Speaker 1: Welcome to zero I am Akshatrati. This week inside Reforms, climate plans, British politics is in a state of upheaval. The incumbent Labour Party is unpopular and the Conservative Party, which for the past one hundred years has been its major opponent, isn't doing much better. The most popular party right now is Reform UK, a party of right being populists formed by many of the same people who successfully campaigned for Britain to leave the European Union in twenty sixteen. In local elections earlier this month, Reform won the most seats. As a result of the fate of Prime Minister Tearstarmer hangs in the balance, with many expecting leadership challenges from within the Labor Party. While the next scheduled national election is not until twenty twenty nine, it could come much sooner. If Reform does end up running Britain, it would be the first time in the modern era that the country's government explicitly opposes policies to limit climate change. Since the late nineteen eighties, when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister, the UK has been a supporter of climate policy and often one of the countries pushing for more ambitious actions to reduce emissions. By contrast, reforms policies would see the UK and all subsidies for renewable energy, encourage drilling for more oil and gas in the Nazi, ban battery energy storage, end net zero targets, and encourage fracking on British soil. So it's time to look at their climate and energy plans.
Speaker 2: We're going to stop right. You can't present me with the whole autographs that I can't read, that may well be boot okay, okay, and put this out there so this this terminates now its end podcast.
Speaker 1: Joining me on zero to discuss reforms policies is Richard Twice, the party's Deputy leader and spokesperson on energy. He is a member of Parliament for the constituency of Boston and Skegness. Despite reforms surge in opinion polls, a twenty twenty five Yugov survey found that only seventeen percent of British people believe that humans are not the main cause of climate change. Tice falls in that camp. As you will hear, he is not interested in what the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says and decline to read its summary for policymakers, the Climate Science Document that has been signed off by all governments, including those of major oil producing nations, and that steers climate policy worldwide. Still, this is the first time where Ties has been probed at length on his views about climate change and clean energy, and it's important that voters understand how such a popular politician plans to act on this major issue, whereas comments contained inaccuracies or required additional context. I've recorded explanations for listeners. You can also see a full annotated transcript of this conversation with graphs and more on Bloomberg dot com. We've linked to it in the show notes. As always, if you have feedback for the show, please email us at zero pod at Bloomberg dot net. Now here's my conversation with Richard Tye. Richard Tice, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. So.
Speaker 1: The local election results are out. The Reform Party has performed really well. They're about nineteen thousand council seats, five thousand were up for election, Reforms one about fifteen hundred. Nationally, Reform is pulling higher than any other political party. Of course, a national election is not scheduled until October twenty twenty nine or earlier August twenty nine, but it could happen even sooner than that, so there's a lot to talk about. You are the deputy leader of reform, but you're also the energy spokesperson. This is a climate podcast, so I want to start there. Okay, last year, the global average temperature was one point five degrees celsius above the pre industrial period. What do you think is the cause behind that heating?
Speaker 2: Climate's always changed for millions of years, and it goes through cycles long, medium and short. And let's remember a few thousand years ago the average temperature was a couple of degrees higher than where it is now. So these things move in cycles and always has done, always will do.
Speaker 1: So I want to show you a couple of things because it's important that we get the basics right before we progress. This is a chart from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. It's a summary for policymakers, so very much for people like you and me who are not experts in climates science. And what you're seeing there is two thousand years worth of temperature change and the rapid increase that has happened. On the right hand side chart you'll see you're right, the climate change has happened over the past because of natural causes. The green line there shows what the natural causes do, and then the orange light shows you what is causing climate change, which is human caused emissions. Some people think that, well, that is sixty six thousand studies put together by scientists for the sixth time since the IBCC was founded, So it's not some people, it's unanimous among scientists.
Speaker 2: With the RPCC has just resiled from one of its core assumptions, which was the eight point five scenario.
Speaker 1: So our CP eight point five, which is the that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Which is which is dominated lots of people's catastrophe thinking and formulas, and they've just basically and said they've just abandoned it and.
Speaker 1: Said, so that one is now off the table. There are these new models.
Speaker 2: One of the foundations of the whole IPCC's scare mongering for the last twenty or thirty years. They've just abandoned.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's a that's a that's exactly.
Speaker 2: What they've done. And and forecasters have based their forecasts around something the IPCC has now admitted they've got badly wrong. No, literally, what's happened.
Speaker 1: Let's take a beat. What we are talking about here is the IPCC's different climate scenarios. These simulate the level of human emissions and show what mild to catastrophic climate change could look like. RCP eight point five is the worst case scenario, and it simulated world with heavy continued use of coal. Santis now say that our CP eight point five as imagined is no longer plausible because of the falling cost of renewables, the emergence of climate policy, and recent emissions trends. It does not mean that climate change is not happening or that there won't be severe impacts, and IPCC still has other worst case scenarios to inform policymakers. I write about climate science for my day job, so let me present the facts to you.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do a podcast where people can't see the graphs and the things. We're going to stop right. You can't present me with the whole editgraphs that I can't read, that may well be booted. Okay, okay, and put this out there so this this terminates now, it's it's end of podcast. This is ridiculous, Okay, okay, sorry, you cannot you cannot seriously think this is a sensible way to conduct a podcast. We're not doing it. We're ending now.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is, this is the summary for policymakers, and.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with any of it. And you can present something to me, right and expect me to comment on it when I haven't read it. I don't know what you're talking about right in terms of what you're presenting, right, And one of the foundations of the IPCC's very ethos in the last twenty thirty years they've just abandoned.
Speaker 1: So let me just tell you what this is, and then we can move on. This is the summary for policy makers, which is let me explain. So, the IPCC puts out a report every five to seven years. It's thirty thousand pages long. At the end of it, they produce a summary. Every government on the planet goes through that summary word by word, including places like Saudi Arabia, and they approve those words so that people who have no knowledge of science can read it. So I'll just leave it here. We can move on from this. I just want to understand you. You are, you know, passionate about net zero, So how do you define in the pheze, what do you think that zero means?
Speaker 2: Look? Zero is essentially you know, it was something that basically certain governments have adopted under great pressure around the you know, frankly just in a sense on a net basis getting to zero.
Speaker 1: CO two emissions, and you are to which.
Speaker 2: Many thousands of scientists fundamentally disagree about the need to or the pace too. And the whole point of science is that scientists disagree, okay, And that's actually how science progresses by challenging each other. And thousands of scientists fundamentally disagree with the IPCC approach, but they have been smeared and labeled. They can't get any research grant funding, and there has been a whole consensus of this is the dogma. This is what everyone's got to believe, and if you have the temerity believe anything else, you are a bad person.
Speaker 1: According to one twenty nineteen study in the Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, consensus among recent scientists that humans are the cause of global warming is now at one hundred percent. Other studies find that agreement on anthropogenic global warming is high, and most studies put it at ninety seven percent or greater. While there may be disagreements about the scale and pace of response. There is little disagreement about the cause or existence of climate change in the scientific community. So you're going to be a party that is being taken seriously in the UK. Given where you are in the polls, maybe you get into government. Do you think scientists should be advising you on what policy is to set out?
Speaker 2: I think we should be listening to sciences from all different sides of the spectrum. At the end of the day, let's remember, sorry, advisers, advice directors decide in the corporate world. In the governmental world, advisors advise minister's desire.
Speaker 1: So your view on climate science, which is that thousands of scientists disagree that net zero is not the way to tackle climate change. Who are the scientists who are advising you on that? Can you name any the thousands of scientists.
Speaker 2: I've got lots of people advise me. I don't list all my private advisors with regard to anything, whether it's net zero, whether it's housing policy, whether it's industrial policy. You know, people who advise me from all different sides, who are coming at me from all different angles, very often opposing. And that's great because that's how you listen and learn that's who we are.
Speaker 1: So I've watched a lot of your interviews in preparation for this one. You use this phrase, you call it net stupid zero. What's the stupid part?
Speaker 2: The stupid part is that it's incredibly stupid for the UK to almost unilaterally say we're going to lead the way in the world. We're responsible for NERO points seven zero point eight percent of CO two emissions. We're going to lead the way. We're going to have the most expensive electricity, We're going to have a shortage of supply of it. We're going to destroy our industrial sector, destroy millions of jobs, impoverish ordinary people who are already not very well off. And then we're going to say to the rest of the world, look at us, We've got to net zero. How's it gone, folks? Can you follow us and the rest of the world look at us and laugh at our naive stupidity as they've taken our jobs, they've taken our money. We are impoverished, and they think happy days, the stupid mad Brits.
Speaker 1: The UK's economic growth has been sluggish since it voted to leave the European Union in twenty sixteen. Green jobs have been a bright spot. The Confederation of British Industry, the country's largest business group, set in twenty twenty five that the net zero economy in the UK grew three times faster than the whole economy. That year, there were nearly seven hundred thousand green jobs according to the Office of National Statistics. So the stupid part here is not so much the climate science, but it's the policies that the government has put forward to try and tackle climate change and deploy lots of renewables. Specifically, what do you think is wrong with the UK governments under labor or under COMMISERVETI.
Speaker 2: First of all, the proof of my of my argument is one of the IPCC reports a few years ago that said, even if you get to net zero effectively tomorrow, it'll make no difference to one of the key things people are most worried about, which is sea level rise. Correct for somewhere between two hundred years on the one hand and a thousand years on the other hand. They do generously say they have that with high confidence correct. Right, there's no high confidence in an eight hundred year timespan. It means they're completely guessing.
Speaker 1: But let me just make sure, I add to your evidence, Bace. So not just sea level rise want halt for the next two hundred two one thousand years. Glacier melting also won't halt. But there are all sorts of other impacts that happened from glacier thing. You know about the Swiss down that went down when there was a glacier.
Speaker 2: Mat And just let me ask you. Now you've asked the last questions, let me ask you. Did glacial changes and melting take place before eighteen fifteen? This thran?
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, it did, but never this, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So thank you very much for agreeing so that the climate's always changed and it always will so and this mad nonsense that climate change didn't happen before eighteen fifty And the moment you get to net zero and Lord's Mattley stop is dangerous. It's irresponsible, and it's killing our economy. And we're leading in the polls right and the voters are agreeing with us on this.
Speaker 1: Can I respond?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So the reason why scientists say that we should try and hold climate change is not because they can ensure that sea level rights stops. It's because at least listen to me, please listen to me. They want to make sure that it doesn't rise even further on sea level. But also, if you hold climate change, you can stop you can you can halt the rye that we are seeing in extreme weather events of wildfliers.
Speaker 2: Or arrogant naivety of people who think you can stop climate change that's gone on for millions of years.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so let's let's come to policies because the thing that you what is the.
Speaker 2: Point on carrying on a podcast where we fundamentally disagree on everything.
Speaker 1: Great, well, we can fundamentally try to have a policy discussion because neither of us are scientists. I'm presenting you what the scientist said. You can take the time, you can read it later. Do you want to need to talk about Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a waste of It's literally you're wasting my time.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about policies because we're not policies.
Speaker 2: We've got our policies. And guess what, we're winning in elections because the British people agree with us. They're being shafted by the stupidity of this globe, of this IPCC consensus that has that is destroying our economy. That let me remind you, in the eighties and nineties of the last century, we were going at between two and a half and four percent a year. We had deep, plentiful energy driven by oil and gas from north sea. Right, No one was worried about the price for electricity, No one was worried about the quantitative supply, no one was worried about the reliability of supply. Now that's all anybody is talking about. So every board here the country is.
Speaker 1: To try and lower the cost of energy, and one of the ways you're going to do that is drill in the Nazi for oil and gas.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing we do is we scrapnet stupid zero okay, scrap all the daft taxes okay, And so that we can immediately bring down the cost of energy. And then we allow licenses to drill throughout the both offshore and on shore, to use our energy treasure. And that if you increase the supply of anything, it's basic economics, the price of that good will come down, as it does in America, where their gas price, the wholesale gas price is give or take thirty percent of.
Speaker 1: US oil and gas prices are largely said by international markets. So even if more oil and gas could be produced domestically, it won't make a difference to how much British people pay. According to the UK's Energy Research Center, the UK has already used up most of its accessible reserves in its part of the NAZI, and a parliamentary analysis says that the NAZI has been a declining basin for quite some time. Let's take it in three parts. So the first part is scrap net zero policies, the second part is drill offshore, and then third part is drilled on shore on scrapping net zero policies. So you know, one of the things that you talk about is that in this policy set the government pays billions of pounds and subsidies to clean energy. Do you know how much the government pays in subsidies to fossil fuels?
Speaker 2: What depends what you call a subsidy.
Speaker 1: No defined as government giving direct benefit to fossil fuel industry. So I'll give you one estimate. Between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, the UK people paid ninety billion pounds extra to buy the liquified natural gas, mostly right natural gas that came from abroad. Of that fortnds was government such.
Speaker 2: I guess what if we'd had this common sense not to abandon our North Sea, we wouldn't have been in that pickle. And that was of course, that was partly because of the issue around the Ukraine War, where we're overexposed. Right. Yes, we weren't paying any subsidies, right, we were benefiting from cheap, plentiful oil and gas back in the eighties and nineties. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 1: So one of the ways in which you will do it is to go and drill in the Nazi Now, ninety percent of the reserve in the nights, not sea on oil and gas has been extracted, so you get about ten percent more with new licenses, you know. So that's what the reserve is.
Speaker 2: Okay. So why why are the Norwegians drilling forty nine new wells last year? Right because they think there's plenty more to go that's worth going for. We so stupid that our side of the line, we think it's a good idea to drill zero any.
Speaker 1: Well, the United Kingdom has a border, Norway has a border, not really has its own resource where I think, and it knows we have more reserves.
Speaker 2: We've got we've got lots of reserves. But if you just say it's not viable because you make the regulations and everything too expensive, then and be surprised if people say, well there's not much to go for.
Speaker 1: Well, the UK government was so good at drilling in the Nazi that it extracted ninety percent of it, so you get ten percent that's left the other Let's come to the sole point, right.
Speaker 2: You're stating facts that fundamentally many people don't agree with.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's come to the fact that you would like to frack in Lincolnshire. For example, there's a reserves that are being found in Lincolnshire. Now in Lincolnshire, Stuart Hazeldean, who's a University of Edinburgh professor, says, the most you can get from shale is about ten years worth of gas for the US.
Speaker 2: Hell of a lot of gas. Right. What happens after that I agree to give or takes a decades, Well, that's a hell of a lot of UK gas.
Speaker 1: What happens after that?
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing is where have we've got a crisis at the moment? Right, We've got a we're importing a whole load of gas was sent and here's the thing that people need to understand. When you buy energy from overseas, what is the transaction? You send them your money. You're essentially outsourcing your jobs. They send you the energy, you burn it. A week later, you've got nothing. You need to send them more money, right, so much better to use your own. Therefore, the money and the job stay in the UK. You get the multiplier effects. This is the reason why the US economy has seen compound growth when they've become a energy either self dependent or an exporter in the last twenty years since the use of shell gas, and we could do the same now after ten years time. Of course, I love technology. I drive a Tesla. Do I think it's going to change the climate? No, but I'm not a petrol head.
Speaker 1: Last year, the use of electric vehicles reduced oil consumption by two point three million barrels of oil per day, according to Bloomberg and Eif electrification is considered the main route to cut transport emissions and to tackle climate.
Speaker 2: Change, here's the point. Though there were incredible technologies being looked at. For example, step fusion mail may not deliver anything remarkable over the next twenty to forty years. In the intrim we know we need loads of energy, right, and we know that basically fossil fuels represents about eighty percent of our energy consumption in the UK, So why not use as much of our own as we possibly can?
Speaker 1: So electricity last year in the UK, all of twenty twenty five, sixty five percent came from non fossil sources in the.
Speaker 2: UK, and yourize energy, that electricity is about twenty percent of our energy consumption. So we need a lot of oil increasing, We need.
Speaker 1: A car, it's increasing right a bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, we need a lot of oil and a lot of gas. So for God's sake, use our own. Stop sending our jobs and our money overseas. So we seem to want to outsource everything and impoverish our nation.
Speaker 1: After ten years, if you have scrapped net zero policies and there are no renewable plants being built, what happens after ten years? Do you restart the renewable energy industry?
Speaker 2: My expression is every last barrel, every last drop, right, all the tire backs, whatever you make it viable, right, and we must be looking for as much as we can domestically, and where we haven't got it domestically, we import it. But if you make it impossible for a whole bunch of taxes and regulation, then don't be for people uh to make it viable in the UK, then people go overseas. I've got lots of oil and gas companies saying if you reduce the taxation, make the regulation smart not daft, then we've got lots to go at.
Speaker 1: So the Oil and Gas Authority says that even if we take on all the licenses and drill in the Nazi, the dependence on imports for oil and for gas will increase over the next twenty years because there's just not enough oil and gas in the Nazi. If you tap some shill maybe you get little less gas import, but oil is still something that the UK will continue to import from international markets.
Speaker 2: Right now. We use ourselves. The more money and jobs we keep here, so make it attractive to do that to the greatest extent possible.
Speaker 1: After the break, I ask Richard Ties how many people actually support reforms energy policies, and whether people really prefer fracking to solar. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to read the show on Apple, podcast, YouTube, and Spotify. It helps more listeners find the podcast thank You has the Iran War and the spike in energy prices based on imported oil, change your mind about anything to do with.
Speaker 2: It's reinforced my point of view that for God's sake, if you're lucky enough to have energy treasure, use it.
Speaker 1: But having we are the only we have the only.
Speaker 2: G seven nation, possibly they G twenty nation that is lucky enough have to have significant energy treasure reserves, that is stupid enough to think is a good idea not to use it. Well, all of the nations you've got energy treasure who are extracting it right, they are growing, whether it's America, whether it's the Middle East, whether it's in Asia. We are almost unique in our stupidity.
Speaker 1: The fact is the UK will continue to import oil because the UK doesn't have very much oil. You've said one of the ways in which you're going to reduce costs of energy is to tax renewables and ban battery energy storage. How exactly does that lower energy prices?
Speaker 2: So let me just take you back to the eighties and nineties that where we didn't have renewables, we didn't have batteries, and what do we have We have cheap energy? There is a direct link between the growth in renewable generating capacity and the growth in electricity prices in the UK.
Speaker 1: The Office of National Statistics says UK electricity prices are high by international comp garrison because of the relative dependence on gas. In countries such a Spain, which have a higher share of renewables and much less dependence on gas, electricity is much cheaper than the UK.
Speaker 2: Here's a simple thing, right, The wind doesn't always blow and the sun sadly doesn't always shine in the UK. So the cost of renewables plus backup literally by definition, must cost more than backup because there is a cost of capital and a cost of retention of all of the backup when you get, for example, a Dunkel flout.
Speaker 1: And the assets that have been built that are producing power. By adding tax on it, it increases the capital cost that will increase cost of energy.
Speaker 2: Don't build it in the first place. We don't need batteries. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But how does taxing renewables that exist lower the price of energy? That's the question.
Speaker 2: Don't build the don't build the new stuff, and the existing stuff they will, they will, they will operate over time. We are paying over ten billions of pounds of subsidies and a growing multi billion pound constraint payments right to the renewable industry for the cost of renewable right and eighty percent of the offshore renewables is overseas owned, so the British consumer is being shafted to help overseas investors. How does that help my constituency?
Speaker 1: So would you tax, say the profits of oil and gas that come from the Nazi from the drilling that you will approve, that can then be put to buy these renewable plants for the British people so that they're not right.
Speaker 2: We will share. I'm not writing the first reform budget here at now on your Lovely podcast, but what we do know is that tax needs to be competitive to encourage investors to invest. And I want a lot more in gas. I've said to the industry. I've said, get your applications ready. We could, for example, do what they do in Norway, which is give better right of allowances in respect of exploration so that you encourage the ability to get to every last job.
Speaker 1: They also tax the oil and gas profits and put that money into the Sovereign Wealth Fund. But you don't want to copy the sovereign wealth fund.
Speaker 2: I do. Actually, if you've listened to me elsewhere, I've talked very much about creating one of the biggest sovereign wealth funds in the world over five hundred billion pounds by transforming the local government pension skeis. But that's not related to oil and gas.
Speaker 1: Local government pensions are valued at about four hundred billion pounds and currently invest that sum in assets around the world to generate returns and pay the retirement benefits of six point seven million people. Reforms plan is to consolidate those funds into a sovereign wealth fund to invest in British industries, including strategic ones such as steal. However, experts say that other sovereign wealth funds, such as the one in Norway or Singapore, are able to make those investments because they do not have to guarantee pension payments and thus are able to invest in risky assets to maximize returns. You were a businessman before you became a politician. You made millions of pounds as a businessman. You know what sanctity of contracts mean. You have said that in AR seven, the offshore win projects that have been awarded already a businesses don't build anything, but you will cancel those licenses.
Speaker 2: We put people on notice, we put so in instance, people are going into it caveat emptol. It's literally one of the main things around businesses. How they know what they're going into. They know we're against it, they know we're winning the votes and elections, so they know the British people are with us, so they can make their own choice.
Speaker 1: Governments are run by political parties that change, So as a businessman who's making a contract for twenty years, thirty years, they will see changes in parties. How do you think businesses can have confidence investing in the use.
Speaker 2: Them up in front? I said you exactly. They've got more confidence because I've told them up front, invest in nuclear, invest in gas, invest in all No, don't invest in renewables that is increasing the prices for British consumer.
Speaker 1: How will they have confidence when one hold them up front? When one ideological party says we are going to rip up renewables contracts, and then another ideological party might come and say we are going to rip up oil and gas.
Speaker 2: Consistency between is this nuclear? So invest in nuclear?
Speaker 1: So I'm going to show you another chart, and it's very clearly pointed out. On nuclear the UK has some of the most expensive nuclear power plants. So what you're seeing on the chart is on the y axis is the cost per unit of electricity and on the X axis is the cost to build that plant. The capital expenditure right at the top in the right hand side is Hinkley point C and size. We'll see the most expensive nuclear power plants in the world. Why do you think building more our nuclear power plants will lower the cost of electricity?
Speaker 2: Have you heard of SMRs?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, wells exist in the world.
Speaker 2: Maybe what we should.
Speaker 1: Swing mesmrs exist in the world.
Speaker 2: Maybe what we should do is learn from others around the world. Rather than arrogantly think we know it all, Maybe we should say, why is it that South Korean technology can build nuclear plants and a fraction of the price that we're building. Why is it that we're overregulating to such a degree?
Speaker 1: South Korea has no small modulary actuations.
Speaker 2: Why are we so stupid that we spent seven hundred million quid on Hinkley point C seven hundred million quid of taxpayers cash to protect a bunch of salmon About seventy salmon for God's sake, it's ridiculous. So we can build safely and smartly and not waste a whold load of cash. Those are the reasons why we've ended up with all of our infrastructure costing way too much. So we can do it much smarter. The government has just recently awarded the first designation for SMRs in North Wales. We support that. Do we think we could build it cheaper? Well, let's hope so is. You know that they're using sort of foundationally British technology, Roads, Rice Rolls, Royce technology. I'm a great fan of that. But equally, competition is a good thing. So we might want to say, for example, there's other nuclear plants being looked at, for example in Hartlepool and elsewhere. Big fan of it, great, let's get on with it.
Speaker 1: So here's the fact that you may be able to use next time, because it supports your argument. There are two small modular reactors in the world that are being built for civilian use. One is in China, one is in Russia. There exists no other small modular reactor in a commercial setting anywhere else. Neither Russia nor China are the technologies that we would like here in your ats.
Speaker 2: There are lots of companies building nuclear plants of a variety of different sizes, whether it's whether it's South career in technology, whether it's American technology that's looking to bid over here. Lots of people are bidding here. We should look at all of it. Because the thing about nuclear is that we know it's it's probably actually over the last fifty or sixty years, some say it's been the safest technology. It's reliable in terms of its consistency, and so it has a clear important place within the mix. There's almost no dispute about that.
Speaker 1: The safety of nuclear I want disputy on disputy on that. If you take the number of deaths that have happened as a result of nuclear power plants and compare them to a coal parp plant or even a gas poper plant, or even tiny.
Speaker 2: To wind turbines, had a lot of people who have died building wind turbines that have died in the nuclear power industry. The largest comes from the renewable industry.
Speaker 1: The largest comes from burning fossil fuels, so burning coal and natural gas, because they're obviously no they're causing air pollutants. So per unit of energy produced over time, and so you have the numbers per terra, what are of electricity produced all kills to T five people, gas three, hydro power one point three, win zero point zero four, nuclear zero point zero three and solar zero point zero two. You agreed with the government in supporting the small modular reactor technology through Rolls Royce Well Kirstarmer just this morning has announced that he's going to nationalize British Steel. Do you agree?
Speaker 2: Of course he's done it because of our recommendation. We literally stood outside British Steel on that Tuesday this time last year and we said there's literally three or four days to save British steal. And guess what. On the Saturday they recall Parliament and they save those blast furnaces. They didn't want to, but they knew electorally we were right. And since then they have prevaricated, They've not really come up with anything. But it is one of the rare things. I've been telling him for a year. I told him in that debate, I said, do the job properly, kick you out, nationalize it. The difference with us is they want to shut down the blast furnaces. This is their plan and they want to build an electric arc furnace there. They don't need to build an EAF there. They've got the EF in the former Liberty plants down down the road at Rotherham, so take those out of being mothboard. Use those. Our plans would be to refurbish and renew the two blast furnaces in Scumthorpe fit for the next fifty or sixty years, so that we've got the capability to build primary steel here in the UK.
Speaker 1: There will involve subsidizing the buildout. I mean once it's government owned, well it's government spending that money. It will involve government also paying to ensure that it's got enough metallurgical call supply to support the blast furnace, which will involve the government trying to start a metallurgical coal mine here in the UK, or depend on imports. You're okay with that.
Speaker 2: I've said it very clearly, so you will. I've said it very clearly. The idea that we could be the only G twenty nation without the capability to build primary steel and a time when people are worried about sovereign independent resilience is bonkers. We need the ability to build primary steel so that we can have the strongest steel for a whole variety of uses. Because what we've learned is that, yes, you know, you can have just in time delivery when the sun shines, but the sun doesn't always shine. And sometimes what you think our friendly, reliable partners sometimes turn out to be to be people where you can't guarantee it.
Speaker 1: Coming to the point about building competitive industries, building new technologies. You own a Tesla. You've talked about how it's a superior technology. Your words were you like electric cars because they're silent.
Speaker 2: I didn't you say it was a superior technology. I said it's great technology. It's amazing, but there's some amazing you know, combustion engine cars.
Speaker 1: And you did not mention the fact that you have rooftop solar on your businesses. That good use of rooftops.
Speaker 2: Because because it's a good ucy rooftops, there's no subsidy on those. You sell the electricity to the ten and below, you reduce the pressure on the national grid. We should have been doing that with all the big logistics.
Speaker 1: So with these attacks on net zero policies, how do you think companies that build rooftop solar, that build electric cars here in the country. How do you try you under your government.
Speaker 2: Because they don't need a subsidy, right, that's the difference. Whereas all the renewables, all the wind turbines and the solar farms, they want a fat subsidy for very long term contracts. None of my solar panels on my roofs has a subsidy.
Speaker 1: So reform one in the councils of Sunderland and Hotleypool from labor Now those are regions which have thousands of jobs.
Speaker 2: Liter just differentiate the clarify it. We've got majority control in sun yes, no minority. We are I think we are just the biggest party in.
Speaker 1: Hardpool, right, So those regions have thousands of jobs in the renewable energy industry, specifically making electrical parts, wind turbines, wind blades. You don't want to build more wind power in this country. What will happen to the jobs that those people have right now? In the thousands?
Speaker 2: What what are happening to the hundreds of thousands of jobs being destroyed by net stupid zero? What happens to those net net right? Many many many more, tens, if not hundreds of thousands of jobs are being destroyed across the whole of the UK economy because of net stupid zero.
Speaker 1: But Sunderland Sunderland. Hardly do you accept that Sunderland had. Let's focus on the jobs that will be lost under your policy first, as they try and understand.
Speaker 2: National politicians are government, Yes, your responsibility is to the whole of the United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: And when I got to it, I'm not running a national government right now, you're running a local Councilcilities first to local people, we.
Speaker 2: Are said, but I'm a national politician, shutting up national policy. Right And in the event that we win a local councilor isn't it interesting they know what our policy is and guess what. Voters in those areas have voted massively for reform because they know the cost of the renewables thanks to net stupid zero, is making them poorer. And when I go to Aberdeen and they're literally losing one thousand jobs a month in and around Aberdeen and the oil and gas industry because of this mad policy, right, that's what's going on.
