Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Ill that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo state is that woo woom.
Speaker 1: And and tie.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the solid verbal, Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand joining me over there. Technically when you're listening to this, he's on his honeymoon. But since we're recording, since we're proactive like that, Dan Rubinstein is with us once more, sir, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm going to give myself some future advice and that is great job getting married, Yeah, and good job.
Speaker 2: Great honeymoon Yeah great, wet as enjoyed it thoroughly.
Speaker 1: Oh, glad to hear it. We we just loved having you time. Thank you you and Kate. We're wonderful. Uh And right now I'm on my honeymoon and I'll just flew it up. Just keep d and keep stretching and get some sun, open the curtains and you know, realize this is you live in your best life. And congratulations. Where are you now? What country?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: What is today? Ty? Today is Thursday. We're releasing this Thursday juune, so I am in Greece. I think you can smell the feta cheese everywhere, and the grape leaves and the salty, briny ocean air. It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Tie Well, may this podcast be the Grecian formula for all that ails you and all that concerns you about college football. We will be back at some point in the next couple of weeks to talk in person again, but for the interim, you and I are pre recording a Q and A show. We've been trying to do these once a month because people always send in cool questions, and we we try to rotate the non college football theme.
Speaker 1: What did we go with today? Restaurants, restaurant etiquette, specifically, what to do in certain situations when you find yourself not knowing where to go, not restaurant wise, but once you're in the restaurant, when you have to make a life decision, what do I do? We're here to help. Great questions that came in, very very poignant questions.
Speaker 2: Here, a lot of specific ones. I love that, very good questions. We'll get into those in a little bit. Also a bunch of football questions here. Don't forget you can always email us at saliverbo at gmail dot com, or find us on Facebook or on Twitter. We did have a few questions that referenced this article, and I did want to start here before we get into our Q and A. But a really cool article that you guys over at Espionation put out here announcing I don't know if it's so much candidacy, a vision, whatever you want to call it, Bill Connolly for College Football Commissioner. Yes, it was published on May the twenty second, and he puts forth nine cool ideas for fixing college football or his vision for college football as we move forward. So a student athlete bill of rights, modernizing amateurism. What else fixing recruiting, expanding the playoff, bringing back the damn video game, and caa series, emotion and relegation. A bunch of interesting concepts and visions here that Bill puts forth. I am ready to sign my name on the dotted line to get behind this. I'm excited. Was there anything that you saw in here right that you said yes? I either love that, no, I really hate that. What was your reaction to this?
Speaker 1: So my reaction was, because by now everybody should know we love Bill c And how deeply he gets into college football. It's almost all positive. There's nothing really negative. It's just some of the things I look at as being sort of a little unrealistic. And maybe it's the scheduling thing, which I like the idea as any sports should run, like the way Bill wants college football to run, but because of the way, and I'll be specific, like he wants pods scheduling, like he always played the same three teams. He wants a bracketbuster in the middle of the season to sort of shake things up and we get sort of better matchups because of it. Everything he is positioning with his candidacy as for scheduling and as for the organization of the sport makes a lot more sense than the way it's constituted now. The only thing is when you start scheduling and you start going relegation, it chips away at the sort of the context you have for Notre Dame, or for Oregon, or for Texts A and M, or for Louisville or for usc whatever. Whereas if you're not all of a sudden playing a lot of the same teams every year, then you lose a lot of context. So it's like Arizona is not a rival of Oregon, but every year Oregon plays Arizona, I'm flooded with the context and memories that matchup. And that's what it sort of seasons it in a unique way that perhaps a more ambitious, futuristic way of scheduling and organizing the sport doesn't if you were One of the examples he used was with relegation specifically, like, you know, maybe watching a Virginia game at the end of the season wasn't all that fun for anybody, Virginia fans included, but if there was relegation on the line, so if you know, Virginia was going to have to go down and become a group of five school and not an ACC school they were playing against an FCS school or something like that. If Virginia gets relegated, that's such a huge blow to I think Virginia's bottom line, and you start to sort of inflict some wounds into the sport that might be unintended in some cases. So that's what sort of jumped out to me that in a perfect world, in a vacuum, all of this pretty much works and would make the sport more fun and higher quality. I just don't know that you can unweave a lot of the fabric that's it's in place already.
Speaker 2: If you were to start tomorrow day one new college football, you could put a lot of this stuff in. The problem now is not that these aren't good ideas. The problem is that there is obviously a contractual obligation on so many different fronts to continue the status quo.
Speaker 1: Sure, relegation promotion.
Speaker 2: By the way, for those that aren't tracking, it's a lot like they do in English soccer, or really in any soccer league where the bottom three or however many teams at the bottom of said league said conference go down to a Tier two league the following year if they don't do well enough to continue on in their present division. And in some cases, if you're in like a Tier two league and you finish in the top two, well then maybe you get to bump up and play against the big boys the next season.
Speaker 1: Sure, like Bois say, would have been like a Pac ten school, a Pac twelve school, with all the success they had by the time time they were killing everybody in the Wacken Mountain West.
Speaker 2: Or even like in North Dakota State might have progressively been able to work their way up into a top tier conference. It's an interesting concept. I like the concept. My thing with college football has always been the issue is that the football teams are tied to an academic institution. If you could somehow find a way to decouple those two, I think you'd solve a lot of problems. But we're so far into it now, and obviously the financial stakes are so high that that's never anything we could find a way to do.
Speaker 1: There's no way. I think the fact that it starts with the Student Athlete Bill of Rights to just sort of organize everything in terms of what is availed to the players playing college football, especially on a high level, makes a lot of sense because we came from a sport that was like, Okay, well the Pac ten is doing this, the ACC is doing this, the Big twelve over the Big eight or the SWC whatever. It's to be like these mini sports that just happen to be playing many conferences excuse me, or many regions that happen to be doing the same thing. Whereas now everything is so much more nationalized and it seems a lot more homogenous. With the TV deals, you know, every conference appears on one of two networks. Basically right now, so everybody has access to eyeballs. Everybody is trying to They're hiring each other's coaches. It's a lot less regional than it used to be, so centralizing the rights of the players of the labor it makes sense whether and Bill brings up the points of healthcare of you know, the right to graduate scholarships, you know, guaranteeing undergraduate scholarships, you know, safety guidelines, transfer rules that are set in place that everybody has to follow, and then the sort of Olympic style amateurism, which is what he is pitching, which basically says, and ty correct me if I'm wrong, it's that you have the right to earn based on your likeness. And I am all for this, and the you know, the obvious counter argument is, well, and you know, the schools with the most money and the boosters with the most money are only are always going to get the best players, which is how it already is. Yeah, it's just how it is already. And it would just be a way for schools to not have the burden of being creative to pay players and to let players go out and seek compensation themselves, which seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: Well, and that becomes then the foundation to actually bring back the video game. As he says here in his fourth bullet point, we'll put the link in the show description here so that if you haven't seen it, you can go out and check it out. But a lot of really good stuff here from Bill. I suspect this is something that you and I can discuss throughout the course of the entire offseason, because there is a lot of meat here. But I like the fact that he gets into scheduling, both division scheduling and non conference scheduling, and talks about how that could be an issue and it could be resolved. He also talks about the games being too long and the adverse effect that has on fans watching the game also taking part in the game. A lot of really good stuff here, But at least as of now, I support the cause for Bill c as College Football Commissioner. And the biggest point perhaps in all of this, certainly one of the most controversial points, which we will get into when we get to our Q and A here momentarily, is the topic around expanding the college football playoff. Yes, so we'll talk about that here in a little bit. In the meantime that we have two great sponsors that we do need to discuss love before we get into your questions. I've talked about Harry's before, Dan, you know I use Harry's. I tried to switch to one of those electric raisers. Didn't do it for me.
Speaker 1: You look marvelous at the wedding tie very well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I appreciate that, but I'm now a Harry's guy forevermore. I would urge people to go out there and check out what Harry's has to offer, because Father's Day is just around the corner, and you know how dads are. Dads are impossible to shop for. You know, you can only get a dad a tie so many times, or you know, a sleeve of golf balls. I don't know whatever he's into, but our friends over at Harry's they've got a special offer for you and Dad that I think everyone's going to love. Go to Harry's dot com, h A R R y s dot com, slash Solid and get five bucks off one of their shave sets, including a limited edition Father's Day set which comes with a storm gray razor handle, a chrome razor standing, foaming excuse me, shave gel, three replacement blades, and a travel cover. The travel cover, by the way, very underrated, and it's all packaged in a sleek, giftable box.
Speaker 1: Dan, I like Harris. I think Dad will too.
Speaker 2: They're all about a great shave at a fair price, and they've got one hundred percent quality guarantee so you get a full refund if you are not happy for whatever reason. It does make the perfect Father's Day gift. I'm giving them away as we speak, so I'm excited about it again. The offer is Harry's dot com slash Solid Redeem your Special Offer. Fans of the Verbal will get five dollars off one of the shave sets. Limited time only Act now Harry's dot Com slash Solid five bucks off support Harry's Support the Solid Verbal. It's so simple and last but not least, we mentioned proper cloth on last week's show, Dan, we did. It's a custom fitting dress shirt. Sometimes you buy a shirt off the rackets too tight, sleeves are too long, something's off.
Speaker 1: You gotta get it.
Speaker 2: Tails, it's it's pouchy. Yeah, you don't want that. You want to look like your best self. Finding a dress shirt can be hard, especially if you want one that fits well. Ordering a custom fitted shirt's never been easier thanks to proper Cloth. Go to propercloth dot com. You can easily create a custom shirt size in seconds. All you got to do is answer ten easy questions. It's foolproof. You don't even need the measuring tape. Dan, you turn me onto this. I went out shortly after our last show. I ordered one for myself nice, so I'm getting in on the fun as well. They have five hundred fabric styles to choose from Premium, Italion and my favorite Japanese, as well as business and casual styles. They all start at eighty five bucks per shirt. Best of all, the guarantee you perfect fit, so if you get one doesn't fit, let them know they'll remake it free of charge. They are the highest rated shirt maker on the Googles at least at last check, and I'm sure it hasn't changed in a week. Proper Cloth even GQ calls them their favorite online custom shirt maker. They are the future of shirts dands, so stop wearing shirts that don't fit, start looking your best in a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth dot com slash solid today, enter the gift code solid Solid and save twenty bucks in your first shirt.
Speaker 1: I've just decided that I want to somehow become a judge of the most comfortable shirt contest, because that's what you just made it sound like, and I have a lot of thoughts on shirts. Ty, I'm ready to go. Let's do it. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail on the solid verbal dan as often as we can.
Speaker 2: And now once a month in the off season here as we've got ye that's college football to talk about. We do our best to pay homage to those of you who write in soliverble at gmail dot com, to those of you who tweet us, who send us comments on the facebooks and beyond. We talk a little bit about college football. We talk a little bit tonight about restaurant etiquette. But let's start on the college football side, and let's first go to Augusto HMM. To dovetail nicely with our previous discussion about Bill Connolly's proposals his vision to try and modernize college football. Augusta writes in and says that an eight team playoff would radically change college football for the worst. Similar to college basketball, the season would not be as important and games would lose some sense of urgency, It will allow one or more two loss teams to get in, and this past year, as an example, might have allowed for a three loss team to get into the playoff. If two or three losses gets in, urgency of regular season is effectively gone. That's from Augusto not so much a question. This is a generally held viewpoint for a lot of people. Yeah, Ty, do you agree with this line of thinking that eight dilutes the interests in a college football postseason because it is too many teams? I would argue that eight out of whatever one hundred and thirty is different than sixty four out of three hundred, which are sixty eight out of three hundred. The percentages are sort of different in college basketball. But do you agree with this line of thinking that the the season would take on less importance with a bigger playoff. I don't think it diminishes the significance of those games down the stretch or at any point in the season. If now we've got eight instead of four, I just don't buy it. It's not college basketball. As you said, we're not picking sixty eight. We're still only picking eight, and so the stakes are still pretty high. Unless you're like you know, the number one team, maybe you go out and get blown out. All of a sudden, your candidacy to be part of that expanded playoff is somewhat in question. You're still playing for things that matter. The degrees might be a little bit off compared to what we're used to now in a four team playoffs. So no, I've never really bought into the whole urgency thing.
Speaker 1: So the thing that stands out to me about this argument is on the surface, it seems reasonable, but you think about the context of actual college football seasons and what teams go through, and sometimes you get and by sometimes I mean it feels like every year you get a team like twenty sixteen USC. They come out the gates, they look completely overmatched, but then they switch quarterbacks up, they get into a rhythm, and all of a sudden, by the end of the season, they've won the Rose Bowl, they have a presumptive number one overall NFL draft pick. And the idea is teams can greatly improve and we're adding I think, let's if we go from a four team playoff to an eight team playoff or adding I believe four games. Is that correct? Four total games in the playoff sure, so four more football games. I think it's okay to make peace with the fact that college football is a TV show. We all sort of like the fact that we can watch whatever college football game we'd like with minimal efforts, and that's because of TV availability and TV money, and it means more good matchups at the end of the year. Twenty sixteen didn't feel like we had a lot of good matchups throughout the year for whatever reason. It was just one of those years. But this basically guarantees a matchup like, I don't know, Penn State playing against Let's see, you had Michigan and Penn State being like, you know, five and six last year, right, so you have you have Penn State against Alabama, or you Penn State against Clemson, you have Michigan against Oklahoma, whatever the case may be. You get more good football at the end of the year with teams that, even if they don't at the end of the year have that clear argument that they deserve to be in the national championship conversation, you're still getting a top tier level of additional games and entertainment. So I can't look down at eight games as being like a deathknell for the sport that only has twelve regular season games annually to begin with, that's all we get twelve regular season games. So it's such a low number that I think people are going to stick with the sports until maybe it goes to sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixteen I think would be an interesting argument. When you get to sixteen, maybe then maybe then this argument.
Speaker 1: Holds a little bit more water. But at eight, eight I think is big enough. Even six. NFL's got twelve of what thirty two? Yeah, that's a chunk. People still watch games if he gets to six.
Speaker 2: If you get to eight, you can effectively if you want to solve the issue about Power five conference champions not getting into the playoff. Yeah, and I think from my standpoint that that might be the most important argument for it. Let's make sure that we have the best from each conference represented in the National Championship playoff, whatever system that is. So, next question, Next question, Alan, has the national backlash against Lamar Jackson been so intense that he has become underrated? Oh my gosh, Okay, is there a backlash against Lamar Jackson that I was.
Speaker 1: Not aware of. I don't know that it's backlash as much as it is him flying under the radar because of his maybe the last third of twenty sixteen where he did struggle and the way he finished the bowl game wasn't great. He struggled, but also he had a particularly bad offensive line in front of him. You know, they lose something like thirty to nine, twenty nine to nine to LSU in the ballgame. They lose their final three games. You know, the Houston game was sort of everybody watch, you know, the Houston defense against Lamar Jackson, and that was sort of a mess for him as well. I would say he is too far underneath the radar for somebody who looked like a Heisman winner the first half of the season with how he played against Florida State and Clemson, and I would say he is. He is poised to have another big year. They have have the schedule in front of me, Ty, They have North Carolina and Clemson two of the first three weeks of the season, so he will be able to make a statement early on. Is if he is too far beneath.
Speaker 2: The radar, still only a sophomore last season, you got to give him a little bit of a chance to grow on top of that, though he did sputter down the stretch, still put up incredible numbers, thirty five hundred yards passing. I think I saw that if he were a running back, just in terms of pure yardage, he would have been tenth overall, had something like fifteen hunds seventy some odd rushing yards, So really a versatile player out there. I think backlash is too strong a word, but I agree to the extent that all I'm hearing so far this young offseason is Sam Darnold. I'm hearing a lot about Josh Rosen coming back. I'm hearing a lot about what Jared Stidham can do, what Shane Burschelle can do. Sure, what Jake Browning is going to do in another year in the Chris Peterson system, JT.
Speaker 1: Barrett and Kevin Wilson system.
Speaker 2: What's going to happen at Clemson, what will happen with DeAndre Francois taking another step forward at FSU, Brandon Wimbush at Notre Dame. Strangely, it seems like all of those are bigger stories than what Lamar Jackson's going to do. By the way, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, what he is going to do now in another year at Lousville. So to that degree, I would I would certainly agree with you. Alan backlash going a little bit too far from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, t I've I've heard multiple times in multiple Wheel of Fortune studio audiences it's just Wimbush, whim Bush. Can't get enough Wimbush iron man football? Yes? Is this a person or an entity who knows? Maybe both? Tye?
Speaker 2: Oregon love the two point conversion slash swinging gate under Mark Helfrich and fans cringed. If Notre Dame on side kicked every kickoff, would Tie have a meltdown?
Speaker 1: Would Dan laugh?
Speaker 2: So this is this is kind of a discombobulated question here. Yeah, he's drawing reference to the fact that Oregon liked to do their little swinging gate thing under Mark helfrinch right, and he's effectively asking, if Notre Dame on side kicked every kickoff, would Tie have a melt I you know, I probably not initially because as you and you talk yourself into it, I would talk myself in there. There's a lot of mad scientists in me. Sure I would probably find some data point to help back up the consistent on side kick for a while for a while when things went south, then I'd have the meltdown. I have to believe you would be your normal, passive, aggressive self throughout the entire process. Is that accurate?
Speaker 1: It is? But I do have like an asterisk, I have a caveat okay, and that is if Notre Dame decided to do what I don't remember the name of the high school in Arkansas and never punt and have that be their thing, like Notre it's Chip Long the new offensive coordinator. Yes, from Memphis. So if you were just saying, you know what, this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna give everybody more reps. We're going to play at least four downs on every single drive. And that's just the way it's gonna be. It doesn't matter unless we're backed up like inside the five or something like that. We're gonna give ourselves twenty five percent more plays to play with theoretically, and we're gonna see what happens. I would probably secretly and maybe even overtly on this show kind of be happy about it. Wow. Yeah, all right. If the mathematical scales were tipped in favor of Notre Dame intentionally, be like you know what, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Josh writes in most disrespectful head coach when it comes to on field tactics, I don't mean dirty, I mean like gonna embarrass you in multiple ways. Good question here, So that kind of circumstance, that kind of coach that wouldn't be afraid to hang eighty on you. The first one that comes to mind is Brett Beelam, because I know he's done it. Yeah, is there anyone else that comes to mind for you?
Speaker 1: Off the top of your head? Harbaugh a little bit, even though he would he puts in his backups. There's an element of just squeezing the life out of somebody that I can't help but admire. Chip Kelly did it at Oregon for all Wick Kelly. I was gonna say, chip Kelly did it. Urban Meyer has done it. Urban Meyer has. I mean you look about look back at at Jim Harbaugh against Pete Carroll. What's your doing? So it's it's been proven in multiple places. Urban Meyer to a lesser extent, but certainly, you know, you don't get to where he is without having that that sort of murdering mentality. I think Tom Herman has it to a certain degree with the trick plays and the tempo. And I'm trying to think who else you know, Brett Beelum is the great example. I think Bobby Petrino. I like the Paul Johnson that's that's the paper clips thing that he is disrespectful in the best way. Yeah right, I like that when when Georgia Tech teams are humming even Navy, that's disrespectful to what they what they do to teams when they just can't quite figure out that flex boone whatever it is they're running. It's great. I love a good sort of not petty, but just driving the point home option coach. That's pure college football.
Speaker 2: Bliss all right, very quickly, Jared writes in, with the addition of Thomas Tyner, Yeah, does Oregon State have the best backfield in Pac twelve?
Speaker 1: So? Thomas Tyner, five star, former five star recruit running back ran for a million yards in high school from Portland, went to the University of Oregon, was on the team that appeared in the National Championship Game in twenty fourteen. I think started in twenty thirteen. Took a medical retirement because of nagging injuries. Has decided to come back and play for Oregon State, who also has Ryan Knall, who was really good down the stretch for the Beaves. I still don't think it's the case that they have the best duo backfield because of the unknown quantity of Thomas Tyner and if he'll be in shape and if he'll be that same killer instinct. I think what's in Seattle is pretty impressive, what's in Eugene is incredibly impressive. And I am optimistic about USC's backfield as well. So I think those schools are ahead right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, And finally on the football front, Yes, as we fade now into some less serious topics. We got this email a couple of weeks ago, about four weeks ago, and the second I saw it, I knew it was something we had to do. Okay, This one is from Mike tian Dan. I've been listening to your show since early two thousand and nine. I tell everyone I can about the show. I even finally bought a shirt. He says, I've always loved the popa shot style football arcade games, but whenever I look to buy one, they were always over one thousand dollars. So I decided to spend two thousand dollars and two hundred man hours to build my own. My game is complete with field goals, punts, interceptions, sudden death, overtime, and one and two player game modes. This is a man after my own heart.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Now for the reason I'm writing in, I was wondering if you guys would like the honor of doing an intro when our game starts up. Wow, fifteen to thirty seconds of pregame audio, you have complete and total freedom to say whatever you want, just know Ohio State stuff.
Speaker 1: As I am a Michigan fan. So Dan, Yeah, I'm taking this all in. So we get to be the voices, the introductory voices.
Speaker 2: We get to be the introductory voices, and I think we should we should do something on the fly, because that's what you and I do best. Okay, So I'm thinking, since he's a Michigan fan, we need to welcome people to Michigan Stadium m HM, and then we need to find some way to call out former Michigan stars, and we need to do it in the cheesiest possible way, because this is, after all, an arcade game and those are typically cheesy introsu So I'm thinking something the effect of like, welcome back to Michigan Stadium. Oh, Manningham, do we have a game for you here today? Oh no, that's where you're going with this, just something very cheesy.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right. So first of all, if he can edit this audio, then he can play around with whatever we're about to say, space it around. So welcome. I'm glad I got to be the first voice.
Speaker 2: Ty I was going to say, you need to do the serious XM voice that people know and love, maybe the John U.
Speaker 1: Bacon voice, because he's a No, I can't do that to his game. He's spent too much time on this game. So if I'm going to do the radio voice to be like ladies, a gentleman, welcome to this arcade unit. This is Tan, this is danon' tye, and we are excited for you to compete.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Michigan Stadium, Oh Manningham, do we have a game for you here today? What in the name of Tim Biakabatuca will happen? Is anyone's guess is the next Brady Greasy or Gerbach on the field today?
Speaker 1: It's time to find out? That was really good. Thank you. I just made that up to fly, Yeah, scribbling things down on a pad? Here?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: How about this one? Ryan Mallett's not going to be transferring away from this fun? Does that work? This is the game that Braylan Edwards won't drop the ball in. I'm trying to do like a half NBA jam. I don't know where I'm really going with the voice. We could really have fun with this. We can go is that Elvis Gerbak? Nobody knows?
Speaker 2: All right, Mike, tell us what you can do with that. Let us know if you want us to try again. We need to talk about restaurant etiquette here, all right, what do you have? You're the restaurant tour? Why don't you tell me where you want to go here?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure you know what restaurant tour means, but let's start with Okay, So this question I asked around the office and it got the most responses. Okay, So this one is about double dipping. Okay, Oh good one. So this comes to us from brother mazone. Shout out to the wire. Double dipping with significant others? Only? If not, how close do you have to be? Family? Very good friends? Don't care. I will extend this to just in general, tie, what is your stance on double dick at dipping? And if it is a positive did I say double dicking? And if it is a positive pro stance? What is your strategy? What is yourthos when it comes to double dipping across all food sizes and types.
Speaker 2: If you're with people you don't know, you can't do it at all. You can't do it, no, no matter the size of food. No, no, no, no, I'm not not a double dipping fan when you're with people that you don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, So if you're with if you're with let's say you're with my family out in California and we order kso dip, I wouldn't do it. I would not do it. No, you wouldn't. What about flipping a corner.
Speaker 2: That hey, this is this is where I was going to get into the strategy of the double dip?
Speaker 1: Right, But like, if you're you're not, so you're saving your flipping for close ones. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be remembered as the double dipper if I'm with people that can't disavow me entirely. Right, So, if I'm with your family, perhaps you know at some gathering say a wedding, if I'm with other friends that that I don't see as often, No, I'm never gonna I'm never gonna make that. I'm never going to take that risk and potentially be labeled as a double dipper. Have people think that was raised by wolves. What I would say is, if I'm with family, that's when I think you go modified double dip. You never dip the end of the chip back in that you bit off, of course not. You got to flip it around to a one eighty and then flip that back half of the chip. In that case, I've done that multiple times, and I would advise it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a solid maneuver. I will echo our pal Ryan Nanny, and his counter to this was, so, why would you not double dip a chip in the first place? What is it about? What are you worried about, you know, putting into the universe by double dipping and you.
Speaker 2: Know some some germ sure related, uh, you know, some some spittle whatever, yeah, some something something germ related.
Speaker 1: On a surface as small as a tortilla chip, are you not worried that as you bite into one side of the tortilla chip that you're not going to get things on the other side of said tortilla chip, not even an inch further down the down the way.
Speaker 2: Well, the counter argument, if you really want to make one, is that you're holding the opposite end of the chip with your bare hands. Exactly your hands are there when you're dipping it into the salsa or exactly right whatever dip. So yeah, I understand where he's coming from, and he's not wrong to make that argument, but the optics of biting off one end of the chip and then sticking it back into the communal dip pool is not something that I generally want to be caught doing.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Ty, I live in New York. I live in New York City. I live in a communal pool. This is true, very true. So at a certain point we're all just sort of in it together and let's all dip our mazzarella sticks into this communal marinera like. That's just how it's working. And if you're I think you also have to judge who you're around, if you're around people that you generally generally regard as being hygienic enough, I'm okay with the flip marinera on take a bite with you're Mazzarella with marinera flip and just go at it again. Okay, I think it's okay. Where are we going next?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Next, let's go to Oh. We have a lot of people asking about waiting for food to arrive. Steven wants to know if the orders come out at different times. Do you wait for everybody's food to get there or do you just start digging in?
Speaker 2: I think you wait unless the person or persons who are waiting for their meals give you consent to just go about and meet your meal.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't wait for me, just go ahead and right. That makes understood the waiting. That makes it okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just one of those like social norms that we're that we're kind of programmed to follow. I haven't fully understood it for a long time, but I do abide by it, right.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's rare that somebody else orders food, doesn't get the food, and it just never shows up. It's generally there than a minute or two. We're there to eat. We all understand that we've gone to this restaurant to eat, and you put a club sandwich in front of me, and you asked me to wait it's it's tricky. The club sandwich, I guess, is a bad example. You put in front of me some fajidas, like I am going to consume these fajitas while warm. I'm not waiting for your club salad like. That's just not acceptable. I will always say when I don't receive my food, of course eat, and I'll say that as soon as the plates go down. I don't wait to see for that minute or two to see if my food will come before saying that. Upon plates going down, I make it clear that I want everybody to eat, because I believe in the golden rule tie do unto others is other to others do unto you.
Speaker 2: I also think the cheaper the meal, the less time you're required to wait. So if you're going to like Chick fil A with friends and you happen to order first and find a seat, I think it's fine if you decide to just dig into your spicy chicken sandwich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're absolutely right. I've got a corollary question, though, for an actual restaurant, because from Ryan, Yes, if your waiter forgot to put in your and then lied about why it was taking so long, what's the correct level of anger. Ooh, so this happened to me like three weeks ago at a restaurant. I ordered pizza, and pizza cooks pretty quickly. Sure. I was with the solid fiance and a friend of hers. I think her friend ordered a piece of fish and the solid fiance ordered like roast chicken. Okay, So in back of my head, I'm thinking there's no way my pizza's coming out in a sort of untimely fashion. Pizza took like twenty I kept getting apologies from the waitress. It took twenty twenty five minutes longer, wow, And I got some excuse like, oh, well, it's from a separate area of the kitchen, and sometimes it's always not great communicating. Like I'm looking at it like I've worked in a restaurant. I know exactly what happened, like my ticket fell or the somehow the order got misplaced, because it doesn't take that long to make pizza. When the pizza came out, it was scalding tie. It was right out of the oven. It wasn't sitting around at all. So I didn't say anything at that point to the waitress. I just kind of wanted to, like I was hungry. My pizza finally came. I ate it. But I saw our friend Peter Schrager in that restaurant, okay, and he tweeted at me that he saw me. That's how good of friends we are, right, you guys are very close. We only very close hit each other. Yeah. But I was talking about the pizza and I posted a picture of the pizza, and the restaurant saw the tweets, and I had said something about like pizza was amazing, but the service was not great. And the place saw it and they were like, let me know the next time you come in, we'll take care of you. Wow. So that's how I dealt with it after the fact, and on social media like a grown up, Okay, what would you do if like, very clearly your order of you know, your your stickup wuave is clearly I could never say that word stick up wave is clearly being cooked at the same rate as everybody else's order, but like it just doesn't show up for ten, fifteen, seventeen minutes.
Speaker 2: I guess to further illustrate my beta male identity on this show, I'd probably just I probably just waited out do a lot of eye rolls and inadvertently do my part to make the whole table feel sorry for me. It depends who you're with, though, right, I don't really it depends who you're with. I also don't really have an angry streak. You know. Maybe it's different if you've got kids. Neither one of us has kids, right, And obviously that ups the ante and makes the situation a little bit more stressful. But I'm not usually an angry person in general. Sarcastic, cocky, passive, aggressive, I can do that, but I would never truly get angry if I just had to wait a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: But what's a little bit, I'd probably just order another drink, to be honest with you, See, I think at a certain point, and it's tough because everybody in the back of their head is thinking, are they going to spit my meal? Which I don't. Having worked in restaurants and knowing a lot of people who work in restaurants, I don't think that's the case. I think that's just sort of a fallacy. Maybe fast food, maybe that's a situation, But in a normal restaurant, I don't see that as happening. But let's say you and Kate are out at a standard issue you know, American place. You each order burgers. You know, Kate gets a turkey burger and you get like a salmon burger. You get a cheeseburger, you get a bacon cheeseburger. So you expect them to be you know, cooked at the same rate. Ish, you know, maybe yours takes a minute longer because you got baked and whatever it is. If your burger is coming, Let's say waiter comes over ten minutes after Kate's burger arrives, and it's like, hey, it's just gonna be one, just me another second, Sorry, we got backed up. You might be like, man, ten minutes is a long time, but will you probably let it go fifteen to twenty minutes? Yeah, fifteen, once I get to ten, I'm definitely following up with the But at what point? Yeah, so what is your follow up? Is your follow up something like, listen, hey, getting my ber. You didn't forget about me, did you? But okay, so at what point are you being assertive? At what point are you saying, listen, it's been twenty five minutes. This isn't this isn't okay. If Kate's finished her meal and I'm still waiting for mine. In that case, will you say it's unacceptable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely unacceptable. But also, being a server in a restaurant is not always the easiest work, right, all right, So I'm respectful of the fact that those folks got a lot going on, trying to manage a bunch of different things. And I also don't want to be that guy in the restaurant who's a jerk. But if she's finished, then I think it's time to be a little bit more assertive.
Speaker 1: Are you a jerk? Though? If your food hasn't come twenty minutes after even if she's just sort of finishing up and she's not, No, you're not a job You're not a jerk.
Speaker 2: But again, I'm just trying to do my best to avoid conflict wherever possible.
Speaker 1: But is it conflict? That's my question. It feels like conflict because if the waiter doesn't bring you your meal within twenty minutes of your dining partner when she gets her meals, that point, it's not the waiter having a tough job. It's the waiter being bad at his job. I agree, all right, where are we going next? We got a bunch of other stuff here. I have a lot of thoughts on that you do. You're very thoughtful. Okay. Is it necessary? I like this because this is the flip side of the coin we just talked about unacceptable waiting? Is it necessary? This comes to us from diego to apologize to a server when a member of the party acts like an a hole, for example, snapping fingers, overly demanding. Is it necessary to apologize on behalf of somebody who is obviously clearly fine with their own terrible behavior. I think so? How do you pull off that maneuver?
Speaker 2: Maybe not, maybe not overtly, but yeah, if you have the opportunity to pull the server aside and say, hey, I'm sorry about you know, uncle Bob down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like there's nothing that people agree on more than the discomfort everybody feels when one person is just so awful to somebody serving them food. Yeah, right, that it's it's the worst thing to be around, snapping like heyhn oh, it's awful, It's the worst. I agree, I agree. Should you tip takeout ty? No? Okay, explain your stance. I've looked this up on the internet. Is it absolute for you? No, it's not absolute. Okay.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's more a frame of mind, a state of being, to be perfectly honest with you. But case in point, there is a great Asian restaurant right down the street that the solid wife and I have ordered from quite frequently. Drive down there all the time, pick up something on a Friday night. It's a good meal. I've had to look up multiple times on Google, multiple times what the standard protocol is for doing takeout. The Internet seems to suggest, and I've looked it up multiple times because I didn't believe them the first like eight that I read it. The Internet would seem to suggest that it's okay to go in, to pay the cost, to not tip, and to leave. That would not be my normal impulse. But the Internet says it, so it must be true. Therefore, of course I do my best to avoid tip unless I'm feeling rather generous when I go to any takeout place, I believe that is accepted behavior.
Speaker 1: I think that's okay. I think that's a fine way to live. My only caveat is so I worked in take out, like at a barbecue restaurant. I was in charge of takeouts, you know, getting the orders together, sending delivery guys off with their orders to deliver. And I would say with that experience, when I've been at restaurants that have been like very very busy, where it's hectic, the phone's ringing, people are you know, waiting for their orders, and I get to the restaurant and they're still kind and just thoughtful, that's a good first step. And if it's something like, hey, we're swamped, it'll be like three minutes, It'll be like five minutes. Is that cool? Like obviously I don't have a choice in the matter, but like you know, giving you the heads up like sure, fine, and then they give you the food and it's something like, hey, I tossed in a couple extra garlic rolls. Thanks for being so patient. They're doing you a solid. Then yeah. Also, if you have like a personal relationship, like you see, you know, regular type of person, like you're going to this place once or twice a week, and you know, you joke around with the personal they're waiting, there's a baseball game on, you crack a couple jokes together something like that. I'll throw you a dollar or two just because it's not making a huge difference, but it's an acknowledgment of like, thanks for doing your job so well. I will do that, but with any normalcy, I generally tend not to but ty if it's a complex order and it's so complex that I feel better about ordering in a strange, inconvenient way that I'm actually going to check the order while I'm at the restaurant to make sure they got it right. And you'll do the tip and they got it right, like, you know what, thank you for being so attentive you throwing a tip? All right?
Speaker 2: Well, kind of on the heels of that question, Alec writes in he says, what are the acceptable circumstances for not leaving a tip?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll.
Speaker 2: Kind of expand this out here because we got a couple other tipping questions, but not leaving a tip, deciding how much tip to leave? What are the factors that you consider?
Speaker 1: How the server was just as a human talking to you, you know, paying attention. If it takes forever for them to even come over to your table, if it takes forever for you to like, if all these things had up, it takes forever them come over and acknowledge you. It takes forever to come get your drink order, takes forever to bring your drinks, takes forever to take your actual food order, takes forever for the food to come out. You know, no apologies, no explanation. You know, sometimes there's just like one server for forty tables, and it's just a mess. When there's no explanation, when they're dismissive, when they try to upsell everybody, and just when they waste your time. I won't say that I won't tip them outright, but it's it's probably not going to be a great move from my wallet to yours.
Speaker 2: I've never not left a tip because I don't think i've done that either.
Speaker 1: I recognize that it's a chaotic job.
Speaker 2: It's a hard job. I've never worked in a restaurant, but everyone knows someone who has. It's not an easy job. There's a lot going on. So I respect that the floor for me is ten percent. The absolute floor for me is ten percent, and that is someone who is not attentive, screws up the order, isn't nice. All of those factors could contribute to a ten percent tip generally, though, twenty percent's the average, and if someone's really nice, we'll we'll move it up a little bit, throw them a few extra bucks if it's someone who's really just enhancing the dining experience.
Speaker 1: Ty. This comes to us from Josh, Is it ever okay for two people on a date to sit next to each other on the same side of the table? Good question. I'm not talking about a dinner date with another couple. This is just two people who choose to sit next to each other, like at a table for four, or like you know, a table that's meant for two sitting across from each other. But then they go to the same small side of the table and leave two vacant seats across from them. Wow, that's from Josh. I've everybody has seen this. Yeah, I assume have you done this? And how do you feel about it when you see it? You know? I have done it? Okay? And the primary reason I've done it under the table stuff. No, okay.
Speaker 2: The primary reason I've done it is because some restaurants are very loud, and if you're in a situation where you'd like to have a conversation but the restaurant's too loud, then it behooves you to sit on the same side. Never for any like romantic purposes anything like that, right, purely for the sake of having a conversation. I feel like I've been programmed from such an early age to sit on the opposite side to balance out.
Speaker 1: The table eye contact. Man. Yeah, it just it just feels awkward to me to be on the same side like that. What about sharing a corner, Sharing your corner I think is a little different. Sure, it's a little different.
Speaker 2: And if you're at a square table, you know, to be on adjacent sides of the square I think is fine. Yeah, but in the bench scenario, that to me is just it's just different. It's beyond the norm. I know some people swear, but I'm just not into that thing.
Speaker 1: Here's where I would say it's acceptable. One under the table stuff aforementioned. Okay, you know, who am I to judge? Who am I to judge? Number two? If you are someplace that has a view for one person but not a view for somebody else. If you're on an outdoor patio that's overlooking.
Speaker 2: The cliffs in the Pacific Ocean, Yeah, why do I have to sit with my back to this beautiful view?
Speaker 1: I think you find a way. It doesn't have to be both of you facing it exactly, but you angle a little bit on the same side. I think that's totally defensible. Three. I would say if you are in a situation where the people watching is pretty like I was in Paris last year with the solid fiance, and a lot of the tables are actually like those are how the chairs are positioned. There's small tables built for two. But you're on a side sidewalk cafe, you're eating like cheese, you're drinking wine, whatever it is, and you get to look at Paris together. That's unique for me. I don't know if it's unique for you, but that is a unique experience for me, and I felt totally comfortable sitting on the same side at the table and chillin' on a Parisian street. So I think it is acceptable for any of those reasons, but most notably under the tables. Yeah, okay, fair enough. Let's do two more. Okay, I'm trying to see what is your personal tip percentage scale based on server slash. What's the least you've ever tipped? We went over the second part, but Tyd, what is your personal and this is very personal, it is extremely personal. What is your tipping scale? Will you go over twenty, will you go under fifteen? If it's not abysmal.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I generally go twenty. Twenty is usually the starting point. Ten is the floor.
Speaker 1: I have been known to sometimes go above twenty, but only what are the circumstances? Yeah, are the What does exceptional means to you? Server has to have a sense of humor?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going it comes over who again enhances the dining experience overly eager to serve?
Speaker 1: Sure, and if they've got jokes, then I think the jokes are worth a couple extra bucks. It's usually a joke thing for me.
Speaker 2: Or if they go above and beyond, if they throw in something extra, then I'll go above twenty.
Speaker 1: I'm really easy, tie, I generally go around bed twenty. But if a service, I'm a big sauce guy, as you know, right, So if I order a club sandwich with the side of barbecue sauce. So if I art o a burger and I want a side of like thousand Islands to at my frizen because that's delicious, and they bring me two sides, like, hey, you made a point of saying you like, you know, a side of barbecue. So I brought you a couple of them, like, oh, I'm so easy to melt like that tie extra sauce will do it for me every time. Jokes are fine, personality is great, really good recommendations. If you don't know what to order and they're like, no, get the get the crispy duck, and it's outstanding that, that's when I might go over.
Speaker 2: I will also add one other scenario here, and this works one hundred percent of the time on me. Yeah, any instance in which it seems like I'm sticking it to the man, like oh, hey, somebody ordered this drink but they left. You wouldn't be interested in it for free?
Speaker 1: Would you? Absolutely? Oh something with it?
Speaker 2: We accidentally made this extra order of fries. Would you be interested? Absolutely? Of course, any And it works even if they're lying. It works on me one hundred percent of the time. If I feel like I'm sticking it to the.
Speaker 1: Man, you bring me a free dessert. Hey, this one's on the house. Oh yeah, place, I'll make up for that in the tip. Absolutely one hundred percent. All right, let's close out with the hypothetical tie. We haven't done one in a while, and it's sort of related. Sure do we have the sound or do you want me to make it myself. I'd like to hear you make it. That was beautiful. Okay, that was pretty good. Okay. We came up with this stay in the office. It's related to food, it's related to physique tie. Would you rather be your fully maximized physical self sounds dirtier than intended? Would you rather be jacked to the level that you would ideally like to be jacked? Two? So strength, you know, six pack, eight pack, you've got, you know, big muscles, lean muscles, whatever, your tan. You know you look exactly physically like you believe you are maxed out. Okay, And no matter what you eat, you will not change physically. You want pizza every night for the rest of your life. You are still going to look like that tie, that ideal tie. But on the inside it will still do you a little. It'll still rather at your body. It will still your cholesterol, your blood pressure, sodium levels, your arteries, whatever. So you've got to balance the fact that you know you're not going to get fat and you're look like your ideal self with the fact that you are still going to do damage to the inside. Okay, or you are forever going to be as you are, and you won't have extreme fluctuations. You'll probably be you know, you can gain or lose to five pounds whatever something like that, but you're never gonna be your fully realized self. You're never gonna be jacked, You're never gonna be ripped, You're never gonna be yoked. You're gonna be as tan as you want. And you can't eat whatever you want without gaining weight. But you can eat whatever you want and it will do no damage to you on the inside. So you can eat as much pizza as you need, many burritos, as much queso, and your blood pressure remains the same. You're not gonna get all that fat. You're gain a little bit of weight, but nothing extreme. Given your extreme diet, everything will stay the same on the inside.
Speaker 2: See, I'm inclined to say that I'd prefer the fully physically maximized version of myself of.
Speaker 1: Live hot, die young.
Speaker 2: Whatever I eat now affects the inside of my body. I might not be my fully realized self, but I'm used to that situation where you kind of have to figure out, Okay.
Speaker 1: Is this good for me? Is this not good for me? Sure?
Speaker 2: So it's sort of like everyday life right now, with the exception of I don't have.
Speaker 1: To go to the gym nearly's often. So you'd rather be jacked than have nutritional freedom, I think so, because I don't have nutritional freedom. Now, well, you would have nutritional freedom if you look like what you look like, you can need whatever you want and it's fine. H I think I'm used to where I'm at. Now, let's take the fully maximized version of myself and let's just deal with it as best we can. I think I'm taking number two. Yeah, I think I'm taking option number two because there are just there's so many meals that I have are like, well, see, you would be a good person for number two, right, I'm kntent eating like a bird every day, the same thing day and day out. I don't necessarily need the variety and the level of sophistication in the palette that you seem to Salads are just such bummers. Tie, I'm a Sally guy. I like that. I know. I'm okay with it. It's rough you went every day. I think I'm going number two, okay, And that's a weird thing to say out.
Speaker 2: Arry weird thing to close out the show with. Think I'm going number two? Fair enough, there it is, I stand by it. On that note, yeah, don't forget to check out our good friends over at proper Cloth. Something's always off when you try to get a dress shirt. Luckily, now, ordering a custom fit shirt has never been easier thanks to proper Cloth. They guarantee you perfect fit, meaning that if somehow your shirt doesn't fit, they will acquit.
Speaker 1: They'll make it for free. Good job. Stop wearing shirts that don't fit.
Speaker 2: Propercloth dot com slash Solid gift code Solid save twenty bucks on your first shirt, Dan Rubinstein, So I got enjoy the rest of.
Speaker 1: Your week wherever you.
Speaker 2: Are, ah Man the Grecian Aiir, the rest of your trip for that go there and Rubinstein in parts unknown for myself, Tie hilden Brandt here and good old us of a catch you next week in the Solid there once they solid peace. H