Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome into a new week of Texans All Access, a Monday edition from the UNDA Texans Radio studio. John and Mark with you. Mark. Another day of practice, a sweltering one out the Houston Methis Training Center. But we got through it. Now we got Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Yeah, I'm doing great, Johnny eleven on eleven stuff today in full pads was fun to watch. It was tough for the offense to get stuff going. I like the physical play. I think it was more of what we've seen in that we're seeing the defense make a lot of plays here, making their presence felt. We talk about the talent level on that side of the ball all the time, not that there's not talent on the offensive side of the ball, but defense still ahead of the offense as far as I can see it right now, and we're still waiting for that electrifying offensive practice. We've seen some lightning bolts, but I'm waiting for the storm.
Speaker 1: There have been a couple times, You're right, lightning bolts for sure, all right. In hockey, they do this thing called three Stars. After a win, they give out three star three stars of the game, like one two three, two, one, and they they come and they skate out, and third star is Marcell Dion and he comes out here. You second star, you know, Jacques LaPlante.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know.
Speaker 1: Then it's Wayne Gretzky starting number one. So that's what we're gonna do. Three stars that we've seen through the first five days of practice. And I don't care who you pick.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 1: You could pick Cam Johnson because Cam has been hitting some tags, so you could pick Cam Johnston. But we're each picking three stars from the first five days of practice. Okay, you want to go first or second, I'll go first. Okay, go ahead, Okay, I'll go defense. I'll go linebacker. And you know where I'm going with this one.
Speaker 2: Dude, Blake Cashman, Yes, Blake Cashman, the former New York Jet had injury problems there, came over here last year. I think it was backed up a little last year as well at the beginning, but he got in there and he made his reence felt.
Speaker 1: And he's one of those linebackers.
Speaker 2: Look, we haven't done our full No one's talking about this guy Guy and impossible not to ignore Guy Guy Awards in the morning, and we will get to that. I'm sure because we're still relatively early in these training camp morning shows.
Speaker 1: Actually, how early are we? We're four in.
Speaker 2: We're almost halfway through, my goodness, but Blake Cashman had to pick on Sunday, how to pick on Monday, how to knock down on Sunday. The guy is making all sorts of plays. I feel like he's got a really great grasp of this, so in practice it's not easy for him, but he's making plays. He's finding ways to make plays. And the linebacking corps is pretty thick here, particularly since you're only gonna play two guys for seventy eighty percent of the time because you're a nickel all the time. Blake Cashman is going to make it a really tough cut. I think he makes this team, but that means names, you know, have got to go. So I don't know how it's all gonna shake out, but that's my first start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you, you know what, I'm gonna follow you up with a linebacker. And I didn't get a chance to watch him completely today in pads, but I did see him pop a couple times, and that tells me something. And he's running with the ones too, which is pretty impressive. Henry Toatoa. There's a play today Monday toss play Damian Pierce to the right side right. I can't remember what kind of concept it was. I don't know if his pin and pull or outside zone like, I don't know, but there's all kinds of chaos. And so he's at the mic backer, so he's right over the center and this play hits wide to the right, to his left, and I'm telling you, he somehow. I saw this up on the I saw it live. I'm like, Totoa tagged off on him, sent to tackling. Where did he come from? Like, wait, he's at mike backer right now. So I look up on the video board and I watched the play again. I'm like, holy cow, he just hell bent, just straight lined it through all the chaos somehow didn't hit anybody found. It was like it was like a path just opened up and he's followed it and banged right at the end of that path was Damian Pierce the football and he tagged off on him, and I thought, whoa, that was impressive. And he's done that a number of times where the speed gets there, he gets guys lined up I'm going Henry toto. I'm going to another rookie a little bit later, unless you steal him, which you can, but I'm not telling you who it is. But Henry TOTOA has been all kinds of impressive. I don't know what this means, whether he starts, whether he's just special teams, whatever, but I'll tell you this, he's making an impact on his team this year in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'm gonna go next, going to the offensive side. We can bounce around here, okay, And I'm gonna go with a familiar name.
Speaker 1: But bear with me.
Speaker 2: Damian Pierce, all right, And I know, oh the running the running lanes haven't been there all the time without pads, with pads, it's Damian Pierce.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get his just.
Speaker 2: Waight lights go on, slight sliver of daylight type hole. He runs through it and creates a bigger one and makes an impression on the defender whoever decides to meet him. The angry run specialist, Damian Pierce. But I bring him up because I got a feeling in this offense they're gonna be throwing him the ball. And I'm not saying ten times a game, Johnny. But it's gonna come in handy, especially if you're playing a young quarterback. If you know what I mean, You're gonna swing it out to Pierce. He is gonna make plays in space. I know they are making well. They haven't told me, but I can see it with my own eyes, a concerted effort to get him the ball in the passing game. Get them the ball so we can match up on safeties and whoever else might try to cover him on the edge and just make Hey that way instead of having to pound his body between the tackles all the time like he did last year. This is gonna be fun to watch Damian Pierce through the air.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want the class of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with that same class, and I'm going with former second round. I'm gonna go Jalen Petrie. I think he's playing football now at a level he didn't even approach his rookie I know it's training camp. I get it. That's kind of the point we're picking our three stars of training camp. He is around the football all the time. There's no better way to put it. He reads it, he sees it he goes today. There's so many plays today. And by the way, first day in pads, he's miked up. So we'll have the micd up for you, Houston Texas dot Com. I don't know, I know our guys in the in the in the video department will put that together. SuDS and the guys up there will have something great. So it may not be today, but just be on the lookout for it. Jalen Petrie micdup is gonna be awesome. It's just because it's Jalen. But they ran zone read. It's the first time I've seen the offense run a true zone read and CJ kept it. They're down on the goal line and CJ kept it the first time I've seen it five days, the first time I've seen them run zone read. And the defense is pretty much fooled except for one guy. He Jalen Petrie is right there. He watches and I Stroud the whole way locks in and as CJ starts to run, Jalen is literally tagging off on his hip two yards deep in the backfield. I just I'm floored. But he has made every play you could possibly make. He is so in command of his game. He has become a leader. I think the guys love him. I thought it was interesting being in Dallas for Big twelve media days and I've known this, but to actually see it in play. When I mentioned I was with the Texans, Oh, how's Jalen?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: The love Baylor people had for Jalen was unbelievable. And when I asked, you know, I just go there and I'm just trying to give whatever interviews I can. I know Dan Holgerson, so it's easy enough to get an interview with him. I don't know David Andertll. I've never met him, but I went to the Baylor sid and I met him at pro day and I just asked him. I said, is there any way that I could get couch youran to talk about Jalen Petrie. Absolutely, I'll make it happen like it was Jalen Petrie. It wasn't just to talk. He was getting get him to talk about Jayen Petrie. And I asked coach one question. He gave me five minutes, I mean, and we talked afterwards. He is playing at a level right now that I don't remember even seeing play as a rookie. You know it means a rookie. There's so many things going on. I just can't wait to see what he and Jimmy Ward are doing together. But I'm gonna go Jayalen Petrie all right, my third guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Look, we've all heard about Tank Dell, and for good reason. Tank looks really good out there. We talked about his professionalism this morning.
Speaker 1: Yep. But I'm gonna point to another rookie here. Oh, you're stealing my guy. Sorry, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Xavier Hutchinson has been impossible to ignore. This player has made lots of plays in camp so far. I'm talking deep balls, I'm talking nice patterns. This is a player who caught one hundred and seven passes last year. He averaged almost ten catches per game, and it wasn't like it was all short stuff. He is a player and he's gonna be one in this league. I don't know how he fits in how many I can't make all those predictions, but it's a no brainer that he survives the cut, that he's on the squad, and we'll see how he fits in ultimately. I love that he and Tank are two and three in the NCAA last year. In receptions and you have these really productive guys on your team and they're showing why this is.
Speaker 1: Football to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tougher level of football, there's no doubt it's a pro level. But he's out there playing football, Johnny and learning this offense and running crisp, precise routes, good hands.
Speaker 1: I love Xavier Hutchinson. Show me more Sunday one on ones. Deep ball touchdown today, Mills route, which is one of my favorite routes. And it's not named Mills because of Davis Mills. It's named Mills because it was Ernie Mills back at Florida that ran it Florida who started this with spurry or you gotta dig with a post and if they're in cover three, if the safety bites to dig, throw the post. He stayed with the post. Throw a dig. It's perfect right against cover three and Xavier're wide open. Touchdown. Now he would not have had that touchdown if we're playing real football because my star number three. Now this seems easy, but if I'm being true to it, stars in camp, we've got to mention Will Anderson Jr. Have to he.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how to say this other than those people that were arguing, who's bad value has to the draft? You gave him ask you're talking in theory about assets and liabilities and things. We're talking about a dude that's going to impact this football team. It already he already has. But from the time he sets foot on the field wearing number fifty one jersey in a game going forward, he will leave an impact on this team everything that he does. We have not had a dynamic defender like him in a long time. A long time, let's just say that, a long time. It has been a while since we've had a guy like this. And on that throw to Hutchinson, will beat the tackle so badly he basically bulled him off the line, shocked him and then immediately just yanked him to the ground, ripped through it and got around him and was tagging off on a quarterback. I think it was Davis tagging off on the quarterback, and the quarterback still took two shuffle steps to throw the bout to Hutchinson. It would have been a definite sack. But his power, his explosiveness, whether he's playing inside, whether he's playing outside, he has just been all that in the bag of chips again it's training camp. But I don't know that I've seen a guy impact from day one, like where I've just looked back. Whoa wow, I don't think I've ever do I not here? I mean, I mean even like if you go back to JJ in twenty eleven, like you could see JJ could play, but he didn't see that impact. You didn't see the yes this early.
Speaker 2: I mean you saw some yeah, but what you saw in training camp with Watt, as I recall, was him batting down everything he's able to get all the right all those batdowns right, great ball sense, ball skills, all that, and it was very notable. But the pass rush stuff came along as we got to the postseason at twenty eleven. And what did you say about Will Anderson and Monday Morning Show? You said, this is a big day for Will in pads. We'll see what he does. Well, you saw what he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw what he did and it was it was pretty darn impressive, no doubt, also impressive. The General JOm McClain, what did you have to say this morning? We asked him about all things going on with the Texans and the NFL.
Speaker 2: We've been here for all the coaches. Of course, some coaches say a little bit less about rookies. Tamiko Ryans, He'll talk about anybody you know behind closed doors.
Speaker 1: He's coaching them hard. He's got Bran.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't acknowledge a rookie, Yeah, he use the drop Ben rookies, No nothing, And if you ask him about a player, you talk about a position.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: I'm doing a column on Tank and I got a call him up right now CJ. Stroudsports Radio six ten dot com, and I can't wait to get Tank out there. I think we've been requesting him a long time. They're worried about what he's going to say because he's pretty outspoken. He's funny, he's honest, and I love it. I did a column on him for Gallery Sports when we were at the Combat and about how much he wanted to be drafted.
Speaker 3: By the Texans, and I said, well.
Speaker 5: You know, the odds are against that, but he really wanted to do it because Houston's has adopted town and he's pumped.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 5: I'm sure y'all saw those videos his workout guru put out about him all through the offs, through the time off, he ain't taking time off and doing working and doing the ropes. He was working his tail off. He's the only receiver they got who's capable of scoring every time he touches the ball, and I just want to see him get his hands on the ball because with his quickness, his speed, you know his size. They listed him five to ten, he's five eight. He didn't he didn't grow two inches since the combine.
Speaker 3: But he's so quick. He reminds me of like a nat.
Speaker 1: In a good way. General who's gonna lead the team in receptions?
Speaker 5: I think Robert Woods, well, a lot of people think Dalton Schultz.
Speaker 3: I just think that Woods will have a.
Speaker 5: Connection off the field that he's been working on since Stroud got here, that Stroud's gonna feel really comfortable with him and knows that in clutch situations, Tinkdale, John Maggie, Xavier Hutchinson, they may not be in the right spot. You know, they don't have a lot of experience. He'll know, Robert Woods, if he's supposed to be ten yard out, he'll be a ten yard out, not a nine and a half or ten and a half. If he's supposed to cut right, he'll cut right, not left. And I remember Warren Moon used to say with the Oilers, he had so many receivers that would they might run it right and they might not. So he always knew Drew Hill was going to do it exactly right. And I remember I think about that with Robert Woods second year removed from that torn ECL just turned thirty one. I'm really fired up about him because I heard such great things about him from the Rams and then the Titans last year, even though he was coming off that torn ACL and came back before six months. I think the Texans is going to see the best that he's got to give.
Speaker 1: General the quarterbacks, the three of them, I said, case Keenum has kind of gone into gunslinger mode. We've seen good and bad from Davis and from CJ. How what do you make of the three quarterbacks and how they've looked thus far seemingly because there's no pads on, can't we talk about the big guys. Let's talk about the quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: The I mean, we all know Straud's going to be the starter, and yesterday was the first time when we've asked Amiko about him and we've not brought up He's not gone into the other quarterbacks. I told him when he came in here. We got Stroud coming when he did ask you about Strout, so we asked him about Stroud. He's really good talking about him. He's been talking about will Anderson all the time like that, but Stroud he's been careful. They want Stroud to separate themselves from Mills, and he's getting there. And so Dimiko, what he said about him was impressive in every way.
Speaker 3: And Stroud missed. Everybody miss his passes.
Speaker 5: I see a lot of time look at I look around the league, and if some quarterback highly rated has a bad throw, the media acts like he's not gonna be any good. You know, all of them are gonna have bad throws, and they don't care. They want what they want to see. Draw Johnson, then Bobby Sloweg and to Miko's what does he do on the next one?
Speaker 3: How does he bounce.
Speaker 5: Back from an interception? And there's nothing not to like about Stroud. He was so impressive at the podium yesterday. I watched him while he was waiting going around to families. I was told that a team function weks ago that he made it went around every table where there were players and families and introduced themselves to the kids talk to them. That's one of the ways you build up leadership behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Well, we're all eager to see how it all plays out here, but as I watch this camp, we talked to Eric Murray about it. We'll hear that conversation later. And we asked them about all the eleven on eleven work and very few seven on sevens. I think there's maybe even one. I get four days of practice. I can't keep tracking at all. But he said, you don't get any better at football unless you're playing football. So that's what they're trying to do. Play football and shot of seth. We're talking about it this morning as well pocket collapsing.
Speaker 1: They want to make things uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on that is they try to simulate real game time conditions as much as they can.
Speaker 5: You got two new coaches who are gonna call plays Bobby Slowing to mak O Ryans. They've installed their systems, so you're not gonna you're not gonna see what everybody can do.
Speaker 3: When you're doing seven on seven.
Speaker 5: You need to do full teams on both sides of the ball. You've got to see who's making the mental mistakes. You know, every player can't be coached the same. Bobby slok knows that something that we're going to interview to coordinators tomorrow. I believe I can't wait to ask Slowy it because I've seen this in all my years covering the NFL. A lot of first time coordinators want to make it too complicated. They want to come in and show everybody, man, I'm really smart. They made the key is you can have a ten inch stick playbook with The key is to reduce it to you know, each player can do what's required of him. And I'm assuming Bobby's around Kyle Shaney long enough nine years that he knows that Kyle's got a complicated system and we're not going to know. But it's not going to be the same system. You know, Bobby Sloan's been thinking, now if I if I get to call plays, I'm going to do this with that with that position, I'm going to do that. And so we're not going to know unless you watch all the forty nine ers and now you watch taxsons. But even Striud mitched yesterday his nuances Slow it's nuances.
Speaker 3: That he's putting in there.
Speaker 5: So I think that's one reason we see that so much is they got to look at the whole picture. And that's why those joint practices are going to be so good for the coaches. You know, Matt burg knew coming in here. Demiko's gonna call the defenses. Dimiko did a great job the last two years. Why would he not do it? Eventually he may turned over to Matt. Matt fixing the game plan. He doesn't mind telling Dimko something he thinks or if he disagrees to, Miko can handle it. That's the point of being a good coach. So uh, it makes it better out here to watch them.
Speaker 1: In eleven and eleven, Week two, Texans play here home opener against the Inneapolis Colts. General will Jonathan Taylor be wearing number twenty eight for the Colts in that football game?
Speaker 5: Well, they got a really ugly situation there and that's too bad, right, and you feel coming off is worse. And it's last year of his contract, was his second round pick. He wants an extension. They know they get franchise him for two more years, so he has no leverage. There's thing about putting him a non football injury because they say he told him he had a back injury, he said. He never said that one of the things you worry about. They're not going to trade him. Who's gonna give him sixteen million a year?
Speaker 3: Nobody?
Speaker 5: So he better stay there, play his tail off half a kind of year he had two years ago. He's still not going anywhere. Then they're going to franchise him. It's it's a tough situation. But once you figure it out and your agent tells you you got no leverage if you set out. He's on his rookie contract, so he can't be find fifty thousand a day like a veteran like to say.
Speaker 3: Nick Bo says, and he.
Speaker 5: Can't forgive Remember when Dwayne Brown missed all those checks and can't he lose like two to four million dollars selling.
Speaker 2: And even though he got paid by the Seahawks next year, but I don't think he ever.
Speaker 1: Made back that either would be better off just sticking it.
Speaker 3: Out and he stayed here.
Speaker 5: Then Rick Smith would give him an extension with one year left, which was his philosophy.
Speaker 1: I would have changed the course of franchise history.
Speaker 5: They would have been so I don't it's easy for guys to talk. Now, let's see you as the footballs to miss regular season games when you're missing your game checks and he's on a rookie contract. Anyway, key is can he be healthy? Yeah, so answer your question, I must say yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. He'll be out there too. He's got to be out there. I was texting with some Indianapolis people this morning and they were like, Yep, there's no shortage of drama.
Speaker 5: Jim Mersey didn't help at all. You know, Jim shouldn't be just shouldn't be texting. He shouldn't be talking to media constantly. It's great for the media. But that quote he had where if he and Taylor died the next day, oh canfl wouldn't change. It's still by the same. You know, what's he thinking on stuff like that? And Chris Ballard, who's been very positive about every kind of drama they have there, all of a sudden he's talking about it makes me think Erses talked to Ballard and say, look, this is the message we want to put out, and.
Speaker 1: It's not good.
Speaker 3: He should be praising the heck out of him every day.
Speaker 2: If I made you tzar of the NFL, you could change even the CBA.
Speaker 1: What would you do for the running backs or about the running backs?
Speaker 3: Do you know anything about the running backs? Why should they do something for the running backs?
Speaker 5: You know, you'd like to see quarterbacks make, not make fifty million a year, you know, that's that's one thing. Eventually, will quarterbacks who get that kind of money not play well enough to earn it? And then they'll think twice about it? Problem is a franchise tags for quarterbacks are astronomical, right, and so I don't ever see anything being done for.
Speaker 3: A specific position. But I don't blame running backs.
Speaker 5: When you see a tidi end who's barely beat it better in mediocre getting more.
Speaker 2: Than I wish, they would reduce the compensation needed to obtain a franchise tagged player.
Speaker 1: Match it to the salary. Yeah, that's it, to the salary.
Speaker 3: Let them be.
Speaker 5: I'll be free agents after three years, and then if you franchise him two, that's five. They still got some years left, you know, used to I saw the other day and Ladani and Thomason ran for eighteen hundred yards in his eighth year. Now they think, and he carried the ball a whole lot more than they do today that they're freaking out If a player's going into his eight season.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of running backs who've played well.
Speaker 5: In their eighth nineteenth seasons, but now they act like they're ready for the old folk song.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I said to Mark the other day. Well, I can't remember, I said to the marker work I was talking about it. Oh, I was up Buffalo, I was talking about That's what it was asked me. I said, learn I catch passes. If you can't catch pass then you're really no good. You're a two down player. But if you show that you can be a competent receiver and you can play on all three downs and you could be you could be out there on third down with the having played on first and second down, getting a break on the sideline and then still be effective. You can go out there and you can be a factor. There's no question about that.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard this from the coaches, but based on what you see out here, which is for the world to see, I think Damian Pierce is going to catch some passes this year and be a big factor in that part of.
Speaker 1: The game down Why not general, because.
Speaker 3: Why do you want overworking?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want to overworkan team game.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing why you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I love singletary, but let's just see how it all works out. Because if here's is better with the ball in his hands than anybody else, then on key third downs, I don't mind him being out there because even as a decoy, he's valuable.
Speaker 1: This is all. This is always my take about Derek Henry not being in the game on third down.
Speaker 2: You're taking away a huge weapon that the defense must be concerned about. They got to be concerned about a handoff to Derek Henry on third and six.
Speaker 1: But hold on, you don't have to hand the ball to Damian Pierce on first and second down. Yeah. Know what, You could still give him forty five plays in a game, and you could still give him twenty touches. Yeah, but you don't have to hammer him twenty touches between the I give him.
Speaker 3: The ball, throw him the ball sometimes on first down.
Speaker 5: Hope he can get because his average per catch last year was terrible.
Speaker 3: But if he could do that, it was last year.
Speaker 1: If that was last year in a different offense and with quarterback.
Speaker 5: He knows that if he can get, if he could get five yards a catch on first down, that's pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, we'll see how it can. It takes him away from all the big hits from the big lineman.
Speaker 3: You know, he also looks for contact. That's not gonna change.
Speaker 1: That's part of yeah, but it much rather him looked for contact against a two hundred pound safety than a three hundred pounds dexter Lawrence.
Speaker 3: They need to get into it.
Speaker 5: Think about when he's on the sideline, he can't get another yard out, Just go out of general.
Speaker 1: I know you were on Friday.
Speaker 2: You were on Friday afternoon with RONI Clint was every Friday, but I don't know when the Sean Payton apology was.
Speaker 1: So just give us your take on the Sean Payton in air quotes.
Speaker 5: I see all these people acting like he's a genius. It was said for a reason. It was man for Russell Wilson. Well, why not just come out and say Russell's great? I think that game the fifth game of the year. My goodness, the interest about that. I don't know what he was thinking. He's being kind of a jerk, and he's been that way before. And I bet the Jets just pound them into oblivion. Rogers will probaly throw a touchdown pass on the last play. And then after we'd run it up, they will, they will, they will rub it in. And you know, the thing is about Hacket. He never called plays in Green Bay. Matt Lafleur calls plays in Green Bay. And I hear people talking about what a great coordinator is. To be a great coordinator, don't you have to call plays?
Speaker 1: I think it could be effective in a non play calling role, for sure. Sean Payton had a lot those guys with the Saints. We saw that here in Houston. You know, I thought Tim Kelly is a good coordinator before we start calling plays. But yeah, I think John's right, you got to call plays to be considered as such, I would think across the board. So good stuff with John mcclinn. Also good stuff with Eric Murray. Will have him next right here a Texas All Access Welcome back to this Monday edition of Texans All Access from I'm Monday Texans Radio Studio. I am your host, John Harris. Glad to be with you. A reminder tomorrow morning eight to ten. Well that's smartt out Texas Training Camp live, but right out the shoot tomorrow morning, Texans head coach Tamico Ryans with me and Mark. It's gonna be awesome. Eight o'clock, right out the gate, Tomiko Ryans with me and Mark. That will be awesome. One of the guys that Demiko Ryans is helping on the defensive side of the ball is a guy who's been here since twenty twenty now its fourth year, well longest tenure Texans here, and that's Eric Murray. We've got a great time getting to know Eric over the years, and we had a great time chatting with him on Sunday after the workout.
Speaker 2: What does it mean to you to see all these fans out here? You guys get a little extra buzz from this.
Speaker 6: Definitely, we definitely get a pick me up from the fans being out here. How hot it is, so I definitely commend them from coming out and you know, braving a hot weather with us.
Speaker 4: But it's lovely.
Speaker 1: Man. A lot of.
Speaker 4: Camaraderie out here.
Speaker 1: Eric. I think about you and John Gunnard Charlie Heck a lot during these times because you guys got here in twenty twenty. Yeah, and I thought about it. I was talking to somebody earlier about the COVID practices. There's like none of this nothing. How did you guys get through that? Where did your juice come from to get you through? With no fans, nothing to kind of get you through?
Speaker 6: It was just crazy because we would come in and you really was only here for about like three hours a day, so like most of the time we were doing zoom meetings at home. You just pop in work and then you leave. So I mean, not being here as much kind of did help us get through it a lot. But I'm definitely I'm glad to be back and glad to have the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: So what are you working on as a defense here to get adjusted to this new system?
Speaker 1: How does it differ for you guys?
Speaker 6: It's way more communication. Last year we didn't have as much communication. It was kind of like plug and play. So being able to communicate with your teammates and let them know what's going on, I think it'll be a way bigger help, and it's a bigger adjustment, but it'll help us in the long run.
Speaker 1: No pads today, when the pads go on, how much talking is there amongst the dv's and wide receivers about when pads go on? Or is that not much a thing between DB's and wide receivers.
Speaker 6: It's not much a thing, but I think we work with each other every day, so it's kind of like an unspoken rule, like you know, like when certain things go on.
Speaker 4: Without the pass you like, Okay, if I had pass on, this wouldn't happen. That wouldn't happen. So yeah, it's known. It's known. We don't have to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Eric Murray joining us.
Speaker 2: Hey, you were in Kansas City when Mahomes was picked and he sat for that first year. What was all that like watching that transition take place? Alex Smith's still a very good quarterback. You guys had a good year. What was that like, Eric?
Speaker 6: It was just for him just sitting back and being able to learn. I think that really helped him mature and grow to what he is now, Like not being not having to go in there and like be the guy. I think really helped him really get a year under his belt and hit the ground running.
Speaker 1: All right, Eric, we'll make you put the scout and report hat on and go to the other side of the ball. What you see from the wide receiver? What have you seed from that group? Because you're obviously facing them, you know your room pretty well. We actually know the room pretty well too. You know, we know Mjed talk team the other day, We know Jalen and Jimmy. We know you know your room. What about the wide receivers? What do you see from the wide receivers thus far throughout camp? No pads obviously, but what have you seed from that group?
Speaker 6: A lot of shafety iness, a lot of speed. They run a different type of routes, so I think those routes cater to their skill sets more. Yeah, and it's gonna be a good year, man. I think we got some good skill players and they're gonna be able to showcase what they got.
Speaker 2: Seems to me that there's a lot more eleven on eleven in this camp than previous camps, less seven on seven, a lot of team periods.
Speaker 1: How do you see it and what do you think of it?
Speaker 6: I mean, you only get better at football by playing football, So I think that's that's a good thing, and that's a good sign and that we're going in the right direction. Play a lot of football, get better.
Speaker 1: So we've been kind of watching over here.
Speaker 5: Eric.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's just two of us. Feels like you guys spend a lot of time in your offensive defense, but in protective defense, defensive walkthroughs, going from different checks, going through all things, and it feels like there aren't many mental errors. As watching there always are that we can't see, but it just feels like to you guys who watch a lot of football, it feels like the mental errors have been very few and far between it. It feels like because you've been doing that work that that's a major part of that.
Speaker 4: You agree with that, Uh, yeah, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 6: Like I said, it goes back to the communication, and when you communicate on these specific sets, you're gonna get a specific play.
Speaker 4: So when you know exactly.
Speaker 6: What's coming from that specific say you ever, you're gonna be more well prepared to guard it. And uh, I think that's why you're, you know, seeing what you described.
Speaker 2: So Jonathan Joseph is spending camp with the team. Have you spent much time with him? Heard from him much?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been around with the DBS every day learning safety and corners, so he's been giving us a lot of tid bits of information and we definitely lean on him very You.
Speaker 1: Don't have you gotta I mean, Brandon Hill's in the backfield, I'm trying to think if there are any of the rookies you got back there. But what do you got the rookie? What do you got the rookies doing for you guys's vets? I mean you gotta have a little bit of that. Rookies got to get doctrinated in some way, shape or form. What you got them doing? Is it more snacks and food?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just it's just snacks right now. We made them go get probably about like a pound of snacks yesterday. So he set them all up real nicely for us in a in a in the meeting room. So that was his first initiation. He passed the first test.
Speaker 1: That goes a long way with the vets, does it not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely does. You don't want to you don't want to make the.
Speaker 2: Vets man, Well you've been at it for a while now, Eric, How do you get through training camp better these days than you did as a younger player?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: When I was younger, it was go, go go. Now it's like you get older, you just got to pick your spot. I'm going right here. I can taper it down back here, but it just never really gets easier. Training camp always a grind.
Speaker 1: So training camp is always.
Speaker 5: Eric.
Speaker 1: I think back to playing, and I think back to whenever I heard training camp, I just had this like like you just have that Like it's exciting to a degree to the fans, they love it, but when yes players, it's like, we just got to get through it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you wake up, it's another day. It's like, man, I gotta just put it on and go one more time.
Speaker 1: So with your day off, what do you guys do on your day off? Like, what do you try to get accomplished on a day at.
Speaker 6: Least some type of recovery, Like yesterday I did like some restorative yoga, some breathing exercise and stuff like that. Took a magnesium bath, and then just you know, spend time with my kids, but at least some type of recovery and then just family time after that.
Speaker 2: What is it like when you transition from playing safety to working with Frank Ross and that group, because it's almost a different sport at that point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, at the end day, it's still football.
Speaker 6: It's still running, blocking and tackling, and that's all the part of the game. So I mean all the special teams player, that's where the real football players.
Speaker 1: That's where is he losing his voice already?
Speaker 4: Every day?
Speaker 1: I talked him in the hallway and I couldn't believe it. Mid season four pads on it. He's lost a voice already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really intense guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, what to go about? You mentioned a Magnesian bath.
Speaker 4: Yep, okay, if you're.
Speaker 1: Magnese, Hold up, what is a magnesium bat?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: You know we need magnesium for the body thriving for to operate correctly.
Speaker 4: So I just go get a bath, right, poor.
Speaker 6: The magnesium salts in the bath, probably about like two cups of it and just soak for about twenty thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: That helps everything back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, relax the muscles and stuff like that. A lot of people use cold therapy. I like hot therapy. You know, get a good sweagon, get the muscles pliable and keep it keep it like that?
Speaker 1: Is that? It like a new school EPSOM salt sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Is a mix of salts, but the magnesium is purely magnesium.
Speaker 1: What about the yoga? How long have you been doing that?
Speaker 4: Uh? Just sparingly.
Speaker 6: I got that mirror from Lululemon at home, so you know you could just do it.
Speaker 4: The little classes at home. I didn't just do it at home.
Speaker 1: Oh so they do the lesson on the mirrorge just do that? Yeah, how have you? How is that? How's that? How long you been doing that? How do you see that? Helping you?
Speaker 4: Just keep you more appliable the older you get.
Speaker 6: Man, It's like amongst football players you say, I've been playing eight years, nine years, man, and well, you know, the first thing that comes to them mind is like, I hope my body can hold up.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like the big So your mind always gonna keep learning and growing, but your body just need to be able to kind of keep a good pace.
Speaker 1: So Eric, thanks a lot for joining us.
Speaker 4: Good luck problem.
Speaker 1: Thank you there is Eric Murray. Had a good time talking with him. All Right, we got stories galore going on in the NFL, so let's go around the league next. Right here on Texans All Access. What's happened everybody walking back this Monday edition of Texans All Access from the Hyundai Texans Radio studio. I'm John Harrish, your host, Glad to be with you this evening. Yeah I shouldn't sing. It's been a long day, so I'm a little little loopy. They started away earlier today, So it's about my bedtime right now, you would think. But hammering through on this edition of Texans All Access. A reminder tomorrow eight am. Right out of the shoot, Mark and I'll probably say hi to each other and then we're gonna throw it right to Dimico Ryans, Tamiko Ryan's joining me and Mark exclusive one on one, two on one. However, you want to look at it tomorrow with Timiko Ryans at eight am, be there. It should be there every day during training camp, in particular because that's when Mark and I take over at eight am to ten am. Even outside of eight am, you should be listening to Sports Area six ' ten sewn seth every day fought up by Landry and John. They were out at the Practice Center practice facility today and I think that's what they're gonna do each davery practice today they had Will Anderson Junior. How about that? Will Anderson Junior joined Landry and John. So good stuff. All right, it's get some news around the league. Two injuries one eh boy, it's just been nasty in Indianapolis, but kind of their own doing in some sense. Jonathan Taylor, if you followed it and we talked about that with John McClain. The situation Inneapolis has not gotten any better For the fourth year running back Jonathan Taylor. He continues to sit. They just talking about his back injury. He said, he never said anything. He said, y'all need to get new sources. Well, where do you think what source do you think that was? It is probably your say? Is that anyway? Crazy stuff going on? Indianapolis. Don't know or have any clue when Jonathan Taylor will be available to play or want to play or I don't know. It's just confusing. The man wants to play, but everybody wants to be compensated for their value, and that's what the running backs are kind of feeling themselves, and there's really nothing they can do. Unfortunately, now it gets more complicated when you bring in the fact that they might put him on the NFI list. If they put him on the NFI list, his contract tolls at twenty twenty four, that's a leverage play. My guess is that the cults are floating out there to say, hey, JT, you really have no option. If you're healthy, let's go because you've really got no option. So we'll see how this standoff sits in Indianapolis. But it's not getting any better because Zach Moss, who we saw in week Team last year killed us, really suffers a broken arm. He is now out six weeks. Says about six weeks, so if you're doing the math, four weeks is approximately end of September. Two weeks later, right around that time we play in Houston, Texans, So we'll see if Zach Moss will make it back. I agree with John and Mark, we talked about this. I think Jonathan Taylor will come back, but that is this is just not good news right now. The Cults running backs in camp are Jake Funk, Dion Jackson, who we've seen a little bit, Evan Hall, the rookie from Northwestern. Uh, that's not a great room. I mean, think about think about the Texas running backs. I mean, I think Texas running backs beyond our top two are actually you know, have some experience. I think they're more than decent. I think they're very good. And I probably think the Colts fans look at and go, hey, you know, there's Evan Hall, rookie for Northwestern. See what he's got. But what if the Texas didn't have Damian Pearson, Devin singletary. I mean, everybody'd be like, WHOA, yeah, well, that's kind of what the culture looking at right here. No Zach Moss for six weeks. We'll see if that expediate expediates the Jonathan Taylor situation or not. Another injury that's a big one. Wide receiver Tim Patrick of the Broncos had just gotten back to the Broncos after a torn ACL last year in practice tears his achilles tendon. I mean that the luck or lack thereof is just ridiculous. Tim Patrick, uh that never really the number one guy, but very involved in the offense, you know, reliable. You know, he's kind of the Broncos version of what Chris Moore was for the Texans the last couple of years. When you needed him, you got him. But Tim Patrick last year ACL, this week or this year achilles tendon. But that's not all on Broncos land. The Broncos plan to waive kJ Hamler, former Penn State third round pick. I believe he was with a non football illness designation. Apparently he's got perio pariokitis perio I can't pronounce it, but he's got a heard issue. But it's not a long term hard issue. He could be back. They're waving him, letting him essentially get treatment and do everything he needs to do. But he will be able to come back and play. That is if Bob Obviously at this point somebody will give him an opportunity. That is gonna be be tough perio periocard perry carditis. And I shouldn't even try and pronounce that. I'm too tired to do that either way. It's a mild heart irritation, is what it is. Says Chess was hurting during workouts. He later got diagnosed and was and found out after he got it checked. It doesn't appear that it will be a long term thing for Hamdler, but thoughts go out to him because we know we we know what that can turn into and how that goes. Guy, get yourself healthy before you get back on the field, so hopefully he's able to do that. All right, that's gonna do it for the show. A big thanks to Mark, to John McClain, to Eric Murray, to all of you for listening. Eight o'clock. Where are You're gonna be right here? Miko Ryant's on with Mark and myself. Make sure you check that out, we'll see why orowybody, and as always go Texans.