Speaker 1: Episode three point fifty one Impulse buying, What it is and how to stop.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are talking about one of your favorite topics, a topic that you ask for over and over again. Impulse buying. Impulse shopping. Impulse purchases basically just unplanned purchases. So we are defining them and giving strategies for how to stop impulse shopping.
Speaker 3: It gets the best of us. Even if we think we are stellar at a impulsivity sneaks up and some of us we've not even tried. We're just impulsive. We're doing all the things. But hopefully we've got some tips and strategies for you that you can be more mindful about your spending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to not vilify impulsivity. That it is a thing that many people have regularly, and everybody has eventually, So how do we work around it, how do we embrace it, and how do we just do better with it? So, but first, this episode is brought to you by the consequences of my actions. Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions catching up to me. This weekend, I'll be running thirteen point one miles because I signed up for a half marathon a week after giving birth. Is this what I'm lamenting?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Actually I trained. You know who didn't Travis, my husband, who I also signed up for the half marathon, and who will surely never let me live down the consequences of that action. Will he run with me? Probably not? Will he injure himself?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Will he complain the whole way there and back? Most definitely, but not all consequences of your actions are as miserable as mine will be. When you get the friend Letter for free, you'll get actions to help you save money, spend better, and live in alignment with your values. Write to your inbox three times a week. And those are some consequences. I'd like to see. Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash friend Letter to get the friend Letter and see the consequences of your own actions in a good way, In a good way.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I can't wait to hear how this goes.
Speaker 1: I know right, it's tune in to our next episode. Maybe no, not the next one, because it's not the weekend of recording, it is the actual weekend when this episode comes out. So d follow me on Instagram at Modern Frugality if you'd like live updates, that's.
Speaker 3: It, but also frugal friendspodcast dot com slash friend letter. Those updates are going to be better, more beneficial for your wallet for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, So if you are interested in decreasing the number of impulse buys you make on a weekly basis, aren't we all? We have a ton of great episodes. Our best ones on this topic are episode two seventy nine Tips to Avoid Impulse Spending and episode one thirty three Tips for Avoiding Holiday Impulse Buying. So the first one is just general tips. Second one tips for the holiday specifically. Today we are diving into impulse buying a little deeper, so we're talking about science behind and strategies for intentional shopping. So this one's going to complement episode two seventy nine really really well. So let's get into our first article, which is from shopify dot com. It's what is impulse buying and how do you encourage it? So that may sound like a weird title, but what this article is it is for marketers on how to get people to impulse buy their products. So this is a guide. This is what is being taught to the people that are marketing to you, and we're going to share it with you and talk about it so that you understand when and how and why you're being marketed to and use that knowledge to fight off the urge to impulse buy.
Speaker 3: It's like having a sneak peek behind the scenes what all the marketers and their little boardrooms are talking about trying to get you to spend money that you don't need to spend, But we'll talk about that. Sometimes you can spend and it's a big deal. But first of all, what is an impulse buy? Through the lens of this article, they describe it as it doesn't differ that much from a regular purchase, except in one key area where an impulse buy is not consciously planned. Compulsive buying happens in the spur of the moment. It can be hard for any one individual to control, and it can be very heavily affected by emotional states ranging from anger to joy. Anyone listening might be able to relate to that the times that you have bought impulsively, there was probably a degree of high intensity emotion happening for you, maybe on that spectrum somewhere, And so then it goes on to describe some of the science behind buying behavior. They reference this kind of first review study that suggested that many shopping behaviors are correlated to a number of factors, including personality traits, buying beliefs and attitudes, sociocultural values, demographic factors, and all of these are linked to both internal and external factors. So internal factors being those emotions that we were describing, kind of the thoughts and feelings happening inside of us, as well as external factors, which can be the environment. What's happening or has just happened around us can be one of the things that contributes to us impulsively purchasing something. We might call this self gifting or retail therapy, and maybe shopping as a way to manage mood, which might be done intentionally. I am not feeling great, I'm going to the store, but not necessarily having an idea of what exactly you're going to buy, and it just kind of leads to whatever strikes my fancy is what I'm going to put into the cart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's treat yourself mentality. I don't know how many impulse purchases have resulted from that one gif or one meme, one scene from Parks and rec but I have to venture to say it is quite a lot.
Speaker 3: And haven't we all kind of secretly desired or more openly desired and actually engaged in a treat your self experience? Likes. As much as that episode does stress me out, it also is like, oh, yeah, but if you had the money, that's just a fun day.
