Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: American football season is just around the corner, and once again it's coinciding with some disturbing news.
Speaker 4: There is startling new research out tonight about football and head trauma.
Speaker 2: The largest study of its kind, The American Medical Association studied the brains of two hundred and two deceased football players from all levels who had shown signs of CTE when they were alive. Eighty seven percent had the disease, and among former NFL players, all but one had the disease.
Speaker 3: All but one. For more analysis, we turned to our senior sports analyst. Why would junior everybody? I'm flabbergasted by this. How should football fans react to this new study?
Speaker 1: They should ignore it? The study was inconclusive. It's no need to get all bothered about it.
Speaker 3: But Roy, But Roy, But one of the NFL brains in the study at CTE.
Speaker 1: Exactly one of the brains didn't have it. There's no consensus. I mean, Trevor, what information do we really have on concussions? We got science and some movie where Will Smith tries to sound African. Didn't truth. You can't believe everything you see Will Smith do on TV. So now you also think you can hop in a taxi and go from West Philly to bel Air.
Speaker 5: No, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: Ain't no way a black guy getting the cab across the country. I can't get a cab to Brooklyn. Life isn't a Will Smith movie, Trevor Roy.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you just don't want to admit that football is dangerous, bro.
Speaker 1: I'm just telling you the facts, all right. I'm a neutral observer. I don't even really be watching football for real.
Speaker 3: Oh really, then, what was this celebrity fantasy football marathon?
Speaker 5: Roy Wood Junior is here, Ladies and gentlemen, the Actors Union. Yeah, who are you thinking?
Speaker 1: I know y'all think I'm gonna take this pick solely because of this jacket that I'm wearing.
Speaker 5: But it's not.
Speaker 1: I have statistics to back up this selection. Running back jail Giant Matt Ryan, Mark Crooper, the third most famous Cooper behind Anderson and Bradley. So you just you can you're gonna pull the tapes out on the brother, Okay, you're gonna play tapes on Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean when you're saying you didn't like football, and I have the footage of you doing a celebrity fantasy draft.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, fine, look you got me talking about some football, but I didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh then what was this? We have a gift for Roy? Oh? Dar?
Speaker 5: We do no, no, no, we want to take care of We want to take care of our people.
Speaker 3: We know that you're a big Rice Krispy guy.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: Do you have any regrets about having participated in this thing?
Speaker 1: No? No, this is fine, man, I'm at the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: All the time.
Speaker 1: This is the release. I just relax and eat all this ESPN AFTERIA.
Speaker 5: For a release.
Speaker 3: You need a release from working here. I'm sorry, Roy is working here not fun for you.
Speaker 1: This right now is pretty tense, dude.
Speaker 3: You threw us under the bus. You make it sound like we're not even feeding you.
Speaker 1: Not write Christy treats. Okay, I admit it.
Speaker 5: I love football.
Speaker 1: Trav, and I know it's dangerous, but I just don't want to accept the truth. Football is part of life for a lot of kids. Man. Football is a ticket out of the hood. What are these kids supposed to play now?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Like why not?
Speaker 3: Basketball?
Speaker 1: Basketball is fine, but not if you husky? What the husky, dude is gonna play how many basketball players you've seen out to build like a bag of potatoes.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, fine, it's not realistic to just get rid of American football, but the NFL should at least take better care of its players. Like NFL players only get health insurance for fun five years after their career ends. Why con't the league guarantee its players lifetime healthcare?
Speaker 1: Look, man, where's the NFL supposed to get that kind of money? They only made fourteen billion dollars last year. We've got to think of realistic solutions, like fixing the helmets.
Speaker 5: Oh you mean like make the helmets stronger?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, like, why are they giving players these helmets at all? Trevor, You got you give somebody a helmet, their immediate response is always going to be, hell, yeah, no, I can smash my head in or something. Helmets promote reckless behavior. You put a piece of plastic on your head, you think you would tank. If NFL players are gonna wear something on their head, it should be a reminder not to do that stuff. That's why I made this new helmet. I got this brand new helmet for these players. See that, it says says fragile right there, like like like when you get a delivery of you know, Humble figurines.
