Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Witt, and today I have very special guests, actor, producer, model, and former professional athlete Blue Kimberle in the building.
Speaker 2: Why are you?
Speaker 1: Why are you black? Because I said model, just wow, there's a long title.
Speaker 2: No thank you, crowd.
Speaker 1: It's all your all your You're like a true Jamaican.
Speaker 2: You have all these I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm Jamaican now, actor, producer, model, professional, former professional athlete. It's a lot yes, and there's a lot of are you you're not Jamaican?
Speaker 2: I not Caribbean, big shout out. I'm a Caribbean people.
Speaker 1: What are are you just black?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 1: Are you just black?
Speaker 2: I'm a mutt most black people are.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: What about yourself?
Speaker 1: For you, I'm one hundred percent much money people. People look at me. That's a Puerto Rican, Hispanic, Dominican Spanish speaking something.
Speaker 2: I'm black, my mother is black, my fault is black. But they yeah, my family has a lot of other other things. The you know, everybody like to claim that they Cherokee. Yeah, yeah, got all that. You know what I'm saying. So there you have it.
Speaker 1: So before we get into everything, Blue Kimball, I wanna know what you're gonna be cooking us for breakfast today? Mm well, I didn't even mean to say that breakfast, but m y, you know. But technically this is my first meal of the day. So what are you gonna have me eating today? And go through the ingredients in the season.
Speaker 2: A lot of people like to call them struggle plates. You know what I'm saying, when you're cooking and you're broke and you're struggling. But being from the South, like I said, I'm from Atlanta, so southern culture, southern heritage. You can eat breakfast all day, breakfast for lunch, breakfast for dinner, come home at the club two in the morning, late breakfast. So this is a struggle plate. We are making a sandwich. P s.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's in your sandwich?
Speaker 2: Make no way a sandwich? No, that's not what we said, say it right, sandwich A sandwich, hilarious sandwich. Not a sandwich. This is a sandwich and it's gonna have eggs and bacon and cheese. But a sandwich can be comprised of whatever ingredients you choose. But we gonna do eggs and bacon for this sandwich and.
Speaker 1: Cheese and for the sandwich. Do you do your eggs scrambled or hard over easy?
Speaker 2: Like either or depends. Sometimes it's scrambled, sometimes you do 'em hard. You wanna do hard? You from New York? I'm New York like hard eggs. They like their eggs hard, we do, so we gonna do hard egg okay, cause New York is in the building, So yeah, we gonna do hard eggs for me. Every everything from New York is just hard eggs. Hard. The girls are hard bralic.
Speaker 1: He's been making fun of you guys since he got here, so right now, blue hats for all your listeners. He already started cooking the potatoes.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 1: So that was a nice addition. So it looks like it'll be a nice hearty breakfast. Go ahead and hardy, hardy breakfast, cause you got potatoes. Go ahead and make me some breakfast, man, and get into this sandwich.
Speaker 2: Times get into it. Like you said, we going to oil this pan, you know, with some organic virgin oil. You know they say you're not supposed to be U vegetable or no more. Right, Yeah, even though we still do, I know you still do.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. No, I use it only like if I'm doing potatoes or maybe plantings every once in a while.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but you just said you wasn't Puerto Rican.
Speaker 1: I'm Jewish and Jamaican.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wonder you hit me with the Caribbean vibes. Okay, any man with a job.
Speaker 1: Is Jamaican exactly. And well with multiple jobs.
Speaker 2: Multiple jobs, you have a lot of.
Speaker 1: Jobs, okay. And it looks like you've had a nice journey. So take me back to what was going on. Take me all the way back to the original, because I know, Salm, the sandwich meal can be still be you know, you can still enjoy that today. But take me back to the time when this was a meal of to keep you, keep.
Speaker 2: You full, because it's like that, like you said, during the times when you're struggling or whatever and money is an issue, crack that egg because you want them hard. You know, you gotta you know, reach and and and find things that are last. And it's always eggs. Eggs is a meal that you that you can buy a card and the eggs for the low, you know what I mean. And you can always eat eggs for breakfast, lunch of dinner.
Speaker 1: Do back in the day it was for the low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well not now right. You gotta be balling to get eggs now. But back in the day, that's what it was. You can get eggs. So anytime, like I said, money low, you can't get out, you can't eat. You know, you gotta get some and you know, the men that work out want their proteins and this and that eggs is that eggs is the good you know, the good protein. So at any time you can always.
Speaker 1: So can you take me back to a time when it.
Speaker 2: Was eggs for the low low and you can eat eggs all week?
Speaker 1: Can you take me back to a time when it was like times were rough most like starting out, maybe before you became a professional.
Speaker 2: Uh see, that's the whole thing. People think that just because you're a professional athlete, that means you're rich, that means you're balling. That means this majority of football players are making league minimum, you know minimum. Back then it was a hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Okay, you know what I'm saying. Right now, I think it may be it may be two fifty, but it's still a lot of people that's making league minimum. So after you go through that and tax you know, you're getting still gonna get taxation and all that. So, yeah, you're playing football, but yeah you're not rich, you're not balling. You're just getting paid to you know, your dream to be a professional football player, and you still chasing the dream. But no, the people that are the names, the people in the names that you know, and they're getting paid twenty million dollars a year. Mm. But trust me, it's more people that's making league minimum than it is. Yeah, people that's balling and getting paid all the money and.
Speaker 1: Being being a football uh huh uh NFL player. The schedules like what what what does the schedules? It like a hundred percent full time, eat, sleep, dr everything. It is that what it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I I I.
Speaker 2: I don't like this, okay. So being you know, from the culture, you know, a man and whatever. Most in our demographic from the eighties from the nineties, there wasn't too many dreams that I mean not dreams, but too many other things that you see people that look like you and be like, oh I wanna do that, I wanna be that. So that's why it's always sports it's always football, It's always basketball, because that's us. That's who we see, you know what I mean. Now, in this time and in twenty twenty five and going forward, you see so many different things. You know, with the Internet, you could see black lawyers, black doctors, black whatever. Back but back then, your superstar, your hero is gonna be athletes. So, like I said, we play sports from the beginning. I've been playing football, basketball, everything since I was five years old. So it was always that the.
Speaker 1: Even though coming from Atlanta, cause Atlanta has like uh yu, black people in almost every seat, you still felt like that was the only thing you really saw.
Speaker 2: It's not that it's the only thing. It's just the simple thing that you gravitate to, you know what I mean. And and yes, big shout out to you for knowing that Atlanta has always been a chocolate city, you know what I mean. And we've in comparison that I do now that I've lived all over the country and been in other cities, and it's such a blessing and a privilege, and anybody from Atlanta, I definitely tell you, there's just to be raised in Atlanta, you know what I mean, to be able to have the culture like you just spoke of, or being able to see so many black people doing different things. You know what I mean? We h we have that in Atlanta. We always have had a rich black culture and people like you just said, professional blacks. We have that in Atlanta, but they're not on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you who.
Speaker 2: We will watch it on TV. You don't what I'm saying. The sports and athletes. But no, we have that in Atlanta, always have and like I said, to grow up with that. And then when you come you meet people from different walks, different cities. Like one of my friends is that's you know, the homie now and he's from Kansas, you know what I mean. And he we, you know, sit down and do these talks different panels, and he was always just the only black person in his class and this and that he's surrounded by white people. He's the token black you know, to use to use those air quotes. Yeah, but you know what I'm saying, and a and and then we chopped it up and was like damn. You know, then you get to talking to people from Atlanta, it's the opposite where you didn't see a white person like that until you were fifth maybe in the fifth grade or middle school or whatever. Like you, we weren't around white people. We were raised around a black community, you know what I mean. So, and just to come up that way with the rich culture from Atlanta, it's a blessing man to know that as a black man, you can do more because you've seen it. Yeah, and that and I feel like that's some of the mentality and some of the energy that's installed in a lot of people from Atlanta. Why so many successful Atlanta people are doing.
Speaker 1: It now You've lived in every city you mentioned earlier, and you're now in the entertainment business. Could you potentially seeing it being a you have your friend from Kansas who is surrounded by all whites, then you you know, prior to Tyler Perry and some of these black names really pushing forward with black production, I would say the industry was not predominantly ran by black people. Could you see it? Could you see that potentially hurting someone that comes from Atlanta that's not privy to that many other races doing.
Speaker 2: Things as I butter your toast, thank you literally yeah, I mean in saying you brought up Tyler Perry. Big shout outs to the big boss, Tyler Perry. That's one of the main reasons that I'm into the industry now because, like I said, he did everything that he did within Atlanta after I stopped playing ball and going through that transition. That's how I randomly fell into acting. You know, if I would have stayed in any other other cities, if I would stayed in Florida, Miami, where I was living, if I would have stayed in Charlotte, where I was playing ball at one point living there, I wouldn't be doing this now because I moved back to Atlanta and Atlanta was popping with the film industry, and Tyler Perry was taking off of what he was doing, and Atlanta was becoming the Hollywood of the South because those Avenues was there. That's how I randomly fell into this shit.
Speaker 1: Now, before we get into the random randomly fell into acting, I wanna go back to you aspiring to be a professional athlete, your householder, upbringing, two parent household, single mom. I wanna know the whole scoop, rich, poor, middle class O.
Speaker 2: What's sure?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's like that. No. I I I come from a two parent household. My mother and father are still married, I love that happily in love to this day. They've been married for fifty years. Fifty years, fifty years.
Speaker 1: Now, when do you do you have a a ideal? Uh uh, a positive outlook on love because you've seen that, oh big time.
Speaker 2: Like I said, so, I'm the youngest of three boys, you know what I'm saying, And I'm just a old soul. Everybody that meets me will say that because I'm raised by the elders. I got older brothers, older cousins, older uncles, you know what I'm saying, and just all that. So everything that I have, I went through it with them. I saw them doing it. I'm watching them doing it. I'm watching my older brother bring girls home. You know what I'm saying, at a early age. So these things impact you or whatever. But like I said, I'm raised by men. I come from a boy family. We have Like I said, I don't have a sister. You know, I had one cousin. My eldest cousin was a girl. Rest boys like twenty twenty twenty boy.
Speaker 1: Cousins, okay, and then middle class poor.
Speaker 2: No, nobody's rich. There's no such thing. Yeah, two parent household, mother and father, you know, doing their thing. No, you know what I mean? Middle class? Uh?
Speaker 1: And what did they do mit?
Speaker 2: Middle class? Meaning whenever they if they did struggle, I didn't know it. Okay, they let us, they they they made sure that we were good. Okay, you know what I'm saying. So I can't attest to the people. You know what I'm saying, even though I saw it, and growing up more and being around more, you see it and understand it. But no, my mother and father never let us go without. So we never did the whole thing of oh, y'all gonna eat air breakfast tonight, I mean for dinner. Yeah, you're eating air in water.
Speaker 1: And you never caught wind of anything. Okay, that's that's great. Now are you the first? Are you the first and only professional athlete in your family? Because it sounds like you got a lot of men.
Speaker 2: Come from a sport family. Like I said, we did that, and that's the whole thing. Sports is always there within the family and within community. But that's the thing. You have to survive the community before you can be a professional anything. You know, you have to survive the streets. You have to survive the allure of the stereotypical things that black men go through being raised in the hood or not in the hood.
Speaker 1: Like what for example, just whatever.
Speaker 2: No. So, like some of the people that were supposed to make it to the NFL, the NBA, and they didn't because they didn't survive the streets. Some of the best football players in basketball players that I know dropped out of high school because the streets got 'em. Yeah, you know, they didn't stay down and like you said, or have two parents taking care of them like I did. So, yeah, they selling crack or they doing whatever or e x y Z. They don't have time to chase the allure of the dream. Yeah, I need money right now. So it's like that, and all of that happens. And even when you come from a situation like mine, you still can get caught up. Like I said, my oldest you know, not to glorify that, but that's what my older brothers and uncles did. Yeah, they they were in the streets. So the allure for that was always there for me. I had a VIP access to the street life if that's what I wanted, you know what I mean, Even though they wouldn't advocate it for me, it was still there. I chose I had to make those choices. I chose not to be the stereotypical street guy, and in a victim to that situation, I knew that I could do more and was capable of more because I watch all them and seen when they ane did. And I've seen people get shot, not not, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I mean, yeah, you see, you've seen.
Speaker 2: You've seen I've seen the the the the the other side of the sword, like I said, growing up around that and being raised by the others, you see it. Yeah, so you see when it falls apart. You see people get killed, you see people go to jail. You see people, like I said, in the street chasing things that have in this and they fall all the way off the other side of what can happen. So No, even though that was there for me and I coulda would have done all that and had those instant I chose not to. Even though it was always there, And it's always tempting because like you said, you doing something else and you going without. You're playing football, you're not getting paid, you're going to school, you're not getting paid. Your homiees pulling up in the damn bens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw a football documentary. I want to say a year or two years ago on Netflix, and it talked about like what football athletes go through and all that. And then even if even if you beat the odds of turning down sex, drugs, and alcohol before making it, once you make it, those vices come ten I would imagine ten times harder because now you.
Speaker 2: Have you see I putted it as it and it looks so good.
Speaker 1: You know, you're making two sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Right but this was yours. It gets mine after you.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. I'm gonna judge his breakfast. But right now it looks good. It looks like he knows what he's doing. Guys, So after you make it, I would imagine the vices come harder for you. Right, So now you're dealing with in or or you know whatever, just.
