Speaker 1: Now Here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast, George Nori with you. Mark Hartzman is one of America's leading connoisseurs of the strange and bizarre, and has written books about sideshow performers, Oliver Cromwell's Head, Weird Things on eBay, and Unorthodox Messages from the Man Upstairs. Artsman's work has also appeared in Mental Floss, Bizarre and other publications, and he has been a featured speaker at various events including Explorer Mars, Humans to Mars Summit in Washington, d C. The Cody Island Congress of Curious People, New York's Comic Con, the Exeter UFO Festival, and the Brooklyn Historical Society. Some of his books include The Big Book of Mars, The Bomb Ahead of Oliver Cromwell, a memoir Chasing Ghosts, and We Are Not Alone. Mark, Welcome back to the program. Have you been good?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on, George.
Speaker 2: How how did you get involved in the strange the bizarre.
Speaker 3: I've always loved the strange and bizarre since I was a kid. I really got into it. You mentioned sideshow in my book American Side Show, and that's kind of where my love really began for I think all things strange, most notably with the world's tallest man ever, Robert Widlow, who I was fascinated with when I was a kid. He was eight foot eleven and a half inches tall, which was just kind of mind blowing that the human could be that tall. It's just the most giants of giants that we've ever known. So I was fascinated by him, and I saw the movie The Elephant Man, probably at too young of an age, and that really stuck with me. It's a pretty amazing movie, The Life of Joseph Merrick, so that that also kind of, I think, really pulled me into the things, all things strange and bizarre.
Speaker 2: Back in nineteen seventy four, I was a television producer in Detroit. They used to call me Captain Bizarre because I would pick many of the same stories you like and put them in my newscast. I mean, because remember those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, How can you not.
Speaker 2: Exactly tell us a little bit about the head of Oliver Cromwell.
Speaker 3: Well this, as you mentioned, I wrote a book called The Embalm Head of Oliver Cromwell of Memoir. So Cromwell was the Lord Protector of England, Ireland and Scotland in the mid sixteen hundreds. So he's the guy who led the charge to have Charles the First beheaded. So that put an end to the monarchy in sixteen forty nine, and Cromwell took over, and then he died in sixteen fifty eight and he was embalmed and then buried in Westminster Abbey, and then his son took over, but then he abdicated the Lord Protector Lord Protectorate, and Charles the Second resumed the monarchy. That's why we have a monarchy against today, and that's why we have Charles the Third now. But he was pretty angry about his dad being beheaded, so he exumed the body of Oliver Cromwell and he hanged it posthumously, and then he beheaded that embald head and he put it the top Withyminster Hall on a spike to deter anyone else from trying to commit regicide. And it stayed there for twenty five years, and then eventually a storm came and broke that steak in half, and it fell to the ground and someone picked it up and took it home, and the head then traveled around, passing through different hands for another two hundred and seventy five years until it was finally reburied in nineteen sixty. So the head traveled for three hundred years, which just I find to be an amazing story that some balm hedge just being passed around and shown the people, and people are studying it and questioning whether or not it's authentic. And so I wrote that whole story, covering the three hundred years of it, of its post life travels, and all told from the perspective of Cromwell's head.
Speaker 2: Did it decay at all?
Speaker 3: I mean it did, yeah, but it's still retained some features. There's a by the time, you know, you had photography coming around towards sort of the latter part of about three hundred years. There are some amazing photos from the nineteen thirties of a couple of scientists who are studying it. And you still see the whiskers, you can still see some of those swarts, you know, the warts and all with Oliver Cromwell. So it retained a few features. But yeah, I mean it was it didn't look great, but you know, you could still see that was the head of a former world leader today. So it's buried at Sydney Sussex College and Cambridge and the Anti Chapel there, but it's not known exactly where. So there's a plaque within the Anti Chapel that says that the head is buried within that space, but no one knows the exact positioning.
Speaker 2: Now, tell me about your work about the flat Earth.
Speaker 3: So this is just something recent I wrote about. So I do a website called weird Historian dot com, and that's a place for me to put all these kind of fun, weird stories. And what I love to do is just research some weird, weird topics and see what I dig up. And a lot of times that's going through different newspaper archives and see what pops up when I put in some strange keywords. So I looked up flat earth to see what people were saying about this, you know, from years in the past. So I found this story from nineteen twenty one of a religious leader who was running a school in Illinois, and his name was Wilburt Glenn Beliva, and he was preaching at least for ten years in this school system that the earth was flat. And this was the thousands of grade schoolers and high schoolers, and he was just convinced that this was the way, and he thought it was completely flat. I mean, this is, you know, like like all the flat Earthers, I think pretty much ascribed to the same beliefs. It was, you know, flat, the north poles in the center, there's no South pole, and then there's just a wall of ice that kind of prevents sailors from falling off at the rim of the Earth, that they go too far, kind of like the Antarctic going all around the Earth. And to me, it sounds like the Game of Thrones wall of ice, you know, the night Watch. But this was what the students were taught, and they were told that the flat Earth remained stationary in space, was just sitting there, and the Sun is revolving around us in sort of a spiral fashion, and that the Sun is opposed to being about ninety three million miles away as we know now, he said, the Sun was more like just a few miles away, not that far at all, And in terms of its size, it was much smaller, considerably smaller than we know it to be. So again, just taking perspective from a different perspective. On perspective, I guess you could say.
Speaker 2: Where do you find these stories? Mark?
Speaker 3: So I love going through newspaper archives, you know, and you just type in typing keywords and you never know what pops up. I mean, that's actually what what led me to write my Mars book, The Big Book of Mars, was stumbling across the story about the Martian Woman. Again, you don't know what you're going to find when you pop these things in, and then you kind of find yourself going down these rabbit holes like what is this about, and digging into it deeper and deeper.
Speaker 2: Ironically, one of your books, it's called We Are Not Alone, which is a similar title to the late New York Times science writer Walter Sullivan, who wrote a book back in the sixties, same kind of title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same title. Actually I picked up after the book came out. I picked up a paperback of that book. But yeah, I mean, I love the UFO phenomena. It's another one I've been fascinated by since I was a kid, and I love digging into that whole story. It was just just ruled UFO the A couple days ago, Dueen twenty fourth when Kenneth Arnold saw the first nine discs over Mount Rainier in Washington and they became termed flying saucers. That's when that term was coined. So the book really covers off on the history of UFOs and were human experience, mostly beginning with the forties. It does dip back into some thoughts about ancient history, but mostly starting with like that era of the forties with the Kenneth Arnold's flying saucers, the food fighters of the earlier forties in World War Two, and then gets into just different eras you know, the nineteen fifties you had the contact Ese, this group of people that believed that they were in contact with different people from space, mainly mostly Nusians, but people from other plants in the Solar system as well. I'm kind of preaching a message of peace and concern about the atomication we had entered into. And then you get into more abductions in the sixties and seventies and continuing into the eighties of course and even today, and then so covers up all these different stories, but also takes a scientific perspective on the idea of extraterrestrial life and pursuits to discover extraterrestrial life, and then gets into more of the recent findings, particularly in the last you know, twenty twenty five years or so, all the news that's been out lately with the tic tac UFOs and these different science from Navy pilots. So it covers a really broad range of the UFO experience.
Speaker 2: In about a week and a half, we're coming up on seventy seven years since the Roswell episode.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, yeah, just other same story.
Speaker 2: Now tell us about the strange case of the man who tried to contact Martians with the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this was the one I just kind of alluded to before, which is one of my favorite stories, and it is a story that really got me into writing all about Mars. So this was nineteen twenty six and he was a London lawyer who claimed that he was in telepathic communication with a Martian woman named Umaruu I.
Speaker 1: Love the name.
Speaker 3: And they were having these telepathic conversations and he's learning about life on Mars. How they're much taller than we are. They have a you know, one third gravity, so they're growing taller, seven eight nine feet tall. Umaru had big ears, Paul Hair. They had airships that they could fly in. They were peaceful, they drank tea, they smoked pipe, they had electrified fruit, you know, all these wonderful things that were going on on Mars. He's subscribing to people, and so in nineteen twenty six, Mars was in opposition to Earth, which means it was its closest point in its orbit about thirty five million miles. So he decided to try to send a telegram to the Martians. He worked us out with Umar Raru that their Martian scientists would be ready to receive the message from Earth. And so he worked with the Rugby Radio Tower in London, which was the world's tallest, most powerful radio tower in the world at that time, and they were connected with the Post Office, so the Post Office charged him their long distance rates, which I think was kind of funny, and I think they were able to promote that idea to get pressed about what they were doing. And he sent this message to Mars and fully expected a response, and this was covered by newspapers around the world like this was ended up being a pretty big story, and of course he didn't get any message back, and he tried it again two years later because Mars was not positioned about every two years or so. So he tried it again and of course again received nothing in response. And he said that umar Aru said that the Martian scientists were laughing at us because we were unable to received their messages, because we were not advanced enough to get the Martian messages back. So it was our fault that we weren't getting from the Martians.
Speaker 2: Now, what's this bizarre story about Kennedy versus Nixon back in sixty and a UFO spaceman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So I mentioned in the book We Are Not Alone that I covered a bunch of the contact ees. So one of them that I found especially interesting was a man named Gabriel Green and he ran for president in nineteen sixty and of course we all know that was the year Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon. But he was on the he was running for a short time and he was told basically by spacemen that he should run. He had met he had seen lots of space ships. He was actually based in the LA area, and he was a saucer club and had met some of them at one of the conventions, and of course he said they looked just like earthlings. And they urged him to run on the Space ticket. And he had had all these, you know, wonderful promises. I mean the kinds of things that you'd want any candidate to promise, right, So he he promised unlimited education for everybody, better housing and highways, better jobs, better wages. You know. He said that every man would be a rich man tomorrow. And he had this idea of a world up tomorrow today in utopia now. And he had this I have it on my website. It's also in the book We Are Not Alone. This amazing ad that random newspaper American needs a Space age president, and it goes through these wonderful promises he has that the Space people will help him bring to life. As of course, you know that that didn't really go anywhere. He eventually fell off of a ticket and he backed out. He didn't have enough support, but he did end up he said the Space people urged him to back Kennedy, which I think is you know, was nice because of course Kennedy did get the space program going and obviously got to the Moon. So you know, in the end, you know, we got we got somewhere with space with Gabriel Green support of Kennedy.
Speaker 2: At least I'll always remember Kennedy's moon speech.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a wonderful speech.
Speaker 2: Wonderful person.
Speaker 3: We choose the moon.
Speaker 2: Now what about the Great Airship Flap of the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was another really interesting story. I originally I wrote this for We Are Not Alone, and we ended up cutting this just because we.
Speaker 1: Had to edit.
Speaker 3: I had way too much material. But I found this to be really a fascinating lip the in the UFO phenomena. So this was the Great Airship Flap of eighteen ninety six and eighteen ninety seven, and it started in the fall of eighteen ninety six with these different aircraft airship sightings off the coast of California, and people were just seeing these these weird airships going across the skies and oftentimes you know, seeing people on them. They had different propellers. And again this was this was about three years before the first Zuppelin appeared, you know, and several years before obviously the Wright brothers had their first flight. That wasn't until nineteen oh three. So really the only thing flying was with hot air balloons at that time, and they wore people kind of working on some rudimentary aircraft at that time, but nothing that was like it was just gonna be traveling the sky, you know, calmly, seemingly.
Speaker 2: We didn't have the Hindenburg then, did we No?
Speaker 3: I mean, so it's just a what was going on, you know, And so this was being reported in newspapers across California. I have a great illustration of one of them from one of the headlines from eighteen ninety six on my Weird Historian site. You'll see the spacecraft with its weird propellers over over California. And so people were reporting on this and having different theories about it, and then it's just spread across the country into up to around April or May of eighteen ninety seven. People were just seeing these things all over the country, and no one really had an explanation for where they came from or who they were. And this was before we had the language of like UFOs or flying saucers any of that stuff. So people were just describing as these weird airships. And there was one really particularly interesting case in Texas and a werea Texas where one of them crashed.
Speaker 2: Classic case too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this was one where they said it was piloted by a Martian. So this was the other cases they han't talked about aliens or anything like that, but this one did. And it's interesting because again this is about April of eighteen ninety seven, so at that time there was a lot of talk about intelligent life on Mars. I know, we just talked about that case in nineteen twenty six, but this has been going on since the about eighteen seventy seven when Giovanni Schiaparelli, and Italian astronomer, thought that he saw line, he saw lines on Mars, and they were misinterpreted as canals. He called them canale, which is channeled. They got misinterpreted canals, and you have people saying that, oh my god, there's these giant Martians building canals all across Mars. They must be brilliant engineers. So the idea of martians was becoming more and more prevalence and written about in the newspapers and discussed by, you know, legitimate scientists. So this idea that maybe a Martian had piloted one of these airships and crash didn't didn't seem that crazy. This was stuff that was being talked about quite a bit at that time. Of course, a lot of this was ended up being told later by a historian who lived through this, like in nineteen seventy she came out said all this stuff was just written up by the local paper to kind of drum up tourism and some you know, economic benefits for the city because it was just a small town in Texas. But a lot of people believe that the Martian is still buried there today. So it's a pretty fascinating case. What I love about that is it's exactly fifty years before Roswell that you have this case of the UFO crashing and the town then having this economic boom around that whole story. And that's like a small microcosts before rosweld is and became in nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 2: There are you're right, there are reports at this means this dead et is buried in Aurora, Texas somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just in the grave guard And I know that people from moufon the which at the time that's happened were the Midwest UFO network. They were investigating it and tried to get down there and wanted to exhume the body. And I think they were not allowed to exhume the body to see what the story was.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more