, I guess it is possible that he genuinely is so ignorant that he believed that he could just pretend to be a top of Little Pets of Path of Exile player on a stream using someone else's account, but like, there's no way anyone who plays video games could fall for that. And and a lot of people he talks to about the stuff, for people like Joe Rogan who aren't like gamer TM people, right, it's like a lot of it's a lot of people who aren't gamers. And he's like sort of hyping up his reputation with and so he's weirdly on the one hand, yeah, he is signaling to his sort of fascist bass, but on the other hand, he's trying to use the sort of like cultural cachet of of gaming as like the sort of renegade right wing phenomena to like launder his reputation. Except he fucked up because he, you know, spent all of this time trying to like pretend to be a gamer. But the thing about gamers is that like there is literally an entire genre of video like on YouTube that is very, very popular. That is just like people exposing people who cheat in video games and cheated records of video games. And Elon has walked just like directly into this bear trap, right.
Speaker 4: And that means we got him, folks, mission accomplished. Wrap it up, We beat Elon him.
Speaker 5: It's over.
Speaker 4: He's he's been cast out of civil society for the high crime of pretending to play a video game. He's lost all respect among among the farthest reaches of the right.
Speaker 5: So what's next? We have what he has? He has one more scandal that we actually have to talk about.
Speaker 4: Is this about the one video game he hasn't played? Which is the funniest Elon musk gamer story in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Which which are you?
Speaker 8: Which?
Speaker 5: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: That's the one that that that he he had to publicly announce that he he does not play GTA five.
Speaker 5: Oh, that was funny. I forgot about that.
Speaker 4: Because he doesn't like quote unquote doing crime and g t A five quote require shooting police officers in the opening scene. Just couldn't do it unquote.
Speaker 5: Oh, I really forgot about that.
Speaker 4: So that proofs that at least he has some integrity God. Now, some some gamers might be sick individuals acting out you know, violence power fantasies, but at least Musk has someone in tegrity to not harm police officers in GDA five. That really shows that there's like a moral compass behind all of this, you know, at times strange behavior.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's also like, that's also him signaling to like a different like the weird Christian part of the bass. That's like, oh, violence and video games is bad because he's trying to single to all of his groups simultaneously, and all of them are like, this guy is a fucking loser who sucks ass and we hate him.
Speaker 4: It is pretty embarrassing. That doesn't bring me much joy because again he is the most powerful man in the world. No, but it is mildly amusing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But so that there is a sort of serious note to this, which is that like the pushback he is getting here is like I think actually kind of is significant. So the last thing I want to talk about it is him pretending to have been like a quake pro which the thing that he did, and there's a very interesting video about this by the YouTuber Carl Jobs, who is like his thing is like people who fake who like fake things in video games basically, and he is like not a leftist. He's like like a center right guy basically. I mean, there's arguments about exactly how far right he is. But he did a video about about Elon claiming to be a quack player and what he found so is Elon like apparently did actually play in an early quake tournament, but none of the good players were there, and he he came his team came in second, but they came in second because they had better WiFi than everyone else and so they had less latency, which made them invincible until they ran into a team that also had good WiFi, and then he got destroyed, which I just I just think it's funny, right. That's like a classic Elon Musk story, which is he he has this theme claiming that he's like a fucking gamer legend, but it's actually because he had more money than everyone else until he ran some much who had the same amount of money that he did and just got destroyed. But the reason I bring this up is that, like at the end of this video, Jobst is like goes on this whole thing about how and this is this is like a stronger statement against Elon mustin I have seen from anything in the mainstream press where he literally goes on a thing where he says, Yeah, every single thing that Elon Musk has been saying here is a lie. And because he is just obviously lying out of his ass, but literally everything in a field that I know, this means that I literally can't trust him when he says anything about any other fucking field that I don't know. And this is a real shift, right, I have never seen a mainstream journalist write down Elon Musk is just clearly a liar about this, and so you should not be able to trust anything else he fucking says. This is a larger degree of pushback than anything else ever fucking seen outside of like the left about what Elon Musk is doing, and like just the willingness to just be like, this guy is a fucking just just a serial liar, Like everything says is a lie. He literally calls him a con like, says that his activity is like a con man. He says the things that he's saying are like either liars or delusional. There is a kind of like shift happening right now where people like really are turning on him. There's a day to happen literally today where Ubisoft. You know, ubi Soft is a famously like not a leftist company, right, Like they've done a lot of horrible, fucked up sexual assault stuff. So Elon's mad at Ubisoft because one of their games as a black guy as like a character in it, and literally the official Assassin's Create accounts replied to one of his tweets saying, is that what the guy playing your Path of Axile two account told you? And like replied and replied to a thing about Hassan, Like, we are genuinely seeing a shift in this space, right this thing that had been like a really really consistent base of support with people like Elon is kind of fracturing against him and is sort of being polarized against him by just like the fact that he's just is so obviously cynically pandering to them, and how unbelievably transparent it is, and like obviously, like I don't think like the gamers are going to like fucking rise up or whatever. But the actual serious point to all of this, other than like looking at the ways of fascism, like why these people do this and like gamers is like a demographic that's important to these people is that, like, the way that you destroy a coalition by this isn't necessarily by flipping everyone over to your side, right, that doesn't happen that often. But one of the ways you can do this, and this is this is, you know, to take a really really dramatic example, this is how the Bolsheviks won the October Revolution. They got their opponents to allies to stay home and that was enough enough people just staying on the fucking sidelines when the Bolsheviks like came for Cureanzi's government was enough for them to take power. And I think like the actual, like the actual serious points of this is that the only way that we get out of this mess is by just systematically tearing away these people's coalitions so that when the confrontation with these people comes, there are enough people who would be their supporters who just fucking stay home that they can they can be stopped.
Speaker 4: So this is at Mia Wong publicly calling for the start of gamer Gate two.
Speaker 5: Gamer Gate two is already happening, damn it. This is gamer Gate three.
