Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Way to go, Chris, and things are already better here for chrisco. Yes, Savannah has made the open.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy, you know.
Speaker 3: And we're always trying to or I am always trying to spin it positive on this show.
Speaker 4: So good, block, I've.
Speaker 3: Got one positive right off the top. How about them Rangers.
Speaker 2: You met so funny.
Speaker 5: I was talking to my brother last night. I hadn't been checking them out, and he gave me the whole rundown on how they got topsy turvy. We went in trouble ye two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Like lost four one six, lost four. Now they've won five in a row again.
Speaker 4: And so and have a magic number of five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the magic number is down to five.
Speaker 5: I tell him give me some information because we don't want to talk cowboys today.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: We got just the right topic. Instead of it's the final week of the baseball season.
Speaker 4: Instead of playing cowboys stampede, We're gonna play cowboys retreat.
Speaker 5: No, no, mamas, don't let your babies cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if the Rangers had a stampede song. Yeah, it was a stampeded Seattle, all right, So might as well jump right in everybody else.
Speaker 2: We jump into the deep end, jump into the pirana.
Speaker 3: Infested deep end, and uh, here we are. You know, there were like five unbeaten teams that lost on Sunday. By the end of this night, assuming there's a winner and not a tie between Philadelphia and Tampa Bay, there will be three unbeaten, untied teams left in the league, Miami, San Francisco, and the winner of tonight's Philadelphia Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: Miami is going crazy.
Speaker 4: How do you give up seventy points?
Speaker 2: How do you score seventy points?
Speaker 3: You haven't I thought last I thought last year's Denver team was the worst.
Speaker 2: No, here comes Sean Payton. I can do better. I mean that I can do worse.
Speaker 4: That's high school stuff.
Speaker 5: Seven right, that's HBCU versus Power five schools. Come on, Gramley got beat by LSU. They put a seventy burger on us.
Speaker 4: It seems like the majority.
Speaker 2: Said that again, seventy burger.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, put seventy plus on us against L s U.
Speaker 2: It was seventy even, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Was it? You know how they did that ten touchdowns?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yep, damn.
Speaker 6: I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I never would have thought of that. That's amazing.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Solo possessions, I'm not sure that Miami did yesterday. But we're digressing.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we want to digress.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals didn't have any hollow possessions in the first half. That's right, went five for five.
Speaker 5: How about that run defense, guys, it was amazing the one that was fixed.
Speaker 2: Yes, the one that is well.
Speaker 3: I stayed up till two o'clock in the morning trying to fix that run defense. I looked at it. I've got some details. I don't have to jump right into the right off the bat and start with some general observations.
Speaker 5: General observation is every time we do our picks to click, we are always a week behind.
Speaker 4: We ain't doing those. We're not going to spend any time on any of that.
Speaker 2: We are horrible when it comes to try to fix this team out.
Speaker 3: It's just like Everson. You don't give out game balls when the team loses, and we don't review picks to click.
Speaker 4: Because nothing clicked. The scores weren't accurate.
Speaker 5: What was what was the model last week? Put away the anointing oil.
Speaker 4: Well, but that's the way that's for everybody outside. I'm not giving them that excuse that they went in there all high and mighty and weren't emotionally ready to play number one. To me, they had opportunities to win this game despite the injuries. And I know what the injuries on the offensive line did. Missing three fifths of your starters.
Speaker 3: All who have been to either at least one, if not to eight Pro Bowls.
Speaker 4: Yea, and being replaced by two guys that were making their first NFL starts and had gotten into the NFL as undrafted free agents. So I understand injuries matter. But there were no injuries that affected the run defense on defense, right, I know Diggs was not there, but it was the run defense giving up two one hundred and twenty two yards and I was thinking, man, when is the last time they gave up that many yards or more? Well, they gave up two hundred and forty to the Bears last year if you remember, but they won.
Speaker 2: Well, that was and there was a lot of the quarterback was as well.
Speaker 4: The quarterback did forty four start the game? Right, that's true, And.
Speaker 3: So worse than the two hundred and twenty two was the one hundred eighty two in the first.
Speaker 4: Ye which was the most since nineteen eighty one against I was gonna say against the Cowboys. Yeah, nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was going to say it may have been us. I was ready to fall on the sword. It was.
Speaker 4: It was nineteen ninety So the run defense and the entire defense, if they had just played average, you have a chance to win the game.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And then what we thought was, you know one of those things last week with problems in the red zone and goal to go, Well, it's a problem now because now there are three four to eleven scoring touchdowns inside the red zone. You can't win ball games like.
Speaker 3: And forget the red zone the offense and then goal to go even work. But I'm talking just in general. How many touchdowns has the offense scored in three games six? Right, they've got three passing touchdowns, one a four yard pass to Jacob Ferguson one a one yard pass to a tackle eligible tight end Luke Schoonmaker, and one in yesterday's game fifteen or sixteen yards whatever it was to Recodoubtle r. And so none to wide receiver.
Speaker 4: Well there should have been one. And if anybody has the front page of the sports section of the Dallas Morning News, there is a picture of number fifty, number twenty two in Michael Gallops grill. The ball is about from where I'm at to Savannah. He's got his arms reached out and the guy doesn't turn his head, smashes into him and there's a flag. Ye, some reason they picked it up.
Speaker 2: What did they say about that at the press costs?
Speaker 4: I didn't say, Dak.
Speaker 2: I meant the post game dak uh.
Speaker 4: He tap danced around it, saying you would have liked that call or something.
Speaker 3: Well, but the first thing, to his credit what Dak said was he should have. Yeah, it was a little under the thrown, so he was kind.
Speaker 2: Of putting very catchable. Yeah it's it was catchable.
Speaker 3: But he, as he said in his press conference afterwards, he should have got it out. Quicker got it out ahead of Gallup where he's making the catch.
Speaker 4: In the end stone but regardless.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, but then he said, you know, Michael Gallup had the best perspective of everybody on it because he was the one that had the guy.
Speaker 4: And since I'm we just started there the holding on Michael Parsons, don't tell me the hold was at the one yard line. The hold was from the goal line.
Speaker 2: Wow, that really got me safety.
Speaker 5: I'm up here doing the LMO right dance touchdown celebration. I'm thinking, oh, we're going to get this safety right now. I'm just waiting on them to get together, talk it out, and he's gonna come back with it.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I can't wait to talk to John Fossil because I can't find the hold on Harper on the punt return.
Speaker 5: Oh, that was a hold where it was on the release after the snap. It wasn't during the return.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, because that's why they marked it. From where he comes now.
Speaker 3: He was engaged with him and then it targeted and it wouldn't let go.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't let.
Speaker 4: Go, and the guy turned he pushed them down.
Speaker 2: Well, no, he I think it was a jersey. He had jersey.
Speaker 5: He had jersey, and hey, you know, me. I'm with you, I know, but that that was a legitimate call. That was a legitimate call.
Speaker 4: I think you can call one of those on every.
Speaker 2: And that is another point. It's a legitimate call. But do you call that as diligently as you should?
Speaker 4: But anyway, the fact that they had opportunities to win the game and got beat twenty eight to sixteen, and even though they're in the game, when it's twenty one sixteen with nine thirty three to go, you don't have to give up a sixty nine yard pass that somebody no one even bothered to cover.
Speaker 2: Was it man to man or zone?
Speaker 4: Well, someone was playing I saw Gilmore playing man. He was and everybody else was playing the zone in zone.
Speaker 2: So he followed his man in side right. He should have been.
Speaker 4: Deep third and nobody was there.
Speaker 2: I thought he should have been deep there. I think, yeah, because.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they'll have a defense to wear the zone one side and then there's man one side. So maybe that was one of those defenses. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Well, it wasn't a good defense.
Speaker 2: It was not. It was a bad cause.
Speaker 8: I mean ten penalties in this first half.
Speaker 4: Guess in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first half.
Speaker 8: I mean, what are your perspectives on just that first half as a whole. I mean that definitely set us back big time.
Speaker 5: That was that was lazy football to me. That's what I called it. Lazy football.
Speaker 4: The false starts I didn't get.
Speaker 2: And then it's like they all lost their minds at the same time.
Speaker 4: The off side, the off sides, and I saw Parson remarked about it that the officials said something to them about calling in the neutral zone before the game started, but the one he got called for that they I think they declined it. It looked like he was going to be off sides because he started, but he never crossed the line of scrimmage, and it's like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: So, having said that, on the Parsons sack, yeah, Sam Williams jumped and I went back and looked at it and it was very close whether whether the ball had been snapped yet. Yeah, I on my TV at home. I had to sit there and I had to get it right. And you can get it to where the ball hasn't been snapped yet, and his hand is into the neutral zone where they could have called it, but they didn't call it. On the ground on the ground right like he started in the new tright he jumped forward, so Cowboys almost had Parson. I'm a little surprised that the Cowboys got the call on that, no call on that.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, on the punt return, I thought it was Sam Williams holding because he looked like he was holding this guy up the middle, and I said, oh, he just got the number.
Speaker 5: Well, obviously they knew that this was an opportunity, so everyone was really concentrating on keeping the man from coming down the field, but just a little too vigorous.
Speaker 4: And it didn't have anything to do with the return.
Speaker 3: God, what a run that was.
Speaker 4: You could just see it. I thought he was going when when where you're in at the game, you can see the whole field at once, and you're looking up and going, oh, here we go. And that didn't happen, so anyway to me, you know, no, I understand the injuries and we'll find out more. The worst part about him was not until Saturday did they think anybody was going to miss a game. When I when I checked on Friday, it was like, we're making Beadish and Zach Martin questionable just to cover ourselves. Because they didn't practice or would not have practiced on Friday, but thought they could play.
Speaker 2: I was very surprised.
Speaker 4: And then on Saturday, on Saturday, yeah, on Saturday, and go ahead me. On Saturday, they're leaving for the get for for the charter, and it's like Tyron Smith now turns up on the injury report, and they said on Sunday that, well, we're going to work them out. And then when they did the inactives, they didn't make them an active. Yeah, and they didn't make him an active and they said I was told that he was available on an emergency situation. Well, at some point in the second quarter, I deemed it an emergency. Get his ass in there. Yeah, right, I don't need an injury the office is injured an emergency. And I wondered if they considered moving Tyler Smith from from left guard to well, I think, I think, except that he had not played.
Speaker 3: To your point on it was so late in the week, meaning the day before the game, before they realized they didn't have these guys. Now, Zach didn't practice all week, so they were they were fighting there. As far as his replacement, TJ Bass starts at right guard, and but as far as Beattish goes, and so Hoffman doesn't get the reps during practice this week, and Tyrone had worked out during the had been practicing during the week, and so Chumba hadn't got and so had they had Tyler come up lame. To your point, if Tyler had come up lame on Wednesday, Tyron Tyrone, I mean come up lame on Wednesday, then they might have kicked Tyler out. But we don't know for sure what Mike Clari's thoughts are on where Tyler Smith is. I mean, obviously he considered him from the outset. He's exclusively working at left guard right, but they did that last year and then Tyron got hurt and they kicked him out to left.
Speaker 4: Tackle because during the week Tuma Adugo was playing left basically left guard.
Speaker 3: So if Tyron was out for multiple weeks, I wonder could they would do.
Speaker 4: I know what I would have done.
Speaker 3: They would probably kick Tyler out to left tackle.
Speaker 4: I would think Tuma had guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, but since Tyler had and he was just coming back getting his first activity of the season, well he hadn't played a game since last year.
Speaker 5: He looked like it looked like it. So it was a lot of penalties. I don't know if you have that, Savannah, how many penalties did he have?
Speaker 3: I don't have specifics.
Speaker 4: Tyler, Oh, I thought he just had one?
Speaker 2: Was it just one? Yeah? I saw something.
Speaker 5: I thought I saw at least two calls on him.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 4: Well, so I don't know. That's That's what I thought, that that game was winnable even though they got beat.
Speaker 2: I agreed.
Speaker 4: Twenty eight six.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, it.
Speaker 3: Was definitely winnable. Okay, when we come back, how about we look at just how Arizona was able to run the football so well against the UK.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be your safe Sunday.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I did some research on it, and everyone else can chime in when we come back here on mixed shots.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the press guy who looks white. It's not there. He escaped slapped.
Speaker 2: He'll look full punchtown.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 4: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 11: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 10: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can, cracks, a kickoff, tailgates, going way pass, postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings, Swag Brisky in the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Clue America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 6: Miller Lte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: Miller Brown Company, fort Worth, Texas Demit shuts.
Speaker 8: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Okay and Everson asked the question about Tyler Smith in the offense. But you're thinking more Terrence Steele rather than Tyler Tyler, I've according to Pro Football Reference, Tyler did not have an offensive did not have a penalty in the game. So just to clear that up, thank you. Let's clear Tyler Smith's name. Now we'll look up Terrence Steele here in a second.