Speaker 2: All of that. I mean, of course those things are there, so, like you said, going through those struggles or whatever. So if you're you don't just become a s a star. So if you have the potential to go to the NFL and all this stuff, nine times of the ten you're the man on campus in high school. You know it's still there, the lord of those things that they're people showing you favoritism and more attention and X y Z. But yeah, No, it's different when you get to the league and now you're famous and you have a million dollars at your disposal. Yeah, and you went from just having a high school sweetheart or two of people and now you got ten girls, Yeah, trying to throw themselves at you every damn day. Yeah, it's like that. It's a struggle and a lot of people don't survive it. It just is what it is. The men, the mentality, cause, like, think about it, so many people hit the NFL or NBA or whatever become you know, hit the league, and you like, man, he was so good in college or he was so isn't that why he didn't or he was the man? Why he didn't pan out? Because you lose the focus once you it's hard to stay focused and do everything that you have been doing to get to this point. Now you like, oh, I'm here, I made it, I got paid. Now I can relax a little bit. Did you go that sh when you fall off?
Speaker 1: But did you relax a little bit?
Speaker 2: Na? Oh, it's not. Everybody's walk is different. Mine ain't the same.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm trying to find out. What was your walk like.
Speaker 2: Oh see, Like I said, I was in high school, I was in trouble because the street stuff was there. I I I didn't. I played football all my life, always been good. Like I said, y, this is what we do. But I didn't. It's not that I didn't take it serious. It's just what we used to do. And I made my situation harder for me. I didn't go to a major school because, like I said, I was in trouble. My coach was telling people that I wasn't you know, people go say, you know, call him a hater or whatever, but he was telling people that I wasn't college material and that type deal. So I didn't. I didn't go to major school. I went to black college. I went to Morris Brown in Atlanta. That was a black college. It's you know, one of the historical HBCUs in Atlanta. They lost their accreditation and they you know, in the football team when I f when when I first got there. So I went there, and then I transferred to other schools and getting kicked out of other schools, you know, trying to find my way, and I ended up in Alabama. Ended up in Alabama, and I was supposed to try to get a situation going on at the University of Alabama. This was before Nick Saban got there, but in all their glory, but whatever, that didn't, that didn't pan out, and I had to try and I went to the black college across the street in Tuscaloosa. It's called Stillman Still in College and a lot of people have never heard of it. Still in College and tuscal loose I Alabama, hbc U. Shout out to all the steel Nights out there, the Steelman Tigers. Yep. So and when you do that and you go to a smaller.
Speaker 1: School, I feel like this is gonna end up burning that bread.
Speaker 2: That's cheese. Cheese. Don't don't you get over here knocking. What's going on over here? It's not burnt.
Speaker 1: Look look at the bread that's Look at the other side melted. Look at the other side, the other side, he perfectly not show.
Speaker 2: You're a gas lighter, look like on the stove.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're you end up making it to the NFL right to becoming a professional athlete, right, tell me about that right before transition. How you get the phone call, what you're thinking, what that process is.
Speaker 2: It's not like that. It d it doesn't happen like that, Like I said, that's no what I'm saying. So, like I said, it's levels to everything, y'all, y'all are taking it from you. You you speaking on the level of the stuff that you see on TV. Yeah, when you see the people, oh here comes the call you getting drafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: From that's not how it happens too. Like I said, I I'm coming from black college. Okay, black college players aren't treated with the same you know, just the allure those from major schools from Alabama, Florida, the big schools, D one schools. You know what I'm saying. It's no pageantry to it like that. You know what I'm saying. You don't get drafted. You have to go through another process. That what I'm saying. They have different tryouts and different things like that. So when they have the other combines and the other tryouts and I go there and I perform, well, then they say you're invited to come like to camp. Oh okay, there's no there's no And you know what I'm saying. Some players get it, like you said, the calls and stuff like, but that's when they're super on you know, a level of you know, being elite, and they acknowledged this that and they like, oh we want this guy, so they risk a draft pick, no anybody else. You gotta go through those channels. You gotta walk still like walk on mm. And that's what I had to do. I had to go through these things and trying to earn a spot on these teams. And that's what it always was. They're like, you're good enough, we see you, but I got other guys in front of you. It's like corporate. Yeah, this guy graduated from Yale. Yeah you know what I'm saying. He gets a shot before you get a shot. Black man, yeah, or whoever you it's the same thing. So like yeah, you good, but you have to wait. I gotta let this guy, this guy, this guy go before you.
Speaker 1: So like this side that we all would never see or predict.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's it's it's business, yeah, regardless about it being sport. And if you know you good enough, you get the reward. But still if you don't comfor go through those type of situations, it's different. No, we got you. It's different. Like you said, you have to you still gotta go through the channels. You still have to go through the politics. You still have to do all that. And that's the side that nobody sees, that nobody talks about. And like you said, you like, man, I just wanna play ball. I'm a kid. I just wanna play ball. I just wanna l live my dream. And nine times out of ten it doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: When you were doing football, did you feel like you had arrived your you're You're it? This is it for you?
Speaker 2: No? I mean because it was always that. I was never like a in a in a place of comfort like yeah I made it. Yeah, y No, every day is like you about to get fired. Every day, You about to get cut. Every day, you about to get released every day. You gotta you worrying about what's next. So that that's the journey for me and the people that go through the struggle like I did. It ain't it's not glamorous. There's no there's no there's no glamour side of it. Like and this is organic bacon, definitely, isn't it is?
Speaker 1: This is like five dollars at it's organic foo less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, struggle baby, struggle plates struggle bacon. But yeah, no, the route like you said all that. No, it's not glamoring because you waiting and with anything, your future is in the hands of someone else. Yeah, regardless about your performance as a as an athlete or whatever, it's still on somebody else to say, let's give this kid a shot, Let's give this kid a chance, and if that doesn't happen, it's a rap. And that happens more times than not. Right, you understand so old, you're good enough to be somewhere, but you're not gonna get the opportunity because of the system. Yeah, you know, just like corporate or whatever. So but the only thing with that sports the time is your window of opportunity, and time is this small, you know what I mean. It's a young man's game. You need to be able to produce now, and if you can't, it's a rap. And then after that it's like this. You been doing something for so long, right, Like you said, I've been playing football since I was five years old, been playing it forever. People have been chasing this drinks since there was a kid, and just like that it's old. Somebody say, nah, you good, We don't want you no more, we don't want you. Know, you're not good enough. To go to like after high school, they say you're not good enough to play at the college level. It's a rap. You're not playing football ever again. Or then when you're done with college, you're not good enough to go to the professional level, and it's a wrap. You will never put it. You'll never put that helmet on again. You'll never put those pads on again. See like basketball, you can go to LA Fitness and still dribble and cross Monbuger's over and shoot Steph Curry three's or dunk on people to get your basketball fixed. Football you will never feel that.
Speaker 1: Why is that because there's no like place where you can actually do it right?
Speaker 2: What about well, I guess you can't listen you can now, Like it's leagues that they have where they have thirty in up football and you're out there. These people are out. No smoke to anybody that does that. I'm not talking about you. You know what I'm saying. Don't take this the wrong way. But it's people, like I said, still chasing the dream, chasing those skills. But if you out there playing football at thirty five and actually bang bang banging your nuts, you could die. Yeah, break your leg.
Speaker 1: I was gonna sayfering.
Speaker 2: Not getting paid.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, for like even the professional athletes, that's not enough money.
Speaker 2: For the professionals. That's why they get paid what they get paid. You're risking it for the biscuit. And that's why we're talking about people from poverished situations. They're like, this is my chance, this is my opportunity, this is what else am I gonna do? What else am I going to do that's gonna generate this type opportunity. So you risk it, You risk breaking your leg, you risk getting concussions. And that's what's going on now. Like I said, we're talking to eydsight CTE. You know what I'm saying, from people banging their heads and getting concussions all the time. I'm blessed enough that I got out of it unscared, you know what I'm saying. I'm still here, I'm still doing my thing, still feeling good, looking good, no smoke. But my friends, my colleagues, I got so many dudes, like one of my one of my bros, that I knew he has like early on site dementia. You know what I'm saying, early stages of dementia from playing ball, banging so much. My other guy's knees is bad. They backs are bad. They can't you know what I'm saying, take some how much of a time to get up out of the bed. Like I said, these are the war stories from you know, just sports and stuff that you don't hear, you know when you when you aid your hands listen. I told you I'm from Atlanta. I'm a real man. I'm a real man. Okay, not not no smoke took people that aren't real men. But I'm a Southern gentleman and a real man. So if you go get in here and make a struggle play, you go get in here and struggle with it.
Speaker 1: I love that you know how to cook, even though it seems like the potatoes are turned out very low.
Speaker 2: No, they they's just the potatoes are on a slow burn.
Speaker 1: This was I'm gonna let you cook.
Speaker 2: You say, let that man.
Speaker 1: It would be like a two hour breakfast.
Speaker 2: Wait no, if if this wasn't for camera, it would have been a fastest situation. Really yeah, we doing we spacing it out, talking it out. Who you know? For you?
Speaker 1: Thank you bro? So okay, so take me into your a you and you end up believing professional football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like I said, I'm doing all that. I'm doing the struggle, going through it, and then people telling you you're not good enough. No, it's like that. So that's the NFL. And then they say, yeah, we see you, you good, We we rock with you, we fuck with you, but we can't put you on a team. So go over here to the minor league or the other league, or the or the Arena football league, the leagues that's attached, you know what I'm saying. So I I did all that, Go over here, get some you know, some good game footage. Game real, that's what it's called. Go get it, Go get some more touchdowns and come back and see us type shit. But whatever, I my body was so banged up. I got injured. And that's the other thing, like you said, the comparison to corporate and the time and the window being short, my n my my ankles is banged up. There, I knee surgery, all this type of stuff. I didn't rehab well. So instead of keep doing the the game, the gambit that I was doing, I was like, maybe it's time for me to hang it up. And then afterwards you you quit, like I said, it's something that you've done your entire life. You quit and you're done, but then afterward you have the remorse you like and the internal conflict. You're like, man, I can still go. I gave up too quick. I still got some in the tank, you know what I'm saying. So you have that where you beating yourself up, and a lot of people, like I said, when it's done, it's done, And a lot of athletes, if you don't find something to replace the sport, the void. Like I said, you're an athlete, you're a professional athlete, or you've been doing sports your whole life. If you don't find something to replace it, you know, it can really fuck you up. And a lot of people have PTSD from that, you know what I mean, from sports and not panning out and not finding something else after life after sport, life.
Speaker 1: At PTSD from it, Yes, is it because you're going through that battle of whether you gave up too soon and.
Speaker 2: No, just all of it, life after sport, life after the trauma from doing everything something you gave your life to and then you didn't succeed. So, like I said, imagine, if you imagine you're the man from the small town Oh, Jimbo, he's the man. Jimbo made it to the NFL and then after two seasons, Jimbo's back in Yeah Bumfuckville. They're like, what are you doing here, Jimbo? You supposed to be on TV?
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 2: Whoa Jimbo? You're a failure? Yeah, Jimbo, you sell tires. Now do you understand the transition? What do you do after the failure? And you are in the public eye of so many people because you were a star and yeah, yeah, Now.
Speaker 1: How did you go through that transition? How long was that transitional period for you?
Speaker 2: Like I said, it was me I, Like I said, you have the internal conflict of like, damn, maybe I still should go play some more. And a lot of people that's what they do. I had a lot of friends kept trying to get in the league or get back to the league. Today was thirty and forty years old. Like I said, it's a rap. Football is a sports. That's what NFL stands for. Not for long, you did that. Not for long. You're gonna be here, but you better you better figure it out. Not for long. It's a quick turnover. It's a young man's game. Did every every year, there's a nine twenty year old person trying to take your job. Yeah, every every every turnaround.
Speaker 1: So did you go to therapy after?
Speaker 2: You know, we come from the era where therapy wasn't. I was about to say wasn't around. It's always been around. Therapy wasn't. It was shonned upon.
Speaker 1: So I tell you, so you skipped out on that.
Speaker 2: No, th you th you have to have therapy within oneself, you know, therapy within family, therapy within people who actually care about you, people that you can actually talk to, and things that you can actually do. Church was there for a while, you know what I'm saying. We did all that, But my thing was my therapy was producing, as in generating, staying active work and getting things done. Like I said, I had other business ventures from all the people that I have connections and things I had worked with.
Speaker 1: So what did you do after football?
Speaker 2: It's that, like I said, I have a business ventures. There had other things going. I thought that my connection to sport and football, thought I was gonna be a coach. See and that's what a that's what a lot of players do. You transition from ball, and that's why you see him being commentators on TV or you get into coaching, and that's what I thought I was gonna do. I'm like, cool, I'm a coach. I'm'a be a you know it's done, but i'm'a be a super coach. And that was a shock within itself because it was so much harder than I anticipated, and it was so demanding. M It was twenty four to seven, none stop. And I was young. I don't know, I was a twenty twenty six, twenty seven U you know, young to me? You know what I'm saying. That was young, And I was in charge of a whole high school program. And I had a lot of you know, the high school kids, yeah, looking at me like I'm daddy y you know, pause, you know, but you know what I'm saying, like the father figure for all of the youth and this and that, and it charged them responsible for them, responsible for the curriculum, making sure they do this hundred kids. And I'm like, I'm gonna fail. I'm not ready for this. I wasn't mentally yeah prepared for that. Could I do it now at the you know, the grown level of maturity and everything that I'm at now? Yeah, And I could probably be great at it. But at that time I had to walk okay, cause I was finna I w I'm like, I'm going to fail and I'm not about to set myself up for failure. And they're like, you know how many bridges you're gonna burn and then YadA YadA x y Z and I'm like, it doesn't matter that I'm gonna burn these bridges. I'm not about to crucify cause I'm I'm like, I'm not. Yeah, I can't give the dedication that this the term you know that it gonna require. I'm still out here wanting to kick it with my friends and have drinks and go to the bar and do those free man things. I wasn't ready to dedicate myself to this. Yeah, So, like I said, I walked from that and after that, that's when I fell into the acting.
Speaker 1: Shure acting, So dr how do how did the acting hold on? Pause for a second? We gotta get you onto this mic?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just want to speed.
Speaker 2: Up to we're here to watch this. That's yearns.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of bacon.
Speaker 2: It's a sandwich?
Speaker 1: Is that for me? I don't really eat bacon like that, only like a little like.
Speaker 2: I just gonna bite it. You don't got to eat all of it. I'll eat the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right. So you keep saying that you fell into acting, do.
Speaker 2: You take you don't get like a picture of this.
Speaker 1: It's on there. It should be, it should be recording.
Speaker 2: This is glorious.
Speaker 1: I love that you're Can I please do this to you?
Speaker 2: Please do it for one that's ocasun.
Speaker 1: It's like this the whole time he's like this. I'm just saying like it's just like he's just doing whatever. You can't hide this, but I had to because your sandwich does look good.
Speaker 2: But the reason that it happened because we got the popping and talking and and I didn't.
Speaker 1: I had to do it.
Speaker 2: My timing was off and it got a little too. It's smoky, it's mellanated.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it's melanie. We just need we just need you to feed us at some point, Blue, this is going to be the longest breakfast ever. I can make this breakfast in under fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, let me all right, let me plate this.
Speaker 1: Please please here with your.
Speaker 2: Plate since you as long as y'all can see it, the sandwich and the glory with at night fan, Let's open it up right here.
Speaker 1: You know, what would you tell to your younger self?
Speaker 2: Look? Look, look at that?
Speaker 1: Look Look, wow, it looks great.
Speaker 2: You see that.
Speaker 1: It looks great? That do it under that?
Speaker 2: That right there? You see that. You see those levels, those layers in there. That's that's from twenty plus years of eating at the waffle house. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Give me Come on, let's let's let's get back to your story. Okay, tell me what would advice would you give to someone prior to you falling into acting?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into it and turn these potatoes down here.
Speaker 1: Put potatoes on our plates. Please, potatoes on the plates, the top one.
Speaker 2: You're good in the kitchen, Hey man, I told you I was a guy. You know, a real man, and a real man has to know how to feed himself.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what we should have put it in the Yeah, okay, I'm gonna use this. That's good.
Speaker 2: You're gonna blot your potatoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. The sandwich looks good. It looks restaurant quality.
Speaker 2: Boom, I'll take that. Okay, struggle meal.
Speaker 1: Hm, you need one of these.
Speaker 2: Grease is good for you. Mm hmm. I told you were from the South. We raised, we raised on grease.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, okay, here we go. Let's try your sandwich.
Speaker 2: You want me to try to eat it? Yeah, I know it's awesome. What whoa turn that around? Show them it.
Speaker 1: Looks like a gourmet sandwich, guys, Gormet.
Speaker 2: It's a great sandwich because it's not a sandwich. Damn bad dammich.
Speaker 1: The bacon tastes so good. I will say this. I love the way you handled your cheese, right, I love bacon.
Speaker 2: And you tried to smoke me out. You tried to act like I burned.
Speaker 1: That egg was very hard.
Speaker 2: It was great. I didn't burn like I said. I'm not to my own horn or nothing. But I told you, real man, real men know how to cook.
Speaker 1: This is a great sandwich. Great job.
Speaker 2: Make sure you let these people know because and you make sure you let them know that you're not capping too.
Speaker 1: Oh they know.
Speaker 2: I won't. And I'm not, like I said, I'm not bragadocious. I'm not being a jerk. But I told you you did.
Speaker 1: You did. I love your confidence, and you did a great sandwich. You didn't try your own sandwich, did you take a bite of it.
Speaker 2: I was on you. I know it's hitting. This is my own.
Speaker 1: It tastes good. Huh. Yeah, you didn't put mail on it. Well that was for me.
Speaker 2: I don't have to put mail on up.
Speaker 1: It tastes great.
Speaker 2: You didn't need it, you know what I'm saying. Because it's it's season to toast it up to profession. The bacon is what gives it the flavor.
Speaker 1: But you did a great job on the potatoes. Amazing texture.
Speaker 2: Yo, I'm in here getting gassed up.
Speaker 1: You did great. Honestly, you did really great. I'm very impressed.
Speaker 2: Lighting here is real, man. I might hey, I might have to open up a little spot man, a little blue Gordon.
Speaker 1: Ramsley, what advice would you give to your younger self looking.
Speaker 2: At this is supposed to have jelly on it too.
Speaker 1: You know, I just want to side note. I'm not trying to derail us, but I just got this. I've been into like making gourmet sandwiches at home. I call it gormet. But I bought pepper jelly.
Speaker 2: Pepper jam, pepper jam, jelly pepper jam.
Speaker 1: Oh you know about that. I'm in here, man, all right, But let me just tell you something. Sandwiches they're like so good, like everyone who tries them, they're like, yo, you could charge for it.
Speaker 2: So when are you gonna let us taste these sandwich.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna start making them and just show people they're really good. But okay, and.
Speaker 2: Don't try to steal my name either if you do, I mean whatever, just show some love.
Speaker 1: You're hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's a samwich.
Speaker 1: Samwich.
Speaker 2: That's a M M I C H samwich.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't even be eating this bacon.
Speaker 2: Okay, So organic.
Speaker 1: What advice looking back you going through that chapter of battling yourself? What advice would you give to your younger self in the heat of that battle of I should I quit? You know? Am I doing the right thing? Am I failure? What direction am I going? Is this for me? Is that for me? You know? People saying you could burn bridges if you go this way? This way? Like, what advice would you give your your younger self looking back at that chapter?
Speaker 2: I mean, like I said, now, we're in hindsight. Everybody's right. In hindsight, you know, you get to look back and say, ooh, I told you so. But that's also the thing regardless about the choices that you make, and not just me, I'm saying anybody. When you're right, you're wrong, or whatever, it's on you to make it to a point where you can look back and say I told you so, and not so definitely to rub it in people's faces, but to make it right. When you make choices in there wrong, it's on you to make it right. You know, choice is always wrong. People always make bad decisions, but it's on you to make your next decision and do something else that's gonna say, yeah, that was bad and I messed up, but that prepared me for this. Do you understand. So it's not over. It's never over. It's on you just to make the next step or to make your last false step the right one. Cause then you to be like, oh, if I didn't make this wrong step, or if I didn't make mess up here, I would have never ended up here.