Speaker 4: This is an open call to begin gamer Gate two point five right now on behalf of me along. Make sure you at Mia oh no, and then hopefully and I'll finally usher in the American Bolshevik revolution after we get enough gamers just to stay home or even better rise up right, we can we can make some kind of graphic with like a fist holding a controller or a keyboard.
Speaker 5: If you're a nerd about it. Gamers are the cosacks. We've got to get them to knock back the regime. That's actually the February Revolution where theytood down. But you know, same point, same point. Come on ya, geez fuck I am one of the biggest things of Like, people need to remember that that Lenin did not overthrow the czar. He overthrew Kerensky, who was kind of a socialist e guy who was run the provisional government in between the first Okay, we're done, we're done here, we're done here, we're working out, we're leaving.
Speaker 4: What games are you playing?
Speaker 5: What games am I playing? Pathaxtyle to don't play Rotato it will consume your life. Okay, play robo quest. Robo Quest is great. Roboquest dares to ask the question what if, Like the art style of Borderland was used for a game about rehabilitative Justice. But also you're doing the roguelike with like Doom's combat.
Speaker 4: That sounds very gay, so I probably can't do that. Then I do Hell Divers too, nearly every Monday. Armored Corps six.
Speaker 5: Course six Rules. Love that game. Love that game.
Speaker 4: Sonic X Shadow Generations, Final Fantasy, Sevin, and I'm waiting for Mecca Break to come out for like their their official release now that the beta's closed. Unfortunately, the character selection is very gooner.
Speaker 5: Coded, many many such cases, so I made sure to.
Speaker 4: Make the smallest the smallest chest size available on my on my model. But the gameplay is fun.
Speaker 5: This has been it could happen here. I good lords, they pay me for this. I had to. I had to watch so many videos about Deshaun Watson and fucking clips of of of Elon Musk playing video games for this. This is it could happen here. Executive Disorder our weekly.
Speaker 4: Newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. Today I'm joined by James Stout and Robert Evans. You are This week, we are covering the week of March twenty to March twenty six.
Speaker 3: Short week because we did a late recording last week.
Speaker 4: Yep, we did, so it's minus one day if my math is correct. It's been a hard week for many of us because we all really care about group chats, and group chat security is super important. Oh yeah, to kind of have anyone involved in politics, and whenever we see a breach of this magnitude, it's really a warning and like a threat to all of us. So it has it has been. It has been a tough week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like a threat to one is a threat to all. So, like the way I see it, any group chat that gets compromised, first.
Speaker 5: They came for hoothypc's ball group. Yeah, that's xt. Next they're gonna come.
Speaker 2: Be any of us could be any of us. Jeffrey Goldberg could be lurking in your small group. That's you and your girlfriend talking about what kind of pizza to order. He could be there reporting for The Atlantic. You wouldn't know unless you like looked at who was in there and saw his name, then you would know, which is true of all of the people in the hoothy PC small group.
Speaker 5: I guess it is actually pretty easy.
Speaker 3: You don't know, maybe maybe different Goldbudge signal name is like like CIA Superspy or something, and everyone's assumed along there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start at the beginning, because I do assume that actually, like as impossible as it sounds to those of us who like wake up and imbibe fucking social media morning, like an addict takes their first hit of crack cocaine, but in a way that's less healthy for both our hearts and our brains. A decent number of people who listen to this podcast have just kind of like heard vaguely like some bits about this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're wondering, what the fuck we're talking about?
Speaker 2: What are you doing? What are you guys doing this? So we're gonna talk about this group chat. So first off, couple of basics. So, Signal is an app that is end to end encrypted. That means that if you have Signal and your buddy has Signal and you're messaging each other, it's encrypted, and it is very hard at this point unless one of your phones is directly compromised by a non state actor or an X who's really good with the computers, no one else can see what you're messaging each other. So if you and a friend are like planning what to order on fucking grub Hub tonight when you go play Super Smash Brothers or whatever, you can keep that secret. Or if you and a friend are planning what substances to buy that the government might not want you buying, you can keep that secret. Or if you and your friend simply don't want various media companies taking every detail and phone carriers taking every detail of your life's conversations and turning that into analytics data, you can stop them from doing that. And if maybe one day you might be engaged in speech that the government might not like, you can continue to engage in that speech privately without danger.
Speaker 5: Or with less danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or with with as little danger as it is possible to do.
Speaker 4: Especially if your messages automatically explode after anywhere between five seconds to a week, right, which is a feature Signal has.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can automatically set it to delete stuff over a period of time you want to. If you're going to use it, turn off the thing where it like pushes messages so that you can like see visible notifications. So yeah, not if you turn them off, because that's a that'll function.
Speaker 4: Up because then your operating system can read the messages without the encryption. Similarly, never open a QR code. This is the yes, really the only way that signal can can get compromised on like scale right now beyond like physical infiltration, right like what accidentally happened with who the PC smell Group.
Speaker 5: But the main other way.
Speaker 4: That signal kanka compromised is through malicious QR codes and unknown links. So really be careful about links as always on the Internet, and especially be skeptical of QR codes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a quote from Herman Garring. I think it was from Herman Gehring. When I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver, and I have adapted that gearing quote to the modern era. When I hear QR code, I reach for Mike clock nineteen.
Speaker 3: That's right, do not do not use koorotes. Yeah, the work of Satan. Let's explain what who the PC small Group is for the people. I'm getting to it.
Speaker 2: So you've got you've got this app which is normally used by and has been used for a long time by like protesters and dissidents and journalists to communicate with sources. Because it's very secure the Trump administration takes office. One thing that they are annoyed about is that when you are government employees, even if you're doing top secret shit, especially if you're doing top secret shit, the kind of meetings about national security planning for like military actions that you are supposed to only have in something called a skiff, and a skiff is basically a room in you know, the West Wing, I think, or the Pentagon, right, I'm not one hundred percent sure where all the skiffs are, but it's like a room that is incredibly secure, and it is the only place that you are supposed to have certain kinds of conversations. And in fact, if you are having one of those kinds of conversations in a skiff, no one, not even the president or the vice president, is allowed to have a phone in there. It is a very strict rule. You don't take phones into the skiff because none of them are fucking secure. Now, the problem is all these communications, all of this stuff is documented and potentially foilable. Maybe not immediately because there's always security concerns. They have the ability to redact.
