Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: When you're younger, you feel like you're intensive.
Speaker 3: Eighteen.
Speaker 1: You know you're not the only Gemini in the room, and you're not the only one who makes.
Speaker 3: Lift from just beyond the lights of Los Angeles and Steamye Palm Springs, California. It's Mick Robert Bill just say, and this is still lighting with the old days.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, kids. It has been said that with age comes wisdom.
Speaker 2: And joint pain. Don't forget the joint pain.
Speaker 3: I think Eliah said it best. Age ain't nothing but a number.
Speaker 1: We're here to talk health, aging and taking care of ourselves.
Speaker 2: And how we're still turning heads wherever we go.
Speaker 4: Okay, boys, let's dive right in. What does the concept of health mean to you these days? How has it changed over the years.
Speaker 2: Well, for me, I think about health a whole lot more than I did when I was in my twenties. I didn't even pay attention to my doctor's advice often. Well, when I was in my twenties, the only doctors that I remember going to were my dentist and my eye doctor. But today I have annual visits with my retina specialist, my vascular specialist, a dermatologist, my psychiatry, and I have two physicals a year, and since I was fifty years old, I've had five cholonostopes, and I also do yoga.
Speaker 3: Well babies, Boy, that's a mouthful for real. All we do is spend our lives at doctors.
Speaker 2: Now it's almost as taking medications.
Speaker 3: Our doctors point it is.
Speaker 4: Well when we're trying to get together, it's turning out to be a real hassle because the doctor's appointments just pop up.
Speaker 3: Everywhere, and they do come first, yes.
Speaker 4: They do, because it's hard to get an appointment with a lot of doctors.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I looked up the word health and this is based on Who's definition. Health is a state of complete physical, medical, and social well being beyond the absence of disease and infirmity. You know, one of the things I wish I measured for self sufficiency is whether I can clean my bathroom and wash the dishes, shower and dress myself and make dinner. So what I have been taught is establish a baseline by which we can measure what is improvement from what is a stable state, and that that transition into thriving. You know, you pursue that success. You have a purpose in life. Bob often talks about having a passion for his work and also general feelings of wellbeing. Bill likes to talk about his yoga in between his colonosopes.
Speaker 2: So, and I think we've all managed to incorporate our different healthcare routines into our lives in a white that enabled us to all pursue our own individual interests.
Speaker 4: I take particular attention now to when I go get a physical I read all of the things that they have and now I take my chart very seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's pretty clear from all of our conversations that we're much more conscious about our health than we were when we were younger and infallible. But I know that for me, I have tried to incorporate activity very purposely into my life, and most recently, something I think that is terribly important is massage. I get a massage every week now, and I talk to the massage therapist about what he is doing in terms of breaking up the granules that accumulate in your body in different places due to the stresses that you face, and how he moves it through my body, and I could just feel the bad stuff oozing out of my body.
Speaker 1: I guess I have the same experienced training, Yeah, which is why it's so addictive for me. Also the little endorphins. It's a great rush in a high, and I enjoy that at times when life is really hard and it's a struggle, you know that you can put yourself in a position of discipline and strength and to actually accomplish something in like an hour. That has been my rock. This is from the perspective of somebody who has been lifting weight since he was fifteen years old, and I'm sixty nine now, and so it's a way for me to get through many, many, many trying days even now.
Speaker 2: And another thing that I have become very conscious of in my older years is how important sleep is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if I don't have a good night's sleep, I'm not going to have a good next day, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And looking back on my younger days, when a lot of the time I get filed three or four hours of sleep because I was out partying the night before and I had to get to work early the next day, and I don't see.
Speaker 4: How I did it, or no sleep at all.
Speaker 1: Our younger listeners are laughing and thinking, oh fun, this is what I have to look forward to sleep, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I knew guys when I first came out. He used to go to New York and party for forty eight hours straight. Dang, and then come home to Minneapolis and crash for the rest of the week for real. Yeah, for the rest of the week, for the rest of the week.
Speaker 3: See. I always wanted to do that when I was younger, but I would fall asleep. I'm not an all night person except on vacations and cruises. And I'm a walker. I actually walk, even in this weather, twice a day. Oh yeah. I get out at ten o'clock at night and then at six in the morning or six thirty. But then I go back to pied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're already into daily maintenance.
Speaker 2: So well, okay, go ahead, Meg with your daily maintenance.
Speaker 1: What's the daily habit that you swear by now you never cared about when you were younger.
Speaker 2: For me, one of the things that I find very calming that will bring chaos to a controlled state is making lists. Makes fun of me and accuses me of being a Gemini about my list, But I truly keep on my computer a spreadsheet of my master to do lists, which is grouped by major categories and the interrupt activities I need to do relative to each one listed, and I love striking them out.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not the only Gemini in the room, and you're not the only one who makes lists. I make lists too, but they're not as complex as yours.
Speaker 4: My father one of the best lessons he taught me was at the beginning of the day, right down the six most important things you have to do, and as you cross them off, you add them the things that you hadn't done to the next day, so that nothing ever gets overlooked.
Speaker 3: And I do that. Okay, that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: That's what we call piling it on. Before you know, you've got a list like that's ten pages long, and you go say yourself, oh my gosh, what where should I start?
Speaker 2: I know? And some of my to do activities are like paint the.
Speaker 1: Such a specific task, I.
Speaker 2: Know, and it goes on for more than.
Speaker 3: Just that hour was six days ago in the heat.
Speaker 1: We could move on.
Speaker 2: Yes, Robert, what's the most ridiculous health or beauty product I've ever tried? And this would have to be going back to the nineteen eighties when I was in my early forties and my hair began to thin, and so I wanted to stop that, and so I tried all kinds of hair restoration products.
Speaker 3: Don't work.
Speaker 2: Does it didn't work back then, I don't know are they working today.
Speaker 1: I used an oxidal and yeah, it's thicking my hair.
Speaker 2: I went through a trial with monoxidil back in the eighties, and I used to go to the doctor. I guess it was about once every two weeks. I would go and he'd take a little eye dropper and he'd drop the stuff on my head and rub it in, and then he'd peer with a little eyeglass looking for.
Speaker 1: Any hair following the hair growth.
Speaker 2: They had yet discovered the right formula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, because I'm starting to show and it's thickening.
Speaker 3: It losing my hair. It was humbling. And the day I took everything off in it, it was freedom. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the most ridiculous product that I had ever used was in the late sixties. They came out with this self tanning gels and the first one of them that I tried, and it was one of the best, was called Bragi b r a gg I, And the only problem was yes, you looked great with yourself tan, but you look at your hands and they're completely orange. You can tell when anyone used was using this tanning product.
Speaker 3: And one person still uses it. I guessed nowadays, who's that orange?
Speaker 4: Oh no, he uses Cheetos.
Speaker 2: In a powdered form.
Speaker 4: Well, he mashes him. He has someone mash him up.
Speaker 3: That's okay, moving right it off. What are some of the greatest revelations you've had around getting older, especially as a gay man. I haven't been phased. I'm just me who happens to be a gay man. That's a small part of who I am.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking for myself, I find the older I get, the greater are my ED problems, which is unfortunate but true, And so you have to find other ways of substituting for that. And I think probably this also relates back to ridiculous medical treatments that we've tried over the years. And I know I have tried many different online supplement combinations, matters supposed secure ED.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of people who aren't just gay, but especially as a gay man, as the older you get, the more invisible you become, you know, as opposed to other cultures such as in Japan, where as you got older, you became more venerated. I mean in Japan they have eighty year old porn stars. Okay, so this is a culture that is completely different, and their concept of beauty and you know, religion and the soul, all of those kinds of concepts play into a very different kind of society and very different values.
Speaker 2: Do you think ours are changing?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes I do, because there is a niche I have found, or I should say they have found me, you know, of younger men.
Speaker 4: I totally concurred that was going to be my thing. It's total revelation to me now that we're not just old men were attracted by young and middle aged men, which is really a big surprise to me. Although I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: It's very flattering, you know, because I guess because I remember myself in my twenties, you would take a twenty oh forty, Oh that's death.
Speaker 3: That's I thought. I thought eighteen was dead.
Speaker 4: No, I've thought forty was. When I was young. I didn't think i'd live beyond forty.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, I mean, because I counted the years of forty, it'll be two thousand and six when I'm in I thought, you know, it's nineteen sixty eight or something like that, and you're thinking, I can't imagine what that world is going to be like.
Speaker 3: And it's so different than I mean nice, I see it differently than I look at it compared to mom and dad days and how they seemed old. And I guess it's the weather that keeps us. It helps you know, we're truly blessed to have sunshine, and a lot of places don't have it, thus causing you to go inside and sit in your house and people forget you. That's what I'm scared of. I don't want to be forgotten. I never want to be forgotten, and I don't want to forget people. That is so important to make us who we are and how we live, and.
Speaker 2: That's a part of health. It is who we surround ourselves with in terms of social structure and the interactions we have. If we have positive interactions with the people that are around us, I think we're going to be healthier for it. But if we are constantly doing bad with people, it got to have a detrimental effect on who you are in your health. Okay, I believe that very strongly.
Speaker 1: Cool okay, in that same vein what is something you see completely differently than you used to A perspective shift that can only come with age.
Speaker 4: For me, I mean, when I was younger, in middle age, sex was everything, and now it doesn't seem to be quite as important and urged that it used to be. Not that I enjoy it less, but it just doesn't have that drive that I used to have for it.
Speaker 2: I think one of the biggest changes that I've gone through from my young self to who I am now is when you're younger, you feel like you're invinsive, and over the years you find out that they had hang true, that there are a lot of things that can get you down and you just have to be on guard for them and educate yourself so you know how to deal with them.
Speaker 1: I think for me, what is different is my definition of what is love. I used to think of love only in a physical sense, and I began to question what it means to love and you know, who's going to be deserving of your love and who you deserve, and those things kind of change. And I guess you know that's from living and learning, you know, and that's why you have to be mentally strong inside. I think that's one of the things all of us share in common, is that there's really this strong pillar that kind of anchors us. You know, there are so many people in life who go very fractured lives and due to circumstances beyond their control, or you know that you just don't know, or because your parents didn't raise you very well, and that's a lot of what it comes down to. You know, haven't talked about it, but that's the kind of stuff you do when you're on the couch. You know, you talk about your family, You talk about your parents and how much you have been programmed in that early time in your life, and that you know it may have set you up for making a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing that I've missed that I hear other people talk about as being part of their lives is I've never had the experience of talking to someone who is psycho analyzing me consciously as a doctor patient relationship. So but you know, I hear you know, some of you guys talk about your experiences.
Speaker 3: It used to be an embarrassing thing to do that, to go to the doctors and like place, everybody's doing.
Speaker 1: It yeah, you didn't talk about it right.
Speaker 3: How was your measure of life quality and happiness changed over time? It's gotten better for me, and it's all because of the Old Gays. It really is. Well.
Speaker 4: I have to say the same thing because I moved to Palm Springs in two thousand and three and I moved into senior housing, and I was sort of just there for like ten years. But then the Old Gays happened and my entire life turned around. I was happy as can be, and I enjoyed what I was doing. I never thought that I would come back that well. Thank you old Thank you God, thank you young day.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna cross kiss.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to silver Lines with the old Gays.
Speaker 4: What's something that feels completely different in your body now compared to when you were younger?
Speaker 3: My butt, because it is last.
Speaker 4: Lord, mine is my anxiety. And I have a very difficult time controlling my anxiety. And I've taken quite a few different medications. I've tried some on an as needed basis, some of them where you take it in the morning, you take it in the evening, and somehow it just doesn't work. For me, and when it does work for me, if it's really a good one, I just fall asleep and that's the only way that I can control it. But my anxiety is something that has really really increased as I'm aging. But that's why I think it's very, very important that everyone realized that you are in control of your life and your health and your doctors. Yes, I mean that is a very very important thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think about you know, how the four of us I've learned to deal not only with our own particular diagnoses, but also how you negotiate the medical system in the mark.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You're going to encounter nurses and doctors in which you like our sympatico with and then there are some that it's like two ships passing in the night, you know, and you really have to just go with the flow.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you disagree with the doctor exactly exactly, and when you disagree, you go around and you try to find an alternative way to do it.
Speaker 3: You have to be in control, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And then there's the other thing about well I'll just have to get a second opinion, okay, and then bye bye. You just have to be very firm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, time for health tips. Can each of us come up with one or two health tips or health wisdoms that we can offer our listeners.
Speaker 2: I can think of one. Your mind has a lot of power over your body, and it's a tool you'd have to learn how to use, but it is there and it is.
Speaker 1: Very self healing.
Speaker 4: And my tip would be to anyone who isn't feeling well not to ignore it. But there are so many places like urgent care that you can just drop in and find out what's going on with you. Don't procrastinate it when you're feeling bad. Take action health tip floss every day. That's not a joke.
Speaker 1: That's unpreventative because bacteria can form in your mouth and if you start swallowing that down and gets into your gut, and that's still a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mom told me keep moving because when you stop sometimes you won't get to start again. Good advice.
Speaker 4: And now the big question, what is your silver lining to aging? Navigating health and the.
Speaker 3: Body, social security?
Speaker 1: Two things Medicare and the old gays. You know, the old Gays helped to change my life, and that's the biggest thing about being alive. Really and experiencing that because you know, it was five years ago where I almost didn't make it, and that's saying something.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the unexpected things with growing older that's happened to me is I try to be more compassionate about people and not being as critical, you know, of everybody, because everyone has their own problems. And I believe that being critical of people only takes negative energy.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's the benefit of growing older, accumulating knowledge and perspected and being able to understand people's issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would add built when you say you're less critical of people, yeah, yeah, you're more compassionate, that's because you're less critical of yourself and that you've learned to let go. So therapy helps.
Speaker 3: That is three hundred dollars, give it to him, charge it.
Speaker 4: That's a wrap for today. Silver Linings is a production of Iheart's Ruby Studios and The Outspoken Network. We're your hosts Bill Lyons, Robert Breeves.
Speaker 3: Mick Peterson, and Jesse Martin.
Speaker 4: Our executive producer is Sierra Kaiser. The episode was written by Ryan Amador, with post production by Eric Zeiler. Our theme music was composed by MaTx Heirschanau, with audio direction and design by Matt Stillo. And if you're having fun with us, please subscribe to follow along, and don't forget to rate and review the show whenever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: I'm just a greedy little pant.
Speaker 3: Give it a battle cry on that Dick
Speaker 4: I came out of the womb gay