Speaker 1: Hey there, welcome to Growing Up with Emily, a Lingo kids podcast. It helps kids discover how to be whatever they want to be growing up Well fo side, bowing up side. Hey Winson. Do you know what it means to go undercover?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know, Emily, to hide underneath the comforter.
Speaker 1: Not quite, but we'll find out today as we explore the world of detectives.
Speaker 2: Where is it? I can't find it anywhere. Maybe someone moves it down here on the floor.
Speaker 1: Hey Winston, Oh uh.
Speaker 2: Hi Emily, and a happy birthday.
Speaker 1: Thanks Winston. You remembered, But why did you say it like that? And why are you down under the table with a magnifying glass? Well, oh, come on, Winston, what is it?
Speaker 2: Well? I made you a birthday cake?
Speaker 1: Emily Winston, you made me a cake. Oh that's so sweet. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's gone. I put it right here on your desk and now it's nowhere to be found. Did you move it? No?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it. Do you think someone else took it?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but that's why I'm looking for clues. I'm a detective.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, let me help you. Can you describe the cake?
Speaker 2: Well, It's big and covered in chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles. I spent all morning putting it together for you too. It was gonna be a surprise.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but you know it's the thought that counts. And don't worry, it'll show up. We'll just do some detective work.
Speaker 2: Like you said, Oh, maybe we should put on those cool detective hats like Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 1: Well, we sometimes think of detectives wearing hats and carrying magnifying glasses. It's true, but those things are more like symbols for the work that detectives.
Speaker 2: Do you mean they don't use magnifying glasses in real life.
Speaker 1: They use them in the past, yes, but today detectives rely on technology to help them with visual clues like CCTV cameras, and they may have to go undercover too.
Speaker 2: Wait, detectives have to go underneath the covers like to hide. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: What I said was actually undercover like the detective Sherlock Holmes. He's not a real person, by the way, but when he wanted information from someone, he'd go to all the lengths, like noting on people's doors dressed as a plumber, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's clever. But what about real life detectives? Do they wear disguise as to Emily.
Speaker 1: They most certainly do whencon But these days, detectives use a lot of different techniques to find clues and solve crimes.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a detective technique that could help me find your birthday cake?
Speaker 1: It's possible. There are many tools detectives used to collect evidence or clues. One of those ways is called forensics for and what now forensics Whinson. That's information detectives find at crime scenes, like footprints, fingerprints, or tiny fibers from someone's clothing. This kind of evidence can be inspected in a lab. It gives information about who committed a crime.
Speaker 2: We have a lab, Do you think we could gather some evidence? Maybe someone came in and took the cake when we were looking dot don who huh wait? Check this out?
Speaker 1: What is it? Winston?
Speaker 2: Rainbow sprinkles from the cake and there's a whole rainbow trail.
Speaker 1: Seems like a sure clue to me. Let's follow them. Maybe they'll lead us to the cake or whoever took it, the suspect.
Speaker 2: The sprinkles go all the way to the doggy door. Emily and outside, and is this what I think it is?
Speaker 1: Emily, tiny chocolate handprints.
Speaker 2: Wait, do you think a dog got in through the little door and took the cake? Well?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, Winston. They don't look like dog paws at all. These little prince have five fingers.
Speaker 2: But they're so teeny tiny. There's no way these are human hand prince. Emily, They're a bit like claus Hmmm, very curious.
Speaker 1: Indeed, let's keep looking for more evidence.
Speaker 2: Yiesh I wish I had more detective experience. How do detectives learn how to solve mysteries? So?
Speaker 1: Well? Anyway, Emily, Well, most detectives go to college to study criminal justice, where they learn about laws, crime, the court system, and psychology. These classes help them puzzle clues together and make sense of them.
Speaker 2: I wonder if some of the earliest detectives had to learn all these things on their own, Emily, I mean before there were colleges that taught that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Nactually, one of the first detectives was the famous Kate Warren. She was also the first known female detective in the USA. She used to change her name, wear wigs, and dress up as different characters. And then she would snoop around trying to get important information from people. What do you think should we go back in time and watch Kate on the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do some of our own undercover snooping.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna travel all the way back to Actually, I'm going to let you do a bit of detective work yourself to try and figure out where and when we are.
Speaker 2: Ooh, a detective challenge. I like it.
Speaker 1: Okay, but first, let's put on some disguises. I'll put on this big silk evening gown It's what women would wear back then.
Speaker 2: And I'll wear this black chimney sweep outfit. It's all dirty and covered in soot and ashes.
Speaker 1: You'll fit right in Winston. Chimney sweep was a common job back then. We should also bring some tools with us that detectives would have used at the time.
Speaker 2: Huh, magnifying glass, Sure.
Speaker 1: Let's take one. Yes, We'll also bring some measuring tape in case we have to measure footprints. Oh, and bring a pencil and a pad of paper so we can take notes and make sketches that could help us out.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, I've got it all perfect.
Speaker 1: Let's get to it then.
Speaker 2: Well, look at the horses and the carts with the huge wheels.
Speaker 1: Those are carriages. They don't have cars here because they haven't been invented yet.
Speaker 2: That gives me a clue about the time period we traveled back to Emily, but I don't want to make a guess just yet. Definitely more than one hundred years I've had.
Speaker 1: What jol said, Oh my goodness, that was close. And yes, you're spot on. It is more than one hundred years ago.
Speaker 2: How do you know that, Well, because I know the cars with motors were used a lot in the early nineteen hundreds, and everyone here is still using horse carriages.
Speaker 1: Very good, mister detective. Let's go find the house I wanted to take you too.
Speaker 2: Whoa, these streets make me walk all wildly. The road feels like it's made of big round stones.
Speaker 1: That's because the roads are made of cobblestones. They're quite different to the smooth streets we're used to back cult Well.
Speaker 2: It would take forever to get places if you had to walk on cobblestones all day ow.
Speaker 1: Well, another important scale a detective has is patients. Sometimes they have to wait for hours and hours before these spots someone they're looking for, right patients?
Speaker 2: How long will that take? I mean, I guess you're right, Emily, I do need to be more patient.
Speaker 1: We're almost there, So any ideas about what year we're in?
Speaker 2: Well, I noticed the guy down the street is lighting oil lanterns, right, and that newspaper in the gutter said something about going to war with the South.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a big hint.
Speaker 2: So it's gotta be around the Civil War.
Speaker 1: Yep, you've got some real detective skills, Whinstin. This is Baltimore in the year eighteen sixty one, right at the start of the Civil War. Here we are. Come with me over to this big red brick house, the one with the candles in the windows. Let's peek in, but try to be sneaky about it so that no one inside sees us.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Emily, why are those ladies in this house making so much noise? It sounds like they're having a party.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a party. Yeah, But what else do you notice about them? Whinston, Take a look at their body language and their faces.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't look very happy, and if this is a party, most of them are kind of frowning. And that lady by the fireplace is bawling up her fists really to like she's angry.
Speaker 1: Good observation, Winston. Actually, most of the women here really dislike Abraham Lincoln. He was the president at the time, from eighteen sixty one to eighteen sixty five.
Speaker 2: Whoa why did they hate the president?
Speaker 1: Well, they don't like how he's running the country, so they're protesting. They want to get him kicked out of the White House.
Speaker 2: Oh what about her, the one standing in the corner with the gloves on. She doesn't look very upset. In fact, she's kind of looking around the room like we are, Like she's trying to figure out how everybody else feels. Wow, you are good.
Speaker 1: That's Detective Kate Warren Winston, and she's here working undercover.
Speaker 2: Oh well, what's she doing, Emily? Is she spying?
Speaker 1: Yes, these protesters are hatching a plan to get rid of President Lincoln, so Kate's pretending to join in that way, she can learn all about their plans and try to stop them.
Speaker 2: Pretty smart, Emily, Pretty smart, yep.
Speaker 1: And she's doing it all without the help of telephones, computers, or the internet. She's got to remember everything she sees and hears and write it down as clues for leader.
Speaker 2: Oh and now Kate suddenly smiling and laughing with that lady who was just upset by the fireplace.
Speaker 1: She sure is. She's trying to get that lady to trust her so that she can get information out of her.
Speaker 2: Oh how did detectives get people to trust them, Emily.
Speaker 1: Well, just like Kate, they try to get to know people by watching them, chatting with them, learning about what interests them, and taking note of everything like what their daily schedule is, where they go and what they do, and what their body language is. Like.
Speaker 2: Well, that's kind of intense. So like if I was a detective and I found out you liked football, I would learn every there is to know about football.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Kate had to learn all about politics at the time. She had to earn people's trust so that they tell her valuable information. She had to be friendly, good at asking the right questions and listening. Can you guess how she began her career as a detective.
Speaker 2: Well, if she's good at being sneaky and pretending to be other people, maybe she was an actress or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good guess, Vincent. But actually, when she was only twenty three years old, she walked right into the Pinkerton Agency and asked for a job as a detective. She was very direct.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and what did the boss say?
Speaker 1: He hired her on the spot, and he was happy he did because she actually ended up saving President Lincoln's life.
Speaker 2: Really, well, how'd she do that? Oh, it looks like we're.
Speaker 1: About to find out. Kate's on the move. Let's follow her.
Speaker 2: Oh, I bet she's on her way to one President Link. Now she's knocking on the door across the street. I bet I can guess who lives there. It's President Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yep. Kate is telling Lincoln his life is in danger. And now they're escaping in disguise.
Speaker 2: Wait, who are they dressed up as Emily?
Speaker 1: Well, Kate and Lincoln are pretending to be brother and sister. Lincoln's acting like he's sick and she's caring for him.
Speaker 2: It's like a scene from a movie. They're so convincing. Wow. Being a detective can kind of be stressful, but it's also a lot of fun to look for clues and to go under cover.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of, we got to get back and find more clues about where my cake went.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well let's do it. Emily, back in the lab again and back on the case.
Speaker 1: And it's time to use our detective skills to locate that birthday cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So far, we know there's a trail of rainbow sprinkles coming from.
Speaker 1: The kitchen, and we also found those tiny chocolatey handprints with five little fingers.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well we should go next door and ask your neighbor, miss Pierce some questions. Maybe she saw someone take the cake.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, good idea, Winston. I think she's gardening in her backyard right.
Speaker 2: Now, Emily, there's cake crumbs all around the rose bush.
Speaker 1: And the crumbs lead to the hole in that tree.
Speaker 2: Well, should we take a look?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Can you see inside the tree? Winston.
Speaker 2: I'm trying, Emily, I'm trying, Emily. Oh my gosh, you're never gonna believe this.
Speaker 1: Wait what is it? Oh? Wow? Oh adorable.
Speaker 2: It's a raccoon and a whole little litter up baby raccoons. How cute they are?
Speaker 1: O and satisfied by the looks of them. They've got chocolate all over their little hands and faces.
Speaker 2: I bet the mama raccoons smelled my cake came in through the doggie door and brought it out to share it and feed it with her babies.
Speaker 1: I should have known, Winston. Raccoons are known to be pretty mischievous creatures.
Speaker 2: Oh he's too cute. Did you do and if we weren't the ones to eat your birthday cake? I'm glad it was that, Emily, me too.
Speaker 1: And then it went to a good cause. And now we've solved our first case. Maybe we should start a detective agency. It's so much fun finding evidence with you.
Speaker 2: Hey, that sounds like a plan to me. Emily, And after all that hunting, I think we both deserve a big slice of birthday cake. What do you say?
Speaker 1: Ooh yes, please, Winston. But maybe we should make a new one. It looks like yours is almost gone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a good idea. I'll get the ingredients and meet you in the lab, I mean the kitchen.
Speaker 1: That's all the time we have for today. Thanks so much for joining us as detectives. If you pay close attention to the details and ask lots of questions, you'll be able to solve mysteries and puzzles too. Until next time, See you later, Hey, Winston, are you curious for more, check out Lingo Kids, the number one learning app for kids. They have a ton of original games and videos and songs that are fun, educational and can help boost your math, reading and literacy skills. Download the Lingo Kids app and give it a try for free.
Speaker 2: Space studies in either and then stand stages are interpendated by data of