Speaker 1: Welcome back. I'm Dale Allie. He is the Matt Williamson and Matt. The first week of or free agency is pretty much in the books here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just what do you think things were? To call them down?
Speaker 1: Not even like the full week.
Speaker 2: But we've we're it's Friday, It's Friday.
Speaker 1: It's Friday.
Speaker 2: But Keenan Allen got traded, three quarterbacks got traded, a big draft trade already. I mean like things are happening left and right still.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about let's take a look here at the AFC North and see we're.
Speaker 2: Not worth us mocking it up today?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not today next week?
Speaker 2: Uh so? Or even looking at marks, yeah, traded.
Speaker 1: What teams have added, what teams have gotten rid of thus far in free agency? So I'm looking here, CBS Sports has these kind of broken down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, NFL dot Com actually does a good job with it.
Speaker 1: Two yeah, uh so for the Ravens, who they give an a minus for their moves this year rich thus far, here's what they've done. They've added Derrick Henry and I do like that for them. They re signed Justin Matta Bouquet and Nelson Aguilar, but.
Speaker 2: They franchise Mattabuke or they extend.
Speaker 1: They franchised him and then extend.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's locked up. I wasn't sure about that second part. Okay.
Speaker 1: They then they have lost Gus Edwards, Yeah, John Simpson, Gino Stone, Patrick Queen, and their long snapper Tyler Rott. Okay, Queen an a minus for that.
Speaker 2: And there's some guys like Zeitler still out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, like you, I get that. Those the signings that they've made are big.
Speaker 2: They are big ones. I mean, losing Edwards for Henry is a win. Yeah. Of course they knew Stone and Queen were leaving a year ago. I mean they've drafted, accordingly.
Speaker 1: Someone a replacement for Simpson.
Speaker 2: They don't, and they trade.
Speaker 1: What's not on here is you know they traded Morgan Moses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they also don't mention Odell's still up. Yeah. I'm talking about the receiver position. It's pretty light right now outside of a Flowers, Agalar and Bateman, which is okay, but it's not great. Not that Odell was great. I's trying to think something else. Did they cut Marcus Williams too? I thought they did early in the process. Maybe I'm wrong. On that. I don't believe that they did and now, because I would have been talking about him as a potential stealer signing way back. So scratch that. So he's still there. Okay, so they're still fine at safety. Their own line to me is the concern troublesome is real troublesome.
Speaker 1: You're down three of your starters right now.
Speaker 2: And one of the remaining is Stanley. Yeah, you know, so it's Stanley and Linderbaum are the only guys retained from last year's starters. Mccary's good, and he'll probably end up being one of the stars. Okay, that's three, that's three, But I think Stanley's more like a half at this point. Yeah, I mean he would him out of game.
Speaker 1: You can't go in and counting on him to be He was rotating with McCary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So mccary's either be a guard or your right tackle, but he's not as good guys who played with last.
Speaker 1: And do you think Stanley can get through a full season?
Speaker 2: That would really really worry me. And so they're at least two linemen a way from really putting together a starting group. They did make one pick. Remember the vour He's kid from USC a year ago. He was the zenter of that class. Yeah, you know it was new, not as good as the enter, but they knew he wasn't gona play all his rookie years, so you got him a couple of rounds later. He's a pure guard. People talked about him like he could have been a second round pick if he was clean. So maybe they're counting on him as one of the spots.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm sure I have done a lot of workouts for them. No, right, right, or you know, you didn't have a lot of tape to go off of.
Speaker 2: But it's not a big deal. But I don't think they brought back Huntley either. I'm not sure who their backup quarterback.
Speaker 1: Is, right. They just signed Josh Johnson.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess that's good enough. But he's almost our age. Yeah he's on his hundred team. Okay. I mean I wouldn't give him an a minus. I don't think Derrick Henry shot, which surprises me to no end. I thought he had a really good year.
Speaker 1: He's also not what he wants was No, no, no, he's not the best pat He's now human No, right, right, I mean he was in a really rough situation last year and did pretty well.
Speaker 2: They're a good team. I don't think it's an A minus off season to this point, not to this point. And they're picking late, of course, you know, but their.
Speaker 1: Draft will get an eight plus what No doubt the Bengals key additions Geno Stone, Zach Moss, Mike KISICKI uh n Bell. He resigning t Higgins, Drew Sample, Cody Ford dead. They also did resign Von Bell. I don't look at that though.
Speaker 2: I think the safety thing is the best thing they did all off season.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I mean they got they they basically got two new safeties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one of which was only gone for a year. Von Bell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So but he's old, he is old heels, but he's smart and I think they're going to move Dax Hill to corner.
Speaker 1: That works.
Speaker 2: It was Bengals off season or Bengals season is easy to dismiss of. They went back a step because Burrow got hurt and he wasn't the same, But the defense took a massive step backwards too. Like that one was not very explainable, but a lot of it was because the safeties, I mean the more you dig into it, they asked their safeties to do so much late rotations and all kinds of different assignments that this time last year they scrapped both their starters and went with two new safeties and that was an awful experiment for them. Yeah, So I think it is telling that they went out and got two veterans that are known for their intelligence.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that was the entire problem though.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the entire problem though.
Speaker 1: Because people they do things. Teams were running the ball at will on them.
Speaker 2: Especially when Reader got hurt. Yeah, yeah, and I don't think. I also don't think their defense is super talented. I mean, it's fine. They don't have a right tackle yet though.
Speaker 1: Right, they don't have a right tackle. Joana Williams signed a two year, thirty million dollar deal. He's gone.
Speaker 2: He's a Pardner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen million dollars a year for Jon.
Speaker 2: I know, and then they cut Humphreys. I'd rather Humphreys, but I mean I know that there's a contract stuff there.
Speaker 1: But that got a B from CBS, just a straight b. Okay, I guess because the key departures were Joe Mixon, Well, they replaced him with Zach Moss. That's probably an even swap at this time, a woozy A you didn't replace.
Speaker 2: No, I think Hill's going to go to corner there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Irv Smith.
Speaker 2: Is him and Giseck you are the same and they don't use them anyways. Yeah, so they still have a whole right tackle which probably easily could be their first round pick. I mean there will be somebody available and Reader is now a lion. Yeah, so I don't know what the plan is there, but I don't see one.
Speaker 1: For Cleveland. The key additions are Jerry Judy, yeah, very overrated and Jameis Winston.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The key re signings there is a Darius Smith and guard Michael Dunn that doesn't move now done to backup key departures se Ony Tacky Tacky, Anthony Weaver or Walker I should say, cornerback Mike Ford. They haven't lost a lot yet.
Speaker 2: They haven't done much period.
Speaker 1: They haven't done anything either. And Jerry Judy to me, but they re they redid his contract.
Speaker 2: But it looks like stend him. Well.
Speaker 1: It looks like what they did was kick some money into future years as.
Speaker 2: They've because he's playing on his fifth year tag.
Speaker 1: He's playing on his fifty year tag, and they lowered that number down to like two and a half million or something like that. So it looks like they pushed some voidable years in there just to get.
Speaker 2: Which is what they do. They're they're cash spending is always through the roof Watson.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't it's not much different really, No, and they don't have a first run draft pick.
Speaker 2: Trying to think there's any other small moves they made, I don't think. I mean, the defense is going to be pretty close to be the same.
Speaker 1: They got a B plus for that much B plus.
Speaker 2: Judy doesn't matter if he was going to opponent or the Steelers higher. I mean, he is a very overrated player. Yeah, he's a he's a wide receiver three in my opinion.
Speaker 1: He's a wide receiver three with a wide receiver one's attitude.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he's is great.
Speaker 1: He think he is, Yeah, I saw. I mean that whole incident last year was Steve Smith. He's screaming and yelling at Steve Smith on the sidelines just completely turned me off on that guy.
Speaker 2: No, I hear it, I hear it. And people think because he's got such quick feet, and he's got all I guess he's got all these YouTube videos and tiktoks and stuff. They think he's a great route runner. He's not. He's a very sloppy route runner.
Speaker 1: For the Steelers, they got to be with the additions of Russell Wilson, Patrick Queen, Dante Jackson, and they don't have.
Speaker 2: Let's the pick a trade is on there.
Speaker 1: That's that Tray's not on here, nor is the safety signing, the key resigning Myles killerbrew departures, Mitch Trubisky chooks a corps for Deontay Johnson. So really, I mean, of the of the departures, the only one that you're looking at saying that that that hurts is Deontae Johnson, of course, but you got a cornerback for him.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I think Armani Watts is a.
Speaker 1: Loss your audition at quarterback.
Speaker 2: Much have Wilson and Trubisky. It's kind of like Henry for Edwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how is that any different?
Speaker 2: Right exactly?
Speaker 1: And you and you added Patrick Queen and a second team All Pro.
Speaker 2: Linebacker, right, No, you definitely gained more than you lost.
Speaker 1: I don't get why that's a b in the in the Ravens are an A minus.
Speaker 2: We also haven't mentioned that Adams has been assigned. That made me happy. I thought you did a really good year. I think you're done at nose. I don't know if you're done at D line. I think you're done at no Adams can play either, yeah, yeah, which I think is what they want from them.
Speaker 1: That's what they want, that flexibility.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know that they would draft sweat now or you know, a three hundred and thirty pound guy. Yeah, I think they're more likely to take the A or a roar hero who had a which he had his day yesterday, Rooke call him Rooke. Yeah, but I think that's the style if they're going to add a D line used the force roupe. Yeah, so, I I just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, grades are grades, and be fine now, they're subjective. I get it.
Speaker 2: It's just like draft grades. I really don't think any grades matter. And oh, by the way, it's like a poker hand and some has all aces and some has nothing in their hands. You know, how well do you play your hand is more important to me. Jimmy Garoppolo just signed with the Rams. Oh, Okay, that makes sense the bill.
Speaker 1: So just could take a look at some of the other AFC teams, Yeah, especially the contenders. They get a C plus for signing Mitch Trubisky, linebacker Nicholas Morrow, and wide receiver Curtis Samuel. Also resigning Dion Dawkins, David Edwards, Taylor Repp, aj Ipanessa, and day Kwon Jones. But they lost Gabe Davis, Leonard Floyd, Jordan Poyer, Sarron Neil, Deontay Hardy, Mitch Morris, Nim Hinz, Cam Lewis, and Jordan Poyer.
Speaker 2: I think they're going backwards. I wouldn't give them.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a C plus.
Speaker 2: I think you even said it was a B. I think it's like a C minus.
Speaker 1: It's like five of the guys that were listed, there are starters that they lost.
Speaker 2: Like I like the Daikon Jones re signing, and you know he's quality player, but both your safeties are gone to Davis White's gone, Mitch Morris is gone. I really think this is like Diggs could be gone soon. Yeah. I really feel like this is phase two of the Josh Allen era. It starts this year. It's gonna be a lot different.
Speaker 1: Looking here at Denver. Denver gets an F and F, which I get because their key additions safety Brandon Jones, defensive tackle Malcolm Roach, who could walk in here right now punch us both in the face and I wouldn't know who he is. Yeah, their key resigning safety p J. Locke, same thing. Yeah, you see kicker Will Watts and fullback Michael Burton. Your key, one of your key resignings is a full back.
Speaker 2: And a kicker. And the kicker and the safety we've never.
Speaker 1: Heard of, and a safety nobody's ever heard of. K departre is Justin Simmons, Sure, Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: And not only is he a departure, but you're paying him a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're paying him for somebody else to play him. Jerry Judy, Lloyd Cushionberry and Josie Jewel. That's five starters.
Speaker 2: I bet if we asked most listeners to name ten Broncos, five of them would have well been five.
Speaker 1: Brandon Jones, Malcolm Roach, p ch A Lock, Will Watson, Michael Burton would be five of five of the ten.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean the five that walked out the door, including Wilson would have been those people's answers.
Speaker 1: They would have been the dudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they might pick first.
Speaker 1: Overall, they're gonna be pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna be pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Uh. The Houston Texans. Everybody's raving about what they've done. They've done some good things. Yeah, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: And then they made it a strange trade today though. Yeah, I'm not sure what they gained.
Speaker 1: From that two next year I guess was fine, big thing, Yeah it was. It was a Matt Williamson trade. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: It is? But I wouldn't have traded out of the top twenty five today without knowing who's there. Yeah, you know, I mean my one thought on it was maybe because they added some.
Speaker 1: Of these names, are about think the rookie was gonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, let's kick some of our assets down down the road a little bit for next year maybe, you know, when they're they have less cap space.
Speaker 1: So they they acquired Joe Mixon, HM signed Danielle Hunter signed, Denico signed, Aziz Al Shaier. Those three are the ones I really like, Lonnie Johnson and Jeff Akuda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Akuda's worth a shot. Yeah, but those front seven players they add Shahir played for him under the Niners, you know, and Autrey's a big power in Daniel Hunters, a perfect compliment to Anderson. Their front seven got noticeably better.
Speaker 1: Their key resignings Dalton, Schultzen, Kyr Fairbairn. Okay, yeah, their quality player, I mean, and they lost Devin Singletary, Jonathan Greenard, Blake Cashman while they replaced all three of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if I'd rather mix Inner Singletary who cares really? Yeah? They maybe he'll use a third round pick on the back.
Speaker 1: The Colts key addition. This is the Colt's key addition Joe Flacco, which is a weird backup too, by the way, it doesn't fit.
Speaker 2: Doesn't fit at all except for the mentorship, the age, and he played pretty well last year, but he's nothing like Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 1: Key re signings Michael Pittman, Taekwon, Lewis Zaier, Franklin, Grover Stewart, Kenny Moore, and punter Rigoberto Sanchez. A key departures is what the Colts do.
Speaker 2: Though they resign their own, they don't go outside very often.
Speaker 1: Gardner, Minshew Zach Moss and Isaiah McKenzie are the losses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're all homegrown talent. Yeah, we would get a little frustrating. I mean, I know the Steelers did that for a lot of years, but times have change. I mean you need to supplement your roster and free agency a little bit.
Speaker 1: Jacksonville went out and traded for mac Jones. They had the wide receiver Gabe Davis, which I don't like that.
Speaker 2: This is probably my least favorite offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mitch Moore, Starnel Savage, Eric Armstead.
Speaker 2: I like the Armstet signing, but they probably gave him too much money. I haven't seen the contract.
Speaker 1: I was like seventeen millions something like that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, Key resigning Seash Allen and Ezra Cleveland. Key departures place kicker Braindon McManus, cornerback Darius Williams, and wide receiver Calvin Ridley.
Speaker 2: I don't know their offense is much better.
Speaker 1: I think they're just kind of moving chares around.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what the I always feel like they don't have a plan.
Speaker 1: Kay Davis for Calvin Ridley is not a loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, adding Morse is nice. He has some injury stuff, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Kansas City key additions punter Matt Arasi. I don't know how you called that a key addition because he's never kicked in the NFL before.
Speaker 2: I guess he has never ever. Yeah, No and tight end Irv Smith, Marky's Brown they signed today, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Key re signings Chris Jones, Lgerious and Drew Trankwell. Key departures Nick Alligretti and Willie Gay Jr. Pretty much stand keeping the status quo. I love the Brown signing for them at Receiver. I don't think we're talking about this on my podcast. I think he's more of a nice upgrade over Hardman or Valdez Scantley as opposed to the next Hyrek Hill. People were automatically comparing that, and I'm like, no, he's not. He's not Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 2: No he's not. But he's a lot different than Rice and Kelsey.
Speaker 1: For the Raiders. Key addition Christian Wilkins Gardner, Minshew re signed, Andre James and running back of mirr Abdula doesn't need from me. Key departures Josh Jacobs, Jermaine Illuminare and cornerback of Meek Robertson.
Speaker 2: So I Adore Wilkins. I think he's phenomenal and he's a great locker room guy, and maybe their D line now is really really good and it's finally a strength. I just think you could contemplate for a team like that, would you rather have Wilkins or four starters, you know what I mean? Like four five million dollar guys, a linebacker, you know, a nose whatever.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you have read or kept rather kept Josh Jacobs and Germaine iluminor and added and another you know somebody else and added a serviceable defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sheldon Rankins, something like that. Yeah, I think there's for that team. They weren't one big ticket item away, is my point.
Speaker 1: The Chargers weird, weird, weird key additions Gus Edwards and Will Disley, he resigning a Lloy Gilman, ke Partsers Austin like Klar Kenneth Murray, Gerald Everett and Keenan Allen some of they got a see and Mike Williams and Mike Williams. I don't know how that's a seed.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to see either. It sounds like Bosa and Mack will both be back under restructures. That's great, that's great.
Speaker 1: They gave Mac like a six year extension.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I didn't know how they did it.
Speaker 1: They just kicked the money all the way down the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would have at least brought back one receiver. I would have kept a edge and a receiver, not two edges, not.
Speaker 1: Just empty my wide receiver room.
Speaker 2: You're right, and count on Quinton Johnston and like, I don't want Justin Herbert for Fantasy this year.
Speaker 1: Non it.
Speaker 2: They're gonna run the ball a thousand times right.
Speaker 1: The Dolphins key additions Dan Jordan Poyer, Shaq Barrett, Johnny Smith, Anthony Walker, Aaron Brewer, Jordan Brooks, and Kendall Fuller. I mean, some of those dudes are like thirty four.
Speaker 2: I'd say there's some age there. It's another they were so cash strapped. I'm a little shocked how they got that all in and how they're going to get to a signed But I mean, I know if people manipulate the cap. But they made a lot of changes. They also got rid of a lot.
Speaker 1: Of key resignings, Nick Neid Him and Robert Jones. Key departures Robert Hunt, Christian Wilkins, Brandon Jones, Andrew van Ginkel, Jerome Baker, Emmanuel Ogbaugh and now of course, uh they also lost the safety the Steelers signed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah Elliott right. Yeah, is the center the only offensive lineman they brought in? Yes, I think so, yes, And I know they lost hunt Win is still a free agent. Their line is frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if they could put five on the field right now.
Speaker 2: The experience, it's a problem. Yeah, Connor Williams is up there starting center. Yeah.
Speaker 1: For the Patriots. Key additions Jake Jacoby, Brissett, Antonio Gibson, Austin Hooper, Cioni, Tacky Tacky, and Choke sakor for. They have all kinds of money, and that's what they bought.
Speaker 2: That's what they bought. Yeah, I would expect a little bit bigger offensive splash than that. I didn't think they touched the d and they really didn't. They brought back o Cha. They brought back Dugger on the transition tag and Gonzales comes back next year. It's gonna be an all offensive.
Speaker 1: But they re signed Kyle Dugger, Michael and Oweno, Kendrick Bourne, Hunter, Henry Jalen Rager, Anthony Jennings, josh Ucha, Tyrone Watley, the offensive lineman, and Christian Ellis. They just kept a lot of the We like these guys that we won five games with so much, let's bring them all back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know it's a little odd, Like how about shake it up a little? So on today's the podcast I did earlier today, if you if you go to the trade value chart, you know, draft trade value chart, the Vikings now two first rounders. Yeah, almost exactly equals the third pick overall. You could sprinkle in something else, would you consider that? If you're the Patriots, maybe you even get in the fields market, you know, yeah, move and just draft offensive linemen and receivers and figure out from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like the Jets are probably gonna end up with the vice president, the vice president of the United States, the candidate there. They're key additions, Tyrod Taylor, John Simpson, Isaiah Oliver.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought they had another lineman. I thought they got to tackle recently too.
Speaker 1: Maybe. Okay, their key re signing is Greg zier Line. Thomas Moore said, so their kicker and their punter. They kept those guys and then they lost defensive end Bryce Huff.
Speaker 2: No, they're pretty much running it back. Yeah. It does look like they've at least paying attention to the O line though, and they're set up to draft one. Uh.
Speaker 1: The last AFC.
Speaker 2: Jet note for you, Cory Davis is back in the league. The Steelers could do worse than that. He blocks. He's former early pick. We haven't seen him in a while. I think you get him super cheap, just a name throughout there.
Speaker 1: The Titans key additions Tony Pollard, Lloyd Cushion, Berry, Kenneth Murray, Chadobia, Woozy a Calvin Ridley, and May root Off.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He resigning long snapper Morgan Cox. Uh, how come they didn't list the Steelers resigning Chris You mentioned that he resigning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Key departures Aaron Burr, Deniko atri As, He's Alscher, Saan Murphy, Bunting, and Derrick Henry. This is a team that looked at it and said, you know what, we weren't good enough last year. Yeah, let's get rid of all these guys and bring in a whole bunch of new guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They cut like Andre Dillard today too, which is an awful signing. And I think that's all saying. I think there's two things we said about the Titans, which I get both. I get on very much. We are not Vrabel Henry a cloud of dust tough team anymore. We're very analytical and we're a lot more finesse, which I don't know if that's good or bad, but I think they're much more finesse than they used to be. And I think they said we didn't put nearly enough around will Levis last year to analyze them. Now we will. And I think, like you know, all to end up there too or something like that. Yeah, but they have receivers now.
Speaker 1: They have receivers now. Yeah, and they up Mason Rudolph.
Speaker 2: Who might play more than people think. I think that's a great landing, yeah for him. No, I think that's a great spot for absolutely. Let's get to a break. He is the Matt Williamson. I am Dale, Lolly. You're listening to the drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson and Matt Patrick. Queen was asked today at is a press conference, like, what's it going to be like playing for the Steelers now instead of the Ravens. And he's like, well, he said, I like to be the villain, so I guess I'll be the villain. I would not imagine that like he and Deshaun Elliott will get a great welcome.
Speaker 2: I would think not in Balton, right right.
Speaker 1: In fact, Deshaun Elliott said today that he was asked about that and he said, yeah, I got a text here from Lamar Jackson and I haven't opened it up yet.
Speaker 2: It's probably not like, hey, best of luck. Now, that's interesting. There was a lot of movement within divisions, you know, Stone crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you don't usually see a lot of that this year than maybe in a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure exactly it. Actually, we do a mailbag every Thursday and someone asked that question, why do you think that's been so much? And my first response was because you know the players so well. You game planned against queen for years and years. You must have had respect for him and I you know, the question was phrased, do you think people Do you think players do that so they can get back at their old team. I'm like, maybe they mostly changed teams because they usually picked their team to be and pay some money, I mean more often than not. But familiarity to division I think is attractive to the team and the team knew Elliott and Queen better most you know.
Speaker 1: When you're looking for a new team as well. I think there's some familiarity with the style of play.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and then North is a little different than the other division.
Speaker 1: And that's one thing that both of those guys said today, like, hey look this. Particularly Elliet he's like, look I played because he played in Detroit two years ago, played Miami last year. He goes, I'm getting back into the AFC North. He says, I understand this is a different style of football.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, I mean I don't think that's lip service or coach Tomlin after an AFC North game, let's sa AFC North football. People get tired of hearing that stuff. But it's it is a little different. Everyone in the division admits it.
Speaker 1: They're all physical. Yeah, yeah, you know, even the Bengals. You look at the Bengals, you think that's a finesse team, but they are.
Speaker 2: Look at their line. They're big guys. I mean they're never gonna have a little scat back either. Yeah, they're a big, physical team. I mean the Big ten is better different than the SEC. It's better different than the Big twelve, et cetera, et cetera. But yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I also think too, Matt, that there's something to the you know, we talked about this all the time that the Steelers and Ravens are often interested in the same not only the same type of players, but the same players, right right.
Speaker 2: I think they're scouting system and values coming out of college and through the pros are very similar. Yeah, so you're going to be after the same type, same guys. Off.
Speaker 1: You know, we've seen some steel We've seen it go both ways more recently, Like you know, we saw warmly the Steelers make a trade for for Chris Warmley obviously strange, Yeah, they liked Chris Wormley. We saw last year, you know, the Ravens go out and they get Arthur Malette, like yeah, yeah, you know, these's there's a lot of similarities there. Some of that, you know, some of that animosity between the two is because they are so similar.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think so too. I mean it's physicality, it's strong leadership. I mean, it's the head coaches are one year apart in their tenure and both of them extremely successful. I think it's not jealousy. I think it's respect, you know, I mean, you know between those organizations, and then I don't think it's an accident that your last game of the year was against the Bills and Mitch Morse gets released. We just game planned against them. We thought it was good enough bring them in. You know, like any edge you can get in the scouting world is great. I mean said the same thing when they drafted Picket. They're gonna know more about Picket than anybody else. You know, they workout exact as we want to know. But that's any edge you can get or any bit of information you can get about these guys is great. Yeah, so real quick, Like you know, just from a scouting perspective, as opposed to your area or your pro scout that was in charge of the Ravens getting grades on Queen, well, your entire offensive staff did too twice, you know, so there's more eyes on him throughout the course of the year and game planning against the strengths and weaknesses. Well, he was hard to play against.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you you have that knowledge, that inside knowledge because you did game plan against him twice a year, very familiar and you saw him early in the year, and you saw him late in the year like, oh, okay, he still looked you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's holding up. That's the one thing we've mentioned about him too. He's been unbelievably durable.
Speaker 1: Really durable, Yeah, really durable. The guy the last two seasons, played over a thousand snaps in each of the last two seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's he's also very young for his experience. Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: He was asked today about the whole thing, because I guess one of the radio stations in Baltimore went on this diatribe and said that, you know, Roquan Smith had made Patrick Queen made him a better player and that's why he got paid and the Ravens won't miss him at all, and blah blah blah. And apparently Queen saw this and kind of clap back at them and said, hey, look, I yeah, I learned, And he said today, I learned from Roquan Smith, I hope. So I learned a lot from him. I learned, you know, how to be a better leader. I learned how to be a better communicator. And you know, I'm ready to do this on my own now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean again, if someone's going to come in and help you get better. Take it. Yeah, I mean I don't look at that as a negative at all. I mean, that's one of my questions.
Speaker 1: He's a high There aren't that many high pedigree inside linebackers in today's NFL. No, No, at most every year there's one taken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give or take right, right, I mean less and less than ever. People are realizing they have a tough, tough acclimation period. And physically he checks every box.
Speaker 1: Now you've let the Ravens get him ready to play. Now you get him. He's reaching his physical peak and his mental peak. More importantly, understands how to play, and you've kept him in the same division. He knows how to play against these teams you think, you think he knows how to handle Lamar a little bit than the average Bear.
Speaker 2: He's played against Borrow a ton, and he's played against the Browns a ton. And maybe he even chips in and says has some critique for the Steelers offense, you know, or yeah, I know it's a different offensive coordinator so that might not even apply. But yeah, I think again, the familiarity is great. You're getting him at this peak time and he does need to show that he can be the green dot guy and survive without Roquon or thrive without rok On. Of course he's gonna survive. But again, I don't think that's like Alvin Harper and Michael Irvin, you know, where the one guy gets doubled all the time. Yeah, I mean they're linebackers. I mean, if Rokwan missed a games for Queen have been just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In fact, Rokwan did miss the last game of the season. Yeah, against the Steelers. He sat that one out. Queen played and had a nice game, and you know it's you know, it's so oh.
Speaker 2: I think he'll be missed from that defense. I mean one of the beauties of that defense with their safeties and linebackers, the spine of their defense was phenomenal. That's why he did so well against the Niners. And you know why McDonald's in Seattle as a head coach.
Speaker 1: And I really think there are a lot of similarities between the two defenses in terms of their attacking styles. They're they're not going to sit back and let stuff happen. Rokwan Smith will be blitzing this year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Yeah, he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Do the things that he did. Well, mean, Queen, I'm sorry, Patrick Queen, I.
Speaker 2: Should say I I mean, we talked about blitzing linebackers, but he's a very good pass rusher. He has a variety of moves. McDonald helped. He devised a lot of stuff. But same with the Steelers staff. Yeah, I mean he's I think he has like nine sacks over the last two.
Speaker 1: Years and he's eight and a half. It's the second second most of for inside linebackers. And he will get after the quarterback. He will play in. His coverage has gotten better.
Speaker 2: That was a knock over the course of its turn better and better. Range has never been an issue and all that kind of stuff. Physicality has never been an issue in terms of blitzing. He's the type of linebacker that if you're going to leave him isolated, if you're just gonna have a back deal with him, it's a major disadvantage for the offense. Yeah, good luck with that. Yeah. And more than just that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he he was asked today about you know what do you know about Ryan Cheese here he says, look, I I watched a lot of Ryan Chaz and and you know know what a good player, he was, and I'm here to replace him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like they've obviously been searching since Ryan's unfortunate situation. I think they got their guy now, you know. And this may not even matter to them, But Queen's so young. He's probably gonna get a nice third contract some day.
Speaker 1: I would think so, because he's twenty four now. He signed a three year deal here. If that works out, you you.
Speaker 2: Extend to market twenty sev ish, you know, right, So I think he's got a bright future. And I did not see that one coming. Yeah. Uh, some people on Twitter have mentioned it. You guys didn't think Patrick Queen was worth her time. I thought he was gonna get five million dollars more a year than right.
Speaker 1: I thought he's gonna get ridiculously paid. And I just wonder if he took a little less money than maybe what he would have gotten somewhere else, possibly to stay here in the AFC North which he mentioned, play for Mike Tomlin and a team that in a winning you know, organization which he mentioned, and I and to be the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good situation for him. Definitely get out from Roque Shadow and all that stuff too, and play against some directly great linebacker history here, great defense history here. This this crowd is gonna eat him up too. Oh yeah, so he gonna be fun on backs and backers too. Oh yeah, yeah, for sure. Nausey and those guys.
Speaker 1: That was the other thing he was He was mentioned, if you know, is there anybody with the Steelers when you were playing for the Ravens, if was there anybody that you developed a real rivalry with. So he mentioned that he did know Nausea Harris from their SEC days together and.
Speaker 2: They're close to the same age and butt heads there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he said Jalen Warren. He said that, he said that guy I hated playing against him because he's he's low to the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he.
Speaker 1: Plays physically and and somebody said, well, geez, can't wait to see you guys in backs on backers, and you know, yeah, actually he didn't. He said he didn't call him Jalen where he said mister Warren.
Speaker 2: Oh, sounds like Queen's a pretty personal guy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: His interviews were good, and I love that you mentioned too that he what he learned from Roquand was mostly above the neck and communication stuff. That was a bit of a knock on him early in his career too, is you know he wasn't the green doc guy, the communicator. And I don't fee whether the green dot or.
Speaker 1: Not, but that's tough for young linebackers, really hard.
Speaker 2: It's part of the quarterback.
Speaker 1: You're learning the defense yourself and now you're asking, okay, you're not gonna learn to be learning the defense, but now he wants you to call it.
Speaker 2: Now, get to call it and line everybody up right, and you know, you see those linebackers go up to a defensive lineman was in a three point stance and tap them on the butt just to move six inches this way because they have a feel of what's coming. And you know, you start to get to that point as a linebacker and now you're talking, you know, yeah, So.
Speaker 1: I think he'll be a good I think everybody, all the guys that they've added thus far, I think will be good additions. I think they make them a better team now because remember the big thing about the Steelers going into this offseason, they really weren't going to lose anybody, no, and they're starting twenty two unless they wanted to. Well, they apparently they wanted to. With Deontay Johnson. That opened up another hole. I get Patrick Peterson, which he was on yesterday. He was on NFL Network and said the door's not closed.
Speaker 2: I was I saying, I wonder if you could call him him and Alan Robinson back off from a one year deal. That's a lot more friendly because I don't think those you know, bridges were burned. I just think they were high quality.
Speaker 1: We can't pay what you were not that, but that was really obvious. But we can bring you back, you know, and you guys liked it here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we still think you have football left in you and give you a one year deal and be a locker room leader. And I'm not sure how we'll use you, but we're gonna use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. So that would be interesting though. That would be interesting because I've added some some queens and LSU guy h Dante Jackson's an l s U guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hadn't thought about that.
Speaker 1: Peterson obviously, Peterson's an l s U guy, like and these guys were.
Speaker 2: Were L s U was a powerhouse, powerhouse, yeah, especially that era, right, I mean they played with I don't know think they'd overlap with Burrow or not not he's.
Speaker 1: A little younger than he's a little younger when they were when they won the national title.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Justin Jefferson yea.
Speaker 1: That was what they would like Chase and yeah, you look at the the secondary when Dante Jackson was there was Mills. Uh who is the other cornerback. I just looked this stuff up the other day. They had four guys in their starting secondary.
Speaker 2: We're all NFL guys. Yeah, I mean it's obviously a great school to go get people from. Too super competitive. It's at the Bama level based on Adams yea and all these guys.
Speaker 1: They you know, really for a while there, Lsu was defensive back.
Speaker 2: You I remember when Peterson sat down with us, he started talking about that's why he didn't go to Florida State.
Speaker 1: And he was the dude that started and started.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to follow Dion and those guys. He wanted to be the Dion and he was, you know, honey Badger. And there's been a long lest Stingley, you know.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I think they're a better team now than they were a week ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except the receiver situations.
Speaker 1: That's fine. I mean, I think the way that they want to play football, though I don't know that you need seventeen receivers running around out there.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there'd been eleven a lot less than they were. I think that's pretty apparent. I mean, there's no question about it.
Speaker 1: And like again, they're going to do something at receiver. I think, you know, yeah, maybe it's an upgrade, maybe it's even if it's a step backwards a little bit. I'm fine with that because I think they're going to draft one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as long as it's open to the draft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And b again, I think they're going to run the football. I think they're going to run the snot out of the football.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. I don't know that the second starter will be as good as Deontay or not.
Speaker 1: I know that I know that they've upgraded at linebacker. I know that they've upgraded at the other cornerback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I know they've upgraded a.
Speaker 2: Quarterback, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I know that they've upgraded the safety position.
Speaker 2: Yes. I think all those things are true. And I think center you can question, and receiver you can question.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Yeah, you know, I think that they will upgrade center regardless of Mason Cole was not good last year.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean there's almost nowhere to go but up right to be very honest, good guy and all that. But he's he's gonna be a backup next year somewhere somewhere. Yeah, I mean, he's not going to be a starter, you know.
Speaker 1: So whatever you do there is likely to be an upgrade. And you know, if they if they have to take a half a step back at receiver, that's fine. If they go out and get step On Diggs, that's not a step backwards, has a step.
Speaker 2: Forward, especially if you use a second round pick on a young guy that has all the upside in the world. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go get Lad McConkie or Ricky Piersoll and you know Roman Wilson.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of options, Okay, a lot of options. Yeah. No, I think you take advantage of a rich receiver draft, and that's definitely going to happen. Yeah. So that's some of these mid round picks that they now have more of. All of a sudden, you'll get a decent one the fourth round. Yeah, I mean, it's not a bad place show.
Speaker 1: And then they all got two third round picks. Yeah, yeah, I guess that you can get one in the third, we might have to go third round that third, like we when we were all every time we've done a mock draft, Yeah, when we get to that pick at eighty four, we're like, well, there's like three different ways we could go here. There's a bunch of different players.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, now they get through it the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and we always like those two as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I like two thirds better.
Speaker 2: A lot better. Yeah, they're they're gradually inching up into the sweet spots of these drafts too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's interesting. Let's get to another break. He is Matt Williams and I'm Dale Lallie. We'll be back to finish up the show right after this. Well, Steeler fans, it's been an eventful day and certainly one that I think a lot of people will remember. And of course, you can get all your latest sideline apparel, hats, jerseys of your favorite players, get your authentic memorabilia, customer names and exclusives that you can only find directly from the team at the official Steelers pro shops, or you can visit shops dot Steelers dot com, or of course you can go to Akrosser Stadium, Grove City, Premium, Mount Let's or Tanger out Let's to do that as well. And you may want to go get a Russell Wilson Jersey. You might want to go get Queen a Patrick Queen Jersey. Yeah, maybe even Elliott maybe you were yeah, maybe you know, Yeah, and so any of those they also sign upun this week. Forget about that.
Speaker 2: True. True.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cameron Johnson spots upgraded in there's another one.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's another upgrade. Yeah, you got top ten type punter from what I understand against really one of the worst punters wasn't a.
Speaker 1: He just wasn't a weapon. And now you've got a guy that can be a weapon and reliable, Cameron Johnston. I was looking at like forty five percent of his punts last year down inside the opposing twenty. Yeah, it's ridiculous. Like of all the guys he was, he didn't he didn't have the most kicks inside the twenty. He had thirty, which was like tied tied for six or seven. It was in the top ten. But he did it on sixty six punts. All the other guys who panther, all the other guys who were ahead of him, in terms of number of punts down inside the twenty had like seventy five plus punts percent Yeah, his percentage was was maybe the best in the league. You know, that's a weapon. That's a weapon, especially when your defense should be pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're a run the ball, play defense team, you better be great on teams and you're both your kicker punter should be really strong. And now it's not my specialty at all, but I'd be shocked if there's many teams out there that have a better kicker punter combination of steel.
Speaker 1: Pretty good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's really good, really good one. And it's worth the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're in fleetball at night, you know you're going to.
Speaker 1: Play football that way, then play football that.
Speaker 2: Way exactly exactly. So I think they told us that quite a bit. It's a small thing, but all round out after camp, but the core special teamers are still to be determined a little bit.
Speaker 1: They kept Killerber, they kept Killer Huge.
Speaker 2: You know, well, boy can be back, you know, I don't know, you know, so I think that group is interesting too. Pierre might not be back. You know, some of those guys have been core special teamers. For you.
Speaker 1: But that changed every but you got your you got your main guy. Like you build out a round killer brew. Yeah, yeah, I mean he's he was the All Pro And there's one long step.
Speaker 2: Too, and you extended your long styah some of your four most important special teamers or locked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's huge. Final thoughts on on the Kenny Pickett trade, Matt.
Speaker 2: I was shocked, to be very honest with you, I think there will be another shoe to drop. I mean maybe they're excited to get Tannehill in here or somebody like that. I don't know, but I get it. I think it's a lot more about you were the starter. Now you're not the starter. You're a younger guy. It's not your time to get demoted. But it's better for you and the team to have you elsewhere. You know. Yeah, if i'd be the Eagles, I'd be pretty excited to get him, though. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They get a year basically two year look at him, decide whether they want to pick up the fifty year option.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: For the Steelers, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: I bet they looked at it. I think they're telling us that they hadn't planned on picking on the fifth year option. Well, I mean I think could have been determined.
Speaker 1: That would have been determined by what happened this year. But I think when they made to be a starter, yeah, I think as they as they talked to Russell Wilson and got a better feel for the situation, I think they just looked at it and said, you know what, he's the veteran guy, he's the thirteen year veteran, he's the guy that's won Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's only right that we give him first opportunity to be the starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's number one on the depth chart. Kenny Pickett's number two, and I just don't think any Pickett could deal with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if that offended him, then your skin might have been a little too thin anyways.
Speaker 1: Because might not have been the guy that we thought you were.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean Wilson deserved that. To me, I think his track record implied.
Speaker 1: That's like bringing in Tom Burton. I'm not saying Russell Wilson star Brady. That would be like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers bringing in Tom Brady a couple of years ago and say and telling you know, the whoever the Kyle Trask k Kyle, we're gonna give you, We're gonna give you a show. You're equal footing with Tom, with Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: That's just not how things work. I mean, I think you hire Wilson, you have the discussion with Wilson that, Hey, this is a really fortunate financial situation for us, considering what Denver's doing for you. The least we can do is give you first crack at this thing. Because Kenny Kenny starting thirteen touchdown passes. Yeah, I mean it's not enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the winning was nice, and I'm not gonna talk on and no matter what you think of that, he found ways to win games in big moments, but we would.
Speaker 2: Love to see him in this offense. Yeah. Yeah, I mean part of me is a little discouraged that we don't get that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wouldn't it be nice so to not have to win games that way up to ten points in the fourth quarter and just run the football and run the clock out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you throw twenty five thirty touchdown passes, the games go a lot of the script changes than thirteen or fifteen or whatever. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So season, we'll see if they're able to better do that moving forward. But big week of change or the Pittsburgh Seelers. We'll see what else comes to fruition. Maybe there'll be some more moves over the weekend here.
Speaker 2: I'm counting on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we get head into Remember free agency is only like technically.
Speaker 2: Opens have been fifty hours is how long it's been open. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem that way because everything starts Monday. But by by next Monday, when when our next show rolls around, some different things will have happened around not only in Pittsburgh but around the league.
Speaker 2: Keenan Allen got traded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the time we roll back around here on Monday, maybe Stephan Diggs will have been traded.
Speaker 2: I just have a feeling that, like six oh two, he's gonna get traded. So yeah, yeah, like this how it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we'll see. We'll see where they ends up at. Just to remind everybody, So next week we're on our Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule.
Speaker 2: Again, a lot of people saying, you guys should have been five days this we we should have five days this week. I think the.
Speaker 1: Following week, because of the owners meeting, we'll be down at the league meetings We'll be on from ten to twelve on each of those days Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday in Orlando. We'll have some good guests so and we'll probably talk a lot about some of these moves that have been made around the league. Picture stuff, big picture stuff, and you know, some of the rule changes, things of that nature. The Steelers putting out the rule change along with some other teams, the steel Deelers proposed moving the trade deadline back one week five. Other teams proposed moving it back two more weeks to week ten.
Speaker 2: Good. I like it, I'd like I'd vote for either one.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the fact that you had six teams proposed that tells me that there's a good something's going to happen with that. But that's going to do it for our show today and for this week. So for my partner Matt Williamson, for Justin Miller here on site keeping us on the air, I'm Dale Lolly. We appreciate you listening to this edition of the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio.