Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: An attempted coup in Benin has been thwarted by rapid action from its West African neighbors, led by Nigeria.
Speaker 3: Nigeria came to our aid by conducting strikes at the end of the day with its military aircraft, which immobilized some of the armored vehicles.
Speaker 2: At least nine countries have faced coups in Africa since the COVID pandemic, but after years of inaction by the regional Economic block. This time the response was much more emphatic.
Speaker 3: I would like to commend the sense of duty of our army and its leaders who remained republican and loyal to the nation. With them, we stood firm, recaptured our positions and cleared the last packets of resistance from the mutineers. This treachery will not to go unpunished.
Speaker 2: On today's episode of The Next Africa Podcast, well look at what happened in Benin, which other countries could be at risk, and whether the domino of West African coups could be halted. I'm Jennifer's Abasadov and this is the Next Africa Podcast, bringing you one story each week from the Continent, driving the future of global growth with the context only Bloomberg can provide. Joining us this week is Bloomberg's Katerina Joyhe, who is based in West Africa and has written this week's Next Africa newsletter. Katerina, thanks so much for joining us on the podcast again. Katerina, Let's start with the weekend's events. Talk us through what exactly happened in Benin and when it became clear that something potentially damaging for the country was happening.
Speaker 1: On Sunday morning. For the people in Courtanu, it was probably you know when gunfire started as the soldiers attactive military base and raided at arms. Case for the rest of the world, I think it was when they came on State TV saying that they had also the president and taking control fort a very familiar picture here in West Africa. The soldiers then managed to actually get close enough to the President's residency for him to witness the clash's first hand. They also succeeded in kidnapping two senior military officers who were only released the next day. But the fact that Talom was never arrested and could get called through to Nigeria as President Bollatinovu, who before the end of the day sent in the fighter jets took that conducted airstrate against the soldiers, and then that was joined by troops from Ivory Coast, while one of Benin's allies, France, provided intelligence and logistics. I think this was all a much swifter response to a clear coup attempt than we'd seen in the region more often. And you know, by the end of the day, the soldiers were back in control in Kotunu. We know that they're still chasing down the last mutineers, but basically a botched coup in a few hours.
Speaker 2: And we know that as you were just pointing out there, the response from echoas in the past has not been as swift. What changed this time? I mean you said it was over by the end of the day. That's that's quite different than what we've seen elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Compared to its neighbors Bulkina, Faso, Niger, Benin is still seen as quite relatively stable, which gives it more political weight and makes Echos more willing to defend an elected government. Also again the fact that Talon was not arrested. The other thing is, of course the fear of Benin joining the Sahel military block with Marlin, Niger and Bukina Faso, it still sort of shows that they're not completely they still don't know exactly how to handle these cups because Echo's in action in Guinea Bisau last month where it was a coup for example, sort of shows that whether they react or not still remains mainly on whether it's politically important to them, and not exactly because they're playing by a rule book and Katarina.
Speaker 2: Over the past few years we've reported as you have two of the retreat of French troops and France more broadly in the region, why did they decide to step in here in Benin?
Speaker 1: France has remained loyal to Binin or vice versa, unlike countries like Marl Nigier and Burkina Faso where we've seen French troops along with this European al as forced to leave. So France providing a bit of logistics support and intelligence as they confirmed and as Beinin has also confirmed as well. Makes sense then obviously avoiding sending troops getting in underground, which has proved to be unsuccessful in the past. Benin remains again not a huge market for France, but the coastal countries are still where where France has their main business interest right now. So defending these countries and preventing as bill a or biggest billover of violence from the SAHELLE is another strategic interest for France. We've also seen France moving closer to Nigeria. President McConn was in Abuja as late as September, so again that backing a new ally in the region could also have been motivation for France to react in.
Speaker 2: This case, which of course brings up President Tinubu. Because you pointed out the crucial role that Nigeria played, how do you read into his response and his role in this whole scenario.
Speaker 1: I mean Nigeria moved fast for its own interests. Beanin is vital to Nigeria's economy. The porting continu is important for trade and movement and goods. It's close to Nigeria's biggest city, Legos, which is then also a commercial capital. Secondly, as the security spillover risks were high in this case, Al Qaeda militants have recently crossed from into Nigeria, sort of making a stable Beanin more important for Tinabu. I think there's also some personal motivations here. It was sort of a chance for him to show that he has a strong role regionally. In twenty twenty three, he tried to react against the coup in neighbor in Nigier, but because it was too slow Toinebri had just come to power. When Nigeria and the regional bloc finally reacted, you know, the coup was only completed. That this was maybe a way of him to rectifying that image.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about just how concerning some parts of Nigeria are, just given some of the militants and the Islamust militants and the threat that they pose. Do you think he was maybe trying to send a message to his electorate that he is taking a stand.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if he was doing that, he would have maybe reacted in Nigeria. The country has seen a spiky militant activity with mass abductions and attacks against civilians. Only last month the gunman at the church killing pastor and worshippers, and days later, maybe even more significant, more than three hundred students and teachers, we're kidnapped from a boarding school. I mean, President Tinobu has reacted by naming a new defense chief, but hasn't actually been able to stop these attacks. And he's also become under pressure from US President Trump, who has warned at Christianity in Nigeria faces an exontential threat and threatening to cut aid and even intervene militarily. So I'm thinking that Nigeria's are probably wondering, if we can send fighter jets to beinin why can't we do the same in our country.
Speaker 2: Absolutely stick with me, Katerina. When we come back, we'll broad in the conversation out from Nigeria and talk about some of the other states in the region that are potentially nervous about potential coups in the future and what that might mean for twenty twenty six. We'll be right back. Welcome back today. On the podcast, we're digging into the attempted coup and Benin and what it means for democratic governments in West Africa. Our reporter Katerina Joye is still with me. So, Katerina, you wrote in the newsletter this week about the eight coups that have taken place in Africa since twenty twenty. You briefly touched on it before, but how do you assess the reason why there's been so many over the past just five years.
Speaker 1: I mean they're all taking place in sort of like a regional context of insecurity and often fragile leadership, with violence, especially from the Sales State, spreading into West African coastal countries. Here. I think Benin it's already been the deadliest year yet which attacks from militants violence has searched, with fatalities reaching nearly seventy percent increase. There's also discontent with political elites, leaders who've been elected more or less fairly and then failed to actually improve lives for the citizens. Again, in Benin, we heard the military speak about the lack of development. They mentioned education and also economic mismanagement, and that is something that we've seen and across the board, and which is which is very vivid among large, growing, young populations that are struggling to find jobs and you make a living for themselves. Then again, I mean absolutely there is the regional local differences, but I think the sort of main factor this we've been driving coups in recent years.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of states that are likely looking to the situation in beneath and wondering what that could mean. For them. Of course, earlier this year we did see Madagascar with a similar situation. Are there any other states in West Africa that you think potentially are in a position to be vulnerable to kous And.
Speaker 4: I think, without naming any names, anywhere where leaders have extended their power either by changing constitutions or or by preventing opponents from running in elections, I mean then we can mention Ivercoast and Togo there is a risk.
Speaker 1: And this is again pad with you know, big young populations that are demanding better opportunities along with Islamist violence in some of these states. So I think any any country that are seeing display out is at risk more is more vulnerable to accoup.
Speaker 2: To say, and that's becoming even increasing in the number of states that we see across the continent. What are you paying attention to next, Katarina? Just given this latest incident in Benin.
Speaker 1: I think what's going to be interesting to look at is, of course his elections coming up in Benin next year. And Talon has done exactly what I mentioned that you probably shouldn't be doing. He has been sidelining political opponents and he's now paving the way for his successor Finance Minister Romal Bardani to take over power while but done. He is a great technocrat who's been hailed as the man behind Benin's economic success. He might not have the same credentials or political ideas as Kaloon has, so that's definitely a risk. And then I'll be looking at neighboring countries. We have Togo that's seen protests since President Forgna Singbe extended his rule there earlier this year, so that's definitely what we're looking at. And again the security issues, the triangle with Nizier ben In Nigeria is seeing a spread of Islamist violence. Again, I would say fertile ground for violence.
Speaker 2: And who's Katherine, Thanks again so much for joining us today and you can read karina is reporting from West Africa, including her recent newsletter on Bloomberg platforms. Now here's some of the other stories we've been following across the region this week. US Trade Representative Jamison Greer says he is happy to consider removing South Africa from the list of Africans that receives duty free access known as a go up to the American economy and the streets of Tanzania's biggest city, Dharsalam, were deserted this week as residents heated government orders to remain indoors to avoid arrest. Assign the state's bloody crackdown may have deterred protesters. Marches have been planned across the East African nation to mark the sixty fourth anniversary of independence from the UK. The government, though canceled official celebrations in anticipation of the demonstrations, and you can follow these stories across Bloomberg, including the Next African Newsletter. Will put a link to that in the show notes. This program was produced by Adrian Bradley and Tiua Debaio. Don't forget to follow and review this show wherever you usually get your podcasts. But for now, I'm Jennifer Zabasaja. Thanks as always for listening