Speaker 1: It's a mediat podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Brody, Randal, Cal Chili, Reva, Tresa and Nate. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing And for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at the average winning score and if it's changed over time. Some folks ask if the show has gotten easier or harder, So this stat might answer that for the first sixty games of Meat Eater Trivia, the average winning score was seven point three to two, and over the last sixty games of Meat Eater Trivia, the average winning score is seven point six to two. It's a point three wrecked answer increase, which is about a five percent raise, So I would say it has not gotten harder or easier. What's going on with these glasses over here? Randall?
Speaker 2: Well, before the game, Chili said he had to go out to his truck to get his glasses so that he looked smarter. Okay, so I had these classes that I found and I thought i'd get these too.
Speaker 1: Oh actually prescription, Uh huh, it might be a backfire. Do you think he looks smarter?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They make me really dizzy when I look through the top, but through the bottom they're not bad.
Speaker 1: They make you look older. I don't know about smarter, though.
Speaker 2: I think they look make me look uncannily like Jeffrey Dahmer.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, I could see that. So for the stat again, a five percent ray, Well, I interrupted it because it was jarred when I looked up. You weren't wearing those five minutes ago. No little treat for the YouTube bodience.
Speaker 2: See Jeffrey doing it on YouTube Mediator Podcast Network YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Josh Dowsey wants to know how many users submitted questions do you get each week? I look back through the inbox and did the math, and we get about one hundred and ten question submitted each week. I use four or five of those in each show, and then I use another four or five for the board game and expansion packs that don't make it into the show. So your chances of having a question used on the show We're in the board game are about nine percent. Use four or five every show. Usually four is the number that I use from listeners, and then I do six of my own. Well, there's one listener question of the week, but then we have other questions that make the cut that don't win the board game signed by the crew. So when you email in a question, you've got about a ten percent chance of having that question you somewhere and getting that credit. Now, for the housekeeping this week, I want to circle back. What's up we now Jeffrey Dahmer has actually entered the room. Yeah, uh, very good. Pass the glasses today now and see what he looks like. Keep going around the room. Sure, yeah, I see that as well. Okay, the Brotherhood of the Traveling Glasses. For housekeeping, I want to circle back to the board game offerings from Meat Eater Trivia this year. A few weeks ago, I told you about our hunting and fishing expansion packs, and how there's a third product coming this fall. So today I'm thrilled to announce the Meat Eater Trivia board game Collector's Edition, holding it in my hand right here, So you should go to YouTube so you see uh Ted and Jeffrey Dahmer and the Meat Eater Trivia Collector's Edition. The Collector's Edition is jam packed with new items. You'll get the entire og board game, plus both expansion packs and one hundred additional questions that are only available in the Collector's Edition for a grand total of thirteen hundred questions. The game also comes with a physical board game for scorekeeping, which Tresta is holding up over here, game tokens that we've we've scattered around the room and those are bigger than fifty cent pieces, and an additional whiteboard and marker. And for my favorite part, the whole thing comes in a custom built Meat Eater Trivia ammo can you can see again right on YouTube. Now this was a prototype, Brody. I noticed you opening it. It will open differently like a traditional AMO can. The next one you got to.
Speaker 3: No one's got a little damp too, is that well?
Speaker 1: It's been traveling around the office so yeah, you could.
Speaker 2: You could.
Speaker 1: You could give her a good dent if you're not careful. I maybe wouldn't plan on storing ammo in here that you're floating down a river with. But you could store ammo in there that sits in your or sits in your gun safe, or you keep the mediat To Trivia Collector's Edition in there.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, it does come with like messy spray paint on there, so yeah, maybe the dents was not organic, came from the factory like that. The Meat Eater Trivia Collector's Edition, Meat Eater Trivia Hunting Expansion Pack and Meat Eater Trivia Fishing Expansion Pack will be available soon.
Speaker 2: Nicely done, Spencer, nicely done.
Speaker 1: I love these tokens. When we were designing, I said, make them bigger than fifty cent pieces, and somebody should have told me, no, they didn't. They just actually executed them that way, and now they are enormous. These are the biggest game pieces you'll find uh anywhere on the market. M coming very soon, coming this fall. Now, the Shelby Index for today is a five, so I'm putting us on perfect score alert and with that we're onto the game. Of trivia, play the drop phill. Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 2: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 3: Gamon Suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is public lands. This first great question is via Eric Jennings, and as always, it will be multiple choice. Which state contains the most miles of the Appalachian Trail? Is it Virginia, New York, Georgia or New Hampshire? Randle with a very quick answer. It's almost as though he didn't even need the multiple choice question and choices.
