Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown. Ambition ambition, ambition, ambition, ambition.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, we are a different kind of brown on brown and bishing today. Mandra unfortunately is not feeling well, but we wish her well, you know, with the new.
Speaker 1: Baby and things.
Speaker 2: But instead we have my very good, awesome, amazing friend and I'll go for his buyer leader, Jason Vita and welcome.
Speaker 3: Jason, Tiffany. Thank you so much. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: So Jason is also a Jersey in like myself and Jason. How have we been friends?
Speaker 3: Close to ten years?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ten years?
Speaker 3: Ten years?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, so we've been in this game for years. It's made me. I don't even know this is the hip hop song. But anyway, but.
Speaker 2: Jason and I have been friends for a long time. I met him because he too, is a financial educator. Jason honestly is one of the inspirations for my recent slow down. And you'll hear why, like how awesome he is. But I don't want to just be like Jason's my friend. He's more than that, He's none. Jason is a wellness advocate and best selling New York Times reviewed author of two books right. He is the founder of Frugal phrga L and is an award winning creator of the Road to Financial Wellness product project. Jason is also a certified Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Expert. He holds the Psychology of Financial Planning certification and is also a certified yoga instructor and breathwork specialist.
Speaker 1: We gonna get him to do a breath exercise with us, y'all.
Speaker 2: Jason focuses on a holistic approach where money isn't the goal, money is the tool to help achieve the goals. He's also been featured on the ted Nex Stage, y'all, co Finance Form, Business Insider, and we already say New York Times to name a few. All in all, Jason is incredible and he has a new book called Happy Money, Happy Life, which is like literally Jason in a book. You know. So one of the things Jason that I admire about you, that I admired and still admire about you, is that a long time ago, so Jason used to be on the grind like me. You know, we were all working really hard. This is like, you know, like ten eight years ago. Personal finance in the way that it is now was just coming to.
Speaker 1: Be a thing. You know.
Speaker 2: It was like people like me and Jason and Sandy and also other people, we were kind of like, you know, starting this kind of personal finance journey and brand and bringing y'all in. But while most of us kept grinding until we have we were nothing but little nubs. I noticed about halfway through that Jason didn't seem to be grinding yet he was still making you know, good money.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: I saw that he was posting pictures of his walks. I remember when Jason, you became a certified yoga instructor, you would be posting your yoga like you know, you would like during pandemic. You were doing yoga so people can do it along with you. I just remember being like, what is going on with Jason, because I know you still have frugal I know you're still a financial educator, but then there's this other part of you, the zen chill, like I'm not doing all that part of you.
Speaker 1: Like what happened?
Speaker 3: It's fascinating, right because I think when I disappeared out of the personal finance space and I was honing into the wellness space a bit more so, everyone was wondering what happened to my business or did I just go totally broke? And I was like, no, I need to focus on my physical, mental, and spiritual health. And I built a business that was running like with itself, so I just didn't need to participate as much as I needed to. And what really happened was I think you put it in there like we're in the grind, we're in the hustle, and I am a big believer that gears that grind for too long get worn out and then thrown out.
Speaker 1: Oh say that again. I put the people on to bed, Jason, say it.
Speaker 3: Again, Gears that grind for too long get worn out and then thrown out. I certainly didn't want to be thrown out. And so I know this is something that I believe in. Like the work that we do, this is purposeful work for me, but it's also grueling. I mean, there's a lot of demands, so there's a lot of things that we have to do to get the things going. And so especially when we are driven with our own personal ambition and we're driven with passion and purpose, we can get worn out doing those things. And I felt myself getting worn out and when we get worn out, we start making all these decisions, ill decisions, and then all of a sudden, it's just like it's a compounding effect that it's going to affect our mental health, our emotion well being, and then I'm going to start feeling tired and lethargic. And so that's exactly what happened. I mean, I became a bestseller, became the sought after speaker, going all around the country, and it was great, but all of a sudden, I just started feeling like I was being pulled away from the work I wanted to do to just appear. And the one thing that really hit home was when someone said to me, I was chasing influence over affluence and influences this, Oh, you got to be like on stage every single time, I have to be on social media every single time, versus like really working on affluence, and affluence isn't just the financial wealth. It's about how my feeling like in other parts of my life. And so I know this that there were areas of my life I needed to work on. And yeah, like I think, just like you, we're like we're grinding away and then other things in our lives start happening, and so I needed to listen and take a step back.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: And so when all this stuff's happened, I took a step back and go, I need to reassess, readjust and revaluate where I'm walking.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: And you really, you started to make those changes long before it became like now people are like, I don't want to overwork, But you made them when it was really scary to make those changes because no one was doing that.
Speaker 1: Back then.
Speaker 2: It was like, uh, the money is getting good, what do you do with Jason sitting down a little bit? So one of the things, you know, one of the reasons why I wanted Jason to come on is because in his book, his new book, Happy Money, Happy Life, which is available at Happy Money, Happy Life book dot com.
Speaker 1: Don't you like that?
Speaker 2: I told Jason, like, go get that domain, Happy Money, Happy lifebook dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's the name of his book.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that really blew me away about your book is this.
Speaker 1: It is a multiple multiple what is it? Multi dimensional approach? Right?
Speaker 2: And I had never really heard of that before. I mean, you know, like in passing. But I didn't realize that there were these eight dimensions that you know, really help really compose what full wellness and holistic wellness? Can you like tell us what these dimensional, multi dimensional approaches are and how does money play a role in this?
Speaker 1: In that and in your book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's interesting, right because I thought that came up with this brilliant idea that there are eight dimensions of wellness. And so I remember in twenty sixteen going, Okay, everything is connected. So it's not just financial, it's not just professional, there's mental and emotional. Everything's connected. And then eventually I started doing the research and finding all these studies. For decades, people have talked about the multidimensionality of human beings, and so for me, I chose the eight wellness dimensions because I think that encompasses who we are, and they are mental, emotional, physical, spiritual, social, environmental, occupational, and financial. Those are the eight dimensions that make you you. We are multi faceted, multi dimensional, multi layered individuals. And the reason why when things seem to be working out in one area of our life and we don't feel happy or we don't feel well, chances are there is a dimension that needs your attention. And so for me in this book, what I do is I talk about these dimensions through the lens of money. I show how money weaves itself through these dimensions and how it impacts us positively or negatively. And most of the time too, it could be our own decision making when it comes to money, and also the external factors that we have no control over the economy, the job market, and other decisions around us. And so what I want people to understand when we are focused so much, and this is what happened to me. I was so focused for period of my life on professional success, that is occupational health, which I call happy work. What we do, we take our identity and we base it solely on salary and the title we hold at this job, and so all these achievements. Well, if we solely focus on occupational health and we excel to the detriment of our mental and physical health, well guess what happens. It's going to affect our finances, It's going to affect every other aspects of our well being. And so for this instance, when I was at a point when I was like grinding away, climbing up the corporate ladder, and it became VP of Marketing and Business Development for this financial institution. While I was suffering mentally, I was emotionally drained, and that psychological distress was manifesting itself physically. So I was getting sick. I developed vertigo, I had like pink eye or red eyes for two weeks. My eyes were bleeding for two weeks, and I couldn't get out of bed. And then when I couldn't get out of bed, I felt useless and it started affecting my social well being because I didn't want to hang out with friends or family. And then I felt this void in my life because something that I was passionate about at that time, climbing up the career ladder, was affected me spiritually. And so for me, I want people to understand, like these dimensions are interconnected, they're overlapping, and so once you understand these eight dimensions and how they there's there intersectionality of them, it is a powerful life changing way of looking at yourself.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Jayson, I was just telling her friend of mine, like literally, I was like super excited. I was telling her a friend of mine, about your book, and I was telling him that like, yo, I you know you kind of you understand that obviously there are components to your life, but I could never understand why to your point, when I was making the most amount of money I've ever made, I was so miserable.
Speaker 1: My blood pressure had spiked. It was like, and now I have to honestly.
Speaker 2: Say, you know that despite all that's happened, you know, I am in a space of grief, grace and gratitude, you know, and I'm actually happy. And I'm like how And I was literally I pulled up the eight dimensions and I said, oh, I'm happy because every aspect of these dimensions I am present in. You know, because before I wasn't hanging out that it was just BUDGETIESA. There was no Tiffany, so the social out the window. I had gained thirty pounds, my blood pressure had spiked, so physical was not being looked after financial. I mean, I was good as far as money, but that was about it. Every other part.
Speaker 1: Of my life was out of alignment.
