Speaker 1: Welcome to Books Insider Live. Casey Phillips here a senior writer and editor Scott Smith here to get you guys caught up on all the Buccaneers news that you need because we are midway through OTAs. It is so wonderful. It is the beginning of what feels like real football, even though there's no pads. OTAs to me always feel like the beginning of like, all right, there's some football happening here. There's coaches out there with them, and I always love getting to hear those first impressions, especially when you have something like a new offensive coordinator, where you're getting to hear these guys' first impressions as they start to install this work on the playbook. And we got to hear from someone who is important in this offseason in terms of what this role is going to look like. In the quarterback battle, Kyle Trask was asked about his thoughts on Canalis's offense. So, what were some of the takeaways that you got from that?
Speaker 2: Well, he says, it's a very creative offense. I think that most of the players are really enjoying it so far. Chris Godwin had a lot of nice things to say last week as well. I think, you know, it's probably nice to do something new. Yeah, And for the quarterbacks in particular, they are excited about the fact that Dave's offense will involve a little bit more movement from the quarterbacks, you know, designed rollouts, bootlegs, things like that, and throwing on the run, and that will be a big, big change for the Buccaneers should that come to be. As you can see here, you know, Dave Canals comes to us from Seattle and where he worked under Shane Waldron, the offensive coordinator, and it's expected that the Bucks his new offense will be similar to that one. And as you can see from this chart here on things like designed rollouts, percentage, percentage of plays where you did design rollout, percentage of plays where you threw on the run, percentage of plays where you got outside the pocket, and percentage on the outer side of a percentage of time that the quarterbacks spent in the tackle box. And if you look at this, look at the difference one point two percent rollouts for Tom Brady versus eleven point eight for Gino Smith, which was well above the NFL average, And that little asterisk there shows you that in all those first three categories, tom Brady was absolutely last. And this isn't a bad thing. I'm not saying tom Brady's last, because he's not pretty much last thing anything, right, but the type of plays that were called for him, he was last in all these types of movement plays and except for the last one there, which is when you stayed put, he was very near the top of the list on that one. So that will be probably a very big difference in the Bugs offense this year. And I think we already know Baker Mayfield can move around pretty well, and Kyle Trask Todd Bowle said, Kyle Trask is people are he's a little underrated in terms of how well he moves. And he's also leaned up, as he said, lost about five or ten pounds that he's trying to just be as mobile as possible.
Speaker 3: So he can run a little bit as well.
Speaker 2: So it'll be interesting to see that element of the Bucks offense, and I think the quarterbacks are.
Speaker 3: Excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, and I know that we also want to make sure we get our trivia question out there, not only giving people a few minutes to join the show, We're going to read out the trivia question, and we'd love to hear your answers for it. No cheating, no googling. Honors system here people, So underneath our Facebook live video leave your answers to the trivia question. Scott hit us with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I should point out that Casey has been complaining on and on about how all my trivia questions go too far back in history, and she wanted something.
Speaker 3: From a little more chance.
Speaker 1: I wanted a chance.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'll also point out that when I read it this question before the show, she got it right. So you have to match Casey Phillips to get this right. And the question is who has the most regular season interceptions for the Buccaneers over the past ten years? And then bonus question, who's second on that list?
Speaker 1: Yeah? To be honest, I got the who was first? And then he threw the who was second at me and I did not get that one.
Speaker 3: It was still it was still a good job.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I will take the first one. So again, yes, who's first? And then if you want a bonus one, who is second on that list?
Speaker 3: Again? Both interceptions combined over the last ten.
Speaker 1: Season, Yes, combined our last ten years. Leave that underneath our Facebook live video and we might read out someone's answer if they get it right. So now also we talked about the offensive side of things, defensive side of things in terms of OTAs. It's you know, it's always cool to see who's kind of playing where and who's getting reps where and with what group. And we'd talked about the fact that we were under the impression of Antoine Winfield Junior was going to be back at his main position of safety. Now we've gotten to hear from him about that and his role this year.
Speaker 3: What did you hear from him?
Speaker 2: Even more clarification because he specifically says free safety, that's what he's going to be playing.
Speaker 3: He says he's very excited about being in the middle of the field a lot more now.
Speaker 2: As we've said on some of our other shows, you know, they're still going to use Antoine a round line of scrimmage at time, just because he's such a good tackler and such a good blitzer.
Speaker 3: But playing more of that.
Speaker 2: Center field role will probably give him an opportunity to make more big plays. But also, you know, it would kind of need a bit safety because the safety position with Logan Ryan not coming back, can O'Neil signing somewhere else, Mike Edwards signing with the Chiefs. It's really beyond Antoine. There's not a lot of experience there were I think quite fortunate that the Seahawks took back their tender offer on what could have been restricted for age of Ryan Neil and now was a really nice pickup. And Ryan Neil was actually in Tampa when that happened, and he was very interested in playing for the Buccaneer, so that just worked out really nicely. But still nineteen careers starts for him. That everybody else in the list is either an undrafted creator from last year or this year. They obviously don't have any starts, and that's an opportunity for these guys. There's a real good opportunity for a couple of these guys to actually make the roster despite being undrafted. But again, Antoin Winfield is kind of the you know, the he's not old by any stretch. I think he's going to turn twenty five before the start of the season, but he's the elder statesman in this group.
Speaker 1: Now, as we look at that graphic, I will already say how many times I am going to get names wrong because we had a Logan Ryan, a Kean O'Neil. Now we have a Ryan Neil, and we had a Jordan Whitehead, and now there's another Wise. Yeah, and I'm like, this is I'm just already put it out there. I'm going to get it wrong. I already know, and I know in terms of the schedule, we've talked about this idea of the NFC South and what that's going to look like this year. What are some of the big things that you feel like you took away from that and what it can mean for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did a big long show on the schedule and it first dropped and there were lots of notes in there.
Speaker 3: You can go back and watch it if you want.
Speaker 2: But one that I didn't include them because they didn't have the numbers for it yet was this idea of net days of rest, which people have only really been looking at for the last couple of years. But I think Warren Sharp of Sharp Football announceis always does this every year. The idea of net days of rest is if like say you're playing a team that's coming off of bye and you're not, they have seven more days of rest before that game than you do, but it probably evens out because one week you're going to be coming off of buye right. Well, sometimes it doesn't even out overall because you play more teams coming off of buye or coming off Thursday night games, which is kind of like a mini buy. And so if you look at this, the Buccaneers actually have a negative six net days of rest and that's all because they play three games against teams coming off Thursday night game, so they get that mini buy, so they get like three more days of rest.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then that there's one for the Bucks in that situation. So it accumulates out to negative six, which isn't great.
Speaker 3: It's not at the end of the world. But you can see hear the Falcons have it even tougher.
Speaker 2: Wow, because even the bottom of the list, which is not displayed, or San Francisco which has a negative twenty oh my, which is crazy. It just means they're playing lots of teams coming up bys or coming off mini buys of Thursday game, and that can make a little bit of a difference.
Speaker 3: So it's worth looking at.
Speaker 1: It's not the Saints up there, Yeah, they get everything. I'm sure every Bucks fan is shaking their fist at this graphic.
Speaker 3: One of those is the Saints.
Speaker 2: They're coming when we played them late in the season the week before. They're on a Thursday night, so that's that they'll have extra that's.
Speaker 1: Going to be interesting. What are the things that when you look at the schedule, what are some of the things that you're most excited about when you just kind of look at it from objectively as like a sort of fans point.
Speaker 3: The Lambeau Field in December. I just that saw I came and I was like, oh, that's so awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kind of hoping we go to Buffalo late in year. It's selfish in me because the players probably don't really want to do that, But getting Lambeau to.
Speaker 1: Watch a snow game and in those places and.
Speaker 2: Then and then Monday night football against the defending NFC Champons is pretty exciting too.
Speaker 1: And maybe just kind of give people a reminder of where we're at in the off season schedule. We mentioned earlier that we're in the middle of OTAs, so maybe remind fans where we're at in the overall schedule. What's kind of coming up next to pay attention.
Speaker 2: Right now, the players are probably warming up or getting ready to warm up for the final OTA of this week. OTA means organized team Activity days, and we're in phase three of the off season program, and that's when you can do up to ten OTAs and they're very much like.
Speaker 3: Regular season practices, except.
Speaker 2: You can't put on pads or have contact, but you can run all the drills you normally would, full team seven and seven, nine on seven all that. So his offense going against defense, which didn't happen until OTA started last week. So now they've done, counting today six of them. They'll have four more of them next week, and then after that is the mini camp. And all the OTAs are voluntary, which is important, and it's become much more common, I think for people to for veteran players to maybe pursue their own regimens somewhere else, and for teams to understand that. So nobody's wringing their hands about a couple veterans that aren't there. But the Bucks have had a good eighty players, yeah something, and then you know, here and there you got a guy who's nicked up and can't be on the field. But for the most part, it's been a really good attendance. And then Finally, June thirteenth through fifteenth. I believe Tuesday through Thursday is the mini camp, which is mandatory, so I should see the whole.
Speaker 1: Team there, all right, And then we'll close with the answer to our trivia question that I got right.
Speaker 3: She did the most.
Speaker 2: You know, if you thought about this a little bit, and you've kind of answered it right away, but if you think about it.
Speaker 3: A little bit, you probably can figure out the answer.
Speaker 2: Your mind wants to go to a cornerback or a safety, but think about the guy that's been on that defense starting it all ten years. That's Levante David. He has eleven in that span. He had the one year where I think he had five or six in twenty thirteen his second year.
Speaker 3: But second on the list is a bit surprising. It's Keith Tandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was pretty cool. I like that, especially since he's still on the staff now as a coach. So yeah, we'll have to tell Keith that he was an answer to our.
Speaker 2: Trivia question because like the original Mike Edwards, Yeah, which he didn't always get a ton of playing time, but when he did, he always seem to make interceptions than they were usually at the end of games to close them out.
Speaker 1: And what I love Keith, Sandy Levante, David two of the top good guy awards in buccaneer history. So I love that for Mark, guys, Yes, Mark absolutely all right, Well that is going to do it for us on this edition of Bucks Insider Live. We'll see you next time.