Speaker 2: I benefited indeed from the.
Speaker 1: Choices Virginia, New York, Georgia, New Hampshire. Which state contains the most miles of the Appalachian Trail? Nate, you know this one.
Speaker 4: I've got down to two.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody through hike the Appalaschian Trail here?
Speaker 3: No, I've had a job.
Speaker 2: So we could really uncover something interesting.
Speaker 3: Through Hikers are strange people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, It's like they.
Speaker 3: Don't get it, just sit there and enjoy nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going through.
Speaker 1: I'm glad they exist, though I like they're.
Speaker 3: They're bumped into quite a few in the bob.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for which state contains the most miles of the Appalachian Trail Virginia, New York, Georgia, New Hampshire. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili saying Virginia. Tresa says Virginia, Riva, Virginia, Randall, New York, cal New York, Nate, New York, Brody, New York. One of the two groups in the room is right. It is either New York or Virginia. Probably the correct answer is Virginia. Oh, Chili, Tressa and Reevo got that one right. The Appalachian Trail passes through fourteen states. There are five hundred and fifty miles of trail in Virginia, which is nearly double that of second place Tennessee with two hundred ninety three miles of trail. That's followed by Maine at two hundred eighty one miles, Pennsylvania at two hundred twenty nine miles, New Hampshire at one hundred and sixty one miles, and Vermont at one hundred and fifty miles. West Virginia has the least amount of trail, with just four miles. Question two the topic is hunting this dog, which is Mickey Mouse's pet has hunted moose and quail in Disney cartoons. This dog, which is Mickey Mouse's pet, has hunted moose and quail in Disney cartoons. Randall, Nate, and Call appear to know this one. Reva, Tresta, Chili not.
Speaker 2: Best Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 1: Lot of Mickey Mouse when My boys were little? Did okay?
Speaker 3: Mickey Mouse on South Park.
Speaker 5: The Jonas Brothers episode, Yes God, that was fantastic.
Speaker 1: In the Star Wars episode as well.
Speaker 2: The Imagination Land three part feature Oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, The copyright has now expired on the og Mickey Mouse, and it's about to expire on some other characters as well. Is this like a name or type of type of dog? We're looking for a name proper now? And here this dog, which is Mickey Mouse's pet has hunted moose and quail in Disney cartoons, not recent cartoons. So uh, we'll talk about it in the follow up factor it waiting on Tresa and Chili. Are you two going to come up with an answer?
Speaker 2: I didn't even know you imagine.
Speaker 1: We could. We could clear out for two minutes and let you sing there, Rand if you'd like, Are we ready go ahead and reveal your answers Chili and Tressa without an answer. Va says own dog. Randall says goofy, to which Nate said, he does not own goofy. Cal says Pluto, Nate says Pluto. Brody says goofy. The correct answer. It's Pluto and Nate got that one right, and that's correct. He does not own goofy. And Goofy is also not technically a dog. He's just identified as a Canine's the distinction, Well, if you look up, I think some people think he's a cow, some people think he's a dog, But if you look up what he actually is, it just says canine, whereas Pluto, it says Pluto is a dog.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Pluto's first ever appearance is in a nineteen thirty one seven minute video where he and Mickey are moose hunting. His next hunt would come eight years later in a video called The Pointer, where Mickey tries to teach Pluto how to flush game. In that video, Mickey promises Pluto that if they're successful, Mickey will cook quote quail on toast and maybe a nice, big, juicy bear steak. The early versions of Pluto had him drawn as a bloodhound, but was later changed to a generic mixed breed dog.
Speaker 2: Sobering beginning to our contest here.
Speaker 1: So much for that perfect game. Perfect game in the room, and we have Randall and Brody over two. Question three, The topic is cooking in this next great question is via Ali Spangler. The spruce eat defines this culinary word as quote, melting and clarifying hard animal fat for cooking purposes. The spruce eats defines this culinary word as melting and clarifying hard animal fat for cooking purposes. Fill to your kids enjoy Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 4: Uh not really.
Speaker 5: They never really got into the whole Mickey Mouse thing. But Disney has had some like really some modern Mickey Mouse cartoons that are in the front right. No, that's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Speaker 4: That's kind of that. That's a toddler show.
Speaker 5: There's a more recent like animated short sort of series that are really clever and honest, like hilarious. And there is a more recent Christmas special with Pluto that I think was done in the eighties where man, he really wants to eat Chip and Dale and here that's great. He trees them at one point and it's it's not I wouldn't say it's hunting, but it's it's it's hunting related.
