Speaker 1: It's Me Podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art, and today we're joined by Stephen Ranella, Giannis Boutellis, Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Max Barta Chester, Floyd Steve's dentist, Kevin Pearson, and Anna Borgman. Anna is a culinary contributor to the meadeater dot com and has butchered more critters than everyone in this room combined. Anna, how do you feel about playing Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 2: I feel okay. I realized the other day because I listened to this, you know, most weeks, but I've never actually kept score.
Speaker 1: I just know, you know, okay, does it?
Speaker 3: I feel like you're doing good.
Speaker 2: It depends on like phishing questions, I just I don't have a clue. I couldn't know less about it, But everything else I usually feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, folks, what you do for your day job and why you are one of our favorite culinary and butchering contributors on the website.
Speaker 2: I'm a butcher. I mostly do slaughter, so I worked for two years on a slaughter floor and now I just do on farm slaughter can do the slaughtering I do.
Speaker 1: And do you have like the nail gun or what do you what do you use captive bolt?
Speaker 2: Captive bolt? Yeah, sure, yeah, we use it.
Speaker 1: It's a the no country for old men.
Speaker 2: Literally, So it's like that it's not air powered, it's we just use a blank basically, it's a twenty five.
Speaker 3: Folks, I'd say that sometimes the air power are called a pneumatic.
Speaker 2: Bolt, right, yeah, no, we have we have blank.
Speaker 3: It's gun. It's twenty two powered twenty five.
Speaker 2: So we do that on because at the shop that I was at, it's stay inspected. So that's technically the stun method. They say it doesn't kill them, but it definitely does. It shoots like a five inch fraud into their head. So you stun them and then you lead them out and the bleeding now is what kills them, like officially, and that's like I just killed four hundred chickens a couple of mondays ago, and it's the same just blastic.
Speaker 4: With that.
Speaker 2: We used a knife that has like an electric current going through it, so you stun it and then after it's stunned, then you cut its throat.
Speaker 5: So yeah, do they run around with their head cut off.
Speaker 2: No, they'reside down a little cone, fortunately, but I have a pretty good I got a good scar from it. One of them kicked me pretty.
Speaker 1: Is that ever weigh on? You're conscious just killing four hundred chickens in a day.
Speaker 2: You know, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and it's like, oh, man, I think about I have so many books on death, Like I'm kind of obsessed with the topic.
Speaker 4: I know a guy you might get along with.
Speaker 2: I literally I think about it all the time. And uh no, the chickens, I guess. With livestock slaughter, I don't. I don't worry about it too much because like, if I don't do it, someone else is going to do it. That's why those animals were raised. And so I don't feel like I'm doing something that wouldn't happen otherwise. And I know I do a good job. So I there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, killed more and butchered more than everyone in this room combined, probably in the last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, last two weeks for sure.
Speaker 1: If you're not familiar, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there's a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the win percentage for players who have been on five or more episodes at the top of the leader board. Do you want to take a guess again, win percentage? Who do you think is the best five?
Speaker 3: It's not going to be me. I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: That Randall is not it. Brody, Brody is right, Brody has one one.
Speaker 5: I would have guessed Steve because he's been playing. He's back in it now, but he's not playing.
Speaker 4: For a while.
Speaker 5: Brodie, he's say a percentage, I know, so you're I would have thought your percentage would have been good.
Speaker 1: Me too. Brody's won forty one percent of games he's played. That's followed by Steve at thirty eight percent, Clay at thirty three percent, Randall at thirty two percent, and for.
Speaker 3: All the show, it's like, not that great of a percentage.
Speaker 6: No, no, it's declined precipitously.
Speaker 1: How many games has Clay played though, I think it was like seven or something like that, but.
Speaker 3: He probably got a bone. He probably caught a bone off one, so he's won like two games.
Speaker 1: So Randall at thirty two percent and then Giannis at twenty percent. Tyler Jones has won fifty percent of his games and Tony Peterson has won twenty five percent of his games, but they've both only played four times each.
Speaker 7: Good stop right there.
Speaker 5: I want to know, mind, your percentage just went up a little though, Y're honest.
Speaker 4: That's right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Here's our zero percent of question the week, which test how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This question was from episode four to sixty nine. The topic was cooking, and nobody got it right. I'd also declare this the hardest question ever asked in the history of meat Eater trivia. It was asked by Yanni when butchering an animal, what is the process of removing the trachea and esophagus called? Before Anna or Yanni answers, I've got it because I was on that episode and you remembering look at is good?
Speaker 4: After that question.
Speaker 3: I never even heard that word. I didn't know that was.
Speaker 1: I tried to Google it and Google was like, you're not even close to whatever we think you're trying to find and it just like wasn't spinning out many results. How do you how do you spell this? Anna?
Speaker 2: It's W E, A, S, A and D no wonder.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I was way off. I had an ancient I went and it had had the death. That's that's why I.
Speaker 3: Was great, because I know the word, the Scottish word for when you remove everything from the diaphragm down.
Speaker 1: What's that word? It's like glat glad that that would never be on an episode, Yani, that's way too hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no idea, there's a word for that.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping to do a little weazoning this weekend.
Speaker 2: That the diaphragm down thing is how we got them usually like pull everything out from the diaphragm and then cut into the diaphragm, reach down, pull everything back after that.
Speaker 1: Yanni got that question from watching You Butcher a Sheep.
Speaker 2: I believe we were talking about talking about.
Speaker 1: The incorrect answers from that show where tracheotomy, plumb, road housing, necotomy, dethroating, and throat bottomy, road house.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna call it roadhousing.
Speaker 1: I think that maybe Hansi's answer road housing. We have some house teming to get to in a previous game, I think we have it now. I think in a previous game of trivia, we talked about Canadian Thanksgiving, which prompted some questions from players in the room about how our friends north of the border celebrate. Well, about a dozen listeners from Canada rode in to educate us. Similar to America, the holiday is supposed to be celebrating, is supposed to be a celebration of being thankful for all the blessings of the previous year. The most popular food served on Canadian Thanksgiving our turkey, ham stuffing, mashed potato, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and apple pie. And just like Americans, they love their football. The Canadian Football League usually has a nationally televised double header that afternoon called the Thanksgiving Day Classic, and the most common decorations are very familiar, with cornucopias and pumpkins lining the front porches that time of year. Only about a half dozen other countries celebrate Thanksgiving, like Germany, Liberia, Granada, and portions of the Netherlands and Australia.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's like such as I thought. We've been over this.
Speaker 1: We have and I'm sorry my deepest, my apology, Steve, I will fix that going forward. You'll never hear like used incorrectly again. It will just be such.
Speaker 3: As people like Brody right, like, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Spencer's at your first strike.
Speaker 1: Today's gonna keep tracking the complaints for us. Now the Shelby and Expert. Today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand and win everything.
Speaker 3: How's that just tend to win everything? Demon suckers?
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is fishing, and this will be multiple choice. Which state is the largemouth bass not native to? Is it Iowa? New York, California? Where Arkansas? Which state is the large mouth bass not native to? It's native to three of these, it's not native to one of them. Your choices are Iowa, New York, California or Arkansas.
Speaker 4: You boys are confident. Huh oh yeah you too.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you guys used to flay large mouth and eat them. Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: My neighbor down the beach, John Gary, I'm not gonna tell you what state I grew up in. What uh, you know everybody runs around calling it on the half shell.
Speaker 1: Now, which is not you know, you don't know the thing.
Speaker 3: Then No, he would cook bats. He would flay his bass, leave the skin on him, soak them in milk and grill them. But we would just add it to the pile of everything else you caught. You know. Just it's just like cubed up so bullhead, perch, large mouth. I mean, just it's all the same.
Speaker 5: They're not as good to eat a small mouth.
Speaker 3: No, no, they're definitely not as good as to small but it would you would throw it in and just mix it in to the to the fish fry.
Speaker 1: Right, which state is the large mouth outIn? Native to Iowa, New York, California, Arkansas. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying Iowa, Randall saying California, Max saying Iowa, Kevin saying California. This whole side of the table, Chester, Rodiiannis and Steve all saying California. They got it. The correct answer is California.
Speaker 3: I gotta remember that little move that they got it.
Speaker 2: I told you fishing questions or not.
Speaker 1: Largemouth bass are native to every state east of the Rocky Mountains except for portions of New England. The furthest west that native populations in America got were West Texas. Despite this, the fish has now been observed in all fifty states. Phil has a map there on the screen that shows you the native and non native range South Bass. The yellow the USGS did. The yellow is their native range. The maroon is way they are found but not native. What sticks out to you, Steve, when you look at that.
Speaker 3: Map Virginia where they're native to not native?
Speaker 1: That's the most noticeable thing.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm surprised that they're not native in the northeast.
Speaker 1: Sort of creep up there, but not.
Speaker 3: Are you afraid to their ubiquity in Hawaii versus Alaska?
Speaker 1: What's your question?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Well, you ask me what sticks out to me, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: What Maskie like. When you look at that map, you're like, oh, I'm very surprised.
Speaker 3: The hundredth meridian. The hundredth meridian is basically the divider.
Speaker 1: Okay. Question two, the topic is conservation. This next great question when you comes to is via Cara Wagner. I was just asking you to look at the map and make an observation like, oh, that's funny. The great planes like barely get any.
Speaker 3: If you look at the mule Deier range, Okay, plasters right along the hundred plasters, right around that same meridian.
Speaker 1: There you go, same as the law Arge Mouth pass.
Speaker 3: There's a Canadian speaking of that. You know that Canadian thing you had earlier, that little tidbit about Thanksgiving. Canada's ram is tragically hip. They have a song. The hundredth meridian is the.
Speaker 6: Great plans begin.
Speaker 1: It's good. One question two topics conservation. This next great question comes with via Kara Wagner. This invasive bird, which was introduced to North America by Shakespeare enthusiasts, is known for its synchronized flight. Steve has it, Brody. Brody thinks he's got it right. They're the only ones who seem confident. Anna coming up with an answer. Here it is again. This invasive bird, which was introduced to North America by Shakespeare enthusiasts, is known for its synchronized flight.
Speaker 5: I hated that Shakespeare class in college.
Speaker 3: Yeah I don't like, but you know how many times I had to take that I think I had to take it in high school, college, and graduate school.
Speaker 1: It was specifically on Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: Oh you like they force that stuff down your throat.
Speaker 1: Man, I feel like that went away at some point. They must have.
Speaker 3: I don't know. One of the things I want to do when I retire. You know this, I want to write a book, you know Shakespeare. When they're mad at each other in Shakespeare, they will say knaves.
Speaker 1: It's like an insult.
Speaker 3: Now now it's an insult, a nave k a n a V. I'm gonna write a book called Knaves in defense of not loving the Bard. And it's gonna be a book defending hating Shakespeare because you're meant to. They try to make it feel bad for hating them, And it's gonna be a book that like supports not liking that stuff.
Speaker 1: You think, yes, ma'am, there's.
Speaker 2: An author that he writes about Shakespeare specifically. You should have him on talking like you guys love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'll have mine when I do my book.
Speaker 1: He's the quest. Actually, one more time. This invasive bird, which was introduced to North America by Shakespeare enthusiasts, is known for its synchronized flight.
Speaker 3: I just like to joke that Shakespeare stole all his stuff from Three's Company, because there's always like people are over here in conversations, but they they get it wrong and it wasn't being like a big deal, and that's like Three's Company. That's a big part of Three's Company.
Speaker 1: Man Steve was talking about how when he hosted Trivia he avoided doing pop culture because it's uh favors the old folks too much, and then someone pointed out, well, Steve, that's just your pop culture spencer.
Speaker 5: Could you name a couple stars of three threes Company if you had to?
Speaker 1: John Richard he's dead, the kids don knots. I wouldn't have come up with that, but I know who that I wouldn't. That's it, mister.
Speaker 9: The only reason I.
Speaker 1: Know John Richards because he what it was his show eight Simple Rules, and he had a sitcom where he was a classic TV dad. Does everybody have an answer? Yes, n no idea the regal Beagle, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying European, Starling, Randall saying Starling, Max saying Mockingbird, Kevin saying Starling Chess. You're saying Pigeon, Brody and Jannis and Steve All saying starling that yester.
Speaker 3: Pigeons were introduced on Saint Lawrence Seaway by the French.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is starling heads up. In the late nineteenth century, a New York City pharmacist came up with the idea to introduce every bird that Shakespeare ever mentioned in his writings. Of the sixty species that Shakespeare wrote about, the man released about a half dozen of them. Starling's were only talked about by Shakespeare once in Henry Act one, but that single mention got the man to release sixty starlings in Central Park. And there are one hundred and fifty million starlings in North America today.
Speaker 7: I should have known that because on my way home from fishing and hunting with Cal this weekend, I saw these big, old, you know, flocks of starlings doing their dance synchronized flight.
Speaker 3: Now, I recently read that there's only five species of birds that they estimate number in a billion globally, of which these are one. But then an ornithologist I told that to seem to have a real problem with that.
Speaker 1: I was trying to look up some numbers because I was potentially going to word this differently about their like the fourth most populous bird in North America. But you find wildly different estimates well for bird populations. I think starlink some said they were one hundred and fifty million, others said they were four hundred million.
Speaker 5: A lot of states. They're fair game open seas.
Speaker 3: Now. The most abundant bird in the world, with the widest home range of any bird in the world is the English sparrow.
Speaker 5: Those are fair game too, Oi.
Speaker 3: You can eat them anytime you want.
Speaker 1: Question my boy hunts.
Speaker 3: He's been hunting a lot of starlings right now because they're in the choke cherries and he fries them in oil. Really well, no, it's usually him and his body. Zoo. It's like not a big meal.
Speaker 1: Question three, The topic is cooking. What roast is sometimes referred to as the hidden tenderloin? What roast sometimes referred to as the hidden tenderloin?
Speaker 3: Is the tender loin not hidden? I feel like it's kind of tucked away.
Speaker 1: The answer is not tenderloin. Anna, This is a bone I'm throwing to you, counting on you to get this correct. What what roast is sometimes referred to as the hidden tenderloin?
Speaker 2: I know it's probably cut it out before, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, is stumped. We may have a zero percent or here you looking it up.
Speaker 7: I think we call these g steaks.
Speaker 3: I don't know the name, you know itaks. I could talk about it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I think that's okay. Does anybody feel okay about that?
Speaker 3: You're what groast? What roast?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Whats what roast? What roast? Sometimes referred to as the hidden.
Speaker 10: So this is a very wild game cooking question. I feel like I don't I don't know, I don't think so, you don't think so? It's the same pretty universal.
Speaker 1: I would encourage you after this to go to Google and type in hidden tenderloin. I think you would be impressed with how often this phrase is thrown around about this roast? Can you you know sure? Steve has multiple answer I'm spoken now, Brody.
Speaker 2: I'm there's a cut called the mock gender. But that's all it is. There's no other, Yeah, there's no.
Speaker 1: Brody is arguing with his white board Spencer.
Speaker 6: If you google g sticks, you know what, I will.
Speaker 3: Spencer, which of these should I cross out?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I got some banner for you.
Speaker 10: You know, I spent a week with with Garrett Smith uh in Colorado. I was doing most of the cooking last week for him and my dad and that guy.
Speaker 4: You can count on him whatever you may.
Speaker 1: It's just like, oh, good dinner, companion.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're like, yeah, thanks, you could give him that banana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you brought that into your lunch.
Speaker 4: Always have a banana with me.
Speaker 3: Now, good luck.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying I have round, Randalls saying inside round, Max saying flank, Kevin saying sirloin star. Without an answer, Brody saying I round, Yannis saying eye of round, Steve saying football. We have a correct answer in the room. It's eye of round, Brody, Janie and Anna got it right.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: The eye of round is an elongated muscle that's tucked inside a deer's hind quarter. It's sandwich between the top round and bottom round along the femur. According to Danielle Pruitt, it's a roast that you should save for a special occasion and treat like a steak.
Speaker 4: Would you accept the t I would.
Speaker 2: Now that's from the other side.
Speaker 10: I disagree about what it might It looks it looks like the tenderloin.
Speaker 4: It is nowhere near.
Speaker 1: I didn't name it, Yanni.
Speaker 10: I'm disagreeing. Not that you shouldn't treat it as a steak. It's a nice cut of meat. But like if someone was like, oh, this is like a tenderloin. Bro here, I'm treating you right. Take this thing home and cook it. You got that thing's authentic.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's a leg muscle that gets worked pretty good.
Speaker 2: Man around for like chicken fried steaks.
Speaker 10: Pound it out, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, pounded or run it through the grinder.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like question for the topic is biology. This next right question comes to us from Nick Sikowski. What element in skunk spray is responsible for its pungent smell?
Speaker 6: What the hell?
Speaker 5: What is the definition of element?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not giving you any hints? What element in skunk spray is responsible for its pungent smell? So so the room is not confused, I'm referring to like an element from the periodic table table, like a literal element. What element in skunk spray is responsible for its pungent smell?
Speaker 5: That's the definition?
Speaker 6: Should know this. I just ran over a skunk on Sunday.
Speaker 1: I thought I could smell that when you walked in, Randall.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's stuck around. I didn't hit I didn't kill it. The person in front of me killed it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what Anna says when she does the No Country for old Men both in the cows. I didn't kill it, just stunned it. Yeah, exactly what element in skunk spray is responsible for its pungent smell? This is question four. The room is not very confident.
Speaker 3: Which I had a periodic table.
Speaker 4: Kevin, how you feeling about it?
Speaker 9: I feel pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know your periodic table? Well as a doctor at one, but Randall, do you know your periodic table?
Speaker 6: Well, no, it's been a while, been a while. The noble gases.
Speaker 3: That's where he got lost.
Speaker 8: I like it when you get to the elements that are obviously named after other things.
Speaker 1: Like Einsteini.
Speaker 10: I helped my I think it was seventh sound through eighth grade class remember antimony, which was SB by telling him that to remember s B. Anthony Susan Susan b Anthony Trapper.
Speaker 5: Steve is stumped.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, bad. Matter of fact, when I wrote down, I'm not convinced it's an element.
Speaker 1: In their mind. I don't know if this is a word, because everybody read all. Let's go ahead and reveal your answers, saying.
Speaker 2: Harris, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Randall's saying sul for Max saying so for kept and saying sulfur, Chester saying methane. Crowd. Are you saying ammonia crossed out sulfur? You're honest saying ammonia. I met sulfur with this, but phosphorus blake sulfur. The correct answer is sulfur, got it right? Why Why would we give it to you for phosphorus?
Speaker 3: I think sulfur is a phosphor, but I was asking for the elements. So if it is, don't let me look unless you want to argue with her.
Speaker 1: Okay, you looked at up. Skunk spray is a thiel, which is an organic compound with sulfur as the principal component. Sulfur has a rotten egg smell and is what gives a feel. It's gag inducing power. Skunks can accurately accurately hit a target from up to twenty feet away. What are we learning, Steve?
Speaker 5: Does this count as an argument?
Speaker 1: What are we looking up? Are you trying to phosphorus is an element, so then you named a different element. We're not going to accept that. Question five, the topic, The topic is hunting. Topic is hunting?
Speaker 3: A compound?
Speaker 1: Name the two most owned dog breeds by upland hunters in America. What topic is hunting? Name the two most owned dog breeds by upland hunters in America. This is via the North American Upland Bird Hunting Survey as of when twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Is this like really specific?
Speaker 1: Here's how specific you should be. If you think the answer is white tail deer, you can write white tail deer. You wouldn't need to write cous deer. I'm sorry if you thought the answer was cous deer, just write white tail deer. That's good enough. Name the two most owned dog breeds by upland hunters in America.
Speaker 6: According to whom?
Speaker 1: Again, this is the North American Upland Bird Hunting Survey.
Speaker 5: Three A good feeling.
Speaker 1: You need two answers for this. If you think the answer is cou's deer, you can just write white tailed deer instead.
Speaker 3: What's what's there? You got? What's the score?
Speaker 1: Right now? This is question five? We'll get a scoreboard update. After this, Steve is expressing confusion. I will let our listeners know that prior to the game, Yanni looked at Steve's whiteboard and said, Steve, why did you write Seth's name on it?
Speaker 3: So I start off on a bad app. I wrote someone else's.
Speaker 1: Name for Steve's whiteboard. He literally wrote Seth's name, and we have no explanation as to why. Here's the question again, name the two most owned dog breeds by upland hunters in America. So I need two answers from all of our players. Is everybody ready? Dude? Ready? So hot? Ana? Hello? Anna is making one change, we'll see go ahead, go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Anna saying German wire hair and English setter, Randall's saying German short hair pointer, and lab Max saying GSP and lab, Kevin saying GSP and lab Chester and Brody saying GSP and lab, Jiannis saying lab An English pointer, Steve Cross saying saying Brittany and Springer. The two correct answers are German short hair pointer and Labrador retriever. The room did pretty well. This is via the North American Upland Bird Hunting survey that was conducted by Project Upland They're Polling found that twenty one percent of Upland hunters have a German short hair pointer, nineteen percent a Labrador retriever, fourteen percent have an English setter, eleven percent have a Brittany, and eleven percent have a German wire haired pointer.
Speaker 3: And I could just picture some.
Speaker 6: Some watch what you're about to say, some snooty.
Speaker 3: Or sky so I changed it.
Speaker 8: That's actually why why when I asked who it was, according like, where you're getting this from? I was wondering if they would include lab or not, and I thought it seemed like sufficient.
Speaker 3: I thought, I know, but still I wouldn't have wrote the other thing down though. Roting is that a word?
Speaker 1: You're really You're really fade man, Phil. We are halfway through our game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: We have a a Chester, Max and Steve all tied up with two points, Jannis has three and uh four points apiece are Randall, Kevin and Brody in first place.
Speaker 1: Kevin just needed me to write the episode to well.
Speaker 9: I was gunning for Steve when he hosted I could beat him.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 6: Kevin hasn't pattern Spencer.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Question six, The topic is cooking. This next great question comes to us via Steve Benke. This mushroom, which is sometimes referred to as a lawyer's wig, commonly grows in parks, backyards, and ditches. Topic is cooking. This mushroom, which is sometimes sometimes referred to as a lawyer's wig, commonly grows in parks, backyards, and ditches. Steve is confident he has the right answer. Steve, you have this one.
Speaker 6: Look like you fell.
Speaker 1: He's making it worse, but for us that means he's making it better.
Speaker 4: He likes to smell that mark. What do you got an edible mushroom?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just the topic is cooking, so but what not to cook?
Speaker 1: Brodie? How do you feel about your answers?
Speaker 5: Oh, man, I'm not a mush like if it's not a morell or chantrelle, I don't really care.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's trying to put it like that. It doesn't matter. Sure that he doesn't know.
Speaker 1: This mushroom, which is sometimes referred to as a lawyer's wig, commonly grows in parks, backyards, and ditches.
Speaker 4: We got a lawyer coming up. It's a guest here.
Speaker 1: A lawyer's wig. Does that change your answer? Chess?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean yes for sure, but I can't think of what I want to write down.
Speaker 1: What's the lawyer coming up? Is it the corner crossing lawyer? It's great? Is that fellow and outdoorsman himself a bottom? Okay, loll learn something out? Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying puffball, Randall saying Krusty's, Max saying the little brown mushroom, Kevin saying chantrelle. Chess, you're saying turkey tail, Brody saying shaggy mane. Yannas saying shaggy mane. Steve saying shaggy man.
Speaker 3: The time of year I saw one today?
Speaker 1: They got it. The correct answer is shaggy Maine.
Speaker 3: They could come up. They could come up through broken asphalt.
Speaker 1: Very impressive. And that time of year is like any time of year that it's even.
Speaker 3: They like they'll.
Speaker 1: Grow anytime when you got rained between.
Speaker 10: If anybody in this room is interested, I have a big old patch available shaggy Man's.
Speaker 3: It tastes like asparagus, and they do not freeze well yet to pre cook them and then freeze them do you see, you cook them if you freeze them though this turned ink Yanni.
Speaker 1: Do you spray the area where these things are located?
Speaker 4: No, they're at my neighbors.
Speaker 1: I'd be interested. Love shaggy manes. As the name implies, they have a texture camp that resembles the lawyer's wig that used to be common in British courtrooms. Shaggy Man's regularly show up after rain and are just as common in urban areas as they are in nature. They are considered a choice edible mushroom and they work great on steaks or burgers.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something I never heard lawyer's wig.
Speaker 1: Is inferred, but they look like a lawyer's wig, and they're one of those few edible mushrooms that grows right in your backyard.
Speaker 3: I feel like you do a lot of those. To be honest with you, Where you have a like a known as and you're known as is not something that is known as.
Speaker 1: It's part of trivia Question seven. The topic is conservation. Name one of the two federal agencies that administer the endangered species list name one of the two federal agencies that administer the endangered species The room is very confident unlike the mushroom question that we just had. I need you to name one of the two federal agencies that administer the endangered species list.
Speaker 3: I'm on fire.
Speaker 5: Coming back because it's hot.
Speaker 1: This question seven? How do we do that? Phil? Our all podcast studios just warm by nature?
Speaker 11: I mean, yeah, there's usually a lot of expensive air circulation happening.
Speaker 1: Did you did you notice that when we were like in serious or we're in serious studio?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, no, spotify that here. I don't know, it doesn't It doesn't help that are the air to this room is just connected to the whole building.
Speaker 4: So it's cold outside.
Speaker 11: It's just gonna hat the whole building, including this room where we've got lights and cameras and ten people sitting around.
Speaker 6: A lot of breath, a lot of breath.
Speaker 1: Everybody have an answer. Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 1: Ann are saying E P. A. Randall's saying US Fish and why Life Service, Max saying US Fish and Wildlife Service, Kevin saying US Fish and Wildlife Service, Chester saying them of the Interior.
Speaker 9: Vin say, it's a federal one.
Speaker 1: Wildlife Service, Rody saying US Fish question Yanni and Steve saying into what someone wrote. The correct answer is the US Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Marine Fishery Service, which is also known as the Noah Fisheries. The National Marine Fishery Service, which is part of the Department of Commerce, manages the marine portion of the Endangered Species list. The US Fish and Wildlife Service, which is part of the Department of the Interior, manages everything else. The two agencies are responsible for decisions like listing and delisting, designating critical habitat, and developing recovery plans. Question eight. The topic is woodsmanship. This is our listener question of the week, which was one by Evan Hardele for sending this great question. Evan is going to get a book signed by Steve. If you want a chance to win a listener Question of the Week and send your question to Trivia at the meadeater dot com. The topic is woodsmanship. Name two of the five states with the most tornadoes since two thousand and eight. Max is very confident. Max, you got this one right. You think the topic is woodsmanship. I need you to name two of the five states with the most tornadoes since two thousand and eight, so you know your risk factor when you're.
Speaker 6: Going out of the woods.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yep, Like, am I gonna get hit by a hurricane? Is there going to be a blizzard coming? Or am I going to get struck down by a tornado? Name two of the five states with the most tornadoes since two thousand and eight. Our room looks like they're feeling good, Kevin, is are these trivia questions more your speed now that I'm in the host seat instead.
Speaker 9: Of are you asking me if Steve's questions suck?
Speaker 1: You can answer it however you'd like. I mean, you are his dentist. That gives you some power to Yeah.
Speaker 12: What I have always enjoyed about your trivia show is I can do very well on average and then drop a two. I can drop a deuce like that. Usually I feel like I'm still around at question eight. I don't know if I'm going to be there today.
Speaker 1: Well, this is question eight. We'll get a leaderboard update from philm after this. Does everybody have two states written? Two of the five states of.
Speaker 8: The two I was listening, I'm having a hard time with reading cover you, but that would reveal that I'm looking at your board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, Max was watching Randall that whole time with a grin on his face because he knew and only had one answer. Good looking at everybody, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying Kansas and Oklahoma, Randall saying Missouri and Kansas. Max saying Oklahoma and Kansas. Kevin sang Alabama and Kansas. Chester saying Florida and Kansas, Brody saying Kansas and Illinois. Jannis saying Oklahoma, Kansas, Steve saying Arkansas and Missouri. The five states are Texas, Mississippi, Kansas, Alabama, and Louisiana. I think did anybody get was the only one?
Speaker 3: Kevin?
Speaker 1: Well done? Kevin Kansas that.
Speaker 3: Wants to kill that witch Kansas Kansas bias.
Speaker 1: This information is via a study done by the Insurance Information Institute. Since two thousand and eight, Texas has averaged one hundred tornadoes per year, which leads the country. That's followed by Mississippi with one o two, Kansas with eighty seven, Alabama with eighty three, and Louisiana with sixty three. Just missing the top five. We're Illinois, Iowa, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.
Speaker 3: Where's our tornado alley?
Speaker 1: Tornado alley? I think it's from like Texas to I don't know, Illinois and the Great Plains. I think it's a whole Greatlahoa.
Speaker 3: I wrote art down my clays. There's all those trees levels down by the toad.
Speaker 5: Do you ever hear that Brent Reeves story about killing a gobbler in a tornado?
Speaker 1: That's right, yeah, film, We have two questions left. Where does our leaderboard stand?
Speaker 11: Geez buh, Chester and Anna have two points apiece, Max has three and all of them will not be able to catch up. But Steve has four points. Randal and Giannis are tied up with five, and tied up in first place are Brody, Henderson and Kevin the Dentist and the guest playing a great game? How many points have six points?
Speaker 1: Six points? Two questions left? Question nine The topic is fishing. This five letter word refers to the fixture on docks and boats that acts as a tie down point for rope. Randall's got it, Steve and Brody and Giannis and Kevin will have it as well.
Speaker 8: Game Chang, Yes, I feel like you need to get Questions nine and ten need to bring the heat.
Speaker 3: Well, he should have nines and tens in his pocket. For when there's like a you know, yeah, some points. That's what I was getting at. There's some questions where he's like, just things only I'll know from when I'm behind.
Speaker 1: As reading the room. Here, it looks like five people have this right, three will not. Here's the question again. This five letter word refers to the fixture warts and boats that acts as a tie down point.
Speaker 3: Laugh, Chess, you can't figure this out, Chess.
Speaker 1: Ben warned that he's going to laugh. If you can't figure out, give us a preview.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Chester.
Speaker 1: That's what's on the line here.
Speaker 5: Chesster been pouring all his energy into taking care of.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Have you seen those videos of guys like throwing the ropes around these things and they're so good at it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Max Drew one.
Speaker 1: We're not going to give him credit, but he did draw on you, Drew.
Speaker 4: Chester.
Speaker 1: What do we have for lunch today?
Speaker 7: I didn't eat anything.
Speaker 3: I came from a shoot.
Speaker 1: Dang Chester. Steve's working. That's why, so I don't need the second one. He does actually want giving up just walking out. Okay, ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have anna without an answer, Randall saying cleat Max drew what appears to be a cleat. Kevin, he says cleat Chester without an answer. Brody and Giannis and Steve all say cleete. They got it. The correct answer is I think boat cleats had been around for thousands of years and were independently developed by different cultures. The most popular cleat today, which is known as a horn cleat, dates back to the eighteenth century. Some other modern iterations of the cleat include the jam cleat, the clam cleat, and the zigzag cleat.
Speaker 3: I like zigzag cleats quite a bit, but I like him on the boat.
Speaker 1: Mmmm. I wish you had a picture of zig zag cleet.
Speaker 3: I'll show you one.
Speaker 1: He's gonna draw one for us while Phil gives the scoreboard up date.
Speaker 5: Steve has erased his name from his board because given up.
Speaker 11: We've got Giannis and Randall with six points, and Brody and Kevin was.
Speaker 3: Here's the top down view of a z cleat.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly what it looks like. Hmm.
Speaker 4: And that's all you gotta do. You don't have.
Speaker 3: Proved on a side of view. These look like this as.
Speaker 1: Long as there's pressure from both sides.
Speaker 3: So you lay the rope in that like the rope laze like this?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you want to hold that up for the class.
Speaker 1: Very good question. Ten, the topic is shooting. This the last great question comes to look.
Speaker 3: At that picture? Know exactly what they were looking at?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tell me what one of the H is in four H stands for? And this is the organization that holds the youth shooting competitions.
Speaker 3: God give you the.
Speaker 1: Sure well Steve, Steve has all the confidence. I think he's the only one I know all the h really very impressive. Again, the topic shooting, I need you to tell me what one of the H is in four H stands for? Is in the organization that holds youth shooting competition? Steve is very sure of his answer. Is anyone else competent? Anna? Do you have this one?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Okay? What'd you do in four H? Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Start with an H.
Speaker 1: Did you ever win any sheep?
Speaker 4: Or Baker's?
Speaker 2: I think I won a Blue state for like peanut butter cookies or something.
Speaker 1: Wow, legendary Baker. Then here is still in this Gianni is in it? I think we have Kevin Randall. Randall, do you have one of the hs? No?
Speaker 6: I don't. I'd rather tell you what the four stands for. I think I have a pretty good guess.
Speaker 1: But Kevin, do you have one of the ages? Brody do you have one of the I have no idea, Johnnie, do you have one of the ages? I believe so I'll okay this.
Speaker 3: This would have almost caught me up if this has happened.
Speaker 1: Twice, if we'd made it a four pointer, I think he'd be right there.
Speaker 2: I will say I've killed a lot of fourage animals.
Speaker 1: So, okay, is everybody ready? Randall, I'm adding to my answer.
Speaker 6: I'm adding word answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, just one word, though, is all we're looking for. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Anna saying heart, Randall's saying homemaking, Max saying harvest, Kevin saying homemaker, Chester saying heart, Brody saying home, crossed out, horticulture, Honest saying horse, Steve saying heart, Steve, tell him what the four? Ah isn't it?
Speaker 3: Hands? Heart, head and health?
Speaker 1: Headed, hearts, hands and health.
Speaker 7: I pledge my head for greater thinking, my heart to grow greater loyalty, my hands.
Speaker 1: To You're getting to the fact, have to reach my head.
Speaker 7: To greater thinking, my heart to greater low team, my hands to larger service, maybe keep going, and my health in my house, to.
Speaker 1: To better living for my club, my community, my country, and my world. The one era you had Chester was I pledged my head to clearer thinking, not greater thinking. But I'm very impressed that you and Anna knew that much.
Speaker 5: Remember that you couldn't remember.
Speaker 6: That could have been anybody's game.
Speaker 1: They teach six disciplines in shooting that are archery, air rifle, air pistol, shotgun, muzzleloader, twenty two rifle, and twenty two pistol. Phil, I don't even know what happened there. Do we have a winning.
Speaker 11: Fagle for our leaders? So Brody and Kevin are tied up with seven.
Speaker 1: Points, and nobody joined them. Then nobody joined, Okay, Kevin and you sure you got?
Speaker 3: Everybody want to point out where.
Speaker 11: Steve, Jannis and Randall all have six points and they did a very good job.
Speaker 4: We're all proud.
Speaker 6: I think I think all four of those h's are off brand.
Speaker 1: But we were down to Brody and Kevin going to overtime played the drop, Phil.
Speaker 4: Possible, guess where.
Speaker 3: I think just cut it at if you ain't first your last and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I never liked it a Phil off Man.
Speaker 5: The tie breaker is a new Year. The first time I ever met Kevin. I wanted a week ago, a little over a week ago, and he walks up to me. He's like, I really like beating you at trivia.
Speaker 4: Know, and here we are.
Speaker 1: Now his chance remember that Mark Kevin will have his chance here. The tie breaking topic is hunting. This is a nu miracle question. Whoever is the close between Brody and Kevin will be declared the winner here it is how many animals in the Boone and Crockett record book are split into typical and non typical categories. Wow, everyone in the room should play along. If somebody were to get it right on the nose, we will add an extra one dollar donation at the end of the game. The only answers that we really care about are from Kevin and Brody, though they need to tell me how many animals and the Boone and crocket record book are split into typical and non typical categories. I see both of them doing some list making over there.
Speaker 4: I'm making a list too.
Speaker 1: Okay, random with a quick answer He doesn't care for the extra hundred dollars donation. He just wants.
Speaker 4: To get it over there.
Speaker 3: How do you know?
Speaker 1: You just know.
Speaker 6: I was just able to come to my guests.
Speaker 3: I know you're not going to answer this, but you know what I'm wondering about is how much split is going on?
Speaker 1: Gonna not gonna be? This is a Boone and Crocket record book. You need to tell me how many animals they have split into typical and non typical categories. Kevin, do you have any critters in the Boone and Crocket record book?
Speaker 12: I've never submitted one. I got a mountain goat that's worthy. I have six years ago that I had green scored.
Speaker 1: Okay, any other animals that would make it in there.
Speaker 12: I've got about one hundred and twenty six of blacktails, but I've never scored any of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, one of them.
Speaker 9: Maybe I grew up up there.
Speaker 1: Brody. Have you ever killed a Boone and Crocket critter? Uh? Yes?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 1: Okay, literally, don't let's not.
Speaker 5: Let's not Crocket minimum.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready with an answer?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: With the deductions and everything?
Speaker 5: Maybe not. I don't know a.
Speaker 3: Black bear for sure, there's no deductions.
Speaker 9: Was that a non typical black beard?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Actually pretty?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: I feel like people kill three legged bears every now and then?
Speaker 1: Tripod? Mm hmm. Under Brody and Kevin, how do you know he doesn't have it?
Speaker 4: Would you ask me?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: Solid?
Speaker 1: You think you have it on the nose? No, Brody, are we ready?
Speaker 4: I kill with the number and then added three. Go ahead and.
Speaker 1: Reveal your answers. We have Anna sang four, Randall sang nine, Max sang nine, Chester saying seven, Yanna sang twelve, Steve saying eight. We have Brody saying fourteen, and Kevin saying seven. One of you is one off from the correct answer between Brody and Kevin.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is six. Kevin is a winner.
Speaker 3: Well done, I got closer than Brody.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's great. What the six animals are? Do you want to name them? Do you think you know them?
Speaker 9: Roosevelt, Rocky Mountain and Tuli, elk sick black tail mule deer.
Speaker 1: And white tail American elk, Columbia black tail mule deer, sick of black tail, white tailed deer and COO's white tail moose is not a well done Kevin.
Speaker 5: Everything doesn't matter how you get there, Kevin announced, Cora.
Speaker 1: Kevin announced before the mics were on that on the what on his drive over here he started to think about who he would donate to, but he was worried he was getting too far down that path, so he stopped himself from coming up with a final answer. Kevin, you've now had a chance to think about. Where is the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater going to go.
Speaker 9: The Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance?
Speaker 1: What do you like about them?
Speaker 12: My happy place is looking down on mountain goats, and I've been fortunate enough to do it a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 12: They're actually indirectly why I'm here. The founder, Pete Munich, was on your show years ago and talking about the Alliance. I became a life member the next day and continue to support him. They go out and try and support fishing bio biology departments by doing annual counts every year and working on research.
Speaker 1: Well done, Cannibal Steve talked you up as a valid competitor, and here he is now in the winner's chair.
Speaker 9: Well, you're only right down the road.
Speaker 1: We'll have you back against some time. Thank you, Kevin. Join us next time for more Meat Eater trivia game show, go see Doctor Yes the only discounts Boon and Crocks.
Speaker 4: Let's get out.
Speaker 3: Meeting her twenty for twenty years off your next film. Three Feelings.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure I have a patient in my chair, so okay, that's a good thing you want.
Speaker 3: Does that act like you were in the other room, dude,