Speaker 3: Why are you getting deliveries of Humble figurines?
Speaker 1: They're collectibles, Trevor. And if this helmet doesn't work, I got another helmet idea, this one right here. See, you don't cover up.
Speaker 5: The brain, you put it on the outside.
Speaker 1: Player's gonna be running down the field with the helmet and like, oh, then't touch my brain. Whoa, Oh, get off my brains out here. That's my brain out there, you know what.
Speaker 3: Right, I can't decide if that's the most brilliant idea or the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's brilliant. Man, you want to write Christy.
Speaker 5: Get the hell out of here. Roy would jun never want would be right back.
Speaker 3: Let me get on my show. When you think of the NFL, you're supposed to think of athletes doing exciting things like making amazing catches or throwing incredible pauses and running up the middle into a big pile of people for some crazy reason. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Go around them, you idiot.
Speaker 3: That's what I would have done. But in recent years, the actual football part of the NFL has been overshadowed by off the field scandals, from the Redskins controversy to the black balling of Colin Kaepernick to the league telling players that dark spots on their MRIs was just their brains getting a sun tan. And this week brought a whole new scandal for the NFL when former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores filed a lawsuit accusing the league of racial discrimination against black coaches. Flores claims that teams are interviewing black coaches with no intention of actually hiring them. He says he had an interview with the Broncos where the executives showed up an hour late and clearly hungover, and he had an interview with the Giants that he knew was bullshit because the team had already decided to hire a different white coach, and the way he found out that they had already hired somebody is pretty wild for.
Speaker 6: Us, as he found out from Patriots coach Bill Belichick that the Giants had hired a head coach three days before he was scheduled to have an interview with the team.
Speaker 7: The complaint states on January twenty fourth, Belichick wrote sounds like you have landed. Congrats. Flora's responded saying did you hear something I didn't hear? Belichick texted back Giants. Flora's later texts Belichick to ask if he's texting the right coach before Belichick this is up that he has the wrong man. Sorry, I expleted this up. I double checked, and I misread the text. I think they're naming Dable. I'm sorry about.
Speaker 1: That, b B.
Speaker 3: This is so embarrassing. Why do old people sign their texts like? Do they do that for everything?
Speaker 8: I'm so horny right now, yours truly, Henry. I want you to go to town on my ass affectionately, yours, Linda. Squirt emoji, squirt emoji best wishes, Henry.
Speaker 3: No, but for real, this was a screw up by Benichick and he's a coach, so he can't even blame CTE because this is how Flores found out that he already lost the job that he was about to interview for. About you and you may be wondering, why would an NFL team grant an interview to a black coach if they have no intention of hiring them. Well, for a long time, blackhead coaches in the NFL were just not a thing right. In fact, between nineteen twenty six and nineteen eighty nine, there were zero black coaches, nada. Yeah, during that sixty year period, it was easier to find a black person in space than coaching in the NFL. And finally, in two thousand and two, Johnny Cochrane, yes, the OJ guy. I guess he was rarely into football. He threatened to sue the league if it didn't get its act together, and so the NFL created something called the Rooney Rule, which said that at any time that there's an opening for a new coach, at least one minority candidate has to be interviewed for the job. Which is cool, but now Brian Flores is saying that these interviews he's getting they aren't real. These teams are just going through the motions to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Think of it this way. It's almost like when your mom emails you that her friend from church, her son, is moving to your city and she wants you to be friends with him, and then yeah, you go get a beer with him just to make your mom happy.
Speaker 5: But you know for a fact you're never gonna hire.
Speaker 3: Him as your friend. And Honestly, if you're gonna make someone come to a bullshit interview, the least you can do is let them know ahead of time. Let them know this is a bullshit interview, because that way they can have some fun with it. You know, think how dope would be to get to an interview knowing you're not going to get the job. Then you can give bullshit interviews. So what would you say is your biggest weakness. I'm definitely afraid of footballs, and I also don't know what a footballs is.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: Look, we don't know for certain why Brian Flores didn't get these jobs, but it's clear that the Rooney Rule, despite its good intentions, has done nothing to solve the NFL's black coaching problem.
Speaker 6: The facts are clear that black coaches are not awarded the same opportunities as their white counterparts. Black coaches take longer to get hired, they get fired faster.
Speaker 5: A study found the coaches of color averaged shorter tenures than white coaches, and we're less likely to land another head coaching job after being fired.
Speaker 9: It was an academic study that came out across three decades over one thousand coaches, finding that black coaches were one hundred and fourteen percent less likely to be promoted to coordinated positions.
Speaker 10: Despite the success of coaches such as Tomlin and Tony Dungee, who both won Super Bowls. When it comes to head coaches, the league is nearly as white now as it was in eighteen eighty nine.
Speaker 11: In two thousand and three, when the Rooney Rule was institated, there were three African American coaches in the National Football League. We are nineteen years removed from the institution and implementation of the Rooney Rule, and.
Speaker 5: There is now one head coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Out of thirty two teams in the NFL, there's still only one black head coach, which is fewer than the number of black coaches when the Rooney Rule started. So the Rooney rule is basically as useless as the five second rule. Yeah, bitch, you dropped your food on the floor. If you put in your mouth, that's just nasty. Okay, it's not like bacteria slow to figure it out.
Speaker 5: Is that food?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: That's food.
Speaker 3: And it turns out not only a black coaches still not getting off opportunities, but when they do get the job, they have a much shorter leash than white coaches. Yeah, even if they win, there's still a good chance that they're gonna get fired. Now, is the NFL doing this on purpose to black coaches? Nobody knows. I mean maybe, or maybe it's an unconscious bias. And that's what makes racism so hard to prove these days, because back in the day, when someone's being racist to you, you knew, right, because there'd be upfront. They'd just be like, oh, you you want the hand coaching job? Ha ha, you'll run funny negro I don't even know Negroes is smart.
Speaker 5: Enough to Mike jokes. Did you know that stave? But that's why proving.
Speaker 3: Racism for black people in twenty twenty two can be so frustrating, Right, Sometimes it feels like, you know, you're the only person in a horror movie who actually knows what's going on. You gotta believe me, man, there's a serial killer in this camp. Don't be ridiculous.
Speaker 8: All these sexy teens are probably stabbing themselves to death.
Speaker 3: Come on. But no matter why it's happening, it's clear that black coaches aren't getting the same opportunities in the NFL as their white counterparts, which is pretty demoralizing situation for black coaches to be.
Speaker 12: In NFL owners have stuck to an old game plan when it comes to hiring head coaches, and that in turn has sent morale among black coaches plummeting to a new law. It's now so bad. Football agent Brian Levy convened the Zoom meeting for many of the black coaches he represents to talk about the Rooney rule, part workshop, part therapy session.
Speaker 13: You see guys that are not as qualified that jump ahead of you. Guys that you have trained and that were under you for years that jump. And now, so what is the criteria? You know, the resume doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 5: He's not getting interviewed because he's the qualified coach. He's getting interviewed because they have to hit that quota. You see the black man.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, he's the Rooney That's why he's interviewed.
Speaker 9: He's the Roney man.
Speaker 3: You see the shit. The situation is so bad for black coaches that they are voluntarily having Zoom meetings. Do you know how truly unfair something has to be for football, which is to talk about their feelings. Think about it. Even when they win the Super Bowl, they'll be up on the podium that night, like you play well today, then give the boys twenty minutes off tomorrow and then it's back to the weight room. This is the most exciting day of my life. Well for more on this issue, let's go now to our senior tailgates and correspondence, Roywood Jr. Roy, I believe you're out at Miami Dolphins Stadium right now, and this story is truly a bombshell story.
