Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I'm your host, rams is Jah.
Speaker 2: They called me q Ward because Q is easier to say than Quinton. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I do, yes indeed, And we are back with the second installment of Civic Cipher, as promised to continue our program from last week, where we're going to discuss a few things, not the least of which is we're going to continue on with our examining some of the myths about Abraham Lincoln that you've all kind of held to be true for many years, especially those of us that went to school in public education. So DJ Swirl has that in the works for us. We also have some Ebony excellence to get into here real soon. But a couple of bigger things that we wanted to talk about that we weren't able to get to last week. A story about a Trump's reporter who shot into a car full of black teens back and in December at an Iowa rally. You know we're gonna we got some follow up information about his sentencing that many of us will find troubling, and you know that we really need to examine, and we also want to spend more time talking about a show from in the three weeks ago where we originally talked about critical race theory and how it was banned in Florida, while some new laws have been passed in Texas, and we want to examine that and just kind of reintroduce the topic because I get the impression that we're going to have to deal with this around the country, and so we have a lot in store for today's episode. But before we get to the heavy stuff, I definitely want to take some time to shout out all of the black women athletes for our Ebony X Simmons segment.
Speaker 2: All I do is win and win no matter what.
Speaker 1: So, as many of you know, Simone Biles is now a seven time national champion.
Speaker 2: She's the truth.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, they call her the Goat. I've seen on her uniform now she has a picture of a goat in like rhinestones. Wow. And so she's she's owning it and I love it. I love that. But there's a lot more. You know, it's it's Olympic time and there's you know a lot of athletes are in the news, and particularly a lot of black women, and we are real big believers in black girl magic. Around here, of course, So I want to shout out a few more names. Simone Manuel, who came back from an injury to ultimately make the Olympic team. I'm kind of condensing it, but an excellent achievement. Alison Felix became a mother, uh and was late dropped by Nike, only to come back to make her fifth Olympic appearance.
Speaker 2: One of our next shows are one of our future shows, we're going to spend some more time talking about Alison Felix. Her husband is a personal friend of mine. We ran track in high school together. She has a triumphant story. You know, it's like she's a conqueror making her fifth Olympics. Absolutely, I'll let you guys do the math on that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, that she and then gave birth between the fourth and fifth, got dropped by a sponsor because they thought she was done, came back and proved every room wrong. So we love that around here. Shelley Ann Fraser Price ran the fastest one hundred meter of the year and became the second fast fastest woman of all time. So a big shout out to Shelley and Fraser Price. And then I hope I'm saying this right, Shikari Richardson, keep your eyes open for her. She might be the next fastest woman in the world. Well, listen, she made the Olympic team. And this is a little sad, but it was one week after burying her mom. So a lot of triumph in those stories, and of course all black girl magic and of course ebony excellence, which we love to celebrate on the show here, So big shout out to all of our Olympians and I get the feeling we're going to do well. But moving on to the issue at hands. So, you know, I remember reading about this story about the shooting at the Trump rally, you know, and these guys are all Second Amendment self defense. And if they if they can, you know, tell themselves a story, no matter how far fetched, if they can connect a couple of dots and say they were threatened or you know, anything like that, then they'll use it as an excuse to engage physically and you know, violently, yeah, exactly, and the law and they almost know that the law will be on their side, you know, because the police often look like them or subscribe to similar philosophies. They tend to be right leaning, you know. Obviously, police tend to support candidates who tend to in turn support police and those oftentimes tend to be right leaning candidates. And fiscal decisions, sure, among other decisions. But you know, sure we'll start there. I think there's a fundamentally yeah, yeah, there's a fundamental difference in philosophy and value of human life, different types of human life, I think. But sure, fiscal decisions. But you know, the way this this scenario plays out oftentimes is is a story that we're well versed with, and this one is no exception. So I actually caught wind of this story. Not sure if you you two did a swirl or cue, but you know, we didn't, you know, as as it goes, we didn't get a chance to talk about it on the air, perhaps because no one died, you know. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that our priorities have to be where there's a loss of life and there's you know, a huge rallying momentum behind, you know, seeking some sort of justification or justification not the right word. What am I looking for? Accountability for that?
Speaker 2: And then we also only have an hour a week, yeah, you know what I mean. So it might not have been because no one died. There might have just been so many stories where someone did. Sure, so we probably didn't intentionally omit it.
