Speaker 1: At least.
Speaker 2: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers.
Speaker 3: Nation Radio, and welcome to the Drive. The sun is shining here in Pittsburgh. There's still snow in the ground, but there's starting sun out there, starting them out a little bit. Steelers are practicing down at Akroshuer Stadium again today as they prepare for their Sunday or Saturday night matchup.
Speaker 4: Why would I say Sunday. They never play on Aday.
Speaker 3: Sunday, y are Saturday night matchup against the Baltimore Ravens. And news out of Baltimore today John Harbaugh declaring that Zay Flowers will not play in this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: I think it's huge, something we suspected all week obviously.
Speaker 3: Until he said it. Yeah, I just didn't know.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: I thought I might hold out, hope, game time decision, one of those kind of nonsense. But he hadn't practic. This didn't look good when it happened, and I think there's a lot of ramifications for them. I mean, he's their quick game guy, he's their best wide out and just the way the Steelers secondary is constructed. I think it fits well with their pass catchers.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I think everybody's forgetting that. For the second game in Baltimore this year, you didn't have Deshaun Elliott, you didn't have Dante Jackson, and Joey Porter Junior got hurt in the middle of that.
Speaker 1: Game, right, they were on fumes in the secondary, yeah, the least, right.
Speaker 3: So it has a trickle down effect the whole way across this And if you look back at that first game, Lamar Jackson completed forty eight point five percent of his passes, six point three yards per attempt, one touchdown, one interception, a passer rating of sixty six point one, which has been what he has done against the Steelers over the course of his career. The outlier was the next meeting, when he completed sixty five point two percent of his passes, average nine yards per pass attempt, had three touchdowns, and posted a one to fifteen point four passer rating against a secondary that was missing basically for two and a half, you know, two and a half starters basically the yah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, by Lamar's standards this year, that second game wasn't him shredding, blow it off right, right, and it wasn't his best game of the year or anything now, not even close. We've talked about this week, and I think it's really what works out well. Considering Bateman's a good player. I mean, I really liked him coming out of Minnesota. He's had some injuries. Instead of picking up their fifth year option, they extended him a year. They liked them, they didn't want him getting away, and they've used him as a deep threat more than I expected this year, you know, I mean, because Flowers is stepuisator and yeah, yeah, I mean they usually don't have a third receiver on the field, so kind of by default, he's kind of your go guy. But he has some physicality to him. But I think Porter matches up really really well on him, you know, I mean just stylistically, talents, you know, all those type of things. And then you mentioned Elliott not being around the first go round. Minka was asked to do a lot of different stuff during that stretch and he's very capable. But Elliott is really good against the run. For one thing. I mean, I think we know that he's a glue guy. He's a communicator, which has been a problem in the last month or so. But I like my chances with Elliott and Minka against Likelye and Andrews in any way, shape or form however that works out. And then that leaves you a lot of I'm not saying they'll never be safeties over the top or you're gonna be playing cover zero all day, but I bet they're aggressive with their coverages and that allows you a lot of more the box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put more in the box to dedicate it to stopping the run. Yeah, I looked it up today, Matt. The receivers on wide receivers on Baltimore's team, Yeah, currently right now who are not named Zay Flowers and Rashad Bateman twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Catches this year.
Speaker 1: That doesn't surprise him.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven catches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And other than Aguilar, they've never really had career success either.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: I mean they're a bunch of unknowns.
Speaker 4: And even Aguilar's career successes.
Speaker 1: And he was a former first round pick, but he hasn't been good a lot of this. I don't think Philadelphia, I don't think you love him playing a ton No.
Speaker 3: I assume he'll be there too, though, could be Tolem Wallace.
Speaker 1: Could be maybe they just have a rotation going or different packages or whatever. But I don't think you're gona see three of them on the field very much, Not very much, I wouldn't. I mean you're leaving a good player and likely or Ricard or Cool or whoever off the field, if that's your approach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it certainly shrinks what Baltimore can do.
Speaker 3: Not that they play a lot of eleven personnel to begin with, but but.
Speaker 1: They can throw it, and you know right now that limits.
Speaker 4: Them, you know, and the guys that are still going to put on the field.
Speaker 3: It's not like they're not there's not some good players there, right, but they don't have they don't have that speed element.
Speaker 4: With with the playmate they had their playmaking.
Speaker 3: I should say they have the speed element, But do you trust the speed element as much as you do with Jay Flowers, right?
Speaker 1: I mean he's going the Pro Bowls here, he's an as sending player. Teams have been attacking the Steelers by getting it out quick. I would think he'd be your top target for that. You know, quick hitters near the line of scrimmage, get open immediately, scheme them up through motion whatever. Yeah, Andrews and likely are good players too, but I think the Steeler safeties can do fair enough against them.
Speaker 3: And remember Andrews in his first ten games against the Steelers, in his first ten games, yeah, the eleventh one was the last one that they played, had zero touchdown catches against the Steelers, none, zero, zilch na. Now he did have a touchdown catch in the second meeting when the Steelers were missing three starters in the same Yeah, it's just a huge It makes them so much easier to defend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just the way that the Steelers are set up and the way that the Ravens are set up. That'd be one of the guys you'd want to pluck out of their lineup, maybe ahead of Andrews, maybe ahead of any of the offensive lineman, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean pretty much ahead of anybody, but Derrick Henry or Lamar Bokson.
