Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, so, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Miles were thrilled to be joined in their third seat by a hilarious comedian who's about to make her off Broadway debut with their stand up show How to Embarrass Your Immigrant Parents. She's also the creator of Emily and Paris.
Speaker 2: It's Abby govern d.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Hey guys, I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Not the creator of Emily Paris.
Speaker 3: That was just a massive good information campaign, man, that was extremely successful.
Speaker 1: So what happened you After Emily and Paris was somehow nominated for Best Comedy Series at the Golden Globes, you just were like, hell, yeah, I created the best Comedy series and like started saying some wild shit about Emily in Paris And this was the tweet February. Yeah, it was twenty.
Speaker 3: The original te viral was like, as the creator of Emaly in Paris, can I just say why the fuck were we nominated for a Golden Glove?
Speaker 2: Can I curse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, why were we nominated for Golden Globe? I made that show as a prank and then like several news that lets like tweeted it as if it was real, and I got reached out to by like the BBC. I talked about it in my solo show. Actually it's a lot of fun, and it was a lot of fun, Like it was a very fun month that that went viral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, oh, so you made it as a prank. Whoa, Yeah, so sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like got back to the past and the crew and the actual creator. It was insane, like it's it is really funny. I was like twenty two and living with my parents when this went viral. It was in like twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: One is on the phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah then that's it.
Speaker 3: It was just like this show is so bad that people earnestly thought that like some twenty three year old who lives with her parents like made the show. Yeah, it was really it was a fun time to be on the internet. It was it was like free posts woke, like it was fun to still be on the internet. Like being racist still had consequences in twenty twenty one days.
Speaker 1: Remember that vaguely now now.
Speaker 3: Like if you're racist on the internet, they hand you like a two hundred million dollars podcast deal and like a TV series. Back in my day, as when at the peak of woke, there used to still be consequences for being racist.
Speaker 1: And that's fun. Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: You tweeted a slur and people would like tweet out your home address and like text your high school and like, you know, make sure make sure you didn't get hired for work for another decade. Now, like you tweet out a slur, you get a million followers and a podcast deal.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like, hey, man, do you want to be the new face of Black Rifle Coffee? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally why not?
Speaker 2: I just like that one of the tweets that you did in that sort of string of the Emily and Paris of Yes, I am an Indian woman who created a show about a white girl in Paris. Why would I care about telling diverse stories when I can tell not diverse stories and make twenty million dollars from it.
Speaker 4: You guys did your research. This is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Is so funny. What is something for your search history?
Speaker 4: Something for my search history? How to give a dog a massage. I was thinking recently where I'm like, so you pet dogs, you cuddle dogs. Yeah, But I'm like, I bet they would want a massage too, especially as they get older and like their joints get, you know, start to hurt. And I googled how to give a dog a massage? And the video it was, I believe it or not, really fucking weird. So I I'm personally taking my foot off because the dogs up for it. You're like, what the Oh my god, no, but I'm sure that exists. I want to think about that's the natural. Next next they put on like the music, and it was more like rubbing than like kneading, you know, And I'm like, oh, I just want to give my dog like a little bit of a you know, some squeezes in the shoulders and the haunches and you know, pat him on the head is kind of what I was more looking for. But this was a whole, a whole fucking thing. So I think there's different degrees.
Speaker 2: Where'd you net out? Like what you so, what kind of service did you put?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Reiki? It was.
Speaker 4: It was a combination between a reiki and like a light tissue.
Speaker 2: I do that to my dog though, because I'm like, yeah, come on, man, you what you've had a heart? Like, I do the same thing mentally to my dog, thinking like, yeah, they'll like this, but I just kind of I saw like the neck because I'm like, well, they hold their necks up all the time, so I just kind of like just just work out those neck muscles and not in a way where I'm like is the pressure good, more just to be like here is soothing touch on your neck muscles? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like I wanted to do that to my dogs and they just never fucked with it. They just wanted like little scratches. Oh they're doing thing like this, Just what the fuck is this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all have our preferences as dogs. And speaking of the Reki thing, my now wife and I were like in Lake Arrowhead, which doesn't matter where we were, but it was for Valentine's Day and then we were like kind of hanging out after the dinner. So she like checked her phone real quick to make sure our dog was okay and had like a bunch of messages and her wrote or hour Rover wanted to give him energy healing like from wow, like and she was like oh wait, that won't hurt him, right, And then fifty minutes later she just like, I'm like, you're worse than this lady is, because like she's like, what tell us about his trauma? Like insinuating that there was drama. She's like, he can't be around skateboards. She may have been neutered like two weeks too early or something, And I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a real people.
Speaker 2: Do your dog a scorpio?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: Actually yea, yeah, he's a scorpio for sure scorpio.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that dog is such a scorpio.
Speaker 4: Scorp If you be like I don't know what month that is, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 4: I have no tolerance for it. I hate the sky.
Speaker 1: Anything, clouds, stars them all the sun, not Drune, not Drun, They're cool. Those are Angel had a nice conversation with h with some people with a drone podcast that we might have to have on this show. That'd be sick. Yeah, just how to fly him showing some sick footage that they caught.
Speaker 2: Damn you shot this in one take going through a sushi restaurant. That's sick.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is underrated? Underrated.
Speaker 5: Again going to the text stuff, I really think that open source software, Linux, the decentralized web, the feti verse, Mastodon, pixel fed, some of these these things that cannot be purchased by billionaires where there is like an actual community that's not just aggregated out of an algorithm to you and proliferated with ads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how it all.
Speaker 5: So Blue Sky is on an open protocol and these things I don't fully understand completely. The the fetti verse is on the activity pub protocol, which is the equivalent of you know how your email can reach every other email account. You could send from AOL to Gmail to proton or whatever, so you can you can follow people through different and interact with people through different social sites. So like of pixel fed hashtag, you could follow it through masted on or peer tube, which is like their version of YouTube. So it's it's more it's reliant on like donations and people chipping in and help me, but it's also people volunteer and just run servers and so it's a little more socialized. So it's it's not impenetrable, but it's certainly a little more insulated from getting billionaireed, getting musked, you know, having what happened to Twitter.
Speaker 2: Getting made awesome?
Speaker 1: You mean, getting just so good. It's like it's like X on steroids. Dude. You go down By Southwest? Yeah, oh man, we're we're down at south By Southwest during like the interactive part where like all these people with like pink lanyards are just like walking around with just the hungriest eyes trying trying to make eye contact with you. To you, guys, ask you what you think about AI and this new corporate landscape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say that is something that's overrated. I'm so sick of that, like being perpetuated as though. I mean, when you start a community, you have a town of have you ever driven through a small town there's like fifty people, you know, like they have a post office. You're like, how the fuck are they doing this? And they're basically all just trading around a million dollars. Maybe they're happy with it. And then to get to get bigger, you have to like create this new horizon, new landscape. So you're developing, you're growing, you're growing, and I think they've kind of run out.
Speaker 1: They've sold us on.
Speaker 5: This idea that it's just gonna keep going and AI is the next frontier and we're going to create so many jobs. And then today Google just laid off a ton of people. Their last quarter earnings were like twenty six billion dollars. I mean, get out of here. None of that shit has with.
Speaker 2: Stock performance, Dave, do you see the stock performance? That's yeah, that's what I care about.
Speaker 1: The shareholders, bless their hearts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jobs, shit, it's not because a trump FuG in the economy will just fire these people to keep our stock price up. Good, good, good.
Speaker 1: These layoffs are going to put their stock price on steroids. Man, it's gonna be like Google stock on steroids. Talk about putting things on steroids. I feel like, yeah, the idea that everything needs to grow forever and ever is like I remember that when we started the website cracked and like we were like growing and we were like, man, this is like a good size for this, Like we have a good team, we have like a good amount of like let's just like chill here for a little bit, just get good, get good and better at like what we're currently doing well. And like telling that to the parent company that owned us, they're like, no, how do you how do you scale on steroidal How we put this bad boy on steroids? Dude? You know?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So you guys are like doing way better than we ever thought was possible. How do we one hundred x that? What talking about? How do I one hundred XU by next year? That's the question. I need you eating, breathing, sleeping. So yeah, I think when that is your entire civilizations like DNA for a number of years, it's gonna it's gonna lead to weird, weird places. And I would say we're in weird places right now. And just how refreshing the idea of a small town where everybody's just trading around the same million dollars sounds to me right now is probably probably a problem. Probably suggests that there's something at large that's not not quite right with.
Speaker 5: I think everyone feels it to some degree, though, because I think that people do. I've been trying to, like I think of how when self help books come out, or when people like have a ted talk and they'll do some little like snippet or phrase a little axiom they have Mine lately is like mayke a little bit harder. And I think of like like two thousand five to Tenich when all this tech stuff was just kind of starting and going back to there and like, all right, it clearly blew out of proportion and made trillionaires and they don't give a shit about anyone else, and this wealth disparity is nuts, and people do miss that idea of like wait, wait, there are way more businesses like you could see brick and mortar businesses. Did everything have to get appified? Did I I mean, we all hated Blockbuster Video. We all hated like walking in there and getting the late fees because you couldn't drive over when you were sick to return your thing, and that that was a bad version of how they did it. But then you think of I used to like call ahead to a restaurant and go pick stuff up. I didn't have to have like a car service swing by and grab it for me, and everything getting appified on that level, like every delivery, you get everything being like I'm just at my computer all the time and like life is coming to me from these apps I use.
Speaker 2: And I mean there's still an advantage in calling a restaurant because a lot of the times they changed their prices for those apps. So yeah, it's funny when I look in like my phone book that has been like based in like you know, like Google calendar or whatever for like years, like all of the numbers that I have, and there's so many our restaurants that I used to just call up straight up and just make my order and then go pick up. And like, as I scroll through, I'm like, damn, I don't he's just that shit is gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So if we've tried to get back into that and just little things like make it a little bit harder and just going back to kind of a two thousand and eight sort of Yeah, I can call and swing by. It feels it feels a little more like that little town as opposed to like living in this gigantic future world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, giant hive mind? Where what content are you going to contribute to the giant hive mind? And yeah, they just removed all the friction from everything, which is what we thought we wanted, right, Like It's what like even now when I like wake up, I'm like, oh, that's like I have to see people today like that. I don't want to do that, Like I don't want to you know. The stuff that I'm not looking forward to is the friction but then that turns out to introspect be like the best parts of life. That was the texture that was exactly that was, oh you mean life. They just removed all of the contouring and different.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see anybody day so like in that version of the ideal world just being in some like matrix style pop or it's I just take my body heat and run the computer.
Speaker 1: But I feel like that's that's how I view think, Like what at my worst moment where I'm just like I just don't want to like risk anything. I don't want to you know, it's just my laziest, worst inclination, and it always like I I now know that that's the wrong instinct, Like I need to fight against that instinct. But I feel like they have used that instinct to just make our lives more and more closer and closer to the just being.
Speaker 2: Getting out of bed. Look what happened? You got to eat salad pot pie?
Speaker 1: That's had a salad in Texas? Were salad pot pie in Miles Term? Okay, what's something you thinks overrated?
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm gonna get haters for this, but I think seeing a movie in theaters is overrated.
Speaker 1: Wow, and now the show is over. Thanks well having.
Speaker 6: Yep, Like I think it's important. I think people should do it, like that should exist. I just don't like it very much. I to be on my couch.
Speaker 2: Were you always like anti theater? Like and then the with the everything coming on stream You're like, okay, thank you, now I'm winning, or you just know I was post together You're like, oh, yeah, I prefer couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it was working like co founding and being inside a basement theater like fourteen hours a day. I like, what I want to do for fun is not go be in another dark room, right, and then the pandemic and everything coming on streaming, Like when you when you had to go to a movie theater and that was the only way you could like see a new movie and you would make it a big thing and go with friends Like that was great. I liked that, But now that you have the option, I'm like, why would I do that? I want to be at home on my couch with my snacks and not pay a bunch of money for.
Speaker 1: Do you do people come over watch movie or you just yeah, that's yeah, it's nice, that's like a yeah, I do think I was underrating movie nights at home, Like for for a while, movie movie nights at home, make your own popcorn, like you know that that can be, but.
Speaker 2: I haven't done. We need to do the thing where people I haven't done the thing where people come over to watch a movie since like the days when I was getting screeners all the time, and that was like yo, they got fucking blah blah blah. I am legend we could watch that shit right now or whatever. But I do miss that actually, like that aspect of it I think would be fun rather than like, oh, I'm at home, I can watch this movie that's in the theater. Make it a thing to get together and we can.
Speaker 6: I also during the pandemic, we would do because when we were seeing movies and theaters all the time, there would be certain people I would go with to see certain movies, Like there were a couple of friends I always went to see the like King Kong and Godzilla movies, the new ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And so one of.
Speaker 6: Those came out in like twenty twenty one, and we did it over like FaceTime. We streamed it together over FaceTime. And then we also, like my husband and I have a National Theater membership, like where you can they have like recorded from the National Theater in London. They have recorded shows like Shakespeare's shows like Classic Theater and you that you could just like watch it like it's a movie. And so having people over to do that is really fun too, because it's a little cultury. But you're still at home on your couch and you don't have to like get dressed up and go out. You could just like watch a Shakespeare thing and then pause it and be like what, yeah, what.
Speaker 1: I have to look at? Um? Like, can we put the subtitles on? Actually this isn't helping right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did he propose to her? Or is he going to murder her? Right now?
Speaker 1: I know it's a joke, but how is it addiction?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 1: Man? That actors seemed to really enjoy delivering that. I just don't know what it meant.
Speaker 4: That's more.
Speaker 6: That's so much more fun with friends when you're allowed to talk, right man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm in a Shakespeare's show, I'm always laughing at the wrong part, like they did one Hamlet to Be or Not to Be? I think it's funny. I think it's a funny question.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all down to see Macbeth right now. Don't say that this.
Speaker 1: By the way, Hamlet would have been called skull guy if it was on television. Talker.
Speaker 4: That was just ghost writer.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we will be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back. We're back, dude, We're back, dude.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm always I've always got the stock app up on my smart smartphone device and just Pokemon go, dude. All right, so I have Pokemon Go up. But like in many ways, Pokemon Go, like can teach you a lot about the stock market, but I just I just live and die with that thing with the stockmanker. You know, I'm like everyone does. How's that freaking Nasdac doing?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: You know it's some p five hondo.
Speaker 2: Dude, just focus on the p the pepper because it stays grinding and.
Speaker 1: Pepper five hundred. Is that what it tell me that I'd like? Or yeah, it's uh something, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, this the line goeth downward, and you know, Trump continues to sort of make good on his promise to make the country as fucked up as possible, and he's had to deal with not only outrage from his voters, but also the oligarch homies and the hyper wealthy buddies because they do not like when stalks go down and the Dow continues to move in the wrong direction. And all Trump did on Monday just to try and like fucking help out like kind of steady things. Was he posted like over like one hundred times in six hours on truth social just anything.
Speaker 1: Did he really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, it was fucking wild. It was just ship like retweeting articles that were like Trump's doing good, like just this weird thing. He's like, let me just tweet out all the name.
Speaker 1: The first administration, having like a sense memory of like when things start going bad, he just like starts retweeting things compulsively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah right. It's like basically if a restaurant had like an account and they just started reposting their five star reviews when they're in the middle of like a racism controversy, they're like, but look at this one. Linda from Mission Viejo loved the penne But anyway, so now this has like become a huge thing with everyone talking from Fox News to the Wall Street Journal being like this is actually bad, Like I don't know what the fuck's going on like this because so many of these people are there's money, he's tied up in the stock market. They're like, what the fuck is like, now we're getting touched. Now the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: So now it is the big you know, you don't see it until it starts fucking touches money. Yeah, and then all of a sudden, the media class is like, wait a second, this hold on, this seems bad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The way I still stay wealthy is now being is now in jeopardy because of this guy. And now it's time for the media and Trump's lackey's to sort of tell the people why the chaos is good. There's one that I particularly sticks out to me, this guy Rob Schmidt, who's on Newsmax and one of their stupidest Like and that's that's an achievement to be one of their dumbest people on Newsmax. But yeah, this is he tweeted this out just to try and tell people to fucking chill the fuck out.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dow is plunging. This is happening because we have a president with the balls globalist economic agenda that's decimated American wages and quality of life. This is the pain that comes from real change. It's much easier to just pass the buck. So, yeah, Trump's balls are giving you pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, it's good. They're two big miles. I've been saying that they're so big. His smoke too, He smoked too tough. His ball's too big. I look, I don't give too much of a ship when the stock market is doing well, because that money is just getting funneled upward to corporations and like you know, they use it to do stock buybacks. But when the economy takes an absolute shit like, that's when trickle down economics actually becomes a thing.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, that trickles down on all of us. And when the stock mark goes down, Yeah, corporations are suddenly like, yeah, we've got we're facing headwinds. We've got to start firing people. When it goes up. Yeah, they just keep that money for themselves. So it's a real win win for like five people and lose lose for everyone else. But it's also a little thrilling when this happens, because it does seem to be the only thing that matters to this country in terms of who gets to wheel power is right when the stock fuck the money up, Yeah, don't fuck the money like that, keep the stock market on the rails so that the wealthy people and the wealthy corporations that drive everything forward. I wouldn't say progress, but like everything else, like keep the wheels of power emotion, like all that needs the money to go forward. But like the Democratic Party only really exists because they cater to keeping that whole, like the you know, the capital e economy. That's what like they sacrificed, Like that's what Obama sacrificed the hope and change message for when he like bailed out the Wall Street banks. It's you know why Bernie was not allowed to win against Hillary. And then I think like internalized Wall Street journal op eds caused Democratic voters to think Biden was the only real option in twenty twenty. But it also feels like the thing that could be the Jenga block that could cause this second administration to really fall apart, you know, like Trump, so Trump, Like there there definitely seems to be like more pop cultures support for Trump this time around. I just found out Tiger Woods like openly endorses Donald Joses.
Speaker 2: Trump said he was the tiger Woods of presidents right during that course, during spree here stupid.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts of rappers who are endorsing him in a way that I find troubling. The real buy in that it's important though that he had the first time around that he might stop having this time is Wall Street and the massive corporations like and you know, all of his like radical. We do things a little different around here. We serve things top us style. We cut all government programs and policies. If that fucks up the money of Wall Street and like the big e economy. I do feel like that's a thing that might make this second administration like a little bit interesting. Yeah, it might. It might start to the deep state might start really deep stating on his ass in a way that might make things pretty difficult for him. Otherwise, he's just going to keep you know, he'll be fine.
Speaker 4: And these corporations and big money people, they love predictability. They like to be able to predict how much money is going to come in. And when you have a guy making decisions even though his balls are so fucking big.
Speaker 1: It's one thing they didn't take into a complica. As they all back as they're like, I don't know, man, Like, let's just go full Trump. Let's I'm saying, all it's a ball market.
Speaker 4: That's rights is surging, dude, the nas sack?
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, yes, so one thing we do know about Trump ginormous sack.
Speaker 4: And ball's tiny, little bit tiny. But who needs one when you got one?
Speaker 2: You got we love We love potatoes around here, don't we.
Speaker 1: That's right? But yeah, I I I feel like it's it might just go in a different direction for him. Well it's I mean, it's clear that anytime keeps up, anytime someone comes in and disrupts the economy or like at least the status quo or talks about it, it it uses there the forces tend to sort of circle around to try and like purge it from the system. But I think in this time, because Trump comes in with such pro business speak, they're just having trouble wrapping their head around the fact that this guy is also absolutely rocking the boat, like in the most fucked up way, and they're like, wait, what, wait, where are all of our capital protecting instincts now or have they gone out the window as they try and because now it's just turning into like begging on Fox News, where people are like, I would tell him a president, you know, if this is a sales pitch, maybe we need to tweak the sales pitch a little bit and really get people to understand sort of how we look at this long term. And you know, I don't know how people like they're supposed to look at that last tweet and be like, yeah, my entire my whole retirement might be in jeopardy because he has elephantiasis.
Speaker 2: Yay, what is it? The balls and the males. The thing is, this guy is destroying the economy intentionally, and I know many people are just like, well, he's just dumb. He doesn't He's like he's dumb and doing it on purpose. That's why it looks so fucking ridiculous, because his way of doing it is so absurd, and he talks tough on tariffs and walks it back so then and then threatens them again and again. Like you're saying, Blake, it's that unpredictability that sends the markets in the direction that it is. And then while people are fearing like a full blown recession, Trump only worsens the problem when he gives answers like this a lot of people were sharing this clip of him talking to Maria Bartiromo where she's just like this whole interview was meant to like calm the market and be like I'm gonna throw you soft balls, like saying, you know, do you expect a recession? And then you just say no, you say, this is I'm very confident in what's going to happen. But this is how this fucking question was handled. When Maria asked the dear leader, because there.
Speaker 5: Are rising worries about a slowdown, You've got the Atlanta Federal Reserve saying we're going to have a contraction in.
Speaker 7: The first quarter.
Speaker 1: Look, I know that you.
Speaker 5: Inherited a mess, and you say, here, are you expecting a reception this year?
Speaker 2: I hate to predict things like that. Oh no, there is a period of transition because what we're doing is very big.
Speaker 1: We're bringing wealth back to America.
Speaker 4: Okay, can you answer the recession?
Speaker 1: What about the I hate to use words like recession. I hate to predict anything.
Speaker 2: The best it was like, and you inherited a mess.
Speaker 8: That been two weeks hours, two weeks.
Speaker 1: I don't have been.
Speaker 8: Here, been here for like, yeah, so this is it's getting bad and again the like Wall Street Journal has op eds now that essentially, like the distillation of the op eds are like, please stop, motherfucker, our precious stunks.
Speaker 2: And economy are shipping the bed and meanwhile gas. Gavin Newsom's new bestie Charlie Kirk is telling his viewers that they need He said, they need to shut up about egg prices, just as now just what they do, like, just shut up about the thing that I was telling you that he's gonna make better. And he also told us he's gonna make just shut up about it now, okay some Newsom? Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see where this goes if he if he's able to. I don't know. The one thing that like keeps me from thinking this is going to continue to fall apart is that I feel like a lot of the like stock market and just like market economy in general to this point, has been like that they can just kind of will themselves to stay, you know, like they can like during the pandemic. They were just like, I don't know what, We'll be fine, like just pretend like shit is good. We'll raise prices. We'll just yeah, we'll raise crisis and we'll scam PPP loans, push, push the pain downwards. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This a scary thing about him too, is that I'm trying to find a silver lining and a sack of shit, but like he in a big bald.
Speaker 1: Sec of shit.
Speaker 4: But he does He's like the most thing that was such a like a scary word in politics, which is now probably like fifteen twenty years is he just couldn't care less. Where the guy doesn't say anything that he actually believes it or thinks this is true. So he will pause tariffs, he'll take the tariffs away, he'll put the terriffs back, and they'll be like, hey, remember when you tried to put tariffs and it was destroying the economy, Like I don't we like, let's not talk about prices.
Speaker 1: Up about it prices.
Speaker 2: It is this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is nice to see them going through the exact same thing that Democrats were going through, where it was why doesn't everybody shut the fuck up about all the ways we're doing.
Speaker 2: A bad job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just the job of a party when they're in power, is like telling their supporters stop protesting. Guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just everybody, wait shop, why are you pointing out all the fucking inconsistencies and what we campaigned on and what we're delivering. This is like hater ration in the nation in his dancery the ration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's kind of ties directly, Blake, when you were talking about about just the fact that they say whatever is whatever benefits them in the moment. Is my theory on the jd vance memes. So our writer jam was wondering if there's a deeper truth behind these jd vance memes.
Speaker 2: Ease from Wired, who's the where's that quote from the deeper meaning thing? The deeper meaning or no deeper true? Oh, Gizmoto it was. It was the Gizmoto article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Gizmoto wrote an article that was arguing that it's these memes are apparently popular across both the left and the right, Like the right is also meming him.
Speaker 2: Have you seen you've seen those, right, Blake, the like Toddler face jd vance means yeah, yeah, well they're they're everywhere. Yeah, it's like the new currency of the Internet.
Speaker 4: It was after the Ukraine meeting, right that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, like quick background on it. If you're on the internet, you're seeing his boldest face staring back at you. It took off after the Zelensky meeting, which this one is still my favorite.
Speaker 2: Like they just took the.
Speaker 1: Picture of him saying like you gotta say please and thank you, mister Winsky, and just like gave him the biggest cheeks and he just looks like a big baby, and it's really well executed. And then people from there, I mean people have been doing that for a little while, like turning him into a cabbage patch doll, but that it really took off, and now it's like all anybody's doing. I don't know what he actually looks like anymore. Yeah, there's the overly patriotic Minion is one that I've seen Baron Harkonen from Dune, although yeah, he looks a little kind of shredded in that one.
Speaker 2: I feel like he looks like Alex Jones, like in that one where he's kind of look like emerging emerging from the and head his they swapped out his head for.
Speaker 1: The nuclear explosion from the original Akira manga. Hell, yeah, that's all great stuff. Although it should be noted that the photoshopping of jd Vance began on the Republican side when Congressman Mike Collins as our friend of the show. Former guest kat Abou put it Mike Collins yasified Vance's portrait. Do you guys remember this like where there was a portrait of him and they just like made him look like a chat They just turned him into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it was like it's like ozembic mixed with some botox and fillers basically yeah, yeah and human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just made him, yeah, just stud instead of around faced baby, and so they baby, they threw the first stone in this battle. But now, like even Fox News is reporting on the liberal trolls sharing the meme and like it's just a great screen tap.
Speaker 2: It's wild to have that Chiron and like run this image, or says liberal trolls share wild memes of JD. Vans and then just show all these fucking brutal memes. Like yeah, why even I think that's where it's there is like this weird appeal even to Republicans, where normally like sure, there's always like they'll do the thing, Like you know, I remember there was a plenty of outrage reporting on like the shitty memes people would post of like the Obamas or Biden or whatever, but like in this version, like it feels like they're trying to also be like, look what they're fucking doing to us, but also like they're showing so many that I'm sure people are just like, yeah, that's kind of funny though that it looks about right, And when you consider the fact that Republicans are also sharing this too, and again.
Speaker 1: Sees like everybody, Yeah, there's a Yahoo article that says but they're equally if not more popular on the right explicitly pro Trump accounts on x that otherwise spend their time bashing the Liberals or posting embarrassing memes of the party second in command. I feel it does feel like the cat fucking all over again. I do want to note he tried to get in on the joke. He posted a meme of himself as Leonardo DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, like pointing at the TV, But he of course just combined his face with Leonardo DiCaprio, so he like looked handsomer than he actually is. So he's not not really ready to laugh at himself so much as just once is like, hey, guys, I can so handsome. I am kind of but yeah, So Gizmoto's argument is that, like the you know, the popularity of these is evidence that there's something uniquely alien and awful about him, and that the distorted version of his face actually speaks to a deeper truth. And I think there's something true there. Like I think, like i'd say, there's something like unacknowledged in his persona, in particular that he went from being like this liberal darling on MSNBC to like people were like calling him like a hope for like defeating Trump, like on the on the Republican side, to like being business nazi and the vice president in the space of like a few years. And I feel like, you know, it's boring to say, like these guys are empty suits, so don't believe in anything, but there is something existentially terrifying about the fact that the way you get ahead in this current version of our society is to be completely devoid of belief and just like not yeah, just be willing to have meaning and belief projected onto you and be completely otherwise empty and not believe in anything. It's just like this like complete nihilism that he represents and the fact that he's just this completely malleable asshole who like succeeds in like going from one extreme to another at a time when you know people like this is these belief systems are like, you know, liberal versus mega people are like, we're about to have a civil war over this, and then you have this guy who just like fits in on both sides. I feel like there's like something existentially terrifying about that, And so to attack that malleability by making up memes about him fucking couches that just seem true immediately, or like bending his face in ways that also seem true like that, it's like kind of attacking him at his using his superpower against him. You know. It's it's true that, like I can't picture what he looks like now because I've seen so many and that, like I don't know that that would be true of other people necessarily, but because he just there's something he's just a complete fucking cipher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's because he's to your point, because he's so amorphous, Yeah, to be able to ascend and to like fit in whatever space he needs to to curry favor or gain power. It's like, yeah, that same amorphousness lends itself to be like oh well, you now, now you can actually be anything we say you are. Yeah, like and sort of it like like that's the subtext. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like with spies, like in movies where they're like the perfect spies, someone who's not memorable, you know, and it's like, oh, he is the least memorable person, like from Ohio, you know, like it's if it wasn't for his eyelashes, you know, like if you would be beautiful eye like yeah, and he is.
Speaker 2: He kind of looks like he kind of looks like one of the dudes who would have pulled up with Zod in Superman.
Speaker 1: He does look like one of the dudes who you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 2: They also had like kind of the beard with like the smoky eyeliner vibe and a'most.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, he was creating.
Speaker 2: You were kicking it with ood bro. You were at that one bearded homie. Yeah, what was your name? God, what was your name? That wasn't me. I'm sorry, I'm just just here to install your cable.
Speaker 1: Anyways, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be ready.
Speaker 2: And we're bad.
Speaker 4: We're back and all right.
Speaker 1: So you know that this has been kind of the ongoing story of this week is the economy has taken a big old ship. Yeah, the economy, the big stay the economy, the one that the mainstream media pays attention to, the one that will fuck us over. You know, it's a It has the ability. So when it's going good, it doesn't make most effect rich. It's not good for regular people. The rich people just do stock buybacks for like the c suite. But when it's going bad, it really really fucks everybody up. And it's going bad, so that's not good.
Speaker 2: No, And the thing the economy is like one of the main reasons people gave as to why they wanted Trump back in office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's government business president, business guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, and who could blame them if you aren't aware of all the existential threats that he poses to America and you're only metric for deciding who to vote for in a presidential race. Is my life good in twenty nineteen, then yeah, sure, great, you've you've you've succeeded there. But like their, CNN recently did a poll on Trump's handling of the economy, and he is in the worst position he's ever been in forty four percent approved fifty six percent disapprove. That's a net thumbs down of twelve percent. And on Vox they sort of plotted out sort of where this was in terms of like other polls and economy, and this is a total outlier, Like it's fucking yeah, yeah, that's way the fuck down, you know what.
Speaker 1: It's total reminding me of Actually this is so stupid, But this is reminding remember how like when George Lucas brought the prequels back, everyone was like, and now we can have the pure George Lucas vision and with like all the people just being like, you're a genius, George. You got this one, George, And then it came out and it just sucks shit because it was like he and like all like when you hear him talk about the original trilogy of Star Wars, he's always like complaining about all the notes he got and like all the battles he had to fight, and like people give it like pushing back and and like making it's good, yeah, making it like yeah, reining in his worst instincts and being like, I mean that's a cool idea. Let's go with the cool idea and not like the shitty one where you think you're like a good comedy director and that jar Jar Binks is going to be the future of I feel like this is the Star Wars prequels of the Trump presidencies, where he just is fully it's all gas, no breaks, and he the only thing that was keeping anything on the rails up to this point was the breaks, Like yeah, yeah, that was it, and now it's now we are off the fucking charts. Literally, we're we are in the in the scene where Jorjar Binks is like doing comedic pratfalls that like kill people at the end of that first movie.
Speaker 2: But he's fighting, man, He's fighting. But you know, this polling and just generally the attitude from the town halls and everything. People are fucking they can see for themselves that this is like affecting their day to day, like whether it's people getting laid off, lack of prices coming down, Dodge trucks going up, and the tens of thousands of dollars overnight because of tariffs and shit like that, and the polling all that rattled them because now the right wing is just going so hard on telling people that the tariffs that are fueling all this chaos are good. So just a couple let's just take a quick tour of some of the takes from the right wing taka sphere. This first one is from Laura Ingram, who is telling her viewers to literally just ignore the talk about the economy. Just don't listen to it. Step one. This is Laura Ingram explaining this is how you protect yourself from all the haters.
Speaker 9: Isn't it great to have an optimistic president who had a real plan to make life.
Speaker 5: Better for Wall Street and Main Street?
Speaker 9: Just ignore the sky is falling reports in the regime press.
Speaker 1: June out the breathless reporting about.
Speaker 5: Market gyrations because even the most dedicated globalists they know Trump is good for business.
Speaker 6: That was it's wildest to call the mainstream media the regime regime. Yeah, you guys control the entire government right now.
Speaker 1: You are the regime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, Laura defined regime necessarily for me, Just so I'm just so we're clear on that.
Speaker 1: Sonore all the negative stuff the regime media is saying about, dear leader, Yes.
Speaker 2: Please find a new angle. Regime media again. And every version of someone on Fox has there. I think everyone's got their own little spin on how to be like, how do we get these people to fucking ignore the tariffs or try and spin the tariffs as good. This is Greg Guttfeld doing his he's given the listeners or the viewers on Foxin's or the Five. This is Greg Guttfeld's four dy chests on how to navigate tariffs.
Speaker 9: You know, a tariff is not a tax if you don't buy the goods. And I'm tired of the media calling the tariff a tax.
Speaker 4: It's the opposite.
Speaker 9: You know, a government issued tax is an involuntary cost on you. You're paying for stuff that as a New Yorker you don't benefit from.
Speaker 4: I spent.
Speaker 9: I pay a small fortune in taxes and I still have psychopaths.
Speaker 2: Living on my street. I have a roads that destroy the.
Speaker 9: Car suspension, and I can't take the subway.
Speaker 2: But I put more taxes than my dad tade in his whole.
Speaker 9: Life as an income. But it doesn't really matter. I'm gonna make she's so happy right now. You know what causes inflation. I'm glaring at Harold DEI, oh uh, And Harold.
Speaker 1: Is the one person of color in the rest, exactly, And he's glaring at Harold.
Speaker 2: And then they're like he's joking. Haha, it's again whatever, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. But that's so that's sick, dude, tight. So do you don't got to pay on the terraff if you just don't buy like the fucking food, don't buy it. It's important all the shit that's important for American consumers. Like does he have any idea how much we have to import to this economy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's also such just like a rich brain rot thing of like I pay for the subway, but I don't even use the subway. And it's like, do you do you not use the subway because you live in a gated community in Connecticut? Do you or know you live in New York? So okay, do you not use the subway because you get driven everywhere?
Speaker 2: Like that? I don't take the subway because people know I'm a racist piece of shit and they front me about it on the subway. And that's the fucking issue, right. I thought it'd be just another anonymous white guy in a Patagonia vest, but I'm not. But again, these things are fucking tax hikes on consumers, Like he's looking at it again like the most overly simplistic way in that he's saying, well, the higher prices will make a consumer just want to buy the American stuff, and then that's how it helps, you know, everybody get more America centric. But again, these taxes, we all know this. These are just passed on to the consumer, because since when is a fucking company a business telling us, oh, yeah, well we'll totally make less money on this, and you know what will absorb the hit. We're not going to pass that onto the consumer. That's not right.
Speaker 6: We also, like America can't we can't feed our own people on the food we grow here. We have to import food.
Speaker 4: We have to.
Speaker 2: That's an optional.
Speaker 1: You don't like potato chips made out of corn and hamburgers made of corn.
Speaker 6: Nobody's saying anything bad about corn here.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you don't like corn when the other countries have to raise their prices. Also, just like, based on what we've seen from corporations in the past I don't know, decade, like, it seems inevitable that the corporations are also the American corporations, even if they don't have to, will raise their corporation raise their prices because they can, and like that's they raise their prices anytime they can, and so if the competition raises prices, they just raised their prices as well. That's basically what we've seen with inflation. Even though that that description puts a bunch of like economists and you know, consultants out of out of work, so it's never the one that we get. But that seems to be what's happening. Yeah, Yeah, inflation across the board for like, you know, as long as it's been happening in the past five years, Like as inflation's happening, corporations are making record profits like that that's all you need to know. That's all you need to know. Like they they're making way more money than they've ever made and inflation is going up. Like those two things are related. I think we're making of profits. Are the ones raising the prices?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember we were doing this as it was happening, Jack, Like we kind of stopped even trying to say inflation because that gave all these companies cover for their just out in the open greed. Because there are many studies you know that was like in twenty twenty three, like fifty corporate profits or something like half of the like driving force of inflation. It wasn't actual supply the shit that they tried to tell us in the like twenty twenty twenty twenty one. At a certain points, it's like fuck it, bro, just keep turning to the fucking heat. Upeah.
Speaker 6: But anyways, I think sorry, I think egg prices are a really good microcosm of this because, like, we know, there's bird flu that's like being reported on genuine public health like threat but also killing all the chickens. But there are egg conglomerates whose farms have not been hit by bird flu who are raising their prices because they can because everybody knows bird flu is out there and will accept higher prices. Like it's a market economy, which but it's a market economy run by conglomerates that are essentially monopolies. So they get to price hike when they can get away with it.
Speaker 2: Man, it's like, oh yeah, we're like just you know, we are forty percent of the companies, just this one. It'll it'll look it looks different because the boxes are different. Yeah, we do different boxes, and so it simply options. But then this whole idea of the tariffs as tykes tax hike has come up because you know Caroline Levitt, who's the terrible Press secretary of the White House, she was pressed by the Associated Press during a briefing on this and she just goes like, oh man, she just just spins herself into circles, being like, these are not tax hikes on American people. Just because the prices go up doesn't mean it's a taxi. I mean, this is her getting very, very defensive over the definition of a tariff or taxi, and it gets a little snippy. Let's see this actually.
Speaker 10: Not implementing tax hikes. Tariffs are a tax hike on foreign countries that again have been ripping us off. Tariffs are a tax cut for the American people. And the President is a staunch advocate of tax cuts. As you know. He campaigned on no taxes on tips, no taxes on overtime, no taxes on Social Security benefits. He is committed to all three of those things, and he expects Congress to pass them later this year.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, have you ever paid a tariff? Because I have, don't get charged on four.
Speaker 10: And ultimately, when we have fair and balanced train, which the American people have not seen in decades, as I said at the beginning, revenues will stay here, wages will go up, and our country will be made wealthy again. And I think it's insulting that you're trying to test my knowledge of economics and the decisions that this president has made.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, Caroline, let's keep it a book, my darling. You don't know what it is. But I like though that you do the I think it's insulting that you're like calling me out and just broadly act as if what you said was correct on any planet.
Speaker 1: She is not incorrect. It is insulting. It just happens to be accurate.
Speaker 2: And also, yeah, right, have you ever paid it? I love it that reporter. It's like, I'm sorry, have you even paid a tariff? Do we even?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck are we even talking about here? That guy sucks too, though.
Speaker 6: It's like kind of a perfect It's like, I'm not I agree with what he's saying, Like his content of what he's saying is correct, but I'm like, the way you're saying this sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that is the problem with the mainstream importing a bunch of phrase T shirts that I'm going to be selling outside of Coachella tariff.
Speaker 2: I paid it now. It's funny this exact quote. This is like basically not everyone is in agreement over like if these tariffs are good, Because this is Ben Shapiro, he is not. He's like, well, yo, what the heck is going on? Full like, please explain what the fuck is happening. Here's a clip of Ben Shapiro from his show. This is him reacting to that Caroline Lovett exchange with the Associated Press.
Speaker 11: Again, I'm gonna need some clarification as to how this is actually going to in the short term, medium and long term benefit Americans. We can talk about other countries ripping us off as much as we want. And again, if the goal here is to lower the tariffs by getting other countries to lower their tariffs, then great, I'm all in makes sense. But if the idea is the tariffs themselves, wo enrich the American people, that is against pretty much all economic knowledge for the last couple of centuries or so.
Speaker 4: So maybe I'm wrong, Maybe it'll turn out to be great.
Speaker 2: I think he goes like he even like it's somehow it's a bridge. Maybe are it's a bridge too far from you? Because I bet this guy's stock portfolio almost look like deep fried dog shit. If he's like, I don't know what, what's the fucking deal here, Like, explain it to me because I'm not feeling it right now. I don't like what I'm seeing because a lot of people show all the gains that have been made in a lot on most of the stock markets since Trump came in office have been erased from all of the tariff bullshit. So that's who I feel with the worst for all those gains.
Speaker 6: Jack, Yeah, what's that onion headline that's so good? Or no, it's a Jezebel headliner or no, not god, I don't know. It's a headline that's like, uh yeah, it's a reductrous headline that is like, oh, no, worst person you know just made a good point?
Speaker 2: Yeah right right right exactly. Yeah for him to be like, I just what the just again, they're throwing their hands up, and I think this is this is going to continue to be a nightmare for the Republicans because it's one thing to tell a person like in Kentucky that the southern border is a hellscape and that immigrants thousands of miles away are doing dog buffets on the locals, because that's like an obscure and nebulous threat that they can just sort of create in someone's mind in the theater of the imagination. But is it completely different endeavor to tell someone that is seeing the prices not come down at their local stores, that is seeing their retirement go fucking wacky because it's tied to the stock market, that the reality that they are experiencing is not what they are in fact experiencing. And I think that's just you're just seeing them really fucking grapple with this. And there's plenty of true believers who don't, who are completely disconnected from that. But you can see not everybody is quite on board with this, especially the capitalists who their life's blood is the fucking market and that is, you know, that's not doing the thing that it needs to be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems pretty clear. Sorry, I was distracted. I was working on something. The Italian magician made the bench Disapiro, and then for the prestige he made the bench Shapiro. Oh, bench Hero. Wow, that's what I've been working on over here.
Speaker 2: How dare you.
Speaker 1: Just the way you're saying his name, like bench.
Speaker 2: Bench Shapiro, your bench Shapiro.
Speaker 1: Bench Shapiro. You know, the bench disappeared and that is a Piro. So you're, well, you got that, Kate, did you get that?
Speaker 6: Like I'm still processing yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: To think exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like the movie The Prestige.
Speaker 1: Right, damn though, so tight.
Speaker 6: Wow, Wheeler's man.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show if you like, The show means the world to Miles. He he needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to him Monday. Bye.