Speaker 5: Stuff, but in twenty years perhaps, but at some.
Speaker 3: Point, yeah, it might be archived. Even if it's not flable.
Speaker 2: People who are in charge of our military now didn't like that and were like, hey, what if we all just did it through a single group, And they did to plan for an attack that started March fifteenth against the Hoothies. Now you will remember the Hoothies from the episode James and I did, I mean from other stuff too, because they're all over the.
Speaker 5: News, you know, the the hoothy stuff.
Speaker 2: James and I did an episode recently about a regular naval warfare, and you check it out. That's all still pretty relevant.
Speaker 5: Better known for their other work, yeah.
Speaker 2: Better known for their other work. The Biden administration was like, we can probably take care of these guys with air strikes, and it didn't really work. And the Trump administration was like, we can do a better job of taking these guys out with air strikes. And at this point it's too early to say if it worked or not, but I'm gonna guess probably didn't.
Speaker 5: Probably not, just generally given the history.
Speaker 2: Maybe they say they killed a lot more high value targets and top missile guys.
Speaker 3: The main missile guy quote, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not privy to the information. They're working off of or how much it matters at this point. Right, So we'll see you in that signal chat. Rob, I'm not in that signal chat. They have not accidental.
Speaker 4: I I'm in too many signal chats, frankly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I could be, and I might not know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all are in too many.
Speaker 3: I might be in several government ones would be totally unaware of it because there's too many notifications on that.
Speaker 5: Shit's mute and I'm not seeing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they decide we're gonna plan an attack on some hoothies. We're gonna be hitting them with stuff, and we should probably all get We need to get all of these different kind of people from different chunks of the uh, you know, the government together. So we got to have JD. Vance and his representative because usually Vance is too busy to respond. And we got to have the Defense Secretary Pete he Zeth and his representative. We've got to have the d n I Toulci Gabbard her representative. We've got to have the head of the CIA his represent you know that kind of thing. There's a few more people in there. Mark Rubio, Mark Rubio, right Sex State, you know, and his representative, Raevin Miller, Stephen Miller. I don't know that Miller had a representative. He feels like he handles a lot of this stuff on his own. But yeah, on his phone too much, Steven Miller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, chronically online Steven Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have the head of I think Syncom was in there. Anyway. You got all these people in there, and while they're setting this up, all the invites are going out. Because the way you do it with Signal is you click a button that says, like start a new group. You name the new group. In this case, they named the group hoo, the PC small group, right, and uh shit, what does PC stand for?
Speaker 4: In this politically correct? Which, honestly I thought that we were over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd think so, huh don't Sandy slur's in the group chat? That says what it's just a reminder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no slurs in the small group chat.
Speaker 3: Planning committee, I'm guessing, yeah.
Speaker 2: Planning committee. Who they planning committee? Small group? Sorry, I had that written down somewhere. So they make this group chat and they invite a bunch of people. And here's the way. One of the ways Signal works is that like, if you're just importing your contacts in the signal, it'll find the guys who have signal, and it'll just like show you, based on whatever your name you have for them in their phone right that they're on signal, and you can just invite them. Otherwise, you can set what your signal name is going to be, and so when people type in your phone number or whatever, they'll see that, or if you send them an invite, that's the name they'll see. And this brings us. I got to take an aside to talk about a guy who is not a member of the Trump administration and who is not a member of government, a man named Jeffrey Goldberg born in nineteen sixty five. He is currently the co editor of the Atlantic. Prior to this, he had what some people would call an illustrious career. He grew up in Malvern and Long Eye and I'm Maulvin. Yeah, what I'm looking at his wiki here, which just has the line that his neighborhood was mainly Catholic and he described it as a wasteland of Irish pagramists.
Speaker 3: Oh I, he had a fun childhood, So okay, interesting, interesting Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Fascinating stuff there.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So after college or kind of while he's in college, he leaves and he goes to Israel because he wants to serve in the IDF during the Intifada, the first one as a prison guard Jesus Christ, which is where Palestinian participants in the Intefhub were being held. And yeah, he he had like an interesting conversation with this PLO leader who is also like a math teacher, who I guess they were able to like discuss their Zionism or whatever in some way that he found useful. Anyway, weird guy, not a I bring this up to be like, not a left wing radical.
Speaker 4: Like not one of quote unquote to our guys.
Speaker 2: Not one of our guys. Not a guy who's probably broadly opposed to most of and in fact to most of what the Trump administration is.
Speaker 5: Doing, especially the air strikes.
Speaker 2: Frankly, yes, now he has pissed off It's fair to say he has really pissed off Trump a number of times, right because he wrote some articles. He wrote that twenty twenty article in the Atlantic about when Trump said got caught saying that Americans who died in wars are losers and suckers. Yes, which is you know based on sourcing that he had, so he's also attracted their ire. But he's again generally I would say, like more on the bootleoker east side of things, Like he's just kind of like a NATSEK cheerleader, Right, that would be a fair way to describe Jeffrey totally. I don't know that he would entirely disagree with that description of himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a neobe guy.
Speaker 2: That said, he's not so much of one that he's unwilling to report critical stuff, which is what happens here. So he gets an invite on his phone that it just takes him into this PC houthy small group and people have done the work. There's another guy in the Trump administration whose initials are.
Speaker 5: JC John Greenbrier I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was John Greenbrier and the person who because there was some debate initially about like who invited him, because after this came out, there were allegations that he snuck his way in or whatever. We now know based on the evidence that he was inadvertently invited by National Security Advisor Michael Waltz, right.