Speaker 1: No, No, not at all. I remember I remember thinking like that we should probably talk about this. But I do distinctly remember that week we had to discuss something that resulted in a death. And so unfortunately that was the reality, at least that at that point in time. But the reason this came back up and came back across our desk is because ultimate basically what happened is there was a Trump supporter who ended up shooting into a car full of black teenagers. You know, someone got shot and the person was Ultimately the shooter was charged for attempted murder, right, and you would think end of story, Great, that's that should be the way that goes. But ended up getting a very uh what was described as generous plea deal. And so that's what we need to look at today. So let me let me, let me, let me, let me get into details with the story because I have some notes here. So on December sixth, uh Michael McKinney of Saint Charles, Iowa was at a rally at state Capitol hosted by Women for America first a pro Trump group when a group of Trump supporters clashed with a group of four teenage girls, all under the age sixteen, who began following the group in a vehicle. Now that underage women underage girls rather were black. According to the driver's mother, Danielle Gross, the teens and the Trump supporters argued about politics. Gross said the demonstrators hurled racial slurs at the teens. I wasn't there, so I don't know how true that is. But Trump rally black kids there, I'd imagine it's believable. After rally goer surrounded the vehicle carrying the teens, the driver put the car in reverse and struck a truck, although it's not clear whether she hit the truck intentionally. In other words, it sounds like they were trying to escape because they were surrounded by folks who were all right. McKinney, who wasn't involved in the altercation that led to the shooting, according to court documents, walked toward the vehicle, pulled a gun from his waistband, and shot into the car from fifteen feet away. In other words, this person was not it was not his property that was damaged. He was not these girls are trying to escape and so forth, and this is the way the story went. One of the girls that had been arguing with Rout through the sunroof of the vehicle was struck in the leg, and the driver sped off to take her to a hospital. McKinney was wearing body armor and had two loaded magazines in his pants, along with another firearm with Trump decals on his vehicle. He tried to hide evidence by putting the shellcasing in the back of his car only and only confessed after others identified him. So he went there with a gun and a bulletproof vest and his you know, Merica gear, perhaps anticipating some funk, found some across for something or to start some found some across the field, and inserted himself into the middle of that situation and then shot some people who were trying to leave. Authorities downplayed the racial context of the shooting, and initial police reports contained no record of race or mention of Trump. Right. Initial police reports, as we know, tend to be often incomplete or inaccurate, and or oftentimes it's both. Yeah, yeah, I think that's a fair thing. Oftentimes it is both, you know, certainly with the stories that come an hour away, and when you view the world through a black lens, it really feels like that you're not going to get a fair shake when you're interacting with policing or representation with respect to the government, and those things really do inform your movements in your day to day activities. And so I just want to make sure that I said that the right way. I don't I don't want to be unfair. I don't want to be unkind. I know that they're law enforcement officers to listen. I know that there are laws support people that support law enforcement that listen. But this is a real show, and we have to have real conversations, and so let's deal with the real all right. So Bob Brecky Junior, the owner of the truck the driver struck, told the Associated Press he was glad McKinney fired at the teens quote. I felt relieved, he said his vehicle was scratched during the chaos. Now, I do want to mention something here. This article comes from the Atlanta Black Star. We get a lot of our news from the Atlanta Black Star and other sources around the internet. This article may have been written in such a way to where it really favors our general view of the world. That's not to say it's inaccurate, but things like the driver's truck was scratched. That could mean that the driver's truck was actually scratched or it could have been damaged, and we don't know that because it was written this way. So I want to be I want to mention that these are not my words and this isn't coming from.
Speaker 2: Even if the driver's vehicle was destroyed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: Property over people's lives, it just doesn't really unless they were trying to do you harm or your family harmed, then I get it.
Speaker 1: But well, that's where I want to go. I just want to make sure that. So a couple of weeks ago, Que, you said to me, so we want watch the video. This was a few episodes ago. We watched a video of no I think it was. You watched the video of some police officers attacking some teenagers on a beach and might have been in Virginia and uh Maryland, Maryland. Okay, there we go, and the the teenagers on the beach at the time, I didn't know their age because you watched the video. I didn't you know as we do. We take turns. So what happened is I refer to them as children, and you corrected me and said, you know, I don't want this to be you know, I don't want this story to get out there the wrong way and us to be accused of, you know, misrepresenting what really happened. They were teenagers, and I says, okay, that's fair to me a teenager as a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we were a team, we were both right. I just didn't want the story to sound like.
Speaker 1: Sound like we're trying to make it into something.
Speaker 2: It was like we were trying to manipulate people, that's what.
Speaker 1: And so that in that same spirit, I'm trying to make sure that I identify the source of this this article. I'm reading the story. You can find the story anywhere on the internet, but this article comes from the Atlanta Black Star. So that's important, But also us dealing with sort of a narrative that we already have in our head. If we see things that support our worldview already, then we process it less critically, I think, And so that's why I'm trying to be critical. Those who also read the Atlanta Black Star know that they exist to kind of provide a glimpse into issues and stories that mainstream media just doesn't it completely ignores. But these are black stories, and these are real stories and valid stories, and we need to know about these things, so I'll finish her. Michael McKinney faces up to ten years in prison for each of the two charges, including intimidation with a dangerous weapon and Wilfrid injury after one of the girls, age fifteen, was injured when he fired his weapon. McKinney's expected to be sentenced August ninth. Before taking a plea deal, he was scheduled to go on trial June twenty first, and argue that he fired his weapon in self defense as the girl's vehicle backed into a pickup truck driven by another Trump supporter. And that's a tough case to make self defense when they're driving into another truck. They're backing into another truck, you know, trying to escape. So but the Army veteran who'd express support for the Proud Boys and back the Blue movement admitted Wednesday that he'd intentionally fired into the vehicle, causing the documents to fear serious injury from my action and acknowledge that one of the girls was seriously injured as a result. Under the plea deal, the state will dismiss four charges, including attempted murder and woke seek enhancements that would have required McKinney to serve five years on each count before being eligible for parole. One prosecutor described the deal as generous. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: You guys can't see me. I had to put my hand on my brother Ramses just so I could feel the love vibrate from him back into me, so I didn't throw my mic. Right now, our justice system is really really strange because there's all these things put in place to kind of help you get out of crimes you've committed. Right, if we watch you kill someone on video, but the video wasn't procured the right way, then yeah we saw you do it, but they didn't have the proper warrant to get that video, So.
Speaker 1: Throw it out.
Speaker 2: That happened to my brother, right, So, and I understand that we have rights and they can't just be thrown away. So I get it. But man, admit you did this and we won't charge you for it. Right, you tried to kill these people, and because you admitted it, we're gonna throw away the worst parts of the crime that you just said you did intentionally premeditated, almost through my migration right now.
Speaker 1: So wat's just if he was convicted on all this council without that plea deal, he would have served thirty two years in prison for attempted murder, right, But he's they're like I said, they're dismissing for the charges, including the attempted murder, and won't seek enhancements. So I don't know what that what the result of that is in terms of numbers, but for the prosecutor to describe the deal as generous, that's he wasn't proud. He wasn't happy about that. You know, he's like these guys out here shooting people. He's a crazy person with a bulletproof vest, you know what I mean. He doesn't need to be out on the streets with his vigilante sort of actions. We live in a society where there's order and there's you know, systems in place to that already disadvantages people.
Speaker 2: And I like how you get to be afraid of people fleeing from you, where you get to stand your ground while you're pursuing someone, Like it's amazing how these things are written into law and the way that they are translated when it's time to sentence people for doing really heinoessed evil things.
Speaker 1: Listen, we talked about that last episode where there was a man and I think it's we're taught to fear melanin, you know, it's just the fact of the matter, all of us, even black people, you know. But we talked about it last show where there was a man who in Hawaii who walked into there was a temple right next to a house. So I'm sure the construction was similar in Hawaii. I'm not sure exactly where it was, but he walked into the house instead of the temple. Before walking through the house, took off his shoes. He was wearing his temple garb to go in and meditate. Black man walked in the house that happened to be owned by some non black folks. They called the police and stayed on the phone with the police until the police showed up and executed the man, even though he had apologized, walked out of the house, attempted to explain himself to the police, even while to nine one one operators, and just resulted in his death. And so we do understand that and let's be clear, if you walk into my house by a mistake, you deserve to be arrested. You know, you can figure out the whys and all that stuff later, but me, my lady, and my children are probably all terrified if a stranger walks in the house, So we're probably calling the cops. And if they arrest you for that mistake, that's not my fault, that's yours. I also understand you don't deserve to die because of that mistake. Sure well, I would argue that the moment when in that story, Not to rehash last week's episode, but in that story, the man once he realized his mistake, Oh, this is a private residence. This is not the temple I was looking for that I had been to last week with my wife. But it's next door. I thought this was it. I'm sorry here, let me leave, and very clearly made a mistake. I apologized to Yeah, at that point, it's no longer a threat. I'm leaving. I'm going back to the outside the door on the patio to put my shoes on. And you know, there's nothing here. And the woman described the man to the nine one one operator, saying that he had no weapon, he was not acting aggressively and so forth. And then later in the police report the police said that the woman was fearful and that described the man as acting aggressively. Anyway, I do want to talk about something that really speaks to this story about Michael McKinney, where with his lighter sentencing. So I don't know the exact quote, but I remember watching a Ted talk with Brian Stevenson. For those who don't know, I don't know the name of the movie, but Brian Stevenson has a movie and that the main character is played by Michael B. Johnson, Michael B. Jordan. Sorry, Jesus, there's a Johnson here on the page in front of me, Michael B. Jordan. So I have to find the name of the movie. But he's a real life person who's still alive and still he has an organization called the Equal Justice Initiative. So Brian Stevenson in this Ted talk he says something that I thought was very profound and it stayed with me for many years. He says, I think it's something along the lines of often times it's race, not culpability, that shapes outcomes in the criminal justice system, and that the criminal justice system, as it is, treat you much better if you are white and guilty than if you are black and innocent. And similarly, it treats you much better if you're rich and guilty and if you're poor and innocent. Right, So, for our purposes here, you know, we're gonna you know, this is something that I believe, this example at least runs along the color lines. And so I want to lean into that.
Speaker 2: The film is called Just Mercy merring Jamie Fox.
Speaker 1: That's it perfect. Now I want to say another thing. I have an older brother I come from I'm very, very blessed. I come from a family of I believe, excellent people. None of us are. My father had all of the children.
Speaker 2: He's saying he believes to be modest. I know because I know these people. He does come from a family of excellence.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you. So to give you an example, you know, I'm in the studio right now, and my brother's a plaquesa on the wall. He's a recording artist. His group's called Dilated Peoples. They released a ton of albums, most of them through Capitol Records, world famous, world tour. My sister's a Hollywood producer, writer. Her shows include Blackish, Boondocks, What's the one Dave with Little Dicky. That's a new one she's working on, and I mean you could look her up on IMDb. Jamara Taylor, one of my brothers is a lawyer, you know, and on and on. That list goes on and on. So and we're all doing I believe good things, you know, We're all proud of all of us. Right. My oldest brother, Sean was a millionaire when he was like a teenager. He was like nineteen when he made his first million dollars back in the nineties when it was still tough. So I have a brother named Bibbie. That's not his real name. His name is Johnny Young, but I call him for big brother. Anyway. Once upon a time, Bibby got himself a new Escalade and his now wife and him were always driving around in his car. And if you know anything about California, there is a real issue with car jackings, or at least there was at that time. So he carried a gun with him in the car. He's got someone to protect and got to protect himself too. That's just how it is out there. One night, some folks started messing with his girlfriend who's now his wife. It's all on video too. These guys are just doing too much touching, doing whatever, and Bib can't go up and deal with a bunch of guys like this long story short ends up grabbing his gun, shooting in the air. Guys run away. My brother went to prison for twelve years for attempted murder, even though that was on video, shouting straight in the air as warning shots, and everyone ran away. And that's the criminal justice system that I know to be true. I lost twelve years with my older brother. He's out now and he's thriving. But this story, I think speaks to a culture that's commonplace in this country, where again, the outcomes in this arena tend to treat you much better if you're white and guilty than if you're black and innocent. And it's unfortunate, but we do need to discuss it, because our votes shape the shape systems like this. Our phone calls to our representatives shape things like this. Our voting on ballots for judges shape things like this. Do a little bit of research, make the changes you want to see in your community, and hopefully we will create a better space for all of us. That's at least my belief. And now watching my mic back like.
Speaker 2: That strike.
Speaker 3: Waters from Headquarters behind and the blind in the borders.
Speaker 1: If you're just tuning in to Civic Cipher, I'm your host Grams's job.
Speaker 2: My name is Quentin Ward, but my friends call me q.
Speaker 1: This indeed, and uh, you know, we have a few more things that we want to touch on. One in particular has to do with the governor in Texas uh signing into law a bill banning critical race theory, which we've talked about on the show a couple of times now. And we still want to finish our Lincoln myths. So we're gonna check in with DJ Swirling a little bit. But first it's time to be a b A, that is, become a better ally. And so today's BABA comes in the form of I want to say this right, James Tallarico. He's a state senator from Texas, and we do have this video up on our Facebook page. Now I want you to watch this video. But if you don't get around to watching the video, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Please get around to watching the video. Please.
Speaker 1: This guy is an ally for real, So basically what he does is he gets up, you know, in his chamber in Texas and is actually charging the representatives before they go to vote, the Texas House of Representatives, before they go to vote, charges them with exactly what they're doing. You know, do you know that we're going to remove the teachings of Frederick Douglas? Do you know that this limits the teachings of doctor King? Do you know that this means that we can't educate about you know, our native populations and so forth and so on, and just rips into it and it's one of those masterful moments where you see someone come out of their own body. It's beautiful. But when you know, when you know that he's a white man and everyone that he talks about was a non white person, what you see is a human being advocating for human beings. It was very special to watch. We want to give him his kudos and I want go ahead.
Speaker 2: And he did it in such a way that the people and the person that he was addressing was unable to wiggle out of it. And masterful and make it anecdotal or add nuanced that made it untrue, like he really put the person in a position where they had to be honest about what they were doing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think that you know, for him, at least, he's one of those folks that gets that his voice matters in spaces where either black and brown voices don't matter, or where they don't exist. And that's a lot of places. There's a lot of powerful rooms where once they shut the door, there's no one who looks anything other like the folks that are in that room. And lotentimes those are white males.
Speaker 2: And that's what you and I spoke about on the last show, speaking about you know, being as hopeful as my brother, as optimistic as my brother ramses. It's not because I don't believe that more people are good people and good human beings. It's just that spaces like this exist where even those good people don't exist, or sometimes are put in a position where it's uncomfortable or scary to speak up on behalf of the people who aren't represented in those rooms.
Speaker 4: Exactly, he didn't change old boys opinion like the person he was addressing. He showed you the exact opposite of that hopefulness. He showed you the paid, purposeful defense of something that is clearly biased. When he's listing all these things off in an articulate fashion. And then when he flips the script and asks about, well, why is this white person who's not even an American in the bill, and he gets very generic with his explanation, it's very telling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, so thank you Swirl for adding that, because we almost went past that. But again, to become a better ally, you know, speak up behind closed doors, make sure that you don't don't hide your voice, don't hide your light. And if you need an example of that, James tall Rico. So what he was talking about was this bill. I have another another article to read here. So the headline is Texas Governor Greg Abbott signs into law critical race theory bill limiting teaching of current events related to race.
Speaker 2: So signs into law. Those are such powerful words.
Speaker 1: Right that to go out of your way to make sure that we are not going to educate.
Speaker 4: How many arguments have you had with people or discussions you've had with people and they said, well, that's the law, and that's where the conversation ends. This is how law gets made, and this is how they have that enabled passive behavior.
Speaker 2: To just sorry, that's how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ramses has pointed out to us on multiple occasions, there are some really heinous things that used to be perfectly legal. Yeah, absolutely, you know, so that's the law. It's such a weak argument sometimes, Well here's here's what.
Speaker 1: So for those who have maybe heard of it, or maybe haven't heard of it, a little bit about critical race theory. So what it is is it is a view of history that fundamentally where we come from and our and our approach to race in the past has a direct correlation to how we relate to each other on a racial level today, where we stand relative to each other, and why there's such huge disparities in health and economic uh resources and representation in the criminal justice system and so forth, and so on, various points of you know, livelihood and life in society the hiring goes, and so forth, where you're able to live and so forth. Critical race theory kind of puts everything on the same table and says this has to do with this, and that has to do with that, and this started way back when and so forth, and so as you can imagine, the right has a vested interest in killing this before it's able to really take on a life of its own. Because it's a recent term. We've been taught about the different races for many years, but once it has coalesced into okay, we need to make sure that this curriculum is in schools. And once it becomes a buzzword, then now you know your Fox News and you know you're very right, very much right wing. Right leaning individuals have a term that they can try to pick apart. And the way that they do that, in the way that they say it, and you know, as we talked about a couple episodes ago, is they'll say that, you know, by teaching children this, we're teaching them that they come from a racist lineage. That of course, but they think that that's bad for I'm going to say it plainly, they think that that's bad for white children. Right, so I want to make sure that I say what they say so or what they what they hear. They feel like their children will grow up with low self esteem, they will feel like they'll grow up guilty and not feel like they deserve, you know, and anything they work for won't rightfully be theirs. And there's all these sorts of weird arguments that are really based loosely on I wouldn't even call it logic. It's just emotional an emotional disconnect. They want to feel good and this makes them feel bad, and they're worried it'll make their children feel bad. Plus they worry that this type of education will indoctrinate their children to become liberals, that is, and they'll say that plainly. That's the biggest fear. Yeah, they'll say it plainly, you know, because obviously we know, and you know, those who are informed know that the more educated you are, the higher your tendency is to be liberal when it comes time to vote. That's just the way it goes. You know, if you're really into church and Jesus and belief and dogma and faith and that sort of stuff, your tendency is to especially if you're white, your tendency is to have more conservative views of the world. Because not because the Republican Party is the Party of Jesus Christ, it's in fact the opposite of that, but the position themselves as such, you know, the abortion laws. That wasn't even a part of the Republican platform forty years ago. Fifty years ago they added it, was it. Yeah, they added it to their platforms so that they could further appeal to evangelicals. Marketing scheme, and we know that. But those, you know, people with faith, they tend to believe and then double down on their belief when presented with facts to the cond it means nothing to them, because belief is what's driving the ship. And when folks are educated and they take the time to learn new knowledge, not believe stuff. But listen, I want to be informed. I want to know the truth. Those people when they find the light, the real actual light, or rather, let me call it the truth, because Jesus is the light, you know. But when they find the truth, their tendency is to become very liberal with their beliefs, and the tendency is to be more loving and more of a human being, and so forth and so again. A place like Texas, a place like Florida where at least the folks in power, because Florida, I guess you can make a case of Florida's a swing state, but the folks in power in Florida are definitely right leaning folks, you know, they just got to stranglehold on that. In Texas is the same way.
Speaker 2: And some of those people are educated as well. They're just also wealthy and selfish and inherently I don't care much about other people.
Speaker 1: And wealthy people, as we know, have an interest in maintaining their lifestyle, and they need people to vote along with their interests.
Speaker 2: And people with lifestyles that aren't similar to theirs and will be and will never be.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember seeing a video where there was a guy who might have been in like Alabama or Mississippi, one of those places we've been. And this guy has no teeth, he's just a life was really hard on this guy, as an older white man, just leathery skin, rough life. He lived in a trailer. The trailer was almost together. You know, it didn't look like I wouldn't even walk in it. You know, it looked abandoned, but that was his home. And the woman interviewing him says, so, you know, why do you keep voting Republican? You're you're on welfare, you you know, you know you use these resources, you you rely on a big government. You know this and that. And the third why do you continue to vote for Republican against their own interest? Is this literally is your reality today and you're voting Republican. And he said, while it could work for me, you know like that, and it's kind of like that same mentality where folks think, well, capitalism is awesome because when I get rich, I'm going to be all the way on and it'll it'll insulate me from ever having to be poor. Again, not fully understanding the capitalism only does that for ultra rich people, because you can be rich and lose all your money. Happens all the time. You can win a lottery, people lose their money all the time. Even if you think you have the capacity to plan, you know, out your future and you get financial advisors and so forth. Let another pandemic come, let another recession come. There's people that jump off a building when that stuff happens. But the ultra rich are still very much that capitalism so very well. Yeah, absolutely even more so. But you know, I think you mentioned it earlier. There's a marketing that goes along with very much republican ideology, and you know with capitalism as well, while we're on the subject, that is very easy for certain types of people to buy into. And then the further you indoctrinate them from the opposition, then the less you have to worry about them. Ultimately seeing that quote unquote light on the other side, you know, as long as Republicans view Democrats as the enemies drinking baby blood in the bottom of a pizza shop or whatever weird stuff that they were talking about last year.
Speaker 2: About and themselves as Christian evangelicals.
Speaker 1: That they're doing right by God. This guy this, what's this other guy? This trumper walking around with a bulletproof vest I don't think Jesus would have need a bulletproof vest. I think Jesus would have been the opposite energy from that, you know, he wouldn't have needed a murder weapon. I don't think Jesus would rolls that way. But for some reason, God, guns and country or whatever, however whatever, Montors.
Speaker 2: Somehow successfully married I. It's the weirdest thing the Party of Lincoln. Wow, we'll get there in a second. Sorry, we'll get there in a second.
Speaker 1: Jumping the gun. But yeah, so I want to read a little bit about this before we get to that. So unfortunately we kind of touched on some of this, so I'll burn it through this quick. According to the Texas Legislature, online teaching on past and current race related issues will now be restricted under a new law signed by Republican Governor Greg Abbott on Tuesday, June fifteenth. The legislation now has thrust has now thrust the Southern state into a small but growing group of states. Let's see. Critical race theory was a fairly obscure discipline, mostly confined to university level academics until last summer, when a filmmaker introduced the concept to the right wing Zeitgeis through high profile interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson in which he assailed diversity training initiatives in government. It became a useful umbrella term for conservatives so that it could apply to a variety of socio cultural ideas they take issue with, in Texas, where the idea of the dangers of critical race theory clearly seemed to have gained traction among conservatives. The new law further states that schools cannot teach quote an individuals should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of the individual's race or sex. Other restriction states that schools cannot quote require an understanding of the sixteen nineteen Project, a project published in the New York Times magazine investigating the history of slavery and race relations in the United States. Before I read any further, I want to talk about that. So you see the language right here, an individual should cannot teach anything that an individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of the individual's race or sex. So on paper, that includes black people, right. So that's how right wing media sells it to white folks, so that it doesn't sound like, hey, look, this is how we protect your kids from becoming liberals. They say, no, we're going to protect all children from feeling guilty about their race. This protects black people too, when the truth is education is how we avoid repeating the mistakes of the past, you know, and for us to know where we come from. That informs us as to why we are where we are and helps us plan where we go from here. And it's very simple. But you understand that if you change a couple of these things around, and you know, sell it to a white voter base, a white conservative voter base, that they'll help you get this across the finish line. And a lot of them, even though they know better. The language allows them to insulate themselves from the reality. They can say, oh, yes, I am doing a good thing. This shit I'm not racist.
Speaker 2: The strategy that they use to maintain their status quo is quite brilliant.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Right, there's only one group of people that would feel guilty about the slave trade, but they don't word it that way. We're trying to protect everyone so that no one feels guilty or ashamed based on their race or gender.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I think that I think that guilt and shame aren't necessarily bad things. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying, if that were true, it's not necessarily wrong. And I would even say that maybe black students might feel some of that too, not that it's bad. Again, I'll explain. My father was a minister, you know, and in the community, that's a high position. His father was a minister, so I come from a line of these folks. My father had his doctorate degree. He was a very educated man, brilliant man. I was proud to be my father's son. I saw the reception that he got in the rooms that he went, and I remember that from a young age. You used to carry me on stages, on podiums with them. I used to be able to sit in the pulpit with them. Later I found out that we descended from slaves. Later I found out that the Church of God in Christ was founded in Tennessee by folks who at one point in time were slaves. You know what I mean, this is my great grandfather and so forth. You know, I come from a church background. So that becomes something you're not so proud of right now. Maybe shame is too strong of a word, but imagine if you're listening to us and you're not a black person, imagine finding out that you come from slaves, you know. And then I'm already young. I mean Compton, California at this time. So the world around me shows me that the white folks on TV live comfortable lives. There's no gunshots on TV. There's no dead bodies where they put blankets on them in the streets, And where I live, where there's black and brown people, it's very much like that. And there's graffiti, and there's loose dogs and all these sorts of things. And that couple of the fact that, yeah, you come from slaves doesn't really make you feel very proud. But I would argue that it is very necessary to come to terms with that, because if you know that, then you know, oh, this is not my fault. I wasn't born bad anymore than a white child who's on the opposite end of that is born good. You have to work on becoming the person that you want to be, and you have to work on shaping the society that you want to see. And I would argue that if you're working on shaping a fair society for everyone, and you're working on establishing brotherhood and sisterhood with your fellow man and with the planet, I mean, that's a bit beyond the scope of what we do with the show. But you know, you know me personally, both of you do that. Now we're really having the conversation that we need to have as conscious beings, all endowed with consciousness from the same creator, whatever you believe that to be. And now you're really living your true purpose. And again, these folks have managed to remove themselves and the narratives so far away from what it actually is and then coax their base in that same direction.
Speaker 2: The thing that's kind of funny, though, is that they would use the same arguments you just made to justify this exactly right, when that's not why they're doing it. You're not trying to protect the fragility or the self esteem of black and brown children.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not at all.
Speaker 2: You just don't want your children to feel bad about their ancestry.
Speaker 1: And then also, and I think about what's paramount above everything, is that knowing where you come from, dealing with where you come from helps you to deal with where you are, and it helps you to know. Like, imagine if you knew that you did come from slaves, right and you're not a slave now, that by itself one plus one equals to that is progress. We used to be slaves or not now. So progress now exists as a concept in my mind. Well, if there is a such thing as progress, maybe we can have more progress. So what other things would I like to change? What other rigid realities exist right now that perhaps we can break out of. We're not born to die, we're not born to struggle, we're not born to do these things, So how can I change my reality? And so, yes, confronting the past really helps you deal with the present, and I believe also helps you, you know, when dealing with the future. So you know, it's a little bit more about critical race theory. But you know, if you're listening to our voice. And you know this comes up around your way wherever it is that you are. Again, there's elected officials. They represent your beliefs. They're supposed to. You can write letters, they're supposed to. If you have children, or if you know children, or even if you are a child, or if you once were a child. You can make a phone call, you can write a letter. You can do It's a very relatively small thing. And again, help create the world you want to see, because these folks are certainly trying to create the world they want to see. And there's more of us than there are of them.
Speaker 2: It's been created our way. They're just trying to maintain it. They don't ever want it to change. They don't want that progress.
Speaker 1: But I maintain there's more of us than there are of them. But we need to get active and get mobilized, and you know, write our own stories and not write other people like this more for us. So with that said, I think it's time for.
Speaker 5: The way Black History fact.
Speaker 4: Wait by my time for that last the last segment. It just feels like they don't want things, they don't want to be viewed the way they view other people. It's always insecurity anyway. But yes, the Party of Lincoln perfect segue parlaying off of last week's episode where we gave the first two out of five facts that you may not know about Lincoln. Number three is that Lincoln thought colonization could resolve the issue of slavery. Now, if you're unfamiliar with what that means, the African state founded by the American Colonization Society in eighteen twenty one is what is known as Liberia. And so Lincoln thought the best idea to solve America's problem was to literally send all African Americans to Liberia.
Speaker 1: I've heard of that, like thanks, take care.
Speaker 4: Nearly a decade later, even as he edited the draft of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, he hosted a delegation of freed black men and women at the White House in eighteen sixty two in the hopes of getting their support for a plan for colonization. Given the differences between the two races and the hostile attitudes of white people towards black people, Lincoln argued, it would quote unquote be better for both therefore to be separated. His support of colonization provoked great anger among black leaders and abolitionists who argued that African Americans were as much natives of the country as white people and thus deserved the same rights. Lincoln never again publicly mentioned colonization, and a mention of it in an earlier draft was deleted by the time the final proclamation was issued in January the next year.
Speaker 1: All right, before you go to the next one, I want to say something about that real quick now. I said on the last episode that we're not trying to necessarily vilify Abraham Lincoln. That's not what we're doing here. What we're trying to do is tell the truth, right, And I want to be fair because I know it to be true that there are black people and have been in the past who share that idea and that sentiment that you know, black folks would be better off moving back to Africa where the society is not or at least perhaps at that time was not built around, you know, the subjugation of black people. And so I do maintain that a lot of perhaps what Lincoln was dealing with at this time was just a function of a man dealing with a political career, a political agenda and that time. But the reason why we need to debunk these myths is because he's often celebrated in ways that are inconsistent with the truth, and history is whitewashed. And you know, we have to deal with the overwhelming amount of whitewashing that has taken place in history and deal with the facts at least on this show. My baff for cutting you off's row, what's the next one? No, you're good.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the context. It is about balance after all. Number four, Emancipation was a military strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew this.
Speaker 4: As we all know, the Civil War was fundamentally a conflict over slavery.
Speaker 1: However, the way.
Speaker 4: Lincoln saw it, emancipation when it came would have to be gradual, as the most important thing was to prevent the Southern rebellion from severing the Union permanently.
Speaker 1: In two.
Speaker 4: So on the back of emancipation, he would further undermine the Confederacy while providing the Union a new source of manpower to crush the rebellion. Yep, So, using emancipation just the word of it was enough to get southern enslaved people to come up to the North. They didn't have a plan for it, so he said, we'll put you on our team. Used the resources against them. It goes on to say that even his preliminary draft received pushback from William Seaward, who urged him to wait until things were looking better for the Union. So they didn't look like they were. It was a last gasp of a nation on the brink of defeat. So he waited.
Speaker 2: And by put you on our team, he means enlisted you in our army exactly.
Speaker 4: So Lincoln got his wish on September seventeenth at the Battle of Antietam. It was enough to help push his proclamation forward, and it was published the following day. As a cheering crowd gathered at the White House, Lincoln addressed him from a balcony. I can only trust in God. I have made no mistake. It is now for the country in the world to pass judgment on it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I do remember that link. I do remember Lincoln using the if if i'd maybe I was I learned this wrong, but I'd have to double check it. But I remember when I first was exploring some of the myths about a Lincoln was that originally his plan wasn't necessarily to free the slaves, and a part of his original terms with the Confederacy was that they would get to keep slavery if some other concessions were made, and then when they said no, then he enacted an early emancipation, which was what you just talked about, squirrel, where some of the slaves from the Confederacy defected to the Union army and fought against them. And that was a battle strategy on his part. So the way that it was originally told to me was that Lincoln was using abolitionists slaves and the what's the word I'm looking for? He usually using the who's manipulating his way through this through the Civil War. Now, I'd have to get that in front of me, but I need to say that that's where I come from. So when i'm so, you know what I'm looking at when I'm looking at this or rather listening to it, and yeah, absolutely it sounds like you know exactly what I learned. What's the source of this?
Speaker 4: Where you gotta getting from history dot com?
Speaker 1: Okay? So the History Channel? Okay, So yeah, I mean, just more about Abe Lincoln again, not to bilify him, but's got one more.
Speaker 4: Oh we do look the last but not least, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't actually free all enslaved people. Oh yeah, knew this too. Okay, this is what you were touching one. So it really only carried weight in the place is where they had no authority. And Lincoln this goes on to say that he made deals with certain areas inside the Confederacy trying to sway white people there.
Speaker 1: That they could keep their slaves. Okay, yeah, I knew I wasn't crazy. Yeah, okay, all right, well yeah, some some abe Lincoln myths. Again, not not trying to knock the man. Honestly, we're we're here now for better or worse, and no matter how we got here, we are here. So there's there's that. But you know, far be it from us to allow whitewashing to continue, or if we can challenge it or really bring some light to it, then you know it's our responsibility to do. And I don't say whitewashing is like a racial way. That's the term as far as I as far as I know, you.
Speaker 4: Just gave a story about how they are limiting the education of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean that's the way it was written. So anyway, I think that's about it for us today on civic Cipher. So once again I'm your host rams' Jah, they call me q Ward to a shout out to our producer DJ Swirl for making it all happen each and every week, and you know, do us a favor. Hit the website Civiccipher dot com. You can download this and all previous episodes. Keep yourselves informed. You know, we do this every week because we feel it's necessary to exist alongside other programming that you're hearing on this radio station. On the website, you can also submit questions and topics that you want us to discuss. Anything going on where you live or that you might know about that. We don't anything we got wrong even you know, we're not above you know, learning lessons ourselves. You can also make a donation. It really helps the show grow. And the show is growing thankfully, so we'll be on in more cities and you know, keep keep keep moving in this direction. Be sure to follow our social media. It's all at Civic Cipher and I guess that'll do it until next week, y'all.
Speaker 2: Peace peace watch that's say.
Speaker 5: Kind of later a record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yo, we had to live. These brothers are fabulous. Our lady showing you where vom travel list who spi tones from sunlight to move, busting on stage like Thenna fights the b rove my mic back. You're like that journalists with journalists too, we can strike back borders with waters from head, borders behind in, the beline sides up, and the borders the press passing.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it.
Speaker 3: Happens, the streets love popping from music and wrapping, the street compland the slash pek expander. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening, it's hot.
Speaker 3: You've got a questions to ask in Deduce's just a TV show.
Speaker 1: You're passing.
Speaker 3: And this from a white wartime journalist head