Speaker 1: On this episode of Ticket the Draft Podcast, we have Trevor Sikima from PFF in the house. He talks all rookies and how they're going to fit in the Commander's organization. He's reevaluating his draft grade. Did he bump it up? And it was already super high? And we talked Drake May versus Jayden Daniels. Is the debate already over about who was the right pick for the Commanders and we do bold predictions.
Speaker 2: It all starts right now. Welcome into the Ticket of the Draft podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Logan Paulson here with Jessic Guy Jason, and shortly we'll have Trevor Sikima. He calls himself the lead draft analyst, but he does, like I think he said, like six or seven shows for PFF.
Speaker 2: He does a great job.
Speaker 1: Provides excellent insight on our draft class, what he saw from them in the preseason. It's incredible. His ability to recall information, watch all the NFL stuff while prepping for the twenty twenty five draft, It's incredible, man. He has great insight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you like college football, if you like rookies, if you like the draft process, leading and cleaning combine see Bowl. If you like football, you will like Trevor Sikama. He is he's so in it. Yeah, and I I wonder what he does when he goes home at night, right, Like how does he turn it off? Because that's all he does is football all the time. Like it's hard enough I think for me personally to keep up with what's going on with the Commanders plus the division plus a conference than the league. And he's like, oh, yeah, let's throw in another thousand prospects in college, right, let's do that. And he's he's so good at it.
Speaker 1: It's crazy doing an interview with him because like he's we were on a zoom, you know, and he's clicking in and out of screen so fast because he's checking all of his notes, he's checking PFF grades, he's checking like his grades on them from the previous year.
Speaker 2: Like he does a great job. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: You would think with somebody that I don't want to say spreads himself thin because he clearly has him he's able to keep.
Speaker 2: Up on it.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing you would think, like, oh, we're going to bring him on a Commander's show. This is like his fourth time. One friend of the pod now, right, But he's he's basically a co host. But you bring them on and you're like, oh, he's going to talk Commanders football, and you know how like national pundits be like they give you boiler plate answers. It not Trevor. He's in it, like he knows Dominie Campton, he knows Tyler just where it's like, yeah, you're right, as if he's been watching the practices like on the field with us. It's it's pretty crazy, but so stick around for him. But he's not the only thing and this is not the only thing, this podcast where you can get Commanders news and information. We have really ramped up the podcast basis here, yes we have and our YouTube shows. So I want everyone to know that, like this, this podcast comes out on the command Center podcast channel, right, So if you subscribe to Spotify, Apple wherever, right, you're gonna get this show on that And then we're going to release a couple other podcasts on this channel too, but eventually they're moving over to their own channels. So for insense, you like Get Loud with Jenks and Fred Smoot, they're gonna be on this channel for a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: But they're getting their own nice, their own.
Speaker 3: Things, so they can monitor their own content there they can. It's more interactive when you do it that way, right, you can respind the fans better that way. So we're moving most of our shows over, so we got get loud podcasts right.
Speaker 1: And so they so they will they will no longer be in this feed. Yeah, we'll be in their.
Speaker 2: Own again, move over eventually, so make sure be sure you go find them and subscribe if you like that.
Speaker 3: Same with Next Man Up. Next Man Up this year, Brian Coblet Junior will sit down with a current player and a legend and someone a part of the national media.
Speaker 1: And his first and his first show was Jane Daniels and and Doug Wall.
Speaker 3: His next show that comes out this week is I Believe It's.
Speaker 2: Louvu Okay Fletcher great so far.
Speaker 3: Adam Peters dude, Austin Eckler is going to be on one.
Speaker 2: Look at that?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: And guess who else? I don't know, Adam Schefter what yes? So like Mike Tarico is going to be on one. So like you want to listen to these, we've really we've really update this.
Speaker 1: So that's called Next Man Up. Next, so we got get loud, you got to go to your own get loud page, you got to go to the next man up least you check those out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the final one.
Speaker 2: Which is which is the game plan? The game plan.
Speaker 3: We're on that. So that's our show.
Speaker 2: That's a show, but we're going to.
Speaker 3: Put that in podcast form for people because not everybody can watch the show that goes on WUSA nine or YouTube or whatever. So we're going to take that, put in podcast form and put it out. But what is the game plan? Logan?
Speaker 1: The game plan is just it's it's really it's a really cool show because it's me Brian Colbert sit down with Coach and we've changed the format this year and it's just a long form interview. It's fifteen minutes of Coach talking to us, and if you're watching the show, we also break down film with Coach where he's able to kind of talk about some techniques, a little bit of scheme stuff and and Dan just does such a great job with that. So it's been great to kind of happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every week you're going to get the Coach and it's fifteen minutes with the Coach. You and the coach and Bran Coilbert Jr. And like you said, there will be film that's not going to be on the podcast that doesn't make sense, but you could catch that on YouTube. But we'll make sure that the podcast has that full conversation and then sometimes an unedited version of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when we cut for TV, we have.
Speaker 3: To make it for a cert time and sometimes these go over, so you might catch a few nuggets in there that don't make in one.
Speaker 2: What about like Booth Review? Where's that going to be?
Speaker 3: That's on Mondays? That's Bram and London. Huh, they're with you.
Speaker 1: On the side on Sundays. I'm on the sideline there indio.
Speaker 3: In the radio booth though, right, So on Mondays after the game, after every game, the two guys that called the game, Bram and London, they're going to recap it for everybody. That's Booth Review. That's another podcast toscription. Listen to all these podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's you can't get enough. You'll have a.
Speaker 3: Podcast every single day. If you're a Commander's fan, that's just Commanders Gut.
Speaker 1: And I think the cool thing about them is like sometimes, like with PFF, they do kind of a very similar show every single day and people like it because it's good. Of these are all distinct voices, distinct perspectives, diferent hosts, and different kind of narratives around the team. So that's all gonna be different. You gotta subscribe to all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta, you gotta catch it out. This is a lot of good stuff and uh, if you're a commuter, this is this is the way that, this is, this is the way to do it. Yeah, so make sure you find them on Apple and Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts. They're all out there. Okay, we got Trevor sickrama this ticket to the draft. We did a lot of pitching here, but we want people to know where this content is because we have a lot coming out. But I think it's time to get to uh yeah, I'm out of here. He uh. He really burns me pretty good on my take, right.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't a bad burn.
Speaker 3: But I gotta, you know what, I make a bold prediction that uh that Trevor is like, oh, but uh, but you know what, I think that I'm gonna hold the one to that prediction, and uh, I'm gonna box up some kool Aid some Commanders school Aid. Send it out to him and he'll be He'll get.
Speaker 1: We should cut that out and if it if it hits, you should just send it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be like take that, Trevor, all right, Yeah, So here he is.
Speaker 1: I'm logan Pulse Near with a special guest, Trevor Sikima, lead draft analyst for pff MAN. Thank you so much for joining us. Always appreciate having your expertise on the show.
Speaker 4: Okay's always good to be with you, my friend. Appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 1: So we're going to talk kind of like a draft retrospective here, I think. So let's start off with the easiest highest level. After the preseason goes through, you know, you see the rookies that made the team. How do you feel about your draft grade for Washington?
Speaker 4: It was a high draft grade. I really love this draft and I still do, right and I think that some of the players that you saw make this team and even some of the moves that you saw this teammate sort of reflect how high they are on a lot of these rookies as well. I mean you can point out, you know, them moving on from Johan Dotson, I wonder if a reason why is because they're high on what could be the potential of Luke McCaffrey and what he could potentially be in this wide receiver room, Right, I mean, do you make that move if Luke McCaffrey is playing a lot more poorly in training camp and in preseason than than what he what he ended up playing, which I thought was pretty solid for them. And so you know, you're just looking around the entire jet chart and it's obviously not a full on rookie class that you know everybody's going to start, but you either see guys who are stepping into starting positions early on or you could see past playing time for them within their rookie year. So I was pretty bullish on Washington's class overall. I still think it's a lot of players that they're going to utilize very very well. And I still feel that way now, especially after the preseason and seeing the final fifty three man roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's one of those things where it's like kind of like rebuild, retool. You know, rookies are going to play a big role in that group. And so another guy that I think is interesting is Brandon Coleman. Like, I don't know if we talked about a post rapt but where did you have him and what have you thought about I mean, he didn't play in the preseason, so I'll have to tell you what I think of his preseason. But what did you think of him in the draft process?
Speaker 4: No, I like Brandon Coleman. I really did. Now he was somebody who I thought it was. I thought it might take a little bit of time for him to be a starter at the NFL level, But when I watched him at TCU, like, I saw the starting caliber traits and this is somebody who I remember going on you know, some shows where you know, people covering the Commanders and they were saying, you know, like, oh, we wish you would have taken an offensive tackle earlier, Like fans are like, man, we really needed to take an offensive tackle a little bit earlier. And I went, you know, I know they they waited a little bit longer, but for the draft to play out the way that it did, I don't want to say they got like lucky, because I don't want to discount what a great job that they probably did in prep planning for this draft, but to have gotten the players they did earlier, Jadeen Daniels, Youreson Newton, Mike Sanders still, and then you still get Brandon Coleman where you did. That guy could be a starting offensive tackle for you at some point or just an overall starting offensive lineman for you at some point. So I think the tools are definitely there for him. I think the athleticism beside all this stuff. I really liked him, and I figured that he was going to be a mid round pick. And when Washington again was able to get him where they did, I thought to myself, Man, this getting Coleman at that point makes taking those guys that you already have in the draft even better because you didn't you didn't have. Now you don't have to sit here and go, oh, well, you know, we picked this guy, but we didn't get an offensive tackle the future. I think you still got an offensive tackle of the future, at least a guy who gives you that sort of potential. And any time you're outside of the top twenty or first round, I should say it's always sort of a coin flip or a risk anyways that these guys in the trenches are going to work out. So Coleman's a goodwin and I thought they got a really good draft value there with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an interesting guy because you know, in twenty twenty three he's playing a lot of guard and then in twenty twenty two played predominant tackle. So you're kind of like, why did you make the switch? But I think, like you said, the measurables, the athleticism, it's all there, just got to put it together. A guy that you did mention when you were kind of going through those high value picks earlier was a guy Mike Sandrastill, and he's just been tremendous in training camp, you know, playing the nickel, playing a little outside. He just has like kind of elite level intuition, which is pretty pretty fun to watch and see that kind of be executed in practice. What do you think of him and like, what is the expectation for him going to this season based on what you saw in college?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think that he's also just an elite level competitor, right, Yeah, that when you get to high level where whether it's FBS or the NFL, sometimes fans think, oh, yeah, well, all these guys are competitive. Well I think that they're all competitive, but there's certainly a difference, and when you watch a guy like Mike Sandrusso, who it feels like he is playing every rep like it's just last. I mean, that just absolutely stands out for you, and it's why you prioritize a player like that, because, let's face it, san Rusol is not the biggest guy in the world. He's lightning quick, but he's also not the fastest guy in the world. So I'm telling you there's gonna be reps that you see this season and beyond where the quarterback puts the ball just out of reach of where his hand can get to even if he's close in coverage, or you might see a super fast NFL level wide receiver break away and be able to create a little bit of separation on him. You're gonna have a couple of those reps. But you still take this guy where you did in the second round because he does so much for you when it comes to, like you said, that competitiveness, that high football IQ, that those instincts that feel for the game that he already is displaying in training camp and preseason before he's even started his rookie year in the NFL. That's why you take a player like that. In on a Michigan defense that had some dogs this past year. They talked about Mike sand Rastill as the heart and soul of that team, and I think that that absolutely means a lot for a national championship, undefeated, number one in the country type of a defense. And so you take a player like that, and you love a player like that because he's going to be fearless in every single assignment that I think that he goes up against, no matter what receivers are going to be in the slot, and playing in the slot in today's day and age is really really difficult. You've got offensive coordinators who are going to be creative enough to put tight ends there, to put wide receiver ones there, to put all sorts of receivers of different shapes and sizes in those spots. And yet sand Rastillo is going to be up for whatever challenge dan Quinn puts before him. But I think that player and coach, this to me is a match made in heaven. So I love the landing spot of san Raso getting to play in this defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think one of the things you talked about there, which I love is competitiveness, you know, And I just for me personally, Like, how do you weigh that, like when you're doing your draft evaluation, because I think one of the things about Washington is like they didn't necessarily go for the most physically gifted guys. You kind of alluded to that there with Mike SANDERSO, but you went for the guys that were just like dog competitors. You know, like when you look at you know, Jane Daniels to John Nude and Mike sandersol Benson and they all have that characteristic as an evaluator, how do you weigh that? You know? Because again that's that's like you watch the film. The film is one thing, but understanding the person seems to be so important.
Speaker 4: No, it is, It's absolutely important. And you know, it's funny. I've been going to the Combine seven years in a row. I think was this this might this past combine for me? And you sit at those podiums and you listen to head coaches and you listen to channel managers and people from the beat. I don't blame for this. They always ask them this question. They're like, oh, you know, what are you here to see? You know, it's like, oh, what are you here to evaluate? And they all say the same thing. We're trying to find out what makes these players tick. It'll be some sort of words that basically describe that we are trying to figure out who these guys are as people as much as players. We've watched the tape, We've talked to their coaches. We're going to see them run whatever. We already know what they're basically going to run because they do a lot of intel on these players. They're trying to figure out who they are as competitors. Kind of what you're saying, and that's a major part of the draft process that for somebody who's on the outside looking in. I don't always get a chance to know that about every single player. But when I am able to find that out, whether it's through sources, you know, talking to some of their coaches, you know, maybe talking to a scout, or even just some watching them and how they play, it's something that you absolutely have to know. You know, when I'm building my big board, I have a numerical value for film grade that I give them, and the film is broken up into a lot of different categories depending on position, and when I'm putting together my big board, the very first thing that I'll do is I'll take all the positions and all their numerical grade that I'm able to give them through film, and I will kind of put that in a list and I will sort it, and then I will go through it and say, Okay, I gave this guy a certain film grade. These guys have the same film grade, but I'm gonna put this guy higher because of some of those X factors, that competitive nature what we have heard, and so it's something that is a luxury whenever I get to learn a little bit apart a little bit of a player's perspective and their scouting report, when I get to kind of build it out and shape it out in that regard, and that is the thing the scouting staffs, I don't know if I want to say, spend the most time on. But it's the most underrated part of all of this is fans. Everybody loves to talk about how high a guy jumps, or how fast he runs, or how big he is. Like NFL teams, they all know that same stuff. They're trying to figure out who these guys are underneath the helmet between the ears, if you will. So that is something that when you get to learn that stuff. It could be the difference of all right, I maybe had a third round grade on this guy on film, but he is somebody I want on my football team, So maybe you'll take them a little bit ahead of that as a luxury because you just need it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting to that point.
Speaker 1: I still have a lot of friends that coach the NFL, and one of the things they say is, like, with the prevalence of PFF and the film that they're able to get and how they're able to sort the film, they don't really need the scouts as much for the film evaluation anymore. They need them for the character evaluation. And so I think it's great that you are kind of delving that too in your evaluation and trying to piece that together. Another thing, you know, we talked about Mike Sandmer still safety was a big kind of addition to this roster, and obviously they drafted Dominie Campton. Tyler Owens is another guy that kind of squeaked in there on the roster and had an absolutely marvelous preseason playing special teams. What are your thoughts on those guys, because they are kind of unique, you know, they are kind of bigger body, long, limb very I'm gonna say, dan Quinn esques type of safeties if you look at what they did in Dallas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of my favorite narratives or things to explore or watch for after the draft of any team in the NFL was what dan Quinn and the Washington Commanders were going to do with these safeties in particular, because remember it's not just Tyler Owens and Dominique Campton. This also came after you brought in Jeremy Chnn as well. So it's these hybrid players. And you look at, for example, what Jaron Curse was for the Dallas Cowboys defense, and in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, Jaron Curse had pretty dang good overall grades playing as this hybrid safety, linebacker, slot defender type of player. And dan Quinn already understands that mold. And not only did he bring in a player that could play that, like Jeremy chin, he doubled and tripled down if you will, drafting a player like Dominie Campton, who I read it made the team as a linebacker after playing safety. And you know, if you plug Dominie Campton's combine performance you know, if you could go to mock draftable and see sort of his percentiles of his athleticism when he's measured up against other NFL safeties, if you change that category to linebacker, all all of a sudden, his athleticism is movement skills goes to eightieth and ninetieth percentile and basically all athletic categories. So dan Quinn's trying to get the athletic advantage with him playing as so pseudo linebacker, with Bobby Wagner, with Frankie Luvu, with those kinds of guys. Tyler Owens is the same way a player who you know can really come downhill for it begin and ace on special teams because of his size and his speed and his strength combination, and obviously you throw that in with Jeremy Chin as well. I don't know exactly what it's going to look like, you know, I'm looking at the position pivots and the snaps of where they were aligned throughout the preseason, and it's just very versatile. Like it's a lot of the same stuff. A lot of it comes from them being box defenders. Especially for Hampton when I looked his up, they're playing him more as a linebacker, which totally makes sense. But he got guys like Chin and the guys like Owens who are playing more cider like free safeties. It's alot defenders and things like that. So it's very versatile, and I think that's something that Dan and Quinn really leaned into, is give me a lot of guys that can keep me as versatile and as multiple as possible. And I think that those are two players who I'm really excited to see Hampton specifically because I think he could be in that rotation. Owens maybe more of just a special teamer and can step up if somebody ends up getting hurt. But how they deploy those guys is something I'm really looking forward to watching this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean too.
Speaker 1: And I think it's not only you know with like Hampton and you know Owens, it's also like Kwon Martin. He can play Nickely can play safety, and so they have all this flexibility across the board. And he's a draft pick for last year obviously, but last, last, but not least, we got to save the best position for last and that's Ben Senate and he's just been a guy that's been super impressive to me through the process. Again, I lucked his film a lot, but I think the physicality that he plays with has surprised me a little bit. I knew it was a tough guy, but to see kind of what that brings. Did that show up in the evaluation for you at all when you were checking these guys.
Speaker 4: Out, Oh no, at one hundred percent? Did And you know, you look at Ben Sentet and I just kind of pulled up his measurables right here. You know, twenty eight percentile in height for a tight end, thirty ninth percent tile and wait, you know, twenty fifth percent tile when it comes to wingspan, and twenty third percent tile on arm length. Like he's just not the biggest dude in the world. Now, obviously he was able to move a little bit better. You know, his scores in forty yard dash and the vertical jump, like a lot of that was a lot higher because he's a smaller tight end. But when you turn on the tape and you go, okay, I'm probably just going to see you know, like more athletic tight end, probably going to struggle a little bit with contested catches. You don't want him on the line of scrimmage you don't really see that with his tape. I mean, he is a stick his nose in there whenever he needs to type of a player. And is he gonna, you know, blow somebody go get blow a defensive end off the ball when he's attached to the Lion scrimmage. No, but he'll give you absolutely his best that he can. And that's why they play him at full back, They'll play him in line, they play him in the slot. And so the slot value for Senate I think goes without saying what we've seen from his Kansas State film. But the reason why you draft him as early as they did in the mid rounds is because you prioritize everything that he could be for you. And again going back to what you said, maybe it's not the biggest dudes in the world. I mean, it's funny that I say it's not the biggest dudes in the world and they drafted Dominie Campton and Tyler Owens, who aren't like the biggest safeties in the world. But you know, some like Senate and Mike saying Rastill we mentioned and you know, even going to jers On Newton a little bit little undersized for a three technique defensive tackle, you don't care because you're getting the right guys in there. And I think that was just the theme overall this entire offseason for the Commanders is Hey, new ownership, new general manager, new head coach, knew everything, and they moved on from a lot of players, and they brought in a lot of players in free agency, a big draft class. They kept a lot of those guys because they're trying to change the core of this So Senate is another player who just feels like his presence is changing the core and the culture of this team for not only what they know his strengths are, but also some of those X factor parts of just being a damn good football player. So I think it's Senate it's going to get on the field quite a bit this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, So Obviously we talked about the best position. Now let's talk about the most important position, which is quarterback. Obviously, I don't know how much you've watched Jane Daniels, because I know you got to watch all thirty two teams plus like a thousand draft prospects. So, but Jane Daniels in the preseason, what have you thought of him? And how does that compare to your evaluation, I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 4: What was it was the Miami game that he played the most? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeh, look at you man. You watched all that film you can still remember it.
Speaker 4: So okay, there we go. So I was watching that Miami game and I was really impressed with Jaden and some people are gonna be like, oh, he was impressed with you know, the deep throw that he had. No beyond the deep drow. Actually, what impress me the most about Jade and Daniels is actually the sideline comeback throws that he had. I think he had a couple of them where you got to think about it. Put yourself in the shoes of a rookie quarterback number two overall. Pick you're coming in, you're saving the franchise. One of the most dangerous throws that you can throw is that comeback round because if you are late on it or if you miss it, those NFL corners they're gonna jump that immediately. They're gonna pick the ball off. And then if you pick off a comeback route, guess what, that's six. Nobody's catching you. It's gonna be a pick six. Not only is it a turnover for your team, but also you're giving the other team points immediately afterwards as well. To throw that route with pace, confidence and accuracy the way that Jaden Daniels was able to do against Miami. I went, man, I wondered if it was gonna be a little bit of a learning curve for Daniels going from college to the NFL, and how I don't want to say like friendly. His offense was at LSU, but it was very spread out, it was very spaced out. He had elite receivers, he had big time match up pluses that he could target basically on every single play. It was always just going to be different at the NFL level. But he was so confident in those throws that I went, I'm not gonna be worried abot confidence now going into the regular season. So we didn't see a ton of them obviously, but that game particular, I was even able to take away those little nuggets and say, I'm so excited to see what Jade Daniels is going to be right outside of the game.
Speaker 3: For this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so obviously, like when you're doing quarterbacks, it's one of the most like talked about positions in the draft process, the big kind of talking point was Jane Daniels versus Drake May. Drake May preseason had some really explosive opportunities, but also showed a lot of what kind of I don't know, like what characterizes film in college, like a little bit inconsistency. Where do you stand on it? Now, how do you feel both these guys are going to be doing for their respective teams?
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I think that New England's a tough situation. What. Yeah, it's going to be a tough situation for Drake May independent of the fact that he definitely has to get better. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: I stop even one second. I think that's something people forget though. It's like it's the situation for the quarterback that almost leads to success, you know what I'm saying. And like when it's a tough spot for him, it's you're not putting like the organizations out put him in in the best spot, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no question about it. And of those three teams at the very top of the draft that we're going to select quarterbacks, the Chicago Bears, the Washington Commanders, and the New England Patriots, the Patriots were by far the least quarterback friendly situation that any of those guys could have gone to. So for May, you saw some good, you saw some bad from him the preseason, but I think most importantly, I think that you did see that confidence with him. Now they're starting Jacoby Brissett and a lot of people like, oh, just throw Drake May out there. They got to get their offensive line figured out first, and I think that at least Jacoby, as a veteran, understands how to maybe protect himself a little bit better than they would behind that offensive line. Is that you're looking to get better. They will start eventually for this team, but really that offensive line's got to get a lot better. Whereas Washington, Yeah, the offensive line wasn't as good as it could have been last year, but they've made some new additions. There's some new guys in there. I think there's some optimism that it's going to be a good group. And obviously you're playing with a quarterback who knows how to get the ball out of his hands pretty quickly. It's going to be a spread out offense with Cliff Kingsbury. So I think it's yeah, I'm not Gonna. I had Drake may A's QB two going into this class. I can't sit here and say that from training camp of the preseason, I'd flip it or anything like that, but it is something that I'm excited to see these guys play in their environments because I'll tell you I had may QB two. But of the landing spots where Jade Daniels realistically could have gone, Washington was one of my favorite for the reasons of the fact that I think that they're all in on making sure that they get good playmakers over the next couple of years. Cliff Kingsbury, I think his offense naturally is a good ushering into the NFL and a transition depending on how long he's the offensive coordinator of this team. I don't think it really matters because this first year, I think it's going to be an easier transition for him because of Kingsbury's experience in college playing in a very spread out offense like Jayden played in last year at LSU. So this is a really good landing spot for him. And yeah, I think it's That's kind of how I would see these two situations, and it's just too where I'm excited to see how it plays out for both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And you know, like it's if you had to change your take after a couple preseason games, I've been like, man, like you weren't very vindicated in your in your college takes, right because there's nothing that you know, it takes sometimes years to kind of figure out who the right guys are. But you know, for Jade and Daniel specifically, this is a commander's show. Obviously, what's your expectation for him? You already alluded to kind of like situation, how you think it's good here, Like, like, what's what's what's a productive year for him in your in your estimation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, Like I think that I've seen some projections with him, you know, like throwing for over four thousand yards. Obviously, I think that that'd be an excellent season for him if he's able to do that. I think more realistic Somewhere between thirty five hundred and four thousand yards is probably more realistic for Jaden. But really, growth is what you want to see from him. I don't think that it's necessarily like, oh, if he hits a certain amount of touchdowns or something like that. It's just more of is the NFL game a little bit too much for him? And I don't think that that's going to be the case. Especially the little hints that I saw this preseason. I hope that those are building blocks going into the regular season. But really what you want to see from Jayden is and I think the Commanders are going to be a sneaky team this year. I think that they're going to win, you know, somewhere between. I think six games is a floor for this team, but I think they could win anywhere from eight to nine games, depending on how well these new players are able to adjust. But I'm a big dan Quinn believer. I think the Cowboys are going to take a little bit of a step back. So I think the number two team in this division is a lot closer than people are given a credit for with the Cowboys and the Commanders. I promise I'm not just saying.
Speaker 2: That I'm on a Commander's show.
Speaker 4: I really do. I'm a big dan Quinn guy. I've been waiting for him to get another chance as the head coach, so I'm excited for him. But going back to Jayden, as long as the second half of this season, he's playing his best ball, right think about I don't know if it's going to be quite what Jordan Love played with last year. Becauld Jordan Love turned into an elite quarterback, but Jordan Love was still trying to figure stuff out in the first half of that season, and then the second half of the season when that continue what he was there, he just just absolutely took off. So what you really want is you want a solid offensive output year for him. Again, I think anywhere from thirty five hundred to four thousand yards, especially in this offense, that would be a really good season for him, especially if you can say at the end of the season December he was starting to really play his best ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: As long as he's showing some type of consistent maturation, I think everyone's going to feel very good about where he's at. And obviously the Commander's moving forward. All right, give me your surprise rookie standout for the Commanders. Is there a guy you're like, Oh, I really liked him, people are sleeping on him, anybody like that.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about a lot of guys already, But I'm going to go back to Luke McCaffrey. I was quickly impressed with McCaffrey when I saw him at the Senior Bowl and how he was able to play another dude that's just tough as nails man. And again, I don't know, this is just a hunch. I don't have any sort of insight information here, but I don't think you move on from Johan Dotson when you do if you don't think, hey, you know what, we got guys in the building that we don't mind giving a shot too. Maybe they don't think they don't think McCaffrey is going to win, like you know, first team All Rookie or something, but at least saying, hey, we like what we've seen enough from this guy to where we're going to give him a shot. And I remember McCaffrey went into college football playing quarterback. He was a quarterback for Nebraska before he ended up transferring over to playing wide receiver when he was at Rice. And so he's already so nuanced I think for the position. Obviously, his dad being a longtime Super Bowl champion Nfler, and you know his brother Christian, Yeah, not bad football player himself, but I think that you look at McCaffrey's game, and it's already so mature that there's a reason why they think, hey, we can get this guy on the field. I think he could produce for us. So if I had like a surprising rookie, or like a bold take for a rookie, I guess I don't know how bold this is, but like five six touchdowns for Luke McCaffery. You know, let's get him in a lineup. You know, I think that he's got the opportunity to be able to do it. I look at McLaurin, he's to do it all wide super for you. I think Diami Brown is a really nice vertical threat for you old maids. The keys gives you a little bit of flash and some quickness to you. But McCaffrey as that big slot receiver I think could be a little bit of a mismatch every single week. So I'll say McCaffrey has a pretty good year.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: Our producer just guy Jason's what we call him on the show. Jason Johnson's his full name anyway, because we're not, you know, besmirching Jason over here. But anyway, he's his ball prediction is that Mike Sanders still is Defensive Rookie of the Year. And what would you say to Jason Jason's take on that.
Speaker 4: There's Unfortunately for Jason, there's a lot of really good d dressers from this class, and when you get sacks as a rookie, it's so easy to win that award. One is so tough to win that award anyways, as a defensive back, you just have to get a lot of interceptions. But in order for Sandrastille to win it, in my opinion, the PFF grades would have to be pretty high because I think people would have to recognize him as a really good run defender and sometimes those are like tough stats, like you don't really have those games. So I think that he'd have to be recognized as a really good run defender and then he'd probably have to have something like four interceptions.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 4: That's right, So it's like, so I think that he could be in the conversation. The problem is, I think layout to lotso for the Colts is probably gonna get like ten sacks, and so like, if somebody gets ten sacks as a rookie, they're gonna win the Award or you know, Dallas Turner's gonna get a lot of opportunities for the Vikings, and so I love for Mike, you Sirius to win it. It's just I don't know it. It's always very tough for a corner.
Speaker 1: It's an uphill climb for sure. Trevor, thank you so much for joining us. We always appreciate your insight. Like I would try to pub or promo all the stuff you've got going on, but I just feel like every time I talk to you, there's something new going on.
Speaker 2: So I let you handle that.
Speaker 1: You got new shows, new things are doing, So where can people find you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a new content lineup at PFF this year that we're really excited about. It starts on Mondays in the afternoon when we are doing a grades release show, and so instead of like a you know, just like okay, we're gonna it's the way that we basically review all the games that happened over this past weekend, but we do it by exclusively revealing the grades there on the show that people can tune into and watch, and so we'll reveal the grades and then we'll kind of talk about the performances and how the grades got to where they worse. So I'm excited about that one. We've got a lot of other short shows where we'll be highlighting rookies, quarterbacks, trench players, little individual shows throughout the week, and then obviously our previous shows that we do on Thursdays, we'll be doing those as well, so I'll be in for all those shows. So hopefully people don't get too sick of my face and my voice this season. But we're really excited about how we're covering the league this year.
Speaker 1: And are you still doing your draft show. I'm sure you're doing that as well.
Speaker 4: I am, yes, NFL Stockey Change is still rolling myself and Connor Rogers, So again, you know to your audience, anytime you ever want to turn the page figure out what twenty twenty five NFL Draft might have for the Washington Commanders, come hang out on the NFL Stockey Change podcast.
Speaker 1: Man's busy Man. We really appreciate making time for us, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Sure appreciate brothers anytime.