Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Friday, July fourth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. Yes, Walmart is open today on the fourth of July. So it's Target, so it's home depot home. So is Low's all those retailers stay open. They're taking advantage. So I'm saying this now because I wake up every morning I look at Google trends, and one of the top trends was that question. Is Walmart opened on the fourth of July.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Well, now everyone knows it is, indeed, but your.
Speaker 3: Mail ain't coming today, so know that. But happy forth to you wherever you may be. But should you actually be celebrating our nation's independence two days ago? Turns out government paperwork has even been a problem as far back as seventeen seventy six. This is my favorite story of the day.
Speaker 1: Ro Yes, some things never change, but actually some really interesting bits of information in that. Also, we have a new Congressional record for the longest House speech ever, all in an attempt to delay President Trump's Big Beautiful Bill. It may have been delayed, but it still passed. Trump has a signing party later today.
Speaker 3: Also, the Supreme Court is taking up the issue of transgender athletes competing in women and girls sports. Also, eighteen people shot, four killed in a mass shooting in Chicago and the gunman still on the loose this morning.
Speaker 1: Plus one of Diddy's jurors is speaking out defending the jury's deliberation process and its verdict. Plus fame apparently does not protect you from deportation. Mexican boxer Julio Caesar Chavez Junior has been arrested for overstaying his visa.
Speaker 3: And we've lost Michael Manson, iconic actor with that raspy voice, that tough guy he starred in nearly every Quentin Tarantino film. He has passed away suddenly at the age of sixty seven. Also, it turns out the rumors were true. Confirmation now from Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom that they have ended their nine year relationship. I hated to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always said here, but it looks like they are parting ways amicably, and I guess that's the best you can hope for with a.
Speaker 2: Split like that. We do begin our run on this fourth of.
Speaker 1: July with a happy second of July, and it doesn't really have the same ring to it as happy fourth of July. But the second might actually be the day we are supposed to be celebrating our country's independence.
Speaker 2: This is a really fun story that you dug up.
Speaker 3: We went through school. I am forty seven and I just learned this fact about this nation's history. Yes, why in the world with the second of July be our actual independence day? Because July second, seventeen seventy six is when the Continental Congress officially voted on that resolution to decline independence from Britain. This happened after a month long debate. They voted unanimously to declare our independence. In fact, John Adams famously wrote to his wife the next day, on July third, saying this, and I quote, the second day of July seventeen seventy six will be the most memorable epic in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the Great Anniversary festival. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, games, sports guns, bells, bonfires, illuminations from one end of the continent to the other from this time forward forever more robes. He kind of got it right immediately, it just got the date wrong, got the date wrong. He was wrong about which day we would choose to do all that. But I thought it was fascinating that he nailed it the very next day, that this is going to be the biggest day in this place's history. But we decided to do it on the fourth and stay.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that was from John Adams the second day of July seventeen seventy six. He predicted this country would forever celebrate its independence day. Yeah, just on the wrong day. So if even he thought July second should be the country's true anniversary day, what happened that we now celebrate on July fourth instead?
Speaker 2: In a word, paperwork, this is too good.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Continental Congress passed the resolution declaring independence on July second, but the accompanying paperwork that went along with the new resolution was not ready yet, namely, yes, the actual declaration of independence. They were putting some finishing touches on the exact language and the public declaration that was going to go out to the world.
Speaker 1: That language and that document, the declaration of Independence did not get wrapped up until July fourth, So when news spread about independence and the document made the rounds, the date of July fourth was affixed to the top of the document and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Boom, there you have it. July seconecond is the country's actual official birthday. But even the government was running behind him paperwork back then when we first first started. So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: It was very cool.
Speaker 3: One of the little interesting. Not Tom Tom Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, very important to our declaration of independence. Both of them died on July fourth.
Speaker 2: That's wild, right, Yeah, a little, a little creepy, Yeah, strange.
Speaker 3: I did a deep die. I was. I was deep into my history. Today. Schoolhouse rocketed today. We continue, though, on the run, on this fourth of July. Look, wee robe sweet, We're not. We don't tend to be rude people. We give everybody a break, that's right. We never want to necessarily criticize. So it would be rude of us if we were to say that the House Minority leader, A Keen Jeffries talks too damn much. We would never say something like that. However, he did just talk longer than anybody in the history of the House of Representatives.
Speaker 1: The Louisiana congressman spoke for eight hours and forty five four minutes yesterday during debate over the President's Big Beautiful Bill. It was part of Democrats effort to delay passage of Trump's legislative package. Jeffries beat the previous record of Republican Mike McCarthy. He said that in twenty twenty one with eight and a half hours. So yeah, he did it by an extra fourteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Not everybody can do this as a special procedural rule they have that's called the Magic minute, which everybody else is supposed to get just a minute, but the leaders get as much time as they want. So he stretched this out to eight hours forty four minutes. I'm sure Corey Booker was smiling somewhere, wasn't he. Yes, Now, the speech was only a delay tactic because it was delaying the inevitable. Trump's Big Beautiful Bill was ultimately approved a short time after Jeffrey's marathon speech, the vote to eighteen to fourteen. The president is scheduled to sign it at a Fourth of July celebrations supposed to happen today at around five o'clock Eastern time.
Speaker 1: All right, Next up on the run, it looks like the Supreme Court will settle one of the most debated, often heated, and often emotional issues of our day. Should transgender athletes be allowed to compete on women's and girls' teams?
Speaker 3: The Justices have agreed to take up a case in which trans athletes are challenging state laws that ban them from competing. The athletes won in lower courts who ruled that the students' rights were being violated. The Supreme Court will hear the case in their next term in October. The decision that not expected to be heard until next year. Now, we mentioned this is a case involving two states, but we have about two dozen states that have such laws that ban trans athletes from competing on women's and girls teams. So this is going to have countrywide implications.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a debate that needs to have some resolution to it because it just keeps going on and on and on. All right, Next up on the run, we're going to head to Chicago, where there was a late night mass shooting.
Speaker 2: It happened around eleven pm.
Speaker 1: Four people were killed, fourteen others injured after a vehicle pulled up and opened fire on a crowd that was leaving a nightclub hosting an album release party for a local Yeah.
Speaker 3: Chicago police superintend to call the act deplorable and cowardly, saying they didn't care who was struck and in a matter of seconds they were able to shoot eighteen people. Police believe the venue was targeted, but they aren't sure if any specific person was targeted. Two men two women, all in their twenties, were killed.
Speaker 1: And four of the fourteen people who were wounded have been hospitalized and are in critical condition this morning. So yes, unfortunately, several people still fighting for their lives. The vehicle fled the scene immediately after opening fire, and so far, no one has been taken into custody. Chicago's mayor said they will not rest until there is full accountability, but the police who were on the scene described it as one of the worst scenes they've ever seen in their life. It was chaotic, there was blood everywhere, people were screaming it. They just described it as just a horror show.
Speaker 3: And I'll ask if you know, because I didn't see it. In my read, is it they're just looking for a lone gunman.
Speaker 2: They didn't specify.
Speaker 1: I mean, someone was driving, and it seems like someone was had some sort of assault rifle to be able to shoot that many people that quickly.
Speaker 3: All right, folks, we continue on this fourth of July. Run now with one of the jurors from the Diddy trial has spoken. Didn't say much though, but didn't want to let another moment go by rhades because the jury is now being I guess in some circles criticized soundly for the decision they made. So yes, this juror didn't say a whole lot, didn't want to be identified, but did want to defend that jury. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The juror said they heard a legal expert suggest that Diddy's celebrity influenced their verdict, and the juror said that was highly insulting and belittling to the jury and the deliberation process.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Well, you say, if you just went through all this for eight weeks or whatever and put in this work and somebody's telling you, oh, you just caught up in celebrity, that is an insult.
Speaker 2: It's offensive.
Speaker 3: Yes, went on to say this as well. We spent over two days deliberating our decision was based solely on the evidence presented and how the law is stated. We would have treated any defended in the same manner, regardless of who they are. I have nothing else to say and quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could feel the annoyance in that juror's voice, even though we couldn't hear it.
Speaker 2: I just I have nothing else to say. Boom, Mike drop.
Speaker 3: This wasn't a sit down interview.
Speaker 1: No, this is probably like a rogue call and just got a little angry and said something maybe they didn't mean to say.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: An alternate jurornamed George, also spoke to a few news outlets, and although he was not a part of the deliberation process, he told reporters that he understood the verdict. He said, reading all of my notes and looking back at the evidence, I probably would have reached the same conclusion as the other jurors.
Speaker 2: So backing up the jury's decision.
Speaker 3: We are really all of us are fascinated to hear about the jury and what happened in that jury room. There is something about the statement that the juror put out. I appreciate it. For some we're so used to just reading we saw nothing from the courtroom. So this goes in line with what we've been doing. I kind of appreciate it, not seeing or hearing the voice, just having to imagine, yes, and just reading the words.
Speaker 1: Again, right, because I said you could hear it in his voice. Wait, no, we didn't hear it in his voice, but I heard it in my head. I heard and I don't even know if it was a he They it's true. I heard a voice in my head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the normal one. All right, folks, stay with us here on this fourth of July run when we come back. A beloved actor we have lost now, Michael Mattson has died suddenly. Also, a Mexican boxer was fighting on Saturday. However, the government says he should have been deported on Friday. Also coming up on this day. They have confirmed what the rumors have been saying. But we're sad about another Hollywood brick up. All right, folks, we continue on this happy Independence Day, which should have been two days ago, by the way. No, we continue on our fourth of July run here now with a famous Mexican boxer with a very famous name, who just fought in a very high profile fight last Semeaturday is being deported.
Speaker 1: Julio Caesar Chavez Junior has been detained by ICE after Homeland Security says it determined he's been in the country illegally and has warrants for his arrest back in Mexico for having cartel ties. The DHS statement described him as a prominent Mexican boxer and criminal illegal alien.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was very prominent just last Saturday because he fought and lost to influencer Jake Paul in front of a sold out arena in Anaheim. Now. Chavez is a former world champion and the son of Julio Caesar Chavez, perhaps the most popular, revered, and beloved athlete in Mexico. Ever, he has undeniably one of the most famous names in all of Mexico. Chavez his family says he's innocent. His lawyer called his arrest another attempt to terrorize the Latin community. But he does have a home there in southern California, in the La area where where the fight was in southern California. But yeah, dozens of a couple dozen officers went to his house, picked him up, and they are sending.
Speaker 2: Him mild You know, I don't know all the rules.
Speaker 1: I've never known that, but I thought perhaps if you were working here, you had a home here, you wouldn't be in a situation where you'd have to be deported.
Speaker 3: But all I could think about was if they say they found out a day before the fight that he was supposed to be deported, what would have happened if the fight would have been called off? Those millions wow on the line for this. But it's moving forward, all right.
Speaker 1: It's next up on the run. We have lost an iconic actor who's face I know you know so well. Actor Michael Madson has passed and suddenly at the age of sixty seven. He was best known for his work in Quentin Tarantino films, playing the sadistic mister Blonde and reservoir Dogs.
Speaker 3: Who can Forget?
Speaker 1: Who can forget? The cutting off of the ear? His character did that Mister Blonde. He also had starring roles and kill Bill, Once Upon a Light, Sorry, Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Wyatt, Irb, Donnie Brasco, just to name a few.
Speaker 2: I mean, the list goes on and on and on.
Speaker 3: Him in Donne Brasco because he played a very famous mobster, Sunny Black. But he could pull off these roles. He's well known for his ability to portray a menacing character. He is not a warm, cuddly guy. I don't even remember seeing him play a dad in a film.
Speaker 1: He was a dad, I can't. He was a love interest in thlmon Luise who He's had a couple.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw that. That's not shocking to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, But he once told a reporter of this, Nobody wants to put me in a suit and a tie and have me sitting in office. Let alone give me love scenes. People are a lot more comfortable when I have a cigarette in my mouth and a gun in my hand.
Speaker 2: I saw that quote and I loved it.
Speaker 1: I thought it just summed up nearly every character we've seen him play.
Speaker 3: And there are just some guys who are menacing. There's some well there's not an insult, and some guys embrace it. But Madson was one of those guys. But he was found unresponsive at his Malible home yesterday morning. Is Publish Is later confirmed he died from cardiac arrest.
Speaker 1: Oh so sad and listen to this, he was, Oh this, this really this chokes me up.
Speaker 2: He was still working and working hard. He had eighteen projects in the works.
Speaker 1: While right before he died, his repsit he was actually really looking forward to this next chapter of his life.
Speaker 2: He had a new book.
Speaker 1: He has a new book that's set to hit bookshelves in September called Tears for My Father, Outlaw Thoughts and Poems. He survived by his wife and two of his children, along with his sister. I didn't realize this was his sister, actor Virginia Madsen, who we love Candy Man and it is so good.
Speaker 2: In that movie. But yeah, I didn't realize they were brother and sister. They were siblings.
Speaker 3: And then now when you see their faces together, you.
Speaker 2: Go, oh, I see it.
Speaker 3: Yep. But we have seen he had so much work. We've stopped. There have been a few b movies he's been in, like some stuff on the Sci Fi Channel or something like that, and yeah, you know, this don't have the same production budgets or whatever. But then he shows up on screen and we keep watching, Oh, okay, he's here, We're good. We know he legitimized. Yes, he immediately legitimizes, So that's we don't have to go back and watch rether Pardo.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess it's a rough movie, but.
Speaker 3: I'm all right. Final leg of our run here and look sad news for some of us observers on the outside. Who knows, this might be the absolute best thing for them. But Katy Perry Orlando Bloom have ended the rumors, speculation and gossip Band have confirmed that they have ended their relationship after nine years together. They've been engaged in the past six and they do have a daughter together five What do I think.
Speaker 1: Somewhere around that time, Yeah, because I think it was right around the I remember she was pregnant during the pandemic, yep, all right, and she had a Orlando Bloom hoodie on We interviewed her on Good Morning America via zoom, and I remember she had little faces of Orlando Bloom all over her hoodie.
Speaker 2: It was very memorable, all right.
Speaker 1: A joint statement from the rep confirms that, yes, Katie and Orlando have been this is their quote, have been shifting their relationship over the past many months to focus on cope parenting. They will continue to be seen together as a family as their shared priority is and always will be raising their daughter with love, stability, and mutual respect.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting way to put it.
Speaker 1: They've been shifting their relationship over the past few months.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: The two broke up once before, back in twenty seventeen, but they did get back together and got engaged on Valentine's Day of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we walked this walk. It's tough.
Speaker 1: It's tough to divorce, to divorce, to separate, and certainly to do it in the public eye when especially when you have a children.
Speaker 2: I always have children together.
Speaker 3: I was always just rooting for them. They weren't too much in the public eye, and they they just put themselves out there, but they were fun. Anytime you did get a chance to interact with him or her. Wow, never with him, but same thing with her. Got to interact and they just always seemed solid. Yeah, is the thing what in Katie right now? She's it's been a tough stretch.
Speaker 2: It's been a tough year.
Speaker 3: But the Blue Origin thing, her album got criticized, didn't get the same type of respect reception a breakup.
Speaker 2: That's it's a tough year. It's a tough year.
Speaker 1: But hopefully she will come back stronger and better than ever. It is absolutely possible, and I'm rooting for her and for Orlando.
Speaker 3: All right, for something for you, folks to take with you on this fourth of July, something for you to consider it is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: Yes, this comes from Mahatma Gandhi Ah with some wise sage advice. A man is but the product of his thoughts, what he thinks, he becomes. This is such an important part of life for me now because we can't control a lot of things, but we can interrupt negative thoughts, bad thoughts, future casting, all the things our mind tends to do sometimes and we create our own suffering. So I just like to realize that what you think is what you believe usually and then that is kind of what you become.
Speaker 2: So you get to decide, all right, So.
Speaker 3: Folks take that with you today. A man is but the product of his thoughts, what he thinks he becomes. Also, I want to remind you we are putting up this week another episode of our Ask Amy and TJ is based on the question we got in our Yahoo relationship column that you can find on Yahoo dot com just click on the life section. But we got a question from a young lady who's only calling herself f Robes, and we got a lot of comments about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was another one where thousands of you commented on the Yahoo page, which we love. F asked us what is it that men are looking for? She says, I'm a successful black woman, so why aren't men into me?
Speaker 2: We will talk about.
Speaker 1: Our advice to F, but also talk about some of the comments you all left.
Speaker 2: It's a fun, fun, fun episode. We hope you check it out.
Speaker 1: It should be dropping sometime tomorrow afternoon, but we appreciate you listening to us on this fourth of July special morning run. We hope you have a wonderful day celebrating with your friends and family. I'm Amy roboch and on behalf of my partner T. J. Holmes.
Speaker 2: Happy forth, y'all.
Speaker 3: Ye