Speaker 1: Any switch said, high deep, under standing, up deep to shut her feel and it's coming.
Speaker 2: Wow, his first big league swing, He's gonna be a gland slam.
Speaker 1: Home run swing.
Speaker 2: Good time to Welcome.
Speaker 1: To the show. Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball, and we continue this week of Top one hundred Prospect episodes. It's gonna be the theme for this week and next week as well. We are doing the biggest risers today, it's arm Light and Jack McMullen to break it down, and then we'll do another episode coming up on the other newcomers. Then plenty more going into next week on the top prospects in the entire list, and twenty more to discuss as it pertains to the list and breaking it all down. We're also going to talk about a very dynamic and unique Rockies prospect making his big league debut. But Jack, this is the first Top one hundred episode with you since the update. Really excited to talk risers as well, because with this first update we always get some major movers, including one of the biggest, actually the biggest riser in the history of US ranking Top one hundred prospects here just baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've got a guy that went from one hundred to nine. I will save I guess I'll save the actual name for the tail end of the episode when we do that, because we're gonna work from lowest on the top one hundred to highest on the top one hundred. But I don't think I've ever seen you go one hundred to nine with someone before. But this was a guy that was out top twenty at one point too. He was top five for some outlets way back when. So it's just amazing to see the process. And if you're reading the tea leaves, chances are you figure it out.
Speaker 1: But it's so.
Speaker 2: Cool, especially in this pre CBA expiration year and where like prospect promotion is so heavily incentivized. You're seeing more and more guys get up, and you're seeing more and more guys get paid, like Bradon Montgomery just got up and Luis Laura just got paid in the last forty eight hours, which is awesome. Yeah, so like we're seeing more and more of this. You will see more and more graduations and now with the league just skewing a little bit younger and more exciting, you have that many more prospects to rank, So heck of a job again, dude, on this It's available obviously in the episode description and then on Just Baseball dot com. It is such a fun article to read every single time it is updated.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, man. And it's been really fun with this grouping because we talked about it in the last episode. So many new faces, so many players that we haven't been able to discuss too much because it's a twenty five draft or maybe that emerged out of nowhere or a little bit of both. And with the Max exodus that we had a lot of refreshing, you know, new faces here on the and we're going to talk about more of the risers. So these aren't going to be as many of the new faces, but these are gonna be guys that really improve their stock since the start of the year. But before we get into that, guy that has improved his stock as well, and it's probably within an arms reach of top one hundred prospect status is called Carrig and he got called up for the Rockies. He in his first big league game tripled. That's kind of the name of his game. He is I think Warren Schaeffer said it in himself, the Rockies manager. He plays with his hair on fire. It's exactly what you kind of feel when you watch this cop B pick from twenty twenty three. Colt Carrig switch hitter that can play all over the diamond. He caught some games in the first days of his professional career that quickly were like, you're way too athletic to be in the squad. We're not going to do that anymore. And he was playing shortstop and center field. Then over the last couple of years a lot more just center field, but then this year a little bit more shortstop again. So I think Carrig projects best in the outfield where he's played all three spots. His speed can absolutely play in center, but it's an asset to have a guy that you can, you know, late game replacements wise, or you're subbing and moving things around to be able to move a guy into the dirt or spot start into the dirt. So it's been fun to see the Rockies lean back into that side of things. And then with Carrig, I mean, yes, playing in some hitter friendly environments of course, hitting in in Albuquerque there, but that's what we have WRC plus four and you know hit this slash line will play anywhere three thirty eight, four, fourteen, five, twenty nine good for a one to twenty nine WRC plus thirty bags in fifty seven games for Keragin six homers as well. He can sneak, He's got some sneaky pop. He's absolutely one of the faster guys that you're gonna see and immediately like probably the fastest guy on this Rocky scene. And then also just the ability to impact the ball a little bit from both sides of the plate. At worst, this is a very dynamic super utility player. But I think at cores where it's gonna hedge some of the swing and miss that he's already hedged himself. His skill set, his athleticism. This is a very fun player for the Rockies to bring up in a year where, look, they're not gonna hit the playoffs, but they're better.
Speaker 2: And I don't think this is somebody that goes down to Albuquerque when that decimated outfield becomes healthy again. Like I think this is a guy that you're comfortable having on your bench. And you mentioned the late game defensive situation, the pinch running situation. If he keeps hitting, he's gonna get some pinch hit situations too. Troy Johnston's not going anywhere. That guy has been one of these surprises offensively in Major League Baseball. But Jake McCarthy has been a heck of a lot better than I was ever anticipating. Jake McCarthy would be, to be honest with you. And then they've got some other guys that they are committed to that are on the IL right now, right Mickey Moniac. He's on the IL with an ankle sprain. Tyler Freeman just hit the IL. That's why Carig got up. Brenton Doyle is on the IL with an oblique issue. Jordan Beck is on the IL with a hamstring strain. So you've got four outfielders that are on the shelf and Carig is up. Carig is going to play pretty much every day while Freeman is out and while the rest of the outfielders are out. But when those guys get healthy, Carriig is somebody that can fill in for Tovar, who's been brutal so far this year. He's somebody that can fill in in all three outfield spots. You mentioned the shortened center thing. He played like six games and left in six games and right in twenty twenty five in Hartford, but this year was back to shortened center. That's a super valuable piece. Oh yeah, and if you can play shortened center, I automatically call you like a super utility guy that can play absolutely anywhere on the diamond.
Speaker 1: And then the switch hitting, the speed, the stolen base ability, Like, this guy's gonna have a spot on a roster whether he reaches his offensive potential or not for a very long time. But the exciting part is he's reaching closer to that offensive potential.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna start calling this guy, what do you need? Guy? Like he can just go up to the manager and be like, what do you need? I got you you need? So yeah, cole Kerrig is a what do you need guy?
Speaker 1: It's kind of Willie castrosh except better athlete, right, Like you're gonna get a gether actually like making it and obviously he's got to make some strides to hit like castro Is hitt in stronger seasons.
Speaker 2: But best what do you need guy? In baseball? Mauricio Dubon, what do you need? I got you? So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's freaking all and that probably fits the bill even more with the defensive value that you get there. Last thing, I'll mention twelve percent cut in the strikeout rate this year at TRIPLEA compared to double A last year. That's really exciting there for Carrig. Hopefully it gets a long look here, and I agree I think he will with the Rockies. Let's get into the biggest risers here, where we've got again some masitive jumped record amounts of spots, but plenty of others that I'm excited to highlight here. Again, as always, the link for the list is in the episode description.
Speaker 2: So I want to start us off with Kendree Chorio, the pitching prospect for the Kansas City Royals. Because Chorio was at ninety six on the preseason update. He's up to seventy three now. Kendree Chorio again of the Kansas City Royals, a teenage pitching prospect. Why do you love him this much?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Chorio? Man, just just the numbers. Look at this guy. Every single time you check in. He just has not slowed down, and he's so ahead of his year. I mean, we're looking at a eighteen year old, by the way, doesn't turn nineteen years old until October first of this year, who already has success at Lowe under his belt. He was okay at the end of our shirt Lowa in his age aged seventeen season, which the fact that he's even there is remarkable. And then this year in his age eighteen season, forty two innings, he's pitched to a one seven to one el for low A Columbia, forty strikeouts, eight walks. To be doing what he is doing is ridiculous, and you might think, oh, well, is this another like pitchability, you know, teenager, Like, what's it going to look like against more challenging competition. He throws ninety six and look, the shape could be better. So I think there is like aspects of that rhetorical that I just asked that are maybe valid, but they would rear their heads until like double A and triple A and maybe by then he's throwing ninety nine. Who knows, like, this is a guy that with a smooth, easy delivery, six feet one hundred and sixty five pounds is sitting ninety six and touching ninety eight plus. Yeah, the shape could be a little bit better, but you look at the pitch mix man and yeah, it's three above average offerings that I think will develop into plus with what looks like plus command. I can very soundly knowing that this guy's going to at worst eight innings as a back end of the rotation starter. But you figure there's a lot of time for Chorio. Now, Hukui is a great field to throw the baseball and just a good field to spin it to develop as just a more well rounded arsenal, Like why can't Chorio find that cutter or or that slider or that sinker and really just develop, you know, a more well rounded pitch mix.
Speaker 2: You bet on the guys that throw like a twenty four year old when they're eighteen or nineteen years old, Like there are very very few guys in the DSL or at the complex or even in low A before twenty years old that actually don't look nineteen years old, like Kendrick Chorio. It seems like from what you're laying out is a guy that throws like a college kid that happens to be eighteen that's throwing up the complex right now, which is fun and more room to grow. Another guy college kid staying in the al Central. Kaylan Culpeper was a first round pick of the Minnesota Twins back in twenty four out of Kansas State, and all Kaylan Culpeper has done in the Upper Miners, mind you, over the last year and a half is mash Kaylan Culpeper last year between high end Double A one hundred and thirteen games, hit two ninety with twenty homers, twenty five bags in twenty nine attempts, and an eight forty four ops. He's been better this year fifty seven games with Triple A Saint Paul, fourteen homers, forty driven in thirteen for fifteen in the stolen based department, keeping the k rate in check and opsing eight seventy. You have Culpeper up to sixty one. Kaylan Culpeper was previously at eighty four on your list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a big part of that is that Culpeper is just held serf and if, like you mentioned, if anything's gotten a little bit better at a higher level, and all the other guys ahead of him have graduated, and you also have a lot of times these players don't maybe repeat or completely match what they did and they're kind of coming out party season. That's exactly what Colepepper is doing again this year. If anything, it's just slightly better across the board. I think the biggest thing though that stands out to me is Colepepper sitting the ball a lot harder. And that was the aspect where Colepepper's a very much as some of his parts. Guy not a clear plus tool, but you look at above average field to hit at least average power because of the way that he's able to drive it in the air consistently, he air poles and just again I think is able to maximize what he's got. The approach has always been fine, I think, or at least that's probably the area where he needs to get better. He can struggle at recognizing spin sometimes that's gotten a little bit better this year. He's got the chase rate by five percent and then again the hard hit rates up like fourteen percent. He can play shortstop. Is it going to be off the charts? No, But I always forecasted him as an average to slightly above average every day shortstop, and he just continues to look more and more like that at a higher level. So he's basically just solidifying his floor in his foundation more and more. Well, just ever so slightly improving that ceiling. So the biggest thing for me though, is seeing how much more consistently he's finding the barrel. And when you see that hard hit ray jump by fourteen percent, I mean, that's obviously going to come with a lot more excitement around him to be a pair of that. With a few percentage points better in the bats of ball department and five percentage points better in the chase department, you've got a really good player here. Nothing is quite going to be that eye catching aspect for him, but he's a gamer that just does everything pretty well. And the last little thing to monitor here, which has already gotten better, is the swing decisions against spin. Last year it was a forty percent chase rate against secondaries, actually forty against breaking balls, forty two against secondaries. This year it's about thirty five percent against breaking balls and thirty two overall against secondary So it could get a little bit better, but that that is much more into the range of reasonability, especially with how selective he is fastball wise in terms of not expanding the zone and attacking the pitches that he wants to hit within it. And when you have the uptick in quality of contact, I mean there's a world where maybe you can dream on above average pop here as well. With how much harder he said, He's hitting the ball to pair with the angles that have always been there.
Speaker 2: Exciting stuff for Kaylin Culpepper. Back to the mound, Let's talk about Jack Weninger with the New York Mets. Weninger, by the way, just click for me went to Kerry Grove High School, two years younger than Quinn Priester. You'd have to assume that they were teammates at Carrie Grove, so Wenener and Quinn Priester might have been sharing a rotation in the Chicago Land suburbs, which is kind of fun in high school. But Weninger is up from eighty seven to fifty six on the top one hundred list. Twenty four year old young twenty four year old taken out a u OFI in twenty twenty three. But Weenener so far this year, after a great showing with double a Binghamton last year, has been better.
Speaker 1: In Syracuse.
Speaker 2: The third innings at a two seven era, He's punched out forty nine. He's walking five hitters fifty like that's the problem. But he still rose about thirty spots for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a little bit of like a combination of okay, guy that is benefited from the graduations ahead of him, but at the same time the newcomers. I'm Wheningers walking guys a little bit more this year is not enough for me to, i think, relegate him behind some of these newcomers. And that's just where I'm at here. It hasn't quite been the year that I think you want to see. But to your point, he's been better still from an era perspective, which I think does say a lot about just his ability to get whiffs when he needs to, get the week contact when he needs to, and maintain composure and poys. I have been surprised to see the command back up the way that it has, because I mean, this is guy that initially projected us with above average command. But I think there's been some adjustment to that triple A ball that we see with so many guys that just kind of getting used to this slick aspect of it and just the different feel to it that I think is happening here with Wenninger. But the fact that he has still been as solid at preventing runs as he has been despite the command backup, I think is extremely encouraging. And if you look at the last you know, handful of starts. Overall, there's been a couple of duds in there. There's been a couple dominant outings. He had a stretch of sixteen and two thirds consecutive innings without allowing an earned run. So it's just trying to string together the consistency here. But for me, it was more of him holding his spot despite new names kind of creeping up behind him and names ahead of him graduating. But this is one of the few that we'll talk about where it's like it's not like he's doing something tangibly better than he was doing last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a new name to the list, but a high riser is an eighteen year old in the Guardian system by the name of Junaker Casceras Cassara's you have rising from eighty six to forty four, and it's because this guy has been awesome as a Hill City howler in his age eighteen season. He's eighteen until August fifteenth, and Cassara's in twenty nine games, hitting three ten, walking more than he's punched out, and hit five homers. In the state of Virginia. It's kind of humid in Virginia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy's really fun man, and I think he's just scraping the surface of what he can be. We're talking about an eighteen year old at low Way that is keeping a strikeout right below ten percent, is starting to get into that power as you mentioned, and also running extremely low chase rates. I just to be and also I'm looking at I've talked about him in like his operation, and I always felt like he was a guy he kind of stepped he was stepping in the bucket previously, kind of flying open a little bit and still having the success bat to ball wise and production wise that he was having. He seems to have made some improvements there where you seem kind of coiling and has this rhythmic load in to his backside. He can still leak out a little bit, but it's already getting better. And you're seeing an eighteen year old clean up his mechanics after already having success at low A last year and dominating the complex. So now have success this year at low Way and still be making these tweaks and getting better is so so exciting. But when you look at some of the underlying numbers. It's only a ninety one percent in zone contact rate and an eighty nine percent contact rate, So the overall contact rate's only two percent lower than the zone contact rate. That just shows you how good the feel for the barrel is. It's an eighty five percent out of zone contact rates. So you have a guy that doesn't chase, and when he does chase will immediately spoil and or drive it still, and then you can't beat him in the zone either. That's how a guy at eighteen years old at low A strikes out less than ten percent of the time. You pair that with above average batspeed, and this guy is a rocket ship dude. I really think by the end of this year he's going to be a consensus tough fifteen. I can't believe he's not on every top one hundred list right now. I get it because it's early, and you know, but we we've seen as an industry now like on out, ones are very eager to throw a complex get on there or DSL get on there. And I don't blame him.
Speaker 2: He's already off the complex. He's already in low A.
Speaker 1: That's my thing. So I don't know where the lag is here. With Cassras because the underlying's great, the surface levels good. He's still extremely young, and I think there's a lot more to dream onto.
Speaker 2: Interesting. All right, next guy that we got to talk about here is a big leaguer, Logan Henderson, who has yet to fully graduate. Henderson just id fifty innings unfortunately on the IL right now, seventeen and two thirds with Triple A Nashville this year at a one point oh two ERA off of five starts. Last year in Milwaukee had a one seven eight ERA five more starts at a two seven this year, punched out thirty and walked six in twenty three innings of work. So in ten major league starts he's five and one with a two to two three ERA, punching out sixty three guys and walking fourteen and forty eight and a third and a career minor league e RA of three point one one. We've talked a lot about Logan Henderson, but at the end of the day, there might be nothing new with him. It's just a whole bunch of pitches, really good command, and he's a good major league pitcher at this point when healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like I'm ranking a big leaguer compared to these these other minor league guys, and it's just bizarre. But you know, he's just so good in the in the five and dive roll even but like we've seen him go deeper now, like he eats six innings in one of his outings already this year. We saw him do it a little bit last year as well. The thing with Henderson is you're asking me to compare a guy that's proven that he's a big league starter at this point. Now the question is just ceiling versus floor, and I think he's really solidified the the both. I think because the question before is like, Okay, it's four seamer that has some outlier characteristics and then a really good change up off of that, and those two pitches are going to get, you know, be able to get big league hitterers out at a pretty consistent clip. But what happened second third time through the lineup, and that was where he needed to find a little bit more consistency with the rest of his offerings. And that's exactly what he's done now with mixing and a cutter that is been really effective for him and I think is turned into an average third pitch just being able to mix in twenty percent of the time a third look that is solid when you have two plus or better pitches and fantastic command. All of a sudden, Henderson instead of looking more like a back into the rotation five and I've got he looks like a middle rotation type of arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Unfortunately the next guy also on the il much like Logan Henderson, but a fun name to see rise this much. Previously at ninety five, now at twenty seven, Argin Namala of the Toronto Blue Jays. Namala is a top thirty prospect in baseball according to ARM and it's just baseball dot com. Uh. Argin Namala is a guy that was opsing under seven hundred last year. It's north of eight hundred this year. He got up to double a in his age twenty season. That's where he got hurt, unfortunately. But Namala is a guy that I know you have long been high on and it's just fun to see him slug a little bit again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're seeing him really get into that slug now. And that was the fun part about updating the rite up is I mean, the uptick in quality of contacts for them all is crazy and I think it still wasn't even fully translating into that uptick and slug that I think we would have seen. And we'll see if he was available and didn't hit the il there. But the approach has gotten better. The quality of contact in terms of the evs is just I think it's one of the bigger jumps we saw in minor league baseball so far this year. The swing decisions are better, he continues to develop into what looks like an above average shortstop. Everything you look at is encouraging. The biggest thing for me, though, is seeing that and what we always liked about him in the early going of his pro career was, man, he can move that that fast, and now we're really seeing that shine through. Average bat speed this year north of seventy four miles per hour. I mean that is comfortably in the plus territory average EGXA velocity of ninety one point five miles per hour, which is up three miles per hour from the year power and ninety percent telex of LOSSI I believe I remember correct, He's up to like one hundred and eight miles per hour this year. That's crazy, crazy stuff there. So there's still some things he needs to show her up. I think the hit tool is ultimately always gonna be fringy, but he's proven that he can hammer fastballs. He's recognizing spin better, but he needs to i think, be able to drive it a bit more consistently, kind of leaves it sometimes and can pull off of it. But we saw improvements I think across the board this year that, hopefully, if he's not out for too long with the injury, will really validate what is an improved season. This is not an easy jump from High A to Double A, and he started the year in High A again like they repeated him there for a second. Then he quickly proved that he's just much better and too good for the level gets up to double was holding his own there before the injury. I'm very excited to see what Namala can do, assuming he comes back relatively quickly and it is healthy, because this is better than plus raw power that he's still warning to tap into. But I think he's getting closer and closer to doing I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to clump the next two together for the sake of timing and also for the sake of a league conversation. Travis Bozana, The Guardians makes the jump from forty six to twenty two. Ryan Walschmidt the Diamondbacks makes the jump from forty four to twenty one. Do you feel like you could push Bizana higher and higher by the day, because what that guy is doing at the tippy top of the Guardian lineup has been outstanding. Meanwhile, Walschmid has had a really nice start to his major league career too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the challenging you know, I think juggle with these two is is Bizan I think has proven that, like, this guy's gonna hit at the big league level, right, And I think that's we always love the floor with him. I think where and why we him a little bit lower maybe than others is that I feel like from a war perspective, which you've talked about a little bit in the last few episodes, is Bazana has got to be like a one thirty WRC plus to get to that three plus war because I think the second base defense is a little bit limiting there and maybe it gets better as as time passes. I just I just am not entirely confident in that from watching him over the years. So if you're gonna be you know, in if he second baseman we've seen within Brandon low like he's got to really really hit, Like he's got to really really really hit to eclipse to war totals that he he you know, if you want to get to three four war because the defense isn't very good, Like that's kind of where I think it's gonna be for Bazana. So I think he's gonna really really hit, and he gives you value with his legs as well, and so there's other aspects that I think are encouraging. And he's got the work ethics, so maybe he can improve defensively. The reason why he climbed so much, though, is because we saw him improve I think across the board this year too. There was some question of like, okay, is this hit tool gonna be closer to average, Like there was a lot of whiff in the early going of his pro career, and he started to wonder like maybe was it Pac twelve competition that he just wasn't seeing as good of arms And maybe he's gonna be still a really productive player, but maybe it's gonna be a little bit more of the three true outcomes professionally. And then this year just shows up and better bat to the ball also, I think balancing still that desire to destroy base balls without it coming with the whiff that we saw kind of uptick, and then he has translated that immediately to the big leagues, where, if anything, he's actually been better in that regard. I think he's a guy that more information at his disposal, more scouting reports that helps a guy like Travis Bizon, and I think we're seeing that. And for the strikeout rate to be right at just below twenty percent in his big league debut, when last year at Triple A or just last year overall in the season it was twenty four percent and at Triple A was twenty seven percent, we're seeing a really solid improvement from a guy that was always going to have the plate discipline, was always going to give you at least average power. But now when that hit tool is comfortably above average, I think you feel a lot better about his ability to be that twenty to thirty percent above average bat that whole need.
Speaker 2: To be to be the three plus war guy got you and then Walt Schmidt real quick.
Speaker 1: Wald Schmidt. For me, the offense has been more of the same, which is what we kind of expected. Three true outcome bat that can really get into it to the pole side what I And it's interesting that he has not yet left the yard though, in thirty games so far this year, and that's something that you know, we'll have to wait and see. Remember this is a long term projection, not just what you've you done for me lately, but for Walshmint the defensive improvements where you've got a guy that you know, went from being shaky defensively, or at least that was the perception in college, to now being able to go play a viable center field for you from a war perspective, that's obviously going to give him a little bit more of an advantage. He also gives you similar value on the base paths. I think there's a little bit more power potential to dream on though we're not seeing him get into it right now. And then the play discipline is comparably great. So there's actually a lot of similarities with these guys offensively. And I think then with of course Bizana being a little bit more high floor because of his back to ball skills, then the other exchange is that wals Schmidt is going to give you more value with the glove, where it's either going to be an above average corner or a solid at center field. So I'm really interested. It's like kind of choose your flavor type of situation. I think Bizana's floor offensively is comfortably higher, but wald Schmidt's maybe overall floor from a war perspective, maybe a little bit higher because of the defensive value that he brings you. I could see this one going.
Speaker 2: Either way, though, and that's why you're splitting hairs here, all right. Before we get to another minor leaguer, I do want to tell you about something very exciting happening with Tops and our friends at Lids. The top Series two cards are out, so you can go chase pretty much everybody's card, but there is a bit of a scavenger hunt happening right now in seven different cities. There are seven cards of local stars that are hidden in random Lids stores across the country. These cards are placed in the store for release day today. You can collect cards today June tenth, it's Wednesday. Make sure you also get your Series two product at lids, where you'll find affordable retail and hobby configurations. These cards include Rookies, Parallels, Autos, and case hits the game's top players. They're up for grabs for anyone who who finds it. So the seven Cities where you're on this Top Series two Scavenger Hunt Seattle where you're hunting Julio Rodriguez, La where you're hunting Shoho Tani, Atlanta where you're hunting Ronald Acuna Junior, New York where you're hunting Aaron Judge, Philly where you're looking for Bryce Harper, Houston where you're looking for Jordan Alvarez, and Chicago where you're looking for Pete Crow Armstrong. Again. The Top Series two Scavenger Hunt at Lidds is officially live. It's a great opportunity to go not only get some cards, but also try to find that holy grail and something that you will hold on to for a while or make a ton of money on when you resell it. You got options there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this's a fun one. Liz has been doing some cool promos with the Scavenger hunts and I know, like we had a fun one in Seattle with the cal Raley card and our guys a Marine Layer and Series two there's always some really cool like random you go, you gotta go through the checklist, Like, there's a lot of really cool autographs and cards that you wouldn't expect in those types of products. So I think people are gonna have fun with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's get to another guy here in a Yankee prospect George Lombard, Junior Lombard one of the bigger risers on Just Baseball's Top one hundred update, he goes from fifty three to twenty. What about Lombard and his season in the upper minors has you most encouraged right now?
Speaker 1: I just keep thinking about every time I talk what we talk about him, is that that the pump fake like call up, like promotion from Double A A.
Speaker 2: Big you know you're going to Scranton, baby Electric City here, I come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't be filming, uh, promotions from level to level like that in the manager's office just can't happen. But no, I mean that though, like the fact that he has been so good that he you know, in a year like in the year prior where he understandably kind of battled a little bit at the once he was quickly pushed a Double A. It just seems like he gathers the information, he returns there and he just gets better, and I think that's what what you kind of just love about George Lombard another player where I think I think the floor and ceiling get confused with a guy like this because you see him and say, oh man, this guy can be's trying to like, look good, look how good he is already? I think the reason why he's so good already is because the floor is there. There aren't even though he's got a little bit of a bigger frame, and maybe you can always grow into more power, but there isn't anything that jumps off the page to me when it comes to the tools. But there's also you're hard pressed to find a deficiency in his game. He looks like a solid defender on the left side of the infield, and you know has all the ingredients to ticket short. He's a good runner, superb plate discipline, So maybe that would be what jumps off the page, but that's not really something that you're like, wow, look at the plate discipline. That's gonna be something that you see over time and in the field of hit is good. I think that's the other area where it's gonna be interesting to see how that continues to develop. But it's hard to assess because he has been so aggressively pushed and he has battle battle battled, and then settles in and then is great. And I think we've seen that each time. Right twenty twenty four he gets twenty nine games at high A eighty seven WRC plus. Twenty twenty five, he starts a season for twenty four games and completely obliterates it. Twenty twenty five, he finishes the year at double A for one hundred and eight games and starts slow, finishes strong, and then in twenty twenty six starts the year again at double A, obliterates it, gets up to triple A. And right now we're in that working through it phase. I think you can kind of guess what's probably gonna happen here is gonna get better and better and better is your progresses. And then if he will see if they get crazy, calm up. I don't think they'll do that. If he returns next year to triple A, I bet you he torches it. And that's a big reason why this guy keeps climbing, is you just know that he is going to get better and better and settle in and just maximize his abilities. He's rarely going to get himself out in the box. He's rarely going to make an unforced error relative to other players his age in the field. He gives you value on the base pats and you still have the ability to dream on more impact. And you know him growing into a bit more power, which I mean if he gets to that average or above average pop. I mean, the sum of his parts here is just an above average every day shortstop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next guy that we want to talk about here staying in the American League East, THEO Gillan of the Tampa Bay Rays. You've got Gillan up from seventy five to nineteen, you were already one of the high guys on Gillan. Now you are so far and away the highest guy on THEO Gillan. It seems like Gillan is making his case for Minor League Player of the Year right now. I mean he's hitting three twenty two and forty six games in High A with ten homers, twenty two bags and twenty five attempts and an ops over one thousand right now as a twenty year old in HYA. If the season ended today and it couldn't be Jacob Gonzalez is THEO Gillan your minor league player of the year right.
Speaker 1: Now, Hey, he might be unless there's somebody off that like that. I'm just forgetting off the top of my head right now.
Speaker 2: Like Serota's hitting three thirty seven with ten homers.
Speaker 1: He's also gotten in base like forty six straight games. That guy is unbelievable. But I think Theo's got a strong case because we're gonna look at a player here that when you start to the stat queries of like who's hit twenty homers and stole fifty bags, I don't think that's gonna be anybody other than potentially THEO gilling who's got ten bags. And it's not the high volume high like you know, just spamming it getting thrown out bags last year was thirty six for thirty nine, and this year it's twenty two for twenty five. In the stolen based department, the raw power, and this is why we were talking about him LA last years, like he's just scraping the surface, which is crazy to say about. I get that had a one fifty one WRC plus last year. He's just scraping the surface, Like he's hitting the ball so hard. Just wait till Gillan starts elevating more and settles in a little bit more and is healthy. And he's healthy this year, and we're seeing the uptick in game power now all of a sudden. He had five homers in seventy three games last year. He's doubled that in forty six games this year. And the peripherals are just ridiculous. He's hitting the living crap out of the baseball. So you pair the plus raw power comfortably with I think there's a little bit more swing and miss in there. Maybe then people are are giving him credit for at this point, But I don't see it as like a liability. And I still think he's going to get to that, you know, average ish hit tool. It's hedged by the superb plate discipline, the plus power, and the field to be able to pull the ball in the air at a pretty consistent clip. I'm trying to pull up where his EV ninety stacked up to, you know, some of the other guys here, and I mean one hundred and eight mile per hour ninetieth percentile eggs of velocity for a guy that is twenty years old and really is only played entering this year. It only played eighty professional games, there's still more room for strength in that frame. He still flies and the biggest thing for me was the defensive video with Gillan. He still got some ways to go. But remember this was a player that was in the that was an infielders as a high schooler, dealt with a lot of injuries and made the move to centerfield immediately. The put him straight out there and has gotten better and better and better. And to me, with the speed, he looks like somebody that can develop into you know, at least an average center field or maybe above average and with all the aforementioned tools, that could be a superstar.
Speaker 2: So host sway Depaula another guy with star potential. I don't know about superstar potential like Gillan, but Hostwaid Depaula through fifty five games in double A mindview. He just turned twenty one years old two weeks ago. Depaula in fifty five games, hitting three fourteen, with thirty extra base hits and sixteen bags, already walking more than he's punched out, and he's got a nine to fifty four ops. Depaula has fluctuated a bit on the top one hundred, but he hasn't really fallen below like sixty or seventy. He was at forty one on the preseason update. He's at eighteen now. I mean, this guy, is he close to untouchable at it? At the trade deadline, like I'm thinking about, Okay, the Dodgers make a move for Schooble. If Scott Harrisks is asking for Depaula, you probably say no. If they're asking for Hope, you probably say yes. That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 1: I'm not far off of that. And it's crazy because at the start of this year I was completely in a different, different camp there. And the big reason why is I had two clear cut concerns with him last year, and one, you know, the most definitive being his ability to stay back on secondaries. He makes a mechanical adjustment and is able to now not only stay back with his weight but his path. Man, he's in the zone so much longer now. And it's kind of a funny feel that he has found where you see the way that he set up, it's like the bats kind of draped or just kind of resting just below his back shoulder. It almost feels like the barrel is like it looks like the barrel weighs an extra ten pounds or something like that, with the way that he's kind of letting it dangle behind him. But that's clearly a feel to be able to gonna get the barrel working behind him, and then he's made the adjustments to be able to stay back with his weight, and we will get a guy that I was very concerned about his ability to hit spin and the quality of contact against spin. He went from seven to eight oh ps against breaking balls last year to nine to ninety one this year. Mind you, this is at the double A level, whereas it was both levels last year. The other aspect is the underlying quality of contact. Went from an eighty five point eight miles per hour average ex of velocity against breaking balls last year ninety three point five this year. He's pillaging spin. Same thing with changeups and splitters. So you take that, you take the fact that his overall contact rates up eight percent, and it's not just the breaking balls. He's better against fastballs too, it's just better against everything. He's up to his contact right against heaters by seven percent, and that's produced a nine to ninety seven ops against those. I think, looking back, I was too harsh on a hitter that was twenty years old getting up to double A and even just like just seeing in the past, like you struggle with the spin, struggle with to spend the same kind of frustrating swings. But he's never really faced adversity and he's been such a productive hitter at every single stop, so I think that, you know, and putting him at where where he had him before, closer to the middle of the top one hundred, was probably a little bit harsh. I just felt like there was so much pressure on the bat, given that you're not gonna get a ton of value beyond the bat, but he's still now showing that he can give you some value on the base paths. I think he's gonna be it won't be a liability in the outfield, and that in itself is helpful. But it just has been amazing to see him make that mechanical adjustment and just tap into this power on a different level. He had twelve twelve homers last year in one hundred and two games. He's got ten and fifty five this year. So I think just looking at it last year and seeing the struggles at high A with spin, I thought man this might really really it's set at double A and it's the complete opposite that the peripherals are way better and overall everything is better. And it's just it's been amazing to see he's walking more than he's striking out.
Speaker 2: If you're not tapped into Tulsa Driller Baseball, that's the best outfield in minor league baseball. And it's not close. It's insane with Depaula, with Hope, with Sarota and Kendall George obviously hurt, but Kendall George at the beginning of the year too, Like that is must watch every single night. So tap into your Driller Baseball, get a T shirt? Why don't you Ralphi Velaskiz We've talked about a lot over the last couple of episodes, but why is Ralphie up forty spots from fifty seven to seventeen?
Speaker 1: I mean, he's just such a sound power profile, like we've talked about, Like, it's just it's just so easy to buy into what this guy is going to be offensively, and I think him and to Paula now are quite similar. And you know, I can understand people making the case for Depaula as well, but I think the fun part here is that, you know, you've got a guy in Ralphie who turned twenty one years old two weeks ago and is already at Triple A and just hit his first homer the other day at the level and starting to settle in pretty quickly there. But as decimated made a mockery of Double A twenty eight games in twenty twenty five one eighty eight WRC plus to close out the year, and then thirty six games to start the year this year at Double A a one to sixty one WRC plus. It's just wild stuff from a guy that for a power, you know, first base prep profile, you'd think that it would be more station to station. It's been anything but that. And there's been a shift since the second half of last year that just has been continuous where this guy it's good back to ball, it's great power, it's great angles, it's improved swing decisions. And this guy, I think is i'd one of the more just sound power profiles that you've got in the minor leagues that has been able to get into it much eat more easily than most twenty year olds now newly turned twenty one year olds due you know, in the upper levels.
Speaker 2: All right, we are going to get to the final five guys that we have to talk about that are inside the top fifteen. But before that, I do want to tell you about our friends at Visual Edge real quick. Because if you're in pro ball, you're living on buses, you're living in hotel rooms. So here's the question, how are you developing on the road? Visual Edge lets you train your visual processing and pitch recognition from virtually anywhere. All you need laptop or tablet, anything bigger than a phone. Fifteen minutes and you're good. You start with the Edge test and you see how you rank against other pros. Then you follow a personalized plan built around your results. This category of training has been used by big leaguers like Aaron Judge, Nico Horner, and Tommy Edmond because seeing the ball a fraction earlier matters. Listeners can use code call up all caps one word for your first month, free free three D glasses, free shipping, and you can cancel any time. Go to visual edge dot com, slash sign up and use code call up that's visual with a Z. If you're chasing the call, control what you can control. Time to talk Duno Alfredo Duno with the Cincinnati Reds is showing off the high level thump that he had last year. The big difference between last year and this year is the walk to punch out was unbelievable. Last year he walked ninety five times as a nineteen year old catcher Alfredo Duno, but this year hasn't walked as much. He's punching out a bit more. But Duno hitting two fifty with an eight to eighty ops in Dayton and he doesn't turn twenty one until next January. Alfredo Duno up from forty two to eleven, even though the standard numbers would indicate slight down turn as he climbs in level. What has you most encourage about his starting hya?
Speaker 1: He's hitting the living crap out of the baseball and it's just you watch this guy continue to develop as a hitter. And yeah, I know he's whiffing a little bit more, but it's important to remember, I mean, Duno missed out on a fair amount of reps at the lower levels. Last year was the first full season he's ever really played, and he had the year that he had, and then Musa him the airs on a fall league where there's a lot of reasons to be encouraged by what he was doing out there. The ability to hit the ball as hard as he does consistently and in the air consistently is just ridiculous. I mean, we're already seeing him hit homers, you know, four hundred and eighty feet like it's just it's nuts. The power that this guy has and seeing him get into it with better mechanics and the athleticism in the box and developing defensively, and that's gonna be a little bit more of a process. But I think he's getting better and better as you check in. The makeup is just so ahead of his years as well, and you hear nothing but great things about the way he goes about his business. Skid was nineteen years old at the start of the season and has gotten up to hia and has been able to get to his power at a clip even more ridiculous than he was, you know last year. Eighteen homers one hundred thirteen games is great. The fact that he's already got twelve and fifty and is look. I think some of the strikeout up tick is the fact that he's so willing to go deep into these counts, but the ability to recognize spin, the ability to still spoil, I think is impressive too. When he's getting you know, an a swing off geared for airpole, he still has a little bit of that adjustability. It's not too rigid if the catching can continue to develop when you've got the plus arm that he's had that he has and the athleticism that he has behind the dish. The fact that you can dream on you know, thirty plus homers and then a guy that can stick behind the dish with the ability to walk three true outcome with thirty plus homers as a catcher is you can sign me up for that. And also, by the way, he can sneaky run too, even if it's not going to turn into bags. The fact that you have a catcher like that that's not going to clog the base paths for you is valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, immensely valuable. Another catcher that we get to talk about arm why is Ethan Sallas up from one hundred to nine on Just Baseball's Top one hundred update. By the way, happy belated. He turned twenty years old last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though it feels like he's been around for fifteen years. Because and I know he's slowed down a little bit, to be expected, he missed all last year and he's catching a lot this year, but tangible adjustment in the box, the mechanics of better tangible like physical change. He looks so much stronger, healthy, and the results have just been ridiculous. Whether you look at the surface level stats as a guy that was nineteen years old at the start of the season producing you know, above average numbers at double A, or you look at the underlying which is a guy that is hitting the ball way harder than he ever ever has. I mean, had never posted an air ev north of one o eight and we've seen multiple one to twelves already this year, and I think five or six cvs already north of that one oh nine one ten threshold. There you see the contact rate leap, and that's probably the craziest part is like you see the uptick in power and the uptick in the ability to like get into that power in games, but to also pair that with a five percent increase or excuse me more than that, to pair that with an eight percent increase in zone contact where he's parting a ninety one percent in zone contact rate and an eleven percent overall improved contact rate. That's the biggest thing for me. The out of zone contact rate is up sixteen percent. To me, before he was kind of getting out onto that front side, drifting and waving at the ball a little bit more of like that shallow swing path, and now it seems like he's got all day. He's using the ground so well. The path is better, and he can adjust, he can move, he's more athletic in the box. And you pair that with hitting the ball harder to also being able to hit all different pitch types better and get to pitches in different regions better, you're gonna have a much better hitter. And then, of course he's the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues, so at least in terms of value and what you can project, he's the best defensive catcher in the minor league. So if he and we've talked about this, if he's a ninety WRC plus, he's gonna be a starting big league catcher for a really long time. And now with the improvements that we've seen as a nineteen slaw twenty year old, he looks like he could be a one to twenty WRC plus maybe he'll be somewhere in between that, but if even as a chance to be that, the upside is one of the best catchers in Major League Baseball. So that's why he is regarded as the best catching prospect in baseball for US now.
Speaker 2: So Freddy Fermen has had a pretty good last week, So you could probably trade Sallas for school Blitt the deadline if what if you're aj Preller, But we shall see. Uh, I'm gonna give you a little exercise to tee up the next guy that we got to talk about here post COVID Minor League strikeout leaders. In twenty twenty one, Cade Cavali punched out one hundred and seventy five guys. He did it in the upper miners. In twenty twenty two, Brandon Fott punched out two hundred and eighteen guys. He did it in the upper miners. In twenty twenty three, Drew Thorpe punched out one hundred and eighty two. He did it in the upper miners. In twenty twenty four, Quinn Matthews climbed a whole bunch of levels. He finished in the upper miners, and he had a two hundred and two strikeout season. Last year, Jonah Toong did it in and trip Ala for the most part, punched out one hundred and seventy nine guys. Your minor league strikeout leader right now. Glaring difference he's doing it in the lower miners is Seth Hernandez or the Pittsburgh Pirates. Seth Hernandez makes the climb from forty nine to six. It's kind of unheard of what Seth Hernandez is doing right now from a strikeout accumulation perspective in the lower levels of the minor leagues. And it sounds a little similar to a Pirate from last year. When we talk about unprecedented production in the lower levels of the minor leagues, Connor Griffin comes to mind, and now Seth Hernandez comes to mind in twenty six.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's just crazy stuff. And he in a little bit of like an adjustment period a couple like starts there in high A and then by the last one I just watched him, he looked so much more comfortable and settled in there. I mean, the strikeout numbers are just ridiculous, and it's funny because I think sometimes we just kind of expected because loway was such a joke for him that, oh, he's just gonna mow through and hi, alb a joke too. Hey, baseball's not that easy. And he's had this slight adjustment period, but even through that, he's still striking everybody out because the stuff is so freaking good. And again, I think the last couple outings it's looked much better. And even then nine innings over the last couple outings he's struck out fifteen and walked four. It's just such electrifying stuff. And as we talked about, like this is the highest ceiling of any pitching prospect in the minor leagues, and we're already seeing that not twenty years old yet, sixty four to two hundred pounds and averaging ninety seven with the fastball, but we've seen him, like we know that he can get up to one oh one, one oh two. This has been a seth Hernandez. It's focused on building the workload, staying healthy, and you know, for a guy like him that it's it's not even about like how many bats he can miss in terms of trying to get to the big leagues as soon as possible. It's about showing that he can handle the workload. It's already at fifty innings, and I think the focus for him has been that. And so just to see Seth be able to continue to get stretched out and continue to hold his v LO deeper in outings and be more focused on that side has been really exciting. And as I talked about going into this year, the two questions with him, which were the splitting hair questions were, you know he throws hard, and you know he has elite change up. What's the fastball shape going to look like? And what are the breaking ball is going to look like? Fastball shape has been good and the breaking balls have been really good compared to what we were expecting. Like the curveball looks above average. I think this lader looks like it's not least average pitch will probably develop into an above average offering. You pair that with a plus plus change up, and you've got one of the more electrifying pitching prospects in major league baseball or minor league baseball.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing that I know about you, it's that you are a huge x FIP guy who cares if your number five prospect in baseball is an Elra over five. The x FIP looks pretty good at three point four to six. In all seriousness, Ryan Sloan to the Seattle Mariners is up from twenty eight to five. You look at the era north of five, you say, oh, why is he ahead of Seth Hernandez? But then you see that he's punching out eleven and a half per nine, he's walking fewer than three per nine. He's keeping the ball in the ballpark as well. In Double A. I I guess I don't want to brand it as why is slowing up twenty spots? I want to brand it as why is he ahead of Seth Hernandez at number five?
Speaker 1: You know that only five months apart, Ryan Swan is only five months older than Seth Hernandez.
Speaker 2: It's amazing because obviously.
Speaker 1: We had a whole season, the whole coming out party from Ryan Sloan last year. Swan's pitching in Double A right now, and he is striking out a lot of batters and he's not walking a lot of guys. And he had a couple of rough outings in a very hitter friendly Texas week to start the year, and he just continues to pound the zone He's not gonna nibbles. He's just gonna continue to fill it up. And we've seen Swan get better and better and better as he is settled in. I know that the last time out was was not the best for him. It was in one of the worst places to have to pitch and whatever. Before that, it was six perfect with eleven strikeouts. So it's just about kind of stringing them together. But I think if you look at the last five starts as a whole, he has just been better and better and better as you watch this year. But again, reminder, five months older than Seth Hernandez, who is kind of having his own little adjustment period in High A, Sloan is doing it in Double A right now. And the biggest thing with him is he's getting burned by the long ball in the Texas League. I think that's where you look at the X fIF The NEXS fifth actually might matter, It actually might be relevant there. But with Sloan is the floor is just so high. I like the delivery more too. At this point it's just a lot more repeatable, the arm actions cleaner, and the ability to just spawn pitches for him is just wild. That he could just pick up a two seam grip and just make it work. And it's been a huge part of his arsenal here, the ability to mix ground balls with with I like everything about what Ryansom makes it. But the thing is is like Seth Nanders is a slightly higher ceiling or maybe have a little bit higher ceiling, but Swoan has I think a comfortably higher floor and still has this exorbitantly high ceiling as well. And I think when you look at it that way, that's where I just slightly lean towards the kid that's only a few months older and doing it at double A right now and projects to have plus command. And when you look at the individual pitch grades, I just think you get a little bit of an edge there too, right or like the other aspect to us saying, oh, well, the fastballs, you know, like you know, Seth throws so hard. Ryan Swan is averaging ninety six five with the fastball this year. Seth Hernandez is averaging ninety six eight with the fastball this year. So and I know the shape is maybe a little bit better with Sets, but Seth's shape has taken a little bit of a hit since getting a high A and Swan off sets it with better command of the pitch. So this is the ultimate splitting of hairs. And these guys might just kind of like surpass each other every time you check in and might go back and forth, back and forth. But right now with the strike rate, with the improved pitch mix, and I think being able to add that Sinker just added a different level to Swoan that It just gets me so excited. And the cleaner delivery that and that's probably the biggest thing. I think Seth's our action can get a little bit long, and I think that creates some shape variants. I lean on the floor and ceiling combination of Ryan Sloan dig it.
Speaker 2: Last Ky, we got to talk about rises from thirty nine to three on Just Baseball's Top one hundred list. He's twenty years old. For the entirety of the year, he is mashing in double A right now. Franklin Arius, the Boston Red Sox, is your number three prospect in baseball through forty eight games, thirteen homers, A, nine to ninety ops. Why do you love Arius? And why do you have Franklin Arius ahead of Leo Devrees.
Speaker 1: That was going to be the area that I was just going to focus on there, because I think why I love Arius is going to be the same reason why everybody loves Arius. He's he was a high floor guy entering this year that has performed as one of the youngest players at each level and now has added all of this power, and I think that's just the most incredible aspect of it. I don't think there's not a lot of players that we can remember, I can think of in recent memory that have been so hit tool oriented and added such a significant amount of power. Where it was eight homers in one hundred and sixteen games last year, he's got thirteen in forty eight games at Double A this year, and it was eighty seven games at High A last year. You look at the defense, he's always projected well because he's so shorthanded, and you know the range is good. He looks now comfortably like a well above average, potentially plush short top. He's gotten so much better to the backhand and thrown from these different angles, he looks fantastic. And I just think pairing that with the fact that you have a hit tool oriented guy that is now providing average power and maybe above average power, like I think you could. Trying to project the power was really hard because from a guy that was below average to now uptick across the board, and I mean average game power present right now for Arius is like two notches up from where he was last year. So the some of those parts are just so so exciting where I mean, you just don't you don't see guys jump four and a half miles per hour in their average eggs of velocity in twenty percent in the hard hit rate department and a mile per hour and a half in the average bat speed department, Like everything is better everything. His average launch angle is up three and a half degrees. Like, you hit the ball harder, you hit the ball in the air more, you're consistently moving the bat faster, and you are the same hit tool guy that you were before. Arius is just a slam dunk. And when you compare him to Devrees, I was really it was one of the latest switches that we made Defrees. Maybe as he grows more he has this raw power uptick as well. But Arius is hitting the ball harder, he's presently more advanced defensively at shortstop, and he's better about to ball wise, And so it was like where is the where's the edge for Devrees. I an say I'm a speed he's a switch hitter. That helps too, But I couldn't really find the area that Darese is better than Arius, especially now because Devrees has the angles the batterball angles right, and that's why he's always able to outslug the eggs velocities, but especially now that Arius has the raw power and the angles. Presently there's just not a tool right now. I think that that Devrese has over Arius.
Speaker 2: Can get behind that. That's our program, folks, those are our biggest risers.
Speaker 1: We're going to do more of the newcomers coming up later in the week. We also have an interview with Corson mill Brandt, who is one of the newcomers we're going to talk about as well, and well up into the list here in the top fifty, so keep an eye out for that. As always, thank you for listening. We'll talk prospects with you. Mar