Speaker 1: Hey, mich Shelbyte, are you an outdoors kind of person?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: Are you serious? Bitch? Look at my body. It's a timp repedic mattress. Okay, this is like a This is like a breeding ground for every type of tick and bug. I don't go camping. My husband's like, can we eat outdoors in the garden patio. I'm like, do you see those fucking spiders your ball, bitch? This is like a fucking bedroom for them. So no, I haven't been camping. Sorry, I'm so aggressive. Okay, I have a lot of feelings about it.
Speaker 1: Question asked, question answered.
Speaker 3: Ow, Hey everybody, I'm a Cheve Bottel.
Speaker 4: And I'm Jordan Carlos and welcome to Adulting from w NYC Studios, the podcast where we learn how to be grown as adults together.
Speaker 3: We recorded this episode at Union Hall with some really amazing people like Nori Davis.
Speaker 1: I love that guy. Sarah Shaeffer, she's amazing, Pride.
Speaker 3: Of Virginia, Pride of Virginia. She's so smart, so funny, so talented. Do you guys have really great glasses?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's true.
Speaker 4: For respectacled Wonders and Ben Sinclair, the man who was there I love this.
Speaker 3: You know, was so funny. He is not high maintenance at all.
Speaker 1: No, he's not the lowest.
Speaker 3: He's the lowest mats of it all. He's just like a panty dropping beard of.
Speaker 1: Loveliness.
Speaker 4: Well, birds fly out of it, and who knows what else Unicorn honey, I mean, it's it's no joke. You should not micro does son Vincent Clair, he is the best.
Speaker 3: Yes, get you fill right now. Listen to the episode. Now, makes some mother fucking noise. Okay, welcome to adulting on the show. If you tell us to Jordan Carlos, thank you for coming to our show. Have you been here before? Make some noise. It's so dark, makes some noise if you haven't been here, even better. So we put the show together like a few months ago because we were just like sitting around talking about adulting and all the ship we had to do in life. I mean, he takes care of kids. He's not an he has kids. I do have kids, you know, like I'm paying taxes. I got titties and two dogs. I got responsibilities to.
Speaker 4: What you said, what you said, Yeah, I actually I do. I have major responsibilities. And I did chase my son not in these pants, but some ripped jeans yesterday at Brooklyn Bowl and I did you know this about bowling alleys?
Speaker 1: They lube them and my son no, I did not know.
Speaker 4: My son ran towards the pins, and uh, why did you let him do that?
Speaker 1: Well he's one and a half.
Speaker 4: He's one and a half, and he's like fuck it, no consequences, and he just ran towards the pins. And I was like like and slipped, hit my head, hit my wrist, hit.
Speaker 1: My back, and people were like uk.
Speaker 4: I was like great, you know, like I literally slide tackled my child and.
Speaker 3: Were you just like a Jim Carrey movie yesterday?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: I wish I was there. I love going to the Brooklyn Bowl like high and just like looking at parents chasing their kids and they have great fried chicken too, and it's like like the bullet bowling bulls are gross. It's like you're fingering someone else's fucking meal, isn't He's out of town, yeah, Kays, he's Dutch, so he's in Holland right now with his friends and family, enjoying his birthday. But I, you know, I realized like how much I miss him, just because like going to bed. I'm like, you know, used to like having you know, I like to be big spoon. I'm like, what ne and the pillow works? And I'm also like, who's going to kill the spiders? Like he's like, that's the only reason why I'm married. I need someone to kill the spiders. So many spiders. And today I found a dead mouse in my kitchen.
Speaker 1: I killed a mouse once.
Speaker 3: How you doing it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: So anyway, what you don't think I could kill?
Speaker 1: I could kill.
Speaker 4: I'm a killer. And so there's I don't know why. In my apartment, I had this old like I had an old phone book, right, and uh there was a and so thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh, I like it.
Speaker 4: I'm mianto vintage and so so below my TV there was like the credenza, right, and then you got the console whatever you call it. And so the I could see the console went flush to the floor. Don't laugh at my vocabulary. The console went flush.
Speaker 6: But it's like it was, yeah, it was a fundon't want console very hard but to go it was no, I don't have the money for that.
Speaker 1: But so it went right to the to the floor.
