Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody? Welcome to move the sticks DJ here. It is that time of year. We're getting ready to head towards the scouting Combine in Indianapolis, and one of the traditions is prior to getting on a plane and heading out there, do a conference call with a lot of media members where just fielding a lot of questions about players, about teams, all sorts of draft conversation. It's something that we've done for a long time, and a few years back we realized, hey, won't we just dump that into the podcast. You guys can hear it because so many different topics are touched on during the call. So that's what we've got for you today. Is is some cut ups here from my conference call with the media ahead of the NFL Scouting Combine. Hope you enjoy it. It's chuck full a goodies. Trust me, I'm excited about this draft. It is. It's a starter's draft, is how I would phrase it. You know, going through and watching all these guys combine and talking to a bunch of people around the league. Okay, some positions maybe don't have that superstar that we have had in years past. But we do have a boatload of starters, particularly the defensive line, a bunch of really, really good players. So excited about it. Looking forward to seeing these guys in person and indy, and look forward to your questions.
Speaker 3: Great, thanks DJ. We will now begin the Q and a portion of today's call. Use the raised hand function to get in the queue to ask a question. We're going to start with Jim Wyatt of the Tennessee and Jim, you can ask your question.
Speaker 4: Now Tennessee Titans dot Com. Yeah, I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate you having me leading off with the number one pick too, Daniel, how you doing.
Speaker 6: Appreciate your time?
Speaker 2: You earned it, buddy, you earned you earned the first question here.
Speaker 5: So I noticed you've got Abdul Carter as your top prospect. I notice you've got the Titans taken him at number one in your initial mock.
Speaker 2: Is he good enough?
Speaker 5: Did you just stick there and pick or you look to trade and if and to kind of go along with that same question, how much interest? How much action do you think they'll get with the potential trade at one?
Speaker 2: Well, I haven't heard much buzz about action at this point in time. Usually the combine, you know, as you know, is when that could pick up a little bit and you'll start hearing some buzz. If somebody falls in love with the quarterback, that's where the trades happen, and that would be you know, that will be interesting because I look at them and to me, I think there's really a couple options. I think it's three players. I think it's Abdul Carter. I think it's Travis Hunter or cam Ward. I think you're deciding between those three players, and then the fourth option is the trade. But to me, if I'm Tennessee, I'm not going past three unless I get an enormous haul and I don't think. I don't think you're going to get that in this draft. So to me, I think that's what their decision is going to come down to. I think, you know, it depends on what you're looking for. A very similar grade on Abdul Carter and Travis Hunter. I have Abdul Carter a little bit higher than him, and it's such a premier position, and I think when you look at the pieces already on that defensive line and you go out and you get Abdul Carter. I think you've got a chance to have one of the best units in the league. So that's a good foundation to build off of. But they need to do their homework on cam Ord and if they feel confident and comfortable with him and they feel like he can be their guy going forward, I don't have I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever if they decided that was going to be the direction they went.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Daniel, Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Next question is from d Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Dj, you know, how does this group of fourteen George, I want to go fourteen, but Starks is the one that's interesting, you know, perhaps for the facts at fifteen, but maybe while Boker, Mical Williams and starts. How does this group look and project into the first round here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they got a boatload of dudes, so you know when I I'll just go through those top three guys and yeah, Jalen Walker, he's one of my favorite players to study. You know, he's got the versatility to play off the ball. On the ball, I think he's got a chance to be a special pass rusher. I don't know if we're going to see him do everything in Indianapolish. I know he'd been nursing some things, but I anticipate when you see him run. If he does decide to run, he can run in the four fours like he's got legit, legit explosive. First, he plays with a ton of energy. He's a tone setter. The thing I love about him is, you know, okay, I see he plays with energy and passion. He plays fast, he's physical. And then when you talk to the coaches at Georgia and they say, like, this guy is like rare off the charts in tangibles, you know, leadership. Uh, he took over a couple of games that the Texas game at Texas, you know that was that was a statement there. So I think he's, you know, he's a lock to go in the top ten. Michael Williams is gosh. I just wish we could have seen him healthy. You know, if he doesn't get hurt in that Clemson game and we see him at full strength, I think we're you know, we're talking about him as another you know, top ten lock who's got a lot of freaky qualities to him. Freaky traits to him. He can really get off the ball. He's got, you know, a lot of power and violence as a rusher. He can set the edge. It's just a production hasn't been great, but that's because the guy wasn't wasn't healthy all year long, and they still roll guys through there. So I think the the Trayvon Walker, you know, experience and seeing how he's continued to develop with the Jags, I think that's you know, when it's all said and done, I will be more surprised than not if he's if he's not all the way up there in the top ten. And then Starks is a is an intriguing one because you notice in when he was younger and kind of like popped on the scene, and man, he's he's such an easy mover, like a fluid athlete. He just didn't make as many plays this year. You know, he made the big pick, a big time athletic interception down the field in the Clemson game, and then after that just didn't make a ton of plays. But real reliable. He's an obviously really smooth athlete, takes really good angles, you know, gets guys on the ground. I like the fact that he's young. I think his best football is still ahead of him, and I like the fact that he has you know, safety nickel flex It can do a lot of different things. So to me, I think it'll be uh, you know, it'll be interesting to see how he works out and how he tests. But he's you know, he's right there to me, more so in the back half of the first half than the first half of the first round.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot. Next course, thanks Ryan, Ryan Dunn Levy of the New York Post.
Speaker 9: Hey, Daniel, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yep? I got you, man. Thanks for doing this.
Speaker 10: We need some franchise quarterbacks in New York Giants and Jets. Giants and Jets, you mentioned cam as a possibility for number one for the Titans, but not Shador, which makes me think you think there's a significant gap between them. And then you also have the Giants passing on Shador at three with all the buzz. I mean, Shador obviously thinks he's going to the Giants with his cleats and whatnot. What do you think in the top two quarterbacks, the separation and their matches for the Giants and Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I first watched the quarterbacks, I stacked him right next to each other, and they're totally different in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. The more that I've done, the more I've kind of created some separation, and that'll, you know, be reflected when the Top fifty comes out next week, the updated Top fifty. I like Shador. I think Shador is you know, when you look at the things he does really well, the accuracy, anticipation, toughness, like he'll you know, he just keeps getting up after taking a beating. But you know, some of the other things that Cam has he doesn't have. It's a little bit more twitch in his body. He's got a more live arm. I think he's more equipped to play in that division, in that in that stadium, in that environment that you're gonna get with weather. I think Schador makes more sense, just as you know, relying a little bit more as a touch thrower than a power thrower. I think he makes more sense. You know, when you look at the Saints make sense to me. The Raiders make sense to me, so more so about fit than anything else. When it comes to those guys, you know, with the you know, with the Giants not taking one in a mock draft, I always like to just run through different scenarios and you know what you're hearing, Okay, if this happens, then then where do we go from from here? The mock drafts, as you get through free agency, you know they're gonna it'll crystallize a little bit more. But there has been a lot of chatter in talking to guys around the league, you know, the Stafford stuff. I mean, I don't know if there's legs to it, but I know that it has got a lot of people in personnel departments and general managers intrigued in seeing what's going to transpire there with with him and the Rams. And the fact that that they didn't just come out and say he's not going anywhere has led people to believe that that's a possibility. And when I looked at the Giants and you look at head coach and general manager, there's there's some pressure there. You need to get this thing going, especially after the team and your division just won the Super Bowl. So I looked at that and I am sitting here thinking, man, you talk about turning around, you know, some excitement here in that market, and you trot out there Week one and you've got you know, Matthew Stafford throwing the ball to Malik Neighbors. You've got him, you know, looking at Travis Hunter getting some snaps on the offensive side of the ball. You've got who knows what else they can do with the with the money they have and free agency, and it is Cooper Cup.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: Part of that is that a package deal with him and Stafford. So that was my mind. That was kind of where I was going in my fantasy land as we got to that mock draft.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Nate Davis of USA Today.
Speaker 12: Nate, Hey, DJ, I wanted to just you're good at synopsizing guys from from certain schools. It seems like this year maybe we have more on the quality side from Michigan. Not the same quantity as last year, but just thought maybe if you could have some of those guys up for us.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, I'll rip through a couple of them.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: There's a it's a good group. Mason Graham. Gosh, he's so fun. I watched him on tape and I fell in love with him, and then I got a chance to go to their game against Oregon, and I you know, there's a bunch of personnel guys and GMS down on the field and we're walking down there and I see Mason Graham walk by, and of course he's next to Kenneth Grant's teammate, who looks like, you know, he's a cartoon character, like he's an Adonis, how big he is. And I'm looking at Mason Graham and body type, and I'm like, gosh, maybe I need to maybe i need to adjust my grade. I think maybe I'm just too high on this guy. And then I proceeded to watch the game and I was like, nope, nope, he's he's just really really good. So I hope people don't overthink it with him as we get to the spring and and kind of the further we get away from football. But he's got crazy elite leverage, balance and instincts his you know, you can see there's a wrestling background there. He's just never on the ground. He gets underneath guys. I just wrote down when I was looking at my notes, I had block destruction written down so many different times. He's just a real aggressive player who's got you know, instincts and and can dominate the game against the run. And I think has more to offer as a pass rusher Lovelin. You know, I think it's you know, I think some teams are going to have him as a top tight end. It's it's two different styles there with him and Tyler Warren. But you know, he's someone could really really run, can get in and out of breaks, fluid for a bigger guy. He can go get it with a huge catch radius. You know, he's he's tough and physical after the catch and in the run game he does enough. You know, he stays connected and shows want to So he's one of the top ten players in the draft from me. Will Johnson is is an interesting one because there's so much, you know, hype on him coming into the season and he's this big, athletic, rangey corner. He's got ball production. But I did not think he played his best this year. You know, I thought there were times where he wasn't super interested against the run, and you know, he got trucked a couple times against the run, so I just want to see little more physicality there, and then some guys got on top of him, so you know, I didn't get a chance to finish out the year healthy. So I think this will be a big spring for him to kind of recapture some of that momentum he had off of a much better season than twenty three. Kenneth Grannam mentioned just massive. He's a you know, he's a people mover and talking to the folks where he's been doing a lot of his training. You know, at three hundred and forty pounds, you should not be able to move around like that. So you're you're hoping and dreaming on this, you know, Dexter Lawrence type ascension for him once he gets to the NFL. Hasn't put it all together, but it's all in there. And then lastly, I'll give you one more and there's you know, a bunch more guys. But Josiah Stewart is just he's a bolt of lightning off the edge. He's undersize, but if you don't look at the size on your paper and just watch the tape, he doesn't play small at all. He can really generate power as a rusher, and he's he's someone who plays with just a maniacal effort and energy. One of my favorite players to study.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. Nate, hey, Daniel, in.
Speaker 13: Your latest mock draft, and you touched on the quarterback debate earlier with Ward versus Sanders, but to the Browns at number two. When you talk about fit, what specifically had you going Ward in that spot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, similar discussion. You know, having scouted that in that division for a couple different teams, we always wanted guys who were, you know, real rugged and strong. It's a physical division you're gonna play and wind and weather as you go throughout the season. Arm strength, Matt, there is a little bit more there. You know, it's it's you know, it's look, I'm not saying that shood Or can't play there. He could fit in the system for sure. And you know if they went in that direction, that wouldn't you know, totally blindside me or shock me. I just you know know from being in that division and talking to people inside that division, that's something that carries a little more weight than than maybe in other spots. So I just liked his ability. You know, if you look at Baker and I know obviously went sideways there at the end, but even though Baker wasn't a really big guy, I thought his arm played really really well there and you know there were some ups and some downs, but I didn't think that was that was an issue there at all, and I think there is some of that. You know with cam Ord. He's just got a real, real live arm. So that that's why I like that fit. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jonathan Alexander of the Houston Chronicle.
Speaker 9: D J, I'll preject you doing this.
Speaker 14: You know, the Sexans pick at number twenty five, obviously, and obviously they need guard defensive talk of wide receiver. Just considering the realistic expectations of what could be there, who would you consider be like a home run type of pick for them?
Speaker 2: Well, I's you mentioned the interior. The offensive line is someplace you can address. I think you can address that interior offensive line on, you know, later on in the draft. I think there is some depth along that interior. The two receivers that I just think were ready made to play there, and one of them is the obvious one is a Mecca a Buka because of his connection and history with CJ. Stroud, but can play inside, can play outside, just really really smart and instinctive and tough. I think he would make a lot of sense there. He's you know, there's there's two guys. When I look at the Houston Texans. It's a BUKA is for those exact same reasons that I mentioned, And then the exact same with Matthew Golden. You know, I have those guys right next to each other on my list, Matthew Golden. I think both these guys actually gonna run a lot faster than people think, but a lot of the same attributes. I've become kind of obsessed with receivers, with the thought and keeping an eye out for guys who are grounded through the catch, guys who really trust their hands and run through the ball. I just put more importance on that. You just see the really great receivers in the NFL have that trait, that quality, that confidence in their hands and allows them to do so much after the catch as well. So both those guys are grounded through the catch. Tough, smart, instinctive players that I think would be home run fits there with CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Brian Whacker of the Baltimore Sun.
Speaker 6: Hey, Daniel, thanks for doing this. Just stay a couple of quick questions. The Ravens.
Speaker 15: They've got eleven picks in the draft.
Speaker 6: You know, how do you sort of grade the overall quality of it? Depth, wise.
Speaker 15: And then secondly, is this a draft that they don't trade up very often? But you know, is it a draft where you could see maybe trading up in the first round to take maybe an edge rusher like a jail And Walk or Mike Green or somebody who can have that kind of immediate impact edge rusher wise, a position they've kind of struggled with in those in those middle rounds. Finding those guys.
Speaker 2: Well, I one of the things you look at with the Ravens is because they amass all these picks and because they've played the comp game, you know better than anybody else in the NFL, is you have options. So if you absolutely fall in love with one of those edge rushers, yeah, they have the ammunition to do it. I just don't necessarily think you have to. I think there's a lot of depth along the defensive front, not just edge rushers, but detackles. If they want to be patient, I think one comes to them. You know, Shamar Stewart is someone that I paired up with them who's just got a ton of twitch and a ton of ability out of Texas A and M. I think his best football is ahead of him. Even someone like Donovan Isaku from Boston College kind of fits what they like in rushers. He's real long, he's firm, he's got some power, and he's got a lot of production. So and we can go on in the day too, like they're gonna there's gonna be edge rushers there. The one thing you know, my ears perked up thinking about them moving up was with your question, was maybe an offensive tackle depending on what happens with Ronnie Stanley. You know, if Ronnie Stanley were to depart in free agency and you know, say it's a Simmons or someone like that that they that they really like and have a high grade on. It's there's not a lot of depth of starting tackle caliber players in this draft, so that would be more in line with my thinking there. Okay, thank you, yep.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Martin Frank of the Delaware News Journal.
Speaker 16: Hey, Daniel, appreciate you doing this as always well. Problem when you're looking at the Eagles at number thirty two as far as their pick is concerned, you know, it seems like they have like quite a few needs and everything, but is there also a chance they could trade out of that of that pick and what do you think the possibilities would be for that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't rule anything out with Howie you know, and you know, go in either direction. But there they're rosters in such great shape and we'll see what happens with free agency. You got some some key guys there, but they have so much roster depth, and they're you know, traditionally a big line of scrimmage team in the draft, and this is a draft especially as I mentioned on the defense side, that's there's depth and quality there, so they could if somebody wants to jump up, I can easily see them sliding back and trying to get some more shots at it here on day two. I think there's a lot of value in Day two in this year's draft class, So that would be that would be more likely to me than moving north. I think would be moving south. But again, don't rule anything out with them, and one in doubt, just sit there and wait for some uber talented, you know, Georgia Alabama player to kind of fall down into their lap. Thank you, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL scouting Combine conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Bob mcmannumn of the Arizona Republic.
Speaker 7: Hey Daniel, thank you for doing this. Question is about the Cardinals obviously here I know sixteen where you've got a lot of guys kind of in that area. But I'm more curious about maybe three guys you really like that could be available at forty seven, maybe whether their defense or not. But I could see them doubling down on two defensive players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty seven. I mean I still think again with the edg rusherscifically, which is a big need for that for that football team. As you know, just third down pressure rate two areas indicate you know they've got some work to do there. So if you're looking in that range you're talking about, you know, Jack Sawyer from Ohio State comes into the mix there, who's kind of a real physical, rugged edgresher who can also really set the edge. Land and Jackson from Arkansas had a monster Senior Bowl and he's you know, six ' five and changed two hundred and seventy three pounds. He can he can really rush with that long arm, physical, he can close, he can run, he plays with the effort. Those are a couple guys, and I would say Prince Uman Milayan, I'm gonna get that right when we get to the combine, so forgive me, but at an old mess. He is another one who popped at the Senior Bowl. Real long, bendi athletic, he can really cover ground, so he's again there's no shortage of edge rushers, especially in that that's kind of almost a sweet spot where I like that lump of players.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Stu Jackson of the Rams dot Com.
Speaker 17: Hey, DJ, just looking at the Rams at twenty six, do you see sticking and picking as the best option for them or in order to address their needs? Would trading back and trying to accumulate more shots in the top one hundred and make more sense based on what you think their needs.
Speaker 2: Well, Less has done such a good job, you know, and that and that range, and so getting out of there and collecting extra picks, I'm all for that, especially when you kind of look at the the direction that they could be looking, you know, the tackle. I wouldn't feel as confident of what you're going to get if you trade back. But there's still a need for for corners receivers. They could they could pluck a tight end. I mean, there's that's good position groups there on day two, So you know, if they were to slide back a little bit and collect some more resources there. I've got a lot of respect and appreciation for their ability to scout and find guys there, so that would that would definitely make sense to me.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Nix Sus of the Tennessee and.
Speaker 18: Hey, Daniel, you mentioned at the top that you wouldn't necessarily see the Titans moving past three, or you wouldn't advocate for them moving past three. I'm just curious what your opinion would be on what a reasonable hall would be for moving if you're only moving one or two picks back.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I'd have to pull up the comps on it. I don't have it in front of me right now. But it does vary in terms of, you know, what what the overall feel is on the class and how how much they want to move out. I mean, I'm sure they'll have opportunities to slide back a little bit if they, you know, if they want to. I just don't know if this is going to be the traditional hall that you've seen for some of these other years where you had, you know, like the and I know obviously Caleb Williams was a little further to travel there, But in previous years, I just think there's been a higher opinion overall in the quarterback class, which drives price. So to move back to three, I mean you're getting you know, you're getting an extra you know, getting next year's one. I guess you start there, But in terms of how much on top of that, I don't know that you get traditional costs and prices This year got thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Eric Dalala of Denver Broncos dot Com.
Speaker 4: ADJ. Sean Payton's talked about wanting to find this joker player, whether it's a tight end in the receiving game or running back that has that potential out of the backfield. I know you had Loveland in the first round, but any day two guys that you think could kind of fit that mold if they decide to go somewhere else in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some fun ones, and I you know, it got a lot of people I like myself. I think looking around, going, okay, who would you classify in that department as mismatch type players? So if I'm going to go running backs and they are picking at fifty one and eighty five, so if I'm just looking at some running backs that I think are mismatch type players. Jayden Blue in the past game out of Texas, Like he's a legit four three guy, and they use him on a bunch of different ways in the past game, you know, angle routes, he can snap guys off, he can run up the seam, even just getting him the ball on the flat. With his speed, He's just he's a weapon. So that one to me, I don't think you'd have to take him in the second I think you could, you know, get him in the third round. But that was one when I was thinking about, you know, how they would use guys. That was one that definitely popped into my head from the running back position.
Speaker 19: R J.
Speaker 2: Harvey is another one at a Central Florida who's you know compact. He's you know five, he's under five eighties, two hundred and seven pounds. But when I watched him, I was like, Okay, who does he remind me of? This guy's like a mix of Devonte Freeman and Tarik Cohen, Like he's he's that type of just fast, load of the ground, shifty is just going to be a nightmare, and they use him on wheel routes, they get him the ball in the pass game as well, So I thought him, you know, those are kind of outside the second round, some fun mismatch tight players. And then from the tight end standpoint, I think Fannin is a good one from Bowling Green who's a little bit undersized, just over six three, he's just under two hundred and forty pounds, but he's he's just got a real knack for it, a real feel for it, creating separation. He kind of reminds me it's sec religious to say it because he's now going into the Hall of Fame, but he's like a Minnie Antonio Gates just with his movements, just how he kind of moves around. It's kind of a unique movement style that he has. But your question like, how fast is this guy? And then you watch Penn State and you watch Texas A and M and he's just kind of running away from everybody and creating a bunch of big plays. So I think you'd have to take him in the second round. I don't think he would be there in the third round, but he's he's definitely a fun mismatch guy.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Rus Franklin of NJ dot Com.
Speaker 20: Hey Daniel, thanks for doing this again. The Eagles have Zach Bond, Makai Becton, Josh Swat heading the free agency, and if they can't sign any of those guys, who do you think will be a good spot around at thirty two or even in the top of the second round that could either I vic Fangio's scheme or could be quote unquote stubtlan guy if perspected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's let's go to the offensive line first of all. So if I'm looking at the interior offensive line, you know, there's some interest to me that the no brainer would be greats able if he was there from North Dakota State because he has the versatility, and I think that's one of the underrated aspects of what the Eagles have done. But talks about how big they are and in physical and all that stuff, But look at the number of guys on that offensive line that have cross trained at different positions. You mentioned Beck then coming in from a tackle to a guard. Landon Dickerson can play any of those spots inside. Jurgens played guard and play center lane if you needed him to, I think kick over to the left in a heartbeat. But Zabel to me out of North Dakota State, he's got legit five position flex. I think he's he's better off kicking inside. If Beck then were to leave, I think he's plug and play year one at the guard spot. So that one I like a lot Miles Frasier outside that when you get into day two from LSU, he's got size over six five, he's three hundred and twenty four pounds. I just think he knows how to play. He's he's played some outside as well, but he's definitely going to be a guard. But he's got some power, some torque, and some turn to him, So that one would be that one would definitely be a match there. And then when you look at linebackers, it's not a great off the ball linebacker year if and how he's you know, he's not going to take a linebacker in the first round. But if you know, somehow Johan Campbell were to get there, I can't imagine he would, but that is a you know, he's a rangey, versatile athletic dude who can play off the ball, you can play on the ball. He can run like crazy. He's got a bunch of upside as a rusher too, So that would be one there, and then you know, some of the linebackers as you get beyond that. I like Poop Paul from Ole Miss, you know, maybe third round, Cody Simon, same out of Ohio State, Jeffrey Bossa Oregon, Barrett Carter Clemson like that. That group of guys to me is kind of in that third round range. Thank you, yep.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Joe Rudder of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Hi, Daniel, I know in your two marks you've had the Steelers taking offense in the first round if they weren't address the defensive line, which is getting older. What kind of player at twenty one you could potentially see being there the Fitzer style?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're looking at pick twenty one for the Steelers, I mean, gosh, Michael Williams would be a lot of fun, just because the physicality, require set in the edge, all that stuff. He checks that box and I think he's got so much upside as a rusher. I don't anticipate he'll be there at that point in time. Him and Mike Green are probably both gone, but either one of those picks would be you know, to me, home runs. Shamar Stewart is raw as can be, as we as we talked about a little bit earlier. But man, there's a lot to work with, and I just I can't imagine with someone with his physical gifts that he has getting a chance to learn from TJ. Golly. That would be fun if he were to get where he's capable of getting talent wise. You know, there's there's a lot in his body. So they'll they'll have options if they if they want to go with an edge rusher, they're going to have someone there that's worthy of that pick. They're not going to have to reach if that's truly the position that they wish to address.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Andrew Kramer of Minnesota Star Tribune.
Speaker 22: Hey, DJ, thanks for doing this. I want to ask you about the Vikings of twenty four. You've got them taken a run back. Why do you think the running back run isn't going to start until the twenties this time around? And then if they don't go running back, what other kind of positions do you consider for them at that spot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's hard to figure out when the run is going to go, and just to be totally honest everybody. I kind of wanted to have some fun with that too, with Ashton gent in a scenario where he can kind of fall down a little bit. Ashton Genty is my third player in the draft, so I am a huge believer in his I think he is extremely high floor to go along with an extremely high ceiling. Who's a I think he's a special, special player. That the interesting part is, and just a lot of this comes from talking to people around the league, is because of the depth of the class, and it's really it's really good that, man, if you have multiple needs, maybe you could see a scenario where teams are gonna punt on running backs early and then just know that I still got some options there on Day two. And that's with the full appreciation that there is there is more love for running backs around the league after this last season with all those free agents. You know, all the leading rushers in the league were all free agents that showed their value. And then we've seen with some of these young backs in the league what they've done, led by Jamir Gibbs. But that's that's why I went running back with the Minnesota Vikings, because I just think they saw they saw you know, inside their division, what what you had with you know what, Jamir Gibbs and Man, that would be an explosive, explosive player to add to their mix. So if Minnesota didn't go in that direction, and I look at some of their other needs, interior, offensive line would be one, corner would be another. If you just look at a corner position. If we're looking at guys that could potentially be fits and options there, I think Azariah Thomas from Florida State would be in the mix. And I think you're going to start hearing a lot more about Maxwell Harriston after the combine from Kentucky. He's a really good player. I think he's got a chance to go in the first round.
Speaker 3: Next questioniness from Dave Burkett of the Detroit Free Press.
Speaker 23: Dave, Hey, DJ, I appreciate your time on these as always a little two part question for you. I guess there's a lot of teams sort of at the back around one that have been rumored to be, you know, maybe potential suitors for Miles Garrett or some of those other pass rushers if they come out deep drafted defensive line obviously, So can you walk me through the pluses and minuses of making a deal, and then obviously for a team like the Lions, if they didn't, if they decided to use their picks on defensive line help, who are some guys that you could see fitting them at twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was a team that made the most sense for me with Miles Garrett was Detroit just because a if they ever are comfortable with moving them, which it sounds like at this point they are not, but if they are comfortable to me, you get them outside the conference and he goes to Detroit. Detroit has you know, the roster that's ready to win right now, ready to win a championship, and that could be a finishing piece. So you know, I would be I'd be willing to be pretty aggressive. I think if I were Brad Holmes on that front, knowing that that could that could bring a parade to my city, I would be aggressive and do whatever I had to do and try and make something like that happen. So I would just have to see if it, you know, if it's a legit possibility. Everything talking to people, you know, as of later around the league, the expectation is now he's not you know, they're not going to move him. He's not going to go anywhere, so we'll see what happens. If you're looking at edge rushers for where they're picking at pick number twenty eight, you know, you start getting into you know, James Pierce, he could you know, he's gonna be interesting one. He could go in the top fifteen, he could go bottom of one, he could go top of two. Like, there's a wide range on him. He's a lean, skinny rusher, but he has got a ton of juice and explosiveness. He really knows how to rush. His first three steps are pretty dynamics. So that would be one we'll see in the mix there. Again, I've mentioned some of these names before, but Shamar Stewart will see what happens with him. That would be another one I think could could factor in for them if they're looking for edge rushers. But you can get them all throughout the draft. You can find them, you know, especially day two. There's a lot of other good options there for rushers.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is for Matthew Parus of the New Orleans Time Pecune.
Speaker 24: Hey, Daniel, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: Just curious.
Speaker 24: You've talked a lot about the depth with the defensive line. But could you talk about the the overall the quality like the quality of the high end edge rushers and specifically for the Saints at number nine, just some keew options for them there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, while Abdul Carter's gone, Jalen Carter, if he's there, I would I would run the card up if if you had an opportunity to get him. I just think he makes all the sense in the world for him and he's just so dynamic and not only just with the talent that he brings. I think in year one with Kellen Moore, I think having someone like that who's gonna he's gonna take your message and spread it around. Uh, he's that type of dude. So that one me would be a home run. And then you know, I think Michael Williams is the next one that would be, you know, a worthy candidate for where that where that slot is. And I think he's another one. Maybe a little patient with him, but it's all in there and the upside is tremendous. So I think all those guys are are Both those guys would be you know, legit options and uh would provide some serious juice to a pass rush. So that's that's going to be curious to me is what direction they go position wise, because I just think Kellen Moore, coming off of the year he had and seeing the value in the trenches and you know what they had in Philadelphia, I'd just be surprised if they went anywhere outside O line D line.
Speaker 24: Did you mean Walker instead of Carter?
Speaker 2: By the way, Oh, yeah, yeah, sorry, Jalen Walker. Sorry yeah, I got so many games Jalen Walker, Jalen Carter. I've got there's fifty five Georgia, Jalen's and Carters. I feel like.
Speaker 3: My next question is from Janat of the Athletic.
Speaker 25: Hi, Daniel, thanks for doing this. I'm Jana with the Athletic. I had a little bit of a broader question for you for leading up to the combine. You know, last year we saw some of those elite prospects sitting out of drills. Do you see that trend continuing? And how has the way teams view and analyze the combine changed throughout the years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I appreciate that. That's a good question. I think you're going to continue to see it. I think especially with guys who have a long track record that have you know, I've played well. I've been viewed as kind of top ten picks for an extended period of time, and they have all the tape that's out there, and teams have the GPS information. So that's the case that they'll present as to why they're not going to, you know, to be active at the combine. So I think that's something that we'll continue to see with the top tier players. I don't think it's going to spread all the way through. I don't. I think it's an opportunity for a lot of these guys to compete, and a lot of these guys still really want to do that. And if you're not a lock in terms of your positioning, there's still is a belief you can go out there and help yourself. So I still think there's there's a there's value in it. I think certain positions may be more value than others. I've said this over the years, but I've always felt like the corners have the most opportunity to help themselves at the combine. You know, they they run well, they move well, that that can answer a lot of questions and can can help guys maybe more so than any other position. So yeah, I do think you'll see it. I know, Uh, there's a there's a growing trend there of not doing some of the psychological testing in those things. Yeah, I don't. I don't think that's going to go back to where it was. I think you'll see more and more people that are going to probably opt out of that in the future. And uh, you know it's there's enough information and resources out there for teams to be able to figure this thing out without all that, So I don't think that's that big a deal.
Speaker 26: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Next question is from John Glennon of the Nashville Post.
Speaker 27: Hey, Daniel, thanks for your time touching back on the on the Titans there at number one again, well kind of a I guess a devil's advocate approach. I know you've got Abdul Carter going there, but if you're the Titans, a quarterback needy team, why not take a quarterback? You know, if you think he is better than what you have and you can win with him, and you don't know when you're next time, you know, thinking at number one or or close to it will be, can't you make a good case for taking a quarterback there?
Speaker 2: I think that's a great question and something I've been thinking a lot about and did some homework on it because I knew this would probably come up. But I still believe you can make a case Okay, he's better than what we have, But is that the Is that the marker? Because then I would say, well, if you're going to be right back, you know, two or three years from now, saying this isn't good enough, we need better, especially when you're in the AFC where we've got all these cyborg quarterbacks you have to compete with. If you don't, you don't want to draft somebody you're gonna have to replace within a couple of years just because he was a little bit better than the guy you had currently on your roster. And the pushback I get when I've said that is, yeah, you never know what you're going to be up there again. And so we looked it up, and you know, okay, the Bears were up there and they had a quarterback that was better than what they had, and they passed on it, and they turned around and got Caleb Williams the next year. There's teams that could have taken will Levis, the Commanders, the Patriots, the Vikings. They all passed. The Commanders come back and get Daniels, the Patriots come back get May, the Vikings come back get McCarthy. The Texans passed on Kenny Pickett twice. They got C. J. Stroud the next year. The Jags passed on Jordan Love. They got Trevor Lawrence the next year. The Bills passed on Mahomes. Now, obviously that's one that's worked out for both teams, maybe more so initially here from Kansas City, but they got Josh Allen the next year. So I do think there is some president there that you know that you can't just say he's five percent better than what we have, So we have to take that position. That's just my thoughts on it. And you know that's why you have to decide. Do you think do you envision with the quarterback you take at number one that he's going to be able to help your team compete against Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, Like you need to have those honest conversations in the draft room. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine Conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Dan Whider of the Chicago Tribune and DJ. It's obviously offensive line season here in Chicago.
Speaker 28: So I wanted to ask you first about Calvin Banks, specifically at the tackle position, what you see in him, and then I would sable. I know you like his versutil but what are some of the things on his tape and his seniable performance that really jumped out at you?
Speaker 2: Sure? With Banks, just I love the fact that he's just He's three hundred and twenty pounds, He's thick, he's sturdy, he can bend, He's you know, athletic enough to really sink and bend, keeps his hands in tight. He plays with patients, you know. The stuff that he gets in trouble with is sometimes he sets a little bit deep and then he ends up getting in some trouble that way when he kind of creates more runways. So I think if he could be a little more, a little more firm and not getting quite as much depth in his set, that he'll he'll be able to solve that problem. And then in the run game, I just want to see him show a little bit more strain and finish, just a little bit more nasty to him in the run game. But he's a he's a good athlete. He's he's someone that I think can play. I think even though he's not the tallest scandalld, I still think he could hold up and play tackle no problem. And I think he could. I think he could be hell on wheels guard so that banks and then when you you look at Gray's abel man the week of practice, there were not many bad reps at all during the week of practice for him. In the game, he got on his edges a little bit and as he's kind of moving around playing all these different positions. But he's someone again, he's got really good balance, he's always under control, he's never on the ground. He's got strong hands, he's really aware, you know, in terms of seeing things and and picking things up. He's he's uh, he's just a he's a guy who's played a lot of football, who's polished and answered any of the smaller school so to speak questions at the Senior Bowl, even though North Dakota State has been, you know, a school that's pumped out a lot alignments. So I'm I'm a huge fan of his and I think he's he's definitely in the mix to go in the first round.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Ben Standing of the Athletic.
Speaker 29: Hey, Daniel, thanks for doing this for a team like Washington. They've got needs on both lines. But of course there's this push to get Jade Daniels more weapons. It always feels like when you have a quarterback like that, he can raise the level of receivers more than you have to like get him star receivers. If that If that kind of makes sense, So how do you kind of weigh that option, Like you have this quarterback, but you also need to get to build the line to help them get to the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it's arguments you can make on both sides of that, but I do I do agree though that quarterbacks elevate the play of others. And if you have you want to start, let's get him protected and let's keep him healthy and then let's, you know, let's let's be really good at scouting and evaluating players that we can find without premium resources, and let's let's, uh, let's surround them with some of those guys as well. I think there's once that that foundation and the offensive line is is built and steady, then I think you can now you can go shopping for some of the other things. Kind of always like use the analogy of man, you got to go shop at the hardware store before you go to the toy store. So I would I would continue to try and address that offensive line, not only so you know, we can run the ball better and we can do different things, but just to keep him upright and healthy. And I think you can. You know, Adam Peters is really good. You know, he's he's one of the best evaluators in the NFL, and he's been around a lot of good receivers throughout his career, especially the group that they had up there in San Francisco. So I'm confident he'll be able to find receivers without necessarily using the premium resources.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Cassidy Hill of Panthers dot Com.
Speaker 30: Hey, DJ, thanks for doing this. You had in your mock draft, you know the Walker coming here, but also kind of mentioned the idea of a trade back. I'm just wondering, when you're looking at a team.
Speaker 31: Like the Panthers that have so many needs across defense, is this a class that is deep enough to pass on a guy like Walker just to get more pieces.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's a good discussion, and it's a good debate in the room. I mean, I don't think you want to do it just to get a fourth round pick, but I think if you can, you know, get some some quality resources, get another pick on day two. He's a great player, and I wouldn't have any criticism if they decide we're just going to stick and pick him and and go forward. But when you have this many holes, and this is a draft that does have a lot of talent and depth, you know, on the on the defensive front, you know, I'd be interested in that option. I'm not saying, you know that's the right or the wrong way to go. I just think, man, there's so many holes there, and you could fill a bunch of them if you could slide back a little bit. So, you know, I think that's that's a good debate and a good discussion. I could I could spend ten minutes and argue it each way, so they just have to see what they get. I definitely think you'd want to get a premium. I don't think you just do that just to go back and get an extra pick when I get.
Speaker 32: Called on which you happened in any second now or not, Let's see.
Speaker 3: Next question is from David Ferones of the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel.
Speaker 33: Nope, Hi, DJ, thanks thanks for doing this. I saw you went Tyler Booker to the Dolphins at thirteen in your latest mock beyond the obvious needed guard for Miami. Why him? And how many different paths could you see the Dolphins going with that pick, considering Chris Greer likes to go for his best player available and not necessarily by need early in a draft where they do have ten picks to address needs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think he's a perfect marriage of need and fit and value. So you know, Booker, to me is one of the more consistent players that I've watched in this class. He's big, he's powerful, He's someone that when you talk to the folks at Alabama, they just rave about him. In terms of the work ethic, the leadership of someone that told me he was like the Will Anderson of their offense. In terms of the leadership, someone had been around there for a while. So I think all those things considered, I think you have somebody who's really really firm and pass pro with Tua. I think the interior that offensive line being firm is very important. So That's one that I just thought was a you know, just a home run pick for them in terms of all those factors coming together. That's why that one made a lot of sense to me. You know, defensive tackle could be an area they could go as well. And there's you know, there's no shortage of defensive tackles that are intriguing in this draft. I mentioned them a little bit earlier, you know, with Kenneth Grant, that would be that would be a fun one to throw into their mix as well, just as someone who is already dominant against the run, but somebody I think's got a lot of upside as a rusher and someone who, you know, if they can stay healthy on the edges, someone who benefit those guys just because he's gonna he's gonna take away the escape patch. Just his ability to push the pocket even as he's growing and developing and evolving as a rusher, I know he can do that. He can put his hands in chest and walk you back and take away the escape route as those dreshers get home. So that'd be another one I think that would would make a lot of sense there.
Speaker 34: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Tim Bilick of Cleveland dot Com.
Speaker 35: Daniel, thanks again for doing this. It's kind of a quick two part when it comes to the quarterbacks. Obviously this isn't as strong a QB class as twenty twenty four, likely not to get more than two or maybe three qbs in there. I guess Part one is how would cam Warden should Ur Sanders fit if you stack them compared to last year's guys as far as the top six?
Speaker 2: And then if you're a team like the Browns a number two, how much.
Speaker 35: Does the idea of taking the idea of seiling variants like cam over the higher ceiling shoulder with a lower higher floor. How much do you think that should weigh into a decision if you're a team like the Titans or the Browns of the Giants and say you have a choice between both guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's the age old debate, right you know, do you want you want safe and floor or do you want you know, kind of exciting and upside. I always feel like again for the same reasons I've mentioned referenced earlier, it's just that the high level of quarterback play, particularly in the AFC right now, I just man, it's hard to it's hard to you know, go with the floor instead of the ceiling there and know, hey, if we go with the ceiling, and you know, we can hopefully have enough a rope to come around and try and go get another one at some point in time. I mean, nothing's guaranteed, but that's my I always tend to be a little bit more. Let's chase the upside a little bit when we're up there. So that's the direction I would go. When you look at this group compared to last year. I just pull up my list from last year. I had him. I had cam Ward with the same grade as bow Nicks, so that would put him behind those top four for me, so he'd be, you know, kind of in that fifth fifth range. And Michael Pennix. I had just slightly a head of Shador, So Shador would be behind those guys, behind Caleb Drake, Jaden McCarthy, Nix, Pennix. Then I would have shaudor right behind that group. Thanks a bunch.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Ryan Mink of Baltimore Ravens dot com.
Speaker 34: Yeah, thanks for doing this, DJ.
Speaker 36: Just curious, how do you see the cornerbacks and safety classes. I know last year had a ton of depth at corner especially a lot of guys went high. How do you see that at the front end of that group, and then the depth there, can the Ravens find a plug and play starter if they don't bring Brandon Stevens back. And then similarly at safety, you know the Ravens are kind of looking for a potential starter there or at least the third safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a little deeper at corner than safety this year. And if we're you know, looking at the Ravens, if we look where they're picking on day two, like fifty nine, ninety one, fifty nine, I look at somebody like Trey Amos from Old miss That would be someone I think would be a really interesting fit for them. Perish from from Kansas State, who you know, I think could play inside, can play outside. Those are some intriguing players. Quincy Riley from Louisville would be in that like third round Range is a good one who who kind of plays with a little bit of that edge that they like there in Baltimore. So those are some of the corners when you look at the safety group, second round safeties that I know at late first round, by the way, South Carolina's Nick Amblin Warrey. If he was there, I would I would turn the card in. I think he'd be a fun player for them to play with. Just he's big, he's physical, plays more near the line of scrimmage. He's he makes a lot of plays buzzing underneath the ball, and he's a physical, firm tackler, and you know, he's an aggressive, aggressive dude. I would be excited about that at the end of the first round and then when you start getting into the second, third round at the safety position, and I really like Jalen Reid from Penn State who's two hundred and twelve pounds and can run it. Just plays plays really really well timing and versus a blitzer, he can play the ball. Third round wise Ransom from Ohio State, Makubum from Texas, Billy Bowman from Oklahoma. So those are some of the names of those guys. But I would say in terms of the depth of it, I feel I feel like you're getting a little bit longer group there at the corner group.
Speaker 34: Thanks DJ.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Bill Huber of on SidJ.
Speaker 2: How you doing doing great?
Speaker 7: Good Air.
Speaker 37: I appreciate your time on this. You probably heard Josh Jacobs at the Super Bowl. Talking about the Packers need a number one receiver, I'm not sure, not sure that guys available and free agency, they don't pick receivers in the first and you kind of hit on those guys anyway. But Green Bay has had a sweet spot in the second round at receiver of kind of who do you like there, and whether it's earlier or late, who do you like is a kind of a big play guy with some John Gaska, but a guy who can actually play with some big playability.
Speaker 2: Sure, I think somebody's mic is opened, by the way. So when we when we look at the green Bay Packers, you know, first of all, with where they're picking, pull their number up here, they are picking fifty four. So at fifty four, you're looking for a big play wide receiver. You know, Trey Harris is a good all around receiver out of Old Miss. I think that's about the range where you're going to see this clump here with Trey Harris from Old Miss, Jaden Higgins from Iowa State, Jack Besh from TCU. All those guys are big. Trey Harris is almost six to two, Higgins is almost six ' four, Jack Beck's you know, six to one and a quarter two hundred and fourteen pounds. Those guys are all kind of in that in that range of the draft. Tory Horton is another one from Colorado of state who's going to be around that range. All those guys are big, All those guys can make plays down the field. All those guys are going to work out well in the red zone. They're going to be point producers. So that's a good clump there of wide outs that I think would make some sense if they wanted to go with a little more of the compact explosive player in that mix, which I think they they already possess. But to me, you look at at Jalen Ole from from Iowa State, who's going to put on a show with the combine he's he is really really explosive, and he can play inside. I think even as an undersized player, he could play outside. And then Jalen Royals from Utah State, who's who's got, you know, a real compact two and ten pounds actually kind of looks like Randall Cobb to kind of go back in the old school there. But there's there's a there's a good clump of receivers there in that second round range. And as you mentioned, they've done a great job of identifying those guys.
Speaker 37: Thanks appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from James Crapa of The Oregon.
Speaker 38: J What in your perspective on three of Oregon's guys starting with Connerly and Harmon and Birch? And I know you've mocked Connorley into the first, but where Harmon and Birch fall in your projection so far?
Speaker 2: Sure, I actually have Harmon even over him on my list personally, but he's Harmon's just really disruptive. He's got quick hands. He just lives under the side of the line of scrimmage. He's really instinctive, he's aware, he knows where blocks are coming from, and he gets he gets up the field. So he's he's a fun, fun player. I want to see him use power a little bit more. He flashes it, it's all in there. But I'd love to see him play into his power a little bit more. But I think he's bottom one, top of two type. Pick Connery. He's just you know, he's got that you know, sturdy frame, long arms, he's real patient, he's got quick feet. The issue with him is just going to be he's not a great bender, and that's how you can kind of get caught like he did. And the clip that got sent around from Mike Green at the Senior Bowl, so that's gonna be something he's gonna have to continue to work through. It's just it's just getting a little bit lower, bending a little bit better. And then similarly to Banks, as I was talking about earlier, just a little more strain and finish in the run game. But you know, the greade I gave him puts him kind of bottom one, top of two in that range. And then Birch was the other one who's an interesting player to watch just because he's so big, but he's kind of more of a finesse player than a real physical player. No real violent guy, but he's nifty, he's got you know, plays with that long arm move. He's got a real steady bull rush, not real you know, dynamic, twitchy, explosive, but he can hold up with his length at the point of attack, and he does play really hard to close and chase plays from the backside. I thought he was more kind of you know, bottom two to middle three. That's where I had him on my list.
Speaker 3: Thank next question is from Jerry McDonald of the San Jose Mercury News.
Speaker 39: Okay, Daniel, to borrow you from your analogy, the forty nine ers have accumulated a lot of toys over the year, and they may need a visit to the hardware store in terms of in terms of offensive defensive lines. I'm curious what you're what you're thinking they might do at eleven and who's available to them in those areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where they're picking at eleven, they're gonna be able to get a really good player. And I'm curious. The one thing, you know, we talked about him as one of the top players in draft with Mason Graham. You know, I'll be curious to see how he goes through the spring. As I mentioned, I think his tape is so good, but I'm not sure he's gonna, you know, totally ace the spring part of it. If you're looking for someone I think would just be a home run pick for him. What's the dream scenario to me? It would be Mason Graham where to fall down to him, where they could, you know, scoop him up and pick him up. But where they're picking, We've talked about Walker from Georgia. That's probably a good chance that he's gone at that point in time. Some you know, Williams is the other one. You know, it's kind of that same clump of players, that same group of players. The player who's a great scheme fit for them, which I think would be more of a trade back than necessarily take him right there at eleven, would be, you know, Walter Nolan, who's you know, they with their kind of jet front and they like to play up the field, Chris Caserk. They want to really really get off the ball and penetrate and go, and he's really really twitched up. So Walter Nolan to me, would be someone if you maybe if you slid down a little bit just to get a little bit more value, that would be a defensive tackle. But I think would be a really fun fit for that group.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Rayner Saban of the Detroit Free Press.
Speaker 40: All right, Daniel, I just wanted to check in with you regarding the Lions and their their history under Brad Holmes and what you think the common thread is that kind of ties their draft picks and in light of that, what kind of players in the range that they're picking at, you know, twenty nine is going to be the type of player that they'll be looking for in that range specifically.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they've he's been really intentional about how they've built their team. They've just found. First of all, they started with, you know, building it through the foundation with the offense and defensive line and finding guys with excellent play temperament, guys that are they are finishers, that play with effort and are physical. I think that was kind of the first part of the build, and then after that they went hunting for as many dynamic players as they can find. And what Jamir Gibs, Jameson Williams, the you know, the juice that they brought to that offense. You know, even Laporta you know, plays really really fast as a tight end. It just feels like they've combined the physical and the fast really really well. And I think the way that they built it out was really really, really really smart. So I think now with where they are, I think it's you know that they've got some of these young skill guys at these core positions, these core skill positions, and you've got Zeitler as a free agent. I think you could look at them, you know, kind of going back and kind of going the full circle here, start big, go fast. I think you can come back around and then go back to the line of scrimmage again if they can't get Zeitler signed. I've mentioned Zabel for them as as someone I think is plug and play. Donovan Jackson from Ohio State is another one who I think is plug and play. So those are those are kind of more you know, meat and potatoes guys, but they're in really good. They're really good. Thank you.
Speaker 3: As a reminder, make sure your line is muted until you're called on. Next question is from Aaron Wilson of kp RC in Houston. Okay, we're gonna move on to Andrew Mason of one oh four point three in Denver.
Speaker 41: Hey, DJ, I want to ask you about mocking Colston Lovelin to the Broncos at twenty, Like, what do you like about him as a potential fit and also kind of a follow on that pick you talked about how special Ashton Geny was and if he's there at twenty, do you see the Broncos passing on him even with his skill set.
Speaker 2: Well, push comes to shove. Yeah, first of all, I think I would just be shocked if Genty did get there. I was kind of playing around with some different scenario in that last mock draft. His tape is so good, the character's so good, all that stuff. Even if teams are going to be patient on the running backs, I think once we get through it and get to the end, I think, you know, Gentill, he'll be off the board. That would be an interesting conversation with those guys there. Genti's of my third overall player. Loveland's my seventh overall player. So I think they both be you know, home run picks. You know, I think you go Genty over Loveland just based off the off that for me, and that's a situation. But Loveland, when I think about jokers and chess pieces and mismatch players, he'd be a fun He'd be a fun one in that offense. And to grow. I like the idea of having a young quarterback and bow Nicks having a chance to grow and play with the same tight end for a long period of time. And you know, I think there's as we've seen with Mahomes and Kelsey. That's a that's a chemistry thing with those two positions connected. So I would love to see them get a premium tight end like that and let those guys grow together. Because Lovelan is he's excellent, and again he's one of the top ten players in the draft for me.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jeff Bedoton of Forbes.
Speaker 4: Daniel, thanks so much for doing this.
Speaker 20: I had a question about the Canadian quarterback who kind of wowed everybody of the senior ball. Is he a guy that's going to get drafted and if so, where is he more of like a priority free agent?
Speaker 2: So everybody that I've talked to around the NFL, I still haven't gotten my hands on his tape yet. So that's been a tricky one just to try and locate the tape. So I'm one of my things I'm efforting to do is to to find my way to that tape. But there was there was a lot of excitement just the way the ball came out of his hand, and it was still more of a late round, you know, priority free agent situation, but he's got some size and just in the brief exposure I had to him watching him there. I think you have something to work with. So I'm anxious to see the tape. I'm acious not just to see the tape to see him, but to see the style and the quality of play you know up there. I'm looking forward to seeing that. So I'm on the hunt.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Anthony Cosenza of s B Nation.
Speaker 42: Hey, Daniel, thanks for the time today. Have a question for you. As the Bengals are sitting in the middle of the first round, a lot of people are talking about Walter Nolan if he's there for interior defensive line help. You mentioned earlier in the press conference call here that there's some good interior offensive line prospects later in the draft. Can the same be said about other interior defensive line prospects. If the Bengals decide to forego those type of spots within the first two rounds and they maybe wait till late night too early day three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna pull up their pick here. So if we just want to go to pick eighty one for Cincinnati and you want a defensive tackle with pick eighty one, I mean, this is the draft to do it. There is a ton of them, so you know you've got Jamari Caldwell from Oregon. Kind of in that range. You've got Ty Hamilton, Ohio State. You've got Omar Norman Lot from Tennessee, Jordan Phillips from Maryland. There's there's a lot of defensive tackles. I posted this the other day, but in terms of guys with potential starter grade. So I'm not saying you know they're locks, you know, stamp it, they're going to be starters. But with players with the potential to start at defensive tackle, last year I had twelve uh and this year I had double, So it's it is as deep of a defensive tackle draft as I can as I can ever remember. So if they do decide to go another direction early, they're gonna have plenty options beyond that if you're if you're looking. One by the way that I'm one of my just favorite players to study is a guest from from Old miss who's three hundred and twenty three pounds. I have him kind of as a as a second round like bottom half of the bottom part of the second round. But just if you want to have fun, just just pull up like a YouTube. I'm sure they're out there on him and look at his his stuff. He does offensively at Old Miss. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 27: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is from John McMullen of on s I.
Speaker 43: Hey, DJ, thanks for doing this. Last time the Eagles were thirty two was the Lamar Draft A is there a quarterback that you think might fit there for teams looking for that fifty year option? And then when they traded down they drafted Dallas Goddard and Zach Ertz Is a little bit younger, was a little bit younger than Dallas is now. Any tight ends and sort of that forty to fifty range that could project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely tight ends. The three that I would have in that mix. Mason Taylor from LSU would be a home run pick who's just a real steady, reliable, dependable guy who jumped on the scene with the game winner against Bama his freshman year. He's obviously it's a football family with Jason Taylor there, but he's impressive, had a great Senior Bowl, So I don't know how far into the second round he would make it, but he's in that range. Elijah Royo from Miami another one who had a great Senior Bowl week who can really really run. And then Harold Fannon, who I mentioned a little bit earlier from from Bowling Green. I think those would all be good guys to add along into that group. But I do think Tallas Godder it's got a lot more uh, he's got a lot more football left in him. In terms of the quarterbacks, I haven't been able to find that buzz out there for someone who would you know a quarterback that teams would really want to get into the bottom of one. Jackson dart Is uh is my third guy. That would be the one I think I would keep an eye on and see if the buzz builds with him that that maybe that could uh, that buzz could build, But as of today, I would say I don't necessarily see a team moving in there.
Speaker 17: Rank Steja yep next for want to fill up marsh with huddle UK.
Speaker 2: All right, Daddy, thanks for your telling today.
Speaker 44: The interest in the NFL over here in the UK is growing at a huge rate, and particularly the off season interest now is going with each past some year with a focus on the combine next week. What drills for specific positions would you advise a first time combine watcher really pay attention to and are there any sort of non measurables when you're scouting these prospects that you really pay attention to instead of the numbers.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's great. I'm glad there's a there's more interest building here with this event. It's it's a lot of fun to watch. I would say, first of all, if you're watching it for the first time, the most fun part of the combine is a you know, I think on the fan side of things is you want to watch guys run fast, so you know, the receivers and the dbs when they get a chance to run forties, it's just a me and rich Eisen have a blast because we got the best seat in the house and it's just still fun to watch guys that can absolutely fly. So that's that's something to watch their quarterback wise, you just want to see how the ball comes out of their hand. You're not going to necessarily worry about, you know, all the ball placement things and you know, ding them on accuracy throwing the guys they're not used to, but you can get a sense for just how they spend the ball, how the ball comes out of their hand. I think when you look at explosive positions in terms of like edge rushers. It's I always think it's it's important to see their jumps, like, see their verticals, see their broad just see how much explosiveness they can generate. Those are some of the things you look at there in terms of outside the numbers. Look, the team's going to get access to stuff we don't obviously, the medical information and the interviews that they have in the evenings. But I always think there's value in if you're watching these groups and you see, you know who ends up kind of being the leaders in these groups. Who who do players navigate towards, Who do they want to be around and talk to. I think there's I think there's information you can gather just by by watching these guys interact. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jonas Schaeffer of the Baltimore Banner.
Speaker 2: Adj.
Speaker 45: Thanks for doing this. It's been interesting to see some of the best passing offenses in the NFL don't really have that prototypical X receiver. And obviously we've seen teams like Buffalo embrace someone like a MATC. Collins because of what he can do as a field stretcher, but also with his blocking ability. I guess you know as that position has kind of evolved. Have the traits that teams are looking for at that X position changed at all just with the the evolution of the game.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question. I haven't really thought about it. I still think the core principles are the same in terms of you know, size, physicality, the ability to win on third down and in the red zone, you know, catch radius. I think a lot of those things are have been the same for a long period of time. You know, the blocking things interesting I've been you know, I've been talking about this a little bit on the defensive side of it because with corners, we used to say, when I started scouting in two thousand and three, we would use the term cover corner a lot. And you know, hey, this guy doesn't really tackle, doesn't have any interest, but who cares, Like we're going to leave him out there on the island and let him cover. And I think we're seeing so many condensed formations now that it's become imperative that you can tackle as a corner because they're going to put you in run fits, They're going to leave you alone block everybody else and make you be the force player. But it's also done, is it's It's created a need and a desire to have wide receivers that can do what the Rams have done, which is get guys who can dig out linebackers and who can be physical presence in the run game there as well from those tight splits. So, you know, I think all that stuff kind of you know, factors into a little bit of evolution and a little bit of change there. But I still think when I think of an X, I still think third down, red zone. I'd like to have somebody who can win one on one out there.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Mike payton a to Z Sports in Detroit.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 46: Thanks, Danielis this is great. I'm curious about it. The WANs are looking for somebody that generally is like a Swiss army knife, has a lot of positional versatility, can do a lot of different things. Who do you see in this in this draft, whether it's on offense or defense, that really sticks out kind of later in the in the draft, you know, second round beyond that that just can do a bunch of different things.
Speaker 2: Well defensively I mentioned to guests of all the different things he can do. Uh, you know, he's someone who on the defensive side of the ball is a defensive tackle who every now and then will kick out and just be a big, massive edge rusher. But then on offense, he's a wildcat quarterback. He's an h back, he's a wing, he runs the ball, he's you know, that's that's one of the more fun versatile pieces in this year's draft when I look at, you know, a weapon offensively, you know, if you're going to go down the line in the draft, I think there's a fun one in what he marks out of USC as someone who can really catch the ball out of the backfield. He's got a ton of production going back to Mississippi State. He's some one that I think can can can be a little bit of a mismatch player there with what he can do. So a couple of different things for him, trying to think of the other tight ends maybe that could do some other things well. The one of the one one of the guys that I'm so fascinated about in the draft. He's not going to the combine, which I was bummed about, but Willie Lampkin from from North Carolina, who's he's a wrestler. He's five ten and a half two hundred and seventy five pounds center who you just look at him on paper and then you maybe go out there and watch him warm up and you're like, there's no way this guy can physically hold up. But he does. He just plays with leverage and strength and power. He's a good football player. Did not get invited to the combine. I was bummed because I wanted to see him work out as a as a tight end. I wouldn't mind seeing him work out as a defensive tackle. I wouldn't mind seeing him work out as a fullback. I do the Charger games. I've seen Scott Mattlock was a D lineman's who's converted a fullback. I've seen card with the Ravens. So Willie Lampkin to me is, uh, that's a fun that's a fun toy to play with. I don't know exactly what his role is going to be at the next level, but he's a fun player.
Speaker 34: Thanks Kanny.
Speaker 46: I actually missed the name of the first guy you said.
Speaker 2: If you could say, oh gosh, wasn't what he marks? Was it?
Speaker 47: No?
Speaker 2: It was the defense guy who could Oh yeah, JJ Piguetz from from Ole, Miss Great. Thank you, sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Chris Bumbaka of USA Today.
Speaker 9: What's up, Daniel.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing this. I hope you're doing well.
Speaker 48: Cam Skataboo is obviously a guy who had a big coming out party in the college Football Playoff and had a great season. But what does he need to do over you know, at the combine and maybe had his pro date depending on if he works out to keep rising up draft boards.
Speaker 2: In your opinion, well, he's uh, he's a unique player, like just when you watch him. Obviously the incredible run that he went on, but yeah, I would was looking at my notes on him when I was putting this stuff in last night from my notebook, and I said, this, he just chooses violence, like I don't know if I've ever seen a more aggressive runner who just seeks out contact and who can absorb contact. When I was looking for a comp for him, my first thought was, Okay, he's like kind of like a shrunk down James Connor, and I was like, gosh, more than anything else, he just reminds me of a plink Ot chip from from The Price is Right of just like bouncing off everything and everybody. But you know the thing with him is, you know we know we can catch it. We know obviously the vision, the balance, the toughness. The only questions is going to be the top speed, So you know, if he has a chance, you know, I think to me, he looked like he probably be a low four to six guy if he if he were running the four fives, that would be great, that would really help himself out. But he's a y. She is such a fun player to watch and whoever gets him is going to have one of the most aggressive and physical runners that we've seen the last few years. So he's a fun one.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Dave Naylor of TSN.
Speaker 19: Daniel a couple of Canadian players in attendance at the combine. I know Curtis works not going to work out, but I understand he'll be there. And Alec I'm onar from the receiver from Stanford, if you could kind of give us your take on both those players at this point and obviously understanding the rourkesa comes with the injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure. Well, I mean the first time I noticed Stanford receiver when I'm watching Colorado last year and holy moly, he had monster game there. That was when he kind of jumped on my scene a little bit, and he had two hundred ninety plus yards in that game, a good bit of it on Travis Hunter, my dad. So he was that's when he jumped on my radar, but outside big time burst in his release. I thought he was better on the move. I keep him on the go. He's a little bit sticky at the top of routes working back downhill, but I thought he's he's someone who runs through the ball, which I which I like to see if talked about that a little bit, being kind of grounded through the catch. The issue with him just kind of contact drops, like you just want to see when he gets kind of those combat catch opportunities, just being a little stronger and finishing on those. But I think he's going to run really well. He's got excellent size, So I'm excited to see him once we get to once we get to Indianapolis, and then with Rourke, you know, I mean, gosh, and I guess that's not a surprise in Canada with the hockey Hockey Nation, the toughness and all that stuff, like this dude playing the whole season with and torn acl is pretty incredible. A little bit older at twenty four years old, but someone who's good in the RPO game. He's got a good pocket feel, he's quick through progressions. I like the fact he's got a nice like quiet deliveries, not real, you know, violent or aggressive as a throw. He's just very poised. You know, the question is going to be, you know, how much real pop does he have? How much arm strength does he does he have there? But I love the size, you know, obviously, the toughness speaks for itself.
Speaker 6: Where do you see Alec.
Speaker 34: Playing in the NFL?
Speaker 19: Where do you see him lining up?
Speaker 2: Well, I think he'll be outside. I think he'll be an ex receiver. I think that's where's he's best suited.
Speaker 34: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jared Feinberg of Panthers Wire.
Speaker 2: Hey, Daniel, so you had Jalen Walker as one of your top ten prospects on your big board going into next week's combine.
Speaker 3: Do you believe he.
Speaker 2: Should be more of a pure edge rusher or does he fit more of what Andrew Van Geikeel and Frankie Louvi does play wise, those are interesting comps. I think he can play in that role. To me, I just think I think you can. I think you can do so many different things, and I don't, you know, I think some things are going to say why I'm not going to just put him in one spot. I'm going to let him do a bunch of different things as those teams do with those guys. So that's that's real. I think that's a possibility. I just would love to see given the opportunity to just be a full time rusher off the edge. I know he's not, you know, six foot five, you know, ideal frame out there, I think he's going to be a nightmare to block if you just cut him loose and let him rush like that. So that's what I would do. Everything's going to be dependent on what scheme you're in and who your defensive coordinator is. But I think this guy's double digit sacks off the edge, and I don't think his you know, lack of that ideal size is an issue at all against a run. He's so strong and stout, I think he'd be I think he'd be hell on wheels out there. So that's what I would do with him. But again, if you have a defense that wants to deploy guys differently, I don't know that there's a whole lot he can't do. Thank you, Daniel Ye.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Rishi Sharma of td Labs.
Speaker 49: Hey there, Daniel, thanks so much for taking my question. I'm a small content creator for Canada trying to get draft news to more Canadians. I got a too harder here really. The first one is I've done some research and I haven't seen Tyler. I've seen Tyler Warren ranked top five and Loveland ranked top seven in your top one hundred. Haven't seen tight Ends since probably Bowers in twenty twenty four and Pitts from twenty twenty one ranked that high. What do you say about Tyler Warren? That's his X factor? And is Rob Gronkowski a little bit of a far off player comp in terms of what he can be if he used to hit his ceiling? And the second part is here this is a Dallas Cowboys focus question. You have genty mock to the Cowboys, And now my concern is the amount of touches. Is this something you look at when you look at your valuations. He has around seven hundred and fifty and someone like Gibbs is coming into the league with four hundred. I'm a little bit concerned with drafting it back like that after I've seen what happened to Ezekiel Elliott after a couple of years of being in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Sure, good questions. I'll start with the tight end stuff. Look this draft at the very very top. I mean, I've got Abdil Carter, Travis Hunter up there, but it's not a draft where you have, you know, ten like I had a higher grade on brock Bowers. Is what I will just cut to the chase there than than I did on these tight ends. I really like both of them, though we don't have quite the same top end depth that we've had in years past. But Tyler Warren is my fifth overall player because his mixture of just size, physicality. He's uh, he just walls guys off. He looks like a billboard rolling down the seam. He's enormous. He's got a huge catch radius. He he is so physical and tough with the ball in his hands after the catch. They use him, you know, on the wildcat stuff, and use him as a runner and do those different things because he's just he's a really hard guy to get on the ground. You know, there are I look at tight ends and you know you kind of look at the Gronk tree and the Kelsey tree, like if you're stylistically the difference between those two guys. I think it's well represented in this draft where you've got Tyler Warren, who represents more of the Gronk type, who's going to be better on the move, you know, crossers, seams, get the ball in his hands, make people tackle him, Whereas when you look at Lovelin, it's a little more Kelsey. It's a little more you know, option routes, getting in and out of breaks, a little more fluid, and someone who can make you miss after the catch, but not you know, not quite as physical a player there as you have there with Tyler Warren. So those are the two tight ends that I think, are you know, two of the top seven players in this year's draft class with the Cowboys and genty Yeah, I mean, look, workload is it's something that you look at. But I mean, I don't know, I know, I know Ezekiel Elliott didn't you know, on the second contract, did not get the Cowboys what they wanted, But that's a that's a heck of a run. I don't know how many how many teams would be disappointed with that type of impact if they were to get out of a draft pick. You know, to have that type of that type of elite player, even if it's for a handful of years, I think would constitute a great pick. Thanks so much, Daniel Ye.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Eric Smith of Chargers dot Com. I, dij I think, thanks as always for doing this with the Chargers at pick twenty two.
Speaker 48: How would you prioritize their needs heading into year two with Jim Harbor and Joe Ortiz.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, Look, I look at the interior of the offensive line would be the top for me, and that's going to be, you know, something you can address with free agency and the draft, and I think getting more weapons offensively, you know, get getting a you know, ideally you get a big time tight end to go along with some you know, some juice in the backfield at running back, someone that you can find with some real burst and then uh, you know, someone to add to the receiver room who's got some explosiveness. So you know, I referenced the Lions a little bit earlier Eric about you know, doing the big things first and then go and get in the speed and the explosiveness. I still think there's a little work to be done on the big side, and they've got defensive tackle situation. With free agency, you know, I'd love to see him bring back pun a Ford there. But you know, this draft is is matched up pretty well with their needs. And you know, tiior defensive line, tiior offensive line, tight end, running back. I think those are all areas that can be addressed through free agency and through the draft. And I think where they're picking, you know, there's a chance you could be looking at Lovelin, which would be a great pick there. I love Omar and Hampton from North Carolina. If you want to go with the running back, I think that's a that's a great pick there, someone who could give them some some burst as well as the physicality all kind of wrapped up in one. So there's your tight end, there's your there's your running back, and then interior offensive line. I don't think Booker gets there. That would be a run the card up for me because I just think, man, you continue to invest in that interior offensive line. Uh, he'd be a he'd be a really good fit there with his size, physical reality, character, intelligence, all that stuff. He's he's someone who checks every box. So I think they're gonna I think you have a really really good player there for him in one of those spots, and and I think that's up to them to figure out how in free agency to support compliment what they're going to do.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Blaine Grissick of Turf Show Times.
Speaker 50: Hey, Daniel, thanks for doing this. Just kind of look at at the back half of the first round. It kind of seems like that the area twenty to forty is a bit of a dead zone of purgatory a little bit. Do you see and as many a lot of teams maybe trying to maybe trying to trade back. You see enough team is trying to trade up where you can get out of that range, and they're just kind of looking at jday Baron. I know you had him ranked pretty highly. Do you think he kind of gets maybe the Kuber Dejenie treatment where teams see him as a nickel and he and we're sitting here in a year a year from now saying how did he how did he fall fall to like forty or something?
Speaker 2: Like that, Yeah, I've had this conversation with a team about this very subject because and I will say, I'm higher on Baron than just about every team I've talked to. I love the way that he plays. I just do. And I think that, uh, well, this is what I've said to teams. I'm like, look, you guys, blew it on Branch. You guys, let Branch fall to the second round. The league, we the league collectively blew it on Cooper Dejene let him fall to the second round. Is this gonna happen again?
Speaker 25: Like?
Speaker 2: Are we gonna let Baron fall? Because we're not going to give credit to someone who's going to be on the field the whole game as someone who's going to be a nickel. We're going to play, you know, in that different roles he can play. Can be your dime linebacker, be your nickel. I think he could survive outside if if you needed him to. That's not going to be where his specialty is. But somebody that may that it's a sure tackler that has instincts, that takes the football away. That's an outstanding blitzer. And I look at the teams that are you know, in the playoffs and guys that can fill that role, can play that role for teams. I saw it, you know, I see it with Derwin James as someone who can play in that in that spot. You look at obviously Cooper Degene coming off of the Super Bowl there, the Chiefs with McDuffie had someone that you know, he's outside he played. He can be a difference maker in that role and has been in the past. The Ravens obviously, when you have the size and physicality they have that they can put down in there in that spot. I think there's value to it. I think he's a great player. I don't necessarily understand the uh, you know, the lack of value there for him around the league, But I guess we'll have to see what shakes out there. And then what was the what was the other one about the options of being able to trade back? Is that what you're saying, Yeah.
Speaker 50: He's about twenty or forty range kinds seems like a bit of a predatory, like are they gonna have teams that maybe you want to trade up in that range where teams can have the option to trade back.
Speaker 2: The one thing I would keep an eye on is if you have some teams with tackle needs depending on what happens with the dependent what happens with the Ravens, you know, with Ronnie Stanley, they could be one that could potentially move up. The Chiefs, you know, depending on where their comfort level is with their their roster. Left tackle could be an area they could address. So I try and look at maybe Shall Pools and where there would be a need to move up. I would say, keep an eye on the offensive tackle market and maybe that could drive some movement.
Speaker 3: Next question is from River Wells a Bucks game day.
Speaker 51: Hey there, Daniel, thanks for doing this. The Buccaneers have a lot of different needs. A lot of them are on defense at a lot of different levels. And Todd Bowles likes to run covering three, a lot of different blitzer in different fronts and looks. When you look at some of these defensive players and kind of where the Bucks are going to draft at around nineteen, what do you think of some of the best fits for this sort of Todd Bowls defense?
Speaker 2: Well, aggressive guys that can blitz from anywhere. Look, John Campbell would be sure as heck fun to watch there, just with all the different things he can do and fast and explosive and smart. That's a good combination for him for Coach Bowls to be able to play with there. So that's the first game that just jumped off the top of my head here when I'm thinking about those types of players. Williams from Georgia would be another one. Can you can do a lot of different things with him in terms of rushing him inside, rushing him outside. He's athletic enough if you want to drop him, he can do a lot of those things as well. So those are a couple of names to me that that just kind of jump out as pretty dynamic players that are you know. I love it when you have pass rushers that can win from different entry points, and I think those guys can both win from a variety of entry points. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Richard Silva of Detroit News and.
Speaker 2: You'll appreciate your time.
Speaker 46: I think the popular thought probably with the lines at twenty eight is edge rusher.
Speaker 48: But if they do pass up on that, who are some guys in range at sixty they think could be available?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty for edge rushers, you know, I kind of mentioned it. Uman Malayan from from Old miss is right in that range. I have I'm not quite as high on Nick scourt and as some other people are, so that that's his range for me. And again I like him. He's a good player, and you know, I just know a lot of people talk about him as a first round pick and and he very well could be. But he's in that range for me. You've got you know, Kyle Kinard, You've got Twey Molole from Ohio State. It's a good group. There's a there's a lot of options there and uh and still you can get guys that can that can come in and start. I've talked about this detackle how deep it is. The edge group's pretty deep as well.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Darien Hopkins of the Las Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 9: Talk how you doing, DJ?
Speaker 52: How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Sarry done great, Thanks for thanks for hopping on. Appreciate it. Quick question.
Speaker 53: I know there is a lot of uncertainty with the quarterback position for the Las Vegas Raiders. It has been a lot of rumors of the Raiders moving up to get a top quarterback. Now, if they don't decide to get a trade up to get the top quarterback, what would be the option at number six for the Las Vegas Raiders and what positions would be the best fit for that number six overall.
Speaker 2: Bit, Yeah, they could go on in several different directions. You know, you look at some of their needs. You know, obviously the core stands out, but corner, uh is an area depending on how you how comfortable they are with with Will Johnson. I'm a Baron Baron fan, but I haven't talked to teams that would be as comfortable all the way up there at that point in time, I'd be a little early, So that that's one area you could look. I think they could just go though, you know, kind of best available defensive player, you know, I don't think you can go wrong there. Walker is a fun one. We've talked a ton about him from Georgia. I know Tom Brady is gonna know everything ins and outs about Mason Graham. Christian Wilkins and Mason Graham would be kind of a fun pairing with with Max on the outside. So there's, uh, there's different directions, different areas they could go there. But uh, you know, they've got to figure out the quarterback thing at some point in time via free agency or whether they're gonna do it right here at six or or whether they want to try and take a flyer on somebody, you know, outside the top of the draft. So I do I do have my uh did have my antenna up because I have to go back and double check. But uh, I'm trying to remember if what Chip Kelly's connection was with Dylan Gabriel. Maybe is a down the line option for them at quarterback, but I'm pretty sure they're familiar with each other. Thank you, Sarah yep.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Casey Kenneman of Orange and Brown Report.
Speaker 11: By all indications, the Browns are going to lean back into Kevin Stefanski's willhouse with the wide zone scheme and play action from under center elements. This is a terrific running back class, which running backs you see is the best fit for the wide zone and kind of give me some of the characteristics of each one.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, there's again I mentioned the depth of this running back class. The first one that just popped right into my head was is is Caleb Johnson from Iowa someone who I just think is he's that one cut, you know, foot in the ground, speed and go, he's got he's got excellent vision. He's not going to be a real you know like nifty in and out guy. He's just gonna see it and go and he's got he's got burst and he's got long speed. So that would be the first one that kind of popped into my mind. You know other ones. You know, Hampton obviously would fit into that as a big explosive guy. I think he's a little more loose than than Johnson, but that would would fit there as well. Gosh, there's Dylan Sampson, not the biggest guy in the world, a little bit undersized out of Tennessee, but uh, you know he's he's again. He can get to the he can get to the perimeter, get get north and south and go. He's got big time, big time burst. I don't think he's gonna time as fast as he plays. He plays plenty fast. Those are some guys that that kind of jump out to me. But I mean the too Ohio State guys can play in any scheme. With Judkins and Henderson, and with with those two individually, Judkins is like a he's a finisher. Like you watch the end of the Penn State game, he's their four minute back and he just salts the game away. He's got balance, strength, power, passing, game wise more screens, checked down type, whereas Henderson is one of the best pass protecting backs that I've evaluated. He is exceptional in that regard. And then he can run routes, he can pluck it, and he can hit home runs out of the backfield. He's not quite as good of a dirty runner inside as as Judkins is, but definitely a home run hitter who in that in that system Again, stretch and then and then get up the field and use your speed and then be a factor in the passing game. Traveon Henderson is is outstanding. So I mean, and I go on, there's there's a bunch of backs third third round type probably third fourth round for someone like Trevor e Tn is another one that I like. So again, it's a long list, all right, Thanks DJ yep.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Zach Goodle of Swamp two four seven.
Speaker 54: Hey, Daniel, I'm curious for your impressions of Florida's draft class. They're sending nine guys to the combine after two last year. Obviously, don't need to get into each one, but maybe some of the standouts to you, and in particular Graham Mertz with the quarterback class and if the play that he put together at Florida after a little bit up and down at Wisconsin changed his trajectory at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll start with Mertz. To me, I had him more of as a you know, late round priority free agent. You know, he is a little bit older, which a lot of these guys are, was twenty four. But you know, I like the way he threw the ball on the move. I thought he held the ball a little bit long. I thought he got a little bit jumpy at times in the pocket, and I just thought there were times where I just like to see him just throw a little more trajectory. He just kind of threw a flat ball. But by all accounts talking to the folks there about you know, he's just a he's a great dude. He's really really bright. So if he can kind of just pass the threshold, you know, as a thrower, I think he's got a chance to, you know, an opportunity maybe as a practice squad or hang on to a roster as a backup. But to me, he was he was more kind of a late round guy or free with some of these other Florida guys. Cameron Jackson is enormous kind of unique to see a detackle with six six and a half three hundred and forty pounds. He more of a flash player than someone who's real consistent. I thought he played on his heels a little bit much, but he can stack blocks. He's got real strong hands, and I thought he played with good block awareness. So anyways, interesting package with him with his size. And then I'll just give you a couple more here Badger the receiver. I like that he's inside outside, he's instinctive settles and zones. He can win with quicks against press. He tracks the ball easy. I thought his his his frame. You know, he caught the ball and played bigger than his size, so I thought he was, you know, fourth round type player. And then give you one more here, just with Shamar James, a linebacker. You know, first tape you watches against Miami has nice play against Cammore to pick one off there. You can use him in a variety of ways. You can spy him. He's got range, the perimeter, he can harry and cover down the steam. I just thought, you know, physicality wise, he got stuck on some blocks and got swallowed a little bit inside, So a little bit more of a Day three guy for me, but but someone who's got a chance.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Patrick Brown of two four to seven Sports.
Speaker 55: I want to ask you about a couple of Tennessee guys. You already touched on Samson, so we could circle back to James Pierce Cheen or something he mentioned earlier was that there was a pretty wide range to where he could go. He obviously going into the season, was projected near maybe the top of the draft. So what did you think, how did you sort of evaluate his play this season? And thank you for doing this.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, teams are are just kind of split on him, just kind of you get stuff all over the map. He is, you know, he is a kind of a unique player because of his frame and his build. But gosh, when I watch him, he's just really really explosive. Again, I mentioned those kind of those first three steps. Those are the ones that that that jump out to me. He reminds me, Gosh, I'm the name is I have all these draft names in my head, so the current guys end up escaping me. But Leonard Floyd, you know, the tall, long, rangy edge rusher, That's kind of who he reminds me of as a player. So he's he's a good one. Omar or Norman Lott the DT. He can he plays with power through edges. He's kind of funky in that he's got a unique rush as someone in there who's he'll use a euro step at times. He can cross your face. I didn't think he was ultra ultra dynamic, but he just got a lot of ways to kind of win in there. I gave him, you know what, was a third round grade. Elijah Simmons the other DT's three hundred and forty pounds, just massive, can sit there and plug and hold the point of attack, easy holds up doubles. Not much of a pass rusher, more just push the pocket. I'm always rip of these last two. Bru McCoy seen him since high school, at modern day and at USC just you know, durabilities the is the knock there. But he's big, he's physical, He's gonna he's gonna look great just watching him move around the warm ups, contract the ball, he's physical after the catch. Just uh, you know, durability and staying healthy is the is the issue there. And then Thornton, you know size, speed, you know they he caught a zillion of those those bang eights those skinny posts in that offense with that real row wide split. He tracks the ball. Well, I just thought it was a route running he telegraph a little bit and uh, just like to see a little bit more precision there, a little more and a little more uh intention there as a route runner and uh and I didn't know after the catch if there was much wiggle, just kind of more of a runaway from.
Speaker 9: You guy, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine Conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is Dustin Adams on a disease sports in Indianapolis.
Speaker 21: Hi.
Speaker 2: Daniel thinks of taking the time today, no problem.
Speaker 56: So for the Cult, they have some clear needs in the secondary with some younger pieces in the mold and then making the defensive philosophy switch with Louis Arumo coming over as the coordinator. What are your thoughts, I guess on the day one and day two prospects at corner and at safety, especially in terms of being able to play in like the deep safety role.
Speaker 2: Sure, deep safety role. I mean Starks fits that out of Georgia. He's someone that can play in the nickel, can play high as the safety, so that one would would be the first one I would talk about as someone who can range and play over the top. Xavier Wats is another one from Notre Dame who fits in there. One of one of my favorite guys in the safety group who's gonna, you know, third fourth round, maybe you get him in the fourth round is Craig Woodson from CAL. He he plays in the deep path, he can play downhill, he can open, he's a smooth mover, he's got speed, he's a firm tackler, and he's really really smart and talking to the folks at CAL, they rave about his intelligence and leadership. So he's someone I'm big on trust in the back end, and I think he's someone you get in the third fourth round that I would trust putting back there real early in his career. Corner wise, for a little more of the depth guys talked about. Trey Amos is one of my favorites at an Old miss Parish, Kansas State in terms of like having some tools, some raw tools to work with, but you've got to be a little bit patient. Darien Porter from Iowa State hightweight speed. He can play the ball down the field. He just is a little bit tight, but you've got some things to work with there. Another cow kid, Noel Williams, who's got a ton of production and I think is he's ready to play right away. You can watch the Auburn game with him.
Speaker 25: You can.
Speaker 2: He had three picks in that game, picked off cam Ward to pick six against cam Ward in that game. Real feisty, physical, maybe a little quicker than fast. We'll see what he runs. But he's another one kind of in that third fourth round range. So there's you know, there's some interesting names there that I think would that would fit what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Next question is Mooki Alexander from SB Nation.
Speaker 57: Hi there, Daniel, thank you for this really enlightening conference call. The big story up here in the Pacific Northwest regarding the Seattle Seahawks is whether or not they extend Geno Smith and keep him as a starter in twenty twenty five. But even if he does stay, there is the possibility that Seattle could actually draft a quarterback this year, which is something they've only done twice ever under John Schneider. There are a lot of options, seemingly in the late day one day two even day three range, and the most common names I've seen mock drafted to Seattle are Will Howard of Ohio State, Calum McCord of Syracuse, Quin Eyears of Texas, and Jackson Dart of Ole, miss whom I believe you it suggests it could even be an option for Seattle at number eighteen. So with the expectation of a run oriented, play action based more under center offense under Clint Kubiak, which of those quarterbacks do you believe best fits the new Seattle offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate that. Look. Coffee would probably a little bit rich for me at eighteen. For Jackson Dart, I have him in the forties, but he's my third quarterback there. And I just kind of ripped through some of these guys and I tell you about him, and then I'll just kind of wrap it up with with who I think could make some sense for what they're doing. But you know, Will Howard had the hot playoff run. He's got obviously the size almost six four two and forty pounds, ultra competitive kid. I love the fact that he wonted two spots at k State and then obviously this year at Ohio State, he's a touch thrower. He's quick to get to number three in his read. You know, the big question is just going to be the arm strength. You know, I had a couple, you know, a couple of brain cramps during the year, but I thought he cleaned all that stuff up. You know, everybody's gonna look at the Oregon game, the first meeting, you know, with running the clock out there at the end of that ball game, and you know, some turnovers against against Penn State. But I thought he got better and throughout the year. I just want to see him throw live. I've never seen him throw live. I want to see what his arm looks like. Tyler Schuck from Louisville is older. He's twenty five. He's got four degrees, so he's probably gonna be as well educated as anybody on your football team. I can't imagine anybody having more than that. He can drive the ball. He's big and strong. He's another one who can get to number three in the progression. He can throw off balance. He's got a lot of arm talent. There's a lot of lot to like there. One of the things with him is just pocket awareness stuff. He bails too much instead of just sliding, shuffling and finding space within the pocket. But he's a big, strong dude yours. There's there's a few guys that are on my list to go back after the combine, after I get some time after watching all these guys and go back to twenty three tape, because you know, look, I know he wasn't helly this year, but he just he did not take the step I was hoping he would take. He is still young at twenty one, He's got quick feet, quick release, but he just he got it a lot of bad habits. I didn't think he played with any conviction, just not trusting what he's seeing, got real sloppy with his feet, and everything kind of got away from him. So the team had tremendous success, and he obviously made some big time throws in the playoffs, but overall, the not the step forward I was hoping for him. And then last one I think you mentioned was Kyle McCord from Syracuse reminded me a lot of Derek Carr at Fresno. Quick feet, quick eyes, you see some RPO stuff there. He's accurate, he's got a touch down the field, he can gass it up and give you some velocity when needed, just played real aggressive and was a little bit frenetic at times and also ran himself into some sacks. So all those guys have, you know, different strengths and weaknesses. I think they're all intriguing type players. To me, they're more ideally you'd love to get them in the third round. You know, I think Dart will be gone by them, But I think the rest of these guys, that's more the range that I have them. But in terms of someone you'd want to work with, Gosh, it sounds weird even though he's older, but for what they're doing, I mean, Tyler Shuck to me would be UH would be someone I would be interested in maybe taking a flyer on there in the third round.
Speaker 57: Very interesting. That was actually gonna be my other question. What do you think of Tyler Shuck? But do you you your mind reader to an addition.
Speaker 4: To being.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Thanks for your time.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Brandon Kritstl of Guerrilla Sports.
Speaker 39: Hey DJ, first time, long time.
Speaker 47: With some mu's talk about shadur And and Travis Center, I was curious what you thought of the other UH prospects from see specifically all the white outs obviously a couple more will be at the combine, and then I don't think Ull Shepherd will be. And then separately, what do you think of the two Jayhawks Devin Neil and the Hawk Mamba Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, all right, cool, I'll start. Good to hear your voice. By the way, I'll go Colorado. I mean we've I think we've. You know, Travis Hunter is. Travis Hunter is like someone took someone went to the Philadelphi Eagles and took DeVante's Davante Smith and Darius Slay and just like spun him around in a circle and they came out as the same human being. He's he's he's unique, but wester is you know, for someone who's just over five nine hundred and seventy seven pounds, not real big, but ultra dynamic explosive. I like the fact he had twenty one explosives and only three drops. He's sudden getting in and out of breaks. Just gonna have to play him in space, you know, that's where his game is. And I thought he was, you know, kind of in that fourth round range Jimmy Horns a little bit, uh, you know, in that same vein I like Wester a little bit more, but Horn a lot of quick hitters. He's tough and strong through contact, he can uh uh you know, he can really see things, feel things instinctive wise. I didn't think he was quite as elusive after the catch there, but uh, someone who's uh, you know, definitely kind of an interesting down the line player. You didn't ask me about Colorado of state guys by the way there. I feel like that's, uh, that's not serving your market properly. When you have someone that like Tory Horton, who's a really, really good player, I'm just busting your chops.
Speaker 47: And then yeah, I read a chime in on Tory Horton too.
Speaker 2: Obviously was banged up a little bit. No, I know, he's one of my favorites. You know, I have had a chance to go back and watch him in twenty three. But inside outside, smooth mover, he can separate, he can change direction, he's got a big catch radius, knows how to play, knows how to work back. I mean, he's you're gonna see him climb through the spring. You're gonna start hearing a lot more about him as he's healthy in the spring, and you'll start seeing some buzz building on him. Let's get to your Jayhawks. I actually I'm logan Brown fan. You know, plays their right tackle. He's got quick feet, plays a little bit high, But I just like the fact that you got somebody that can work up to the second level swallows linebackers. He's got a little nasty edge to him when he's free. When he's free, he looks for work. So like that about him. Just over extends a little bit at time, something to work on. But I liked him to the tune of like third fourth round Kobe Bryant. You mentioned it. The ball production is excellent. He's lean, he's one hundred and seventy one pounds. I don't love that. But he can take the ball away. You know that. The the Houston game will show you that. Just watch him and cover three, just drive and pull it away. He can. He can find the ball with his back to the quarterback, which is very hard to do. He's got really quick feet and for someone who's not big and who's light like that, although it's always kind of a low tackler, but he's he's got a decent batting average as a tackler. So he's again someone I think if he was a little bit bigger, we'll be talking about him probably more in that you know, second round range. But I think he's probably three four is where we see him go oh, he want me to I'm just looking through another couple more on the maybe two more. By the way, Dotson had the five picks at the other corner zone. Eyes sees it well, drives through the receiver to the ball, just got out muscled a little bit times. He's the Day three guy for me, Devin Neil short step or he can make you miss the productions, excellent looks to get vertical as fast as possible. I thought he was a little bit quicker than fast. I'm anxious to see what he runs. But someone who's definitely a you know, valuable option is a check down back and someone who's an efficient runner two hundred and twenty pounds.
Speaker 47: Thanks dj, I'll see an indie if you make it all right.
Speaker 2: See but.
Speaker 3: Nice question is from Matt Ryan of Baltimore Ravens dot Com.
Speaker 1: Hey, Daniel, I appreciate you taking the time. I'm just curious with the defensive line depth in this class, and you know, the top end talent that they have do you think that teams could kind of wait until later rounds just because of you know, how many starter level level players there are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think there's a couple of positions in this draft where that's going to be the discussion. When you look at if you are dead set on getting a defensive tackle, edge rusher, running back, tight end, I think that you have to you know, you have to look at the combination. And this is you know what you do in the draft rooms. You take the combination of players. Okay, if we take the running back in the first round and we take the tackle in the second round, what does that combination look like versus flipping it. We get the tackle first, we come back and get the you know, the running back, edge rush or whatever position later. I just think those are some positions of real, real depth. So, you know, if that's if that's a need for you along the defensive line, running back, tight end, I think you might look at going another position early, knowing you could you can circle back and still get a really talented player, you know, not just in this year, but historically, like guys, whereas I don't know that the top fifteen of this draft marries up with some of the better top fifteens we've seen over the last decade. But I do think the day two mix, I think it's very similar, So I think there's quality to be had there.
Speaker 3: Next question, Ray Ditty Paldo from Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Hope I didn't butcher that name.
Speaker 12: You did not, Thank you, Daniel.
Speaker 58: There's a discussion a couple of years ago about the value of taking a guy like Jordan Davis in the middle of the first round.
Speaker 9: You know, a two down player.
Speaker 58: He's been that for the Eagle, So same question a couple of years later. But if you could spin that towards the Steelers, would there be value there taking a guy like Kenneth Grant who could help your run defense, or would you rather see them a twenty one go after a guy with more three down versatility, you know, pick your guy Harriman, whoever that might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think Kenneth has that upside in him. I mean, he's gonna be three hundred and forty pounds and he's going to run under five flat. I mean, you're just going to see an athlete. It's a freak. He just hasn't you know. He's not a polished rusher yet, so I think that's all in front of him, and I think in the meantime, he's someone who is going to dominate against the run. He's going to eat blocks. And you know as a league that's gone, you know, to so much shell coverage and become so obsessed with taking away explosives, Well, you do that, you got to play with light boxes, and so I do think that talking to people around the league and just you know, following a team around the league and speaking to people every week, there's more value in these guys. Now. It's kind of everything's kind of come around a little bit where it was that, man, if you can't really rush the passer, I'm not going to expend the high resources on you as a defensive lineman a defensive tackle. And now it's like, you know what, we're trying to take away explosive plays, we're a little light in the box. Having someone that can dominate against the run and let us play our coverage over the top is huge, and he's I think he's got more as a rusher. I'm I have this vision in my head and and this is probably a sign that I haven't been sleeping much but I just remember going back to Albert Hainsworth when he was with Tennessee playing with van in Bosh. I'm not comparing him in terms of, you know, people work out all the stuff. I'm just saying a big jumbo athlete like that that you could kick out at end and then they would put Vandenbosch inside and they could run games and do all those things. And then, like I think Kenneth Grant, he's got the ability and the tools to do some unique stuff and he has not come close to scratching the surface of his potential. So I would have no problem whatsoever if the Eagle or if the Steelers made that pick, and I'd be I'd be pretty pumped up about it if I were a Steeler fan.
Speaker 26: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jessa Nance of tied one hundred point nine.
Speaker 59: Hey, Daniel, I have a question about Alabama players Campbell and Tyler Booker. I know if you've spoken on them a bit, but my question is, so far Jahad you have him, if he's still around, why would it be a great, great idea to take him at that twenty ninth spot. And if Tyler Booker is able to go to Chicago, what could he how could he be beneficial to that Chicago team? And then additionally, what does Jalen Milro need to do on combine, in the combine and on pro Day to at least get back into the second round?
Speaker 2: Cool? I will I will go those one at a time here. So with Campbell in Washington, I think that represents a tremendous value there at pick number twenty nine. And again, if you obviously have seen him and when he when he plays off the ball, and the range and the ability to use him as a blitzer from off the ball is pretty is pretty special. And then I'm not so sure you can't just get to third down and let him kick out side full time and let him rush and he might go get you ten sacks doing that. So that would constitute a tremendous value there at pick number twenty nine in my opinion, based off the player, I think they would love coaching him there, and dan Quinn would love him in Washington. Booker with the Bears, it's the biggest need the Bears have when you look at them offensive line wise, they have got to be better. They've got to be more firm up the middle and That's Booker's calling card, is how he can set his anchor and is just a strong, firm presence there as well as someone who's so smart and bright and aware. I like the fact when you have a young quarterback and Caleb Williams surrounding him everywhere with as many smart players as you can. I just think that helps in a big way. And that doesn't necessarily have to just be veterans. It can be with really really smart young players and that's what Booker is, So I think that fits and solves a lot of their problems there. And then when it comes to Milrow, it's just again, you know, continuing to grow as a passer. You know, get your cleats in the ground. There's time so he can get up a little bit on his toes. Just be just just relax, be comfortable, drop your shoulders, put your cleats in the ground and h and let and let the let the ball come off your hand. I mean, it's all in there as a runner. I was talking to a baseball GM the other day and we were, you know, kind of referencing how we grade players in the scale that we use the scouting skill and in baseball, it goes up to eighty, and they reference everything by saying, someone's got you know, he's got a sixty five fastball, he's got seventy speed, he's got you know, fifty makeup what have you? And I was like, you know, it's interesting. If I was thinking about this draft and you take all the quarterbacks and you took all their individual skills and you put them on that scale, I would say that he's the only one who has an eighty trait, which is his ability to run like he is an eighty runner. It is a special special talent that he has. So I hope, I don't know if he's gonna run a forty or not, uh at the combine or at the pro day, but I I would not be surprised if the second number was a three, just watching the tape of how fast he is and how good of a runner he is. So now it's just continue to grow and uh and and show through the spring meet with teams. He's going to have zooms, he's gonna have he's gonna have visits, you know, show them that that uh, you know, you've got a thirst to improve and and uh, I would not be surprised at all if somebody you know, was was excited about that and and they were to uh, you know, to pull the trigger there at that point in time. So I think right now most teams have him more third or fourth round. But to your point, he's got an opportunity to spring to see if he can em better that. Thank you sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Angelique Chingellis of Detroit News.
Speaker 60: Thanks so much, And Daniel, I just wanted to ask you very quickly another Michigan question. Uh, your impressions of the running backs Donovan Edwards and Kalel Mallin and Donovan seemed to improve his stock a bit at the Senior Bowl. And my second question is way early in the call you mention you were talking about Mason Graham and yeah, and so that you hope people don't overthink it too much with him, And I was just wondering what you meant, like, what what might they overthink with with Mason?
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's not going to be long, He's gonna have short arms, you know, body type wise, he's not going to be someone who's going to stand up on a stage, you know, in a line full of these defensive linemen and you're gonna go, oh, gosh, that looks like the top ten defensive linemen. He just doesn't he doesn't cut that image, you know, he doesn't have that body type. So and I don't know, testing wise, I have no clue, you know, how he's going to run or jump or do all those things. I do know some of these other guys are going to blow it out, so that that's kind of my point on him. But the tape is so good. I don't know many people remember this one, but I was in Baltimore with Kelly Gregg, and he's got more twitch to him, more suddenness and than Kelly. But Kelly was a wrestler who played with leverage and you I mean, if you if he played on a field of wet paint, he did not have a drop of paint on him at the end of the game. And that's kind of the way it is with Mason. He's got such good balance and strength and leverage. He's again I'm a big fan of his, but that's what I was referencing in terms of the spring. If if you know, we take the football pants off and put the shorts on, that maybe he would take on some water there. So that was my thought process on the running backs. Khalil Mullings was a was a fun one to me. You know, he kind of going to the year and you know, Donovan is the one. He's on the video game and that's all the attention and all the eyeballs, and then I know he didn't quite have the year he wanted. But Mullings, you know, for someone that's two hundred and twenty seven pounds, I thought he had vision. I thought he ran with balance, he can push the pile. I love the fact he never put the ball on the ground, he didn't fumble. The se game was the first one I watched. You know, he's got the stiff arm and the long run to kind of set up his touchdown at the end of that game to really pull out one that they you know, might not should have won. But he was able to, uh to kind of lead the charge. There not a factor in the passing game with only six catches, so that's something, you know, we'll see if that impacts where he goes. But I had him more in like that fourth round. Range had a similar grade with Donovan. You know, you've got some flashes with him this year. They flashed the power he uh, you know, he's another one's got a nice little stiff arm. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. I just thought he didn't run with you know, with a lot of wiggle, and I didn't quite see the same burst that I was hoping to see. And you're right, the Senior Bowl was better. But uh, you know, he's someone I think that uh, you know, I don't think this year you saw his best. So I'm hoping that that's uh, that's gonna that's gonna show up wherever he lands, and and we'll see the younger version of him.
Speaker 39: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine Conference.
Speaker 61: Call just past the two hour mark, DJ, so hopefully we can we can get to these last few questions here in order. Next question is from Ryan Hinton of Saints Block Party.
Speaker 62: Hey, DJ, sorry about that.
Speaker 20: I really wanted to find out.
Speaker 62: It seems like Jackson Dart seems to be getting quite a bit of buzz in these last couple of weeks, especially since the Senior Bowl. I just wanted to know, like, what are your thoughts on him and kind of where does he where does he level out at with this quarterback class.
Speaker 2: Sure, I have him as the third guy. The things that that you like about Jackson, I see there's some similarities. People will maybe raise their eyebrows on this, but I do see some similarities to Hurts when Hurts was going through the process US and that got kind of a similar build, similar frame. They're both really good athletes, they're both beloved by their teammates, say the right things, do all the right things, all that stuff kind of off the field. There's a lot of similarities there. And I thought with Jalen he got better every year. He just kept just taking steps. And we've seen it since he's coming to the league. He just he just keeps getting better and better and better because he's just he's got great wiring. He works really really hard, and there's a competitiveness and a toughness to him. So that's some of the things that I that I really like about Jackson. This offense, you know they're not gonna get real deep into progressions. Lane does a really good job of getting to the point where you know early in progressions you're gonna have places to distribute the football. So you'll see some RPOs. You'll see some seams, uh some they take a lot of deep shots, but they're kind of designed deep shots, so you kind of know where the ball's going. But he throws a nice, you know, nice deep ball. When to work on from that regard not just kind of getting deeper in progressions, but there's times where I think his eyes can be a little bit ahead of his feet, just kind of sinking that up, marrying that up a little bit better, and just you know, continuing to uh, you know, to be cautious and careful with the football and some some key moments that's uh, you know, that's some areas for him. But I have met him. He is a really really good kid, presents himself really well, and I think there's, uh, there's a lot of tools to work with. So that's why I happened as a third quarterback.
Speaker 20: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jim Alexander of Real Talker.
Speaker 63: Sorry, hey, DJ. Two Bears questions here. First, one, do you think they'll have their pick of choosing for the offensive lineman available in the draft. And second of all, when you look back at Roma Dunes that he didn't have the best of years last year, do you still project him to be the top talent that you were projecting him to be last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have any I don't have any concerns about him. I think he's gonna be really really good. There was, uh, you know, obviously there's issues up front offensive line wise, and there was a you know, there was a lot of mouths to feed there. So I'm I'm excited about Ben Johnson come in there. I'm excited about him getting you know, uh to really have an opportunity to take off their Caleb's going to be better. I just think everything else around him is going to be better. But when I watch the tape, I still see somebody that can that can get open. I still see somebody that can make plays. And I think you'll you'll see him. His makeups so good and the talents there. I don't really worry about him, uh going forward. And then when you you look at where they're picking, do they get you know, the first crack at an offensive lineman. Look, there's some teams ahead of them that could that could pull the trigger. So I think that's TBD. But I do think the fact that you know, their need being along the interior, I think they're going to have their pick of interior guys so that I know it's not the sexiest thing in the world. I know people don't want to say get super excited about taking a guard with a tenth pick, but if you watched the Bears play last year, you might be excited about taking a guard with the tenth pick.
Speaker 63: Thanks DJ.
Speaker 3: Next question, we're going to go international. Ricardo Gomez from Portugal.
Speaker 34: I love DJ solosz Americo. Fellow DJ Gratings from Mexico. From guess Son Aguno's prospectus for Barsustoken Combine, what are some under the radar prospects you think could make a huge impact during the combine and Reister stuck.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I am so glad you asked it in English because I I I'm gonna be honest, I did not pass Spanish one the first time I took it. I had to retake it, so I'm uh not proud of that. But I did eventually get get to get a passing grade, although I think it was a C. When I'm looking at some underrated players that I think are gonna flash at the combine, well, I've mentioned Harston from Kentucky. He's gonna absolutely fly and I mean he's in my top fifty. But you know, I think he's got a chance to run himself up into the first round conversation. You'll hear some some buzz and some conversation about him. There's a there's a couple of of edge rushers and defensive linemen that I think you're gonna see tests really really well that I'm uh that I'm high on. They're a good football player. Saveon Jones from LSU is gonna work out really well. He's two hundred and eighty nine pounds and uh, he was dominant in the Senior Bowl game. I mean he's going to be a Day two pick, but I think you could see him really put on a show there and run particularly well. You look at the edge rushers that are going to be impressive. I think Braden Swinson from LSU, his teammate, has a chance to work out run really well. Aman Hassanin from Boise State, who's a great story is a is a kid who grew up in Egypt. He's gonna he's he's productive there at Boise State. He's uh, you know, he's going to test. I think he's going to surprise some people with how he works out and how he tests. So those are those are some of the guys that I think you'll see create some buzz there. I'm trying to think of an offensive maybe an offensive lineman I can find for you. Well, I mean he's not he's not necessarily under the radar, but I do think Membo from Missouri is going to work out extremely well at three hundred and thirty pounds. We'll be talking about him.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Phil Jones of New Stitch Media.
Speaker 9: Hey, Daniel, thanks for having us on today.
Speaker 2: No problem, So just.
Speaker 64: Jumping on the number six pick with the Raiders. Now you have on your mob draft two point zero. You got Shadora fall into them. But you know, in the last few years we haven't seeing the Raiders needed a quarterback, and you know they kind of just didn't go that route. Is there a possible ability if Chador has not been there at six besides going defense like Will Johnson, like you said earlier, would they go someone like, you know, maybe McMillan or maybe probably Gent and then come down to the thirty seventh pick, would they probably look at a Jackson Dark or maybe Jaln Milroe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think Dart would enter into that discussion mill Row. That would be a little bit early based off where I have him. But I think you you know, look, you do all your homework in the spring and get to know him and work him out, and obviously the upside is there. So I wouldn't rule out eventually getting to that point. I'm not there at that at that point, at this point in time in terms of some of those other options, yeah, I mean, you know, you could go on a whole whole host of different directions there. I would love, you know, I would love Genty the only thing. And I'm again, he's my third overall player. I'm a huge, huge gente believer and I am one when it comes to running backs. I just my theory is not, you know, do you take them high? Do you not take them high? My theory is that you take the running back when you have everything in place that he can hit. All his carries matter. I just don't want to give away carries. They only have so many carries in their body and I want them all to matter and to count for something. So I just don't know if the Raiders team wise are there at this point in time where that would make as much sense to me. That's, you know, more kind of a finishing piece than one of those early pieces there. So I mean we've we've kind of seen it with the Giants with Sequon Barkley, Like we saw a Saquon Barkley on the team that wasn't ready for him, and then we saw a Saquon Barkley with the team that was ready made. And you can see the impact in the and the and the value there. So I just that would be my one, my one counter argument there, even though I have gent as the third best player in the draft real quick.
Speaker 64: With Chip ca Ally's offense, Uh, between the three quarterbacks, who would be a good fit.
Speaker 2: For it, I think she door fits it really well. I think he I think he sees the field well. I think you make good decisions. You know, Chip can get play out there with tight ends. Now you know we've seen his offense morph and change over the years, So I just think he'd be able to, uh get them in the right play, get them where they want to be, and and uh and deliver the ball accurately, make good decisions. So that's why that one, Uh, that one I've I've had I think for a couple of times there of that being the fit and I think should or not necessarily having a huge, huge arm, you know in uh in that division and in that home stadium. That's it doesn't matter. He's got plenty of armed to do everything he needs to do there.
Speaker 9: Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: Most question is from Mark Wiser of the Athens bar Banner Hrald.
Speaker 65: Hey, Daniel, you alluded to another big Georgia draft class, safety Dan Jackson, did not get one of their fourteen combine invites. Did that surprise you? And what value do you see it in him at the next level?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised because he had a good week at the Senior Bowl. You know, he had a couple of big hits both in practice and in the game. So that one I caught me a little bit off guard. Now he's he's not the he's not the biggest guy in terms of the you know, the witwity weigh here. He was one hundred and ninety four pounds, so yeah, he's five eleven six, so just under six foot, one hundred and ninety four pounds. But tape wise, I mean I had him in like the fifth round is the grade that I gave him. You know, he's got a quick pedal, can plant and drive big hits on tape as well is at the Senior Bowl. He plays with a physical presence, takes good angles. There are some misses, yeah, some ricochet misses just because he doesn't wrap up, but it's not for a lack of throwing himself in there. But I thought he saw the field well and I also thought he had a little value as a blitzer, So yeah, I thought he was. I think he's definitely aftable player. Was a little surprised he didn't get invite and quickly for.
Speaker 65: George offensive Linement at the combine. Thoughts on Tate Radledge, Jared Wilson, Dylan Fairchild, and Xavier Truss.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll I'll go through him here. Wilson to me is the is the top one of the bunch as a center wide base. He plays with strong hands, he's he takes good angles the second level, real firm, He's aware on twists and games. He can recover and stay attached. I think he was an elite athlete. He just doesn't really get beat and he's a He's a good solid player. Rattledge was you know at right guard, he can it's more of a ceiling position blocker. Takes good angles, but kind of more all upper body, just wrestle the side note watching that Florida tape with the Florida's got that four hundred pounds defensive tackle and uh hit that that defensive tackle. Threw him around a little bit, but had some initial pop. Just didn't do a really good job of sustaining trusts. Uh and I had him kind of as a down the line guy. Trusts right tackle position blocker some right guard as well. Just plays a little bit high, struggles to change direction. Didn't think he was able to really bend and sync all that well, but does flash some power and can can pull and kick out again. Day three guy for me, and then we got Fairchild. Was that the last one? Yeah, Yeah, that's right Fairchild left guard, strong hands, does a good job. Hework in his hands, can control the point of attack. Just a little bit stiff again, plays a little bit high, looks for work, just a little bit limited athletically. So I thought Wilson was on a different tier personally than the rest of them, But uh uh, they're all going to get picked thanks much. Sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Joanne Coley of Commander's Game Day.
Speaker 9: Hi, DJ, how you doing doing great?
Speaker 66: So, you know the Commanders the offensive line has been a weak spot this season and they're also and they're also in need of a solid number two that's been a big top. So from your perspective, what's your offensive lineman and the draft commit like an immediate impact? And are there any wide receivers can step in that number to roll and compliment Terry McLaurin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll start with the receivers. Yeah, there's there's definitely receivers. Uh, you know, they're picking at the bottom of the first round there at pick twenty nine. I would love to run the card up for either Golden or a BUCA Luther Burden as we haven't talked about him yet. He's in that mix. You know, teams will have those guys in different orders, but I think any of those three guys would be uh, you know, good, good complimentary players.
Speaker 9: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Third one, which with Luther Burden from Missouri. Oh yeah, yeah, so I compared him to Stefan Diggs coming out of college. You know, real quick athletic slot. A lot of quick hitters really strong hands, great body control. It's got some burst and make miss after the catch. You know, his production dip this year, his yards per catch dipped, but it was more more of a result of kind of some bad balls coming his way and just not getting you know, as many opportunities. So he's someone that if he has a good spring, he might not even be there when they pick. But those are those are some options there that at the bottom of the first round I think would would make a lot of sense. And then what was the other position you were asking about for immediate.
Speaker 9: Help our offensive line?
Speaker 2: Yeah, offensive line wise, you know, same guys we've kind of mentioned, Donovan Jackson, Gray's Abel. Those would be a couple that would be plugging play guys right out the jump if they were to be there there at pick number twenty nine. And then from you know, a tackle perspective, you know, you start getting into you know, Simmons if he were to be there, he's he's coming off of an injury, but he is out of Ohio State. He's man, he's ready to go. He could he could start right away.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Jamal at News for Jackson Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 67: Hey, DJ want to ask you about a couple of the guys that are from Jacksonville, Pat Bryan out of Illinois and Jalen Rivers from Miami going to be up there at the combine. What have you seen from those guys where you think they could end up in the draft.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's start first of all with Pat Bryant. I gave him a third round grade. There's a there's a big clump of receivers in there though, so you're going to see some of these guys, you know, fall beyond that. But outside he's uh, you know, wins on a lot of slants. He's an excellent adjuster down the field. It's one of my favorite things about him. He's a hands catcher, only one drop on the year. He's strong with the ball in his hands after the catch, he can win early with his release, and I love the toughness to work in traffic and kind of win some of those combat catches.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I love the size that he has. I just think he'd be a great fit there as a third round pick. And then Rivers from Miami. You know, obviously you start with the size, massive left tackle out there. He is, uh, you know, he He's one that I've said this about some of the linement, but just needs to play a little lower. It can get a little bit tall, a little bit high, and that struggles with some of the redirect things, you know, against counters and things like that. But can move, you know, outside, can pull and seal as a pass protector. He's a little bit of a scooper with his hands, kind of an underhook scooper. Some guys are you know, better at that than others, but you don't see that quite as much. But he's someone that I thought was a Day three pick early Day three with a ton of side, ton of upside and.
Speaker 67: Hey, one quick follow up.
Speaker 42: The Jaguars sitting at.
Speaker 67: Five, where do you think they could go to a guy to like Ted McMillan work to pair with BTJ.
Speaker 2: That's a little higher than I have him, but I have him as a top receiver, so you know they could, man, you'd have you'd have two power forward types. I mean, he's got unbelievable body control in hands to go play above the rim like red zone weapon Drake London esque. He just a real, real smooth mover. So yeah, I have him as the fifteenth players. I mean, gosh, I guess that's not that. That's not that far remove from where I haven't grated, So I think you could make that argument. That'd be a fun pairing. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with the rest of this year's NFL Scouting Combine Conference call.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Alan Alford of sports talk show in Tampa.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Daniel for doing this, really appreciate it.
Speaker 20: Thank you so much.
Speaker 68: And so my question is, you know Hall of Famer Deion Sanders coach Prime did say that Sador Sanders he doesn't want his son playing for four teams. That's the Browns, the Titans, the Jets, and Bears. Will this cause an issue, Let's say, if he does want to get taken by one of those teams.
Speaker 2: Is that like new news? By the way, I hadn't seen that.
Speaker 69: It's something that you know, his dad basically said that, Hey, I don't want him going to these four teams.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's so new, but it's something that his.
Speaker 20: Dad put out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know I.
Speaker 69: Have him going eleventh. I know you haven't gone eleventh, but Jess, in case something does happen, you know it's a draft.
Speaker 4: How do you feel that might play itself out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, look I have I haven't seen all all of it to to wrap my head around it. But you know, look, I think if you're a team and you know, somebody doesn't want to doesn't want to play for you at that position, it's kind of a big deal. I don't know that I would you know, I don't know that I would fight City Hall on that one if someone really was adamant about not wanting to play there. So again it's it's you know, that would be kind of unique. But uh, I do think that Dion is Dion's right and smart from the standpoint that fit is incredibly important. And you know, we look at all these different quarterbacks last year, you know, just watching the you know, the Sam Darnold last year, seeing Baker Mayfield for the last couple of years, you have seen you know, where you are matters and fit matters. Uh, It's extremely important. So you know, if that's what, if that's what Dion said or did, I would totally I would totally understand his uh, you know, his reasoning for wanting to make sure that his son end up on the right spot. So that's the parent side of it, and then from the team side of it, I just don't think you. I don't think you're gonna want to bring in somebody that doesn't necessarily want to be there. So again I haven't seen the report. I haven't seen the information yet, but that would be my reaction to it.
Speaker 4: And just a quick fill up on it.
Speaker 69: Do you think maybe the dad maybe she could reconsider that position?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think. I mean, look, Dion's is gonna you know, Dion's not the average you know, coach or dad like he knows the NFL inside.
Speaker 36: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't think that Dion would speak or say something without doing his homework and and uh and saying it with conviction. So I wouldn't want to be the person who's going to try and change Dion's mind if he's if he's said that publicly, then I know he's you know, he's done his homework on that and and I wouldn't imagine that would change.
Speaker 12: Appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thank you sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Ellie May Williamson and Tennessee.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 26: Thanks for having this whole call. It's been very informative. You already mentioned the Tennessee players and how you stood on each one of them. But which one would you feel is more strong for this combine and this setup. I know you mentioned a lot and Pierce teams being not too sure about him, and then also Sampson, But what do you see from that group of six coming to coming.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm hoping Pierce does everything because he sure as heck plays explosive and fast, so I would imagine he would test extremely well. I'm you know on Samson, you know, just and talking to guys around the league and everything and are familiar with with his training and stuff that you know he's he plays extremely fast and explosive, but might not the testing might not, so you know, just in terms of him ripping off a four to three or something like that. So the one that would the one that would entice me and intrigue me the most, would would absolutely be Pierced.
Speaker 26: Okay, thank you, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Next question is Adam West with the Saints question.
Speaker 2: Hi, DJ, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 52: Always really appreciate you man, just from kind of knowing when I know the Saints really feel and Emmer were potentially adding Will Johnson and Tatoro McMillan potentially at nine. You kind of spoke to why Will Johnson may be there, and I think prior to this season, the idea of those two players being there at nine kind of seeing Ludigrits going by like three mock drafts, but he maybe talk about you know, Will Johnson's twenty twenty three of like what he would bring as a player, and in tetaroa as I think you made the Drake London comparison is kind of what I see him as of like what he would bring to an offense if he was the pick at nine for the Saints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I again, I think that comes down to the personnel department and the coaching staff getting on the same page. The reason why I haven't had them going with a skill player is just just based off of where Kellen was coming from as a as a head coach. But you know, you get together with the personnel department there and they'll come up with the best plan. But you know, Will Will has got I mean, he is central casting for what you want a corner to look like. He is, he is tall, he's he's rangy, He's a fluid athlete, fluid mover, he's got really really good eyes, He's got excellent ball skills, So that's where you start. That's a really good foundation. And I think in twenty three I just thought there was a little more physicality to him than we saw this year. So you know, that's you know, it is what it is. And then I just thought guys got on top of him a couple times this year, and that could be just you know, it could be not necessarily have to be a speed thing, can be a focus thing. And you know, they played a lot of games the year before. Obviously the team was in a different position. You know, it wasn't as good of a team. It's all coming off of a long season. He knows, you know, he's going to be a top fifteen pick going into the year, and so you know, I can understand how maybe it didn't match what we'd seen previously. But then you get to McMillan. You know, again just mentioned him and talking about him a minute ago. The size is outstanding, the body, controlling ball skills are as good as you're going to see. There were some I didn't talk about really the negatives with him last time, but there are some times just on backside of routes. I don't really see him busting it all the time, So you know, I'd like to see that just be a little bit more consistent and competitive with each with each rep in that regard. But someone who can man, he can play above the rim in a big, big way. They'd have some fun with him, especially down there in the red area. But you know, I just I just think that it'd be curious to see we call it copycat league, people paying attention to the teams that are playing well and winning and coming off of a Super Bowl that was just dominated at the line of scrimmage, and you have the coach who was involved in that game. That's why I was leaning more towards that that side of things than a skill guy.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, man sure.
Speaker 3: Next question is from Bleacher Reports Authentic.
Speaker 70: Hey, thanks for taking the time, DJ. So, I wanted to piggyback off of what Ryan dun leavy was talking about, where you have the New York Giants possibly passing up on Shador Sanders, and if that is a possibility, how do you see them addressing a quarterback and free agency considering that they have a coach and a general manager on the hot seat and no quarterbacks on the roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I was just you know, that was the whole Stafford theory, you know, of you know that that's the one that that was floating around, and that's why I went that way with the with the mock draft. In terms of other options, I don't think Sam Donold's probably going to be in a hurry to run back to New York. But know that's that's the best option in terms of the talent that uh that is out there and a team that needs to you know, you mentioned it. It's kind of tricky because you want to get your quarterback of the future, but there's some there's some pressure at least from the outside, not knowing anything on the inside to uh, you know, to to have a good year next year. So you know, relying on a young guy there can be a little bit tricky, but uh, you know, the the veteran options, that's gosh, somehow, trading for Matt Stafford would be way way, uh way way up there for me in the short term, at least with Sam Darnold being I just don't see that as a uh as a possibility there you're looking at, you know, potentially Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, you know, there's a whole lot of other guys. But uh, yeah, it's not it's it's a lot of people have said this and and not just my opinion, but you know, talking to a lot of people around the league. Man, it's not coming off of a year last year we had all those quarterbacks. Sometimes it's not just you know, it's not just if you're bad, it's when you're bad. And there's just not as many of those options this year.
Speaker 70: And just secondly, I wanted to ask you about a couple of prospects here on my shoe content for the University of Maryland. So I wanted your take where these two guys might go in the draft. It would be a ty Felton and Caden Prayed through the two wide receivers. And then also just wanted to get your opinion on a save you on Williams out of at TCU.
Speaker 2: Sure I'll do SAVI on Williams. First of all, is uh, he's a fun dude to watch man, like just all the different ways that they use him, just like a jumbo athlete does the wildcat stuff, you know, plays receiver. You know, he's just he's a. He's a big, strong, athletic, physical dude, and you know it's to me it just drops more than anything else had the eight drops this year, so you know, cleaning that stuff up. But he's a fun he's a fun, fun toy to play with in terms of all the different things that he can do and how they use him. There, Uh, the Maryland guys talking about those two wide receivers. With Felton, you know, productive can play inside outside, he can you know he can. He can wall guys off in traffic, he can build speed, he's fearless working in the middle of the field. He can go up and get it and high point the football. So I thought he played a little bit bigger than his size. And then with Prayther, Prayther has that size outside, you know, wins on a lot of shallow crossers quick screens, only had one drop. I just didn't know if he really had that second gear. So I'm anxious to see him run, but does a really nice job using his body shield guys off, wall guys off with that big frame.
Speaker 70: Well what round do you foresee those guys being drafted impossibly?
Speaker 2: Yep? I had Felton his third third round again, as a big clump of those guys. Third, fourth round and then it was more fifth round for me with prayther appreciate it sure.
Speaker 3: Last few questions here Mookie Hawkins and Buffalo DJ.
Speaker 2: My guys going good. What's up man?
Speaker 71: Not much man? You know, I'll see uh tuesday up in up in Indie. Man. But Bills at thirty lots of lots of help on that defensive line, whether defensive edge, de tackle, cornerback, safety. Which route do you think that the Bills would go at pick thirty?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they too bad. They can't go all the above, right, I mean this is this is a team that it's just got to get better on third down, get off the field, find ways to get off the field. So I'm always gonna lean front to back versus back to front, so you know, looking at options for them they can get after the quarterback and you know, make a difference from that standpoint, that's that's the direction that I would go. So if I'm pulling up, I've talked about Zaruku is kind of an interesting one that's talked a ton about him from BC. Some of it just knows how to win and it can really rush the quarterback, You've got more, you know, Shamar Stewart gives you more of that upside, a little bit raw, but just big time, big time explosiveness. You've you've got the options to trade back a little bit if you want. And now you kind of get into like the Land and Jackson area out of Arkansas. So those are you know, some of those edge rushers the DT's. I love Derek Harmon from Oregon as a fit there, someone who can who can disrupt, run and pass play on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I think I think there's a chance he's there. That would be, uh, that would be a fun way to add to their mix.
Speaker 71: Absolutely, And on the flip side of Bill's don't really need too much on the offensive side, but that I think they do need a playmaker. But my guy Authentic mentioned it first. How would a guy such as a Savedan Wims fit in this Bill's offense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think you're looking at like, you know, Debo's a little bit of the of the uh, you know, path that you would try and follow there. He's not refined like you're gonna have to be patient, like you're gonna just try and find ways to get on the ball. Right now, we're gonna give him a reverse. We're gonna get him a bubble. You know, We're gonna let him do some you know, if you want to take a little off Josh. I'm sure Josh probably end up getting a new contract here before too long. You want to take a little bit of that off him, you can give him some reps back there down the goal line. Let him take that abuse as a runner. But in terms of developing him and polishing him up as a receiver, that's going to require a little bit of patience. All right, my god, I appreciate you. Save travels. Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going back to Mexico here, Oscar Cleariga.
Speaker 72: Hello, thank you very much. Hell up from Mexico, Daniel, nice to see you again. You see topic you talked early in This is Soon Cold about the connection between Chip Kelly and Dylan Gabriel. If I don't remember wrong, wasn't Jucla.
Speaker 2: That's where that's right. He went there and then was only there for a couple of weeks. Chip left and then Dylan Gabriel ended up transferring to Oregon. So I knew, I knew it was deep in the recesses of my mind, I knew there was the connection there. Thank you for bringing that to light.
Speaker 72: Now, thanks to you, and I have a couple of questions. The first one what is your opinion about Jalen Milroe, the QB of Alabama. And the other one, you know here in Mexico we have a great fan base the Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsrooll Steelers. How looks to you the scenario for this couple of teams, the Petrol Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys. Thank you very much, have a great.
Speaker 2: Date, Thank you very much. With Milroe, again, we talked about him just a little bit earlier there. You know as a as a runner, he's the elite, elite, elite, like that's the best trait that anybody has in this quarterback class, is his ability as a runner. Just going to take some time and patience and development with him in the past game, you know, just in terms of again, a lot of it's mechanically just cleaning some of those things up, kitchen cleats in the ground, et cetera. But a lot to work with there, and it's again you're going to have to have a real plan there. I've mentioned. I think the Steelers were one of the teams you were mentioning. If the Steelers did decide to resign Justin Fields and make him their quarterback going forward, I wouldn't I wouldn't mind Mary and Milroe up with him. You know, you got him Milroe potentially in like the third round, and you want to you want to just become a physical, you know, pounded team to go out and get a dynamic runner in this draft, which you can find. I know, Naji's a free agent. I like to see him get a little more explosive in the backfield, but having having Milroe to kind of develop behind Fields would be kind of fun, just to really go all in on that approach. And then with the Cowboys, you know what they're gonna do. This is this is uh, you know more than anything else with them draft wise is one thing. But a lot of people in the league are curious about the Micah Parsons thing. You know, are they going to pay him as it's going to get done? What happens with him? Uh? That could go a long way and determining what they look like defensively, but they they were pretty god awful last year on that side. Of the ball, so you know, finding some help up front O digazuas as a free agent as well, so defensive tackle and a very rich defensive tackle draft. That was that was a direction I could see them looking.
Speaker 72: Okay, perfect, Thank you very much.
Speaker 34: Have a great day, you.
Speaker 3: Too, hey, last two questions. This man has been very patient. Zinny Abraham you're up.
Speaker 7: Hey, DJ how you doing good?
Speaker 2: Good to see you, buddy, to.
Speaker 32: See you too, man Hey. Quick update audible. As of five hours ago, BMW Sports and Sporting News reported that Dion Sanders himself said that the Titans, the Browns, and the Giants are the only ones he wants to do to talk to. Now, okay, yeah, now, three bagger question. First of all, Browns fans have been screaming, Hey, some of them they want Mailson Graham Mason Graham as the two pick because they want to pease my moles Garrett. I want your thoughts on that. And then for the I public prefer the called the Oakland Las Vegas Raiders, as you know, uh why not Ashton gentry falling to that place your thoughts. By the way, one more thing today is Woodson's birthday.
Speaker 2: Go Bears. What team is going to Oh, he can go to my team. I wish I had one. I like him. He's he's one of my guys here in this draft class. So I he'll find his way somewhere in the third round, fourth round. But he's a good player when it comes to uh genty you were saying there with the Raiders right if genty there? Yeah, the only thing I would just be is, is you know, is this team ready to uh to take off right now? Because I'm just not big on using using up what are limited carries running back has in his life span on a team that's not ready to win right now. I almost would rather kind of build up the rest of the infrastructure and then kind of drop the quarterback or to drop the electric running back in there at that point in time, so that every single one of his carries is helping us you know where we want to go?
Speaker 32: Are you saying then that Pete Carroll is not equipped to make the team ready?
Speaker 2: I think I think where their roster is presently and where there's three playoff teams inside their own division, that they are Pete Carroll. I love Pete Carroll and he's a good coach with a winning pedigree. And I'm excited to see what spy Tech does there. Who's is a good personnel guy. I do not think they are one off season away from climbing the mountain inside their division.
Speaker 4: So I have them go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh the Raiders, Well there you go from your lips to God's ears. My brother in law is a Raiders fan, and he'll be very excited to hear that. Thank you. But and then with with Mason Graham, you know, to me with Cleveland at two, you know, the quarterback thing is just I flirted with the idea of giving them somebody other than a quarterback, and I did it in the first mock draft, and i'd heard, you know, consideration with you know, with Cousins is a is a possibility there because the familiarity with him, as well as the price tag, which would be next to nothing, similar to what we had last year in Pittsburgh with Russell Wilson with another team you know, paying the bill. But gosh, I mean, they've they're one of there. They're one of those teams that I just think that if cam Ward was there, I just have I would have a time thinking Cleveland would pass on him.
Speaker 32: I'm going a sure take on this. I'd ask you why is Jamis Winston not better than Kirk Cousins given the season Cousins down here had down here in Atlanta and the fact that, hey, look, offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey got fired and he messed up his footwork all with season long. It was just awesome, awful what he did with Winston and Watson and the other quarterbacks. And he should have got fired. So I mean, how can you justify bereing Cousins, you know, to the Browns.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious, YEP. I would say because Kirk Cousins. I would say Jamis Winston's best season was probably would you know, Kirk Cousins has probably had seven seasons better than his best season. And I would say last year, Kirk Cousins was not coming off of a healthy year. Kirk Cousins couldn't move at all. They did. It was a terrible fit. It was a terrible match. It didn't work out.
Speaker 32: James was The best year was twenty twenty one under Sean Payton. Fourteen touchdowns, three interceptions. That was better than anything Kirk Cousins ever posted.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, I'll pull up Kirk Ki. I want to do right now. But I can promise you Kirk Cousins has had has had much better seasons than fourteen touchdowns.
Speaker 26: Drink?
Speaker 2: How's that? What's up? Okay, we're going to get to.
Speaker 3: The last question here, but I appreciate that, Zenny. Last question Darnell's Salins from Playmaker's Blog.
Speaker 9: Hello, Dan, thank you for doing this. My question is about the Rams. I see in your latest March Drugs you had Darius Alexander from Toledo at the twenty six spot. Do you see him as a as a fit for the Rams or do you see the Rams can possibly go offense with that pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Darius Alexander. You know, he is a little bit older, which we'll see some teams care about that more than others. But just in terms of body type, like range, explosive, that's kind of what the The Rams have got a bunch of explosive defenders, and they've they've added to that bunch. It's I think it's the best young defensive line in the NFL. And I you know, I was kind of just and maybe some of it's the newness of watching the Super Bowl and just seeing the waves of guys that Philly had, But you know, man, you just go get another twitchy, explosive, dynamic guy. I've kind of wrote down on my paper when I was watching defensive linemen this year, the ones I circled back on after the Super Bowl was over, and I just wrote the word like I just wrote vet vet on my sheet, and I just said, you know, look at your notes on a player and if you see the words, you know, violent, explosive, twitchy, over and over and over again, like looking for vets, like those are the guys that I think you want, because that's what we just saw win the Super Bowl. So that's why that's why I had that fit there. And if they were going to go in another direction, you know, there could be a little bit of a makeover there in their receiver room, so you know, a Mecca Buca if he were to get there, I think that one makes a lot of sense for him. He'd be a great fit and someone who would just be plug and play for a team that's ready to win right now. And I would say the same thing for Matthew Golden. So those would be guys I would love for the Rams. Thank you, DG.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Two hours and forty five minutes. You have certainly done your communications duty for today, so thank you and for everybody that's still on. A transcript and video of today's call will be posted later on the NFL Media account on x so check that out. And if you need anything from the communications apartment, just send me an email and we'll get it to you. Thanks. DJ really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody, Thank you guys, Thanks for coming. We'll see you soon. All right, Well, there you go. That's going to do it. These are always long. I won't use the word exhausting because it's fun. I love talking about these players, love talking about these teams, and it is shaping up to be quite an interesting draft. Hope you guys will join us for all of our Combine coverage where you're home for it here on NFL Network and the NFL Media Group. The guys will have a podcast coming your way as well throughout the week to keep you on formed on all the goings on in Indianapolis. So we appreciate you, appreciate you you being with us and joining us each and every time right here on. Move the sticks.