Speaker 1: It is shocking, Trevor, shocking. I can't believe that racism still exists in the NFL. I mean, they had in racism on their helmets. Are you're telling me that didn't do anything?
Speaker 3: You know, Roy, I'm as shocked as you are. But let me ask you, what do you think of the Rooney rule? Because this lawsuit seems to prove that it hasn't worked.
Speaker 1: The problem with the Rooney rule is that it underestimates racial bias. The Rooney rule says, you don't like black people, we'll hang out with one and see what happens. But nothing happened. So now it's even worse, and you're still hiring the white coach and wasting the black man's.
Speaker 3: Time, right right, So then I just to mention.
Speaker 1: That this rule messes with the black man's self esteem. He's going on all these interviews and doesn't get the job. He's obviously gonna wonder, well, is it me? You're getting little self esteem? That shit starts affecting your whole life. You start having problems with intimacy. Your girl asks what's wrong, but you're too manly to admit that. When you get older, things don't work. It's good. You know what I'm talking about, Trevor. You know exactly what I'm talking about. You've been through this shit. You start growing apart. She leaves you. Next thing you know, she's dating the white coach because he got a good job. Meanwhile, you're at home by yourself watching pawn. You're not even jerking off while you're watching the porn. You're just watching it and eating cheese.
Speaker 3: I think that win's a bit off track, but I get what you're saying, Roy You think the Rooney rule should be abolished.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't say that. We just gotta replace the Rooney rule with the roy Wood Junior rule.
Speaker 3: The Roywood Junior rule, I'm sorry, what is that.
Speaker 1: Oh dog? It's simple. If a team is gonna hire a white guy, but they have to interview a black guy. Then they should just have to fly me out.
Speaker 3: But then doesn't that waste your time?
Speaker 13: Man?
Speaker 1: I ain't got nothing going on except for this stupid ass job. And I get to have a fun weekend, get to fly first class, get the chill in the hotel with a mini bar, hang it out in fun cities, drunk in New Orleans, back tattoos in Miami. I might have a good ass time.
Speaker 3: Dog. Well, Roy, I'm looking here and it says that one of the first available jobs is gonna be in Minnesota, So you want to fly there?
Speaker 1: You want to send a black man to Minnesota in February? What part of in racism do you not understand, Trevor. My skin wasn't made for them type of temperatures. Let the white coaches have Minnesota. They can have that.
Speaker 3: So Roy, you're just gonna give up on Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Trevor, there is a reason that you never saw any black Vikings. You've seen a black Viking. Name one black Viking. Yeah.
Speaker 14: My guest to life is a former from the NFL player and the president of the NFL Players Association. He is a now writer and a commentator, Please welcome Dominique Foxworths. Happy Happy Black History Months.
Speaker 4: Oh, happy Black History Month through too. I appreciate all the white people celebrating. They don't know who I am, but for me anyway, they both think we're in.
Speaker 14: You know what's interesting It is Black History Month and the first day Tom Brady now this retirement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and on the day or that, we're leading up to the Super Bowl. First two black quarterbacks in the Super Bowl ever.
Speaker 5: And we also had we also had.
Speaker 4: Over the weekend what I believe to be the blackest moment playoff history. I don't know if you saw Patrick Mahomes Daddy on the sideline, Patrick Levn Mahomes Daddy on the sidide.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 4: It sounded so much like my black uncles.
Speaker 5: When you say his name, then you know it's gonna be Oh. Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was the familiar den of a black Oh. It sounded like a like a love of baseball cap that high, the jewelry I'm smoking on that jump.
Speaker 5: Just like ball.
Speaker 14: But it is it's historic. Two black quarterbacks started for the first time. And then what does that mean to you? A former player?