Speaker 4: And then and then this I saw this like mouse poke its head out, and then it got like it was like in the perfect position that I could just I kicked the phone books calm down, and the phone book was like it was trapped right in this kind of triangular kind of thing between the wall, the console and the phone book. And I stayed there for an hour and I called my dad and I was like, Dad, I have this mouse trapped. And he's like, you know, you have to consider what you want to do with that, you know, like he's like, do you want to kill it or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, I think I think.
Speaker 4: He's like, do you think if it came into your home and it had the power to do, you know, to kill you, do you think it was I was like, yeah, I think so. And he's like the notebook, what's happening a close relationship with my father?
Speaker 3: Okay, oh my god, that's too much.
Speaker 4: So I I just I went over there and I kicked the phone book and I kicked it against the wall like until the voice is stopped, and.
Speaker 1: Then I and I and it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm I'm I have that killer instinct in me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: If I call my dad and uh and get repped up.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, but it was the most gangster, uniclow motherfucker I've ever met.
Speaker 1: I think, thank you, I appreciate that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that poor mouse. Wow, you really got your rage out.
Speaker 1: Huh. Oh god.
Speaker 3: I think there's also part of adulting too. It's like being an adult but understanding when you need help. Yes, you know what I mean, Like I don't. I don't financially, I don't need help. But my mom loves to pay for my cell phone bill.
Speaker 1: We've been over this. Really, what did you?
Speaker 3: Three people just cocked that head sideways?
Speaker 1: Excuse me. This lady has her arms cross. It's a nice man.
Speaker 4: She is giving you the stank eye, Like how many people in the room are still sponsored on their cell phone bill?
Speaker 1: It's okay, you can it's dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: My people make it.
Speaker 3: Yes we are. We're gonna make it after all. No, my mom know what's happening.
Speaker 4: You need to grow the funk up and stop leaching your parents.
Speaker 3: I'm not leaching. I send her. I'm not. She She thinks she wants to help. She knows that I'm very independent, and she wants to like it makes her feel like we're closer the family plan.
Speaker 1: That's the family plan.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't play it.
Speaker 4: The rest of you to get like me and and get off your parents' plans. Who has help with rent? See so quiet? That's what adulting is all about. We we like we we basically yeah, we make the buttholes pucker.
Speaker 7: Are you ready to start?
Speaker 1: There? Shall we? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: A writ again? You're ready for the guest, Ready for the guests, Ready for the guest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I shouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Our first guy's coming out. I've done him since I started comedy. He's so sweet, he's so kind. He just did some stand up on Cone and O'Brien. He's got a great sense of style and his elbows are not actually please baby good, very cut. We got a baby, yeah and the cut?
Speaker 4: Congratulations Now having you're specialist on Amazon correct?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys are doping on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 5: That you guys are and uh yeah, if you don't have Prime, just steal somebody in your family past.
Speaker 4: Word probably your parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm about that leash in life. I'm with that ship. Hell yeah, you need help, man, I still do laundry at my mom's house.
Speaker 9: I refuse to pay for laundry. One stuff, I do my laundry. I see that's true. Yes, I got it.
Speaker 1: I got I say hi, Hey, how you doing mom? You alright? Yeah, I got to put the clothes in the wait.
Speaker 3: Does your mom fold your laundry?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, I'm just mean she she does what she does. But I do you do my laundry just at her house? All I know is that Ken Moore better not break down. You'll never see Nori again.
Speaker 3: So many questions. All right, can you describe your childhood in sixty seconds?
Speaker 1: My childhood sixty seconds or less?
Speaker 10: Playing basketball? And then did you playing in the hood? And then my mother coming and looking for me? Were you like that kid in that movie Dope? She's like, don't do drugs? Take this way home from school?
Speaker 5: No, she was just like stay inside and I was like, no, I want to go outside.
Speaker 1: She's like very like overbearing.
Speaker 3: Did you grow up in an apartment, a condo, house, a house.
Speaker 5: Groping house across the tracks so like the projects were like across the tracks.
Speaker 1: I was on the other side of the tracks.
Speaker 5: Where like everybody in the hood grandparents lived at It's like every like grandparents had like a house, but like the mother, the father, they couldn't afford so they had like in the lived in the projects and uh you know like yeah with crack babies and shit, like I grew up with them, like they were all the.
Speaker 1: Bullies and the crack babies with the bullies. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this kid, this kid Pep, he was he was my bully man.
Speaker 1: He terrorized us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think bullying on the whole. I feel like speaking keeping it in the adulting umbrella. Shit, but that ship like makes forces you to grow up?
Speaker 4: And what did this this miscreant due to you? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I can't.
Speaker 5: One time they pulled my pants down front of everybody and that and by that time I was like what three two.
Speaker 1: Or some ship.
Speaker 3: So your dick wasn't even big, it wasn't and it was cold, and you know, I'm doing funny and they just have like seven kids and they suck.
Speaker 5: So I'm like so much resentment showment.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm into it. I'm into it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for thanks for coming, man, of course, thank you for having me. I always loved talking about adulting.
Speaker 4: Speaking of adulting, you have a big life moment, Yes, a huge milestone.
Speaker 5: Yes, you got he's getting just kidding. No, yeah, I'm engaged. Got engaged.
Speaker 4: A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did you know she was a she was.
Speaker 3: The person for you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I knew she was the person for me for like, you know, we get into a horrible fight, break out and then like when you when you break away, and then you just think about that person like yeah, I fucked up and she's like, yeah, fucked up. So you work out your issues. That's what it is like when you're fighting in your thirties. It's like, yeah, we both got issues.
Speaker 1: I can unload your issue. He's like you can unload money. Yeah, then you find a pure love right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People always say it's how you love, but it's really how you fight.
Speaker 1: That's how you fight.
Speaker 5: And man, we love hard, fight hard, but the fights we have it's growth.
Speaker 1: It's not like hurting each other. It's growth.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, I need to get over my ego with that ship or she's like, well I need to heal from that.
Speaker 1: So like yeah, it was that.
Speaker 5: That's that's what I always been looking for, man, because hip hop don't teach that.
Speaker 1: Hos get holds. It's like, but who knows me?
Speaker 3: Like who's trying to help.
Speaker 1: Me with these daddy issues. So yeah, I was like, yeah, yeah, man, how did you ask? Where did you ask? All right? So yeah, so I got the.
Speaker 5: I got the ring at Brilliant Earth, which is a non conflict lab made diamonds. And then so I know how you know, we're I guess I'm an OG millennial, right what now OG millennial?
Speaker 11: That's like like what they say is like we're from like nineteen nineteen eighty two between two thousand and right, So I'm like, I was born nineteen eighty three, So I'm like I always say, like.
Speaker 5: The OG millennial, like we went, We've been through everything, we learned everything, like see these we got it, mold them word, we got it, phone word, raise, the word Apple word. They like Instagram word snapchat.
Speaker 1: Now I'm good. I'm too old for that.
Speaker 5: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't do everything. Mom learn how to do Netflix. I can't do it. Just the TV. No, my look, just a ROCU.
Speaker 5: Just so yeah, well I met, you know, we met the d ms dating stuff. So the way I proposed was like we.
Speaker 1: Were in the social media world and I proposed on Instagram.
Speaker 5: What I dropped a proposal on Instagram, are you Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because like you know, we always on Instagram. I think so.
Speaker 4: I think it's incredible to ask somebody on Instagram to marry you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because we're both on our phones, Like, we'll have a great conversation to bar, then we'll check this gram and then we'll talk about some posts and stuff.
Speaker 3: So it was a proposal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were together and I posted it while I was in the bathroom and went to the bar and you can tell me yes and no, or you can look it from.
Speaker 1: Your phone and tell me. And she looked it from phone and I was on my knee and then book. Wow like that, that's beautiful story.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's answer the question relationship.
Speaker 4: We're gonna ask We're gonna answer some question.
Speaker 3: Will you gonna ask?
Speaker 5: Question?
Speaker 1: Is going to answer some of these questions?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Oh, this is a wash your underwear before you wear it, when you first buy it.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting fair enough unless you want to issue plus. Yeah, I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: This is something, yes, that makes it.
Speaker 3: Going on your your your most special places.
Speaker 7: Just wash.
Speaker 5: It is hard, Yes, I guess it's different when you have like a like a gaping universe.
Speaker 3: Between your legs. You want to protect it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, y'all got anyes, We got audies. It's just like you know, thank you Don.
Speaker 9: Yeah that's true, Don Black doctor, So you know outside?
Speaker 1: What's all right?
Speaker 5: Next question, I haven't been on a date since twenty three?
Speaker 1: How do I jump back in?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So what you need to do is download this ale instantly? Wait, I love you guys. Yeah, have you been on the day since twenty three? How do I jump back?
Speaker 6: But?
Speaker 3: How old are you now? Are you like forty three? Are you like Susan Boyle?
