Speaker 1: All right, let's get right into it. It's been a hell of a week for our man, Dylan Brooks. The last time we talked, the Memphis Grizzlies had been eliminated and Dylan Brooks wanted somewhere to be extended, and there were talks about whether that would happen. And now we know for sure that the Memphis Grizzlies will not be extending Dylan Brooks. Why do we know that because according to Sham's on Tuesday, under no circumstances would the Grizzlies be bringing back Dylan Brooks next year.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: Well, So the question though at this point is why under no circumstances? And who did Sean's get the information from? Because on one side you have the agents getting very upset, and then on the other side you've got the Memphis Grizzlies getting upset. No more Dylan Brooks in Memphis. So first of all, we got a whole bunch of out that's coming out. The Grizzlies felt that it was very unprofessional that the Grizzlies would say that about a current player, which his agent fairly believes that it tanked Dylan Brooks's market for him.
Speaker 2: Nothing says you are more disposable.
Speaker 1: Than your current team, saying, under no circumstances will we bring you back. Uh. It was also reported by Ramona Shelburn after that that Brooks was looking for twenty five million a year, Bill Simmons, Kendrick Perkins, others. They came after the Grizzlies very hard. Perkins tweeted, Yeah, y'all can laugh all in joke all you want. I don't see a damn thing funny when it comes down to how Memphis handled the player that gave his all to that organization for three years. Exclamation and exclamation, exclamation, exclamation.
Speaker 2: Is not what you do, it's how you do it. Real talk.
Speaker 1: So yeah, everybody's pissed. No one is more pissed than Brooks's agent, Mike Georges. He tweeted out this, which I thought was wild, Sean Scharanya, the leader of reading false news and attacking players. Why any player in the league talks to this guy blows my mind. This sounds like Jimmy Butler's agent that got really mad at Shaw's like two years ago. This little tempest in a teapot reached its peak when JJ Reddick decided to fill in for Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith and give his best Stephen A.
Speaker 3: Smith impression, making Dylan Brooks the scapegoat. But whoever put that language and approve that language in the tweet, Yeah, that person wants to make Dylan Brooks the scapegoat. The reality is Grizzlies have other problems besides Dylan Brooks, and whether they choose to bring them back or don't choose, or you know, whatever it may be. I can't remember a time in my now seventeen years, either being in the NBA or covering the NBA where we're in the second round of the playoffs, the day of a game where two of the greatest players ever are getting ready to square off and we're just tweeting out things for engagement, like, is that where we're at? Is that where? Actually? You know what? I'd be willing to bet.
Speaker 2: I would be willing to bet that it wasn't the Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: I don't know who was actually because the Grizzlies I wasn't from us. We don't like this bringing a lot of hit on our organization. The agents like this guy's a clown.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: All I know is that Sham's is a highly sourced reporter, so he got it from somebody. He does not come out with statements without a rock solid, short source.
Speaker 2: So whoever gave him.
Speaker 1: That inside info, I doubt we'll ever find out, But JJ Reddick do not come after Sean Sharan is integrity. The bigger question, though, is now that this is all said and done and the dust has settled, where does Dylan Brooks end up. It's not Memphis, given that the controversy. Is his career actually damaged by this news about the Grizz not wanting him back?
Speaker 2: The answer is maybe.
Speaker 1: Short answer, he will one hundred percent sign with the team next year. Will it be for the amount that he turned down, which was eighteen million dollars per year?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: He might get somewhere closer to eleven or twelve, which would be Dylan Brooks doing a Dentis shooter impressionation. Impressionation, that's what kind of day we are in impression and an impersonation. And I'm sure he's going to likely help his next team a lot. I'm hearing Sacramento Portland, you know, the team that I haven't heard that I think would be an awesome fit for Dylan Brooks, team that needs defense, a team that has a plethora of shooters already, well, at least a couple of shooters that you can rely on in Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncicic.
Speaker 2: Just Dallas.
Speaker 1: I think Dallas would be an interesting spot for him. All three of those teams need defense. I think the MAVs are the best fit. Also Houston, I think em Udoka would love the competitiveness of Dylan Brooks. He would take Dylan Brooks and mold him into his Marcus Smart and make him the leader in the firebrand of the defense. As for Memphis, what are they gonna do? That's a big question. So you've already jettisoned him. You've given yourself no options in case. You have no other wing to find. So you gotta put your eggs in the og An Andobie sweepstakes and maybe the Jeremy Grant sweepstakes probably.
Speaker 2: Would help the Grizzlies a lot either one of those guys.
Speaker 1: That is the problem though, with publicly cutting ties with Dylan Brooks, you have no options. He plays a position that's very hard to replace. Are you gonna replace Dylan Brooks with Luke Cannart full time. It's a very in demand position. You got maybe go after Dorian Finney Smith, Maybe go after Cam Johnson, Jeremy Gant Grant. Maybe you bring back Jake Crowder as well. Jake Crowder is a very good defensive player. He didn't like his role in Milwaukee. Guys who can play two A defense and hit a three. Everybody wants a three and D player. I think the Grizzlies are gonna have to regret how things worked out with them and Dylan Brooks because he was.
Speaker 2: The longest tenured Grizzly there.
Speaker 1: And let's face it, he is not the reason that the Memphis Grizzlies flamed out.
Speaker 2: He was one of the reasons. But let's not act like the.
Speaker 1: Whole Ja Morant situation didn't happen. The bottom line is that Draymond Green is a fucking oracle. What did he say? He said two months ago? The dynasty starts after you, not with you. Not the last year'll hear of Dylan brookstill in the villain. It is the last ye'll hear of him in Grizzlies uniform. One of the biggest storylines coming out of Game one of the Lakers Warriors series besides the fact that the Warriors lost two games in a row at Chase is the massive discrepancy in free throws.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Being like, oh, the Lakers getting all the best whistles.
Speaker 2: And they are.
Speaker 1: They led the NBA in free throw attempts this year. That should not surprise anyone. Lebron James after that terrible call Jason Tatums slashing his arm, and from then on they were the had the best whistle in the league. But Game one very interesting. Lakers shot twenty nine free throws and the Warriors shot six.
Speaker 2: Let's say that again.
Speaker 1: The Lakers shot twenty nine free throws, the Warriors shot six. The Lakers went twenty five for twenty nine from the line, and that was pretty much what held them to keep their lead, which is a hilarious stat in part because it is It's absolutely glorious to hear Warriors fans complain. One of my favorite things are for Warriors fans to understand what it means to like play against the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Let's finally finally get it.
Speaker 1: Has anybody seen such a discrepancy before?
Speaker 2: What is this injustice?
Speaker 1: It's like that, that's like what it means to play the Warriors every year.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Like you congratulations, Now you know how other people feel.
Speaker 2: Uh. And here's the funny thing, Like the Warriors didn't even get that bad of a whistle.
Speaker 1: They just hit all their shots off the perimeter, and the Lakers did all their damage in the paint.
Speaker 2: So it's really hard to get to the line when you're shooting fifty three threes. Fifty three fifty.
Speaker 1: Percent of the Warrior's shots came from beyond the arc. Steph Curry even knows this. Postgame, he took responsibility for the disparity, says, yeah, Shooter gets ten free throws.
Speaker 2: That can't happen.
Speaker 1: Whether we think it's a foul or not, we put ourselves in that situation. If so facto, he does not think that Shrewder deserved ten free dooes. Well, I have to talk about playoff Shooter because he's a different beast. He's like little baby Rondo out there the second coming. But Steph's points very clear. The Lakers are going to continue to attack and attack and attack the paint, and the Warriors need to be smarter about taking those baits and Draymond Green just needs to play better, and he needs to play more often.
Speaker 2: Conversely, we won't.
Speaker 1: Get a ton of free throws when you only drive to the paint twenty eight times. Warriors average thirty eight drives a game in the regular season, and they only had twenty eight in Game one. So yeah, even if Dubbs fans are irate about it is this happened all year. According to Cleaning the Glass, the Lakers led the league in frequency of shots at the rim, and of course that means they're probably gonna shoot a lot of free throws. People point to Austin Reeves his incredible jumping free throws this year as the proof that the Lakers get every whistle, but he's also doubled the amount number of free throw attempts this year, and that does kind of seem a little suss until you realize his free throw rate is actually lower than his last year at Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: He has always gotten to the line. That is what he does. So although we know.
Speaker 1: That referee bias is real, and although I would love the Warriors to feel what it means to get a bad whistle, this is not the series where the gap is gonna change and That does not mean that the Warriors are getting fucked over. But if our dubs, I tell you what, don't get to the line twelve fifteen times a game, it's gonna be hard to beat those Lakers.
Speaker 2: It really is