Speaker 1: And That's what You Really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what You Really miss podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello Dun Dun Dune and we've made it.
Speaker 1: Jenna, Oh my god, we're here.
Speaker 2: Can you believe it?
Speaker 3: I actually can't. It's flown by.
Speaker 2: I just feel like like pumping the brakes.
Speaker 1: I am excited for four them. I'm not gonna lie, but this is crazy.
Speaker 3: We're three or three? That's crazy.
Speaker 1: We are sprinting through this show. It feels like are we Yeah? It certainly feels that way.
Speaker 2: And also because the last few episodes have just been so like full of anticipation. Yes, so I've just wanted to keep going. Say, it's just been speeding up. Same, Well, we're sting. I met myself to an episode a week.
Speaker 1: But I get like I do like one and a half.
Speaker 4: I do one and then half of the second the next one, same exacts.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, here we are is the season three episode twenty two, and this is goodbye. And this is crazy because it feels like a series finale. It feels like a very real goodbye. It did feel that way as well when we shot it, did it? Oh yeah, in very particular, I'm okay. It made me feel like the end of the series, like how I felt then. That's what I kept thinking of, and that's what it felt like while we were shooting in as well. To me, We'll get there.
Speaker 2: So this is season three, episode twenty two Goodbye, the season three finale. It aired on May twenty second, twenty twelve. That's a lot of twos. The number one movie in the country was Avengers per huge. Somebody used to know it was still the number one song per huge, but Jenna, there was some great Glee news this week.
Speaker 1: There was. It was very exciting. On May fourteenth, it was announced that Kate Hudson and Sarah Jisca Parker would be joining Are You Kidding for season four, both multi episode arcs, and also they announced that our show would be moving to Thursday nights and the new season would be a show within a show since key characters were graduating. Now Kevin is the numbers guy. What did you feel or do you remember what you thought when we moved to Thursday nights?
Speaker 2: Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Moving dates is always tricky? Yeah, And I remember being like, because our numbers started to go down. So it's sort of like a how can we get this re energized? And so they moved you to a Thursday. I don't remember what we were paired with, but they usually it's like because we were following American Idol for a while and then we didn't need a lead in because we were a big show, and then we became the leading they moved us an hour earlier X Factor, Yes happened, and the X Factor didn't do well. It did not, but it was a lot of me every Thursday night because I was doing these Pepsi commercials. That's had every like ad break for X Factor, and then it was Glee, so we.
Speaker 1: Love that for you. Yeah, I love you doing Pepsi commercials. It's like Britney Spears is doing her Honestly, it was the biggest dream come true when because also like why would they pick me out of all the Glee cats? Like someone they approached me? They did?
Speaker 2: Could you could have literally I'm number eight on the call sheet. You had one through seven to go through. It was very strange and because yes, growing up like the pop stars did the Pepsi commercials huge, huge, huge. It was bad though, just a quick little story about this because it was like one of the biggest dreams come true. So I did the first commercial in New York. It was fine, great, whatever, then like we want to do more. It's like yes, And so I shot until I don't know, nine or ten at night on a Friday, got on a red eye, flew to New York. They had never they never sent me the script for the new and you know, when you do these types of things, it's a lot of jargon, like talking about contests, talking about like whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: This was like walking backstage and stuff. Right, yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: And so I was. I landed at like JFK wherever I opened my phone, I have an email of and I'm going straight from the airport to set God Kevin Jenna. It was so much dialogue and I was by that point we were like pretty quick at memorizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And because it was not a character, so there's no story to it, which helps you memorize. It's just words and nothing was staking and you know how, I am on no sleep, I am not well, and so I was. It's one of the most unprofessional experiences of my life on my part because I could not deliver. I understand that feeling. Oh my guys, I'm going to need some cheat sheets, so can we. So then we just had to print them out and like put them on this little thing in front of me, and I was just reading, Oh my god, like glazed over. Just hey, we used them to be and pepsi commercials. Truly, that's the worst though, I guess. I just I was like, you know, to do those things, you have to go through all these corporate like people to sign off on it, and there you are, finally doing it, and you can't say your words.
Speaker 1: Get it together? Well, getting them that morning also adds stress and adrenaline, and it's never a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because so like they pay you a good amount of money for those things, and totally that makes you just like, oh, that's stupid, Okay, I have to make sure I really show up and do it.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: There's one of those that happens on Glee with like some lines that I have. It's like a big monologue and I couldn't get through it and I was sweating and people had to like read it to me, which started making it even worse. We'll get there at some point, I'm sure it's coming anyway. This was directed by the one and only Brad foul Chuck and in some of these bat behind the scenes videos he looks so funny, like so young. He's got scruff and really long hair, and I was like, is that Brad? Yeah, after writing twenty two episodes, that's what you look like. Yeah, that's exactly two exceptional. This was also directed by Brad and written by Bradfeulchuk. On the page, we have the wonderful glorias to have fun and these songs are great.
Speaker 2: They're great, and they're so many good songs.
Speaker 1: It's great. There's some grains on that. Okay, so we are forever young. I'll remember, I remember. Oh you get what you give. Everyone gets an every time in my life Glory Days. We got a Bruce Springsteen one in there.
Speaker 2: Finally for Brad, he had a direct one.
Speaker 1: We're using Roots before Branches and sit Down. Rocking the Boat was also featured, which we did again did you see my Life?
Speaker 2: Sure sounded like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounded like we're saying about live.
Speaker 3: Can't find it this feeling.
Speaker 1: Arispeed Bagman was also a flashback and single Ladies.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of music. Something we've learned because I might have. You and I had a strong visceral reaction to when Jake Shane was on talking about Roots before Branches.
Speaker 1: Right, and we were like, is this a reun joy run Kevin, Yeah, where fans have really let their voices be heard on this one and Roots before Branches.
Speaker 2: Is like a beloved song by the fans.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, I understand it's a Rachel Berry song. It's beautifully sung. It's a pretty song. I think attaching yourself to the actual moment in which it was shot and how it was written also lends to the the love for it because it's Rachel's. It's Rachel's moment. She's saying goodbye. It was a wildly dramatic, beautiful scene between her and Finn, and then we get to New York and she's walking through the New York City streets looking like Mary Tyler Moore, I meets Barbara streisand so like, I get it, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: I was confused because I did not remember the specifics of it, and watching it was like.
Speaker 1: All I remember was that stupid train station that was our last day off for this episode.
Speaker 2: We were so like when we're waving by. We're all saying things to each other, like bye, are we done yet?
Speaker 1: We had a lot of waiting around that day. There's not a lot to be done. We were blocked out. I also somebody stole some costumes from the previous episode, and I was like, well, I really love this coat, so I took the coat.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: It's a blue coat. It's really cute.
Speaker 3: You still have it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't still have it. It's got stained coffee stains on it. But I did take the coat. I did it, and I think I had the approval. I didn't do what that person did. But anyway, that's all I remember from that train station and the photo we have of us holding up three the three fingers for the season three. Okay, we'll get to it for branches. But there's a lot of good stuff about this episode.
Speaker 2: Here we go. So this episode in the US aired an hour later than usual because of the American Idol finale, so strong lead in there.
Speaker 1: Gloria Stephan makes a special guest appearance as Marie Bell Lopez and Santana's mom, and she talks and talks to play her mom. As early as November of two thousand and eleven after I Kissed a Girl aired, Gloria tweeted, did anyone seekle last night? Santana could really use a sympathetic mommy right about now, don't you think? She literally put herself in and said, cast me royalty.
Speaker 2: She is royalty? I mean yes, how crazy? And she comes back later on. Obviously, Ryan noted this episode initially ran fifteen minutes too long. Because of this, there are quite a few deleted scenes that didn't make the.
Speaker 1: Cut, including one of Fouteina and Mike Tana. Mike did a scene where his dad I'd apologize this and tells him he's really proud of him and that they're in full support, and it was a really sweet scene. I totally get it. Not really needed, like fifteen minutes long, we're getting cut, We're getting got cut.
Speaker 3: But that's sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sweet. A scene between Puck and Quinn studying the library was also cut. In addition, there was also a scene where was reading a message Rachel wrote new yearbook that was cut, and then also the Mic and Tina scene where's parents give him that the graduation present.
Speaker 2: However, consolation Prize, the curtain Rachel scene, and the Mica Tina scenes were uploaded to YouTube, so.
Speaker 1: We're obviously good enough to make it to YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's right, you made it. This is the first finale not to contain new directions competing in a show choir competition. It could have ended last episode. That's the truth the season. But as a viewer, I know I keep bringing up Game of Thrones, but it was the only show that I felt like gave me two finales because something crazy penultimate episode and then so much more happened in the next episode in a different way. And that's how this felt to me, the.
Speaker 3: Episode or the Yes, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. Kurt's graduation gown is accessorized with an insect broach, which of course is probably from Lou's brilliant mind that he wore on his sweater the one that he wore during Defying Gravity in season one.
Speaker 2: That I love that one too, Yeah, that was so sweet. Rachel's pink suitcases identical to the one and showmance where Fenn helps her carry the case.
Speaker 1: I love that realistically, like, who's getting new suitcases that age? So I appreciate that this is the last episode which worry appears physically. That is so weird. You're saying good bye to.
Speaker 3: A lot of people that I don't actually remember.
Speaker 1: Saying goodbye to.
Speaker 2: That is very strange.
Speaker 1: Like we had a whole life after this Kevin on the show, and other people had other lives.
Speaker 3: Isn't that weird?
Speaker 2: It really boggles my mind because it doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: It's very strange because that is the reality of it. That is the fact of it, that this is it for some of these people, but.
Speaker 1: We see them all so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like I don't understand how that was true possible because you also, we've built these bonds so quickly with people right and right, Like Damien feels like he was in the entire show exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is a nons like he just started right.
Speaker 3: That is very weird, Okay, very weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does appear, reappear and already stream in season four.
Speaker 2: That's right, already bring him back, bring him back.
Speaker 1: Of course, it would be Kevin to bring all his friends back. This is the last episode to credit Diana and jama A series regulars.
