Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour we meet Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio on a wild Card Sunday as it goes all weekend long. A couple of games yesterday, two more was it? Two more games today. I don't even have the schedule for me. There's a bunch of games today and then there's one last game, one last game tomorrow, Danny NFL Wild Card Weekend continues. On today's today's card. You have the early game, the Broncos and the Bills. There's three games it Packers Eagles. That's the middle game, and then the Commanders and the Bucks tonight, and then tomorrow the Vikings and the Rams in Arizone. Because all these fires, Nanny and you, I know, we were texting each other during the week. You've been busy here on assignment the last couple of a couple of days. You couldn't join us. You produce the podcast, but you couldn't join us because you've been running all over the place. Here you were in a zone where the fires did cause you some problems.
Speaker 3: Double doozy here where I live. Not only are we on the north end of the Palisades fire, we were straight in line for the Kenneth fire as well, And that one is the one that really scared my town. In fact, if they hadn't been able to do the water drops and get that fire controlled as well as they did, the town I stay in would have been to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked a little bit yesterday on the On Saturday podcast about the fact they think now that the Palisades fire was started by arsonists, that they were there were a couple of men caught on camera lighting using gasoline to light the fire moments before in Palisades, and it you know, I talked about a little bit yesterday the podcast, But it does seem that if not all of these fires, many of them, that the big ones were started by individuals.
Speaker 3: Did you see citizens on patrol who in Woodland Hills held down that guy, oh they believe started the Kenneth fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's crazy. As I mentioned this yesterday, I don't know your thoughts on it, but it's one of those weird catch twenty two situations because the people that provide news, whether it's online or old school media, anytime there's a big wind event around here, they make sure to let everyone a home high wind red flag warning all this stuff fire danger, And it's I think I said yesterday, it's like a dog whistled Danny to people that love, you know, they have that love of fire and anarchy and all that, Like, well, well, it's like they're telling them to go out and start trouble. It's uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Or I wonder too, Ben where it was started in Pacific Palisades. As you know, there is a good amount of money. There are some of these arsonists, at least for that fire, the ones that were waiting in.
Speaker 4: The wings to loot.
Speaker 1: This is shame.
Speaker 3: Your wife does this for a living. They were getting nine to one one calls from homeowners saying that they saw people going into the neighborhoods to loot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, I mean I know those conspiracies out there. As I have said, you know, who knows what's actual truth and not. And during COVID. During COVID, there were people telling us, Oh, that's a conspiracy, and then now years later we found out no, actually did happen that way. So but yeah, I saw some of the stuff online about that that they're you know, some of the South American gangs had started the fire, but I don't know that seems like even for them, like what would they rent U haul trucks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also hard to think you would want those sort of working conditions, even if you were a criminal, like to that degree, would you want to be in the middle of a burning, out of control blaze like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know the whole thing. I think the scene where the people left their cars, they just left their cars and the palisades and then walked down because they couldn't get out, and then the cars they used the bulldozer and then the fire burned the cars anyway, so it didn't really matter.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: That was the scariest part of the apocalyptical scene is that the.
Speaker 1: Word just go with it if you say it, like people did.
Speaker 4: I make that word up? You O be five dollars.
Speaker 1: That's a great word. It sounds like I was like, you know what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: You put up yeah, yeah, the apocalyptical scene getting onto the one oh one freeway, which from where we live back in this canyon. It's usually I don't know about a five to ten minute drive to get to the freeway. It took Brenda and she calls me while I was on Covino and Rich and says, you got to get here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: They are evacuating our street. And when you hear those words on the phone, you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Rich Davis same thing. He had to drop his headphones and run to his car. We're both running to the parking garage. Brenda's on the phone asking me, well, what do you want of yours thrown in the back of the car. Honestly, I didn't know what to tell her. Well, I take that back, I said, grab my Marcus Allen Rookie card, the graded one, the ten out.
Speaker 1: Of ten that's going to get the kid to college right there, That's the one.
Speaker 4: I told her.
Speaker 3: I don't know my birth certificate, my Social Security card.
Speaker 4: I honestly wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: And then I now am having trouble on the one on one freeway getting here to get even towards my town. As you know, later we found out that the Kenneth fire triggered an alarm in a lot of LA residents who weren't supposed to get the alarm that.
Speaker 4: Weren't in this area.
Speaker 3: The one on one all of a sudden was flooded with people doing the same thing I was doing, except I was actually going to a neighborhood that was evacuated. There were people trapped on the one on one who got a false alarm and were stuck on the freeway trying to turn around. So it was the biggest mess you could imagine. I had a hell of a time getting here, meeting her somewhere north, and then it took us two hours just to get to a town two cities above us. And then every exit we were trying to get to to eat and have a screaming baby and a dog and a cat have a breakout of the car. It was a nightmare because everything was pitch black. All the power and turned off all the power in these towns. Finally found a shopping center that was alive with power on, and as you can imagine. It was flooded with people. Even some people just camped out, staying in the parking lot. There were a couple of fire crews inside the restaurant we were at. They were stopping to grab a bite on their way to fight fires in Calabasas.
Speaker 4: Surreal.
Speaker 3: It was one of the strangest moments for me ever in southern California. And as you know, we've been through earthquakes and a lot of crazy shit where we live, but nothing ever like this.
Speaker 1: It's been a wild week. Man, It's just crazy. So I said, there is a silver lining. I will be Benny Brightside without a shadow of doubt. Danny. We have learned the mayor of Los Angeles is completely incompetent, and we have also learned that the governor of the state of California just can't stop lying. I love the fact that a random mom took down I don't I don't know who that woman is. That the viral video. Oh yes, Oh it was so good. He's such a little snake. Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, of California, and for him to be pantsed that was that was actually worse than the during COVID when he was eating at the French laundry. Uh, he's such. I'm on the foe with the president right now. Can I hear the conversation? Well, I don't actually have cell reception. H such a good Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Not not to get into politics. But not only did more people in our state vote the other direction, more people now are pushing for new leadership and to get some of the slimy weasels out of our state here. And really, politics shouldn't matter when a catastrophe happens in our country. Any good Americans should get behind the other Americans that are going through It should not matter about anything else, including politics.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 3: I understand a lot of people have some hate towards our state of California, but not all of us are haterable.
Speaker 4: Not all of us are the problem.
Speaker 3: And I think, Ben, we are going to have a cleaning of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the first thing we need to do is hire competent people and stop with you know, filling quotas and all that stuff. Get people that can actually do the job. The fact that you ran out of water, I mean they ran out of water.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: How do you run out of water. If you're a well run city, it's insanity and that right there. You know, I don't you know all the backshop, I've read a lot of stuff. Again, you don't know what's real what's not. Some of the people that are in charge were hired because of the the DEI stuff or whatever. It's just it's insane. But the mayor Karen bass in la that that will be the video that gets her removed as mayor. The video for at the airport confronted by I guess it was a British reporter who kept asking her questions and she didn't say anything. She reminds me of Mitch McConnell. Yes, yeah, she's she's not that old. I guess she's old.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how old she is. She's how old she is, she's she's You know, you're the mayor of Los Angeles. You should be able to roll with the punches right.
Speaker 4: And really quick.
Speaker 3: Then to the firefighters and the pilots doing the water drops, we salute.
Speaker 1: You God bless truly. Yeah. Now, the fire firefighters are great, all the first responders, the people that work for the different cities, I mean just just great. There was a video that went viral from the one I don't know. I can't keep track of all the names of the fires. The one in the Hollywood Hills, I don't even I don't know which one that was. Think about where we are, Danny. There have been so many fires this week we don't even know, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was that the sunset fire?
Speaker 1: Okay, the sunset fire. So there's that video of the fire, the drop the plane drop water.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, like Curry hitting a turnaround three.
Speaker 1: Oh, it just nailed it right, just perfect release and put out the fire. Shot, shot is shot and it was just awesome, all right.
Speaker 3: It was just Rich Davis said that pilot was probably chewing on a mouthpiece like Steph Curry.
Speaker 1: That was It was great, man, that was That was awesome. I mean, that's that's the kind of stuff that fires you up. Have you heard from I've heard from people I haven't heard from in a long time.
Speaker 3: In the last couple of days. I met my dad for the first time two days ago. I'm glad to get to the mail bag here for some normalcy. And the games have helped a little bit a little bit of a distraction.
Speaker 4: So nice to have the wild Card games going to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely let's get to the Sunday mail bag in Ohio. It's all right, thank you, OHI. These are actual letters by actual listeners. If you're a fan of the Fifth Hour podcast, if you want to support the podcast, how do you support the podcast? You let people know about the podcast. You tell a friend, you sign them up. If you've got older parents or uncles or aunts or cousins and they've got smartphones, sign them up to automatically follow the Fifth Hour podcast and then they get the pod delivered into their device. And then if you can get them to listen for what two minutes, Danny, two or three minutes is all we need? Five would be great. Just a couple minutes, we get credit. We're happy, you're happy, everyone's happy. Right, That's the way the world goes. Or you can do that and send a message in care of Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Put your name in there and the city you're from if you want us to give your love. Otherwise we'll just say you're anonymous. We'll just say you're anonymous. And you can also make sure to put mail in the headline so I know it's for the mail bag and that's the way that goes. But the first one is from Ryan C. From Shrewsbury and he writes and he says, Ben and Danny as an Avid dedicated listener for over two years. How about that two years this guy's been with us? He says, I must know something. My right hand was getting a workout. Drop, Where did that come from? And what's the backstory to that my right hand was getting a workout.
Speaker 3: I remember you explaining this years ago.
Speaker 4: It has to do with a TV remote, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I was watching there were a couple of NFL I think it was the NFL. I had to be the NFL. There were a couple of NFL games that were going on, and I was trying to watch both games at the same time on one television. So I kept flipping back and forth, and I said, uh, you know, I not realize everything is being saved for posterious but I said, hey, my right hand is getting My right hand was getting a workout. Was because I kept going back and forth between these two stupid freaking NFL games. I said that probably, you know, fifteen years ago, it's still to this day. One of the more popular drops on.
Speaker 3: Now your famous metal cock drop that actually came from a workout at the gym, right.
Speaker 1: I was attracted to the giant metal cock. Well it was actually I was at a nightclub. No, yeah, geez, some of the you know.
Speaker 4: Do the drops? What makes those drops so great? Though? Did you say it with authority with your chest out?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you you know, it's got a little bit of like for a while, Lorrainer wasn't putting any drops, and she's putting drops in now. But I often forget, as you know, Danny, we've done this a long time. We both started we were kids in radio, and so you get so used, so comfortable with a microphone, and sometimes you're not sure, like am I on the air? Am I not on the air? You know? You know? And sometimes because you're so comfortable, you just start yapping and I do it. Sometimes I'll put a little extra sauce on it, you know what I mean, They and a little extra sauce. Yeah, you're on the radio. And then it comes back to haunt me and for the rest of my life, I have to hear these stupid soundbites that get played.
Speaker 3: You also know that it's an oldie, but goodie drop when your voice is in the high register, because you are like sixteen years old.
Speaker 4: I know when it was recorded.
Speaker 3: For instance, a few days ago on Covino and Richie, we were talking about dippings. They were saying, what dips are the best? Somebody was ranting about Chick fil A sauces and they were talking about different sauces, and suddenly I hear Iowa, Sam, play a drop. That's your voice, and it's you saying something about a snack snacks, and your voice it sounded like you weren't even twenty years old yet. That's when I know it's vintage. Ben Maller.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's some some drops in there. I was telling the story the other day. It came up on the show. Somebody brought it up. I forget how about I think this was a Roberto. I don't think it was you that put this in, but it was when I told the story of I was at Lax.
Speaker 4: Roberto did the original work.
Speaker 3: I cleaned the drop up to make it sound smoother, and I used that drop often here on the fifth hour.
Speaker 1: He blew me off at a hotel near Lax. Yeah. Yeah, so I was a reporter for six ninety. They sent me to an airport hotel at Lax. Wayne Gretzky had been traded from the Kings to the Saint Luke Cruise. So they state the radio station in San Diego's like, hey, get out there, we're the flagship of the Kings. Gretzkild You just listened to him tall and then on his way out, just grab him, get him to call in and say goodbye to the Kings fans. I said, no problem, I'll do it. So I went out there, and this was hastily arranged. I remember the night it was hastily arranged. I was, you know, single dude. I had no life, So I was like what they all go out there? So I park at the hotel near Lax. I go into the the conference hall. They had thrown some chairs in there and a table and a backdrop for this news commerce. So I go in there and Gretzky's talking and the you know, some executives from the Kings were talking and all that, and they were saying how emotional it was and all this bull bullpucky, and so then the interviews over the news commers is over. So I go over to Wayne Gretzky and his you know, his brutes, his bullies, whatever goons. And and I'm of course expecting this to go very smooth because I drove all the way out here to hear, you know, the nonsense, and to get Gretzky on. I had my phone dialed up on the hotline, the warm line to six ninety in San Diego, and I explained who I am. I very confidently say Wayne, you want to say goodbye to the Kings fans and was completely blown off, completely blown off by.
Speaker 4: I believe he said he blew me off, But it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was because I still remember that he had to catch like a flight to Saint Louis or wherever the Blues were playing, I don't know, and he uh, and they had a whole entourage of people that were with him to Saint Louis or wherever.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was really was that the most memorable place you've ever been blown off?
Speaker 1: It was not the most enjoyable, enjoyable.
Speaker 4: I love your stories.
Speaker 3: Behind the drops, it's like behind the music, it's the radio version behind the drop.
Speaker 1: Oh no, well, there's a bunch. I mean, anybody wants to hear any stories about any drops just email the Fifth Hour mail bag Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Alf in Fullerton writes, and this must you think this is the real alf I don't know, he says. I know I took he says, rather, I know. I look like a huge hypocrite for asking if you guys plan to move out of California in the future and then move in. But in my defense, I am sick and tired of paying for parking. I'd rather risk my house burning down than ever pay for parking again. And Fullerton really is a beautiful, magical as Mayor Mike said it is. I'm loving the downtown overrun by trees. None of the trees catching on fire so far is a nice bonus. There's one other big reason why I moved to sow cal from Springfield, Mass. I can now proudly say I live three thousand miles away from the totally disgraced name iss Nate Smith, basketball Hall of Fame who enshrined that fraud Muffett McGraw. I've been sleeping better ever since. Wow, there's a lot there. There's a lot there. But I don't think there was a question there though, right I don't think there was a question.
Speaker 4: It was just a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Manny writes in from Parts Unknown to not Manny, you got to put your city there, pal if you want us to give you credit, but just say, Manny says, Hey, bandon, Danny, I want to know what you guys thought about this. I think this ties into something you talked about on the Fifth Hour. A couple months back. He sent a news story here of scientists baffled. Do you see this sunken worlds under the sea. Massive structures have been found deep beneath the Pacific Ocean that scientists say should not exist.
Speaker 4: I totally believe this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's like an.
Speaker 4: Apol person beside it and another one inside, and it has big guys that're looking at us. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of my sp I think we did talk about this a couple of months ago with the aliens. I thought one of my theories is that it's not actually UFOs from another place in the galaxy, that there's actually another species that lives in the ocean, like under the ocean. Yeah, they fly out and they examine us the way that we examine cattle or whatever wild animals like for them.
Speaker 3: Or the way we put submarines down in their world exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So I I believe I kind of believe that. So I don't know. You just sent me this story, Manny, I haven't really examined it. I'm looking at it here and.
Speaker 3: Well, you're not the only one that thinks this. I'm not sure who directed it. But do you remember that great movie from back in the day called The Abyss.
Speaker 1: I vaguely remember It's it's been a minute, Danny, It's been a minute.
Speaker 3: That was about alien life way deep down in the sea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the oceans are so I mean, you fly to Hawaii. We both been to Hawaii many times, and you just think, like, there's so much freaking ocean. It's the planet's mostly ocean. It's not land, it's mostly ocean. And you're like, we don't really know what's under there. We Yeah, human beings have been above the water all over the oceans, but they haven't been below the water very bottom.
Speaker 3: So oh, by the way, do I should have known it was a James Cameron movie.
Speaker 4: Oh, James Cameron so early.
Speaker 3: He's known for all of his you know, he loves things happening in the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kevin writes in from Florida, he says, hello from the Free State of Florida. All right, well, thank you, Kevin. I wanted to get your guys take on this. He then sent me a news story Danny's scientists blame a new weather phenomena dubbed hydro climate whiplash for California's wildfires. Yeah, you know what that is? Bullshit? Is what that is? Kevin? I? I mean haven't we we talked you about this, Danny, Like a few minutes ago. There there are people on videos starting the fires.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: At first we kept hearing the two words climate change, and quickly those words were replaced by people's names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like gasoline and matches and yeah, yeah, is that climate change? I guess that is climate change? Right, that's climate change? Why not? So yeah, that story, you know, yeah, I'm sure see the opportunistic That is the word opportunistic. People that know in the science community, they can they can raise money and people will be like, oh, we got to stop these fires. How do we stop these fires? Well, rather than punish the people that are starting the fires and try to, you know, send a message to future idiots, let's say it's climate change, and then we'll raise money and that'll fix the world and we'll be good. Alf from as seen on TV rights and he says, have either of you ever owned a any pulpe or k Tel products. Me and my friends had the Pocket Fishermen and the mini skis and the snow block Maker. Did you ever buy any infomercial products standing back in the.
Speaker 3: Day, Yeah, body By Jake, Oh yeah, body By I have. It's still in my garage somewhere. It's like you sit down on the contraption and then you pull the two handles forward and it's for your abs. It's it's it's I think it was called the ab scissor.
Speaker 1: Nice. I had one of the great rompol Peel products, mister microphone. When I was a kid, I had a mister Micah.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the remember the infomercial the guy trying to pick up on the chicks there and the I can't think of a thing that turns women on more than a mister microphone.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talk about being rico suave with the ladies.
Speaker 4: Man, you just.
Speaker 1: You're good to go.
Speaker 3: Hey baby, I'm broadcasting live from your bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on down. I had that. I bought some. Me and my brother, we were teenagers and we bought some of that. I guess it was wax or polish where you put it on the car and then you could light the car on fire and it wouldn't burn the car. Like. We were so mesmerized we bought it. And the famous story and Alf knows the story this is. I think this predates you, Danny. On the podcast, we were going to have Ron Poupeel on. I had booked Ron Popel. I reached out to his people. Ron Popeel was a multi millionaire from those infomercials and I reached out to him. The man behind the showtime Metisseriy set it, get it, and he was down to do the interview. He was all booked and then at the very last minute he like he was over in Malibu playing with his his grandkids and he's like, mister, I got an emails, mister will be unable to do your interview. So then I was like, reschedule and then no, he's not.
Speaker 4: He passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's dead. So he will definitely be doing the interview. And if he does do the interview, that would be big news, that would be massive news. If he doesn't, great, you killed it. Yeah, we absolutely killed it. And Ron Papeel and his family the products they came up with, the Chappomatic, the Vegematic, the Dialogmatic, Aneomatic Outstanding, the Showtime of vertiseary thing, and these were all Ron pop Peel products. The uh what was the inside the shell eggs scrambler which made a list of the one hundred top gadgets of all time?
Speaker 4: Nice that was for that was.
Speaker 1: An infomercial and product inside the shell egg Scrambler. So, I mean, they were all kinds of things that I loved. The infomercials, the late night infomercials were just just absolutely wonderful. You know, act now Supplies Limited. There was a book written about infomercials for years back, and I read it. I've quoted it many times. Some of the tricks of the infomercial world which are used in advertising to this day. Danny like the infomercial crowd. They it's really a study of human nature and if you're in the business of selling stuff the infomercials. But wait, there's more operators standing by all these phrases that started from infomercials. You know supplies limited, Act now supplies run out offer bonus like the whole way they did. It was absolutely brilliant. Like, I mean, they found out human nature, how people are competitive, and they they would say, you know, have a clock fane scarcity. Feign scarcity gets people to buy stuff. And I often tell my wife when she's she'll come up to me and say, oh, I've got to buy that today because they're gonna run out, the sale is gonna end or whatever, and I just roll my eyes. I'm like, But then she gets upset when I bring this up because she thinks, I know, I think I know everything. But I did learn this in the book about infomercials that I read, the classic classic countdown technique where you systematically lower the price as you near the end of the pitch and you're not supposed to sell the last batch. At that point, the eager customers are waiting, right and you know they want to buy it, and you leave them. It's much like our iHeart training, you know, leave and went in doubt, leave it out, you know, you know that kind of thing. But anyway, I mean, it's there's so many great infomercial but remember Billy Mays, are you the guy with the beard? Are you tired of so and so? Affecting your life. Do you wish that this would be better? Hi, Billy mays here with so easiest way guaranteed order right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was always the same formula.
Speaker 1: It worked. Hey, they make the big Mac the same way. Two all beef patties, you know, and all that. It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Ben, my stepdad was a little bit of an inventor. Oh yeah, he had this contraption called the bathroom buddy. Oh and in one Christmas he brought home a mug.
Speaker 4: Why for me.
Speaker 1: The formula? Dang, the formula is here. It is. I'm gonna give you a formula, okay, right now, the fifth hour. It is one of the oldest tricks in the book. You create a problem, you then sell the solution or you really what you're doing is you're creating the appearance of a problem, right, You're creating the appearance of a problem and then you're coming up with the solution. And it really works in all works of life, no even go down. Look like people will say, a lot of religion is based on you know, we're creating the problem as you're a sinner and you need to find salvation. But anything you know, it's part of the human condition.
Speaker 3: Oh now, the sinning over here was very real for a decade or so.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my kidding. But thank you alf JJ from Maryland Rights and a Ben and Danny and enjoy Joe the Pot. I hope you guys had a good New year. It's what are we in? January twelfth? Now I think we're.
Speaker 4: Past Jesus Man. This past week felt like a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you We'll always remember this week. Well, we're talking about this year from now here at the beginning. Any yeah, he says, JJ, I know this is not a political podcast, but you know it's coming. Yeah. That's a lot when he says this is not a political podcast because he said, but he says, what's your take on the video of Donald Trump and Obama laughing with each other at Jimmy Carter's funeral? Uh? Yeah, I saw this video. I don't know if you saw, Dan, you've been dealing with the fire stuff and all that, But there was a video from Jimmy Carter, President Carter's funeral, and Obama and Trump were sitting side by side and it seemed like they were buddies.
Speaker 3: Oh I saw this clip. To me, it looked like they were telling dad jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they were, they were doing that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reminded me of the great Jesse Ventura who was in our building many many years ago. I've told this story, but Jesse Ventura was the governor of Minnesota. And Jesse was having a conversation with one of the producers in the building and explained that politics and this remember years ago, that politics is very similar to professional wrestling, where the good guys and the bad guys have a common bond. It's all for show that behind the scenes, they all love each other and they hang out with each other. They're all friends, and it's you know, they break the fourth wall and all that. And that's that's what it looked like. And it did remind me that as much I know Trump just you know, he's going to take over here in what eight days, but that people loved him like he was friends with everybody before he got into politics.
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, and he was also the name that was referenced by rappers and songs whenever they talked about being rich someday and having money.
Speaker 1: We love big men. Yeah, So it's like the I think the term is kfab I believe is that what it's called where you know, the portrayal of stage events within professional wrestling, you know, is real.
Speaker 3: Or could have been as simple as Obama nudging Trump and saying, how'd you like that weekend at Burning's Act, We pulled on you?
Speaker 1: Huh. Yeah. Well Trump was going around saying like Obama was not he was born in Kenya or something. I mean, they've been they've been attacking each other, like Obama compared Trump to Hitler, like you look at the history and they're just, you know, buddy, couple of dudes, you know. And I think the funniest part of that was was Kamala Harris. I don't know who did the seating chart at that thing, but they had a sense of humor. So Kamala Harris comes in with her husband and she made sure her husband sat closest to Trump, and I think that they might have been telling a joke about that. I think they might have been joking about that, but I don't know, but I did. I did enjoy the video. It was pretty funny. And there are some people that get so into politics, Danny that that kind of stuff they just they blows their mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like for some people it's like the crips and the bloods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. You know, it's like it's kind of like, how you know, we've over the years we love our sports. I think, over the years, since we've been in it for so long, while we love our sports, Danny, it's not as you know, cutthroat as it used to be for us. We're grown up now and all that, but when you're younger, you're like, you know, this is us against the world, and.
Speaker 4: I some people never grow up exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: All right. Next one from Anonymous, I'm blind and I can't read a restaurant menu. Anonymous says, yeah, one of your blind listeners, I found the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought he meant like he was getting to the age where he needed his iPhone light on the menu.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's Actually I found the show because I heard a blind person talking about some ridiculous thing on there once and someone I know it said it was the best blind show out there. Well, yeah, we are number one. I don't know about the best, because the best means as good as all the rest.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of theatrics on your show, and think about it. If you're blind and your sense of hearing is super good, your show would be number one.
Speaker 1: Well think number one.
Speaker 4: Our show is really good in braille because it's like, you know, it's theater. It's not real. All your callers are paid.
Speaker 1: What Yes, no one would actually call the show. Who else listening at that hour? Anyway? Says if you were blind, how would you all read a restaurant menu? What I do is I usually prepare before I go to the restaurant and memorize the menu online, says Anonymous. H If I was blind, I would have to find a friend who would read the menu to me. Right, wodn't that be the way it would go?
Speaker 3: Well, I would take the waitress and first feel her wrist, I don't know, have you ever seen the Ray Charles movie? And then I would have her tell me the entire menu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all about the risk. That's all you got to do. Anonymous also says, I noticed that your mother in law lives on the West Coast and your father in law lives on the East Coast. You said this much on the podcast. Well, my father in law spends most of the year. Well, he alternates from California to North Carolina. So he spends you know, every every other month in North Carolina in kind of like the Wilmington, North Carolina area, and then where Michael Jordan grew up. And then he lives in California part of the year. My mother in law does live in California year round. Anyway, says you said this much on the podcast. Boy, this guy's a stalker, Danny. That this guy's pandiation anyway, So this is imaginary, obviously, But imagine that your mother in law was dating a fan of the show. How would that make you feel? And if your mother in law got married to the fan, would that make your the fan? Your dad?
Speaker 4: Who is this guy trying to be your daddy?
Speaker 1: That's a little odd. It's a little odd, Daddy.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I did have one flex moment years ago, I think we talked about on the podcast, where I heard from an ex girlfriend that I had not heard from in years. It was one of those deals, Danny, where I was into her and she wasn't really into me. You know what I'm talking about. We've all been there, and I was kind of into her and she didn't really feel the same way about me. So it didn't last and I and I, you know, she lived, you know, in another state, and I hadn't really kept in contact with her. Why would I?
Speaker 4: You hadn't stopped her in years to say?
Speaker 1: And she went on a date with a guy and they one of the questions was what podcast? What shows do you listen to? They were trying to make small talk and the guy said my name and she freaked out, and so that was kind of cool. But do I want my mother in law to know? I think I think we're good on that. Barry in South Carolina rights then says yo yo Ma, Benny and Danny g Is it just me? Or does it seem like all these football announcers are yelling at me? And if it isn't just me, why do these guys see the need to do it? He says? Gus Johnson is the worst. But seems like they're all screaming. You're yelling drives me crazy. A far cry from Pat Summer All, Am I dating myself? Well yeah, a little bit, Berry, But Danny isn't the thing now. Now it's all about that viral moment. It's hard to go viral if you're understated, like Pat summer Ale was. You got to be over the top for the kids, for the for the TikTok, Right, Danny, you gotta be over the top.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And this is also the reason why there's criticism on al Michaels recently, because it takes a lot to get that guy excited. You don't want to announcer that's going to overdo it for just a regular sort of play. But you also don't want an announcer who sounds like he's hitting the snooze button when it is a game changing play that just happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Al's Al's in his eighties now. He've been pretty mellow, pretty mellow when he's doing the game right. He's modest, understated, and for Al for one of these events, for al Michaels to be a really big deal, Al's called the biggest sporting events in the world. What's he going to take for something to rise to the level? Not some random Thursday night game on Amazon between two dog food teams. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Who's the announcer who listens to our show? Oh?
Speaker 1: Kevin Harlan, Oh dude.
Speaker 4: Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 3: I love because even though he gets loud at times, he's so excitable that he could make a boring game sound interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, for sure, Kevin's he's got a sense of humor. He'll call, he'll do play by play when guys went on the field. That was one of the coolest things about it. Oh yeah, the Super Bowl the last couple of years being able to go. I'm not gonna be able to make it this year because it's in New Orleans. That's a little out of the geographically desiral. But I should go the following year, assuming we're all here in San Francisco, so I should be able to get to that one radio row.
Speaker 3: That should be fun. We'll get some hotel rooms right on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we don't even need hotel rooms san Francisco. You just sleep on the street.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, the company will be we want you to live the Rustics, just go lifestyle.
Speaker 4: Do you think they'll give us some iHeart blankets?
Speaker 1: No, No, they're going to give us FSR branded tense And they don't even have to get us toilets. You just shit on the streets in San francisc all you need to do. All right, we'll get out on that day. We got football today and the ram My rams in Arizona tomorrow on Monday. Hopefully these fires will completely go away because I know the wind's supposed to pick up on I think Tuesday, so hopefully it'll be a calmer week here. Anything you want to promote, Dan, I'll be back tonight eleven o'clock in the West, two am in the East with more marginal overnight sports talk radio.
Speaker 3: Now just again a shout out to the firefighters and first responders. Thank you all around the country, and if any of our Southern California listeners to this podcast are tuned in, stay safe, stay off the freeways unless.
Speaker 4: You really need to get on the freeway with a go bag.
Speaker 3: And the numbers have been really, really good, so we appreciate your listenership every single weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a point, Danny where I had to beg people to send questions into the mailbag. I have not had to do that in months. We have so many people listening. We got new names on the mail bag every week, which is great. I love hearing from new people. We got our regulars, which are our base, and then we have new people who every once in a while get off their ass and become contact creators like this week we heard from was it Manny? There were some new names on the mail bag, Kevin and Florida. I haven't. I don't think I've gotten a mail from Manny. So that was great. That was awesome. So we've got our regulars like Alf and Ferg Dog and the guys at Barry that have been with us for a long time. Anyway, I have a wonderful rest of your day, and George the football and the fifth hour we turn next weekend. I got you know, Danny's on Covino and Rich all week and I'll be on my own at night and we'll talk to you on the radio later.
Speaker 4: Skater gotta murder, I gotta go