Speaker 1: I am all in. Oh that's just you. I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to the I'm All in Town Meeting with Myself and Suzanne, Episode two. You know, it's so funny going back because again I've seen this so many times and it's just like, wow, everyone was so little.
Speaker 2: I know, I was thinking the same thing, like, Rory looks like she was like nineteen I think when they started filming, but she looks like a fourteen year old a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also I was thinking because this aired in October of two thousand, so they would have filmed earlier that year, or pilot would have been nineteen ninety nine, right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I mean they but they were on the lot, so it was probably like that summer sometimes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the first thing I noticed was we have the most famous Lorelei outfit of all.
Speaker 2: Yes. I think that outfit is like the source of the most Gilmore Girls Halloween costumes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And then someone with that Loreli address as Rory at Chilton.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, And I mean it's easy enough to do, right, You just have to get some.
Speaker 1: Some shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, so yeah, very I mean very timely for this time of year, popular Halloween costume. One thing I noticed right before we got that outfit was they when they showed Lorelei's house before we see that she's still in bed, they showed like the still shot of her house was just so random house.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even because it wasn't the same, It wasn't the same as when she pulled up to the driveway to see the bent right right.
Speaker 2: Right, different, pled like some random stock photo and stuck it in there.
Speaker 1: They also pulled a random stock photo of the Independent fin Yes.
Speaker 2: I noticed again too when they went to Chilton and they were showing like pictures of gargoyles. Yeah, just like they did have some shots of Greystone Mansion, which if you're not from LA, that's a it's a very popular shooting location here in Los Angeles, and I believe it's like a state park or something like that. Now it's not a private red.
Speaker 1: Last week I had a friend who was doing like a one of those like Hall Hollywood towards. It's funny. She lives in Orange County, so it's not like she's never been here, but I think for fun she wanted to do it. Yeah, And one of those locations was sorry, what is it called. It's Greystone Graystone, Yeah, Greystone Manor. And the first thing said her. I was like, that's Chilton. She's like, oh, I know. Like, I'm sure there are hundreds of movies filmed there, but that's what I know. Yeah, the fountain and did I don't know if you felt this way, but Chiltern felt very like not the same in this episode as I perceive it in the rest of the show. Does that make sense, k.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The way the professors were and the way that the headmaster was, it felt very like it kind of made not the same at all. But it made me think of like professors at Hogwarts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do know what I mean. Yeah. One thing that caught my attention was the various classrooms that Rory was in, Like they had the teacher's name written on the board. I'm like, it's already it's not the first day at school there, they're already into the semester, like they're doing projects and things like that. I think the kids and they're high schoolers. Yeah, it's not like second grade where you need to write the teacher's name on the board.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah, and my other flag was like I don't remember what class she was in, but it was they were like, oh, like, we can give you an exam on Monday, and I'm like, so she has five days to figure out an entire semester. And he was like, get someone else's notes, like she doesn't know anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he hands her that notebook that's like that thick and he's like, oh, find some more detailed notes.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, right, I guess. It was like it was kind of the shock of like Chilton's a big deal, but then as the show goes on, you're just like, oh, and my other flag was it's set on her file she's a journalism major. But you don't have majors in high school. Oh. I didn't even catch oh yeah. So when when the student slides her folio to Paris out the window, yeah, reading it, Paris goes, oh, she's a journalism major, and I'm like, in ninth grade, like tenth grade, you don't have a major.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe children is just that advanced.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe, or it's like she would like to be a journalism major. Maybe that's what it was, but didn't when she said it. I'm like, there's taking a course.
Speaker 2: And I also noticed that that her English lit teacher wasn't Max.
Speaker 1: It was Yes, I was waiting for Max, and I'm like, oh, that's not so.
Speaker 2: I guess they hadn't decided yet how how they were going to cast, or maybe Max wasn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because he comes next episode, right, he comes up pretty quick quickly. I thought it was this one.
Speaker 2: I didn't look ahead so I because I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but ye get what the next episode is, but yeah, he comes up pretty quick.
Speaker 1: I also thought it was interesting that in episode one they gave the guy and the diner hitting on Lorelai, and then in this episode it's the dad from Chilton hitting on her. It's like they kind of had to preface like she's very single, they're.
Speaker 2: Well, and they're really emphasizing that she looks really young and she doesn't look, you know, like she's the mother of a six fifteen, sixteen year old, which was the same kind of the same trope with both of these guys, Like both of them were like, oh my gosh, she's your daughter. You know, I can't believe that. So I think When the show started out, it really emphasized how Rory was really the adult in the house and Laura I was more like the teenager, and they kind of got away from that as the show went on, but in these early episodes you can really see it, like in the opening scene where there she's painting Rory's toes and then Lane shows up with the new album and Laura like drops everything to go run in the house and put the music on, like Rory's still sitting there like, well, wait a minute, and you know it's it's the pair. It's the mom that runs in the house with Lane to go listen to this new CD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they really.
Speaker 2: They really made a point of that in the early episodes, and how you know, Laura I really yeah, maybe maybe wasn't parent material so much as Rory was.
Speaker 1: But that all changed at the end when she went and stood up to Emily and was like, this is my daughter, and that's how I run the show.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Then you kind of see like she.
Speaker 1: Goes back and forth and she's oral, has always been that way. She like wants to be her mom, but then she wants to be her best friend too.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, And I mean, I think part of that is just from being becoming a parent at sixteen, Like you're not an adult yet, and you know, probably most sixteen year olds don't even know how to reconcile those two those two roles. So yeah, it's an interesting dynamic for sure.
Speaker 1: I know we were we had texted earlier. I saw the clown pillow. I did not see the boom mic.
Speaker 2: Okay, now the boom mic. This this rewatch is the first time I've ever noticed it in that particular scene. It's it was hard to see. So there's actually two shots, and I wrote the times down, so we'll try to grab some screenshots because they where they were kind of hard to see. So when you're looking into Miss Patty's and the shot was on Miss Patty.
Speaker 1: Which time the first time? Okay, when she's in the outfit, yes, getting in the car, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: And you know Miss Patty has that sign outside her studio that's like Miss Patty's Dance whatever, and then there's like the signs that are kind of chain linked underneath it that say like cheerleading and tap dance and like all the different things that she offers. So the first shot where you're looking at Miss Patty. The sign is kind of like folded up on itself, like I think they were trying to keep it out of the shot, like, you know, because the shot was so wide. I think maybe on a regular TV that wouldn't have shown, okay, but they had the sign was rolled up. And then if you look in the top right, you can see you don't see the actual microphone, but you can see the boom, like you can see the pole and it's like moving all over the place, so you could tell like someone's holding it and it's like getting caught in the shot. So there was that part. And then when the when she said she says something like, oh, hi, Laura I, and then it cuts to Laura I and she says, hi Patty. Right at the second where it cuts over it, you can see the mic drop right above Lauren's head when she's coming around the back end of the jeep, and it's so quick, Like I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, when you said it, and i'd watched it right before we started doing this this recap, I was like, I did not see it, so I need to go back now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is the first time I've seen that. I don't know how many times. This is this was the first time I've noticed it. And then then when they cut back to m Miss Patty, now that whole sign it's like unfolded all the way so you can like see all the pieces. So yeah, one of those silly little little things.
Speaker 1: The clown pillow was very front center in this in this episode. It was like making its grand appearance. It.
Speaker 2: It really was like it almost looked attentional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking for it, but I didn't it. It took me a second because I'm like they really wanted that to be seen, Like it wasn't like hit it at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And did you notice in that same shot the first I think maybe two or three episodes, that wall behind her was solid. It doesn't look through to the front door like in later episodes when you're when she's sitting on the couch you can see the.
Speaker 1: Front door window. Oh yeah, that wall.
Speaker 2: Was closed and there was a piano there. And then in later episodes that they opened that wall up.
Speaker 1: So well, we don't know yet, but in episode three do we know if it's open or not or it's.
Speaker 2: Just it's it's soon.
Speaker 1: It's like because I feel like I feel like by the time, by the time Rory has her birthday party, I think that that opened. That's opened. I think you're right the birthday party, which is I think coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have to double check because, like I said, I didn't watch ahead, so I don't know, but I know like it's it's pretty early, like by episode five or six.
Speaker 1: It's opened up. Well. I also thought it was funny because obviously the pilot was filmed in Canada and so Luke's looks different. But there was one shot that said stars hollowed that was not the lot. Did you see that? Yes?
Speaker 2: I noticed that too. They grabbed one of those shots from from that pilot episode. It's said like stars hollows about like population nine or whatever it was. Yeah, I was like, hey, that's not the lot.
Speaker 1: But it kind of works because then it was the Loreli walking scene, so it kind of just I don't know, it flowed. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a good atmosphere shot. Yeah, I hate it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I feel like these earlier episodes and maybe this is why, like you know, it's like a very false show. Does it seem darker like lighting was?
Speaker 2: I was thinking that I was watching it like it had almost like a film kind of quality like it it was a little blurry, like not even like the super crisp you know video that we're used to. So but yeah, I noticed like some of the lighting was.
Speaker 1: Not a fall vibe, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It really was, and it feels like you watch it and it feels like it was cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and remind me, I know, she's starting school in the middle of the year, but do we know when this is roughly? Like She's not like it's it's just a random Monday she starts. It's not like it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they're too far into the year because her birthdays in October and we haven't had her birthday yet, so it's got to be like late September, early October.
Speaker 1: She's just a couple of weeks late into starting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Probably, I mean we don't know. They might have started.
Speaker 1: I forgot birthday's October.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so it's it's definitely like the middle of fall for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The diner looked pretty like what we're used to it.
Speaker 2: Did, except did you notice that there was a random sign, like right next to the front door of.
Speaker 1: The dust and it was like a random yellow cutout. Yes, It's like someone just built it that morning, right, so like let's just nail this up here, because isn't isn't that sign hanging in other seasons, like it's hanging and it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it's the same one, because I think the hanging one is probably a little.
Speaker 1: Bit it looks yeah, and also looks a little more professional professional. Yeah, this one was just like someone painted a cardboard and put Luke's on it.
Speaker 2: It really did kind of look like, hey, look what I've made. Let's put it into the show. And then it was gone at the end when they they zoomed out. Yeah, the very like when when Lane was walking with them and then Lane goes home and then Loral and Rory were talking about like, you know.
Speaker 1: What do you think Luke is cute?
Speaker 2: Like that scene it wasn't. It was gone, Like when he comes out on the porch or on the not the porch but on the front step and they're they're already walking by I it was all. It was gone. So I don't know. Maybe maybe he takes it inside when he closes. I don't know.
Speaker 1: No one wants to see on the cardboard cut out of Luke Steiner but that also that zoom out shot, there were so many trees. I'm like, why are there so many trees in this shot? Did you notice that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the trees, and then also just the people, like the when I had paused it when I was looking at the boom mic and I paused it on the scene where Lula's standing in front of her jeep with all her dry cleaning and there's like there's like fifteen cars in the background and there's just dozens of people all over the street.
Speaker 1: Did her lawn look way bigger it?
Speaker 2: Did? I paused on that scene too, because it was an angle that we don't usually see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, I don't. I think I've seen the mailbox once in my life of maybe I just haven't paid attention, but like there's a prominent shot where you see it says Gilmour on the mailbox when she's talking about it, and then but that is establishing shot when she drives in, I'm like, I don't think we've ever seen that much grass in her driveway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they had the count, Like, I don't think further that much of her driveway before, Like sometimes we see it from her front door looking out towards it. But I don't think they've really done much where the camera. I mean, I can think of a few times in season seven where we saw that angle, but we don't usually see like the whole driveway like that with the whole front yard, and you could really see how close Babbette's house was to laurelize house. Yeah, it's just an interesting shot that we don't see very often. I also noticed that her garage wasn't there. When she walks up to the front door with all of her dry cleaning, there's use the garage like around the right side that like her garage is right there, and it wasn't there.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, was it a different house. I don't think so, because the.
Speaker 2: Port a different house. I wonder if they just, like maybe they moved the garage like you know sometimes you know, all those buildings they just looft them up and move them. They moved the cause sometimes. But I just wonder if for some reason it wasn't there for yeah, down for some other reason or maybe I don't know, I don't know, it just was something I noticed. I'm like, wait, the garage isn't there. It's like, I don't know, if you have you been in there in person, it's really just like a little shed.
Speaker 1: It's Yeah, I have a picture from the we went two years ago. Yeah, the last time we did the and the actually they turned it into a store. They turned the lorealized house into a store to shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just so funny because like you think you know this house like the back of your hand, and you're like, this is not what it looks like because it was like the house is a sound stage the inside right and the outside it's just an next serior shot and you're like, I don't know this house. This is a house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because you walk in and it's not like a spacious living room and all that. It's like weird construction walls and.
Speaker 1: It's actually it's just pretty empty. It's just walls.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was just thinking like when we were in there for that, when it was set up like a store, like they really had it like locked off so you couldn't see like what the full.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I've done the tour before, we I remember we walked into the house that would be Kim's antiques, and when you think of Kim's antiques, it's like this deep house with thousands of items and it's like the tiniest little living room and then there's like just the back to the exit alte Like it's just so funny when you you're like, I'm walking into Miss Kim's antiques and no, it's just it.
Speaker 2: Really is amazing, like how they do, how they transform it and make you think it looks like something that it really is not. And I know, I think probably most fans know but maybe not, that Lorelized House and Suki's House is actually.
Speaker 1: The same, Bill slipped.
Speaker 2: It's like the two fronts are backed up to each other. So you walk in the front of Lorelized House and you come out the front of Suki's house like.
Speaker 1: On the other street.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's but you would never know that from watching the show, like they look like two completely different buildings.
Speaker 1: It's it's movie magic, TV magic. The other thing is I mean the obvious was that Kirk was not Kirk. He was Mick.
Speaker 2: Yes, the debut of Mick, I did.
Speaker 1: Not remember his name was Mick. Like, it was so funny because I was like writing down, I'm like, did they say Mick or Nick? And I was like, and he also wasn't as quirky. He was kind of like a normal guy installing a DSL.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. It was kind of a funny little bit where they're looking for the frog and then it turns out to be a turtle and he's like, no, it says here it was a frog. I thought it was cute. But yeah, it was like they they kind of hadn't like settled everything yet, so it was it's like the same but different, kind of kind of weird.
Speaker 1: I wonder like, did they see Sean Gunn playing this character? They're like, we need him for more, Like when does he become Kirk, because isn't he one more character after this?
Speaker 2: So I think the next episode he's the swan delivery guy who doesn't have a name, and then he becomes Kirk after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's funny going back to rewatch because now I'm like, like I said in the first episode that we did together, I watched as a as a fan, just who loves the show. And now I'm sitting here like the way many Gilmore girls fans and like yourself, and you're just like looking for things and now I'm like, how do we not notice this before you know what I mean, Like, yeah, I mean I noticed it, but I don't pay attention to it that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there comes a point where you don't need to watch it for the plot anymore, Like you don't need to be paying attention to the plot, so you're looking at everything else that's happening, like in the background stuff, because do you already know what the actors are doing.
Speaker 1: It's so funny you say that because Chad Michael Murray's line I literally said out loud. I was like, hello Mary, like I literally knew the line coming out of his mouth. But I was like scanning the classroom for things to look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was. It was a good episode overall. I love this episode. I do want to call out. We talked about the you know, the sort of Halloween costume outfit the Laurel I was wearing. But after that that gray suit that she had on, I thought that was gorgeous with the pencil skirt, and yeah, I loved that.
Speaker 1: I will say I did forget that this episode was one day because I feel like so much happened and she was so because when she changed outfits. In my head, I'm like, this is like two hours later this is the same day.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because she's like walking around town and step and she's going home in the middle of the day with all of her drive cleaning. That's when she was talking on the phone to Emily. So it does seem like.
Speaker 1: And then she went to the Independence in and then she went to Luke's and then she went to go pick up Rory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when do you work? But yeah, it did seem it did. It seemed like more than one day. And then at the end she goes to pick Rory up from school and you're like, oh, yeah, that this is all.
Speaker 1: This is all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one other thing I wanted to call out was I always laugh and every every week, rewatch I laugh? Why does Rory get the giant yellow and black backpack? I know?
Speaker 2: See that's what Like in the last episode, we were talking about that cool leather backpack that she had. That bag was so cool, Like why couldn't she have kept that?
Speaker 1: Like no one else has a backpack that remotely looks close to what she has.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, exactly, it's like she was an ugly back store and picked something up like yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Very no and she like I noticed it always when she like flops it on the floor when she goes to give Loura hug and I'm like, why does ugly yellow Yeah, bumblebee backpack.
Speaker 2: I know they could have gotten her something much cuter that would have fit their personalities better.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we can't change that. So that's right. Well, the next episode is going to be season one episode three, Kill Me.
Speaker 2: Now, hmm, that's the that's the golf episode.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I didn't know which one this was and he gets said golf and now I'm like, well, I think is of the sauna, Like that's the first thing that comes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a good episode. This is like the beginning of the Rory grandparent.
Speaker 1: Because we still haven't seen Frida Night Dinner, Like it hasn't like, yeah, officially happened. She said I'll see you Friday when they were talking to each other.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, we saw the We saw the very first one in the last episode where they had the big fight Emily and Laurel I have the big fight, but we haven't like seen it like as a regular.
Speaker 1: She hasn't established with like Rory and her grandparents, and they still at this point in her life, they don't really know her so right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's a pivotal episode.
Speaker 1: I like all of these. I feel like all of season. We're gonna say that for every single one I know. I know.
Speaker 2: I love season one.
Speaker 1: So good. It's so good. All right, Well, thanks guys for listening, and we'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: Take care, bye, dot.
Speaker 1: Everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.