Speaker 1: I Am All In Again. I Am All In Again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast. Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am All In Podcast. We are live at Warner Brother Studios on the day the big event, December eighteenth, the I Am All In Again Podcast. We have Rose Abdu. Hello everybody, and she has decided to grace us with her presence today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 1: And it's great to have you. Great to see you.
Speaker 2: It's so great to see you.
Speaker 3: We're mind blowing to be back here, isn't it wild?
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time you walked on here? I do, back in two thousand. Were you in the first season?
Speaker 3: The fans know the show so much better than I do, But I was definitely not in the first season. But I was in Richard and Star's Hollow and the very first thing I had to do was Fizan's car, right, yeah. And that was a night shoot. Yeah and Jared, and it was so much fun.
Speaker 2: It was so cold.
Speaker 3: I was so excited and I remember just remember holding the windshield wipers so tight and just being so excited to be on the set.
Speaker 1: Do you remember it was directing the episode?
Speaker 3: I think it was Jamie Babbett, Oh, Jamie Babbitt think, oh yeah, And I just remember having to I just loved talking to Ed Herman because we're both from Michigan and we had a ball together. And then I remember one of my very first episodes with you, we were there was a long line. There was like a lot of pumpkins. I just remember I always say this about the show that when it was supposed to be fall in the show, it.
Speaker 2: Was beastly hot. At one when it was supposed.
Speaker 3: To be super hot, like June Rory's graduation, it was freezing cold, like it was always down. And I just remember this long line and you had to come down and we had just been talking off camera, so you went, Hey Rose, and you were like, your name is so close to Gypsy because Gypsy Rose, like you said hey Rose instead of a Gypsy. It really made me laugh and we all had coffee together.
Speaker 1: Yes we did. So tell us about the experience of the first time you got recognized as Gypsy.
Speaker 3: That's such a great question, you know, it always seems to happen like at an airport, I think, where people have enough time to just stare at other people at the boarding gate, right you know who you look like. I get that a lot. Uh. And then here's what's happening lately. People say, I knew you were Gypsy because I recognize your voice. And meanwhile, I don't speak like Gypsy had an accent. But it really is flattering to me that there's something about me as me that they it's still reminds me of.
Speaker 1: It's a very distinctive voice, a very distinctive look, and you have that thing that all musicians want. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, right, that's a good compenty Like.
Speaker 1: You're walking by and you can you know, it's still such a company people, it's you.
Speaker 2: I love it, and I just really love I love getting recognized from the show.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because there they're all ages now like when it started, it was always like a kind of you know, young, it's now like twelve year olds all the way up to I don't want to say like my age, but like.
Speaker 1: Seventy years blind, crippled and crazy.
Speaker 3: There you go, all so fun and then meeting the people that say, I watched it with my mom and now my daughter watches it with me, and then and it keeps going.
Speaker 2: It's so exciting. Can you believe twenty five years next year.
Speaker 1: It's it's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Yeah, I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: So it's definitely a fan podcast, it's a fan TV show. It's like it's without them, that's right, I mean, without them, where would we all be. We'd be seeing on a couch somewhere.
Speaker 3: But I don't brother, it wouldn't be I love it. I wanted to tell you this my friends. I should say, should I save this for later my friends?
Speaker 2: For Christmas?
Speaker 3: Actually, my friend Christy Christy Carlson wrote a Gilmore Girls Oh Yeah, and gave.
Speaker 2: Me this as a gift.
Speaker 3: And it's a Luke's coffee cup and I guess if I'd put the battery in it, it would say it says something. I'm not sure what, but I do want you to sign it because I'm not. I'm like, I'm seeing him, the actual Luke. I'm going to get him to sign my cup.
Speaker 1: It doesn't say anything, it doesn't say anything.
Speaker 3: I don't think I put the battery in. To put the battery, Luke keeps saying, so even Hallmark got it.
Speaker 2: No, I want it to meet Scott because okay, or just your name, Finn, you are gypsy Rose. You can call me Rose.
Speaker 3: I'm Gypsy Rose. But of course I'm going to make him sign it. I'm not just a castmate. I'm a fan.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, all right.
Speaker 3: I love it, and I love your shirt. And now you have like all kinds of Luke plaid shirts. This is this is a.
Speaker 1: Backup shirt because the one that they want me to wear today was delivered to the house.
Speaker 2: But I never got Okay, but you've you've got your own Luke's merch. Now we've come.
Speaker 1: Warner Brothers does Yeah, it's not mine, it's Warner Brothers. And there's a lot of it. Have you gone around. I haven't seen seen the level of merch they are bringing to Bear. I did not know that.
Speaker 3: And I really was blown away by Hughes Brothers, which I always thought should have been named Gypsies, but stayed Hughes Brothers. So I had a whole backstory in my head about who the Hughes Brothers were and how they probably moved to Florida and then Gypsy took over. But I love that there's a way, thank you so much. I love that there's a whole diner inside my gas station. So that's right, there's some competitions, Yes they are so Hughes Brothers is coming after you with the burgers and the drink.
Speaker 1: We're ready, We're ready. We like competition. We're not going to try to crash anybody. We'll just we'll just buy you out. There you go, We'll just buy you out and steal your ideas. So you're on Hacks. Yes, this is an incredible show. I resisted it for so long. I was sitting on an airplane coming back from Canada and I had some time to kill and I got into Hacks.
Speaker 2: I'm thrilled that you binged Hacks. It was really thank you. I really work so good. Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: I I'm really proud of it, and I'm really proud of like working with Jeane Smart is just like she's just a best She's just a regular gal. And you know, there's a lot of Hack's crew that are huge Gilmore fans.
Speaker 2: Oh really so yeah.
Speaker 3: They ask a lot of questions about it, and I really need to give the series a rewatch. Like the fans start over from as soon as they finished. They just start back over for.
Speaker 1: One critique of Hacks. There's not enough you.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I appreciate you saying that I will let them know.
Speaker 1: Let's uh, let's get on that so fun.
Speaker 3: I love doing it and it's really like a family, like we were all. You know, you don't see each other all the time, but when you do, you're just like, oh, no, time has passed. But I have a better memory of doing the year in the life, I think because it's you know, more recent, and we got to hang out more when I.
Speaker 1: Was burd Plus it was more relaxed, and it was kind of a better hang yes, because we knew it was going to be done in three and a half.
Speaker 2: Right, it was more like a movie, right, Yeah, So that kind of was our.
Speaker 1: Closure if you really want to call it that, and I don't because I'm I know we'll probably do so more. I expected, I do. I expected.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, like maybe a Christmas movie, wouldn't it be fun?
Speaker 1: Why not want a year? I mean every other year? Right now?
Speaker 3: You just saw recently now I'm going to interview you. The Walmart commercial was thrilling to me. It was so fun just to hear the music and see the little you know, and so the product I didn't even know. It's like a big coffee machine that, So, are there any more Walmart commercials? You know, Gypsy wants to sit at that counter at the diner.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I think the posts that they did on their Instagram and on my Instagram, on Lauren's Instagram exceeded any previous posts that Walmart has had on their Instagram by about fifty x. So I think they might be interested in doing more on that. I'm sure I have no inside information.
Speaker 2: Well, it was very exciting to see you guys together again.
Speaker 1: Make sure I'm available yest year.
Speaker 3: And I was like, Kirk get in there wants Gypsy wants to be at the counter. I was like, Gypsy could have carried that machine in. It is a more kind of job, though.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, look you'll do the car stuff when they's gilmore commercial.
Speaker 3: It's inevitable that does Walmart have any auto supplies that they need Gypsy.
Speaker 2: For if you're listening, I don't know.
Speaker 4: They probably do for a fee. Come on, nothing's free, Egypty. I mean, come on, create your own wrench. There you go, call it the Gypsy Rose my.
Speaker 1: Tools wrench or something.
Speaker 3: Gypsy Rose is the perfect name for Gypsy, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I think her name was Gypsy Rose. I've just decided that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, tell us about your experience developing this character. Did Amy Sharon Pealagino have feedback? Did you discuss building the character with her? Because it's so very memorable and.
Speaker 2: So very thank you for saying. Do you know what?
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was like it was an audition I had the day after my birthday, and I was like, oh my gosh, there's so many talented women here to play Gypsy.
Speaker 2: What am I going to do to set myself apart from these people?
Speaker 3: And it was a waiting room full of people here on the lot somewhere, and I thought, oh, she says I miss my home. In the Richard keeps saying, look, check the car again. I can't check this car anymore. I miss my home, And I thought I missed my home. To me means I miss my village. So at the last minute, right before I walked in, I gave her an accent. I just decided, oh, so prepared not an accent, and I just prepared an accent on the spot. I did an accent of a country of indeterminate origin, much like Berta is, Like where's she from we don't Know, and.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 3: And the only note Amy gave me in that original audition in two thousand and one, I think it was she goes go faster and I did.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's all you need is to go faster.
Speaker 3: Great, because I always used to say when people go ROSI talk so fast. I'm like, I don't talk so fast. You listen too slow. And I did it and that was it.
Speaker 2: And then later I learned that I had done a.
Speaker 3: Pilot audition for a show called Love and War that Amy wrote, and she said, oh, I liked you ever since you auditioned for that pilot for me, and I had no idea she remembered, she remembered, Yes, she's awesome. And then I got to do Bunheads with her. I had just seen a clip someone put a clip of Bunheads. I really forgot. How we talked super fast in that one too. I like any shows like that, like even Missus Maisles, they talked super fast.
Speaker 1: Isn't it uncanny? How good Amy is it?
Speaker 2: Kindima?
Speaker 1: And how she fights for each and every person, because you know that we were all a fight exit at the studio, like every one of them who who who What are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: We could get so and so and so and so and so and so. In fact, we have offers out.
Speaker 3: To them, and she has the eye for people that are going to make interesting combinations with each other too. Yeah, and really, I met people on this show that have become like Sally's one of my closest friends that have remained, you know, forever, So that it's been, it's just been such a blessing. It's it's just not lost on me how special it is to be involved in something that this many years. I thought it was one episode. I thought, oh, I'm here to fix the car, and I didn't know she was going to recur and be in and I think total, I think I'm in like twenty three, but it feels like more to the fans. I think I'm only in twenty four series, like twenty three or twenty four over the course of the seven seasons. While the fans call it the six seasons, but I call it the seventh seasons.
Speaker 1: There's some good episodes in the set, I agree.
Speaker 2: I had a really good ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love to read what people think of everything. You know, and you're in the life I had so much fun, and the fans are like, I just think that if we did one more, we'd game for it. We wanted on record that we're game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually Lauren and Alexis would be game.
Speaker 1: I think now they would. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean she didn't you know, Lauren didn't say anything during the Walmart commercial, but I don't know. There was a twink Lenner.
Speaker 2: You know, the twinkle was there because you were there, you know.
Speaker 1: But listen, you're just one of the great character actresses. Thank you so much in our business.
Speaker 2: Thanks for saying that.
Speaker 1: I mean, and isn't it wild? And you you've gone on to do great things?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: How talented this cast?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, incredible.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like all A players.
Speaker 3: A players and really have gone on to do such different things like musicians, stage work, yeah, movies, different stuff, and really incredible, I know, and it makes me.
Speaker 2: Want to go.
Speaker 3: I want I got to play with them years ago. I want to do that again, you know, and if we get to that, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well on your new show. I mean that's quite a cast. Is that is quite a cast? I mean that that lead girl opposite Jean Smart her name is scares me apologizes.
Speaker 2: She's incredible and you know this is her first acting role.
Speaker 1: Was she a comedian and stand up?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Her timing is so and great.
Speaker 3: Yes, I adore them, Mander, Jean Smart, Paul downs there. They are a wonderful group of people, and we were so lucky to be in the fourth season and hopefully get a fifth season.
Speaker 1: But she has a real rich emotional life. I mean, in that that Bared Bingo game or whatever they're playing, she really dug deep and got some nice I'm.
Speaker 2: So proud of all them.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you watched it. Sometimes it's hard, there's so many things on and I know we're like people. I'm so flattered that people find us in stream and I understood that.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of really top shows.
Speaker 3: Top top And I just heard here today for the first time that we're going to be streamed on Hulu as well.
Speaker 2: Excited, Hello hul Hello.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much girls on Hulu and Netflix.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Now does that mean, like, if I want to know how many people are watching it? No one ever counts and tells us how many people streaming it.
Speaker 1: How many people onlix? I can tell you you can from uh in October. From one week's period, it's almost seven hundred million viewer minutes per week.
Speaker 3: Imagine how many pairs of eyeballs in the nation and around the world are on our.
Speaker 1: Faces and we all signed a buyout idiots we are. Imagine the residuals on this.
Speaker 2: I cry.
Speaker 3: I'm so thrilled, and I really feel like, you know what it's getting, Put good karma in the universe and it'll all come back to Absolutely we love some more money possible.
Speaker 2: So you're doing hacks, doing hacks, and I did.
Speaker 3: I actually got to do an episode of Saint Dennis Medical, which is a new show on NBC and I love And it's only been on, it had only been on a month. It already got nominated for Critics Choice Award. So I'm lucky to have two shows nominated for Best Comedy.
Speaker 1: Can I be on a show with you, pa get nominated? I love it. I hold my golden potato and high esteem in my conference room.
Speaker 3: I love that that both of them. And I believe Golden Globe nomination for gene for Hacks, and you know, of course we won Best Comedy even the Emmys.
Speaker 2: This pissed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was great and uh yeah, and I did an episode of sex Lives of College Girls, Oh okay, which is another Max show, and I played a registrar lady named Joyce.
Speaker 2: That was really fine.
Speaker 1: And they're sure to be nominated now, right, probably.
Speaker 3: I was so I'm so thrilled to be working now. I had an agent who said to me, you know, once you hit forty, you're gonna just work. You're just one of those people that's going to work more later in life. And I feel like it does get greater later. And I really am so happy to be. Like I thought, all these young comedians and they're all going to need moms and grandmas.
Speaker 2: I'll be that person.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to be the I.
Speaker 3: Want to keep going till the wheels fall off. Betty, Betty white.
Speaker 1: Age, thanks for stopping by. I know you've got a big day ahead of you because we're doing a big live podcast in front of how many thousands of people?
Speaker 3: I mean they're supposed to be over a thousand people, two hundred and there's chair set up this year. Yes, all right, it's a lot of it's it's kind of like a rock concert. It is a like, Yeah, there's going to be music and it's going to be crazy when I come out. I want like dry smoke. I want there's going to be a smoking machine shooting up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get on a trapeze and over the fly, over the crowd. Now we're going to deliver coffee bags.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do pink like pink silks. I'm gonna have the silks hanging out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna do That's what I'm going to do, beautiful gipsy.
Speaker 1: It's so nice to be extreme pleasure. I will see you out there perfect and about what an hour and a half. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I love being the first guest, and thank you for signing my look.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. Thank you, Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com