Speaker 1: Welcome back to all the Smoke dugout.
Speaker 2: Coming to you from the twenty twenty six All Star MLB All Star Game in Philadelphia. We had a good first sit down. I'm excited about this one because I just love learning and hearing stories. Obviously, our next guest is no shortage of these stories. Current president of the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, one of the finest museums in the country, and we have one of the best storytellers here to tell us about it. Welcome to the show, Bob Kendrick, appreciate your time, man Man Madis.
Speaker 3: It is so good to see you both. Fee say thank y'all so much for having me.
Speaker 1: On the show. Thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: So you were just kind of breaking down to see why and I the plans obviously, the museum is currently in Kansas City, and you your hopes are to raise a certain amount of money and build build a brand new one, build a Brandon talk to us about that.
Speaker 4: You know, it's an incredible story for a little museum that no one gave any chance of succeeding.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 4: We started this project in a little, tiny, one room office a fraction of this area that we're sitting in and guys like the late great Buck O'Neill, the founder of the Negro League Spacebar Museum, and other local Negro leaguers there in Kansas City literally took turns paying the monthly rent to keep their little office open and with it our hopes and dreams of one day building a facility that would pay rifle tribute to not only one of the greatest chapters in baseball history, but what now, thousands of people discovered one of the greatest.
Speaker 3: Chapters in American history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the rich, compelling, inspirational story of the Negro Leagues. And so we moved into our current home in November of nineteen ninety seven. So we went from a one room office to about ten thousand square feet of exhibit space. So it's not an overwhelmingly large footprint. Oh, but within that footprint is a lot of information and it's beautifully curated. And of course, along that journey we became recognized as America's National Negro League Baseball Museum, as deemed and designated so about the United States Congress in two thousand and six. But we've outgrown that home and we need to grow and now it's the perfect time for us to do so. So now we're embarking on what I call the nation's first Negro league's campus as the gateway into historic eighteenth and Vine, which in its heyday, oh Man as recognized street cross section as there was anywhere in the world.
Speaker 3: It was a.
Speaker 4: Cultural crossroads where jazz and baseball intersected. And so the building that the Negro Leagues were established in was an old YMCA called the Pasale Ymca. We've been steadily renovating that historic landmark that is going to become the Buck O'Neill Education and Research Center, and then we're going to build a new thirty five plus thousand square foot museum attached to that historic landmark. And we've also announced our plans to work with a developer to create the Marriotte Tribute Hotel that will be called the Pennant that will be built into.
Speaker 3: The new museum.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be a dynamic, block long campus dedicated to the history of the Negro Leagues and social history as well.
Speaker 3: So you can see.
Speaker 4: Why I'm so excited about having to raise about fifty million dollars.
Speaker 3: It's coming along.
Speaker 4: You know, We've got our full team now pretty much a symbol, and it's just amount of now getting out there knocking on doors, raising these funds.
Speaker 3: We'll get there, you know, there's no question. For me.
Speaker 4: There's always a sense of urgency. You want to do it sooner then later. So if everything goes well, the stars continue to align, we hope to break ground first quarter of next year and then it'll take about eighteen to twenty months to build this. So I'm looking forward to having both of you in Kansas City for the opening of this museum.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: For me, you know, when I was playing, we met a long time ago, vib and every year that I would go play the Royals, it was pretty much mandatory for me, Yeah, that I had to go in take a toward the museum. If you had any young players that hadn't had the opportunity and the big leagues yet, you're gonna take them to a soulful spot yep, and you're gonna take them over to the Negro League Museum and allow them to go in there. And what started off as something for myself and even younger players as like a mandatory stop in that we had to do. Once you get inside the Negro League Museum. You almost get lost. You get lost, like seeing the stories, reading, like looking at the displays, all the exhibits. It's a beautiful place and it really tells us about our history in the game. And you know, I'm a part of the East West Classics CCNI. We have the East West Classic that we play in Rickwood Field. We had the Rickwood Game a couple of years ago in Birmingham as well, and that was my first time having an opportunity to seeing the Negro leaguers that are still around. Yes, you know it's not a lot, but the ones who were here, they were able to show up and you're able to have those conversations with them and talking about their style of play. How do you see that style of play from the negro leagues translated into the today.
Speaker 4: Well, our game is starting to move toward that, slowly but surely. See, but the negro leagues played it a little differently. Yeah, Major League baseball in that era was a base to base kind of game.
Speaker 3: So you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You got on base, somebody moved you over to second, and then see why the big hitters came up and drove you in. That wrong with that, But in the Negro leagues, the pace of the game was so much faster. So they gonna drop that bunt, they gonna get on, take that walk, they gonna steal second, they're gonna steal third, and if you weren't too smartness, they were stilling home. And so the pace of the game was so fast. But that's why it drew both a black and white fan base, because they were seeing a style of play that was just polar opposite to Major League baseball. Buck O'Neill was saying, you couldn't go to the concession stand because you might miss something you ain't never seen before. And it's really interesting because the Major League is kind of frowned on that style. They would say, oh, well, they just show voting again, as Buck would say, number.
Speaker 3: One, if you got something to show, show it, show it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then he would also say, it's only showboating when you can't do it.
Speaker 6: I like that, But every time I talk to you, Bob, it's so much joy that just exudes from me when you're talking about it. And you know, there is a tough history behind all of this, and I know we're gonna have some real conversations today, but I'm curious being at the Negro Museum on a daily basis, talking about this on a daily basis, how do you balance out the tough history that's associated with black players not being allowed in the major leagues, but also just celebrating the joy of the game and the great things that the Negro leagues brought.
Speaker 4: Chris, I'll never forget walking into what was then that one room office in nineteen ninety three. When I got involved with the museum as a volunteer and as a baseball fan, I was just completely blown away by how little I knew about the history of this game and it's connected into the history of this country, and I became engrossed in it. I wanted to learn as much as I could. Didn't want to keep it to myself. I wanted everyone else to feel the same way that I felt about this. And then I started to meet those players, and it was their spirits that grabbed hold of you, because I think you both would agree with me. Had they've been bitter about the things that transpired in their lives as they were trying to play baseball in this country, every one of us would have said, you had every right to be bitter. But to a player that I've ever met, not one of them harbored any bitterness or spoke any ill will toward anyone who may have attempted to perpetrate something against them. And I found that to be an incredibly endearing spirit, particularly in such a cynical world in which we live today. And to be honest, y'all, it took me a minute to figure out, Wait a minute, now, how could you not be bitter? Well, they were never going to be bitter about baseball because you couldn't convince them that they weren't playing the best baseball that was being played. See, everybody thought the best baseball played in the major leagues. See, but they knew how good their league was. They knew how good they were, and quite frankly, the major leaguers knew how good they were because they played countless exhibition games against one another, and the record books bear out that the Negro League teams or the Black All Star teams won the majority of those head they had matchups. So they weren't going to be bitter about baseball?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Did they like the things that were happening to them as they traveled the highways and byways of this country. You guys were both athletes, professional athletes. You know how this is. You ride into a towel. They could fill up the ballpark, but then yet not be able to get a meal from the same fans who had just cheered them, or not have a place to stay, so they would sleep on the bus, eat their peanut butter and crackers until they could get to a place that might offer them basic services. But what I share with my guests when they come to visit the Negro League Baseball Museum, what you have to admire here is they never allowed that set of social circumstances to kill their love of the game. Their spirits were such that if I've got to sleep on the bus, and if I've got to eat my peanut butter and crackers, I'm gonna keep playing ball. And really that's the spirit that you feel when you walk through this museum. It is not a woe is Mine kind of story. These athletes never cried about the social injustice.
Speaker 3: They went out and did something about it. You won't let me.
Speaker 4: Play with you, I'll create my own. And there's something very American about that spirit. So America was trying to prevent them from sharing in the joys of its national pastime. The American spirit is what allowed them to persevere and prevail. So we treat the story for exactly what it is, a celebration. Granted, it is the celebration of the power of the human spirit to persevere and prevail.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 6: Let's let's dig into you know, the pioneer, your mentor O'Neill a little bit, his influence on you that you know have given him a lot of credit for their careers as well, because he was, you know, a player and also ended up became becoming a scout for the Cubs. Tell us about your experiences with Buck.
Speaker 4: I cannot believe they paid me to hang out with What a blessing it has been for me And people think I said and just, but in our iss true. I talked to Bunk almost every single day. It would almost be possible impossible not to think about Buck and I talked to Bunk almost every single day. Now he didn't already talk back to me, but outside of my family, he has had as much influence on my life as anyone. He was one of the finest human beings to ever walk the face of this earth, who just happened to be a great baseball player, but it was those humanly qualities that he possessed that endeared him to so many people. And I'm there to witness this Chris everywhere we went. If he didn't know you, he wanted to know you. The man I never met a stranger in his life. Yeah, And we would walk through airports and he'd go over introduce himself. My name is Buck O'Neil, what's yours, And then they would engage into a conversation. And by the time we're leaving to go to our respective gates, they were sharing and embrace as if they'd known each other all their lives. And I'm witnessing this everywhere we went, and I tell people he had a certain intanis that would be on par with what we see with the Mother Teresa, A Gandhi, a doctor Martin Luther King Junior.
Speaker 3: The ability to see.
Speaker 4: The good in everybody, sometimes even when they weren't good. Buck saw the good in them. And of course he is the guy who really told us about the heroes of the Negro Leagues. His appearance in the Ken Burns epic documentary on the history of baseball captivated America was eighty two years old when he premiered on the Ken Burns documentary, and he literally stole the show. You had this very charming gentle man who was telling these wonderful baseball stories to baseball fans and they had not heard them before, and he was doing it with a twinkle in his eye and a smile that lit up the screen. And America fell in love with Buck. As I mentioned, he was eighty two years old at that time. The Good Lord blessed them to live another twelve years where he was literally gallivanting across this country preaching the gospel of the Negro Leagues and the virtues of his museum to any and everybody who would listen. And I guess you could say I was hanging from the hem of his garment. And now I get to preach the gospel of the Negro Leagues and the virtues of Bucks Museum to.
Speaker 3: Any and everybody who listened. So his influence was tremendous.
Speaker 6: He was just a baseball lifer, yes, and loved the game so much that you know, he was a scout. So you're talking about you know, Lou Brock, You're talking about Lee Smith, Joe Carter.
Speaker 5: Is there something to.
Speaker 6: It or is it needed to have black scouts that are going into black communities to scout and draft players.
Speaker 3: I think you have to have it now.
Speaker 4: I couldmend Major League Baseball the Players Association for what they've done, the programs that they've implemented over the recent years, and they're starting to pay dividends. But if Buck was with us, he tell you his role as a scout. The other scouts didn't want to come into those areas, so he could go get this talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now he could go get this talent and brought a lot of great talent into the major leagues. Some of it was talent that others probably would have bypassed. Yeah, and so I think you need more African American scouts. What I am excited about is that these programs that have been implemented by Baseball and the Players Association are starting to give opportunities for kids to play this game, but not only play the game, be seen playing these games, and this being evidenced by the number of African American kids who are being drafted over recent years, which gives me great hope that we will see the pendulum shift the other way. You know, I say this, and I say it with no disrespect to anyone. No one played this game better than we did. Now they may have played it just as well, but no one played the game of baseball better than we did. We could play this game. We have a proud legacy in this game, and even at the Negro League's Baseball Museum, we have a tremendous interest in making sure that urban kids have an opportunity to play this game, to dream about the possibilities that come along with this great sport. And we do think that by embracing the history of the Negro Leagues, it gives them a sense of self. They get a chance to see people who look like them who played this game as well as anyone ever played this game.
Speaker 2: Obviously a heavy conversation that since we touched in this space of baseball was obviously the decline of the black player and the black star. I grew up seeing people who look like me, and that's why I played baseball for so long until I got too tall and stead of playing other space. But we've talked to a few of our guests from the past. We want you to take a couple look at a couple of these clips and then we'll discuss after you see them.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's just go back to the beginning.
Speaker 7: When you talk about Japan, you talk about Dominic and you talk about Puerto Rico, You could talk about any country you have to pay a posting fee to even entertain talking to you that players. When Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, where was the posting fee? So now there's no more Negro league. So now let's start going back to tech man. That's making me think was that done on purpose?
Speaker 5: See?
Speaker 7: Now what we have to go back to? You See, so that's the problem with this whole thing. If we had something to go back to, then it wouldn't be so stressful trying to get into something.
Speaker 1: So you hear Gary speak on the options your thoughts.
Speaker 4: He's right, no, No, there's absolutely something to what he is saying. Because when we had the Negro leagues, what do you have And when you see these other countries, whether it is Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, they all have their own professional baseball leagues. So yes, there are opportunities for those kids to leave and come over here and play, but they have a league that they can play in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, when we had the negro leagues, you had that same kind of system in place, and because of segregation, it didn't matter how much money Satchel Page made a buck O'Neill or Josh Gibson or cool Papa belt Man. They lived in the same neighborhood I lived in. They worshiped in the same churches that I worshiped in, They ate in the same restaurants, They got the haircut in the same barbershop. So not only did I idolize them for their great athletic ability, I idolized them because I watched their behavior as men, uh huh, and they wanted so kids wanted to emulate them. They wanted to be the next Satchel Page, the next cool popa Bell. Now the proliferation of the other sports have certainly had its impact because there are so many opportunities now for a kid to make a living in a professional sport, and so we started to lose some of those great athletes to those other sports. But I do think the fact that you had your own league, and even in Japan, same thing. Even though we're getting some kids who are coming over from Japan. And what's the other common thread to those countries that I just mentioned. All of them were impacted by Negro League's baseball. Yeah, Necro League players were oftentimes the first Americans to play in many Spanish speaking countries, and fellas, when we went there, we were treated like heroes. So now you're going to stay in the finest hotels, eat in the fire and its restaurants that those countries had to offer, come back home and be treated like a second class citizen. So, as a result, a lot of Negro League players would call those Spanish speaking countries home for one simple reason. In those countries, they weren't black baseball players, they were just baseball players.
Speaker 3: But of course in.
Speaker 4: This country, the Afro Latino athlete couldn't play in the major leagues either, so they found sanctuary playing in the Negro leagues. The Negro Leagues would take the American brand of baseball into Canada, and of course it would be the Negro Leagues that would be the first to go over to play in Japan. We go to Japan in nineteen twenty seven, seven years before Babe Ruth, and as all Americans go to Japan, the Negro leagues were there a team called the Philadelphia Royal Giants who would go to Japan play a twenty four game exhibition series. They go twenty three zero to one on the tour. The tour was so successful that seven years later Babe Ruth and his all the Maria Mercans would get invited over. And I always preface that with my visitors because, as you both know, when we look at our game today from a global perspective, there are so many ethnicities that make up a major league roster on any given day.
Speaker 3: Well, at the heart of it were the negro leagues. They helped make the game the global game that it is today. They were just never given credit for it. Quite frankly, the negro leagues didn't care what color you were. All they kid was can you play? That's it and if you can play, you can play. And so the loss of the negro leagues had a detrimental impact on what we now see in that decline, But it also had a detrimental impact on black economy. Black economy suffered when we lost the negro leagues. I tell people this story is a fascinatingly complicated story. So Jackie's breaking of the color barrier was good for the soul of our country. It moved us in ways socially we never dreamt possible. Not only did he spawn integration in baseball, but he spawned integration in a much broader capacity. All of a sudden, those smaller black owned businesses that had been flourishing because of the success, primarily of black baseball. Wherever you had successful black baseball, you typically had thriving Black economies. All of a sudden, those smaller black owned businesses could no longer compete with those mainstream businesses after they gave access to us. Yeah, and they died right alongside the necro leagues.
Speaker 4: The area that the museum operates historic eighteenth and Fie as prominent as any African American community in the country during that era of segregation. Same thing just absolutely died. The museum comes along years later to be the catalyst to help resurrect that once proud, prominent African American community, which again fills me with great pride to see that the museum has done what Negro League's baseball had done for so many urban communities across this country. But yeah, when you have your own league, got something that people can fall back on, and then you can develop and still get guys over to this country or in this case, into the major leagues.
Speaker 3: So Chef is absolutely right.
Speaker 2: I think some people unless they've really dug into it, and I haven't dug dug into it.
Speaker 1: But I think you made a great point.
Speaker 2: The cultural barrier that Jackie broke helped us in a lot, but was kind of the beginning of the end for Negro league baseball.
Speaker 1: Can you speak to that a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's exactly it. You summed it up beautifully because what happens now is other black and brown players started transitioning out of the major leagues. What happens the black fan base that had been so loyal to the Negro leagues went over to see their backstars because they wanted to see how their great black stars were going. It's a natural curiosity how they're gonna do. Because everybody said this is the best, we want to see how our guys are going to do. They transitioned into the major leagues, and all of a sudden, there was no fan base for the negro leagues.
Speaker 3: There was no replenishing system for the Negro leagues.
Speaker 4: I do think Matt that some Negro League teams thought that they might become a farm team for major league team. It was never going to happen. They had their farm system already in place, and so the Negro leagues just died a slow debt. The teams that were anchored near major league teams, they died almost instantly. When Jackie breaks to color Barrier, my dear friend, the late great Monte Irvin, who could have been the first, as a matter of fact, he was brands.
Speaker 3: Ricky's choice to be the first.
Speaker 4: He played for the Newark Eagles, and he says, the minute that Jackie joins Brooklyn, the fan base that came to watch the Eagle went over to Brooklyn to watch Jackie, and they died almost instantly. And you saw that happen throughout Negro league's baseball. Now, the leagues were able to hang on for thirteen years, but really after nineteen fifty five it was minor league at best.
Speaker 2: I mean similar you see it on the NBA and ABA side, you know, I mean the talent, the flair, the athleticism that the ABA possessed. The NBA is like, we need to get that, we gotta get some of the got to get some of that, and they integrated into the NBA in a similar, similar situation.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that you say that because the legendary Andrew Rube Foster, who started the Negro Leagues in nineteen twenty and absolute baseball savant, I think, the most brilliant baseball mind this sport has ever seen, and no one knows who the heck he is, even though he is rightfully in the shrine in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. But see, Matt, he was thinking what you just mentioned in nineteen twenty. He thought he could create a league that was so dynamic that he would force Major League Baseball's hand to expand. But see, under his model, you would have had black ownership. You'd had black players, black managers, black exegrats, not just the talent, not just the talent.
Speaker 3: So let's think about this.
Speaker 4: There were eight teams that started the Negro Leagues in nineteen twenty. Let's just say they would have taken four, and then you take the talent from the other four and dispersed them into those four teams. You know, major League Baseball they won't none of that too much, so called all the smoke. They didn't want any of that smoke man. That would have been dynamic.
Speaker 5: Think about what that would have turned into now, absolutely.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and you think about it because your parallels are right on point, because that's exactly what happened with the ABA and the NBA.
Speaker 3: The ABA was.
Speaker 4: Still in all this great talent out of college. They playing with the Red, White and Blue ball, they got the three point line, they got the Slam Dark contests, and all of a sudden NBA said, whoa wait a minute, down, we got to do something about this. The same thing happened even prior to that, with the merger of the NFL and the AFA. Same thing, and Rube was thinking this in nineteen twenty. That's how far ahead of himself he was. He was almost right. Instead, baseball got that talent off the field, which ultimately put the Negro Leagues and a lot of Negro League players out of business because that older player had no place to go.
Speaker 2: One more, Howard Bryant I sat down with him and this is what he had to say.
Speaker 1: The black player became.
Speaker 8: Ten twenty five percent in the game because starting with the Negro League, started with starting with Jackie, black players were the cheapest commodity you could get. You know, Jackie signed for five thousand dollars, Willie May signed for five thousand dollars, Hank Aaron signed for six thousand dollars. And so for a time, those players were the cheapest commodity.
Speaker 3: You could get great.
Speaker 1: Players at a low price.
Speaker 8: Baseball as a sport, Baseball is a white suburban game reinforced by foreign labor. That's the sport. It's not an American game per se. It's a white, suburban American game. But thirty five percent of the game is Latino. And so when you look for players, where do you find them? Where does baseball look for players? They've got facilities in the Dominican all the teams have academies down there, right, and then the American players, where do they get those players?
Speaker 1: College?
Speaker 8: College is one percent black, so the black players in college are scholarship players. Baseball's a non revenue sport, so.
Speaker 2: It's by design, I think to Chris's point earlier, he brought up the black scouts going into these inner cities and finding these athletes or diamonds in the rough so to speak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I think Howard raises a legitimate point as well. But you know, I find it entry that one of the little known facts relative to the Negro leagues is that some forty percent of his athletes had some level of college education.
Speaker 3: Interesting, less than five percent.
Speaker 4: Of those who played in the major leagues at that same time had any college education. For the simple reason then the majors didn't want you to go to college. They got you out of high school, put you into their farm system, and then you work your way into the major leagues. Well, the Negro leagues didn't have that kind of sophisticated farm system.
Speaker 3: So what did we do.
Speaker 4: We trained on the campuses of historically black colleges and universities. They would then play those black college baseball teams, and then they recruited a great deal of their workforce from those HBCUs, which is why they had a disproportionate number of college educated athletes in comparison to the major leagues. Yet the prevailing belief was we weren't smart enough to play this game. Now, I don't know when you had to be a Rhodes scholar to play baseball, but that seemed to be the prevailing belief when it was so far from being the truth. Buck O'Neill went to Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, Florida. The great Monte Irvin went to Lincoln University right here in Philadelphia. Joe Black went to Morgan State University, where he would go on to become the first African American executive of a major transportation company, Greyhound.
Speaker 3: The list goes on and on.
Speaker 4: Larry Doby started off at Long Island College, eventually went to Virginia Union. The list goes on and on of these scholar athletes, Yeah and so, but how it's right. It was cheap labor, exceptional talent that they were paying pennies on the dollar for it. And Jackie Robinson didn't necessarily he wasn't necessarily signed away from the Kansaity monarchs. He was taken away from the Kansity monarchs because Kensiton Monarx's owner never got paid for Jackie Robert. Now, when they came to get Larry Adobe, Bill Veck offered f manally five thousand dollars for Larry Adobe. Businus Manly writes him back. She said, now, mister Veck, you know, if Larry Adobe was white, he'd be worth well over one hundred thousand dollars. But if you think this sum is fair because she knew she wasn't going to be able to keep fighting them all. She fought him off of Monte Irvin, but she knew she wasn't gonna keep being able to fight him off. There was blood in the water and the sharks were coming, so she knew this. She said, well, if you think this is fair, I have no other recourse but to accept it. Bill Veack, who had a heart for this, writes her back and says, I'll tell you what. I'll give you another five thousand dollars, and I'll give Larry five thousand dollars signing bonus if he makes the team. He gets Larry Dodbe for fifteen thousand dollars. Howard mentioned some of the other great talent, Henry Aaron, Willie Mays, Yeah, Monte Irvin, these are hall of famous that the guy for pennies on the dollar. So they siphon all that great talent out of the Negro leagues. And as I mentioned, there was no replenishing system. Yeah, so it was easier to go set a site to another country where there are no labor laws. You don't have to wait until that kid is eighteen years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that investment is smaller.
Speaker 1: The baseball season heating up.
Speaker 2: We're thrilled to be partnering with DraftKings to keep you connected to every single play no matter your location. DraftKings Sports is now available in all fifty states, bringing the ultimate game day experience straight to your fingertips from California to Texas to Florida. You mope miss a single matchup or highlight enjoy the seamless experience tracking.
Speaker 1: All the games you love.
Speaker 2: Wherever you're watching, You're always in the game and fully connected with one app, and DraftKings has a great offer. New DraftKings customers use code dugout and spend five bucks and get one hundred and fifty in total bonus rewards paid out within fourteen days including all markets.
Speaker 1: Remember that's code dugout. Draft Kings Crown is yours. You mentioned something interesting, were.
Speaker 2: The thought of not being educated enough or have enough to play ball, But then you look at twenty twenty six where Jalen Brown's intelligence is being used against them. Yeah, there's always going to be some kind of it or something to not be done or black athletes.
Speaker 4: Well, Jackie Robinson walks into a clubhouse where he was likely the most intellectual being in that clubhouse, having gone to Pasadena City College. And of course you see il like and yet he was subjected to this incredibly harsh treatment. But part of the reason I think that sports has been such a tremendous barrier breaker in our society, it is that one place where we get to interact, we see each other up close and personal, because more times than not, what drives our opinion about people is what we heard. Somebody heard I was this way, someone heard you was this way.
Speaker 3: But once you get in that locker, get to see, once you get in that clubhouse, you.
Speaker 4: Get to see, and all of a sudden, all these white kids, who primarily were from the South, they're saying, wait a minute, he is nothing like.
Speaker 5: Like I was told he's supposed to do.
Speaker 4: And then Jackie started to help Brooklyn win, and all of a sudden, it didn't matter what color he was. But that's the beauty of sports. Sports has been our society's greatest barrier breaker. Sports and entertainment. Yeah and so, and even though it's had his own issues within the realm, it has kind of led by example throughout the history of this country.
Speaker 5: And its integrated way more than sports.
Speaker 6: Its integrated hospitals and integrated school like, it's all stems from sport on how integration ends up traveling throughout the country.
Speaker 4: And baseball was at the forefront of that because it was our national pastime. Basketball and football were seen more or less as a collegiate sports. So if you were black and going to make a living in a professional sport in this country at.
Speaker 3: That time, you played baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jackie Robinson's weekend sport was baseball's baseball. Yeah, much better basketball, football, track athlete, some say an even better tennis player. But that's how you hear me describe the players from the Negro Leagues as some of the greatest athletes to ever play baseball because they could have played anything anything.
Speaker 2: Nineteen forty two Satral page first Josh Gibson in the World Series.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about that epic.
Speaker 3: That's epic, man.
Speaker 4: You talking about two of the biggest and brightest stars, not just in the negro Leagues period.
Speaker 3: We're talking about on the face of the planet at that time.
Speaker 4: And they had been teammates on teams prior to them becoming rivals. Because Josh is now playing the Homestead Grades Satcheo's with the great Kansas City Monarchs, that nineteen forty two Monarch team, it ranks up there as one of the greatest baseball teams of all time, not just black baseball teams, because they had a dominant pitching staff led by Sachel Page Hall of famer the great Hilton Smith, perhaps the greatest pitcher you've never heard of. Hilton Smith did something that I don't think we will ever see done in the game again. He won twenty games or more, twelve consecutive gears.
Speaker 3: At that time.
Speaker 4: He might have been the greatest pitcher in baseball. He just happened to be on the same team with Satchel. And if you only team with Sachel, nobody's paying you're any intention. So when Sachel walked in the room, you knew he was in the room. And if you didn't know he was in the room, he was gonna let you know he was in the room.
Speaker 3: Hilton Smith was.
Speaker 4: The polar opposite, quiet, unassuming, workmanlike, just as lethal. Some say, the greatest curveball the sport has ever seen. My friend Mandy Irvin would say that you could know that his curveball was coming and break on it. Was so sharp you still couldn't hit it. He threw the big twelve, the sixth breaker, and he threw Chris what he called a tight curve ball. He dropped down three quarters. Today you guys would call it the slider. And he threw everything with pinpoint controlled, great fastball. But when he wasn't pitching for the Monarchs, he played the outfield. Had a lifetime batting average nearly three hundred. Tremendous ball player. Hall of Famer, you got Buck O'Neill Hall of Famer, you got Willard Brown, Willart Brown in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Willart Brown was as beloved in Puerto Rico as their native son Roberto Clemente. That's how great Willart Brown was. But on the other side of the legend, mega talent man, you got Gibson and Buck Leonard, the thunder twis. They battened three and four in the lineup the homes. Their grades were prohibited favors to beat my Kansas City Monarchs, they were, and the Monarchs would sweep them in forty two four oh Satchel won three of the games.
Speaker 5: And of course that.
Speaker 4: Was this fascinating that's the epic showdown between Satchel and the great Josh Gibson. As I can hear Buck O'Neill in my ear telling this story, Monarch's winning the game for the two in the bottom of the nine two outs when Satchel gives up a two out triple to a guy named Jerry Benjamin. Threw him a fastball. Jerry Benjamin hit it down the left field, hit the third base bag. Ricochet's down in the left field line. Jerry Benjamin could run pretty good. He gets a stand up triple. Satchel costs time. He motions for Buck to come over. Buckets playing first base for the Monarchs, and of course Satcho had a nickname for everybody. His nickname, famously for Buck O'Neill was Nancy. That's a whole nother story, but anyway, first base said, Nancy, you know what I'm fixing the dude. Fuck Say yes, satche You're gonna get this guy out so we can go back to the hotel. He said, no, Nancy, I'm gonna walk Howard East. I'm gonna walk Buck Leonard, and I'm going to pitch to Josh Gibson, and Buck says, Satchel, don't be facetious. He said, well, you can call it what you want it, but that's what I'm gonna do. So Buck says, he calls time. He motions for the Monarchs manager guy named Frank Doncor to come out.
Speaker 3: He says, Skipper, listen to what this food says he's fixing to do. Well.
Speaker 4: Sachel tells them they're playing in forest Field and Pittsburgh Ballpark full Frank doctor looks around. He said, Buck, you know they all came to see Satchel and Josh. So this is what Sachel wants to do.
Speaker 3: Let him do it. Buck say, okay, Skip is your game. Now.
Speaker 4: Satchel, who had PenPoint control, he rarely walks anyone. He walks Howard Easterly on four straight pitches.
Speaker 3: Now there's a buzz going around in the stadium.
Speaker 5: You're seeing Josh Gibson on deck.
Speaker 4: He walks Buck Leonard on four straight pitches. Now everybody knows what's going down. So now Satchel costs time again, but this time emotions for the Monarch's trainer to come out. Now the trainer is part of the show. The trainer comes out wearing a doctor's smock, and Buck say he has a glass in his hand, and he drops something in the glass and the glass begins to fiz well. He surmises that it's an alca selser. He walks the glass out, he hands it to Satchel. Sachel drinks it down and he lets out a belt. Now he's ready. Josh is standing in that batting circle. He swung a forty ouce forty one inch bat and Buck said that big bat looked like it was six feet long. He said, oh Lord is going down right now. And as Josh is coming to the plate, Sachel is talking to him. He said, Josh, you know, I always thought you were the greatest hitter in the world, and I know I'm the greatest pitcher in the world, and one day we'd.
Speaker 3: Get a chance to settle it. Today it's the day. Now.
Speaker 4: Josh was a very soft spoken, jolly giant of a man. Come on, Sachel, throw the ball. Sachel says, Josh, I ain't gonna try to trick you. I'm gonna throw you three fastballs. Said first pass ball boom felt high, call strike one. Gibson never moves the bat. He said, now, Josh, I'm gonna throw you another fastball, but it's gonna be faster than that other fastball, not a nine mile mile fastball. Call strike two. Josh never moves the bat. He said, Now, Josh, I got you oh in two. You see in the Negro leagues when they got your two strike no ball, Oh baby, theyre gonna knock you down. But Sachel says, Josh, I ain't gonna throw in this smoke at your yoke. I'm gonna throw a pee at your knee. One hundred mile dollars fastball. Call strike three. Josh slams the bat down and discussed Satchel, who stood about six four sixty five Bucks say he stretched out looked like he was seven feet tall. He said, Nancy, nobody, nobody. His Satchel page is fastball.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the very next year, though, Buck said, they were playing a Yankee stadium, and he says Satchel tried to get a fastball past Josh. He said, Josh hitting the ball so hard, you know how the pitcher goes to his follow through, said Sachel never got a chance to come up. Said the ball went right over the top of his cap and landed in monument gardens and Yankee Stadium on the rope, and as Josh is circling the basis. Satchel still down here. He never comes up, and he looks over at first base, said Buck. He says, Nancy A Feller could get killed out here. When you talk about Satchel Page and Josh Gibbson, you're talking about the greatest battery this fort has ever seen.
Speaker 3: And it ain't even close.
Speaker 2: I mean, Gibson, two times triple Crown winner, uh batting average leader, played the last four years with the brain tumor, brain tumor man and unfortunately dies of a stroke at thirty five, but speaks obviously. You spoke to Sachel, speak to Josh's greatness.
Speaker 4: Oh, I wish I could have seen him swing that bat forty forty one inch y and Matt. When you look at the photos of Josh, he ain't choking up. He's got it gripped down below the knob, big massive hands, big powerful forearms, big powerful thighs.
Speaker 1: Told how big was he?
Speaker 3: Six one six six one? But you know who he was built?
Speaker 4: If we wanted to contemporize it, who is built like thinke Bo Jackson.
Speaker 3: And you got Josh Gibson. Wow, Yeah, just.
Speaker 4: Strong and but great eyes. Buck O'Neill would describe Josh in this fashion that he had the eyes of Ted Williams and the power of Babe Ruth rolled into one dynamic package. And I'm like it is today. He didn't strike out a lot. Josh might strike out twenty five thirty times in the season. He put it in play, and he put it in play with a lot of power. The third basement and the shortstop. We're damn there left field. That that was the Negro league version of a shift. They was like, okay, Johnson, if you want a bunnet, you can have.
Speaker 1: No shortage of you know, other characters.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about Papa Bell, Cool Papa Bell, double Double Radcliffe aka the original O Tony oh Man, about their talent.
Speaker 4: You know, cool Papa Bell. His name was James James Thomas Bell. You say that nobody knows who the heck you talking about. You say cool Papa, everybody knows without question, in my mind, the greatest nickname in baseball history bar nine. Cool Papa is still believed to be the fastest man to ever play. This game clocked him circling the bases in an astounding twelve second in.
Speaker 5: Coolpop for the one where he turned the light switch off and.
Speaker 4: He was in bed under the Satchel said it was so fast he could walk in the room, turn off the lights, get in bed, pull up the covers before the room went done. And that is actually a true story. Satchel and Cool were teammates on a number of great teams, including nineteen thirty five Pittsburgh Crawfords, a team that many believe to be the greatest baseball team ever. Simple, I would lean more toward the thirty one Homestaid Grace, but they're right there, neck and neck. Five future Hall of famers on that thirty five Pittsburgh Crawford team. And so when they travel, Satchel and Cool were oftentimes roommates. So in this particular instance, Oh Cool gets to the hotel room before Satchel does, and he walks in the room. Flip the light switch on. There's a delay before light comes on. Flip that light switch off. There's a delay before the light goes out. Oh Cool, Papa says, h huh. When Sachel gets to the room, Cool is waiting on it. So Satchel climbs in bed, Cool hops up room it. I'm so fast I can flip this light switch off, run over, hop in bed cover up before the room gets done. And Sachel's like, wait a minute, cool, you fast, but you ain't that fast, and so cool, popa bell, BET's meal money, and old Satchel took the bait, and then one of the greatest sports pranks of all time. Because that light had a shortage in it, Kool was able to flip that light switch off, run over, hop in bed cover up before the room went completely dark. Sachel was so outdone that he just always told folks that cool was that fast. But he stretched singles into doubles, doubles into triples, triples into inside the park home runs. Yeah, no, he was absolutely amazing. If he he bunted it back to the picture and it bounced twice it so he got no chance. You've got no chance. And he was a left handed hitter. He switched it, but it came primarily left handed, so he's coming out on the left side. And again the players in the Negro Leguel say, not only was he fast, but he might have been the greatest base runner this sport has ever seen. His ability Chris to cut that bag on the inside. Yeah, Buck would say that he ran so low to the ground that he could literally smack the bag with his hands.
Speaker 3: Wow and not fall low.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, good Lord gives some of us something they just don't give all of us.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: And he and Cool was indeed special and cool was cool the name personifized.
Speaker 2: You can't have that name not be cool, be cool.
Speaker 6: I think of you know, as I was talking about the rick Wood game a couple of years ago, you know, having the opportunity to talk to players who are at the household names and who are the cool Papa Bells of the world, the statul pages of the world. I'm sure you had the opportunity to talk to some players who played in those latter years of the negro Leagues. Any stories that stick with you from the guys who you know weren't the superstar players, of their experience playing in the negro Leagues and how much they feel recognized in today's game.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the milestones that we've seen over recent years, the game that we were talking about at rick Woodfield that honored the Negro Leagues, and sadly, the legendary Willie Made passed away a couple of days before that game. We were all down there for that, and I was with Willie's son, Michael, when he got the news that his father had passed, and it was obviously very sad for all of us who are baseball fans and understand the history and how important Willy Maids was to the game. But it's hard to be sad when you talk about Willy Mays because he brought so much joy. But he essentially accomplished Chris what he had hoped to accomplish, and that was put the spotlight on some of those lesser known ball players who were just as important, but they don't necessarily get the attention that the Satchel page it. But you know, in every league, every sports league, there are stars and then there are superstars. Yeah, and they don't always get the same shine that the other people get. And so what we've seen over recent years is that they're starting to get their recognition and they've lived long enough where they can hopefully enjoy this newfound recognition. And we knew from the onset when we started this museum in nineteen ninety it wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of win.
Speaker 3: They were all going to.
Speaker 4: Be gone and their legacy should not die when that last Negro league leaves the face of this earth. But it's important that they now get to enjoy the spotlight on them. And I think that's what Willie Mays had absolutely wanted to have happened now. I would have loved to have seen him come back just one more time on that field where a seventeen year old kid was patrolling center field for the Birmingham Black Barons.
Speaker 3: And if I had.
Speaker 4: Told you in nineteen forty eight that that seventeen year old kid would become widely known as the greatest Major leaguer of all time, you'd just said, Bob, you're crazy. And as great as Willie Mays was, as great as Henry Aaron was, as great as Ernie Banks voy Campanella. I know it sounds crazy, but there were others in the Negro leagues who were even better than they were, who we didn't get to see transition into the major leagues. I had always said that had the doors opened sooner, the record books would be entirely different. Well, what did we see? A couple of years ago? Commissioner rob Manfren went back and opened the door when they allowed the status of the Negro leagues to be integrated into the record books of Major League Baseball, and what happened.
Speaker 3: The record books are now entirely different than Josh Gibson's the all time.
Speaker 4: All time career batting average leader three seventy two single season batting record in nineteen forty three when he only hit for sixty six. Yeah, I'm gonna go out on the limb and say that ain't gonna be broken.
Speaker 3: Yeah no.
Speaker 4: And you see these other names start to populate the list of greatness amongst those who played in the major leagues. But there were a second tier of guys. You mentioned Ted Double Duty Ratcliff, who I think should be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. He earned his nickname Double Duty when the great sports writer Damon Runin saw Duty catch a Satchel Page shutout in the first game of the doubleheader, pulled off his catcher's gear, took the mound, and threw a shoutout in the second game of the doubleheader, said he was worth the price of two admissions. He was nicknamed Double Duty until that till it well still is. He died at one hundred and three in Chicago. Double Duty was outstanding he should be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. His brother Alec was outstanding, should be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Rap Dixon. The list goes on and on of great.
Speaker 4: Players who were in the Negro leagues who have not necessarily crossed over into that threshold of baseball immortality in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: What was that process of trying to get the numbers recognized and what is the pushback that you received from people when you know the record books were changed.
Speaker 4: Well, in twenty twenty, Commissioner Rob Manfred made the historic announcement that first and foremost Major League Baseball was that long last going to recognize the Negro leagues for what we already knew it to be, but it had never received that formal recognition from Major League Baseball a major league. See, Baseball had recognized these other leagues, the Federal League and some of these other lesser known leagues. They had been recognized, but the Negro leagues had been blatantly. So he rectified that issue. And then he also announced that they would pulled together a team, I would say, a dream team of Negro league historians and researchers to take on this task of unearthing the data so that we could quantify these stats so that they could be added to the record books of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: And it took nearly four years to pull this data together.
Speaker 4: And Chris I knew the minute this information was released we were going to get Somebody said that was natural. I was already prepared for it. And I remember, shortly after it happened, guy writes me on social media and he said, well, I just wanted to be apples to apples, and I wrote him back. I maintained my decorum, I didn't cuss. I wrote him back and I said, sir, it can't ever be apples to apples. No major lega had to ever sleep on the bus, no major league that had to worry about where they might get something to eat. No Major leaguer had to get dressed under the stands of the stadium that they were about to fill up, not be able to shower in that same stadium, not be able to wash their uniforms. It cannot be apples to apples. If anything, it should help you understand just how great they were that they could overcome all of that and still put on a show. Because no matter what the hardships that they had to endure, when they went into that ball park, the fans who came to see them said, herd, y'all could play, let me see what you got. And I guess you could say that the baseball field was their sanctuary for whatever that time was. They could put all of that aside and do what they loved doing. So, no, it can possibly be apples to apples. But what I hope through these numbers is that people now will use that as a portal for much deeper understanding about who these players were and what this league was all about. It does not diminish Ty Cobb that Josh Gibson sits at number one. It just should tell you how great Josh Gibson was, and if you are a baseball fan, you should want to know about these players and their greatness. And so I do hope that it becomes a portal for deeper understanding.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I completely agree with you. I was hurt and listening to you talk earlier. You talked about, you know, the legacy of these players, the legacy of the league. Something cool that I saw come out. Because I'm good friends with Jackie Bradley, Jr. And he plays for the Indianapolis Indianapolis Clowns. You know, the Savannah Bananas are expanding the league and they, you know have the Indianapolis Clowns, which you know you've created a partnership with. What was that process and what was the importance of that specific team, you know, being the namesake of the team that's added to the league.
Speaker 4: Well, I think for any museum, but particularly a history museum, and even more so a cultural institution like the Negro League Baseball Museum, the challenge is how do you establish relevancy Negro Leagu's history fellas hadn't been made in over six decades. Now, the life lessons that stem from this story of triumph over adversity are as meaningful, perhaps even more meaningful today than ever before. But we need to be able to connect the dots with an ever changing generation of young people. So when the Bananas, the Savannah Bananas were in Kansas City back in twenty twenty three, I believe it was to play our minor league Kansas City Monarchs team. Jesse Cole, who owns the Bananas, he brought all the guys over to the museum so that I can take them on a tour of the museum. We have a small section that's dedicated to the Indianapolis Clowns in the museum. And when he saw that section and the fact that it was the clowns who were doing what the bananas were doing now, the clowns were doing that in the thirties and forties, that's when the epiphany hit him that someday he'd bring the Indianapolis Clowns back to life. Well, fast forward to last October. I go down to Savannah to make the historic announcement of the return of the Indianapolis Clowns as part of the Savannah Banana Ball League. And it has been absolutely amazing. It has been so overwhelmingly positive, and they are building a fan base that is second to no.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They came to Kansas City, played two games at the Ky and fielded up over two dates, and most of the folks came to see the bananas, but they left fans of the Indianapolis Clowns. And like I said, the clowns were doing that in the thirties and forties. Now, the difference is the clowns had a group of serious baseball players. They weren't doing the entertaining. They had guys who were designated to do the entertaining, unlike the teams in the Banana Ball League. Pretty much all of them do the entertaining, and they're gifted at the entertaining. But they're great athletes because I don't want what they do from an entertainment standpoint to diminish what these kids. These kids can flat out play. I don't know if you ever tried to hit a baseball on a unicycle. Oh, yeah, they could play. And of course Henry Aaron's career began with the Indian Napolis Clowns. Nineteen fifty two, a skinny, cross handed hitting shortstop joins the Indian Napolis Clowns by the name of Henry Aaron.
Speaker 1: So cross hand hitting.
Speaker 4: He was a right handed hitter who was hitting with his left and of course that is unorthodox because the fear is that you break your wrist hitting in that manner. Henry Aaron is knocking the cover off the baseball in a highly unorthodox fashion. When he gets to the Clowns, they put the right hand on top and the rest.
Speaker 3: As they say, is history.
Speaker 4: He was shortly after discovered by the Boston Braves, who of course would become the Milwaukee Braves, who will become the Atlanta Braids. Henry Aaron will go down and this sport is one of the game's all time greatest players. But it all began in the Negro Leagues with the Indianapolis Clowns. But you also had the great Goose Tatum. Goose Tatum. Most people know that name because he's in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Goose Tatum starred for the Harlem Globetrotters. Goose Tatum Matt invented what we now know to be the hook shot. Yeah, Goose Tatum is about six four six 'y five, had an eighty four inch wings fan incredible, and his arms were so long that they came down below his knees. And he was so long and gangly. Hints loose as a goose. But he was a great two sports. He was a slick fielding first baseman for the Indianapolis Clowns. And I had the honor of walking the legendary Oscar Robertson through the Negro League's baseball music. The Big Ol' and the Big O'd had played basketball against Goose, but he never knew that Goose had played in the negro leagues. Yeah, that's the exceptional and Goose would do the entertaining. They were so gifted at playing pepper. Then they go into a routine they would call shadow ball, where they were so gifted at it that the fans could never tell that they didn't have a ball going around the horn. There was a panamime routine and the things that you saw the Globe trotters do.
Speaker 3: The goops could do that with that baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's been a thrill to bring back the history of the Indianapolis clowns. Even though they were controversial. They were controversial within the ranks of the negro leagues. There were Negro league owners who felt like they were perpetuating a stereotype.
Speaker 1: Type uh huh.
Speaker 4: And there were also you had the issues with the black press who felt the same way. And then it was even more complicated because you had Abe Sapristein and Sid Pollock, who both were involved with the Harlem Globe trotters to white men promoting this. But the clowns were wildly popular. Black folks were filling up ballparks to go see them play. And so it's been fascinating to see the reaction, the overwhelmingly positive reaction that has been generated with the return of the clowns.
Speaker 1: That's good. Special.
Speaker 2: You've touched on this a little bit, but I kind of want to dig a little deeper. Obviously, the negro leagues playing during in the Jim Crow South, I mean, buses were home, sleeping upright, eating out a kitchen, windows, restaurants with blake plates. After Black players would eat sundown rules, you know, cheer free at three pm, but gone by dark. The unwritten rules playing white teams win, but don't humiliate, humiliate the white teams. What would happen if they forgot those rules and really beat the teams down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it it was. It was dangerous for them, you know. And sometimes they would though, but you better had a bus renting. Yeah, now the bus were they had the signal where the bus was already turned on, and after that final out you were going out there, you know. But those were the circumstances that they had to play the game under, particularly along the Bard Storming circus where they were playing the local town teams and these kinds of teams, and you know, sometimes they wouldn't necessarily beat them because that was a payday, you want to get invited back, So you would kind of have to demean yourself to some degree, you know, just to kind of make a living doing this. But the highways and byways were clearly very dangerous, you know, not knowing where you could stop and get something, not knowing where you would have a place to stay. The green book became extremely important, you know, in black life. As you're moving around this kind of you absolutely but you know, it's really interesting because Jim Crow South was exactly what it was. But even when they went north, while it wasn't the overt situation that you saw in the South, it was more covert.
Speaker 3: Buck would say.
Speaker 4: They would oftentimes come to New York and places like that, and they would have had a hotel reservation and when they pull up the sign owned.
Speaker 3: The marquee says reservations available.
Speaker 4: But when they went in to get a room, all of a sudden there were no rooms available to you. And so they could move around the South because you already knew what you were dealing with. Yeah, you didn't have to wonder about it. You knew exactly what you were dealing with. When they went north, it was like I said, it was more covert. Yeah, it was very subtle, but still just as mean spirit yeah yeah, and just as demeaning as it was dealing in the South.
Speaker 2: You know what I think makes that time of baseball so special as now mental health is a conversation and how you need to have your mental health right and you need to eat right and sleep right and do and they didn't have any were still some of the greatest not only baseball players, but athletes in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes you wonder had they been privy to the kinds of conditions that the athletes have available to them now and everything that the athletes have available to them, how much better would they have then. But I'll never forget Dave Winfield, my dear friend Dave Winfield puts on when he was a exactly with the Padres. Every year he would put on a big salute to the Negro League, probably the biggest in all of baseball. And one year with there and former Major League Orlando Hudson, Oh yeah, old doll, he's taking me and some other Negro League players through the pet Cot facilities and that they're blown away by these facilities because you know, you got the hot tub here, you got a cold tub, catererst kitchen, you got the weight room, all this stuff that they had never ever thought about. And so a guy was sitting on the trainer's table and the trainer was massaging his side, and one of the Negro League players looked up. He said, Hey, what's wrong with him? Orlando said, Oh, he's got a strain, no bleak. He's on the disabled list. The Negro League players said, hell, I didn't even know I had it, no bleed. You are not gonna be out the lineup for a strain, no bleak, because you might never get your job back. Yeah. All the kid that was playing ahead of Josh Gibson tripped on the guidelines of the night You know, the Monarchs started night baseball in the Negro Leagues in nineteen thirty and the kid who was catching for the Homestead, well five years before the majors. They were playing under the lights of the Negro Leagues. He trips over the guideline and breaks his leg. They go in the stands and they pull a young Josh Gibson out of the stain. He was about eighteen years old. That kid who broke his leg, he never got his job back. Now of course, there's no shame in losing your job, Josh Gibson.
Speaker 3: But a strain old bleak, Oh no, that ain't keeping.
Speaker 6: You out the line up, you better take it just speaks to the love of the game that you had to have at the time.
Speaker 4: Precious there was a precious few number of these jobs. And to be honest, part of the reason that it took so long to integrate. Yeah, the social conditions of our times played a role. Fear played as big a role as the social conditions of our time. It wasn't the superstar Major leagua that was concerned about integration. That average Major leaguer was concerned about integration because if you allow this influx of great black and brown talent in, I might.
Speaker 3: Lose my job. And that's human nature. I can understand why.
Speaker 4: You know, you only had a handful of Major league teams at that time, so these were great jobs. But Ted Williams wasn't concerned about integration. Ted Williams could play. Yeah, and what we know and this still holds to be true today. Great athletes appreciate other great athletes, and the only way you can measure how good you are is not competing with.
Speaker 1: And against the best.
Speaker 3: Absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: I know we can talk all day and listen to stories all day, but we got quick hitters.
Speaker 1: So first thing to come to mind, let us know your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Five Negro League players all time they could play in any era?
Speaker 3: Oh man, just five, Give me a five.
Speaker 4: Give me five, satchl Page, Josh Gibson, cool, proper bell matind he go, Yeah, Oscar Charleston.
Speaker 3: Man, that that fuck.
Speaker 6: One game all time that you could sit in the stands for. What game would that be?
Speaker 4: I would have loved have been there for that nineteen forty two World Series. Yeah, I would have loved to have been there for.
Speaker 1: That's a crazy story.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna load the basis that the whole story.
Speaker 3: All the theatrics.
Speaker 2: That went into you gotta animate that story created.
Speaker 1: Bench clearing bral.
Speaker 2: Give me three of the most intimidated Negro League players you can remember.
Speaker 3: If I had three, that I would want Oscar Charleston.
Speaker 4: Oscar Charleston, bucle'neil said, the strongest man he ever saw in his life. Say he could take a baseball, put it between both palms, and turn the leather on the baseball. Freakously strong, Maddy once snatched the hood off of a ku Klux Klansman and lived to tell about it.
Speaker 3: So I give me Oscar Charleston, give me jud Boojun Wilson Booju.
Speaker 4: His nickname is Booju because of the sound that is lying drives made hitting off field wall Juju. But he had a temper too, and was strong as an ox. And I think Mule Subtles even though he wasn't a guy that would off the factcause nobody was gonna mess with him.
Speaker 3: MW Subtles.
Speaker 4: We marvel over Gibson swinging at forty forty one. Mule Subtle swung a fifty hours.
Speaker 1: Batd it on the edge of the batters.
Speaker 4: I got the back card at the Louisville slug Of Museum fifty ounce. And he was a tremendous hitter, lifetime career batting average over three hundred, one of the great power hitters in the Negro leagues. When he would come to the plate, the fans would say, kick, Mule, kick, kick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were waiting for it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I love that. I know.
Speaker 6: It's a lot of them, the best Satchel one liner.
Speaker 3: Wow, don't look back. Something might be gaining on.
Speaker 2: You one current Major league player who's playing style would have fit in the negro leagues.
Speaker 4: Sure, m he is a bona fide negro Leagues type player. Do it all, no question about it.
Speaker 6: And if you watch the show, what's who's one guest that you'd like to see sitting here in the same chair that you in?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, I'll tell you what you guys haven't missed on many man, I got to see my band Dusty Baker. That was That's a tremendous episode. He's one of my favorite people of all time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of guys though that I think I would love to see sitting in this seat. I'm honored to be sitting in this seat. And I don't know who you haven't had, but I would love to see have me see a current player.
Speaker 3: Have you had Muki yet?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well yeah, Uokie is great? Have you had show? Hey?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah? Good?
Speaker 4: You know that connection and I don't even know if he knows that connection between the negro leagues. In Japan, I had the chance to take Ichiro Suzuki. He came to the museum and we had a chance to show him the member of billion from that two of Japan and he just lit up, really he oh man, he lit up like a Christmas street, you know. So it would be interesting because we're talking about this cultural aspect of you know, but Vladimir Guerrero Junior, his father's been to the museum.
Speaker 3: The Negro leagues went to those countries and played.
Speaker 4: So there's some guys who I want them to understand that cultural bridge.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That was the thing that when Juan Soto came to the museum. Jan and Aaron came over together, Aaron Judge when they were both with the Yankees, and that's what Juan wanted to talk about was Puerto Rico and you know those other countries are Dominican in those other countries. He was just blown away by that rich history. And you know what I find even more interesting that Spanish speaking athlete in the major leagues today still played the game the way they played it in Negro leagues. Still to this day, they played the game the way the Negro leaguers had taught their ancestors years before.
Speaker 3: We have aarn'chie.
Speaker 4: Ware was a great player in the Negro Leagues for the Cleveland Buckeyes, and we have his championship ring on display, but the championship ring is from when he played in Venezuela, who won the WBC this year.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, Bob, thank you.
Speaker 2: I think I speak for Chris and I both like we I have never sat down with someone who has so much enthusiasm and passion when telling these stories and obviously keeping the memory and UH through story and through the museum alive.
Speaker 1: Man. So we appreciate everything you do.
Speaker 2: We hope that you continue to raise all the money you need to get that big new facility and come back and join us when you get or maybe we'll come out there and shoot the show once.
Speaker 3: Standing invitation. You guys not vegetarians?
Speaker 1: Are you no good?
Speaker 3: Good good?
Speaker 1: You need some good Casey barbecue. But Bob, thank you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That's a wrap.
Speaker 2: You can catch this on all the Smoke YouTube and the DraftKings and we'll see you guys next week