Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zima back here in the home office of Austin, Texas after what has been an amazing week, a coastal bi coastal week.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like I have walked into our house and I need to saying, Yes, who's back beck again? We're always leaving, We're never here. I'm sorry, home, we love you. No, it's been I mean we've been traveling.
Speaker 1: We did this to ourselves. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's on us. We traveled multiple cities a week every week in the month of May. But I think it's all gone well. We buckled down. The thing is, we knew what we were in for. We saw this plan ahead, we saw it coming, and.
Speaker 1: We travel great together. And you and I love an adventure. Yes, it's all things have piled up because so our first adventure was with our daughter Taylor. They're out of school TCU is out for the summer. We had planned a long time ago to go to New York because she kind of missed. We were going to do a senior trip from high school covid ye, so we decided, you know what, as soon as freshman year is over in college, let's go to New York. She is my Broadway food shopper. Like that is. We share that love together. And I don't know if you guys know this, but Lauren loves the theater. Breaking news. Lauren loves it.
Speaker 2: Really worked out. It's funny. I do take a little bit of ownership for this. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. But Chris's daughter, Taylor, she did theater and then she also played soccer and her freshman year of high school. So this is around when Chris and I started dating. I mean, within a few months she comes, you know where. She and I are talking about theater a lot, and I'm telling he about how much I love theater in high school. And within a few months she says to Chris, you know, dad, I don't want to do soccer anymore. I think I'm focusing on theater. Do you think having that influence in her life a little bit, I may have made a little extra.
Speaker 1: Because you were new into my life and my relationship. I had to pretend like that was okay with me.
Speaker 2: I know that was.
Speaker 1: It did hurt my heart a little bit because that was the last child to leave the game of soccer, the game I love so much. But to watch her grow and to choose something like theater, it was great and so we went and it was hardcore. LZ planned this to the tea of like we saw two shows a day and stop for food and that was about it.
Speaker 2: All I wanted to do when I get day. All I want to do when I go to New York is see great theater and eat great food.
Speaker 1: We and the dynamic. Just so you everyone can picture this, we all pile into one room.
Speaker 2: Yes we did.
Speaker 1: Where we are in New York. We all pile into one room and we make it work.
Speaker 2: I like a fun look. I'm a big as Chris said to me once a few months into our relationship, and I quote, oh, you talked to everyone in your family every day. Okay, that's how I am. Like to pile in Like I always shared a room growing up with my sister. I really never had my own room. I then moved into my college dorm and the my sorority house and always shared a room. As you know, I hate to be alone, but I just thought it would be fun. Like we were barely sleeping in the room anyways, So we had a you know, a suite with two queens. And honestly, what that meant for me was that when you fell asleep earlier than Taylor and I every night, and she and I just got to like stay up and watch friends and chat.
Speaker 1: I always feel and I love this in a good way. I become the third wheel when I'm with you and Taylor. Oh, and it's like the third wheel, but it's a good thing because like, look, I'm the dad, I'm the guy. You guys just go off in this other world that she loves and I love. And you know, one thing that my takeaway in one of the reasons I bring up this trip parenting each kid differently, this would have been a nightmare trip for my son. Forcing him on this trip would have taken away a little bit of the fun and the exuberants for all of us because he probably would have done it, but grudgingly so and just fallen asleep at all of the show.
Speaker 2: You would have done. It was the right thing to do for his sister.
Speaker 1: I think it's okay to separate and treat them different go on, especially as they get older. I know, when they're younger. You can't do this as much because it's you know.
Speaker 2: Well, But I think the actually the important difference of what you're saying is because before we've preached parents each kid differently, but you're really talking about spending time with each kid separately at what they love to do.
Speaker 1: I did. I will say, even as a single dad, I did this. I would take my daughter on dates. We would go to dinners. We even went to New York when I was hosting the view co I co hosted for a week. I took Taylor with me and we went and saw shows and went to dinners. I would not have brought Joshua there because while he's been to New York many times with us, that's just not his thing. And so Taylor and I do different things. Then josh and I will go on our trips, whether it's we went to the World Lacrosse Games one time, we go.
Speaker 2: Together many times.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we'll do stuff like that. We'll go fishing, we'll go hunting, we'll go play golf, we'll do Yeah, what I was gonna do your stuff.
Speaker 2: What I was going to applaud you on, though, is even in as taking this trip with Taylor now you had taken to Taylor to New York to see Broadway several times before I was ever in the picture. And what's beautiful to me about that from this parenting and really any relationship perspective, is doing something that the person you love loves to do. And I mean, I know you like a show also, but you you know, you took Taylor and did that. Even though you coached her on her soccer team, you also took her to see plays and you made sure that she had that special attentive time with you. So seeing you guys together in New York now kind of felt like this cool full circle moment, and I was really happy that I got to be a part of it because.
Speaker 1: You get to reminisce about the times we've been there before and to hear her talk about going to Wicked or going to Lying Kaane.
Speaker 2: You're good at vibing with the girls I love. I give the show credit. I think it made you very good at chatting with the ladies Chris over brunch like nobody's business. And you have really created a relationship where Taylor. I was so not as open with my dad about dating and crushes and stuff. Taylor shares that stuff with you and she doesn't feel awkward about it, and that is on you. How do you think you created that? Like, how did you?
Speaker 1: I just think it's having that not honestly, watching the show with her helped back in the day. It's something you know, because I would have to watch the shows ahead of time. They would send me a screener, so if I was doing interviews or whatever, I'd be prepared for because you know what happened on the show, but you don't know what is going to end up on the editing room floor, so you can't talk about things that they aren't seen on TV. And so she would crawl into bed with me and we would watch the show a lot in her formative years and we would talk. It gave us a chance to, like, I remember Caitlyn Bristow season and Caitlin was being kind of accused of, you know, being a little loose or whatever memory she was, Yeah, that was with Nick and all that. It was, yeah, And so it was fun to stop the show and be like, what do you think about this? Taylor? And it gave you a gateway into having these conversations. And I've heard this from other parents that they've done the same, and I find that so I think just having these calm, cool conversations, I was never judgy, even if I wanted to be. In my head, if I wanted to say something that was aggressive or black and white about how I felt, you got to hold it in so they will continue to open up. But one thing I love about treating your kids differently. There is something to be said for taking your daughter to baseball games and you know she will love the things you love, but not forcing that because I love embracing what they enjoy. But at the same time, when Taylor went to the Texas Ranger baseball game, she sent me a picture because she knew I would enjoy that she was at a Ranger game. Yeah, even though she wore a Yankee hat and it broke my heart.
Speaker 2: But I know he showed me this picture and he's like, this is so heartbreaking. I didn't even understand why. I'm like, what's wrong. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: But I think just having that that let the thought bubble come over your head of what you want to say. When she says I kissed a boy, don't have that knee jerk reaction you can have in your head. But don't say it. Ask well, yeah, ask them a question about it. Whatever you're thinking. Don't make a statement, ask a question. So then they will continue to talk and realize that they're not being judged.
Speaker 2: I've learned that from you, because if you do say your opinion right away, then what you risk is that they won't share with you again in.
Speaker 1: The future, shut down, or feel judged.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I love both my parents, obviously, but my parents did that and that one hundred percent is why I didn't. And look, I don't look back and judge them for that. They had different conversations about they didn't have the same sort of education we've all had on how to communicate and all that. But yeah, my parents definitely would give their opinion right away or get mad at me right away. And so then when things got bigger, I shared less with them because I was afraid of upsetting them or disappointing them or getting in trouble. And you've created the world where the kids share so much with you and they do feel so open with you. And that's any relationship, right even beyond parenting, is if I am vulnerable with someone, will they judge me? And the asking a question thing. I was giving somebody that advice the other day, because I think what asking a question does is really puts the onus on the other person to own up. If they feel like they you know, well, how do you feel about that? Well, then they kind of have to really look at themselves and say, how do I feel about what I did?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Make you look in the mirror a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but and not in a scary way, but in a way where Okay, they're going to place they're going to decide how they feel about themselves without you doing it.
Speaker 1: Always helps when you talk through even your own situations. Before we leave New York, I have to give a huge shout out to It's now on my mount Rushmore of Musicals and Juliette. Oh my God, huge shout out to the creative team and the actors, the writers behind and Juliette. If you were in New York, get a tick, go see this musical. It's fantastic. Absolutely music, the acting, the idea behind it. It's I don't want to give anything away, but think kind of wicked. As far as the creativity behind this story.
Speaker 2: Yes, they take the story of Romeo and Juliet and turn it on its head with the music of Max Martin, the producer who did like every Britney spears in sync, even Celine DIONSI so.
Speaker 1: Just know that he wrote basically any song you've ever heard from late nineties into the two thousands. This guy wrote these songs.
Speaker 2: No couldn't recommend Ajuliette enough. I'd heard it was good from some friends. It has now been nominated for multiple Tonys and we absolutely loved it. So definitely check that one out.
Speaker 1: So we head to the West Coast and Montecito, California, and we went to this iHeart event, Brett Young Concert at the Santa Barbara Bawl, which, by the way, speaking about rushmore of venues, I'd say Red Rocks, the Santa Barbara Bowl and then the Hollywood Bowl. As far as far as amphitheaters go, that is just epic concert venues.
Speaker 2: Love an outdoor concert, Yeah, And it's kind.
Speaker 1: Of Wrigley Field where you're going into a neighborhood and there's houses and the all of a sudden you're like, this is the entrance to the Santa Barbara Bowl and then there's just this amazing concert venue. But more importantly is who was there and the people we met and the people we got to hang out with, very very good friends that we got to hang out with, Andrew and Evonna Firestone, Ashley Aikenetti was there. Jared was not. He was home tending to the little one.
Speaker 2: We facetied him.
Speaker 1: We did FaceTime Jared and it was funny. It was one of those face times where you know, we're out having a great time. And this has happened to me many times. You are at home and you are just in your life. You've probably just fed the kids, probably been spit up on bathtime, just finally got the down, and then you are face timed into a bunch of screaming people having a great height.
Speaker 2: It's a great conversation, super clear, easy to understand, not at all annoying. It was just us screaming at Jared, but I know.
Speaker 1: Smiling and shaking his head. Let me off the phone.
Speaker 2: He was being very accommodating of us. You know. It was so good to see Ashley. I had not seen her since pre pandemic, maybe because they've moved to the East coast now they're in Rhode Island, but we were looking at pictures of the baby and talking and she and I had always been pretty close because we're very close to the same age, and we kind of started I started doing Bachelor interviews around the time she was first on the show. It was so good to see her. We had a blast.
Speaker 1: For me to have seen this woman grow and who she is now just floors me.
Speaker 2: Because not crazy, Like when I still stop and think about the fact that Ashley like manifested Jared. She and they are married and they have a baby. It really happened.
Speaker 1: Truly manifested him, and I mean did not give up the tenacity the blaby.
Speaker 2: She and I did of a moment I didn't tell you this, but we were We just had a moment, you know, after tequila number four where we just turned to each other. I think it was when we got off the FaceTime with Jared and I said, isn't it nuts? And she goes, I know, like I ended up with Jared and you ended up with Chris Harrison. I'm like, I know, it's so weird because she and I always talk about we went and grabbed a drink together at this spot in La really early on. This was when we were like both just in such a different rough place, so like you were just saying to have seen now, I mean, what is it like for you to look at her well?
Speaker 1: Just I mean, she was almost a caricature of herself. You know, she was a character at the time, and because she was a character on the show and the you know, emotions and the tears, and while that was her, it was definitely played up and shown on TV. And just seeing her grow up now and having these conversations like you were just mentioning, where there is so much depth and beauty to this woman. I just really enjoyed talking to her, and I'm going to have her and Jared on so I'm not going to go too much deeper into what we talked about, but it's just so amazing to see what a great mom she is, what a beautiful wife she is, and just what a good person and she just has such a great soul. I just loved her and it was great to see her and her and Ben they do the podcast together, so they have a great dynamic together and it's always good to see Ben Higgins. Jess was not there unfortunately. She I think she was attending a wedding this weekend, so they had to divide and conquer as well, and we missed her, but it's all. It was good to see them.
Speaker 2: And you did a podcast with Ben and Andrew Firestone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the two of them will be coming up, and then we'll do Ashley and Jared. It's also speaking of a podcast coming up this week. We're going to drop with Claire Crawley.
Speaker 2: Claire and her new husband Rhyme. We're there with us. It was a real meeting of the generations of some of the bachelor folks because we also had Gabby and Rae, who were more recent bachelorettes there in Santa Barbara. I'd met them, I'd interviewed them really early on. They're both lovely.
Speaker 1: I met one what's not driv I guess I met Gabby at an iHeart event in Vegas, but I had not met them together post being the bachelorettes. So and Zach and Katie, Yes, who were so nice, who are our neighbors.
Speaker 2: Live here in Austin. We have to hang out with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so exchange numbers and we will keep in contact. But the Claire and Ryan, they were the first. It was funny. I was walking just checked in. L Z was not with me and I was walking across the courtyard to our room there at the beautiful Rosewood and Montecito, and there's Claire, and then there's the guy Ryan, who I had not met yet, and so first person I got to see at the hotel, gave her a big hug and it almost got emotional just us seeing each other for the first time. She just gave me the really tight hog and then met this great guy Ryan, and then we got to hang out with him all weekend.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised by what came out in the podcast interview with Claire. I've listen to it, so I don't know what you guys got to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got deep. Oh she had some questions for me. Oh yeah, she had some questions about her season for me, which were interesting, some things that were kind of burning inside, and she's like, I've never asked you. I really want to know some of these answers and what you thought, because we had a very interesting relationship and her show obviously was so crazy on so many levels with the lockdown, trying to shoot the show. We were the only production going in Hollywood, and so all eyes were honest, and on top of that, you're trying to do the Bachelorette and she falls in love on night one. So there were a lot of layers and a lot of things we had to talk about, but the main thing is now she is married to Ryan, this great guy who we love and I think the perfect kind of guy for her because he is so even keeled, so chill.
Speaker 2: She did say that, she said he's so even, and she said she almost thought it wasn't real how even he was in the beginning. But now she's been with him a while and that's been consistent. And she also did tell me, well, he's just not on social media at all, which is great. He's so out of this world I've been in in years, and that was a real tell of what a good guy he is.
Speaker 1: I kept an eye on him because I wouldn't have blamed him at all if this happened. But when we all sat down together, we all went to dinner, and so there's Zach and Katie, there's Gabby and Rachel, there's the Firestones, You and I, Ashley and Ben and Claire. That's a lot at a table.
Speaker 2: And I just realized Ryan was the only well Evano. Yeah, but while Ryan's the only non Bachelor alum here.
Speaker 1: So this is Ryan introduced into a very bizarre situation. He did not shrink from the moment. He really quietly as he would do, very chill guy, but stayed present and just supported Claire. I could tell they were together, and it was that's when I thought, Okay, this guy, he's a man. He's a legit good man.
Speaker 2: That is so telling of It's so true how we judge people in a moment like that though, right, And I don't even mean from a bad perspective. I think, well, do you judge from a protective perspective with somebody like Claire?
Speaker 1: It would not have shocked me at all if if the moment had just been too much and he just kind of sank back into the background of like I don't want anybody.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, So my first question, if it's somebody like Claire, someone you've known, I mean, Claire had been a contestant several times then bachelorette, how do you go a little bit into like dad mode when you meet Somebody's for sure.
Speaker 1: I feel like when people introduce me and Claire may feel the same, even though she's a little closer to my age, it's like, you know, it's meeting your dad. For the first time to a certain degree, and there is that element of I'm very protective and judgy.
Speaker 2: Ill how firm is the handshake?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's see exactly are you? Are you looking me in the eyes? Your hat on backwards or you wear a hat indoors, all those things that you know, I think about with my kids for sure. So I was judging Ryan.
Speaker 2: So we're judging Ryan. And the thing is he's in this perfect situation to judge. It's like a meeting the family thing. Are you going to be balanced? Are you going to be outgoing? You don't want to be too weird, but also you don't want to try to take the spot.
Speaker 1: Like Tim aks. Ryan was in the perfect position to fail, and he succeeded on a grand scale. And that's what impressed me. If he had failed this weekend, where it just would have been too much and he's like, this is not my scene. I got to get out of here. I'm going to stay in the room. But he didn't. He actually went the opposite direction and was amazing and so and you could just see the love between he and Claire really moved me.
Speaker 2: And I'm just I was just wearing matching sneakers.
Speaker 1: They were the matching Nike sneakers.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Really cool.
Speaker 2: It was good to see Claire happy. She has had ups and downs in her life, both on and off the show. It was it really warmed my heart. I felt the same. I felt like I gave her a really tight hug because it was just so nice to see her so joyful.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, would they look for that episode of the most dramatic podcast coming out. It was funny because Ryan sat on the couch during the entire podcast. There was a microphone sitting there. I tried to get him on a couple of times. He would not have it.
Speaker 2: He had no social media, no pod.
Speaker 1: I said, in this relationship, there's a pen and there's a teller, and he stuck to it and he never spoke. But it was nice. And at dinner I kind of was goaded into giving them a nice toast and.
Speaker 2: I yes, well, you always rise to the occasion, baby, you are. Chris is often put on the spot. I don't know why. It's as if he raised glasses and roses for twenty years. But somebody said, because we all us stood up and just said cheers to all being together. And then somebody was like, in congrats to Clare and Ryan, and then someone said, Chris, make a toast for their wedding, and then you before trying to get you to go around and toast everybody, which would have been a fun drinking game, Harris and toasting game.
Speaker 1: When we got done with with Ryan and Claire, Gabby and Rachel were like, wait, wait, wait, don't sit down, do me do me toast us? And so we had a great eye and it was fun to meet. So, you know, we really hadn't gotten to know Gabby and Rachel. I didn't know much because you know, as I told them, I didn't watch their season. So they told us a little bit about the show and told me about their experiences. And Zach and Katie, who just seemed like the most normal, down home people. Look. I mean, you would think they just met at a you know, oracle convention in Orlando.
Speaker 2: What's an oracle convention?
Speaker 1: That's what he works for all he's a tech guy, got it.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were very grounded. And it's one thing I noticed from the weekend. You do, baby, you just have a presence about you. I think people are attracted to or reach out for your mentorship. Like you could tell with I don't know. Everybody was just it's like they immediately want your advice or want to feel like taken into the fold or something. And it's a very good quality that you have. It's a very protective quality that I think people pick up on even when they first meet too.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, and I don't know about you, but I felt nothing but love in the room. And you know, it's one of those things like we don't know these people, we hadn't met them yet, it might be weird. Uh, you know. I used to host the show that they were on, and and it turned out everybody was just so loving and so open, and we had some great conversations and we went to the concert. Brett Young, by the way, killed it. We did some shots backstage with bread shots. By the way, Brett Young came in backstage, said hi to us, and he popped a shot as well.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I miss that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if he was shooting water and acted like it was a shot, but walked on stage and then crushed the show.
Speaker 2: And that's a rock star. I was. I did several shots. I do have done this one. This is just my personal you guys, I consider this a life saver. If you haven't gotten Cheers supplements on Amazon or on their website, they're called Cheers. It's an all natural supplement. I bring it up because I felt a little proud of my I took two of those at the end of the night. I think I was the only person in the group who wasn't a little hungover.
Speaker 1: Everybody was a little slow.
Speaker 2: It was a little rough Sunday.
Speaker 1: We walked around Sunday, we ran into Zach and Katie again, and we ran into everyone else, and everyone was a little blurry eyed because.
Speaker 2: You had a tuckle of a headache.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm not gonna truth. It was Uh, we had a good We had a great time. By the way, how about the news that dropped about Gabby Oh and Ben Higgins.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, she said this, because they did Ashley Ben's podcast came out this weekend. Slid into Ben's DMS after obviously he was on the show, and long before she was what a reveal. I don't know if I would have revealed that I.
Speaker 1: She said she went back and deleted it so Ben could not go back and find this.
Speaker 2: So we obviously never read it or saw it. But Yeah, that was that's really funny. Now I want her to say what she.
Speaker 1: Said, did you ever slew into anyone's DMS beyond me, anyone that was notable? And did anyone notable ever slide into your dms?
Speaker 2: John Mayer watched a couple of my Instagram stories one time, which was the track, but he never DMed me and I never DMed him. But one time I was just looking at my Instagram stories and I'm like, and this is when I was single, and I was like, John Mayer is watching all my Instagram stories. That's so weird. I kind of forgot about it in just until this moment.
Speaker 1: I got invited. I didn't go because I had to work. Well, John Mayer and Katie Perry were dating. If I remember correctly, they dated. I think it was them.
Speaker 2: I can't in fact check this. I don't know. I don't know why I'm blanking on this. I'm usually better. I'm so tired real quick, though. Who's slid into your DMS? Or have you ever?
Speaker 1: Nobody? I can't remember anybody of note, Like, nobody famous, nobody, Like we're like, oh my gosh, you know, I've met some people, some cool people via d ms were you know, but nobody uh relates.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel like anyone any other celebrity you ever met was a little flirty with you or did you hope that it would be? Wow?
Speaker 1: M Denise Richards ended up at my birthday one time. Oh we were a little flirty.
Speaker 2: Oh it was a long time A bond girl. Yes, I love Denise.
Speaker 1: I thought that might be a little too much for me.
Speaker 2: Couldn't handle. Yeah, she's She's a bombshell.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think who else. I'm sure there have been others that I was together and because while I was single, I kind of was opened everything. I'm like, I'll just and you blew your shot with the bond girl. I know, dude, get it together. I mean, what do you mean she's too much for Denise Richards? Yes, I think she was single at the time, as was I.
Speaker 2: Wow, you shrunk from the moment I did. Wow. Okay, okay, Yes, John Mayor and Katy Berry did date. I can't believe that I forgot that they dated ten years ago.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I got dmmed about was he reached out because there was a river trip, a float trip they were all going on with a bunch of friends and it was Katie's birthday, and he said Katie loved The Bachelor. I guess. And he said he would be really funny if you showed up on the river trip and then went with us.
Speaker 2: You just appear from the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I thought, one hundred percent, I will do this if I could make it work with the Bachelor bacherette taping, which ended up screwing it all up. But I thought, if nothing else, what a great story to have gone on this river trip and just showing.
Speaker 2: Was a nightmare birthday excursion. To go on a float trip, Oh my god. If I mean, those were the thing when I lived in the Midwest. If anybody float trips, it's basically just you're in an inner tube with your butt in pretty gross water that people are peeing and probably puking, and you're just floating down a river and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. It's absolute nightmare.
Speaker 1: Got attached to a few people justin Bieber's mom.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's clear it up here.
Speaker 1: And now we never went on a date, and we never went on we were never romantic. Never was she I met her because again, huge Bachelor fan, and so we were at a concert with Taylor. I was at a concert with Taylor and we were invited backstage. I don't know how they knew we were there, but we got sent backstage to meet Justin. Mom was there, Mama Bieber, and we hit it off and she says, Hey, next time we're in town, I'll call you bring you guys to the show. So we did. Taylor and I went again, went backstage, had dinner, and got to meet Justin again, and we walked around and somebody they obviously took some pictures of us, and it got out and it was she has a rabbit fan base. I'm not talking Justin. Mama Bieber has a rabbit fan base.
Speaker 2: So did they like the idea of that? He did.
Speaker 1: Actually, it was okay with them for her, but it spread like wildfire, and it's like, it's a one of those kind of awkward situations you don't want to like denounce somebody. But I was like, we're not, we're not dating. But she was lovely.
Speaker 2: I've never asked you this any other rumored romances from over the years that you would like to clear up here, and.
Speaker 1: Now, Chris Harrison, I think that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm really going into et interview mode.
Speaker 1: Now, I think that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, one last question. How many things over the years. I can't even imagine that you had to turn down like that float trip because the show was filming. I mean, you're filming Bachelor, Bachelrette and Paradise.
Speaker 1: I's gone pretty much the entire year.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else that comes to mind of an ugh moment where you had to miss something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the stuff it's golf, Well it was yeah, kids stuff crush me. But a lot of golf stuff like playing in the Tahoe the Big Tahoe Open. I actually had to turn on even playing in the first at and t at Pebble Beach because I was working one year. So there was a lot of that kind of stuff. What about other jobs, Oh, it's a lot of there was. There was a lot of other jobs. Yeah. I just couldn't do it. So I try and it just you tried to shoehorn it in because and it wasn't fair to the other production because obviously Bacher Bacherette was first chair. They were my baby. I was going to do first and we just had these short four week windows. It's like, how are you going to come in and shoot fifty episodes of a game show in four weeks, right or be hones. Eventually I did make it work with Millionaire and we shot it over the summer. I would go from Paradise straight to Vegas and be there for ten weeks, and it just got to be too much.
Speaker 2: I know, it's funny and I have talked about how back then we don't know if our relationship would have made it because your schedule was so cool.
Speaker 1: Again, unanswered prayers. I think one of the great things of being canceled was being able to fall in love. It gave me a life and as something I had been missing. And so you can't have all things. Anybody who says they can do it all and have it all, you cannot. You cannot give one hundred percent to your career, travel around the world the way I was going, I was burning it at both ends, trying to be a good parent, trying to work one hundred percent of the time, and then trying to fall in love. I could not give you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: That's nice to hear because and I hated having to ask this question. A lot of the times in working in entertainment news they'd want us to ask how do you balance it all? How do you do it all? And that is the answer, right, you don't. You can't do it all. It's that old adage about like there's something you can have one ball in the air, but I don't know. You got to drop them. You can't anyway.
Speaker 1: You've got to make it work. You got to. You have to figure out what is important to you at the time, and when those things conflict, you're making a choice. And then sometimes you just don't have a choice, which is your daughter's in the school of play and you're in asia and you just can't get back.
Speaker 2: And sometimes rejection is God's protection.
Speaker 1: The Carrushians and this is very applicable to this conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh, speaking of doing it all, Yes, Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 1: Went on a podcast and she was talking about being a single mom since you know, splitting with Kanye and now she has the kids North Chicago, Saint and Psalm. They are ages nine to four years old, and she is a single mom, and she kind of opened up something I very much related to because Kim's forty two and this is about the time I was divorced. My kids were My oldest is probably about nine, so I was right in that wheelhouse, same age. She has younger kids, but how she basically cries herself to sleep some nights, and not in a bad way. It's just it's a lot. Just it was great to hear how honest she was of what a show it is in a beautiful way, but it's a show. There's kids, you know, in the morning, you're cooking four different meals, and someone lost their shoes, and someone needs their hair braided just right, and it's just she talked about juggling all those balls and trying to keep it in the air. And at the end of the night, you're just You're just a normal person. And I don't care if you're a billionaire. You're exhausted.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, I think what this does speak to is obviously Kim has a lot more financial resources and help that she can hire to assist with parenting, but still at the end of the day, I was thinking about it from a much different perspective. But like, even if you get a wedding planner, you still got to make a lot of decisions and do things as a bride, and if you're a parent, we know this to be true, Well, we don't have a wedding planner. Yeah, but I do think if you're a parent, especially if you want to be a present parent. Look, I'm sure she has amazing help and that's awesome, but she maybe she still wants to be the one, you know, braiding her daughter's hair and helping them in the morning. And so, no matter what, that is tiring. Did you have moments where you cried yourself to sleep at night as a single day.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say I've never I never cried myself to sleep, but there were definitely overwhelming moments, especially early on when I first moved into my house after I separated from my wife, and the kids are staying with me, and this is I moved out, and so they had she had the old house with their beds and their normal rooms, and so everything was new, and so you know, there was the nights where the kids wanted to come sleep in my bed because there was just their rooms are foreign to them, and they're trying to get used to all this and you're trying to make it a new normal. But it's not normal. There's nothing normal about it. You are changing houses. You got to bring your shin guards and your soccer ball and your your you know, your homework and things inevitably get left behind and you got to go back and forth and it's not normal, and so you got to show them that they're still loved and everything's okay. But it's a lot. And so, yeah, they get home from school and you are an uber driver going all over the place. Then you got to make dinner. You don't realize how little you probably do when you are married, just because there's two of you as opposed to when you are alone, and it's one hundred percent you, because you get to the end of the night and you just lay in bed and you're like, sweet Jesus, like what just happened? Like can I do this? Can I do this? And am I screwing my kids up? And that's the ultimate is am I screwing them up? And that's the ultimate thing that hits you in the heart. And you just got to wake up the next day and make their waffles and get them off to school and do it all over again.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give to Kim then, having been in the position she's.
Speaker 1: In, Well, I love that Kim. To me, what spoke to me is yes, she probably does have some help. But what spoke to me is that's a woman who is in the trenches. The thing she was saying, you're not witnessing that, you're not hearing about it. She's those were things well.
Speaker 2: When she said, the kids are just on you, you know, they just want you. That's the thing. Right at the end of the day, they're going to want their parents.
Speaker 1: By the way, I had two, she has four.
Speaker 2: So what advice would you have for her if any.
Speaker 1: Well, she had the great perspective. Two things she said that I say all the time, the days go by slow, the years go by fast. Realize that it's a beautiful mess and you have to embrace this moment and drink it all in, because I promise you, in a blink of an eye, you are dropping them off at college. In the blink of an eye, they're about to graduate college. And you will miss those moments if you weren't in them. And I say the same things to the Firestones and to Ashley, And when we were talking to any new parent, I'm like, embrace these moments. Even when you're frustrated and you're fighting with your spouse and all that stuff happens drink it in because these are the moments that will be gone so quick. And so you know, I don't want to go back there because I know it's a tornado, But I'm glad I was in them when they were there. And that's and that's Kim's perspective, and I love that. The other thing she said is and it's so true. I have learned more about myself being a single parent than I ever knew.
Speaker 2: Oh you just so that's on another level, even from being a parent and married, when you become a single parent.
Speaker 1: Because it exposes so many of your weaknesses, your faults, your strengths.
Speaker 2: It's what are your weaknesses?
Speaker 1: It just well, do I have a hot temper? Am I a black and white issue person? Am I able to communicate? Can I manage these human beings? Because however small they are, they will find your weakness and they will It's like fighting a war and the enemy knows your weakness and they're going to exploit that. That is children, they will exploit your weakness. When they know that you don't like being embarrassed in public, or they know you don't like being talked back to, well, they know how to push.
Speaker 2: The buttons look, I give you the credit on this. You made it through. Like some people would maybe being a single parent would negatively affect them. It made you better, and so that is a reflection of your character. But I have said to your ex wife before, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I think I have a better, more mature, more grown version of you than she did. You guys got together and you were married when you were twenty two, and then you had kids at thirty. And you know, I've gotten this. I've arrived to this version of you in your mid forties. It's very different. So certainly that you chose to grow from that situation. But I've kind of laughed and told some of my friends, Hey, if you want like a super complicated, messed up sounding way of finding the perfect person, get divorced yourself and then go marry someone who's been a single dad, because that guy has figured it out. He knows how to do laundry, he knows how to cook. I mean, you steam my clothes and all this traveling we're doing. Chris Harrison an incredible steamer of clothes. He steams the dresses for the.
Speaker 1: Weddings that they've gone to many years with Terry Fatman from show Yes, who dressed me and taught me how to steam from the first steam from the inside out. People roll it through the inside of your shirt, not on the outside.
Speaker 2: That's going to help protest the big takeaway.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate Kim Kay. And by the way, you know, I got to give credit where credits due as well my ex mother of my kids. I went through this with someone who's a good mom who when my kids weren't with me, I felt safe and secure that my kids were in a good place, so I could travel, I could do things, and I knew when I was working my kids were being cared for. And God bless those that don't have that. I don't know that Kim Kay has that with Kanye, so she may be a one man band. And if you don't ever get a break, God bless you. I feel for you. Oh I skipped a story. I got to get to this because this happened on the show. There's a guy and this has gone hugely viral who he is traveling with his spouse and oh yes, he's flying first class. And this guy gets upgraded a lot, so he flies first class and he leaves his wife and coach. And the reason this hit me is because somebody on our show. I will not out this person, but there was someone prominent on our show that did this a lot when he would bring girlfriends on the show on the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you have to out the person.
Speaker 1: I cannot. He's married now and he's happy and so life is good. But he would bring women on the road and they would sit and coach and we were sitting in first class, and I was just looking at him like, dude, First of all, how do you do this? Second of all, how is she going to talk to you when we reach where we're going? Because that is just not well.
Speaker 2: Did you see the women react? Did they have reactions?
Speaker 1: They weren't around for long, so clearly was not a pro move.
Speaker 2: Okay, to clarify, the reason you bring this up is this is an article in the New York Times. It is a column where someone is written into the magazines. I didn't know they had it, ethicist columnist on this marital issue. And this person writes it and says, my husband flies first class and puts me and our kids in coach. Is that fair? He gets upgraded and the wife and kids are back in coach and she says she feels a she feels it's unfair, and he's even suggested, well, maybe they should travel alone on different flights so they don't feel bad about the disparity. So this person asks, you know, am I wrong in being upset about this? And this blew my mind. It is, as you said, things don't really go viral anymore, but this has gone viral because it's so bizarre to me. I don't I almost don't believe it. I have to tell you, I have wondered did if I made up?
Speaker 1: If I didn't know this story happened myself, I wouldn't believe it. But I watched this happen for five years.
Speaker 2: But it's one thing for someone who's just dating somebody to be like, like, I don't know, say I'm dating someone in They're like, we're gonna fly somewhere together, and then I show up and he's in first. Okay, I guess that could happen one time and then we'd be done. But how is someone who's married to somebody else. I saw somebody a journalist I follow, Yashar Ali just subtweeted it with the word divorce, like divorce this person.
Speaker 1: First of all, this guy total d bag. I mean, come on, man, but I don't This can't happens to you and I. This opportunity comes up with you and I all the time, by.
Speaker 2: The way, more so for me because I have better status.
Speaker 1: Only now this last week, but before then, it happened a lot where we would be on the list for upgrades and we would be in coach and then they would call, and oftentimes, even if we're on the same reservation, they only have one seat.
Speaker 2: And I would always tell you take the seat. I don't care. And I really meant that because I knew you traveled so much and I wanted you to have the more comfortable seat, and it was not a big deal. I really would not have been upset if you had you.
Speaker 1: Remember we did it one time. I did it one time.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris's back had gone out and he could barely walk, and I said, take the first class seat, babe, it's fine, And then you were so riddled with guilt the entire time.
Speaker 1: Me, I would never do that. You know me, First of all, I care way too much about what other people think, so I could never be this guy anyway. And the one time we did it. It just ruined me.
Speaker 2: You know, well, now I got to ask you that's true. It would look pretty crappy if somebody recognized you and me and said, wait, Chris, you're in first and Lauren's back in economy. So is that the only reason you'd do it? Babe? I thought you were being a good nose. I just divorce divorce.
Speaker 1: Would never do that, nor, by the way, would I expect you to do that. And we get this opportunity all the time because we'll get upgraded or asked to and and we say, here's a big first thing. We say do you have one or two? And there's one like let it go? Like no, we're not. We're going to sit together.
Speaker 2: Right. This did just happen to Love's Company. I just turned it down at the when we were stuck for the Kentucky Derby, we were trying to get on a standby flight and they said, we have one seat to upgrade. Do you want it? And we said no, we won't even go on the flight.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is they called you first, and then they called.
Speaker 2: Me, yeah, babe, because I have better status than you, And.
Speaker 1: I was guilted into turning it down to.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's no way I'm going to turn it down, and then you would turn it down after me. But here's a big difference to me. Also, these people have kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the deal breaker. Definitely divorced this guy.
Speaker 2: So I find it. That's why I'm so fired up about it and why I'm so skeptical. And I almost feel like The New York Times just did this for clickbait, for this very reason, because they knew people would be so opinioning.
Speaker 1: They had I'm glad to hear the New York Times as an ethics department, Well, it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it just doesn't even seem like an ethical question we should be debating. Let's get into more serious stuff ethics called now.
Speaker 1: This guy should be launched.
Speaker 2: I mean, how do you stick your wife in economy, taking care of your kids every time and Europe in first class having a cocktail. This is not it's bizarre, unacceptable. I can't even I have no words.
Speaker 1: Get a good attorney. Oh my god, because first of all, if he's going to do it on a plane like this, oh, what's there, he's clearly marginalizing you throughout your entire life. If he has no issues at all, yeah, you're not unless there is some medical ailment that we don't know about that this guy needs. No.
Speaker 2: I think she would have disclosed. Yes. What's great is that the ethicist rights the first sentence. The ethicist rates back to this person who's asking for advice. Is the institution of marriage has always taken on characteristics of the society in which it arises. Say just say divorce. No, it's I can't. I can't justify it. I really can't. What could possibly no?
Speaker 1: I agree, I mean, there's no defense. I would love to stick up for this guy somehow, some way, but one hundred percent he's in the wrong. One hundred percent he's a d bag. One hundred percent. This is worthy of breaking up.
Speaker 2: Here's what he absolutely should be doing every time they fly, especially if he's the one I think who's off traveling for work. I guess it seems like the guy gets upgrades because he travels a lot for work. When you're flying for work on your own, take the upgrade. When you have your wife and kids with you, you say, honey, take my first class seat. I'll be in the back with the kids. And that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Sounds like that would never enter his mind. Goodbye, goodbye and thank you. What a good what a good note to end on. Goodbye divorce, Goodbye to this guy, and goodbye to you. We had a great week. Uh again, I'm so glad New York and Broadway is open. I am so glad that we got to meet everybody at the iHeart event there in Santa Barbara, met some new friends, get to reconnect with some old and I'm glad you and I made it back home to see our house again. Yes, good to be home in Austin.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know this weekend we leave again, so we do. The train keeps on going, but I would always want to be on it with you, babe.
Speaker 1: In economy and we will be an economy. And look this week for some special episodes about to drop again. It's very special episode with Claire, her husband Ryan, who is silent but he's sitting there the entire time, and my good friends Ben Higgins and Andrew Firestone. That is all coming up in the next couple of weeks. Until then, take care of each other. So good to talk to you. I'll see you next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.