Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome back to Risky Business, our podcast about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kannakova.
Speaker 3: I'm Nate Silver.
Speaker 1: So today we're going.
Speaker 2: To be doing a little bit of a deep dive into the political situation that is a Joe Biden, and then we'll be talking about the World Series of Poker. It is currently the main event, and we are taping this right before I go play day three. I'm running on about four hours of sleep, but I'm very excited to be here Nate, and we're going to get totally psyched up to play by talking about the amazing decisions that the United States political machinery is making.
Speaker 3: I got a great night's sleep after having gotten knocked out of the main event on the last level. There is more poker later this week, but good luck to you, Maria, Thanks so much, Nate.
Speaker 1: Let's do a quick recap.
Speaker 2: So last time we spoke about the elections, it was right after the debate, which I think the scientific consensus was it was a total cluster fuck.
Speaker 3: It's epic shit storm, I think is the.
Speaker 2: Okay, actually perfect, I'm sorry, total cluster fuck. That's a little less than shit storm, right, No, actually.
Speaker 3: I think you're right. It's like a it's a shit storm inside a black hole, inside a cluster, fuck inside.
Speaker 2: Of fucking Okay, that sounds reasonable. So that's where we were last time. We are recording this on Tuesday morning, Vegas time. Now it's been a week and a half later, right, something like that.
Speaker 1: Two weeks later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been it's been twelve twelve restless nights for the since the debate for Joe Biden and the Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yes, and things have gone up and down. Right in the immediate aftermath of the debate, it seemed like people were absolutely horrified. And then Joe Biden is now going on his I'm not resigning tour.
Speaker 3: Look, some comeators. You know. Benji Sarlin's a very bright reporter for Semaphore and talks about the kind of mutually assured destruction scenario that Biden is presenting for Democrats right where he's saying basically, well, I'm going to be the nominee whether you like it or not, and so anything you do now will just put me in an even worse position against Trump. Right, So first of all, let me stay this is like actually not Biden's only option. Biden has the right to stand down. The ballots are not been printed yet. That's all misinformation, right, we haven't had the convention yet. By the way, it's actually technically speaking not the Democrats only option. There is a conscious clause in the convention which says, if you're in you're good conscious, you think this guy should not be the nominee, then you are not legally bound to vote for him. Now, ninety eight ninety nine percent of the delegates where people selected by Joe Biden. When you vote in the primaries, you vote both for a candidate and for his or her Dell gets the convention as chosen by the candidate, right, So they're loyal to Biden. But there also weren't really necessarily planned for a scenario like this. There might be regular, normy Democrats who are kind of local party leaders. If you look at polling now of Democratic voters, it's actually pretty close. I think in one poll which was put up by group it's advocating for this, So take that with a grain of salt. Right, In one poll, a majority Democratic voters actually said they prefer to have an open nomination process to Biden. I mean, I don't know what kind of cave people are hiding in. But like the concern about Biden's age and the debate is certainly not confined to uh, just elites, right, I mean, it's with registered impuls of voters for a long time, for months, for years, voters have said, sorry, we tolerated up to age eighty one, which he is now, right, but another another six months this plus another four years eighty six, that's not going to work for us, right.
Speaker 2: And if you talk to like, has that has that clause ever been used?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But look, the general no, I mean I don't. Well, look, I mean it depends because before nineteen seventy two, roughly then, it was kind of a smoke filled rooms scenario where parties would have minimal to no input from voters. The primaries are mostly for show, and then they get going to the convention, like actually pick the candidates what the convention was for? You know, Since then there hasn't been a situation where the superdugets had to be invoked, although it was close in some years, right, you know, Hillary versus Obama was fairly close. For example, there was talk on the Republican side where Trump at one point had a plurality, but not a majority of delegance. In twenty sixteen, he wound up though sweeping the last twenty percent of states to have a clear majority in the end. But look, I mean, the reason you write emergency procedures is for emergencies, and Democrats are in kind of an emergency. I'm not going to be one of those peoplehos like, oh Trump gets elected, it's going to be the last election. I think it's probably hyperbolic, right, but like one of your goals as a party is to elect winning candidates and win elections, and Joe Biden's probably not going to beat Donald Trump. And in fact, even Democrats if you read the reporting, even Democrats who say we can't switch candidates, if you talk to them privately, they say, we think Biden's gonna lose. We just don't think we have a choice, right, we want to save down ballot racist things like that. It's just not very rational.
Speaker 2: I don't think, no, I mean, and it's a you know, it's a problem that you get in decision making a lot when it's a collective action problem and you need that one person to step up and to say something and to actually be the person who becomes that voice that says, Okay, we need to say publicly what everyone is saying privately. But unless that happens, that galvanizing force can't gain momentum. And so many times then in these decision making processes, and by the way, right right now we're talking about the presidency, which is huge, but this happens in boardrooms, this happens in corporate decision makings, This happens everywhere when everyone is thinking something privately but they can't say it publicly because they're too afraid of the repercussions. And the calculus just doesn't work out if we put it in our game theoretical framework. Right, you start looking at the payoff matrix and you say, okay, what's my payoff matrix? If I'm the person who speaks out and then people don't support me and all these things happen, and then I'm the one who loses. And Biden is actually playing into that because he's stacking it. He's explicitly saying, Okay, your payoff matrix looks like shit because you know I'm going to do this, and you don't want to be the person who betrayed me, right, you don't want to be Buddhists in this scenario.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I don't think he's going to be president for much longer. I'm not sure he's going to be an influential political figure for much longer, or in good health if he is already for much longer. Right, Look, I have an article I'm running on I'll finish for newsletter subscribers after we finished taping this podcast. I think Biden has a weekend and it's running a pretty bad bluff. And I think who select to go into politics tend to be what I would call knits meeting there. We've used that term before on the show, right, And it's like a neurotic riskivers person, and elected Democrats are like neurotic and riskivers and also very people pleasing. You advance in the party by by building alliances and the different constituents and commitments you have finding ways to balance those pleasing donors, which sounds like the worst thing in the world to me, right, to have like some rubber chicken dinner where you're pleasing these donors who are rich but have dumb opinions about politics most of the time.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, Yes, you know that sounds like that chicken, especially public offer IPO chicken because when you go to IPO dinners, they always serve this rubber chicken.
Speaker 1: So yes, they have IPO chicken dinners.
Speaker 3: That life sounds like torture to me. You couldn't fucking pay me enough to be a fucking center or something like that. However, it selects for people who are not inclined to rock the boat. But look, there are several things here. What is that Biden has Clearly the first move was to get Biden to take a hint gently. I mean, the first move is you hope that he kind of is aware of the situation on his own right. The first move is said, get Biden to take the hit gently and then maybe not so quite so gently, where you start to have anonymous leaks and then you have backbenchers meaning relatively obscure members of Congress kind of saying, hey, you should think about this. As far as I know, as far as any reporting has suggested, there has not been like a posse of senior leaders who has gone to the White House and said, Joe, we're not fucking around. You're gonna lose, You're gonna embarrass your party, You're gonna embarrass your position in history. It's time to stand down. So far as I know, that hasn't happened. Really, they have kind of gone halfway up the escalatory spiral, but they haven't really used their best ammunition yet. Never mind these nuclear options like the conscious Clause or the twenty fifth Amendment is an amendment to the US Constitution that CanCERN if a president is unable to carry out his duties and the cabinet can say that the vice president ought to take over. I also think that like they haven't fully played the Kamala Harris card, and I want to talk about Harris in kind of the second half of this segment. But like you know, one of the ironies is that the Congressional Black Caucus has been what's helped Biden to save ground, to salvage ground so far right, I don't think there have been any Congressional Black Caucus members who have come out yet and said that Biden should step aside. There have been many who said that he should not step aside, and so you know that has been very helpful to him. But if Biden were to step aside, the most likely replacement would be, you know, the first woman president or the first woman. I guess, you know, I know you would take over immediately, But like, but Kamala Harris, who could become the first woman president and a black woman and an Asian woman as well, So it seems like I don't really buy. Look, my preference is that you'd have some type of voter input, more open nomination process. But like, it seems like, do they really prefer Biden to a black vice president who was at this point in her life much more capable than he is? Right, eighty one year old Biden's not more capable than Kamala Harris. I mean, he's not right, he's not prosecuting the case against Trump. He's not capable of like being up time when you need a potential crisis. I mean, you can think Kamala Harris is a mediocre at best politician, which I do, and she might not be your cup of tea. But like, but it's just a bizarre argument that like, you know, so I think if if they said, Okay, we might not have enough leverage to have this West Wing Aaron Sorkin fantasy convention, that Nate Silver might like, right, do you not have the leverage to say, let's agree that Kamala Harris is a less bad option, right, she is capable of actually prosecuting the case against Trump. You're not lying to the American public about her fitness for office, and you know what, she'll probably lose, but like, but Biden's probably gonna lose too. Like, what's the world in which Biden wins that Harris doesn't win. I mean, it's like the world where Biden win, involved world where the polling is so far off that we don't know what I'm gonna begin with, or where like Trump goes to jail or something, and like, like any Democrat can win into those conditions, any any halfway competent democrat. Maybe we're not gonna get more than a halfway competent option. But like, I mean, look, we're in Nevada, not Nevada, right, Nevada Nevada's And you see ads in Nevada because it's a swing state, which New York is not. Saw some Spanish language ad for example, where they're like, you know, Joe Biden is very competent, he is a steady hand, and like he does not have a steady hand. I mean literally, I'm not sure he has a steady hand. Anymore. I don't mean to diagnosed semtically, but like, but you can't project we are the campaign that is just a steady hand competence, no chaos anymore. Right, that cat is out of the bag. It's too late for that. You're selling people on a lie like it just you know, the honest thing to do is to say, we chose this woman to be vice president, and she has served as vice president for three and a half years. Now, at any moment she could become president. Joe Biden could have a heart attack, there could be some type of attack on whenever Joe Biden is located. We elected people elected Kamala Harris to be vice president and clearly you're in a situation where she is more fit to be president than Biden over the next four years. And like, what's it say about her or what's it say about like how cynical the decision was, Like maybe you picked her in June twenty twenty because you're in a period summer twenty twenty when you're in a period where there's a lot of this racial reckoning, so called right, but she is a center from California, She's been in this attorney right, she is like someone who I think is generally regarded as being very smart and competent. The problems were mostly the fact that like that, like politically she wasn't a very compelling hand ain't unless have some upside potential, But like, what is it saying that these people don't trust her in a circumstance where she you know, I think obviously it seems more fit for the job now, let alone for four more years.
Speaker 2: So what I but I actually so, I don't think we're I don't think what we're seeing is as much what it says about Kamala Harris. I think it's more what we're saying about delusion and doubling down, and what's going on psychologically with kind of with the Democratic Party and with Biden himself. So I think there are a few different real real fallacies happening here and real real issues. The first is that Democrats are saying, you know, Biden is a good man, like we can convince him to step down by kind of these these subtle hence, these subtle you know, he'll see the light. What they don't understand is that when you attack someone's core identity, right who they are, how they see themselves, what their reason for being is. That does not work, and what ends up happening is you double down and you really do not see kind of the light. And I think that's that's even worse with Biden right now, because he is degrading a little bit when it comes to cognitive capacity. We all know see the world through rose colored glasses, you know, have this kind of better than average effect where we think we're you know, better, et cetera, et cetera. But in the case of someone who is president right, who has that kind of hubris, who's been reinforced over and over and over, that's going to be completely doubled. I've wrote an article a number of years ago from The New Yorker called I Don't Want to be Right, and it's basically about how difficult it is to get people to change their minds when the essence of who they see themselves as is attacked. And so relying on Biden and trying to appeal to his good nature to step aside, that is not going to work. And we see that actually backfiring right now. We see Biden saying, you know, I'm not going to step aside. I'm going to fight, and it's obviously not helped that he has people around him like Hunter likes Joe Biden who are telling him, Oh, no, this is great, this is wonderful. And then the flip side of that is that you have this party that is a.
Speaker 1: Little bit kind of I don't know if diluted.
Speaker 2: Is the right term. It's a little strong, but it might be correct. So I think we've talked on the pod before, maybe not about how I see the Trump supporters as basically being cult followers, right, doesn't matter what happens, They're in this cult. So they're going to rationalize everything away. No red flags are actually red flags, and instead they're going to kind of go through this cognitive dissonance reduction so that they end up saying, no, this is still the best candidate, this is wonderful, this is great, like no matter what, we're voting for him. And I actually see think we're seeing a little bit of that in the Democratic Party, where it's not a cult, but it's more like Stockholm syndrome ish where they're also rationalizing away the red flags. And I think that actually intersects with what you were talking about with the risk aversion factor, because they're scared and they're scared of taking this kind of this gamble. They're scared of doing something unprecedented, and that is self reinforcing. So you have that, and then you have the kind of the delusion of no, everything's going to be okay. This isn't actually a red flag. He just had a bad day. And the more you rationalize, the easier it becomes to rationalize, and the more you actually start believing that this is reality. Because in the immediate aftermath of the debates, you were like, holy shit, were fucked right, And then like the next day you're like, oh, well, maybe it wasn't so bad. And then two days later you're like, Okay, really it wasn't so bad. You know, you kind of start rewriting history, you start rewriting the way that you perceive it, and you end up in this place where you're pretty divorced from reality. And that is a really dangerous place to be. And I think that might be kind of where we are right now.
Speaker 3: So let's say I commission you some I'm Barack Obama, right and you're my PhD Columbia psychologists, and I say I need to devise a plan to get Joe fucking Biden to quit, and I have a week to do it before we reach the point of no return. I can use any trick in the book, as long as it's not illegal, any psychological trick in the book. What is a plan to make Joe Biden think it's in his best interest to quit? Or is it not a matter of or is a matter of playing pure hardball?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I think I think that there can be too approaches to it. First, I think you do need to be completely straightforward with him and straightforward with the people around him. Right, you need to sit Hunter and Jill down as well and be like, stop fucking around, like this is bad, right, and get that, get that out of the way. But then I think you need to be straightforward with him, and you need to do it in a way that does not attack who he is, but actually reinforces it and says, you know, you want to go down in history as the great president who stopped Donald Trump. The only way to do that is by stepping aside. These are all the amazing things that you would be doing. This does not make you look weak. It's not because you're old. Of course, we know you're competent. Of course, we know what you're doing the other people are idiots, though, and you need to understand political perception. You need to understand, you know, how people are reacting. They're not rational, but it doesn't matter because you know that's who we're dealing with. So you need to be the bigger man and do the right thing. And you're smart enough to do it. You're competent enough to do it. You know, you're brilliant, use your brilliant mind to step aside and do the strategically correct thing to save the country from the brink of disaster. So you're doing several things right. You're playing to his ego. You're not saying he's weak, you're not saying he's too old, you're not saying you're not attacking him in ways that make him feel attacked. And instead you're trying to say, okay, how do you cement your legacy? And honestly, I might even do something like pull the RBG card and say, you know, let's let's look at RBG. You know someone who was this absolutely brilliant mind.
Speaker 3: Charles Carls Dickens film where the Ghost of RBG Comes.
Speaker 2: From, the Ghost of RBG comes. You know, I can dress up as RBG. You said, pull out all the stops, right, we can get some CGI special effects and I might be a little taller than she is, but you know, we'll figure it out actually work.
Speaker 3: Because Biden said, if the God Almighty came down right, Like, I'm thinking there's like a twenty percent chance, like if you actually stage that in the clever way, would actually work. And I'm like, I had some vision and like, you know, give him some stroom gummies. It's probably it's probably probably illegal. I didn't mean to suggest that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're not going to do anything illegal, but yeah, I mean you could even pull that RBG card the ghosts of the ghosts justice has passed and saying, you know, I bet, like I actually bet that if we if we got the ghost of RBG on the pod, she'd regret her decision after she saw what happened. You know, she was a smart woman. She just let her ego get in the way. And I think that that's what's happening here. And you can compare, I mean, if you compare, Biden, like, I think the key also is to find other good historical precedents of people who he admires and who he thinks you know, are strong leaders who did something like this, who you can be like. You know, you can be like or you can be like RBG right, like you can do you can do these things. And it's not about you the whole thing, right, we always talk about you look at all these presidential addresses over you know, hundreds of years, and it's all about it's not about you, it's about the country. It's about the greater good. And so to try to kind of get to that and have him hear it, and the only way he's going to hear it is if he doesn't feel attacked, and if he doesn't feel like you're disrespecting him, if he doesn't feel billittled, if he doesn't feel like you're talking to him like an old man. Because he does not see himself that way, I think it's really important to project to him the way that he sees himself. He sees himself as still that young, capable senator who can do anything. In the debate, that became very clear because when he was asked, you know, what do you say about the age about the age complaints, he was like, well, I used to be the youngest, and everyone is complaining about my age. Well, that doesn't answer the question, but that actually gives you a really really interesting psychological lens into what's going on in his head. In his mind, he's still the youngest, he can still make it work. He just has off days. He is doing that exact same rationalization, and I think he truly truly believes it. I do not think he thinks he's slipping, and he can rationalize away like one bad day, et cetera, et cetera. And if he actually has diminished cognitive capacity, then once again it's going to be much that much more difficult for him to see reality. So the way the best con artists operate is to sell people the vision of the world that they already believe is true. And so here I'm suggesting we use the persuasion tactics of con artists to try to gently get persuade Biden to do what's best and make make him think that it's his own idea. That's the other thing that they do. Right, Instead of saying like give me your money, they make me say, Nate, you know, I think you really want to give me your money.
Speaker 1: And you're like, hey, you know what, Maria, I.
Speaker 2: Really want to give you my money, and so I think that's what we need to do with Biden, so that he ends up thinking himself, you know what, maybe I do want to step down. Maybe this is really for the best of everything, and maybe this is how I cement my legacy as the great man that I know that I am.
Speaker 3: What's challenging is that you have two kind of games in the sense of things that game theory might apply to going on at once. On the one hand, you have this private tactic that you're talking about, right, and the senators, supposed to the representatives are mostly saying things like, well, I was troubled the Susan Collins if you're a politics and I was troubled by what I saw on the debate, And I've gone back to my constituents to see what they think. But I wouldn't want to make a decision on behalf of Joe Biden, the greatest man who ever lived. It's like that kind of shit, like that.
Speaker 1: You should become a voice actor.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Maria. I think that's kind of maybe the right play in terms of the psychology of it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: However, you also have this thing where all these Democrats think Joe Biden should quit. And they have a collective action problem and kind of a preference cascade problem where people are acting differently than what they really think, you know. And so what Biden did on Monday is they kind of rounded up all of the people I think they could who would go on record for whatever selfish or unselfish reason or naive or not naive reason, you know, AOC and all these Democrats kind of when I record instead of course he has to be our nominee. It's not actually that many as a share of the caucus, but like, you know, but they're not worried about the preference cascade game. They're coming out and saying what they actually think, or maybe actually they're saying things that they don't actually believe but like but that they don't bear as much of a personal cost, or at least they don't think so, or or the presidents calling in favors or whatever else. So he made this aggressive move to like reverse this momentum and staunch the bleeding for how long I don't know. I mean, the fundamental problem is that he doesn't have the goods, right, He doesn't have the goods to run a normal campaign, and his slim chances, which aren't zero, but slim rests on you know, something about the information environment that we don't understand, or something that hasn't happened yet, some other dilemma that makes Trump even know nothing seems to change Trump's numbers. On principle, you could imagine. I'm not sure what that way now.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't imagine anything on principle.
Speaker 2: But I actually thought about one other thing that is happening right now that we've talked about before in a past episode that can be a data point for people to use with Biden and was convincing him that sometimes these gambles pay off. Macron and France like, holy shit, you know what happened in the second round of elections when when people thought the National Front was going to sweep it and might become, you know, the majority, that didn't happen, right, that it actually his gamble kind.
Speaker 3: Of you know, we were we were a little bit wrong.
Speaker 1: It kind of paid off.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll see, right, we'll see what happens. But the country really came together to stop this threat, and he did something completely unprecedented. You know, we we thought that it was totally insane, and now we see that. Oh wow, Like it's not it's not just because the country actually are in le Pen got like thirty nine percent of the vote by far the largest.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, But however, predicted adults in the room acted like adults, and they said, what happens. You had very high turnout in all these constituencies, So like three candidates qual five for the ballot. You'd often have a right wing candidate, a centrist and elect wing candidate and the left in the center agree that in every constituency where one of us finished their third place, right, if it's first, two will battle it out, right, but like if one finished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it worked, actually worked, They did it. They had the third.
Speaker 3: Bar twenty twenty in an amnic way when Democrats said, we are in the middle of an impending pandemic and we don't want to really left wing nomine like Bernie. And you can say that was the wrong decision or unfair to Bernie, but they did get Biden elected and they were able to like close down that primary pretty quickly. And so like you know, the notion that Biden is like running some anti elite campaign. First of all, he calls into like fucking like mourning Joe the like breakfast cereal of like the most elite political elites in the country, right to complain about how I mean it's very Trumpian or Nixonian. It's Trumpian. I mean, it's not like I'm not playing around with this. I'm being fucking both sides. I think. I think Joe Biden has acted more and more like Richard Dixon and Donald Trump in recent days. But like you know, he was appointed to positions by decisions made by elites. He finished in eighth place in the two thousand and eight Democratic primary or something, and and Barack Obama appointed him as his vice president. Right in twenty twenty, there was an intervention on his behalf. I think he might have eventually won maybe anyway, it was probably pretty close between him and burning other people. But there was an intervention by all these party elites to like Maximiz's chances as much as possible. So who the fuck is he is to think that he didn't earn this for being like the most impressive order or in America or the smartest person, right, I mean, if we're being fucking honest, like of the of the forty six hownty persons that it's at forty six, I'm losing my train to that. Yeah. Yes, in terms of what he's accomplished outside of politics, he's like not in the upper half of like no.
Speaker 2: But he but if you say this to him, like in his mind, he will have rewritten history, right, Like that's the way that self serving bias works, especially when you're in that position of power and you get that reinforced. He does not remember that it wasn't him. He does not remember that he finished aith. I mean, obviously he remembers, but he has already rationalized a bit away as I was always the best choice. I was going to win regardless. But what the Democrats need to remember is they made it happen. Right, So let's forget Biden. Like he's not gonna he's gonna say like I made it happen. But what the party needs to understand is that collective action is actually possible. And we just saw it in France, where that coordination worked and the fact that the candidates worked together, that they put aside their egos, that they stepped aside, you know, that they did what was right, and that, as you said, they behaved like adults. Why can't our country behave like adults. They're behaving like fucking children. Like it's really like both parties and you, you know what you said. The reason that I started saying that some of the things I was saying about connartists and cults, et cetera, and Trump, I'm now applying to the Democrats, that is because I kind of agree with you that Biden is acting in those ways more right now than he ever has in the past. And of course all politicians have a little bit of kind of that bent to them because you have to convince people to do things all the time. But he now is becoming increasingly divorced from reality and from what's going on. And as soon as your decisions become driven by ego as opposed to, you know, by what you should be doing as a politician the country, et cetera, et cetera, that's when things start to go wrong. So I but, as I said, let's let's call on the Democratic Party to actually remember who got him there, and that they are capable of doing big things like this, and that we now we see evidence that this works, and it's worked in other countries, and it's worked in our country, and why not try it again? Because yeah, it might not work, but what we're doing right now shures hell ain't working.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, if he is not able to process this, then maybe we should to book the twenty fifth Amendment. I mean it's kind of like, you know, I don't like the people around Biden. With them, would you play hardball or is that still about it? Because if for me, I'd be like, first of all, every fucking piece of dirt that we have on he was going to come out unless he quits in a week, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the people the people around Biden are different from Biden. With them, I would play hardball. With Biden, I wouldn't be you know, I would start off with the strategy that I already that I already outlined. The people around Biden, that's totally different. Yeah, with them, you absolutely play hardball. And this is where you just go down and dirty and you do what you need to do to get them to act and to actually light a fire under their asses so that they do what needs to be done for the good of the country, because right now, you know, they've been left alone and that's not working. Whatever's happening right now is not working.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if you're some senior Biden's staffer. Right, what if you turn out to be the whistleblower and you write an not that for the New York Times and go on all the TV shows, come on this podcast and say Biden is not fit to be president. We've been propping it. We put it a much more diplomatic way. Obviously Biden was a great man, right, but as as time has evolved, he has had more and more challenges with day to day tasks. And I cannot get conscious not convey this to the American people anymore, Right, And I think he should step aside and let his extremely talented elected Vice president Kamala Harris be the nominee instead. Right, First of all, if if your cards play right, you might look like a genius for doing that. Although there's one other problem, which is that, like if let's say Kamala Harris has like a I'm going to give you if you've listened this far, and I'm gonna give you some numbers. Right, Let's say she has a thirty five or forty percent chance to win, and Biden has a twenty percent chance to win if he if he's forced to stay in, Right, I think it might.
Speaker 2: Be high, but these numbers, Yeah, I was going to say, are these numbers based on your model?
Speaker 3: The models is twenty nine percent. But there's one big problem with that, which is a model assumes that like Joe Biden is capable of running the type of campaigns, running the type of campaign that feeds a data in the model. Right, if you took Joe Biden right now in a hole and replaced him with an average Democrat John Kerry, maybe Joe Biden twenty twenty, who was notably a better performer, right, you know, if you put like an average Democrat in his shoes, Hubert h Humphrey or something, then I think twenty nine percent, the most recent reading, you know, might be reasonable. However, I don't think he's capable of running a normal campaign at all. He hasn't been so far. Every media cycle has been distracted, was going to turn into a distruction about like his age and performance and things like that. There's another debate coming up, so like, I think the chances might be if i'm you know, if i'm kind of I mean, my gut is the chancellor zero right now. I don't weigh my gut that heavily. My gut is like, there's just no fucking way then America is gonna like this guy for another four years, just fundamentally untenable. And he's already behind. Now he's fallen further behind. So if I average twenty nine percent zero, then you get in the fifteen percent range or whatever. Right, a kind of balancing head and model. And the reason why in this case I think it's important not to go up pure model is that there's not a precedent in circumstance for this, right, there's not a circumstance where like the canon is so obviously not ready to run a normal campaign anymore. And I think also like in a more technical matter, like we still haven't had that much high quality state polling since a debate, the model's being a little bit conservativebout it. So I bet on the model being twenty five percent anyway, that's where I get to, like fifteen or twenty percent. I think it's not zero, but like in Harris, I think might be double that roughly.
Speaker 2: Which is huge, by the way, even if we're below fifty percent, double Biden is huge.
Speaker 3: A lot of Marie on the turn picked up a lot of outs or hand looked back exactly. It picked up like a straight fluster on the turn. Not too bad badly.
Speaker 1: Now we have a combo draw.
Speaker 3: Combo draw, maybe even heading a pair. Maybe we hit that queen and the combo draw. Maybe that would be good. You never know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, and and so so I think that it seems to me, you know, last time we were talking about different options, I think that we agree that Kamala is kind of the best option given given where we are, just in terms of the fact that you know, she has all the machinery in place, she has all of the funds in place. You know, she gets to use the however many like ninety one million dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't want the machinery the best part of kom Will you get rid of this fucking incompetent Biden staffers? Right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But but she gets to use the money that has been you that has been raised for the for the Biden Harris ticket.
Speaker 1: She gets to use kind of she she.
Speaker 2: Is already someone who doesn't need to start from not zero, but from a from a much lower point. And right now, you know, getting to that double Biden's numbers seems to be a victory. But I think we should be taking every edge, right, take every edge you get.
Speaker 3: But let's say that kam Leg gets nominated and the sixty percent chance roughly that she loses got someone that plays out in our world. I guess you look bad then, right, because then you're like, well, you know, Joe, if only Joe Biden had stayed in I mean, this is but this is where like this, I think people are not willing to admit the untenability of the situation that like, I mean Biden again, the things that would allow him to win are things that would allow any Democrat.
Speaker 1: Anyone win, to win.
Speaker 3: I mean, look and look, I wrote some the New York Times last week. If you compare Democrats polling and Senate races to Biden, they are doing better in literally every single poll, literally every single pole in a say it's both a swing state. They're tied in one excuse me, out of like fifty poles. Democrats are actually doing pretty fucking well down the ballot. It's Biden that's the problem. The reason that's a problem is because he's eighty eighty one years old and is in rapid decline. I think, yeah, that's obvious to anyone with a fucking brain and like it just you can't sell that much of a shit sandwich to voters. It's not something you can compartmentalize because it gets into the very way that he speaks, the very way that he conducts the business of the White House. It's not like he you know, it's not like he screwed some intern and then and you can put that out of your mind.
Speaker 2: Right. No, this is fundamentally the person making our national security decisions, right This is the person who is reacting in times of crisis. This is the person who we turn to for the major executive decisions that matter. And you need someone with very clear executive making capacity, which I think right now he lacks. Now, of course, I'm I'm just gonna say this goes without saying because a lot of people are like the what about is and with well what about Trump? Yeah, of course, like Trump lacks it too. Trump should step aside, blah blah blah. That ain't happening, So like let's let's not let's not worry about that. To the people listening right now and being like, well, you know, what about No, not what about?
Speaker 1: Like Trump is awful?
Speaker 2: He can't think clearly, He's you know, he's too old, he has cognitive problems. We don't want him with the nuclear codes, you know, he but he is not stepping aside. So so that's just going to I just want to like get that, get that out of the way.
Speaker 3: Look, if you detect like a little peak in my tone, in Maria's tone today, I mean there's two things. Like one, I'm just offended by strategic stupidity and high stake situations right, although, to be fair, we don't know what individual motives are and that gets complicated. But also like I feel angry as a voter that I am not offered an acceptable alternative. I said last week, I'm not going to vote. I'm not going to vote for Biden. I'm not in a swing state. I don't know because.
Speaker 1: I'm in Nevada. Yeah, and he's come.
Speaker 2: But I hope that I don't have to write I really really hope that I'll be voting for Harris or for for whoever replaces him. I truly hope that, because you know, of course I will vote for Biden, but I do it kind of with a heavy heart because I don't want Trump to win. So let's just say, let's just put it out there, there's no way that Trump is withdrawing from the race. That just ain't happening. So there's only one party that exists that has the option of actually giving us a good candidate that we want to vote for, and that's the Democrats. So please, Joe Biden, now is the time be a hero withdraw from the race and do it now.
Speaker 3: Marie, I think I need something relaxing to talk about, like high stakes pumper tournaments instead, let's do it.
Speaker 2: We are in the middle of the largest main event in World Series of Poker history night so records were broken ten one hundred and twelve something like that. People, an insane number of people are out here in Vegas going for that ten million dollar first prize.
Speaker 3: So I'm of the roughly, what is it like sixty five hundred of the ten and twelve that are no longer in the tournament, you are in the four thousand or something that are tell me about how it's gone for you so far?
Speaker 1: So far.
Speaker 2: So we're about to start day three, so this means that we're not in the money yet, so there's still quite a ways to go until then. So far, the tournament has been very up and down for me, but I have I've not been running well, so Nate, I'm keeping track of our prop bet and yesterday I actually lost every single all in except for one tiny one, so and I would get it and I was an overwhelming favorite. I got two out of three times. My table thought this was very, very amusing. But I kept building back and being able to survive, and honestly, that's the key. So right now I'm going to have about fifty big lines heading into day three, which is totally fine, right, It's solid, it's not huge. I'm not one of the big stacks, but I'm not one of the micro stacks. And what's really really important to remember in an event like this, which lasts over many days, is survival matters.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's one of these things where even if you don't have a huge chip stack, as long as you have some chips and as long as you pick your spots, then you're in it. And of course this is poker, so anything can happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I did have a couple of moments where I could have been knocked out, and I took the more conservative line and it served me well. And so I'm proud of not of lasting through those but who knows. As you get shallower, you know, when I have two hundred big lines, it's much easier to avoid those.
Speaker 1: It's much easier to find the fold.
Speaker 2: When you have fifty and you have you know, said, when you're in a situation like that, at some point you can't fold.
Speaker 3: It's a tricky tournament because on the one hand, there are inclinations to be riskivers yourself. On the other hand, everyone else thaks the same way, so it can kind of like can kind of devolve into a game of Chicken a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was never getting very much going as far as like hitting hands right. So mostly ups and downs involved different types of bluffs. I tried to run, some successfully, some not. But you can run pretty big bluffs in the in the main event. People don't want to lose all their chips and get and get knocked out. Yeah, but yeah, I don't have a great narrative. I mean I was kind of just you know, remaining very patient because you can just like, oh, I lost like ten pots in a row, and because you have so many chips, and like you actually it's not affecting you all that much. But at some point, kind of late on day two. If you'd ever played the event, that's when the blinds start to creep up enough. You know, goes from one thousand big bline to fifteen hundred and then two thousand in two levels. Right, that's a doubling in two levels. And that's where a lot of people like me start to get knocked out or in a situation where where there was actually a cost to being patient, right where it's like, yeah, I just you know, I went I know if I wanted to technical about the terms, right, but like I shoved, I went all in with with the okay hand because I thought I had a lot of full equity. I've been playing very tight. I thought I had a good image. But you can have a good image of the m the theifona has kings, then it doesn't matterimes you.
Speaker 1: Just run into it.
Speaker 2: You know. Sometimes it's a good spot. You made the right decision and they just have they just have it, and those those situations are going to happen, and that doesn't mean you made the wrong decision.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Once again, this is to go back to what we've talked about a lot, and to tie this a little bit back to politics. The process is what matters, and you can't be you know, outcome oriented. If you made the right decision for the right reasons, even if you ended up losing, you can't be mad at yourself. So you know, if you ran the right bluff, went all in with the right hand, picked the right spot, and they just happened to have it, so be it. But at least you know that you did everything possible to put yourself in the situation to win. And I think that everyone would do well too to remember that lesson and to not be.
Speaker 1: Like, but what happens if I lose? I can't.
Speaker 2: You cannot have that sort of risk averse thinking going in that said, you know, I'm going to you know, my plan for today is to just play well, try to pick good spots, and hope for the best, because you do need to you do need to run well in these in these tournaments, and patience is important and not panicking is really really important because a lot of people when they start, you know, when their chips start going down, they start making decisions they shouldn't, They start taking risks they shouldn't to try to build back up, and that's not a good mindset. So I will try to be zen going into.
Speaker 3: The day and the main event. I mean benefits for people who have made like a deep run before. I think, I mean, you see one thing that was good. I made this deep run last year, which will not be repeated now obviously, But like you, you get that monkey off your back, and I felt loose. In What I think is I think you'd mostly rather be looser than tighter when you're playing poker. I don't mean in terms of like how you construct your ranges, right, that's a different type of looser tight yep. I mean in terms of, like, in terms of your vibe and your mood. I I don't think there's any harm from looking at the main event as quote just another poker tournament, right, I think that's more good than harmful. Now that might mean that, like now, strategically, their differences I don't apply to any other tournament, right. And there are things like it's more worth it to get your rest and your fitness and eat well instead of the cheap burger or whatever right on the break, right, the expected value difference is higher. But like you know, people who have success in the main tend to have repeated success because they've been there before. And I have anything to prove, and like, I think that's usually that's usually helpful any tournament where patience is very rewarded.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely so. So you know, here here's hoping that I will be rewarded today. I will do my best, but whatever happens, I just hope that I'm happy with my decisions at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: May you want to wrap it up? I mean I think, you know, yeah, a lot of politics, a little bit poker, but trust me, listeners, it'll be the reverse of that in some episodes in the future.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: But with that, I am going to go and prepare to play day three of the main I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to go and enter some other event where I'm sad. I'm sad, sad with the losers, the loser bracket.
Speaker 1: Good luck, good luck. You are my favorite loser.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kannakova and.
Speaker 3: Me Nate Silver.
Speaker 2: The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isabelle Carter. Our associate producer is Gabriel Hunter Chang. Our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein.
Speaker 3: And if you want to listen to and add free version. Sign up for Pushkin Plus for six thirty nine a month, you get access to ad free listening. Thanks for tuning in.