Speaker 4: But all right, So why were.
Speaker 3: The Cardinals able to run the football so well against the Cowboys in this game? I think, as you do as well, Mickey, that they took advantage of the aggression that dan Quinn's defense plays with.
Speaker 4: Right from the start.
Speaker 3: Second play of the game.
Speaker 4: Second play, josh Dobbs, Michael Parson's tackling James Connor and he ain't got the ball and there is nobody over there, and I mean nobody's there, and if Bland doesn't run him down, it's a touchdown.
Speaker 3: He's going with what the Cowboys had over there. Three, the formation, the personnel that the Cowboys had on the field, they had on the right side of the defense. Parsons was at right defensive end and he immediately rushed the passer okay, and Dobbs on the zone Raid took the ball out and headed right past him. And so then you had Donnava Wilson and jay Ron Curse out on the flank, and they had two tight ends blocking both of them, and Hole was right there. And right up the scene goes down the sideline goes Joshua Dobbs for forty four.
Speaker 4: Yards and they ended up double teaming curse over there, right, So they're in two tight end, but you're playing your nickel big defense, Yeah, would curse.
Speaker 3: And all the tight end Ertz had to do was seal the edge basically, right. It wasn't any great block that he had to put on curse. The Cowboys were so intent on playing forward aggressive defense, which has worked for them so much, that all the tight end had to do is getting the way and the back or the quarterback in this case, is down the sideline.
Speaker 4: And it's Donovan Williams's first game, right, so he takes a false step to his left and then and to me, that's all you got to do. It's amazing. He's a veteran one false step.
Speaker 3: The other linebackers were to the other side of the format, Clark and Vanders.
Speaker 2: Last year he was one of the best safeties in the league period, right.
Speaker 4: But he hadn't played.
Speaker 3: That's the second player.
Speaker 5: I don't care if you hadn't played, not hear my things facts. That's basic football.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: That is basic football. He's got the tight end. I have leverage. That's basic football. I don't care how long you've been out.
Speaker 5: You got junior high, middle school, They know I need my outside shoulder free, and man, you can't come in.
Speaker 2: He was so aggressive, you know, mentally he was he was too far ahead of himself.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I think what we need to figure out who's who's setting the edge over there?
Speaker 4: He was, Now it should have been Parsons, Yes, because because.
Speaker 2: Go out and.
Speaker 4: Parsons is fell for. He fell for the handoff to Connor.
Speaker 5: Wilson was the one that was supposed to have outside leverage. That's all I'm telling you on that particular.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a second play since January. Think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And you know, once again, basics of basics, and we can.
Speaker 3: Say you don't know what the defense was.
Speaker 5: I'll bet you this dog on microphone here he's supposed to be outside. I'm sorry, guys, you know, I don't care how long it's been since she played Basics of basics and now in regards to being able to make the tackle, yes, that's one thing, but just the mentality of what I need to be is where I need to be.
Speaker 2: I don't care how long it's been.
Speaker 4: Going back to what Bill and I said, their over aggressiveness got them. And you know what I asked Donovan, I asked DeMarcus Lawrence that afterwards, and he said, you can say that that they were way too aggressive and didn't everybody It's going like hair on fire after the ball and not everybody playing their responsibilities.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he said it was a big wake up call for the team for defense with.
Speaker 3: The Cardinals did what we thought the Giants and Jets would do Cowboys, which was run the football against them. Okay, when you got an attacking defense like the Cowboys have had, and especially with the success the Cowboys have had with an attacking defense.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 3: You run right at them, you know, and neutralize on that.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I look at it like this. The Jets and the Giants they ran at their strength. They ran to the numbers.
Speaker 2: They thought they could overpower them.
Speaker 5: What the Cardinals did, they went backside, and they had numbers to the weak side.
Speaker 3: They also had the overway. They had a quarterback run threat.
Speaker 5: To that's another that's just another player that you attacked backside. So I don't care how many, how what position you had, if you had a linebacker versus a safety over there, it didn't matter. They were out numbered to the weak side period. Every time you ran that way, the hole was big, not because there was a cornerback over there. I don't kill who was over there. They were still going to be out manned on that side.
Speaker 3: And the Cardinals could look at what the Giants did on the first drive of the game with Daniel Jones running the football, and you can see that this defense can be susceptible to it if you're gonna pin your ears back and go after a sack all the.
Speaker 2: Time, Zack Wilson did the same thing.
Speaker 4: Can mac Jones run the ball?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yesterday we go at a quarterback sneak and then they were playing it was the corner of Sauce Gardener at him got into it big dime after a quarterback sneak late in the game yesterday.
Speaker 4: So the second So then go to the next possession and the defense actually stood up inside the five yard line right and forced the field goal. Then they get the twenty. It was a twenty two yard past interference on Bland on the deep ball and it was basically.
Speaker 2: Him doing.
Speaker 4: To Brown what was done to Gallop And they didn't pick up that flag, by the way, and that got them all the way to the twenty three yard line.
Speaker 5: The best thing I can say about this game is they actually made some good run adjustments in the second half.
Speaker 4: Yep, and they you know, you think after one hundred and eighty two in the.
Speaker 2: First So is it tough to hell?
Speaker 5: I was there, I shouldn't know, but it shouldn't be that tough to make that adjustment after the first.
Speaker 4: Quesll As Mike McCarthy said, if you wait to halftime to make the adjustments, you're late. You got to make them right.
Speaker 2: Away, that's right. And we didn't do it into the second.
Speaker 4: Quarter because then that second possession when they ended up scoring the touchdown and then decided to go for two after the Cowboys, what did they do jump off sides? They jumped off side in the extra point? Is that right?
Speaker 2: That's true?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Osa was off side.
Speaker 2: I mean that's when they did.
Speaker 4: So they decided to go for two and then didn't make it and it was nine to nothing. But they also had there was also a little dump off to Connor for ten yards on third and two to make it first in going.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we jumped out sides on the field goal as well, didn't we And they tried to We had a penalty and they tried to go, oh yeah, and then they still kicked, still kicked the field goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you, ever since the mindset of the defense when you lose it coming into a game like this, I'm trying to account for. Is there something to be said for when you look at the aggressive play of the defense, trying to do too much to make a big play when you've lost your Pro Bowl cornerback Trayvon Diggs and you know your offense is down three starters on the offensive line where there it's not it's not a question of effort, it's it's an attacking frame of mind that they have that they got to make a big play. And the success they've had not only in two games this year, but two seasons of the calling card of this defense is coming up with takeaways.
Speaker 5: And when you look at defenses that are trying to have the reputation that the Cowboys are trying to have, it's going to be We're going to smother you no matter who you are or what you run.
Speaker 2: But the coaches have to make that adjustment.
Speaker 5: You can say we're gonna smother you all you want if you keep doing the same thing over and over again. Smart coaches are going to figure.
Speaker 3: Out what they've made that adjustment at halftime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but once again, it's too late. You know, you could have you could have made that adjustment after the first quarter.
Speaker 2: Even after the first drive.
Speaker 5: You should at least say, Okay, guys, I see what they're trying to attack us.
Speaker 2: We saw it, the fan see it. What happened after the first drive. Okay, they're going backside.
Speaker 5: They're going to the weekside, overloading by one side, going back to the weak side. You could see that after the first drive. So where's the adjustment? Then that's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 4: So what did you see on Rondell Moore's forty five yard forty five yard touchdown the one that made it Cowboys had?
Speaker 3: I believe Michaeh. I'm looking at the TV copy, so it's hard to see some of the players, but I believe Michaeh was not on the field for that one. I believe Sam Williams was at right defensive end, and I wrote down he got blocked. He Samm Williams.
Speaker 4: He didn't set the edge, he got shoved inside.
Speaker 2: What happened to the linebacker coming over?
Speaker 3: The linebacker?
Speaker 4: He got blocked?
Speaker 2: You had had a tough day you had.
Speaker 3: Here was what they had up front?
Speaker 4: They had three wide and a tight end flanked out. Yes, I wrote down and it was.
Speaker 3: It was upfront they had Armstrong, Goldston Gallimore and Sam Williams.
Speaker 4: So they had the second second team line in on second and two at the Cowboys forty five.
Speaker 3: Then the same grouping was in on the previous play, which was a first down completion to More for eight yards forty seven, and the vander Esh and Marquise Bell were the linebackers, and vander Esh was to the left side of the defense and Bell was to the right side, which is where the play came right.
Speaker 4: See on that possession they had him third and eleven at the forty two, and that was the one. Not only did Parsons get called for off sides, Donovan Lewis got called for holding, and so they got five yards in a first down to set it up at the forty seven.
Speaker 3: Jordan Less, Jordan Less, I said, Donovan Lewis. Oh, okay, Jordan Lewis called for holding? Yep, Yeah, who's Donovan Lewis. I got a little bit of each right I was looking for Wait, wait, I got Jay Lewis there yeah, all right. So yeah, and Rondelle Moore, you get him in the open field and you're not.
Speaker 4: Catching him, and you know, you got to recognize they lined him up as a running back, right was he was in the BACKFI.
Speaker 2: Lined We start off big nickel? Right yeah? Why yeah?
Speaker 5: Why? I mean why because we knew what they were gonna try. We knew they were gonna travel on the ball. Why are we starting off big nickel?
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 4: I don't know do we always start off because in the Jets they started off with three linebackers and they had Micah on the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: They started out The reason we started out big, Okay, that's the base defense basically for the Cowboys, it's a four to two five is a is the base defense. That's not And whether you got the big, the big Nichol is having a third safety regular Nichol is having Jordan Lewis on the field, there's a slot. The difference was they had two tight ends on the field. They went twelve personnel the first two plays of the game. And so that's why Donovan Wilson was on the field and not Jordan Lewis in that case.
Speaker 2: But you would think two tight ends. Let's put in once again, like a three or third.
Speaker 4: Parsons the linebacker.
Speaker 3: You would have a event Dorance Armstrong playing defensive end. Right, the Cowboys have not been doing that for whatever reason.
Speaker 5: That's not but you would think that the approach that they had against the Jets, personnel wise, that's what they would do against the Cardinals. And I say that because we necessarily don't respect Dobbs as a quarterback. We're looking at them running the ball with Connor. We knew that's what they were going to do with them out they come out with two tight ends.
Speaker 2: So okay, they're letting us know we were right. But no, we put in big Nickel. Why, I'm sorry, you know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: The the base defense basically has Michael Parsons as a defensive end.
Speaker 12: Not a linebacker. Right, yeah, so we got line you don't have enough linebackers. You have because you should. You could find the linebackers playing.
Speaker 3: Marquise Bell is your third linebacker, right, basically, either he or basically it was not necessary. Thomas had no snaps on defense yesterday, right, he was had no snaps on defense. Marquis Bell took the place of the marve on overshown. Who is going to be your third linebacker?
Speaker 4: Okay, so let me just seems to me when you do that, that's to defend a passing quarterback or a tight end that you can't come.
Speaker 2: Am I That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: This is so you tell me who who lined up? Who did they have against the Jets linebacker wise?
Speaker 2: Well, who they have?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure it ended up being either Curse or wan Yer Thomas because they because that was Darren Waller, right, No, was that the Giants Giant Giants, and they used Wanier Thomas to take on Waller in the first game. But I can't tell you who.
Speaker 3: And I do remember that first play the game, first play of the game against the Jets, when DeMarcus Law had Lawrence had a four yard tackles they were running on that particular play they had and I don't have it written down here. I'm going off memory here. They had d Law as a stand up linebacker on the left side. They had Chauncey Goldston at left defensive end, Jonathan Hankins in the middle, and Osa at right defensive end is like a five technique, and Micah was a stand up linebacker on the right side, and he had de Mont Clark and Leyton vander Esh at linebacker. We talked about it last week. It was your traditional Bill Parcells three four defensive look.
Speaker 8: Talk about that.
Speaker 5: Why not that?
Speaker 3: That's my and that's specifically why last night, late after I got off work, I went home to find to figure out what were they did they run that to start the game and they did.
Speaker 2: Not and so but but Phoenix, sorry, Arizona came out with twelve personnel.
Speaker 5: Okay, that was like, Okay, they're letting you know, this is what we need to do. We need to repeat what we did against the Jets.
Speaker 4: Zach Ertz has a nice name, but he ain't the Ertz from before.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 4: I don't think you had to worry about the tight end beating you right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I understand.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with more connection with frustration.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte. What a pairing can Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swack Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest school.
Speaker 6: Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, miliber own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: As they snappered, the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there, pasc You'll love.
Speaker 1: Full perns down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Press Scott's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 4: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 6: To mixed shots.
Speaker 8: Dallas Cowboys Game Time powered by Lenovo, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to a twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game. Qualifiers begin on October sixth and run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallas Cowboys Game time dot Com. So last night, I know we had a lot of negatives, but I was looking at one of the positives.
Speaker 4: All right, let's have it.
Speaker 8: Brandon Aubrey was three for three last night. Yes he will, Well, good news there. I mean he honestly it was his first you know, he's the first rookie kicker to make ten career field goals ten for ten that.
Speaker 4: Start the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: So that's good news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very good news.
Speaker 4: All right, good news, optimist. What are we going to do for the next thirteen.
Speaker 3: I like Hunter Lipke, you know what?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about giving him the ball and the goal line?
Speaker 3: Now, you know we were asked that question last week. I just kind of dismissed it that, Oh, I amn't saying that whatever. I'm as soon as I saw him carry the ball.
Speaker 2: The game, I said, I'm good with that. He was leaning forward to and he's got.
Speaker 3: A lot of experience carrying the football.
Speaker 4: His one run, it was was it third and two or he went for eight yards?
Speaker 3: I don't know who it was. At first said that I think this guy ought to make the team.
Speaker 4: Man, that guy. Okay, there's your positive. You know what, when he's in there, he blocks well ye know.
Speaker 3: I mean you can see uh. And sometimes they set him up sort of in a tight end, roll on the wing and then he and I can see his versatility. Now, he doesn't have the length that you want to see in a tight end necessarily, but his versatility offsets that where you can they Sean McEwan rolled from last year, Lipke gives you more there.
Speaker 8: So question Darryl and Corpus Christy wants to know why no Turpin? Why Noduce last night?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I thought of it.
Speaker 3: Deuce played no snaps on offense, one snap on special team.
Speaker 4: And Turpin only got a couple. I think I put it in here. Let's look, so why Mickey, I'm thinking they were just scared of that offensive line to do anything because at one point anything gadgety, Yeah, I said. At one point, I said they were getting close inside the twenty and I basically said out loud to Nick Harris, I said, they need a gadget play right now. And they tried the end around two CD.
Speaker 3: And it didn't work.
Speaker 5: But gadget players don't work when you have inexperienced offensive linemen, right because they're the ones that always screw up the blocking and because first of all, they're having a hard enough time just going ABC blocking. Now all of a sudden you're throwing some tricky stuff and it always leads to a disaster. I don't think I would have played them as much either, because the pace of the game wasn't in our favor. You play guys like Deuce and Turpin when you've got the game under control offensively, we will know where closer to that, We will know where close to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's what happened. I think they had to when they saw on set, probably on the plane flight to Arizona, they're changing their offensive game when they knew those two guys weren't.
Speaker 2: Going because that's how we got in trouble last year. We tried trick stuff.
Speaker 5: He misses this all of a sudden, like oh crap, he's right in my face, and then we got a fumble or turnover, an interception or something, which is.
Speaker 3: Why there was more ephasis on running the football right because they.
Speaker 2: Just keep them going forward, keep them going.
Speaker 3: So ray o'dowdell was another positive from yesterday.
Speaker 5: The only thing I saw yesterday I was disappointed in Dak in regards to he's very passive on the on the RPO.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of times he's given the ball to Pilot. They all went with Pollot.
Speaker 4: He was I'm sorry, he actually said, he actually said after the game about the red zone or gold to gold albums. He goes, he said, I got to be better, and I probably need to use my feet.
Speaker 2: He's got to Two times it was wide open.
Speaker 5: If not for a touchdown, it could have been for a first down, right, and you put yourself in position now because you gave part of the ball. They were on it and it was a two to three yeard loss. So at least mitigate some of the losses by just using your feet a little bit. It may not be a touchdown, but you won't be sitting at third and six as opposed to you know, thirty and one.
Speaker 3: You know, even on the past to gallop in the end zone, he was a little slow, and he admitted afterwards he needed get it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was so wide open. What was yeah?
Speaker 3: And it was what was so interesting too, was after that, Okay, there were five about five twenty left in the game at that point when they picked up the flag and then five straight rushing place right, and then the last play of the interception, and so over two minutes of the clock comes off during those five rushing plays.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure a couple of those were r pos. Well, he probably could have kept the ball and done better with it.
Speaker 4: So did you have a problem with him going for it on fourth down and they got stopped instead of kick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that they needed to kick the field goal there in my opinion, See, I thought, because it's just the the math on Okay, now you were you're down eight, you get it down to five, right, and then and with the time left, you know, and I know the coach is looking at it that okay, how many more possessions are we and a half and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And at that time they had made some defensive adjustments.
Speaker 3: It turned out they had enough time. Or if they had kicked the field goal. I mean, let's say, now the game wouldn't play out, maybe the same way because the field position is different, whatever, But let's say from a timing standpoint, they can't they if they had kicked the field goal and they'd gotten the ball back in the same timely fashion, they got down and they kicked another field goal. Now you're down two points rather than five points. At twenty one sixty you had been twenty one to nineteen, and now a field goal wins the game when you get the ball back.
Speaker 4: The next time was that at the end of the if you have.
Speaker 5: If you have your starters in, if you have your starters in, that's a good idea. So good, that's a good shock, I think. But you're gonna have your starters in on the old line.
Speaker 4: This is this is what happens.
Speaker 3: That's why I didn't I didn't have a confidence in scoring touchdowns.
Speaker 4: He Uh, he had in his mind. I think when it was third and goal at the three that this is two down, two more downs. I'm going four downs here. And then they got the hold on a doga.
Speaker 2: And so it it bended up.
Speaker 4: Going third and goal at the thirteen and then they they got nine yards, so they were almost back to the same situation because on third and goal at the three. Uh did he throw the ball on that one?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 4: Oh, that was the one he dropped the snap. Remember he dropped the snap and then they row that plate and.
Speaker 3: See that was that was with three minutes left in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: It was early fourth and four, fourth and four.
Speaker 3: The incompleation was with two fifty seven left in the third quarter.
Speaker 4: But in his mind he heard me saying, the more field goals you kicked, the closer.
Speaker 2: Your who says that all the time gets on my fucking there.
Speaker 4: Me And it's right too.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 3: Now, now, there was a game last night apparently where you or yesterday afternoon. I guess it was the Chargers. It No, it wasn't the Chargers. It was the Raiders and Josh McDaniel had a fourth down. They were down eight, and he decided late in the game and he decided to kick a field goal to get within five rather than going forward on fourth and that.
Speaker 4: They started, yeah winning right, No, they lost.
Speaker 3: They kicked the field goal, got five, and I did not see it myself. I'm hearing people on the radio talk about it today and he's getting roundly criticized, and it sounds like rightly so for uh not being more aggressive, Yeah, for kicking the field goal, just from a math standpoint, right, you know. And what he said after the game was, well, regardless, we had to get We're going to have to get the ball again. No, regardless, if you if you score a touchdown, get a two point conversion, you've tied the game. And even if you don't get the ball again, if you hold the team from scoring, you're going to overtime. You don't have to, you know how.
Speaker 2: You have some teams they want to just get they think they need two scores. Yeah, they said, let's just.
Speaker 3: Get the thinking about winning the game rather than yeah, forcing overtime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, anyway, Cowboys would have loved overtime. And I can't remember. I think Dak said it. Dak, Dak said it. He said if we had if we was it him or McCarthy, one of the two said it, if we had scored touchdowns instead of kicking field goals, we'd still be playing right now, Meaning you gotta score touchdowns. And I know the offensive line, I get it, But you.
Speaker 3: Were so close, so you were good with him going for on fourth.
Speaker 4: I just thought he was going to do it. I thought he was going to do it on Would you have done it? Yes, okay, yes, I'm tired of score philosophy.
Speaker 3: You can't kick field.
Speaker 5: Well, he said it's going to be week five, so then he say week five to well, we have our red zone together, they into that on TV. You it won't be until we five to where red zone is gonna be where it needs to be.
Speaker 4: You get beat twenty eight nineteen, big deal twin Oh yeah if you kicked that field goal because they gave up a sixty nine yard pass after they were down by five points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, that does it for this.
Speaker 2: Awful edition.
Speaker 4: No, it was a very good addition.
Speaker 3: Awful accomplished. Like we accomplished.
Speaker 4: We got the reason why they lost.
Speaker 2: We got it off. We got it off. I got off my chest, all right.
Speaker 3: And the twenty four hour rule is up here in just a few.
Speaker 4: And if you want to text eight one seven two nine oh three two nine eight tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Okay, And for the next show, which is Hanging with the Boys coming up shortly here on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: No Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby