Speaker 1: I Am all in again, Less You Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: We are back for some parenthood Baby. This is Season one, episode eight, Rubber Band Ball, All the Rubber Band Ball, I know. The Braverman family is on Hilert when Amber's ex boyfriend Damien arrives from Fresno. Zeke takes Adam on a road trip for investment advice and so father son bonding. Meanwhile, Julia and Joel worried that Sidney might be suffering from Asperger's and Crosby wants to help plan Jabbar's birthday party.
Speaker 3: There is a lot going on, all of stuff in.
Speaker 2: Here, I know, and every storyline I love.
Speaker 3: I just love. It's also good. Where do we start?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just talk about Crosby because I found it's the easiest one for me to talk about because I feel like I have thoughts about all the other day.
Speaker 3: Give it, give it, give it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So in this episode, it's Jabbar's birthday and it's at Jasmine aka Joy Bryant's house and her family's there, and she was like kind of making it a thing that he invited his family in the sense that she didn't want his family.
Speaker 3: She's still like a little bitter. She's like a little bit bitter about the lifeguard situation, you know upstairs makeout sash, right, She's still kind of oh. And then she's very m anti him being totally involved in the birthday.
Speaker 2: Party, right, like she she just wanted him to show up and be quiet like she did. She didn't want him to do anything or involved or in my family, like.
Speaker 3: She didn't you say at one point, like four of your family members. He's like, what he is? Okay?
Speaker 2: I think the thing that we have to understand. And she's going through an adjustment period too, Right, she.
Speaker 3: Has done her own, doing her own, doing.
Speaker 2: Correct valid one hundred percent, but she has done everything on her own for five years, so she has to adjust. I don't I don't necessarily, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that she's done it on her own because she has all that family that's so involved. She just literally told them, I know, the dad bailed, and it's like.
Speaker 2: She clearly has daddy issues, which she owned up to that her dad abandoned her, and so she painted Crosbie to be this bad guy. And I feel like part of her wasn't expecting Crosbie to be so in.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a really interesting comment.
Speaker 2: I think she kind of wanted to bring jabbar around Crosby to say she did.
Speaker 3: We don't really know why after five years.
Speaker 2: Say, I feel like she had some kind of guilt. I mean at five years old, I don't have a five year old. But maybe he asked. I mean, even in the toddler age that I'm going through right now, daddy is a thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So maybe he wanted to know you.
Speaker 2: Probably was getting curious, like asking about his dad. Hey, who is my day?
Speaker 3: Maybe she felt more guilty lying to the kid than her family, like she's not going to tell her own kid. Yeah, your dad bailed, which is a complete lie. He didn't. Now I do have a little bit of a Crosbie because she said she called and he didn't call back. Now that's not really nice. That's called ghosting, and it's not really nice. He should have called back, all right, fair, But she should have. She could have also said, hey, I really have to tell you something important, you know what I mean, like or hey, like you really.
Speaker 2: Boys, Hey you got to call me back there.
Speaker 3: So he should have called back, just because if you sleep with a girl and they call you ghosting is rude. I agree, that's just I'm just gonna I'm gonna stand on.
Speaker 2: That hill, but valid hill to stand on.
Speaker 3: But I if it's a competition of who's more wrong, I'm going with her.
Speaker 2: I I completely agree with you. I do kind of love that there's something that she did wrong. I do because, yeah, it gives her a little bit more character, and.
Speaker 3: It gives him a leg in a situation too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that she uh that this episode, we because she's been for the most we're kind of perfect this whole series, and now we see I mean perfect is a stretch of like a little bit of a stretch because I understand she should not have kept her son from her for his father, But outside of that, she is a great mom. She yes, she is beautiful, all the things.
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like she's asking him for money, correct, all the things. So God, I just totally had like the most random things come into my head while we were talking. One is the performances. Once again, like these people are so good at playing these characters or acting in general. Like even the scene where they're shopping in the you know party store. What's that poor party store that's going out of business?
Speaker 2: Party City?
Speaker 3: Oh, poor thing. That's what it reminds me of party a smaller version of Party City. Poor thing. So uh, it didn't feel fake. The store looked real. Like all these things that jar me when I'm watching a show, none of it happened like it felt like a real party store, and it felt like they weren't. Like, Okay, then go pick up this thing and look at it and then say this line. It just feels like real. And I've thinking about other shows that I also watch that I'm like, oh, that seemed kind of fakey, fake or over the top. Like this show is just so I will always use this word nuanced, like it's just so good.
Speaker 2: I agree? I agree? And what did you?
Speaker 3: I don't want to sound like Scott, But how did these people not all win Emmys?
Speaker 2: I did Parent Hunt? Was it never nominated?
Speaker 3: Think it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I think it had some award nominations and there might have been like a Golden Globe win. I don't know. Somebody can check. I think it's one. I think it did more nominations than Gilmore Girls. I just feel like it's just as good today, and then I think about a reboot, like what if they brought it back? I want to know where these people are. I love it anyway. I love Also, shout out to everybody who doesn't want spoilers. I'm not giving spoilers on a show that was from fifteen years Sometimes, Okay, here's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jason Riddle, Jamie Ridder, that's huge.
Speaker 3: Of all the guest stars, I know, of all the characters, Jason Ridder, but he is really good on it. So a shout out to Matt Locke. Here's what I'm going to say. Sometimes, when you're rewatching a show that was on fifteen years ago, was it on fifteen years ago?
Speaker 2: Five minus fifteen? Yes, fifteen years ago?
Speaker 3: That's okay. Great. Sometimes you want to and you guys can let us know if you absolutely hate this, and I'll try to abide, but I will mess it up. Sometimes you want like a little bird's eye view of the whole series. Like sometimes when you're talking about it, you want to go, oh, you know this guy comes back, or like, hey, this is important even if you don't think it is, or like hey, sometimes I feel that way that it's okay to sort of dip your toe into things that may happen in the future. But two schools thought on the spoiler thing. But I'll be mindful. I'll be mindful. I don't want to ruin it for Danielle. But at the same time, sometimes, you know, we want to have these conversations.
Speaker 2: Don't need a spoiler to know that Jasmine and Crosby will end up together at some point, at least making out a little flirty floor relationship type of situation.
Speaker 3: We shall see the rubber band ball. Here's why I love this storyline, just the whole way it plays out.
Speaker 2: And it intertwined every single family essentially, and.
Speaker 3: You really get some insights into Monica Potter and Peter Krauseer, Adam and Christina. I love that she admits to Adam I was happy, you know, like to think that something's wrong with their kid basically, and it's like I get that, like it would be community, it would be all in the family, Like I understand that. But it's the fact that she admits it, and you see it a little bit when she's like, oh, I didn't even tell them he had a rubber band. I mean.
Speaker 2: I knew, yeah, I there there's a lot here because I completely agree with you with Christina being so relieve that Julia came to her, and you know, there was a lot there. I did. When it was all happening, I was like, Julia's daughter's not gonna have askpergers. Something else is different, you know. And so there is that for one second, Christina thought that somebody else can relate to her m h.
Speaker 3: And that she was going to be in it with someone else. And she was ahead in the game, right, So she was she.
Speaker 2: Was the teacher. Yeah, she was the one that's like, I got I I'll give you all the advice, which she didn't have, right, I mean she had friends whatever, you know, but but really like no one in her family knew what to do, you know when when she saw some issues with Max and so, and I think it really.
Speaker 3: Had to diagnose because they didn't.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't know whereas Julia.
Speaker 3: Immediately was like, I better sort this out. Now. It's very interesting to me that the doctor nobody could get into is suddenly very available and suddenly he also the doctor who tests you if you're gifted. Like it seems a little different.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's like nowadays, like you're waiting at least eight months to get into a doctor like that.
Speaker 3: They needed Crosby to get in. Now, maybe Crosby pulled another favor, but still, it's like, right that doctor seemed readily available.
Speaker 2: But I I there was one part where Christina said I didn't tell her about Max's ball, and there was you know there I was like, oh, Christina, you know, like she I think she was didn't want to stress Julia out, But also I think I don't I don't even I don't don't Max.
Speaker 3: Ass his own rubber band ball. I don't know why he needed to steal Sydney's. But still, well, I also like that Sidney, you know, was a little imperfect, like she's always very well behaved for the most part.
Speaker 2: You know, but she was.
Speaker 3: Misbehaving in school. And then I also like that she's like, don't touch my rubber bandball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought Julia handled that well though, like we're not going to touch it, you know. Whatever it was she was saying, yeah, good parents. They're all good parents in this show, every single one of them.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I mean so obviously we kind of touched upon this, but I think, you know, the not the payoff, but like the realization that Sidney is actually gifted and she doesn't have Aspergers and she is just bored in.
Speaker 3: School, right, and then Julia doesn't want to tell her, you know, and doesn't want to tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it, I totally get it. She's like she has to now go to her sister in Lawns. Actually, you know, she doesn't have Asperger. She's just super gifted.
Speaker 3: Like Joel's hiding in the kitchen and she's like, I got this, I got this, and then she doesn't do it and he's like, oh, yeah you did. You're really strong there. Yeah. I like I love all the relationships. I love the whole story, all of it. Okay, so let's talk about Adam and Zeke because this is like, oh, oh kind of rough.
Speaker 2: It is very rough.
Speaker 3: Got some money troubles, you know, he doesn't Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, how does he have money troubles? But he might be losing his house that Sarah is an Amber are living in.
Speaker 3: But it's also you see Camille and what does he call her Millie? You see Camille knowing what's going on and him not telling her. There's definitely trouble in Paradise with those two right, like.
Speaker 2: For sure some deep rooted scene.
Speaker 3: Right, married a long time and there's some stuff there, right, so you know, going to Adam. Also, I love how they sort of really elude in this one perfect Adam. Oh, perfect Adam. You know you do get there. We're getting a bit more of that that Adam is really in charge of this family.
Speaker 2: That's why I think he's going to slip up with Minka Kelly.
Speaker 3: Just keep thinking that. That's oh no, so cliche. That's so cliche.
Speaker 2: I know. I just something Adam's going to slip.
Speaker 3: Up some much. This show is too good for that slip up. But anyway, so it was first of all, the driving scenes were real, which I really appreciate. I hate fake driving scenes. Also, the motel looked real, the mall looked real. However, they shoot this, they make it very real, and I am very grateful for that.
Speaker 2: Can I just while you're talking about location, just say something really quick obviously, So back in the day, I used to work at NBC and I used to work on the lot, and the Parenthood house is.
Speaker 3: There, I Zeke's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I figured you can tell that's a set.
Speaker 2: I for all the years I worked there, it was like, Oh, that's the parent hunt House. And it dawned on me when I was watching this episode, Oh I know, Oh my god. I literally have never cared about that when I was working there, never cared about it, and I was like, oh this place your back. Yes, it was wow to explain it. It's so the lot. If you've been on the studio tour uh tram thing, you go through all these places, you cannot get to the parent hud House, Like the parent houd House is at the very very.
Speaker 3: Topic Universal Studios Tour when you're like, yeah, there's the Psycho House, Yeah we threw down, Yeah, and then that Tom Cruise movie.
Speaker 2: Yep, for the world. It's all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I love that tour, but I cannot go in that tunnel with the swirlly thing. Oh the Mummy gives me no, the Gorilla one, the King Kong one is more than I can handle. With all those screens around me. It just makes my entire body have a panic attack. But does it still have that tunnel where it swirls.
Speaker 2: And you think a really long time.
Speaker 3: But I only go on that tour if it was some sort of a VIP thing where I could skip both of those things. I like the earthquake, do they still have earthquakes?
Speaker 2: The flood?
Speaker 3: That one's less terrible, but that one with the King Kong or some Oh my god, I'm actually like gonna have a panic attack thinking about. It's just something that happens to my brain. Like when I'm in those things. Oh my god, I can't have screens all around me. It just makes me.
Speaker 2: I get that. But the point I was trying to make, you can't go up to it. It's like you but you did. I did with a golf cark and everything because you go up this like dirt road essentially, Like.
Speaker 3: Do we have any friends there still that could take us out there? Of course? Can you ask? Let's see if we can build there.
Speaker 2: Whenever we want. You want to go tomorrow, we can go tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not in La tomorrow. But next time I'm in La, let's go.
Speaker 2: And take a photo.
Speaker 3: Do they keep it the same with all that dirt? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean when I was there, granted it's been I don't even know how many years.
Speaker 3: That's one of your friends. And see if the parent hood house is still there.
Speaker 2: Well, it has to be there. It was like kind of a staple like people. I'm sure they use it for other things. That is fake to me, as one of the other's backyards looks real fake. I think it's Adam and well it's like a it looks it's not a set on a sound stage.
Speaker 3: It's actually no I get building exterior, but Adams looks fake.
Speaker 2: But I just missed the era of laurla LAURAA Lauren Graham being on the lot with me when I.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know you were there. What years were you.
Speaker 2: At NBC twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Timelines are tough, I get it. So this was still on. So this show was going when you were there. I guess so because it's five years. How many seasons is this thing five? Maybe it was sort of wrapping up as you out there.
Speaker 2: And Okay, one other fun tippit not something about me working there, but just I was scrolling on my Instagram this morning and I made a note that I need to talk about this. That Berkeley, California is named the healthiest place to live in the United States.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is interesting and Berkeley is pretty great. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Somebody has to look up. It was like USA today or like one of those.
Speaker 3: Because we're real kind of hippy dippy in Berkeley, so we probably are eating really healthy. And if you first of all, they always want to say San Pablo in this show, everything exists on San Pablo. I'm not gonna go with I'm gonna say everything exists on College, Shattick, Claremont, few others. Right, San Pablo is far. I don't know why they always reference it, but anyway, it's more like Elsa Rito. But whatever, Berkeley gets sort of like a I think people think things of Berkeley that aren't actually true.
Speaker 2: According to the US News and World Report, so the usnews dot com that is. That is a very reputable source.
Speaker 3: Although I will say I was recently on the Stamford campus, which I've only been on a few times. I've been to football games there, but that's really beautiful. Stanford is beautiful. Cal gets a bad rap, right, they think it's not the campus isn't cool and Telegraph and it's not like you know, Telegraph is a thing. It's a weird little street, but it's actually really cool. But campus is beautiful. We should take a field trip, Danielle. I like it all come down to you and we'll go to the Braverman House, and you come up. When can you not travel anymore?
Speaker 2: We're hitting that point after July.
Speaker 3: End of July.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, and I shouldn't be on a plane in August.
Speaker 3: Oh, but you can travel in July.
Speaker 2: I can come up.
Speaker 3: You haven't raised your hand for the pickleball tournament.
Speaker 2: But that's a that's a that's like, that's fine.
Speaker 3: You can just come. You can just come to Berkeley. We'll just go do the show. Oh my god, we can do the show. We'll do the show live from Berkeley. We can. I'll figure out.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: Let's do get back again. We're we're digressing. But Adam and Zeke that is sort of a rough switching the family dynamic. It's rough. Although I do love the motel scene. I love the wait. The whole road trip was quite great. Let's go up to Amber. I really want to go to Amber. First of all, Damien is hot. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, y you you don't think I thought he's a good looking young man. But I wouldn't say he's hot.
Speaker 3: It plays him, plays Damien. Eddie rio Saiko. Let's see where Eddie is now? Let me. Just look him up Rio Siico, Okay, Eddie, cute kid. He still looks like a kid.
Speaker 2: I want to now now, now you're making me a look.
Speaker 3: Ze hates him. Zeke hates him, and nothing is funnier than him coming up to the car.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh what you know who? He looks like Milo nont Wolf.
Speaker 3: He looks exactly likenat Wolf. That's weird.
Speaker 2: I thought, Oh is that his brother or something? O?
Speaker 3: That is weird. He looks exactly like him.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, twinsy t's twinsies?
Speaker 3: What was I going to say?
Speaker 2: Bernie?
Speaker 3: Right, it's they got caught in the shower. She's a low screaming. Everybody's screaming.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then when so Damien is told to leave but then basically takes a shower.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the way he was told to leave, well, I guess this happened after Zeke just literally handsome a new one, like, gets in his car and is like, here's twenty dollars, you better get out of town. And he and basically Damien was like, oh, but I really love Hamper. Oh well, and he was like I have a temper.
Speaker 3: He's so good, like would freak you out, like it's not even the dad, it's the grandpa.
Speaker 2: And I just like I would be so on my way to back to where he came from.
Speaker 3: And then I really love the scene between Sarah and Camille that was like really unexpected and beautiful and she's like, you're my special girl, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's the one that made her. Uh, she can relate to the most, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I thought that that was like, you know, most moms with four kids don't say stuff like that, And I thought, oh, that was cool. And she's like it's not perfect Adam again, but I thought that was really really beautiful. And I also thought, what an interesting scene we haven't seen, do you know what I mean? Like we haven't really seen them really come together, the two of them, so I thought.
Speaker 2: And also like, of all the Braverman's, Camille's kind of the one we know the least about. Yeah. Yeah, I feel like there's a she's she's an onion that is something. Yeah, that's definitely like there's a lot you can tell her characters super layered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good word onion on that.
Speaker 2: And you like you get it in this episode a little bit. I'm excited to see where what happens with Camille.
Speaker 3: And I also thought, you know, it was good for Sarah where she ended up with Amber. Now I feel that no one knows that Amber did not take the SATs, so I think that would be a problem.
Speaker 2: It is a very good boy.
Speaker 3: That's kind of major, but okay. But I thought, you know, look, you're you're right, You're not gonna like The more you like tighten up on a kid like that, the worse it's gonna be. And I think Amber actually, inherently is actually a pretty good kid. I don't know if they think she even think they were drinking on the top of that car. I feel like they were eating a cupcake or something. They were eating the cake. That's right, they were eating the cake that Lauren Graham gave to her oh on the birthday.
Speaker 2: Yep, I do think Amber is actually I do think she's good. I do think she's a good kid. I think she's just been through some stuff in her life. She is a little bit rebellious, but not rebellious in the sense that like I'm gonna steal a car. I think she's just trying to find who she is.
Speaker 3: We barely saw Whosy in this episode Sarah Ramos. Did we really see her? She was at the birthday party, but otherwise we didn't really get a lot of with her in this one. You know Max's sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hattie Hattie, Yeah, I don't really remember.
Speaker 3: I don't really as bad as Amber. Hattie was the one smoking pot and doing bad stuff like Amber gets the bad rap.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a little bit more we should talk about with the birthday party and them watching the birth video, which was like, oh, that was a cool one. That is disgust Oh I didn't. I mean I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: You haven't been around my kid for five years, but just watch him fly out of my vagina.
Speaker 3: I think, if it's your kid, you're kind of stoked to see him enter the world.
Speaker 2: Okay, but like, okay, you just started talking to him yesterday, like give it so dime. I was.
Speaker 3: Totally fine with it. I didn't even think as that grows, although I did think they did show the kid slimy right. They definitely made him real. It was real. But I love the birthday party. I love the whole Like in the middle of the birthday party drama, the brother's all mad and the you know, Jasmine has to cop to lying, and then it's kind of like, oh great, we're all wondering.
Speaker 2: I think that was a little like you guys, you're just gonna be like, oh, you're the best guy ever.
Speaker 3: Now. That was classic. And then Jabbar, where's the cake? You know, like it breaks up the drama. Where's the cake? Everybody loves Jabbar, you.
Speaker 2: Know with it.
Speaker 3: I was fine with it because this show doesn't do that too much.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, I was fine with it too, because I didn't get the end of the day they all realized, all right, we all love Jabbar. Let's just be adult here. Correct, Yeah, Jasmine, good old Jazz.
Speaker 3: I want to give this episode hmmm, I'm gonna give it a nine. It's not quite as good as all the others, but still very very good.
Speaker 2: I nine three.
Speaker 3: I'm fine fine, I mean, I'm not gonna I almost gave it a nine too, so I have nothing to judge you.
Speaker 2: All right, Well until next episode, Braverman's out. Hey, everybody, until forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.