Speaker 1: Native Lampod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reisent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode of Native Lampid where we gave it to you straight no chaser this holiday season. I am your co host Tiffany Cross here with Angela Rye, but Kari Sellers and Andrew Gillum. That's right, ladies, first back in the lead, chare and we got a busy show for y'allday, what are we talking about, guys.
Speaker 3: So much?
Speaker 4: We have some tragedy that of course struck Brown University's campus with two students dying summing critical condition. And my godsend, happens to be a student there at Brown University, plays on the football team, but is an academic on academic scholarship. And he will join us today. His name is f Ali Ho.
Speaker 3: He'll join us to talk about that shooting that is devastating.
Speaker 5: We're going to definitely keep them in our prayers. I just want to take a point of personal privilege here before we get too far down in this and give a shout out to the South Carolina State Bulldog Bos who are there HBCU national champions. I think it's necessary for me to say that with UH. With Andrew Gillham on this podcast as well, I think we all need to give credence to Chenness Burry and the Sacon State Bulldogs. I was in Atlanta this past weekend beat preview A and M along those same lines. We're going to keep it in the football family and talk about something that has kind of shocked the cultural world. Coach Sharone Moore, UH, coach at University of Michigan. He crashed out a little bit and UH we'll talk about all the dynamics around his what is now infamous cash crash out as the first African American head coach in the history of University of Michigan football.
Speaker 3: You can also say cash out, he's cashed out as well as.
Speaker 5: Get say that he out of cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's too Andrew.
Speaker 2: What you got?
Speaker 6: That's true?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: The tragedy's unfortunately continued this week, and I wanted to reflect just for a moment on I think someone who was mutually known to a number of us, Rob Reiner, his wife Michelle, and they're untimely and very tragic passing. Just to reflect a little bit on some I think interesting interconnections that different ones of us may have.
Speaker 1: We do want to kick off the show with Rob Reiner. Andrew, you and I both had a personal relationship with I and Michelle, and on our production call when we were talking about the show, you shared that you guys had lunch, I believe breakfast when you were on the campaign trail, and I've certainly broken bread with them. But want to hear your story about your time and just really quickly before so our viewers know. This week, Rob Reiner and his wife Michelle were found deceased in their home in their Los Angeles home, and what came out later this week is that their son Nick is being charged with those murders. So very tragic story all around, and even our ignorant ass, remorseless ass president weighed in on it. But I would love for us to just first focus on the beautiful life and the beautiful person that Rob Reiner was, he and his lovely wife Michelle. So, Andrew, what was your experience with.
Speaker 6: Yes, me had actually for those who who know me maybe followed the campaign a little bit, you know that Norman Lear and I were very close. I worked for the organization he founded, People for the American Way and people for the American Way Foundation for all the years of my early career working and movement work, and got very close to Norman and his wife Lynn. And as a result of that, if you knew Norman, then you knew Rob because Norman in some ways kind of discovered him even though Carl rein Or his father, was already in the entertainment business. He tells his story of playing jacks with one of Norman's daughters, one of his older daughters, and Norman reflecting to Carl, you know, hey, that kid's kind of funny, and Carl basically saying that kid, no, he's a mute. He doesn't talk. You know, his father, Carl didn't really observe him as being someone who could really be a participant in this very outwardly facing business of entertainment, and Norman saw something different, ended up, of course, casting him for the role that so many of us came to know him as. And that was me head from all in the family show that you know, we probably could debate this another time that I would question whether or not could even take liftoff in today's environment. It just held such a vivid mirror up to the country through the use of satire about the kind of overt discrimination and racism that existed, and Rob played a very memorable role as sort of the liberal student and the son in law to Archie Bunker. That again, I think held up a really important vivid mirror mirror to the country to see itself reflected. But through satire, which I think is sometimes the best way of helping us reckon with some of the more difficult issues in our community. We got Rob was a mainstay around people for the American Waves events that we would all hold each year in Los Angeles. And actually during the campaign, my campaign for governor, I made a number of trips out to Los Angeles and on one of those occasions got to sit down with Rob and Norman Lear for lunch. And you know, frankly, it was a very welcome actually after giving him a quick update of the race, of a very welcome distraction from the race for governor, just watching them and listening to them and laughing. But a personality that's just so big, a heart that's so big, a man who cared so big. I didn't know Michelle, as you know as well, but could only imagine that a person with such a huge heart, could only find his match in someone with equally as large a heart.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 6: You know, prayers up for him in his family and the very tragic circumstances surrounding his passing in Tiffany, I know you also had your experiences with them, and I love to hear.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to be celebratory of his life because he was such a staple in my life before we even had a chance to meet. He was not, as you said, the iconic character meathead on all in the family, but he also like my early, my earliest movies that I was so addicted to. He was a producer, so stand by me, that was one of my favorite movies, The Princess Bride. I still know every line from that movie. When Harry met Sally is one of the movies I watch every Christmas. Misery of You Good Men, Ghost of Mississippi. He was so conscious and so talented, and so I just really enjoyed when I got a chance to put a face to the name and a personality to this person who had shaped my childhood, much of my childhood.
Speaker 2: But the sad part of this is so.
Speaker 1: When I this is probably twenty eighteen, I was in La and Rob knew I was going to be there, and he asked if I wanted to come out to Brentwood and have lunch with him and his wife Michelle, or if I want to come to their home and have dinner. And so because of my schedule, we ended up having lunch and we had the most wonderful time. I will honor their privacy about some of the teams they shared, but the crazy parties. They were talking to me about their son Nick and how many problems and how many challenges they were having and who knew you know that years later that you know he would be charged with their murders, which is so sad. But they were asking how I grew up. I was telling them, and they were kind of debating between them about how to handle their son, and it was just so awful. Another one of my favorite shows is Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David. It is just an amazing show. I think in my younger years I was like, Larry David is an asshole, and my older years, I'm like, Larry David had it right. So when I watched now, I have a completely different take. And so Rob and Larry David are really close friends, and I was telling them how much I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. And there's an episode where they go out to dinner. Larry David and his wife Cheryl played by Cheryl Hines. They go to dinner with another couple and so this other couple they treat Larry and his wife to dinner and Larry thanks the man. He says, you know, thank you so much for dinner. And the wife is there and she's like, okay, well what about me? And he's like, yo, okay, like what about you. I thanked your husband. He paid for dinner. She's like, well, we paid for dinner. It's our money. And he's like, you don't work. Is your husband's money. And it gets into this whole thing. So when I'm telling Rob and Michelle's story, and Michelle's like, you know, he based that episode on us, that happened with.
Speaker 6: Us, and.
Speaker 2: He only thanksout.
Speaker 1: So I just I love their whole like friend crew, their friendship. And he was such a wonderful man when I got my show. He was so celebratory. He was always on joy sale Joy read, and he also had a close friendship. So I just honor his talent and so much of his life that he lived on screen behind the camera, but also as a really good patriot in today's society and all the things that he did, he supported so many causes that benefit the greater good, and so I want us to focus on that and highlight that. But I do know, Angela, we were talking about on the call that it was really disgusting to see Donald Trump post on truth Social. I don't think it's worth really revisiting what he said, but it was just really ugly things that Donald Trump said because he's a child, a petulant child, and so I know you were really upset by that, Angela.