Speaker 4: As evidenced by the signal screen shot.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, there's lots of screenshots. Jeffrey did his you know, the job of document eventually, yes, well he documented it right away.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So now here's the thing. From the beginning here, Jeffrey is having the natural reaction. I will say this role, Mike, you're of him. He has the reaction I think any minimally competent journalists would have. Someone's fucking with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this is like something to get me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't get invited into a chat with the sect deaf and the head of the CIA planning a military strike.
Speaker 4: Right like this.
Speaker 3: That doesn't happen. I had a bit of journalist for a while. That's not occurred to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not does not really go down. So he's like trying to figure out what the fuck's going on. I'm like, what's happening, And he's like he's making a note, he's documenting stuff is there, and they're talking about like weapons packages, like these are the kind of weapons. This is where they're striking. And then as the strike's going they're being like this guy headed into his girlfriend's house, we're hitting it. The house blew up, he's dead.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Particular exchange was very funny because the way he phrased, it was like it completely baffled jd Vance. Yes, let me pull this up because it was it was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: No please please?
Speaker 3: Uh. Michael Waltz VP full Stop building collapsed, full Stop had multiple positive id full Stop, Pete Carilla the ic amazing job. Jd Vance replies, what Michael Waltz typing too fast? Full stop? The first target, M Dash that top missile guy, M Dash. We have positive idea of him walking into his girlfriend's building and now it's collapsed. And then jad Ebbonds replies, excellent. At this point, Michael Waltz responds with the fifth emoji American flag emoji, flame emoji.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's great. And once it becomes very clear what's happening number one, rather than stay in the group, see if maybe he could get invited to other groups, just kind of like keep track of what was going on again being a guy who's like primary concern and I really do think Goldberg's primary concern here was the security of US soldiers, like.
Speaker 5: The national security of the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, as opposed to like is any of this legal? Are they like what like his is just like these people are not being secure like with I mean like this this could if the wrong person got invited in to a group like this, it could potentially endanger the lives of airmen and stuff. That's on my point concerned with all this, right, but that is his you know. And so he hops out of the group. He leaves, and he puts out this article and he redacts most other than the what's happened, which is a story in and of itself. He like goes out of his way, like there's people who are like in intelligence that are in this that he has their names, and he's like, I am not naming them because they're serving intelligence officers, and that's a no no. He doesn't like specifically give up other than that this is happening anything that's like particularly dangerous, right, But this is the kind of thing as soon as it comes out, obviously it's it's a fewer and it's unlike most of the time when everybody gets like pissed, it seems to like it might have some legs because it's just such a what the bach moment, right.
Speaker 4: And it's so contrary to like so much of the messaging coming from from the Trump administration regarding you know, like digital security. Hillary's emails prosecuting individual soldiers for any like like you know, losing a night vision goggle, right, and it's kind of a leaking information. How this administration is gonna going to crack down and all informations, you know that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: At one point, Excess says we are clear for op SEC, which I thought was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: The funniest message in this signal group is that we're all good on OPSEC. Yeah, that he says in a group chat with Internal Life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's super funny. Everything that's happening here is very funny. I basically want to move on to, like what's what's going to happen next, which is they are going to try to nuke Jeffrey Goldberg, Like they're going to try to send him to a prison, if not a literal like El Salvadorian work camp, right, like that that is going to be their next goal here.
Speaker 3: He embarrassed these people, like yes to an extent that it's I mean, anyone in uniform would have been cult martialed for this kind of security fuck up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean in times of war in the past, if like the version of this had happened in World War Two. They would have just executed whatever soldier did this, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to be a spy if you're incompetent enough to just bumble into shiit, it's the same result. I did want to address really quickly, like a couple of things. One, I saw this USA Today article that was like, oh, it's so relatable that they made this mistake of adding someone to the group chat. That was not the mistake. The mistake was coordinating things that should be classified. Things it should be quote unquote high side on personal devices using signal as opposed to a state department or government issued device which doesn't have your personal contacts to avoid all this, like a device which is not hackable advice which has not been exposed to QR codes, for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to make sure that in your context, there's not two guys named JG.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you might add the wrong JG to your Yemen bombing chat.
Speaker 2: Haven't we all added the wrong person to a group chat? And it's like, I mean, yeah, but I've never like bombed Yemen.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, Yeah, it's not the same thing. It's not the same thing as a birthday party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I have two friends named John and I added the wrong one to a group about like planning a mutual friend birthday party. But like again minimal damage. Yeah yeah, no no service. People's lives are put at risk. I did also want to point out this.
Speaker 3: At one point, Waltz says on Michael Walls, who's a national security advisor. Yeah not not not the other one. Yeah, that would be pretty funny. They had him as well.
Speaker 2: He was just in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems the ground you'd like to shoot parent friends with JD Vans wouldn't be so.
Speaker 3: One of the things Wolf says which is bizarre is that like European navies are incapable of defeating Hoothy weapons systems.
Speaker 5: It just isn't true.
Speaker 3: Like there was a coalition of twenty different states running operations in the rest he last year.
Speaker 2: And against like France has a navy, like they've gotten a nuclear submarines they could in the world.
Speaker 3: Just like one example, HMS Diamond, which is a British ship, shot down a Hoothy missile last year. The UK also struck Houthy targets last year. Yeah, I've watched the UK carry out air strike. I've like they're very capable. Look what the rane what the Houthies have is Iranian three fifty eight to just get really nerdy for a second, right, which are not really a threat to mode fighter aircraft. It is like a loitering munition. Maybe a drone, yeah, but no no aircraft, not a manned or personed aircraft.
Speaker 2: The primary point of like how the Hoothies are conducting their strikes is not We're going to knock all of these ships out of the sea. It's it will It will create an unsustainable insurance situation for a lot of merchants. If there's just always kind of missiles. Even if we never really or almost never hit anybody, that doesn't really matter. You got to deal with the insurance thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to make that much more expensive and that that particular part of global trade much more difficult to conduct. So far, the Trump administration has doubled down in its response. This is pretty funny. Karen Levitt on Twitter X, I guess called Goldberg.
Speaker 5: She's the White House Press secretary. I believe press. That's correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what has press? Sex actually called Goldberg a quote Trump hater and also claimed the story was a quote hoax and a quote sensationalist spin. They are also right now claiming that quote war plans and quote attack plans are different things. The information they leaked to was too specific to constitute a war plan. Both of these things are kind of ludicrous claims, right, Very clearly, this is stuff that should be classified, very clearly. It's stuff that put those people's lives at risk in the event that the whoth He's had any means to respond to like F eighteen's, which I don't think they do really now. But you know, Iran, who absolutely is a state backer of the who he's, does have the ability, at least in theory. They they kind of haven't. They've kind of shown their ass a bit in the last year or two with Israeli strikes in a run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the ability to like easily interdict these kinds of strikes, but certainly the ability to and more importantly kind of the ability to survive them, to like mitigate the damage that they can do.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure to go underground or go somewhere else, and like those planes are vulnerable when at like certain points in their trajectory, I think, so, you know, Yeah, it's Germany very poor to broad to broadcast exactly what you're doing, when, where and how.
Speaker 2: It's kind of just a basic of like military stuff that you really don't want people to know exactly when you're sending dudes in to do what.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a very funny meme going around which basically had like imagined if the same discussion had been had about D Day in nineteen forty four, and yeah, that wouldn't have gone so well.
Speaker 2: They had brought a lot of great posts. I'm looking at one by Katie and Autopolis on Twitter right now. Having read through the full hoothy PC small group logs, I've come to the sad realization that I'm the Jdvans of my group chats, overly emotional, slightly unprofessional, confused by what everyone else is saying because I won't scroll up, continually derails plans with later rejections.
Speaker 5: So good, it's still good.
Speaker 2: It is that is really funny.
Speaker 5: That is brutal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is interesting to see their dynamics. It's interesting to see of Stephen Miller seemed to have the decisive word on like let's go ahead with Alice Miller. Oh yeah, speaking directly for the president.
Speaker 2: That's what's interesting because no one ever says the president has approved this, the president has said do this, Like Miller says something along the lines of like, we're going forward with this, or I've been told we're going forward with this, which is again not in terms of like it's a very Hitler way of doing things, right, yea, right, Like there's this I talk about this in the show. There's this decades long debate about like Hitler literally order the Holocaust or did he just kind of like keep making it clear to people that if they kept moving in a more holocausty direction that would.
Speaker 3: Like endear them to him.
Speaker 2: Aspects of both are true, but like, yeah, this is definitely kind of example of that ladder thing where Trump is probably like, yeah, somebody should probably fuck up those hoothies, and then Steven Miller goes like, yeah, Trump said, you know, we're good, keep moving forward. But he's also Miller's not dumb. He's not going to say Trump he's been doing this. He's gonna say he's.
Speaker 4: Been delegating so much more than his first term, to the point where his presidency is just rejecting a certain vibe that then other people have to carry out all of the details for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is very similar to the hit the regimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a term for this at the time, in the third Reck, it's called working towards the fuery Okay, right, where you're not going to get direct guidelines, you're supposed to figure out what he wants and move closer to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no exactly. Yeah, No, that's kind of been his new governing style. It's a lot smarter in terms of like just like you know, getting documents to sign and then projects certain certain like slogans or vibes that then everyone who works under him, which is at this point it's maybe like roughly twoted people tops have to all like figure out to like how to enact this thing that they think he wants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like gave it to the extent that he himself was saying he didn't sign the evocation of the Alien Enemies at that Rubio did. Yeah, his signatures on it in the federal record. But clearly it's kind of a Rubio or it seems from that that it's a Rubio concoction that he just greenlit. Just a quote from Miller in case you know, it's want of exactly what he said, as I heard it. The presume was clear colon green light, but we soon make clear to Egypt and Europe what we expect in return. So yeah, it's he never he never specifically says the President has okayed this. But yeah, that's obviously people in Europe really pissed. I've seen some statements from government ministers in the United Kingdom like the sort of maligning of Europe and its military powers is obviously going to piss those people off. Talking of pissing people off, should we pivot to advertisements?
Speaker 4: We should, which does not piss me off. It makes me really happy to consume.
Speaker 3: Garrison personally consumes all the products and services that support this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's definitely not true.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing that Garrison concerns, which is why they have poleegra.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that is, but sure, here's here's the ads, all right, we are so that.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, what's rending my additions?
Speaker 3: James, Yeah, okay, I'll just start so very amusingly is that's probably concerningly for him. Judge Boseberg, the same person who issued attentive restraining order against the Trump administration for the rendition of people to Venezuela has also been assigned signal lawsuit American Obsit versus HeiG Seth. So that guy that the one who Trump already called for his impeachment right has another crucial case in front of him. What the Trump administration has done in the court case pertaining to the rendition of people to El Salvador is invoked the state secrets privilege in court. Very ironic or very very ironic. They're talking about state secrets now, having just added Jeff Goldberg to the group chat. But that's what they have done. You can go back last week to understand sort of a bit more about where that's coming from. If you didn't listen to last week.
Speaker 5: Yeah we did.
Speaker 4: We did a whole episode on it last week.
Speaker 3: It's also continuing to claim that it didn't quote unquote remove migrants after the tentative restraining order was issued because they'd already been removed. The removal happened when they were loaded onto the plane. Is this argument concurrectly with this as a panel hearing? So that's a panel of three judges right which the government is appealing the attentive restraining order. During this hearing, quote Judge Patricia Millet said, quote the Nazis received better treatment under their Alien Enemies Act than these Venezuelan migrants, which is true. The Nazis had hearings in the nineteen thirties and they didn't just get loaded onto plane in the central work camp. Not a great reflection. And where we're at. The Trump administration is trying to challenge the jurisdiction of Bosberg, saying that they should have filed the same claim in Texas. Meanwhile, then, as whalen governments are filing a colegal claim in El Salvador to deliberate their citizens from SECOD. It's worth noting, of course, that these people, some of them, have been tortured by the Venezuelan government right and chose to flee at no small risk to their lives. Like if people have an listen to some of our older stuff, like I've been to the Darien Gap, which is the way that the vast majority of Venezuelan migrants come. You can listen to my episodes about that if you will know more about why people are leaving Venezuela. We have a little more information on some of the people detained. One of them is a makeup artist. He's a gay man who was beaten by guards as a US photojournalist. Watch another one that Miami Herald is reporting had been granted legal refugee status, So it seems that they sort of randomly grabbed tattooed Venezuelan's. Some of these people have been through background checks already, right at which they will have disclosed their tattoos. That's one of the things that they'll be asked about, and they would have disclosed those. So whether they control eft IT or quite how they came across these people, it's still a little bit unclear. A couple of other things regarding to immigration enforcement this week that have come across my radar but probably don't marrit a whole episode. It's been reported that the IRS is close to an agreement to hand over the tax records of undocumented people it's claimed for decades. If it won't do this, this is why most undocumented people pay taxes, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is something that the conservatives just like you don't believe, Yes, the like all these undocumented immigrants are aren't paying taxes like the rest of us, Like, no, actually they are.
Speaker 3: What they're not doing is receiving benefits from those taxes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yes, and this is a great way to have people want to pay less taxes if they're gonna get their information sent over to like the Gestapo, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The whole point was to not provide a distance. This is similar to why California gives driver's licenses to undocumented people and allows it to ensure vehicles, right, because you don't want to provide a disincentive to have a driver's license, you don't want to provide a disincentive to have insurance. We have now provided a disincentive to pay your taxes for undocumented people. So yeah, that will have consequences, and it will have consequences, especially in industries right like agriculture and construction and my large numbers of people tend to be undocumented. Talking of undocumented migration, the COMMA secretary Howard Lutnik reports it. He said it on the All In podcast. He has claimed to have already sold one thousand gold cards. So gold cards. If you didn't listen to our previous appoint that is Oh.
Speaker 5: I feel like I thought I'm getting dizzy.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, yeah, I am a ill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There is no process for applying for receiving a gold card yet, so it's extremely unclear what this means in immigration law terms.
Speaker 4: So he just got like a thousand texts from millionaires being like, yeah, I'll buy one maybe, Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Well multimillionaires five million each, right, Like so yeah, apparently not quite clear, Like and like he claims he sold them, Like is he going around shopping these around? Is this how they're going to replace a tax revenue from undocumented people? Like, oh my god, no one knows, no, no one knows what this means. Who do you pay? Like very unclear. So yeah, that's great. Uh, that that is that it's the current situation with immigration. I also wanted to add at least three people who were aware of died in San Diego count on the fourteenth of March in a storm while crossing the border. One young woman who survived was found next to the remains of her father, who died of exposure in a winter storm out here. So yeah, the border continues to be doing violence to some of the most marginalized people alive, which is great.
Speaker 2: We should pop in here. A story just dropped Michael Waltz, the National Security advisor who invited Jeffrey to that group chat journalists have found his public Venmo.
Speaker 5: Every time with the away Venmo.
Speaker 2: Quote unquote, it's full of journalists. I'm just gonna read a quote from an article on Prospect dot org.
Speaker 5: Yeah please.
Speaker 2: Unsurprisingly, Fox News holds the highest headcount for reporters in Mike Waltz's phone. Griff Jenkins, who's Fox dot com bio listen as a Washington based national correspondent for Fox, is joined on the list by Brian Kilmead, co host of Fox and Friends. Porter Berry, president and editor of Fox Digital, also made the gut But what right wing reporters are not the only ones represented in Waltz's Benmo list, which appears to be less than clean on obsec as Secretary of Defense. Hegseth roat Leland Vittert, a national correspondent for News Nation, is also listed on the digital account, as is Breonna Keeler, an American journalist who currently serves as co anchor of the afternoon edition of CNN News Central. Lauren Pikeoff, an executive producer at MSNBC, is also in Walls's contacts. Earlier this year, Trump tweeted about the network Wow. Rachel Maddow has horrible ratings. She'll be off the air soon. But amidst the broadcasters, producers, and talking heads, one name stands out from the crowd. Judith Miller, who was summarily fired from The New York Times after it was revealed that her reporting on the Iraq war was categorically false and obtained almost verbatim from Vice President Dick Cheney. Her dismissal was the price paid for cozying up too close to an administration set on war. It's just like, Okay, we don't check any of this, we haven't locked anything down.
Speaker 4: Good having your public venmo itself is crazy.
Speaker 5: The fact that.
Speaker 4: He's like the fact that he's like getting like dinner with journalists to be like I'll send you, I'll send you a venmo requests for this, for this sushi.
Speaker 3: Oh man, they've downloaded his entire friends list and you can just scroll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you can see everybody.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, He's had to get like a fifteen dollars venmo requests from Bryan killmead for getting drinks in a bar, like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Oh? What are we doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, how well these people make.
Speaker 3: Hundreds of thousands if not millions two dollars.
Speaker 5: You make so much money bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the bat it's just one drink.
Speaker 4: In DC's so funny. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now I think it's time, folks, that we take a little bit of a detour and talk about tariffs.
Speaker 5: Rocky Jaspar.
Speaker 3: Lock Locking.
Speaker 2: Cking Jasp, Oh my god, I love playing that song. I love playing that song. We don't actually have anything to say about tariffs. MIA's not here. I will note there's a graph going around about the potential cost of Guinness under Trump's tax plan, which is usually around seven dollars per pint in the US and will now be twenty two to twenty seven dollars after Trump's you know, new tariffs for imported alcohol.
Speaker 3: That reflects its true value because it's also.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely, anyway, We're done. That's all I have to say on tariffs.
Speaker 4: As long as the twisted tea pricing doesn't get affected, I'll be fine. Then that's good.
