Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It's Monday, June ninth, and the Ravens wrapped up another day of organized team activities and after practice we had a chance to hear from a few players and coaches. First up, Malachi Starks.
Speaker 2: There's there's levels to football and just the knowledge and the accumulation that we have in our room, not just in the dB room, but in the linebackers room, in the D line room, even on the offense side of all the tight ends room receivers. Just being able to really get out here and watch guys and learn how they move and how they see the game of football from a different perspective than I do has been huge for me.
Speaker 3: Where do you feel like you've grown the most since arriving for rookie camp. I know it wasn't that long, you know, but there's been a lot of football between now and then.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing for me is the landmarks. So the field is completely different than college. And when I first got here, I could feel myself like they would say if my job was at the numbers, I was going to the college numbers, but I was missing the the league numbers. So just being able to work on that, you know, stay after practice and just watch a lot of tape and just kind of reprogram myself into this is where I'm supposed to be at has been the challenging thing, but it's it's getting a lot better with all the help and you know, all the reps that I'm getting is huge in my development.
Speaker 4: Okay, like you're playing more in a free safety role, I guess I would say, do you do you appreciate playing one position as opposed to being moved around a lot of love New Gildren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like being anywhere. From being honest, we talk about as a positionless defense, So just being able to move around. I've been playing a lot of free safety, but I've also been to other safety and I got some ups to dom as well. So just being able to move around. We have a lot of guys that move around, just the way our defense is set up, you know when you look at it, you know, you see Kyle everywhere, you see Marlin everywhere. Uh, you know, guys move around a lot here and there. So just really really being able to dive into one thing and expand my mind from that has been a great opportunity.
Speaker 4: Not the same position, but in the secondary it's Marlin Like for you as as a mentor guy who's been doing it for so long, it's such a high level.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, Marlin's a great vat man.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Just being able to we were just sitting over here talking, so just being able to like learn from him and just all the ball that he's seeing, all the people that he's played with, just for me to be able to sit in the same meeting room be like, hey, like when they do this, what do you think about this? Or whatever? And then just you know his character. I mean, he's a he's a funny, goofy guy. I mean, not what I expect him to be whatsoever. Uh, He's He's awesome, man. I'm blessed to be here with a vet like him and a lot of the guys in the room here. John talk a lot about what he's learning how to practice as a professional, like part have you?
Speaker 4: How do you feel like you've done with that? And is there anybody on the team that.
Speaker 5: You kind of watching and maybe taking some little practice happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not saying I had all figured out, but uh, I H I had pretty good practice. Coming from the University of Georgia, they always talked about practicing loc a pro so staying off the ground, being smart, taking care of your teammates, things like that. I mean, it's the same thing here. And I've been watching a lot of the older Vets as well, Like I said, not just from my room but everywhere, just to saying, you know, how they disengage from a block, how they handle the situation when it comes up, because you know, every place is a little different. So just being able to watch guys and take what I already know and figure it out as I go, That's what I've been doing.
Speaker 1: So you come down to.
Speaker 6: Break up there in the short passing practice today. How much faster do you feel like you're playing now again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot. And I think that just comes with the knowledge of the defense. You know, the more you learn, the faster you can play. You can be free. And I think, you know, I just want to keep expanding my knowledge and keep diving into the system.
Speaker 4: In the past game against you're kind of like, man that I.
Speaker 5: Didn't know that guy had that.
Speaker 4: You're talking about here or here, who's been hard, who's been harder to come up?
Speaker 2: That's tough. Uh Isaiah I had a repp against Isaiah the other day and he he's a lot quicker than what he looks on TV and in person. So uh, like I said, you know, just being able to learn from him, you know, just the knowledge that he's had while he's been here. I mean, just the way he does things. You know, every tight end is a little different, but you know, he's very quick, he very knowledge about the game of ball. So just being able to go against him, it's only making me better.
Speaker 3: Pagano obviously stands out as a former NFL head coach. He worked with Ed Reid when Ed was at Miami, and he worked with the Mere Baltimore. What are your impressions of someone like that who has that kind of experience and what he can teach you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I told I told Chuck when I first got here. I was like, you remind me of Musshamp a lot. Will Muschamp. I was like, you know, its fiery, Uh must jamp is snap in a minute. But I was like, just just the way they go about their business, you know, and just like the knowledge of football that they both have. Just he texted me like at five this morning, Uh, with film from Thursday practice. Uh, and I woke up. I was like, okay, cool, Like that makes sense. So just being able to have somebody like that's how that's how I wanna be coach. I received that very well. So just being able to have somebody like that in my corner, I mean, it's a blessing.
Speaker 1: You were a leader.
Speaker 7: I'm at Georgia Defense, very active communicator. How do you balance that when you're coming to the pros and learning a new playbook with new teammates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think the first thing is, you know, don't don't bite off more than you can chew.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: So just really realizing, you know my place in this defense, in this organization, and you gotta know what to do before you can start demanding stuff from other people. I think as a leader, you know, you shouldn't ask somebody to do something that you wouldn't do with yourself. And it's also you know, when I got to University of Georgia, I had to learn how to follow the right people before I could lead, and that really taught me how to move around while watching people lead while becoming a leader myself. So it's nothing new. Uh, I think I'm still gonna lead in the same way that I've always led, and I think I'm gonna use that with the other guys that's also leading here as well, and just trying to you know, figure out my mode in the in the organization.
Speaker 6: Nothing you mentioned learning.
Speaker 8: From different guys can maybe have different perspectives from me. Where some of the guys that have help, do you see things and ways that you hadn't seen anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think the biggest guy is Roquan Uh, just him being that, you know, the voice of the defense. But also I watched all of his tape when he was at Georgia. Uh so just it's a cool moment for me. But just to see the way that he handle his business and you know, he's he's super smart. Like I said, you gotta learn what to do before you can start telling people what to do. And uh he has that respect from everybody on the team. So just watching him and how he moves and you know, even the guys on the offense, you know, the guy's just moving different way and it works in different ways and everybody has to leave in the same way. So just really trying to figure out, you know, take pieces from everybody and put it into my own mold you ever watch any No, I didn't. I didn't go watch I didn't go to a Georgia game til I was a recruit and he was gone by then. But uh I did watch a lot of his tape for sure.
Speaker 6: Even though you're in different rooms this group on ever look at the field with you and kind of go over stuff.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't. We haven't really got a chance to to connect. I think, you know, I'll go home and I'll watch the tape and I come in with questions and I ask uh here and there. But I think when things start to, you know, pick back up, we will get the opportunity and I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: And then one kind of warning what next week may look like when Lamar is here and more guys are here and it just increases with the management many camp.
Speaker 8: But what that's gonna be like?
Speaker 2: You yeah, I think, uh yes, And no, you know, he's he's a really big part his team, and you know, at the end of the day, ball is ball. And you know, when he was here, I got a chance to go on the field with him and just you know, see how he moves. Uh you know, you watch him on so all, you watch him on TV and it's like, I don't know, it's crazy to see it in person, but uh, just to be able to learn from him and just kind of watch how he moves and you know, it's only gonna bring the energy up more when he gets here, and you know some of the other guys as well. So I'm excited. All right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Next up, Travis Jones.
Speaker 8: This year, what have you worked on to try to step into that?
Speaker 9: Just going to year four? Just be trying to be more vocal, trying to help gods on little details, techniques and stuff, those little things like that. Yeah, how hard is that?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 5: Er n It's just not your nature to be that vocal out on God.
Speaker 7: But you know, if you wanna be the leader, it's required.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I gotta just gotta get used to doing the uncomfortable things like speaking up more. Like the other day, coach having me break down the huddle, I was a little uncomfortable. I'm getting more comfortable with it now.
Speaker 6: Is that something you were intentional.
Speaker 3: About the soft season or I thinking like that.
Speaker 9: Or is it kind of happen out for Uh? Nah, I wasn't n n on the front of my mind, but it just it started coming to more national I'm getting more comfortable with it now, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: What's some of the mentality is if like the year's retired and I know you started taking a lot of it snaps last year, but you know, kind of filling that role to a degree. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Uh no, Mike p was a great player, so I got a lot of big shoes to feel. But I'm just gonna come out here, work my hardest and try my best, for sure.
Speaker 8: That's uh.
Speaker 4: In twenty three, the second half years, you really took over for Travis, just the pairing with Mell.
Speaker 9: You're gonna say that gain you.
Speaker 4: You took over the pairing with non passing games, and last year almost every stat to play you had Nomny Next year he talked about some of the synergies between the two of you.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, me and Beats all the field were like best friends. So we got that chemistry off the field. So I just tried to play off him and just be out there having fun with him.
Speaker 3: You knew you played through it, but you got up to a really good start last year and you had that ankle injury around like week six, week seven.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 4: How challenging.
Speaker 6: Was it that?
Speaker 3: I mean, you were able to play through it, but did you feel maybe that that zaps some of your upside as a player?
Speaker 9: Maybe I'm saying that my injury last year was frustrating, No knowing well I could have done, but I put that beyond me. That's working forward. I have the best year this year for sure.
Speaker 3: What do you think what does the next step look like for you? I mean, obviously become a starter, you played a lot more.
Speaker 4: What's next for you in your mind?
Speaker 9: For me this year, just being more consistent with the passioners, no beats most of the time, was getting most of the slides. So just got win my one on ones this year mm hm.
Speaker 3: And of the season last year with all of Bubble success and kind of short yards and rest of.
Speaker 6: Stuff, playing with the.
Speaker 4: Guys, how did did at the end of last season playing with you guys with with Buffalo having as much success, you know, the short yards and the reds.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, Buffalo, that's a great team. We just got. It's not it's stuff we did. We just gotta get better from that for for the first game this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, h physically this off season, you gotta even stronger.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I said I got stronger. Uh, I've been. I've been working out here the whole whole year. So I'm gonna give a shot at the keV run and him that's gotten the uh strange stuff for taking cure of me this year.
Speaker 3: Brus, you've been all mentioned.
Speaker 4: As the contential contact and stuff. Is that something that you thought any about or have you got any discussions to the decision bapers.
Speaker 6: New or the base.
Speaker 9: Yeah, nah, that's not that's not That's the last thing on my mind this year. This year, I just want to put the the best tape out there as possible and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 8: Mm hm all right.
Speaker 1: Last, but not least, defensive line coach Dennis Johnson.
Speaker 7: Very defensive linemen on the roster last two years. Sometimes you only have four active due to injuries. Do you think that took a toll the defensive line by the end of the year. There'shigh snap counts. If you have any plans to manage any things.
Speaker 5: That will differently this year at times probably so obviously you have like injuries and different stuff, and you have different team needs and you know how many we take out there. Anytime you're not you know, getting off the field. You know, after the first three plays, are your drives going along, the numbers gonna go up regardless, you know, And I think we're doing a good job right now training for that in case that happens with you know, with the tempos and different piers that we're doing right now. But again, anytime you don't get off the field, that number is gonna go up. So whether it's four or five, we have to do a good job, you know, early in the series making sure that numbers stays.
Speaker 4: Down through less risk of having five instead of four on a weekly basis, or do you ever say, yeah, we could do it four this week.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm always gonna be a proponent for however the most I could carry, you know, And again like just based off the team needs and like who's up and what we need if we have to carry for we we cared for, you know, nobody like blinks an eye. I mean I would love to have five sixt seven if possible, But whatever the team needs is what we roll with.
Speaker 6: Travis Jones took some big strikes last year. Where do you see him even this offseason kind of aggressing in his game?
Speaker 5: You know, getting here around this time last year. Well, you know, my first like ota is getting to know him as an individual and as a player. I would say right now at this point, he's better than he was at this time last year, but still got some strides to make, you know, still got some consistent things that he's continuously work on. But he's done an amazing job, an incredible job of coming out here, stepping up, taking more of a leadership role, being a little bit more vocal. But you know, the play has run stopping ability. His ability to pass rush at that size continues to flourish out here, and so we have to just continue to make sure that he keeps moving in that right direction in this time of the year.
Speaker 9: And there's short questions of John Jenkins and his leadership I think you can bring to this group, especially after Michael retired.
Speaker 5: Yes, ma'am, a very polished vet already in the meet meeting rooms. You can tell his wisdom from being in the league for so long and just talking within the guys, his ability to pick up the playbook and are the way that we play our techniques fairly, quickly, honestly. And then you know, even coming out here today and executing some of those things. So just got to get them familiar with the system. But very impressed with him so far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so how didn't you go think it through effect time last year?
Speaker 5: I you know, anytime you have a lower body injury at you know, really in position, but especially up front, I mean, it weighs on you. But you know, he's he's tough and went out there and was fighting his butt off regardless of you know, whether how many we d linemen we had or the injury. Just a very tough individual. Obviously slowed him down just a little bit. But but yeah, I was, I was proud of him during that time.
Speaker 4: The question that uh, non dematicic cases staff count way up there last year, I mean up there with some of the biggest ravens. Well tip me in a rotational team, do you see that as something that ideally would be cut or do you think it is fine at that level? Y?
Speaker 5: You you don't wanna get too high in general, you know, he he played it well. Obviously I wish I could take some of those snaps off. But I mean with the games on the line or you know it's close in the fourth quarter, I mean you're probably not gonna look at snap reps. You know, you're gonna make sure Numby's out there to help you close the game out. You know, you know, just again when y y, you gotta get off the field early to help you know, maneuver get those numbers down. But again, just over the season, you know, it adds up. But they come out here, they work, they get in really good shape, elite athletes, and I thought I was proud of them. I thought he did well towards the back end. It's a good question, ynis.
Speaker 8: What have you seen from the people so far? And look at you a little bit. He's a little bit undersized, so you can make up for the last.
Speaker 1: Size and part.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, people's has an elite get off, like when you're one of the better ones just here right now, just walking in. Obviously he's gonna have to learn to play a little bit more, you know, technically sound the way that we play here as time goes. But he's taken to it and he's learning, and he cares and he wants to be out there, and so he spending you know, extra time, whether it's with the older guys or with the younger guys and making sure he getting the playbook down. So I have y big expectations for him. I think he's gonna you know, come in and compete and and do well as he continues to grow and learn. This early stage in his career got as.
Speaker 4: An ex traversy feel like more of a neger lately. When did you notice that? Or is it an example how that might have manifested goose kid?
Speaker 5: So you know, just like in in the meeting rooms and y a g a young guy who's inexperience can aks him you know, how how did he play that? And he and he could tell him Mark, he could see something to pull a guy over to the side, you know where there's like you know cj or you know, any of the other younger into your guys or Jason or somebody and be like, hey, you gotta get your eyes right here, you know, listen like coach you know, saying that this is you know exactly what he's saying, and like can walk him through it. Uh as we continue like prick like go through practice. And so just those little things, you know, or things I hadn't really seen, you know, in a great deal for.
Speaker 1: Him from him.
Speaker 5: But it's also he's more comfortable, you know, doing the things that we're exing to do and you know seeing it just you know, in a better position. So that's that's what it relates to.
Speaker 6: His his leadership.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Raven's Press Past podcast. Make sure you hit subscribe and also head over to the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe there as well. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back again tomorrow.