Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Monday, Best and Worst of the Weekend eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show, NBA tips Off, It's a New Era on NBC and Peacock Rockets, Thunder Warriors, Lakers. That'll be tomorrow NBC and streaming on Peacock. We have our jerseys on today. The NBA said pick a jersey, and I actually picked Pete Maravich from his Atlanta Hawks day days, but they couldn't replicate that in time. Yes time.
Speaker 3: I initially picked Kareem, which would have been perfect because Kareem's obviously you know, with thirty three, and we know how many points the Broncos scored in the fourth quarter. That would have been awesome. But I love Jayalen Brunton too, but my first JOS was Kareem. It just would have been very ironic to have thirty three on today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod. You could have picked Larry Bird.
Speaker 4: I could have, but I do the skyhook, which we all know, so that I went with the Oh, that's right.
Speaker 2: We would have had three Laker jerseys, So Todd has his jalland Brunson Jersey on Seaton has Bronnie James Jersey on Marvin has who do you have on Marvin Anthony Edwards, Anthony Edwards, PAULI has Steph Curry and I've got Luca don Chiic since I'm picking him for MVP. All right, we'll get to your phone call's final hour, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like baseball tonight? Mariners in the Blue Jays. Just a suggestion, and it's a suggestion, don't pitch to Vlad Guerrero. He is on a heater right now. He is doing something that the last time this happened, it was Babe Ruth. And speaking of Babe Ruth, show, Hey Otani did some things that even Babe Ruth didn't do. Ron Darling was on the call the former World Series champ with the Mets and broadcasting with TBS in the booth for Friday Night the Pennant clinching victory. Ronnie, You've seen a lot of baseball. Oo have you seen anything that compares to what you saw on Friday Night?
Speaker 5: I've never seen anything like it, you know, I think that We're used to seeing great things from great athletes, and we always find the words. I found it very difficult to find any words for what happened on Friday night. That's something that I thought might be one hundred years from now. Maybe I didn't know it was, it was present now. It's just it was stuff that you see in Williamsport. You don't see at Dodger Stadium on a Friday night.
Speaker 2: A Little League World Series instead of a playoff. But you know, no other player has this opportunity to pitch and then bat lead off. I mean there's nobody else. Even Babe Ruth didn't do this. He probably batted third in the lineup with the Yankees, but he stopped pitching to just then concentrate on hitting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's and you know, the pitching and the way you pitched and got people out in those days certainly is a little different than what guys are looking at today. But I remember, I'm old enough that when I was drafted, I remember saying to my agent, I said, what if I don't like who drafts, why can't I go to Japan and play for a couple of years. I'm twenty years old. It would be a great place to hang out, learn a lot about baseball formative years, and also a new culture. And my agent told me that you'd be blackballed from baseball forever. But the one thing he did say, and I'll never forget it, because he said, you know, it's inferior baseball over there. They'll have some pitchers maybe someday come over and make their mark, but the everyday player will never have a place in a Major League baseball. And in my lifetime we have the best player that I've ever seen was born in Japan.
Speaker 2: But you also look at this and you wondered that will this spawn other players who and using your pitture as your shortstop and your best player any bats third in the lineup. Why haven't we seen more this? Paul Schemes was a great hitter in college, and I don't know, can you take advantage of that? Will teams do that?
Speaker 5: You know? I can only speak from my own experience, because when I hear about other pitchers that were great hitters, I'm always a little skeptical. And only in this sense is that I was a player pitcher myself, and I had great years as a collegiate, and then I started taking a batting practice against major league pitchers and the spin and the velocity, and I was, wow, am I out of my league? So even most collegiate collegiate players who are great hitters and pitchers find when they get to the major league level that they're not. So that's what makes it even more remarkable.
Speaker 2: Well, was it more remarkable the pitching or the hitting if we separate the two that he hits three bombs, but also the pitching, because man, that was some filthy stuff that he was throwing.
Speaker 5: Well, I think if we separated the pitching was remarkable only because he hasn't done a lot of it this year and that he could be two weeks in between throwing in a major league and produced those kind of results. But the one thing Dan I will tell you, especially his second and third home run. Our people at Turner, they do such a great job with the pictures in the sound, they could not replicate the sound that second home run made from the booth. It sounded like someone had shot off a cannon. I mean, the sound of the connection between bat and ball. I've never heard that before, and I've heard some great sounds, including some personally off that ended up going a long way, but I had never in the booth heard something that loud, and you know, we tried to capture it leaving the stadium. And when I was a young player going to Dodger Stadium for the first time, I had people all the time say, well, that's where Stargel hit the ball over the pavilion. And I guess, kind of like Ted Williams seat in Femway Park. Yeah, whatever, you know, whatever you want to say. That's great, that's a nice story. And then you see someone do it and you say to yourself that which you thought was impossible is possible.
Speaker 2: I have fallen in love with this sound, and you bring that up, and I would just have Marvin, who gets all of our sound, I'd say, just get me Otani hitting that home. There's nobody who sounds that way. You could say I'm gonna play five sounds and I'll go, well, that one's Otani. I don't know if any like Bonds McGuire, who I don't know who you faced that you would go, oh my god. As soon as it hits the bat, you know that it's gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there definitely is a different sound for the amazing hitter Barry. I faced them early in his career, and there definitely was Ken Griffy Jr. The ball would leave his bat in a specific way, but the thunder which comes off the bat of Atani is just special.
Speaker 2: Explain to me the Dodgers plan is to let their starters go a little bit further. It seems to be counterintuitive to what everybody else in baseball is doing.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, because they're at a perfect spot. They've done something that very few teams can do, have done, or.
Speaker 2: Afford to do, and that is do you need to get a drink of water? Go ahead? Yeah, drink water?
Speaker 5: Do you mind? So give me one second?
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead. So Ron was on the call. That was Friday night with Game four, the TBS lead analyst. He won the World Series back with the mention in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm sorry about that that very few teams can do. They got these pictures Snell and Glassnew and others, and they're at a spot where they've only pitched sixty to one hundred innings. So right now in October, they have the most well rested staff with some of the most talented pitchers in baseball performing at their best, and I think that's why they're asking more of them than you've ever seen in the playoffs. We've had guys before that they get to this point they have two hundred innings or one hundred and eighty five innings. We're talking about guys that you can push for a couple of reasons. One is that they're where they're at innings wise, But two, they've made their money, Dan, and that seems to be a very important thing for especially pitchers in baseball. If they've made their money, I think they're more willing to go that extra mile.
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 5: I think that when you get to the postseason and you're dealing with a player or a pitcher that has not gotten his four or five year contract, they're agent themselves, people around them, the team are hesitant sometimes to push them to a level that they've never been before. But if they've made their money, I feel like they feel confident that they can go and go that extra mile and pitch seven eight innings as opposed to the five or six that you see before.
Speaker 2: Vlad Guerrero has been hot the entire postseason. I mean Otani was hot for one game. Lad Guerrero I got a walking Ryan.
Speaker 5: I'm amazed. We're supposed to be at the smartest point we've ever been in baseball, and sometimes it's really nothing more than throwing all the papers away and everything and charts and all of that and just watching an athlete at his best. I guess we've all been waiting for Junior to get to this point because we knew he had all the talent in the world. But it's and I know you know this better than anyone, when the talent and maturity clash all at the same time, it's one of the most beautiful things to watch in athletes. And that's where he is right now. He just his intelligence about hitting is coupled with his athletic, innate athletic talent, so it's fun to watch it. I'm with you that Seattle would ever challenge him at any point makes no sense to me.
Speaker 2: If I and this is apples and oranges, but if I took the Bill buck game, Game six in the World Series, yeah, and put that up against Otani's game Friday night, crazier game that you'd think you would never see again, which one would it be?
Speaker 5: Well, I think it would be the Buckner game. To me, I think only because Otani could do it again and he might be again in the World Series. It was just the strangest thing with that game because it was built on the Mets coming back in Game six in the NLCS against Bob Nepper three runs down. It was coupled with Dave Henderson leading off that ending with a home run and adding an extra run against Rick Aguilera, who would become one of the great closers in the game. All of that together, no one recovers from that. But because of guys like Gary Carter and Kevin Mitchell and Ray Knight and Mookie Wilson, we had a big thing in one of the playoff games that bright terrang the second basement, couldn't get out of the way of a pitch, or did get out of the way of a pitchy but the bases loaded and if he got hit, they would have tied the game. And I think to myself, I might not have had a career in TV if Mookie Wilson couldn't have got out of the way before he hit that ground ball, and we ended up putting the World Series. So you never know what's kind of transpire.
Speaker 2: It was so strange being there that night and going into the locker room and Keith Hernandez always had a six pack up. I think, Michelob, Yeah, Michelob, you got it right. And then I went in there and I realized he was in there when the rally was happening, getting undressed, and it was one of those where, I mean, everybody kind of thought this foregone conclusion, but it's still one of those. You want to talk about a roar when you guys won that game, That roar at Chase Stadium was incredible. And then I had to go into the Red Sox locker room to interview Bill Buckner right after that.
Speaker 5: I mean, one of the worst things you ever have to do, right anytime you have to go into the loser's locker room, but especially with Bill, who's one of the great players, one of the great hitters they have to face. The one thing I will say about that night is in the locker rooms aren't like they are now. The locker rooms are pretty pathetic in those days, and we had that popcorn ceiling, and because of the war, as you were talking about, and the people dancing in the stands, all of the soot and dirt was coming through the popcorn ceiling and all of us thought. I think as a collective group, this stadium could come down. But I think we're all comfortable. If it's going to come down, this is the best time.
Speaker 2: Who do the Dodgers want to face between these two teams tonight?
Speaker 5: I don't think the Dodgers care who they face. They tell you the truth. I think they're at a point right now where they're extremely confident. They've got five future Hall of famers, if you include the manager on the ball club. They're playing peak with their starting pitching, the relievings coming along, and the lineup is as tough as any of the game. I don't I don't think they fear anyone if they had to face the team maybe Seattle because of that way they stay on the West Coast, it's a little easier travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I've So you got Otani, Mookie Kershaw, Freeman, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: There you go. That's that's uh, that's their Hall of famers at some point. So and then we haven't and we have what if Snell gets his third sim you know there's other other players too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, can three Cy youngs?
Speaker 5: You feel like it it at least gets you in the conversation.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, I don't know anymore with starting pitching, Yeah exactly. I mean it's really hard to go like what what gets you in as a starter anymore.
Speaker 5: I know we're going to have starters in the near future. We're going to have less than a hundred and fifty wins who are going to be seriously considered. And that's how much the game has changed. In fact, I think the win is going to change. It's going to be a collective decision by some group. I don't know if it's going to be the official scorer that will give it to whoever pitched the best that day. The five innings and all of that I think are going to go by the wayside someday. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it's going to go.
Speaker 2: So it'd be open to interpretation from the official score of you get a win and you went two and two thirds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, exactly. Well, a starting pitcher could go four and two thirds of scoreless baseball. Everyone else kind of suffers, and he gets to win even though he didn't meet our five inning minimum.
Speaker 2: But then, can you look back and look at some of these pitchers who ended up with two hundred and fifty wins. And now do you look at Mike Musina differently, or you know Bert Weylevin or Tommy John or you know it was you know Kurt Shilling, who should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: In my opinion one hundred percent, I'm a big haul guy. All those guys I look at differently anyways, because they were kind of old school meets the new school. In this format, I think I can find maybe fifty or sixty more wins for myself. I'll have to see.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Ronnie, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan anytime.