Speaker 2: So curious your thoughts about all of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I hate to do this, but just to refresh the viewers recollection or actually give them some window into the soul of who this man is who now sits in the chair as commander in chief of this union, I think should actually roll the clip.
Speaker 6: A number of Republicans have denounced your statement on True's Social after the murder of Rob Reiner.
Speaker 2: Do you stand by that post?
Speaker 8: Well, I wasn't a fan of his at all. He was a deranged person as far as Trump is concerned. He said he knew it was false affect. It is the exact opposite that I was a friend of Russia controlled by Russia. You know, it was the Russia hoax. He was one of the people behind it. I think he heard himself in career wise, he became like a deranged person Trump derangement syndrome. So I was not a fan of Rob Reiner at all in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: I thought he was very bad for our country.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so tif you normally say the cheese stands alone, and it's normally about somebody standing on the side of righteousness. This cheese cheesy nut is standing, you know, clearly, like not even the fact that he could use the words deranged after the type of killing, like gruesome murder they suffered, as is alleged, I think is so unfortunate.
Speaker 3: And this country is run by this man who.
Speaker 4: Will get out regularly promote information that it has no you know foundation. In fact, he will sound so callous. Actually, I'm actually surprised about what he said about Brown, because at least he found some compassion for Brown students and for the people who suffer that tragedy on the campus. But it is remarkable to me the things that come out of his mouth, and I know that at some point I should stop being surprised, but there just is no floor, you know, there is just absolutely no floor. So for people to be suffering like this during the holiday season or at all, and then for him to say anything about some Trump derangement syndrome, which is a completely made up met I mean, it's just anyway. I wanted to play that because, you know, it's shocking to me that there's someone who could be the commander in chief and say something so ugly, even in times when people really disagree, you never wish death on anyone.
Speaker 3: These are things that we know.
Speaker 4: I don't just think their Christian principles certainly rooted in the church, but there are people that just find and tap into their humanity and he just cannot do that. So I wanted to play that because I think it's interesting that they gave him an opportunity to say, you know what, I went too far in truth social you know what, I should have done something different, and he just doubled down into bs.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a great it's not a great, but it's interesting to contrast that to how Rob Reiner responded to the death of Charlie Kirk with such great humanity, and even though on opposite sides of probably every side of most issues political still have the human compassion, the human awareness, the human experience to say, this should not have happened, and it shouldn't happen to anybody, regardless of where we stand on the political divide. But that's just you who. That's who Rob Reiner was, and this is who Donald Trump is. He's a megalomaniac and in every condition, in every situation, he's got to figure out how to make it about himself. And I think that that is I don't know how far medicine goes and sort of handicapping that kind of a condition, but I do think that there's something the synapses are not all working, they're not all flaring, that caused you to deepen into your humanity when every situation has to be somehow converted to being about you, no matter what it is.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just listening. I it's it's hard to dive into a discussion as robust as this because I didn't have the personal relationship with Rob Ryiner, and uh, you know, I think it's fascinating to see the individuals in your orbit, because I was questioning whether or not his death would actually break through the fourth wall, because you know, all in the family was a little bit before my time. I did love him in Woofle Wall Street. I think that that was probably the best acting scene I've ever seen in my life with he and Leeho DiCaprio and they're discussing the expense report. Yeah, and it's just it was like a room full of amazing actors in that space. But to hear you all talk about it shows that it did kind of break through that fourth wall, that it has permeated more mainstream thought because of his impact, and I think that that is symblematic or emblematic of his impact. That's kind of first. Second, I do think it's death highlights two political issues that I would love to hear you all's input on. One is the role of or how we discuss and talk about mental health in his country, whether or not it's Rob's son, or whether or not it's the heavy dose of psychopathy that our president suffers from, and how we address it and the narcissism. I would talked about this on CNN the other night and got a bunch of doctors who you know, a lot of black doctors were saying that the word you missed Bokari is narcissism, and we don't really talk about it enough. I don't talk about it enough in association with him. I try to stay away from diagnosing people with mental health issues because I'm sure I can be diagnosed with enough. But I do think it highlights both of those things. And then the other issue is I am fascinated by the role of Christian nationalism or Christian conservatism or white evangelical Christianity, whichever one of those, or however you want to couch it, and they're coddling of Donald Trump. And I love to hear you guys dig into it, because you know, you have somebody who has a prayer counsel, you have somebody who has that Christian nationalist whatever, however you want to phrase it. And I don't know what the correct definition of it is. But he has that block of this country behind him, and yet he doesn't have that walk that we would all aspire to have. He's not on the same journey that we would even though we fail. I mean I fail every day I wake up. You know, that's a part of that journey. How does that work politically? And how does that? How do we how do we crack into that? Do we crack into that? Is it worth cracking into it? Or do you all see that as not an issue as you look at Rob Ryer's death, because that's the first thing, or one of the first things, because I didn't have a personal relationship that I thought was all of these Christian conservatives supporting a man who literally has no ethos. It's two Corinthians.
Speaker 1: I think it's never been in Bible school in his life. I think this is something that the media calls them. I don't call them Christians or evangelicals, and the data supports that. You know, the and for a long time, I'm glad you said white evangelicals vacari because for a long time the white was silent. They would just say evangelicals. The white was silent, but the hypocrisy was loud. During Trump's first term. I'm sure you guys know this. The number of Americans who identified as evangelicals expanded under his first term, firmly in his corners.
Speaker 2: In twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Now more than eighty percent of white evangelicals voted for Donald Trump in the last election. In twenty twenty four, and I know, I think of all the black women who are you know, Christian toten Bible toten deacon board members in people in the pews every Sunday, and that group has never been referred to as evangelicals. And I think research came out from Pew that reported sixty nine percent of these white evangelicals say they only attend religious services two or three times a year or less, emphasis on the or less. So I wonder what did they do to earn this title of evangelicals or Christians?
Speaker 5: Well maybe, I mean I look at the like, I'm in the South, Andrew's in the South. And one of the things I can tell you about being in the South is we all have that one first Baptist church that's white town does downtown and it's all white. It's literally all white and a negro insight, right. And then you got a Baptist church that's probably like in the black side of town. That's huge, right. And I'm talking about the fact that these the people who go to First Baptists in the heart of every southern city downtown, ninety eight percent of them still voted for Donald Trump. Now we can call them whatever we want to, and that that is kind of our if we're ever And this is a bold statement for me to make, and this is indicative of this Rob Ryner situation. And this is where this is. This is how I take the pressure off of the four of us and changing the world, because I say, the country will never change unless white male evangelicals want it to. And I just firmly believe that no matter how much we push a prad the country will never change its direction, of course, unless white male evangelicals wanted to. And I look at these individuals still standing behind this man who went to the depths of hell to talk about somebody who had the heart that you all described in the terms that he did, you.
Speaker 6: Know, Butcury, I sort of when I hear the term evangelical, to me, it has much more of a political connotation than it does a religious one. And part of this for me probably comes out of the you know, the movement helmed by the radical right, the quote radical right evangelicals who were attempting to transform frankly take hostage Christianity religious religiosity in this country and bastardize it into a political terminology that they could then convert religious believers, Christian believer, Christian white religious believers into a political commodity. They were evolved into a vote block that was largely intended one to further codifyde and white male supremacy in the family and in community, and moreover, to then control the bodies of their women, white women largely, but women writ large because the impact was cast so broadly on all women and their reproductive rights. They organized, you know, through the seventies and early eighties on television as many of us, you know, sort of recall, and were largely weaponized during the Reagan administration to again advance a political electoral outcome. And so I don't give them the grace, the credit, the merit of having religious favor on their side, or even deep religious beliefs on their side. I see control, I see white male supremacy, and I see the bastard of real faith. Uh in favor of creating a political block that could be negotiated with, can be moved, you know, from from here to there, largely on the Republican side, to to stretch their muscle in the context of primaries to produce a candidate who would move their political agenda and I think that that's what the You know, so the people who who sort of began this conversation on the right actually hope to hope to achieve was a political heavyweight and not a religious test, not even a faith test, not not the production of a more religious or god faithful country. They wanted a more white male uh hegemonist society, and they weaponized and then bastardized faith to achieve that end. So they don't get real credit with me. It is a political term as far as I'm concerned. And where where people who might consider themselves truly faithful on the right come down in this sort of equation, in my opinion, is that they have made their peace with being in common cause over the issue largely of reproductive health and of controlling women's bodies uh and frankly making illegal abortions aside from that issue. Can't, I can't. They're not organizing for the poor, they're not rallying behind the the health and well being of children.
Speaker 5: They're not doing they're doing.
Speaker 6: They're not doing it to others as you would have them builty. They're not doing any of that. All the verses that we know of, they don't live that life. They're a political commodity traded back and forth on the on the on the on the on the conservative right. As far as I'm.
Speaker 4: Concerned, yeah, I think now is a good time since we probably will not crack the code on uh white evangelicals in white Christian nationalism today. But what we do know is that their Plan A may not work, and so there's Plan B A little pun intended. As we transitioned to Sharon Moore, who was rumored to have door dashed some plan be over to his mistress at the University of Michigan. He, of course, is the head football coach at the school, was recently fired after the relationship that she previously concealed and he definitely concealed throughout the duration, was discovered from the University of Michigan. She broke up with, as reported the coach on December eighth, and then told the University of Michigan about the relationship on December tenth. He was fired. He had some moments Bakari wants to talk about, and I want to talk about if she should be fired, because people right now are talking about whether or not a subordinate should be fired in this circumstance.
Speaker 3: So I'd love to hear y'all thoughts on this.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit of white mess, a little bit of black mess, we'll call a little bit of.
Speaker 3: But it is a mess.
Speaker 4: And we were talking about mental health earlier, so all jokes society also had a really severe breakdown.
Speaker 3: It looks like my thre man.
Speaker 5: No, he did.
Speaker 3: Threatening her life.
Speaker 5: He didn't have no severe mental break. It was a butter knife that man took him. It was Tiffany. He was playing game the.
Speaker 4: Way you shouldn't thrown nobody's life. You shouldn't threaten to take hers.
Speaker 5: Can I can I ask all a question? Yes, Yeah, he took out a butter knife andry. That man wasn't seriously, he wasn't about to do nothing. Have y'all ever have y'all have y'all ever been in a relationship where either you crashed out of the other person crashed out. Yes, yes, I want to hear about it. Can you talk about it?
Speaker 4: No, I want to talk about this black man and I can talk about it.
Speaker 6: I'm much more interested in but Car's question.
Speaker 5: About we're talking about she should be fired in a minute. But I want to hear about the crash outs.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can talk about it.
Speaker 1: I let me just say first, I'm never the aggressor, you know, like I didn't and I don't know, okay anyway, anyway energy, if you aggress I'm not when I'm arguing with somebody.
Speaker 2: So it depends what your crash out looks like.
Speaker 1: When I'm in argument with a man and it's only been one person to make me move this way, I don't yell, I don't curse. I'm not you know, like, it's not one of those like situations where you know, we got Jahen playing in the background and I'm throwing ship out on the lawn or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I have thrown stuff I see, I don't do.
Speaker 2: I'm not violent. It's nothing like that.
Speaker 3: I was not violent.
Speaker 1: I am going to hit you in the place that it hurts the most, in the most calming way. And so this guy, he was not very nice to me, and he did something that I he was just not nice to me. Angela knows the whole story. So he just wasn't a nice person to me. And we were fighting, and he was divorced and he had a really touchy relationship with his kids, and amidst this fight, I said maybe that's why your own kids don't even like you. And that was probably the worst thing I could say to him. Well, it was the worst thing I could say. It was a wound that he has shared with me, and I'm not trying to excuse it. I would just say there was months and months and months of him hurting me and so then when I lashed out, that's how I did it. So that's my version of crashing out. I think it's different if somebody pulls a knife, butter or otherwise on somebody. I think that kind of crash out is a little different. I know angel does not want to talk about crashing out, but I want to ask, and I think this.
Speaker 2: If y'all have an opinion, that's fine. But I kind of feel like.
Speaker 1: This is a question specific to Angela because I know I have thoughts. When you hear about this kind of crash out, does it make a difference to you? Because I know what I want to know is the wife white or black woman? That's my point. So when you know that, does it make a difference on how you respond or how you feel about the situation.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's no comment.
Speaker 5: Advertising. I'll just say this is.
Speaker 3: What I will This is what fight the power. This is what I will say. And I got my black leather on to day.
Speaker 4: At least it's vegan leather, but I got it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, thank you. I will just say that what troubles me about this story in particular, and I think there's historical context.
Speaker 4: I said to somebody the other day, I was like, this might be the first time I've ever agreed with doctor.
Speaker 3: Umar on some stuff, but like, it just feels like.
Speaker 4: Black women in the same position as this subordinate at school would not be would not have the same protection by the school. I do not believe even based on what's the policy they have listed. The policy they put in place after the provost at the school was sexually harassing women is policy number twoh one point ninety seven. And in that policy they require that if you're in a relationship with the subordinate, the supervisor must report the relationship. Well, he denied the relationship, and so did this subordinate. But she actively concealed text messages and denied the relationship. I don't know what happened for her to break up with him, but I just think that in these situations.
Speaker 3: I want to know more. I want to know more about what happened.
Speaker 4: I'm not justifying his violent behavior at all, but I'm very curious to know, you know what, like, did she threaten him?
Speaker 3: Was this an extortion moment?
Speaker 4: Was like what happened to make her say now I'm gonna report this relationship after denying it? And then two, I just feel like, again, if a black woman were in the same position, One, she wouldn't have got that fifty five raise this young lady got.
Speaker 3: And two I think that she would have been fired.
Speaker 1: To the lawyer, Yes, go ahead, what you just read, Angela said, the supervisor must disclose the relationship. Errol, The onus is on the supervisor. So I don't see wrongdoing in her part legally.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: This is the part of me and Barcaria are arguing about because I'm saying that that is true. That is what their policy says. It's not the law. That's what University of Michigan's policy is. But if you're confronted about an alleged relationship and you deny said relationship, and you also concealed text messages they went through her phone, So when you do all of that, you are actively doing something wrong. I think she should be penalized, whether it's the suspension or something.
Speaker 3: I think that she should be penalized too, I really do.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired, he should be fired, but I'm saying there should be some type of penalty for involvement in the relationship.
Speaker 5: They're two different things too, I hear you, Tiffany. But the first thing is Angels talking about something that falls outside of outside of that ordinance that she read, because she's talking about impeding some type of internal investigation or obstructing it, which the young lady clearly did. However, she eventually came back and rectified all of that and told her truth and brought receipts and all those other type of things. But it's very difficult to in this word. I know we're going to get crucified or I am in the comments for using this word and describing her, but this is an accurate legal term in describing her in this situation. You cannot fire the victim of any type of sexual harassment or improper relationship in this setting. You just simply cannot. They already gonna have to pay her. Firing her looks like some form of retribution, and if I was advising him. I'd just be like, you keep her along. The other thing is I think a black woman would have got to raise because apparently it was that good that he was handing out raises and everything else. So he ain't get no approval. He was like, he was like, man, this box is amazing. He goes. So that's that's my opinion. But andrew back to my question, which was the best question asked on this show in a long time. I've actually crashed out once with my current wife. She made me mad. She went down the homecoming that's not even her homecoming back.
Speaker 3: She made me mad.
Speaker 5: Argument. Yeah, she went to more House spelling because you know, her whole family went down there, and she's like, we going to the club and all this other stuff. We had been arguing, arguing, arguing, and I punched a hole in the wall, okay.
Speaker 2: In front of her.
Speaker 5: No, she was gone. We were on the phone. I hung up and punched the hole in the wall, not with her not around.
Speaker 3: I hope your hand hurt too. I hope your hand hurt really, But.
Speaker 2: What was the anger? What drove you to that reaction?
Speaker 5: But I was like, I'm not I didn't go because I hadn't been because we had an awful homecoming experience the first time I took her, which is a whole nother episode because for you all who haven't been to an HBCU homecoming, we fought all night long over that one question you should never ask at an HBCU homecoming if you didn't go, which.
Speaker 6: Is did you mess with her?
Speaker 5: Who is that? Did you mess yet? Exactly? Please? Cause they give they give hugs that are different at HB So I didn't go back for a long period of time, but she went with her sisters whatever, and then I punched a hole in the wall. We ended up breaking up after that, but we got back together after some time.
Speaker 1: But I'm confused with her. Then you punched the hole in the wall? Why was it that she was at homecoming? Was it that she was there to spite you? Was it that she might have run into some dudes and they might have hollered at her?
Speaker 5: The above, all of the above, And when you're irrational, you're irrational and it makes no sense, and then you wake up in the morning you're like, I got this hole in the wall.
Speaker 6: I got a passion thing.
Speaker 5: So that was funny. No, I make sure there was no stud right there. I wasn't silly. Uh. And then I got crashed out.
Speaker 6: On load load no load, daring walls here.
Speaker 5: And then I got crashed out on one time. I'm not gonna say who, but in college one time, my senior year, my good friend Jared Lodhuk, Uh, my my ex girlfriend came in the house and she was like, I'm gonna just go back here.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: She had been mad at me for something, probably because I was too good of an American, and she put all my clothes. She put all my clothes in the tub. And when Jared walked back there, my entire closet, she had bleach out, and he like he stopped her. He stopped her from pouring bleach on my clothes.
Speaker 6: But oh my god, but I.
Speaker 5: Did have I did it. When I got home, I was like, why are all my clothes in the tub? And he was like, you're lucky. It almost got worse than this. So shut out to my brother for for saving me on that infamous crash out moment.
Speaker 6: Did you want to share? Did you want to share yours? No?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I wanted to talk about this white woman and this black man and what happened as a result because his crash I was severe. He went to jail. I had never been to jail. I never threatened violence on anybody.
Speaker 1: I will say I had a respond to something about with the white man. And because I'm still a little confused, I'm gonna tell you. You tell me what I got wrong. He's married, she works at the school doing what do we know what she does?
Speaker 4: She's an assistant mistress.
Speaker 1: She's talking about the mistress. Is she his administrative assistant?
Speaker 5: Yes, executive assistant.
Speaker 2: She's his executive assistant.
Speaker 1: These two start having an affair, and you said that he sent he uh uber eats her a Plan B.
Speaker 2: Like, how did all this blow up?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: So yeah, so they that is what is rumored.
Speaker 4: I don't have any fact on that, but it is interesting because they're saying how this relationship was discovered, right that there was a door dash or some type of order of Plan B to the office and it was discovered in that way. I know that's ignorant, but it makes it tracks because this whole thing is ignorant. She was an administrative assistant in the athletic department. You see him like on the field with her talking to her if that was the practice or a game. I think it was a break before a game. But they were in a relationship and it's been ongoing for at least a year.
Speaker 3: It's been like.
Speaker 5: Okay, but it was. It was one of those things. It was a well known secret, well known, well known secrets. Yeah, open secret, Like they would walk around on campus together. The football players would would kind of pick on they would talk about it, pick on him about it. It was a well known secret. Her father is actually the executive scout for the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: How about that? How about that? So so I think that's why I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: I think that this is far more nefarious than what is alleged.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I was gonna say, this just goes deep and deep water here and we can this is a mini pod. When I got elected and when I got elected in two thousand and six, one of my family friends who is a very well known former.
Speaker 4: Remember, wait, but Carr, you're add tip did you get clarity on this on this storyline?
Speaker 2: Though still I'm sure how it all blew up.
Speaker 5: But I was this ties in tied together. No, no, no, because I'm not gonna mention his name, but yeah, but he was. He's very popular, very well known, very well known politician, but he's a close family friend. And he told me when I got elected, he said, you never hire anyone that's attractive. And he said, either you are sleeping with him or people think you're sleeping with him. And I know that that probably is one of the more misogynistic, sexist type of ideals. I was looking at my friend Ben Watson his He was talking about his college football coach. Ben is a great guy, played tight end at the at the Georgia Bulldogs played in the NFL twenty years and he said his college football coach would not get in the elevator with the woman by himself. And I know that's an outdated but so that's my question to y'all. And I don't know if Andrew heard anything similar. It doesn't.
Speaker 6: I was supposed to hire a mother figure for my off and I sure did, Angela Whitaker.
Speaker 7: Love her to death.
Speaker 6: She's a preacher and uh uh and was my EA. And she had the discernment of Jesus' first acolyte. You know, if you will calling office for I mean I had honestly, when I first got elected, I had people who missed us a contestant, Come bring her fold out book, walk me through the pictures, and when she got crowned.
Speaker 5: This is that.
Speaker 6: I mean, my my aid was in for every meeting that she was suspicious of. Uh, sat right there in the room.
Speaker 5: Job you give her?
Speaker 6: There were no jobs out, none, but car you hilarious, you really are. I'm I'm not following you down into any of those drains, however, But the point is is that yes, it was stated, and then it was like, okay, my progressive self, we cannot state this anywhere. But there were operating rules that were not stated around much of you know, much of those kinds of things. And I do think it's unfortunate, but I have to tell you, almost to a t, every one of those instances that she was suspicious about could have very easily become something else, because in the moment when she's not there is when the unterappropriate comment gets made to you or the overture. You know, you sense the overture being made and you have to have discipline around to avoid it or to walk through that door. So the truth is that even though it's probably not popular, and it certainly isn't anybody's hr book to do this. Most of those instincts around not doing that, it is probably the right instinct.
Speaker 2: That's not I agree.
Speaker 4: I think I agree it's very unfair. I don't think it's fair either, But I'm gonna tell y'all. Like one, there's like very traditional church stuff around this. So like growing up, like high school away I started going to coaching church. In high school, we were told like you date in groups, you know, you go in groups. And even after that, like you don't do if you like, if you meet with a.
Speaker 3: Pastor or an elder, a deacon, you meet with the door open.
Speaker 4: Like there are some things that people do not because it's biblical, but just because it's wisdom. And I think that, you know, there are a lot of especially young folks, are like all of that sounds crazy, but like even when I started my CBC job, the first CBC meeting I went to, I had on like it was my favorite DVF dress.
Speaker 3: It was black and.
Speaker 4: If it was form fitting, but it wasn't like yes, it was, well, it was right to the knee, like right at.
Speaker 5: The did you have to jump up and down?
Speaker 3: Shut up? No, just wait a minute, let me make my point.
Speaker 4: So the thing is it was form fitting, but it wasn't skin tight.
Speaker 3: The women members that left.
Speaker 4: That meeting and how they described what I had on, you would think that my ass was out at the club, boobs booted, ever at the sea through like it was so bad and you know what was behind that. I was so offended at first when it was reported back to me by Patrice Willoughby, who was the edy before me. But she was saying, you know, the members really want to make sure that you cover up. You know, the women are and they were trying to protect me from the men.
Speaker 3: So it's there is something about it that is.
Speaker 4: Frustrating, that is remarkably unfair, but also it comes from a place of protection.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 4: I ain't going to speak for all of them, but I know in my experiences that absolutely came.
Speaker 5: From go ahead.
Speaker 1: I think that's so unfair, and if that were the case, that Angela wouldn't have been hired for any of the jobs that she had on Capitol Hill. I also don't think that those comments are always rooted in protection. Sometimes there is like an animus towards younger women who look a certain way, and you can feel you can feel that, and it doesn't come from a good place all the time. Furthermore, it's discrimination, like you're discriminating against some.
Speaker 2: And I think it says more about the higher than.
Speaker 1: It does the potential employee that you cannot handle a situation like attractive people can be attractive and smart and capable. So if whoever was doing, you know, mister Clever's hiring Congressman Emmanuel Cleaver from Missouri, who is the executive director or the CBC at the time, Andel chair or the chair forgive me the chair of the CBC when Angel was ed, imagine I'm saying like, no, no, no, mystically, but she can't work for you, but she's too attractive, Like that would not have been fair to.
Speaker 6: But the facts are is that attractive people are not losing. They're the ones who are large.
Speaker 2: But we don't know that.
Speaker 6: Studies, no, no, no, no, no. Studies studies attraction identify that the more attractive you are, the more likely you are to be hired, the higher paid you are, so on and so on and so on. So in truth, even though we may have some of these layers on our associations, the truth is is that people who are attractive who are largely you know, thinner who I mean, they're winning by.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you yes, Andrew every point, there was some women who were like, how did you get your job?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: I was about to say, I mean the perception, the perception, but you must have been doing something.
Speaker 3: So then let me tell you what my answer was.
Speaker 4: Back, and young people, I encourage you to try this at home, I said, back, not the same way you got yours?
Speaker 1: Young fun that way, like that is the surest fastest way to alienate yourself. Like watch your mouth when you're talking to people asking you. You are a young person trying to find your question. I agree that question is well, the implication of the question is in appropriate.
Speaker 4: It was the way they even said it. I know it was like, oh, how did you get your job?
Speaker 3: Not the same way?
Speaker 1: You disrespectful to you and they yeah, But I hope that younger people can navigate that space a little better. Here's the advice I would offer young women, and something I don't know, I don't know. I wouldn't I would not encourage that kind of tone from younger people trying to navigate their way. This is the advice I would offer that I had to learn myself because a lot of people, sometimes older men come to in quotations help younger women, younger attractive women, and they come under the guise of mentorship or under the GUIDs that I'm trying to help you, and they have bad intentions. And then you're met with this group of more established older women who are looking at you saying things like, well, how did you get your job? You know, and you can feel lonely as this young person trying to find your way. You know, both both sides are trying to attack you from a very negative way. Here's what I had to learn. So a guy told me this. He's like, look, you're a young attractive woman in DC. People are going to try to you know, if your go if your intention is I'm never going to talk to you because you're trying to sleep with me. Like you, it would be hard for you to navigate. You have to learn how to navigate those situations. So things I did, and I offer this to young women. One, there's no reason for us to meet for drinks or dinner. If somebody wants to help you have breakfast, let's meet for breakfast. See if the chief of staff or somebody or coffee, even see if somebody can join you, you know, say I really you know, your chief of staff or your home ever, if it's not a member on Capitol Hill, but somebody else, like I would love to learn from them as well, you know, Or is it possible if I bring a friend of law because she could really benefit from your tutelage anything like that. I think for women who Angela says it comes from protection, I didn't always experience it as protection. I think for women who respond that way, unfortunately, like you're not in a place to battle with them on equal footing. So I think a better or one way I would suggest responding is to show your talent, you know, like actually answer the question, say, oh I graduated top of my class. I'm from Spellman. I you know, intern for this person. That person. I'd really love to pursue law. I hope to be an executive director one day. Would love to bend your ear if you have time to hear from me to me and let me do agree to me. That is a little more belittling, but also because me as an older person, if I talk to a younger person that way and they responded, now I feel embarrassed. Now, I feel embarrassed that I was trying to be a vits to this young girl and she responded with an appropriate answer that gave me her resume that showed that she more than earned the job, and she just happened to be attractive.
Speaker 5: She's still at gonna like this, she.
Speaker 2: Does your one. That's not true, Beakari.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that about It pitched women against women, and I just hate that attitude. But they would give practice to these young people to carry yourself with a certain demeanor.
Speaker 6: You knowsition in the conversation. Y'all are people who actually genuinely mean to help you along the way, which I have to say are they're plentiful in the process. And sometimes the experiences you might get from some of those people is that because they're they're either they're set up to to to being where they are has already been tainted by someone, or their experiences so far have have caused them to have doubt around your intentions so much that there becomes this rejection of decent people who are really just trying to help you navigate the situation, not trying to get in your bands are offended by the very suggestion that that's their intent, and you find yourself up the creek without a pedal because you decided to put everybody in the same box. That wasn't the but was it the intent?
Speaker 3: So I guess that's men and women.
Speaker 5: I can only imagine the opportunities I missed just from being handsome. I mean, it's.
Speaker 6: But this show was not one of them, and that's good.
Speaker 5: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: I mean you've you've had Angela is intentional about mentoring young people in a way that will make all of us feel guilty because I don't have the capacity that she does. But she devotes so much time to these young people. You guys have all talked to PDP, but you run the program like you. It's it's a difference between me popping in to talk to them.
Speaker 3: Versus I just appreciate it. They do too.
Speaker 1: But you have had young people and that say, I bore witness once. But you had young people come out their mouth the wrong way to you. Not it's like subtle, you know, it's like you just won one little inch too far, and it does not endear them to you.
Speaker 3: You know, it actually does.
Speaker 4: There's one in particular she's gonna be mad at me for saying it. Not the one, but this one that comes to mind. I actually appreciate the combative ones the most in the program because it gives me an opportunity.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 4: It gives me an opportunity to guide a little more. I know what it feels like to be froggy and leap. You know what I'm saying. There's one in particular right now, Morgan.
Speaker 3: I love you. But Morgan is in the program right now, and Morgan is always she's she's she's feisty and passionate, and I know it's not directed at me.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do what you did? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: It was some girl and she was It was one of the sessions and she says something out of pocket.
Speaker 5: We need to revisit this topic. This is a good one.
Speaker 1: I don't memory. We can table a baby my memory and Jack Candela like the girl left the group. The girl ended up leaving, but the girl, so we can.
Speaker 4: Do we can add to the Christmas thing, the Grinch who stole the Grinch who stole?
Speaker 3: Uh your PDP opportunity. But yeah, we just we go.
Speaker 4: We're gonna focus on opportunity, I guess. But yes, speaking of young people, we of course know on a Saturday note that, Uh, there was a really tragic shooting this past week at Brown University and it hit really close to home. I know Tiff has someone who's like a nephew to her. This at the school and my god son, I call him godson nephew.
Speaker 5: F A.
Speaker 4: Alijo attends Brown University and was right near where all the activity was taking place, heard the gunshots.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: He joins us today to talk about his.
Speaker 4: Experience at Brown before and after the shooting, which I think is important. As joins us and Nick brings him in the studio, I will just say one of my favorite things to say about Fa is he is a computer science with an engineering student, but he plays. He walks, walked onto the football team at Brown. He is not on football scholarship, he's on academic scholarship. But I love that he is multi talented and multifaceted.
Speaker 5: And just just a note for the viewing audience, I'm going to bow out of this conversation because we have some it's an ongoing investigation into this matter, and we don't have a lot of answers, and there are a lot of victims that will be represented in this matter in my firm may be involved. So I'm going to bow out just to keep the integrity of the investigation where it should be. But shout out to this young man.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows, so Fa, thank you so much much for joining us today. I know that Saturday was a crazy experience.
Speaker 3: I was very worried. Your mom was very worried.
Speaker 4: Can you talk a little bit about what you saw, what you heard in your experience?
Speaker 9: For sure, it was crazy. It's hard to put it in the words, the totality of the experience. But I was studying in the library. We call it the sidelines, the sciences library. I was studying up all the way on the thirteenth floor and this and the first thing that happened was a girl came up to the window right next to me. She peered out the window and she gasped, and then she walked away. And I didn't know what was going on because I was studying.
Speaker 11: I hadn't been on my phone or anything, so I just went back to my work. I was wondering, why did she gas? And then some more people came up and they taught me, and they were like when it was one of my friends, and she taught me and she was like, somebody, somebody got shot and I and I stood up, and at first it didn't really process it, almost like didn't sigger that much of a reaction for me, just because that's something, unfortunately that I've heard more than once before. But when I got up and I looked out the window, I saw not only I saw somebody on the ground and medical responses caring for them, but I also saw probably seven or eight police cars on the on the side of the street, so I knew it was something a little bit more serious. I texted, started texting, I texted my mom, I texted some of my closest friends, my teammates, my roommates, just to make sure they were okay. And then as I kept looking out the window, I saw I started to see people kind of running around, like police officers running around in the perimeter of the library and this area where this person was on the ground, and I and people everybody started talking about it and what we came to realize that it was an active shooter, and it was somebody who was trying to keep shooting and keep hurting more people, not just a one time incident.
Speaker 9: So as the time went on, we I saw people still running around. I didn't see anything else out the window, but as you could go around the library, I saw a Bayer Street, which is like the biggest busiest street on our campus. It was cop cars all the way up the street, literally as far as I could see. And then even that's a north south street, even on the east and west besides there was cop cars. I heard a report that they pulled in all the cop cars and Providence and then started even pulling in some from around the city just because of the searts that was going on, and they were trying to find the person. So after that, the students on the floor hour was with It was maybe twenty or twenty five of us decided to barricade the doors. We heard a report that maybe the shooter was because they were running it was running around. We heard a report that maybe they came in the bottom floor of the library. So we were still on the thirteenth floor. I didn't feel super personally threatened in that moment, but it was still good. We barricaded the doors and took our own safety precautions. After maybe an hour or an hour and a half, excuse me, we heard that the police were coming in to evacuate and search the building, the sciences library that I was in, and they were going up four by four, so I we heard that they were going up four by four, and maybe a few floors down we heard at least I heard the police yell knock on the door door, but a.
Speaker 7: Few fours down or Providence police were coming in.
Speaker 9: And so I kind of knew that, okay, they're coming up to our floor. And then maybe a few minutes later, we heard somebody excuse me. We heard somebody knock on the door, but they didn't say anything. So that caused a lot of panic in the in the room. Everyone went to the other side of the room because some people thought, okay, maybe it was they shoot it.
Speaker 7: It was coming in and trying to come up to our floor.
Speaker 9: That caused a lot of panic in the room, and that was a lot of heightened emotions in that moment. But a few maybe admitute or two later, through a different door, the police came in announced themselves Providence police, and they got us all the one side of the room, made us count off to get a head count. That thankfully let us grab our stuff for short period of time our belongings and our computer and stuff like that, and then they escorted us all the way down to the basement.
Speaker 4: EF I want to ask you really quick on just on this point, on how you all responded to this with One of the things you and I talked about before is when I was growing up, we did drills for fire and earthquake.
Speaker 3: But when even when you were in high school, you did a drill for shooting.
Speaker 4: If a shooting happens at school, was it was it remarkably different from what you learned at school. The response, the way that you responded, the way you felt in the moment, for sure it was.
Speaker 7: It was a little bit different. I think.
Speaker 9: One of the main differences that presented us, that presented itself was the location of where I was in response to the shooter. I think it would have been different if I was on the if I was on the bottom floor on the basement. Because we were on the thirteenth floor, I think it didn't feel as dangerous, I guess I could say, but I think a lot of the same things came into play, like barricading the doors. I think one thing that was different is none of us were hiding necessarily, but I had. My roommate was on the in the basement, so you walk in the library, there's no door, and just walked down some steps into the basement, and he described everybody was hiding in the basement. So I think that was one of the main differences that presented itself. But in terms of barricading the doors, and then obviously when we heard noise is coming up, those a lot of those other things came into play, and.
Speaker 6: I'm curious to know one. Thank you for sharing your experience. I remember how emotional my wife and I were when we got the notice about our kids having to first do active shooter drills. And I think the way in which Angel and I grew up at that time and at that period, because we weren't so exposed to active shooter drills being a regular part of training. It really messes with your mind when you hear about your kids or people who you're very close to having to go through that experience. One that I think you know, in an ideal scenario, you would want to protect kids from. You don't want my kids thinking about somebody coming into a classroom with a gun to you know, to take them out. But your you know, your lived experience is a little bit different than what ours was in the sense that I think you probably have, at least as far as I've been able to read, maybe two classmates who this was the second active shooter event that they had been in in their lifetimes, which means twice before they have been in this this kind of condition and scenario. And I just under psychologically for you and your peers whether or not is there a shock toa moments like this, or does it do you fully anticipate that over the course of your life and your educational experience, that this is something that you and your peers are going to have to deal with and that older folks probably like us, ought to just get over, you know, the shock and awe around active shooter drills having to be taught to our children and embrace the fact that this is kind of part of your lived experience now for your generation and maybe those coming after you. Or is there still a healthy rejection of this as an experience that you have to go through.
Speaker 7: I'm curious, for sure. I am.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of merit to that. I think that in the moment it was a shock, of course, However, it really wasn't I don't think the shock that I had was near the levels of the shot that.
Speaker 7: Maybe my parents or you all met it might have had.
Speaker 9: I think in high school we had one active shooter situation, not directly on our campus but a few blocks away. So even just that being in my lived experience before, I think I heard that it was a shooter.
Speaker 7: And I was like, wow, this is this is real.
Speaker 9: Of course, you never expected to be your school, especially a mass shooting and things. I don't want to describe the numbers, but in the moment on Saturday, we numbers were going around of casualties that were higher than what the actual number ended up being. So that was that part had a lot of shock because that's something that you never experienced, you never expect to be you even if you have heard it before. But I think the totality of the experience it was shocking, and I didn't expect it to happen for sure, but I think in my head it was just it was kind of like, oh, this is this is happening. It this is the next one that happened. It was like it's it's like it was almost like it had been enough time, it's pasted, Like where this is the next one that's going on.
Speaker 6: If that makes sense, Yeah, heartbreaking, but yes, it just makes sense.
Speaker 3: If do you feel safe for turning to school.
Speaker 7: I think that.
Speaker 9: In a month, a little over a month, I think I would feel safe returning to school.
Speaker 7: I think it's always going to be in the back of your mind.
Speaker 9: I hope that there'll be at least a little bit of added security and things like that that go on on campus. And I know that they're definitely going to be changing things that changing things past this next winter break, but I think I would feel safe. I think the safety that I felt before this incident as a big was was great. It was really strong, and I feel like I felt safe walking around campus all hours of the day, interacting with people, not not even just ground students and faculty, but interacting with people in the Providence community. I feel really safe to have not even walking around downtown and going off campus, and I feel like that isn't going to completely go away, but it will always be in the back of your mind for sure. I think I probably won't go out for as many walks and stuff like that on my own, but I think in the in the in the big picture, I'll feel safe, especially because I feel like our community there's so much you can do against somebody with a gun, but I think our community is also going to be a lot tighter and a lot stronger and willing to support each other.
Speaker 7: So I feel like that also adds to that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm so grateful that you could join us today. Means the world to me and definitely want you to feel safe. So love you, god Son, Thank you, good.
Speaker 5: Love, good luck, good luck.
Speaker 7: We're proud of you too, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Okay, Wow, I just appreciate, appreciate you tapping into your personal network and for FA being so willing to come on and share that experience. It is I you know, there's this there's a difference in generations, right because these guys have to be built to really tolerate experiences that are just you know, really beyond what I think I felt, what I know I felt, you know, elementary middle high school. That wasn't active shooter, wasn't my fear, you know, buying large hurricanes and tornado. Who were our drills? You talked about earthquakes, Angela and your experience and Florida. You know, for a lot of us, it was getting the corner, cover your head, get under your desk, you know, those sorts of things in fear of tornadoes breaking out or or or god forbid you being in a situation where hurricane conditions started to whip up. But it wasn't this kind of a situation. But each I guess, each generation has to confront these things differently, and it's gonna take me a long time before I think I accept you know, active shooter drills and that kind of thing is being regular and normal.
Speaker 4: We had like gun violence that we were worried about, but it was like drive by shootings and gang violence, but for the most part it was targeted. We lost somebody who was two years ahead of me in middle school. I think it was her freshman year in high school, but it was it was still rare, and I'm not justifying it, but it's just like we did not prepare for, Like how do you respond to a drive by or gunshots?
Speaker 3: Like we just ran.
Speaker 4: That's what we learned to run. But yeah, I just I wish that this did not happen to fa I was telling I camera, if I was telling y'all, I don't think I told y'all this, But I was saying to my mom the other day that earlier this year, when he was starting at Brown, I was like, man, I really wanted you to go to Howard. I hate like't he didn't get enough scholarship money basically at Howard, and Brown covered his tuition for the most part. And I was like, well, it must have been God because now they got to National Guard and Ice outside of Howard.
Speaker 3: So we would have been so panicked. We would have been so worried.
Speaker 4: You know, like I would have had tip combined to swoop you up right, like we would have been trying to move completely different. And then when this happened, I was like, what am Where is he safe?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: And I can't imagine the number of parents and aunties and godparents and grandparents who were asking this question all the time about their elementary school students, their middle school students, their high school students and now college too, and it's just it's just it's remarkable. I cannot imagine, like the young man who wanted to become a brain surgeon because he had brain surgery, losing his life on this campus his freshman year.
Speaker 3: It's just it's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: So thank you all for carving out the time for that and hopefully we can figure out what gun safety really looks like in this country.
Speaker 1: All right, every week we ask you guys to submit your viewer questions comments. We love to hear from you, and we say welcome home. It's with intention. So before we get out of the show this week, we want to hear from you what's on your mind. Let's hear from a viewer.
Speaker 10: My name is a Ken and I'm from Atlanta. The term patriotism is a scam. Every time the government labels people as unpatriotic, it's because critical thinking has prevented those people from accepting a lie. The people against the wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan and were labeled unpatriotic. All those wars were based on lies. Let's be real. The American government has been aligned to the American people since July fourth, seventeen seventy six. In seventeen seventy six, the American people were told to go west for free land. But that land wasn't free. It came at the cost of the genocide of the natives living on that land. I would like to hear more troops like this from the tunnel.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: He sounds like you ready to join the panel. I don't have anything that had no. No, great, no, no, you got to roll another one.
Speaker 1: Thank yeah, Thank you, Ken, And I echo everything he said. In terms of patriotism, I kind of feel like we talked about this a bit earlier and we were talking about evangelicals. A lot of these terms are rooted in what white conservatives think, how they define patriotism. They would rather have somebody who's an accused trader, somebody who had.
Speaker 2: Hostile leaders of a hostile.
Speaker 1: Nation in the Oval Office leaking American intelligence to Kisleyak from Russia in the Oval Office, and this is the person who they call their patriots. So, Kim, we couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for taking the time to send us a video.
Speaker 6: I do accept the challenge that I think he threw down, which is to interrogate intensely everything that we hear from our government and frankly that we hear in society. I think said, I think that's a fair challenge, not to take things that sort of window window dressing and face value that we interrogated.
Speaker 3: I agree Lolo said this was our mini PI.
Speaker 1: Basically, but We do have a mini pot coming out this week, so be sure you check that out on Friday.
Speaker 2: But let's get the call to action. Who's kicking us off?
Speaker 12: Who cares about truth when the laws more than say it.
Speaker 5: I got a call called at I think I'm stealing what Angela said. Spend some time, and I talked to a guy in the in the airport. He ran me down in the airport. No, he didn't think I was Andrew Gillen, but he actually ran me down in the airport and he said he was talking to me about how he's encouraging his family to teach about civil rights. And I think that we need to spend some time celebrating Kwanza. And the reason we need to celebrate Kwansa is not to be militant, not to go through this exercise of necessarily just trying to be different for the sake of being different. And please God, don't do it just to post on Instagram. But the just the the the very fundamental tenets of Kwansa teach us what Angela was talking about, which is to love yourself. And I think that the com except of community, the concept of loving yourself are all encapsulated in quansa. And so while we're saying Happy Hanukkah, and while we're saying Merry Christmas, I also want to say Happy Kwanza to those who celebrate. And if you don't, it's worth just picking up a book and reading about it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Ay, I like it. I'll go next.
Speaker 4: Since I got tag teamed in here, I found out about this site. It's not updated for this year.
Speaker 5: No, you should look at it on your private browser though, because you don't want people to.
Speaker 6: Speak whatsite to tell you.
Speaker 3: Renee blew it renee blew It.
Speaker 4: Started this concept called she Did That, and the tagline says, when black women own businesses, when we all win. So I started going, like looking through this site, and she has this whole gift guide that she created for the holidays last year, and it's it was a twenty twenty four guide, but tif when I tell you, there are some incredible hats and ear rings and head reps and games and shoes and food and art, like I mean, she has all of the things. That's seventy five black women owned businesses and she did it also in twenty twenty one, but twenty twenty four as the latest I did click on a number of the sites to see if they're still active. When I tell you I'm about to burn a hole in my pocket, I don't need but I want you all to please consider it's called she did that dot co, not dot com.
Speaker 3: She did that dot co.
Speaker 4: But shout out to the sister for taking the time to hand pick and curate these incredible businesses.
Speaker 3: Paper goods. Wellness. You know, I can't wait to get.
Speaker 6: To the bun bag.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's good, that's stuff.
Speaker 2: We should get some stuff to wear, like when we go to Detroit.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, that's true.
Speaker 5: You know what you know we need to do? Get back to This is random but nothing, but we need to get back to. Uh remember when Ebany used to have all of the scholarships in the Is it anywhere?
Speaker 3: Did you freeze or.
Speaker 2: FROs Jesus Lord, help help for Macary?
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep, yip yip gip just hushed.
Speaker 1: Okay, Andrew, give to you hopefully McCary Andrew call to action.
Speaker 6: I just the holidays is coming up. Everybody get out a little bit more time on their hands. I just encourage folks to spend time as best you can with family. The ones you're born into, but also the ones that you select. It doesn't it doesn't require a whole bunch You don't need a whole bunch of money, a whole bunch of much of anything to carve out that time to spend with those folks. Because when the cars come crashing in or you're at your moment of desperation or uh, you just want to be with the people who love you or or or or ride with you just because you're you just the time to pay it forward into those relationships so that your time of crisis isn't the first time that they didn't heard from you in a minute that you've paid some of that forward in don't do it for that intention. I'm just simply saying, think about the people who are your roight or dies and pouring some time into that relationship while we can this holiday season.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'll go last, and I'm being disobedient as you guys are going through your ccas, I was like, I don't know if I to do this or not, but I'm going to My publisher will probably kill me. But because we were talking about loving ourselves, I want to tell everyone that for the past I think year and a half, maybe two years. I have been consumed with writing from sun up to sundown. That's all I've been doing is writing. And so I want to tell everybody my book will be available for sale on January first, and it is rooted yes, loving yourself. They told me not to say anything. They're like, we'll make me an thouncen in January. But I love that we were talking about this. It seems right on time. It is rooted in loving ourselves. It is a snapshot of everything black women are seeing, experiencing, and feeling right now in this era of American rock. It is not just about politics, although I include politics. It's not just about policy, although I talk about that, but it is about our personhood, our humanity, our love, our sisterhood. Angela's in the book, but Car is in the book, Andrew's in the book. But it really is a comprehensive, holistic look. And so I hope on January first that people will find it. Well, that's when you'll hear the title and see the book cover. So my publishers won't be too upset that I said this today. Yes, I'm very very excited. Angela does not know, but she's gonna be on my book tour with me somewhere I'm pulling. Yes, we'll be in conversation somewhere. I have an idea where I want us to be, but we'll talk about it next year. So anyway, I beg you all on January first. I'll tell you how you can find the book and all that, but it is support our She been working hard, yes, bleeding on the pages.
Speaker 6: So I give order you let me know.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if RJ told you, but I was texting her yesterday because.
Speaker 6: I want so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, good, I want us to do something.
Speaker 6: When we were discussing the cities.
Speaker 2: Oh good, okay, good, you're good.
Speaker 6: You're discussed trying to.
Speaker 2: God our other call action.
Speaker 1: I would just say, we would ask our brethren out there to please pray for Bacari and his WiFi situation.
Speaker 3: Please, in the name of Jesus, the work, the Blood, the blood.
Speaker 1: Every week, my mama, we ask you the name of Jesus, please get this man.
Speaker 4: He blew off a dial up in twenty twenty five. Oh God, let him stop freezing. Oh God, let him stop cutting on our comments and just being doing the robottle gods the devil.
Speaker 3: In the name of Jesus.
Speaker 6: Hiyy oh Jesus. All right about, you're playing with God and I got we're not.
Speaker 4: Playing with Bacari because he's playing with us in Jesus Mighty names.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 9: Amen.
Speaker 1: And on that note, if you liked this episode, please please please tell a friend, share it, support it. We tried to get to a lot of your viewer questions and comments. Please keep those coming. If we don't get to it this week, it will be gotten to at a future date. But don't stop listening to No, please don't stop weighing in because we love to have you participate and again, share this show, Subscribe, tell a friend. That's what we're here for, and we want to remind you to also review, rate, subscribe, drop in our group chat at our website that you can find us our digital group chat where you can find more information about the show on what's coming up next. If you're looking for more shows like a ours, you can check out other shows on Recent Choice Media. We got politics with our girl, Jamil Hill. That's who we'll be in Detroit with. We'll talk about that another time. I'm off the Cup with se Cup. And now you know with Noah Debarasso. Be sure to give those a follow and jamel I remember she actually talked about some of the topics that we talked about today, so she has a whole different take on it, so definitely be sure to check her out and subscribe to our text and email list of Native lampod dot com. We are your co Hosts'm Tiffany Cross here with Angela Rai, Andrew Gillim and Bacari was here and Absentia and Absentia we honored Bacari if midterm elections actually happened. There are three hundred and twenty days until midterm elections.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys tuning in, Welcome.
Speaker 12: Welcome home to the Natives landing on the podcast face that's a for greatness.
Speaker 5: Sixty minutes is so hit, not too long for.
Speaker 12: The grave shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digested. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 5: So get invested.
Speaker 12: Across the t's and doctor IDs, kill them, got them as sellers, staying on business or why you could have been anywhere, but you trust us. Native lamb Pod is a brand that you could trust.
Speaker 1: Yes, Native Landpod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.