Speaker 1: About eighteen thousand jobs have been lost in Aberdeen's oil and gas sectors since twenty ten, according to the Scotland Herald that works out too roughly one thousand jobs lost per year.
Speaker 2: So I say to the renewables industry, love technology, fantastic, but if you keep telling me it's going to be cheaper, it's about time you delivered. It's about time you stop gaslighting the British people saying it's going to get cheaper in twenty years. Time forget it.
Speaker 1: So when you look at war and you pull them reform voters specifically fifty six percent support on shore wind, fifty nine support solar farms, sixty six percent support offshore wind across the.
Speaker 2: UA, I'm just going to stop you there right then, why are we winning all these elections? Why have we absolutely smashed it?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why is it that in Lincolnshire where they're looking to cover one hundred square miles of solar farms, nobody wants them.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's an element here that you are benefiting from the unpopularity of other parties, Like people don't want what's there now, they don't want the incumbent, so they are looking for something new and they are giving you the vote versus them actually liking your policies.
Speaker 2: I think that if the two main parties had done the job properly and people are getting more prosperous and the quality of life was getting better, which it was in the eighties and nineties, then we wouldn't exist. There'll be no need for us. Competition is a good thing. You Bloomberg competes against other organizations. The whole financial sector is around competition. We exist because the main parties have failed, and we know that our policies around getting rid of mass uncontrolled immigration is popular. We know people are very concerned about their bills and that actually our net zero policy is resonating hugely. We all care about the environment, We all care about clean air. There is nothing environmentally friendly about covering one hundred square miles of Lincolnshire agricultural productive farmland with solar panels, surrounding whole villages, decimating property prices in those villages or making them unsailable, and thinking that's going to end well.
Speaker 1: Well, do you think if you were surrounding those towns and villages with fracking they would like it more?
Speaker 2: Well? I've talked about a lot in Lincolnshire and guess what we're doing really well in Lincolnshire. We won the county council election last year We've just done really well in northeast Lincolnshire in the elections. We've just done really well and people understand that oil and gas generated wealth, prosperity's growth, and yeah, I use this patriotic slogan. It's our patriotic duty Lincolnshire gas for Lincolnshire, jobs for Linkshire growth, and it seems to be going down pretty well.
Speaker 1: When you ask voters whether they want cheaper energy, they say yes. When you say that will come at the cost of higher climate change, they say no. So let's talk adaptation because you have talked about for adaptations.
Speaker 2: That we disagree on that principle point.
Speaker 1: But let's talk about adaptation because one of the things that you have mentioned is we can't stop climate change human beings so adapt to it. When we adapt to it, there are things that we'll have to adapt to. We'll have to figure out how to reduce wildfires that are happening in places like London. Eleven homes that burnt in twenty twenty two. We're going to have to figure out how to deal with droughts. The Fire Service can't the fire.
Speaker 2: Literally, if there's a fire, the fiber gade go and put a fire out. In a house fire. Yes, are you seriously suggesting Are you seriously suggesting that it is better aspend trillions of pounds on a on a I'm asking about policy as opposed to doing what we used to do, which is, for example, we were worried about flooding in London, so we built the Thames Barrier. If we're worried about flooding on the East Coast, maybe we should improve our defenses, raise them up, or do what, for example, they do elsewhere, which is an adaptation mitigating circumstances off shore. Those are the smart things to say. My debate is, My debate is the policies of net stupid zero. Thinking you can stop climate change is absurd. You can't.
Speaker 1: So we are not talking about emissions and need to adapt to it. Let's adapt to it. If you're saying on wildfires, let's fund the fire brigade better so that they can deal with fires. Let's talk about droughts, how is how are you going to address droughts? How are you going to adapt to droughts? When there's not enough rain in the UK, which feels like.
Speaker 2: A strange you must say you must be living on your own planet because most people can plain there's too much.
Speaker 1: The issue is the issue has got issue is not good issues.
Speaker 2: Quantity of water in the UK, The issue is how the water companies do or don't capture it. Have we got enough storage capacity? Have we built enough reservoirs in the last twenty years, given that the population has increased by give or take twelve million people, The answer is how many reservoirs are we built in the last twenty years? Zero? How stupid is it right under government policy to say it's a good idea to increase the population by twelve million people and not build any extra water capacity. How stupid is it to let your water companies pay fat dividends overseas investors and not make sure that they've got enough treatment plant, that they're looking after the pipes properly, and we've got enough storagey So where is the debate about, well, is it cheaper to build reservoirs or should we do what other countries do and look at desalination plants? These all these strategic things we need to look at.
Speaker 1: So wildfire's better fire brigade droughts, you do reservoirs and you do desalination plants. For floods, you do flood defenses like the and the things sea level, sea level rise. You know, at least three of the eight members of Parliament out of the six fifty that are there, are from coastal constituency. So Farage for Clacton, Sarah Pochin for run Con, and yourself for Boston and Scagnus. Uh. These are coastal constituencies. You're going to have to deal with sea level rise. You will pay for sea level protection. Is that right?
