Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Friday, it's a meat Friday. I of course in the head of quality control. I went out to check out the Tariaki chicken stir fry and it is delish. We also have spring rolls. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No body?
Speaker 2: Sunday Night, Nobody has it better than we do. And NBC and Peacock Kings of the North, Sam Darnold and the Vikings against Jared Goff and the Lions. It's the final game of the regular season and what's up for grabs number one seed in the NFC. The loser will be the fifth seed with fourteen wins on the road opening round to the playoffs. Sunday seven Eastern on NBC in Peacock. And if you talk about a must win situation, this is and we'll do the must win game of the weekend coming up. But if I look at the Lions, I have to take them off the board for the following reason. They have to win this game for a variety of reasons. You want to have the number one overall seed, you have the home field advantage, so they need to continue to win. So there is the possibility that Aiden Hutchinson will be able to play. The longer they go, the more opportunity for these players. And it's not just him, there's a couple other players. They're trying to get back for the postseason. They must win this game this weekend. They got to get to the NFC Title Game, and if they do, chances are they would have Aiden Hutchinson back for the Super Bowl. But when you talk about most must win, I know there's other scenarios here, but that would probably be front and center for me because it's not just home field advantage. It's also sending the Vikings on the road, and it's also maybe going to extend the opportunity to be able to extend your postseason because you'll have home field advantage. All right, Final hour phone calls are welcome, Seaton. You'll have the poll question for the final hour. Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls. Eight seven to seven, three DP show. Good morning, those watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country over four hundred cities that carry this program. Well have rime time with Fritzy. Most must Win Game of the weekend coming up. Big Mike Gullick will also stop by as well. It was a great night for Notre Dame. This is one of those games that, now, this isn't a great Georgia team, but it's a dangerous Georgia team. And I thought that Notre Dame looked like an SEC team, or at least an older, old school SEC. You know, they were able to control the ball, they were physical, they had speed, all the things, you know. And I go back to I was at the national title game with Ohio State in Florida, and I remember it was just different. You just watched what the SEC was all about, and it was speed. And I thought, there is a big difference between the SEC and everybody else. There's not that big of a difference anymore. Dan Wilton, who writes for USA Today, he has an article that starts out by saying SEC and its dear leader should accept reality. The league no longer rules college football. Goes on to write the time has come for SEC fans, its media machine, and especially its commissioner to fess up to the reality that it has simmered under the surface this entire college football season. The world has changed significantly and the old reliable narrative that there is a different quality of football in the SEC than other leagues is now more of a myth than a reality. It goes on to write how you can't stockpile players nil transfer portal. That's changed everything, and he ends up by saying that they should not be entitled, that we wont all these championships under a completely different set of rules. So you must kneel to us now that Bologney that comes far too naturally for people all over that league. It's time for a new act. It's time to be honest, it's time to face facts. You're just like everyone else now, Yes, Paully, I.
Speaker 4: Like to pump the brakes on that article. One off year for the SEC does not deny the past twenty years. They stir the drink of college football. They will in the off season, Greg Sanki make maneuvers to alter the rules of the college football playoffs to be more friendly to them. One off year does not mean falling off a cliff. It's like a basketball player in his prime has an off year and they say, well that's it, Tom Brady's falling off a cliff, or Lebron James, the SEC is going to be fine and they are going to keep running.
Speaker 2: Things, but there's only so much amount of money you can spend on an io and other schools are promising your opportunity to play right away. If you're a quarterback, you want to play. If you're transferring, you want to play now. You're not going to be third on the depth chart waiting for your turn at Alabama. It's just not going to happen. And you even saw this with Georgia last night. Georgia should have five running backs ready to go, and maybe they do, but they didn't have a running game last night. I mean, Sony Michelle and Nick Chubb, Like, this is Georgia. You got to have a running back. They had no running game. Now you're still spending money on the offensive and defensive line, but it just feels like these other schools can pony up money and it can be an attractive place to go because you can play right away. I think that's the difference is maybe they're not going to be as great as they once were, but you're going to have teams that maybe you didn't factor in, like SMU or Indiana, Arizona State, Boise State, that they can come up and they can play with you. It's only one game. That's all you're asking for. They wanted an opportunity. Now they lost, but they got an opportunity and Arizona State took Tech to the mat double overtime. That's what you want. Now you have more teams that can make the playoff. It's not making a bowl game, it's making the playoffs. So now when you spend, you're spending with a goal that can be lucrative because if you win or you continue to win and that amount of money, like Notre Dame doesn't have to share the money. They had fourteen million dollars they made last night and then they got this next game. So that's where you know, the business of college football is allowing you to be able to compete and if you win your conference and college football will change, it'll continue to change. But this is why when you see what's going on now, transfer portal. I can get that quarterback who played with that team, quin Ewers is going to play for somebody next year. Imagine if quinn Ewers goes to Notre Dame or Oregon, six million dollars probably gonna cost you got your quarterback. So that's what's going on. Notre Dame, Sam Hartman, Riley Leonard, come on in, play a year, see you later. That's what college football has become. You know, it's not this. Hey, You've earned your time. Your time is now. You come in, you play. If you don't play, you're thinking about transferring or I might transfer. How much you're gonna pay me to stay? This is what's going on, and it'll continue until they're able to put, you know, a seatbelt on this. And believe me, they're working on this. They are like, how did this happen?
Speaker 3: Yah?
Speaker 2: Kind of like you walk in and you left your teenagers alone for the weekend to have a party, and you're like, what happened? You left us alone? We decided to have a party. Mom satur The Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Donovan in Iowa, Hi Donovan, what's on you on today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 6: Six two one fifty lanky?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: Youre talking some dude earlier about Riley Leonard's Notre Dame quarterback and how he can't be Taysom Hill because.
Speaker 6: He's too small.
Speaker 5: Well, Riley Leonard's six four two inches taller than Taysom Hill in the same weight. I'm just wondering.
Speaker 6: I feel like he could be.
Speaker 8: Way better, uh if he wanted to. I don't say there there.
Speaker 2: You know, Riley Leonard is is lanky. Taysom Hill is jacked, Okay, and he was like that in college. Riley Leonard's good athlete. I told you, you know, he was recruited to play college basketball. He's a perfect college quarterback. But Taysom Hill is different. There's no there's no other Taysom Hill in the NFL. And Riley Leonard is not playing running back. Okay, maybe gets a chance playing quarterback.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've just I've watched him. He's athletic, you know, watched him before he transferred, so I was aware of him and he found a great place. But he's not Taysom Hill. How about the most must win game of the weekend. I can't wait any longer. Okay, Lions are off the board. Okay, because if you factor this in the Lions the most must win, you get the bye week, and then you have eighteen players on the IR Thirteen of the eighteen players for the Lions on the ir defensive players. They're gonna have to outscore everybody like they're They can't just score twenty one points in win a game. They can't. I'd be shocked if they do. All right, Todd, the most must win game of the.
Speaker 10: Weekend, Shockingly, I'm gonna go with at Mile High Stadium, the Broncos must be Carson Wentz and the second tier Chiefs and finally grab.
Speaker 2: You, you know what, I'm taking the Broncos off the board for you.
Speaker 10: Are you real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's obvious.
Speaker 10: Then I'm gonna go for a must win for.
Speaker 2: I'll come back to Okay, Yeah, I'll come back to Seaton. Most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 11: I think if this is a must win weekend for Russell.
Speaker 2: Wilson, Russell Wilson's future.
Speaker 11: I think Russell Wilson if he beats the Bengals, which I think knocks them out of the playoffs, right yeah, I think if he's able to do that, he can count on having a job in Pittsburgh next year. I'm not sure if he doesn't. Though Bengals favored by two by two, I think he wins that game. You can count on him coming back.
Speaker 2: All right, Marvin most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 12: Ironically, I have the Cincinnati Bengals if they can get in. Have a couple teams lose. That's a team you do not want to see in the playoffs, like legit.
Speaker 3: You don't want to see, you do not they can get to the super.
Speaker 2: Bowl, Yeah, they can't get to the super Bowl. Part of the FI yeah, Pie of the Faith. They they don't have a defense.
Speaker 3: They got Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: They have Joe Burrow, and they have Jamar Chase and they have t Higgins, Paulie. The most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 4: Is my mmwg ot W is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers favored by fourteen against the Saints. The NFC is wide open and they are very threatening if they get there. I'm gonna give you a bonus. Most must lose game of the weekend. This is new the New England Patriots hosting the Buffalo Bills. You must lose that football game. You had the number one draft pick and I think there's no way you could lose it unless you win that game.
Speaker 2: And so you can win by losing, correct, you can win big by losing.
Speaker 11: I think you can also lose and still win. Correct, after all these years.
Speaker 13: You can lose and still win in the.
Speaker 4: End, and lose in the NFL and still win. The Patriots are three and thirteen have won six lost six in a row.
Speaker 3: Right on cue, So.
Speaker 2: Wait mate, you can lose and still win. You can win and still lose.
Speaker 4: The New York Giants and the Raiders have won and still lost the past few weeks.
Speaker 2: The Bills are favored by two and a half, two and a half, two and a half. Most must win game of the weekend, I'd say the Steelers. I think Steelers is kind of a tricky situation there because the Ravens are favored by twenty Yes, tod, I.
Speaker 10: Think for an also round, even if it's not the most because they're pretty much off the board from the ones. You guys picked Chicago at Green Bay. All the attention going to the Lions and Vikings on that Sunday night game that they need to dominate the Bears, Lambeau and feel good going into the wild card round, that they're the team to be reckoned with in the.
Speaker 2: Nfstein anything Ryan in Michigan? Hi Ryan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 6: I was just calling because I just don't understand why Jared Goff is not an MVP conversation. He's got pretty comparable stats of Joe Burrow, and if you take him off this Lions team, there's nothing without him. I mean, yes, he's got a great on line, he's got some weapons, but this guy's been playing whites out. I'm so glad that we have him. And yeah, I just want to know your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, I could say, how abound we put Joe Burrow on the Lions.
Speaker 12: That's the greatest offense there's ever been.
Speaker 2: Jared Goff has played well. Sam Darnold has played well. I don't I don't have any problem, like, how many MVP candidates do you want to have, say Kwan Barklay, Josh Allen, Mark Jackson, Jared Goff, Sam Darnald, Joe Burrow. How many MVP candidates do you want to have? You want to have five? Do you want to have ten? I don't care. Sure, I have no problem with it. Or if you just want to say, hey should be in the consideration as an MVP candidate, Okay, I'm fine with that. It's Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. That's it. You can have other candidates if you want to, and I don't have any problems. What Sam Darnald did surprise to everybody. I think Josh Allen benefited from a bad division, but he also surprised me at how he had a window of I think five games that was bordering on historical. And if you watch them play, you're like, who's that guy or who's that guy? You know, Cook's a good running back. They got a couple of tight ends there. Coleman's good or has the potential, But I don't think you look at them and look, you know, say, well, that's like the Lions of the Bengals when it comes to offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, interesting story. Can Sam Darnald win comeback Player.
Speaker 2: Of the Year? Well, what's he coming back from? Right?
Speaker 4: Based off the old rules, the pre Joe Flacco rules, you had to come back from something like injury, whatever. And because of the can you come back from humiliation from being average?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Can you come back from being benched? I just saw this story. Though the associated this can't be right. The AP confirms that Sam Darnald Comeback Player of the Year award votes won't be rejected. They'll accept them, which is in the face of the rule.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, I wouldn't look at him as a comeback Player of the Year. But if Joe Flacco came back from his couch, then oh then they change the rule because of that. Like Deamar Hamlin nearly died, but Joe Flacco came back from you know, sitting on account chance.
Speaker 13: I don't think we can set the bar at did you die or not?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 13: I don't think that that's fair.
Speaker 2: No, what I'm saying is he lost the comeback Player of the year. What are you even coming back from a bad season? He died.
Speaker 11: I don't know that that's the I don't think we can. But in that situation, though, the guy who do you truly did, Joe Flacco is more deserved. He came back like he truly came back from the dead. He couldn't he couldn't play. Nobody wanted him to play, and he had to play and he did well.
Speaker 2: Only one other person came back, and that's j C. Jamar Hamlin came back.
Speaker 13: I got it.
Speaker 2: I mean you gotta give him the d I mean comeback Player of the Year. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The new AP rule for comeback Player of the Year. Quote a player has demonstrated resilience in the face of adversity by overcoming illness, physical injury, or other.
Speaker 2: Or Okay, but let's not discount the importance of or other. What is the or other with Sam Darnold not being very good?
Speaker 10: Okay, yes, I think or other could be someone who has written off by most and all of a sudden, Wow, look at that, that's the or other.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break. Big Mike Gullick will join us. Coming up next, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: He's fallen in love with Sam Darnald. You've got a crush on Sam Donald. You want him to get paid. Now you're promoting him for Comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: War which he's somewhat not eligible for.
Speaker 2: Well, no, the criteria is there that you can vote for Sam Donald for Comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the AP put out criteria that guidance for their voters that it's someone who came back from an illness or an injury or of something of that or other.
Speaker 13: But it's not a hard rule.
Speaker 4: So if you're an AP voter and you want to vote for Sam Darnold, you're not supposed to, but you can.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's Mike Golick, co host of Gojo and Golick on DraftKings Network, and of course Uh, former stalwart with the mother Ship, joining us on the program, Big Mike, Uh, Sam, Sam Darnold, Let's start with Sam Donald. Uh. Listen, come Back Claire of the Year.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 14: I'm calling the Detroit, Minnesota game for Westwood one Sunday, and the first thing I'm gonna do when I go on the field before the game is apologized to Sam because a few weeks ago I had talked on my son and I show that you know, is he going to fall to the you know level he had been or is he going to keep going? I was kind of questioning it, and he's been nothing but money. He has been absolute money. But no, he's not winning Comeback Player of the Year. That that that's for illness, that's for injury. That should be stated. I know there's the other part that you just mentioned in the in the rule, but I think comeback player is for an injury or an illness.
Speaker 2: What do you do if you're the Vikings. I don't know if you bring this up during the broadcast, but you know there are they in a good situation because you have this decision that you might have to make with Darnold and JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's a it's a great situation.
Speaker 14: I mean, listen, we've seen Green Bay do it twice where they drafted a guy high and he sat for three or so years, and in Aaron Rodgers and Jordan love So and JJ's coming off of a need. Listen, you you got to strike while the iron's hot. Now the issue will be what deals does he get offered from other teams? Are they huge money deals? Can you get away with a Baker Mayfield type of deal for Sam a three year, one hundred million, fifty MILLI guaranteed it would probably be more than that instead of a fifty million dollars a year, which I'm not sure someone will give, but they might get close to that. And that this guy has kind of recaptured that that first round thought. But if I'm Minnesota, I definitely try and hang on to him and I run it to its course. I mean, if JJ sits he sits. I mean you have a proven guy, a guy who's proving it on the field as opposed to an unproven rookie who's coming off of the knee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would probably franchise him. And I agree with you. We brought this up years ago that the agents had to come up with a middle ground here. It was not we got to get sixty million or fifty five million, like you had to be smart, and Baker Mayfield's agent was smart. You're getting paid, you're playing well, You're going to be in the playoffs. He'll get commercial endorsement like it. I just don't want Sam to price himself out of a great situation that he has with the Vikings.
Speaker 14: I think what Sam, and it seems Sam's a smart person. He also realizes what he has with Minnesota and if you get offered now again there's a lot of money and a little money depending on your preference of what you get offered.
Speaker 3: But what he has with Kevin O'Connell, make no mistake about it.
Speaker 14: Kevin O'Connell call him plays and the offense that he has is definitely helping to his success. While he's playing great, there are other factors involved and Kevin O'Connell is one of them, So you have to think, do I go to take more money and go to a lesser coach and lesser offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this isn't a quarterback heavy draft as well, so you know, I mean, this is the right place at the right time. Unless Sam Donald. If they would lose Sunday night and they go on the road and they play Tampa and they bow out or play the Rams and bow out, I wonder if that would have any impact on Sam Donald's future.
Speaker 14: Well, I think it'll be on how Sam plays. Right right now, the offense is humming the defense, while the defense is fourth worse than giving up pass yards, are fourth best in giving up points, and that's the most important thing, how many points that you give up. So I think it would depend on how he plays, even if they were to bow out early.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the Lions. The pressure on the Lions to win, to be the number one seed, to get a bye week and have home field advantage and the better chance to extend your season and then get some of these injured players back. When you're doing a game like can you ask these questions of Dan Campbell or somebody with the Lions when you're doing the broadcast where they'll give you a little more information.
Speaker 14: Sure, you could ask, but they're not really gonna give quite honestly. I mean they're going to talk around it, and I think one of the most important players. Quite honestly, I'm concerned more for the defenses, especially Detroit's defense in these games. Both these offenses are high profile offenses, but the defense is the injuries Detroit has had. Now they have Alexanzeloni that the linebacker broke us forearm, miss the last six games. He's in the twenty one day window to come back, and he's practicing this week. But the thought is Dan Campbell said it was an eight week injury and it'll be seven weeks this Sunday. So do you bring him back early because they need him, especially in defensive pass coverage. They need him, But do you risk him re injuring it and being out for the playoffs or just trying to get the job done without him and still get the number one seed. But if you get the number five seed, at least you're still in the playoffs and he has another week to rest his forum. Those are kind of the decisions that they have to make.
Speaker 2: He's my Goliic, co host of Gojo and Golick on DraftKings Network. You're a Notre Dame fighting Irish last night. Let's look at like a bigger picture here with the nil transfer portal where Georgia wasn't Georgia like they had been before. Alabama is not Alabama, Clemson is not Clemson. And I don't know if this is a one off MIC or is it because maybe the playing field is leveling and talent is dispersed and you're not stockpiling three running backs at Georgia or you know, five defensive lineman at Alabama. Is this a one off? Or do you think we're peeking into the future.
Speaker 14: No, I think we're peeking into the future for guys that are sitting. I mean Gunner Stockton, the backup quarterback, is a rarity. He's with the program for three years, right and kind of was waiting his turn. Normally you don't see that, you see a guy transfer. So no, I think this is kind of the new era of college football. We saw the portal opened a few Mondays ago and within a week there was over two thousand players in the portal. So this is the new college football. It's just a matter how much you want to use it, like Dabosweeney has not used it a lot. Marcus Freeman said Notre Dame will always minor in transfers. They won't major in transfers like they were already talking about next year. They won't go to a transfer quarterback. They had Sam Hartman now Riley Leonard, but now they'll use one of their younger quarterbacks. At least that's what they said. We'll see if they stay with it. But overall, I do think we had forty three different starting quarterbacks in FBS through the portal last year and I think that's going to continue.
Speaker 2: See Notre Dame has figured it out. Though they bring in Sam Hartman, they bring in Riley Leonard. That seems to be the round to go instead of saying, now I'm going to raise an eighteen year old here.
Speaker 3: It does. But I think they have CJ.
Speaker 14: Carr, who they really really like, and it seems like they're going to give him a chance.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 14: That's not to say if there's a quarterback that they think fits their system that pops up in the portal that they won't still go for, because you know what, the way it is now with the portal, you're playing year to year, You're not playing for three years down the road.
Speaker 2: Is Notre Dame likable suddenly?
Speaker 14: Well, I think Marcus Freeman is likable, and I think that makes Notre Dame likable. He's the face of the program. Brian Kelly was this kind of this gruff guy who changed kind of his added wood halfway through when when people were tired of him turning purple on the sideline and yelling and it seemed like he was always yelling or mad. And Marcus Freeman is young, he's good looking, he's a great recruiter. Players love him, So I think people start to like because there's a listen. There's always people that are gonna hate Notre Dame. But I do think that he brings up the the the rating, the Q ratings on Notre Dame because of Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 2: But the fan base. When Brian Kelly left because he wanted to try to win national titles at LSU, was there an outcry of you know, how dare you leave Notre.
Speaker 14: They were they were surprised that a coach left Notre Dame, because normally a coach would leave Notre Dame by retiring or being fired, never left voluntarily, so I think they were they didn't really miss a beat. They didn't really miss Brian Kelly, even though Brian Kelly's the winning his coach in Notre Dame history. You know, beat out New Rockney. I mean, so that's something. There's something to be said for that. But no, they really didn't. Didn't really bad an eye that he left. They were a little disgruntled that he chose to leave, and now it's kind of biting him. I mean, he left thinking he'd had better opportunity at LSU, and here's a Notre Dame in the semi. So yeah, there wasn't there wasn't too much. Too much Oh no, what are we going to do now when he left?
Speaker 2: Who's the best team left in the final four?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean the way Ohio State's playing.
Speaker 14: If Ohio State plays the way they play against Tennessee, UH and Oregon, I don't know who's going to beat them.
Speaker 2: I mean it makes you go back to the Michigan game, like, how do you get that's coaching to me? That your game plan you can accidentally score three touchdowns with that offense.
Speaker 3: It is stunning.
Speaker 14: Now, Michigan always has a very, very tough defense. I'll give them that, but they don't really have an offense. They rely on the running game so much. That was a stunning, stunning loss and really put Ryan Day's head on the chopping block. But he is more than making up for it. I mean, they're not just winning, they're blowing teams out. They're so explosive on offense, they're so stifling on defense. So they're playing the best right now. I think it'll be Notre Dame and Ohio State in the title game, which would be interesting for Marcus Freeman since that's where he went to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is Ryan Days? Is he still on the hot seat if he loses this game?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 14: Dan That that is a great question because it's weighed so heavily losing to Michigan. Then it's like, Okay, you lost to Michigan, but hey, we'll take a national title over overbeating over losing to Michigan. But if you fall short of that, I think he's safe. I think the two blowout wins saved his job, if it truly it was in the If he had lost the first game, I think there certainly would have been some cries for it, but I think he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: But if we didn't have this expanded playoff format, Ryan Day, is he still coaching Ohio State?
Speaker 3: Probably not because they don't make the final four?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I would if they don't.
Speaker 14: If they didn't make the final four and lost to Michigan for a fourth raight year, I would say he'd be gone because so much is put on that. But now that it is expanded and he has a chance to make up for which he is in spades, I think it'll save his job.
Speaker 2: Good to chat with you again. Thank you, Mike, you got it.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 2: It's big Mike Golig And he's the co host of Gojo and Golick on DraftKings Network. Sneaking a Phone Caller two and let's start with Jonathan in New Orleans. Hey Jonathan, Hey Dan, how'll be going to turn good?
Speaker 6: Second?
Speaker 8: Tom long com thanks for taking my callsh to My nine year old son is in the other room watching on Peacock and it's excited to see here the call, but too shy to come say hello. But anyway, those calling, I've read two books from authors you've had on the show. It takes What It Takes by Trevor Moad in The System Jeff Benedict both amazing reads. And I'm just curious if you knew of any books out there being written or currently available discussing the current NIL landscape that are similar in contact to the fourmentioned books.
Speaker 2: I have not, Jonathan, I don't know if there's a big market for that. You know, we talk NIL, but I don't know unless there's gory details there of you know that that's what I would want to read. But it's changing so fast, so you could start to write something NIL by the time you publish it, it might be obsoleep.
Speaker 12: Yes, Mark, I'm currently reading that book, The System by Jeff benedictt Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is so good.
Speaker 12: It goes into detail about every aspect that makes college football run, from the hostesses, you know, the co eds that host him, to Mac Brown's right hand man, to the boosters. He goes into great detail about every single aspect that makes college football run.
Speaker 2: Some of the stories about the hostesses like yes, and he goes into it yes yeah, like yeah, pull.
Speaker 4: There was a book years ago called The Courting of Marcus Dupree, this famous high school running back Mississippi and it talks about all the recruiting stories, Billy Simms coming to his high school. That's a classic college football book.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so much that went on. And I'd mentioned this before. Somebody I knew actually played against I went to Kentucky and knew nothing about horse racing. They went to the track and went with a booster, and he just said, what's your favorite numbers? And he told him his favorite numbers. And all I know is this guy came back over the summer with a Mercedes Benz, a two seater, and we were like, many treating you well. He said, yeah, I went to the to the race track. I'm like, all right, I didn't know you knew anything about horse raising. Go I I don't. I don't know anything you said. I just had favorite numbers. Let's take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, we'll go out to the Tregger Girls. Last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow or I should say Monday.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: My thanks to Tyler. Tyler did a great job, whipped up a batch of Tariokee chicken stirfry spring rolls, and man it hits the spot. Good stuff, Tyler, thank you. Let's get to rhyme time, because it's really important that Fritzie gets this in first one of the year. I'd forgotten about it, and I, of course him trying to be a new person, a better person in the new year and say nicer things to Todd and this meal, this tariokei chicken sturfry in spring rolls is because you love it.
Speaker 3: I do love it. Yes, I'm very happy guy.
Speaker 2: All Right, how do we play rime time?
Speaker 10: I'm going to give you two clues and the answers rhyme with one another. Okay, for example, m VP Tonight Show, m v P Tonight Show, Marvin Alan Follon exactly, that's how we do. Josh Allen, Jimmy Irish head roadkill, Irish head road kill, like the head coach of the fighting.
Speaker 2: Irish Marcus Carcass.
Speaker 10: Marcus Carcass is exactly what.
Speaker 7: I don't think anyone who's gonna get that.
Speaker 13: Marcus Carcass is.
Speaker 10: Malcontent Van dy j malcontent Van dy j current NBA malcontent, Vandy J. Butler, Vanderbilt quarterback back in the day, color Butler, color Butler, Cutlers. What we were looking for all Miss Slinger mall cop Oh, Miss Slinger mall cop Dart.
Speaker 3: Blard, Look at you guys.
Speaker 10: You guys are crazy. Buffs Passer over the top play by play. Buffs Passer, over the top, play by play.
Speaker 2: Carlin.
Speaker 3: Buffs QB.
Speaker 2: Shaudor Sanders and over.
Speaker 3: The top play by play.
Speaker 10: Sometimes it gets a little criticism, gets a little too excited. That would be chadour tesitur.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna taking I feel.
Speaker 13: A little bit of a stress.
Speaker 10: You did say it, but okay, Bengle journalism honor Bengal.
Speaker 2: Burrow, Edward R.
Speaker 10: Murrow, Bama deceased, Bama deceased, died exactly. Skin growth Texas head, A skin growth Texas head.
Speaker 2: Uh something Sarkesian.
Speaker 10: That would be a lesions.
Speaker 3: That's what we got them all there.
Speaker 10: Stolely Hanka treat Stolely Honica.
Speaker 2: Treat vodka.
Speaker 10: Uha damn domesticates Franklin domesticates Franklin to domesticate the animal would be two penn State's a clue on the right side domesticates.
Speaker 3: Franklin Tame James, James James.
Speaker 10: Is exactly and the last one here is retired Blue Jay coffee drink maker. Retired Blue Jay coffee drink maker. Like Starbucks, they're one strike.
Speaker 3: Recently.
Speaker 10: Jose the first name of that retired Blue Jay who makes the coffee Canseco.
Speaker 12: We were looking for Barista, Bautista, Artista, Barista.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what we're looking for, Bautista.
Speaker 2: And that is time. There you go, Ola, rude, we are screwed. Yeah, Asian turkeys. How about this day in sports history?
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 4: In nineteen forty one, the NCAA made rules that you could sub freely in college Footballneenix.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame did that last night against Georgia. Yes you are.
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty two, work began on the Houston Astrodome, and in nineteen eighty three, twenty door set of the Cowboys made the longest run in scrimmage in NFL history, ninety nine yards. The Cowboys only had ten men on the field.
Speaker 2: On this date, two thousand and three. We were on the sidelines watching this one. Ohio State upsets Miami double overtime to win the National championship in the Fiesta Bowl on the State Oh seven. Nick Saban resigned as the head coach of the Dolphins to become the head coach at Alabama. I think he said he wasn't going anywhere, right, and then he was. Let's see nineteen twenty the Curse of the Bambino. They sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars in cash, and not to forget the three hundred and fifty thousand dollars loan, and that launched the eighty four year Curse of the Bambino. Fund of results of the Pole question see no connor.
Speaker 11: Oh man, we had a couple of doozies up there today. Let's see who are you rooting for to win the college football playoff right now? Notre Dame's got about thirty nine percent of that vote. And are the four best teams in college football playing in the semifinals right now?
Speaker 13: Fifty eight percent of the audiences? Yes, yes they are.
Speaker 2: Kevin in Oregon, Hi, Kevin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I'm the guy called in a told you that I lost my patient. I'm the surgeon. Anyway, I was told I'm talking about Notre Dame. I was told you do a spot on imitation of lou holes.
Speaker 2: They put the pea shown shame way we do.
Speaker 5: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So Kevin is the surgeon who said that he wanted to go out and tell a family that they, you know, he lost their he lost his patient and they they would have reacted like he died. And he was like, no, no, I can't find him. I don't know where he is. He's walking around.
Speaker 3: Got the room number that we put him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I said, oh my god, you could never do that to a family. So that was that was Kevin. Sense you humor, doc and Laguna beach I doc.
Speaker 9: Hey, DP, Happy New Year. I hate starting in New Year with us. Stay in a lane and stay in your lane. But I have to reference my biblical mentor that's going to come back into town from Austria tomorrow and that would be Shane Irving. But you said Denny Hamlin and JC were only two races from the dead, but that Shane Irving will confirm that there was actually twelve race in the dead in the Bible.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I want to ask Shay about the other people who came back from the dead. I mean, I was just talking to NFL players. I think I've come back. DeMar Hemley Shayan. Irving is in Vienna, by the way, for the holidays.
Speaker 13: Getting cured off the wild turkey or is he I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is that a family vacation. Yeah. I talked to him yesterday and he said him and the roommate are getting along a lot better. And uh, but he's going to be coming home from Vienna.
Speaker 13: They had to go to Neutral Territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. He's part of the Gambling podcast, available at Danpatrick dot com. Todd, would you learn today?
Speaker 3: The week eighteen point spreads are whack?
Speaker 10: According to you, including the Browns of twenty point underdogs that the.
Speaker 2: Ravens come on Seaton. What did you learn, Dan? Or Alaski train guy Marvin?
Speaker 3: The Jaguars have two Pro bowlers, Paul.
Speaker 2: People like Notre Dame In an emergency. You want rapid radios, instant push to talkualkie talkies, clear national LTE coverage, one touch communication, peace of mind for connecting with families in an emergency. Go to rapid Radios dot com. Up to sixty percent off, free shipping, great to be back. Thanks for joining us. Enjoy the football. We'll talk to you on Monday for Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paula, Yours truly in the back room, guys, I'm Dan Patrick.