Speaker 2: That's Ron Darling. He was in the booth for the NLCS game four. Also, you look at that eighty six Mets team, they should have won a couple more. That's a talented team. But man, were they odd balls. There were some goofballs on that team. Who on the road they didn't get cheated?
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, to me, they're like the Motley Crew of sports, the hardest partying team of all time. They're easily a one seed. There's four one seeds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they There was a lot of things going on and I was on I was around the team on the periphery. You know, I didn't. You're just kind of hearing stuff, and I didn't cover the team on a daily basis. But if we were doing a story, a feature on Strawberry or a feature on Doc Gooden, then you'd be out there. And then I was out there for all of those World Series games, yes, time.
Speaker 4: And to still somehow win it all.
Speaker 3: Granted they should have won multiple times, like you know, we say the Braves should have won multiple ones, but you remember the.
Speaker 4: Bronx Zoo years with the Yankees time, those kinds.
Speaker 3: Of characters and troublemakers for lack of a better word, and to still win World Series, To be able to act that way and still.
Speaker 2: Win, Yeah, I go back to the Oakland A's in the early seventies. They were like that too, that there was kind of function with their dysfunction. The Cowboys, although they were a team, they were just doing some things at the White House that you know, not everybody was doing. But it wasn't like the Oakland A's had felt like there was feuds going on all the time. Yes, Marvin, what about.
Speaker 7: The Oakland Raiders like the late seventies, did they have a bunch of characters where you can believe they won or was that just for show?
Speaker 2: Oh no, they were characters, Oh yeah, start with Alzato. But I think they gave you the impression that they might have been outlaws off the field, just the impression of them and that uniform. But you know, you had great players. You can't forget about that. They were a great team. All right, A little bit late here, taking a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's me Rob Parker.
Speaker 8: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport.
Speaker 2: Whether you believe in analytics or.
Speaker 8: The Ie test, We've got all the bases covered. New episode drop every Thursday, So do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Fun to reminisce with Ron Darling, you know, being around him when he was actually pitching for the Mets and being there in nineteen eighty six, and when you think about that didn't win the World Series. That was Game six, Boston leed. In Game seven, bruce Hurst was on the mound and he was dealing, and the Mets somehow came back and won that as well. But you want to talk about a locker room that was wild. That was the first time I saw goggles on guys partying at Lenny Dykstra, Roger McDowell, Danny Heap, Wally Backman, those guys. I remember they had goggles on because they were going hardcore party in there. All right, what are the Dolphins waiting for? That was my thought this morning, because you get embarrassed by the Browns bad games by Tua. You can't move on from Tua, not until probably after next season. But it's going to be a big cap hit there for the life of me. For the life of me, I've said this and I'll say this as well. Tua has been very friendly to the show. He was a good guest. When we had him on at the Super Bowl. His father came up, introduced himself and said that he enjoys the show. But you know, I put that to the side. I have to assess who you are on the field when you're playing, and he's not good, And I thought, why would you extend him? Why you could have just not yet, just say not yet and make him play one more year. And even after that, I said I would have franchise tag him. I just don't think that's the kind of quarterback who is going to be successful in the NFL. Throw in the injuries. Now, I know hey gets the ball out quickly. I know that you got Tyreek Hill and Jalen Wantall. You've got a head coach who's you know, an offensive minded coach. I'm not going to say genius. We tend to throw that out a lot. But I never would have extended him. Never, and maybe it would have cost me more, but I needed to find out more from him, Like it felt like, all right, he's got pockets here where, okay, But then there were other parts where I'm like that arm's not strong. You can get it out quickly, but and you're not durable. So I got to see more. And even then, if I franchised him, you can walk away from that. So this isn't revisionist history. I'm not saying this now because I didn't say it back then. I did. The injury issues now, granted, thankfully we haven't had that with him, but they're real. You're more susceptible to concussions when you have them and you're not dealing with a twisted ankle. But I mean, Mike McDaniel's going to lose his job. Tyreek Hill can't play for you can't be traded. I got Jalen like, what do I have here? But if you keep him on? Does this talk? Does it say more about the front office here, ownership here? And maybe they don't want to fire him and they want to keep him on, which it's fine. I mean, maybe you don't want to go pay somebody else to come in. You're not going to hire somebody now. But you start to look at this and you go, where's it going? And how did it get so bad? Because I think people probably thought, hey, if the Dolphins play some defense here, they're going to be a great offense. Now you look, this is why I think the Patriots their playoff team. The Jets aren't any good and the Dolphins aren't any good, and you can go toe to toe. I believe with the Buffalo Bills. I think Buffalo is better, but not by a sizeable leap. But Mike McDaniel has to talk to the media tomorrow. Is he going to be there to talk to them? Ryan in Detroit, Hi, Ryan, thanks for holding best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hey, Dan, thanks for calling me back. I've got two best and a question for Fritzy Notre Dame game. First best wife and I went over there and it was an awesome atmosphere, great win for the Irish. Weather was a problem, but it was still a lot of fun. Second best and I'm forty eight, Dan, but I still have the mentality of my six year sixth grade son.
Speaker 10: I couldn't get.
Speaker 9: Over the sign in the back of the James Franklin interview on game day it said Lane Kiffin poops standing up and for whatever reason, I just couldn't stop laughing. Very serious interview.
Speaker 2: It was up there for a long time. Ryan, I like, how when there's an opening, the first name, well, okay, you have people going you know, first call I would have for Penn State Urban Meyer. I go, no, no, that's not your first call. You know the first call i'd have Nick Saban, No, no, no, you know who I'd call Lane Kiffin. I go, okay, that might be a possibility every opening Florida. Hey, you know who they should go after, Lane Kiffin. If I'm Lane Kiffin, stay at Old miss Stay there. You got your family there, you seem to be healthy, You've done a great job there. Don't chase, don't chase. You can make a great living. That's a wonderful place to live. Your daughter's going to school there. But hey, you know the mentality of coaches now is I got to key moving, got to keep moving, got to keep moving. And by Kurt Signetti, I'm glad. I never would have given him eight years, but I'm glad that he has stability and he's sixty four years of age, and timing is everything. Maybe they found their coach. But you know, it won't take long before people expect you in the playoffs every year. Hey we're paying you, now, we expect this. With Penn State, hey we're paying you, we expect this. And then when you don't get to those levels, exceed those levels expectations, that's when all of a sudden they come after you. But Penn State, great job, but you know the expectations when you go in there. It's not just making the playoffs. Now, you got to win big games and go back to when when Ryan Day, they lose to Michigan. Now, all of a sudden, it felt like his job was in jeopardy. It wasn't that long ago. It was, oh my god, you lost to Michigan again. Coaches get fired at Ohio State when you do that. And if he doesn't win the national title, I don't. I mean, maybe they don't move on from him, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities there. And then you know what, first called urban You know who I'd call Nick Saman's got a great life. Everybody's trying to shoehorn him into jobs. You could go to Cleveland Browns. He could, but now that would be stupid. He's going to come back and coach Penn State.
Speaker 7: No, yes, Marman, if you're Florida, do you reach out to James Franklin first?
Speaker 2: Sure? Why not? I'd kick the tires on everybody. Ryan, Thank you for the phone call. Michael in Oregon, Hey Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hi?
Speaker 12: Dan?
Speaker 13: It's an all Mariner best and worst.
Speaker 14: Okay, of course, I'm surprised no one else has touched on this Saturday night was just the most amazing eighth and ninth inning of all time in baseball. It shows you what God the emotion of baseball, so that Grand Slam unbelievable. And then last night the worst they had bases loaded twice with one out in the middle innings and even cal cal Wift is just like, oh no.
Speaker 13: My son and I followed the Mariners since way back, Bruce Balkdey, Alvin Davis, even the Gorman Thomas all those years, and this is incredible tonight, Dan, It's all about tonight. Baseball is amazing.
Speaker 10: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael. Here's one for you. The Mariners are the first team to ground into double plays with the bases loaded in consecutive innings in a postseason game since nineteen forty. Also, Seattle grounded into a third consecutive double play in the fifth inning. Prior to Sunday, the Blue Jays pitcher Trey you Savage had not gotten a groundball double play in his career. Crazy stat of the today I brought to you by Penny America, the official trading cards of the program, Patrick and Grand Rapids. Hi Patrick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 15: Thanks for taking my call first time? Caller. I thought it was a tremendous job you guys did in South Bend, and I just wanted to comment about the game. And I thought, and I'm not trying to knock USC. I thought, you know, they always bring talent to the field. It's a great rivalry. I hope it never ends. But my my question is centered around Lincoln Riley. I mean, he left Oklahoma. It was big hype, big, big hype. He's going to be the second coming at USC, you know, probably even greater than Pete Carroll. Is his relevancy gone if he doesn't? You know now that he's lost to Notre Dame consecutive years. Is his relevancy gone if he doesn't win the Big Ten this year?
Speaker 10: I mean, what's well.
Speaker 2: He's not going to win the Big Ten, but he's flirting with his relevancy. This is one of those situations where and they got up to a good start and they look great against Michigan, but they're waiting. They're paying him a lot of money, they're waiting for these big moments there and whether this is true or not, but wanting out of Oklahoma to go to USC because there's a softer landing in the Pac twelve than the Big ten or the SEC, and you know your schedule's not as difficult. Well, you don't have that luxury because now you're in the Big ten, so you can avoid the SEC. By Big ten. Pretty tough sledding as well. Got to win these games, and there was some questionable play calling in there, and even Lincoln Riley acknowledged that. But you beat Michigan and you got Oregon coming up. Paulie wants to play the Kevin Durant career salary game. He just signed a two year extension for ninety million dollars. They gave up a lot to get Kevin Durant. Would they give up like five second round picks or you know for guy thirty eight thirty nine years of age? All right, let's do the career set. He's done pretty well.
Speaker 15: Salary salary, salary salaries.
Speaker 2: That's the best part of it. You think it's over, and then it's one more. Okay, two parter. How much has he made and where does that rank all time? You want to do that?
Speaker 6: I love that?
Speaker 2: Okay, So two parter.
Speaker 6: Kevin Durant, this includes I want you to include when you pick his price all time? What he's going to get in the next two years, which is about ninety million dollars. Okay, So what will it be if you assume this is his last?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: God, five hundred and thirty eight million dollars?
Speaker 2: All right, seat O'Connor, I'm gonna put it him at six even, okay, Marvin six hundred and nineteen million. Dang, I'm gonna go five twenty seven to five.
Speaker 6: After the next two years, Kevin Durant will have made five hundred and ninety one million dollars.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 6: As a rookie, he made four million, congratulations.
Speaker 2: Okay. Where would that rank him on the all time NBA list?
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, there's only two dudes ever who have made over five hundred as of today. Okay, there's six dudes who have made over four hundred.
Speaker 2: Wait, we just you just told us where he ranked all time.
Speaker 6: No, not yet, because that's what he's got coming to.
Speaker 2: But then you said there's two guys in front of it.
Speaker 6: No, I said, there's two guys who have five hundred and counting.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, uh JD.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say second highest after the ninety million deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, see man six Yah.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say he's at the top. I think he's number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin number one. Also, I'm gonna go one with a bullet.
Speaker 6: Lebron James is number one all time. Lebron is sitting at five eighty one. Kevin Durant is second, sitting at five oh one. They both have money in coming. Steph hurry, steph yeah for seventy in counting James Harden for eleven. Uh, this next one's a wild one. Paul George is at four hundred and six million and counting. Chris Paul is at four o four and counting.
Speaker 2: Dang, Thanks, Dang, Paul George, Dang, Paul George, James Hard and Chris Paul. How many titles there? For one point two billion dollars?
Speaker 6: A decade ago, Kevin Garnett at three thirty four, Yeah, was the highest paid NBA player of ball time. He's now fifteenth.
Speaker 2: What's Sga and Luca gonna make? What's Victor Winbin Yama gonna make? Because it's all slotted, you know you're you're gonna make a certain amount of money? And Victor is what twenty two? What's Cooper flag? Gonna make if he proves to be all star caliber. He looks pretty good. He does looks pretty good. I have to admit, although Reed Shepherd looked good the other night. I'm watching him going all right, Reid, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Everybody looks good in the preseason.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, well, No, Reed Shepherd looked good in the summer League.
Speaker 7: Right, a bunch of guys that aren't going to play in the NBA.
Speaker 2: He was killing, Yes, I thought, yeah, man, they took him like third, didn't they?
Speaker 7: Yes, they did. But he's on the rockets this year with k do so another weapon.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna get any shots.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't gi him any shots either, Vin Kevin Durantz there you don't need.
Speaker 2: And he did average twenty six a game last year. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 6: There's a breakdown on Sports Business Journal of Webbin Yama. If he makes certain escalators like first team or MVP, his deal that he can get the Supermax three years from now would be a five year, five hundred and thirteen million.
Speaker 2: He's going to make a billion dollars. Yeah, gonna make a billion dollars.
Speaker 6: He should be. He is on pace to be the first one hundred million dollar a year.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 6: It's got to take some work, but he's on pace.
Speaker 2: All right, last call for phone calls. What we learned, what's in store for tomorrow? We try to answer all those questions after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Nine of the top twenty five teams lost this weekend. Number two Miami falls to Louisville. Old Miss loses to Georgia. Tennessee handled easily by Alabama. LSU. They fell to Vandy, so Notre Dame winn and then the dominoes fall, and then this is where you start to move up. And as long as you keep winning, they're not getting knock you out of that spot. By the way, Reggie Miller, the return of Reggie Miller tomorrow. Yeah, all right, Rag, all right, we've been talking a lot about show. Hey Tani, here's his manager, Dave Roberts talking about the greatness that he saw Friday night.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that was, you know, the greatest, probably the greatest postseason performance of all time. And there's been a lot of postseason games, and uh, there's a reason why he's the greatest player on the planet. You know, what he did on the mound, what he did at the bat, he created a lot of memories for a lot of people.
Speaker 17: And so for us to you know, have a game clinching to do it in a game clinching game at home Wednesday, and I'll c SMVP pretty special and I'm just happy to be able to go along for the ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to be able to manage somebody like that. But he'd been in a slump during postseason, but certainly broke out in a grand way on Friday night. Uh, Zack and Albert kerque Hi, Zach, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey, damn, thanks for taking my calls first time caller six four two thirty five.
Speaker 15: Cool.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I just wanted to give him best and worse for the weekend. I know you guys hit on it a lot already, but by Denver Broncos if nothing else, you know, they're entertaining, whether it's the last second loss or the last second wins. And then my worst, it's got to be my Tennessee Vols getting handled by Alabama, and that was tough to watch.
Speaker 2: Alabama's got a good quarterback. He's good. Ty Simpson's good. I thought Gunner with Georgia played some good, good football. But Simpson's good. I remember when they had that first loss and then you know he was running for his life. But he's good. I don't know if he's NFL because we always get caught up. Can he play it like Diego Pavilla, I don't know. I mean, maybe he's a Baker Mayfield. I'm just enjoying him now like everybody had Carson Beck being a first round pick, and I go, I don't think he's a good quarterback. I mean, I think he's got moments. I think he gives the presentation of being a really good quarterback. But take away that one headed grab by the Miami receiver against Notre Dame that's picked off. They don't win. But yeah, maybe maybe they're back, and maybe they're a legitimate, you know, top five, top ten team. It's always good when Miami is back.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvion, I thought Carson Beck being kind of jettison out of Georgia tells you everything you need to know about his NFL prospects.
Speaker 2: Paul in North Carolina, Hi Paul what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan, Happy Monday, quig beston worst of the week, and also are the worst my i uga alum are defense looking unrecognizable once again for my best and Gunner stocking. You won twelve or twelve in the second half of three touchdowns. Dan, I'm also calling from Asheville, home of mid October VP week O'Donnell. This is his hometown, so we're proud of what he's doing. Don in Carolina. And finally, Dan, I just wanted to piggyback on Ron Darnland's conversation. I'm a big Mets fan and earlier this year, a Mets pitcher came in with like a five run lead in the eight, gave up, I don't remember the exact number, gave up, gave up the lead, gave up like four or five runs. The Mets retook the lead in the bottom of the eighth, BS closed it in the ninth, and the official score did not give that reliever the win because there's a rule it's called the brief and ineffective rule. If a score games, that a pitcher briefing in effect, if he can reward the win to somebody else. So that moved that Ron Darland stocking, but is not completely unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Oh great, thank you, Paul. I appreciate that. This day in sports history polling, I.
Speaker 6: Got a couple for you, Dan, I got. Nineteen thirty sixty, AP released its first weekly college football poll. Who was the number one team in the country eighteen thirty six? Chicago No Top ten though, give you a loop Army, the Minnesota Golden Gophers. The Gophers, this is a great one. Nineteen eighty nine the Houston Cougars and Andre Ware against SMU. The final score was ninety five to twenty one. That's a football game. They ran up oney twenty one yards of total offense on SMU.
Speaker 2: It was on this state. Nineteen sixty eight, the Fallsbury flop became the accepted way to hide jump Dick Fonnsbury. He won the gold medal in the Mexico City Olympics.
Speaker 11: Not a lot of times in the history somebody's completely reinvented an entire sport and then it became the way to do it after that.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. But did Tony Hawk do this in skateboarding?
Speaker 6: It's kind of apples and oranges. It's like they were doing the jump like a scissor kick.
Speaker 5: The high jump.
Speaker 6: He used to be a scissor kick, and you landed on your back. Then Fosbury went back arch the back hole.
Speaker 11: It's like if you were shooting underhanded and that was the way basketball was always done, and then you started shooting overhand like that, and now that's the only way you do it.
Speaker 2: Crazy feels like there's a play on the Faunsbury flop name here coming from Fritzy No.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, if you lose ninety five twenty one, are you shaking the hands of the other head coach?
Speaker 4: Sounds like a little bit of a running up of the score.
Speaker 6: They stopped before one hundred.
Speaker 2: Little bit, yeah, a little bit, not shaking that hand. You ran it up a little bit. Who was the coach? Was Mouse Davis there?
Speaker 6: Houston SMU was just coming off the death penalty.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's go around the room. What we learn on the program? Toddler? What'd you learn on June.
Speaker 3: Twenty third, nineteen seventy one, twenty five year old Phillies picture Rick Whi through a no hitter, hit two home runs in the same game, and you were in attendance.
Speaker 2: At Riverfront Stadium, setan would you learn. Flock around and find out. I like that T shirt's available. Are Joe Flacco's up there? I never thought we would do a Joe Flacco tribute T shirt, but it's there. Flock around and find out. Yeah, Marvin, you and RG. Three thin quarterbacks should be boring in front of the media.
Speaker 6: Paul the coach of the eighty nine Houston Cougars, Jack.
Speaker 2: Pardee, Oh, former linebacker for the then Redskins. Have a great day, everybody. Reggie Miller joins us tomorrow. Hope you join us as well.