Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one ninety four, What's Right with Nick Wright? And this episode is brought to you by the McDonald's app. I love the McDonald's app, specifically for mc delivery. It's perfect for any situation. Say it's pouring down rain, you don't want to go out to go get a mcdoubel boom MC delivery. Say your team playing and you of course don't want to miss a single second. That's what mcdelivery's for. Let's say it's been a long day. What better way to fix that than a delicious quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry delivered. Write to you. I love to order McDelivery when I'm watching a game or maybe playing a game with my daughter and don't want to leave the house. And now every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food. And who doesn't like free food? So there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today At participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than at restaurants. Delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three McDonald's. All right, welcome in big show for us today. It's our gambling show as promised. Just like last year, right around week ten, right around Thanksgiving, I have turned my season around. I believe I am right at five hundred. I might be one game below five hundred, but regardless, we feel great about where I am. I am also disappointed in Demonse's teasers, but not for the reason that people think. I'm not disappointed that Demonse has gotten eight teasers in a row. Wrong. That's not what's disappointing. What's disappointing Demonse is that week two you got it right, because had you like being one and nine just sucks being zero to ten, we could have turned it into a bit. We might have gotten some like a little internet traction like this sports betting expert can't hit a teaser save his life. The win in week two is what is right now the fly in the ointment. But I haven't looked at it yet. I mean, well at this point, yeah, but it's just not as fun. The fact that you have that one win mixed in and the win came early enough.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, was the last win made it to where no, you could.
Speaker 2: Still be five hundred. I mean, there's eighteen week regular season, so all you got to do is go from losing eight in a row to winning eight in a row and you'll be right there. And by the way, I haven't looked at the teaser yet this week, but producer Danegel said he loves it, and so we'll see. All right, So let's get to what missed the cut for today's show. Lebron passing, Jason Kidding triple doubles. Listen, last year, the oldest guy in the league was Janis Haslam, who was essentially a coach who didn't play this year. The oldest guy in the league is Lebron James, who is still unequivocally one of the seven or eight best players in the league. I don't even know how to quantify what we're seeing, but the Lakers did lose. A d had a brutal night. He put up the true Draymond a triple single, which you never want to do. Celtics beat the seventy six Ers. The big win for your Celtics, Demanse. Nice win for them, especially because the Sixers had beaten them the other day and now the Celtics kind of stabilized and they did it without I'll be honest, I didn't watch that game. They did it without Christaps or Jail and Brown, right, and so that's an excellent win for them. They're number one of these right now. And Travis Kelsey and Taylor Swift's parents are gonna meet at Monday night football. Taylor's dad famously an Eagles fan, but was wearing a Chief's lanyard at the Buenos Ardes concert along with Travis Kelcey when Taylor ran and leapt into his arms. It's gonna be I mean, it's gonna be something else, you know what. I'll tell you something real quick. So your mom, oh wait, gosh, darn it, maybe I shouldn't hold on, let me wait to talk about this. It's not actually a bad thing about your mom. It's about a thing your mom and I are doing that. I was considering inviting Travis Kelcey to and then it occurred to me. I was like, if I invited Travis and he actually came, would he would that then mean Taylor Swift is going, which actually I think would potentially be as cool as it would be a bad thing. Like if Taylor Swift goes anywhere, she becomes the center of attention and the exact event that I'm thinking of, I'm not sure if you would want that, but that's where they're at in their relationship. Tomanse, I think these two are gonna get married. I really do. I think these two are gonna get married. And I think Gabe said I think this was off the air, but I'll do it on the air real quick. I think Gabe last week was said that he thought this might shorten Travis's career because he is well of ascended to a totally new level of fame, wealth, all of these things. I'm going the other way, which is I really think it would appear Taylor Swift loves that her boyfriend is this awesome athlete. You know. Kevin Wilde says life is high school, that just life is just high school with adults, and his theory on Taylor Swift Travis Kelcey is the following, and it's a pretty sharp one. It's that in high school, Taylor Swift was the band girl, the music girl who obviously had you know her because she was pretty. She was a pretty well established musician, very young, had her own area of popularity. But still in high school, the star athletes don't really pay attention to the band kids. And now she is now the star athlete, the homecoming king, if you will. Is he enamored with her and she is getting to live out all those high school football games that maybe she didn't get to live out when she was in high school. So I think he's gonna play forever. Now go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, No, I was just saying, it's almost like I think I was gonna use a bad analogy, so I'm going to back out saying like, maybe okay, good body as a kid and like liveously through them. But oh yeah, no, that's I mean that it's it's exactly like it's kind of hit or missing.
Speaker 2: It's not exactly, but I understand what you're saying, like in this, in that analogy, it was I mean all I mean, I kind of not in a bad way the way some people do, but I kind of did that with you when it came to your high school basketball career because I loved I know you, I know you weren't no no, no, because usually it kind of has nefarious implications. But I loved high school basketball. It's some of the fondest memories of my life. But I wasn't great, you know what I mean. I was I was on a small school, bad team, and I was like the fifth guy my senior year on that bad team. You went to a giant school and were the best guy, and so I got it was super fun for me to be able to see you live that out and kind of I don't want to say live vicariously, but I got some of the same thrills of seeing you do it. Uh what. There was Oh one other thing on this before we get to the actual show that I will say, it's always dangerous in the age of social media when you get to a whole new level of fame, and people start going through old tweets, and especially if you've had tweets from when you were in high school yourself, and it has been absolutely delightful to see that Travis has always been the same, super chill, fun guy. All these old tweets that the swiftnies are coming about is like him misspelling the word squirrel and talking about feeding a squirrel bread. It's him saying, man, the moon looks amazing. I'm just gonna vibe out and watch the moon. It's no misogyny, it's no homophobia, it's no racism. It's not like, oh, Travis Kelcey in ninth grade it was super problematic. It's no Travis Kelcey in ninth grade was crazy high, just chilling.
Speaker 4: And it's just such a delight because he's such a good dude that he doesn't have to It really feels like right now he is living the best verse, the best life he possibly could be.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to Chiefs Eagles.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, All right, the Eagles are coming to Kansas City for a little Super Bowl rematch. Got unfinished business? Uh so, if this is a potential Super Bowl rematch, should Andy Reid and the Chiefs keep some tricks under their sleeve or should they let it all out?
Speaker 2: Well, so that's actually a really interesting question, which is do you want to keep some things in reserve if you have to play this team again? And the answer to that question is, you know, yes and no. I for instance, there has been a lot of I'm gonna take this kind of bigger picture and then we'll get to the Eagles game. A lot of questions about the usage of two Chief players in particular, who were wildly important last year and this year have seen their snaps and their opportunities cut. And that's Kadarius Tony and Jeric McKinnon. And I am of and this is by the way, very polarizing within kind of the Chief's community, if you will, about what's happening. Did McKinnon get old? Is Tony just not as good as people thought he was? All these things? I am strongly of the belief that the Chiefs know with Tony he cannot stay healthy for an entire season. That has been the knock on him his whole pro career. And McKinnon is a running back into his thirties. I want, I mean, how old is Jet McKinnon. I'm gonna check for it. I think he's He's thirty two, which for a running back, or thirty one, pardon me for running back, makes him one of the older running backs the league. Tony's very young, but injury prone. Jeric McKinnon, who had the nine touchdown catches as a running back last year. He's really good. So I believe the Chiefs are not necessarily like saving plays, but saving wear and tear on those two players specifically. I think that they are really trying to make sure those guys are give them the best chance they have of being healthy going into the or going into the stretched run. Now, now, when it comes to playing the Eagles, I wouldn't hold anything reserve in reserve, with one exception if by some chance, and the odds of this being the case are incredibly low, but if by some chance, Steve Spagnolo, the Chiefs defensive coordinator, has figured out how to stop the brotherly shove, I wouldn't show the world that I figured that out yet. If somehow he is actually like they have realized, wait, there is a way to stop it. Here's what we do, I would keep that in reserve. But other than that you try to go win this football game because you are in such an advantageous position for being able to get the one seed that the big story from a Chiefs perspective this weekend was the Chiefs hit a five team parlay on best case scenario losses. So the Dolphins didn't play. They lead the AFC East, but the last time they did play, the Chiefs meet them. But this weekend without playing, the AFC North leader Ravens lost, the AFC South leader Jaguars lost, a team that has given the Chiefs some trouble. The Bengals lost, a team that a lot of people thought was going to this was going to be the year. The Bills they lost and fired their coordinator, and a team that I have no fear of whatsoever, but is in the division and theoretically could try to run down the Chiefs for the division title. The Chargers they lost. So all of the teams the Chiefs would have wanted to lose this weekend lost, and so their ability to lock up the one seed earlier than expected is very possible. Now, if you're going to lose a game, you always want to lose non conference games rather than conference games. But beating Philly off the buy would send a signal to the rest of the league that a lot of the hand ringing about the Chiefs was overstated. And one other kind of long term prediction when you look at the schedule, I think, so Week seventeen, second to last week of the year, on New Year's Eve, the Bengals come to Arrowhead, also known if you're a Cincinnati fan as Burrowhead Stadium. I think two things are gonna happen in that nationally televised one of the games of the year, demanse. I think the Chiefs will lock up the one seed with a week to play, and I think the Bengals will be officially eliminated from the playoffs. I think with a week left. Because the Bengals, when we'll talk about them in a moment, they lose tonight, they fall to five and five, they damn they don't have to quite run the table. They probably have to go to six and one the rest of the way. I think that is going to be the final Burrowhead Stadium revenge is the Chiefs not eliminating them from the playoffs while locking up the one seed. On December thirty, first and Week seventeen. You have a follow up here de Manse.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I mean I feel like you kind of answered it. But this game Mahomes is obvious. You said the Mahomes has never lost to meaningful regular season game. With everything riding on this one and and being at home, and you know it being the Eagles, who they played in the super Bowl last year, would this be a meaningful game?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to say so. People I think have misconstrued what I'm saying by never lost a meaningful regular season game. It's to me it's a very binary question. Did losing this game cost you anything? And if for the Chiefs, they every single playoff game has been played at Arrowhead, they've either been the one or the two seed every year, you can make the strong argument that all of their regular season losses have been relatively speaking, meaningless because they still achieved everything you can achieve in a regular season. If the Chiefs end up losing this game and still being the one seed, you can't you can't get more than the one seed. So from that perspective, I would say I am saying meaningless. From a mojo or confidence or belief perspective, if you were to play this team again in the Super Bowl. You could say it's meaningful. There, go ahead, what what were you gonna say?
Speaker 3: No? I was just gonna say how much is confidence worth to you? Because I mean when players like I know that after I'm not going to bring it back to Game one of the season anymore. This last time fine, But when they lost the Lions, Mahomes had said obviously this didn't matter because they won the next game. But Mahomes is embarrassed. I don't think I've ever heard him say anything.
Speaker 2: Well, embarrassed different. Embarrassed is different than not confident. So I think confidence matters a lot for certain teams. I think the Bills confidence has been shattered and you're seeing it manifest itself in moments such as literally not being able to execute a handoff. I mean that fumble they have on Monday Night. They lack of confidence in the coaching seft to where they're firing offensive coordinators. I think the Chiefs, because they have had a nearly unprecedented run of success, are as confident as any team in the league no matter what happens. And I'll say we're talking confidence, I'll say this much. Let me put it like this, I think this game is way more meaningful for Philadelphia because if you're Philadelphia and you look at it and you say, Okay, we basically never lose when Jalen Hurts plays, except for the two times we've played the Chiefs, and we're trying to get back to the super Bowl, and the overwhelming favorite to be in the super Bowl on the other side is the Chiefs. So I think from a confidence perspective, this game has a hell of a lot more meaning for Philadelphia. All right, next, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so this is the best Thursday night game that we've had all year, I assume, So the Ravens, I mean, if.
Speaker 2: You don't count the season opener, that's right. I mean, the season opener is not a season over the Chiefs Lions. But oh yeah, but that doesn't really feel like a Thursday night game because it's not a short week and all that stuff. But yes, I agree with certainly the best since then.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, So Borrow and the Bengals are facing off Lamar and the Ravens. You've always voiced the Cincinnati Bengals are the scarier team. So who would you be rooting for in this game? Would you be rooting for a Ravens win, since he win, because everybody's saying the Ravens are the scariest teams of the Chiefs right now.
Speaker 2: Well, so I I'm rooting for Cincinnati purely from a I want the Chiefs to be able to lock up the one seed as early as possible. And Cincinnati is not a real contender for the one seed. The Ravens technically are. And if the Ravens got another af SEE loss, then the Chiefs would be in just a super advantageous position. If the Ravens dropped to four losses all AFC losses, Kansas City would have a de facto tiebreaker over them. They already have the tiebreaker over Miami, they already have the tiebreaker over Jacksonville, to where you'd now be in a point where if any of those teams had the same record as Kansas City, Kansas City would get the one I don't so I get in that regard. I'm somewhat rooting for the Ravens from a kind of more pragmatic standpoint. From an emotional standpoint, I didn't. I haven't liked the arrogance that some of the Bengals players and fans have exhibited because they beat Patrick Mahomes in overtime once and the Borough Stadium stuff has really irritated me. And if you remember Orlando Brown, he goes from Kansas City to Cincinnati and then I don't know if it was Jamar Chase or t Higgins or Tyler Boyd one of the receivers like, oh, you know, there's a big rivalry and we one up them. And now all the Bengals fans are upset with the Orlando Brown because he hasn't played that well. I like Burrow and Chase a ton. I think some of the other guys chirp a little a little much for my liking, but that's fine. I also, I also think it would be really interesting if the Bengals and the Bills both missed the playoffs this year, because it will kind of crystallize how impossible what Kansas City is doing has been that these two guys that were supposed to be the rivals, they can't even make the playoffs every year, let alone make multiple Super Bowls, let alone you know, host multiple conference championship games. But who I'm rooting for is maybe not as important as this. I think the Ravens are gonna win I think the Bengals are hanged up. The Ravens are coming off a terrible loss because they gave the game away, and I think the Ravens are gonna win now them up, well, that would be the concern. That would be that the Bengals can't block the Ravens. And obviously that was the case in their first matchup. But the first matchup, Joe Burrow's injured, so we kind of throw it out right. It was week two. Burrow couldn't move around at all. Now the Ravens Marlin Humphrey is not expected to play, so covering Chase is gonna be a problem. But if you can't block him, then covering him is not as you know what I mean, not as critical of a piece of the pie. And so here's what I will say. I think if the Bengals lose this game, they're done. I ain't the If you look at Cincinnati, the only team they would have a tiebreaker over is Buffalo because they would have been swept by the Ravens. They've already lost to the Browns once, so their best case scenario within the division would be a three to three divisional record if they win all the rest of their games, all of their losses are AFC losses, and the rest of the way they don't have a single Cupcake on the schedule. After tonight, they have the Steelers, They're in Jacksonville. They're home for the Colts, which is supposed to be the easiest, but the Colts have five wins. They're home for the Vikings, which seemed like an easy one, but the Vikings do have six wins. Then they're at the Steelers, at the Chiefs, and home for the Browns. A Browns team that year after year beats them up. If they fall to five and five Demons, they need to go six and one the rest of the way. I don't think that's possible, and so I do think the Bengals season is on the line tonight. I like the Ravens. If I were gonna bet it, I'd probably bet the Bengals because three and a half is too like. I kind of on the record on this that any of these AFC North matchups where it's more than three points, unless there is something drastic that's happened with a quarterback, I just think taking the points as smart. But I think the Ravens are I'm sorry the Bengals are in real rough shape if they lose tonight, and I think they are gonna lose tonight, And I think Lamar and the Ravens have a point to make about kind of trying that last week.
Speaker 3: Was a fluke.
Speaker 2: The worry for the Ravens is while they have been just dynamic and dominant throughout, they have just found a way to give games away and having double digit leads and blowing those games, not being able to close out the culture early in the year. All of that is concerning. But I think tonight they win. All right. Next I think the Colts.
Speaker 3: Beat the Ravens last year too for some reason. Maybe I'm wrong, Go ahead. Yeah. So on Tuesday, Draymond Green was ejected after putting Gobert in a choke hold for grabbing up Klay Thompson. He's hit with a five game suspension. Uh you joked, I mean the Warriors have been a disaster. Steph has been the only one hitting shots. And you joked that they were cooked earlier. But how exactly cooked are they now that all this is unfolded. Okay?
Speaker 2: And by the way, the Colts last year beat the Chiefs. They didn't play the Ravens, but that was the Colts biggest shocking when last year was Cobbies. So I don't think that I've said that the Warriors this year are cooked. What I get I was actually impressed by how they were playing very early in the season.
Speaker 3: I have said sorry for not.
Speaker 2: As of late is that the other than Steph, nobody is really carrying their weight. And that is still the case now.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't wanna make any big picture proclamations about the Warriors right now. I think that they have a trade to make. I think that they probably will make. I don't know what it is, but I don't think this is gonna be the exact team they go into the postseason with. And Steph has been so good, and aside from Denver, it doesn't really look like there is a team in the West that you can just pencil in go ahead.
Speaker 3: Is that trade you're gonna involve Draymond Green? Are you talking about like some of the rookies or something on that.
Speaker 2: No, No, no, I don't think they're gonna trade Draymond or Steph. I'm sorry Draymond, but Draymond or Clay H. They're obviously not gonna trade Steph. But I don't think it gonna trade Raymond or Clay. I think I still think it's on the board they trade Chris Paul, and then certainly on the board they trade some of the young guys, and you know, Zach Levine's available. There are different pieces that will come available throughout the year. This is what I'll say about, uh, the Draymond thing. Gobert was correct that when Steph doesn't play, he doesn't want to play. I mean, the fact of the matter is this, over the last five years, Draymond has been ejected from four of the nearly two hundred games Steph has played. That's two percent, and seven of the seventy four games Steph hasn't that's ten percent. So in the last thing about it like this, in the last five years, Draymond has been ejected eleven times. Seven of those games were games Steph didn't play. That part's true. What's also true is this, Draymond has just in the last three games been thrown out of one game, then chirped at Anthony Edwards and Anthony Edwards lit the Warriors on fire, and then got thrown out of another game for attacking Rudy Gobert go ahead to mase.
Speaker 3: Get him off, Like the juice is not worth the squeeze with this guy. Like before you could say that he was the glue or he was the galvanizer of the team. But dude, you're overstaying you're welcome at this point, you're overdoing it. Like you did what you did before, but now you're just becoming a problem. Like and the other thing is like he said that the ruby Gobert had his hand around Clay, but like, dude, he said he had his hand, he had his arm around my guy. Draymond had him hemmed up for like fifteen extra seconds after that.
Speaker 2: Well that's that, and that listen exactly. There is no defending Draymond on this. His own coach, Steve Kerr, was pleading with him to let him go.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, he targeted Gobert because they have a long standing beef that you know that he is he they've never liked each other. He's clearly been waiting to do that. But just in the last two dozen games he's played, he stopped on Sabonis's chest he remember in the playoffs and got suspended. And if you just think over the last thirteen months, of Basketball for punching Jordan Poole in the face, for stomping on Sabonis's chest, and for putting Rudy Gobert in a ten second choke hold. He got suspended for a grand total of six games.
Speaker 3: Like this idea that this is.
Speaker 2: Too harsh or anything like that is just an absurdity. It's just totally the And the point that I want to make is as Draymond declines as an athlete and is less and less effective, there's gonna be more and more of this there just is like and so I your point is the juice is not worth the squeeze. I and I do feel like retroactively, people are forgiving Draymond more and more for punching Jordan Poole because they're seeing how Jordan Poole is acting with the Wizards, and I understand that to a degree, but it's all What's also true is that that wreck to their team, that ruin they were the offending.
Speaker 3: Bad time of the season to do that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, they were the defending champs and it ruins in their season before it got off the ground. And so I just he is going to become more and more volatile as as he continues to decline as a player. Go ahead and ask them, do.
Speaker 3: You think there's a chance that they did this? Do you think there's a chance that he did this on purpose because of the new resting policy and wanted to just get kicked out.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't think that at all. I do think it was especially because he's now suspended for five games. Now. I do think that Clay also is frustrated. I mean, Clay started this with Jaden McDaniels, who hadn't done anything, and so I think right now the Warriors are a team that has one all time legendary player that is still playing at a super high level and two other Hall of famers that are nowhere near that level anymore, and they're st uggling with it. I think for Steph, I'm sorry for Clay and for Draymond. It is not only is it tough not being close to the player you once were, but it might be even tougher because Steph still is because the guy who's always been the guy is still and by the way, he's the oldest of the three and he's still at this insane level. And for Clay and Draymond. They're not all right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: But uh, okay, all right, So yesterday Cleveland announced that Deshaun Watson is going to undergo season ending shoulder surgery. The Browns are still in it, though. There's six and three with even with Watson playing poorly, how far do you think your MVP Miles Garrett can take the defense and the Browns without Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: So I was shocked yesterday of how many people were arguing that the Browns are now cooked because of the injury. Now, I mean, they obviously can't make the super Bowl, but I didn't think they could make the super Bowl before. I still think they're gonna make the playoffs. I mean, they've already banked six wins they still have. I mean, here's their remaining schedule this week home for the Steelers. Tough one, but about a coin flip game at the Broncos. Maybe tougher than we thought a month ago, but absolutely winnable. At the Rams. The Rams cannot block the Browns. I think that is a Browns win. Home for the Jags, they're gonna lose that home for the Bears. That's a win at the Texans tough one home for the Jets, that's a win, and then at the Bengals the final week of the year. I still think the Browns make the playoffs. And here's the other piece of it. I know that Deshaun's final half pre injury, he played really well. He was fourteen to fourteen and played well. Over the totality of the season. The Browns are dead last in the NFL in passer rating. They're six and three despite DeShawn, PJ. Walker and Dorian Thompson Robinson combining for a sixty seven passer rating, eight touchdowns and twelve picks and one hundred and eighty passing yards per game. Dead last. They have gotten worse quarterback play than the Jets, than the Patriots, than any team. DeShawn this year was averaging one hundred and eighty five yards passing per game, had an eighty four ratings, seven touchdowns, four picks. In this last game, he was as bad as he's ever been in the first half and then was excellent in the second half. There's no denying it. So I think they're gonna be okay now. I also think that long term it's a disaster, and their decision to trade Josh Dobbs before the year and a seventh round pick for a fifth round pick goes down as one of the worst misevaluations of a guy you have in the building that we've seen recently. If they had Josh Dobbs, they'd be fine. But I still think this is a playoff team. You got some follow ups there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this Watson injury isn't just about the injury. So he obviously has the season ending ending injuries and isn't going to be available, but he obviously just got that huge contract. What do you think this means for player in their contracts and player empowerment for the future.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I mean, I think it was pretty clear when Joe Burrow and Lamar and Jalen couldn't get fully guaranteed deals that this was a one off. And it's even more validated that it's a one off by the fact that the Browns so deeply regreted. What is noteworthy about it? And I want to listen, there are very few things on the Internet that people say to me that that irritate me. Oddly, one of the things that really irritates me is when folks try to well actually me on understanding the salary cap in the NFL, guys, I almost can guarantee you, unless you are tweeting from an NFL front office, I understand it better than you do. And maybe maybe I understand it, maybe you understand it as much as I do. But I made the point on television yesterday that the bones of the Deshaun Watson contract, it was a five year, two hundred and thirty million dollar, fully guaranteed deal. So if they had simply spread it out all evenly, then it would be a forty six million dollars per year cap it. Okay, that's that's what it would be. They decided in year one that you know, what we're gonna do is, because he has a pending suspension, we're gonna pay him basically the league minimum in year one. So the game checks that he loses it, doesn't you know, he loses as little money as possible. And Browns fans came to me and said, that's what every team with every contract does. No, they don't. Now, they very often in year one have the base salary low because the players getting the giant signing bonus checks so they don't matter. And then they can spread that out over the course of the deal, but making it literally the league minimum was a unique move that at the time everyone understood was in part to protect him from losing money in the suspension. You can call it unethical, you can call it immral, you can call it whatever you want. That's what they did. But that meant the five year two from a cap perspective, essentially turned into a four year to twenty. So now that's fifty five million per year against their cap. Okay, But then this off season they restructured it to give them more cap flexibility this year, so his cap hit this season was only twenty million dollars. And I understand folks love to add they're like, oh, the salary cap is fake. People that don't understand actually how the salary cap works. That's what they say. They're like, oh, the cap is fake. You can always move money around. And as I've said before and I will say again, you can, but those bills come due. So I will try to explain this as simply as possible for the fake gms out there that for some reason think they have a better understanding of this stuff than I do. Again, I'm there are a lot of people that talk about stuff that actually know what they're talking about, and they are maybe less abrasive than I am some of my contemporaries in the media. Maybe they have the and more power to them, but I cannot stand. I just can't stand. Folks that I wouldn't trust to balance a checkbook tell me that this is actually how the cap works. It's not complicated, guys. They have guaranteed Deshaun Watson two hundred and thirty million dollars at some point. That means two hundred and thirty million dollars of cap charges are going to be applied to the Cleveland Browns. So when two years into the deal, last year and this year the total cap charges to the Browns have been right at thirty million, that means over the next three years of the deal, and then you can add some dummy years, two hundred million million dollars must be up against the cap. So what does that mean? That means very simply to Shaun Watson for the Browns, next year has a cap charge of sixty four million dollars, The following year has a cap charge of sixty four million dollars. The following year has a cap charge of sixty four million dollars. Now, if you actually can do math, you might say, wait, sixty four plus sixty four plus sixty four, that's only one ninety two. You said it was two hundred. Yes, and then a year after the contract's over, he has a void year where he's not on the team or they've given him a contract extension that has a cap charge of eight million dollars. The point that I am making is this, the Cleveland Browns kept borrowing from future Cleveland brown years to accommodate the Deshaun Watson contract. They, as it turns out, correctly believed this year, we have a super Bowl caliber defense. Let's go try to win it right now. Unfortunately for them, DeShawn was bad and now he's hurt. What that means in practical purposes is this, Deshaun Watson, not via cash via cap, is still owed two hundred million dollars and only has three years left on his deal. That's why each of the next three years Deshaun Watson will have the highest cap charge in NFL history. And if Browns fans want to come to me and say, well, Nick, what they'll do is they'll restructure it again. Okay, maybe they will but that bill is coming due and your runway to pay that bill is shortening. And so the too long didn't listen version is this was their opportunity and that bill is now coming doing spades. And I think the best Browns defense were going to have seen this year's and unfortunately for them, they had an ineffective quarterback and now an injured quarterback, and I think they are about.
Speaker 3: To be a cycling any in that contract.
Speaker 2: So Barnwell, So here's the Barnwell asked that question, which was if you basically offered him up for a seventh round pick, would someone take it on. So here is what I think folks need to understand. He might be tradeable because when you trade for a player, all you're trading for is their the base salary. So if a team wanted him, they would owe him only forty six time three what's that one thirty eight? They would owe him one hundred and thirty eight million, fully guaranteed for the next three years. Now, the Browns would still owe a sixty two million dollars dead cap hit, either all next year or spread over the next two years because of his signing bonus and his restructuring accelerating onto the cap. I do think a team might take a flyer on him if they wanted to cut the court. I do because forty six million a year for three years is not as onerous as what the Browns are looking at. But I don't think they're They're gonna admit defeat, and I don't think that's what they're gonna do. I will tell you this much though, this Browns team with Baker Mayfield right now would be a legitimate AFC. Conmit, it absolutely would be. All right, last thing.
Speaker 3: All right. Dan Rolovski went on Pat McAfee's show earlier this week and said that he's heard that Bill Belichick is leaving. Bill Belichick is leaving next year and already knows where he's going. Oh, with Belichick leaving New England as a loser, proved that Tom Brady was the one, you know, providing for his legacy this whole time.
Speaker 2: No, I mean no, I'm not gonna let people do the revision. It's history on this. Like the first three Super Bowls the Patriots won, they were a far better defense than offense. The last super Bowl the Patriots won, they held the Rams, who were the second highest scoring team in the league that year to three points. This was obviously a great part. Now Belichick has lost his fastball, his drafts have been bad as of late.
Speaker 3: People, but the idea.
Speaker 2: That the well, I'm maybe people don't like him. That's fine, He's probably earned that. But the but the fact of the matter is he's the greatest coach of all time, was the architect of the greatest dynasty of all time. Now I do think he's not going to be on the Patriots next year. I do think that part's correct. But the follow up here is, so go ahead and ask that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so you're obviously in the business and you hear things as well for fans, explain what it means to quote unquote hear things.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that you listen, that usually.
Speaker 3: Means also let me ask it, and how do you determine what you can and cannot say on air?
Speaker 2: Well, that's all right, So these are complicated questions. The hearing things usually means one or two people that I kind of believe know, but I'm not dead certain I have said it, so I will I will repeat it with the couching of I'm not actually reporting this, like that's just you know, it's out there in the ether. My only concern when things are the hearing things stuff is how much of it is uh snake eating its tail. So I said on the air three weeks ago that I think what's gonna happen is that the Los Angeles Chargers are gonna trade a second round pick for Bill Belichick. I had not I have no sourcing on that. I was. The sourcing was my brain. I was like, the Chargers are probably gonna fire Brandon Staley, but they probably, like Kellen Moore, want to keep him. They want someone to come in. Belichick will want to go to a team with a quarterback to try to get Shula's record. Like this seems to make sense. That was I was not reporting that at all, and I didn't pretend I was. I just said of the teams that might trade for him, that Belichick would want to go to you know what, you know, what's the Venn diagram? I said the Chargers. Over the last couple weeks since I said that, more and more people are saying that, which and then you you have Orlovsky saying on McAfee, you know he's hearing. So I always wonder on the hearing things stuff. If what sometimes happens is and I'm not saying that's what's happening here, what does that mean.
Speaker 3: I was the first one to do is I did that? You know? That's I started saying.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's not what I'm saying. If you if you're gonna make a joke, have it ab one the audience understands, and b B one that actually makes sense. Uh I. So the reason I brought that up is I wonder at times if what happens is someone throws something out there that is just their opinion that gets interpreted as a half a report, and then an actual someone that might have inside information in the background repeats it like oh, well, you know this is out there, But then when they say it, it actually becomes a little newsy, and then all of a sudden people are hearing it. Does that make like the if I were to I'll use a different, just kind of fake example. If I were to say to so I'm pals with Adam Lefko, right, who's on inside the NBA. NBA guy. If he and I are talking basketball and he's a Big Sixers fan and he says to me, just just chatting, He's like yeah, you know, I think the Sixers should go after and this is I'm making this up entirely. I think the Sixers should go after Zach Levine, right, And I'm like, oh, that's interesting, it'd be an interesting fit. They have the pieces whatever. And then on TV I go out and I'm like, you know, one of the places to watch Zach Lavine at is Philly. I was talking to, you know, an NBA person recently. They really liked the fit, right, So I didn't say that everybody. I shouldn't say everybody. A lot of people know that I have a relationship with the guy who runs the Sixers, Daryl Morey. They could hear me say that. Assume that when I said, you know, I got you know, I was talking to NBA person. They like the fit, That's who I'm talking about. And then all of a sudden, there it's like, hey, hearing Zach Levine connected to the Sixers, when in reality it would have just been because a Sixers fan who's a buddy of mine said he liked the fit and he's so that. So the that is the difference between you know, I'm hearing such and such, and you got to know who's saying it. If Jay Glazer, who doesn't report many things but as a near perfect hit rate, says he's hearing things, it probably means he's hearing it from an actual decision maker. If I say it, it could Demonse could have mentioned it. Who knows, Like, well, that did happen. That did happen in a very roundabout way. I was on TV and we were talking. We were playing the Jordan Poole Highlight, and I just said in passing, I was like, yeah, and I can't believe some people thought this guy could average thirty a game. And while it's like nobody thought he could average thirty a game. And I said, no, some of our colleagues did. I can't even remember who, but I heard it, and then I realized that who was Demanse?
Speaker 3: Wait, so yeah, either way. She said earlier that you didn't get my joke. I got the joke, you just didn't get it. It's cool, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, you you got the joke. You told the joke.
Speaker 3: Wait, but the fans also got the joke. It wasn't just me.
Speaker 2: Oh the chattel.
Speaker 3: There's like eight folks in the chat saying that they got the joke. Soldier boy said that he was the first rapper to do this, that and the third, and he's like, not the first, and that's just his bit, and you like had like a start to a soldier boy.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't saying, Okay, you weren't.
Speaker 3: Saying you were the first one to do something. You were saying you were the first one to say something.
Speaker 2: And then they But so the I what I do think the Belichick Chargers thing was not a thing people were talking about three weeks ago when I kind of threw out as a possibility. On first things first, I am not claiming that that is why people are now talking about it, though I do think that a month ago it wasn't really out there in the ether. And I just kind of put put it together because there are not a lot of places that I think are going to fire their coach that also Belichick would want to go to that have a quarterback. But the Chargers do, all right? Do our gambling show next, What's Right? All right? Welcome back in What's Driving Nick Right? Episode one ninety four. And the holidays are upon us, and I know everyone will start thinking of what gifts to buy their significant others. I know I have. Well, I'm excited to share a great holiday gift idea with you. Light Box light Box Lab grown diamonds proudly grown from one hundred percent renewable wind energy at the light Box Lab in Portland, Oreent. Not only that, but they're very simply priced. Light Boxes Lab grown diamond jewelry ranges from classic studs, more of the Moment, tennis bracelet's drop, earrings, and so much more. I know my wife would like any of those. Light Box Lab grown diamonds are perfect for family, friends, or even yourself. Make it easy for yourself and get everyone something special with a discount code we have for you. Shop now at lightboxjewelry dot com and use promo code nick right for ten percent off site wide. That's Lightboxjewelry dot com promo code nick right for ten percent off site wide. All right, now are week eleven picks coming off our best week of the year three one and one. Listen, we have not been dynamite this year, but as I said, hovering right around five hundred and Luki there fifty games in twenty four to twenty five and one. Now that's still minus three point five units, but only a game below five hundred, and this was right around where we were last year when we got red hot. So the picks last week. Jacksonville plus three was obviously a disaster. They got annihilated. But the other ones Cleveland plus six, they went outright, Houston plus seven, they went out right, Detroit minus three. That's a push against the Chargers, so be it. And Dallas minus sixteen and a half against the Giants went exactly how I told you it was going to go. Now, once again, I got a little unlucky in that. For I did that my three picks on TV, which I pick from here, and I had five picks to choose from, I included the one loss. So that's unfortunate. So instead of going three and oh or two oho and one on television, I went just two and one. But we're twenty four to twenty five and one on the year. Demondse what's my first pick of the week.
Speaker 3: Your first pick of the week is Pittsburgh plus one at Cleveland. Now you can get it out plus one and a half. Okay, So Pittsburgh plus.
Speaker 2: One and a half. Uh So the Cleveland is starting Dorian Thompson Robinson, a fifth round rookie who I be. Listen, he only started one game this year, and that was the game Deshaun Watson pulled himself out of a couple hours for kickoff. He was terrible, but I'm not gonna hold that against him. He didn't get the full week of practice and he didn't know he was gonna start. I thought Dorian Thompson Robinson was excellent in the preseason, and I think he'll be okay. I just don't know if he'll be okay this week. I also maybe I'm the only one I respect what the Steelers have done. I know that they probably from a metrics and a stats standpoint, they shouldn't be six and three, but they are. I picked them before the year to win that division. I still think they're live to do that. I think that the offense has, I don't want to say gotten better, but shown a few signs of life over the last couple of weeks since Matt Canada moved down from the booth to the sideline. And right now, I told you AFC North teams getting points. I said it more than three and a half is an almost must bet. I'm not betting the Thursday night game tonight, but I know this is only one and a half. I just like Pittsburgh in this spot. AFC North Division games underdogs are sixty nine, forty six and three against the spread in the last decade and tomlin is a doll has been one of the most profitable plays in the NFL over the last five years. So I like Pittsburgh. I think they're gonna win out right, go ahead, Demansey.
Speaker 3: Speaking of years, this is going to be the second lowest NFL over under in the last ten years, so a lot of defense being played on a scoring.
Speaker 2: Really hold on what's the total in the total in this game's thirty three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that kind of sounds about right. Uh. I mean that's considering what both.
Speaker 2: Cos that's not the a thirty three point NFL over not under is. And I'm looking right now at see thirty two and a half in some spots, that's crazy. Thirty two and a half for Saints Brown's last year, and uh, in thirty three or thirty two and a half this week, that's wild. I didn't realize that that is, but that and again you're not getting a lot of points, but give me a point and a half if they lose seventeen sixteen. I guess what Vegas and that by the way, if it's a thirty three point total and it's point point and a half spread, that's what Vegas is saying. This is a seventeen to sixteen Cleveland win, all right.
Speaker 3: Next next you've got Jacksonville minus six and a half versus Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jags at home bounce back spot after getting blown out by the Demons. Doesn't like it. He's making a very unattractive face about it. I don't think you want that on for the YouTube audience. Pout and the one of the mistakes some gamblers make is in a positive or negative direction overreacting to what we saw last one week ago. I understand the Jags couldn't block the Niners. The Niners looked like a machine and the Jags looked terrible. The Jags that here's a good stat from our producers. Teams good teams teams above five hundred who scored less than fourteen points in the previous week over the last decade are one oh one and seventy seven against the spread in the last in the last decade. Why because people overreact to them. This should Jacksonville at home against Tennessee. Should be laying more than a touchdown. They're laying six and a half. I understand Vrabel getting points. Typically he's not quite Tomlin, but he's in that realm. I just don't like this Tennessee team at all. Jacksonville needs this game, especially with Houston coming on hot for the division, and that's a losable game next week against Houston. The Jags are not losing three straight. They are a good team. Their losses this year have come to the Chiefs, the Texans and the Niners, two excellent teams.
Speaker 3: Question, I gonna win by seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they will. I think they actually win by double digits. I like the Jags minus six and a half.
Speaker 3: Next Seahawks minus one at the Rams.
Speaker 2: All right, all of the trends on this are.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 2: McVeigh owns Pete Carroll, which I understand has been a problem. Gino is a favorite. Is not good. This is a very straightforward one. I think the Rams right now are actually slightly overvalued. They're obviously, and we talk about this every week. They obviously are not gonna have home field advantage in any of these games, and the Rams coming into the year, people thought this could be one of the worst teams in football. They threw everyone off the scent because in Week one against Seattle they blew them out and people are like, oh, maybe the Rams are gonna be legit. They're not. Since then, their wins have come in overtime against the Colts and against the Cardinals, who were at the time maybe the worst team in football. I think the Rams have a brutal offensive line. I think Seattle is a good team that has real trouble with the best teams in the league. They lost to the Bengals, they got blown out by the Ravens. I don't think they're gonna have trouble with the Rams here. I don't mind laying the points, especially because I think it'll probably be at least fifty to fifty Seahawks fans there, and I think the Rams are in a rough spot moving forward the rest of the year. When you look at what the Rams have on their schedule after the Cardinals game, it's hard to fight. They have the Cardinals and the Giants. Aside from that, I don't know if they have another win on their schedule. I like Seattle, but I shouldn't say bounce back spot because they won last week into the Commanders. But I like Seattle. I'm only laying a point. I'll take Seattle minus one.
Speaker 3: You've got my blessing on that one.
Speaker 2: You like that one? Okay, good, I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 3: Next Minnesota plus two and a half at Denver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people are right now overvaluing Denver and undervaluing Minnesota. Minnesota's coached very well by Kevin O'Connell, Josh Dobbs has played well, and Denver Man Buffalo did everything they could to lose that game, and Denver still almost gave it to him. Denver still tried to give it right back to him. I think the it's very interesting watching Sean Payton call plays for this Denver team because even though Russ has some of his numbers are shockingly good, Sean Payton clearly doesn't trust him and is trying to coach around the quarterback and the play calling. I don't think that will work against Minnesota. I think Minnesota is gonna be able to take care of the football. Minnesota is in a spot where they are you know, they can't obviously lock up a playoff spot, but because it is so hard to find a third wild card team in the NFC other than Minnesota. They're in a really strong position. They also maybe are tricking themselves in the thinking they could run down Detroit in the division. Minnesota is gonna win this game, outright. I like Minnesota. I'm really surprised by this line. I guess it's Josh Dobbs on the roads against a defense that's played well the last month, and credit at defense. It has played well. It's played really well since giving up those seventy points. Played well against the Chiefs twice, played well against Josh Allen. I just think Minnesota is a better team than the Denver Broncos, and I anger right now. Denver on a short week after an emotional win, is primed for a bit of a letdown spot after a couple emotional wins, I should say, beating the Chiefs and beating the Bills. I like Minnesota plus the two and a half, all right, last.
Speaker 3: One, I think that's gonna be a good game. Last one. You got Kansas City minus two and a half at Philly or verse Philly? Sorry at home? Yeah?
Speaker 2: At home? Yeah. I don't care about the Mahomes against the spread numbers because He's almost always such a huge favorite. It's so rare to be able to get the Chiefs laying less than a field goal. When you have that opportunity, I think it's almost a must bet. If you remember, they were underdogs in the AFC Championship Game against Cincinnati despite it being at Arrowhead because of mahomes injury. They were underdogs in the Super Bowl. I think the Chiefs Andy Reid off a bye is about as good as it gets in this league.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I understand the Eagles are also off a bye, but mahomes Is unwavering confidence that the offense is going to get it going is incredibly encouraging.
Speaker 3: Say it again, Oh you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Just I mean, I think the Chiefs defense is excellent and Mahomes absolutely It does not seem like false bravado that the Chiefs are going to get it going on the same.
Speaker 3: We don't have it figured out like that's obviously. I feel like that's the stands he's gonna no.
Speaker 2: But I just I just believe I I those are You're right. He wouldn't say it, He wouldn't say the other that he didn't have confidence, But I believe him and the way he has said it, and the way he has conducted him the way he conducted himself after the Dolphins win when the offense didn't play well and the Chiefs won, he seemed more confident than had they won thirty five thirty two because I think he believes correctly the offense will get it figured out and that Chiefs defense just dominated what had been the highest scoring offense in the league. And so the Chiefs are at home laying less than a field goal off a bye against an Eagles team that while their record is excellent and I have massive respect for the Eagles the Eagles, it's not like they have looked like a flawless team up to this point in the season. This is to me a great spot for the Chiefs to remind everyone they're still the best team in the NFL. Hands down, all lay the two and a half with Kansas City. So the picks for the week Pittsburgh plus one and a half at Cleveland, Jacksonville minus six and a half against Tennessee Seattle minus one in Arizona, Minnesota minus or plus two and a half at Denver, and the Chiefs minus two and a half against Philly. All Right, Demons what's your teaser this week? Pal? Last week we know another two and one teaser. The jag screwed you. Sorry about that, Pal. What's the teaser this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we lost last week's obviously. This week is a three teams seven and a half point teaser. We're teasing the Cowboys from minus ten and a half to minus three Panthers at Carolina.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: We're teasing the Steelers from plus one and a half to plus nine versus the love It the Browns. And then we're teasing the Detroit Lions from minus seven and a half to just pick them versus the Bears, and the Lion's I'm gonna lose that.
Speaker 2: Game, demonsay, this is an A plus teaser. I'm gonna show my confidence in you by betting a full unit of my own on it. You're gonna win this week?
Speaker 3: This week, I appreciate. I'm surprised you're not saying anything about the Detroit leg.
Speaker 2: No, you got it through all the key numbers. It's fine. Hey, the that now, I the the only argument would be, would you want to do a seven point teaser to get a little more value on your money? So get Pittsburgh plus eight and a half and Detroit from a pick them to plus half points the same thing. The problem there is then you don't get Dallas to the three at least now. Somehow Dallas only wins by three. So I think it's the right numbers. I think it's an a triple plus. I think it's gonna win. Take quick break, answer some of your questions in the chat What's Right? All right? Welcome back in What's Try with thick Right? Episode one ninety four. This episode of What Trick is brought to you by the mcdonaldnald's app. I love the McDonald's app for McDelivery. It's perfect for every situation. Let's say it's poor and rain, don't want to go out get your delicious mcdouble MC delivery. Let's say your team's playing you don't want to miss a single snap mc delivery. Let's say it's been a long day. Better way to fix that and get a delicious quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry delivered right to your door. I loved order McDelivery when I'm watching a game or hanging out with my family, and now every time you order McDelivery and the McDonald's app. It earns you points towards free food. Who doesn't like free food? So there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app Donald McDonald's app today. At participating McDonald's delivery, prices may be higher than at restaurants delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three. McDonald's. All right, demonsey, we got to get out of here, so let's let's answer Matthew Flowers question and then get moving.
Speaker 3: Nick, right, what would happen in this game to make you lose confidence in the Chiefs short of injury to star players?
Speaker 2: Nothing, I look nothing, the.
Speaker 3: Maybe Mahomes on three picks against that bad secondary.
Speaker 2: No, folks, folks want me. Here's the thing. It'd be one thing if my Chiefs, if my level of confidence for the Chiefs was irrational, But people, and if you wanted to call it irrational going into last season, when Mahomes had just played that terrible second half against the Bengals and the Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill, so be it.
Speaker 3: You could have.
Speaker 2: But when they're coming off winning a super Bowl, when Mahomes was playing on one leg, and when you're seeing the rest of the alleged contenders in the AFC. Self immolate. I don't know why you would believe that I would have anything other than full complete confidence that this is the best team in football. All right, great job everybody. I gotta go, We gotta get to television. Have a wonderful weekend. We will talk to you guys at three o'clock today on first things first, what's right