Speaker 1: Look Mayre.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see you look over there is that culture. Yes, wow, lost.
Speaker 1: Culture did dull lost culturistas calling?
Speaker 2: All right, bo, now we both have some topical things to discuss.
Speaker 1: We do. I think you have the more pertinent thing, which is that you went to the big festival. Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: I wish to go to the festival, and I did go to the festival, the festival being in the Coachello Day Festival. Yes, I went. I had. It was the first time I ever went. I'm back from the desert. I'm gonna call my experience a nine out of ten.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It was really wonderful in that like it was a new experience and it was many good experiences. I will say it rotated between being the worst moments of my life and then like it was like an hour of the best and then two minutes of the worst, like when you're in like very So then that nine at ten, that just brought it down to a nine. But I experienced much culture there. Rosalia is unbelievable. I mean it's just insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I saw the Chemical Brothers. Do you know about them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The Chemical Brothers are true classic irk, the true icon. Chemical have been around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sort of got into a state and then watched them and it was really amazing. Muna absolutely killed it. It was so boy genius came out. It was unbelievable. The one thing I'll say is, and I don't even know whether or not it's like, I don't think so honey, but the Frank of it all, the Frank Ocean of it all. Right, So I was there very much experiencing the Frank Ocean breakdown as it was happening, and I would say it was almost too confusing and concerning to be I don't think so Honey level, because there was so clearly something wrong and something going on that he just was that late, was that lame, and then left that abruptly. It was just I felt bad for everyone that really went to that music festival just to see him, which was a lot of people. It felt like, right, it wasn't a good vibe.
Speaker 1: I haven't quite dissected this for myself yet, but it just I feel like as a viewing public, we have seen a version of this happen, not at this scale. Maybe it's Coachella, but you know, I feel like there are experiences where I've seen an artist I won't name names. I've seen an artist like really like, you know, when that does happen, it's like you can't really like jeer and boo because it's like, Okay, that person, there's something going on that we can't really weigh in on, and that's okay, and maybe that maybe that's the situation for Frank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was no jeering or booing. It was more of sort of just like thousands and thousands of people sort of being like oh hmmm, yeah, yeah, and then we all kind of left. They built a roller, not a real skate ring. They built an ice skating rink for his performance on the stage, and then had to melt the ice skating rink and break it down because he decided he didn't want it, and then came out and sang I think between five and six songs, but with long breaks in between.
Speaker 1: It was odd.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, there's only three headliners and one of them is like rare. Then it's kind of like, oh and it's the Sunday night, so then it ends on a bad note. But overall it was really fun. Black Pink was in the area. They were very fun. Those girls really they do have choreo down, and that's actually a rural culture. Number nineteen Black Black Pink. Those girls they really do have choreo down. The four of them together, they simply dance and sync. They really do.
Speaker 1: I love that this was your first music festival. I've only been to one. It was at the now defunct Mile High Music Festival in two thousand and nine. This was years ago, and I have not gone back since you did break your known new gay men policy. I do want to point out you didn't meet some new gay people, and I feel like you've betrayed your own values.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, criticism from you. First of all, I don't need any policing from you. Okay, just just before you get into this right now and then tradition into whatever it is you having gone. I don't need the criticism from you. I can reinstate and game not criticize it at any pace. No, because you have a tone, you really don't have it.
Speaker 1: To know, there's no tone. I'm pretty neutral, I feel, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, well now so far so neutral. Now, what's going on with you bo i?
Speaker 1: This just happened before we went on the zoom. There is something going on with gay men in my life who I might have gone on one date with that you know, was perfectly mid fine mid maybe not gone on a date with, maybe skipped to like the saucier parts and skip the date altogether.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you skip right from the meeting to the sauciness. And that's gay culture, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: And that's gay culture. But there's there, there are men from all of these buckets who are in the last week reaching out to be like, Hey, will you host a gala for my work or something?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I ay, gala.
Speaker 1: Not a gay gala, but like they'll work at some I don't know, they'll work at some company, and they go, we have this meeting, this is like retreats adjacent thing, and they'll be like, will you host it? And I'm like, I don't know what to say. I haven't heard from you. This is how you're gonna zombie me. I don't think so, honey, This is not my I don't think so honey. That'll I have a totally different thing that feels also pertinent.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just noticing that and I have to unfortunately dig further down into no new gay men policy for myself, right that's.
Speaker 2: Just because the thing that feels like is happening with you is that you meet a new gay men and suddenly they're asking me to host a gala. And I know that all the girls out there listening to this are sort of understanding they said meta, they're asking me to host their gala, and I'm sure no one's going to feel extremely specifically targeted by this and listening.
Speaker 1: I never said that this was a universal experience. I understand this to be pretty unique. I just think it seems universal on the other end, where the unifying gay experience right now is to ask Bowen Yanko Gala to host your gala and I don't think I can do it.
Speaker 2: And have you said no to all galas?
Speaker 1: I have not said no to all gallas. No, no, no, I'm not ruling out gallas. I'm just noticing that there is this uptick of gallas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is galaus season. It's it's galas season. People are sort of getting out their best galla gowns.
Speaker 1: When is the met Gala again? I think it's in two weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so soon. See what I'm saying. It's gala season, So we've sort of come out of Facy season and into Gala season. Mercury is going back in retrograde and a mistake there, no mistake. And can I just clarify I don't like gay men still since the beginning of this year. I don't like gay men anymore. I'm just willing to tolerate them in small groups. But you should have seen me at Coachella. But you would have been very well you went to Coachella. Yeah, well, a gay man would sort of approach and I would sort of do this. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You say over there, move in, You'll go over there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Move in? Is the slowgan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Keep it moving, oh yeah, keep it moving. Tweaker. But here's the thing. So we've both had our experiences at festivals in Gallas, which so far is the title of app Festivals and Gallas. But basically what's happening now is this is a moment in time for the podcast and for the culture at large.
Speaker 1: I would say, bo absolutely, and I think it's relevant to bring up like our sort of general social malaise between you and I. I'm just like, I don't really want to like engage too much with people right now. What I will do is completely withdraw, retreat in a healthy way, and watch everything our guest has been in. Literally watch every interview that is on YouTube of our gap. Because you described it as ASMR. It's ASMR. There's just something so it feels like aqua for it feels like something like an ointment. It feels like something that can heal. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent to can I say. I think I've said this on the podcast before, but if you ever want to feel safe, just sit yourself down in front of the work of our guests and you will feel taken care of, You will feel healed, you will feel entertained. And isn't that what you want out there? If you're listening to this podcast right now, do you not want to be entertained. If that's not the case, then don't watch our guest work. I mean, I don't know what to say. I said last week on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you're not ready for a fucking ten, then turn off the Melanielinsky Project. If you're not ready for a ten. This is one of the coolest days we've had on the podcast so far. I can't believe it's just going to be a Wednesday drop. It doesn't follow weeks of fanfare. It's just going to be something we give to the readers on a Wednesday. These lucky fuckers, I am so excited. I mean, it's like literally fruitless to list all the credits. What you need to know, right, true, is that our guest is absolute as gay men say, we would know because we don't talk to them anymore. But turning the party diva's down, we need a triage. These divas that are collapsing on all sides of our guests on Yellow Jackets on showtime just a true legend.
Speaker 1: Bo a true legend, I gosh. I mean the irony is that her work is healing, even though recently of late it is brutal, extremely violent between yellow Jackets, between candy, between the last of us. People are dying left on these shows, left and right, and our guest is dying. Our guest is dying constantly by entities by either you know, a mushroom guy or Jessica Biel. You just you never know.
Speaker 2: What would be worse. Well, I guess we can ask our guests.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll ask our guests, who is it worse to be murdered by? That'll be the first question. We're so honored and thrilled she is here. I briefly got to meet her earlier this last year. It was the highlight of the Emmys night for me. I was like, I don't care what happens. I got to meet her, I got to meet Jason, I got to meet Tanya, I got to meet Julia, I met every I got to meet Oh my god, everybody. Oh my god. It was so stuck, especially our guest Christina was there. I couldn't believe it. We're so so thrilled. Wow. Everyone, please welcome into your ears me Lyn.
Speaker 3: Wow, Oh my god, you guys, that's such a nice introduction. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Well, we had to basically, after we tortured you with the mic setup we had, we had to do some.
Speaker 3: Sorry I tortured you with the mic set up. No, I was not prepared with all the different things. I'm so bad at it.
Speaker 1: It's our responsibility to educate and we didn't do that, and I think we we failed you and Doug. Thank god for Doug. Doug was able to swoop in and save the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doug did a wonderful job. Everybody educated me. It was my fault only.
Speaker 2: No, we're putting this to you now. Who was it worse to be murdered by a sea of mushroom people? Are Jessica Biale?
Speaker 3: Probably a sea of mushroom people?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was more technical. I mean, Jessica, we choreographed like a big fight scene that we had to do together, and it was it was very heartbreaking and difficult, but it was also kind of an incredible experience. Anytime you get to work with Jessica bial it's pretty amazing. I really love her.
Speaker 2: You love Jessica bial that's.
Speaker 1: I love really good to know.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love her. And as an actor, she's so exciting to work with. There's so much happening. Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 2: She's underrated.
Speaker 1: She's very undergraded. Extremely Yeah, you were saying she was giving. She's one of those actors who gives something different on every take. It's like a Juliette Lewis kind of thing where it's like, oh my gosh, nothing.
Speaker 3: Is to Juliet Lewis. Nothing except for Juliet Lewis is a Juliet Lewis experience. It's just that you're just kind of witnessing and you're just like what's going to happen? Wait, it's so amazing. But yeah, Jess definitely like give something different, is very very present, very connected. It's really it's great.
Speaker 1: The whole last episode of Candy Matt, have you seen it? I mean no, it's scary, it's gory. Like I think.
Speaker 2: The thing is the thing is that you'd like it. With everything, I at least peek in. Okay, I at least peek in on everything. But that's been my thing with Yellow Jackets is it is. As I'm sure you know from working quite extensively on the project, it is what i'd refer to a brutal and relentless show.
Speaker 3: I know I've heard you talk about it on the podcast.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I love it. I I'd love this podcast. My friend Matt told me once that, you guys, he's wonderful. He's been one of my best friend since we're fifteen years old in New Plymouth, New Zealand. Oh cool, and he lives here in Los Angeles now, thank god. But he was like, I can't believe you don't listen to that. He was like, it's so weird to me that you don't listen to last called Touristas I was like, I'm not really like a podcast person, and he was like, well that's okay, full judgment. He really judged me for it. So then I started just to tell Matt like, you know, I gave it a chance, and then I was in love, obsisted. I had to go back into the archives.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're not going to archives.
Speaker 3: He is quite far back into the archives, like it was all I would listen. Oh no, yeah, no, it's great. There has not been a bad episode.
Speaker 1: I see that. That is the big claim we've had over three hundred.
Speaker 2: They're okay, sure, we're not talking about Meleylansky's filmography here where there's actually no bad things. I was just no, I mean, I was actually just reading an interview with you in my in my research, but you were saying your number one thing is to pick good scripts or things that you think have the potential to be lasting, or a project you want to be a part of, and not necessarily like looking what the role is for me, et cetera. You said you got that advice from Matt Damon, and I wonder like when that changes for you, when it bridges from being like I'm a working actor, I'm really just trying to get the next job to when you can be more discerning and when you can feel like you can actually like, you know, key into the things that you think are substantial. Like, do you remember when that point was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I tried to do that even when I didn't have very many options. I you know, even just auditioning for things. I tried to not audition for things that I didn't feel somewhat passionate about. I didn't always have that option. There were times when I just needed to work like everybody. But then at a certain point, I think it was like after the movie I did with Matt Damon, I did a couple of other movies that year that were well received, and things kind of shifted a little bit after that, and I get to be a bit more picky. So I was lucky to have just gotten that great advice from Matt Damon.
Speaker 2: Well, thank god for Matt Damon on set. Thank God he's going to be kicked. I picture Mat Damon in my mind. I like, let me tell you something. Is he running the room.
Speaker 3: No, he's very charismatic, but he's not. He's kind of the only famous person that I've ever been around where you don't know when he's into the room, like you can kind of sneak up behind you on the shoulder and you're like, oh, Matt Damon. Everyone else there's sort of like a thing of feeling and people kind of like but he can just he can kind of be undetected in a way that a lot of other famous people can't.
Speaker 2: He should work in a hunted have.
Speaker 1: I s.
Speaker 2: Amazing, very incredible.
Speaker 1: This is truly the most like I or ely anecdote I can say right now. But I can confirm this because I literally this was last week. I walked into work. I walked onto the eighth floor of work. We share the same floor as Seth Myers. He must have been there to promote air. But literally, I like walk, i walk out, I say hi to some crew guys. I'm like hey, what's up, Hey, what's up? And then out of nowhere, he like bounds out of the hallway, taps me on the shoulder says, hey, how's it going man. I was like, oh hey, I was like, oh, just some I was like, that's some guy who works here. I was like, wait, no, that was that was Matt Damon. And it was that thing of like he just kind of like is able to like blend into the sort of ambient aspect of whatever space he's in. And I'm like, that is impressive. That is truly amazing.
Speaker 3: It is really impressive. And I think it's why he's kind of both like movie stat and character actor, because he can like disappear into a role in a way that like so many famous people can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll never forget true, like Goodwill Hunting, Like, it's so funny that he does like sort of disappear in my everyday life because Goodwill Hunting just remember like him on screen and his like side bang, Remember that Iconic's nineties side bang they would all have, and He's.
Speaker 1: Like him and Leo were really yeah, oh yeah, they were.
Speaker 2: Kings something like sort of flop hair. And of course I don't use flop as a pejorative here, and flop is not being used in a derogatory way. I'm using simply as to describe the shape of their hair, which I'm sort of doing right now in the Zoom. But that was like peak nineties hair. It was like that like sort of Dawson's Creek, but elevated to an Oscar caliber film. You really couldn't do better than that. And for someone who really blends into a room, even a studio eight h aro on sets of films, he absolutely explodes off the screen. And we celebrate Matt Damon for that, and we want to announce that Matt Damon is a finalist. Oh my god, really he's a finalist. Congrats Matt. This is the biggest honor of your career.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's probably up there you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very nice, Melanie. We're gonna get some returns by the end of the episode. But I think there's a really good shot that you are a finalist as well.
Speaker 2: Know you're a finalist. Do you know what it means to be a finalist?
Speaker 3: I do know what it means.
Speaker 2: It's a new term. Okay, great, because it's in the lexicon.
Speaker 3: No, it's a brand new tune. But I listen, I heard it. I heard you talking about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about it. I know that Dacy Kadden.
Speaker 2: Is she's a finalist. She's going to be Thrilled's gonna be yeah, absolutely, she's going to be thrilled to hear you say her name out loud. You first of all, let's let's stop it right there, because here's the thing. I think people often forget that you have this accent because you are a master of dialects. But then you do a spittake and almost spit off your coffee as I'm saying that. But the thing is, it is true, Like how did you get so good at this?
Speaker 3: I just watched a lot of movies, really said, I'm good at it.
Speaker 2: So it's not like intensive, like like speech and dialect training at university.
Speaker 3: No, I never waked it. I went to university for a year. Did go to university for a year, No, I did say. But there was sometimes when I would have a dialect coach on set for a job, and I would try to get as much information from them as I could about other accents so I could.
Speaker 1: Like Alabama, it was so perfectly keyed in for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you. We had a dialect coach for that who was wonderful.
Speaker 1: Her name was always helpful.
Speaker 3: She was concerned, she was concerned about the accent, getting the accent right.
Speaker 1: I don't know about her, y'all.
Speaker 2: I don't know about Melanie. Lynskey said that.
Speaker 3: She's always been very supportive.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she cried we saw each other at the Emmys and she burst into tears.
Speaker 1: What Oh yeah. I was like, look where.
Speaker 3: We both are. We're both nominated, I know. I was like, you have an oscar.
Speaker 2: We got to get you one of those.
Speaker 3: You've been in this position before. But it was so sweet that she was like moved by it and like happy for me. It was really sweet. Sweet.
Speaker 2: We love reesing this house.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's so good.
Speaker 2: You have to have so many like old friends, like from starting out, because I mean, let's just say it started. It all started with Heavenly Creatures, which was your first time.
Speaker 3: Acting, my first time acting like like traditionally yeah, outside of like a school play or local theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was what ninety five.
Speaker 3: We filmed it in ninety three and it came out in ninety four, right, Yeah, I was fifteen when I did it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so that's you and Kate Winslet, and she's sort of iconically still around. We actually just saw her in Avatar to the Way of Water.
Speaker 3: Oh, who did you talk about It's the first time I wanted to see that movie was after you talked about it.
Speaker 2: Suddenly, Yeah, you don't have an interesting Avatar?
Speaker 3: No, sorry, I don't.
Speaker 1: That's okay, no problem. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't understand it. It's hard for me to connet.
Speaker 2: Sure you're not one with the no so many billions are It's okay, I don't.
Speaker 3: So many billions. Yes, they don't need me.
Speaker 2: But I would imagine it's like this thing of like you'll be at an event or something like like let's say that Emmys or Critics Choice or whatever it is, and you'll look around and you'll be like, oh, I know I've known that person for like thirty years.
Speaker 3: In some cases, yes, yeah, that does happen. I know it's so weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's so old. No, no, no, but that's it's just that like for you to describe the scene and don't look up where you're like throwing kills at Leo right like he walks back in with Kate Blanchette. You're like for you to say that, like Kate Blanchette being in the room was comforting to you, that like, oh my gosh, this is my old friend. For Kate Blanchette to be this comforting presence because of your friendship over the years, I think that's like where it's sort of all sort of it cashes in, like these relationships that you've built for you know, such a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could not believe what my brain was telling me that day, Like, thank God for Kate. It's gonna be the one. It's gonna keep me calm and make me feel safe and okay, because I didn't know Adam McKay, I didn't know Leo, you know, nobody.
Speaker 1: Those first day of work.
Speaker 3: It was my first day of work.
Speaker 1: Oh wow wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's very grateful. Yeah, I know, so scary.
Speaker 1: I love that scene so much. And by the way, this is the big question that I wanted to ask you for a very long time, which is like I think you've said multiple times that your acting is is very instinctual. You're you know, you're not as precise as you would say other actors might be about like Okay, it's gonna be this and then this and this and then this is there's no like sequential thing to it. Yeah, and yet I always find your performance is so precise and specific and like even even in yellow Jackets like last week, where you know, you know, your daughter's like, so you killed a guy and then you're like, yeah, well no, like you just the face journey there is already so.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: And I find it so interesting that you that this comes so naturally to you, and that is that is like a true mark of your skill. I guess I think.
Speaker 3: People just have different ways of working. Like I remember once I was on a flight and I was sitting next to somebody who was like highlighting all the different lines in their script with a different color highlighter and then going over their lines, and like I could see her choosing the gestures she was going to make like when she did the lines, and like practicing the same gesture like over and over on the line, and I just was like, isn't that interesting? Like it took everything in me to not just turn around and watch, because it's such a different process to really like map it out in that way. I don't know, I just have to let it happen. And it can be challenging if you're working with an actor who's not like giving a.
Speaker 1: Lot, because see, of course it's not collaborative.
Speaker 3: It's not collaborative, and you can feel like you're kind of running uphill and doing too much in that case. But I really do like to just see what happens when we get there.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine like being on a plane or whatever, and you have your script and you're sort of highlighting your script and you're rehearsing your gestures, and then you look over and Melanie Lensky is sort of staring at you, like perplexed, like like like, oh no, I'm I'm rehearsing my big gestures. This is not what.
Speaker 3: Judgment no judgment on It's just so different, you know. I just was fascinated by the process, Like that's a lot of wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one time I was. I was working with someone one time who it was very clear was not going to look at me during the scene, but they were sort of looking where they were going to look and like doing They were sort of doing like a picture for the camera, but it was not acting. They were sort of giving just like pictures for the camera like they were doing. And then there was me sort of sing there but like that, I guess that happens. That's that's film acting for some people. I'm sure they were very eas to edit. Later. Probably the editor probably was like, oh, this dream a series of pictures for me to put together.
Speaker 3: I know I feel bad for editors.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but I feel like all of your things. I feel like you do have this continuity with all your scenes too, like oh, like the left arm was up and the left arm was up in the next in the next cut or something.
Speaker 3: That's editing. That's the hard work of editors, because I'm never paying attention to that. It's terrible, terrible.
Speaker 2: The script supervisors are like, Melanie, your left arm wasn't up in the air on that one. We needed We need you back to where you were, queen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I try.
Speaker 1: But so you're just one highlighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, speaking of your older stuff, like we were talking about ever After, as I'm sure you heard because we were talking about Drew Barrymore on the show.
Speaker 3: Yes I did.
Speaker 2: That was that your appearance on Drew Barrymore was so and obviously it went viral online, like you and Jason being there together. Yeah, but I just wanted to say, like you guys like that, it's beyond adorable. It's just like aspirational, especially as people out here who who now have like no new gay men rules because of our own recent or storied like you know, attempts to make relationships happen and stuff. What I was really like moved by and heartened by and made me feel hope again. Was you know, the bravery with which he came forward and was like sitting there and was like, yeah, like I had a lot of problems. I was really struggling, and then I met the love of my life and I decided to better myself for that person. And I just like, I was so inspired by that, because not everyone is like that. What was the response that you guys got from that? And what was it? I don't know if that was something that you guys had talked about, much like you probably intrinsically knew, but then there you are, like hearing him do this and really pouring his heart out and putting it out there. I was like, I wonder what that felt like.
Speaker 3: I was so surprised. He and I I've had a lot of conversations about everything because we've had to in therapy, but I didn't know he was going to talk about that, and it's not something that he has talked about publicly a whole lot, and neither has drew until very recently. And you know, I've been on I've known her for so many years and been on the journey with her of her process towards getting to this point in her life and the same with Jason, Like it wasn't an easy road, and I just in that moment felt kind of overwhelmed with pride and love for both of them that they're sitting there and they're in such good places in their life and they're really like kind and responsible people, and it just that they were talking to each other about it. I just it was almost too much in the moment for me to process. I just had to kind of be like, oh, this is lovely. And then later I was like, oh, I was such a huge I had to go and do another talk show afterwards. And I just didn't want to leave her, Like she came into our dressing room and kicked your shoes off when we were all sitting on the sofa just kind of like huddled, and I just was like, I don't want to leave this little cocoon. She's so special.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, she ain't coming into any rooms and you're not noticing that's because she immediately climbs up next to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just.
Speaker 2: Like chin on hand, Yeah, yeah, eyeball to eyeball. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's everyone. It's like it's like people that you can tell she's known for years, and also people that you know she's just met, like Chloe from Choe and Hallie was on her show, and I swear to god, I just saw a screenshot of the video and it's literally Drew like sitting on the chair with that was like, I love it, and everyone's just on board.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet. It's the boy.
Speaker 1: That was a really beautiful moment and you and you two, I don't know it was He's dropping off the kids at school right now. It's like, this is aspirational. It's what Matt was saying. It's like, you know, I are so jaded right now and we're just like what do we what are we doing?
Speaker 3: But it's nice to see.
Speaker 1: It's nice to see like a perfect example of this out in the world.
Speaker 3: I mean, there have been times in my life where I've tried, I've had to give myself a break and say no, no new news. Yeah very well, but you know it's difficult if you're like single and you're it's like, well, you know, how bad could it be? But you know it's a process and you're both so young, you're so so.
Speaker 1: Much life getting up there.
Speaker 3: That's coach Ella. I went once and I just kept saying to my husband at the time, Jimmy, please remind me take a picture of what I look like right now and how miserable I am. So anytime if they I want to do this again, and you can show me the picture and say no. Yeah, yeah, I never forgot.
Speaker 2: I was yeah.
Speaker 3: I just was like, you have to tell me it was too hot.
Speaker 2: It was like, yeah, I was gonna ask was it the heat, was the respiratory situation? Was it the crowds?
Speaker 1: Like what, Yeah, it was the crowds.
Speaker 3: I don't like the crowds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I felt very old. And at the time I was like it was like the first year of Coachella, so I was really yeah yeah, but it was like when it was I think it was in May still at that point, like it was too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so hot.
Speaker 2: When you're walking up, you see like the they have all the old rosters of who used to headline the festival, and it's like it's funny because it's like the first year is literally like tool and Muse and raised against the machine, and now it's like black Pink Ariana Grande. You can tell they're they're making it much more pop, which is what's gonna get me to go because, to be honest with you, like it's whenever these like breakdowns of like who's playing the festivals come out, I'm not cool in terms of my music tastes, like I don't know like all bands, it's like I don't know who like DJ Blaze Stink is, you know what I mean, Like, I don't. I didn't know what any of this shit was. I didn't even know who the Chemical Brothers were. And here's my sister saying they're an iconic, legendary group. But that is true, that is true. But I had an amazing time at their show. Wow. They were actually the highlight of the whole thing for me, I think, but it's just fun. Yeah, it was really really amazing. I was also helped, I was, I was aided by Chemicals myself, but there I was sort of like, really the visuals were insane, like highly recommend But now I feel insane because I'm like the last person saying that, because apparently I'm the last person on earth who doesn't know who they are. But no, I think in the future my rule will be if I really love at least one of the headliners, I'll consider it, you know what I mean? Yeah, But then it's like because then it's like I'm not just gonna go to go because I agree with you. I wish I wish I had taken a picture of my miserable moments, because then I'd be like, ah, yes, the part where we have to get in and everyone was screaming at each other. That's not something you want to go back to.
Speaker 3: Sure, I think I had the opposite balance of you. I had like two minutes of joy and like fifty eight minutes of misery per hour. Yeah, it was no good, no good.
Speaker 1: Well, then what's the ideal live music scenario for Milanie Lindsky? Like what is your dream thing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, it's all old, you know, like when please years ago, when the Pixies like did the tour where they were playing all of Doolittle, that was amazing, and then they would do like very random songs for the encore. But now Kim Deal isn't in the Pixies anymore, so it's a little bit different. I don't know, I haven't seen live music for so long, right, so.
Speaker 2: Long have you been on Kelly Clarkson's show?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't wait, I.
Speaker 1: Saw you I'm Sorry'm getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to go on Kelly Clarkson, She's got new music out.
Speaker 3: I love Kelly Cladson.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: I feel like you guys would have an incredible talk.
Speaker 3: I would. I would love it sometimes if I need to have a cry, like you just have tears inside that need to come out and watch her performance of piece. But she was heavily pregnant. I think she did it on American Idol and she like can't get through it and she's breaking.
Speaker 2: Down, and I'm just like that song is kind of haunted now. And yeah, so she wrote the song about like finally filming, she had a man in her life who would like not bail and take care of ask for money, their daughter asked for money, et cetera. And then all of a sudden, now we have this reality which is very much the haunted version of that. But I am excited about a divorce album from her. I have to say me too.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Whenever anyone can sort of figure that, figure it out enough to like put it into the music. That's very exciting, especially my sort of own era that I'm experiencing right now. She announced even what the lyrics we're going to be and I was just like, thank God, at least, at least I'll have more of an outlet. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good. You need to have those songs that you could listen to and you're going through it.
Speaker 2: But I think you guys have a great chat. Just putting that out there for the publicists.
Speaker 3: Okay, wonderful, Maybe they'll do something Jonah about it. Jonah. Jonah's so sweet, He's so wonderful.
Speaker 2: We love Jonah already. Jonah from id PR shout out to him.
Speaker 3: He's the greatest.
Speaker 2: We want to ask you the question that we ask every single one of our guests, sort of the touchstone of last culture rasus. Jonah says he's on it. Jonah is Melanie Lynsky on all right, So Melanie Lynsky, what was the culture that me you say culture was for you?
Speaker 3: I have been agonizing over this question because obviously, as such a huge reader, I knew I I was going to be asked. As a child, I didn't really consume very much culture. My parents were not the kinds of appearance who would like take us to movies or anything like that. I remember we got to see et and that was kind of it. So then my brother and I were like, ET, we've seen e T. We're so excited.
Speaker 2: Scary though you think.
Speaker 3: I didn't find it very scary.
Speaker 2: That's sort of where in the woods, like where you're like, no, I like ET, and I'm like, I'm terrified of EUT. That's what makes me not able to stomach anything.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's very charming that you're so scared of. It's so sweet everything, it's so cute. But I guess I would say like when I got to an age where I was able to start like seeing stuff myself and just going to the video store and getting things out, like David Lynch. Twin Peaks a huge thing for me, and then I saw all every David Lynch movie and I was like, this is it, Like this is what I want to do. I was so I was in love with sheryln Fenn, like in love and just the show was everything. And then I got into directors. I just started getting really into directors when I was like thirteen and seeing like all of Mike Lee and Jane Campion, I was super into. So it was kind of that. And then also I got very into music because my best friend Clear Buchanan made me a mixtape from records that her brothers had brought home from university, and it was like The Smiths and The Cure and like a lot of like britpop bands, and then I got very into music and yeah, so I guess it was that that time in my life was very formative.
Speaker 1: That all makes sense. And I feel like you're you're such a director driven actor too.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did love a director. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, is there any director that like you were like coming up really loving that then you actualized actually working with like and if you can yeah, I can imagine. Could you name a couple.
Speaker 3: Steven Soderboog, Yeah, that was like major my life dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw Six Lives and videotape and I was like, oh my god, this is the best movie ever made. When I was a teenager, I just was like, this is incredible and I love Sorry, I have like weird allergies and I feel like my voice sounds so weird now I'm right.
Speaker 1: There with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also it's allergy season. So that's the thing about eyes shut is if you have them, probably everyone has them.
Speaker 1: And that's every real culture.
Speaker 2: That's real culture. Number thirty allergies.
Speaker 1: If you have these, if you have everyone everyone else has them.
Speaker 3: I love that it's allergy season and Gala season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, bad timing, not good allergies, Dallas festivals, all all all concurring. It's really all ocurring.
Speaker 2: People are supposed to appear with this, with these ninuses, I don't think so. M The thing about Steven Soderberg too, which I love, is it's like he's got like such a strong visual style and like he is, but the stories that he tells are all really different, like he works in very different worlds, like when you consider like Aaron Brockovic and also traffic and also like Magic Mic.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's very yes.
Speaker 2: Very much so, and it's it's like some of those movies are protagonist driven, some are very much ensemble driven, but it all feels like there's a control over the material and always also very rewatchable so much, you know, the very specific world's very grounded, but also managing like definitely very specific, like iconography as well, like for Julia Roberts to feel like a real person in Aaron Brockovic, which obviously was a quarter requirement because she was still to be larger than life, but existing in the world like it's he's just he's one of the greats. I say, obviously, the answer is duh.
Speaker 3: He is one of the greats. And the experience of working with him was it lived up to my expectations, which were insane. My expectations were crazy.
Speaker 2: Right, and in the way of like you think he's going to have like really interesting things to say to you as an actor, he's going to be in control. Like when you say you have high expectations, what do you mean.
Speaker 3: I just was like, this is something that I've wanted since I knew I wanted to be an actor, to work with this person, and I don't know what this experience has to be for me to not be disappointed on some level, Like it's it's every it's my life dream and it's about to happen, right, And then he surpassed it. I mean, he just was like so collaborative. You go into the room to start blocking something and he'd be like, it doesn't have to be this room, Like does this feel right? You know? It was so like open to moving things around and improv and just like not a lot of compliments. I hate compliments.
Speaker 2: You hate compliments really complements.
Speaker 3: I hate compliments.
Speaker 1: It feels like we're so sorry for complimenting you. It's okay.
Speaker 3: I sat through it and it was very very sweet.
Speaker 1: But that work.
Speaker 3: Like when I'm working with some you know, the thing where directors come up and they're like, oh my god, beautiful when you did that, say oh, I don't. I hate it. I just want to feel like a grip, like if I do something wrong, like if the camera move isn't right, like then you'll tell like the grip like hey, just that one little moment, you got to smooth that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to feel and the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the crew I hear you.
Speaker 2: I hear you. So it's like it's this thing of you don't want to feel like the part of the production that needs that, because it's it's like, yeah, but there is this idea though, like that when you're an actor. I guess many directors and many other people on set think, oh, this person probably needs that because they are being vulnerable slash emotional or on the negative side of that, like they might have an ego we have to cater too. Yeah, got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the worst feeling to feel handled that is my worst feeling like in any sort of professional setting.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't stand.
Speaker 1: It completely completely.
Speaker 3: Somebody like trying to like bring you things all the time, walking into the bathroom, like things that you're doing everyday life without dying. You know you should be able to do.
Speaker 1: That also exactly. Someone someone work called me, like a pa at work called me, you're so amazing, Like do you want anything? I was like, no, like I don't know a banana if we have one, a crafty and she was like, you're so maintenance. I was like, no, I'm no, I'm not. I promise you I'm not. I'm just I'm okay.
Speaker 2: He's not, he's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, there you go. No, I'm not, I'm not not at all.
Speaker 2: But then you are like you are, like, who else are you dealing with? That's like, yes, I need this, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But there are some but there are some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. It's true for Steven Sodaberg to be like, it doesn't have to be this room that I've never gotten that before. I'm like, oh, you be anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like where what feels right, what feels good? Wow, it's so fun, it's just fun.
Speaker 2: Oh go bo.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was gonna quickly ask what what was Jamie Babbitt like on but I'm are I know it was like years and years ago, but Jimmy Babbitt, But I'm a cheerleader. No, but because because she was, it was well she but she's she directed to some episodes the first season of North from Queens and I was just like, oh my god, that's that's Jamie and but like, but I'm a cheerleader, like and I didn't. I hadn't rewatched it until the Pandemic until Lockdown, and I was like, this is such an important movie, Like look at everybody on this cast. It's you, It's like Natasha, It's it's clear, it's ru Paul, It's like all these amazing people. I'm like, what was what was that set?
Speaker 2: Like? I wonder it.
Speaker 3: Was absolutely crazy. We were all like twenty one years old and crazy people. Was like we wrap at five am and then go like stat a partty like have a party until Jimmy like it was we were absolutely it was really fun. But Jamie was so wonderful even then, like she was super young too, and she was like very in control of everything. And I've worked with her since she directed a couple of episodes of the show Girl Boss that I did, and one day we wrapped before lunch, like she's so on top of it.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, oh lunch.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: She's amazing just making decisions and yeah it was lunchtime and they were like, that's a wrap and that's never happened before. She's so like capable and decisive and she keeps things moving but everyone's having a good time. So the energy is high, you know. The energy, but I'm a cheerleader is like crazy because of who like what she brings to it. I love her, love her.
Speaker 2: Because you mentioned Jane Campion, did you get to meet because we were actually at the Critics Choice Awards. So Bowe and I were at the Critics Choice Awards the night that you won for Yellow Jackets, and we're very excited and we were sitting there and we sort of got and I'm just going to say wasted by the end of that night, appeared like everyone else in that room did too. But I do sort of remember Jane Campion winning the awards, and I wonder because you mentioned her, did you get to meet Jane Campion that night?
Speaker 3: I did? That was the night that I made.
Speaker 2: That was the night that you met her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the connection was made.
Speaker 1: Hellar.
Speaker 3: She was so sweet, she was so wonderful, very nice to me. It was a big moment for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well to be honest, and we talked about on the pod the next the next episode from from that, from that Awards night, it was like Matt basically had to like re educate me because I was like, oh my god, like Melanie Link and like I hadn't started watching Yellow Jackets at that point, and I was like that was such a special moment. And then Matt was like, no, you've seen like she is. This is Melanie Lynsky, the character actress like of our time, and like just was walking me through it, and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's right, No you are. I mean, like that's this is the thing is. It's like it's if you're someone who watches movies and like it consumes like film and television, and you're like our age, you know what I mean, Like you are a part of so many things and that has to be I wonder if you ever like look at your resume and you're just like do you have vivid memories of everything or like, are you someone that like, do you journal, do you keep things like? Because you have such a vast body of work and it's all so diverse and so different, and so you probably have people coming up to you all the time and saying a different thing. I would imagine now as of late, it's a lot of yellow jackets because it's this moment, it's this like cultural phenomenon. But I wonder about when you look back, like if you have like not total recall, but good recall about the types of things you've done, because it is it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. I mean it is kind of crazy to have been doing something for thirty years, yeah, and just look back and go, oh my god, it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I read an interview a while ago where somebody was kind of like blah blah blah her career up until this point and now she's doing all these great things, and I was like, hang on a minute. Yeah, I was so proud to be a working actor. I was so proud to make a living as an actor and just to be doing things and things that have like resonated sometimes not always, but you know, I feel I feel really proud of like my career before this point, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean and thin, and even in trying to be a working actor now and trying to do it now, like it's you know, there's this dream of like wanting to like build out, and I really feel like that's how you get good, you know what I mean is by doing a lot of different types of things and having a lot of different types of experiences. And I guess the idea is that work begets more work if you show up and you feel like you were on time and did the job. And that probably is what leads you to this idea of like I'm just here a part of the community of the set, like not needing compliments, not being that actor because you have from the very beginning been like functional in these films and so you get to show up and that probably over time makes you ready to be number one on a call sheet on a huge show like this, And I wonder, like, is the experience really that different now from then, Like now that you are number one in a call sheet and you are like the quote unquote star of this ensemble, even though like it is very much an ensemble very much. Yeah, yeah, but like you do occupy like that role, and so I wonder, like, is that a little bit odd for you as someone that's always been a character actor or are you just not see it like that.
Speaker 3: I don't really see it like that, because the experience of going to work is the same, right, and you know, it's just going to work and doing the work in the same way. I don't know. I think maybe because I've been like twenty five on a call sheet and number sixteen on a call sheet thousands of times, I don't really pay that much attention to that. I don't have like an.
Speaker 2: Ego, not even an ego thing. I just know, like as a choice of responsibility thing, sometimes there is this idea of like leadership, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I guess that's what I do feel a responsibility, especially because there's like younger actors on our show totally who I want to know are having a good experience, and I feel a responsibility like for the crew and stuff like that to make sure everybody's days are going smoothly and everybody's happy and wants to come back next season and stuff like that. Obviously it's not all up to me, but yeah, I do feel more because I also noticed in the past, when I was a supporting actor, working with the people who would make sure everybody was comfortable, everybody was happy. It was always a big deal to me.
Speaker 1: But you can tell. I mean, even when you won that night at the Critics' Choice, it was like it was that whole like your whole section is erupted for you and especially the youngers.
Speaker 3: I know it makes me cry to even think about.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, but that's a real thing, though.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that you know it's you, Tawny, Juliet and Christina. The four of you have all worked for a very long time, some incredibly famously, So I mean, like not just you, but Christina Ricci and Juliet Lewis. Like I don't know Tawny from like I don't know if she was working as a child or anything, but like Christina and Juliette were massive, massive icons. Like yeah, and so I was watching something with the four of you, it kind of came up like that. Watching a younger generation of actresses or of younger actors is sort of wild now in twenty twenty three, as opposed to when y'all were doing it in the nineties, because and you and I saw something kind of flickered across Christina's eyes in particular, like maybe she had like been through it, and I was like, and of course, you know Juliette, we know she's lived quite alife, and so it's like the types of treatment must be so much better now, and so that must be like something that's top of mind. When you say, like you want to make sure the younger actors are having a good time and like that their experience is good. It probably is because as actresses it had to be like kind of the school of hard knocks there for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I mean it was like so rough sometimes, yeah, and also like for me to find my voice on set and feel like it was okay for me to have an opinion or kind of push back a little bit if someone gave me a note I didn't like. My instincts are always very strong, so if somebody tries to direct me away from them, I don't have any training. I don't know how to do that, so I will kind of fight to stay on the path that my instincts are telling me to stay on in the performance. But it was tough, you know, And then like weird harassment and you know, like it was just not a fun time. Sometimes sometimes it was wonderful, but sometimes it wasn't. And so I, you know, I was hopeful that the set of Yellow Jackets would not be like that. But just in case, I said to them, like, please come to me, come to me for anything. I'll go to the producers for you. I'll go to the producers with you whatever you need. And they've all kind of been like thanks, like fine, they're fine. It's such a different generation, like they're handling it themselves. There's no thing of them being like, oh is it okay for me to say this. They're all like I don't like this. I don't like that. Here's what I need And it's amazing. It's so exciting. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Still so meaningful for you to, like, I don't know, like lay that groundwork down or just set that tone in case there is someone who is like I don't really know how to address the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just in case. It's always scary to know, like who can you go to? What's okay if something is wrong? So yeah, none of them have needed me, but I'm still here if they do.
Speaker 2: They're all really cool, like whenever we're around them because I feel like we pop up around them a lot, like you know, a lot. Yeah, we see the two of them a lot, just for whatever reason that events and stuff. We actually like raged with them that night at the Critics Choice Awards, and I'm telling you we were we were we were dancing in this area where also Jane Campion was dancing and she was tearing she was getting down, and I remember we were just like, wow, like that's where I live. Was like, that's really Jane Campion tearing it up. I was like, I mean, she's in a huge moment. But yeah, we always see them, and they they do like have like all of them have this like just cool factor. And I'm like, you guys are the stars of Yellow Jackets, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Col They are all so cool, like so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really do feel like the mom I feel like, I'm like, is everything okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you enjoy like gnarly shows like this, because you're appearing in several of them currently at the moment, I mean, you got like fucked up in the Last of Us Alert and then Yellow Jackets is such a gnarly show. Do you like, are you someone that consumes stuff? Like that, and are you able to sign up for products like that and be like, oh, yeah, today we're killing somebody.
Speaker 3: I guess so. I mean, I watch all kinds of stuff, don't I don't get scared easily. I don't have any adrenal function, so I don't get I don't like I literally I like, yeah, I should be on atention or to stopterone or something like that. Jason tries to scare me all the time, and he can't hid. I just go, oh, it's really weird. Like he'll hide in a dark corner and then come like bursting out.
Speaker 2: Oh. He is one of those, isn't he.
Speaker 3: He is a jugster. He's a frustrated prankster. I can't speak prank so I don't have a reaction if so, I don't know. I don't have a thing where I'm like scared about particular things. On Candy, it was like really sad just knowing that somebody had actually gone through that, yeah, and just thinking about just emotion a little baby being in the house while it happened, and just one awful thing for her family, and just you know, I felt like a responsibility on that one to try to get it as right as I could with the amount of information I had, But the scary stuff is just kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I always feel like I could act in one but couldn't watch one. I always feel like like I could probably do that because like you see that, you see like the nuts and bolts of it all, but like watching it, I literally I physically have pain because like.
Speaker 3: On the Last of Us there's this guy, like there's this big, huge floature creature who comes out and he's so huge and scary, and then i'd see him in between takes with his Fiji water like someone's beating him as little, you know, because it's so hot in there, and he was like almost passing out.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, and.
Speaker 3: So he had to like have his little SIPs of water and it was really sweet and endearing. And then you can't be scared after you see that.
Speaker 1: No, No, especially if if Jason's one of the mushroom. If Jason's a clicker, then you're like, oh, that's that's my guy.
Speaker 2: He's basically a clicker. My husband's basically a clicker. It's actually a really colchre number one hundred. My husband's basically.
Speaker 1: My husband's basically a clicker. I want to talk video games next time I see you, guys, if I would love to talk video games with Jason because I know he plays.
Speaker 3: He's a little Sam all right, I'll switch off and look up into the ceiling. No, no, no, That's what I do when he talks about video games. I'm like, yeah, he is a he loves video games.
Speaker 2: Did he plays?
Speaker 3: Yes, he did. It's his favorite video game ever.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: He was like, you have to do it. When they asked me to do it, he was like, you have to no questions asked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen. It makes sense because Matt, I remember the first time I heard of The Last of Us, which was you and I were coming back from a story Pirates show and Eric Gerson was in the car. There was there's this trade show called E three every summer and it's like twenty twelve, twenty thirteen or something and Eric are from Airic. Person turns to me, he goes, they just announced this game at E three. It's being called the Citizen Kane of video games in terms of like the narrative, and they're like, it's called The Last of Us. They did motion capture on it. It's gonna be amazing and it was like really, and then I didn't play it until much later. But like the journey for the Last, like the Last of Us has been like on people's minds for like over a decade at this point, and like, I'm sure you know all this at this point, but like I probably think that it was probably you weren't hampered by like all of the fan the fan wait, the fan fare around it, Like you were just able to go into this role, this new role for the show and be like let me just you know, let me just like start from scratch and I don't have to like be beholden too like a prior performance necessarily. Maybe Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was very grateful for that. I was like, thank god, it's a new character. And also Craig wrote it for me, the creator of the show. He said I've written this path for you, which was so lovely. So then I also felt like he knew what he was going to get. You know, sometimes it's scary to the audition for things, but also I hate auditioning, so it's worse to have to audition. Yeah, it's not the best. I'm very bad at it.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that you feel not auditioning I'm really bad. What do you think is it do you do you struggle like with the lines in the audition or do you feel like, like what is it with with auditioning?
Speaker 3: For you, it's just the pressure put on the one performance, Like you can't be close with it. You can't see what happens, Like you have to make a decision and commit to something and give like a thing and guess what they want. And it's like you can't just like do your first take and have it be the thing that comes out right and be like okay, well, like work with that a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I would imagine that you probably only have to audition for like the big stuff, right, Like there's probably a lot. You probably do get a ton of offers, Like when's last time you did like a self tape? You don't do self tapes.
Speaker 3: I mean it's been a few years. Thankful. Those are misery.
Speaker 2: They're they're really terrible, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's rough.
Speaker 2: And the experience of just putting yourself on tape not knowing what they're gonna want, without the ability to get notes and anything. It's just a completely different thing. It's weird that our industry has like been okay obviously that we've had because of the pandemic, But like I can't even stress enough how like much more fun it is and how much more complete and you know secure you can feel when you at least like have the opportunity to connect with like someone involved in the movie or cast indrector and take a note and actually I feel like you acted that day and didn't just like guess at how you wanted to appear on your little phone.
Speaker 3: The guessing is so hard. And then also when you walk into an audition, it's over, like, yeah, you don't have anything to do. You don't have to then you know, try to figure out how to load it and send it and choose, go through all your takes and choose the take. Yeah, I will say my ex husband was it is very very good at doing self tapes, Like, yeah, he would he's a wonderful actor. He would never have read the script. He would be like brutial with the notes. It really tough, like so intense. We would always get in a fight, but he was always right, like he just had an instinct about it. And then we would I got so many jobs from self tapes that Jimmy made. Wow, yeah, I got the informant I got when when I got like all these great movies from and when we broke out, my agent was like, do you think he could think? I don't know. A couple of times I did ask him, I said, would you mind him coming to do the self tape? He was very gracious about it. But he's very like I don't know, he was, he's kind of a master. He does it for everybody as well, like a lot of our friends oople have him. Yeah, he like gets people jobs from his self tapes.
Speaker 1: Skill the informant because then Matt wouldn't be able to tell you that that advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always the finding the person that you're like that you feel comfortable enough to ask to like put you on a self tape.
Speaker 1: It's so it might as well be a marriage proposal. Yeah, yeah, it's it's so much. It's huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also doing it and a couple is frustrating too, because like I remember when my ex Jared and would would put me on tape, especially during during the pandemic or like right before. Like it's like that thing of when you you go back and watch the clips of what you've done on your phone. You literally see the worst version of yourself because there you are, like stressed out about to do a self tape, and he would just say something like, okay, so what do you think about and I would just be like, no, we have to just do it. We have to just do it. And just like you're here, you're watching yourself be horrible to deal with. And then you're like, oh no, now I have just like all this archived footage of me like at my worst, like stressed, trying to act nasty to my boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Oh it's awful, It's terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, rible, terrible. So what are you watching now? What's what's inspiring you nowadays?
Speaker 3: I'm watching poker Face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a good watcher. You're always you're always posting about what you're what you're watching.
Speaker 3: I try to be supportive. It's so good. Natasha's so funny. She's so funny.
Speaker 2: Sheecock is nailing it. Lately. I just watched see the first two episodes of Missus Davis with our favorite in the world, Betty Gilpin.
Speaker 3: I worship her, absolutely worship her.
Speaker 2: Isn't she amazing?
Speaker 3: She is amazing.
Speaker 2: You're gonna love this show. It's it's like a whack of show. It's it's Damon Lindelof. But yes, I think it's the funniest he's ever been. Like it's really sort of like a surreal like comedy in a way. It's it's it's I can't even really explain what it's about. I would just like emphasize that everyone should really give this one a shot. I think this going to be four episodes out like on four twenty, which is a great day to start watching this show. And it's it's really big for the stoner community. But Betty is one of those actors that just like everything she does feels brand new. It's it's sort of sort of maybe it's even similar to what you're saying of like you know, instinctually, like it feels like you can't fuck with whatever she's doing because it's as it always feels very natural to her and very singular to her, and you know, it's it's giving character actor as lead actress in that way that you love to see, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it and it is like that because I worked with mac Marin and I was like, can you tell me everything about what she was Bitty Gilben, because I worship her. I want to know, and he told me like, oh my god, it's incredible. You never know what she's going to do. Like the instincts are on fire, and she's just like this thing that's like the connection. Like he just was like, it's one of the greatest things you could ever experience.
Speaker 1: Have you read her book?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: It's so I mean, I just like, she's absolutely incredible. I just love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you get along grade.
Speaker 2: Do you guys know each other.
Speaker 3: I've met her a couple of times. I actually years ago, I saw her in like an off, off off Broadway play. I found out it was a very early thing that she did, and I just it was as though there was like a huge spotlight on her and everyone else on stage just kind of like blurred away. Sorry to all those people. I'm sure they're great, but I just was like, who is that? Like she is magnificent. And I've kind of followed her career since then. I'll be like, oh my god, it's the girl from the play. It's the girl from the play. And then I did get to meet her a few years ago, and I just was like, I'm weirdly obsessed with you.
Speaker 2: We need that project, we need we need you guys to get really Oh my god, now I'm dropping everything to write the vehicle.
Speaker 1: I know, I know we'll get to typing.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh my god, wait me And that's me and Bowen's first feature that we were at col writes together. But it's not even for us. Well, we can play tiny part. We'll poke our head out of a window and go like, oh no, perfect, that'll be our That'll be our contribution. Okay, Bowen, Yane, what do you think should we move to I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think this is a great time to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay. So Melanie Lensky is joining us today on this episode of Last Cool Treestus, and it has come to the point in the episode where we do I don't think so, honey, which is our sifty second segment where you know, we really take the time to bring something down that sits up on a high perch and we pull it, pull it, pull it down. And I don't think so, honey. I do have a topic. I did mention it at the beginning, but I feel like I have to keep going on it because it really was.
Speaker 1: Wild Okay, all right, this is interesting. This is Matt Rogers' I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey. Frank Ocean and Coachella. Here's the thing. It's just that if you're allowed to be eccentric, okay, you're allowed to be hashtag going through it. But the fact is there was thousands and thousands of fans that came there to see you, and yes, I'm not even like maybe they had a good experience with it. I'm talking to some people that are like, no, it was actually beautiful. It is actually what I wanted from Frank. Dad gave us what we wanted. But a lot of people were kind of just like, here's the thing. If you wanted to see Frank and you wanted a good spot, you actually kind of had to post up very early and sit all the way through. Buyork now, Byork is someone that we love and are obsessed with, but Buorck was sort of doing the more experimental moment with orchestra, and I'm guessing that the Frank people may Buyork people. So that's kind of the way that Coachella is said up. And I don't think so, honey. That like, it's that difficult to get a spot. But look, when you're as popular as Frank Oshan, it's gonna be that difficult to get And when you're as popular as Frank Oshan, as Frank Ocean, you have to know that we have to honor the people in the crowd. I don't think so, honey. Also, the ice skating rink.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. I didn't know about this ice skating rink until that's. Wow.
Speaker 2: He had an ice skating rink built and they were had to melt it down before he went on stage. Well, there were professional ice skaters that had, I guess, practiced for weeks and weeks to be a part of this performance, and then they came out with this excuse afterwards. Well they were like, well, Frank hurt his ankle and so couldn't do the the ice skating of it all. And I'm like, he didn't look like he hurt his ankle. I mean, he walked out on stage, he did the thing. I mean, look, I can't speculate on what actually happened, but I can say that the festival ended on a very dour, sour vibe because of all of it. It was just it was frustrating. And also I'll say this, and this will be the last thing I say about Coachella. So Blink Wind was added to the set list very late, and I think that, on face value, adding Blank twent eighty two into the mix is gonna feel very exciting. And then you sort of get there and you see Blank Twentity two performing, and you see the crowd at Blank twent eity two, and I can only describe it as kind of scary and haunted because it's a lot of straight guy's screaming. And I'll say this about the spoken word interludes in between the Blank Twentity two songs. It was a lot of yeah, if we did this now, we get canceled for this one, or like like still kind of like humor about like eating each other's moms out, you know what I mean, Like that kind of like boy humor from the nineties, And you watch it as a sort of queer adult and you're saying, hmm, if you're someone who like relentlessly needs to be like, yeah, we can't do this anymore. I remember the old days. It's like what you're explicitly kind of saying is that you're not cool. With the way things are now, or that you like really wish for a time where things were quote unquote different or quote unquote cooler. And I'm like, okay, so, like the intrinsic like thing that you're saying here is that you kind of like hate that, like diversity is a thing. It just felt a little intrinsically homophobic to me. And I can't explain it because they didn't say any homophobic things, but the energy was very giving. I'm not going over.
Speaker 1: There, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, well that's too bad.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like whenever an eminem song plays and you're like, oh yeah, and then you kind of are like no.
Speaker 1: I do think Blink was able to sort of like appeal to a wider sector of people. And I do feel like, maybe.
Speaker 2: Is that because there wasn't much more than that, you know what I mean, Like the monoculture kind of got us there.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they influenced so much. I don't know, Blink is interesting and maybe maybe we'll maybe we'll dissect it dissected a little bit more like I'm not here to yuck yums.
Speaker 2: And that was another thing I really didn't think so honey about the festival was like if you didn't like Black Pink, like, stop saying it's so loudly, like so many people are here to see Black Pink. I get it, Like every song is kind of.
Speaker 1: That's not what you're doing. That's not what you're doing.
Speaker 2: No, And I'm not looking out, I'm just saying, like what it's so funny and interesting to And this is like the monoculture of it all. It's like we all remember Blank, Wendy too, we all know all the words, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I don't think I could name the two.
Speaker 2: What's what's That's okay, that's okay, What's.
Speaker 1: All the small things?
Speaker 2: You know, all those guys, Yeah, all the small things. It's like, yeah, you remember it, and you're like, oh my god, of course this it's comfort food. And then you're like, oh wow. If I give given the option nowadays, this would not be my thing.
Speaker 1: I understand. Yes, I think I think some music is like crystallized in amber. And I feel like, and look, Blank's come out with a lot of a lot of new stuff. That's great, but I feel like the connective thing for our generation to Blank is like something that was in the past. And I feel like their commentary on the past is we it was a different time back then. I think. I don't know. I wasn't there. I wasn't there for this this weekend. But that's the beauty of Coachella is that there is this nice little panoply of of of musical acts there.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing I'm not defending is that was like it was all ages. It was all different types of people, all different genres of music. And that I think is a good and positive thing. Is it's like you could like float over here and see Christina and the Queens, and you could float over here and see you know this and that and whatever. It's just like there was a lot of different communities there that added up to one big community. It was just the Blink twent eighty two was giving a little Halloween horror nights for me. It was giving a little you know, jump Scare, straight man, jump scared, No problem, right, win scare Melanie though no, because her adrenale levels are low.
Speaker 3: No, I have no adrenal function, so I wouldn't be like, ah, I would feel like it's creeping drate inside my.
Speaker 2: Body and then you would use it in your next project.
Speaker 3: It does sound scared.
Speaker 2: It was scary and also like we were. The second we walked into Coachella, this straight guy kind of ambled over a Dustin was like, you guys decided for Blank with any down and I was just like, oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no. I was like, oh, this is I'm trying to get to Muna. I was like, I was like, I'm trying to get some Muna girl and You're like yeah. And he started singing the song and I was like, oh, maybe that's actually much better in theory than practice. The Blank twenty two show, and then I watched like a live stream later or like the video from the live stream, and like just people moshing in the crowd.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be around any mashing.
Speaker 2: I don't think so honey, mosh right right, very very very Witstock ninety nine, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so happy to live in the now. Uh bon Yang.
Speaker 2: Are you excited about your atom? Think so honey?
Speaker 1: In Gallanies, Yes, And I'm gonna actually do a last minute pivot because I was gonna do it. I don't think so honey about how I wore a white button down shirt this week and someone called it stealth wealth and I was like, no, this this was from Uni clone. It was thirty dollars whatever. People stealth wealth is like has just been kind of introduced into the cultural conversation and people are people are sort of misusing it.
Speaker 2: Can you define stealth wealth.
Speaker 1: It's like logoless luxury clothing, which has you know, kind of been popularized by succession. Let's say like these rich people wear clothing that like the Row. It's the Row, it's Max Maara, and it's like, you know, people said Gwyneth was wearing stealth wealth clothes at the during an in court. So anyway, I wore white buttoned down shirt and some of someone's like, that's the little stealth wealthy. I'm like, no, this is this is.
Speaker 2: Feels like someone someone learned to term and wanted to use it. That's what it feels like to me.
Speaker 1: But I have to I have something very relevant actually, and and I didn't and I totally forgot about this, but I would love to talk about it relevant.
Speaker 2: King Bow and Yang with his I don't think so, honey, on this week's episode, His time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey, Oh the wicked stills that are being shared are too dark in moody everybody. I promise you there will be light. The gaffers on this film are top notch. You will be able to see things when this movie comes out. Just you wait another eighteen months or so Thanksgiving twenty twenty four. You've got a long way to go. We don't. It's gonna be a marathon, not a sprint. So just like you know, look at the picture, go that's nice, and move along. You don't have to pick it apart and say thirty seconds, oh god, this movie, this movie looks this, that or the other. And guess what. We're shooting the exteriors, So there are gonna be all these drones. First of all, I don't think somebody drones on film sets. Get those drones away from these exteriors. We don't get these drones taking photos of There's nothing anyone can do about these drones being flown into these exteriors, and it's kind of stressful and it feels just so invasive. I don't get those drones out of there. Stop taking the pictures of the Glinda dress and Munchkin Land. We don't need to show that just yet.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute. So you're confirming that was a real picture.
Speaker 1: I am just confirming that there are drones that are taking photos of the set. Don't get me in trouble, Matt. That is not well.
Speaker 2: I can't possibly get you in trouble for some of the.
Speaker 1: Say it you're you're saying, you're saying that there's a possibility it could be AI generated.
Speaker 2: No get out, I think that. Well, I'll say this, I've seen a lot of good deep fakes.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what's going on. You can clearly see that that's Ariana Grande in a pink dress. No problem, would be another blond woman. No, no, no, no, we're not going to tell you that photo.
Speaker 2: You're confirming.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is if a drone takes a photo of me this summer, I'm I'm bringing a gun to set and shooting it down. Okay, trust trust.
Speaker 2: Well that's another thing I'll let you just say on the podcast so you can be responsible. I'm saying we'll bring gun to set. Well, I will say that I'm of mixed minds about this because one, I don't think we need the pictures this early. I just think, like, let's let's like, I just think we should wait, like like we don't. It's the movie's not coming out for eighteen months, like we can wait.
Speaker 1: Well, same goes for these Gaga photos and Joker Fu lead did. It's like, this movie's not coming out for another sixteen months, and we're all like, you know, so so grateful, mother, mother, mother, but like you now, just this is just mother, we say anyway.
Speaker 2: But I was excited about it. I was excited about the photos. I thought that they looked very wickedish. I thought, when I think, we get it in my head, I think exactly those pictures. I think, I think I saw Elpha but and Glinda in the photos, and I get it. I think people are just on edge after the Game of Thrones of it all and the sort of we're in sort of dark you know, cinematography times as of vight. You never know, even the highest budget things sometimes end up being dark. So people are just concerned things will.
Speaker 1: Be well lit. That's all I'm gonna say. That is my big spoiler from set.
Speaker 2: That is directly from the set. Everyone stop panicking, stop worrying. Bow and Yang, who who iconically plays Fanny in the film He is can we say.
Speaker 1: That, we can say that, and we can say that the name is is so silly really plays in the UK, people go, oh my god, Fanny, that's that's your name. Oh you know, They're like, it means pussy in British slang. Does it actually?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, that's what we called Vagina's growing up. You're Fanny. Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 2: Funny because in American culture, Fanny is booty.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 3: When I heard about a fanny pack, I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: What is that? I'm so confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but someone explained it to me.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, well hopefully explaining something about why she doesn't like something in culture. Now is Melanie Lynsky? Are you ready to do? I don't think so, Honey. This is a moment in time for anyone that comes on the pod.
Speaker 3: No, I know, and I'm not ready. I'm so nervous. I don't recognize it. I think I have something, Okay, the fist. The first thing that popped into my mind was like the general disrespect that people have for renee Zo Wakers two Oscar Wins.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, well I was.
Speaker 3: Going to but then I was like, I don't know if I could talk about this for a minute, and like, is that how? I just feel like people don't respect her enough. But but then I.
Speaker 1: Pivoted a minute. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: First of all, let me just say right here on this podcast, we have always respected Renees Elgger always and Bowen. I know, I had an HBO Max podcast where we talked about movies and Bowen Yang came on a rene Es Elwigger themed episode, and we respect both those Oscar wins, even though I firmly believe the first one should have been for Chicago, and I think I do too. That's you know, that gets me in trouble with the Nicole Gays. But I believe the cole should have won the year before from one rush and so that's the great and I believe we're all kind of a kurf fluffel there, but you know, we respect Renees as having two wins, no matter what they're for.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think both those performances are iconic. But then I thought about something else that impacts my daily life that I would talk about. Okay, for a minute, It's maybe not as fun, it's more of a PSA.
Speaker 2: No we need the PSA. Melanie lives. I don't think so, honey. Her time starts now.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think so honey. Gum chewing. I'm sorry, I have.
Speaker 1: A condition.
Speaker 3: I cannot stand it. Like people come up to me smacking their gum and trying to have a conversation. I cannot hear a word you're saying. I'm floating up to the ceiling. It creates in the brain of somebody who has misophonia. It goes directly to your fight or flight response, so you want to run away or punch somebody. And I can't punch anybody. So I'm just sitting there waiting for my moment to leave, and in a full panic like it puts me. I saw somebody the other day in event. It was really wonderful see him. I hadn't seen him for a long time. A woman came up and stood next to him smacking away at gum, and I was like, now, I don't know, I don't know what he talked to me about. I don't know she talked to me about. And I should have like a little thing where I'm just like, I'm so sorry I have a condition. But then people also don't really take the condition seriously, and they kind of rolled their eyes and they're like, oh, you're sensitive, you're sensitive, but it's like an actual real thing. And I wish we could band gum.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't think so, honey, gum chewing And that's one minute. Wow, this is now that you've put a face to this affliction. You've put a face into two things today, low adrenal function and misophony. And misophonia and those two things combined must be really hard because you've expressed wanting to punch someone chewing around you, but like you can't work up the adrenaline to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't have the energy to punch anymore, or the or the anes.
Speaker 1: The stimulus doesn't the stimulus can't land anywhere. It goes into the door.
Speaker 3: I just leave, like I just go, like I just have to kind of like take myself elsewhere. But people do it like it's like a personality trait, like we do it with so much like vigor. Yeah, and it's like it makes me it's so crazy.
Speaker 2: And you don't chew.
Speaker 3: Gum no, or if I do, I do it with my mouth closed like a.
Speaker 1: Sure sure, like a human being Melanie and I got a lot of flak one time for an episode. Don't listen to this. It's the second episode of the three Hundred Great Songs, the Great Global Songbook. We had lunch delivered. It was a six hour long recording session. We had lunch delivered in the middle of it, and we unfortunately we ate during the recording and he is chewing and people with mstphonia, who the readers, the katies with mistophonia really really where ups that? And we're we apologize to everyone for for that, for that moment, we really really feel this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't actually was about to listen to those episodes.
Speaker 1: No, no, listen to the first in the last one, but but not the second one.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or you know what, give it a shot and maybe you'll come around. Maybe maybe you'll be like, you know what, with these guys, I actually can listen to them too.
Speaker 3: I I can't listen to anybody. There was a time I was with my sister and my husband and he ran into like a group of old friends, and my sister and I both just stood completely still the whole time, and then when the friends had left, we like collapsed we were like in such a panic. We were like giggling and screaming. And my husband was like, what happened? And we were like the gum, the gum, and she said who had gum? My sister was like, I don't even notice that who had gum? Like imagine thinking who had gum?
Speaker 2: So this is a family it's a family disorder of the misophonia.
Speaker 3: Genetic genetic thing I've heard. Yeah, my dad has it in my siblings.
Speaker 2: We now know, we now know, and we will do better in the het ture. I mean sometimes the thing is we do get so hungry that we must eat, but not on mic not anymore. And our mark he's out there with miscephonia. We see you, we hear you, we respect you, we love you, and we will do better.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so lovely.
Speaker 1: You have a leader in Melanie Lynsk. You know, thank you.
Speaker 2: Number one on the misceiphonia call sheet. I'll take it that a leader in this industry. Okay, So Yellow Jackets? Is it out on? Is it out on? Showtime? On Fridays and air Sundays? I love the when they do this iconic things show Time. Love of streaming and linear.
Speaker 3: You love it. It's confusing for me. I don't know when to tell people. It's just like it's out on the weekend.
Speaker 2: It's out on the weekend. You can watch it anytime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it'll definitely be out by Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but I think you're streaming on Friday and then airing on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, perfect, Well we are I mean, bowen, let me come on. How do we even express what huge fans we are. We just believe you're one of the greatest out there, and we know you absolutely hate compliments, but we're not actually working with you right now, or actually we're actually a business professional. You're just the greatest and we're so we were so excited when you wanted to come on, and this is just the coolest.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for indulging my dream of being on Less Culturistas. I love you both so much. You're both so so, so talented in so many different ways. I just like this podcast has brought me so much joy. Both of your acting has brought me so much joy. You as human beings bring me joy like this is really like a wonderful, wonderful experience. Thank you for putting up with my technical issues and my weird sinuses and my low adrenal function which is always Melanie.
Speaker 1: This was You are like our Steven Soderberg. We had the highest expectations and you you surpassed all of them. Thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 3: On, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, a moment in time, and Bow and Yang. We end every episode with the song oh.
Speaker 1: The all Things True care Trueing iye one last, You're right, that's tripe.
Speaker 2: And if you feel like being triggered or not, listen to blank one A two on all streaming platforms.
Speaker 1: Bye Bye,