Speaker 1: Hello. I'm Danielle Fischl, a TV director, a podcaster, a mom of two, and yet in my obituary it will start with the sentence better known as Topanga from the nineties sitcom Boy Meets World, and I am totally fine with that. That actually sounds nice. But maybe, just maybe, it will also include the title professional ballroom dancer, because right now I am part of season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars, giving it my all, pushing through the soreness, constantly learning and finding time to record this year show keeping you all abreast on my progress and emotions while I try to do the unthinkable and win the Len Goodman Mirror Ball Trophy without any prior dance experience. And one of the goals of this podcast is to learn more by talking to pros, former contestants, and even some of my competition. Because I'm not satisfied with just dedicating twenty three hours of my data dancing, I need to make it twenty four. And now, thanks to the podcast, I have the honor of sitting down with a fan favorite, and by fan, I mean my husband Boy. He loves him some Brandon and coincidentally, so do I. He joined the show as a member of the troop back in season twenty four, and was promoted to pro in season twenty seven, and ever since he has been handed what many in the dance industry professionally call luck, constant perfect scores but doesn't win at all. Check inflammation of the epiglottis check a shock elimination on that and the same night, your partner is lowered in a construction vehicle in front of pyrotechnics while dancing to their own multi platinum forever viral song.
Speaker 2: Check.
Speaker 1: Yes, he has seen it all, but it would be difficult to find a member of the Dancing with the Stars universe that fans so collectively rally behind. And that's not just because of his elite talent in the ballroom. It is also because of his new social media presence, especially on TikTok, where he has showcased one of the show's most reliable senses of humor over the past few months. So today on Danielle with the Stars, I am thrilled to welcome a man who helped put the word pissed back in the collective pop culture universe and has wowed viewers year after year. It's my husband's favorite dancer not named Pasha. It's Brandon Armstrong.
Speaker 2: What an intro?
Speaker 1: What a welcome.
Speaker 2: Honestly, being your husband's favorite is more important to me than winning the Maryor I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna be honest, Mike, I will never forget what. First of all, you're the first couple of weeks you and Lauren had. All my husband could talk about was how amazing Lauren was.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's good. There's three short weeks, so I'm glad that your husband don't have to talk about it for long.
Speaker 1: I was just like he was like wow, Lauren and Brandon, but just like wow, Lauren and Brandon. Just the moment, I was like, Okay, did you see what happen? Did you did you see my dance? Did you see?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: He is just your biggest fan. He thinks you. I mean you are, You're spectacular.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you. For some reason, I feel like I am like the king of the husbands of the girls that watch Dancing with the Stars. Do you get what I'm saying? The boyfriends and like when we're on tour, it's always the dudes that come out with like the cowboy gear on that night, but they're like, oh, be good. To see you. I'm like, hey, you know what, brother, see.
Speaker 1: Seems a good place to be.
Speaker 2: I'll take it. Somebody's got to do it exactly.
Speaker 1: Love to Absolutely, that's a good spot to hold.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come out the gate swinging a little bit with my first question because I need your opinion on one of the hot button issues from this season, and that seems to be favoritism. Okay, As a pro who has had some tough breaks, whether it's Genie's injury or Lauren's shocking elimination or some controversial weeks with Chandler, what's your take on the debate that's been happening over the past few weeks regarding favoritism.
Speaker 2: What a big one.
Speaker 1: I know, Sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Really I appreciate the question, and I think you're going to be able to share some insight with this as well as someone who's on the show. Now you've seen it from the inside and from the outside, you know. Yeah. I think the first thing that I would say is do I think that there is favoritism? Sure, Maybe favoritism in the sense that there's pros that people like more, that the fans relate to more, or celebrities that people relate to more. Do I also think that there's pros that are really good at what they do. Yes, So do you get what I'm trying to say? Sometimes it's like, does Lebron have favoritism in the NBA? Well, yeah, he's Lebron James. Do you understand what I'm saying it totally? Is it favoritism or is he creating an opportunity for himself? I think that there's that's a big conversation that I mean, we could spend a lot of time talking about. I think that at the end of the day, you could consider the show a game That's what it is. It's a game show, a reality strategy. It's a strategy. I think there's pros that are better at that strategy than others. Yeah, and so I don't know if I would call it favoritism or what I call it a pro taking advantage of the opportunity that they're given.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, And when you know better, you do better. So when you've been on the show for a certain length of time and you've seen it and you've strategized, and you've been on multiple sides, and you can see it come and go, Yeah, you want to win, and so you do what you have to do. The other thing I think, I'll say, coming from the side of being on the show this season and from the celeb side, right from the beginning in the conversations about doing the show, when it comes to music selection, when it comes to dance styles, when it comes to name any part of the show. Over the course of the whole season, you will sometimes get exactly Glee what you wanted, and other weeks you will not. And you got to make it work, and you have to make it work. But the idea behind it is kind of it all evens out in the wash.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you don't make it very far into the season, you could maybe not ever have gotten what you wanted, or have ever gotten your big your your break, or and then maybe it does seem like, well you really got handed a.
Speaker 2: Correct I agree, but I think no, but I agree with you, and I also think, look, the pros are doing their best job to highlight a celebrity that has no dance experience, honestly has no clue what they're talking about. When it comes to any of this. You may you may come in and say I love the song Bojangle by shmo jangle, I did right, yes, And we're like and I think it'd be a great tango and I'm like, congratulations, it's nowhere near a tango song.
Speaker 1: And we will not be doing that.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, or you will because the show's like, look, she really loves it. They're really passionate about it. Can you make it fit? And then it's our responsibility. We're in the we're trying to change the b PM and we're trying to figure this out, trying fiel blah blah blah blah. I just think that people, I think online they love this conversation of like, yeah, you know, I saw this performance. It didn't do anything for me. Maybe it was the song. I'm sorry, I'm not the one sitting here bringing you this song, this tango song done to the pop song. My partner loved it. It was a mom and come on, you know, like obviously if it was up to us, you would see I would think a lot of decisions being made differently in some of that aspect, because but that's not the point. It's not Brandon with the Stars, you know what I mean. Or it's not it's not celebrity dancing with Brandon I wish some network picked that show up. They would be fantastic.
Speaker 1: I'll get behind you.
Speaker 2: I'm about to make you the richest woman on the world. You know what I'm saying. Because if it's if it's celebrity Dancing with Brandon, unbelievable, and that's a different one all twelve and you'll see me in different You know, that's not the point of the show. The point of the show is for you to come on express yourself. I dance, learn how to dance, develop how to dance. Yeah, I'm not responsible for all that, so I think little grace there.
Speaker 1: Yes. Also, the country is very vast and diverse. We all have lots of different opinions. And sometimes I'll see people online being like, I think they should have done this song, and I'll think, Okay, there would probably be a handful of people who would.
Speaker 2: Have also loved that handful of people are on the show. We'll do that song. We'll do that song for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It's It is such an intricate game every week, from the costumes to the creative to the song, to things that have to fit the theme and the packages and the it's no, and you can't possibly know what it's like.
Speaker 2: No, I gotta comment. I love all you first of all on social media. I'm newly to the social media game, so I love you. I'm on my way. I love y'all. I got a comment, Brandon, your first two dances were the same. She was like, inframed the whole time. Well, sweetheart, I had a tango and a box drop. So maybe before you hit me up on that, look at it, because by definition, you've done a lot of inframe.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you're in frame.
Speaker 2: That's the point. And then if you don't do it, then I'm the one that has to stand in front of the judges and they get to say, hey, Brandon, if we didn't love your content here, she wasn't in frame enough. Oh I'm sorry. Susan in Connecticut told me, I gotta be out a frame more like, what do you want us to do? You're putting us between that is.
Speaker 1: That's a good point too, because we also got the similar comment from Carrie and that our dances look the same with the jive and our quick step.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling about that too, I'm very curious to know from your side of the table.
Speaker 1: I the second she said it, totally understood what she meant and appreciated it. And here's what I'll Here's what I'll say. The only dance we had, so we had a foxtrot we had and it was TikTok week So I foxtrot was Sabrina Carpenter man Child and then quickstep and jive similar. So those two dances themselves are kind of similar. Yes, But what's for sure been similar is this face has been cheesen since Week one when I had a tango that maybe would have been a little bit more serious. But my first Week one, I was on cloud nine, America was being introduced to me on this show. My anthem song was about having overcome breast cancer the year before. I was not Week one going to come out and be stone face chiller. In my tango, I danced a tango that was authentic to me and my story, which was important to me for people to see.
Speaker 2: Thousand percent?
Speaker 1: So is she right that for in four weeks she has not seen me do stare down the barrel, She hasn't seen me take a smile off my face. Absolutely, And I can see from a viewer or a judge perspective, for four weeks I'm not sure I felt a different side of you yet, so I totally understood you.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you this, I guess sometimes to me, it's like for the people at home. I think the people at home do reflect or start to mirror sometimes what they hear from the judges desk. I don't know if you've hear risked this a little bit, and so I do think that it's important that the celebrity or maybe the pro has an opportunity to maybe clarify some things like that, because sometimes I just know from from experience, yep, that sometimes you know, let's say, let's say a judge says, you know what, I really liked it, But I feel I got this lot with Chandler.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, we.
Speaker 2: Love you too. You guys are obviously a great dancer. She's a great dancer. She's doing blahlah blah blah. I feel like we're missing something. Okay, So then I feel like I'm missing something. You're like, Okay, what I'm missing is what that means?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: What? What what does that mean? Then we go home and then you read all these comments of people that really have no reason not to like Chandler, but now they have one reason, which is they're missing something.
Speaker 1: That's just something?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? You tell me what that means?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Can she tell me what? So now nobody knows what this means. And then all season this poor girl Chandler is and you know how hard working like a dog.
Speaker 1: I cannot even tell like a dog.
Speaker 2: To chase this thing? That is?
Speaker 3: What? What?
Speaker 2: What do we write? And it's just out here and it just exists, and.
Speaker 1: There are so many things it could be. Is it passion? Is it? Is it connection? Is it animation? What if even just one little clarifying thing could help you? Then go? Now I have a focus. Now we have something to legitimately work on. I know, and I did. I was really happy then that night that Pasha, because Pasha was very upset, of course, and he should be, rightfully. So it's his choreography and he it's his profession and he's incredible at it, and so I was very happy then that. Immediately we were the first press out the first press outlet we did, got to ask him directly, how did you feel about that? And he answered very honestly, and I loved it? And I loved it too. I loved it for him I loved that he got to say his piece, because that's the other side of it, is that they we get talked to and there really isn't the opportunity for us to say a response. It's like if someone if you you know, someone wrote something and a script and then you you put it out there and you got to note it and judge it. But they don't ever get to defend their right hand.
Speaker 2: They don't ever offend yourself.
Speaker 1: You can't ever.
Speaker 2: Another thing that happened last season not to be harpened on this last season. One of the judges I got in trouble for doing a lyft. I don't know if you've seen.
Speaker 4: This whole I have, and there what was it like? This this much far? First of all, I lifted her off the ground. Okay a thousand percent. I lifted her off the ground. I have no beef with that. Okay the point, no issue with that, right. My issue was when she was like, oh, I warned you about this last week. I warned you about this last week. Okay, that hadn't happened. She had warned another individual another couple about it.
Speaker 2: So I all I said was me because because I knew it wasn't you. I hadn't been warned about that. I got slaughtered online for being cocky, or Brandon's too cocky, or he's too confident with Chandler he can't take criticism, or this what I'm like, y'all. First of all, I I mean, you've known me long. I'm like the least like like, I'm just here for the good time, trying to talk a little crap, enjoyed the show whatever. Yeah, all I was saying was I was not the one that had been warned about this. I'm also not saying that I didn't lift I lifted her off the floor. I don't even care about the point whatever. Right for me, it's the principle.
Speaker 3: I just don't do you.
Speaker 2: Get what I'm trying to say, But I can't respond. If we respond in any type of way, posh or whatever, then it turns into this thing. I'm like, Guys, your.
Speaker 1: Response of me also probably wasn't premeditated, like I'm now, no, you didn't go like I'm going to respond to point out to her that that's wrong. It's like a wait did you? You also were like wait.
Speaker 2: When I don't remember that? And if I missed it, sorry, I didn't miss.
Speaker 1: It, right, you were right, it wasn't you. But that was so that even from that standpoint, it's like we're also stifling some of the natural reaction to things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough, tricky situation.
Speaker 1: The tricky situation after the dance to.
Speaker 2: Like that, that whole time of space is a weird.
Speaker 1: You're thirsty, you can bare we breathe.
Speaker 2: You're either ecstatic or you just.
Speaker 1: You just want to all. Oh my gosh, Yes, I know.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: There's way more fans now than it feels like ever before. New fans, young fans, passionate fans, passion dedicated fans. Sometimes people could say a bit of toxicity. Do you think overall this is not toxicity is a good thing, but that overall the new fan base, that in general, the swarm of people that have come to it is overall a good thing, and that that ends justify the means.
Speaker 2: A thousand percent. What's the saying, you can't don't cry when it floods when you prayed for rain?
Speaker 1: Wow, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm a huge component. I'm a huge advocate of somebody who I My livelihood is attached to the show. My lifestyle is attached to the show. My artistry is attached to the show. I am a kid from middle of nowhere, Utah, right middle of nowhere, Utah. And I'm going to be a thousand percent transparent, not even somebody who There's a million people who can dance like me. There's a million people. Everybody can dance now, everybody's talented, everybody's trained. There's a million dancers out there that would love to be in this situation. For me to sit here and be like, it's so toxic and they're killing right, that is the most just disingenuous, Like it's just not me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the support. I love the opportunity to be able to perform and dance and create in front of all these people that get to watch it. Does that then come with people who don't like it? Absolutely? I can't cry for the flood. When I prayed for it and I prayed for an opportunity like.
Speaker 1: This, it's such a such a great attitude.
Speaker 2: I mean I prayed for I remember this. I remember I was twenty probably two, I had sixty six dollars to my name, was sleeping on a mattress on the floor in Las Vegas, dancing on the strip, dancing for not on the strip like a like, but like dancing in a show on the side. That sounded.
Speaker 1: Not a mattress in dancing on this.
Speaker 2: That seems like it was going down a different route.
Speaker 1: Thank you for clarifying very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that in a show professional show, nothing showing nothing.
Speaker 1: We just left Vegas out of this. We probably wouldn't have had all these.
Speaker 2: But also let the people think what they want to think. Maybe I was shaking.
Speaker 1: Somewhere, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I will be shaking it to make it holler. They'll play with me. So I was broke, figured it out, you know, that's what the stars called me. I never in a million years would have dreamed that. You'll fast forward seven or eight seasons later whatever. Now I'm here having this opportunity, sitting here doing this podcast. So I'm not going to complain about that. Do I think that there's some toxic nature that comes with it. Absolutely. I feel like we live in a country where you're allowed to have that opinion. Absolutely, so go ahead throw it out there. I mean, I would try to ask at least be some level of respect. Sometimes it's a little crazy to me when people are that's like me calling Einstein and being like, man, your math is wrong, Like you know what I meant? Sometimes sometimes like what I see, it's like, here's my opinion on these dances and based off of my experience, and they're like I took dance in third grade, right, Like sweetheart, that's like saying you know what I mean, Like gess me going up to Serena Williams and being like I played ping, Yeah, like relax a little bit, but I mean, you can say what you want.
Speaker 1: To say what.
Speaker 3: You want to say.
Speaker 1: One of the show's very positive elements that has come out this season especially is your online presence, specifically your tiktoks. When you were learning under Shirley Ballast, she didn't have any social media courses. So is this a new skill? How are you learning this new skill set? And you and why are you such a natural?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you I'm still the horse and buggy compared to the Ferrari of social media. Well, this is really what happens. So we hired these young bucks, young pros, the Ezra's, the Rileys. We got like these young people in and they came in and you would have thought like it was like we were learning how to make fire. Like we're on tour. I sincerely like we're like watching like you bang rock, like like this is the craziest thing. Yeah, And they're posting every day. We're seeing all this success. We're also seeing them being able to connect to an audience in just a way different way than we were able to. Like it used to be like you had to create the most tech you dance blah blah blah blah blah. Now it's like it's not that, it's not all that, it's it's that and everything else. And so for me, it's like lucky, I got married to a unbelievable girl who's also very talented with that. Oh I could talk about her for a millionaires, but she's so good at it, and so that helped me a lot. She also like gave me a little bit. We were just talking about you before we started rolling. I get nervous sometimes because I don't have the best filter, and it's gotten me in trouble in the past because I really genuinely am somebody who will just say what I think. And I mean, if you have a problem with that, we can discuss the problem. Like it's just it is what it is. Now I realize it's probably not the best way to go about life, and on social media it's definitely, yeah, not the best way. So I'm learning. But look, I like to talk a little crap, and I like to be funny, and I like to just say things how I like to say things. And I think it's been lucky that it's gotten on social media and people have enjoyed it. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, wait, I'm still waiting for a tall crash down right now.
Speaker 1: But your authenticity is what people are connecting with the fact you are so authentic, there is you. The good thing about not having a filter is that there's also not a filter. It's just you are there. You are who you are, warts and all. It is what it is, and people love that.
Speaker 2: I would hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, people resonate.
Speaker 2: So I would be really but heard. If they really hated me, I'd be like, Wow, that means I'm actually who I am and people actually hate me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, people don't like me. That would suck, you know, So at least a few people can crack a few jokes and make a few laughs.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: When you look at the roster of celebrities that you have had over the past eight seasons. It's really musical and you have partnered with a lot of contestants who might even be called ringers, Tanase, Jordan Sparks, Lely Pond's, Chandler Kenney, and Lauren Hereggi. But outside of Chandler, you have eluded the finals.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of prior dance experience debates also this season. What is your take on the prior dance experience of it all? And does musical experience translate to dancing as much as people think it does?
Speaker 2: No, so that I can answer as why on Rice, No, you could be the greatest singer songwriter the world has ever seen and not be able to dance a lick.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, that's my opinion. Yeah, people just think music, oh, musicality, You're going to be great at that.
Speaker 2: So Adele is a professional dancer, right like you know what I'm saying that she can park and bark with the best of them all time. I don't know if she's going to come out here and hit a slick little chit and if she is tiger in it sweetheart come to Dance with the Stars. I need another one may take a dell for me to win the dang show, So come on through, you know, so that answer for me, No way. I don't think that that translates as far as past dance experience. This one's so tricky for me because I've had a few partners that I've had it. I think nowa day and age, I think it matters less than people would hope. I almost think it hurts you more. Case in point Alan and Alona Chandler and Brandon last year, right, I mean to me, that's case and point. Alona one of my favorite humans on the planet. I like everything that she stands for. I think she you want to talk about somebody who's authentic, talented, zero dance experience, not as good of a dancer as Chandler, of course, I mean, of course, that's like saying Chandler's as good of a rugby player as she is. That's I mean, come on, that's just call us bade is made here, right, they beat us. Alan and Elona beat Chandler and I So obviously, I think that's a case of point where it doesn't really matter as much as people want or want to think it does. I think it helps me. I think I'm able to create a lot of cool things totally. But I think if people don't relate to it, they don't relate to it. So I don't know. I mean, I think this season, this season, we have competitors that have a lot of dance experience. We have one that just went home that had an extensive dance background. Huh she went home week three home four four four. Yeah, you're here. You don't have any No, So, who cares? Right? That's kind of my thing.
Speaker 1: Is I just exactly whether or not it makes you a better dancer cannot be argued. Of course, dance experience makes you a better dancer. Does it help you win the show?
Speaker 2: No? So, And that's genuinely in my opinion. No, I think you could look through all this past. You could look through since I've been on the show, how many of the best dancers have won the show? Very few times? Maybe I'll make the argument that Charlie Dmilion did. Yeah, okay, but hold on, she also has two hundred million followers on these platforms. She's also a sweetheart, also relatable.
Speaker 1: All those kind of the whole package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm like, hold on, and I don't think they were winning it from day one. I think Mark worked really hard to develop something that was really good. I don't know, that's my opinion. I think that there's a lot of other things. I think this area is probably where I could have done better. Like if you gave me somebody like Tanashe now, I would do way better with her now than I did then, being completely authentic and just transparent. I didn't know how to play the game as well as I probably should have. Yeah, but that being said, I hate the game because why can't a girl be young, confident, beautiful, a good dancer and go on Dancing with the Stars and show herself off and do well. Yeah, you know, Like I don't know. I think the show would be really boring if you had a bunch of people that sucked. Not fair to say, but I see that a lot online. Like it's like, well, the point of the show is for people to develop and not to have any dance.
Speaker 1: Experience, is it? It is that if you.
Speaker 2: Just got on and saw people that sucked, Yep, would you like to watch that?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not? No, I would not have watched.
Speaker 2: You have to have a mixture.
Speaker 1: Totally my opinion, totally and like you said, it is a competition, Well you didn't say this part it's a competition show it is. You can bring all kinds of things to a competition. Great personality, large fan base, incredible dancing, authenticity, good connection. We're all bringing underdog story the exactly you come. Every person is coming with their own suitcase of weapons to use in the competition, and not all the weapons are going to be the same, and that doesn't mean you have a better or worse chance, just depend on how you use it.
Speaker 2: I think that's where my favoritism conversation comes back to, is just because one pro is better at utilizing those weapons doesn't necessarily do you understand what I'm trying to say, Like, just because he's able to unpack the suitcase, he or she is able to unpack the suitcase a little bit faster than maybe some of these other pros, and maybe that's a skill thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also looking at something that doesn't seem like the greatest weapon, but you know it is after having tons of and being like, yeah, I'll take the nail file and everyone's like I don't want the nail file, but you know how great the nail file comes in handy by week seven and then you.
Speaker 2: Get beat by and people are like, oh.
Speaker 1: Oh that, but he knew the nail file.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes he did, Yes he did. And that's the point of him. Wouldn't try to be what's a pearl that knows that? Of course?
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. As someone who has had a lot of incredible partners, I am going to be very sad thinking again or talking about the fact that we were robbed of of you and Lauren. I wanted to see that full journey so bad? What was your partnership with her?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Because she is like, in my opinion, she is the epitome of like the one of the coolest people I've ever met.
Speaker 2: I agree with you one thousand percent. I don't want to get on my high horse here or whatever, but if we could be serious for two seconds, Yeah, I want to have a daughter someday, right, I want to have a son. I want to have a daughter someday. I would want my daughter to be beautiful, talented, to stand up for things that she thinks are right, to stand up for things that she thinks are wrong, yep, right, be outspoken on it, educated, pretty all those things. It is crazy to me that Lauren does those things and then gets dumped on by other women. That blows my mind, right, it blows my mind. What happened to this whole feminist twenty twenty five? Women don't have to they're not second class. Blah blah blahlah. All that sounds so good out of your mouth until it comes time to support a woman. Yeah, actually is that? Yeah, So that's on my little high horse defending Lauren. That's my little high horse of that. I think she is unbelievably talented, beautiful, stands up for the right things. Yeah, cools crap and unbelievable. Yep. So this whole like mean girl or doesn't want to be there, not everybody has to come out there and turn on that corny little light. Yeah, that's just not her style totally. And if that's what you associate being interested or uninterested or rude or this or whatever, that's not her fault. No, that's a thing that's not.
Speaker 1: A her thing exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean y'all at the house. That's a y'all thing, not a herd thing.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: She was to me the sweetest girl on the planet. So I think our relationship was like that. We had mad converse stations that were cool and beneficial to me outside of dancing, that helped me grow and learn and understand as an adult and as a person, you know, as a grown And then she worked her butt off. She was in there for every minute of the day, running it and videoing it and watching it. And I just have not enough good things could to say to justify I think she was the best, And I think that we did get robbed, not robbed of I'm not going to sit here and say that Laurena and I were going to be the best dancing couple in the entire competition, but you did get robbed of a journey she could have developed so much, so much. I think we did get robbed of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, we were all robbed of Lauren's journey, and it pains me. Is there anything you can share about something we you were really looking forward Is there a week you know, knowing the weeks, knowing some of the thoughts you had about choreography or song choices? Sure, what was something you were really looking forward to doing that we didn't get to see?
Speaker 3: Such?
Speaker 2: She was excited for both of us in our next two weeks. I was really excited for it. One particular was for dead ocation. Dedication tends to be pretty heavy as a whole, and I think some of the ones that stick out the best. Like I'll tell you one that stuck out the most for me this last dedication week out of everything, was a lane. And I know it was received weird and there's like some more little discord, yeah whatever, But for me, I'm like, well, hold on, it was positive, totally tons of dancing with the other person, like you know what I'm saying that, it was like a true like trio dance. Like I really appreciated that. I thought Alan did great.
Speaker 1: I think Alan did such a great job.
Speaker 2: I thought it was gangster.
Speaker 1: I really did like that too.
Speaker 2: I think Laurence would have been along that similar line. We were going to dedicate it. We're going to basically do like a daddy daughter salsa, so the immigrant family, the whole situation whatever. So we were going to dance to you know, the song Kim, but we were gonna do a salsa to that, like she was going to be at a salsa club and she was actually gonna sing the beginning of it like a cappella to her daddy, you know. And then make it up. Then I was gonna take her. Then she was gonna do it with a dad, and then we were gonna do it together. We're going to spin it out to the mom like we were gonna do this whole thing about that. I stik like in a time and place right now where even that conversation is to talk about immigrants, yea, and different families and different upbringings, it would have been dope. So that that sucks. Plus I love salsa.
Speaker 1: Everyone's all the proud.
Speaker 2: Lifted her and I would have not gotten trouble before.
Speaker 1: You lifts lifts, lifts.
Speaker 2: You can't look like me, Like you know I eat a cheeseburger every once in a while, Like you know that I didn't even get a chance to lift anybody this week, you know what I mean? Like, who am I Pasha? I ate a breakfast burrito bigger than Pasha this morning.
Speaker 3: Danielle.
Speaker 2: Let's let's be honest. Though, I tell the folks at the house, I'm not a little dude.
Speaker 1: You're not You're not a little dude, which is one of my favorite things about you. You are to live manly. If I didn't get to lift nobody, you didn't get to lift anybody.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I also talk about this a lot that, like, I don't know how Danny and Pasha eat so much food, and Danny goes, yeah, but you eat a lot of food too, and I go, but nobody second guesses that, like they go, yeah, yeah, we believe it.
Speaker 5: Danielle eats, Danielle eats a lot of food. Yeah, but not them. You're like a kid too. She's out here with her and I don't I know, I know. I made a joke the other day. I was like, I look like I never skipped the gym, but I also never skip a cookie. And the only problem is everybody's like yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, I mean don't. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna drop the show up here.
Speaker 1: You go feel exactly the same way. I don't think people look at me and think I look out of shape, but they definitely they're No one's thinking, I'm like I'm in shape. But I also I will eat a cookie. I will never say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But here's the thing I've learned this about La too. People be like, I eat cookies and then it's like zero sugar, no diet. This that I'm my girl.
Speaker 1: Noland does cookies come on, I.
Speaker 2: Smack a cookie, yeah, thank you them, and maybe a little ice cream on the side. Now I'll go for a run and lift a few weights. Sure, so don't try me, but I bring me a cookie too.
Speaker 1: Could not agree with you more. Wait, that I think is the secret to healthy, healthy and non disordered eating, because I've definitely struggled with disordered eating in my past, and now I'm like, listen, I food truly brings me joy and happiness, and I don't want to I don't want to remove it. I don't want to worry about it. I don't want to stress about it. So I'm just also going to stay active and be as because that's also brings me a lot of sarah toonin and joy, and then I get to have both of them, and now my life is filled with joy.
Speaker 2: And then everything were just always. I did start a new diet, though I have to talk ares like carnivore diet, which there's like a lot of these diets. I did a seafood diet.
Speaker 1: If I see food, you eat it, Okay, Wow, dad jokes. I'm not you're not even a dad yet, but we got the dad jokes. Pasha's really I was thinking Pasha was the king of dad jokes, but he just pulled out. Have you been in touch with Lawrence since the Elevationion for sure talked, Okay, I want to talk about Bridley because I know you love her. I love her too. She is the cutest and during my research I found out that you two met because you slid into her DMS.
Speaker 2: Is this true? My modern day?
Speaker 1: Will Meal was your first message to her?
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? And to this day, bust my butt over it because yeah, y'all get so. Look again, I don't want to do this whole thing. But I had a blue check mark on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Oh this was before you could just buy them. I know, Oh I get it.
Speaker 2: I know. I would have just bought the thing and kept them moving. You know, man, if I was single today's day, I'd buy a blue check mark and I'd just beat.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, hey, what's up? When my two K followers and I'd be bougie boogie you're trying to slide through McDonald's because I'm boo broke as a joke, but come on through. I got the blue check mark fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money, I know.
Speaker 2: So I slid it in. I said, hey, what's up. She opens it up, leaves me on red. She will I'm looking right at you, Bridley. When you're reading this, click you'll say it was Oh, it was only for a few hours. It was for like two three days.
Speaker 1: She responsored me.
Speaker 2: She called her mother and was like, Yo, this kid. He says he's from Utah, says he's gonn dance with the stars. Her mom threw me the best alley op in the world. He's so cute. You should go out with him. He is on the show. So that's when I got the response back. Was when I got the co signed from the mother in law, got the co signed, took her the cheesecake factory. A lot of discords from that. Also, if that's a bad first date as well, I just wanted to be able to chit chat. Then I parked my car, chased the deer. I had to show I was athletic. I'm sorry, chased the deer. There was a deer on the side of the street. Parked my car, which at the time I had just bought a new little car. I had a little whip, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this was you were stunting a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of this got out the car, and I had to show her that I was an athlete. So I tried to chase this deer because it was giving us some eyes again Jim and cookies.
Speaker 1: You know, I had to show that I could still run, wow.
Speaker 2: Play some sports. So chase the deer down. Didn't catch the deer, but did catch phil were deer suplex. This thing just that I was the alpha dog in this whole area. Okay, never cut the deer, never even got close to catching the deer. She probably thought I was an absolute idiot. But at least the bar was set low. Then I could only go up from there, right, you know, you were like, But that always told me if I kept people laughing at their eye, people laugh with their eyeshut. So I look better when I make people laugh. So I've just been slinging jokes ever since. Then I'd be slinging See look at this right now. I could be Michael Michael B. Jordan's. I could be Michael B. Jordan's sticking across from you. You don't know. Then you open the eyes. It's Brandon, you know, so different stories. So yeah, I just sat in the DMS a few years later. Here.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to get Briley's perspective on the chase of the deer moment.
Speaker 2: We'll see how accurate all that was coming out of my mouth. Who knows, but I'm sticking to that story. So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, while the season is going on, I have to say, I am finding it impossible to believe that anyone gets to even see their left ones.
Speaker 2: I have, Well, now I have nothing, but.
Speaker 1: You work from home.
Speaker 2: Now, work from home, working from home, that home is seen a lot of work at home, seeing plenty of work.
Speaker 1: Well, we still see. You get to come out and dance. You get to choreograph some dances. You hosted the TikTok Live last week? Did you enjoy that?
Speaker 2: I did? And not only that, we had a lot of people watch. They got a lot of new followers. I like that stuff. I like unscripted again, being able to talk no filter. Yeah, gotta have a filter. With ABC and Disney, part's a little harder. It is a little harder, a little harder.
Speaker 1: Well, you were wonderful at it. You interviewed Wilfredell I did from Boy Meets World World. Yes, Uh, that was very fun. So while you and Briley are living out here in LA, what have become some of your go to favorite LA things to do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: We eat for her. You would never tell her I find it.
Speaker 2: Where the food. I swear on my life. That girl is a street. This mic thing is thicker than my life. She is this, she's this big. But that girl really does eat. Okay, really does eat. And she's from Utah, like born and race from Utah, So she loves sugar. But I just God blessed. I guess, I don't know. But we love to eat. I mean honestly, we like to do the social media stuff like we love it, Like we like to make videos and interact with people. We love this. She's like not in it at all to be like any type of thing besides it. She just enjoys doing and saw that I wasn't doing it, so she's like, let me make him do it, and let me help him do it, and then I may as well do it on myself, you know. So I don't know. She's the best.
Speaker 1: You guys picking a trick every week? I look forward to it every single week.
Speaker 2: Why except sometimes depending on the trick, sometimes I'm like last week was the first week that we didn't do it successfully, and it's because she had to lift me. And you want to talk about eating. I've been gone a week now. I snapped that little girl in.
Speaker 1: She was like, ah.
Speaker 2: She woke up the next day. B I said, girl, this right here way more than your entire existence. So relax a little bit. Yeah, pick some other tricks. So we go out to eat a lot, hang out with a lot of our friends, go to movies. Great, we're pretty We're a pretty basic couple.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna be here in La until you leave for tour for tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're actually going to Tokyo in between the season and tour. Have you been right?
Speaker 1: I've never been in the greatest place on time. I'm dying to go. So you're going in December?
Speaker 2: We go, November, we go, Thanks.
Speaker 1: We leave the gosh you leave right after this.
Speaker 2: Literally you could not I'm going to puff into dust and.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't believe I can't on the place.
Speaker 2: Our second time, we just went the summer too, but we loved it so much we had to go back. So we're going for eleven days and then we'll come back a little apartment, jump into rehearsal, pack up the apartment, drive back to Utah, unpack all of our stuff in a storage unit, and then just tumble weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you guys are so she's gonna be on tour the whole time.
Speaker 2: You know that's in conversation now. She's never has been, She's never come on tour the whole time. I wanted to come on tour and do like the tour social media, help some of the other pros with our social media. That's what I would love.
Speaker 1: I would love that needs your job, She needs a job on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she also likes to be able to float around and do her own thing. So we'll see what that ends up with. But it's for the past. Ever since we've dated, I've left and been on tour for three or four months and she's just stayed wherever. We see each other maybe once or twice while I'm on tour. It's been brutal to talk about long distance. I'm like, I get it. I get the long distance. So it's long, but hopefully she can just come out with us, chill out. Yes, I don't know. We got to get a house, Yeah, we got to do something. We got to grow some roots somewhere.
Speaker 1: You guys have one years old, you guys have a very exciting next year. I just I feel like twenty twenty six is going to be a very exciting please prosperous, healthy, joyful, root planting, family building. I just I really feel it.
Speaker 2: All the above.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how old are you when you hit your first thirty eight? So don't even get me started.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that is late early for yous?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that? Because she's twenty seven and she's having a heart attack and I'm like, maybe I think we're okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you No, Here's the thing. I feel like it was late, especially now that I'm forty four and I have a six year old and four year old boy who both of them are I mean, they wake up at six thirty in the morning and they're like, oh, I Am like, oh my gosh, we're already this energetic and it's all day and they're into you know, karate and into baseball and they like wrestling, and I'm an active boy mom, And I'm like, mommy is so old. But the truth is, I would whoever I would have had children with before I met my husband. I would it wouldn't it happened of course the way it's supposed to. But I think early thirties it's a good age, the perfect time.
Speaker 2: So she has what two three years and then we can start.
Speaker 1: Two three years, then start then start thinking, planning, doing the things you want to do. But I think it's the I think it's the perfect time. You've got the financial stability, you've already got the house, you figured out who the village is. You know, where are you going to live? Who's the village going to be? Because you don't want to be in a place.
Speaker 2: No, it's not easy.
Speaker 1: It's not easy.
Speaker 2: I mean in Utah by time you're nineteen, oh yeah, if you don't have seventeen kids and seventeen credit cards, I know you who are you? I mean?
Speaker 1: You know I have not talked about this on this show yet, but you know, my best friend growing up was Mormon. Her family, her dad was actually the bishop wow, And so they would let me. You know, Sundays were family days, so not days you get to hang out with friends. But I could hang out with them if I went to church with them, if you went to church. So I used to go to church, spend the whole day. I know I've been I've been around. I've been around.
Speaker 2: So you've seen the rabbit cages. There's a lot of babies, lots of them.
Speaker 1: And like you said, by nineteen years old, yeah, three four kids by mid twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in their head they're so grown. And now that I'm grown and kind of remove myself from from that lifestyle like that, that just even just being outside of phys physical space, Like looking back at it, I'm like, oh, my goodness, and no power, no knock to it. Like if that's what your goal and your intention of life is more, it's beautiful. I see all these beautiful families, like it's incredible. I can't think at thirty one having like ten kids right now, I'd be like, what now doing? I know they did it.
Speaker 1: Finally, I am asking everyone who comes on this Yere podcast if you could please give me one piece of advice for for the rest of my time on this show, so that I improve and then I have the best chances that I could have. What would your piece of advice for me be?
Speaker 2: Mine would be two part number one, just to give a shout out to my boy, you have Pasha the Goat, I know, one of the most intellectual, thought out planned professionals that I know. And to me, if you wanted to define the word professional, you look it up in the dictionary, you'll be Pasha on time, honest crap. Always just execute it, very high, consistent, correct, not like this, you know, always like this. So listen to him. Number one first and foremost. Number two, I would say, and I've talked about this lot with Chandler in my head, my mind, you're going to go very far, probably all the way, it would be my opinion. Okay, you're what the show is not a no no dance experience. You come in, you learn, you're good. You know, it's not like one of these people that you're like, they have no dance experience, but then they suck. You're kind of like, who cares? You know you you don't have any dance experience, but you're good.
Speaker 1: Wow, let's let's settle down on the Oh, you're good, you're getting better.
Speaker 2: Getting better, but also good. Like these routines that you're getting are full of content, they're hard. You're good. I would just remind you to make sure that you enjoy it because you're gonna wake up one day and it's going to be over, and you're going to be like, well, holy crap, I just did this for thirteen weeks. And then you're like I was so focused on the I know it's hard to enjoy it, so like, really really really really enjoyed it because I finished my freestyle last year and I was like, there's no way it's over. And now I'm back on the season. I already got eliminated.
Speaker 1: It's over again.
Speaker 2: I tell you what. When it rains, it rains, and when it pours, it pours, you know, like, so just enjoy it because it's it's so cool, and people love you online. Your reception has been so positive.
Speaker 1: I know you're the best. We love you. I love you, we love you, Brandon loves you. We all love you.
Speaker 2: I do love you. I wish you. I want to love me more. And I'm looking at you, Tiffany whoever, I don't even know what you know. I'm gonna throw out some names. Lisa and if that's your name and you didn't vote, and you didn't vote.
Speaker 1: Could have saved I wish didn't. They used to give more like statistical things, like being that they were at the bottom of the leaderboard. They needed four million, like they did. I feel like, where did that go?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They also used to have judges saved with the judges at the very last. They saved me and Kenya a few times, so I'm always a fan of judges. I was out there on food stamps begging for these judges. SAMs I said, Barren, please just bring me off my pocket Rando. The next week their I was gone. I was begging for it. Ain't no shame of my name began.
Speaker 1: You are one of my favorite people to talk to here at the rehearsal space on our tape days. By the way, you're live with Mark and Joan. Please do please do more reverse.
Speaker 2: Just while we're on the topic, who was out there saying that Yan or Mark both those at the White Boys ain't got a BBL to save their life. You could combine both cheeks and it's my left one, So relax.
Speaker 1: That was crazy. Does Mark not know what a BBL?
Speaker 2: I agree? Yan, listen, maybe English is the second language first language.
Speaker 3: Yan.
Speaker 2: You know you're my boy. I'm gonna let you off.
Speaker 3: Mark.
Speaker 2: Mark, you know what a BBL? Come on, you know what it meant. And you've been on the show with a lot of these women that be bouncing a BBL. So don't be sitting there. I didn't like you don't know what it is. And just for the record, I ain't got no BBL. That's homegrown cookies and cream. That's that's all it is. I just want the record to show that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You know what, no one's ever accused me of having a BBL.
Speaker 2: I have a to get one together.
Speaker 1: I would love you.
Speaker 2: We could go around Mexico, though, you gotta go on a budget for me.
Speaker 1: I'm in as long as it's as real as your tattoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well the fake ba you know what they make. They make like spanks with pockets for Yeah, so let's just let's just give ourselves.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. And Ben, i'd be working. I need a like, I need like some I wanted to look like a Diesel trucks walking through the door, but then I want to turn to the side and disappear.
Speaker 1: Do you also want to look cold?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would prefer a little nip in the air. Yeah, yeah, I would take a little nip in the air is better than the flying saucer. So I'll take a little nip in the air. I think we could design this, but not like caughting a diamond now, just a little cold Ye, that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: I think we could design this and pitch this to skims.
Speaker 2: Anybody wants to skims, you know what.
Speaker 1: For men, but for me, they for our men.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about sexist. Yeah, because what y'all are being sexist?
Speaker 1: You know what? I'm not gonna argue with you. Absolutely no. We have the the amount of contraptions we have to suck things in, pull things up, smooth things out, harden some nips and you guys.
Speaker 2: And I'm expected to do that organically correct. But I can't enjoy my cookies and cream ice cream. I have to. I got to turn the A C down my electricity bill to get my nips. It was sixty six degrees in my apartment. No, that's not fair. And y'all are sexist.
Speaker 1: Yep, listen, let's design it. We've a couple, Okay. I'm going to produce your show Dancing Dancing with Celebrities.
Speaker 2: With the we will be caught Diamond's girl both ways, money and diamonds. There. I am with it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here. I love you so much. I just so, I just appreciate you, and I'm so happy that you came and spent your time with me.
Speaker 2: So gore to go make it all the way to the m for us. Ah. Yes, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Danielle with the Stars Produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, Producer, editor and engineer Tara Sudbasch. Theme song by Justin Siegel. Follow us on Instagram at Danielle with Stars and vote for me