Speaker 1: You don't know? Questions and three? So maybe they're thirty. Maybe there's twenty. That's like ten years. It feels like that's a ten year question. If somebody's saying, like, I haven't been in a date twenty eighth, shit, all right, thank you, thank you? A person? Is it a man or of woman?
Speaker 3: It's a woman.
Speaker 1: It's a woman. It's a woman.
Speaker 3: What do you what say you?
Speaker 1: I would I was going to say, if it's a man, get on tender.
Speaker 3: But if it's oh my god, everyone just wants to get the way. No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why don't we defer to a woman? Here we go may I just ask thank you.
Speaker 3: If you are afraid to go out on a date, I understand dating for the most part is fucking horrible. It is fucking horrible. It is a business interview, and you know if you aren't immediately like interested, or there's a spark all of a sudden, you a bitch if you want to leave early, or don't keep a touch, if you play nice, it's just like, why are you getting back to me? Because I thought we had a connection, do you know what I mean? And sometimes people present the person that they think they are want to be, but they're not really that person. You know that you don't have a lot of alphas or time in your day, and you using your good OUTPHA to go out on that motherfucking day. You better wear the OLP for the next day or take it back to rainbow. All I'm saying is.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying, come through.
Speaker 3: Don't be afraid to jump in the water, because even if you find scary ship, it makes you like a stronger person.
Speaker 9: Sorry Davids, everybody, thank you.
Speaker 7: Welcome back to Adult Times.
Speaker 3: You bring her next cometing to stage.
Speaker 1: She's still wonderful.
Speaker 3: She's writing a book, a memoir, a memoir, memoir, and she's fucking funny, and you guys are gonna love her the end. Goodbye. Please give it up for shame.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you're doing it.
Speaker 3: You're doing it.
Speaker 1: Look at you.
Speaker 3: You've got a shirt tucked in a tucket. Now I'm a mom.
Speaker 2: I'm not a mom, but yeah, in my mind, I'm a I'm a gym teacher.
Speaker 1: In your mind, you're a gym teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've graduated to the high waisted pants with the tucked in which when I was growing up was the gym teacher.
Speaker 1: Man, what was your gym teacher like, Missus Bosars?
Speaker 3: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 2: Mid Lothian, Virginia. It's a suburb of Richmond, Virginia. Was very suburban. I was very Christian, Baptist and white.
Speaker 3: No, I had like a I was real wealthy at first.
Speaker 2: And then uh, my dad sat us down and was like, yo, I fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yo wasn't even a word then, but not for us anyway. And then it all went away and our whole lives changed. That's what my book is about.
Speaker 1: What happened. Read the book.
Speaker 2: No, he it was like financial thing that he did, and he came forward, and he made it right, and it took a really long time, and our whole lives changed.
Speaker 3: And it's always like such a weird thing when parents fuck up.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh yeah, And I think that's true because I could tell something was wrong. I totally could, and then things were made right and it felt better. And so then I was already someone who's obsessed with being moral. So after that it was like hardened in me and I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Will never break the rules.
Speaker 2: And then years later that blew up in my face and became a major problem. But anyway, what do you do when someone cuts the line? When someone cuts the line, because like a heart attack, like fuller and blown like sweat, I like it is and when they're all would.
Speaker 3: Get a pass, but like do like a little look back and.
Speaker 2: Be like, no, you're cutting the line. Like my everyone around me is like Sarah calm. I'm like, like, if I get the wrong food brought to me, I will just eat it because I just don't want to be a bother because I know it's not the waiter fault.
Speaker 1: Like it goes in a real deep place.
Speaker 2: No, I've heard time standing up for myself because I feel like I'm being a bother.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of deepness. I use it. I used to be very shy and like couldn't like ask for extra ketchup without blushing, van real talk, and I was like pretty religious. But then I sat on a dick and I was like, yeah, I got up, so ours really help you just find? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that definitely is f you know, what do you ever like like in a restaurant? I used to do that when they'd be like, oh, oh yeah, you want to be sat so you're gonna sit in the bathroom near the near the fucking you know, like near the dumpster, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I would be like, very well, you know, like this is what happens when you want to you know, Like, but but now.
Speaker 3: Why are you giving people so much power?
Speaker 1: I don't do anymore. It's changed. I've grown up a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I credit some of this newfound bravery too. I just did an eight day whitewater rafting trip in the Grand Canyon with my sister and it.
Speaker 3: Truly, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: It changed me.
Speaker 3: It was truly I was facing fears.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about? We're talking about like cat five, we're talking.
Speaker 3: Well down there they do yes, multiple stand by.
Speaker 1: Multiple cat fives. But now they but in the Grand Canyon about ship Okay, in.
Speaker 3: The Grand Canyon they don't do five. They do a scale one to ten.
Speaker 1: Of course, so we.
Speaker 3: Do you explain what does this mean?
Speaker 2: It means like rapids the highest would be considered a five, or in the Grand Canyon they do ten, so ten would be the worst.
Speaker 1: And we did multiple tens.
Speaker 2: I was scared shitless, like I've I jumped off cliffs into water someone chasing.
Speaker 3: I never do stuff like this. I was so scared.
Speaker 1: I was like crying and like, did you feel a little like Meryl Streep like.
Speaker 3: I was? I was ready to.
Speaker 1: God? Were there times where you don't oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the first big rapid river, daddy, who is what? That's what I called our guide? Sure, they were so hot. I'm telling you, like they it's part of the job description. I think you have to be.
Speaker 3: Do you get your hair wet?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: On the first big rapp and he goes, if it feels like you're underwater, it's because you are.
Speaker 1: And I was like.
Speaker 2: It was really scary, but it was really incredible, Like I can't.
Speaker 3: I think it's nice to challenge. It's good to challenge yourself, is it?
Speaker 1: I did? I did, like like.
Speaker 3: Miniature rock climbing.
Speaker 2: They were making fun of me because I was like, this is so fucked up and they were like, you're two feet up.
Speaker 1: It's like, why would you make me do this?
Speaker 2: You're not gonna follow, You're literally not gonna hurt yourself.
Speaker 3: I don't like seek adventure like I don't usually because I feel like it's being adventurous for me is like walking into a room and being like, Hi, I'm a woman with opinions. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like that is hard. This is a different and I was having.
Speaker 2: All these like on the on the bus ride there, there was a video and it was it was about the history of the Grand Canyon and stuff and the woman on a woman on there goes the Grand the Canyon, the canyon, the canyon will will take you apart and put you back together again.
Speaker 1: And that's truly what it did. It did it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, on the first day it gets around that I'm a comedian and as you know, if you're if you're a comedian in a group of like just non comedians, civilian's stressful. Don't like it it gets around that I'm a comedian. I'm literally in the boat, like I should be funnier than I am. I'm not funny anymore. Another comedian would be like making everyone laugh on the boat. I'm like literally having a breakdown about.
Speaker 1: In the boat. No one knows. I'm in my head.
Speaker 2: These canyon, these rocks are older than the fucking universe, and I'm nothing, you know, like and by the end I was put back together again, and I just, man, that's so crazy.
Speaker 3: To kick somebody in the face.
Speaker 1: Don't fuck with me, No, I won't. I've never been I've never been on the was it the Colorado? Yes, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: I've never been on the Colorado as a child, I would We went down now to the Rio grand and uh are you there? Yes, yes, I'm from Texas, Like I would go camping out there.
Speaker 1: This is a very dangerous place to camping, camping, you know, like I was in the camping you never I would love to.
Speaker 3: I've been to camping and is having sushi on the subway.
Speaker 2: I don't recommend going on a trip like this as your first example, only because there was a family on the trip where the husband clearly had not fully explained it.
Speaker 3: To his wife what they were doing and the whole trip.
Speaker 1: She was just like this.
Speaker 2: There was literally a moment We're in a slot canyon river. Daddy is playing the guitar, singing. It's the most beautiful, magical thing I've ever seen. The husband is like this, and if you pan the camera over like did away, the wife is like that.
Speaker 1: She was so fucking mad.
Speaker 3: No, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I don't part.
Speaker 12: Okay, Sarah Scher, welcome back to assaultape.
Speaker 3: That's groovy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's a question.
Speaker 3: It's some question. Guys having fun.
Speaker 1: This is hilarious.
Speaker 3: That's so nice.
Speaker 1: These are the most basic questions.
Speaker 3: What is that question?
Speaker 1: How do you stop watching Netflix?
Speaker 3: How does stop how does the sto Okay, all right, Cardi B.
Speaker 4: We got it.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna it's the same.
Speaker 3: No, that's a dumb question that doesn't answer.
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what you can do.
Speaker 4: There's a there's an app called Hiatus that's that like tells you.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're really answering this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna for people. For the people that tells you how much you spend every month, like you know what whatever? For Netflix, for Hulu, bla la, and you can also just have hiatus shut down.
Speaker 3: I'm all asleep. Can I get to the next question? So boring? It's so boring. No one's gonna grow so boring.
Speaker 1: No one's gonna so boring.
Speaker 3: It's so boring. If you're watching that much Netflix, it's long about so boring, sobering. Go ahead, doesn't eat me out?
Speaker 1: What your best friend? Your best friend doesn't eat you out? This is bullshit. My best friend eats me out. All that and.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm no doctor Oz. You ain't gonna be wet forever. Move on.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 3: You can't have the six without the nine. Last question.
Speaker 1: Last question.
Speaker 4: Advice for maintaining adult friendships. Advice for maintaining adult friendships.
Speaker 3: I have a lot, I have.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sir, he.
Speaker 1: Said, don't fuck don't fuck like it seems like you're you're speaking from experience. Is that don't fuck it up?
Speaker 3: Don't fuck a person? What do you what?
Speaker 1: Period? Don't fuck period? That's what you're saying, don't fuck you?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know what he's saying.
Speaker 1: He's saying not to fuck your friend.
Speaker 4: I think he's saying, don't fuck your friend, Sir, I know in your head you're like, this is gonna be good, and now.
Speaker 1: You see that it's not. It's not easy, and that's.
Speaker 3: It's not okay, it's not easy.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Chris, Steve Jim, thank you.
Speaker 1: His name is Will. Okay, stop it.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you. Thanks for coming to the show. I will say this. Getting back to the question maintaining adults, did I probably.
Speaker 1: How do you maintain adult friendships without?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it, you know, it's it's it's it's not hard work. You know, you check in with people just to see how they're doing. So many people you know will just be like, I have so much to do in a day, and you forget to ask somebody how they're doing. And I think that's just so important. And if you're going to somebody's house for like dinner or something, you bring something, okay, And if you don't bring something, you help clean something like. That's how that goes.
Speaker 1: That's how I have apologize to you over and over again. I don't know that was one time.
Speaker 3: Alright. So excited to bring our next guest out. He's just lovely and amazing and just so talented and so nice and I don't know if you all have HBO, but he's got a show on HBO. H out please give it up for bensing class.
Speaker 1: That's plucked that up. We fucked that up.
Speaker 3: He fucked that up, tango, i'mari fucking up.
Speaker 1: Well, don't fuck good night. That's the end of us show. I was gonna save that for a button, but.
Speaker 3: That was perfect.
Speaker 1: That's great to give you.
Speaker 3: Which How do you maintain an adult relationship or friendship?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, Well, you know, I like to talk on the phone. I'm a phone talker. I did texting for a couple of years. It's fine, but I find that when you just make a phone call, you just get the information quicker and and then I like, you know, you spend half an hour on the phone, and then you don't have to spend like forty five minutes on the subway each way to have coffee with them. It just you know what I mean, It's just like it just makes more sense to talk in the phone.
Speaker 1: Maintaining adult friendships.
Speaker 8: I'm a workaholic kind of, so like I just if I want to be friends with somebody, I hire them on the show and then.
Speaker 1: And then we become friends. So yeah, that's a good way to do it.
Speaker 8: But also I have like two or three guys from college that we were like a little click and.
Speaker 3: Did you guys have a band?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah we did well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I smell a band.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was it was like kind of tongue in cheap pop music.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, you could have been a hit in Sweden.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, it would have been a hit in Sweden. It was like very like enunciated lyrics. Oh yeah, it was. It wasn't cool at all. You were called the Guilty Pleasures.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, wait wait lyrics.
Speaker 3: Do you remember any of the lyrics?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a bear in the theater, so hide all your snacks.
Speaker 1: I can't even sing that there is a bear in the theater.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, that's my best friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's great. Oh my god.
Speaker 8: There's a bunch more please please, uh fuck this ship. I'm piecing out, I'm leaving the planet. I'm bouncing this spot. That's when Stanza so angry. Yeah. Things that Scare Me that was just there was also a song called Things that Scare Me and it was like something about it was just about bees and sharks and stuff. Yeah, but when they combo up that's even worse. These with sharks in their mouths. Oh that's interesting, dude. We all thought it was the other way.
Speaker 1: But my mind is blow. Where did you go to school? Was it?
Speaker 8: I went to I grew up in Arizona, actually, but I only went to the Grand Canyon. Like after I went to college. My parents never took me there. They were it was fucked up.
Speaker 1: Why they didn't They didn't believe it was there. They just joking. I don't know. I don't know why they didn't. They were tired. I was the fourth one.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 8: But and then I went to Oberlin College for college.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you about like the first time you have silks?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah you can't.
Speaker 3: Was there pressure to lose your virginity like in American pie or was it just like I'm going to go to the Grand Canyon? He inspired?
Speaker 8: So my first time was in at this summer camp that I eventually got married at.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 8: But I lost my virginity in this bathroom on a mattress with.
Speaker 1: Followers.
Speaker 8: Yeah camps. Yeah yeah, we just brought it two mattresses. There were other counselors in the other room. It was for a Jewish youth group events uh.
Speaker 1: We were in Malibu. And this is the funny part.
Speaker 8: I got chlamydia from it.
Speaker 1: I got.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my god, yeah yeah. That was the only STD I've had too HP people. All I ever got at camp was a tick on balls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is why I don't camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but continue, How did you know?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 1: How did I know? I got a rash? I'm not one of the lucky ones.
Speaker 8: It's a silent killer chlamydia, you know, because a lot of people don't show symptoms, but I do.
Speaker 1: And it was cool. It was cool. It was cool. I mean, I knew it while I.
Speaker 8: Was having like this is a good story, Like this is gonna it's gonna pay off, like in twenty five years or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's pain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in a basement in Brooklyn, behind a picture of oh my Ted Cruise's grandma.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great. Yeah yeah. Slow burn, so slow burn.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I can't, I cannot, I cannot.
Speaker 1: Do you want?
Speaker 8: Another funny part of that virginity loss was I I was singing take on Me by Aha for what at least part of it. I was singing the song take on Me while I was trying not to ejaculate into.
Speaker 3: Did you like throw yourself into the wall to try and get out of a cartoon afterwards?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, And that looked like the Footloos stance, remember when he's in the warehouse and footbast.
Speaker 1: How old are you? I'm thirty four.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is the most adult thing that you've done in your twenties?
Speaker 1: I got married in my twenties. That was pretty big. Yeah. Do you have kids? No? Okay, do you want kids? I've been thinking about babies a lot. I think.
Speaker 8: Having a child is taking a gamble on the future, that the future is going to be better than the present. I feel like you're really being like, hey, this, you're going to inherit this, and I just don't. I don't think what is to inherit is. No, I don't think what's coming is that awesome, I guess, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that's a minority opinion.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, so I think about it like that. But listen, I would like to be a part of a tribe, and I would like to be able to chill at home and feel completely okay with just being with my people. That sounds great, and that sense of belonging, I think is the real thing I'm attracted to.
Speaker 4: I thought you were dad because you have if it's not to offend you, but you have a dad vibe, like.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have a dad body.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that vibe.
Speaker 3: I think what you're picking up is he's calm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're calling.
Speaker 8: Well, I make sure I'm speaking from my chest when.
Speaker 1: I when I'm ever talking.
Speaker 8: To somebody gets it gets out and noidal like it gets me like, hey, like really quick.
Speaker 1: So I got to bring it back. I got to pull it back.
Speaker 3: Have you ever made a decision where were just like this is fucking scary. I don't know how I'm going to like get through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm always making those decisions that cares.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, No, that's a great attitude to have about stuff, because yeah, it's just a thing. I mean it's that and drink water and touch your toes. That's what I tell myself. What people not just kidding, but like, yeah, it's it's a thing. Not to worry. No, I mean I'm worrying about not worrying enough.
Speaker 8: You just you just most like everything is an illusion basically, Yeah, just it doesn't really matter, Like not Eve, it really matters. You just have to your body has to work, and you have to breathe in and out and just take care of your own self before you start telling.
Speaker 1: Other people what to do. That's been like the big thing for me.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I make I have this ritual of making nut milk every morning, like I soak.
Speaker 3: That sounds so suggestive, yea, And it looks so suggestive too.
Speaker 8: I would like soak all men overnight and then I like blend them up and then I just put them through this nut bag and I and I like squeeze all the milk out into a bowl and it's like going over my knuckles, all this white milk and it's.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's like, so it's so awesome. And then I, oh, my God, brought you that porn hub.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 8: It's so delicious too. Oh yeah, yeah, it's really good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't like nut milk? Person in the morning. You got to start your day somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna take some questions from the audience. You pick one, you pick, you pick pick.
Speaker 8: How do I motivate a twelve year old girl to interact with life outside of her phone?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, an adult question.
Speaker 3: It is so adult.
Speaker 1: I think you take the phone, take the few, and.
Speaker 4: You smack with you and you throw it into the room.
Speaker 1: That's what you gotta do. You gotta take the power away from children.
Speaker 4: I always do this one thing where I'm always like, we're not going to be friends right now, Like I'll just tell it.
Speaker 8: What Yeah, that's actually you shun you, you like temporarily shun people traumatizing.
Speaker 4: First of all, everybody down, all right, everybody gave me here's here's here's the deal.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Kids, I've noticed and adults are adults more likely are paralyzed in their fear that the child is going to hate them, right, But children are very they recover very quickly.
Speaker 1: So it's like mostly you think they don't. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Believe me. Hold out. I'm forty. My child just got here. They're like five years old. That whatever tantrum they throw, I can fucking take it, you know. Ship.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's one of the most gangster PTA meetings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but but sometimes.
Speaker 3: Can we bring the emmy out?
Speaker 1: Can we bring that? Can we bring it?
Speaker 3: What's the next question? Good job?
Speaker 1: Jordan y'all. I'm just gonna have a bunch of kids that are like fucking dominating you.
Speaker 3: But how do.
Speaker 1: You pass a drug test for an adult job? I'm really the wrong person.
Speaker 8: I'm like, it couldn't be more wrong to answer that they have tea at GNC.
Speaker 3: You just make a tea a gallon and then you piss a lot and then you can pass your test.
Speaker 1: What job are you doing?
Speaker 3: I also don't take that job. Just be like, I ate a lot of poppy seed bagels.
Speaker 8: How often should I actually be changing my sheets?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, actually changing? Yeah? Actually you lie and they're like they're changed. It's underline too. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I do think cleanliness is like also an adulting situation. Every week, I say, every week and have more than one pair of sheets.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this morning shower, evening shower.
Speaker 3: I take showers three times a day.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah.
Speaker 3: Every time I take a ship, well, I wake up, take and if I take a ship, I got.
Speaker 1: What happened to you? What's going on? I am?
Speaker 3: Okay? Love me?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really fucking my skin up though. My skin is so dry. I might have to get like a Japanese toilet robe a day.
Speaker 1: But I do.
Speaker 4: I do like once a day, but if in the morning or in the morning. But if if it's rocky road back there, then I.
Speaker 13: Definitely, well, man, listen, wow, man, if it's a Colorado River.
Speaker 1: Pocket canyon, then you got to canyon.
Speaker 8: Well you know, she said it, Sarah, You're supposed to shower, we get a bed, that's the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you can never wash your sheets.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I cannot. I can't. I cannot not take a shower before Ben, Like.
Speaker 8: I do you have sex? Be after the shower, before the shower? Yeah, Oh that's all over the place. I don't know, So I don't have like a schedule for sex. It's sort of just like like if you're like, all right, we like we have sex now, I'm going to take a shower and go to bed. Yeah definitely. You gotta take a dick shower at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I'm kind of like the truth is the truth is I'm kind of gross.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of a slovenly person.
Speaker 14: I really, you know, come on, this was such a fun show, Sarah so amazing.
Speaker 3: And Ben next level and Jordan's the best next time though I have a mouse. I'm definitely calling your dad for help because you're useless.
Speaker 1: No, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Give him the credits.
Speaker 4: Adulting was produced by Blakeney Shick and O'delia Rubin. The Adulting team includes Joanna Salataroff, Paula Schumann, Joe plored At Haber, and Irene Trudell. Julia Boterra edited this episode. The live show is produced by Christian Banda.
Speaker 3: Our theme music is by Isaac Jones with additional music by Don Will.
Speaker 1: Did you like this episode? Please rate us?
Speaker 6: Do it?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Please play French for please and write a review.
Speaker 9: Who doesn't write a review review us be brutal.
Speaker 4: You can subscribe to Adulting wherever you get your podcasts. So don't miss our next.
Speaker 3: Episode and remember, guys, and next time you can invite to someone's else, here's a tip. Ask them if you should take your shoes off, okay, And if you're gonna take your shoes off, make sure your feet ain't funky. No body wanna smell your feet