Speaker 2: What did we not know what was going on on the show we were in.
Speaker 1: I don't think we knew because I don't think a lot of people knew, to be honest, that's.
Speaker 2: Probably sure the summer. There were negotiations going on over the summer. I am sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well we knew Diana was kind of on our way out and jam abough that's a surprise to me. They become guest stars for the future, which is so weird, and Cord on the opposite end, Actually, this is the last episode that he is a guest star and he becomes a series regular, which makes that makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Priority number one helped the kids fire from the pilot reappears in Will's office and there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of sentimental moments in this episode. This is the second time where Finn breaks up with his girlfriend in the car. The first time was in Tierro when he broke up with Quinn. It felt familiar, it did. I like that he's got a he's got a way of doing things. The first season finale, where the final scene is not in the choir room, Santana's mom mentions that she used to dress up his uncle Jesse from Full House on Halloween. Uncle Jesse was obviously played by the beloved John Stamos, who also played Carl on our show another.
Speaker 2: John Stamos is just very popular in this writer's room.
Speaker 4: He's popular in real life. Yeah, everybody loves Everybody loves John Stamos. When Rachel arrives in New York, she is shown leaving Grand Central Station, which is used for commuter trains, Amtrak trains, or Rachel would have been taken to from Lima is the tent station.
Speaker 1: He love that because I know that, and I also was like, why is she taking a train? And in the behind the scenes Brad says the train was more romantic, especially with Finn running after a train and not running after an airplane, so like, yeah, it was very good, but I would I was like, she's really going to take a train from Ohio New York.
Speaker 2: It is much more romantic and cinematic. Totally makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the scene where Finn and his mother are discussing Finn's father's service in the army, Sinn is holding a picture of his father, whose uniform has a US Marines tabs across the pocket, and the Marine Corps startdant pin beneath the ship.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, I love that. That's really good.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the official summary this one actually makes sense. This time. Oh good, graduation is finally here in McKinley High's class of twenty twelve looks to the past and present while contemplating the future.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get into it, Jenna, all.
Speaker 3: Right, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: So over. The whole thing is about saying goodbye, right, the seniors saying goodbye. They're passing on the torch to the juniors. It's all really beautiful. But we're learning throughout this whole episode where people are headed right, So it's time to say goodbye, and mister Shue has one last assignment for everybody for the national winning glee Club, if you will, that's right, it already tells us. So he kicks it off with a song where he sings to us.
Speaker 2: He sings at the most emotional moments he does. He pulls out that guitar. Are ke any plays? I think I want to talk about the overall feeling of this episode. Okay, great, let's do it. Because the thing that I was just really taken it back by was how consistent and thorough the feelings were of leaving something behind it like really encapsulated that for me in every scene, every scene and everyone obviously is dealing with different things, but that through line of like growing up in the sadness of like moving on from this time that you love. You think this is the peak of your life thus far. You don't know what's ahead of you. And so it's this really emotional thing because yes, this is the this is the last time they're all together. They're all going to be in class together. This is also on the podcast, the last time we're all going to talk about the glee club in this form. Weird, It's very strange, and I think just like in real life, you know, some of these moments are marked by the characters like Sue, Selvester and Quinn. Like those moments where the characters that you've seen grow the most, it really hits you. And I feel like it was written in such a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Way because it's directed with like the heart that rad cast and.
Speaker 2: It made us, you know, we were just talking about it made us think of those times which then the show is doing its job.
Speaker 3: It was a really effective episode. You're totally right.
Speaker 2: I just watched the Young Royals series finale on Netflix and then they have a documentary and it was very emotional because obviously, like we've been through a similar thing and it's a very specific experience, and it was the same thing. I watched these back to back and I was like, this is too much all at once. I don't know what I was thinking, but it's really and being able to compare those where that's a high school show saying goodbye in the finale and this was too like we did a good job.
Speaker 1: We did, they did, and it was it was just really it was also sentimental and nostalgic, like they did a lot of that flashback. They did a lot of really good things with the relationships, like you said, like Sue and Quinn and Finn and Rachel, that brought us back to the early days of Glee when you just started to fall in love with these people. Yeah, Brad did an excellent job at executing that. And then also, I think is what made Glee so special in work. There was a part of it that was the chemistry of the cast, right, the chemistry of this group that was learning about each other as we were starting out and all becoming you know, this was becoming huge, and then we have to say goodbye to that that thing we knew and the thing I remember the most was the feeling that we had when we were shooting. It was very similar to the feeling that you got when we watched it this time around, because the we really didn't know what was coming. All we knew was the end of something, and it was hard to say and like I was nervous having like hearing there were new they were casting new kids.
Speaker 3: Like that was so scary for me.
Speaker 1: Because you create this bond with all these people and then you're like severing ties on screen at least, and I.
Speaker 3: Remember, you get what you give.
Speaker 1: Not wanting to weep, but weeping like Lea was weeping, Vanessa was weeping. We were all crying really hard, and Zach and Brooke were there and they're like, this is the last time you were ever gonna perform together. And then they left the room and we started shooting that that's right, and you're like, literally, my jaw was on the ground. I'm a crier already, So this like wasn't good for me. It was beautiful. It was like a real celebration of the thing that we created together. And throughout the whole episode you could se see like wet eyes everywhere.
Speaker 3: You could tell in Leah's face, like everywhere.
Speaker 2: That was that when she's watching in my Yes, in my life, Yes, like, oh that's real, Leah crying, that's totally.
Speaker 1: Even Diana crying a bunch Like it was. It was a really emotional time for us, Like it did feel like a series finale in some way.
Speaker 2: And the show meant that much to us, and our bond and what we had been a part of to create after that point meant that much to us, Like we loved doing this. It's it, And I think that's part of like what this journey on the podcast is is where I feel like that story has been forgotten even by some of our own where like watching this episode, it's like we like those are real tears. We were so upset and also so proud, and it felt very reminiscent of graduating school at some point, whether it's high school or college, where half of you doesn't want to let it go. It's like, oh, these are my people, this is my family, This is where I feel comfortable and seeing they get me and look at all we've accomplished together. But then the other half of you is like, I can't wait to get out of here because I'm so excited for what's next, and not in a you know, a bad way, but I'm just so excited and you feel that in this and I think looking at everyone's faces and different scenes, it's one of two emotions people are feeling.
Speaker 1: It was really bittersweet for us, but because also like the hit, the wheels had already come off by this point, people had lost their minds, people made their way back, and then to know that this was ending, you're like, it's almost like in high school, and you're like, what would I have done differently?
Speaker 3: Is there anything I would have done?
Speaker 1: Because it's the first real time, I think is in it you're emerging adulthood where you're leaving something really profound behind and you're entering like a real new chapter. This isn't like, oh, like you're entering adulthood in a lot of ways. And so for me, it was like, oh, what would I have done different? Would I appreciated this more? Would I have taken more time with these people? Like all of it?
Speaker 3: It just you could feel.
Speaker 1: Those feelings, especially after the wheels had come off, and then they're like, oh, I'm going to miss this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's hard to balance too, because this is after nine full months of shooting, and so we're aired really tired.
Speaker 1: After coming off a tour and coming off for season and coming up, we're exhausted. We're really tired.
Speaker 2: I've really done this marathon since the pilot aired, Yes, and this was our first hiatus, proper hiatus. And then things are not going to be the same when we come back, and we don't know what that's going to look like. Correct, And so even for us, we knew we'd still be in the choir room, but what does that feel like because half of our best friends aren't going to be there? And what does that mean for story? And what does that mean for Are people still going to like this show?
Speaker 3: New Blood?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Whoo, it's this one? This one really I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I remembered how much was how much emotion was in this episode. I was like, oh Nationals, we won. This is saying goodbye Lee. It like Rachel getting on the train like that's it, And I was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh shit, very much the same.
Speaker 1: The ones I remember the most were you Get what You Give and Ruth before Branshaws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, I remember in my life, like I think we did those the same day. We were just right right, But I also in the beginning of this episode, because there's it makes so much sense knowing that this episode is fifteen minutes too long, because we get the start of it is a little rough, like chop chop, and all of a sudden we're in a lesson and all of a sudden people are singing. It was very quick, totally, but I know, Corey like just coming with all the energy like this.
Speaker 4: Is yer Glee Club.
Speaker 2: I see that.
Speaker 1: Whole thing and just now, do you remember them surprising us in some way, like pulling us down and us not remember like there was something about it being a little unrehearsed, and I can't remember what it was, but it might have been them bringing us in the circle, like I don't remember. Maybe it was just Zack and Brook saying the thing that they said, but I remember feeling like surprised by that performance.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't I don't remember, but I feel like I remember Zach and Brook saying that and then leaving and then.
Speaker 1: Vanessa just crying, yes, cry, like really hard crying.
Speaker 2: So I think the best to go through a lot of this episode is to just go through are people who are graduating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wants to give him a nod and a yeah in a wave. Okay, bye bye. So Mike, Tina's sweet boyfriend of many years, is going away.
Speaker 3: He's graduating.
Speaker 1: He receives a scholarship to Jeffrey Ballet in Chicago. I think he was supposed to go to Alvan Aley School and he he gets accepted to a ballet company which is very prestigious. Also to note when they shot these scenes, when Santana is getting the being told where everybody's going to perform, and Mercedes getting which we'll get to getting the recording contract in Santana's going like, oh my god, what am I? What am I doing? I shouldn't be going to Kentucky. I get what Brad was trying to do with like looking down the barrel. It's like it's like you're looking into Santana's eyes, but it is so out of the Glee style. It feels like something Brad Beeker would do, but like it just didn't. It didn't quite have the effect that I would hope because it was a little out of left field for me. I was like, what are they doing? Why are they looking at me? But anyway, it Mike gets to go to Jeoffrey Ballet. And then also this sweet scene that got caught on YouTube where his dad is giving him his graduation present and they're supporting their you know, children and the arts, and it's just and his dad actually looking him in the eyes and telling him he's proud of him. Jane's like, my work here is done. Now go a bitch, it's my turn. Free, b free. Uh So that's Mike. That's where Mike is is headed.
Speaker 2: I loved this little segment though, of Santana learning what everybody's doing, because it was also obviously a great way for us to find out what everybody's doing.
Speaker 3: Great, So happy for you, very funny, very funny.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Mercedes gets a recording. This doesn't make any sense. And Jenna, one day we are going to make a musical and we're going to represent the musical industry properly, because I have yet to see a musical movie or TV show that talks about the music business correct the way it actually works. Yes, right, But anyway, Mercedes got a recording contract as a backup singer on an indie label and we'll be taking classes at the UCLA Extension.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, unless she's still taking classes. She don't need them, but she unless she's well rounded. And then you know, heading to Santana, which this is all through the eyes of her learning about all these people, which is then informing us. She realizes that Brittany got her into Louisville, but she would rather move to New York. She's a star. She doesn't know why she's going to Kentucky. And then we get to go meet Laios Staffa, the woman, the legend, herself, the icon, and her mom. Her mom is against it at first, saying like, you can do all that, you just got to go get your collar's degree first, right, which is what her lost parents are saying, exactly.
Speaker 2: I do the thing I didn't have the opportunity to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, look, I have to say as a parent and as an actor myself, i'd say the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost impossible not to feel that way.
Speaker 1: And I can't tell her what to do at that point, Like she's going to follow her intuition and she's going to do what she's going to do, and she's going to live her life. But like, listen to your mother's.
Speaker 2: I mean that it sucks. As you get older, you realize where your parents are coming those conversations. Unfortunately, Yes, how do you reconcile that though, because because like, yes, that makes sense as the parent who's in their thirties, forties, fifties and has have and has lived a life, seen it, Who've seen it? But then.
Speaker 3: You're putting all your shit onto the kid. Yeah, and you can't. You can't tell a kid not to follow their heart and then tell them what to do. You have to Your job as.
Speaker 1: A parent is to guide and advise and set them up for the best they're set them up for success as best as possible, and then you have to relinquish control.
Speaker 3: That's the truth. So I get it. I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: There is a there's a fine mind.
Speaker 2: It's very hard though, as a parent to relinquish control because you because you have lived though, you do have some sense you know what's ahead in life. But also you are speaking from a much more pragmatic and sometimes more limited point of view because you know life's challenges posed to the young person who doesn't have Yes, it's like, why stunt that because you don't know? I appreciate that exactly. It really is a fine line.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I would do in that case, I don't know how hard I would push. Yeah, I could only share my experience of what I've seen and where I was and then say like, do the best with your information that you were given.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. That's all you can do.
Speaker 2: So I think that scene was also very effective because she goes from you know, talking about like Santana's a boy. She's like, well, you don't want someone in your life who doesn't support who doesn't support you, and then immediately goes, no, you have to go to call It's.
Speaker 1: True, so true. She does this eventually come around. It's a really nice scene that they have at the lockers where she says she gives her her graduation gift of the money she saved over you know, many years for college, which is really sweet, and she sees for she says, she gives her blessing to use it for to go to New York and call her dreams.
Speaker 2: She pays this whole time.
Speaker 3: Right, They are really good together. They're really good together.
Speaker 1: They're both very also very good on their own, and so it's like they just like make each other better.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant. And so the other thing we learned during that meal is that Brittany will not be graduating because she has failed every class because she didn't attend them and has a zero point zero GPA. Now, if this were true, she would not be allowed in glee club. She would not be on the cheerios like she'd be on academic probation. Right, I don't know if there's that, Well, I guess you're right. I went to look, I went to that. Yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right, or some kind of extra school punishment.
Speaker 1: It is glee. I don't think Heather knew though that this was happening until she read the script.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds right.
Speaker 1: I remember her thinking she was graduating and then realized that she was staying back. For me selfishly, I'm glad that she stayed back.
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, we were trying to hold on.
Speaker 1: You got Dren, you had Cord, and now we got Heather. We're like, thank god, let's keep keep them coming. We have Vanessa, crucial for Heather to be there. So Brittany's not graduating, she's staying back. Okay, So Quinn is off to yell and she's reflecting on all of her Oh the gifts high school is given to her, so she you know, wants to pay it forward and give it back. This metro North she and from New York is very funny to me. I don't know, so that they can visit each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If this was just like.
Speaker 1: The writers being like, don't worry, we're still going to see Quinn.
Speaker 2: I think I remember that.
Speaker 3: We're their way of.
Speaker 1: Being like in case I has to come back, and we're just planning the.
Speaker 2: Seed because travel has always been a huge impediment in this show, and so if we can solve the issue of travel and affording it, then.
Speaker 1: You're going we can see our characters exactly. And then she has that really really nice scene so she gets the uniform. She looks great in this scene too. I love that dress she's wearing.
Speaker 2: I mean the whole time, like the hair, she's.
Speaker 1: Looking ready for y'all, Ready for y'all.
Speaker 2: I mean, Sue oh John is really just I was sitting in awe watching that scene because part of me is like, why Sue so nice? Still, like it's been weeks, she's so nice. But I also love it. And when Jane gets up and like walks around her desk to get closer to her to talk to her. She does that Sue look where she looks terrifying but still man manages to like come off sweet and caring and thoughtful. And it was just like a really like beautiful understated performance. Yeah, agreed, where a lot of times because especially in this episode where there's so much happening, Yeah, where you know, people are just good and Jane is just and.
Speaker 1: The two of them like where they started from and the arc of where we're taking them now, they're both like kind to each other and being nice and paying it forward. And like, I think it's the scene we had to see to close out Quinn's storyline. You know, that's where she started, was the villain, and you know she's choice put through the.
Speaker 3: Just put through it.
Speaker 1: At least she really was a steviee showing so I thought was an important team to get them together and see that.
Speaker 2: The other thing Quinn does she helps Puck study for his test because he's scared, and her way to do that, to give back is to just give him a little kiss, because she gives a little talking to like what are you doing? You used to rule the school? You caught the football score, the touchdown, of the one game you guys won their sophomore year, So that seems to work. He graduates or he gets a C minus on the test. Everybody waiting outside the door is really sweet. I just have to say, it felt like everyone had such a nice closing conclusion.
Speaker 1: Totally totally and like he got his mojo back, Like that's Puck. That was like, it's very It's just everything was like in line with their characters. It was like really nice. It was like bringing us back to like the pilot almost almost sweet hurt.
Speaker 3: It's really sweet. It's all really sweet.
Speaker 1: So he dedicates his song that he sings to the men of the glee club for actions accepting him as for who he is and was what is song called I'll Remember which love that. Yeah, it's great for him too, and I love that. It's just he's just planted there and it's just emotion. It's what Chris does best. Put him in the middle with the little spotlight one tier. He's like good to go, but he is. Blaine is a little feeling a little insecure about their relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there has not been enough talk about what is going to happen, right, and.
Speaker 3: Blaine's staying here.
Speaker 1: He's here, and he reasures that they're going to stay together forever, even when Kurt goes to New York, and that is the precursor to the Finn and Rachel of it all, which includes Kurt because they decide that they are going to wait for their acceptance letters to open them all together. Right, Everybody had a really beautiful closing of this episode. In this episode and then we get to Finn and Rachel.
Speaker 2: I love that. I thought it was really sweet to the Glee Club, the kids that are staying did the song and dedicated it to Finn, and I paid their respects because they are right where it's tales all the time.
Speaker 1: That guy.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't become that guy right normally, like Finn has really been for better or for worse, hasn't been perfect, but has been the leader, has kept him on track and has made all these different misfits get along, manage all these personalities and all the personal stuff going on in his life at the same time. And so I thought that was really really special that they did that.
Speaker 3: Additionally, the scene between mister Shoe and him when he admits like how he got him into k club and the flashback of him in the shower, always one of my favorite scenes, and then Finn's reaction to him saying like that makes you even cooler.
Speaker 1: It was like, so great, this is the truly, really really funny I loved it.
Speaker 2: Do you think it was because it was the last episode, so everyone felt that, But I felt like in these scenes everyone was just a little looser, like like the emotions, whether it's comedy or drama, was just more on the surface in a good way.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. That is an interesting observation and question. There's almost like everybody's just leaving it all on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess it also feels like we know, when you graduate high school, you have done the thing. So when you see your teachers and like you're no longer my teacher this last night, like I've graduated, I've accomplished it. So there's also that feeling like a lot of these conversations are like we have now matured, we have accomplished that we were here to accomplish, and now we're out, and so the really job the dynamics change.
Speaker 1: Right, change right now, You're right, That's why I think mister Shud did that. Yeah, it was a good Yeah, really good. Then is really feeling confident after his audition with James Slipton, which is great, and love that he made a cameo, especially after them being on the Actors Studio, and he's feeling really good about his mark he's left and feeling confident about getting into school.
Speaker 2: I was really hoping we were going to see the monologue.
Speaker 1: That I'm glad we didn't. That isn't Corey is wildly capable of it or Finn is. It's just that I I'd like to leave it to the note. Yeah, I was worried. I was like, this is going to be very uncomfortable. I think to watch totally. Unfortunately, Finn and Kurt both don't get into school.
Speaker 3: Spoiler that Rachel does.
Speaker 2: Let me talk about their reactions here. Yes, yes, in an episode that is moving at lightning speed, everything just comes to his halt and Finn and Kurt not immediately faking their happiness for her phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Truly, but I think that was Brad.
Speaker 1: I think the truth is the stakes are so high for them that like, this isn't a moment where you pretend to be happy for Rachel. And also because Rachel's like, what do I do now both of my people are not going what happens like and why she decides that she's going to defer. I loved it. I love the honesty of the scene. I loved it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was great. And it was also like.
Speaker 1: That pausing moment where you're like, let's all take a wreath.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of I think it's also so effective in this type of show where everything is so over the top a lot of the time, that when we do throw in those sort of grounding moments, they're even more effective because of what it's against the rest of the episode.
Speaker 1: Rachel thinks that they're about to go get married. They're picking out wedding chairs, which, by the way, I don't know why they have wedding chairs in the school. It's probably a budget thing. They decided they could do this and not have to have another location to build. Wedding chairs are important, I will say. But Rachel thinks the Finn's taking her to go get married, and they're in the car and she says, okay, you my wedding dress. You've got everything I need takes to the train station. This scene. I don't know if it's because of the out the devastating outcome of which we will.
Speaker 3: Well we know now in hindsight is happening.
Speaker 1: But this, this scene was especially devastating for me to watch this time number one, because Corey's so damn good and so is Leah. But Corey like, oh god, it's so good, it's so good. But then just knowing like the future, it made it like tragic, so tragic for me to watch. I felt like we were actually saying goodbye, and I was.
Speaker 3: I was really moved by their performances.
Speaker 1: I was really moved by how they wrote Finn and like the I think I was like in that moment watching it warning the sadness of like not being able to see Corey do more work like that. Mm hmm if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a work. Yeah, those that scene in the car, it goes from your typical like are you breaking up with me right now? Like sort of you know we've seen that moment and movies before, and then it swaps when she starts crying and is like I can't believe this is happening right now. And there's like a certain way that Leah cries that devastating yeah, and then to wait, you're joining the military. Are you crazy? Yes? And it is just like what is what is happening? He took us on a journey and it was great because how many times have you been in conversations like when you're young like that with people and you're in relationships and you might be breaking up or you don't know what's going on, and things just completely spiral because everybody's acting from their like irrational point of view and there and they're naive, tape off, they're young, they don't He's like, of course, that makes so much sense to him to go join the army, and that's what he has to do. And he's protecting her because he's always the leader, he's always the person who is trying to protect everyone around him. So in one way, he's two words of one stone. If he goes to the arm me they can't get married and she has to go. And then he's also going to clear his dad's name.
Speaker 1: And I also like to have the wherewithal A though in the maturity I guess like it's in the writing though, like Finn has to have that maturity like of being like are you are you one hundred percent and her being like actually not one hundred percent maybe a ninety percent, him going I am one hundred percent like and I know you're going to be more than you are, so like that was like the betrait of him letting her go as hard as it is. It broke me. Yeah, it was really the writing, the performance. The whole thing from both of them was like so excellent, really really good m hm, and then into branches into him chasing the train, and then into Lea turning round.
Speaker 2: I was not well, was Leah crying three quarters of this song? And so emotion? Do you know the technical ability but you have to have to be able to do that. You're singing at one and a half times of speed, so it sounds crazy, but you're still so full of emotion that you were bawling. That is insane.
Speaker 3: Shit, it was so good. It was so good.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely wild.
Speaker 1: And there we are acting like hooligans out on the side of the road, assholes.
Speaker 3: We were schools, like, we're not performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, we were just like rating crafty eating everything in sight.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway, I what a beautifully done finale of that, Like that last quarter of the episode. Really, it really is really locked in at some point. Yes, it totally does. And that's to Brad. We should text him and till and it's really good.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my horse jacket that I'm wearing at the train station because it's so out of place. It was a really great episode. These last few episodes have been solid.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Look you guys, you said it. You said season three was going to be really great. I believed you to an extent. I don't think I could have believed you to this extent until I experienced it myself.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you agree with.
Speaker 1: Kevinan, but like I truly am, Like, wow.
Speaker 2: I am too. But mostly it makes me feel worried for next season because those same people were like, watch out.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe them. I know when they speak, we listen. Yeah, that's they prove themselves to be trust pretty okay, let's crede these performances. Okay, whoever young okay?
Speaker 2: P plus yeah okay, I remember A minus ay minus you.
Speaker 1: Can get what you gave A plus A oh in my life minus okay.
Speaker 3: Glory days when you to talk about graduation.
Speaker 1: Really cute, really cute. Also, like no other people graduating, just our friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nobody else in the school. That each got their own little intro through the curtain, which is really cute. It was also just sad, and I was also very amazed that they could time out the song for when Mark and Corey were walking out to accept their diplomas on the correct line. How do you how do you plan that out?
Speaker 3: We actually don't know. That's a really good question.
Speaker 1: That's very good.
Speaker 2: That's what I think about what I'm watching.
Speaker 3: Graduation was fun glory days. I give it a A.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was really happy for me.
Speaker 1: I mean the plus Yes, yes he made it. But you know, Brad has said, look, Lee is not Bruce Springshane. He knew, he knew his audience. He knows like he's like, of course I want it, but like you know, there's only certain places that fit.
Speaker 2: That fits, So I just I don't, you know, completely agree with that, even though he is one of the creators of the show, just because we did so much like Journey that you wouldn't think kids would be into, but they were sure, sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, But Journey has that moving feeling and not that Bruce doesn't, but more so it set the tone and we did don't stop belaving. That's what I I that's why for Journey, I don't know, but you can be right too. I agree, like I think we have to get people more credit for, you know, appreciating good music.
Speaker 2: I do. Also, though, it's like you want to be protective of, like that's Bruce Brings's is number one. It's like you need to be protective of that, you know, totally bruster for branch Is. I wouldn't have thought this before watching it, but I think it's an A plus for me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's not what I was expecting from you. I am surprised. I surprised myself as well. I am. I think I go with an A. I don't know a plus, but I it's close.
Speaker 2: Right because I do have I do have a hard time when people just start singing.
Speaker 3: Right right out of that scene.
Speaker 2: That scene, Yes, it was a little hard for me. However, once you get into it, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Also, she got New York of shooting random locations.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember that. She was very excited about it.
Speaker 2: Did they do that after?
Speaker 1: I think they did it around up front, so if I'm not mistaken, I don't remember. But maybe she was already there for a front I can't remember. Okay, yeah it was in May, so friends are in May. Okay. I love that she was through New York. I love that we got a tour through New York. I'm I'm, I appreciate it. But like.
Speaker 3: Literally got her going through all.
Speaker 2: Of with the pink suitcase. I go, where are you going in the same outfit?
Speaker 1: I was like, this would have taken hours and she's look in fresh and fine.
Speaker 3: So I just love are yeah, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 1: Are your feet?
Speaker 3: Do your feed her.
Speaker 2: Tonight? Like? What is the plan.
Speaker 1: Literally on being put physically on the train coming off of it?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do some tarty takes. Okay, there weren't a ton for me this Like, no, I don't know, I don't know. I don't I don't have any I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I do either. Okay.
Speaker 2: Wow, it took three seasons, okay, three seasons.
Speaker 3: Wait to finish this season with no auchiese.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, we forgot to talk about Bert's single Ladies.
Speaker 2: That's that's we'll talk about it right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, because it's the best danceman for sure. Was how cute and sweet was that? I mean, we had to have.
Speaker 2: A Burton Kirk moment and you just get that one quick shout of Carol in the graduation. I just need more of him doing that. So much happened in this episode. It is crazy.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that. I was like, oh, yeah, we got to do this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how was that? Did you have to have a little brush up rehearsal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you know how, there's just like gave it to me and I was like, great, I heard good. And it was more about supporting Mike O'Malley anyway, like we weren't trying to be you know, great beyond this moment. It was very cute though it was really for the story, so great, great damn smooths bye Michael Melly. The best song, Oh yeah what you get?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. Performance by prop I want to say the little tassels on the caps because they were really in there. There's a point of moving them from one side to the other. I loved an Amber. I'm going like fixed marks. I think it was.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: I'm going to Quentin's Metro North Pals best line. There's a lot in this and in this scene, this wild scene, yes is wild.
Speaker 2: I mean she Roz was the only one who was firing off one liners this episode.
Speaker 1: She says, Ross, that's quite an accomplishment for a pregnant woman who's askedes so well, just went high school in months?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's mine. Like that is incredible. There's also I don't know, every time Finn speaks in this episode, it's something really beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yes, very important and impactful.
Speaker 2: Sue does get in one more dig She says, well, you think of chlorine brasl Washington, which means one of two things. Either you just returned from the peroxide factory where you spent the afternoon having your hair olmet refurnished, or you've given up trying to steal my cheerios and you're back in the pool where you belong.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's funny. That's funny.
Speaker 2: I did like the one about the vampire baby as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, now, okay, look, the one out she I could say is that we are shaming some old woman for being pregnant.
Speaker 3: But it is a saturn and Sue is much older.
Speaker 1: This is not like somebody who really is like would be having a baby at this time. So look, I don't want to shame women from having babies too late. It's like my one thing, right.
Speaker 2: Fair, it does make for some good comedy though, truly, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: This is like beyond that point, right, We've like passed that point of like I don't know, okay, Morman's MVP. I think Lea and Corey. Yeah, they really brought that bitch home. They really did. I'm like, okay, all right, what.
Speaker 2: An episode.
Speaker 1: Excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent finish too season three? Yeah, Well, there you have it, Kevin. We have made it.
Speaker 2: After three seasons of television and looking forward to more the three more found a TikTok this week is from Pink Tea Bags Kim on TikTok and it is about name a show with better guest stars than Lee. And it's two again, and it's of just all the insane guest stars we had on the show yet show the Skylar, Kate Hudson, GP Grant, Matt Boehmer, Adam Lambert, Demie Levado.
Speaker 1: Ricky Martin, Kristin Chano, ed Neil Patrick Harris, and Gina then Zi out like we did it stay most, we did.
Speaker 2: It so many people. Katie Sagall, Oh my god, Jennifer Coolidge, Gina Gershawn, Lindsay Lohan, x Lee Rex. We really did it.
Speaker 3: Well, you guys. Thanks for sticking with this for season three. You spoke, we listened.
Speaker 1: You were right.
Speaker 2: You were very much right.
Speaker 1: This is very exciting and also let us know what you think before.
Speaker 2: And like, can we is there anything to look forward to and for? Can we set something? L us tell us goal posts here to work towards, look forward to. Tina becomes a diva good, yeah, I like it. Stand in your power, Jenna.
Speaker 3: She does all right. Thanks for joining us. That's what you really missed after three full seasons.
Speaker 2: See ya. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time,