Speaker 1: You keep saying that throughout this whole interview. You keep saying like I fell into acting I fell into and I want I wanna go over that.
Speaker 2: I did because again I said, I am from Atlanta. I am from Collie Park, Real, Atlanta, just like you from Brooklyn or up top or wherever the real places or whatever. Basically, and like I told you, no one does this. No one did this in my family. No one does this type of thing around. You know what I'm saying. The streets are there, the other things are there, Rappers are there, you know what I'm saying. Anything but this So when like I, when I say I fell into it, it's because it was never on my radar. It's not like something like, yeah, I'm gonna do this and then I'm a plan and get into acting. I just fell into it. And when I say that, and because then when I actually started doing it, I was shunned upon. I was laughed at, I was joked at. I was called a clown, an idiot. You know what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You know, people were saying into it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes yes. Because at that time, like I said, we're in twenty twenty five, now, this was probably twenty twelve or so, you know what I'm saying. When I when I first started, no one was doing that. And like I said, where it progressed and got to but the people around in my community and the people that I dealt with, you know, you don't do this. And when I fell into it. I say that because there was a young lady that I was dealing with at the time. She kept trying to get me to go to acting class with her, and I'm like, do that shit, M, I'm not suremar Moore. You know what I'm saying. I'm not. She like, well, y, you know cause mym like I said, body was on point cause I had been playing ball, you know what I'm saying. And people always used to be like, you should get into acting and modeling. M. And I'm raised by the streets. We don't do that. Yeah, don't let the light skin shit fool you. I got into fights frequently because I had to show you that I wasn't typical light skin man. Yeah, don't play with me, don't try me, you know what I'm saying. So that type of you know, stid, stereotypical yeah situation. So we went to acting class. I mean, she kept trying to get me to go, and she tricked me and made me give her a ride. And while I'm there at the acting class, her name is Navanna Rose and it was called Real Actors Raw, Real Actors Workshop, you know, in Atlanta, and she was like, get up, No one sits an audit to my class. If you gonna be here, you go perform. And I'm like, no, no, no, I'm I'm I'm just her ride and she like, na, get your ass up, I'm dead ass, mister cool man. Okay, you gotta come perform. And we go through the acting class, the little seminar or whatever, had fun, you know whatever, beginning to acting, and then afterwards she was like, come here. She's like, how long have you been doing this? And I'm like, I wasn't playing. I don't do this. I'm not an actor. I'm not a I'm not mister pretty man. Yeah, and she was like, oh wow, I thought you were just blowing us off because you were past this level. You were you were more seasoned mm within the craft. And I'm like, nah, oh. She was like oh wow. She was like, nigga, you tripping and you could be really making a lot of money. And I'm like what She was like, whatever it is. She was like, clearly you got it. And I'm not saying this now to make it. You know what I'm saying. I'm not trying to come off arrogant with it. But that's what she said to me at the time. And I'm like what and she was like, you got the look, you got the body, clearly you have the natural energy for this. Yeah, And I'm like what is she getting at? But whatever? So I'm like, well, fuck it, excuse my French? Can we can we yeah, we can drop but f bahom up in here. So yeah, I'm like, fuck it, I'll come back next week. And I, like I said, and cause there were other girls there, it was different, you know, I'm like, alright, it's a joker, you know whatever, It just something to do. And I just stayed with it. And that little inclination is how I'm here with you today. And how like I said, a joke and an accident became my whole life.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, Wow, you're getting emotional. You look like you're getting emotional.
Speaker 2: It's like that. Yeah, it's definitely.
Speaker 1: So you started showing up to the workshops more.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, no, that's what I'm saying. That's where it started. And at that level. And you're talking about getting emotional because you can't. Everything that you've done, all that you went through, and now you hear and she's crazy. When when when God steps in, you gotta be clairvoyant and open enough to let him step in for you, you know what I'm saying. And and it's crazy because it if I hadn't have kept doing that, what would I have done? What would I have done?
Speaker 1: If you haven't been open?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying, if I didn't stay with the acting shit, yeah and end up here, where would I've been? Where would I have done? We won't know that, but I'm just saying, so many different opportunities. Was there and smoke my homie that was selling dope that's dead now yeah wow, But I've been selling dope man him and fell into the stereotypical Atlanta shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. So it's a level of you know what I'm saying, survival remorse because we hear now and people like oh Blue switched up on us. But that's the point. You have to be able to switch. You have to be able to pivot. You can't keep doing the same things and expect different results. Can't keep kicking it with the same people and expect different things to happen. You have to want more. And like I'm up here with emotional tears now thinking about it, cause I'm grown. I'm grown now, I'm forty years old. I've cried more as a forty year old man. Then I have my time because I'm comfortable with it. Yeah, now to cause now you can go back, like you said, h everybody's right in hindsight, But now you can go back and look at your choices and the times that you were supposed to be in jail, the time that you was supposed to you know, it blows me. Now I'm up here looking looking like strength, no, looking crazy to somebody that like, man, look at this, you'll be a crying But no, like I said, I'm not opposed to it because I know the struggle, I know the story, I know where I came from. I know who didn't make it.
Speaker 1: When you were doing the acting. At what point did you go full time, one hundred percent into acting and how much rhetoric was around you leading up to that point.
Speaker 2: I wasn't trying to do that on here with you. Girl. You put me in there, you put me in and I went from frying you bacon to you having me thinking about it. Like I said, a front not too long. A friend of mine just passed last week, I mean not last week, but what's today t Tuesday. Yeah, I had this weekend, like I said a couple two days ago, I mean this weekend. And like I said that, all of that, it just puts you in a crazy mind state because he's done, his his story is done, his train is done. He's not gonna keep going no more. And he was a part of my life even though his life is done, and he was still a part of my life. So, like I said, talking about me and my blessings and my success and when I'm about to go to tomorrow, fuck me up. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: No, I have to apologize.
Speaker 2: I mean to get into that men ain't supposed to cry.
Speaker 1: I hate that this stereotype has been like ingrained in our in our generations, generation, generations, generation, because to me, I think sometimes I think tears is like a sign of like the healing process kind of sort of you know, I mean to have to pivot, pivoting, I think pivoting is. I think pivoting is one of the hardest things you can do, is to know when it's to stop something and start something new, and then all the self doubt that creeps in, like you said, of giving up on something. I think everyone.
Speaker 2: That's people imagine if I were have listened to all the people that said I was a clown? What is you doing? You ain't know? You gon to be gay? Actors are gay, you know what I'm saying. Just all the things that you know, black people say, you know, stereotypical stuff, Like I said, I went through all that, you know what I mean, And it was.
Speaker 1: You know, so he went through it. But it seems like a lot of your pain comes from like and I've never really used this term before, but like survival's remorse. It's like, now you made it to the other side. Is it like you have this guilt or something that they didn't cross over with you.
Speaker 2: Not about guilt. I'm not guilty because this is me. This is my life. You live for you. Like I said, this is my train, and I got a million more stops to make. That particular person that was talking about his train is done, no smoke to him, But I'm not done. Yeah. I can't crash my train and burn it out because his stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have to keep going. I keep generating, I keep reducing, I keep doing my purpose, my cause, and within that I get to celebrate any and every everybody else who has been a part of my life. Yeah, I celebrate you by me winning and by me being blessed and meet me having these opportunities. So I don't take none of it for granted.
Speaker 1: So take me to your first acting gig that you get, like that very first one that you book after all everyone's nay saying and in your ear, tell me about that first one.
Speaker 2: So that's like I said. So you start and you're just green, you know what I'm saying, Just like anything else, You're just attracted to the lore, same thing to me. Oh man, this is fun, this is new, this is different. But that's just practicing at the class. And then you start auditioning for you know, little not to call them bullshit, but small roles you know, school, college, theater roles that they have to do for school and stuff. Different people just throwing out little roles and stuff. But you still have to audition. Regardless about when you start throwing yourself out the audition, it's still a hundred other people auditioning with you. Yeah, so that's what we're getting at. They start, you know, I'm getting chose, like okay, whoa I booked something? Yeah, you just and then you just want to go perform because you've been practicing in class, working on your craft and doing whatever you just want to perform. It's just like sports. See, and this is the crazy connection. Everything that I learned that's installed and instilled within me from sports goes over and plays into the industry. The dedication, the work, it's all the same, the preparation having this. You know, workout, stay, stay mentally ready, physically in shape, physically ready, spiritually ready, and then they gonna tell you no, and then you have to be ready to get up and do it all over again. Just like sports. You lost, I gotta think, yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta get up and play. Yeah you lost, but you gotta play tomorrow. Yeah you lost, you gotta play next week. That's done. Let's go keep it moving. Same thing with this. You're gonna get told no a million times before you get told yes. Like I said, so you got to have a mental for the tude to even get into this game. Like I said, it's changing now because the game is not the same today twenty five going into twenty six the way it was when I first started. And like I tell my people, I feel like the game evolves like every five years. You know what I'm saying. So when I started, like we said, early twenty ten to twenty twelve, whatever that era, it wasn't the same like when they were working in two thousand and before. No digital, no nothing. Everything was manual. I think you had to like buy a book or something they said, and you had to look to find where the auditions would be at in the weekly paper. Wow, you know what I'm saying. Type shit like that. So but it's still the same thing. It was manual, but you still had to go through that process. And regardless, back to the answer the question, I started getting chose, like oh shit, I got booked and you go do it. So and that's the thing with acting in the industry or whatever. Just like sports, you practice all week, the game is on Sunday, the football game or whatever. You practice in the sport, I mean you practice in the craft acting. Your game is the movie. The game is the production. When you get booked, you know what I'm saying, when you're on set the game, Yeah, when you go to set, that's your game day, So you know what I mean. So that's how it was. I started getting booked, started getting chose, and I'm like, oh shit, I'm booked three projects you know what I'm saying, then you same thing. And regardless that, like you said, it's nothing, it was minute, it was a student film, but they still chose me out of fifty other dudes or other dudes that looked just like me or whatever, you understand. So that's where you build that the confidence and like, okay, maybe I got something here, and then you book something real. Yes, right, so likethless no, Yeah, but at that time it was the game. I booked the game. The game was like, you know, the hottest show out at that time. Yeah, I started booking other things. I booked the game and the other stuff. And I'm like, so then I got paid, you know what I'm saying. So when you get paid and you like, oh shit, I just got paid to come have fun, came to do what I've been doing the you know, practicing, and then but now they actually paid me and I'm getting respected for it. They gave me respect as an actor, and I'm like, oh what fuck this. I'm like, this is what I'm doing now. Now I'm putting all my chips. I'm gambling on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. At this point, though, if you kind of look back you being able to go have some money then allowed you. I would imagine your money management skills are really great.
Speaker 2: Thank you? Are they sure? Yes?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I'm a capricorn. They say capricorns managed money.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, yeah, because in acting you have to manage your money well.
Speaker 2: Right, because it's like I said, it's a game and people see you like, oh, you're on TV, you're a millionaire, and it's not like that. A lot of people you see them there on TV and that was that, and that was the paycheck for that, and now they haven't worked for the rest of the year. Their money ain't came in. It's not like the sports you get paid every week regardless or whatever. You know what I'm saying. You don't get paid until you work. So it's just like I said, the whole industry in the world has a different The reality is one thing and what people think it is is another. You know what I'm saying. It's rough. It's rough, and a lot of people don't survive it. And you understand why so many and he celebs, you know, you'd be like, oh, they're crazy or this or that because it'll tear you down. The game will chew you up and spit you out. It's like being in a relationship with a girl that you love, you madly in love with her, do anything for and shed just be dogging you out, and everybody like, man, why don't you leave that girl alone? And she dog you out all year and you bout the dropper, and then your birthday come around and she go all out for you, give you everything you want. You know it, do everything for you, shows you that she really loves you, and just like that, she got you locked for a whole year again. You know what I'm saying. And that's how the game is. It's vicious. It does not love you. It will chew you up and spit you out. So if you're not mentally strong, one thing about me, because then I got into this shit, like you said, when I started doing it, and like, damn, also, this is what I was supposed to be doing. Everything that I've done prepared me for this acting shit. And I'm like, man, I could have been doing this since I was motherfucker seventeen, eighteen years old. I wouldn't have made it. If I would have had success at eighteen and a young cat. I wouldn't. It would have tought me up because, like I said, your mind, your mental has to be there, and I was established as a man when I got into this shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think one of the things that you said that I feel is very important is the fact that you said five minutes person that's calling.
Speaker 2: Glue, nuh we ad work, don't call me.
Speaker 1: The thing that you said that I think it stands out the most. I think it was kind of like your advice to the younger self is like, you can make a wrong decision, but it's on you to make it a right decision. And I think that's a testament to your whole journey, is like, Okay, maybe there was wrong, maybe there wasn't, but either way, you eventually chose to make the right decision to make it work.
Speaker 2: Right. Yes, ma'am, it's just I feel that the universe rewards your efforts, you know what I mean, God in the universe rewards your efforts. So if you're putting it in, then God in the universe will meet you halfway to give it back to you. Or and then if you're putting effort in something that's not for you, then the universe will show you where you're supposed to be.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: That's why I do things. Genuinely. I do things, and I'm pure about the things I do. I do it with a smile, because the universe will provide.
Speaker 1: Now, what made you go into production the.
Speaker 2: Same things that we're talking about producing, Yeah, the same things that we're talking about. So, like I said, coming up and having success and being blessed and starting to book, and I'm having success as an actor, you know what I mean. But then at the same time, it's so many times that roles that I booked never even happened. I've signed contracts and like you said, when was your oh aha moment? I made it? You know what I'm saying like that, Like, yes, motherfucker, we on sign. I done booked this show and it's coming and you know, and it never even happens. So then that tears you down. You're like, man, I thought I was finna get XYZ five hundred thousand dollars and this and that, and that it's not coming, So then that'll happened, and then you get back to the grind, back to work, and then it happens again and whatever, Like I said, it's a roller coaster, and you have to be able to to stay the wave. Like I said, the wave bill splash on you. You gotta have that's what we're telling you. Gotta have a surfboard. You gotta have a boat. You gotta be able to swim, swim until you can get you know, get in somebody's boat to stay on top of the wave. And it's like that. So working, and then you book and book book like I said, And then I finally other situations all go in my favorite then I link up with Tyler Perry, you know what I mean. And that's a great situation just being able to learn from him mentor from him being the big boss that he is the biggest black man in the game, in the game, in the industry. So to have him as somebody that's a friend, a mentor the boss. So whenever he's talking and he's pouring into me, I'm listening, you know what I'm saying. So it's hard for me to not get into production and what I'm doing after watching him. Okay, this man got ten movies and ten different shows all on at the same time. He got ten different deals with Netflix, Amazon, BT all at the same time. So that's where it comes from. But initially it was already planet when I, like I said, but when I got with him, that's when I knew that's what I was supposed to be doing. But that's where it first started. After those situations and those roles and those opportunities never happened, I knew that I had to put myself in control of what we were doing because at the end of the day, no one is. And just like this, people ask me, Damn blue Man, you good as you're a great actor. Man, you're doing your thing. Why you ain't doing no Marvel movie yet? Like I don't want to be you know what I'm saying, Like I'm turning down Marvel movies and super hero movies Batman and Superman. Do you get what I'm saying. The point is those roles are not available for me. I don't have opportunity to be in Marvel movie. It was one black Marvel man. It was two Chadwick, my big bro. Rest in peace to Chadwick and Michael B. Jordan. Yeah, they got those two roles. You know what I'm saying. It hasn't been much more from that. So the point that I'm making is. We have to create that.
Speaker 1: And I love that. So that's why you went into production.
Speaker 2: We have to create.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the new project at Viral.
Speaker 2: We are currently. The production company is Viral Productions, you know, started by myself and my partner Frank Atkinson. He didn't make it. I told him he could have came and got a sandwich, sich. Yeah, but now he'll pull up later on y'all. But yeah, myself, my partner Frank Viral Productions because early on we were making viral videos.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now we made viral videos, and that's when I created Viral Productions because I'm like, we got millions of people liking what we're the content that we create when we put these videos out and they go viral, you know what I mean. So if I can get a million people to like what I put out, I can also get these people to come watch my movies. It's the same. It's the same thing. So and like I said, then, when I got with Tyler Perry, it just put more gas on that fire of being able to get these things and to have him in support of the culture of more black you know, film creators. It's just it's the time because we have to take control of our narrative. They're not going to tell our stories just like they just drop, you know, a black love story. We have to tell that story. We have to show people what black love really is and what it feels like. That's our job. It's our job to portray us in the light that we want to be seen. Like I said when I was young, you're not seeing us on TV besides being athletes, drug dealers, gang members, you know, in jail, and like I said, we're so much more than that. We have so many more stories to tell besides us being basketball players and jib is that?
Speaker 1: What is that? What one hundred and seventeen years of Hollywood bullshit is about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Most definitely.
Speaker 1: Can you tell our listeners like a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: Like you said once, one hundred and seventeen years of movie bullshit?
Speaker 1: A movie is a movie bullshit.
Speaker 2: I thought it was say, Hollywood bullshit, movie bullshit. That is the actual name. One hundred and seventeen years of movie bullshit. One hundred and seventeen years, you know, since the slavery was abolished, you know what I mean. So that's that's the years but like I said, we've been going through this same thing that I'm talking about right now for one hundred years, being depicted on camera as as slaves being depicted on cameras, ignorant, being depicted on camera as murderer killers, gang members, whatever, with so much more than that. And it's just a film highlighting all the levels of the terrible movie roles that we have been in since like the Gone with the Wind era when they had Ain't you know, she was Ain't your mom and a slave all the way up until this time period, you know.
Speaker 1: But it's comedic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's satires, comedic satire, just you know, putting the spin on it to show all the bullshit that we have gone through within being black in the film industry to get to where we are today.
Speaker 1: I love it, Yeah, I love it. Thought that was very creative.
Speaker 2: We trying, We trying. Like I said, Tyler Perry can't be the only one out here giving y'all movies to watch, you know what I mean. There has to be more black creators and black filmmakers. So I applaud him for, you know, putting the battery in my back and giving me the support. But we have to do that. The film is in film festivals, we're amongst winning awards right now. So we are blessed beyond measure to just be in a situation and the timing is just great. Man, it's our time, like I said, to take recontrol of the black narrative.
Speaker 1: And then where can everybody keep with everything?
Speaker 2: Blue?
Speaker 1: I know you can watch more TV. Go ahead, drop all your drops.
Speaker 2: I don't have no drops. It's just blue. It's just blue. That's it. But no, we're gonna launch more platforms. So, like I said, for the production company, because we have some more situations coming where we're going to have a TV show based off it. Just a reality show following everything that goes with being black in Hollywood and being a black filmmaker. You know what I'm saying, the actor and the filmmaker, the things and the bullshit that we have to go through. But yes, please follow me, support me. We need all the love we can get. It's hard out here to be black in the industry. It's hard to be a black man period, but it's even harder to be a black man in the film industry because they don't want us to win.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think the entertainment business is all you know. But I can attest to like even like just counting on. Hey, this deal will signed, this check is coming in. Yeah, I have a new role. Until the check is big tire in hand, big time. I mean, I pre plan all my checks, by the way, I pre plan all my spending before I get it. But I will say this, until the check is in hand, it's not official.
Speaker 2: No, checks don't count until they are in That's what I say. In the bank. In the bank, because even when it's in your hand, it is still bounced. I've had checks bounce like basketballs.
Speaker 1: I've had a check in my bag for like the last month and a half, and I'm like, girl, you put that in because you badgine. I go to the pose like you because I think they have like ninety days.
Speaker 2: I should probably you better go cast your money.
Speaker 1: But all right, guys, thank you guys for tuning in everything blue Kimbo and the like. Subscribe, follow, share, comment.
Speaker 2: For sure, thank you, thank you, thanks out. I'll make you a sandwich.
Speaker 1: He'll make you a saying I'm gonna finish my sandwich. I'm just gonna remove.
Speaker 2: All the bacon, organic bacon
Speaker 1: Organic, even thank you guys, peace out, see it,