Speaker 1: What's that bed?
Speaker 2: It's spooky. I'm really sure it's dead. He's coming this way. Wait a minute, how I know, said.
Speaker 1: Ross Dress.
Speaker 2: Hey boo, it's me Ras you guys.
Speaker 3: I am joined by an icon on today's episode, Raja Raja Gemini, which is Raja Raja is so incredible and.
Speaker 2: You'll hear from this.
Speaker 3: I I actually don't know Raja, and it's it's weird that I don't, but she was very instrumental in my my young days pre being a drag perform and I would go see her and I remember thinking, that is the most beautiful human being I have ever seen in person. And yes I do have a mirror, and I just to me, she's just the epitome of cool. And then she went on to do drag Race. She won RuPaul's Drag Race season three. And she's also hilarious and has.
Speaker 2: Some ghost stories.
Speaker 3: So we recorded this about a month ago, and you're really gonna enjoy this, I think, because she comes. She comes correct with these stories today and I got a good one for you next week. Oh, podcast is going well over here. I love it when people send me ghost stories, and I don't always I haven't lately. I haven't been reading that many because I haven't been getting that many written out. And it's okay. I'm sure you guys are very busy, but if you have one, you know, you could always email me I go stood by rosigmail dot com, or leave it in a five star review on Apple podcasts. But here's one that I recently noticed. This one came from I want to say. Their name is Lese and it says Hi Roz was listening to your February fourth show with Jess Ambrose Lover. You're discussing never seeing ghosts from the waist down. Well, one time I was walking my dog Tyler and glanced up to see an old high back wooden chair all by its lonesome on the corner in San Francisco. Finding abandoned furniture is one of the best ways to acquire nice, new for you pieces. I considered picking it up, but something odd caught my eye. Movement of fluttering in the breeze. Closer Now I saw air of legs draped in pattern loose flowing pants seated in the chair. It wouldn't seem strange if there had been someone sitting there. There wasn't. I could see the chair through the pants. I was transfixed, thrilled, unnerved. As I circled the chair with the transparent lower torso and legs still visible, I watched them move and the fabric ripple. I took a photo empty chair, sigh. I decided not to bring it home with me. The chair was gone and possibly re homed the next day. You know that coind reminds me of is in Beetleteos when there's like the waiting room and there's that woman and she's like got her legs and then she's like the upper half. They're like separated on the show, just like two legs, just like sitting there. That's an amazing story. Thanks for sending me that. And I love the gorgeous pants. Maybe they were some type of pantaloon or a palazzo pant. Gorgeous, guys. I want to hand it on over to our episode today. Of course, if you want to hear a little extra, you can always go to patreon dot com slash razjezz Falas to hear Raja's thoughts on some unexplained phenomenals, including Ouija boards and sleep paralysis and you know that kind of stuff. Other than that, it is time for my conversation with winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Season three, Raja Gemini, and with the show Oh my God, I am starstruck because I am joined by Raja.
Speaker 2: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good your stars.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love when people are struck.
Speaker 3: You don't even understand. First of all, you're one of the few people that I I've.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, I don't think ever worked with.
Speaker 3: No, I know I've never worked with you, because I would have absolutely remembered.
Speaker 2: You mean so much to me.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I I even during the pandemic, and I know this isn't like super cute to say, but I was having moments where I was like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't miss drag at all.
Speaker 3: And then I started listening to your podcast with Delta Work called Bury That and you guys reminiscing and having fun. It felt like I was like in a dressing room. You guys were talking about places I used to go to when and I would see you guys when I was like, that's what I want to be one day.
Speaker 2: I want to be like them.
Speaker 3: It brought me back so much and has given me literally life back into my love for drag, and I truly give the two of you, like I put that on the two of you to that have done that for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's wonderful. I love that. I love that because you know, like like what you're saying, it's like it does kind of feel like being in a dressing room, because that to me, like when I do a drag show, the dressing room is the most important and the funnest part of the evening. I don't think people people really don't get to indulge in the show that is the dressing room itself, and that that in itself should be it's its own thing. But yeah, I think it's it's also kind of healthy for me in Delta to have those nostalgic moments and get to talk about things in the past, because it not only shows us where we've come along, but it also kind of, you know, it just reminds us of our roots and why we love what we do and the friendships that we made, and you know, and the camaraderie and the gossip and the friendships and the alliances that you make along the way, so that that's been really important, you know. So but I appreciate that. I really appreciate hearing that from you, Like I said, I love it when people are starstruck. Is I fucking worked hard for people to be starstruck for decades? Sis? No, I was just gonna ask you what pronouns you prefer to be to be called by?
Speaker 2: I go by she.
Speaker 3: I mean people could say they raz I'm not a big he. I don't like he, but yeah she, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm not a big heat either, but I'll accept it. I'm not. I'm not mad at it because I I have definitely embraced the masculine parts of me. My pronoun is thou. Actually I would like to refer to as doo oh, so fancier Shakespearean.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to hear if thou will doubt tell us.
Speaker 3: About your your your paranormal relationship. I want to know, well, first of all, what do you believe when it comes to this kind of spooky stuff?
Speaker 2: Or is it spooky too both?
Speaker 1: I don't really actually know what I believe. Just up. On a personal note, death has been a recurring conversation a lot within my friend groups, mainly because our parental figures My mother my best friend's grandmother who raised him, and then I also have another bestie who lives in Hawaii. His mother is going through you know this this hospice care, which essentially, in medical terms, means it's sort of the end of life, you know, and and and there's different levels of care that are given to people as they become more and more ill and as they start preparing them also the next realm. So this conversation lately has been very very much death. We've been talking about death. But first of all, my experience with death is I'm not afraid of it. I have experienced so much because I am of a generation where death was quite common, especially in the queer community. I'm you know, I'm a generation what the fuck do they call it? X gen X. I'm just, oh my god, that's like practically a boomer. But you know, so I I have friends who've died for various reasons, those including aids and drug addiction. I worked in nightlife, so it just it just became a very very common conversation. And now when I talk about death, I don't really have a fear in the conversation because I I'm not afraid of it. So it is it.
Speaker 2: Is that a spiritual thing.
Speaker 1: It is a spiritual thing. Yeah, And I and and I also grew up in a big chunk of my childhood was spent in Indonesia, and they have a very interesting view of death and different rituals that they used within the various the various, uh, you know, Indonesia's is quite vast. It's not just one singular culture. It's many, many, many different languages, many foods, many you know, cultures on its own, and each each, each Indonesian cultural, our culture, has its own way of dealing with death. So that that part for me has always been both mystery, intriguing and now in my age, something that I am not afraid of. So I'm not even afraid of the lingering spirits that could perhaps be around me because I don't know. I'm still thinking it out, you know, because we never really know it's on the other side. We don't. We don't. We can, we can make the assumptions, and we can use our spiritualities and religion to kind of help us guide it through, but no one really actually fucking knows. But when I tell you, But when I tell you, sometimes I feel the spirits around me. Baby, I believe in that, and I don't know what it is. It could be something spiritual, or it can be a the fuck, it could be purely alien and scientific like the matrix. You know, it could it could.
Speaker 2: Be that, it could be that it's fun to speculate. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's okay. I think I think part of the part of the guessing game and figuring it out is what life is all about. And then you really don't know what happens until you get there on the other side.
Speaker 3: So I totally agree. Like, I think that having conversations about this stuff, which I do on a daily and weekly basis, has really taken away my fear of death. And it's just I still don't I don't know what happens when we die, blah blah blah. I but just hearing a lot of different people's experiences with being visited by loved ones or just various things like that has made me feel like, Okay, I think I understand some I understand that it's going to be all fine, everything's fine. Yeah, it's not, you know. I think we live on no matter what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in one in one way or another. And a big part of me is also a believer of like readincarnation and such, just because I have a huge respect for Eastern religions and faiths and philosophies.
Speaker 3: Do you think that your cultural upbringing has informed your ideas of like ghosts, for example.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, yeah, yeah, Oh my gosh. We could go on for our about this, but I yeah, at a young age, I realized what death was, and I realized, especially living in Indonesia, that spirits are very important and ought to be respected and and not dismissed. So yes, I think, I don't know, there's something in my apartment. I live in an old apartment building. We talked about I mean, we haven't really talked extensively about it, but like I know, in my apartment, this building has probably built maybe i'd see, like in the thirties, which is very common in the part of LA that I live in, which is in Korea Town and most of Los Angeles really and what people what many people don't realize is that LA has a very very dark history. This is the wild West, you know, this is historically so there was a lot lot of ship going down here that that that you know, crimes, murders, the Black Dahlia for instances from this is an l A story. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And and there was a period in time before before we even existed, in this realm that you know, l A was a very dark place. Lots of crazy, weird ass ship has happened here, the Alexandria Hotel, you know, the Black Dahlia. Lots of urban myths and legends of spirits and and such happened. So I don't know if it's just me. I don't know if it's if it's if it's me. Uh, maybe I take too many edibles at night. I don't I don't know what the fuck it is. But ship be going down in my apartment, and I am not. I'm not afraid of it. I think my understanding of death and my acceptance of the existence of spirits calms me. It makes me feel like, you know what, if you ain't doing nothing, nothing, nothing bad to me, you know, if you're not making me, if you're not possessing me in an evil way, then we then we can live together. You me, uh, you know, me and the spirits in this apartment we can live together just fine. We can coexist.
Speaker 3: Do you think that, as you had mentioned edibles, I kind of have this theory that's like if you're intoxicated, like because people will tell me these stories and then and then sometimes I'll hear people online be like, yeah, they were probably high or whatever, and I say, well, if your guard is down, you know, like when you're slightly intoxicated or whatever, you're not worrying about the things that we worry about all the time. And could that make the veil thinner to the other side, Like could there actually be something to that?
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, I was really excited about American Horror Story this season, which is set in Provincetown. And Provincetown is a place that I frequent, usually in the summertime when it's at its height, because it's a you know, it's a it's a gay mecca. It's a place that you know, really celebrates many artists. And I spend many of my summers there workshopping and learn and learning and just overall having a great time and spending a beautiful summer in Cape Cod. And it's it's at the tip of Cape Cod. And if you're unfamiliar, you can look at it at a math Provincetown. The Cape Cod itself is in the shape of a spiral, and Provincetown is at the very tip of it. Historically, it's the first place that the Pilgrims when they came to America from England, first landed. Because it is a virtual sandbar, it was almost impossible for them to grow and farm, and also the weather was a far too cold for them to survive. So they were like, fuck this, we can't hang out here. This isn't working. We're going to move to Plymouth. And so now Plymouth or Plymouth Rock is considered to be the first place where the Pilgrims landed, when in actuality it was Provincetown. So if you can imagine, this is a place that has a lot of history. There's graveyards there in the center of town. In fact, just across the street from the stopping shop, which is the grocery store. They're most comparable to Vaughn's and Ralph's here in California, but they have one there. And across the street there's this graveyard and I would walk through it a lot many times. In fact, I've made out with the boy once there late at night. But the gravestones are so old that you can barely see what is chiseled onto them. Some of the graves are like I'm not kidding you, like sixteen hundred, seventeen seventeen something, definitely seventeen, definitely sixteen and you know old old Graves. Well, because this is a summer town and because a lot of gays are hanging out. I was hanging out with a bunch of gates on a patio, all hanging out, drinking, enjoying our evening one night and a friend offered me some mushrooms, which I love. I find them to be quite nice actually, and especially on the summer night in Cape Cod. So I took these mushrooms and I needed to walk back home, which was on the other side of town, a very small town, you know, not so going across town isn't like miles and miles and miles. It's just like I had to. I had to get back to met to where I was staying. And it was very late at night, I want to say, it was about three o'clock in the morning, you know. And there I was the time my mushrooms baby kicked in. And it was just in that nice coasting level where I was having a really fun time. The wind that was coming off of the bay was causing this flapping sound against all the rainbow flags that were strewn across the street. Baby, oh yeah. And I was walking alone, and I knew how old this place was, of course, And there was no one on the streets, just the sound of the flapping flags in the wind and through the trees. And about halfway on the halfway point, as I'm walking between my friend's patio and down the street to where I was staying, swear to God, there was nobody on the streets. But I felt the eyes. I felt like I was being watched by hundreds of people. I could not even describe it. I was like, oh my god, am I am I terrified right now? No, I'm not. How can it be terrified? There's nothing threatening happening to me. It's just it was just the sudden awareness that I was being watched. And it wasn't anything human. It was just it was entities, it was spirits, it was things. It was maybe thoughts that were leaking to something. I definitely felt eyes on me. And I made it home safely, and I got into bed and I went to bed, and then the next day it stayed in my mind. I was like, wow, you know, so, yes, I do think that certain certain especially more natural substances like potten and shrooms can be can definitely heighten that awareness for sure.
Speaker 3: So what's going on in your apartment? Because I've heard you talk a little bit about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well a few things have happened, and I how.
Speaker 2: Long have you been there?
Speaker 1: I've lived in this apartment now almost five years. Previously I lived in or I lived in West Hollywood, which even there too, you know, there's a lot of people who have who have broken dreams here and people who and and spirits that may or that may be lingering.
Speaker 3: Unfinished business yet exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And I always kind of felt that in West Hollywood. But when I moved here to this apartment in Koreatown, the building was quite a bit older, and occasionally I will feel movement, I will feel presences. A door may open and I and you can blame it on the wind, you can blame it on the creaking of an old building. You can blame it on on various things that I think a lot of those moments, I'm really quite aware, Especially when I fucking take an edible, I'm just like, WHOA, what's that? Am I am? I being paranoid. Well, one evening, as I was watching television, I have a little sort of salon area. It's it's a converted dining room that that connects to my kitchen, and I hang out in this room a lot. And it's got a lot of items, a lot of painting, there's a lot of I keep a lot of my glittering rhinestone headdresses above me as a display, and so it's it's a bit of a clutter, but it's an eclectic and very very romantic sort of room. And I relax in this room a lot. And one evening, late late late in the evening, I was laying on my sofa watching whatever was on TV. And I have a painting of Carol Channing. Yes, very yeah, it's a painting of Carol Channing that that is in a hallway that connects to my restaurant room. And this is the room where I display a lot of paintings as well. Well. Nothing in the five years that I've ever lived here, nothing has ever fallen off that, you know, nothing, but this full on Carol Channing painting flew from one end of the hallway to the other and there it laid flat, and I immediately knew it was no coincidence. There's no way any sort of wind or anything could have knocked it off. It fell to the ground. So immediately I stood up to see what it was. And then I picked up the painting and I looked over at where the nail that that held it to the wall there was. The nail wasn't bent, you know, it's you would think it's an old, crumbling sort of older building wall. The plaster might have weakened. I thought of various reasons why this painting flew across the room and there as.
Speaker 2: It didn't just fall. It went a distance.
Speaker 1: It went a distance. Yeah, I would say it went at least like up to three three yards from wall, God, from wall to the other side of the door. And this is a smaller hallway that that wind could not have couldn't have affected it. You know. Also, my bedroom is a is a place that I am always I am a little uh No, I'm not afraid of it because I definitely find some fantastic relaxation and and and and I do bedroom things in that bedroom, and I'm not afraid of it. But my boyfriend was We were asleep one night and in the middle of the night, he's like, hey, did you feel that He's like I'm like, what is everything okay? And he's like, no, he's like, it's everything's fine. He's like, but I literally felt someone sit on the corner of the bed, on his side of the bed, like on the very corner. And I was like, that is really interesting because while I was while I was away in Provincetown, I had a friend staying here in this apartment and they mentioned the same thing in the bedroom. They said that while in the bedroom, they were convinced that someone had completely sat down their entire weight onto the bed and they felt someone on the edge of the bed. So something happened in this hallway that connects my room to the bedroom to the to the living space. But there's this one little nook and this closet door too that's in this particular hallway constantly opens on its own and I can slam it shut, I can put a thing on it, but it constantly opens on me.
Speaker 2: And this isn't scary to you.
Speaker 1: Not really. I mean, I don't really have a choice. I don't. I love this apartment and I and I respect and honor the history of it. I don't know exactly who lived in this apartment, uh, you know, and my neighbor. I live in a complex that's very much I compare it to like the Melrose Place, but with like a bunch of queer gays over thirty. And we we you know, we often stroll around in the courtyard in kaftans and Moroccan slippers and we talk, and we talk a lot about the different things that happened within this building. And one of my name my one of my neighbors, who has lived here longer than I have, has mentioned the story of a little girl. Oh, here we go. He said that I don't know. He says, yeah, He's like, you're not the first one to ever sperience anything. In fact, there's a story that that's told quite often with a lot of the tenants that there's either they hear the sound of a little girl or they see the figure of like a little girl running around or so something. There's a there's a child spirit perhaps somewhere in here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Carol Channing or what, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't really know. I think I think she was just like, well that one seems to be that it was it wasn't in a frame, So maybe she was being respectful and she's like, well, I want to fuck up the frame of a good frame. You know, maybe she was maybe, maybe she's a considerate ghost who appreciates the antiques that I have in here, because it was really one that was unframed. It was just the canvas of Carol Channing flying across. So I actually love it until I feel threatened by it, you know, will I move? But no, I'm I'm actually fascinated by it, and I am I almost prefer my my buildings with a little bit of a little bit of ghost flavor in it. You know, is do you have.
Speaker 3: Any interest in doing a say once or getting someone in there and and you know, maybe a medium or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think about that, and I you know, and I've done some research through friends, I've asked about it, and one day I will It's not a priority. Again, it's not anything that I'm afraid of. And until it does scare me, then then I'll take those those measures. But otherwise I'm fine with it. I actually find it quite like sweet.
Speaker 2: Is that I find that beautiful?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I if I was to have a ghost, I would want one like that. I I don't have one currently. I understand why people find that stuff creepy, and and I think that people's upbringings or what they learn from horror movies or whatever can inform how they feel about stuff like that. Some people might interpret, oh my god, they through a painting that means that this this it's a demon and they're going to try to kill me, or you know whatever. But it seems like you have a pretty good grasp on it, and and you know your your gut instincts around it, and it sounds like it's a really sweet thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not afraid yet. It hasn't done anything really threatening, so I'm I'm okay with it. But I also, you know, I'm I'm an I'm a crazy, crazy vintage and thrift shopper, same crazy crazy about it my entire life. And when I pick clothing or items, you know, whether it be furniture or whatever, I always always think about who previously owned it. And in some ways I'm even more fascinated to know that, you know that I'm taking the things of people who have passed. For instance, when I lived in West Hollywood, out of the Closet had a series of dresses, all sort of like lycra ish of a certain style and length and they and it belonged to one person. I knew it right away that it belonged to one person, because it was all the same size, and they all had a lot of bazazz and flare to it. And it just so happened that that week or the previous week before those things appeared at out of the closet Hollywood Line, Hollywood Lawn passed away, who was.
Speaker 2: A big rhol legend, right.
Speaker 1: And I firmly, firmly believe that because I met Hollywood Lawn, and I firmly believe that many of those those dresses that were that I found there probably belonged to her. And and uh, if they did or they did not, I I don't know. My strong my my feelings says that they belong to her. So I liked her. You know, when I when I hold those items or have those items in my possession, I always think about the previous owners and and and a lot of them, you know me have died, you know, and they would have probably been really quite happy to know that I took over those things and that I own those things and will wear them proudly and showcase them in one way or another. So so I definitely have like like cozy sentimental feelings to other people's belongings.
Speaker 3: Do you so, do you do any because I I they call me the bargain bin beauty ros Dresfalas, and I am I have spent years in a thrift store and antique store and.
Speaker 2: All the stuff.
Speaker 3: And people love to tell me all the time that you need to burn some sage around it, you need to light some palo santo, you need to do something to cleanse it of its previous energies.
Speaker 2: And I said, doesn't tell people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do that, and maybe I have once or twice, but I like, I want to just risk it.
Speaker 2: I wanna. I want to. I want to. I want a little bit of that story, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, you know, if I have a bundle of sage around occasionally, I'll you know, light it up and do a stroll around my apartment and say a prayer and an incantation or whatever I think works at that moment. But it's not a it's not a priority for me. I'm not like, yeah, everything has to be good. Well, they might need to be thrown in a washing machine, that's what damn right you do?
Speaker 2: Taro as well.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm dabbling it. I want you know, I'm always so fascinated with all of those things. And I, you know, and I collect tarot cards. Have your own deck, right, I do have my own back, Yeah, I do, and you can. You can purchase them at Raja Gemini dot com. Go to my Instagram. It's in my store there. But yeah, my fascination with tarot came from the first reading I ever had, which was probably nineteen ninety three, and I and I you know, was fascinated and so fans people friends will always buy me different types of terrort and I have quite a collection and a staff that's built up and I love them. I love them for the art and I love them for the guidance. And it's a tool, you know, it's it's a it's tool and it can be fun.
Speaker 2: So you know you view it as like.
Speaker 3: Spirits guiding it or you know, that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: I think, so, yeah, definitely it really it really, Yes, absolutely, I think I think it's just sort of manifesting and inviting it, inviting that concept when you use these tools, you know, So yes, I do believe in that. I do.
Speaker 3: Do you have do you have any stories working at like haunted venues.
Speaker 2: I've been shocked sometimes to hear.
Speaker 3: Like drag performers or nightlight performers tell me stories of like haunted dressing rooms or haunted clubs or things like that.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had anything like that?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say that I've had any incidences that that, uh you know that that I would say was like pretty significant in saying, oh my god, there was a ghost in this one dressing room in this club. But uh, there's definitely moments when I walked into a room or a dressing room or a club where I'm just like, oh shit, wow, something happened here, something, something tells me that, something tells me in my heart, in my bones, in my spirit, you know, you walk in and you get the chills in your And I've even asked club owners as I walked in, I'm like, how old is this building? And they'll tell me and they'll be like, and I'll just ask, I'm like, are there any like moments or stories of ghosts or anything, And they're like, oh yeah. I'm like, I'm like, I fucking knew it. I'm like, you could just tell when you go into a place and you and there's a certain thing in the air, and I don't always know how to describe what that feeling is. It's just it's a presence. It's like you're not alone. You know, you're other than the living people that are obviously there with you. There's definitely other spirits and other there's something there, there's and it almost becomes emotional too, when you walk in and you feel that. Does that happen to you?
Speaker 3: I can't think off the top of my head. I've had more experiences with like theaters than club. I feel like whenever I'm working at a club, I'm always so distracted by so many things, and I'm usually not alone. I feel like it's kind of hard for me to pick up on stuff when I'm around gigantic personalities, like pick up on energies that aren't connected to a human But I.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Jasmine masters, she told me that that place in Orange County, I believe.
Speaker 2: It was called Velvet.
Speaker 3: It was Santa Anna that that that dressing room was known to be very haunted.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I wonder why, I wonder what it was.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Jasmine also smokes a ton of weeds, so you know what I'm saying like, I don't know is it is it just stone or paranoia or.
Speaker 2: I think there might be something to it.
Speaker 3: I think that there's something to smoke and weed and see and ghost. But okay, so do you have any other stories that you'd like to share?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well I don't know. It's kind of well, it's a long story. Well no, it's not. Okay. So when I was living when I was living in Bali, which is where I grew up in Indonesia, there's a particular holiday there called Yee and yet Pee is happens once a year and it is pretty much what would be the Balanese Hindu equivalent to Day of the Dead.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And it is a very respected holiday there. And everyone takes pretty much the week off and you're you're forced to not use electricity, to not use power, to stay off of the streets. It's like a like a like sort of what the pandemic was, a lockdown's lockdown and and there's only certain allotted areas and times of day for prayers and for the ceremonies and rituals that are involved. It's a it's a Hindu holiday, but but the idea behind it is that it is the one time in the year where the spirits return, and and the silence and the quiet is something that's required to not disturb or agitate any negative spirits. I think that's how it works. But I was I was very much a small kid when this, when this happened, and my older sister, Rahana, who was three years older than me, you know, I was probably about six or seven, and my parents decided that that we would we would somehow cheat because my you know, we're pretty much Westerners, like my mom grew up mostly in the US. So she was like, be damned if we can't watch TV and have some air conditioning in this you know, tropical country. So we foiled all the windows like tweakers, uh, put cardboard, you know, and we we pretty much like in the evenings, would lock ourselves into our parents' room and we would we would, you know, because there there was there was there was surveillance and security on the streets that would make sure that people weren't acting up or causing any kind of ruckus or noise or and that they were actually abiding by these particular rules and laws of Pe. So a lot of a lot of expats and uh, you know, non Indonesian people would actually go to hotels and stay during this time and leave their homes and inhabit hotels because that was the only place that where electricity and such was allowed. So anyway, my older sister Rahana and I decided that we were going to sneak out of the room and we were going to go grab something from our bedroom. And and the entire house is dark. Now, if you can imagine Indonesia, this is probably late seventies, early early early eighties, nineteen eighty perhaps, you know, And we were two little kids running around in a very dark house with only the sound of nature around us, including crickets and frogs. And you know, this is Bali. It's lush, so and the sound of nature happening around us. And so we were we stuck into our bedrooms to get whatever toy we wanted. And then we decided we were just going to stay and kind of be rebellious. And so the two of us crawled under our bed and hung out there and we just giggled, you know, you know, like you would do like when you when you create a fort with your cousins or your family members or whatever, and you would just kind of be giggling underneath, you know, the structure, and we were underneath the bed and till today, my sister Rohanna and I will we'll tell this story often, and she's like, she remembers, I remember my mom calling us like what are you guys doing? Get back in here. And so we were like, we were scared shitless. We were like, oh my gosh. And the sound of my mom's voice like shooting through the dark, calling in English, telling us to get back into the room. And so we ran back, you know, we scurried into the room and we were terrified because we were like, oh my gosh, Mom's gonna be so mad at us. And we went into the room and she's like and and we were, you know, tiptoeing in because we didn't want to get in trouble. And we walked in and my mom's like, hey, what took you guys so long? And Rahanna says, well, Mom, didn't you call us? And she's like no, She's like I been sitting here just hanging out. My dad was in the room with her, and Rahana's like, no, we heard you yelling at us to get into the room. She's like nope, not me, wasn't me. So you know, either my mom is lying to us, which I don't think, because my mom is one of those people who's also very aware and intuitive of such things. Until today, you know, decades later, we still tell this story of how whatever entity was in the area didn't want us kids being bad and told us to get back into the fucking room in the dark, and it was terrifying. So there's that story as well.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's always interesting too when I hear these stories where it's like some spirit or whatever is doing an impression of.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, and I and I think that that that does exist. I think that is something that happens quite often, and and that's exactly what this story is about. It. It was something mimicked, you know, my mother's voice to give us the message like, hey, don't fuck around, go get back in there before something gets you.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know if you heard.
Speaker 3: During the it was like very early pandemic, there was the story that people in this village in Indonesia were volunteering as ghosts to oh yes, roll off of the street. They were dressing as ghosts to keep people off of the street. And to keep them inside so if people were wandering out, they would spook them and scare them back into the house so that they wouldn't be spreading COVID.
Speaker 1: That is a real thing. That is a real thing. I remember that, and I and I and I and I saw the image of the ghosts, and I forget what they're called. But the particular way of wrapping dead people there uh looks a lot like how you would roll a joint like there's a knot. There's a knot, there's a knot, or a twist on like that. You would roll the body into a sheet like a burrito, and then you would twist or not the top and bottom where the feet and the head would be, and the only thing that would be left exposed is the face. And that that's kind of like the traditional burial shroud, I suppose. And so I forget what they're calling. They're called wachong or something like that. There's a name for it. But when I saw that article and I saw the image of it, that was something that people that people are actually fearful of. It's because it's really because a lot many many called many parts of Indonesia believe that that spirits will take on a very physical form and and and and not just in the ghost spirit way, but it'll come and get you. So yeah, that's it is p O c O ener g. Yeah, yeah, exactly, that's what it's called. It's called and it's like and they bounce like the hop you know, because they're they're tight in their shrouds and instead of floating the they literally hop and chase you.
Speaker 3: And uh and uh, hey it works.
Speaker 1: I kept the people kept their asses at home. They were like, let's scare them. It's like it's it's equivalent to like, you know, a white sheet, you know, and with two holes in it.
Speaker 3: So sure, can I play some ghost voices?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where'd you find these at?
Speaker 2: Well, let me introduce this little segment real quick. It's time for EVP or ev please, So, Roger, this is what I do.
Speaker 3: I go to YouTube and I look up EVPs.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that is? EVP?
Speaker 3: No, it stands for Electronic voice phenomenal. It's when ghost hunters believe they've captured a ghost speaking could be from any kind of recording device. Really, and uh, there's thousands of clips of this on YouTube, and some of them are EVPs some of them are ev Police and.
Speaker 2: Of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Speaker 3: No, I don't believe they are, but I will. I'll play you two of them and i'll play it for you and then i'll have you guess and I'm gonna give you a multiple choice, and one of them is what these particular ghost hunters believe the ghost is saying.
Speaker 1: So uh.
Speaker 3: Both of these are from a YouTube channel called Team s E r T. And this first one is at Penhurst State School, which I believe is in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, it's kind of sexy. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Tell me if you hear anything here. Okay, I'll play it again. It's like a whisper. There is some background noise, but it's like a whisper.
Speaker 1: All right again, Okay, Okay, I heard hot snatch, hot snatch.
Speaker 3: Let me give you some options because that is not it. No, No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: And I could I could see, you know, a spirit wanting missing some hot snatch and just needing it so.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Is it a you look crunchy? It could be a shady ghost. Is it be balcony? Is it se they all can see ew? Or is it d Carol Channing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Carol Channing. I think you played again.
Speaker 2: Let me hear what were Okay, Okay, now I hear Carol Channing.
Speaker 1: I'm still hearing hot snatch.
Speaker 3: Okay, well they believe it is. They all can see. Wait, that's a creepy thing, like a ghost being, like, oh my god, these ghost hunter people can see us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I could hear I can see yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, this next one.
Speaker 3: So both of these I actually just played at my live Ghosted podcast that I did at Casita del.
Speaker 2: Cane here in La and.
Speaker 3: I this next one is one of the funniest things I've ever found. Maybe it's because I've spent so many hours of my life looking for EVPs and I've never found one quite like this. I don't know if my audience found it as funny as I did, but I happened to be. I happened to stumble upon this jewel and it kills me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The title of this video says, investigator breaks wind and then a ghost says something after the fart that you will hear. And this is at the Elk Lodge in tamac Qua, Pennsylvania, and so you're gonna hear a fart and then resist laughing and listen in for a ghost replying to the fart.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: That's the whole thing. Wait, do it again.
Speaker 3: I think I think that somebody farted and they heard some kind of noise and they are like, damn it, we have to keep the fart in. Also, ps, I played this for Jackie Beat and she she thought that this was like a viral video that was going I'm like, no, Jackie, there's like one hundred and fifteen views on it, and like at least one hundred of them are from me watching this over and over again. It's just a video I found online. But okay, there's a fart and then a ghost saying something allegedly, here we go.
Speaker 1: Noise because because I'm still a junior, a twelve year old, thirteen year old boy in middle school. Oh my god, that that part is epic.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I even hear any words coming from I hear a noise, but I don't know if I hear any words.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I can fart that loud. I don't think. I don't think. I don't think I have enough like passage. I don't have a very I don't. My ass doesn't have a lot of volume, so so there's not a lot of like space for air to pass through to create that that wonderful rattling sound.
Speaker 3: I think that this ghost center just wants to show off that fart. All right, so do you do you have any guesses for what that ghost is saying after that fart?
Speaker 1: It sounds like it was like fart sound then went to like like she sure or.
Speaker 3: Or yeah yeah, like yeahs an unpleased sound. Not approving of that part. Well, let me give you some options. Is it so the fart happens, and then is it a damn that smells bad?
Speaker 2: Is it? B? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could play on it.
Speaker 2: Is it B? I don't like that?
Speaker 3: Is it C it's got a kick to it? Or d who's playing a trumpet? All right, let me play it again and tell me if you hear one of those.
Speaker 1: I think I think it was part sound And they said, Carol Channing.
Speaker 2: They believe it is.
Speaker 1: I don't like that, Oh my god, god.
Speaker 3: Which I kind of here, wait, let me just one more time, all right, here it is.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, they think it's I don't like it or I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I do you think that ghosts, like you know, spirits from another realm, can smell or have any disapproval of human bodily functions.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they can hear, because you know, people will say are you here, and then they reply, So I'm sure they can hear your farts.
Speaker 2: I believe. I have this theory.
Speaker 3: I've said before that I believe that farts are the ghost of food because food has died in your body and it is now coming out in another form.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And so there might they they might appear. It might appear like an actual green cloud to a ghost.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. Wow. So many questions part of.
Speaker 3: The mystery of life and the big secrets, the big questions we ask have you ever been ghost stunting?
Speaker 1: Uh? Not No, not intentionally. I like, you know, Like I said, I spend a lot of time in Provincetown and one of the things that they do is they have a ghost tour that you can hit, a walking tour, and there's a you know, and there's a a guide and she's wearing a cape and she's holding a kerosene lantern and she she guides the people through, you know, for the ambiance and experience. Always wanted to do that. And also I always wanted to go in the ghost tours that they provide on the Hollywood tours, you know, like when you go to Hollywood Bulevard and they have like all these tours for visitors to go see, and they go to specific places that are known to be haunted or certain crimes murders have happened, you know, So those things I've always always wanted to go to.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, it's just a lot of times I feel like like ghostly things don't happen on them. They're fun, especially if you're like on a trip someplace and you want to learn about like the the dark history of the place or whatever. But most of the time I feel that you're not going to see a ghost or a ghost react to your farts or anything like that. But you maybe hear a couple of good stories.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, especially in Hollywood if they you know, they're always telling you that they're going to take you to celebrities home and stuff and you're gonna you might see the celebrity, but you probably won't, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, Raja, you have been a true dream. You've been a dream guest for a while. I mean, we have a billion mutual friends, and I'm always weird about like asking friends to like hook me up with their friends.
Speaker 2: But I've I've just waited for the right moment. I happened to you know what you know and to you you.
Speaker 1: Know what that's called. It's called what networking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose I love it.
Speaker 3: I love a good network, but I don't want to be like, hey, can you like give me your friend's number or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just like weird. So I've just like waited for the right time.
Speaker 3: I told myself one day, I'm gonna run into Raja, and if it comes up, it comes up, because you've been a dream guest for a long time and you've made my dream come true.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I believe. I believe in timing. I believe that you know, when we meet people at certain times and finally get to reach out and have the conversations we are or whatever, when you just you know, get to what you know it is what it is, and timing is everything. So we just happened to run in to each other and we're Marys the other afternoon and here we are together talking about paranormal activities.
Speaker 2: So can you tell people where to find you?
Speaker 1: You can find me at my Instagram. It's at sutan am Roll, which is my birth name, and usually Instagram will tell you. Instagram is really kind of the only thing I use now. I don't use Facebook as much anymore, if ever, but yeah, that'll tell you where I'm at, where I'm touring, and you can find my merch you can. You know, we'll certainly be advertising and showcasing this conversation that we're having now on my Instagram. So thank you.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget the pod.
Speaker 1: Just tell people my podcast very that Yep, it's part of the mom podcast team, which was created through Willem and Alaska and Big Dipper and when one of the great joys of my week is to get to record my podcast with Delta, so pay attention to.
Speaker 2: The joys my week too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And other than that, yeah, that's pretty much and still fashion photo review once in a while, trying to wean myself a little bit off.
Speaker 2: Of that on YouTube, right, Yeah, yeah, not weaning.
Speaker 1: Myself off, but I just think that there's a room for other queens. So I'm enjoying seeing people like Nikki Doll and Alexis Matteo participate in the process. But I still do that and yeah, there's various things that I do.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Well, Raja, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Thank you for having me. This was such a fun conversation.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to Raja. Oh that was magical. If you want to hear a little bit extra, go to patreon dot com slash razz blesa my second tier. You can hear me talking to Raja about various explain phenomenal. And this week I also posted a video on my first hear of me talking about well, it's a video of me and my experience at Elvira's auction. Alvira, my idol, Cassandra Peterson auctioned off a bunch of iconic stuff and you'll see my experience with that in that video. You know, it's something I should point out. I took off Thanksgiving, and I the week before I told you that I was gonna take off Thanksgiving, and then I started getting all these messages and people in the Facebook group.
Speaker 2: And dming me and emailing me, where are you? Are you okay?
Speaker 3: I hope something bad didn't happen to you. And I told you I was gonna be gone for just a week, and so I'm fine. I'm back, obviously, and I did post a full length episode on Patreon. But I'm gonna be doing the same exact thing over the holidays. I'll be doing it the thirtieth, the last weekend or last Thursday of December. I will also be taking off the week from this main feed. So you have been warned. I will be fine. You will be fine, and I appreciate that you guys care about me so much. Please be subscribed to the show and rate it five stars. Wherever you rate a podcast five stars and tell your friends about it. Join our Facebook group called Ghosted by rozdres Fales, send me some stories at ghosted by razatgmail dot com, or in a five star review on Apple Podcasts. I'm on Instagram at roz Hernandez cameos. Those are a great gift for Christmas time. I'm on there at Roz dres Vales. And that's enough out of me.
Speaker 2: I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me. Came Back Star bands are a podcast a podcast network mm HM