Speaker 2: And so I thought like, well, I thought, if I work really hard and I'm making really good money and I'm helping people, that it should be enough. It wasn't because I was not looking at myself holistically and so that's why I love because you know, one of the things, that's one of the things I love about you as a person, but also the fact that you wrote this book to talk about that. You know, we talk about money, but I always say it's really not money. You know that I want people to use money to live. Well, now, how do you do that? And I feel like with Happy Money, Happy Life, you know, that's what you that's what you talk about, like how do you use your money as a tool.
Speaker 1: You know, not the goal itself. So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: So we're actually going to jump to a quick break because you know, we all we get to chalkin, right. So we've got Jason vitug A frugal but this new book, Happy Money, Happy Life will be right back black and Brown. And we're back in Black and Brown, super excited. We have Jason in the studio and this too with us talking about multidimensionality or talking about happy Money, Happy Life, his new book. So, Jason, while we're back, you did something with my dream catches the other day that was amazing.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to put you on the spot.
Speaker 2: You did just a really quick breathing activity and I'd like for you to just walk us through this like two or three minute breathing activity, even if you're driving, you have the kids or whatever. If you can't do it now, that's okay. Look at the time stamp of this activity on the video or the audio that you're watching so you can come back to it. And I want Jason to lead us through because when I tell you, it chilled me, y'all know I'm hyper.
Speaker 1: It chilled me all the way out. So Jason, the floor is yours. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So I want to preface this because I think it's important for people to understand why I am a breathwork specialist and why this is part of my daily routine, because there are just so many things happening in this world. There's so many things that cause us stress in our lives, and so it's not just financial. And so for me, discovering breath work was a life changing kind of for and what I've been doing is incorporating it in these talks becuse it it's such a powerful way for us to address our nervous system, because our nervous system is like it's all hyped up. And so what I do want to say is that when you get an opportunity go back to this timestamp. And so you could do this in a safe space, because when we're working with breath, it will change how you feel in your body. And so if you're in a safe space right now, I want you to gently kind of lift up your body, feel that energy flowing from from your core all the way up to your head, nice and tall back, Relax your shoulders, allow your chin to drop gently towards your chest. You can close your eyes if you want to, if you feel comfortable, and just be present in this moment. And I want you to start noticing where your breath and your body through the nose, perhaps through your mouth, and feeling that sensation of air through your nostrils through your body and filling up your lungs and just being present with that force. Now as you get in touch and feel this pull of gravity in any parts of your body that's touching the floor, we're gonna work with manipulating your breath. We're gonna go and take a nice deep in hell through your nose, filling your lungs up with air and releasing through your mouth with a sigh. Let's do that in hell through your nose, filling your lungs up with air and releasing through your mouth with a sigh, and allow yourself to do this a few more times. And the power of this is that we hold so much tension around our jawline, around our mouth, so you're probably noticing there's that tension there. And by simply breathing in through our nose and intentionally and mindfully exhaling through our mouth with that sigh, we're allowing our body to remain still, to be present, to relax. And let's take one more deep inhale through the nose, and I want you to hold it at the top for three seconds one, two, three, and then release two allow yourself And now as you get in and are in your body, I want you to start gently wiggling your fingers, wingling your toes, allow yourself to come back into the room, and welcome back into this three D physical world.
Speaker 2: That was so amazing, Jason, Honestly, it just it just this is one of the things that like I appreciate most about you, that this is what you bring to the financial space in a special way that I don't know that there's anybody you know, no one on that I know no one that I followed, no one that I've read up about that approaches personal finance from this space. You know, this fully grounded, this fully like you know, just breath work and personal finance. It just doesn't seem like it matches, but it does. Imagine doing a breathwork exercise before you sit down and budget with your partner, you know, Imagine doing yoga moves every Saturday, and you know, before you do your budget for the week. You know, Like, I just love that, Like this is the space, This is the unique beauty that you bring to this, this personal finance space. And I just you know, I hope you all, you know you're listening, if you got a chance to do a little bit that's short, a little bit of breath work that you know you're feeling as calm as I am, that you can tell my voices totally changed. I'm like, yeah, I'm so chilly, you know, but like, but I know it hasn't always been easy, you know for you, Jason, and I think it'd be good for people to hear. I know you shared a little bit of like how you got here, you know, but you know, just maybe diving deeper into how you got here and why did you write this book so we can go on the journey with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you for that. I want people to understand that we all have personal journeys, and our journey isn't this straight linear upward trajectory, and it isn't just a downward trend either. And for me, I've had ups and downs, twists and turns. I thought I had it all figured out. Well, I thought I had it all figured out when I quit my corporate job and went backpacking around the world discovering my purpose. And discovering my purpose wasn't the end to my story. When I started frugal and I started on this mission becoming me financial educator and incorporating health and wealth, that wasn't really the case because I got pulled into the entrepreneurial hustle. So when I was hustling in corporate America and then I was hustling in the entrepreneurial world, I was experiencing the same burnout. I was experiencing the same issues. The physical manifestations of all the mental gymnastics that I was doing was causing me a great deal of distress and now affecting me professionally in the work that I absolutely loved doing and then impacting my finances. And so there was a point in my life, tiffany where, just like you, I reached this level of financial success and I'm like, I'm at the top of my game. I'm getting paid tens of thousands of dollars to speak for one hour, and coming from a city like Elizabeth, New Jersey, the fourth largest city, growing up where we lived in seventeen different houses, where we didn't talk about money. I didn't have luxury goods, we didn't go on fancy vacations, and like growing up with just the essentials and not knowing about the how the other half lives did impact me. And so when I achieved these financial success and I thought that's how, that's what's going to make me happy. And when I achieve that level of professional and financial success, there were still all these other things I needed to work on. And so for me, just getting the becoming mentally drained, emotionally exhausted, physically ill just affected my professional and financial success. So I started making bad financial decisions and I was actually really ashamed of that. And that has a lot to do with like, Okay, well you are a money expert. How could you make financial mistakes as a money expert? And I was making those mistakes at the height of my quote unquote financial influence. And for me, it's realized saying that this is a journey of ups and downs and twists and turns, and I have the opportunity, as long as there's air in my lungs, as long as I am motivated to get up and do the work, that I can have a different path. I can take a different path, I can choose, I make different choices, And so for me, I've no longer have the shame, the guilt, the embarrassment of my financial mistakes. And I certainly know that as I continue on this journey, I'll probably make a few more financial mistakes. But the message I want people to understand is that money is just one aspect of who we are, and if we can remove the small little stresses of our financial life, we can then focus on other aspects of our well being.
Speaker 1: And so for that.
Speaker 3: Little short thing is I just want people to know I still don't have it all figured out, but getting my money right, understanding where work takes presidents in my well being and everything else, like I'm working towards that holistic wellness that I want everyone else to be on in this journey.
Speaker 2: If you follow him Jason Vita j A. S O n v I Tug fanatic, Okay, you'll see like you'll get to You're not just gonna get money stuff, You're gonna get him. I just saw you were walking your dog in the park for your daily walk.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: One of the things I like. So there's like chapter I think it's like chapter five to ten. Can you read some of the chapter titles? I love that, Like how you weave did It's like happy soul happy?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I want people to understand, like there is these wellness dimensions and I call them happy dimensions. How we can incorporate the happy dimensions into our life. So mental health is happy mind, Emotional health is happy heart, physical health is happy body. And then you have your spiritual that's happy spirit. Your social wellbeing, right, the people that's around you, that's happy social, Occupational, that's your work, it's happy work. Environmental, the physical places you inhabit and live that does effect that does affect your well being, that's happy space. And your financial health that's happy money and so love that. Yeah, I just think it's just a way, like think about your wellness as these in these happy dimensions, and we need to figure out how we can again utilize money as a tool to help us in these things. And when you mentioned like we talk about money is a tool, and I like people to think of money as a tool to create fill in the blank. So what do you want money to create in your life? Because a lot of these financial gurus, what do they talk about? They talk about specific financial milestones. They talk about how much you need on your four one K, your investments, your savings accounts. Those things are important because it's going to help you improve your financial health, your happy money. Now you have to understand, once you get to that point, or you're working towards achieving those investments numbers or those financial numbers, don't forget your happy mind, your happy heart, your happy body, your happy spirit. You could work towards happy money while you're working towards lifting or strengthening those other dimensions.
Speaker 1: I love that, honestly. Yeah, we have Jason V.
Speaker 2: Tug here, you know, Happy Money, Happy Life available at Happy Money, happylifebook dot com.
Speaker 1: Get you a copy, Okay, any last words, Jason.
Speaker 2: You know, like if someone wanted to start, if someone's like, I don't want to just look at my money, what's something that I can besides picking up your book? You know what's something that I can do today to start to incorporate a more holistic approach to my money.
Speaker 3: Well aside from the financial tactics that we talk about and you do so well with Get Good with Money. Get that copy of the book, because that is a holistic way to get your financial wholeness going. The first step I would recommend is just paying attention to your breath. We did breath work. So the one key thing that when I meet someone, I know how they are doing based on how they're breathing. They have short, quick breaths coming out of their mouth. I know that they're going through something, and so the way I interact with them will be a bit different. I will give them space and grace that they need. And if I see someone who has calm and collected yes, then I know that we could have a different type of conversation. So they want you to do is become aware of how you're breathing. Are you breathing through your nose or are you're breathing through your mouth, is your jaw clenched? Do you feel like you're not getting enough air and you're gasping? And the reason why I want you to pay attention to that is because your physical body is sharing something about your mental and emotional state through breathing. And if you are unable to fully breathe be in your body, it is really hard to budget. It is really hard to have that conversation with your partner, it's really hard to get on the phone and and try to negotiate your service contracts and things like that.
Speaker 1: So that is the first step.
Speaker 3: And I think that is such an eye opening thing when you go and you may not notice it for yourself, but the next time you speak with someone and you see that they're holding their breath, that they're breathing through their mouths, it's say, that's kind of one of the key things. And so I'm known now to go it's like, hey, how are you doing? And then it's and then they'll open up. And that just has to do with paying attention to the breath. And I think I want everyone to be at home just just be cognizance. I'm planting this little seed in your mind, be cognizant of how you're breathing, and learn more about these breath work techniques. And I actually have thirty different We did one, we did two now with the dream Catchers and Hear Brand Ambition, but there are more than thirty.
Speaker 1: But there are thirty.
Speaker 3: Breath work techniques that can help you get energized and also that calm down and help you sleep. And so breath is such a powerful force when it comes to healing our mental emotional state as well as healing our money traumas.
Speaker 1: Jason, honestly, it's just so amazing, isn't he amazing? Guys?
Speaker 2: Honestly, this is Can I make a suggestion for you, Jason, so you know when people go to Happy Money, Happy Life, you know, I know right now it's pointing to like Amazon or whatever, but I know you have a book page. Can I suggest that you post maybe three to four of those breath work activities on the book page, like you know, via like a YouTube link, just so when people come they know what tom Ity is.
Speaker 1: And I just love that.
Speaker 2: I think paying attention to your breath that just speaks to who Jason is and how he shows up, Like you know, that it's not this direct financial thing, it's this indirect thing that will enable you to be more successful with your money and beyond. So just Jason, thank you so so so so much. Where can the people find you? Where can they get your book?
Speaker 1: Let us know? Well?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Well you inspired me, Tiffany. I just I do want to say that you inspired me because a lot of previous conversations in terms of how do I get more people to understand the book really helped me out. I also spoke with my brother John, who is a doctoral candidate for a psychology degree, and he said, and you said, I need to be more present in terms of like, let me just show how this is done. And so I decided to do wellness Wednesdays. I'm going to do a ten to fifteen minute show live streaming on all the platforms because you've you've educated me on how to do that, and I want people to understand that we can talk about stress, job related or financial stress or whatever stress, but then using these tactical breath work techniques and also chair yoga. People don't know I do chaer yoga, so you could do yoga while you're sitting at your desk, so you get your body moving and it changes and shifts your mind. So with that said, I do encourage you to follow me on social medium active on Instagram if you love travel and in yoga poses as I as I tell you when we do asanas, you breathe in wealth, breathe out debt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and say it with me.
Speaker 3: Everyone breathe in well, breathe out debt.
Speaker 1: And so it's just it's.
Speaker 3: Just how incorporate things. So follow me on Instagram and Twitter, and connect with me on LinkedIn, and you could certainly find more info about the book at Happy Money, Happy lifebook dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so it's Jason Vitel and all those places, right, Jason, Yes v t ug. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Jason.
Speaker 2: You're always such a gift. It's a privilege and a pleasure to have you on, but even more so to call you friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Hey, ba fan, we could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru and I am Bandy Woodrid Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.