Speaker 1: I think so, just because they're so weak there, which is why they traded for Deontay Johnson that didn't work out. But they recognize we don't have a lot of man beaters, we don't have a lot of quick hitter type guys. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing people forget about that first game against the Ravens was no George Pickens for the Steelers, right, right, so they.
Speaker 1: Were I mean, Porter and Pickens are really hard to replace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody.
Speaker 3: I mean, as you're seeing, we've heard this all season long with the Steelers. I can't believe they didn't go get a second wide receiver. They needed a second wide receiver. Baltimore is in the same boat. Yeah, yeah, Now Bateman is you'd love that baby coming into this, right, you didn't know what Bateman was, no, right, I mean later shown anything like this.
Speaker 1: No, it's definitely his best year.
Speaker 3: But even at that, he has forty five catches this year. You know, he's not like he's you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think he had three or four last week, and then he had one and one the two weeks before that. You know, I mean he's not a secondary over and over and over, right, and frankly, I think Porter is the better player. I mean, yeah, I know the Steelers secondary is not the strength of the team, but boy would I challenge them this week, Like, we're not even putting safeties over the top to help you guys. You know, the three of you two safeties and even Jackson versus Aguilar, the four of you are going to take their four top receivers and yeah, we'll help you some, but there's any times we're not, you know, And that's the way it's gonna go, you know.
Speaker 3: And I would look at this, yeah and say, look, if we're not gonna let Bateman beat us, we're not gonna let the two tight ends beat us. We're gonna try not to let the quarterback and the running back beat us. If one of those other if Tyler Wallace beats you or Nelson Aga beat you, it's just not your day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so be it right. Yeah, again, Kohler doesn't even touch the ball. Ricard doesn't even touch the ball. They're there blockers, their guards in motion and chip guys.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing here, Matt, Like, okay, so you take you take those seventy plus catches out of the lineup, thousand plus yards out of the lineup. They only play, I mean they largely play in in you know, twenty two or twenty you know, twenty one personnel. It there's there's two tight ends, a fullback and a running back on the field lot a lot. So now you're taking that outside weapon away, you know, from that the guy that can actually you know when you're playing in that formation or with that grouping, who actually can scare the Bejesus out of a defense, Because if you miss a tackle on Zay Flowers and he's shifty, yeah he can. He can get a player, he can make a big play against you. We're kind of taking some of that away. Bateman's not a run after the catch guy, No, not so much. No, he's a move the chains can get over the top. But he's not a super burner either. I mean, despite his long ones, it's the physicality down the field or a lot of times with him, it's because he's wide open singles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, play action and take a shot to him. And again he's evolving, but he's not close to a one. Yeah. And he's a very different type of player than Flower.
Speaker 3: So again it makes them much easier to defend in this game and your at full strength, right.
Speaker 1: I do think the health stuff is certainly in the Steelers favor, especially on that side of the ball too. Now that doesn't mean you can get Henry on the ground or Lamar on the ground or or if you blitz Lamar, and I hope they do, because he's a heavily blitzed player and he handles it well. He handles everything well now, but I want to get hits on him. I wanted to force the ball out of his hand. I was worried about dropping guys.
Speaker 3: Here's what you know, I think in the second meeting, because they were so they were down so many players in the secondary. You get James Pierre out there, you have Corey Treis, you know, Cam Sutton's out there a lot that.
Speaker 1: The Suttons and Beanies probably won't play hardly at all, much at all.
Speaker 4: In this game.
Speaker 3: And I think because you were kind of you know, you just didn't have your guys back there, you're more concerned about Lamar beating you over the top at least early in the game than you are maybe stopping Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and again I'm sure burn the boats, you know, I mean, they're gonna we don't need to play a conservative cover three shell over and over, because what we got to lose. You know, we're not playing to live another day. We're on the road. We're a dog. We got some serious playmakers in the run game and a really good quarterback. Let's do everything we can to make life difficult on him. You know, because he doesn't have a go to.
Speaker 3: Guy, doesn't have as much as Andrews has been the Woodbee over the years, Flowers has kind of been.
Speaker 1: He's really important.
Speaker 3: He's the first receiver in their history that they have drafted who made Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: And is that crazy? I mean, like all their good ones have been like Bolden, Steve Smith, Mason that they've recycled, and I'm not sure any of them were great. I mean, they're not exactly known as a throat all over the place, you know, franchise, but that is pretty crazy. It's a good organization. Only one drafted receiver go to the Pro Yeah, those aren't hard.
Speaker 4: To come, No, they're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean again three receivers in the AFC North made addition, which is what it is. But I just think that's a massive, massive blow to the Ravens. Not sure they've been you know, they've prepared all long, like, hey, we're probably not going to have him, but you hold out hope until the last minute.
Speaker 1: And you know, do we know any Justice Hill stuff. Do we think he plays? He's going to be back here, I assume. So now this sounds crazy, but he's a playmaker, you know, Mitchell's a playmaker, but that means you take Henry off the field, right, Like, do they want to get some easy completions to backs? I mean just trying to look. I'm trying to think how they would think without Flowers. I'm not going to trot out I'm definitely not going to try it out a third receiver. No, who are my other pass catchers? Of course, I'm going to try to feature Likely and Andrews. And if I'm in their shoes, I might be like, Okay, those Steeler safeties are pretty good, but our tight ends are equally good. We're going to go toe to toe with those guys and we hope we win that matchup, but they might.
Speaker 3: You know, here's a thing, though, You're starting to throw the ball around Minka, And that's the one thing that did go well for the Steelers last time, is to make a picked one off against you know, because Lamar as good of a passer as he is, and I think he's gotten so much better at this, he still will overthrow a receiver every once.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure guy too. I keep going back to tips and things like that too. I mean, I think you can get your cam does every game. I mean I feel like you can get your hands on the ball, whether it's Dee Liman or Pbu's on the back end at some point in this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of surprised. I just looked before we started the show, and of course the news here on Flowers has been out now for a couple of hours. I wanted to see if that had moved the line at all, and it.
Speaker 1: Really has assumed. Vegas assumed he was going.
Speaker 3: To be out, which is surprising to me because the first meeting, the Steelers didn't have Pickens and they were missing again some guys in the secondary and Ogunjobi as well, and that one was seven points.
Speaker 4: You're telling me, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, Joby, the mix is not is not nothing either, no, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me. What you're telling me over what Vegas is saying from that line to this one is that if Za Flowers were playing, the Ravens will be eleven or twelve point favorites.
Speaker 1: I don't exactly know how that worked. I mean, I just know that they want equal people.
Speaker 3: Be their offensive. Pickens is to the Steelers offense.
Speaker 1: I'd say close. Yeah, I see you're saying. I just think that the general public. Joe Blow from Omaha or Seattle or whatever. This says, Boy, the Steelers are sliding and the Ravens are I.
Speaker 3: Mean, we've been talking about this, this Flowers thing all week. I don't know that I've heard or seen a lot of other final.
Speaker 1: Saying about this. I mean, I listen to a lot of podcasts, I read, I got a bunch of different sites every day, and I don't think people realize or at least yet the ramifications of, you know, why what happens with him being out again?
Speaker 3: The rest of their receivers, all of them, Yeah, had twenty seven catches not named Bateman or Flowers, like you don't even they barely play.
Speaker 1: And it's so much different than like the Bengals, you know, where it'd be like Higgins are Chas being out, yeah to a degree, just because.
Speaker 4: But they've got you a Cybus who's a decent player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I thinking about the Steelers being one really strong man corner where Bateman might be an issue for them if Flowers was out there or I don't think Porter would probably even line up on Flowers. Maybe it'd still be on Bateman.
Speaker 3: He did the for the first time problem. In the first game they put Porter on Bateman. Yeah, yeah, he matched up much more his style. Bateman had two catches in the game for like thirty yards.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like Hagen's worth chase and.
Speaker 3: Then they and then they you know, or the other thing you know with Okay, we're just gonna double Flowers, and Flowers really didn't hurt them much in that game.
Speaker 1: Approach without doubling him. Yeah, you know, double the new guy and then you're pretty good shape.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again, I think it has a massive trickle down effect in this game. And yeah, I don't know that it's being talked about him though.
Speaker 1: Agree, and I do expect the Steelers to have a lot of big people on the field. I mean, you're gonna have Roberts, you're gonna have Bent, and you're gonna have your base three four. Wouldn't shock me if you saw a third outside linebacker out there at times, you.
Speaker 3: Know, all three inside backers just yeah, yeah, you know whatever you're going to do there. But again, if they're going to come out with with two tight ends or two tight ends, a full back, yeah, and a running back, that's four eligibles right there. They've only got one receiver on the field. Yeah, and we're playing with one cornerback.
Speaker 1: A lot of times I would say that would be play the Steeler strengths. Honestly, yeah, I'd be very fine with that. Like I'm sure people do not count Recard the same as they count Mitchell or you can't. I mean, if you catch all season touch the ball, you know, right, he's a guard.
Speaker 4: Coler barely touches the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's I mean again, if these guys, if these are the guys that beat you, so.
Speaker 1: I mean, they may catch a touch I mean, Coler might catch a short touchdown or a first down, or Recard picks up a fourth and.
Speaker 3: One, you know, but they're not they're not found. They're not found. They're not passing game. No, they're not going to feature those guys at all. It's like you know, throwing the ball to Michael Pruet or something. You know, that's okay, Yeah, every once in a while works, yeah, right, But by and large, I mean no, those aren't NFL playmakers. They're out there to create matchup or create blocking angles, be physical on the move lineman, and you you dug up a great stat on those two players. In particular crazy. I mean when they're on the field. Yeah, when Coler, when Cohler and Ricard on the field together, the Ravens run the ball eighty eight percent of eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that goes back to this year and last year combined. Yeah, Like there's a lot of numbers out there of Cohlers on the field. They're run percentages like well over sixty. The cards are in the fields well over sixty. Now that's not totally shocking. And sometimes they're up by twenty late in the game and they just run horses and am. But when they're both on the field they're running the ball, have a sign back behind Lamar, it goes, we're running the football here. Now stopping it's a different story, right, you know it can be Lamar getting the ball. Use a much different ball carrier than Henry. Those guys are good blockers too. They can dig out watch their high smith or even why they're out to lineman, right, I mean they're three hundred pound card. I mean they can take on on the land and Roberts in the hole. There are many people that can do that type of thing. And we did a show with Rob King today too, and he mentioned you know you love to get penetration on Henry. I mean, you don't want him to get his feet started. Yeah, but they know that too, you know, so they run a lot of traps. They let you come upfield and they wham you from the side. You know, they know what you're trying to do too. You know, They're running game is very diverse. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But again I think that's just massive piece of news today that comes out. Again, the Steelers relatively healthy for this one. We're going to take a break when we come back. We've got a special guest coming on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Marcus Mosher from the thirty third team also does some work with Matt on we record a podcast.
Speaker 1: Ye yeah, but he's going to join us.
Speaker 4: He made his NFL picks for the playoff games.
Speaker 1: It's pretty much right. It's like an article of day I've noticed for thirty three third team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because a guy we've talked about his his stuff on here before. But he's going to join us on the show here in the next segment, we're going to chat with him about this game, get a little nash perspective on this particular matchup.
Speaker 1: Right after this.
Speaker 2: At least, he's the drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold cast in Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 3: And welcome back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and we're joined on the Justin Miller hot Line by Marcus Moser from the thirty third Team. I know you do a lot of other stuff as well, busy, including a podcast with Matt here as well, Marcus on the is.
Speaker 4: It Locked on, Locked On Dynasty?
Speaker 1: Every Wednesday on Dynasty?
Speaker 3: But we appreciate you dropping in here on the Drive and sharing your expertise here, Marcus, because we wanted to get kind of a national perspective on this particular game. And I know you're you're a fellow eight one four guy like myself up in Erie. Yeah, first of all, have you dug out from all the know you ener? Did you guys not get all the snow and eerie?
Speaker 5: We got about sixteen inches over the last two days dusting and eerie. Yeah, it's just a regular Thursday for.
Speaker 1: Us, yikes.
Speaker 3: But Marcus, you released your your picks as you do every week on the thirty third Team predictions for the upcoming playoff games, and you do this every week on the thirty third team.
Speaker 4: We talk about they keep you busy too. Yeah, you do a lot of stuff on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh so your pick on the Steelers Ravens game. Let us give our listeners an idea of what you picked and why you picked that particular outcome.
Speaker 4: I'll let you explain.
Speaker 5: First of all, I feel like I'm the only person that's picking Pittsburgh or even giving Pittsburgh a chance in this game, and I don't quite understand why.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 5: I know Pittsburgh has lost the last four games. I know the Ravens have played really well over the last four games, but these two teams always played really really close games. And when you get into the playoffs and it's a divisional matchup, I just would hate to lay nine and a half ten points on a team that's that's without their number one receiver. And I want to go back to the previous game because I think a lot of people are remembering that second game differently. The Steelers did not have Dante Jackson. They lost Joey Porter Junior early in that game. The Steelers rely so much on their corners to be able to cover one on one, so when you're without your top two guys, makes a big difference. They'll have both of those guys this week, and Jay Flowers is going to be and be out in this one. We should mention George Pickens also didn't play in that second matchup. It just feels like everything is aligning this for the Steelers to make this game way more competitive than anybody else that expects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marcus, I love that you recognize that there was a lot of circumstances for that game, you know, and the Steelers are also in the midst as were the Ravens. Three games and eleven days a brutal stretch. They were pretty banged up and they're kind of getting kicked while they were down. But they're in a lot different spot right now. As mentioned, you and I do a Dynasty show, and you know, you're on top of all these skill position players. What do you think they're missing in Zay Flowers? You know, what's your quick profile of him?
Speaker 5: I mean, somebody that can that can get open quickly. They just don't have anybody else on the roster that can win one on one, create quick separation to make plays after the catch. Rashaan Batman's had a really good year. He's this is the best he's played all year. But he's not a number one receiver. He's a really good, complimentary player. And I just if I'm if I'm looking at this from a Baltimore perspective, how do they create big chunk plays in the passing game without Jay Flowers is going to be really hard. And I think what Mike Tomlin is going to do is continue to blitz Lamar Jackson at an absurd rate. He does it more than any other defensive coordinator in the league. And Dare Lamar who has been ship in the playoffs, and Lamar's actually talked about this. He gets a little too eth up for these games. Tried to complete passes down the field that Rashad Bateman, Nelson Aguilar with Pittsburgh's healthy corners back of the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they blitch him on early downs a lot too. Yeah, lots of.
Speaker 5: Run blitzes, right, Yeah, to force them out of first and second ound runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know they even in the win in Baltimore, Lamar had he had three touchdowns in an interception, but it was if he only had like two hundred and seven passing yards. And I think he had twenty two rushing yards in that game. It wasn't a Lamar Lamar game, So in the back of his mind it's not only the playoff stuff that he has to deal with. But he hasn't played well in his career against the Steelers either.
Speaker 5: No, he has, and I do wonder if John Harbaugh is Todd Monkey, just don't go back to a more run heavy offense. And I think Pittsburgh knows that right They know they have to stop Derrick Henry, but that might be the best strategy for Baltimore is to use more two tight end sets, get Isaya likely in the field, and just try to keep this game close until Lamar settles down a little bit. There's been plenty of quarterbacks over NFL history that just take a couple quarters.
Speaker 3: To get going.
Speaker 5: They need to get hit, they need to have things gonna slow down for them. I think Lamar is one of those quarterbacks. I wouldn't be surprised if we have like a Steve into six first half between Baltimore.
Speaker 1: And Pittsburgh, which is right up the Steelers alley. For a game like this, you exactly probably some sort of weather. Of course, you know the Steelers are going to be aggressive physically, you know, with nothing to lose at this point, and you mentioned likely, we kind of assume at this point they're a very light, you know, eleven personnel offense. Anyway, I'd be shocked if we see a third receiver on the field hardly at all. I mean, that's gonna be likely and Andrews. But those guys aren't your chippers against what you know. I mean, that's gonna be Charlie Kohler, which isn't a threat.
Speaker 5: And actually Charlie Kohler's out in this game.
Speaker 1: He got hurt last week.
Speaker 5: So yes, it's probably gonna be Patrick Riccard. Like we must see twenty two personnel in this game, and honestly, that might be the best way to attack Pittsburgh anyways, is try to load up, make Pittsburgh's defensive line have to try to get off blocks.
Speaker 1: And make tackles.
Speaker 5: I will say, I think with Pittsburgh having such a long losing streak in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if this is finally the playoff game where Mike Tomlin unleashes a little bit. I don't think he can play a conservative game plan and necessarily win this. This is the healthiest he's been in the playoffs in the last several years. Remember t J. Watt didn't play last year year else Yeah, it's they're pretty much healthy from you know, the team they had starting in October. I just wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that Tomlin is a little bit more aggressive than what we're used to seeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you either have the the you know, the weapons and everything, or you don't. And it is interesting to to me at least, you know, I think back, and I brought this up earlier in the week. I think back to the twenty fourteen playoff game the Steelers played against the Ravens where they had to win a division in the final week of the season against the Bengals, and so they played it to win it. Le'Veon Bell gets hurt, and so they go into the game the following week against the Ravens, who were the wild card team. Ravens are healthy, the Steelers are missing Le'Veon Bell, who's their best offensive weapon, and lo and behold, the Ravens win that game. There's some correlation here between that and you know what's going on with Flowers and.
Speaker 5: The other thing I want to point out about this game is it feels like the longer that Pittsburgh stays in it, the better their chances are of winning. Because I don't know about you guys, but whenever I watch Justin Tucker now, I expect him.
Speaker 3: To miss, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I have the complete opposite feeling with Chris Boswell, like, hey, get it inside the forty two yard line and that kicks is going to be good. It doesn't matter if it's raining or snowing or winny. He is so clutch. And I think that's gonna have to factor into how the Ravens play this. I don't think they want to play a game where they have to rely on their defense to make a stop or Justin Tucker to make a fifty yard field goal. So again, I think if Pittsburgh can keep this game close going into the fourth quarter, they're gonna have a great chance of stealing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just everybody knows.
Speaker 3: Your prediction in the game score was Steelers twenty, Ravens nineteen, So you're expecting that kind of game.
Speaker 5: It's probably the only way Pittsburgh can win, right. But the good news for this in.
Speaker 1: The thirties, I don't love their chances, right.
Speaker 5: No, No, Pittsburgh excels at playing twenty to nineteen games like Mike Tomlin loves it. And I do think that Baltimore has a tendancy, especially in the first playoff game, to be a little tight, and the longer that they stay tight and the fewer big plays they create down the field, I just think gonna get more anxious for them as the game goes on.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up the special team slash kicker advantage, but Steelers have been really strong on special teams all year, and Harbaugh over his career is always at the top of the league of special teams and that's changed drastically lately. But the other things in the margins at favor of the Steelers are Baltimore is the second heaviest penalized team in the entire league. Steelers are kind of middle of the road to below or above average, and then turnovers. I mean, despite not being great in turnover differential during this losing streak, there's still second overall to the Bills and where the Ravens are kind of middle of the road. So bounces and winning in the margins I think really favors Pittsburgh, and.
Speaker 5: We should mention in that second matchup, I believe there were four fumbles in that game and Baltimore recovered them all.
Speaker 1: Now, no fumble lately at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was right, and it's really hard to predict that. But if one or two of those go your way, you don't. You never know. And again, Baltimore is a very talented team, but they're sloppy. They're sloppy on offense with penalties. I think they had eight pre stat penalties against Pittsburgh that first game. We saw the fumble by Derrick Henry. They are not a super clean team and that's why they can lose some of these games to far lesser teams. Again, I just don't trust Baltimore in the playoffs yet to not step on their toes and these kind of games.
Speaker 3: And Marcus looking at some of the other games here this weekend, obviously everybody's going to be keyed in on all these games, particularly in our area here in the AFC games. It's an AFC Saturday and the Chargers are at the Houston Texans, the Chargers favored NET game.
Speaker 4: Who do you like in that one?
Speaker 5: Oh? I love the Chargers this week. I'd be surprised that that line was only two and a half or three when it first came out. Chargers are playing really well. They've scored at least thirty four points in their last three games. It feels like that offense it's taken a bit, but the offense is finally starting to click. Meanwhile, Houston's defense is really good. That offense is a train wreck right now. I just don't see how CJ's Droub without Tank Dell, without Stefan Diggs and with a pretty bad offensive line is able to score more than seventeen to twenty points.
Speaker 4: That's why they went and got Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 5: So we think we'll see deonce this week because I have right who knows the way you can put him out there.
Speaker 1: Do you think the Texans are the weakest team in the in the playoffs? Yeah? Probably that's Arow lines by the weakest unit.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I kind of thought last week it would have been better if Pittsburgh ended up playing Houston in Round one, sure, rather than even hosting Baltimore as the three seed. Uh, I would expect Houston to get bounced pretty quickly. This is just not a good matchup for them at all.
Speaker 4: How about Denver, Buffalo.
Speaker 5: I would be nervous if I'm a Buffalo fan. He worked so hard for this number two seed, and what's your reward is playing Sean Payton in one of the best defenses in the NFL. Buffalo's defense has been kind of an issue. In December, they gave up forty four points to the Rams forty two to the Lions. I believe I don't love rookie quarterbacks playing on the road in Round one, but I'm sure Sean Payton's gonna come up with a really good game plan to try to nickel and dine Buffalo's defense, which has worked a lot this season. I think Buffalo will win this game, but man, I do not feel confident about it at all. I think that spread of nine, I think it's eight and a half nine is way too high.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. I think Denver's defense keeps that very very interesting down to the end. You mentioned rookie quarterbacks. You know we've talked fantasy you and I a ton over the year. Here, I think there's be a ton of points in Washington Tampa. I mean, I know it's a rookie quarterback but you know, for those people doing like postseason fantasy, I want to get everyone I can in that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Matt, I was looking at the over under on that game and it was fifteen. I was like, that's just the first half lineall live, because because I don't see how either of these defenses are going to get stops in this now. Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay's defense was getting shred by Spencer Rattler last.
Speaker 1: Week in a mocking game.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, Washington, who they were trying to beat Dallas, Trey Lance was moving the ball up and down the field. So I expect that to be a thirty four to thirty one type of game. But I think I'm gonna lean Tampa Bay just because they have a lot of veterans who have been in big games. I think Baker Mayfield is playing obviously the best football of his career. But honestly, that's probably the game I'm most excited to watch this this week. It should be a ton of fun.
Speaker 4: How about Green Bay Philadelphia?
Speaker 3: I know there's still some we're assuming Hurts is going to we don't know what's up with Hurts here. He hasn't been cleared yet, but assuming he does play. Do you think they handle the Packers or is this a situation where maybe he's coming back he's a little rusty after a few weeks.
Speaker 5: So what last year green Bay was the seventh seed and they went and played an NFC East team in Round one and they beat him. I'm not gonna mention what team that is because I happened to be a fan of that team out in Dallas.
Speaker 1: But no, I know the Cowboys question before you leave too.
Speaker 5: I I don't think this is a good matchup for Green Bay. I think, especially without Christian Watson, I just don't know how they're going to create plays vertically against Vicks Sangio's defense. I would expect Philadelphia to win this game by at least a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Me too, I think Philly might be the best team in the league right now. To be honest with you, So where are you on, Sam Donald? I mean, that's obviously our last game. Did we see a chink in the armor? Was there a bad day or is the the damn about to break?
Speaker 3: On?
Speaker 5: Sam Donald, I'm not all that concerned. I thought a great They did a great job of getting pressure. The red zone defense was awesome. Sam Donald has played too well this year to get overly concerned about a road game against the number one team maybe in the NFL. I think Sam's gonna be fine. I think they're gonna put up a bunch of points against the Rams this week.
Speaker 3: It should be interesting because as it works out the way the league scheduled this, all the AFC games first, yeah, and then you get the NFC playoffs. I don't know if they planned it that way or why they would have done it that way, but that's what we get.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think what Fox just didn't want to give up the Packers Eagles game, which I understand. And then Sunday. I can't believe Sunday Night football chows Commanders and Buccaneers, but I get it. Those are two of the best offenses in the league. So it should be fun.
Speaker 1: Our Steelers haven't played on a normal Sunday and about an eternity. I mean, they're always on Christmas or three days and eleven days or Saturday or Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think. I think this is five straight games they've played not on a Sunday, which is pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: It's the longest streak they've gone without playing a Sunday game. Since their first year in nineteen thirty three. It's nuts, and they the Pennsylvania Blue Laws to deal with. That's where that's where we're at with this whole thing.
Speaker 4: But I knew.
Speaker 3: Whether it was going to be the Ravens coming to Pittsburgh or the Steelers going to Baltimore. Whichever way that worked out, that game was going to be Saturday night because it's must see TV.
Speaker 1: Oh it'll it'll get some ratings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if they would have went and played Houston in round one, you know that game.
Speaker 4: Is on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Houston's played that Saturday afternoon game about twenty five straight years.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So Mark, as we mentioned it, I mean you host lock on Cowboys too, And to me, that's probably the only coaching change that still could happen. Do you think they're out of the woods, Are they bringing McCarthy back or what's your tot take on that or is it done?
Speaker 5: I think McCarthy and Jerry Jones would like a deal to get done, but I think there's some things that are holding it up. For example, who's going to be the defensive coordinator? Mike Zimmer. Cowboys really like him, they want him back. He might retire, so that's part of the issue. They don't want to bring McCarthy back without knowing who the defensive coordinator is. And also McCarthy wants a five year deal. He wants some security and not just being another lane duck. Coach Jerry Jones wants them to come back on a one year deal to prove that he can right the wrongs of the season. I think they're going to come to a opromise. But if they don't, watch out for Kellum Moore to potentially come in and take his job.
Speaker 1: What would you do.
Speaker 5: I would probably move on to try to get one of these younger head coaches, maybe Lee and Collen from Tampa Bay. I don't think Ben Johnson wants any of this mess, but I think it's time to give some new energy to the building.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, Marcus, we appreciate your time here. We'll let you get back. I know it's a busy time of the year and you get probably seventeen more articles right for the thirty third team, But our guest has been Marcus Mosher of the thirty third team and of course the Locked On Network. You can check out Marcus's work on the thirty third team, and that's the spelled out thirty third, the number thirty third and then team great stuff on there. Again, we referenced that website all the time on this show, and we appreciate Marcus sharing some time with us and we'll see if he's right after this weekend up some good point a lot of Steeler Steeler fans hoping that is the case and they beat the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 4: Marcus, appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, Thanks Elves.
Speaker 3: He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. We're gonna take a break, Matt now, I'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 2: This is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 4: And we are back.
Speaker 3: I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson And uh, well, we just talked with Marcus Mosher from the Third Team, and I almost felt like he's been listening to the show because these are things we've been talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he reiterated a lot of things we talked about in the first segment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even have been talking about all week again, you know everything you hear from.
Speaker 1: National and national and even if.
Speaker 3: You're listening to that other state in town, the Steelers have no chance to win this game.
Speaker 4: And I don't think it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't either, And I am shocked by the line and the public perception. And I also understand you know, you and I have done this a long time. This is a what have you done for me lately? Business? Especially through the fans' eyes, you know, like up, it's over or boy. The Ravens are untouchable. It's hard to win five games in a row. It's hard to win playoff games. It's hard to beat, you know, a rival that knows you extremely well. I'm sure the Ravens look at some things that they like in this game, for sure, But I don't think they were doing cartwheels when the bracket came out.
Speaker 4: I don't think so either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was not not one that you you know, again, you had the choice here if you're John Harve, Okay, we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna win the division.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what we're trying to do here.
Speaker 3: Right, We're trying to do But then our opponent's going to be my brother Mike Tomlin, right, like, oh man, yeah, that doesn't can't we get the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get somebody that that doesn't know me so well. You know, that knows me as well as I know myself, and certainly Tomlin does. And that works both ways. But Tomlin's had the edge and that advantage over the years, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so the fact, yeah, Steelers have a little news here. They've released wide receiver Scotty Miller from the active roster. And I know some people might look at that and go, oh, I mean's Roman Wilson's coming over? And I'm sure that's the automatic response to that. Mason McCormick is questionable for this game.
Speaker 1: He's a broken hand.
Speaker 4: He's a broken hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you might need another offensive lineman, one more.
Speaker 1: Active on game days that you thought, you know, just because even if McCormick starts the game, what if he gets it wrong on a helmet or whatever, and all of a sudden, it's like I can't catch anymore.
Speaker 3: Catches it on somebody's ear. That's that's what happens all the time with that. So I don't have any ligaments in my my right thumb. I tore the ligaments of my thumb my senior year in high school and didn't tell anybody.
Speaker 1: During basketball season.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to have to miss any games.
Speaker 3: I already missed some games with a knee issue, but so I toughed it out all. I didn't even tape it, okay, just didn't lay might not, just didn't let anybody know. And we have to bump it every all five second time you catch it on somebody's jersey. You catch it, it's like it just it's just constantly like ah yeah, and it's just like somebody and even.
Speaker 1: He'll protect it. Yeah, but he's also blocking three hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody bending that thing backwards a little bit and putting pressure on the and you feel it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're just going to.
Speaker 1: He's not going to do a club or anything like that.
Speaker 3: From what I said, he's not going to do any kind of you know.
Speaker 1: You hardly ever see people do the old club thing anymore. Yeah, Like you've got to be able to grab and use your hands independently. I mean, it's just not a hammer. No, but no, I give him all the credit in the world, but that's not going to be an easy you know, sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean you can do things to mitigate that a little bit. But you know, at the same time, you know, it's a broken bone in your hand, and it does it also affects your grip strength and things of that nature.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean people think it's illegal to hold, but you grabbed cloth a low.
Speaker 4: To grab outside, right, right, you can grab.
Speaker 1: Inside and still grab outside too, as long as they don't. It's important, right, Like Zach Frazier is great grip strike. That's suff's important. Let me say about that. So if he can't go or if he's pulled from the game, Spencer Anderson would be his backup, right, I mean, I think we've seen that that's set pretty well. But then you're really lean, you know. I mean, so I assume what you're guessing is Miller makes way for the other Anderson just to be active on game day potentially. Yeah, you know they they've That doesn't mean Miller's day is a Steeler are gone. I mean, he could end up backing them, but.
Speaker 4: He's now can out signed with anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of teams right now filling out rosters, and you know you're into the season roster and that kind of stuff. So you know, but that that's to me is where that goes. The need right now.
Speaker 4: Is on the offensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always find that interesting. It's like this business is brutal. You know, Millar didn't do anything wrong and anything asked of them. Hold for an extra point, sure, be a gunner, sure, but in this instance he's the fifty third guy and another position is needed, and they're not gonna cut McCormick, you know, right, you know you're not gonna cut Spencer Anderson. So somebody needs to go. And unfortunately that's the way it works. I mean, some of these guys bounce around the league a lot because of that.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the holding stuff.
Speaker 3: The last game, the Baltimore Ravens had just two penalties in that game in Baltimore season low.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you mentioned before, they were the second highest most penalized team in the league. Yeah, this season, and they had two penalties in that Gay. I don't know if they have it fixed, by the way. No, that's one thing they do either, huge things.
Speaker 1: You know, like the first time the Steelers and Ravens met Man back into the defense is a disaster, you know, blown coverage is left and right. You know, obviously some people were playing out of position or not in their best spot back then. And penalties, man, you know, they they let people back into games. You know, Marcus mentioned this is a sloppy team, you know, and I don't think that part got fixed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had twelve penalties for eighty yards in the first meeting.
Speaker 1: Okay, twelve for eighty I even remember when they came out of their by they had kind of a pseudo next by. They played the Giants when they were horrendous yea at that point, and they had a bunch of penalties in that game too. I mean, so it's pretty recently. I don't think they've cleaned that part of their game up.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of interesting that that some because that was one of the things that I looked at going into that game, like, okay, because they were the most penalized team going into that game and have and again it's held up that they ended up second most. Somehow they made it through that game. The Steelers were penalized five times for twenty nine yards, just the Ravens had two for ten. Yeah, they didn't hold the entire game, entire game they didn't have any penalties down the field for legal contact, which has been another big reflarement.
Speaker 1: That's their big areas. Yeah, and so recepts stuff they usually have issues with.
Speaker 4: Right, didn't do any of that stuff in that game.
Speaker 1: Maybe that'll come come around a little bit, right or even out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So but again, if if you look at that game, it was seventeen seventeen in the third quarter, with the third quarter was almost done, and it was seventeen seventeen, and people were acting like that game was just a complete blowout all the Ravens was thirty four to seventeen. They just they just ran them off the field. That was not the case.
Speaker 1: No, no, it wasn't. And there were some game changing moments. Marcus brought it up too. I mean, ball hit the ground quite a few times and you just weren't able to pick it up. I mean, we did that video with Rob today and one of you two, I thought it was him, mentioned how many times the ball came out during this losing streak and how many times the Steelers have landed on it. It's just, you know, a ridiculously low percentage that even if you don't get fifty percent, like usually does even out. If you get thirty percent, things may have gone a little different. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Ravens had three fumbles in that game. Yeah, and this, and the Steelers recovered none of them. Yeah, like that's that's just fumble.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were zero for four in that game and fumble. You know it just that's one of the things about this game. I mean, there is a lot of variables about it like that.
Speaker 3: And honestly, outside of the of the pass that he threw that was intercepted, I thought Russell Wilson played pretty well in that game.
Speaker 1: I didn't think the defense greatly confused them, or all their simulated pressures were you know, too much to deal with that he couldn't handle it. Yeah, I think he'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Against he was he was twenty two or thirty three for two hundred and seventeen yards with two touchdowns in an interception. If he goes twenty, if he throws for two seventeen and two touchdowns in this game, I'll take that. Yeah, I think I would take cut the interception out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, you have to take that. Yeah. Yeah, I think that's safe to say. I think that they'll be a fair amount of short passing, I think the backs will ketch, so the fair amount of balls got away from that. That was working well leading into the Bangals.
Speaker 3: Jalen Warren had five catches for forty four yards in that game.
Speaker 1: He had a nice streak going of yards from scrimmage, you know, fifty five, sixty five, seventy, you know, week after week after week.
Speaker 3: He just got nicked up in the last game and they didn't have They didn't A, they didn't have the ball long enough in the first half for anybody to put up any kind of stats. Yeah, but b then in the third quarter he got nicked up on a run. And I included when it was walking on TV.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people listening didn't know that either. Yeah, there was a play. Announcers came out and like, why is he getting the seat of Warren or why don't we getting more Warren? That was never explained.
Speaker 3: It was because Warren was nicked up. I mean he took I think he took a helmet to the to the hip hip and kind of limped off and you didn't see him the rest of the game. That was maybe on the opening possession of the second half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would think he's a much bigger part of this game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's explosive, really really well and gives you a little something, a little juice there.
Speaker 1: But if you fire moves turned the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, and people forget as well. In that game, Warren had twelve carries for forty eight yards. Harris had nine for forty two. The Steelers ran the ball effectively against the Ravens in that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a little bit of a misconception. You brought this up earlier in the week that this is.
Speaker 3: A defense you just can't run on, not anymore seventy six Coyle Hamilton's fifteen yards off the line of scrimms. Coyle Hamilton's very good against the run, very good against That was one of the concessions that the Ravens had to make.
Speaker 1: Which is a smart move for them, but it's you know.
Speaker 3: They're easier to run against now than they were if they were like three point three yards per carry.
Speaker 4: They're leading the season.
Speaker 1: There, and also load some of those numbers were misleading too because they were so bad against the pass. Yeah, like, oh, they're only allowing seventy yards per game rushing, Why would you run whenever you can bombs away, right, and nobody knows who to cover, right, So the run defense is good and there's no question.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there's here's gay.
Speaker 3: I mean brokewe what doesn't mean you don't try?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say I and the Steelers didn't shy away from it from what I remember in either meeting.
Speaker 4: I mean you had twenty one.
Speaker 3: You had twenty one carries out of your two prime I'm mary backs for ninety yards, all right, that's over four yards of carry.
Speaker 1: And if Marcus is right and this is a seven to six game at the half, well they're gonna keep going with it. Yeah, mean they just keep sticking with it. And I like that approach. Yeah, short throws shots over the top here and there.
Speaker 3: Let's let's get to a break that's going to do it for our number one of the drive here on the Steelers Audio Network, Matt and I'll be back with our number two right after this