Speaker 1: But for right, but it was a day. I think people forget that in the show, Treat Yourself was one day a year, and now we use it to justify our impulse purchases every single day.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, so then they go on to give an example. One from social psychologist Wilhelm Hoffmann talks about how impulses emerged through the activation of the associative cluster in long term memory in close interaction with perceptual stimulus input. That's a lot of words. Here we go with an example. So let's say you love cake and you see one out of bakery. For me, it's probably gonna be a donut, but I'll keep going. Your brain activates a series of urges, desires, and impulses to eat. These urges are stimulated by external stimuli like the cake, the donut, how it looks, the smell. Well, all of our senses are going, and you buy the cake without thinking about it. And so this social psycho just explains that because of your past experiences with cake or donuts or hot dogs, I mean, I'm just going to keep adding food in your brain forms these cluster of links that A the concept of cake, B has a positive effect generated by the cake leading to c the repeated patterns of behavior that led to the positive effect. And so it's just this connection that our brain makes, which is very good. It allows us to be so efficient, It allows us to do many things on autopilot and muscle memory that does benefit us. I mean, think about the times that you've brushed your teeth without even needing to think about it. It's related to this thing where we kind of have this automatic I'm about to go to bed. This is what I've done since i was six years old, and so this is what I'm doing now. But then it can have this kind of not so great impact on our finances if we weren't planning on buying that cake, donut, hot dog, that it's just kind of this muscle memory. We do it subconsciously, We almost do it without thinking about it because we almost we feel helpless to the delicious cake. And this then happens in almost all areas of spending. It doesn't have to just be food. It's whatever association and that goes back to the kind of social psychological behaviors of what we associate shopping or buying to. And again, when our emotions are at play, we can have an association that buying this thing is going to make me feel better, or buying this thing is going to further how great I currently feel. You could be on any end of that spectrum. But it can be almost even this coping mechanism that leads to some of that impulsivity.
Speaker 1: So Jill talked a lot about food, So let's talk about some real data from Slick Deals and they covered impulse spending product categories. So we'll talk about the top five categories where most people are prone to impulse purchases.
Speaker 3: Oh, they give two less pre pandemic and post Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, well, they have a pre pandemic and also a post pandemic, but we're back to pre pandemic spending according to the economy and whatever the people say about that. So I'm just going to go through the pre pandemic. One coming in at number five, at thirty one percent, is coffee, So thirty one percent of impulse purchases. I don't think that all this. This definitely doesn't all add up to one hundred percent, So I don't know what the thirty one percent is. It's coffee. Coming in at number four is household items. And you can use this data to help yourself and know that. Okay, looking at my ninety day transaction inventory, let's first do a sweep of coffee, and now let's do a sweep of household items that I've purchased, just to see how prone you are to each of these categories. The third this was shocking to me vehicles is shocked vehicles. Yeah, people are impulse buying vehicles. Who would do that, Jill.
Speaker 3: Who would do that? Oh? I almost did that? This is so ida. I feel so called out. Literally last weekend, we almost we didn't do it. We almost impulse purchased a vehicle, and I thought that was wild.
Speaker 1: I'm not alone, though, No you're not, and I have some ideas about why, and we'll talk about those later. But coming in at number two is clothing, and then at number one, nobody will be surprised. The number one product category that gets impulse purchased is food and groceries, which is why we do so many episodes on this show about meal planning, meal prepping, grocery shopping, saving money on takeout, and all these things, because this is the number one place where we impulse spend. And of the big three, our biggest three expenses in our monthly budget, housing, transportation, food. So apparently people are impulse buying transportation to Now.
Speaker 3: When is it going to be impulse purchasing houses? Like I joke that we don't do that, but maybe we maybe we do? No, we you kind of didn't.
Speaker 1: Nobody in this economy, gosh, true, nobody. If you want to know what the number one the reason I didn't read the post pandemic list is the number one impulse spending category on that one is cleaning supplies, And I just don't think that that's relevant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're right, that's that was mid pandemic. That was yeah, in the thick of I don't yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they were saying post pandemic, but this list is definitely, I would say accurate from the requests we get for episodes, and we've literally done all five of these episodes multiple times. Even we have a coffee uppisode just on coffee. But it will be to your advantage to think about these at least five categories and look at your ninety day transaction inventory. Maybe it's other things for you, some other things on this list, books, take out technology, toys, all the teas and shoes. Look at what you are most prone to impulse spending on and work on that first before you look at all of your impulse buys. Let's work on one big category first, and most likely for you, it's going to be food or groceries. Food and or groceries, So definitely plenty of episodes to help you with that one category.
Speaker 3: So then the article goes into reasons that people impulse buy kind of the top five reasons, and they're looking at this again from the perspective of what drives shoppers to buy instantly, so be aware they're talking about us, and let's see what we can learn and what we can shift to just be better informed and equipped in our spending. But the first is that feeling of getting a deal. I can recognize this in myself, that impulse buying doesn't always mean spending an entire paycheck on fancy, luxury items or products. People also buy things because they feel it will just save them money in the long run. They reference back again to this Slick Deal's survey where they found that fifty two percent of respondents would rather take advantage of a deal than pay full price. So sales promotions tend to impact sales because consumers are price conscious. Most of us are not. Many of us are loving the restaurants where they don't put prices next to the wine. We know that just means it's unaffordable, and I don't mess with.
Speaker 1: That too rich for my blood.
Speaker 3: We are more likely to buy products, buy things, even by services that are seemingly offering greater savings. I will say this is my own addition. I think sometimes we may not even be totally aware of what is the going rate for this. Just if a store says, at this store, it used to be this, and now it's this. Sometimes that can even work, just to see that slice through the original price, the red sticker on it, and now it's less money than what somebody might have spent. That can trigger some impulsivity of and probably even a bit of scarcity of when is this next? When is this deal going to come around again. There's a lot of things that can play into that, but just that I'm getting a deal, therefore I'll spend I'll spend it right now.
Speaker 1: I want to create a movement with merch. Every movement, every good movement, has merch and I want it to be I pay full price, Like that's what I want the shirt to say, I pay full price because I think if you can change your mentality from always wanting to get a deal two I am willing to pay full price, you no longer fall victim to sales marketing. And so while it is awesome to get a deal on something you were going to buy anyway, it's very hard to navigate if you were going to buy it anyway. You can say you were going to, but I love a deal. We talk about deals in the friend Letter, but we don't emphasize deals in the friend Letter because they cause impulse purchases. Ultimately, a sale is a marketing tactic, and so we don't want to market for these companies for free and get you to spend money with them. We would like you to take money from them in the form of freebies and other things. And I think that is the reason vehicles are number three on that list, because they are always doing sales and always throwing in incentives. Every month is the biggest sale of the year, right, So I really feel like it's this particular one that really attributes to that transportation car one, because I mean, what was going to get you to purchase that car last weekend, Jill.
Speaker 3: I think it was the knowledge that eventually we will probably need and or desire a second vehicle. We've only had one vehicle for coming up on four years now, which has been awesome, but seeing that it could be necessary to have a second. So then when something popped up that was very affordable, it was like, okay, well should we then get it now? So it was a deal for sure, a private sale on Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 1: Possibility, yeah, the possibility, yeah, of probability maybe could be useful in the future. Might as well take advantage of the deal now sort of idea. So if it is close on your horizon, and you have decided that that is definitely on your horizon and it makes more sense to get the deal now. So that I have definitely taken advantage of deals, I've definitely impulse purchased items that I know one hundred percent I will buy in the next six months. And if I have seen that the deal is better then it will be in six months or has been whatever, or is what I really want on Facebook Marketplace, then yes, I have impulse purchased that. And that's when an impulse purchase can be good, it can be beneficial, But it's when we start getting into those I could maybe I think I might want this, I probably will. When you start getting wishy washy about that, that's the sign that tells you this is not going to be an impulse purchase in my best interest. So the next one is physical stimuli. And we don't get this as much in our online lives, but when you are in person somewhere, you can definitely be influenced by physical stimuli. So I'm going to call out Target. That's what we're going to talk about. Physical stimuli at Target. So store environment data suggests that a pleasant environment encourages customers to shop around. Definitely more pleasant. Target is more pleasant than other big box stores. Background music studies show that soft background music slows the shopping pace, results in more spending time salespeople that provide guidance. So this is big at higher end stores. So like when you're going to the mall, you're at your like Nieman, Marcus's and stuff like that, and then the last one on the list. Promotions sales promotions like Bogo encourage customers to buy larger quantities, free vouchers, refunds, free sampling, gift backs. Those are all known proven to impact and increase impulse buying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't go to Target. I have an unpopular opinion that I just don't care for it there. And maybe that's because I don't want a nice environment. I want to in and out. I don't care about the music or whether or not there's trash on the ground. But I can say when I am in a cute boutique shop, Yeah, sometimes this happens to me. I actually recently saw a reel of somebody I think they called it the trash test, that they if they found something that was just staged really well in a store. I think that they were primarily talking about Target. You know, they're at the Joanna Gain section where everything is just st aged really beautifully, it looks really lovely. They'd pick an item that they think that they're about to purchase and take it over to the trash bin aisle, like where you'd go to purchase trash cans, and see whether the item still looks good there. And they were kind of joking about how this is going to be, what it's like to take this thing back to your house, Like it looks really gready in the like stage Joanna Gain section, but like what's it actually going to look like in your house? And so if the item still holds up in the trash can section, like it still is really cute, then then okay, maybe you know you've put it through the tests, and if not, then no, don't bring it back to your home. It was really interesting, like she showed a couple of different items, like here's what it looks like in this pretty section of Target. Here's what it looks like next to trash cans, and it it really did reveal the true quality of the products. It was like, oh, yeah, that thing is not as cute as it was, and that sections there you go. There's just like a hot tip of that environment.
Speaker 1: There's how to cut down your home decor purchases.
Speaker 3: Right. There's the third reason that we can impulse by. One of the top reasons is just that feeling of instant gratification. Many of us can experience that rush of emotion. It might even be a version of stress, which can be excitement about making this sale. We might feel a little risky and we like that. Wherever you find yourself, that instant gratification or even it might calm some stress or anxiety that you were feeling. To be able to shop around the store and then purchase this item and get that immediate rush of this is now mine and I have this thing that I've been looking at. Can be a reason to impulse shop. Whatever we are being sold or we are telling ourselves about the purchase of that item, I'm like, this is gonna solve so many problems, This is gonna make my life better, and this and that way, this is going to make me feel so good. Right now in this moment, I'm feeling sad, I'm feeling down, I'm feeling happy, I'm feeling treat myself and just the seeking of instant gratification can be why we pull out our debit card or credit card and just get the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel very called out by this one. It's just think about the last time you needed to finish a task but you found yourself browsing Amazon for hours or wanted to eat more veggies, only to order wings from uber Eads, and I feel offended.
Speaker 3: Do you think that they are watching you at night? They've got cameras in your house, writing the article based on what they're seeing.
Speaker 1: Now, because I don't use uber eats, but I do eat wings. So the article really emphasizes that your brain battle between short term rewards and long term rewards. And when a shopper in your store, quote unquote your source see something they need, the logical part of their brain tries to reason with them, and God help me if I haven't experienced the same thing. It'll say saving the thirty five dollars would be good for their bank accounts and they don't really need the shirt. While the emotional sides doesn't think about the future, It just sees instant gratification as the ultimate reward, and it depends on which side wins. So consumer research suggests that shoppers are more likely to spend in stores, So when we're in the store, usually the emotional side wins out, and then in the online the opportunity to put it in the cart and forget about it, so more often your logical side can win. But when we're talking about frequency of a tech an actual physical store versus the opportunity to shop online, Gosh, you can access a store from your phone all day, every day, so the opportunity to shop is way more than having to drive to a store. So in that case, it's kind of a wash. So that's why we emphasize that values based spending isn't quote unquote finding your why or your bigger reason for your financial goals. We have to figure out these short term rewards that are more important, these short term internal motivators that will win out in a battle of your logical and emotional brain. So short term things that you're saving for like on a weekly basis, I'm not gonna buy this coffee because I want to be able to buy an appetizer at day on Saturday, or negotiating with yourself, I am going to buy this latte and I will not buy the appetizer at dinner on Saturday. So again where the impulse purchases aren't necessarily bad, but you have to make these trade offs in the short term to battle this very thing, the instant gratification.
Speaker 3: So speaking of ways now that we can utilize this information from that first article and the knowledge of what leads us to impulse shopping is how can we stop impulse buying and purchase more intentionally. So the second article comes from balance through Simplicity, and they're talking to us about just that, how to stop impulse buying and purchase more intentionally. We'll go through I think the majority of these tips. The first tip that they give is avoid the shops altogether to prevent impulse buys. So it is difficult to buy something on a whim when you're not even in the store to shop or make that purchase. So if you are identifying that this is an area that you are having a lot of struggle in controlling shifting behavior, we are not going to advocate long term, never go to the store. That's an extreme. You can't live life that way. But in the immediacy of training yourself differently, finding new coping mechanisms, learning more about yourself and what leads you specifically to impulse by. We are absolutely going to interrupt the cycle by just not going to the stores altogether, and a lot of that does have to do with physical presence in the store. As you Jen had mentioned in that first article, that just being in the store can make a big difference on our impulsivity. We are much more likely, especially if the environment is really beautiful, soft music's playing to impulse by. Then we might be even online. I'm not saying that there's not impulsivity that happens online, but there's also something to just physically being in a store. So we can't just stop a behavior though, especially one that is feeding us in some way or is some version of a coping mechanism, even if it's not meeting the need all the way, we need to replace it with something. So they are suggesting when you are wanting to go to a store instead, just go for a walk elsewhere. This could be outside, maybe someplace inside, but not at a store. Go for a walk, get some exercise, move your body, allow yourself to think about something else and not even be kind of tempted by just the things that your eyes see. You could also if it's kind of that satisfaction that treat yourself that you're looking for. Consider ways to get that at home or for free, like giving yourself a manicure, pedicure at home, getting together with a friend, just talking with a friend on the phone, watching your favorite show, or cute videos of animals. You could journal find what works for you. This is not obviously an exhaustive list, but the first step is not going to the store itself. But you have to then follow it up with what will you do instead? Otherwise it'll feel like complete deprivation and it won't be sustainable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's the habit loop right. In order to break a habit, you have to make the queue invisible, i e. Don't go to the store, but you have to place it with something just as attractive. So in addition to physical stores, I see this driving to work. If you're prone to stopping at Starbucks to get breakfast or wah wah what have you to get breakfast and a coffee, try taking a different route to work for a couple weeks. If that's not available, then take the apps off your phone. Don't allow yourself to purchase on an app. It's not a long term strategy. It could be for a lot of us. It won't be a long term strategy, but it is a good detox. And I would say this is another reason why you're doing a ninety day transaction. History is really important so that you can see the places that you are prone to impulse spending, like the physical places. So maybe you impulse buy something on Amazon. What were you doing when you were making that purchase? Where were you what had just happened? Think about not just the purchase, think about the environment and the all of the cues and triggers surrounding you when the purchase was made, and try to replace that action. Because you were trying to meet some kind of need by doing the impulse shopping. How can we replace that action was something that will be more suitable and actually meet the need more so, like when I had my first son, I went to Target a lot and it was really just to get out of the house. That's what I really needed. And it was too hot outside to go for a walk. I mean, that's a great suggestion if the weather is nice, but honestly, I just needed to be out of my house and it was either that's the only way the kid would sleep is if they were in the car seat in the car. So I'm driving places. Right where do I go? I'm going to Starbucks, I'm going to the drive through Taco Bell, I'm going to Target. So I had to distill it down to figure out, Okay, what was the actual goal. The actual goal wasn't that I wanted to be at Target. The goal was that I wanted my kid to sleep. So that's when I started. Literally, I would put the kid in the car, just drive around for ten minutes and then come home. That was it, That's what I really wanted. It got the job done. And then on the days that I did want to actually be outside, honestly, I would go to a place where I knew I wasn't going to be tempted to buy something, so like Niman Marcus, some a really expensive place where I was so offended by the prices of genes that I knew I wasn't going to spend money. Everything was out of my price range. That's where I would go. So you have to get creative. Once you identify the true reasons behind your impulse spending, then you can get creative in how you meet that desire without the actual impulse spending. So the next one is to make it difficult to spend money. We're running through the habit loop. So I think I just covered that, but I'll reiterate taking the apps off of your phone. This article also suggests to get rid of store cards and credit cards if they enable you to make unwise purchases. This is a place where promotions can come into play because as a store card holder, you get a lot of promotions, a lot of extra sales because they want you to put money onto that store card. Because these stores make more money off of these cards then they do off of your purchases at the stores. That is a common thing. The harder they push these cards, you know, the more money they're making off of them. They know that people who have their cards not only are they putting their shopping more frequently, they're also buying more product. So they want you to get these cards, so get rid of them. Don't worry about the hit to your credit. It will bounce back soon enough. But whatever is making you like unsubscribing from emails, stuff like that, think about the things that are enticing you to spend, and then getting rid of those. Taking your credit card number out of all of your things on your line. Our episode Tips to Lower impulse Spending covers a lot of these ways to make it more difficult to impulse spend.
Speaker 3: I'm going to combine these next two number three and four, So number three is set a budget before you shop, and four is don't go shopping when you're feeling emotional. Not that they're necessarily the same thing, but I think we can say enough about them in a short amount of time. We are going to do far better in not overspending or spending impulsively. If we've already decided how much can we spend, we're going to also feel better about what we've spent that day. If we've told ourselves ahead of time it's okay, it's within range. I'm giving myself permission to spend this amount when I'm going out. I think my biggest impulse spends happen at yard sales and thrift stores, honestly, and I don't go to them often, but for me, a Saturday morning walking around our neighborhood and there's yard sales happening, like that's a fun activity for me, and I know that there's always going to be some sort of goodie to find, whether it's plants or a kitchen gadget that I'm still kind of developing stuff from my kitchen now that I don't live in a vehicle anymore and I actually have a home. Like, there's a lot that I just don't have, and sometimes I don't know what I don't have until I see it out. But this is what works for me is I don't know what I'm going to come across, but I know I'm going to come across things that I think will solve a problem for me. But I'm only going to take twenty dollars and it doesn't feel impulsive then, just because I didn't exactly plan to buy that salad spinner. The salad spinner was a dollar and I don't have one, and this is going to be useful for me, so it's fine. It's within my budget of things I can buy that I'm not even sure exactly what that's going to be. The ability to find a good deal and a treasure that's what I want on that particular day. And then leads into the next one of just being aware of our emotional state. And I think a lot of times we can think this has to do with just feeling really down and I need to pick me up, and the pick me up is just going to be buying whatever I lay eyes on. But again, as we've said, we can impulse buy because of a variety of emotions. We can be elated about a good thing that has just happened, or really down upset about something that has just happened. So being aware of what your emotions lead to, how you cope with them, and limiting the shopping that you're doing if you are feeling these emotions that are going to lead to this, it's not always super feasible. Sometimes we do just have to go to the grocery store even though it's been a bad day. Even acknowledging that can be really helpful of I am a little bit more vulnerable to impulse buying today than maybe I will it would have been yesterday. And because of that, I'm just going to be more aware of the decisions that I make when I go to the grocery store.
Speaker 1: And for my last one, I'm going to combine six and eight because these are just good practices when you are in a store coming and have your hands on a product that you want impulse buy, or your hand on the mouse trying to put something in your cart. Six is to ask yourself, do I have something similar? So if you have something that you can repurpose or use that does the same thing, like do you need a duplicate in just like any way? And then eight is to pause and wait. So even if you can't answer that question immediately, we're waiting a couple days. If it's something in the store, put it back, because you know you can get it online. Put it back, and you can put it in your cart, on your phone and leave it and give it a few days and if you still want it, then you can get it online. That is the wonder of the internet. But first ask yourself, just pause and ask yourself, like, what purpose is this going to serve for me? How does it look next to my trash cans? Do I have something similar?
Speaker 3: We took thirty five minutes to get to that's the best tip. If you were to ask me what's the number one tip for impulse purchasing, it's pause. Create a pause. Yeah, just pause, paid.
Speaker 1: Create a pause, you know, add it to your cart and wait. Pause yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Even just thirty seconds can provide the clarity that we need on whether or not we actually want to buy the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems silly. Honestly, when you're in a store and you're like holding something and you're pausing, it feels silly. But lean into the silly feeling because the silly feeling is helping you save money.
Speaker 3: Go pause and take a walk to the trash can section. Put it in the trash can section. See if you stole on it. You know what we do want. We don't have to think about this one. We will impulsively do it twice a week.
Speaker 1: It looks great in every trash can section.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 4: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. That bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Claion, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: Hijen and Jill. This is Savannah from Houston, Texas, And I'm so excited to tell you about my Bill of the week. And recently earned my PhD in biochemistry and cell biology, and I wanted to print out my dissertation so my parents and I could have a nice bound copy of it. Looking online, I saw this going to cost from two hundred dollars to have two copies of this over one hundred page document printed in full color. So I had the genius idea printing most of it in black and white and then separately printing the only twenty three pages I needed in color. This gave me so much money, and when I did it online, I also got a twenty five percent off coupon, plus Racketen gave me two percent cash back, plus my credit card had a five percent cash back reward. So all in all, what originally would have cost me two hundred dollars came out to just ninety five dollars. I'm super excited about this frugal win. Thanks for all you to do. I love the show.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. You know what I was thinking. So here's something else you could do. I don't know how it would show up in color, but you can upload it to like Kindle print on demand book books, and you can have it printed in like a book form. And it's usually very inexpensive to print a book. I don't know how many words your thing is, but like it can cost less than four dollars to print like a twenty thousand word book. So I would love to see somebody print their dissertation print on demand and you can take it right off of Amazon. But like, I honestly would love to see that somebody put their dissertation in a print on demand book just to like save money.
Speaker 3: This is amazing. Well done, Savannah with your PhD in biochemistry and sell biology with what I can only assume means your dissertation has pictures. That's my kind of PhD. I'm sure it's pictures that I wouldn't understand, but colored pictures nonetheless. And then the way you're stacking deals, I mean, of course you're earning your doctorate stacking them, coops, racketing credit card points, just doing the back. Well done, Savannah. What a good bill, what a good hack, what a good degree. You're going places? If you all listening, also feel like you're going places and you're getting deals, and you're stacking deals and you're hacking stuff and you're just not spending nearly as much as you should have, or you're spending so much because you don't care and it's in your value system, or your name is Bill and you have no idea why you're here even listening to the Frugal Friends podcast. But your name is Bill. Give us a call just so Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill. We are unhinged and ready for it, and now it's time.
Speaker 1: For around Peo peo, pew pew pew pew. All right, so today's lightning round. Have you ever turned an impulse purchase into like a valuable possession or have really what is an impulse purchase that you do not regret making that you not just don't regret, but are glad you made.
Speaker 3: Every single one of them? Is that the bad? Is that a bad thing to say? As it goes? Google Friends podcast, Let's pack that. Okay, okay, okay, okay. I may not totally stand by that. I'm unhinged. It's you know, we're into the second half of the show.
Speaker 1: So given a commission to leave your body for your mind to leave your body.
Speaker 3: So one hundred percent the spiral staircase. Many of you have heard about this already, but actually a very similar experience to what just happened this past weekend with almost car purchase. But Eric, my husband and I have been in the midst of renovating our home for the past three years. About a year into our renovation, we're I mean, we're in high spend mode for sure. We had money set aside to just totally gut and redo this place. And he comes to me with a picture on Facebook marketplace of a spiral staircase that someone is selling and thinking him just thinking, oh, wouldn't that be funny? And for me, I'm like, no, actually, that's a dream come true. Can we do it? And so impulsively yes, we did. It went to this place. We had to uninstall the spiral staircase from their second story balcony and then install it at our house. But it is a feature of the outside of the property. Everyone who comes over does comment on it, mostly because they think it leads somewhere. It just goes to the roof. They're like, what's up there, Let's let this viral staircase. Where does it go? And we're like, I'm the roof. That's it. It just goes to the roof. But it looks awesome and I have no regrets about that. Granted we didn't spend a ton of money on it. That does help in whether or not I'm going to regret it is how much I spent on it. Oh, here is ones that I regret. I'm changing the way that this question is being asked. With something you don't regret, something you do regret. My regrets are lipsticks and lip glosses. It's like the purchase that I can't seem to get right. I will buy a lipstick thinking I like that color, but obviously you can't try it because I'm not going to the beauty stores. I'm getting it off the shelf at Walmart and it's in plastic and you can't try it before you buy it. And then I get in the car, put it on, instantly realized, no, that doesn't look good on me, and now what to be done. I can't return it, so I am minimal in every single area. But I've got a handful of lipsticks that I probably will never wear. I tried it once, didn't work. I regret those impulse purchases. Well, now I know, are we gonna spoil it.
Speaker 1: In two weeks? If that sounds like you, then we have an episode for you. Just stick with us. In two weeks. We've got we solved it.
Speaker 3: Got something.
Speaker 1: Because I also have the same issue. I have a handful of lipsticks that just don't look good at man, I bought them because they look good on somebody else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we solved that problem, though, so stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We solve that problem. Yes, yes, I love your spiral staircase. I mean, I'm sure Eric did not think you were going to go along with it because it was so soon after the indoor water feature.
Speaker 3: Tobaccle tobackle. Well, we never did purchase an indoor water feature. He still wants one, right, Yeah, he wants the water feature very much, wants.
Speaker 1: An indoor water feature, and that's not aligned with Jill's values. I would say, gosh, my first inkling was my best impulse purchase. Was having a second child was kind of an impulse decision, right. I can't say my second son was my best impulse purchase, though he does cost quite a bit of money.
Speaker 3: I mean that it costs money they have him, so yeah, I say it counts.
Speaker 1: My worst impulse purchase was this house that we currently live in that we are renovating. I would say my best impulse purchase was our other house that we left. We decided so we were getting kicked out of our rental and they were like you have six weeks to leave. It wasn't on us. He just wanted to turn it into an airbnb. So he's like, get out, and we were on a month to month so he could do that, and so we just decided, you know what, we don't want to rent anymore. We want to buy a house. And then thirty days later we were homeowners and best decision we ever impulse made.
Speaker 3: See you are out here impulse buying homes.
Speaker 1: That is a fact. Wow, I laughed, But it is a fact.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess we kind of impulse purchased our home too. Well, it's not something we're doing every day, so our points stuf holds up. We're not daily impulsively buying houses.
Speaker 1: In this economy.
Speaker 3: Couldn't couldn't even Well, everyone, thanks for being here, Thanks for listening. Hope, we hope it helps. We hope it helps you understand yourself why you're impulse buying one. It's fine and okay, and when you need to press the brakes on it, we're just glad you're here, and we also are so glad when you all leave us. Such kind reviews like this one from Lisa Tella, who's actually a friend of ours, lovely and reasonable. Thanks for not making me do six side hustles because I'm tired. This is such a fun and accessible show for new and experienced frugal folks alike. She's so good with words. Thank you, Lisa Tella.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for listening. If you enjoyed the show, please take a minute to leave a rating and review. It helps potential new listeners know what our show is all about and if it's right for them.
Speaker 3: See you next time. Frugal Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 1: Jill. This morning, I had a four mile training run and I forgot my phone at home, which is troublesome because my phone also has my driver's license and my credit card in it. Yeah, but most troublesome because it has my music on it, and there's nothing worse than silent cardio. So I know that. I'm like, I'm rolling up to the I know I'm rolling up to the gym. I was going to just go home. I was like, Oh, I can't do it. I can't. There's just going to be the Hallmark Movie Channel. They're going to be playing Reba in Silence, and I don't know what's going on in that show. I can't run four miles on Riba, And I was like, you know what, a little bit is better than nothing. And if I go home, I can't go back out because I don't have enough time because I got an interview at eleven. So I stopped at the gym and I went and I you know, started, and I was just like, you know what, I'm going to run for five minutes and then I'll walk a minute and I'll just keep going and do that and until you know, I feel like I'm not gonna I can't do it anymore. And you know what, by the grace of our Lord, Catfish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so I I couldn't hear it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what they were saying.
Speaker 3: It matter not with Catfish.
Speaker 1: Did I did four miles?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I was watching Catfish.
Speaker 3: Yes, you'd hold time. Oh Jenna, yep. This is making brought me through. I get it. I don't know if we've ever talked about this before, but we have a shared love for Catfish. I mean, I guess I don't know the degree of your love for it. But anytime Eric and I are at a hotel and you can just watch TV, I mean, no one really has TV anymore. But Catfish and Ridiculousness is all that's on TV anymore, or and sometimes Shark Tank. We watched those three shows just on repeat. There has been a time where we were at a hotel. We wanted to go out and explore the area that we were vacationing too, but we couldn't pull ourselves away from the episode of Catfish that we got roped into, or like yeah, yeah, yeah, we're about to leave. We had like our bags and everything ready, but had to finish the episode of Catfish before we left. I mean, I wasn't running, but me too, I get glory to it.
Speaker 1: So I actually hate Ridiculousness. I think that show is this like scum of the earth.
Speaker 3: No, I love you watch your mouth? Oh yeah it is. I love Rob dear Deck.
Speaker 1: Catfish is out here saving people like it's helping people. It is a service to the world. Yeah, and it's probably the best thing on MTV at this point short time.
Speaker 3: But the year deer Deck is just really oh my word, I think he's so funny. Yes, mm hmmm. Did you ever watch Factory? Nope? I don't know what that is. That was the show that he had previously on MTV.
Speaker 1: He used to be like, I'm not a big MTV girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I really enjoyed him on Fantasy Factory, and then when he had Ridiculousness. I just think he's so funny. I think his transitions are so good. Really, he's my inspiration for my personality here on our show. So I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know went that deep. I guess maybe I just haven't given him enough of a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to watch again. Don't worry about West Coast, Chanelle Chanell West Coast. Don't worry about her, although she is, I mean she's she's enjoyed West Coast.
Speaker 1: I don't even know who that is. I don't watch Ridiculous. I don't know Ridiculousness enough to know what that means.
Speaker 3: Then you can't you can't call it trash if you don't know it that well, take it next to the trash cans and then decide and see will do