Speaker 1: You know, there's some dark conspiracies around, like Pluto behaves like a dog and doesn't talk right, but Goofy is a canine who does talk, and like some participations of intelligent society. Yes, like, uh, Goofy has a soul, but Pluto does not. And what happened there between the two? And we're on question three. The spruce Eats defines this culinary word as melting and clarifying hard animal fat for cooking purposes. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili and Tresa and Reva. The entire room said render or rendering and they got it correct. Answer is render or rendering, Thanks Clay. You can render the fat of basically any game animal, from turkey to deer to duck. During the rendering process, you remove any water or debris from the fat via cooking and straining. To learn the steps of rendering, read Daniel Pruitt's article in the medieater dot com called what to do with wild Game At question four, The topic is conservation. Name one of the name one of Texas's two national parks. Is question four? Name one of Texas's two national parks. Brody and Randall appear confident the rest of the river. It's not come up with an answer yet. Could you do both of them if you had to? Brody, I'm not sure about the second. Okay, how about yeah, I don't want to talk more. Do you know both?
Speaker 2: I feel very confident about one, less confident about the other.
Speaker 1: Name one of Texas's two national parks.
Speaker 2: Shot.
Speaker 1: The room is fairly stumped. We're going to have a pretty even game after question five. But this is question four. Name one of Texas's two national parks.
Speaker 3: See Randy marsh And and Mickey and the Wuhan Bat.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yes, that's I.
Speaker 3: Mean, that's I mean if your kids don't like original Mickey point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that Mickey uh also lacks his soul.
Speaker 3: I would say for sure he's.
Speaker 1: Got dead eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Still enjoy Nate's correction of Randall. That Goofy is not owned, but nicky.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like to learn something every day I come in here, so.
Speaker 1: I'd like to watch the show though, thinking of that dynamic Goofy being the pet dog of Mickey. Name one of Texas's two national parks. Folks are struggling to come up with an answer. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have chili without an answer. Tressa says Petrified Forest, which is in Arizona and a National park Riva. Without an answer. Randall says Big Bend. Cal says I'd say Great Bend.
Speaker 3: I wrote big Band, but then I was like, it's a great band and I can't remember great.
Speaker 1: Great Top Bend, Nate says Sam Houston. Brody says Big Bend. The correct answer is Big Bend or what would be your second guest, Brody, Great Bend. I think it's not a national park, but I was going to say Padre Island and that rand what do you think? The second one is?
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, Padre Island. I don't know. It's escaping Big Bend.
Speaker 1: And Guadaloupe.
Speaker 2: That was an answer on here at one point, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I don't. I'm sure we've referenced it before, but I don't think it's better an answer. Both National parks are located in West Texas and are known for their mountains. Guadaloupe Mountains contains the highest point in Texas at eight thousand, seven hundred and fifty one feet in elevation, and Big Bend is the only national park in America that contains an entire mountain range. Question five, the topic is biology.
Speaker 3: And bids a big block.
Speaker 1: There you go. What happened with the answer on that one? I don't think he gets that one right, Great Big Bend, Great Bend to start some ship.
Speaker 3: I've sat there and stared into.
Speaker 2: It's hunting season, so Cal's feeling less fiery today. He wanted to get.
Speaker 3: Out question five the top somebody at noon on a Friday. Listen.
Speaker 1: It's hard to schedule this time of year because half the company is in Venice, Louisiana next week. So we had to fit this one in while we could. Question five topic is biology, and this next great question is via Christy Holmes. This nine letter word is defined as quote the hardened outer protectively of a pupa of a butterfly. This nine letter word is defined as the hardened outer protective layer of a pupa of a butterfly. Brody has his answer complete. The rest of the room is making their Hangman dashes. Nate, you have this one right, full time, Nate, over here, Nate, you are I think probably the first meat eater intern to turn full time employee. Maybe I shouldn't say, but I think we've only had like five interns ever, so there haven't been much competition. But the first intern turn full time employee and soon to be trivia champion, that's right, right word some good performances lately. This nine letter word is defined as the hardened outer protective layer of a pupa today one a butterfly.
Speaker 4: I'm at like four three. I'm tied for first right now.
Speaker 1: Phil put up two fingers in the one.
Speaker 4: I kind of want to pipe in here.
Speaker 5: I know we normally do the score check up after question five. Everyone's tied for first. Everyone on the room has two points right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe separated here on question five.
Speaker 3: This is killing, man.
Speaker 1: I know this the hardened outer protective layer of a pupa of a butterfly. Nate and Brodie are the only two with any confidence. Randall, is it? There? Is it on the tip of your tongue?
Speaker 2: I feel like I know the noises. Okay, so I'm trying to come up with a word that I'm trying to just go through the syllables in my head. I'm gonna go with this. I don't think it's a word.
Speaker 1: Oh Chili, Tressa, Reva, are you going to come up with an answer? Okay? Do you have a right answer?
Speaker 4: Eva?
Speaker 1: I mean okay, Cal, do you give up?
Speaker 4: Sure? Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Your answers. We have chili without an answer. Tressa says cocoon, Reva says cacophony, Randall says crystalis, Cal says set, Nate says Chrystalis, and Brody says Chris. Answer up. The correct answer is chrysalis, which I don't know, but I don't think so.
Speaker 2: That's real close for a hardened protective.
Speaker 1: Lets you spell it for you, and you tell me how many letters you have right, C h R, Y S A L I S.
Speaker 2: I have heard you tell he's on the show upwards of dozens. Spelling does not count.
Speaker 3: But when you're not Randall, what you wrote down is the name of a young lady who's lost away and dances from.
Speaker 1: I would say, if you only have fifty percent of the right letters, uh, that's all of the syllables, just with a T in the middle, which I think it's like Phil chimed in pretty quick I don't know. I'm gonna I'm gonna go with Phil on this.
Speaker 3: Phil, did you jump in so quick?
Speaker 4: I mean you have a T. If you're throwing in a constant, it changes the game completely.
Speaker 2: Crystalis crystals.
Speaker 5: That's not simply simply misspelling ripen about how filthy your table is.
Speaker 1: But now I'm not because he did the right thing.
Speaker 2: It's like that scene and gets smart when he's trying to say the dude's name. Not even close.
Speaker 1: We're not going to give Randall the point on that one answer.
Speaker 2: I think that's about as damn close as you can get. Close does not apply.
Speaker 1: The tea was a large problem.
Speaker 5: If you've put a K instead of a C, that would be I'd be different.
Speaker 2: But I was moving things around a lot because initially I spelled it with a C h R, and then I had like I had eleven letters at first, and so I just started cutting letters.
Speaker 1: Wow, Phil, give us a score update.
Speaker 4: Oh that's kind of you.
Speaker 2: Randal in my chair of power.
Speaker 5: Let's see, we've got Chili, Trussa, Reva, Randall and col All with two points.
Speaker 3: This is crazy game.
Speaker 5: Nate and Brody just one point more than than they've got three, they're tied up in first place.
Speaker 4: Game.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna have a perfect game, but we will have a good game. Question six. The topic is fishing. This fishing gear subscription company has shipped eleven million boxes since its creation in twenty twelve. Chili, quickest to answer question six. This fishing gear subscription company has shipped eleven million boxes since its creation in twenty twelve. God see ads for this stupid thing. All the time I've been giving all too fast.
Speaker 3: I thought the whole box subscription thing kind of didn't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: I think it hit its climax during COVID and is coming down ever since then.
Speaker 6: I still get emails if it's the box I'm thinking of. There's some interesting information I found out over the weekend about it.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what's her name?
Speaker 2: Yea?
Speaker 3: Was that an interesting bit of information?
Speaker 4: I can tell you.
Speaker 6: But you know we're tired, right, This fishing.
Speaker 1: Gear subscription company has shipped eleven million boxes since its creation in twenty twelve. Trusty, do you have this one right? I know it is a fishing gear subscription Okay, but it might.
Speaker 3: Be I gave one of these to my nephew, and was you know, I dropped stuff off and then don't ever ask about it again. But I was pretty excited to see, you know, what he would get and how excited he would be lost the entire box.
Speaker 1: Oh like like fishing or just like in the just.
Speaker 3: Like who knows?
Speaker 1: Oah, yeah, who knows. I think these exist to be given to nephews.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never understood the subscription box thing because it's like it's for people who want to spend money but don't know what they want to spend their money on.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the other value is like, say it's a ten dollars subscription, they guarantee fifty dollars in gears.
Speaker 2: Oh see that so correct. Gosh, that does sound like a good deal. How are we doing over there, Buddie?
Speaker 1: Everybody ready?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're looking flustered.
Speaker 5: I love when someone who never waits like.
Speaker 3: That's the only that's the only angle I have. Yeah, you need to earn the Brody. Okay, that's what he's saying.
Speaker 1: Do you have Okay?
Speaker 3: This gets given in our White Elephant every year, the same box.
Speaker 1: So Nate and Brody are not confident. This is going to make it a tighter game.
Speaker 3: Like confident, I'm pretty sure box is in the name.
Speaker 2: Just don't add a tea. Don't add a tea?
Speaker 1: Boys, All right, do we give up yet? Crystal, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili saying Rapaula. Tresa says Yakota, Reva says Angler's anonymous. Randall says fly box. Cal says mystery tackle box. Nate says angler box. Brody says lure box. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Mystery tackle Box. Cal got that.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: A Mystery tackle Box subscription ranges from twenty dollars a month to forty dollars a month, with pursuit specific boxes for bass, panfish, trout, walleye, and saltwater Stream declared the box is the best way to test out new baits. Question, Jilli, he got that one wrong with Rapaula, And what would you like to share about Rapaula that you learned? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't uh we uh.
Speaker 6: It's the guy that works with us or not works out. He's done some stuff for us, Casey Underwood. I don't know if I don't know, I don't know if this is factual. I don't know if like this is actual like legit. But Casey is known for making stickers and drawings of fish birds, really great art, very great art.
Speaker 3: Local to some public land creator coffee mug that he's doing with the peas squoil forever.
Speaker 1: Yes, he does.
Speaker 2: He just I think they just dropped it not too long ago.
Speaker 6: But anyways, he was I think he was walking around and Rapp had like a box, a fishing box, and they had it was for small mouth and large archmouth bast and they used his sticker. Well, they have his art, have his art on their box. And Casey went on his Instagram posted about it. Yeah, Rapper like what the hell or some ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the biggest vision companies in the world, according I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I texted him to do something and he goes, yeah, I should.
Speaker 1: This is all happened in like the last three days.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the story. There's more to be told.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Question seven the time of his conservation. This is our listener Question of the Week, which was won by Terry DuPont for sending this great question. Terry is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the Listener Question of the Week, then send your question to trivia at the Meat Eater dot com. This author has written twenty five novels about the fictional game boarden Joe Pickett. Hell Randall has this one right, Nate and cal I. Just Randall has reclaimed the glasses and just like that, I had to change the energy in the room. The topic is conservation on question seven. This author has written twenty five novels about the fictional game warden Joe Pickett. Have you read any of these books? Randall? We had him on the podcasts yet to be said.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, Buddy. Mine just got checked by a Wyoming game warden and had it was they were they put this big long stock on a bowl way in the wilderness and shop the ball. It's his cousin's first six point ever. He's super excited. He's like, hey, validate your tag and he stopped and did that and he's like yeah. Like twenty minutes later, here comes this lone dude hiking up to us and just had very favorable things to say about the game warden. Like he was like the guy obviously loved his job. He was super respectful of our hunt. He sat there. We had no idea it was there, watched the whole deal, stayed way out of the way, waited until everything was was over, and then he came up and said hi. And he had tied his horse up a long way away and hiked a long way to get in there and stuff, and so it was.
Speaker 2: A good deal.
Speaker 1: I've never read one of the books about the fictional game more than Jill Pickett. But he's never in an ordinary situation like that, you know, he's like dealing with an oil tycoon or a serial poacher who shot the world record moose.
Speaker 3: Well, if you ever get a hankering to read one of the books, it doesn't take long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read, Yeah, I read.
Speaker 4: A few.
Speaker 2: I think I just read a few excerpts. I checked a few books out from the library in preparation for the podcast, just to get a good feel for it.
Speaker 1: Brody, have you come up with an answer?
Speaker 2: I can't apologie, I can't see it. I can't say anything else. I mean, he was a he was a wonderful man. I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: Warner Brody has now gendered him as well, said he's a man, and he was on the Mead Theater podcast. But he still can't come up with a name.
Speaker 2: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili without an answer and revo without an answer. Tressa says John Grisham. Randall says c J Box, Cal CJ Box, Nate, CJ Box, Brody, Tjox. I couldn't get.
Speaker 4: Shouldn't I knew.
Speaker 1: It was initials, just as the correct answer is. Cjbox Box describes the wyoming game warden Joe Pickett as quote in every Man Hero with a Pensiant for stepping into trouble. A TV series about Picket was created by Paramount in twenty twenty one, but was canceled after two seasons. For more on the book series, listen to episode five twenty five the Meat Eater Podcast, where CJ Box was a guest. Question eight the topic is cooking. Southern Living magazine describes this baked dish as a pan of ground meat and vegetables that's covered with a layer of mashed potatoes. Southern Living magazine describes this baked dish as a pan of ground meat and vegetables that's covered with a layer of mashed potatoes.
Speaker 3: And then you had turned the page for the gravy recipe because of Southern Live.
Speaker 1: That's right. I think every edition of their magazine probably has to come with a gravy recipe. At the room looks confident except for Brody Andriva. Southern Living magazine describes this baked dish as a pan of ground meat and vegetables that's covered with a layer of mashed potatoes.
Speaker 3: This definitely exists in Iowa, Juliet. I've made it like last year.
Speaker 2: Is going to return your wink, But in these glasses, I thought I might just pass out. I has overloaded at the moment.
Speaker 1: Iowa has the Caucaus castrole that they make because they always get to be the first state that votes in the Caucaus.
Speaker 2: I feel like, if you were to.
Speaker 1: What's in the caucas castrole, I think it's like more of a fictional dish than a real dish. It's kind of whatever you want it to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just making a castrole hot dish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: I feel like if you were to change or just the way you describe the potatoes in this question, you could have a completely different dish.
Speaker 1: But that's why we say it's a layer of mashed potatoes. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili and Tresa saying Shepherd's pie, Riva without an answer, Randall cal and Nate saying Shepherd's pie, Brody without an answer. The correct answer is shepherd's pie or cottage pie. It's believed that this dish was created in Ireland or England as a way to repackage leftovers from a Sunday roast. Danielle Prue it has a venison shepherd's pie recipe in her new cookbook Wild and Whole, which is out right now. She says that dish from page seventy eight of the book is one of her favorite meals. Break cold day and we actually had a little snap food today. Phil came in and he says, I'm about to eat lunch, but just so you know, I brought a Shepherd's Pie in today. And Phil did not know that this question exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the non hot dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Brody declared that the studio smelled like hot dogs and he felt it.
Speaker 2: Phil covered his tracks by claiming it was a sad I was.
Speaker 1: Trying to throw. I didn't even I didn't want Phil to have the opportunity to say shepherd's pie.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was.
Speaker 2: Odd that you just pulled out and it caught my ear.
Speaker 1: I panicked.
Speaker 3: This is like one of the two things my dad could make, so growing up, was it good? But see he would he would call it hamburger gravy because it was shepherd's pie inverted. So oh yeah, yeah, like instant mashed potatoes. Oh wow, frozen baggies. Oh, I ate a ton of it right now.
Speaker 1: Left leg is made out of it. Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Uh Reva is the only person who is not in the game anymore. But we've got Chili Tressam Brody with three points. Randall Williams has four now tied up for first place. Ryan Callahan and Nate the not intern they've got five.
Speaker 3: Question ninebody, do you think you'd be taken out by Shepherd's pie? That was the way you're going down today?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: The topic is hunting. Win Chester Day ibued this round in twenty nineteen, calling it quote the fastest straight walled hunting cartridge in the world. Randal with an answer before I even finished the question. This is number nine the topic is hunting. Win Chester debuted this round in twenty nineteen, calling it the fastest straight waled hunting cartridge in the world.
Speaker 3: I was at shot show and shot this thing arranged in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you remember what it is at all? Randall? Do you own one of these?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Is that going to be too much of a hint if you do.
Speaker 2: I do not have. I've moved on for my straight walled days. Headed West became a bottleneck man.
Speaker 1: Okay. But when we talked last of the time, when we talked about where we'd want to own a hunting property, did you not pick a straight walled state or no?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 2: I did Kentucky?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, they also allow center fires there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I guess Kentuck. He isn't a straight wall state. I just killed deer with a straight wall there. But Indiana is a straight wall state. Ohio became a straight wall state after I left. When I was there, it was all slugs and muzzleoders.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wrote down the straight wall cartridge that this came out to beat, because it's the only straight wall cartridge.
Speaker 4: I can remember.
Speaker 1: I'm fixing to maybe hont Illinois or I will here. Oh yeah, so I can. Then I have an excuse to get a straight walled cartridge.
Speaker 3: You just bring your shotgun out there.
Speaker 1: I could, but or I could just get a new gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good excuse to get a forty five seventy.
Speaker 1: When Chester debut this round in twenty nineteen, calling it the fastest straight walled hunting cartridge in the world, Brody, how do you feel about your answer? You know, maybe okay, maybe it's everybody ready, Nate, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 2: I think I'm one character off.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have also also when they're running, because that's your Shelby could win this one and she'd be tied up in the lead with it.
Speaker 3: Now, can I ask a question?
Speaker 1: Are you looking for? How do I ask?
Speaker 2: It's a proprietary cartridge. It's very straightforward.
Speaker 1: I'm not talking to you. Yeah, I'll tell you like that, Like, the answer is not the answer is not thirty odd six, but you would write down thirty odd six if that was the answer.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like, I can't forgeteah, Like if their answer was two twenty three, you would write down two twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have chili without an answer. Tresta says three oh eight Riva without an answer. Randall says three point fifty legend. Cal says bush Master, Nate says three fifty legend. Brody says three fifty legend. They got it. The correct answer is three fifty legends, So would you accept it? Three fifty is.
Speaker 4: What I'm no.
Speaker 3: That's because is because it's three fifty bush Master too.
Speaker 2: I can remember this three fifty or four to fifty legend.
Speaker 1: The three fifty legend has more energy than a thirty thirty Winchester and less recoil than a two forty three. Since its inception, the three fifty legend has become one of the most popular rounds for deer hunters and states that only allow straight walled cartridges. To see how it stacks up against its predecessor. Jordan Siller's article on the mediater dot com called caliber Battle thirty thirty Winchester versus three fifty Legend. Here's a correct answer review so far. One was Virginia two, Pluto three Render four Guadalupe Mountains or Big Bend five Chrysalis six Mystery tackle Box seven, CJ Box eight, Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie number nine three fifty Legend Phil give us a scoreboard update with one question to go.
Speaker 5: Hmm oh man, I'd say it's still uh anybody's game by anybody?
Speaker 4: I mean Randall, call or Nate.
Speaker 3: Are tied up with five and Nate pulled ahead.
Speaker 5: He's got six points one time.
Speaker 1: All Question ten. The topic is wildlife. The National Audobond Society believes that sightings of this West Virginia cryptid are actually an owl. The room is stumped, Brody going to his whiteboard as well as Randall. Now you know the National Audobond Society believes that sightings of this West Virginia cryptid are actually an owl. Nate, do you have any chance of getting this one right?
Speaker 4: Got a chance?
Speaker 1: Okay? Do you have an answer? Is no, I'm not going to tell you what a crypti it is unless another player would like to help you out, but I'm guessing they don't want to give any hints.
Speaker 2: You already got order, got answer?
Speaker 1: Do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Randall?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, Brody, how do you feel about your answer? I don't have very many Yeah, in your rolodex. Reva thinks she knows this one. The National Audibond Society believes that sightings of this West Virginia cryptid are actually an owl. We have Nate with a one point lead over Randall and Cal and with a blank whiteboard for Nate. We are fixing to go to overtime. He said he has an answer, but it's in his mind. We're gonna we're gonna need that to wind up on the white board pretty soon. Phil, What have you gotten this one? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I knew you would.
Speaker 2: And I know why.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't know why. You know that he would know why? So maybe you can tell us after.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, i'd love to know, Fiel, do you know why r knows why? I have no idea to find out.
Speaker 1: Cal, do you give up?
Speaker 3: I wrote something down?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you get it, But go ahead and reveal your answers. We have chili without an answer, Tresa says, Yetti removed says moth Man. Randall, moth Man, cal ivorybuild Woodpecker, Nate, Dragon, Brodie, moth Man. The correct answer is Mothman, meaning Randall got it right, and him and Nate are going to overtime.
Speaker 3: So the movie, which was a fun movie.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun.
Speaker 1: What is cryptid that's like bigfoots?
Speaker 2: Like a cryptozoologist studies animals that don't.
Speaker 3: Mockness like the crypto just or like studies animals that did exist.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, a cryptozool just studies animals that don't exist. They probably like a cryptogenetic stroke is a stroke of an unknown cause.
Speaker 1: They're probably studying an animal that's real, thinking it's you know, oh, I got bigfoot hair here, but it's actually from a domestic cat. That kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's like a mystery.
Speaker 3: It's good jobs.
Speaker 1: You can get a degree in cryptozoology. Oh, there's guarantee there are like underglad undergrad classes for it, but maybe not degree.
Speaker 2: I bet you could get on a web browser and have a degree in crypt.
Speaker 3: Like every lock Nest show has a cryptozoo.
Speaker 2: Or have a museum exhibit about it.
Speaker 1: There were more than one hundred reported sightings of mothman between November nineteen sixty six and December nineteen sixty seven near Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Witnesses described the winged creature as being tall and muscular, with glowing red eyes. Some believe that seeing Mothman is a bad omen because of its connection to the Silver Bridge collapse in nineteen sixty seven. Locals reportedly saw the creature flying over the bridge before it fell into the Ohio River and killed forty six people. Now, Randa, why do you know that Phil.
Speaker 2: From the Mothman prophecies? I just assumed that Phil is a a fellow cinemaphile.
Speaker 4: No, I was just into really like weird spooky creatures.
Speaker 2: Because they draw it a lot in that the Bridge disasters reference to that film. And then I just remember laughing at the drawings. But I don't recall who's starred in it.
Speaker 1: We'll never know. So we do it after this, we're going to overtime.
Speaker 7: It was important to you, British dude, how they just cut it at if you ain't burst your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny, it was. It was Richard Gear. Yeah, it's gonna pull up the IMDb while we.
Speaker 2: Do the I always get it confused with the butterfly effect. But that's Ethan Sup. He's looking great these days. Oh he is trim at boxing.
Speaker 1: The overtime time topic is hunting, and this is a numerical question. So whoever is closest between Randall and Nate will be declared the winner. But the rest of the room is going to participate and come up with an answer, because if somebody gets it right on the nose, meat Eater will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. Here's the tie breaking question, how many states have a moose hunting season? How many states have a moose hunting season? Nate is openly Okay, there's he's hit his whiteboard. He was listing these states for all to see. Phil have you seen the Mothmann Chronicles Prophecies?
Speaker 4: It was one of those.
Speaker 5: It was one of those movies that i'd see on a blockbuster shelf, like you know, in the early two thousands, and because it's got a very kind of striking box, and I would always wonder what that movie's about.
Speaker 1: Mm, yeah, now you.
Speaker 4: Know, Now I know. It's Richard Gear and Laura Lennie Laura Lenny.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jurassic Park, doctor Ellie Sadler. That's a paleobotanist.
Speaker 4: Is Laura Lenny?
Speaker 2: And no, no, I always get her confused. She's yeah, she's to Laura's the Blondes. Yea Laura Lennie's in Congo.
Speaker 1: How many states have a moose hunting season? Mm hmm, Chili, you got an answer?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, trust the rev. You got answers, and if somebody gets it right on the nose, meat eaters generous enough to make it a six hundred dollars donation instead of a five hundred dollars donation.
Speaker 6: A little unknown fact about the donations that you are not aware of.
Speaker 2: Okay, So since we.
Speaker 6: Pay when we the donation gets rided through my card.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I get about it.
Speaker 1: I'm always glad that when I reminded that.
Speaker 6: As a credit cards is going through the room right now, company credit card. But I get about I'd say close to one hundred letters a month from all these organizations.
Speaker 4: That we don't like.
Speaker 1: It's like thank you, Chili.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like, thank you for your contributation.
Speaker 2: Austin.
Speaker 6: I'm like, so I'm so generous building bridges with a lot of people right.
Speaker 1: Now, Randall, do you have an answer? I do, Nate, do you have an answer? Is everybody ready? Cal are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili saying seven, Tresa says three, Riva says five, Cal says ten, Brody says eight, and our two players remaining, we have Nate saying eight, Randall saying thirteen.
Speaker 3: Eight is not correct.
Speaker 1: One of you has it right on the nose. I mean this will be a six hundred dollars donation. The correct answer it's thirteen, making rand alur winter, did you have the right thirteen as well? Here they are. The thirteen states are Alaska, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and Nevada. Minnesota also has a moose hunting season that's only for tribal members, so they're counting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had Minnesota instead of Nevada.
Speaker 1: Well that was part of the thirteen.
Speaker 2: Oh I see where did I get it wrong?
Speaker 1: Then doesn't matter you had.
Speaker 3: I'm not concerned about Spencer.
Speaker 4: He had.
Speaker 1: Couldn't let Nates have his first serious.
Speaker 2: Oh God, best, best belated birthday present.
Speaker 5: He was a simple caterpillar who went into his crystalis and became a buddy.
Speaker 1: Randall. Where is the six hundred dollars donation? From you and me Eater going to go.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to give it to the Montana Wild Sheep Foundation. They are currently working on a land acquisition project and they I got an email the other day that they had a certain target him out there looking to raise I believe it's some land outside Anaconda, some some lambing ground, and so I'd like it to go there and support that work.
Speaker 1: I imagine that'll benefit more than just some sheep. Indeed, six hundred dollars going there from Randall and meat Eater, I think that's a new group for us to donate.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones.
Speaker 3: He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur