Speaker 1: The John Nick and Kenny Florian Podcast, John Annick and Kenny Florian.
Speaker 2: I fucking love him.
Speaker 3: I can't get enough of him.
Speaker 4: That big job there, Frank, there are a couple of absolutely self involved.
Speaker 1: Here are your hosts, John Annick and Kenny Florian.
Speaker 5: Good Monday to you, high noon on the East coast of the United States of America. Thank you all for being with us live on YouTube on the anak florent podcast channel and the All the Spoke Fight channel as well. It is Monday for twenty Happy birthday, Corey sand Hey. Get April twentieth, twenty twenty six, episode five ninety two of the Antik and Florian Podcast. At this time, I would like everybody to put something in the air. No ken flow BattleBots and then a red eye, so there will be no BattleBots spoilers today. But if you don't know, Kenny Florian and Chris thug Rose the greatest robot commentators of all time. So you just had BattleBots, hit the red eye and crack on the Attica Floring Podcast.
Speaker 6: I got a little peek into your world, my friend. I have even more respect for you, buddy. Yeah, it's not easy, but we're here. I'm excited to talk fights. I did my homework and I'm here, Professor.
Speaker 5: You wear hats a lot on the program, so it's nice to see the lettuce flowing. So I'm wearing a gold chain and GLD sponsored the podcast for a while, and Cody Merrow was commenting on the gold chain before the show, and it got me thinking about Sean Strickland's comments recently. You may or may not have seen them about guys who wear chains, right, and whatever kind of message you're trying to set. So I did not wear jewelry of any kind really until I was forty six years old when GLD sponsored pods and now rocket the gold chain. So I got a fighter meeting with Sean Strickland coming up here in about fifteen days, and I was trying to figure out how I could get creative with the chain. I don't know, like maybe take it off at the man. This thing is just giving me allergies, or I don't know what I would do with the chain, or just say let me let me take this chain off Sean before our fighter meeting.
Speaker 7: But I will say our fighter meetings with.
Speaker 5: Sean are so great and so thoughtful and technical that I thought I would try to bring some levity off the top with the chain, and Cody Merrill made me think of that. I got to be the only guy, by the way, whoever showed up to do the Jackson podcast at the Beautiful Plus Santo Studio who didn't receive a single piece of merchandise Nora a chain. So we're rocking GLD loud and proud until further notice. Bear you got my number, all right? A lot to get to today. Alexander Hernandez, the Great ape belt chan Klango, who fights this weekend against Rafa Garcia, featured about from the Ufcapex, will join us in about ninety minutes.
Speaker 7: A lot to get to.
Speaker 5: Before we get there, we will recap UFC Fight Night Burns versus Malotte Gilbertorino. Burns is off into retirement. We'll talk to his podcast co host Matty Betts from Home of Fight about him and Hanato Moykano. We do have a couple of predictions coming up. UFC Fight Night Sterling versus The Lal. I don't know if Ray Longo is in Las Vegas or getting ready to be wheels up to Las Vegas to Corno al Jo Ornapa. We of course, we'll talk to Ray Longo ur J Clifford coming up in about ten minutes. Jason Andik is gonna join us. I mean, who am I forgetting? I don't even know. But let's get to the meat and bones of the program. Let's get to headlines, headlines.
Speaker 8: It's time for headlines.
Speaker 1: I have some very urgent and important breaking new headlines.
Speaker 2: And Kenny sans concast.
Speaker 5: All right, lead story today, Phil Defreese KSW heavyweight champion. Kenny is looking right into the camera as if to say, I did not prepare for this, so not necessarily the lead story, but across my a few minutes before we began the program, right, do you remember Philda Freese?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you and I called a few of his early fights. You called his fight the night upon which Connor McGregor made his UFC debut April sixth, twenty thirteen, first pay per view. I worked UFC one fifty five. He fought on that card as well. He was released from the UFC in twenty thirteen. And I'm on MMA Junkie this morning. Fourteen straight heavyweight title defenses in KSW for Philda Freeze.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's crazy and Kiss Kiss organization and tough, tough guys.
Speaker 5: A lot of things can happen in heavyweight mixed martial arts. He's won sixteen straight fights overall. We have talked about the fact that there isn't a universal MMA Hall of Fame. Patrecio Pitbull I mentioned a UFC three twenty seven would be a primary entry, But dude, like this is at least on paper, and I can't profess to having seen anything but highlights on paper. This is, like all of fame, largely unprecedented stuff. Right, Fourteen title defense is the standard upon which all great champions are judged. Is how many banners are hanging? How many times do you defend the title? Fourteen times?
Speaker 6: It's very impressive, especially considering the fact that so much can go wrong in a heavyweight title fight, right, I mean, you're talking about heavyweights swinging leather. One shot, even one bad shot, is all it takes, you know, to the dome. So the fact that he has had experience that level of consistency is extremely impressive.
Speaker 5: All Right, congratulations to Phil the Freeze. We will now turn our attention to UFC fight Night Burns versus Malot and indeed the final fight for Gilbert Burns a lot of headlines on the winter side as well.
Speaker 7: Mike Malot, you like him a lot.
Speaker 5: The Canadian comes to yet again TKO at the two to oh eight mark of round three. I didn't stick around to see him acknowledge the Canadian fans. Did he get out of Michael's day? This has been my dream since I was twelve to be here with you folks in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. This isn't my atriotism coming through necessarily. But did you stick around for the post fight interview or are you too busy with the robot fights.
Speaker 7: I did not see that.
Speaker 6: I did not see the post fight speech, but I did see the performance, man, and he was on point. I mean, landing shot after shot that really was reeling Gilbert Burns. And you know what was a little bit of a concern was the delayed effect that some of those shots had. There was like a little bit of a pause after he got hit and then he would drop And to me, that's not a good sign. And you know, we'll talk about Gilbert's thoughts on that in his career. But Molot was on point, man. He was looking really sharp. He was taking advantage of all the things that he should have been taking advantage of during that fight, his height, his length, keeping him at the end of those punches, keeping burns at the end of those punches, and yeah, not a whole lot to talk about, just because it was so dominant and it didn't last too long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean boxing, Look, crisp, he is never sort of fake by the magnitude of the moment, and certainly, carrying the flag and the proverbial torch for your country, it's not always the easiest thing to do. And he is that guy right now in Canada. And the extent to which he can contender how high the ceiling is, I really don't know. He's knocking down the cones in front of him and he's doing it with style points, right, I mean, Gilbert is a game fighter who has been there and done that. As we live in the malot side, what do you think about him when you think about you know, the Carlos Protests of the World, Jack Della Matta Lane, those two guys are headlining here in less than two weeks, right, I mean, how do you think he stacks up with the elite of the elite at one hundred and seventy pounds.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, I certainly think it's going to be a confidence builder coming off of a win over a big name like Gilbert Burns. I think is going to do wondrous for his confidence moving forward as he takes on more difficult competition. Now about that more difficult competition, I think he can crack in to, you know, and beat some of those elite guys. I think he may start to run into some trouble if he hasn't solved the issues with his willingness to just want to brawl at times. But from what I've seen, he has fought a lot smarter. He has stuck to game plans much better. But you know, he is such a fighter that sometimes he will just throw down, sometimes blindly, and those are the things at the highest levels that can get you in trouble. Now, I think my lot has matured a lot, and I think that he could post some problems for some of those elite guys, but we'll see. I think taking the right matchups is going to be critical as he gets more experienced. But he's good everywhere. John, He's a great athlete. He's got knockout power. He's proven that time and time again. He has the toughness. For me, it just comes down to execution a game plan and managing those injuries properly.
Speaker 5: He doesn't seem to be in any rush to sort of expedite a title run. Cody Merrow or Producer in the chat saying privately here huge myss to not call someone out in the postfight. So there wasn't a call out after the fact, And some of these guys are certainly matched up. We mentioned protests and yeah, Jack at Elena and Sean Brady and Joaquin Buckley. But I do believe that it behooves you as a fighter to try to spin it forward with every moment you have, and there are a few bigger moments than in the octagon after a big win like that. Definitely well that there's necessarily an obvious call out there. You know, Kamara Usman is a fruitless call out because he's not gonna fight you. Ian Mashaidogary, I think probably is going to get Islami Kashev, Right, Balah Muhammad matched up with Gabriel Bonfieme, you got Michael venim Page, who I think you just don't call out, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no one wants to fight him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Serbian udo Schmititch with some big things potentially and the works for him coming up. We'll see how it all plays out. But uh yeah, I'm intrigued by Mike Malat. You know, it had me thinking about Joe Pifer right in terms of his relative ceiling in eighty five and mallots at well rounded guys. They know how to grapple. They're willing grapplers, but maybe they strike more in mma. I'm intrigued, but I hope it's a big name and a big fight for malt Yeah, definitely. Where's me Lot ranked right now? Cody get It's a great question. I don't think he came into this fight. No, he was ranked. He was ranked maybe like thirteen or something something so, but Gilbert Burns had the red corner, had the higher ranking, and now Gilbert Durinho Burns goes off into retirement. Accomplished a great deal for the Brazilian jiu jitsu community as a crossover into mixed martial arts, and perhaps that's a big chunk of his legacy. I do believe his fight against Haamza chimayav At UFC two seventy three in twenty twenty two. Paul Felder has said in his broadcasting career, that's the best fight he's ever called. I think the fight between Gilbert Burns and Kamzat Chimaya ends up being the conduit through which Gilbert has his career acknowledged in the Hall of Fame. But what is your biggest takeaway from the uh the career of Gilbert Urinho Burns.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was a former world champion in Brazilian jiu jitsu who clearly had a whole lot of talent, and I think it it's tough to manage when you go into mixed martial arts sometimes when you're coming from another modality like wrestling or jiu jitsu or what have you, because sometimes you spend so long in that other domain that you don't give yourself enough time to learn.
Speaker 7: The other aspects of mixed martial arts.
Speaker 6: And you know, perhaps we can blame a little that little bit of that, you know, for Gilbert, But either way, I think he had a spectacular career. I think he was always very honest with him with himself, which I think you have to be when you're a professional athlete, looking at yourself very honestly, figuring out what you know, where you need to improve, how you need to train. He trained with one of the best teams in the world. He had a lot of success, had some big fights. I think a lot of people will remember him for some of his losses. You know, even in defeat, I thought he was impressive against guys like Hamzat Chimayev had had Kamara Uzman hurt at one point during their fight for the belt, and you know, so I think Gilbert has nothing to be ashamed of. I really appreciated his candor after the fight, talking about his career and what he wants to accomplish next and how he wants to maybe help the next generation, either with jiu jitsu or mixed martial arts or you know, as a manager.
Speaker 7: Perhaps. So loved hearing that.
Speaker 6: Gilbert seems like a really, really nice guy man, and again, very few people will accomplish what.
Speaker 7: He has in the UFC.
Speaker 5: You and I called so many shows in Brazil in the early days. I think I did twenty eight shows over there, right. We used to go six times a year, and there were so many big moments for Gilbert that I remember calling over there. So he came to the UFC pretty Green he was seven and oh as a pro vaulted to ten and oh after submitting Alex Olivera. The Damien Mayo win certainly comes to mind, Kenny, you know, the tyront Woodley win to sort of punctuate that winning streak and earn the title fight. He did hurt Kamar Usman in the title fight, and you know, last win came against Je Mosfietal and he does close the book with five successive losses, all against elite competition, top flight one or two rank contender's former world champions Jack Dela, Mattalena and Bell Blad Muhammad uh did I almost call him Bella? Sorry blal ha ha. The fight with HAMZACHIMAIV is going to go into the UFC Hall of Fame. I think that is an eventual l all right, let's get to our uh, our hall of fame analyst. Now some people know him as Randall. I don't know if his mother goes by r J these days. I know I am one of the few people who reserves the right to call him Randall.
Speaker 7: But let's get to uh. Let's get to r J Clifford.
Speaker 9: It is rated tv N A l V and contains strong language.
Speaker 7: In violence.
Speaker 9: It is intended coming from the ture audiences.
Speaker 5: You a discussion of nine.
Speaker 2: This is rated R no.
Speaker 3: Fighting. That's that's the fun part.
Speaker 10: It's like Hanso from the Zoolanders. So we can haunt right now, dude, Like, well, think about.
Speaker 11: It, Like I don't know who he is. I just know he's ar wrestler. I you know, googled him.
Speaker 5: Oh I got chills. I didn't know we were deputing the intro today. I know we have a lot of high profile female voiceover artists in the works, but you know, I like to lead with your fighting career, and that made it in there. R J Clifford is Live with Us Rated RJ. My Man, good Monday morning to you.
Speaker 10: How we feel fantastic, John, there is no one on earth more proud of a four and three mixed martial arts career than John Anick.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, my leader of my fan club.
Speaker 5: Hey, if I'm a UFC consultant in a few years, I'm gonna recommend that they give r J Clifford a play by play opportunity. But you could be an analyst too. That's the thing that's why we hired you. You know, at least for now. It's great to have you with us, brothers. So were you in Winnipeg, Manitoba or.
Speaker 2: No, I was?
Speaker 10: I was, Yes, I was American Ninja Warriors over crack pipes and some zero temperatures, but very friendly people in Winnipeg, and they were very very happy to have the UFC in town and they showed out.
Speaker 3: Man, Canadian fans always do.
Speaker 7: So when's your next week off?
Speaker 5: Incidentally? Are you going to the Apex this weekend?
Speaker 10: Or no, I'm actually this one. Yeah, I didn't know I had this one off, they said, stuck up on me. So yeah, the wife's out of town, she's got work, so it's just me and the six year olds daddy daughter dates all weekend long. I get to watch a fight on my couch with a beer in hand, the way God wanted it to be.
Speaker 7: So it's great, great, No, it really is. Right.
Speaker 5: I do think about the next time I get to sit down and watch a numbered event. You know, I don't know when that will be. Not gonna have a health related issue, right, but to think about fully never, but man, well thank you. But it is like I would get so excited for those big fights when I was watching just as spectator, even watching on the desk and sort of unleash my inner lunatic.
Speaker 7: But anyway, it's great to have you with us.
Speaker 5: So, you know, when Joe Pifer beats his her a lot of sonia or Mike Mallot wins a fight, sometimes I find myself immediately thinking about, well, how good can they actually be? Right, Michael Morales goes out and beat Sean Brady and now everybody feels pretty convicted in the fact that he can be a world champion. So what do you see from from Mike Malot other than that beautiful red and white flag behind him.
Speaker 10: Well, I I'm like you, I like a lot a lot as well. I mean the way and he's constantly hitting better too, which is the other good part. Like even just his last fight against Kevin Holland, he got taken down because he threw a naked leg kick and got got punched. He's been hiding his kicks better now and then just you know, just one fight later, the way he shifts into range is awesome. Like he's very like Dustin Pourrier and of course very very well rounded. Right, he's getting harder to take down. He seems to be getting smarter. It was his first you know, five round main events obviously only went you know three plus or you.
Speaker 3: Know two and a half.
Speaker 10: But I think the biggest thing is how much he's improving too, right, Like, he's certainly not a finished product, and he keeps getting better.
Speaker 3: I'm really curious, Kenny. It's pretty dangerous shifting.
Speaker 10: That's why you don't see it a lot in box and he's been able to pull it off against you know, a fantastic Gilbert Burns who's three months away from being forty.
Speaker 3: You think it's gonna get him in trouble moving forward? Or is he?
Speaker 7: Should he stick with it?
Speaker 6: You know, I think a lot of it is context. It's like how how you're doing it. Are you disguising it with feints? Are you doing it with an angle or are you just doing it as you're exchanging. If you're doing it as you're exchanging, which he kind of has done in the past, then he's going to find himself in big trouble. He's going to catch those shots kind of like how Mandel Nalo did, which I can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 7: But yeah, you know, I think that I think he's talented.
Speaker 6: There's no question about that I think with this win, I think it makes it complicated because how much of it was Mike Mallatt and how much of it was maybe a little bit of a decline in Gilbert Burns's.
Speaker 7: Skill or his age. So I think that's something that people are going to question. What do you think about that?
Speaker 10: Ar Jie Well, I think Gilbert, I mean, do we want to get into Gilbert Burns now?
Speaker 3: Because I got so much on that, but let's do it. I mean he was just like, like, no, obviously all fighters like give.
Speaker 10: A lot to Mma, what Gilbert Burns gave a ton Like I saw some kind of like MI Mike Mallot hate afterwards, and then it took me a minute to real It's like it's more like Gilbert Burns love than Mike Malot hate. And it's been so fun watching Burns evolve over the twelve years he was in the UFC. Like we're all excited, right, a world jiu jitsu champion coming to the UFC, but one that could also wrestle, like a Damian Maya, Jack Rays Sooza, but unlike them, like he could crack.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: It's like it's not very often when I'm upset that there's a first round knockout. But when he fought Damien and Maya were like, Oh, we're gonna get just the best ground war ever and then just boop one minute in and it's over.
Speaker 3: You're like, ah, come on, we.
Speaker 10: Got robbed of some awesome jiu jitsu, but we got that awesome knockout, and and you know, he had his time, he had his title shot, he had that great wind streak, he gave Chamaia of all he can handle.
Speaker 3: But I think I think what I really.
Speaker 10: Went to bed thinking about was how he exited the sport in the in the right way, right, like you know, blah Mohammed beat him, you got a title shot. JDM beat him a title shot. Mike Malott needed a name in a main event in Canada, and he answered the call, right, And so the young eat the old in combat sports. And he's going to be forty in exactly three months by FI losing Street obviously, like I'm the last guy in the world to say, hey, I don't want this fighter to retire. But in the fighter meetings, he was talking about how bumdy was he wasn't going on a family vacation to Spain.
Speaker 3: Because of a training camp.
Speaker 10: And if that's where your mind's going, I think that's the right time.
Speaker 5: I remember there was a video Kenny and RJ on UFC embedded and Gilbert had all these handwritten notes and I posted it on Instagram at some point in time. Just meticulous, copious handwritten stuff about how to figure this part of mixed martial arts out and just so much respect. Yeah, RJ and Kenny for the contribution to the game. And he loved that knockout life, that's for sure.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he was and just like one of the nice guys of the sport too, right. I always like wonder dude, like really really nice guy fighters.
Speaker 3: Do they hate that? That's the reputation, like you're a bad you're a cage fighter, right, And I was like, oh, Damien May, he's so nice. S Gilbert Burd He's so nice.
Speaker 10: It's like I also could strangle him, motherfucker pretty good too, you know, like.
Speaker 3: You want to mention that part as well.
Speaker 7: R JG.
Speaker 6: Do you think he was ever the same after the Hamsat Chimaya fight. Great question, Great question, because though those are the kind of fights, it's like that was an amazing fight, but some people don't come out the same after that, and he did great.
Speaker 7: But when you're getting.
Speaker 6: Hit by a guy like Chimaya, these things might happen. Because to me, it almost seems like he would he was kind of not the same.
Speaker 10: Do you think that I think he might be onto something. I mean, he he still wanted to fight the same too, which was a little different, right Like you see, you know, like when like when Randy Coutour was able to fight into his forties, it was like, I'm just gonna, you know, clench real heavy. I'm you know, I'm gonna lean on my greco. The speed isn't there, so I gotta slow everything down. Well, Gilbert Burns just like, I'm just gonna keep fighting the way I know how and it's gonna be awesome. And the fights have been great. And you know, we're talking about how much Mike Mallot's evolving. I think Gilbert Burns got to a really really good place. Not that he didn't keep evolving, but he found his stroke and stuck with it and maybe his his his mind kept going, but the body didn't really keep up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: R J Clifford with us live on the Anti Comploring Podcast. Thanks to everybody for subscribing to the channel, And yeah, Gilbert Burns made a lot of money. You know, the show money got pretty good. There were bonuses along the way. You just hope for a guy like that that with respect to like bare knuckle boxing, that he doesn't need the payday that would come with that, And I don't think he does. You know, real American freestyle wrestling is doing a lot of things for a lot of athletes.
Speaker 7: I'd love to see him compete there.
Speaker 5: I would imagine he wouldn't mind doing some sort of grappling competition in the future. So a lot of different ways for Gilbert Reino Burns to make money could probably cut I'm tating a couple of different languages. But classy individual to be sure, And dude, nice guys do finish last, right, Like when I used to be nice. Actually, I mean in high school they called me well, in high school they called.
Speaker 3: It turned it around, John, It was really holding you back all this time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, in high school I used to like shave my head and wear a black bandana and I thought I was a lot of things I wasn't and they would call me bad and Jason good like the upper classmen would be like, oh, what's up bad? You know so, But I like to give nice guys a hard time. That's why I'm banging on the Canadian Mike Malot right. Daniel Rodriguez is number fourteen in the world. Colby Covington is number fifteen. I was not aware that Mike Blot came into this fight unranked. But RJ is there's some onus on me fighter to not just say.
Speaker 7: Right like sorry, ladies.
Speaker 5: I'm not the golfing type, right as Adam Sandler said it, Sorry, sorry, guys, I'm not the calling out type. Well, be careful because opportunity missed. I think according to.
Speaker 3: Some yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 10: I've always I've always wanted fighters to be themselves, but as much as possible. Like, if you're kind of an asshole, like just be a big one, right. If you're kind of a smart ass, like be a really really big smart ass.
Speaker 3: If you're a nice guy, be a super nice guy.
Speaker 10: And I think the Canadians, the Canadian fighters have a little bit of an inside track where you could be popular in Canada and not need you don't need to be a trash talker like obviously he wants international appeal and he wants to be a star everywhere. But you know, like George Saint Pierre, right, just like would not talk trash on anybody, Kenny, like you knew him well, Like I don't think he was an asshole behind closed doors. I think he was just himself out there and he was able to obviously be a giant star.
Speaker 7: But the worst thing he said was I am not then pressed by your.
Speaker 12: And he got dragged and he never left him. He opened his mouth one time. He's like, all right, I got this singer right, it's work. This is the big one. Yeah, and it's just been a.
Speaker 3: Meme for a decade.
Speaker 7: Gareth A.
Speaker 5: Davis, legendary boxing and mixed martial arts journalists once asked John Jones RJ. Are you a bad guy trying to be good or a good guy trying to be bad? So when I if somebody probed me that way, I would say I'm a good guy, you know, like I don't necessarily think I'm a bad guy, but yeah, I mean sometimes I give it to nice guys, you know, like Malapian, Like I've been doing this in Canada, I'm dreaming about doing this in Canada. My whole life and the whole nation rises, you know, come be to a high level American let's go all right, Yeah enough on that. So any other highlights for you? I mean, Charles Jordaan has realized a lot of success in the bandamweight division. Kenny put a band on Mandel Naalo, so he lost a thousand dollars. There any other major highlights. Dennis Pazuki obviously got flatlined by Marcio Oposa.
Speaker 7: Anything, uh jump off the film for you, kid?
Speaker 10: Well, those two really Ji Herbert and Charles Jordan, those performances I think stuck out. I mean Charles Jordan, I kind of got the vibe he was underestimating Kyler Phillips going in. I mean he seemed he seemed pretty tuckered out in that third round. I don't know if you like underestimate him in it and it should have been training or to you know, got a little maybe a little too confident. But Heidiandral who was the reporter afterwards, asked him like, did you underestimate Kyler Phillips? And he said, I didn't underestimate him, I just overestimated myself. Now I'm just a product of the California public education system, Kenny, But.
Speaker 3: Where I went to school to start to hear anything.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Like that's the same thing if you underest over it, like it's the end result. So I mean smart smart fighters learned from losses and super smart fighters learned from wins. And I think Jordan could learn to learn a lot from this one. And then yeah, that Ji Herbert just like head off centerline, right hand, just be I've rewatched that a hundred times. Gonnake a little video of that when I'm done with you guys. That was just a thing of beauty. Like he went from like he was what was he known for? Right almost knocking out Illiott Taporia? He was that guy, and now he can really hang his hat on just a just counter right hand.
Speaker 3: I mean that was Kenny.
Speaker 10: I almost don't feel bad losing a bet with a knockout, Like yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, Johy, listen, he earned that. He earned every single bit of that. But I thought Mandel got overly aggressive. He did not disguise his intent on what he wanted to do. You saw his hand kind of cocked back from like a mile away, and he was very very upright.
Speaker 7: Herbert saw it.
Speaker 6: Coming in the exchange. I guess at the right time of the wrong time, depending on who you are. And yeah, I mean Heber Herbert made the best best out of that man that was That was an amazing comeback because it looked like Nalo was just going to dominate and finish him round one, and man.
Speaker 7: The sport always surprises us. It's amazing at R J. Clifford Mma.
Speaker 5: If you want to see his telestration later today on film on social media, you're gonna break down Ji Herbert and Mandal Nalo before I let you go, and we are gonna let you say hi to Ray Long go today, of course. But Aljame and Sterling fights Yusuf Zialal this weekend and mav star ivloyev Is ubiqulitously regarded as the number one contender Aaron Pico making a little bit of a move. What do you make of the main event this weekend and how it might impact things Diraditionally, if one of these two guys get a.
Speaker 10: Finish, I think Yusuf Salal's got a lot of momentum and I think he's, you know, a big personality and a lot of fun. I think he's something that the UFC can get behind al Jaman Sterling obviously former champion and a chance to be, you know, a two division champion and.
Speaker 3: Reach that high status.
Speaker 10: I think I think it's murky, not murky uptop. It's a Loye for sure, but then it gets kind of murky after that. I'm wondering, like what they make of Laron Murphy. They obviously obviously he lost to Ivloyev and so he's back of that pack, but they they really love having British champions and people from the UK in good spots. I think he makes sense still in the in the conversation and there's one forty five like it's just a really nice I didn't even realize this until he started matchmaking.
Speaker 3: I forgot Kevin Blahos.
Speaker 10: But it's just like, dude, there's veterans that are still very viable.
Speaker 3: There's guys that have lost.
Speaker 10: That can easily turn things around. There's the blay Hooses of the world that are just ready to go. Aaron Pico's entered the chat, like you mentioned, like, there's a lot that could go on, So long story short to answer your question, like, yeah, I think so, but I mean it's just one more awesome spinning back elbow not got away from anyone in the top ten before, and then they can be in that conversation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's well, put bro I fucking printed the featherweight rankings today. Do you know how many times I've done that in five hundred and ninety two episodes of the show, printed one division's rankings?
Speaker 7: Very few?
Speaker 5: Right, mab Sorry if Looiev is one, Diego Lopez two, Laron Murphy, three, I Rodriguez four al Joe in. The main event this weekend is five jaw Lord Silva six, Yusef's Alas seven, Arnold Allen eight Steve Garcia fight on the White House card is number nine Kevin Basch Ekos to round out the top ten, and that doesn't even get to the Picos and milk is Iel Costas of the world. Loaded it at one. I mean one fifty five has such a place in my heart that one forty five. Well, we'll never supersede it, but that looks outstanding, and so do you. Let's see if we can effort ray Longo right now, having some technical difficulties as we go four wide here bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 7: How you doing, Raymond?
Speaker 2: What's up? What are we What are we talking about?
Speaker 7: That is a big black coffee?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I need it this morning.
Speaker 7: Wow. Well, I just wanted you to say hi to r J Clifford. Who Yeah, r J.
Speaker 2: You crushing it, buddy?
Speaker 3: Oh stop but keep going? Yes, that's up right? How you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah, r J Clifford. We appreciate your contributions as always. Who wanted to give you a chance to say hi to the senior member of our our talent team since since.
Speaker 2: I don't like the word senior anymore, can we get that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Can we come up with another business term? Forday, aeriatric?
Speaker 10: You like that one?
Speaker 2: Jerry? Yeah, Jerry, geriatric is even better than that.
Speaker 7: Tremendous content though at r J Clifford.
Speaker 5: Mm my man, appreciate the court of an hour and uh we'll talk to you real soon as in next Monday.
Speaker 3: Happy for twenty boys, take itzy buddy, Thank you buddy.
Speaker 5: I actually don't think R. J. Clifford is among those who celebrates. Perhaps he does. On four to twenty Raymond Peter long Ago. How goes your Monday?
Speaker 2: So far?
Speaker 7: It's twelve thirty three pm e Stern Standard times.
Speaker 2: So far, so good? All right, So good. So trying to stay healthy for the fight this week. Everybody's sick in the gym. It sucks.
Speaker 7: So are you flying to Vegas? What's going on in you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: When are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I'm leaving Thursday? Thursday?
Speaker 7: Okay, I am undecided at this point.
Speaker 2: Kenny. You look outstanding. Now let me tell you something. I'm calling you on the side. I'm doing it. I did any time because you did like I just saw like it's just yeah, that looks great, man, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna call him after the show and you'll see if he takes that call. So you guys can talk about hair.
Speaker 2: I don't know about right after that. Yeah, I'm curious because I got to fill in some spots. Man, I could have a full headache. Yeah, I don't know if I'm going that far. I'm sure I'm gonna blow the money and do it here.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll make a contribution. I'll make a contribution.
Speaker 5: I'll I'll contribute five hundred dollars towards your hair transplant.
Speaker 7: I take all right, I'll give it to you in cash.
Speaker 2: Wow, Bam, what my Zell number?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I know it's almost been a little slow rolling here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: But that's all loose stuff to me. But a lot of zel, a lot of Zellin and Paypally going on. It's a new world out.
Speaker 7: There then most then mos.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just want you to be a man of action, you know, an attack dog instead of a lap dog. Right, So I'm making a contribution to try to expedite the process so that you will get a Yeah, so that you'll actually get a hair transplant.
Speaker 2: You know, the towel, but get your dog off the phone.
Speaker 5: And a comploring podcast presented by All the Smoke Fight and presented in part by Throne Sport Coffee for busy mornings, work out your everyday routine and everything in between. You need coffee that works as hard as you do. So to that end, I have been absolutely loving my Throne Sport Coffee. If I don't get to Long Goo's Mma in Garden City, New York, soon, it's all gonna be gone.
Speaker 7: It's all gonna be gone.
Speaker 2: If I had a Throne, I'd be a little more awake. Right now. This is I feel like this is an uneven playing ground at this.
Speaker 5: It is well because this is functional better for you coffee made for active on the go lifestyles like yours. Every can one hundred and fifty millions of natural caffeine, natural sweeteners, one hundred percent of your daily b vitamins. The lattes also packed ten grams of protein, cold bruise, low sugar, and dairy free. Lot of dairy free options out there for you folks. Thrown Sport Coffee is NSF certified for Sport Big Credibility for athletes of course UFC fighters there anyone mindful about ingredients like you can flow types out there. You can find thrown Sport Coffee and retailer's nation wide, including Casey's, Quick Trip and Whole Foods. Are online on Amazon, Walmart, and their website directly Sportcoffee dot com. Thrown Sport Coffee, Get Going, Keep Going. And I'm sure they loved Raymond's cell phone beeping in the middle of the fucking spot.
Speaker 2: Huh shit, Hey you got you got? He is like a fucking rot wild At.
Speaker 5: This point, Kenny laughs because he heard it too. I would imagine Nate Bronson and Cody heard it as well, you know.
Speaker 2: But Kenny might have heard it, but it's not gonna upset him. That's the difference. That's the difference Kenny's laughing and your pouting. You know why you'll be because you're jacked up on the thrown sport.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm a producer too, right, like Kenny doesn't necessarily get producer credits for the show. So I mean, cod if Cody tell you somebody you know, you turn your fucking self. It's episode five hundred and ninety two.
Speaker 2: Hold, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 5: We're gonna tight ship here. Ray, it's episode five hundred and ninety Okay, so maybe for episode five ninety three next week.
Speaker 2: I like that. Yeah, yeah, And remember i'm the senior members, so you might have to remind me again.
Speaker 7: Yes, And and I'm a man of my word too.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna come to your gym when you get a studio, and I'm gonna give you five hundred bucks as soon as you are ready for a transplant.
Speaker 7: Okay, but let's talk about Look, I'm glad this is so funny to you.
Speaker 2: This isn't funny to you.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 5: I just get sensitive when you use a verb like pout to describe my behavior.
Speaker 2: Because he didn't get anything.
Speaker 7: Well, no, I mean it's like, hey, you know maybe.
Speaker 2: I used that ten minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Maybe the CEO of Throwing Sport Coffee, my good friend FIDELI will text me later be like, hey, dude, can you have Ray turn his phone off in the middle.
Speaker 7: Of our spot?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay, give me a call.
Speaker 13: We are sending a lot of coffee your way. Actually, anyway, if it matters to you. I got so far two things. Jackie Ship got like that, Oh my god, that.
Speaker 7: Natural black coffee.
Speaker 2: He's still going Kenny Natural coffee. Still, he's still rubbing it.
Speaker 5: In your featherweight main event this weekend, number seven ranked contender Yusef's a law the minus one sixty six betting favorite. The comeback on the former bantamway champion Aljamin Sterling is plus one forty. You will be there. What can you tell us about this fight and your expectations for it?
Speaker 2: I think God, listen, al Joe. He sent me his sparring. He sounds great. I think he's in a great spot and the kid is super talented. Great fight, IQ, he's winning that fight. Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, are you surprised that he's the underdog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm real off here, I'm really surprised he's the underdog. You know, lost, So that was good. I always when I see him, he's got great energy, really nice guy. He's a great guy. Aljoe's got experience. You know, he's not really you know, his body's still intact. He's not really injured like some of the other guys were at this stage of the game. He's he's he's good to go, man, and uh like again, super smart, uh and I just think he's kind of better everywhere. You know, I think he's allows explosive and sometimes he's got to be careful with like some of the knees up the middle and some of the crazy stuff. But you know, skill for skill, I think al Joe matches up really, really well.
Speaker 6: Do you think do you think it's accurate to say that the Law's grappling is underrated and al joe striking is underrated?
Speaker 2: Ooh uh, that might be fair. I think that's fair. That's to say because al jo is grappling, his wrestling and jiu jitsu was really good, I.
Speaker 7: Would one of the best division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would think the advantage everybody would have to say is to him, he's he's freaking good and you know he's still active. You saw even with Henderson. He still can wrestle. You know, I'm not saying that was like a super big thing, but he's he's he's still good man. Oh yeah, without a doubt. Yeah, he's still in there. And striking wise, he's just as weird as a lot. I mean that they're both quirky, you know what I mean with this striking, but Aljo has been concentrating more on that. Uh, it'll be interesting see how he plays out in his head with it.
Speaker 7: But he's been focusing more on a striking, he says.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's been doing a lot of striking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ray Long a minute every week here on the Anaki Floran podcast, when Kenny asks a good question, right, you light up like a fucking Christmas you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And when I asked a good.
Speaker 2: Question, they take his ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get yeah, and you just direct the conversation to your man can flow. But I love the closeness no.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 7: No, I'm just messing with you. So I don't want to.
Speaker 5: Necessarily live too much in this UFC fight night, but I did want to get your thoughts if I could. On Mike Mallot with a really big win and obviously the the UFC and m M A career of Gilbert Urino Burn's coming to and En.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a a lot beautiful performance. I like, a really good shot selection. You know, he wasn't loading up on his punches. He was getting them there. And then when he got him in trouble, killer instinct came out. He just barraged him and finished a fight like he should do. But yeah, he didn't overdo it. At the beginning. You could see he was placing that uppercut really really well, timing that well and probably hitting at like fifty sixty percent. But then when it came time to go, he did. And I think it's a great win for him. And you know, Gilbert's a great guy. I think he's loved by everybody, had a great career, and anybody beats Tom's at they owe it to Gilbert for the first guy to make him look human, you know what I mean. So I think he's you know, he's fought the best of the best, and they all knew they were in a fight when they were fighting them. So hats off to Gilbert, hats off to Henry doing a great job with him, and he had a great career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Henry Hoof certainly a name that deserves to be echoed today and tremendous career from Darena. We will have him on the show, just want to give him some time to sort of decompress a little bit. So everything I hear with Mike Mallott today from all these analysts, right, rain shifting and shot selection and plus athlete killer instinct, he really has a lot of tools. And yeah, you know, sometimes the way things fall, if you sort of just let things marinate for a little bit, then the right fight can materialize, you know, even without a call out, right, or you can be on the other end of things. We'll get to Norma Dumont later. Right, you don't lose a fight for four years and Amanda Noonz comes back and there's really nothing you can do about it, you know. But Ray, what do you I mean, do you think Mike Bilot can be a UFC welterweight champion?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think I don't know about that. Definitely got the tools, but we'll have to see on that one. I think that's a little bit of a stretch, but he's definitely he's definitely can compete for them the title for sure, you know, can he win the title? That's uh. I don't know what he does with Islam, you know, I don't know if his wrestling holds up and some of the other stuff. But we'll see. He's in a good spot either way. He's having a great career that she should be happy as hell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 5: I'm just curious what their internal intentions are, right, I mean, are all these guys like if Michael Morales doesn't have his number called and Ima Shadeogary does, does Morales?
Speaker 2: Wait? Right?
Speaker 5: It seems like Ousman is sort of laying back in the cut and waiting the former champs Muhammad and Della Maddelena both fighting and trying to defend their spots actively. Yeah, I think maybe just let the chips fall a little bit over the next few weeks. Let June sixth, Balal and bon Fime finish, and maybe his opponent comes out of that.
Speaker 2: So I would think Balal against Mike Malatt would be a great test for him to see where he's at. Yeah, that would be great. That would be a great fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah all right, yeah, yeah, yeah, let's go for one and welcome in Jaysonanic at Boston and into the conversation, Jay, Good afternoon, Good morning.
Speaker 7: How are we doing.
Speaker 5: I'm good, you know, I know I come in a little hot sometimes, But I just want to say, in terms of Mike and Mike Malott, and it's interesting that you inject the name Balah Mohammed into the conversation because in that UFC basketball game back in the day, the one where Jamal Hill tore his achilles, I met Mike Mallott that day and he had just entered the UFC and I was sort of messing with him. I was like, go feel my boy, Balal. If you think you want to compete in well to wait the way, go feel the strength on my.
Speaker 7: Guy, Blal.
Speaker 5: But what I'll say about Mike Mallott sort of echo what r J said earlier. It's the improvement. And to me, John, you say married to the game, I think he is married to the game. At this point he was a coach for a while, not trying to compete. He looked more powerful, more intentional, so I think, and there's my phone, of course, but so I just think that's fascinating for me lot because I think he's made and in terms of what he did or didn't do on the microphone. I don't think there's an obvious name, and that kind of is what it is in terms of the call out, but in terms of the mixed martial arts athlete, he was not ranked John prior to this fight. He'll take Gilbert Burns eleven perhaps or be twelve thirteen. But I think a ranked guy and pumping the brakes a little bit makes sense. But I think he's got a shot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, that's well put. There are a lot of intriguing fights for him.
Speaker 5: I guess sometimes I get ahead of myself and impatient and sort of think, well, you know, he's thirty three years of age, and you know, might take him two years now to build against the you know, maybe it's two wins in two years to then wait for a title shot.
Speaker 7: Who knows, you know, Yeah, very long goes back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I turned my phone off so.
Speaker 5: I didn't wear a hat because all you guys are talking about hair. I was like, all right, I never go to talk about hair. He wants to go to Turkey, you know, I mean this all natural. Baby John could have the same thing. So y'all look great. I could you know I'm watching on my phone earlier. I think Kenny's wearing a sports jacket. I'm like, what are you the broadcast booth. I'm like, what's the guy wearing? I love it now that I see it, and it helps. I'm thinking it's lying on a rad I wear.
Speaker 2: Jason, did you have thrown coffee this morning?
Speaker 5: I love my twin brother and this is a unique and I love flowing you and I get an opportunity to start. It's like I can't bite my tongue enough. And I watched the show for an hour. You can believe I got all sorts of things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not propane.
Speaker 5: And as much as i'd love to on four to twenty, I didn't smoke nothing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when your day is done and you want to ride on.
Speaker 5: So I have a quote from Ilio to Portia that I would like to read to you guys. And Jay put this on my radar and we got some George Saint Pierre's stuff coming up here shortly. But iliot Topia would appear to be a mental giant, right, I mean, I would think any life experience would be something that would forge him. And here's the quote that I just wanted to read. And we'll start with Ray and then Kenny on down the line. The challenge is going to come during fifteen minutes that I am in that octagon, But outside of that, it's just a normal day. So don't let yourself travel into the future and wear yourself down mentally. And I'm not saying all fighters fall in one bucket of this ray, but there are a lot of high level athletes and UFC fighters and MMA fighters that can't turn this mental page and it affects their energy system leading up to the fighting potentially on fight night and until Potio really seems to have done a lot of work mentally to make sure it doesn't impact him in that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking spot on, I mean, if he could, you know, you know, the more I've been in this game, and you know, it's almost like what was Bruce is saying when he first got in to martial arts, A punch was just a punch, Then it wasn't a punch at the end, it's just a punch. I mean, it's the same thing that it's all mental. The mental aspect this game is the whole game, you know what I mean. Mental mental toughness is usual. You guys just don't have the discipline of other guys, and you know, whether that's how you're brought up. You know, look at Morob humble beginnings. He's you know, he's in the service over there, Russia's bombing them. He's got to live with that, He's got to live with all sorts of shitty things. And I think it just hardens in. It makes you a just a mentally tougher person. You can't, you know, compare that to a guy that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I mean, it's not that it's not doable, but I think the guys that come from humble beginnings just have a different way of looking at it. And that's what I love about talking to people from all over the world is that, you know, even like a Zarukia and they got they have a different way of or to be. They were just there's like a like a brutal like honesty about things that's just refreshing to hear. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think again, mentally, if you can compartmentalize everything and just state of course you've got you got seventy percent of the game beat already, man. You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the best way to deal with tough things is by doing tough things. I also think it's especially difficult when you're talking about these high profile fights.
Speaker 7: You know, it's one thing to go in there and fight on our prelimb.
Speaker 6: It's quite a different thing to go out there and fight in championship fight after championship fight. And then I would layer that even more by saying, you know, the guys like the Connor McGregor's or the Eliotoporias who take it up a notch by even talking trash and making fun of their opponents, and then after it's said and done, they're able to kind of put that away, shelf that and then just deal with the fight itself and stay present during that fight, you know, as opposed to thinking about that all the time. And that is mentally draining, spiritually draining, physically draining.
Speaker 7: For a lot of guys, especially.
Speaker 6: You know, then you got to talk to media, and media are asking the same damn question over and over and over again, and you're trying to get rid of that stuff and it can get back in you.
Speaker 7: So you know, I'd be lying if I said I got it all figured out during my career.
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 7: It was very difficult.
Speaker 6: You know, because certain fights were different than others with different stakes, So the ability to put that out of your head is huge. And clearly Iliotoporia has some kind of recipe that's working for him because we see it in his performances. Almost the more difficult the match up, the better he performs.
Speaker 2: Yes, one thing you know. You know back in the day, even with Sarah, he would refuse to do like interviews. I don't think you have that option today. You know, they're forcing people. Can the cameras come, Can they follow you around? It's it's a big burden when you're trying to concentrate on the fight and what you have to do. When you're in there, you have the media obligations. Could take a person down. Yes, and again we go back to that was the That was the beauty of that kid. Hoke it that he could do that stick and then get in there and fight like that. I'm saying, that's a really special talent. And the the more I think about it, Kay, the more I laugh about it. I think the guy's actually outstanding. I don't know, he's to pull it off so he can compartmentalize. A lot of guys can't do that. It's just impossible for him to do it, so he's got a special talent. But that's the mental side of this game is huge, and I think Kenny's you got to do hard things to become hard. Something as simple as you know that. What was that? The guy that just make your bed every morning to build discipline?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 7: Jordan Peterson, Yes, it's you know what.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 7: If you make your bet, you got so far.
Speaker 5: Let me just get in here real quick. The compartment mentalization is a good thing. But Kenny has put Toporia on a pedestal with good reason. And I stand there with Kenny with that, and I want to be along for this ride watching this brilliant icon like this applies to life. It's not just about fighting this mentality. And we go back to the Volkanovsky fight. He beat him exactly how we wanted to, precisely when. And that does come from the mental component too. I understand fighters have different things they need to lean into. Corey Sandagan needs to be fired up before the fight. I was privileged to be with the Notatamakano in his kitchen about a month before Ben La Sontoni fight, and he couldn't something belt Santani perseverating over him all day didn't hurt him in his performance. So everyone's different. But Ilio Toporia continues to blow my mind and ultimately, gosh, he's going to be prepared for whatever is coming his way at the White House against Gae Chee. And finally, I'll say, Tom Brady said, I was good at twenty five, I was great at thirty five, and at forty five, I was a master of the sport. And that's because of the mental. And so if Ilia has become a master of the mental given the physical stuff, good lunch.
Speaker 2: Out heah, yeah, one hundred percent. And that's why I tell you, you know, that's why I do like the wrestlers, because like to become like a national champ, you're going through it first. There's no way you got there just by feeling good every day. You know you're gonna have bad ankles, bad knees. You have to growing through it, and that's part of the process. And you know, it's a good way for these guys to really develop mentally if you could get to that level. You know, like boxing is a little different because you take too many shots, so you got to really be careful with you know how you you know progress with that, but sometimes these other guys from just other countries, they just have a different way You're looking at it, and I love it. I think it's refreshing and you could see the difference when you talk to them right away.
Speaker 5: I was thirty one, thirty two years old when I called my first UFC fight with Kenny Florian in Nashville, Tennessee, January twenty ath twenty twelve. Right, and certainly there have been times over the years where I battled nerves. There are certain broadcasting environments or situations or asks on a given night, whether it's memorization or a given stand up, whatever it is, that can maybe occupy some space mentally. But certainly, when I am in that booth at forty seven, I am exponential more comfortable.
Speaker 7: Like I was more nervous yesterday.
Speaker 5: I went to Game one of the Celtics Sixers series as Celtics head coach Joe Mazzula's guest, sitting like right next to the bench. I was more nervous for that than probably anything I broadcast in career. So yeah, maybe I gotta work on that, all right.
Speaker 7: I don't feel bad for you, John, No, thanks.
Speaker 5: This head coach is just an incredible human being, and he's just obsessive about craft and preparation. And even last night after the Celtics win, he's texting me. It's like random question, asking me about my prep and how many hours it takes me to prep for a numbered event and what.
Speaker 7: The process is like.
Speaker 5: And yeah, he he likes jiu jitsu more than basketball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he loves fighting. So he's a man.
Speaker 4: Ray.
Speaker 5: So before we let you go, So, George Saint Pierre is somebody who was always preach sprinting over running, and he's certainly not the only one. I remember there would be times and Kenny Florian out of training camp just to like reset, would go to the streets of Dover, Massachusetts and just run a six a mile to just punish his nervous system. But I took my daughter Tatum to do some sprints. We're in a very hilly area here in Glenville, Connecticut, right, and she puked right. So we did five sprints up the hill and she pewed right because she maybe thinks she's in good shape and she's not. So we have some video from George Saint Pierre. Oh, I thought it was video of Tatum. Sorry, no, we don't have video of Tatum throwing up on the curb, but I want to play this because Ray Longo has long drawn praise for coaching cardio and getting guys in great shape. So this is the Great George, the great George Saint Pierre.
Speaker 14: I believe in cardio if you're a combat athlete, and this I got an argument with for us all the time, I believe in efficiency, and people will ask me why do you run?
Speaker 5: Then ice print because of the benefit it gives me.
Speaker 14: I don't believe sprinting will increase my cardio. I just believe that doing something as hard as I can for a small amount of time and taking a break and then repeating it again and again, I think it adds huge benefits for me, especially as you get older. And I've been sprinting for a long time and I love the benefits it gives me. In like, I don't do it for cardio purpose because I believe in fighting. It's all about efficiency. Even though you're in better shape than me. But if I'm more efficient than you, you'll get tired before I do. And it's like that in every sport, hockey, basketball, I don't care. I believe if you're an athlete, efficiency is number one goal. You focus on skill and technique and efficiency.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, really. Look well, so here's the whole key to what we just heard is that he will believes it. That's all that matters. He believes it, and it makes him feel good, and that's all that that literally is all that matters. There. Listen. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with sprints, but I'll give you an example. If I have a guy sprinting right, he feels great, and then somebody else tells me, you know, sprint, it's gonna ruin you. You know what I mean, Like, you gotta right jump. The guy's done, he's done with the spring. This is the fucking problem. But George believes it. He says, he even argues with run. It puts him in a good spot. That's all that fucking matters. Just fucking move because honestly, you gotta look at Morob. Morob, besides doing everything, he gets his endurance from doing what he does. He wrestles every day, He fights every day. He's got cardio for days because where it's fighting to other guys, it's just a normal day for him and that's and that's another thing, you know, I mean, I bet you, I bet you it. There has been ten guys that Morob's fort that had a better VO two max than him, I bet you, you know, and scientific, why wouldn't you? No, you're not threatened, you know what I mean by mentally?
Speaker 7: They didn't have a better video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Penny, But that's the that's the point of the store, right right. These motherfuckers leave all of that ship out, you know what I mean? Like, Yeah, there's a lot that's going on in there, man mentally, Like you said, Jit is under the lights, this and that. Now, if you really want to do those tests, do it while the guys fight. And I think they tried that with Morob. Where's his heartbeat at? Where's you know, where's is whatever? But you know what I'm saying, like, that's what you have to do. You put a guy in the Treadmilding's in the air condition fucking room running. They're good for you, that's good. Yeah, in the face ten times and get back on the tread. Will see how you do. That's the decis.
Speaker 7: I'll say the sport is more anaerobic than it is aerobic.
Speaker 6: Okay, Now that's not to say I would go out and run ten miles you know, at the time a camp, because you know, I just wanted to do it for me as kind of like a mental test.
Speaker 7: I don't know where I was at. And again it goes back to that like comfort level with how you're training.
Speaker 6: But also I would I would say that it also caters to George and his skills as well. I think we'd all agree that he was pretty damn explosive over the course of his career. His double leg was unstoppable. Even if you were a high level D one wrestler, he was gonna take you down. It was just a matter of time. He was so quick with his jab, he was so those are things that brought out a lot of the natural instincts and strengths of George Pierre as a fighter. So of course it's like, hey, I'm fast. I like doing fast things, no shit. So you know, so that certainly catered to his style and and to him as an athlete. So but I do think there's value across the board for that, because a lot of the sport is kind of being able to be explosive and then recover quickly, be explosive again, recover quickly.
Speaker 7: But then you have the Dias brothers on the other side of the equation who.
Speaker 6: Are doing more long sustained cardio right where you're kind of staying at a certain heart rate for long periods of time.
Speaker 7: And I don't think anyone will question their cardio right. So it's all different.
Speaker 6: Like Ray said, it's what's going to help you mentally as a fighter and also what caters to you as a fighter. But George is also correct. Efficiency is king in martial arts. In anything you do. Your ability to hold onto your energy, preserve your energy, sustain your energy is absolutely critical to the game.
Speaker 2: And George is a guy you know, gymnastics, whatever it was, balance, the physio ball, he hit it all and he's the guy's of martial artists. He enjoys it, that's the problem. He really, I believe, loves it. You can see his passions when he's talking about it. And that's John, I will guarantee you. That's more what Kenny said, like given him run in ten if it makes him feel good, you know, feel good, do good man. I mean, that's that's it. It's that simple. Some guys should don't even have to do car. I think if you could spart ten fives in a row, what are you doing cardio? Fore you're doing it, that's your cardio and that that's a big thing, man. The big thing is making a guy believe that he's in a good spot. Either you have to do it or he has to do it, but you have to believe you did everything right. And I could tell you back in the day, if I was off on the training and right it and torture certain people, he go, what what he doing? I don't feel good. I have to be taching. It's just that's the way it is today. And I talked to a lot of coaches. Nobody wants to put the fucking work in anymore. They just don't. It's we're in a TikTok generation. I don't know what the fuck is. We kind of all came up the other night saying it has to be social media. That's the common denominator over the last ten years, that people are more interested in putting a post on and getting the arrest to the fucking hills and running like there's nothing stopping you from building your cardio every fucking day. There's nothing stopping you from that except yourself.
Speaker 5: And I know you're gonna go push the sled right now, probably at the gym, so we will let you get on with it. I hope you have a great day and a better evening and uh save travels to Las Vegas. We wish you all the best Algamain Sterling plus one forty Right now, we'll see where it closes moment.
Speaker 2: Let's fucking go, well, Jed's gonna close as an even fight.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you you're fucking crazy, Get out of your fucking get out of here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ray, you buston fucking fools. Get me the fuck out of this place.
Speaker 7: I believe.
Speaker 5: I mean, this has been like an Aljamain Sterling promotional vehicle since twenty fifteen when he was fighting fucking Johnny Eduardo.
Speaker 7: So Ray Longo needs to check.
Speaker 5: Himself before he uh he wrecked himself. So last year from Mother's Days for Mother's Day, Jay, I gave our mom an upgrade from the traditional flowers and card. As you know, I got her an aura frame. So I can't describe myself as a mama's boy, but I do try to call her every day or every other day or every third day. She started a basketball league in our hometown when we were kids, just so we'd have more places to play organized basketball. As an adult, she's helped me through any number of personal and professional situations. I've gotten to the wallets and the candy, all sorts of stuff. But the gift that keeps on giving, I'm telling you, is this or A frame on Mike Flowers doesn't die after three days on the kitchen counter. Or Frames have free unlimited storage. You can add as many photos and videos as you want. You can even preload photos before shipping it out to your loved ones, and then you can keep adding from anywhere anytime. You can download the free Aura app au Ra or text photos straight to your frame. The r app actually reached number one in the app Store on Christmas Day in twenty twenty five. Mother's Day's approaching, It's time to make Mother's Day special with or Frames name number one by Wirecutter. You can save on the gifts Mom's love by visiting or A frames dot com and for a limited time, listeners can get twenty five dollars off their best selling Carver Matt frame with ode af pod. That's au Ra frames dot Com promo code. Af pod support the Nicamploring podcast by mentioning us a check out. Terms and conditions apply. Well, if I'm Mattie Betts, I'm taking pictures of my tickets and I'm putting them in an Aura frame now joining us home of Fight CEO and for my money. Uh and it doesn't cost me anything to follow him on Instagram. This is as good to follow in the gambling space. Are you clapping?
Speaker 2: Jay?
Speaker 5: I mean you have an applause button on a board to your right. You got your shitty applause, your focus on earlier, you kept my boy Mattie Betts waiting like twelve minutes in the back. I didn't even get to launch on the George saying Pierre thing I brought to the program get to my boy Tanner. Well, I think Matti Betts would blame Ray Longo for the delayed start. Maddie, it's great to see you, brother. So of all the different things that you bring to this MMA space and the gambling space, I would argue the best thing you bring to it is not your looks nor your personality.
Speaker 7: It's your psycho parlay.
Speaker 5: And within the last several weeks you have hit one of these parlays and if you don't know, it's one fighter by knockout, one by submission, and then one by decision and you recently hit one. These are six figure hits off in times over one hundred thousand dollars. So we'd like to hear about that major on the Anaki Florian podcast.
Speaker 8: Yeah, unfortunately, we didn't even hit a single leg this past week, but that's how it goes usually. So usually I hit one and then I go cold for like three months, and then I hit another one.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: But if you hit him at twenty five to one thirty five to one, you can lose. You can lose half a year straight and still be up money. So that's been the success of it. I've hit five of them now in the year. Yeah, five total. The very first one I ever hit was the hamzat chamaiv's submission was the last leg in the main event against Robert Whittaker. That was the birth of the cycle parlay.
Speaker 2: And the.
Speaker 8: Very last one I hit was was was money moi kanas sub was the last leg so was I believe it was three k to win one hundred and seven thousand, wow.
Speaker 7: And on that one it was your boy Moykano coming through for you.
Speaker 8: Came through, but you would not believe the first leg, which fight was it women's MMA fight where the fight got stopped? H did the DQ?
Speaker 2: They didn't?
Speaker 8: They they restarted the fight and it went the distance.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, Yeah, I don't what you're talking.
Speaker 5: Are not and.
Speaker 8: I should know this? Uh yeah? But they stopped the fight in the in the second round and then she won what twenty nine twenty seven on the scorecards because of the point deduction whatever it was. So I thought the parlay was done. On the first leg, I was like, the easiest leg was like plus one ten. I was like, it's over. They restart the fight, the fight ends, get get the decision that I hit the ko leg and then the last leg was Mokana's sub to end it. Uh and no one believed the Moana in that fight. So it was kind of a good spot. It was on the Duncan train, but he came through for us, so right, I felt very good about it after the first round because the job was working. He was tired, Duncan out and I was like, eventually he's going to get his back, and so I felt good about it. So it was nice to cash one on Moiicano.
Speaker 5: And last weekend you hit Barbosa on that What did you hit?
Speaker 8: That was the one good bet I hit. I had a her end this week. I took a haircut on Gilbert. Of course, all the support. I've took a haircut on Gilbert a few times in a row now, But yeah, I hit the two legger was under one and a half in that fight, and then the first leg was the fight before and I can't remember now the submission with Robert Valentine submission at plus two ten.
Speaker 7: So I hit that one.
Speaker 8: But I had a pretty bad car last week, so I'm hoping to bounce back for this one.
Speaker 5: So Gilbert, let's just stay there for a minute. I host another show. I talked about him all morning on that They've touched on him here. I know you've known him for a long time hosting the show Me the Money podcast with Mokano. We could take it any number of ways with Gilbert right, whether it's five straight losses, all his boys with him, the brilliant career, the last five losses, everybody right up at contention or a champion, But he's one of the most special human beings. I've met in this game, and in a game where there are a lot of special people talk to us about your boy a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I.
Speaker 8: Was, you know, going into the fight, I was a little bit nervous, you know. I think I think he fought better than some of his recent fights, right, he made it in the round three. He went out on a shield. And there's so many great things you say about him. I mean literally, I can't name anyone that's had a harder resume in MMA. I mean, the last four or five six fights he's had has been incredible. But you hit the nail on the head, Jason. He's just the greatest human being. Like he runs into people, he's no idea who. They already treats him like he's like his best friend, you know, and everyone says the same exact things. Like I was in the sauna yesterday at Lifetime and some random guy comes up to me in the sauna and said that exact thing to me. He said, I met Gilbert the other day and it was like he knew me for ten years, He's never met me before. He's like, he just treats every person like that. So I think, just what he's done in his career, how he's treated people, how he's inspired people. It's been remarkable to watch, you know. And my favorite fight of all time is the Goer Burns versus Hams out fight. Me too, I was there live AND's still to this day. My favorite fight meeto Josh Hoagan fights up there now that that was pretty pretty insane.
Speaker 5: So, Kenny, your last UFC fight was against Jose out of October twenty eleven for the UFC featherweight title, And I know you fought for the belt more than once, right, But like Gilbert and we talked about this earlier, Maddie, but I just want to get Kenny's thoughts on it. You know, he was so married to the game and so focused on winning a UFC title and so obsessive about the details. And you know, if you beat Mike Malot, right, it's like the window is still open, even if it's one percent. And I just wonder, Kenny, how you sort of deal with the disappointment. I mean, yes, he's retiring, right, and not on the high note like some other fighters have been able to. But I think for Gilbert, you know, it's like you still think you could be the best in the world until you don't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that he was really a thinking man's fighter, and sometimes that can be kryptonite in mixed martial arts because you can overthink things.
Speaker 7: And he talked a little bit about how he would always expect.
Speaker 6: To do a certain thing during a fight and his performance wouldn't really indicate what he thought he would be able to do. And I think that's a good indication that maybe it's time to get out of the game because this game is absolutely brutal. Gilbert's given us so many great fights. He has fought the best in the world, and he knows it's time. Had an unbelievable jiu jitsu career and unbelievable mixed martial arts career. Again, he's achieved what very few people can ever achieve in both.
Speaker 7: Of those sports. So I think he can retire with his head up high.
Speaker 6: And again, props to him for recognizing that, Hey, you know what, it's time, because a lot of fighters don't. They hang out in the game for too long and now physically suffer because of it. Well, I think he's getting out at the right time.
Speaker 5: Maddi bets Jason Anak with us live on the Anaki flooring podcast powered by all the smoke fights. So, Maddie, your flagship show for home of fight to show Me the Money podcast. Gilbert Burns is now retiring, and I'd imagine he'll be omnipresent on the show even more so now. But when moy Kano's fighting Duncan, right, like, you need a win for your show?
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, like I.
Speaker 5: Mean, and certainly a lot of people well, no, a lot of people were planting their flag on Chris Duncan. And no, I mean, like we we went Ray Longo, right, there have been times with Ray Longo where it's like, man, it'd be really good if one of Longo's guys could emerge, and then Morob fucking becomes the greatest band of Weight of all time, and it's great for our show, right, Like, so, but that win for your show and capping that, but like that was big for your podcast and your brand, was it not?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: One hundred percent? People were even texting me they were like, what happens in Moykana knocks out Chris Duncan. I was like, bro, I'm gonna be happy for him. I'm gonna be happy for for him, happy for the show, right right, so I'm not gonna win one hundred and seven thousand dollars. I was not gonna be happy for the guy, you know. So people don't believe that, but you want to believe the comments that I get. I mean, I get these trolls on social media that said that I'm making money betting against Gilbert every fight the past, the past five fights. They're like, I bet on Michael out by Ko. I was like, I go to Gilbert's fights. I didn't go to this one, but I was like, I went to his apex card. I was like, I've lost tens of thousands of dollars. I bet Conna when his fucking shoulder was popped out and I was the only one to know about it. I still bet on him against BSD. So like, I'm always gonna bet on my guys, I'm not gonna fade them. I'm not gonna, you know, bet the other side. That's just ridiculous to me.
Speaker 5: That's loyalty, right, But the loyalty is not going to have you fly from South Florida to fucking Winnipeg. MANITOA all right, let's get a few picks if we could. By the way, do you do a cycle parlay for every single card.
Speaker 8: Every card, sometimes two per card, usually one. The problem is that you can't do them this early in the week just because the prop markets aren't really out yet. Maybe in some off shores you get a couple of numbers like on like the bed On Lines of the World, but uh, you know you're not going to see them on like dk FanDuel hard Rock, any of the the US books usually to Wednesday or Thursday. I can try to still give you like what I'm leaning towards, but.
Speaker 5: Well wait, we'll direct people to your channel. But are these all three thousand dollars bets or does the the wager change the amount?
Speaker 7: Say it again, are they all three thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Yeah.
Speaker 8: So if it's like if it's a huge long shot, like like for example, I hit a one for two K to win one hundred and seventeen. That was like fifty something to one. But if it's like a fifteen to one, I got to raise the bet. My goal is always to hit six figures, right, So if it's like a fIF if it's like a twenty to one cycle, I gotta put five plus k on it. So I'm always betting to win over one hundred thousand. That's just how I've always done it, so and then cycle partly might range from like fifteen to one all the way up to one hundred to one was this past week, which is probably why every leg missed, But it was ninety nine to one on on Gilbert's Car.
Speaker 7: Man, Maddie, go ahead, Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask about something totally different, So if you have something related, Joe.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have my calculator on my phone out because I'm trying to figure out what the annual commitment would be if I wanted to ride. They No, I don't necessarily have one hundred thousand dollars for this initiative right now. But John three grand was a good average, right, three grand? You know you're doing about You got hit one out every twenty five or thirty.
Speaker 7: It's not bad.
Speaker 5: You go go along for the ride and starting to hit him more often.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna ride this weekend.
Speaker 8: The hard part is when people start tailing after a win and they've never tailed before, and then they lose two and a half months straight and then they hate me. My brother, there's nothing I can do.
Speaker 5: Hey, a smaller bankroll pay attention to individual legs. I love tailing individual sure.
Speaker 8: I mean, Jason, how many weeks have I gone two and one on the cycle exactly? Oh my god, it's it's devastating.
Speaker 6: It's called the psycho parlay for a reason, Maddie. I don't know how deep you went down the card, Jenny, No.
Speaker 9: Cycle, so many, so.
Speaker 8: Many people think it's the psycho parlay.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 2: The cycle is the reference to.
Speaker 8: Baseball where you hit like a batter, had some singles, double triple home run, and you go around the bases. So that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I made it.
Speaker 6: I was like, yeah, that makes sense. It's this guy's a man, truthful, you can call it. I don't know how deep you went down the card, Maddie. But did you see the JJ Aldrich fight versus Jamie Lynnhart. Were you disappointed with that with that decision, because again a lot of people were freaking out about it, and you know, my buddy's over a three punch convo. They ended up sending robbery insurance. They actually paid out the whole night. They thought the decision was so bad. It was the first time they've been able to do that, which I thought was cool. But what I didn't think it was so bad of a decision.
Speaker 7: But what do you think on that?
Speaker 8: So I mixed emotions on it because so I had Jamie Lyndhorth by decision. I had a women's cycle parlay which didn't hit anyways, but I had Jamie Lynnhorth by decision as the first leg. And I'm watching this fight and I'm like, okay, j j Auders landing for four to six significant strikes in round one, So I was like, she come out of won round one, right, right. So then I watched I watched the live odds drought every fight. I go in the round two, I'm like, round two is kind of close. I was like, could be one one, it's probably two Jamie. Then round three was close too. But I'm watching these live odds and jamielyn Horth is minus ten thousand at the end of round three on hard rocks. I'm watching because I'm in Florida, so I'm watching whatever book is right here with me. I'm on all these different apps, prediction markets everywhere, and I'm watching the live odds, and but the width is so bad. It's like plus two thousand for Audred's minus ten thousand for Jamie. But I'm sitting there with my boys and I'm like, I'm like, Jamie clearly won that fight in my opinion, but I was like, we've seen crazy as shit. I swear to god, I almost met the J J Orders side at plus two thousand, and I didn't do it. Oh but then when the fight, when the fight played, when the decisions came out, I was so upset because I was like, it could have been an argument three or you know, or at least two harm for Jamie. I was, you know, but again, that's just what we've dealt with. I think there's been worse ones. I think everyone so I think it was kind of an overreaction, but I do think she won the fight clearly. So I don't know what you what your guys' opinion is.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go back and watch it now.
Speaker 5: That is interesting that Three Punch Convo paid out that robbery insurance and yet Ken Flow doesn't necessarily think it qualifies as a as a robbery, which means that I'm gonna it was close.
Speaker 7: Well, go watch it back. Yeah, I saw it exactly how Maddie saw it.
Speaker 6: I thought round two was close, like I would have liked to see horse throw a little bit more to kind of put a little bit more emphasis on the on that round for her.
Speaker 7: But and then round three, I thought J J. Aldridge one.
Speaker 6: So it came down to maybe round two for me. But it was clear for horth Uh in round one, so yeah, crazy, all right?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 6: I think it was like over ninety percent of verdict had it for for Horth but oh wow, it was fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was I the only other thing I had in my notes Vicente Luke at the airport with all those people to greet Gilbert Burns right when he came home from his retirement fight. Find that video on social media if you haven't seen it already. All right, I want to get a couple of picks from you guys. I fights for UFC Fight Night, Sterling versus Zalal this weekend. Ray Longo absolutely bullish on al jaminer Sterling's chances. Maddie, he is the plus one forty underdog seventh rank contender, use of Zalal is the favorite who is minus won sixty six. Little background for you, so Sterling two and one since moving up to featherweight. The Brian Ortega win actually was contested at a catchweight of one hundred and fifty three pounds and Yusuf Zalal's story well documented outside the UFC. He was cut comes back after a year and a half since returning in twenty twenty four, just on fire five straight UFC wins, eight straight wins overall. Maddie, will this factor into your gambling this weekend? And do you have a strong conviction on the man events?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I mean so I was listening to to way longer at the end when I when I jumped on here. I definitely don't think Ali is gonna come back down to a pick him. But he was minus one fifty and he's he's up to plus one forty right now, So so now's the time to take him if you like Aljamin Sterling, because it could to be fair by Saturday, it could dip down back a little bit. I don't know that I will. I think we'll probably see it close around plus one forty range, But it just depends, like what angle you like on this fight? Do you like the striking volume and the experience of al Jo or do you like like the defense has allow he is very good striking defense and then actually is allowed he he he more than two x's is the submission attempts at Algie every fight, which I thought was interesting, you know Aljoe, And obviously it's a smaller sample size, but I actually cashed on is allowed by submission over Josh Emma in his last fight, and it paid nice. I was shocked how how quick and easy he made that look. I mean, it was unbelievable. But it's a I think it's a very close fight. I think that this is a fight that if you want to play a prop on, I would look the Aljamain decision route because he is the higher striking valume he has. You know, he has the five round experience, he has the gas tank. I think in forty five, I think that he could win this fight on the scorecards. I'm guessing you're gonna get close to plus two to fifty range on that decision, prop. So I kind of like that. As far as a straight pick them, I would probably go as allowed. But it's so close it really is. I'm more of a prop better. I don't really I don't love the bet money lines, but I think it's a fifty to fifty fight, so I guess you have to side with Aldro at the current price, and then I do like him on the decision prop for sure.
Speaker 5: Well laid out as usual, Yusuf Zilal has never been finished as an MMA pro. Kenny for a while he was in a lot of close fights, but not anymore. Eighth straight wins, seven of those have been finishes and as much momentum as al Joe has, I think in his own mind sometimes the issue is just you run in to younger, fresher opponent who is just set in the world on fire. Zilal minus one sixty six Aljo plus one forty camp flow your.
Speaker 6: Thoughts, Yeah, I think that it is a very close fight, and Zilal is a guy that has really been shining on a lot of these fight nights and doing extremely well. I think he's facing, without a doubt, the toughest competition of his career. Al Jo has a ton of experience, and he's got a style where positionally al Jo does a great job of nullifying a lot of your offense, and he's an awkward guy to fight on the feet as well. And the fact that Ray's talking about al Jo working on his striking leading up to this fight, I think is a good sign. I don't think that should be the primary way that he approaches this fight against the law. I think he still should lean on his grappling and his position to get that top position and slows the lall down. See if he can take it to the later rounds where maybe he can get a submission on Zola himself. But you know, as Maddie was talking about, you know, always no slouch on the ground either.
Speaker 7: He's very capable.
Speaker 6: He's very dangerous both on the feed and on the ground. But because it's a close fight and because of the odds, I.
Speaker 5: Like Aljo here as well, Jay, both of these guys see some value on the Aljamin Sterling side. I know you need to make a deposit if you're gonna be betting on this this weekend, But rab you know, hard drop fat doesn't allow me a wager on my cellar telling. But I will say Zillala is five to ten, and I think he really is, and al Jo is there is They are going to look different in terms of their size. But I do feel like Aljo sort of playing with house money here. He achieved what he did in the bantamweight division. I think we'd all love to see him potentially make a run at forty five. I think the winner of this fight is gonna make some noise and have a really big fight coming up next. I wouldn't pick against Aljo because I do consider him a friend to some extent, and I like him very much, and I like that plus number by his name, and I just also think, you know, you think about that what we talked about earlier with Tiporia and the mental game. Aljamain Sterling I think is so mentally forged to compete in the UFC at this stage. That is a hard guy to bet against for me. But I think Zillal is a problem, and I tend to go with the younger fighter if forced to choose in these sort of matchups. I want to get some thoughts on the Comaine event quickly, pretty lean fight car. We got Alexander Hernandez and Rotha Garcia fighting in the future belt. We'll talk to Alexander coming up here in about five minutes. But Comine Event Maddie at bantamweight. Shout out to Brian Petrie, Big norm third rank, Norma Dumont minus two oh five, number eleven, Joscelyn Edwards plus one seventy and we talked about this a little bit earlier.
Speaker 7: Right but right place, right time.
Speaker 5: Life is about timing, and for Norma Dumont, the timing of Amanda Neunez's return and Kayla Harrison's next surgery couldn't be worse for her. She's won six in a row. It was gonna be Jana Santos this weekend. Instead it will be the shrieking Panamanian Joscelyn Edwards, who has won her last four Kenny start us off on the comain event. Any strong lean either way?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I like Norma. Uh you know, I think big norm I think she's the better striker overall. I think she's more consistent, and I think, you know, just her comfort level in the octagon now is just way different than we saw, you know, a few years ago. So I like the way she mixes everything up. I think she's more versatile as a striker. I think she's harder to get a read on. Justlyin Edwards has some momentum heading into this one as well. I think she's she's pretty dangerous. But I think also where Norma can win this fight is taking it to the ground. So give me Big norm Maddie.
Speaker 7: I know you prepared the comin event.
Speaker 8: What do you think I'm with Kenny here. I love norm I love her this matchup the defense and wrestling here, I think it'd be the two biggest things. She's a fifty six percent takedown accuracy that's compared to Joscelyn edwards forty percent, and I just think that Norma Dumont's also fought the tougher competition and then the striking defense a fifteen percent difference. Jocelyn throws a little bit more, but Norma dumont sixty five percent striking defense, which is a at bandon weight compared to Jocelyn's fifty percent. I think she's honestly better everywhere. You can say Joscelyn Edwards might have the better finishing up side, but is that more of a recency biased thing just facing the lower level competition. I think she's won three or four fights in a row by stoppage. I love Norma Dumont. She's never been submitted, and I think you pair that with a sixty five percent striking defense, I don't think Joscelyn Edwards has much of a chance of finishing her, and then I think she can get more takedowns and she can be safer defensively, So I think it's a twenty nine to twenty eighth decision easily, and I think the price warrants it. I think she wins seven or eight out of ten times easily this fight. So I'm a good Norman Dumont, one of my better, one of my favorite favorites on the card for sure.
Speaker 5: Well, if she makes it seven in a row, I don't know. If you wait and see what happens. Kayla Harrison has sort of hinted that her fight against Amanda Noonz, whenever it happens, is going to be her last at thirty five. So maybe if you're big norm, you just kind of fucking bide your time and see what happened. All right, So let us get your wagers. It is time for place your bets. You have one thousand dollars to spend. Here we quickly update the results UFC fight Night Burns versus melot Ken. Flow put his band on Nalo, so it takes him from the black end of the the year.
Speaker 8: I feel you're paid on that one. I had the under in that fight, but I also had a Nalo by sub and man I thought I was about a club and sub and then he got countered.
Speaker 5: I was like, yep, all right, so Maddy bets getting recognized and saunas around the world.
Speaker 7: These days we have.
Speaker 5: H what do you have for us for UFC Fight Night story versus alone?
Speaker 8: So this is hard for me to do this early in the week without prop market, But uh, I can just go Can I just go all in for the thousands?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: If I want to be safe here, I'm just going all in on Norma money line. But I kind of want to parlay it with al Joe.
Speaker 5: Why don't you just after your stack? Well, first of all, what book is this DraftKings sports book?
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, I'm on the I thought, so I'm on the DraftKings app Let me see if there's a total in the Algro fight listed, because I can go over the total with Norma. I think that's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 7: Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I didn't see them this morning.
Speaker 5: And again that's the inconvenient truth of oh yeah, I'm on a Monday, is that we ask our handicappers to uh to come with it. Oh, you still get the price, you can use it. We'll get it later in the week is absolutely fine. I think what the listeners will extract is big time conviction on Big Norm.
Speaker 8: Big Norm.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go for the sake of the show. Let me let me go all in one thousand dollars on Doumont money line, all.
Speaker 5: Right, and if you change your mind, the show will tweet that out can thousand dollars to spend. Right, You're wrong from last week, kid, which way you're going.
Speaker 7: I'm a very experienced gambler.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with the Psycho parlay here now, yeah, I'm with Maddie here. I like both of those bets. And I struggled a little bit of how I was going to approach this. Was I going to put a full band on Al Joe. But you know, I'm now I have all this trepidation because that last one with Nallo, it just ruined my confidence as a picker. But I'm gonna go seven fifty on Norma for the win and then put the remaining two fitty on al Jamaine Sterling.
Speaker 8: Let's go.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 5: You guys better hope that l Pan, Teta, Josh and Edwards doesn't become a Panamanian problem this weekend. So, Maddy Bets tremendous job building the home of fight brand, and your own brand is absolutely flying off the shelves.
Speaker 7: Will you be sitting down with Gilbert Burns at some point this week or.
Speaker 8: No, Uh, we'll see. I'm not gonna He's got a lot going on. It's probably not. Probably in their future though all.
Speaker 5: We look forward to that Show Me the Money podcast and uh, we appreciate your contributions in your time. Don't be a stranger. We look forward to cycle parlay at Matty Betts. Don't forget the second s my man, Thank.
Speaker 8: You bro, Thank you guys. Appreciate you having me Maddy.
Speaker 5: That's with us live on the Antiki for in podcasts. Well, it's not just the UFC that you can make money on this week, folks. The NBA Playoffs are here. In DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA boosts every game day the whole postseason, when the lights get brightest, the best players in the world show you acutely who they are. Playoff Stars turn it up round by round, and DraftKings turns it up to with a profit boost available every single game day from the first round all the way to the NBA Finals, and for new sportsbook customers, we always bring you something bet just five dollars and if your bet wins, you get three hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly download the DraftKings sportsbook app and use code af pod so you are ready for the moment. That's code af pod turn five bucks into three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. In partnership with DraftKings, the Crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred mis reset New York call eight seven seven eight hope end wy or text hope en why Connecticut call eight and eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. I'll be have a boothill casino in Kansas. Wager tax pastor may apply in Illinois twenty one plus in most date voted. Ontario restrictions apply. Bet must winter received bonus bets which expired in seven days, minim molds required. NBA bet boost restrictions apply and very well offered. Boost only applies to winnings for traditional terms and responsible gaming resources. See Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot Com, slash Promos limited time offer and I will be voicing my displeasure with that disclaimer.
Speaker 10: My god.
Speaker 2: All right, now.
Speaker 5: Joining us on the guest line really one of my favorite people that I have crossed in this fight game, Alexander the Great ape el Chon Grango, Hernandez.
Speaker 7: My man, it's great to see your brother. How we do it?
Speaker 9: You too, Man, I appreciate that you're also a top person in the world for me too, Man, I appreciate.
Speaker 5: You well, I think, bro, I really, I mean you certainly in our first fighter meeting made an impression, and then you went out and had that UFC debut, and I think back to twenty eighteen and so a lot of us were just sort of waiting to see what you would do next. And now I think you're realizing a lot of that potential. But you're a seventeen time UFC veteran. I don't know if it feels like it's been quickly or like does it feel like a blink or do you feel like you've been able to live in the moment and enjoy some of the fruits along the way.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's definitely been a ride. It's for sure. It's for sure been a roller coaster. I disassociated from the count a while ago once the record stopped going my way, so I didn't realize it was the seventeenth number. Iknew we're getting close to twenty.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 9: But no, it's been a It's definitely been a journey. It's been a journey, and I've kind of switched through different mindsets to sort of reach what I feel like is a is a solid state of performance. But yeah, kind of been a good groove right now. Man, I feel I feel pretty good about things, and at this point just really trying to be an artist of sorts, you know, impressed myself and myself proud and maybe Gardner a fan or two along the way.
Speaker 7: Well, you're doing that, man.
Speaker 5: Four straight wins and you're fighting Rotha Garcia of course coming up this weekend.
Speaker 7: You can see it live on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 5: But the biggest fight of your career and a lot of respects was to happen in January as you try to extend your winning treats against Michael Johnson at UFC three twenty four.
Speaker 7: Fight gets canceled day of the event.
Speaker 5: No official reason given by the UFC, there was notable betting line movement. Some speculated you were dealing with an injury, and I know you have been just dealing with the frustration and all of that. Thankfully you get back on the proven ground this weekend. But what was it like to sort of experience that and have that Michael Johnson fight go away?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was a pretty surreal experience, going from the uh, the ceremonial way into being accosted by two FEDS in the back and being accused of fixing a money line. So that was that was like being caught in a daytime drama but you're you're the cinema and uh, and it was. It was pretty insane coming off of a large weight cut and no hours of sleep to be just lundered in a room by two FEDS suited up. So that was, uh, yeah, that was fucking nuts. That was a nuts experience. And then and then just the way I was kind of cast aside. You know, I'm definitely working through, working through all the logistics with the UFC and fortunately able to get back into the proving grounds against Rafah. But yeah, man, that was a headache and a half for about five weeks clearing things up with the FED and and just just dealing with the UFC and just dealing with everyone. You know, that was honestly a nightmare. Is a crazy situation to be in, and something that I don't think anyone's ever been in, you know, certainly certainly not someone being falsely accused of something. This is kind of a new territory for all parties involved. And so you know, giving a lot of grace to you know, the UFC and everyone involved.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is crazy, man, Alex.
Speaker 6: You talked a little bit about maybe finding that right mindset, uh, and maybe finding that right recipe.
Speaker 7: What is that mindset that you're talking about.
Speaker 9: It kind of comes in ways, man, for for a while. You know, it's easy, man, it's really easy just beating people up, you know. But h but combat to craft, you know, for fighting is an art. And at this date of my career, there's a lot of ways to make money. If I want to make money this way, I like to really exude some form of artistry out of myself. I really like to show myself as an artist and and and impressed myself with a performance.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 9: For for a while there, I was really trying to adopt this mindset of, as you know, and usefully I adopted this mindset of just detaching myself from expectations, outcome, anything you know, materials, just any any positive acclamation or anything that could come from the fight to trying to remove myself from it and in doing so not really stressing, you know, any of the rewards of winning, you know, and trying to take the pressure off of that and just controlling what I could control, which is just you know, my performance and what I what I'm able to do inside the cage. And that really kind of helped clear my mind. Just that attitude of detachment. I really like, I really exemplify that in the Hooper fight. I really felt free and then kind of carried that over into the Ferrara and going back to back fights just I think put a lot of stress on my nervous system and my neck. I've been dealing with some disc issues from like the Hullabo fight over and so I didn't I didn't have a left arm in the Ferrari fight on if you guess, I was swinging pretty much all right hands the whole fight, and so I was really excited when the Johnson fight, it was the healthiest I'd ever been. There's all these false rumor billing about me being hurt. I was never injured. I never had any injury. I was actually like in the best form I'd ever been in. And so again kind of losing that, you had to take a second to reset yourself because that was like an eight or nine week camp, and then we had five weeks of just terror and then got into about a six week camp with Rafa. So needed to find moments to completely reset yourself and get out of the fight or flight modes. Way I could just enjoy it, you know, and be present for this fight and really just keep myself healthy and tuned up too. I didn't want to lose all that work I put it in. So I feel like we did a pretty good job of that, just kind of filling some downtime, reving back up and then putting together a real Chris game plan for this guy.
Speaker 5: You know, it's hard to get to the big show that is the UFC and stay there and just time can things can happen really quickly, like fast forward to rewind, I should say two years ago you lose the split to Damon Jackson. That's two years ago, and everything sort of changed in terms of your picture right now with four straight wins, and ultimately, I guess I'm curious back then two years ago, was that a low point or were you in a good mental space already by that time.
Speaker 9: I would say that was the lowest of points. That would be, that would be the bellow of points right there, That was the lowest. I felt like I just didn't I didn't believe in my my group were superiors. I was kind of having a rough spell at home and uh, and yeah, I was just kind of spiraling out. And so I don't I don't know if no matter who you put in front of me, I was probably going to, you know, butcher that that performance and uh, definitely has some good moments in there, just didn't really put together too great and and made some pretty radical adjustments there afterwards. Took a couple of months of thinking, you know, that might that might have been the straw that that broke, that just fucking broke my back in half, and maybe maybe it's time to I don't know, become a finance bro or some other whack aspositional life. And it took a moment, by the grace of the sweet gods, Yeah, the golden gods of Brazil. I've had like a two week stint in Rio, uh, following Vince Bachelle for a fight, and stayed out there, yeah, with some friends and Brandon and uh truly got it. The met the saving grace of Riodajian era. There's a lot of religion in that water, I swear. And so I came back home a little bit reinvigorated, and uh, we create our own team, me Brandon and Clay Monts and and yeah, we we gathered this new crew and and we just started going to work and just trying to find enthusiasm again. Really was it. I was kind of on the on the fence even with it, but just how to find a way to get excited about training again, and just uh the vitality and the new group and Clay being such an obsessed little wizard. It's like weaponizing autism with him. And so we, uh we went to work on some pretty cool directions and just got excited again about about training. And man, if you can get excited about what you're doing and you kind of find a stimulus and in uh in the programming, you know, just in and feel like you're learning something new. If you can learn something new, it gets you excited. And so then I just started to feel myself again. I was like I could really I could go for a quick performance. And so we were fortunate to roll into a short notice against Hubbard and that that's a lot of times when I can shine and really find a reset. Is just feeling good, feeling good, go and and I think that's kind of like the most ideal way for a guy to get back in in the groove is to uh is to kind of just find hiss, uh, find his mojo and then go pull up on a short notice and right, yeah, and put it to the test. And that's that's really what we did. And then yeah, just start to find a real groove. We got real strategic and and just uh really start to believe in in the process and the people around me. And that was the biggest deal. I felt like really spinning our wheels for a couple of years there and and not really getting maybe the direction I needed. And yeah, and so it's kind of just hitting my head against a wall for a while there, and I try the one forty five cut back to fifty five, but after I saw forty five is like a man, I can do it, And so spent a little too much energy just making that effort, and eventually just as like, fuck it, man, I'm monthing nice. So I'm gonna go out. I'm gonna go out at least with a fuller belly, And so went back up to fifty five and really started to enjoy myself again.
Speaker 5: You know, San Antonio, Texas is Alexander Hernandez with us live on the Anakin Flooring Podcast. Yeah, definitely something special that you and Brandon and Clay Matza have created. I do want to ask you about Rafa Garcia before we get you on out of here. But bro, one thing I hadn't thought about when it came to your circumstances at UFC three twenty four. It's one thing to get cornered by the Feds in any walk of life, But after finishing a fucking weight cut right and then rehirating right, Kenny, I know, I'm right like nuts, dude. So respect for navigating that and forgiving all parties involved grace when you were falsely accused. Rafa's got momentum right, like most people see you right now, maybe nineteen or twenty in the world getting close to the top fifteen. I guess that's neither here nor there. But Rapa Garcia has got momentum. He's won two in a row since the loss to Grant Dawson. What what are your expectations of what do you making the matchup this weekend?
Speaker 9: I expect to be taller than him, and I usually don't fear to say that. Yeah you don't, I'm big dog. You know, I'm pretty excited about that pick up fucking me up the middle, so you better watch his job. And that's pretty muchef a joke and I pulled away as a really no, I think, uh, that's pretty Uh, that's pretty exciting stuff right there. I normally don't get get a high advantage on a fellow and uh, and I just expect to do my thing. You know, he's a real tough this guy. He's you know, he's a he's a vent at this point, and he's on a nice little role himself. And so, uh, that's exciting. I'm glad to be fighting guys with good momentum. And and I man, I just have uh, I just have true confidence and myself. You know, Uh, I'm callous. I know, I know where I'm out in the game. I know myself and despite anything, I know I'm gonna perform and show up and and again. Really, I just want to make an example. You know, have my health and I want to put on a performance I'm super proud of. I want to like, not just like broot my way through it, but man, put on a put on a pretty display if I can, so hopefully hopefully put on a pretty sweet performance. Get a nice under k bonus and drop the mic.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be a lot of eyeballs on Alexander Hernandez this weekend.
Speaker 7: You can see it live on Paramount Plus. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I used to love when they would have me do the staredowns or post fight interviews for the fly weights.
Speaker 7: I'd been like, all right, we're here with your winner down too.
Speaker 5: I mean not all the fly weights are built like Brandon rod Dog Roy Ball.
Speaker 9: You know you gotta get it when you can.
Speaker 7: Man, Death, Hey, my man, thank you for the time.
Speaker 5: We'll be watching this weekend. Man, have a great friend, brother Don Chenko. Alexander Hernandez with us live on the Anakin Florian podcast. Really good dude, and uh, when you're healthy?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: I ran into him at a future UFC Live event after UFC three twenty four, and he said of his health, I almost feel like now I should be texting Hunter Campbell every day, you know, as I'm working out, just to make sure that the UFC knows that my health is optimal. Because when things all of a sudden become open to interpretation and you have no idea why a bunch of money is coming in on your opponent because you're rumored to be injured, he just found himself in a crazy circumstance. So all right, hey, real quick, before we get out of I know Kenny's gonna go compete, all right, but I got got Kenny one thing. No, I just forgive me John, you can cut this off anytime. But in terms of the George Saint Pierre stuff, Kenny the real rub to me from that was the efficiency versus the cardio. And I was privileged enough to work with Frank Mehre at Dirty Boxing six and he is a very stupid mind. You guys both worked with him on MMA Live broadcast other things, and that was sort of the takeaway for me. Kenny was the efficiency. And so as I'm watching Dirty Boxing, you know, talking about gas tank and who has carry Frank Meer is talking just about the efficiency of the striking and how much of your gas tank you use when you were inefficient. So that was sort of the connection for me with the GSP stuff.
Speaker 7: That's all absolutely man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, And I do think VO two Max right, like you can improve your VO two Max. That's why I need to buy an assault bike because even if I think I'm in decent shape, my VO two Max is straight fucking trash.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: So we've done this before, Homophyte repacks. It's a labor of love for me. I absolutely love this. So if I told you a sixty dollars investment could land you a sixteen hundred dollars UFC card, you'd probably be intrigued. Homeo fytrepacks power by Collectibles dot Com. So we've done it before, we're going to do it here. But here's how it works. You get your pack, you secure it, you rip it open, and inside is already an authentic graded UFC card. It's already been PSA graded. And then from there you can either keep it secure in your online vault, you can ship it home to your collection, or move it sell it instantly, right back to collectibles dot com. The chase is real. You can draw John Jones go beating Remago Metov Shan O'Malley And if you love MMA and you appreciate championship level stakes, I think you want to get involved here Homo Fye Cards dot Com. You can also download the Collectibles app and get in on the action. Because sometimes the biggest wins don't happen inside the octagon, they happen in the card room. To that end, Kenny and I each get two cards today. This is Homo Fight Exclusive MMA repack. It's taken every bit of self control for me not to open these before the fucking show.
Speaker 7: So there you go, my first of two today. Let's go.
Speaker 5: And I'm going to confirm my purchase, and let's just not draw Dan Murgliata. Yes, I'm ready. We're just trying. No refs, right, No Rammies, no refs, no Rammies, no refs. Grant Dawson PSA ten. Oh, we like the PSA ten. That's a pretty spectacular Grand Dawson card. We are gonna We're gonna send it back for fifty four thirty eight. We're gonna live to buy another pack. We love you Grant, But we're gonna sell Grant Dawson back, all right, and I believe I'm gonna get to open one more before we swing the pendulum to Kenny Florian.
Speaker 7: Is that we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: All right, Let's go all right, nobody needs to know, nobody gets hurt. Oh look at that balance? What why do my balance go to zero?
Speaker 7: All right, here we go. I've sold back my grand Dawson card. Oh I miss that sound.
Speaker 5: I miss that sound of the reveal Cody Mine all Fire twenty twenty two, Panini Prism, UFC Blue.
Speaker 7: Hello, hold on to pretty good car.
Speaker 5: Gonna hold onto that, but a fur might become a UFC champion, So yeah, to hold on to the A four for now. And now Kenny Florian is going to take the floor and let's see what we got here, and Cody is gonna sign you in. So it just takes a minute here. I've also asked him to bring back the chime fresh off of Red Eye flow. I think you got some good juice flowing here. You may get a good cut.
Speaker 7: Let's see what we got here. I'm with John, No, no referees. I don't need any of that noise.
Speaker 5: So I have gotten back into cards. Kenny, go ahead, see there we go.
Speaker 7: No wammies, no wammies, no refs. We love the big tan though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, here's the sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 7: What we got, what I can't read without my belief is Magoula. It's a p s A ten.
Speaker 5: Pretty good buy back offer, right, you spend sixty dollars right, they're saying fair market value is sixty three. You can sell it back right now for ninety percent by back fifty six dollars and ninety one cents. I'm gonna sell is respect with respect, with respect, all right, your funds are already in your wallet.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's how this works.
Speaker 5: And after the show, spend another hour on this app trying to reel in a big one. One more home of fight mm a repack for Kenny Florian before we get on out of here.
Speaker 3: Here we go. Yeah, oh I got.
Speaker 7: Two of those ye that rapin that golden tone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Who is that? I can't read?
Speaker 3: Boy, boy?
Speaker 5: That is a there is as a ten. The fair market value eighty four to seventy. The buyback is seventy six twenty three. I think you should hold that.
Speaker 7: But I'm holding on from your Era flow. You got that, dude, look at that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 7: It was meant to be.
Speaker 5: I know the listeners and the viewers have been enjoying this a little bit, and we are going to give away some of our cards to the listeners, so I think that is an important point to make. All right, Thank you to everybody for uh joining us for the last couple hours or so, thanks to our guest Ray long Ago, r J Clifford, Alexander Hernandez, Matty Betts, Jason Anik. We got a big week coming next week.
Speaker 7: You know why.
Speaker 5: The fucking Nightmare Carlos Protests is going to Perth, Western Australia to fight Jack Della Mattlanta and we're going to a big one next Monday. Any final words, Jay before we let you go.
Speaker 7: Are you good?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: I don't want to make you mad. No, I'm not. I'm not mad.
Speaker 7: I'm bad though, I'm the bad Annik. Thank you all for what listening.
Speaker 5: We will talk to you guys next Monday for Cody Marrow, n Brons and Jason and Kenny Floor and I'm John Anick. Everybody at all the Smoke Fight. We will talk to you next Monday. Until then fell there