Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters.
Speaker 2: At the Star.
Speaker 1: Now your host, Nicole Hutchison.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation? Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 6: Welcome in to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jig South, the third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. In the SWBC studio, we got Aisham Morrison in the studio, Bonnie Jill Laughlin in the studio. It's Thirsty Scales in the studio.
Speaker 4: So how y'all doing today?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm still getting over that.
Speaker 7: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Tuesday.
Speaker 7: Tuesday's like it's like it's like a Monday three. It's like thirty two. Like after you turn thirty, everybody make a big deal and then thirty two you they like, we'll have a happy birthday.
Speaker 4: She I ain't there yet, so like, thank the Lord for that.
Speaker 6: It's very normally it was your birthday this week and too, so happy birthday.
Speaker 5: It was your birthday.
Speaker 8: That's what that's why you're alluding to that happy birthday?
Speaker 7: Yes, but I also was it really feels like Tuesday. Just feel like fine, it's fine. You know, do you feel older?
Speaker 5: Day off?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: It's the rest and rejuvenation is It's like it's and then tomorrow hit the ground running and get ready.
Speaker 7: So I'm just dreading it because I had to look at film today. Yeah, it's hard, but I feel okay, I don't feel if she asked me if I feel.
Speaker 8: Older, because me and christ you were talking about when you turn forty you lose your eyesight.
Speaker 5: Like the next day, just the up close stuff. Everything becomes the same. You're arms become short, like menu you can't can't read?
Speaker 8: Yeah, can you read the menus at the restaurants? And you're like turning over a flashlight?
Speaker 5: Yeah, who hit the dimmer switch?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, prepare I say? Do not want to? All right, ladies? Okay, Cowboys forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: We still got to take a look back at that matchup. I know they take on the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, but still got to rewind a little bit, just a preview. Just look at this defense. We took a look at the offense yesterday, what went right? What went wrong? Defensively? Let's start with the front seven evaluations. How would you assess the way that those guys perform.
Speaker 5: First, I'll start with you Christy Oh, the run defense is still you know, not good. And then just the lack of pass rush, and I thought it was very telling. After we finished the show yesterday, we heard from the coordinators and we heard from Mike McCarthy and Mike Zimmer. You know, he said as much that the lack of pass rush has affected his play calling. And when you can't get pressure with just your front four, when you're having to send a fifth person on the pass rush's vulnerable. It leaves the back end and especially those crossing routes. And so that's something that we've talked about that's been a point of conversation earlier in the season. It's like, what's the deal with letting everybody run free with those crossing routes well when it's vacant there, because you're sending guys up to try and help with the pass rush. So it's a domino effect and it has to improve. Obviously, you don't know if Micah is going to be back yet this week, but without him the and of course d Law still on injured reserve. The lack of pass rush is just killing this team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the lack of pass work you're seeing all these elite pass rushers, We're just having trouble with that a lot, you know, talking about the offensive line as well. But defensively obviously, if you look at the two hundred and forty five two twenty yards on the ground, I mean the four to three defense, they got to be better up front. I mean, I just but with injuries and not having depth, what do we do? That's that's the problem I have.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't just do Yeah, I mean we saw Zimmer come out and try to do some things to stop the run. Oh oh, it's just tough to stop the run. And uh And that was just like those six man fronts. I feel like it was efficient to start the game, like it was helpful. I don't think they it was unexpected to san Fran as well, because they hadn't seen the Cowboys do that to that point. Found some success there, but once they figured out, like, oh, we're just gonna play action behind you, it got rough, you know for the Cowboys, And I empathized for Mike Zimmer in a sense of kind of what is happening. You can't bank on losing four edge rushers, your starters.
Speaker 5: That's why you can't put it all on Zen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can't. You can't bank on that. Like you, there's no way to plan that. And to Christy's point, you're missing the pass rush, but you also you are missing the run defense as well. I mean DeMarcus Lawrence one of the best edge defenders against the run in the NFL, and also to Micah Parsons to that, despite the fact the rest of the team has been struggling with the run, he had been better in the run this year to start. So it's just a it's a tough spot.
Speaker 4: To be in.
Speaker 7: We didn't even talk about the linebackers. I think that now the Marion over shown is really starting to get a feel for the position and he's kind of learning more as things go on. I think there is a difference also too that Eric Kendricks was on the field and you see him just being a little bit more sure and things like that. Thought he made some really good plays. But the linebacker corps in general, with what's happening with the defensive tackles. I mean, there were a couple of plays where the defensive tackles started on one side of the formation and we're on the whole other side of the formation. It was insane to see in real time again, So it's just only so much they can do. I thought they played well as they could, but it's just ugly.
Speaker 8: And we know in the defensive line is struggling. Sorry, just to add to what you're saying, then you put so much pressure on the secondary and they're struggling.
Speaker 5: So it just it's like you said, it's a domino.
Speaker 7: Chauncey Golston though I was gonna get there, Chauncey ahead, talk about Chauncey Golston actually did. But first before I want to go back to the pass rush with with what Christy had said, because you look at Purdy's numbers, rock Perty's numbers. He was blitzed on thirteen of his thirty four dropbacks thirty eight point two percent, and completed eight of twelve passes for one hundred and ten yards, finished with one hundred and twenty three zero point six passer rating when being blitzed. The thing is is that teams are having success even when they are bringing that extra person, and so it's it also makes you wonder, I mean, how do you get pressure because you're not getting pressure with four.
Speaker 4: You can't get pressure at five.
Speaker 5: Risk with a blitz. Blitz just means you're sending a fifth person for sixth whatever. But if you're sending an extra person, you're creating a vacancy in the back, you know. And so yeah, risk reward, and that's that's the problem. But it ain't getting there with four. And the other thing perty the great numbers that he had, but he also really killed the cowboys with his legs when he was right, and so you know, when you break contain and things like that. So it has to do with discipline in your pass rush and things like that. So there are a lot of issues with the defense now. And yeah, Micah will be back soon, hopefully d law drawn Bland. We'll see if he's able to practice this week. But you know, the trade deadline is a week from today. But cavalry, if it's coming, it's limited. And so that's what the death is. It's important you have it exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the chnswer your question to call, uh, you can't.
Speaker 5: That's what we're saying.
Speaker 7: Nicole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 7: Mean there's nothing and I think I definitely I feel like I said this when the season first started, and I can start, we started noticing like the inability to get pressure early was like, Hey, I don't want to be a team that has the blitz all the time because it puts so much pressure on your secondary. Uh and this secondary is banged up right now, not necessarily banged up. I mean you have Treyvon Diggs coming back from the a cl you also have a Moni yes on the other side, and with respect, your safeties can't cover right now, so you don't have to change. It's just it's just it's just it's tough. I don't really have a whole bunch of fancy words to say. This is a really tough situation to be in because there's no quick fix and I don't know if there is a fix in general, because you lose something to gain something each each thing that you try to do.
Speaker 8: So and especially with Jerry Jones saying he doesn't want to do anything before the trade deadline, so there's not really this is our team, this is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what frustrates you though, because this is a team that thrived off getting pressure last year and turnover and turnovers, and it's like, how do you have success defensively like you just said you can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, because the two things are tied together. And I know we're going to talk about takeaways and turnover ratio in a little bit, but it's hand in hand. What's a cornerback or defensive back's best friend and the best way for them to get a takeaway it's when the quarterback is under direction and you're getting good pass pressure on him. And so it's not a surprise that the takeaways are down because there's a lack of pressure on the There's no.
Speaker 7: Dress, there's absolutely no dress. He's back there chilling as a lot of these quarterbacks have. Well, they just have so much time. I would argue he had too much time.
Speaker 5: Sometimes, yeah he would. Yeah, he's known for holding the ball too long. We know that party. But those aren't working out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you talk about the turnover ratio, I'll go to Christy first with this one. The forty nine ers with two takeaways almost four. If you think about it, why is this team struggling so much with getting takeaways?
Speaker 5: With the defense getting the takeaways. Yeah, so the lack of pass rush, and then there have been a few times where the ball's been on the ground and they just hadn't gotten it. So I was looking at the comparing the numbers to last year through seven games, and right now the Cowboys defense entering after seven games has only five takeaways. You said, only five takeaways. They had five in like two weeks last year. At this time last year, the Cowboys had thirteen takeaways, nine of them were interceptions, and so right now you have four interceptions and just one fumble recovery. So I think that, you know, when you get Mica back and d Law eventually, I think that should help with the the pass rush and putting that quarterback under duress. But until then, man, it's hard. Like we were saying, if you blitz, then you're exposing that secondary even more so, or you know, linebackers, you know, you're opening up holes in the field. And Kirk Cousins is an experienced veteran who and as even though it's his first year with Atlanta, a little bit of experience with that receiving corps. You know, they should be able to recognize those hot reads. You know, so if you blitz. It's a risky thing against a veteran quarterback like Cousins.
Speaker 4: Let me pose this question.
Speaker 6: If this team can't get pressure, if this team can't get takeaways, we.
Speaker 5: Don't win ball game. That's what you're saying.
Speaker 4: What are they gonna do? Bonnid? You all gonna start with you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 5: It's like we're I feel like I'm chasing my tail.
Speaker 8: There's not a solution at this point, you know, And you can't blame it all on Zim because you've got all these injuries and we have no depth. I man, I'm like reiterating myself, but it's the same thing over again. Then you've got some guys that it's used and they're growing pains, so you can't rush them. So it just ends up being I think I do think of the safety position that we do need to make with Wilson, have to make a change. Malik. I think he's doing the best. I feel like they're both doing the best at their potential.
Speaker 5: But that's it.
Speaker 8: So maybe try to these younger guys with bell and stuff and see if that works.
Speaker 5: They can't do any worse.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what I mean. I mean I'm gonna be I. I don't know who's going to defend Kyle Pits because you used to be able to put a safety on them. You can't know. I don't, I don't. I don't see that being there. So don't stress me out. Don't stress me out, Bunny.
Speaker 5: I just wonder you know Mukualmu played more last week, and not just when he came in uh in the second half after a warrior hurt his back, but they were doing some packages where they had mccuamu and then even Bell got some time as well. So what do you think about that. I noticed that in particular with Pitts because he I'm not saying that Kyle Pitts is George Kittle, because no one is George Kittle but Kittle, but they're still you know, he has the potential to be the real playmaker in this game on Sunday, and with that big body six foot six, looks like an Adonnas out there, you know, the perfect prototype for a tight end and you know with some yards after catch, and you know, if he gets the yards after catch like Kittle did, that's that's really going to be tough.
Speaker 6: I think you need a guy who's a short tackler. And that's something that we saw out of Israel mcwalmou this summer in training camp, and right now, I haven't seen that out of Malik Hooker.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen that out of Donno.
Speaker 6: We kind of talked about the safety position last week, where I usually had mentioned that in this system you've got to be able to cover and you also have to be able to come down and tackle.
Speaker 4: But I think that maybe they're asked.
Speaker 6: Too much in this system or asked of too much.
Speaker 7: All I believe that, and this I mean again, I think that we might have gotten things a little misconstrued with how excited the players seemed after training camp and stuff about the Zimbra system. Because it is specifically for the safety position, it is a little bit more complex than what, uh than what dan Quinns system called for safety to do. I thought that they did think they did things in a nickel. But as far as like the scheme, like the Cowboys did not play a lot of too high last year with in dan Quinn's system, that's a new field, that's a new thing.
Speaker 8: Is that what Will said is that why Wilson struggles is because that's that's a.
Speaker 7: Big difference in the scheme thing. But I will say that I just I think that they are out. Like I said, I think that we can on a misconstrued how this change would be for these players and what it's the difference in the coaching staff is and how they approach things and stuff like that. It's very normal to have acclamation periods. It's very normal to have time to where you need to adjust to what you're being the new things you're being coached. We see a lot of guys like I am not. I don't believe that people just forget how to tackle. The Cowboys under Dan Quinn will be of the best tackling teams in the NFL. You still have so many of those guys still on this team. I don't know how that happens. So I think that maybe guys are second guessing themselves. Maybe guys are confused.
Speaker 8: It's because ever Jazzi mentioned that she thought maybe because the rules are constantly changing, that the guy's not sure about tackling or what. Remember she mentioned that, I remember mentioned the wrap around tackling and maybe they can't do that, and.
Speaker 4: I think changes figured out.
Speaker 7: So it's kind of like, no I just think to answer your question, I do think that's the philosophy changes, and some of the things that changes are taking some time for the guys to grasp and there are new responsibilities. There's new responsibilities in general. So sure. But to answer the original question, as far as the turnovers, now y'all should.
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 7: It was in regard to the how do they get how do they get turnovers?
Speaker 5: Is that what you say, get to take?
Speaker 7: Where do they getting.
Speaker 4: Much of them?
Speaker 5: Boom a lot.
Speaker 7: They're also not getting turnovers because they ain't got.
Speaker 5: A chance to, like and had a chance that could have been a pick six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, they got to catch them when they see it because they keep doing that. But I do think they haven't got a chance to because I have people who run the ball on you. Yeah, like that's that's they're not getting the opportunity to rush the passer like that. So it's just a recipe for disaster until they figure something out. I'm seriously I wanted to see if Zimmer was going to be able to find ways to manufact your pressure. We saw him bring to Marian overshown off the edge. He didn't really do a whole bunch with the interior this game, but like his hands are tied, just like, just like Mike McCarthy's hands are tied in a sense with what's going on with his offensive line and what and the guys that he don't have on the receiving end. And also to Jake Ferguson, it's not undre percent like this is. It's a lot of things going on within this team that are not like controllable.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly. There's not a solution.
Speaker 7: There's not I don't have one. I normally can deep in the wall, dig deep in the wall and be like.
Speaker 4: Well you maybe can do that.
Speaker 7: I ain't got no carrying twos or nothing for you.
Speaker 4: Who do you feel would be best?
Speaker 6: I feel like because my first question was are they being asked too much? As far as the safeties, who do you feel could possibly.
Speaker 4: Come in and make an impact?
Speaker 6: What changes do you feel like could be made at the safety position?
Speaker 7: I think Marquis Bell is fit. I think Marqu's Bell's fit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 7: The time that he spent at linebacker invaluable, Like it might have sucked for him in certain instances, but for him to learn the line of scrimmags, the way that he did. And granted, like we did see his size be a factor and things like that, but one thing he did show us is that he could tackle and he would be sound in his gap integrity. He might have got moved out of the gap, but I'm telling you he knew his he knew his reads. On the other side of things, he is a safety and he was one of the best safeties covering tight ends last year. So I want to see I would like to see him get a shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bell put Bell against Kyle Pitt's.
Speaker 7: I would like to see him getting.
Speaker 5: That's the thing you know last year, and it was dan Quinn partly because of circumstances. Remember the injury to Layton vander esh and they didn't have enough healthy linebackers to get through a game, and we saw a lot of dying last year. Extra defensive backs six defensive backs nickel means five defensive backs, dime means six because you have two Nichols makes a dime. But that was by necessity because of injury situations at linebacker, and that's why Marquise Bell was out there. He was actually playing linebacker, but it was they were doing things differently last year. Compared to Zimmer and what they're doing this year. Uh, but again it's all by out of necessity. Necessity is the mother of invention, and that's why you had Bell playing linebacker. Well, he got like a hybrid impact.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, if you can play a little at both, So I think that could help.
Speaker 5: Is not sold on them.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I don't know. Was kJ Henry at there?
Speaker 5: kJ Henry did play a little bit, Ben, Yeah, there was a time. So one of the rotations we basically we basically have two different defensive lines that go out there and play, and so one of one of the four one of the rotations, the four defensive linemen out there were tied Iris Wheet, who's a third string guy, and the other guys were not on the team. Midway through training camp, it's Lynval, Joseph, Yeah, Carl Lawson and kJ Henry Yeah, kJ Henry, And it's like wow, yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, ladies, let's go ahead and take off first show.
Speaker 6: Oh good Lone girls, Sowboys talkers, and about Jake Saw The Perferd dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys will.
Speaker 4: Bear it Back.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the butun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to photopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that they are Lipoli style sausage worthy of their restaurant. Must have high quality course ground beef and port, rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys, the perfect matchup on game day Dicky's Barbecue Pit. No one out smokes us. Order at Dickey's dot com for groups called eight six y six barber Cuts on the Ribs.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 8: Cowboys Now apps Stay connected with the Dallas Cowboys on your connected TV. Catch up on all Cowboys content, live player interviews, weekly TV shows, podcast docuseries like Deep Blue, and much much more. Down Load the Cowboys Now app on Amazon Fire, Roku, and Apple TV.
Speaker 7: Go ahead and download it when you bring some energy to the show.
Speaker 8: That I think it's more depression, but that's what it says.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it says a roku all fantastic.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, come on, energy, I need a little songs.
Speaker 6: We haven't.
Speaker 5: I think it's a little bit sadness.
Speaker 4: I'm awake sadness.
Speaker 7: I'm not sad.
Speaker 4: Don't need it, don't need it?
Speaker 6: All right, ladies, real fast, not real fast. We got like twenty minutes. I know we're speaking about the defense. Do you all believe that this system fits this personnel best?
Speaker 4: Christie? Just throw it up there? Who wants to catch that?
Speaker 5: If you once you get people back healthy?
Speaker 7: So yes, yes, yeah, okay, it's going to be a no for me, don't I agree with you?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, should areas have been upgraded? Politics?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Should they have gone deeper at defensive tackle? Sight?
Speaker 7: Yes, the whole defenses cont I don't know much. Yeah, I don't know how you hire Mike Zimmer. You don't give him d it was it was room from start. I'm not trying to be mean like, but that's his system. So much of it is, so much of it is contingent on that solid front solid Yes, so those linebackers can fly, and not only can the linebackers fly. He normally is so creative with his usage with his linebackers. He can't do a lot of that stuff now, so uh yeah, it's it's no. Everywhere else would be great, especially from the corner position and stuff with the talent you have, even though Deron Bland is down and stuff. But yeah, and then as far as the safety position, we just talked about it. You I, guys in safeties in his in his system have to be able to cover hash to hash and uh no, okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 8: It's not matching up with the personnel and Zim. Yeah, but that's why I hate to blame it on Zimmer though.
Speaker 6: All Right, something that I did notice, and you mentioned it, how he kind of made adjustments in that game, bringing six guys to the line of scrimmage at first going back.
Speaker 7: To four to three D and four three base.
Speaker 6: Uh but that was something that he was kind of critiqued about throughout the year, just the lack of adjustments that mid game, in game adjustments that he was willing to do. Would y'all at least consider that a positive to take away?
Speaker 4: Why did y'all start with you with that one?
Speaker 5: Sorry one more time.
Speaker 6: Would y'all consider it being a positive that he did somewhat make in game adjustments last Sundays the forty.
Speaker 8: Yes, of course, because he hasn't the rest of the games. We've noticed that he wasn't adjusting, So I think that was good. But it still didn't get us the dub so and they were still struggling on all cylinders, so it didn't doesn't make that much of a difference. I was happy, I mean, still seeing what Perty was doing and you know, just kittle debo everyone. I mean, the separation receivers are getting. It just goes on and on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I was happy. I was happy that they tried the fourth in the fourth quarter. I think I'm about to start a game the first quarter and fourth quarter, but because it wasn't. But it also too wasn't about And this is how you know that game planning matters and your players. To me, and some people disagree with it, but I think players look at players are smart enough to look at a plan and say, oh, I think this is gonna work. When I was in the military, we used to go on missions. I look at the plan. Sometimes I'd be like, listen, Doug, we're gonna end up having this, We're gonna end up having to make a detour. Go here, go here, though there they ain't gonna work. I felt like the players came out defensively with some fire to them, with some certainty to them, and there was some rally to the ball and stuff that we haven't seen. So I do think that they believed in that game plan. Sant Fran had a counter to the counter, absolutely, and so that's that's the thing. Like I was, I was pleased that they did go in the well and try to try to do some things. But Mike Zimmer is working within a very small frame and so when it was figured out, it's like, well, what else is there to throw at throw at them? Right now? There was nothing else to throw, And I think you hear some of that defeatism and some of the players like, well you see it, You see it in their body language. Not that they're like sad, but like, we know that we don't have the guys right now, and you don't want and as an NFL player, I know they don't want to Like I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself. They're not asking nobody feel sorry for them. But I think there is a reality of like they know they they know the secondary knows that they're not getting pressure, they know they're not taking the ball away, they know that they're missing tackles, you know what I mean. Times in this game that a safety was literally stopping a touchdown. They know what's going on. So it's like, I don't get mad. I don't get so mad at them when I be seeing them, Like.
Speaker 8: Well, that's why I think you saw Diggs being so frustrated after the game.
Speaker 5: There's frustration because of all this. Well, I think the thing is the whole team knows it, and the fact that the offense wasn't able to help the defense in the third quarter, it goes to that complimentary football. No, we're getting ready to talk about offense, but that's part of the thing. They come out and San Francisco's offense is getting better, getting the better of the Cowboys defense in the third quarter, and the Cowboys offense wasn't able to help the defense. The special teams wasn't helping the defense. It was given the forty nine ers good field position, kicking the ball out of bounds and putting the ball on the forty so there's you know, it all works together. And so when that avalanche started in the third quarter, none of the three units were able to stand up and help the other one.
Speaker 7: Right, the avalanche started in the second quarter, and the Cowboys had that opportunity to go up, because that shifts the game. Yes, And if you watched brock party play playing from behind, its never been his thing like that. You talk about how you get turnovers, you put pressure on people, and I was looking for the offense it felt like earlier in the game, and then obviously at the end, I need the offense to take that part seriously because to me, it's not like it's just like any other like even in a friendship. Sometimes my best friend she's tired. When I used to live together these roommates, she'd be like, I ain't got a sister. I gotta hold it down, Like that's just how things are. And so when you talk about a complimentary sport, a team sport, So I okay, y'all know good and well that the defense is First of all, this is probably the best game that they've played in weeks, as far as far as I have. And y'all, y'all, y'all have to reward them. It's essential to getting to win. But it also too builds trust in confidence between each other that when you're out there, you're gonna make the play, when you're you're gonna look out for me. And I think that's also plays into some of these turnovers and some of these decisions. It's like, hey man, that defense was on the Cowboys defense was on the field almost the whole third quarter.
Speaker 5: Unacceptable, almost twelve minutes, eleven minutes and fifty two seconds. You had seven plays by the Cowboys offense. Unacceptable. But you know what in the fourth quarter, at the second to last defensive series, they got the start, they got the punt, and the offense had the ball the twenty five yard line with a chance to win the game out they did for four down, four and out, not even four and out, and didn't gain a yard at all.
Speaker 7: Insane.
Speaker 5: I need to talk about that.
Speaker 7: It's it's frustrating, uh nicole, and you just I know we're gonna get to the offense. But it's like the offense is the defense or the like in some in some way like they they needed defense is offense, yes, And and then factor in too, like your specialty and help you like that. It just was it was rough. So yeah, they need to play better together.
Speaker 4: What changes need to be made offensively?
Speaker 6: When you talk about this offensive line, because you talk about things going hand in hand, I mean this offense succeeds when this offensive line is able to do their job.
Speaker 5: Oh can I go ahead?
Speaker 12: I know this is.
Speaker 5: Because because this isn't my word, this is Mike McCarthy and Ryan Schottenheimer. Yes, Sue, Yeah, they about miscommunication. Now you're talking about that. I think I think people need to understand something. You go into a game with an offensive script fifteen plays. Now, sometimes situations happen and it may not be one too thy five, but fifteen plays is scripted. And by the way, that game plan is finalized Tuesday night, and the team knows it Wednesday, they start game plan installation Wednesday morning. Well, here's the thing Mike McCarthy said in the press conference today, the glasses on come on to you, okay. Mike McCarthy said that there were communication errors on place four, five, six, and seven in the first drives. Not they have mama upset because these because these are controllable things. Yeah, yes, these are controllable things. Now, uh, and by the way, the communication when among the offensive line, this isn't Yeah, he's just giving me the heart y'all know, I was going to be a teacher, right, the teacher living living so much. But here's the thing. With the offensive line, they're doing their own communication. It does it start with the center Cooper BB, yes, identifying the mic, all those kinds of things, but he's not the only one communicating. And McCarthy pointed out that it's not all on the center. The communication goes in the out.
Speaker 4: They had the.
Speaker 5: Guards to the tackles, the tackle to the tight ends and beyond, because they're all part of the pass protection, for example, on a passing play. Same thing with the running backs. They're often helping with pass protection as well. When you are having communication errors four times in your first ten place, which by the way, are scripted, which means that you've been practicing them all week, that's a serious problem and it's something that Schottenheimer McCarthy say, yes, it has to be corrected, well, better be corrected this week.
Speaker 7: That's a focus.
Speaker 5: Then yeah, well, well, you know the other thing is sometimes in Cooper b B and Dak Prescott talked about this. I've talked with Cooper about it. The thing about having a veteran quarterback, that's great for a rookie center because Cooper says, if I do make a mistake, Dak can correct it. That's one reason why you want to get the call in from the coach quickly and get to the line of scrimmage quickly so that Dak can look at everything, so that everyone has time to communicate. So my point is it's on everybody. Don't just say, oh, they have two rookies in the line. Everybody is part of this.
Speaker 7: And everybody got everybody was struggling at some point time in that game. I thought it was Tyler Goyden's best game.
Speaker 5: Is Terrence Steele's was worried about No.
Speaker 7: I mean, and and this is there were several reps where they lined up both over and he was able to hold his own. Terrence Steele, Yeah, that's he was the problem. I mean, Zach Martin got some Tyler Smith got something.
Speaker 5: That's everybody.
Speaker 7: And that's what I'm saying, And that's why I'm trying to say it in the most respectful way I can. Is like there's something else going on, because I mean, Tyler Smith is quite literally, like one of the best guards in the NFL. I've never seen him have these types of struggles, even some of the things he's struggling with. And even Zach like, although he's getting older, he's technically sound, yes, y what is and the communication he's one of the smartest offensive linees you also meet as well. So it's like, I don't know what's going on there, but I will say like the pressure coming from the right tackle position is starting to really where on the quarterback. I'm sick of seeing him get lit up. And it wasn't this past game, but the game before. You saw he hit his head on someone's helmet, his hand on someone's helmet. I remember that happening Week one a couple of years ago against the Books, and we didn't have him for five weeks. And it also too and even when he came back, it changed how quickly he was releasing the ball to me, it changed how he played through that season. I'm like, we do have to figure out this is your franchise quarterback. Now you're gonna be here for four years. This is scaring me as far as what's happening at the tackle position. Even though I felt like Tyler Goitton definitely is showing and proved. They did some good things in the run game. At the beginning of this game, they showed some different things that they want to do, but doing some I thought they were doing to all what they weren't. But anyway, yeah, they did some different things in a run game. But I don't as of right now.
Speaker 6: It's just with what you've seen in how it kind of reflect in Dak's play just the first eight weeks. It has there been a similar season where you see I mean you kind of already answered.
Speaker 4: The question, but hasn't been a similar season of.
Speaker 6: You know, just kind of that lacking of confidence in his offensive line a little bit.
Speaker 5: It's a recent memory. No, I'm flashing back to twenty years ago.
Speaker 7: It hasn't been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying. Yeah, no, yeah, we've seen a lot worse. I think the main thing about it is Dak. For example, on the one interception, the one to Turpin, the safety came over Turpin. You know, the cornerback's covering Turpin. The ball stays up and the safety has time to come over and make the interception. On the long pass down the left sideline, well, what had happened was Dak steps o steps to avoid the rush coming from the left side, steps up in the pocket and gets hit. In fact, took a rib shot as he's delivering the ball. So the ball, the timing is already off and he can't get everything into the throw because because it becomes one side, he goes up here and it's coming this way. So not an excuse for I mean, that's what the defense is supposed to do. But Mike McCarthy said yesterday that the lack of pass protection is affecting his offensive play calling, and he said that he that on his play sheet he took too many of his play calls home with him, meaning that he didn't get to the stuff that he wanted to get to because he couldn't because they weren't well. Number one, you know, the run game was better, but they still only had what was it, twenty six or twenty two rushing attempts. It was a low number of rushing attempts. But he can't get to the stuff because they can't give Dak the time. And the other thing is there were a couple of times where let's say, Jalen Brooks, right, who's your fourth or fifth receiver in this game, and he's lining up on and kind of like where a tight end would be, and he's helping get a push on a chip. He's helping, he's helping hit Nick Bosa, helping Terrence Steel or or over on the other side guy. And I think this time it was Terrence Steel given a little push before he releases on a route. So you can't send everybody out in a route when you're having to keep them back for a little short time to help with the pass protection.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and if you're noticing, you know, Dak can't even step in because the pockets already collapsing.
Speaker 5: And then we see that Dak.
Speaker 8: Is normally more mobile like last season he was. I know Jerry said this morning he doesn't want him running, but it's like he'll take the sack instead of moving.
Speaker 7: Clearly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'm just saying it's just from last year. No, No, it's something I noticed.
Speaker 7: And that's something we talked about. One of Dak's One of my favorite things about Dak Prescott throughout his career is his mobility. And it's not the mobility, it's not the just taking off running. Is what he can do on the move rolling in his pocket. He's been one of the most lethal. You don't see a lot of young quarterbacks be able to roll out to their left and throw dives. He was able to do that in his rookie year, which was very surprising to me. So that and we saw him do some things on the move this past game, even this past ye had last year, but even this past game he saw him do something. It's just a comfort thing for him. I think that's something he just does. Well. You to your point, he's not doing that as much right now, and so we've been kind of speculating, like why isn't he running, especially after vocalizing while he's running. I personally think, and this is my opinion, that it's just too much to risk you don't have I mean, like, holy muffins, you can only lose so many humans on this team. However, I say to that, well, he getting up in the pocket.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's getting.
Speaker 7: Knocked down in the pocket. He's taking rip shots, he's getting hit in the head, he's getting literally like power drove. So it's like, is he safer avoiding because he has to wear with all the slide He's not. He's intelligent, so is he is he safer in the pocket or getting outside the pocket at this point, because I don't think it's I don't think it's a huge, huge, huge different with how it would be different too if people wasn't coming off that right side Scott free because they're getting free runs to help. What's different than him being in an open field? Like you need to be able to open up your offense, and this is an element of his game. I mean, Lord, have mercy your reds one offense. I'm watching him on film read he is reading that he should run and he's not running. That's not like him. I'm over it.
Speaker 6: You said you can only lose so many humans, you can also lose so many games.
Speaker 4: This see if you want to make the.
Speaker 12: Playoffs presented by Jack Southern Daddy Barner of an Elf Cowboys, You funny.
Speaker 2: The Dickey family always mandated that the only Polish style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality, coarse ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular. Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dickie's Barbecue Pit. No one out smokes us. Order at Dicky's dot com for groups called eight sixty six barber Cute. It's on the ribs.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's Yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to fotopia.
Speaker 7: Better with PEVs. That's what I like.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who'll put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot COM's slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: All right boxing fans witness the biggest boxing event in modern history at Netflix and MVPs. Paul Versus Tyson and Taylor vers Errano head to AT and T Stadium on Friday, November fifteenth as the International Superstar Jake Paul takes on the Batistman on the Planet, the Iron Mike Mike Tyson, and don't miss Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano long awaited rematch for the undisputed Super A Lightweight Championship. Limited tickets are available now at seat seek geek sorry dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 7: When Me is It Again?
Speaker 5: November fifteenth. Friday got to interview both of them when they were they were there at the game last month. That was awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was very cool.
Speaker 5: How is Mike? Oh, he actually was. He was good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: The first couple of questions, who was kind of takes me a minute yet just well, you know, just kind of kind of canned answers. And then I asked him if he saw a comparison between NFL players and fighters in terms of the preparation during the week and not only the physical toughness but the mental toughness and discipline in preparing for Sundays. And so he said, you want me to answer honestly, and I'm like, of course, and then he dropped an S bomb, but then gave a really great answer, just talking about how how much he admired the football players because you know, not only is it all these three hundred pound guys, but you can get hit from behind, you can get hit from the side. But yeah, actually it was a very good interview.
Speaker 6: All right, ladies, things up, we've got I'm going to ask you guys, how many games We're just going to talk five games, the next five games. How many games do you see the Cowboys winning.
Speaker 4: All right? They have the Atlanta Falcons up next.
Speaker 5: That's Atlanta Philly home.
Speaker 6: Then they have the Houston Texans here at Washington and then New York here.
Speaker 7: Yes, how many?
Speaker 5: What do I think they're going to get her? Where do they need? I think you need at least you need three just to stay in the race.
Speaker 4: But how many that? How do you see them? How many do you see? They're winning?
Speaker 7: They're not better than Washington or Philly. Oh my god, I want to throw.
Speaker 5: You know, you get I'm trying to be positive, but hey, they had the chance in San Francisco. At least they thought hard coming back. I do like to seeing how they came back.
Speaker 7: You know, this Atlanta game is huge.
Speaker 8: I really want They're not bad on the road, the Cowboys, so they can.
Speaker 7: I really wonder like Atlanta taking a peek. Look see you at them? They are so confusingly fun is what I tweeted, is like they are just and I just I'm telling you. I like to see teams figure it out. I like to see teams. It's good for football. They're figuring it out. But what we say fail stop against us? But I mean the Cowboys rather but I just uh this This game this week, to me, is going to set the stage for a lot of stuff and they're gonna get a lot of looks that they've had trouble with with different on different sides. There's some things to take from this game, the San fran game. I hate to say it, I hate to be that person, but there are some things to take from this game that you maybe could incorporate. I do think getting Rico daddleback is going to be big, and with there being a clear emphasis from Mike part Mike McCarthy, they're going to try to run him more because I think he can do and stop it being the run.
Speaker 5: That's your point. I want to use the run game and Atlanta has not been good against the run this year. They're out, they're allowing over one hundred and thirty yards rushing per game on average. And so if there's an opponent where you might be able to get the run game going, even though they got Grady Jarrett, you know it could be this weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I say, I say, I'd say if they can get that Atlanta game, I think they can win three out of those five.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, yeah, I know it's been fun ladies, it has it.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow we're gonna be in good spirit again and bring some energy spirit and we're talking week nine. All right, that's about Spotty Jel Lablin and Christie Scales.
Speaker 4: I'm Nicole I to say we will see y'll back here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.