Speaker 1: Okay, y'all, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: It's it's our fearless leader, it's our queen, it's our sister, it's our.
Speaker 2: There's very few people that I would wake up this early for to be.
Speaker 1: I can hear it in your voice.
Speaker 2: You sound I'm fighting from I'm fighting for my life right now. But we have so many amazing guests this season, but you know the one we got to start with our girl.
Speaker 3: Our baby, our sweetheart, our love of our life, the iconic, the amazing.
Speaker 4: What's now That's the appropriate level of excitement and screaming that I was looking for when I told you when I signed.
Speaker 2: On, were saving you. We were saving our excitement.
Speaker 3: When I tell you, guys, we had thirty seconds before we gave her the intro, and she was upset because we weren't squealing and happy enough to see her.
Speaker 2: We were told that we were not excited enough to see her and that we were icing her out. So we're off to amazing.
Speaker 4: You two are always icing me out.
Speaker 2: She's always said that since since since.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh, we're mother and son and we have a special little thing going on, and you're just the third wheel and it just like to make funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're you're not the third wheel, but we do like that, I will say.
Speaker 3: I will say we do every time we're hanging out. Not every time, but a lot of times when we're hanging out having fun, we will just send her videos.
Speaker 4: Be like what's that?
Speaker 2: Why did not hear?
Speaker 1: And she's like, fuck you guys leaving me out all the time. How's it going.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: I have a week of press here for the Lost Bus. It's rainy. It's great.
Speaker 1: It's rainy here.
Speaker 2: It is raining here. We're obviously here to talk about ugly Betty.
Speaker 3: Hello, We're gonna get into it. Like do you even remember?
Speaker 1: I mean, it was so long ago.
Speaker 4: I mean it was so long ago, and I feel like, wow, I can't believe I'm old enough to like forget entire like episodes of my life. I'm like, how did I not? How do I not remember doing that insane thing? Like there's a lot I don't remember. I mean I remember the broad Strokes obviously, But have you guys gone back and rewatched So America?
Speaker 1: Guess what?
Speaker 3: Mark has never watched the show, so we're doing the rewatch and he's watching it for the first time, so it's super cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah you never watched the show, well.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny. I've seen the pilot and I saw and I saw the series finale when they aired. But now watching it back, I feel like every episode of the week, come in here and recap. I'm like, this is a good show. Guys, like I really like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think sixteen million people felt the same way at the time. But yeah, it wasn't enough for you to watch it.
Speaker 2: Mark, it was not enough. But now, in hindsight, it's it's it's fun to watch it now because I'm like, I just don't remember, Like I just don't recall. Like, looking at that kid, I'm like, who is that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: That's like a child.
Speaker 4: That must be so crazy. I mean, you were a literal baby, a literally I mean look I look at it, and I'm like, I was a child. I don't feel like the same person at all. Yeah, and I can't imagine for you you were actually a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess that's that's a question that I wanted to ask you to because both of us kind of did it when we were so young. You were like twenty one when we started.
Speaker 4: Right, I was, I was so young because.
Speaker 2: You know, but like because you were the closest person weirdly enough in age to me.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So I mean twenty one and eleven are very very disparate ages. But like, yeah, I guess I did want to ask you, but you already answered it, Like how much you still feel like that that person? Or or not?
Speaker 4: I mean it, I mean, come, I've changed. I mean I feel like I've turned into three different people since then, you know, since twenty one, luckily, but but you know, it's the things like whenever I see you guys, or like I ran into Uri last week and I saw Chris gorm the week before, or you know, it's like I feel right back in that place that we were in. I'm like, I still feel all the love and enjoy and excitement, and I feel like we could go back on set tomorrow and it would feel exactly the same, Like it feels like that close in terms of like in person I was. I mean, I will say, like it's hard to watch yourself when you're in something, and I feel like I could not watch myself on the show with any any objectivity whatsoever, Like I could not tell if this was horrible, if it was great, if I was a disaster, and I and I have I think when it first came out on Netflix, I like think I did like a little like beginning a pandemic. I was like, I'm going to do a Betty really like I managed to get through like two episodes, and then I was like, this is a lot for me, So I'm maybe not going to do that, but but I do like watch it and go, like you Mark, I'm like that was so good. Yeah, So like I can watch myself almost like she's a different person. I can to love her and be like she's so cute and she's so good, and like, I love Betty. So it is fun to have that distance and feel like you can watch it with like some notion of objectivit and maybe experience what the audience might have experienced. At the time.
Speaker 2: I feel like I was only able to do that like now now, you know, like that was like the perfect time. I feel like, yeah, as a teenager or like you know, in college and stuff, it just still felt weirdly close, whereas now it's just like I feel like I've lived a bunch of different lives, but.
Speaker 3: So we've been we've been asking, you know, people or like we've I mean, I told my sort of story of how I first came upon I mean, I you know, every actress who was Latin in La. I'm not sure about New York, but we all auditioned for Betty and then they would I guess they brought people back for whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But like, did you did you have to did you get the scrip?
Speaker 3: Were you like, oh, I want to do this? Did they just offer to you? Like what was your sort of intro to Betty.
Speaker 4: It's such a funny intro. My first like intro of even knowing that it was a thing that was happening. Was I ran into Selma hyaek. I didn't even know Selma Hyak. I ran into Selma at the shattaham Arma whatever. I was on a day day or whatever, and I was on a date. And I know this is before Ryan. It was like two thousand and four. Oh my gosh, I only met Ryan in two thousand and five, or maybe it was like early two thousand and five. Anyway, so it was maybe like a year before the pilot was even like actively getting made and I and I was there on a date at the chateau, and all of a sudden, like someone like comes running up to me and it's Selma Hyak and she's like, you are my ugly Betsy. Sorry for that accent. And she was like and I was like, what is she even talking about? Like we're doing this show and it's this going Tobium series and you are my Betty. I know you're my bet And I was like, I have no idea what he is talking about, like none, And I remember calling my agent or email my agent after and being like I just had the weirdest interaction, what is she talking about? And they're like, yes, there's this show, it's an adaptation. They're interested in you. Selma's obviously very excited. And then and then I didn't hear about it for like ten months, like that was it. I was like, Okay, that's cool. But then no one ever said anything about it again, and I was like, well, maybe that's not happening. And then it was like the end of that year. It was like I was in New York doing the off Broadway play. I had just moved to New York to do an off Broadway play and I was taking classes at NYU MARKI, where you went and then it came back around and they were like, the pilot's happening. And I think the first thing that happened, if I'm remember incorrectly, is that Sylvia Hortza and tear Weinberg came to see me in Dogs He's God, which was the play that I was doing off Broadway, and they were like, the producers want to come see you in the play and then take you to dinner after and like talk, and so they came to the play. We went to some fancy sushi restaurant in Midtown, and I like was such a nerd and I knocked everything over, Like I literally knocked all the water over. I was like, I was like, oh my god, I'm sorry. I'm really not as clum as. Again, of course they're like you are.
Speaker 2: Well, they found her.
Speaker 4: And actually I'm trying to remember at what point I watched the Columbian series. At some point before the script they sent me the series and they were like, here's what it's based on. Watch the series, and I remember watching like the first two episodes and being like this is incredible, Like this is amazing, this is such a perfect setup. Of course, people fall in love with her, of course people fall in love with this, like it made so much sense. And honestly, I don't think I even saw a script till after my audition, or like after I got it, I don't know, like then I then eventually they were like, they want you to audition for the studio, but I was in New York to an off Broadway play. That's why it's nice to be out of town, I know. And they were like, okay, well we'll have we'll put you on tape. You'll go to the studio and someone will put you on tape. So I showed up at the studio in Queen's actually where we ended up shooting season three and four, and and there was this. It was the set of like Faith and Hope. Was that a show that multi can And they sent like a fancy director and shot a c on the set. I was like, oh, this is not an audition. They like filmed the scene and it was the opening scene with me and the poncho and me being like, I like your pancho, and I remember that there was a big uproar I think because I think wires got crossed and hair and makeup just made me look like me instead of like benterfying me at all, and I think that there was like.
Speaker 1: So you look like glamorous and beautiful.
Speaker 4: I mean, thank you. So I gave with a thing where they were like, how is you know, like she does that look like ugly bag? Anyway, then that was the audition they put me on tape, but it was like a real scene that somebody directed on a set. And then and then that was that, and then I was I remember I was in between shows on dog Sy's God, I was like at the pizza place getting a slice around the corner and my phone rang and I believe that that was Terry and Sylvia calling me and they were like, how would you like to be our betty?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Did I get it right?
Speaker 2: Is she was shaking your eyes?
Speaker 4: It right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She had told us the story about the sushi restaurant.
Speaker 2: She was. She knocked everything.
Speaker 3: Was.
Speaker 4: I was a complete mess.
Speaker 2: What was What was your first day on set? Do you remember what you shot on your first day? Yes?
Speaker 4: I do remember, But I also Markie, I remember coming to do the chemistry you read with you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: Before that? Had you come into chemistry read with like two or three boys or something? And I remember you were so oh my god, you were so cute. Okay, I kind of remember. Tell me if I'm misremembering this. Maybe you don't even I don't even know if I remember. Like right before your audition you were like miss Parara, I just want to say, I just want to say, Miss fer a huge fan of yours. I'm really inspired by you and your work.
Speaker 2: Do you remember, Yes, yes, I do, because well I remember very distinctly. I don't remember saying miss Fererra, but probably sure the child actor. The child actor jumped out, no, I I remember so distinctly, like we were sitting in the waiting room and I think that there was like it was like me and one other boy that was sitting there, and uh, you got out of the elevator, and I was like, to my mom, it was the first time that I had ever been like starstruck, because I was like, I mean, I loved Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and so this was like on the heels of that. And I just like looked at my mom and I was like, Mom, that's Carmen, and she was like she was like just like relax and then obviously like I'm starting to like freak out, and but I remember it being I remember everyone being so warm in the room, like Sylvia and you and everyone as being like you, it's it's fine, just like do it and whatever. And I think we did the scene. We did the scene on the Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I remember that so well. And of course you walked out and everyone was like, oh my god, that's totally him.
Speaker 2: With my gap teeth and my braces and phile, hello, helloo, still have it.
Speaker 4: My first day on set was like kind of thrown at me because the night before, because I was we were supposed to shoot some scenes and then Sylvia calls me the night before and goes, so we don't have a Wilhelmina because the actors in cast they fir and and but they hadn't yet made the deal with Vanessa, I guess. And it was like, so we don't have a Wilhelminas, so we're switching things around for tomorrow. We're doing this other scene. We're turning the Wilhelmina parts into into Amanda. And I never Oh, I probably met Becky at the table. We'd be like, I didn't know anyone, None of us knew anyone really, and it was Oh my god, they just threw me right into the lionstead. It was literally the first scene was the scene where I had to walk out in that in the pilot, in that red latex latex pleather woody shorts cult with all the models doing like that crazy photos and me going to like, you look like you're gonna vomit, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, oh god, I feel so bad.
Speaker 4: For you and laughing. The hardest part of the pilot. It was the first thing we shot. And and then it was like me running out and Daniel coming behind me and me being like you think of a joke, and it was like it was very it was very trauma.
Speaker 1: Right into the fire, like that's the thing real. Yeah, Because then.
Speaker 4: We ended up reshooting that scene or doing like a not not a complete reshoot, but they wanted, like I think they ended up just like adding a shot, but we ended up reshooting that moment where I walk out of the dressing room in that outfit and they're all laughing at me. I was like, great, would love to go back to this moment and not now America. Now America would not care about twenty one years ago, as you know, having some trouble and we had to reshoot it. But then at the end of the day they only ended up like inserting one like shot of me making a face so that I didn't look so sad.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: You were too sad, well ambetizing.
Speaker 4: They're like, this is virgin On depressing its devastation, so sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we do a whole thing of like fashion flops and fashion thaves of each episode. But since since this is the beginning of it all, do you have I mean, it's really difficult because with Betty, you know, we couldn't really do like a fashion flop because you weren't a flap necessarily, but you were always so eccentric looking, like Betty's looks were always so sort.
Speaker 1: Of Betty, did you have any.
Speaker 3: Sort of involvement in like creating her vibe or her whole because she was never like dumpy or frumpy or anything like that. No, it was very real, very cool, Like now that's what people are, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the genius of pat Field, right, is like it takes someone who really knows what they're doing to do bad. Well, that's like to do something that looks quote unquote bad, but actually it's so fun to look at and for some reason works it shouldn't work, And that's Pat Field's genius and the thing that all, you know, I remember before the pilot, there was so much talk around like obviously, what was Betty going to look like? You know, how are we going to pull off this network ugly? Right? She's ugly, you know, quote unquote the fish out of water and looks kind of a mess to these fashion people, but also not unsightly and unseemly, because God forbid we you know, perturbed the network gods need to look at pretty people on television. But we it was like, is she gonna are they gonna have drawn pimples? I remember that was a co and it was like what are we gonna do? Like bangs or no bangs? And glasses and how how ridiculous is the clothing going to get? And I remember, you know, we had tried on a million different things and finally we got to something that Pat liked and she was like yeah, yes, and she was like looking at me. And then there were all these glasses on a table and I tried on all these glasses and it was like no, no, no, And then Pat takes the glasses off her face, puts them on me, and there Betty's iconic red glasses for pat Fields glasses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there.
Speaker 4: Was this moment when the glasses went on and we looked in the mirror and it.
Speaker 1: Was like.
Speaker 4: Her Like I just got the chills thinking about that moment because it was like it was such a guess. It was such a like she's here, like she's arrived, this is our bed and so yeah, it was so fun to really like explore and find it together. And Pat was always so collaborative and also just like such a genius. I feel like I learned so much about about good tailoring, about good fitting, like how things should fit my body, Like it was like being in a masterclass. Every time I was in.
Speaker 2: A it was.
Speaker 3: I always loved fittings. I thought the fittings were some of the most fun times I ever had.
Speaker 4: For sure, I hated them because there as I was always exhausted and they'd bring me and I know that might but then once I got in the clothing, it was so fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that the in watching it too, because from the pilot to then moving to La right, is that Pat didn't do we're talking about the first season, so like Pat only did the pilot, but I feel like some of the but some there were a few characters, namely the upcourse of Betty, but I thought that Hilda and Wilhelmina were pretty realized or not. Mark, We're pretty like like it transitioned over like pretty well too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Hilda and Mark were definitely the most realized for that time. I don't think I think, yeah, Wilhelmina had.
Speaker 2: Well, oh well, I mean what we what we're talking another caveat to the segment of flop or fearce or whatever we're calling it is. There's been a lot of hair stories told on this on this shows of it all for real it is it is no truly, I'm talking mostly about.
Speaker 3: The hair moments about in the first moments of silence, like just like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: What happened me?
Speaker 1: Did it look like girl?
Speaker 2: Girl? It looked like plastic hair? I at one point Party City Halloween Tipper.
Speaker 3: At one point Hilda has like I had like it looked like a horsetail just glued onto the side of my head.
Speaker 2: You're like, go back and look at it.
Speaker 3: It looks bonkers bananas, like what are we?
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 2: And we also have been talking about how Wilhelmina's poof on top of her head as an episode will go on, it just grows larger and larger and larger until she has like a Marie Antoinette kind of situation going unreal.
Speaker 4: While for us all to find hard, we're.
Speaker 3: Also I think part of it was like because you know it what there was so much sort of turmoil with the you know, with getting the show and getting the and having support from the network and having support from the powers that be, so we had like you know, we were trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents.
Speaker 1: So it's like we did have probably I did probably have a ponytail from party seat.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, like a three dollars ponytail that they like bobby pins you could have.
Speaker 4: Couldn't make it. I didn't make it any easier on the hair and makeup team because so for the pilot when we shot the pilot in New York and then we moved to la But for the pilot, they made a decision to use my hair but like glue on every day, like a weft.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that it was your hair in the pilot.
Speaker 4: So it was my hair that they would fry and single effing day fry it and make it frizzy and big and then tease it all day. Oh so you come home destroyed and then they would glue. They would clue and then they keeel the glue off in it, Like my my hairline had like receded back. How do we know this?
Speaker 2: I wish I could have seen that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the hair drama started early.
Speaker 1: The hadrama.
Speaker 4: When the pilot ended, I we didn't even know if the show was going. I was like, my hair was so destroyed. And I was also like traumatized from like how long it would take and whatever.
Speaker 2: I was just.
Speaker 4: Walking down the street one day in New York, like passed a salon and I was like, I'm chopping it off, like it was so so then I went and like chopped it off to my ears, like this crazy pixil cut that I never should have gotten as a random salon in New York. And and I was like, you know, show goes there. If they show goes, they'll have to use a wig because like I don't, my hair is going to be destroyed and so so then the pilot did get picked up, and then I had no hair, and like I couldn't even do like bangs or anything. So there was so I kind of added to the drama because I kind of dropped on my hair upic and and then at first, you guys, the first solution was was to I wonder if we did any episodes with this version of it, was to give me extensions, but my own hair was so they gave me these extensions no mirror so and the extensions were like six straight, like.
Speaker 3: You know, right, yeah, And and I wake.
Speaker 4: Up in the morning extensions would be stick straight, and my.
Speaker 2: Hair so they really like they like glued them in or like they sewed them into your head at a certain point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they sent me somewhere to get the extensions. But it was the most frighting. It was woke up in the morning, and I think Ryan was just like, no, and you waking up with like my hair and an half ro but was incredible. I'm so curious if we ever even shot No. So I feel like you were so awful that they were.
Speaker 3: Like no, no, the wings are crazy, but not like that, No.
Speaker 2: Not not that that.
Speaker 4: No, they would of course straighten my hand.
Speaker 1: No, I know, no, you could tell this was away.
Speaker 2: No, you could tell it was a way yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then you know, we struggled with the like drawing on my brows, what are my brows supposed to look like? Are they going to glue like individual hairs to my face? And then they're moving all day and then there's an you know, there's an eyebrow hair up on my forehead in the middle of the take, and like then it was like no, no, no, we'll draw them on. But then they look like caterpillars. It was like it was a real Yeah, it was a real journey to find it.
Speaker 2: It was even but even getting to now, you know, we've watched quite a few that it's like before this this air, but that did you start to see that it starts to become like even better, like better and better as time goes on. But the first the first few episodes were very growing pains. Yeah, yeah, there was the plastic hair, the you know but we oh, but we I love this question. Wait, hold on, we just heard and saw you hysterically laughing for real. But one of the things that Anna and I have always made fun of you for is not being able to fake laugh.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you remember you used to make poor Chris gorm because this is later on in the in the season, y'all, but bear with us, like when Henry comes through, When Chris Cora's character Henry comes through, and he would have to like make you giggle and laugh, and he would tell a stupid joke and you were like, that's not funny.
Speaker 1: You're not making me laugh.
Speaker 2: What can I say?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, it wouldn't make me laugh, but that would make you laugh telling him he wasn't funny, but then we were.
Speaker 4: And if I would just laugh bad, then I would laugh for real at that's right, right? But the yeah, that is still true to this day. I don't know how to fake laugh, which makes me think like there's something wrong with my deep soul, Like, what's wrong girl? Laugh? I just feel like you, in particular, Honor, I really really like envy this and you you can laugh at anything. It's just sad because I also love making you laugh, and I never know if it's real or.
Speaker 2: Not, because you're like, she does have a really good fake laugh. I do have a good fake laugh, but I.
Speaker 1: Do generally find a lot of shit for me.
Speaker 4: You find, you find a lot funny, and that's what I envy. I'm like, I wish that I was quick to laugh at everything, and I'm just a little bit more. Yeah, that's how I want to be more like you in the way that you're like so generous with your laughter. And apparently I'm a.
Speaker 5: Stingy you are not.
Speaker 2: You are like, No, I.
Speaker 4: Can't think. But it's also true that I could never hold in my laughter. That's why how many tastes did I ruin?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Those are the best. I wish we had the outtakes of all of those.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like there's got to I don't know if those blooper reels. Yeah, the blooper reels exist somewhere, Terry saying that she has them. We should definitely we should watch them.
Speaker 4: Part of your show.
Speaker 2: We know we definitely should.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: No, No, you, Oh do you remember?
Speaker 1: Do you remember when we were shooting the pilot? Can I tell the story?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 3: You can tell you when we all went out to lunch we were shooting the family scene. We went out to lunch, me and Tony and Markie and we were coming up and.
Speaker 1: You were like, you guys, it feels like we just feel like such a real family. This is so amazing, Like Tony, you feel.
Speaker 3: Like my dad, and I was just like my crazy sister, and Mark you is just like this cute little my gay nephew. And Marky turns around because Justin's gay.
Speaker 4: I do remember that. I remember that. And the thing is, I don't think I don't think you guys. Let me in on on Markey like his reaction because I was just like, yeah, I was like Tony, you're like my and Hannah you're just like my sister. And Mark it's like you're my game?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 4: And he just like looked at me and smiled and then we like hugged and then like I walked away already, and I think he probably turned to you and was like, Justin's gay.
Speaker 1: Must have been.
Speaker 2: I was the last to know, but then watching it, Hey, I came in and was just like gay gay, the gay is gay?
Speaker 4: Wait wait but Mark, okay, weld On. I know you're doing the interview, but like, I mean that was a journey for you. Yeah yeah, I mean when did you? I mean, I don't know, I don't even know what the question is like, so I'm the one who broke it to you that Justin was gay, probably, And I remember like those moments where like the press was like awful to you and they ask you really awful questions, and was it like did you ever find I don't know, did you ever like I mean obviously, like when we were on set, like we did nothing but love you and surround you with like so much fun and laughter and joy and fun. But like, was it hard the whole way through? Did it ever get easier to like I think this kid who people projected so much onto, I.
Speaker 2: Think it got Honestly, I think it got harder as I got older. I think that there was such an innocence of like the kind of the first two seasons of just because I hadn't I never was even thinking about my sexuality at that time. I think that when I started kind of like discovering who I was and what my sexuality was. As I like went into teenage years, I think it got harder to deal with because it was like, on one hand, I was surrounded by so much love and support, but then it was like the opposite by like the press and stuff like that. So I kind of was like, is it is it okay for me to be gay or not? Or you know, I kind of was struggling with that, and I think that that's part of the reason why I didn't really watch the show until now, and so now I just it feels so far away that and I've done so I mean, you know, I've come so far, and I'm so like proud of my sexuality and like it's just I don't even really think about it as such anymore. And also socially and culturally, I think that a lot has has changed. I think, you know, based on but you.
Speaker 3: Really were like the first kid, you know, young kid who was for I mean, it was obvious that you were gay. It was referenced all the time on the show. You know, you're sort of like the you know, even in that episode of the Halloween episode where again we'll get there, you guys, but you know where it's like, you know, I hope the kid knows how to throw a punch, and like it was just constantly sort of alluded to of that. It wasn't set out right, but it was definitely in the script. You know, it's definitely in the in the story, I mean, and nobody else was doing that.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, but nobody else is doing a lot of stuff that we did on the show. I mean, like that's true.
Speaker 3: I mean that, I mean, has that sort of like a has that sort of been? I mean, we're watching it and it's so incredible how there was so much that we touched on that's now coming around again and still is sort of even more at the forefront, the immigration, the the healthcare, the especially within the Suarez family, that sort of.
Speaker 1: Thing that we were dealing.
Speaker 3: With, and we did with such like empathy but also such humor.
Speaker 1: And it was never like finger.
Speaker 3: Wagging, did you have any like what was that? I know what that we sort of talked about a little bit for us, But how was that for you?
Speaker 1: Because that was your you know show.
Speaker 4: I was always so proud of that part of it, you know, And I think and I agree with you, like because it was a comedy and the writer is always strived to make it about the characters. We were able to do so much and and just by these characters and the brilliant actors playing them. You had so much love for them that the writers could had so much latitude with what they could explore. You know, Yes, I remember the health like the storyline about Buppy and like his health insurance, and obviously the deportation, and of course Justin's ongoing identity. But I also remember, like one of my favorite episodes season three or four was like the one where Mark and I are in competition for this one spot at this like junior editor training thing, and and and then it becomes all about like a DEI issue.
Speaker 1: You know, I forgot all about that.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it that I got that I got the job because I was DEI, you know, and dealing with that, and like you're right, there was, you know, and I haven't gone back and watched it. And my sense is that there's probably some jokes that like we wouldn't be able.
Speaker 3: To tell it to me, Oh girl, we have a whole like we have a whole section that we say like leave it or keep it?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like could you say that in twenty twenty five, Yeah, yeah, you know, when the whole thing of like Rebecca playing trance right, And at the time it was huge because there had not been a regular transcarrot, like a series, regular trans character on a broadcast show that way. So it was like huge, this big progressive step forward and these days, you know, we'd get canceled for not casting a trans person in that room. And so it's like you can only you've got to watch it with that, you know, with that in mind of like, well, you we only lived it forward and lived in the time that we were in. But I agree that, you know, to me, it's what it was the balance of the show why it was so emotional and heartwarming but funny and ridiculous. It like we were we really they weren't afraid to touch a lot of real issues. And I do think that the Suarrez family is what gave the show so much grounding and so much heart and why we could explore the issues of you know, class inequality and all of that stuff. Like, yeah, to me, that was that was the real magic of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so interesting because we did have sort of the heart of the Suarez, you know where I mean the heart of the show, which was what I think the Suarez has. But then you go to mode and it's like was I mean the thing is that with like with Mark and Wilhelmina and Amanda constantly sort of you know, like pranking you and dogging you out and like constantly like making fun of you.
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 1: I mean it was so hilarious and so much fun.
Speaker 3: I mean it looked fun from us, but I mean it couldn't have ever just sort of like worn down me.
Speaker 4: No, no, oh my god, it made me laugh.
Speaker 3: I mean those blueper reels because I think that's when you really broke up.
Speaker 1: Was like all because working with Michael uri.
Speaker 4: But I think that's why it worked, because I think underneath people could tell how much love there was, you know, even in the characters like they were horrified by her, but you could tell, you know, in the genius of Michael and Becky, and also just how much we all loved each other so much that it was like the teasing was there and the awfulness was there, but you knew that there was love underneath it. And I never felt anything but like so much joy playing those scenes.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and you know, because.
Speaker 4: We just broke all the time and laughed and tried to like, you know, one up each other, and it was it was just such a blast.
Speaker 3: And then Ashley would come through and at least you had her, you know, you had Christina on your side always sort of like taking up for you when she was so flipping funny. We were talking about how she had said they or some terry said that. At one point, we're thinking, like maybe that she should do an American accent and not have not do her Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: And it was like.
Speaker 3: Ba because the conceit, the conceit of Vanessa never being able to understand what she said.
Speaker 2: I can't understand her mark she.
Speaker 4: I remember that in the pilot. I'll never forget that she had. There was a line the first time that I'm in the closet in the pilot and she's talking to me and she said something about like better up, And every time I hear the word burlap, I just think of, actually, she's the cool list.
Speaker 2: I remember when we finished with the show, and I remember the very last time that the very last like Suarez moment. I remember everyone just not being able to kind of control themselves. But so, but what did it feel like saying goodbye to her.
Speaker 4: In the at the in the pilot or at the end.
Speaker 1: Of at the end.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it was so devastating. I mean and I and I had to do it twice because I remember our last Oh my god, you guys, I'm going to cry. I'm not going to cry. I remember our last night queens, like in front of the house, honor, are you gonna cry? You?
Speaker 1: I read because I have all these pictures because Paloma was there.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sorry, she was like a little bit stop guys, Oh my god, we're so we are.
Speaker 4: I was like, not expected. Why am I so emotional? And I yeah, that was such a hard night. I mean, I just remember, like it was just so much love. It's like so grateful for that it happened. And I think the true thing about really all of us on the show is I don't think we took a second of it for granted. Like I think we were all for the whole four years, for the whole eighty how many eighty eight how many episodes did we do? I don't know, eighty four eighty eight episodes. I just feel like we knew, we understood the magic that we were getting to live with each other, and it was just devastating every time I choot my last with you know, I remember my last scene with Becky and Michael and we just all got into one trailer and cried and hugged each other, you know, And my last scene with Wilhelmina you know, so it like the goodbyes happened. But I remember our last last scene in New York was in Queens in front of the house, and I remember Betty having to drive away in the car and turn around and say goodbye, and it was just like it was devastating. I remember like that I just slept for I don't know, like seventeen hours.
Speaker 3: I think he actually did sleep for seventeen hours after that. I remember that so vividly.
Speaker 4: But then my last last scene was in London.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Eric.
Speaker 4: And I had the last Betty Daniel scene in Leicester Square. But then I had my very last moment like alone in front of in front of a West End theater where Betty was meeting some like random London friend or whatever for and like and I remember too it felt so lonely because the camera was like across the street and like Silvio and Richard and Victor were all like behind the monitor across the street, and I was like by myself on this random street in London, and they yelled, that's a wrap, and I was like.
Speaker 6: Oh, by myself in London, like like numb, like not understanding what it meant for the show to be over and just and like it took like a good couple of minutes for everyone else to get across the street, so that I you know, but it was like it was such.
Speaker 4: A surreal.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 4: It felt like there were multiple ends, but that like very very last end was And again I feel like I like it took me forever to process it that it was that it was really like over because it was just like it was a dream. I mean, obviously we all had our challenges and it, you know, every every experience has its ups and downs. But I just feel like none of us ever wavered in knowing like that we had lightning in a bottle, and particularly like with all these people that we loved so much and still loved so much.
Speaker 2: Did you keep anything? Did you take anything? Like from statute?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the statute of Limitations?
Speaker 2: So we've discussed how much we took everything, and that's brought a moving van.
Speaker 1: That looked like her whole friend. What did you say?
Speaker 4: I took the original? I think I have it. I think that gave it to me. We're one of the original Ponchos. I'm sure there's more than one, but and every every Sunday I take it out and I wear it all day and you're like creepy when you stop. Oh, I'm kidding. I don't. I've never I've never bound caused put it on.
Speaker 2: That would be so iconic, so sad you just sit around.
Speaker 4: No, but yeah, I yeah, but I I I'll never forget you too. After wrap like running around this ware's house, like grab.
Speaker 2: Utility, this is This was on the back of the this is mine. This was on the back of the couch. Eh, this is.
Speaker 1: The real one from the couch?
Speaker 4: Did that's the real one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I like like little knick knacks and things, you know, I like one like end table, but I have like little lamps and things like that. I was just grabbing stuff. Yeah, but I was. That's I was curious. I was curious if you had the braces too.
Speaker 4: I think I do. We also had a bajillion sets. Yeah I know, and this is like of course jumping seasons ahead and but like the greatest irony of those damn braces as that the whole time I had my perfect smile those ugly braces underneath. And in the episode where the braces come off, I went in to rehearse and it was something in the scene Betty's braces get stuck. Do you remember this the dress that's on a mannequin, And so the only way to get her off the dress and not ruined the dress is for them to call in a doctor and take the braces off. And that's like how Betty's braces come off. And we were rehearsing the scene in the moment where my teeth gets stuck to the thing and I run into the mannequin and chip, like I really chip my front tooth, like a third of my tooth, And it was like, are you kidding me? Like in the episode where the braces come off and imposed to have perfect teeth, like literally on the day, that is outrageous, And they have let some emergency orthodontist come to the set and like put some sort of you know, cap on it to get me through the day. And then it was a nightmare. But yeah, that was the great irony of those damns.
Speaker 1: You do have perfect teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also that those braces were on for a long time when your teeth were so perfect.
Speaker 4: Why did Betty have braces on for three years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like ten years.
Speaker 4: I just assumed they didn't have the money to get them off, like I don't.
Speaker 2: We'll suspend disbelief for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll ask you.
Speaker 3: Well, let's us let's talk about the Golden Globes, because that happened like like a second out.
Speaker 2: Of the gate.
Speaker 3: I think we had aired like three episodes and you know, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: No, well, because we premiered in September, you know, and then the Globes durre in January, so maybe like all.
Speaker 3: The nominations came out when the nominations, Yeah, but I think that was such a dream.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Then our hair budget came up a little bit. Yeah, that's right, stopped having.
Speaker 4: I mean, and I'm sure you guys agree, Like it just feels like it's felt like, yeah, like a fever dream, like like you're on a you know, like you're in a crazy, cloudy haze and you're not really experiencing any of it like in the present moment. I don't know, Like for me, it was like my first time ever at like a major award show. We're nominated for everything, this show wits. I went like it was.
Speaker 1: Just like it was such.
Speaker 4: A crazy girl wind and I remember that I'm so glad we have that one picture of all of us. I know that that Alan Dale like.
Speaker 1: Had friends, and I do love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I still have that very prominently displayed in my office. But it's it's yeah, I mean, I feel like that night was such a fever dream and and I mean i'd love I don't know, I it was perfect.
Speaker 1: It was perfect. It was it was like and then I think we just I mean that was really the You're right, it was like getting shot out of a cannon all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: Well because we got nominated for like didn't we get nominated for like twelve Golden Clothes did, Like it was like everything and everyone got nominated.
Speaker 1: It was so insane, I think.
Speaker 4: So yes, writing, directing, guest star, like all of it, Like it was huge. It was crazy. I remember like people coming extra coming to the set the next day. You know, it's like when this was my first time on a television show, like I didn't know how it was supposed to happen. YouTube Mark obviously I too.
Speaker 3: I mean I think most of us actually except for you know Vanessa and and is that true that was your first time I had done like a guest star on NYPD Blue.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not true.
Speaker 1: I did it. I did it.
Speaker 3: I did do a show with kristin Channel I did a multi cam sitcom but they aired they they we shot I don't know. I think we shot like ten and they aired four and it gotcads.
Speaker 1: But that was a multi cam.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was URI's first, I know.
Speaker 4: And it kind of like ruined all of us, I imagine, because it's like, not only is it the best group of people ever, not only are you having the best freaking time making it, but then like people love it as much as you love it, which is like, oh my gosh, that's amazing, and then you had nominated for all these everything it just felt like this feels like a crazy, weird dream. And then it just also like set the bar too high and sent us all to therapy after at.
Speaker 3: Least, although I will say if I went through it with any group of people, I'm glad it was us because there was still like there was still a groundedness to it.
Speaker 1: I think with all of us, there just there just was. It just was.
Speaker 2: I don't find that anyone got even after all of that success, were like affected by it.
Speaker 1: Do people still because you've you've.
Speaker 3: Done so I mean, my god, just with the Barbie and the Oscar of it all alone.
Speaker 1: But like, do people still mention Betty to you at all?
Speaker 7: Or oh my god, oh my god, yes, oh Betty's still like a huge, huge part of uh yeah, of what people think of me as and and I love it and and now that it's on streaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know people who weren't even alive when we better.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's the whole new audience of it all is that that's have.
Speaker 4: Your as Paloma watched?
Speaker 3: Have your kids well, I mean, Ralph couldn't care less, but balow my, yeah, Baaloma has.
Speaker 1: Shees told she loves it.
Speaker 3: But we're doing the rewatch now, so she'll we're doing the you know, and I'm happy less ye.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean I love that because now I have friends with like ten year old They're like, I'm watching a great buddy with my ten year old and it's exactly is It's like it's so sweet.
Speaker 3: All right. So here's there's the price we're gonna bring in for you.
Speaker 4: Is it a puppy?
Speaker 2: It's a puppy.
Speaker 3: No, And we're just going to bring into surprise and you can sort of, you know, take it from there.
Speaker 2: The gang's all back together.
Speaker 3: The sare famili in that house.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't believe we.
Speaker 1: Have all the Sarres in one spot again, Yes we do.
Speaker 4: I mean, we haven't been together in fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Please, yeah, I know, but.
Speaker 5: I can't forget south By Southwest.
Speaker 3: That was That was so fun when we all went there, so fun.
Speaker 5: So A, now that we mentioned the moment, I know, if you remember America right before we did our first scene. I can't remember exactly where we were, but you said, let's we we held hands and you said, let's remember this moment before we embark on this journey.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll never forget that. Do you guys remember that?
Speaker 1: I do, now that you mentioned it, absolutely remember.
Speaker 5: That there was something about you. You said, this moment is important, and then we had this for your journey.
Speaker 1: Yeautiful, you always were. You were that girl.
Speaker 3: So A, now that we have you, we've been asking everybody we asked. But so when we do the multi the limited series A reboot, are you are you in?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Everybody knows that. I always see that I would do it in a heartbeat. Yeah, And I think we all would I don't think. I think every single one of us.
Speaker 2: Everyone has said everyone is like it's like an emphatic when yeah, right.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about just like while we have us all here together, a tone we were saying, how like the swat is of it all was really sort of the you know, the heart of the show where it's like you could go to Mode and there was you know, there was like all the fun and fashion all of that. But I think we were really sort of the America said it early is just sort of the grounding of the show, even though.
Speaker 5: We well we were the real normal people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, no queens.
Speaker 5: There more kind of a you know, kind of a human way. I mean, those people in Mode were in the stratosphere somewhere of their own little making, right. I love the contrast. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Some of my favorite moments were when the people from Mode would come to the Stat's house.
Speaker 5: Like those Christmas episode with Daniel decorating that tree. Broke my heart. He says, I never got to do this, Like.
Speaker 4: When Mark came out to his mom Patty Lapo.
Speaker 5: And I was talking about Daniel when he decorates the Christmas tree. Yes, we're all decorating it and and and he says, I've never done this before. He decorated song professionally at my house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when and when when when clear Mead comes over, Jui comes over, and when and then there was that amazing episode where Becky and Michael came.
Speaker 3: Over and Colah, there's an h in it.
Speaker 2: After.
Speaker 4: Yes, I feel like it completely the tone of the house as even though of course it was I mean, it was striking that balance of like making it the tone feel feel consistent and like we all lived in kind of the same world, but that at the Suarez House there was like a deep reality that like would set in and where, at least for me, where Betty could kind of always fall apart and be vulnerable and not be like the perfect good one who was above everything. Like Betty was a brat, you know, and she was a little bit selfish, and like it was so nice to have that. It felt like such a haven, like such a safe space.
Speaker 3: Even even the the Mode people would come there and that's like to your point, Tony, that's where they would sort of fall apart.
Speaker 1: That's where they could let their hair down, and you know that's yeah.
Speaker 5: I think more you know, down to earth. Yes, it's just part of the earthiness. I think, the groundedness, like you said, America, of that family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so funny that I never thought of it like that before.
Speaker 1: But you're right.
Speaker 3: That's where Daniel came to fall apart. That's where Mark had his moment with his mother. That's where sort of even Amanda's character, she would come and sort of be like when she housed that entire plate of fly on and then Tony you had to bring more and you know, but she would eat with us and like, you know, you know.
Speaker 1: It just you're right. I never sort of actually had that viewpoint of it.
Speaker 3: But you're right, that's where everybody could sort of come and just be real and be human and grounded for a while.
Speaker 1: I love that. I've never ye you know, put that to you know.
Speaker 5: I think America's right that those scenes in the house with mode people was really where the two worlds collide and interact. And I think where you see all those forces that I think made the the show so resonant and so relevant is where the the you know, the the upper class and the lower class or the working class kind of come together and and it contrasts the two worlds in a way that was really compelling thought and really kind of defined Betty because he was in both worlds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really was able to do that.
Speaker 3: I'm so so excited about us doing a reboot I cannot even tell you. And I'm so so thankful that a you took the time to come through today, and Tony you came in and gave us our little poppy moment. I again, I reserve the right to call you both back for whatever.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is that we need from.
Speaker 5: I know America kids seen ugly Betty.
Speaker 4: No, well no, they've seen pictures of ugly Betty because I think someone at school told them your's ugly Betty. And then Lucia came home one day and said, Mom, are you ugly Betty? And I and I was like, I played a character named Betty on a show called Ugly Betty. And then she, like, you know, didn't say anything. And then a couple days later it was like, can I say a picture of you as as an ugly Betty? And I showed at her and then I'll text all three of you. But oh my god, I had a friend send me when I had Baz the first Halloween baby costume is a baby Guadalajara pond Joe and God, a wig, gasses and like a pacifier with braces on. I have a picture of both of the kids wearing it next to me and I'll text it to you. I picture ever, so they know they've heard tell of Betty, but they've not. But eventually, eventually.
Speaker 5: And so like my daughter won a context. She was ugly Betty on our first season. I remember that and she said, what do you what do you to be for Halloweens? I mean ugly Betty's faut.
Speaker 4: Old sweater. Well, I remember that first Halloween. Yes, the Wee Pride Parade like one of the number one costumes.
Speaker 2: That's when you know, I recall that. Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: So many people Betty and it was like, okay, we're we're onto something.
Speaker 2: If the gays. If the gays are loving it, she is prove and.
Speaker 4: They want to dress like her, then yes.
Speaker 3: America, tell us about what you're doing right now.
Speaker 1: You're promoted. What do you want on your press.
Speaker 4: Tour for I'm on a press tour for the Lost, But oh my gosh, it's like Ugly Betty, but not at all. It's It's an action thriller but based on a true story of the wildfire in California in twenty eighteen. Paradise, California is still the deadliest wildfire in southern California. And Paul green Grass and Brilliant director Captain Phillips born Identity Movies Buddy directed it and Matthew McConaughey and I star. He's a bus driver, I'm a teacher and we have to rescue twenty two kids from the middle of the fire. And it's a true story.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So now you're an action hero on top of everything else, Like, what can't you do?
Speaker 2: Action star?
Speaker 4: Now, Dan, I can't get I can't get in between marking on that day.
Speaker 3: And we're in full circle and we're back to that back she's she's a girl.
Speaker 5: Please, nothing has changed. Nothing has changed, Tony.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my internet for some reasons.
Speaker 1: Oh we love you, guys.
Speaker 2: We love so much.
Speaker 3: Where Tony, are you doing anything you want to tell us about? I know last time we asked you, you didn't know your Instagram.
Speaker 5: I just did. I just did a couple of episodes of Only Murders in the Building with you know, my my buddies from Three Amigos. Sure it was fun. Oh my god, I did. I just did a movie with Jennifer Lopez. Office Romance with Bred Goldstein, the guy from ted Las. Okay, we want a couple of Emmy's on that show. Also, he's he's he Also he's a writer on Shrinking with Michael.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right. He plays the football.
Speaker 5: Michael just got an an Emmy nomination.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw him. I saw him there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, wait, thank you guys for coming on. We love you so much, we love you, We love the sweater is guest. Catch us on the reboot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be back. Yeah. Iconic, amazing, iconic because I feel like we talk so much about like we all have very similar stories that we share all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But she really dropped like some nuggets of information that I had no idea about, namely that of the hair, the bangs, the bangs, I could not any extensions. I can't because I can.
Speaker 1: Picture it totally, absolutely, I can picture it.
Speaker 3: I wish we had a photo I have no idea about that make her post it.
Speaker 2: God so incredible.
Speaker 1: She's our sister, she is our you know.
Speaker 3: It's so funny how we all it says, if we just saw each other yesterday, it's a wonderful, beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: How we quote unquote ice her out, how she's the third wheel. She has said that since day die got a grip.
Speaker 1: I have to say, we do kind of rub it in though.
Speaker 2: We yeah, well we definitely yeah, I mean we're not quiet about it. But it's funny now. But thanks for joining us, guys. That was so much fun. And we're going to be back next week with season two, Episode two, The Box and the Bunny.
Speaker 3: And we're going to have the Gina Gambarro, Ava Gaudette, so legend gorgeous.
Speaker 1: She hasn't changed a day.
Speaker 2: I'm furious and she just and she loves the show just as much as we do. So yeah, it's gonna be so much fun, all right, guys.
Speaker 1: Viva Betty.
Speaker 3: Viva Betty is a production of Propagate Content into partnership with Iheart's Mike Ubuda Podcast Networks.
Speaker 2: We are your hosts On Ortiz and Markey Delcado.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Terry Weinberg, Lyn Lee, and Diego Fapia.
Speaker 2: Our senior producer is Emily Carr and the show is directed and edited by Mark A.
Speaker 3: For more podcast, listen to the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.