Speaker 2: The whole country, the whole country is paying the cost of net stupid zero and it's and it's I mean.
Speaker 1: We're talking adaptation. We're not talking about cutting emissions. We are talking about your policies to try and much cheaper.
Speaker 2: Much cheaper to adapt to climate change than to think you can stop it.
Speaker 1: Costs come from both transitioning the economy to net zero emissions and from the damage to the economy caused by climate change. The UK's Office for Budget Responsibility says the latter is the more significant physical cost. That is, in the long run, it will be significantly cheaper to mitigate climate change than to adapt to the impacts. It's also worth noting adaptation costs increase the higher temperatures rise. In twenty thirteen there was a thirty six million pound fund that was given from the Environment Agency to build a pier from tracking peer to Holland and seed to try and dealing.
Speaker 2: To do with global climate change and sea level defenses.
Speaker 1: That's it's to try and hold back sea level rise. So that was the fund that was given. The fourth thing that we talked about, fire brigade, desalination plants, reservoirs, flood defenses and sea level protection. All of that will require money that's going to come from the Sovereign Wealth Fund.
Speaker 2: Seriously, the cost of net zero right which the Climate Change Committee admits, is in the trillions of pounds. We don't know how many trillions. Who's paying that the British people, we're all paying it, and we're all getting poorer. The cost of adapting with some sensible adaptation measures is a hell of a lot cheaper. And that is our key point.
Speaker 1: We can come back if you wonder if zero.
Speaker 2: That is the key fundamental. Everything else is a subset of that fundamental. The whole point is that thinking that you can get to net stupid zero and that you're going to stop global climate change, and you think that's a good investment of trillions of UK taxpayers money, right, as opposed to sensible adaptation, which is what we used to do with things like the Thames Barrier. That's the crux of the debate. That's fine, I'm winning it.
Speaker 1: I'm asking you the question, how will you pay for the adaptation?
Speaker 2: Right? The national taxpayer is currently being forced to pay tens and tens and tens of billions of pounds every year and suffer huge job losses, which means to people on welfare, which is costing the British taxpayer fortunes. The alternative that we suggest will be much much, much cheaper to the British taxpayer, and we know it works because guess what, that's what made us wealthier. In the AI nine.
Speaker 1: March eleventh, the Climate Change Committee that you just cited actually put out a report and it's said that by twenty fifty, if you reach net zero, the saving to the UK taxpayer would be between forty billion pounds and one hundred and thirty billion pounds, which is the cost of one energy crisis. It said purely on energy savings change.
Speaker 2: It is full of eco zealots, but you just cited them.
Speaker 1: You just cited them.
Speaker 2: I'd quoted the IPCC and approved fact. Frankly, they've admitted they're wrong on some things. And what we name if you look at if you look at the Climate Change Committee that you seem so obsessed with in the next few years, they admit that it's going to cost the taxpayer many tens of billions of pounds, right, many tens of billions of pounds. You don't need to spend that much in order to have some sensible adaptation strategies, that's the point.
Speaker 1: So you don't you don't have numbers yet on how much you'll spend on adaptation, but you know that you will have to s on adaptation, and you're okay with spending on adaptation tens of billions of.
Speaker 2: Point, you know that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the trillions of pounds that can you see that the trillions? You know?
Speaker 1: How you know that?
Speaker 2: How we know that? How?
Speaker 1: Yes? Like, on what basis have you done an analysis looking at the cost that you will have to pay for adaptation?
Speaker 2: Because we know, because we know it worked beforehand. We know in the eighties and nineties and two thousand.
Speaker 1: Climate change has accelerated since. So I'm asking you about the climate change today, not that was there in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: You can have this debate all you want. We're winning it. Okay, we're winning elections. The voters are backing us.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking for evidence as all.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, evidence cheaper. You seem to think that climate change is a sort of is only around ten or twenty years. Climate change goes on for millions and millions of years. And the idea fundamentally that we should impoverish ourselves as a single nation responsible for zero point seven scent of global CO two missions to try some great experiment and to pray that everybody else follows us, and then to pray that that stops climate change is for the birds.
Speaker 1: Thank you Richard twice, and thank you for listening to zero. You can see a full annotated transcript of this conversation with Grafts and more information on Bloomberg dot com. We link to it in the show notes. Now for the sound of the week, but I know that is the sound of firefighters cutting a fire brake in Alaska. Due to drought and record breaking heat, wild fires have consumed more than one hundred and fifty million hectares in the first four months of twenty twenty six. That's an area nearly the size of Alaska and roughly double the seasonal average for this period. Read more about it on Bloomberg dot com, Forward slash Green. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar Boyd with help from Soamersadi. Our theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Lucy White, Olivia Rudgard, Laura Milan, and Sharon Chen. I'm Akshadrati back soon.