Speaker 3: Good huh I comment.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: In some more upsetting news, another student at Columbia has been forced into hiding as Ice targets her for deportation. Unsouchung is a twenty one year old permanent resident who immigrated to the United States from Korea with her family when she was seven. On March ninth, she'd received a text message from Homeland Security Investigations, reading, Hyensau, this is Audrey from the police. My job is to reach out to you and see if you have any questions about your recent arrest and the process going forward.
Speaker 5: What are you available for a phone call?
Speaker 4: So this message was allegedly in reference to being arrested, among others at a recent sit in protest at Bernard College at Columbia. She was charged and then released with misdemeanor obstruction. So after receiving that like sketchy text, right, something that you should never never respond to, You should immediately send your lawyer. But after receiving this text, Chung got an email from Columbia Public Safety reading quote, the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York has asked us to inform you that Homeland Security Investigation agents are seeking to make contact with you in connection with an administrative warrant for your arrest. Consistent with university's practice, we wanted to share this information and their request with you. If you are represented by counsel, it may make sense for your lawyer to speak directly with DHS now. That same day, ICE agents showed up at the home of Chunk's parents, and Chung's lawyer called quote unquote Audrey from the police, who revealed she was actually an ICE agent and stated that there was an administrative warrant for her arrest and that the State Department can revoke Miss Chung's residency status. We're going to talk more about what's happened with miss Chung after this at break.
Speaker 5: All right, we're back.
Speaker 4: So when ICE failed to locate this Columbia University student, they started to enlist the help of federal prosecutors. I'm going to quote from the New York Times who broke this story.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 4: On March tenth, Perry Carbone, a high ranking lawyer in the Federal Prosecutor's office, told miss Ahmad, miss Chung's attorney, that the Secretary of State Mark Rubio had revoked Miss Chung's visa. Miss Ahmad responded that Miss Chung was not in the country on a visa and was a permanent resident, according to the lawsuit. Miss car Bone responded that mister Rubio had quote revoked that as well unquote. So this similar to like a mamou Khali like demonstrats that like they have no idea of the of the actual residency status of the people that they are going after. They are just going after non citizens and may eventually start going after citizens too. Like they're just going after people that they assume have like the least amount of protections, whether that's a green card holder, whether that's someone on a student visa or a work visa. They don't really know going in. They're they're they're just going after people. Then, on March thirteenth, ICE searched two residences on campus with warrants, citing a statute for harboring non citizens. The Trump administration is arguing that Chung's presence in the United States hinders the administration's foreign policy agenda. One twenty one year old student who was the Vale Victorian at her eigh school is hindering their foreign policy agenda for attending a sit in protest. Her lawyers note that Chung was not, by any means like a movement leader. She was simply one of hundreds of students who joined in in nationwide protests against Israel's actions in Gaza. Her lawyer's right quote, Miss Chung has not made any public statements to the press or otherwise assumed a high profile role in these protests. She was rather one of a large group of college students raising, expressing, and discussing shared concerns. Chung herself had previously faced a university disciplinary process, which found that Chung was not in violation of any university policy. So in response to the actions of ICE and Homeland Security to try to locate and deport her, Chung went into hiding. Her whereabouts are still unknown as the time of recording, and her lawyers fouled a lawsuit to prevent her deportation, claiming that ICE actions against Chung are illegal and unconstitutional. The lawsuit reads, quote officials that the highest echalons the government are attempting to use immigration enforcement as a bludgeon to suppress speech that they dislike, including Miss Chung's speech. ICE's shocking actions against Miss Chung form part of a larger pattern of attempted US government repression of constitutionally protected protest activity and other forms of speech.
Speaker 5: Unquote.
Speaker 4: Now, this past Tuesday, a federal judge granted a temporary restraining order halting efforts from ICE to detain or relocate Chung. The judge said that there is quote nothing in the record indicating that Chung is a danger to the community or a quote unquote foreign policy risk, or that she is communicated with terrorist organizations. The judge said that there would be quote no trips to Louisiana here, referring to the movement of Khalil to ICE attention in Louisiana. A DHS statement said that ICE is going to quote investigate individuals engage in activities in support of hamas a foreign terrorist organization unquote. The statement also claimed that Chung would have an opportunity to present her case before an immigration judge, which is like contrary to incidence of ICE just deporting people before they're legally required hearings, even like in defiance of like extra court orders mandating those hearings. Like ICE is just lying here, and I think it's worth pointing out, like what types of people they are going after right now. One type of person that ICE is going after is like non citizens who were arrested at protests, regardless of what they actually did. Right This can be anything from from standing in the street to doing a sit in protest to just like being arrested on campus and removed by campus police or NYPD. Right, just just any arrest like on record that shows you at one of these protests the other in the cases like Khalil, like he was never arrested. He was the subject of a mass doxing campaign by other students at Columbia, professors and other you know, quote unquote anti Semitism organizations which target high profile activists to create like public pressure against them, and those same lists are now being used by the Trump administration to target students.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gita had one, right, Beta. They ultra Zionist people who are going around like attempting to fucking present people with pages. I think they were one of the groups that had created like a quote unquote deportation list. So we should just mention that a tough student, Romesa oz Tuk, was essentially abducted on her way to university.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: There's video which will link in the show notes here.
Speaker 4: Very very frightening video of her just standing on the sidewalk as first one man approaches her in like a in like a like a navy hoodie, put mask on his face, approaches her, stops her, and then as soon as they start engaging in conversation, she gets surrounded by like five other people, all wearing like what I would describe as like a gray man block essentially that they then like pull out badges and they like detain her. And it's interesting like as they approach, most of these people are unmasked, and then as soon as people realize what's happening, like like people in the neighborhood it realize what's happening, they all start pulling up like a like half faced mask like gaters gators.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they looked to me more like than anything the way prowd boys dressed a lot, and like Jorany in nineteen twenty twenty. Yeah, it's yeah, like.
Speaker 3: Like it's extremely concerning, like yes, when you start seeing at these people mass people snatching people off the street, right, She asks if she asked if she can call the cops, and they say, we are the police. It looks like her phone falls out of her hand at some point they take her bag. We know this because it seems like somebody was filming from a building just above and you can hear that people say like why are you covering your person?
Speaker 5: Saying why are you wearing masks?
Speaker 3: Why are you covering your faces.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the guy, the guy filming is like doing about what he can, given the fact that you have to assume he had no real idea what was happening initially other than like something visibly fucked up. Like I'm glad he said the things that he said.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, she's a Turkish citizen who is in the States on a student visa in Boston, Massachusetts or outside Boston, Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's on a F one visa. So just a couple of dates. A few days before she was seized, she was like her name was published by Canary Mission right. Canary Mission is a Zionist group that has been doxing for Palestine or anti genocide people for several years now. She had co edited an op ed in the Tought Daily last year. It seems to be how they were able to identify her. But as Garrison said, right like, in terms of how they're picking their targets right now, it seems to be heavily tied to these vigilanti zionists, far right groups. I did see that a judge has already ruled that she shouldn't be left, she shouldn't be removed from Massachusetts without further consultation with that judge.
Speaker 2: And we don't know if she has been or not already.
Speaker 4: But this is this is continuing to happen, right, we talked about it this last week. I'm going to do a whole episode next week about this, about this issue.
Speaker 3: She is in Louisiana. Sorry, update, she has already been moved to Louisiana. Yeah, so I'm just reading a truth out piece here. Officials initially did not specify wells have been taken and Canabi it's her lawyer was unable to reach her. Later on Wednesday, Hanabe's said in a motion that she was informed by a senator's office that the student was already transferred to Louisiana.
Speaker 4: It's like in a matter of hours they worked to get her like outside of her home state, or she probably has more legal protections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not something that's super uncommon. I've seen them do this with what they called lateral transfers under Title forty two, where they would move people. Under Title forty two, they can immediately return people to Mexico, right, And what they would do is is laterally transfer them along the border and return them to another location in Mexico, which obviously led to them being completely dislocated when they were dropped in Mexico.
Speaker 4: Something else that I want to note is the use of this harboring non citizens warrant. Like, one problem that ICE can run into often is that people can choose just to not answer the door. I usually likes to rely on people that have already been arrested or already detained by like police, Right, that makes it much easier for immigration officials to find people without that locating people can be a little bit harder with the use of this like harboring non citizens warrant, that shows like there's trying to create this precedent for being able to actually break into more people's homes even though you know she had a permanent resident status. This is just like in terms of the tactics being used, similar to like you know this all these like gray man block people approaching you on the street one by one. That's like a tactic to take note of. The use of this type of warrant is also something to take note of. We are already at that point where people are like are like going into hiding, right, This is like very very like dystopian ya coded stuff where you're like, you are literally as like as a twenty one year old like junior being forced to go into hiding because federal agents are after you because you sat down. Yeah, you sat down in front of a building in protest of a genocide. You're not even a movement leader, and this this type of thing shouldn't even happen to quote unquote movement leaders.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, if the very First Amendment protects your right to do that exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But like, regardless of whether or not you're involved in the planning the organization, whether or not you're making statements depressed, whether or not you're you're you're giving speeches, if you just attend these sorts of things, you are you are a target by what is like very obviously a modern version of like gestopo like actions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's also quite revealing that she's somewhat successfully gone into hiding, right, Like it suggests that, yeah, their intelligent operation is not so advioleance that they were able to immediately find her.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because again, the resources to do stuff like trace somebody down by their shoes from like surveillance camera footage exists. We saw it used on those lawyers who let a police vehicle fire at twenty twenty. But like, there's not really much in the way a crime's going on here, and there also had there's so many of these people, Like the idea that you would you would pull all of the footage that you would need to track every one of these, it's just it's just not feasible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think they're just go after someone else, right to get the headline. But I'll be following this one with interest because it's sort of it's sort of an alternative outcome to the other ones that we've seen so far, So it'll just be revelatory to see how it goes. Yeah, So if you want to contact us about any of this, maybe if you're seeing things happening on your campus, if you have anything you'd like to share, or the things that you think we've missed, you can do so. The email address is cool Zone tips at proton dot me. Proton Mail is an encrypted email service. It's only end to end encrypted like signal. If you send it from a proton mail address, don't copy any Atlantic journalists on your email, and you should be good to go.
Speaker 4: Thank you to everyone who's been sending those messages. It does take time for us to go through all of them. Not all of them will have a response, but we are reading them.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I am still working on a piece in the Lavender scare. There's a lot of stuff happening regarding you know, suppres and going after trans people in the military. This takes time, but we are working on that, slowly but surely, as well as stuff regarding ice, targeting students and what's going on in Colombia. So we appreciate that. The last thing I want to talk about is this past Monday, the IDF killed two Palestinian journalists in Gaza in separate air strikes. Mohammed Mansour, who works for Palestine Today, was killed quote in his house in southern Gaza, alongside his wife and his son without any prior warning, according to Al Jazeira. Later that day, the IDF killed a twenty three year old a Palestinian journalist, Hassam Shabbat, in a targeted airstrike while he was driving his car in northern Gaza. I want to read this statement from Hassam quote. If you're reading this, it means I have been killed, most likely targeted by the Israeli occupation forces. When all this began, I was only twenty one years old, a college student with dreams like anyone else. For the past eighteen months, I've dedicated every moment of my life to my peak. I documented the horrors in northern Gaza, minute by minute, determined to show the world the truth they tried to bury. I slept on pavements, in schools, intense anywhere I could. Each day was a battle for survival. I endured hunger for months, yet I never left my people's side. By God, I fulfilled my duty as a journalist. I risked everything to report the truth, and now I am finally at rest, something I haven't known in the past eighteen months. I did all this because I believe in the Palestinian cause. I believe this land is ours, and it has been the highest honor of my life to die defending it and serving its people. I ask you now, do not stop speaking about Gaza. Do not let the world look away, keep fighting, keep telling our stories until Palestine is free.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 5: It could happen.
Speaker 9: Here is a production of Cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from Cool Zone Media, visit our website zon media dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.