Speaker 1: I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech Daily. Well, today is the day when Google's Chrome browser starts to block ads on the Internet. And you might be thinking to yourself, well, that sounds kind of crazy. Doesn't Google run one of the biggest ad networks online? Yes, but here's what they're trying to do. They're trying to block those annoying ads, the ones that get in your way of reading, the ones that block your entire website, And those are the ads that they're going to try to stop in an effort to make advertisers find ways of reaching us better.
Speaker 2: So let's see. There's a thing called the Coalition for Better Ads.
Speaker 1: This is an industry group that is focused on making the user experience of online advertising better. And I'm kind of laughing, because, yes, there are good ads out there, and we appreciate when we are reached with good ads, but we've been bombarded with so many bad ads over the years that we just kind of want to avoid them all together. They've come up with something called the Better Ads Standards, and what they did was they looked at all the different types of ads that are found online and they.
Speaker 2: Came up with the twelve worst types of ads.
Speaker 1: Those include pop up ads on the desktop, auto play video ads with sound, large sticky ads that you can't get rid of, and on mobile of course pop up ads, post sitle ads with a countdown density, ads.
Speaker 2: Which take up more than thirty percent of the screen.
Speaker 1: Flashing animated ads, and full screen scrollover.
Speaker 2: Ads, just to name a few.
Speaker 1: So those are the types of ads that Chrome is going to start blocking by default.
Speaker 2: And what happens is every site will get sort of.
Speaker 1: A rating, so it'll be a passing rating, a warning, or a failing and if a site gets to a failing rating, basically, Google's going to start blocking.
Speaker 2: That site's ads.
Speaker 1: Now, all this stuff is happening in the background, you don't really need to know about any of that. All you're gonna notice is that you're going to start seeing some places where ads should be. But you're gonna get a message saying that ad blocking has occurred, as well as an option to disable that setting and allow ads on that site. So Google's ad filter is going to check if a page belongs to a site that fails these standards. And it's not just it's not just like random advertisers.
Speaker 2: Google is including all ad.
Speaker 1: Providers, or many ad providers, including their own ad platforms, which is ad Sense.
Speaker 2: And double Click. So as a regular person that's using Chrome, what should you do? Well? Personally, I would.
Speaker 1: Disable this altogether, That's what I would do, because this is very picky and choosy. So Google's not saying we're blocking all ads, We're just blocking annoying ads.
Speaker 2: So what does that mean?
Speaker 1: That means something different to every single person out there. Maybe I don't like ads tracking me and this doesn't really mention anything about privacy, which is what happens when you go to a website like Amazon, you look at something and next thing you know, that ad follows you around the Internet for the next fifteen websites that you visit. Doesn't really say anything about that. So what I do is I disable these default Chrome settings that block ads, and I would do something on my own. So there are lots of add ons you can get for your computer or your phone that will help you protect your privacy and block annoying ads as well. One of them is called Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials. That's kind of an all in one that blocks a lot.
Speaker 2: Of trackers and things.
Speaker 1: One of the most popular ad blockers for nerds is called you Block Origin, and the reason that nerds like that one is because it's lightweight, it's simple. I believe it's open source, but I'm not sure on that one, but basically it works. It's very lightweight and nice.
Speaker 2: Another really popular one is called ad block Plus.
Speaker 1: So ad block plus works pretty much across all different websites and browsers, and also your mobile phone so that can work. And they also have things like content blockers and Safari for your iPhone. And I'm testing something new which is kind of like a system wide program called stop ad and that one stops ads.
Speaker 2: And trackers across your entire computer. So again, these are some options that are out there for you. Maybe you don't really care, so it doesn't really matter, just like Chrome do its thing.
Speaker 1: But the idea here is that everyone's experience online will be better if these marketers are put in their place. Thanks so much for listening. I'm Rich Demiro. If you want to learn more, go to Rich on tech dot tv. I'll talk to you next time.