Speaker 5: Meaning you?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it represents I hate the word progress, but it does kind of represent some progress. I mean, there's lots of other things in the NFL and in the world, frankly, that we need to work towards. But one thing that we've had to finally accept is black quarterbacks are perfect leaders, perfect quarterbacks, and.
Speaker 14: The problem was that they didn't think they had the intelligence.
Speaker 4: It's one about the intelligence and also in the leadership, and it's also about y'all.
Speaker 5: Like frankly, it's about what the.
Speaker 4: What the quarterback represents on a football team. It's something that white people in America in general were never comfortable with seeing a black person represent that. So it's been it's been great to see not only have so many successful black quarterbacks, and we saw even some quarterbacks that are black that are.
Speaker 5: Good, which is showing progress.
Speaker 4: Too, because we could be just as shit you, I mean, that is that is progress. But the most like exciting thing about it is the future of the league. The best quarterback that I think any of us have ever seen is Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 14: I think I've never seen anybody be able to do the things he does. Now, you gotta, of course, you got to be great over a long period of time because there are people who started out the way I thought what Cam Newton was doing was remarkable then and then and then you see what happens. It's interesting because we talk about football and there's there's a market difference between the way players in the NFL are treated and the way players in the NBA are treating. And I think primarily it is the ownership. I think that the ownership in the NFL has a decidedly different view of their commodity than the NBA does. Like you would never see an NFL an NBA owner talk to a major star like NFL. If somebody talk to Lebron James like they talk to some of these stars, it will be over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Lebron James has a disproportionate amount of power. But like singling out the NFL, and trust me, I'm not going to be up here defending the NFL, But the NFL exists in our society and frankly, NFL is no different than any.
Speaker 5: Other absolutely workplace.
Speaker 4: And so like the hierarchy that exists in the NFL is like it's going to be blacker at the bottom and or minorities at the bottom, and you go up higher and higher and there's less risk. There's less danger, there's less injury, there's less pain, but there's more money, there's more success, there's more protection. And that's like, that's truly NFL and frankly, that's true in the NBA, that's true everywhere.
Speaker 5: Everywhere that y'all work is true. It's true in this building. Sorry, they may not have Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, not today, not today.
Speaker 14: You know, it's interesting because we watched When I watched what happened to Hamlin on the field, I was personally like like, I'm I watched football very long time, and I'm sure you've seen a lot of injuries. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that. And the way that the players reacted, it was, it was it was hurtful. I mean, obviously you were sad that somebody was suffering. They were, but it was such a beautiful human moment because the NFL got to be human. Like the coach was like, we ain't playing this game, and I'm like, yes, you are exactly. So you got to see men that just were empathic and and just men who were crying and praying and not because they wanted a little loss because they were praying for for somebody who was in it.
Speaker 5: I played for I played a long time.
Speaker 4: I was in a game where a player got paralyzed on the field and he was taking off. We waited five minutes, warmed up, and played again. I played in a preseason game where a player died in the locker room afterwards. Like, I've been around some ugly parts of football, but to your point, I've never seen anything.
Speaker 14: What do you think was different about that that particular play?
Speaker 5: Is his heart stopped on the field.
Speaker 14: I mean, but we've seen people pass out. We've seen people have but it was something different about that. That may because I didn't think it was all that bad at first. I passed out during COVID so, but there was the way because I think that people are used to certain types of injuries or seeing certain types of things. But that scared everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the reaction from the players really like scared all of us. And I think this all goes back to the original conversation that we were having about like American culture and the hierarchy that exists. Is you show up at those games as a player, and you know that there is no limit to the risk that you're.
Speaker 5: Taking, right, what would you do with them? Well, you do it because you grow up.
Speaker 4: So when you were a kid and you want to play football, you decide before your like of clear mind. Then you show a propensity for it. If people just keep pushing along, keep pushing along. And nothing's wrong with that. And frankly, when I came up, we were unaware of the ct stuff that came out while I was in with that.
Speaker 5: To change your mind, I like to think it would, but I doubt that it would.
Speaker 4: And to be honest with you, I don't begrudge any of the players now for participating in a game knowing the risk that it takes. The thing that frustrates me is there is a cap on the amount of money they can make, on the amount of healthcare they can receive. The league negotiates for a cap on that, but on the other side, the owners, the coaches, the general maner, that's.
Speaker 14: The players really, because if NFL players didn't play, that shit would be rugby, right, Yeah, And I think the goal is to make you pretend like you don't have a choice, of believe you don't have a choice. You go through some of the finest institutions of hire learning. On the face of there, you went to Harvard, You're a very bright man.
Speaker 5: But to make you believe that you're beholden to a.
Speaker 14: Thing because of your mind is the biggest game in town.
Speaker 4: So I agree and I understand. So to be clear, I went to Harvard Business School. I'm aa turp.
Speaker 5: Through and through. But the first he's down playing Harvard.
Speaker 14: Yeah, man, I know somebody went to the New school.
Speaker 5: I would say.
Speaker 4: Quality callback Harvard is no news school. I would say that I get your point. And I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but like we all exist in the society, and I think the players as.
Speaker 5: A whole, solidarity is power.
Speaker 4: If they stop playing, you can get what you want, and all of us can get the things that we want if we band together. But the challenging thing about negotiating with the owners, it's the same thing that we all face, is trying to change the system that's in trench the people who are already in power in that situation. So if you are to strike, if you're a player, to if you're a group of players, to get what you want, that's essentially a war of attrition. The commanders the Washington football team, this report is going to sell for eight billion dollars. How do players win a war of attrition against them? And then you compound that by the fact that.
Speaker 5: We get pressure from everywhere.
Speaker 4: No one comes down so rarely. I think it's changing some now, but so rarely do fans come down on the owners when there's an issue.
Speaker 5: Not at all.
Speaker 14: They mad at the players because that's the face that they or they can't even see the face because they have a helmet on. I think you guys have a tremendous amount of pressure on you externally because if you're an athlete, people aspire to be and there's amount of external pressure that society from a civic perspective, from a cultural perspective, from activism perspective. So and it's really important because the only time generally they see black people were running, jumping, singing and dancing.
Speaker 5: It really is.
Speaker 14: It's the only time we have everybody's rapt attention. And so how do you balance the fact that you are a professional, you have commitments, you have to you're obligated to, but you still have a commitment to making things better for a community.
Speaker 5: It's so it's unfair, but that's life.
Speaker 4: It's unfair that that responsibility falls on black players because it doesn't fall on black on white players, Like no one has this expectation of white players to do the same thing, but as black players, they all know that that expectation falls on them. But I think Howard Bryant wrote a great book called The Heritage about the history of activism and athletes, and it's changed. The position of the players and activism has changed, and I think that that's incumbent on us as spectators and people who care about it to understand that athletes aren't activists anymore.
Speaker 5: As much as they.
Speaker 4: Are like flashlights, right, they are not entrenched in the fight and the way that say Kareem Abdul Jabbar was, which is fine. So when they get an opportunity and they say, look over at Tyree Nichols, then it's our job to jump in because we can't expect them to commit themselves to being the best in the world and then also commit themselves to be on top of the latest reading in the latest.
Speaker 5: Like it's self preservation.
Speaker 14: Virtually every skill set that got you on that field, will get you makes you a hero on Sunday, will make you a target on Monday. If you big, you fast, you strong, and you black on Sunday, that's an attribute on the streets of the of this country. It is a detriment. So it is self preservation. There's one there's only one standard.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 14: Do what you can to the best of your ability. Do what you can for as long as you can, for all that you can. And I think that one thing I will say about you, even if I got a chance to meet you, I.
Speaker 5: Love how area dice you are.
Speaker 14: I love how nuanced you are because most things aren't just black and white and and and I love how you don't just depend on your physicality. You have never just depended on that. But I hate it how you play. You said, I went to horma term now nobody would ever put it Maryland any resume.
Speaker 5: I would. But it ain't no new school.
Speaker 14: You see that there's a pretty broad continued experience with the way the NFL was then it is now. Are you more hardened or more disappointed by the direction that's going.
Speaker 5: I think that's a tough question. I think I am. I think that it's not about.
Speaker 4: The NFL, and I'm guilty of this is as much as anybody else as we think of the NFL as a single entity, which like, yeah, it's an institution, but the NFL is made up of a bunch of different things. And the most important entity in the NFL is the players. And so that gives me optimism because I've never been more impressed, more excited, more invigorated by not only the talent, but the perspective and the engagement of these players. We talked about Patrick Mahomes and how he's the best quarterback in football right now and on a trajectory to be one of the best of all time. He spoke out he was one of the first faces in that video about Colin Kaepernick.
Speaker 5: And I know that Colin Kaepernick's.
Speaker 4: Not back in the league, but the idea that a black quarterback who can obviously avoid this conversation if he wants to, like they, that opportunity is presented to him time and time again, and he does not. And that's an example to everyone else and players like Lamar Jackson who are willing to be outspoken in fight for players right, like all of these players in the league, and it's not just the black players, it's the white players also, Like the league is in so much better place because of the players, And if only the players like really understood that there is just.
Speaker 14: An interest in making sure you don't realize everything you have. You have because somebody look like you sacrifice.
Speaker 1: That's why you have it.
Speaker 5: You want to lead the union. I don't even pay my.
Speaker 14: Dude, what would the you're you're older, now, you have a family, you've been married, You've lived in various places, You've seen in the world. What would the adult you tell the rookie, the wide eyed, the wide eyed for the wide eyed kid that were walking through what would you tell.
Speaker 5: You have as much fun as you can. Oh, no, that's a different conversation. That's that's when the cameras going.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I think the most important thing is to get as many different experiences as possible. And we are so focused and we're celebrating. I did a bunch of ESPN stuff today celebrating tom Brady's career, and his career deserves to be celebrated. It was great, And part of the reason why it was so great was because it appeared to me that nothing else was more important than football to him. And that's fine. If you could be tom Brady. Not everybody can be tom Brady and I know that having all these other experiences, the tough thing about being a player in professional sports is your skills aren't applicable anywhere else. So if you don't hit that home run. And this goes back to like the challenge for being a player versus in the ownership class. If you are a player and you play three to four years, then the league minimum goes up and you're out of the league, and your experience, I mean sets you up to be a bouncer like what you are in a tough situation. So like, one of the things that I did, and I would encourage all the players to do, is get involved in the union as much as possible. That like that helped open my mind to how many other opportunities there were out there in the world. Get involved in community things obviously, and also like when you have time. One of the things that we negotiated was for longer off season. Sure, use that off season to go do something. It'll make you a better football player, it will make you a better person, make you better husband as fuck.
Speaker 14: I just I dig talking to you, but I'll say this. I want you to understand this. I truly wants you to understand this, and Most of the men who are on that football field go to the finest institutions of higher learning in the world. It is not their physical attributes, it is their minds. And when you understand that your mind is the most valuable police a real estate on the face of the earth, they can't beat you.
Speaker 5: They can't.
Speaker 14: It is not your Your body will fail you wait before your mind? Does you know you you're here not because your physical You may think that because you hurt yourself you're here, but your mind was ready. And these maybe I'm just you know, I got the GDS for who am I to say? But if you go to college, drop by a class every once in you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You ain't got to be the new school.
Speaker 14: Dominique Fox work you want to go? You vocast Dominique Fox for the show?
Speaker 5: Okavin that shorty right? We'll be.
Speaker 13: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten.
Speaker 3: Central on Comedy Central and.
Speaker 5: Stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Pluffs.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast