Speaker 1: Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Hole Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Bonus Hour of the Drives So good evening, Stealer Nation, how we doing well? That's good us too. It is our number three, our final hour of the drive today, our final hour of nine straight hours that we'll be doing here on campus every single day that the Steelers, quite the line up have practice. It is it's a it's a it's a big lift. And there's obviously a lot of people that play into into these crazy couple of weeks and we're thankful for all the efforts that it takes to get this done. Matt, real quick before we go to the tweets here to start our number three, like we will continue to do over the next couple of weeks. It's just mere to you can tell that. I'm in the process of remodeling the basement and the master bathroom. I just noticed this. They put down new flooring in here this year, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think I noticed it when I used the restroom, like it has a different feeling here, and I think it's the flooring. Yeah, it's those. All kinds of changes at viny.
Speaker 2: There really are there. There's usually one or two every year, but it feels like about five or six this year, and so far, so good. Let's get to us some of the tweets here. You always know you can get it Matt and I about any Steelers topics, football topics, food topics, whatever. Listen if you want to know our favorite type of vinyl lamin at flooring here. If you're remodeling a house, we might have some thoughts on that too. This is a good one from Pittsburgh Conversation Matt. He says, what's more important to figure out by the end of training who fits where in the secondary, how all those pieces work together, or who is the wide receiver three?
Speaker 3: Ooh, wide receiver three. I'm pretty confident that they know what the secondary is. I think that every snap, you know, barring injury, of course, Porter and Dean are gonna be outside the numbers, and they're gonna play a lot more press, and they're gonna be big and do that stuff and not move much. They'll probably be left right. I don't know that for sure. Maybe Porter, Falo Higgins or Chage whatever whatever, and Ramsey's gonna be your big nickel slot star, dime linebacker, all those things, and they're gonna basically live in nickel with two strong safety types in Brisker and Elliott that are semi interchangeable. I don't think it'll be a free strong situation where one's always in the deep middle or anything of that nature. I think they can kind of do both things, although neither one's really a free safety, So I think that's what you're gonna see a high percentage of the time. I think they're going to try to avoid base with four defensive backs. But I bet when they are, Brisker comes off the field and they become a little more free strong with Ramsey as the free and go from there. I don't know how much dime they'll play, Probably not much. The league's starting to drift away from dime. But I also think Echos would be your backup slot. I think Samuel probably backs up both outside guys. I would think you want a red shirt Everett break Glass in case you have to. But one wild card is I wonder what Savage. Savage is another guy I really want to watch here, Like, I don't think he'll be in the starting mix, but I wonder if he can do some of the Ramsey star position stuff, you know, where the third receiver to me is basically a starter and we don't know who he is. Yeah, you know, I think it's an easy answer.
Speaker 2: I think here. I think you're spot on there. And yeah, man, I totally forgot about Savage Factory and the equation too.
Speaker 3: See two until about an hour ago, and I or when we were watching practice and like, what number is he?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 3: I wonder what they're gonna do with them?
Speaker 2: Jeff, that's funny. We got a lot a lot of questions about the secondary today on the tweets. Jeff says, was there anything to be learned from practice today on how they will align the safeties and the secondary in general? Not really, Jeff, because especially because no JP if if you potentially missed it earlier, anything for any of our listeners Joey Porter Junior and Jalen Ramsey both on the pup List, and so we're not active in practice today. So without those two key pieces, yeah, it's gonna it's gonna take a little time.
Speaker 3: Again, I didn't study it, but my very my educated opinion that I feel pretty strong about is with those three corners on pop not that camp would be in the top two. I would think the starters today would be Dean and Asante, Samuel on the outside, Eccles as your slot, and with these guys being out, it's probably more reps for Everett too, you know what I mean. Like, I'm sure this is one thing we didn't talk about in the first hour, about McCarthy's priorities and how things will be different. Not that Tomlin didn't give a lot of reps to the young guys, but I'm expecting Aler Howard Everett's dunker, you know, those type of dudes to really get a good look in these practices.
Speaker 2: And Nate kind of tweets us along the same lines. With Joey Porter Junior and Ramsey on the pup list, how do you see this benefiting guys like a Sante Samuel Junior and rookie Dalon Everett Everet in particular. There's always so many reps to go around, and he's he's getting a larger portion of that right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that they doubled down on again. No one's ever told me this, but my hunch is just reading the tea leaves and watching their cornerback moves. Since Omar has been the GM that he's been frustrated with the other corners, you know, the not Joey Porter corner. And I think he just finally said, all right, we're gonna pay Dean and we're in a draft Everett to be the next team you know, then pay Porter hopefully, which and we're gonna have three outside corners. Samuel is also kind of a placeholder, but he's different than the other three, Like if all four of those walked in the room, you would think Samuel is not quite the same as he has, you know what I mean. So I think Everett's a guy that there hopefully doesn't play a snap this year because the other guys are so good. I also wonder, because I didn't know this until we spoke to him after he was drafted. He did play a lot of nickel in practice, okay, and he played a lot of special teams early on at Georgia. So maybe he's more than I'm not saying he's more than Porter. That makes Porter sound like he's less than somebody. But maybe Everett has more position versatility than I think. But I think you're gonna make your bones as an outside corner.
Speaker 2: Angry bike Line tweets us and says, any under the radar players you guys plan on keeping an eye on, I've got two, Matt.
Speaker 3: How about the lineman Jones? You brought him up befo him, so I knew I was steeling your.
Speaker 2: Guys, Stephen Jones. Matt and I liked a lot of what we saw from him in camp last year. Now, I'll say this, I think the door was much more a jar for him to make the team at that position group pretty last year than it was now, where it seems like there might not be many seats at the table that are still up for grabs there. And then Max Hrlman, another guy who oh yeah, yeah, who. I really liked what we saw from him in camp in preseason last year. You and I said at the time of you know, the initial fifty three man roster. We hope both of those guys are back here again. You know, in the summer of twenty twenty six. They are going to keep an eye on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you nailed him. I mean they they kind of always have that list every year of he's not gonna make the team. But I hope he's back next year. And they may never turn into anything. They may turn into a guy that sticks, you know. But I think those are two great examples. I bet Hurlman didn't love the Hide and Right pick.
Speaker 2: Though I bet they are similar. They're cut from this similar yeah. Yeah, but hey, two dogs, one bone.
Speaker 3: Right, yep, go out there, and I'm pretty excited to see if Hide and Rake does some wide receiver stuff. I know he's listened as a running back, he's wearing a running back number, but I still think he's more of a slot than he is a running back.
Speaker 2: I agreed. Ian says, how much of a wildcard is a healthy Broderick Jones to the Steelers offensive line Predictions and Projections, talked a little bit about that at the start of the show.
Speaker 3: Talk a lot about it. I would say rewind two hours because I think we used.
Speaker 2: The words he's a wildcard because you know he could play both tackle positions. We know Mike McCarthy likes to use traditional tackles at guard as well. I mean, there's listen again. We know his ability. That door at the offensive line room is not as a jar as it was this time last year. But he might be the one who could really shake it up.
Speaker 3: I mean, he may show so much the teams are calling you and offering you a good pick for him. He may have a good year as you're starting right tackle or right guard, hits free agency and gets way more than Dan Moore did and gets your third round pick in return. You know, like maybe they play more six to offensive lineman than I thought because they just can't keep him off the field. But Max and faltonu are too good, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, or maybe he's there. I mean, he's definitely a wild card, but there's a lot there. Let's not forget he was a mid first round pick just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see, probably the last one we have time for today. One of our regulars, Michael Adsso, says, Matt, are you in the best shape of your life at training camp?
Speaker 4: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Am I crazy? Or is Aaron Rodgers talking about needing more play action on early downs and McCarthy saying they need to move DK Metcalf around more the biggest news of the day. I love to hear this kind of talk.
Speaker 3: Oh I wish I didn't hear either one of those straight from their mouth, but I hope that's very true.
Speaker 2: And it's two things we've talked about throughout the off season.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think Metcalf's going to do a lot of slot stuff, but I'd like to see more preseat motion, more snap motion. That's another term people don't hear enough. That's becoming more and more that he's the guy on the move when the ball is snapped. It's harder to press him. We talked about our corners are getting up in his grill more than any receiver in the league. It's harder to do that. Plus a big body like him in motion when the ball snapped, as opposed from a standstill position, it's kind of frightening. And I'm all for the play action stuff. Weirdest stat I have ever heard, or one of this is from football siders and I think we talked about it two weeks ago or so when their guide came out from FTN. For ten years in a row, the Steelers have been worse when they use play action than not.
Speaker 2: Over where, multiple multiple, multiple.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks and coordinators. And they even wrote that we thought it was a Bend thing, but then it was everybody else since I but the league, the more play action the better. Yeah, I mean, that's what's so weird about it, because nine out of ten teams every year are better when they use play action than not. The Steelers can't be a coincidence. Ten years in a row, we're one of those ten percent or whatever. Yes, that's really weird.
Speaker 2: It's the same quarterback over those tens the whole.
Speaker 3: Time for the next five I'd buy it, you know, but those are old dogs that don't want to learn new tricks.
Speaker 2: But you know, been a lot of different dogs.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and that Coils and Trubisky and Picket and young guys all right, right, right, yeah, good athletes and bad athletes and you know, right.
Speaker 2: Let's hear a little bit of what Aaron Rodgers had to say along those lines when we returned. Maybe we'll hit some tweets as well too, Still a lot of ground to cover here in the final hour, bonus hour of the drive Wes Shuuler, Matt Williamson, High Top, Chuck Nole Field on this Wednesday evening. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: These live coverage twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp. Oh that's Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before you dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 4: For every touchdown the Black and.
Speaker 1: Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission LISIT CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Down the home stretch here on our first day of training camp coverage. And of course a big part of this whole thing we know is Mike McCarthy, the Steelers head coach but Matt the reunion storyline with his former quarterback. They wont a Super Bowl together.
Speaker 3: They did some good things together, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately they did those good things against the Pittsburgh Steelers. But if they win some games this year, we'll let it slide. Matt. Year number twenty two for Aaron Rodgers, isn't that nuts? Like, Wow, you have two children that are in college and they're not twenty two years old.
Speaker 4: Oh exactly.
Speaker 2: He's been in the league long enough that his tenure can go to the bar and go to Sharky's and Dinos and buy a cold one here in Latrobe.
Speaker 3: Again, that was the year I was with the Browns. That was that year. That long, it's crazy, doesn't seem like twenty two years.
Speaker 2: Ag and you and I say this a lot. There are some people, and.
Speaker 3: I've been in media for twenty two years, twenty one years.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. There are some people that and we don't mean this with with disrespect, but there's some coaches, there's some players, there's some athletes that just aren't the most interesting sound bites. You know, you don't, you don't really, you don't really get much. It's kind of cookie cutter. It's all trained in pr centric and they're never really gonna say much. Aaron Rodgers is not one of those guys. We enjoy listening to this dude's peak.
Speaker 3: I'm like enlightened every time I hear him talk or even off the record, just watching them do things. I mean, he's very, very perceptive, deliberate and intelligent.
Speaker 2: Twenty two years old, twenty two years in the National Football League, Aaron Rodgers speaking heading into his final training camp.
Speaker 5: If I can start by asking something that we probably should ask. Last time we talked, you mentioned that this was this was it. I guess what led you to that decision on why did you feel? Why did you want to share it before the season started.
Speaker 6: H I don't know. Somebody asked me about it. I don't remember what the context was, but yeah, this is it.
Speaker 4: I guess why what is it?
Speaker 5: Why is why is decision?
Speaker 6: I thought last year might be it, and then Mike got hired, and I talked to the wife and she said, you can do one more year, so well see if it works out. And then it kind of all came together.
Speaker 2: When you talked to da earlier in USA, well, you know, saying it to the last year. Might just be something that I did this year.
Speaker 1: You want to be back another year.
Speaker 7: You you have any kind.
Speaker 5: Of debate or no, zero debate, it's zero.
Speaker 4: What's the biggest thing that excites you about? How in the courtory coach you get?
Speaker 6: Well, just the history we got thirteen years together, got long uh you know, long track record of success and playoff run, super Bowl championship, and then just the full circles seeing each other. Now we're out in life. I think I'm the the same age that he was when he got hired in Green Bay.
Speaker 5: So that's nice. Uh, full circle moment for both of us.
Speaker 7: Is there some philosophically or stramatics do you guys particularly clip with do you do you see the game the same way? Do you attack it the same way?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: The West Coast offense, which is basically gone in the NFL other than what Mike's doing.
Speaker 2: Aaron, how do you do How do you view the significance of that trip you guys took out West and Dking was talking about the camaraderie.
Speaker 5: What do you think comes out of that? How do you impacts you guys?
Speaker 6: There's a crew I think a lot A lot is made about those trips. I think probably overblown at times. The most important chemistry is as the season gets going, for sure. But you know, the thing I will say is that you spend six months with guys every single day, then you go on a trip for four days, and you after the trip you felt like, man, I didn't even know these guys before these these four days. So it was good bonding around the campfire, good you know, activities out we were at and got out on the on the river and fished and did some things and rode some horses and had a good time.
Speaker 2: Already.
Speaker 8: To say is that a golpius is to increase his communication with me during the course of the week and your connectivity. So what you talked about during the week manifests on Sunday once the ball was snapped. What more do you think you can get out of DK this year? And how can that relationships grow?
Speaker 5: What's the game against? Oh?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean this this is what this training campus four. I think we had a nice, nice start in the OTAs I thought he was super productive.
Speaker 5: He's uh.
Speaker 6: He actually a greeted me last night at the dorms. He's my roommate again, which I was excited about. He helped me unload my stuff. I'd say we're in a real good place as far as our friendship. He looks incredible, he said. He's about his normal weight, but he's lower body fat percentage. You know, DK is a rare specimen. I think he likes the offense, likes the opportunities that he saw in the OTAs, and just about finding a way to get on the same page and in this second year together in training camp as we were going and you know, not put any crazy expectations on what asked to look like at certain times. The most important thing, like you said, is the communication. And I think it's been really good.
Speaker 5: Last year.
Speaker 2: You didn't really take many city practices off.
Speaker 5: A lot of bettering quarterbacks come through that necessarily did that important to you, and you expected this year to be any different. You start to pay more and be out there.
Speaker 6: I'd like a couple of days off, already told I already told the boss that, But you know, some of the things working against me, as he was with me forever and he knows how much I love the practice, which I do, so I think it's a little push and pool.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure what the final decision was.
Speaker 6: Actually, Mike t had some days slotted for me to be off, and then we had some rain out practices, so he kunt of those gym you know walkthroughs is my days off, So I would like a couple, that'd be nice.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy's talked to us a couple of times about QB school.
Speaker 10: Just what do you remember as a young quarterback about going through.
Speaker 5: That and what some of the benefits kind of muld have done. Yeah, there's a lot of benefits.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I did it with Tom Arth my first time. Now he's my coach. Tom.
Speaker 6: I've said this before, the prettiest heel toe drop I've ever seen. I still like to remind him of that. How he used to just make me look look bad every single day. And you know, it was a crazy workout back then, just the two of us do and forty five minutes NonStop. So one it got us in shape. Two, you know you're doing stuff you don't normally do, like jump rope, which I think is really important kind of foot work thing. There's quick feet in that, and then the drill work is working on you know, throwing on the run from different angles, and different, you know, targets you're looking at. So it's way different though. It QB school, whatever he's calling it now, is not what it was back then. I mean that was March fifteenth, that was three days a week, that was going over time sometimes. But the QB profile that he does do I think is a good learning tool for all young quarterbacks, but they missed out on the the real work back then when the rules are different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what a my side you want to play.
Speaker 7: You have to assess whether you think you still can to your standard and how.
Speaker 5: Do you do that? Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean let's get back into the workout, see how the body feels.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 2: Perfect him with that.
Speaker 5: He's what.
Speaker 6: You know, start to throw and see how the arms respond to The arm has never been an issue, uh really at all my twenty plus years playing and before that, never really had any arm issues. Light soreness early in camp, maybe the first couple of days, but never, you know, any issues with that.
Speaker 5: It's just a leg. So yeah, I did my usual spend.
Speaker 6: A lot of time with with my bodywork folks and try and lightening muscles and open things up and feel better. And you know then obviously I wanted to feel like I could come out in O tas and and uh, you know, have the rhythm at the time and throw and I feel like OTA has went really smooth. And you know, we'll see how camp goes. Obviously it's always like ups and downs, and it's way more scrutinized than it used to be back in the day, So you know, there'll be there'll be a new learning curve for all of us as we get into it.
Speaker 5: But I feel like by the second week we'll start to hit our shred derec What.
Speaker 6: To feel any different knowing that it's your last time around as you're going through things. I mean, I thought it might like last year it felt way more dramatic to me, like it's my last you know, arrival to training camps. And this year it doesn't feel anything. You know, I really don't. I'm just happy to be out here with the guys. Good to see some of their faces I haven't seen in a while, Good to see the you know, the six guys that went on the trip with us again. I feel like there was like a tighter bond that will have to bring in some of the other guys who weren't at that trip, but you know it's good.
Speaker 2: We're at a trip.
Speaker 6: Last year you guys went to Malibu hosted everyone.
Speaker 2: How did you decide where you went this year?
Speaker 5: And where were you and Zacha the wild Clast.
Speaker 6: A lot of the guys wanted a Malibu trip. They wanted to go to Nobu, they want to see the dolphins, they wanted to put the feet in the sand. And so this spring, I said, hey, what do you guys want to do this time? And they said experience, And we want to do an experience. So what are you talking about? Do you want to go to Hawaii or something? Or he said, now we want to go to the mountains. We want to like do like a ranch thing. So I you know, did a lot of research and found a couple of places and then this place you know, came available, and we're very thankful to to the person that made that happen. I'm not I can't I'm not allowed to speak on where it is any of that thing, but it was.
Speaker 5: It was a great time.
Speaker 2: Aaron, what is your number one area that you would like to improve on going into this year?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I work on stuff every single day. I have to think about that. It's day one. I'm just coming out of getting my passport renewals, so you know, that was my main goal today was to make sure I can go to go to France. So I think We're going to be locked in on that. But I'll be working on things every single day. You know, It's more just it's a different offense. There's different terminology. Mike was flexible and chain and a few things in the spring, but you know, be a work.
Speaker 5: In progress with the offense.
Speaker 2: And your month has a history of his teams throwing at the highest rates on first downs in the NFL.
Speaker 5: It's change a pace for what the Steelers have been or recently.
Speaker 2: What are the key elements that you guys need to achieve to make that and be one of those better teams at throwing on first down.
Speaker 6: We got to be under center, you know, we got to be under center and and get the action game going and the movement game going. So but it starts under center. I think some of the best offenses in the legue are not shotgun happy. You know, they're not too shotgun happy obviously in third down to give me a shotgun.
Speaker 5: But the more you can be.
Speaker 6: Under center in first second down. I think is really important to be an efficient on those downs as well.
Speaker 2: Aaron, how different is a Mike McCarthy training camp to maybe some of the other ones that you've participated in over the course of your career.
Speaker 6: Well, you gotta understand, Like I was a MIC in two thousand and six, and that was back when you could do double days, so we had two to one two one alternating. My first year was was double days for the first couple weeks of camp. So training camp's way different. It's way easier. It's like a mental grind. It's not a physical grind the way it used to be. Now knowing Mike and his Pittsburgh grit background, sure he's gonna try and make some gagger practices out there, but the rules are in place where there's a certain timeframe. I don't if it's two hours and twenty minutes or two thirty or something. Back then, we used to joke about how quarterbacks would be on the field, like twenty minutes before practice. We'd have three hour and fifteen minute practice. We'd get into like the I used to say, the real practice like an hour and forty five in because it'd be so much individual work, and those were real practices. Those were not a whole lot of fun. So I'm not sure what the Mike McCarthy training camp practice will be like, but I know that the OTAs were crisp.
Speaker 5: You guys saw him out there.
Speaker 6: It was crisp, things moving fast in and out of team periods, and I expect more of the same.
Speaker 2: Have you learned more, guys? Do more?
Speaker 5: Have you learned anything about DK this offseason that maybe didn't now over last year or last season? Yeah, a lot a lot personal stuff for sure.
Speaker 6: Again, like you know, I spent a lot of time with DK and the off season and during the season and outside the facility, and you know, four days at the ranch, you know, I found out more about him than I know and in that time, And I think that's part of the the.
Speaker 5: Plot of being kind of a man, you know, an alpha.
Speaker 6: In this society today, it's hard to be vulnerable, and you know, I was trying to create the space where that was kind of normal. So, you know, I try to be as honest and open as possible about kind of my own life and background and struggles and frustrations, and a lot of guys opened up and shared some really personal stuff and I'm not obviously not going to share that here, but but yeah, man, I just have so much respect for DK and kind of how we grew up and where he's from, and I just feel like I really got to know him and now, you know, before we were friends, but now I just feel like that word has a different meaning to it here. What upstarts you about this receiver room this year with the addition of Michael Pittman and drafting Jeremy Bernard and another.
Speaker 5: Year with Roman Wilson A Brow. Yeah, I mean those those three DK.
Speaker 6: Obviously, I think this offense, uh you know suits d K. I think Michael and his humility as a z asking him and do a lot of stuff that you know, I feel like we did when we were really good on offense in Green Bay in twenty and twenty one with the with Devonte at the X, you know, in the DK role, Alan Wizard and the z uh and Marquez and you know, you got to stick stickheading Aaron Block and then off of that some action stuff and then having a guy in the slot that can get open, which you know, I think Germ is gonna get some opportunities. But I think the guy out of anybody that's really shown this new staff, because it is a new staff, you know, a lot of great ape is Roman Wilson. I think Roman had a really nice spring. Got to know him, you know, on a deeper level during that trip, which was fun. But I expect, you know, I expect him to start to make some some splash place he did in the spring, and I expect him to have a nice camp.
Speaker 2: Your signal caller QB one Aaron Rodgers there set in the tone. Uh, and he is Matt reiterating that yes, this is his last training camp. Hey, he could always change his mind between now and you know, January February March.
Speaker 3: But using it again, it.
Speaker 2: Gets real close. And what's one last bite at the apple?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: But yeah, a guy that is one day going to moonwalk into the Hall of Fame and is one of the greatest to ever do it. We're we're pretty privileged here, I think to uh, to see what will be the final act of his career.
Speaker 3: We're pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am too, especially with a familiar coach in Mike McCarthy. We will wrap up the show when we return on the other side. Final segment for the Drive final segment for our coverage here today at Chuck Nolfe on the campus of Saint Vincent College, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage on Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and buy iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the Drive here on this Wednesday, day number one of Steelers Training Camp twenty twenty six. Matt, it's uh, we're starting to get our feet went a little bit here figuring out how things are are gonna look. But we'll really different a little different, a lot of the same. We will still have three more acclamation practices this week. That's one thing that doesn't change. As we mentioned, that's an NFL CBA thing. But Matt, pretty cool conversation that we want to play some of here before we get up out of here. And that is Dan Rooney or Junior, who is a VP of player Personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He joined our buddies Mike Persuda and Bob Labriolak on DVE kind of just talking about a training camp of change for that. I mean, that's going to be the overarching theme of these next three weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, especially during the acclamation period. I'm sure we talking about a lot of the different changes. And then we start the pad and stuff too, like, oh, this definitely has a different feel too.
Speaker 2: It already does exactly right. And so here's what you know. These are These are three Steelers Elder Statesman really getting into it here. Here's what those guys had to say real time.
Speaker 4: Dash.
Speaker 7: We're joined now by a very special guest, a guy who's been nice enough for a boy a lot of years now.
Speaker 4: To stop buying chat with a sturing these programs.
Speaker 7: Steelers Vice President of Player Personnel, Dan Rooney Junior, Dan, welcome back.
Speaker 4: Do you have your union card after?
Speaker 10: Thank you very much for having me. It's always fun to be on with you guys. You know, I said this a couple of years ago that you know the best part of my game day is the pregame show with you guys. Then I get nervous a crap for the hours.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you paid any attention to the media sessions today, but a lot of guys talking about all the.
Speaker 4: Things that are different beyond the staff and the players.
Speaker 7: What what is hitting you in the face as Wow, that's different.
Speaker 10: I really haven't noticed anything major obviously, you know that just in general that the staff, you know, Mike and.
Speaker 4: His his new staff is you're.
Speaker 10: Just getting getting to know them, getting to know what they like, and trying to you know, be available to help them when we can. But my kind of focuses on the players and you know, helping Omar and Andy and now Max Gruder our pro guy to you know, if I can assist in any way with getting those guys ready to go.
Speaker 9: You know, Mike McCarthy, you you hired it. And I say this with respect. You hired a y inser. I mean he's he seems to be into it the whole. You know, he's into the Latrobe thing, the Destination training camp. He understands the history a little bit. Uh. Probably, Well, I don't know about Bill Cower's understanding of the history of the Steelers when he was hired. But Mike McCarthy a green Field guy. He lived well, he grew up, he was raised in the house ten minutes maybe from the practice facility on the south side eight Well, it depends on whether he catch that light at the end of Greenfield Avenue. I don't think it's the same, but uh, you know it has to be I don't know, comforting maybe to be working with the guy who seems to get a lot of it what the Steelers are about, the relationship with the city, the fans, and Mike and I were talking in the first segment. You know, as a former coach of Green Bay and Dallas, he gets it when the pro football team is the big deal. Dallas green Bay both kind of spotlight franchises in their areas, the Steelers certainly in this area. Could you talk a little bit about the things that you've seen from Mike McCarthy that you like that maybe comfort you a little bit in a coaching change that doesn't happen very often for this franchise and otherwise might be a little bit nerve wracking.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, beyond the uh, you know, the local guy and all that stuff, Mike is very very detailed. He's very kind of strict as far as you know, how he wants things done, and it's a something that you really have to get accustomed to. But it's a good thing, you know, something that you know, we all have kind of parameters in a sense that you know, we kind of you know, kind of you work with and we're getting get to know a little bit better. But as a person, he's a great guy. Unfortunately, the first time I met him was after they beat us in the Super Bowl in Dallas. But you know, I really always enjoyed just having a hello, how you doing conversation with him when he was a different team, and then now it's been fantastic to you know, get to know him as a coach, get to know him as a boss, as the guy that you know is running this show here.
Speaker 4: And I think that you know.
Speaker 10: It is it is a Pittsburgh flair, so to speak, because he grew up here and he has a love for the city and you know, a genuine appreciation for the franchise and you know what the what the seventies were like and how it transformed the city into you know, football town. But you know, beyond that, you know, he's a he's a great guy. Like he's a he's a he's a funny guy. He's got a good sense of humor. He's easy to talk to you. I was talking him today about that article, Uh somebody wrote in the magazine called the Athletic great piece on him, and he had a brother of the past one unfortunately and just a really a nice piece just about the area of Greenfield and all that kind of stuff. So it was just, uh, you know, working for him so far has been been fantastic for both the structure that he played, you know, he's laying out and as far as the human being has just been you know, really enjoyable to work with.
Speaker 7: You know, his resume is known. Labs mentioned Dallas, green Bay won a Super Bowl, you mentioned, you know, he's been in big games.
Speaker 4: He's won a lot of games.
Speaker 7: He didn't work last year and while I thought he clearly has the bona fides for the job, and the hire makes sense.
Speaker 4: With Aaron Rodgers being.
Speaker 7: Here, A little part of me wondered, is this guy coming back? Does he really want to coach? Or is he just coming back to where Steeler gear and go.
Speaker 4: To Aallos and Saint don Ton.
Speaker 7: And you know, there's a thing in the military they call it road retired on active duty when the officers stopped putting into it what they did to become officers in the first place. And I had a little thought like, wow, I wonder, really is he gonna be all in?
Speaker 4: That stuff got blown away during Goesta.
Speaker 7: You guys, I guess we're aware how competitive he still is when you hired him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you know, in terms of the hiring process, you know, Art and Omar and my nephew Dan were kind of filling me in on just bikes who some of the top prospects were, and Mike name kept coming up.
Speaker 4: But he didn't come here to play round. No, no, no, no, no. Yeah.
Speaker 10: It's it's pretty cool, like, you know, to mean as far as like I see what you're saying, what you're saying originally, Mike, but like there was never a moment in his in my interaction with him that he wasn't all about football. You know, we enjoyed having conversations about Pittsburgh, about the chief and those kind of things. But you know, he was here to win the Super Bowl. You know, that's what he's putting out, you know, putting everybody, the staff together, the process, getting the players ready for that kind of a you know experience.
Speaker 9: This year, what are you seeing from Aaron Rodgers forty two going on forty three.
Speaker 10: I thought last year it was you know, Dan Colbert usually gives me the quarterbacks at training camp and probably was only four guys. I can't screw them up too bad. But he threw one pass. It was the very first pass at the individual period, and I said, oh my gosh, you still got I ran to coach Tom and I said, hey man, this guy can still do it. And then as I got to be just observe him. You know, the elite competitor and the elite football intelligence, and the and the guy that wants to bring the players to be their best. You know, all those kind of characteristics that I saw guys in the seventies have. You know, they had that ability to make everybody on the team play their best. Now, I know this is a whole different era, and you know, the things are obviously financially whatever you want to call it. But I just felt that that football guy that really you know, was going to drive this team his teammates to be the best they can be. And you know, I was so excited. He's always been one of my favorite non Steelers, so when he signed it, it was great. Then when he re signed, I was like, all right, this is gonna be awesome. So you know whatever, you know, I'm sure there's critics will say whatever they want about his age anything. I have not seen anything with the arm, the intelligence to be, ability to process, you know, whether his body it thinks differently, I don't know, but it's been unbelievable.
Speaker 9: It also seems to me the respect that he has as with his teammates, that that that to me was apparent right from the beginning last summer. Last because he didn't really get here to training camp, how the team kind of reacted to him, how they talked about him. Uh, it really seems to me that Aaron Rodgers is the offensive leader that this team has lacked for a while with doubt. Uh, and not only a leader within his own locker room, but also a presence in the league. Yes, and uh, that's really important to have somebody on that side of the ball. Maybe was pound at one point, but all due respect to Markus Pouncey, love him and everything. He was a center, right when it's a quarterback, I just think it means more.
Speaker 10: I agree, one hundred percent. And I think that he showed that. And it was something that I didn't really know about him obviously. I just liked his talent watching him play in Green Bay and not not really in New York, but anyway, it was just something that I didn't ever see, but you could witness it right away, Like you said, the respect that he had from the other players, and then that the way he demands players to do well is not in a arrogant way. You know, it's in a kind of.
Speaker 4: Build you up.
Speaker 10: But let's let's make sure we get after these expectations too. You know, it's just a really if you're a real football player, you want to work for him, You want to play for that kind of a guy.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: Last thing I have for you, You guys have won a lot of regular season games since you last won a playoff game, and you know the argument regular season doesn't matter. I was at the Ravens game last year. People poured out of the stadium like it was New Year's Eve.
Speaker 9: It mattered.
Speaker 4: Yes, division championships.
Speaker 7: Matter, but how do you compartmentalize or wrap your head round just you don't speak for the organization, but it doesn't add up that you win as much as you do in the regular season and you're over the playoffs for nine years or whatever.
Speaker 10: This, Yeah, obviously he's extremely frustrating. Pardon me, you know it. It is a during the season. You have to win enough games to qualify for the playoffs, obviously, and it's hard to do it correct. And Mike did it with a variety of quarterbacks. And Mike I thought, was a heck of a coach and got our guys ready to play, especially down the stretch, and really did a nice job. But you know, I'm not I don't know, how do you say this. I don't want to sound arrogant, but like, I'm kind of in the business to win the Super Bowl, you know, so winning a playoff game is fine, but you know, I want I want I want that seventh ring. You know, and I know that sounds, you know, kind of crazy, but you know, it's just like it's it's a miserable feeling when you have to end the season, you know, it just feels I just feel feel terrible. But I do want to say that as soon as that season ends, I start looking how can we how can we change it? And you know, I have a minute role within the organization, so I'm not I'm not trying to say that, you know, I'm doing any fixing, but as far as wey, I can support Omar, support Kevin Colvert, uh, you know, whatever coach is there, whatever you know. But I don't want to be a guy that's gonna be walking around my head down. I want to get moving right away to try to start getting the college guys UH evaluated as best we can do what we can with the with the with the pro the free agent guys, and you know, get our current roster, you know, squared away as far as you know, contracts and that stuff.
Speaker 4: But I believe that.
Speaker 9: The intent or the hope for the team last year was to draft their quarterback of the future UH in twenty to twenty twenty six NFL Draft, and the class was supposed to be great. Didn't turn out that way. What's the twenty twenty seven draft class of quarterbacks look like?
Speaker 4: It looks great?
Speaker 10: Except I don't know who's gonna all come out, you know with what you know.
Speaker 4: I hate to say this, but you know, Nil that's making too much money, right exactly.
Speaker 10: You know, And but you know, just doing a brief study on some of the guys, you know, I really thought that Arch Manning looked like he was going to be a heck of a prospect and maybe he'll, you know, value get into that. The guy down at South Carolina le North Sellers. I actually thought, the guy that went from Tennessee out to UCLA, Nico, I don't know how to say his last name. I thought, yeah, yeah, right, yeah right, And.
Speaker 4: You know, I thought he was good.
Speaker 10: And then the Dante More I think is at Oregon. He looks like a pretty good prospect. I haven't seen the guy from Notre Dame. They say he's he's pretty strong, But you know, I think that has a chance. Like there's other guys that I'm not mentioning that I just not off the top of my head that this class has a chance to be pretty pretty deep. We got to get through right one though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan really appreciate the visiness always, thank you, thank you very much. Yeah, I appreciate good luck with your travels this fall.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 7: That was Steele as nice as President of player Personnel, Dan Rooney Junior joining us here and Matt.
Speaker 2: That will do it for us today.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 2: I think that's a fun way to kind of cap things off here on day number one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's been a good day. We got many ahead. I hope we get this kind of weather.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely, you are not lying. Matt and I are off to Dino's for an evening show with Jerry dulak uh and you are you stop by and say hello. Looks like the team's gonna have a little bit of an evening walk through as well. Potentially. I was wondering how that. Yeah, they wonder how that gonna work because it used to be morning walkthroughs and then practice. But you know, they still want to you got to work on that mental side of the game that we were talking about.
Speaker 3: This is not like two days. I mean, they're allowed to do this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is this is this is about his walk through, his walkthrough, can get it's schematics and formations and all that different stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean they do it in a ballroom before the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exact, man. I wish there's a lot of things that I'm privy to. That's I'm very fortunate. It's a really cool part of my job. I wish Steeler fans could see the setup in the hotels when we go on the road. It's like we did the Steelers just take over the ballrooms and it's like, this is where we do our walkthroughs. This is where team meetings are. This is where the chapel is if you want to go and do church. This is where the cafeteria. This is where the you know, the treatment, massage and chiropractor. It is a heck of an operation, just like it is out here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. But that will do it for our operation today. Of course, we will resume tomorrow at nine am with Tom Waperman and Bob Labriola with our nine hours of coverage here on campus every single day thanks to our buddy Justin. It was good getting back with Justin producing for us, back at the ranch, for Matt Williamson, un what Shooler take care of everybody. We will talk to you soon. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network