Speaker 1: New York City, the only place in the world that can make you feel like somebody and nobody at the exact same time. Learning how to survive here has made me who I am?
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up brouh boss here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just came through, But lately I'm starting to wonder who else I could become.
Speaker 2: I gotta do more than just survive.
Speaker 1: Let's go good, it's good.
Speaker 3: I know the way he asked me to bring you back?
Speaker 4: Right heyeo?
Speaker 5: You want to hang this?
Speaker 6: Sorry, ladies, he's on the clock.
Speaker 2: I'll catch you another time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there any woman here tonight? You haven't had a thing with It comes with the job.
Speaker 7: Help Your job opens up soon then.
Speaker 2: And why would my job be opening up?
Speaker 7: Let's not keep him waiting.
Speaker 1: This city has its own gravitational pull, so if you get a chance to.
Speaker 8: Break out of orbit, you take it no matter where it leaves.
Speaker 9: Good luck, man, Hey kid, close that door for me. I can't hear myself think.
Speaker 10: Over that record.
Speaker 1: You gotta try to expand your musical paletto man, there's more to life than just classic rock. Not for me, there's not for someone who runs the nightlife scene. You can't seem to stand it.
Speaker 9: I'm here for the ancillary business opportunities, not the esthetic.
Speaker 1: You're gonna tell me why I needed to escort get back here tonight.
Speaker 11: I have an assignment for you that's a little time sensitive.
Speaker 10: Couldn't have your getting sidetracked.
Speaker 8: You need me to make a drop, not a drop, a pickup.
Speaker 9: There's a woman I need to have a word with. I want you to get.
Speaker 11: Her, bring her back to the city.
Speaker 2: Where is Brooklyn?
Speaker 9: Nah, she's gone and taking herself on an island vacation.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna need you to go.
Speaker 2: Cut it short. Which island, Mars.
Speaker 11: Don't get all spooped on me.
Speaker 2: You know that place better than anyone, and you know why I can't go back there.
Speaker 9: I'm sure no one will recognize you. Come on, you're hardly the scrawny pop I rescued fifteen years ago. She's your girl. Why can't you just go? We didn't part on the best terms. I doubt she'd even be willing to see me. But you, on the other hand, you can be very.
Speaker 2: Persuasive, Marcus. You know I would never question in order without good reason. But this is just.
Speaker 9: I suppose this is what I get for teaching you how to negotiate.
Speaker 11: Here's your advance. Bring her back and you'll get the rest. Call it a servants package.
Speaker 2: You fire me.
Speaker 10: You don't need that surprise.
Speaker 11: I know you've been searching for a way out ever since Chicago.
Speaker 2: It's been hard to shake, which.
Speaker 9: Is why I'm not gonna hold it against you looking for other opportunities behind my bid.
Speaker 1: Marcus, you know me better than anybody on this planet. You know I'm not gonna go behind your back on some crazy shat make me second.
Speaker 11: Guess my generosity by lying in me. You do this last job for me, and I let you retire early with a golden parachute. This is your chance to get out of here and do what you really want. Nicholas, take it.
Speaker 2: I'll fly it in the morning.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 11: As for your assignment.
Speaker 3: Oh, traffic's not too bad. Will get to La Guardia with plenty of time before it. Wheel's up.
Speaker 7: Cool?
Speaker 2: Going to get the boss's girl? Huh, that's what it looked like. You know anything about her? Nah?
Speaker 3: I just know you couldn't pay me to be in your shoes right now.
Speaker 1: I had no idea who this woman was or what she meant to Marcus, but to me, she meant to chance had a new life.
Speaker 4: Who says, I'm looking.
Speaker 2: For anything everybody who comes seeing.
Speaker 8: If and only if I can win her over.
Speaker 12: Do you really think you can show me something that I haven't.
Speaker 7: Seen this story.
Speaker 2: And I had no intention. I'm losing.
Speaker 11: Underwater?
Speaker 12: Episode two, the Assignment.
Speaker 8: Listen, listen to me.
Speaker 2: I found her. You made contact. Yeah, see something.
Speaker 9: That's an understatement.
Speaker 2: It might take some time, but I'm sure I can convince it to come.
Speaker 6: I can give you four days for what That's.
Speaker 1: A pretty quick fucking turnaround.
Speaker 9: Really, I thought I was being generous given your skill set.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm flattered, really, but no more.
Speaker 9: Buts just do whatever it takes to get her back here.
Speaker 2: Yes, whatever it takes, meaning you want, I don't.
Speaker 9: Like to microman it. Use whatever methods you see fit. But the second she's back in here, you back off, no questions asked.
Speaker 8: Of course, that won't be a problem.
Speaker 9: Please, You've never met a mark you couldn't grow a saut spot for.
Speaker 2: You always get too involved, Kit, That's.
Speaker 9: Why you're not cut out for this in the long run, no matter how hard a punch you could throw. But I'm gonna need you to keep that heart of gold and check this time can't save everyone. Understand, understood, now, try and get some rest.
Speaker 11: She's always been an early riser.
Speaker 8: Anything else, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Try not to let her out of your cipher too long. He's something of a flight risk.
Speaker 10: Good morning, mister Alexander. You're certainly up early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going out for a morning run.
Speaker 10: Oh lovely enjoy.
Speaker 7: Jon Oh.
Speaker 1: Hey, sorry, I almost blew past you. I get in my own little world when i'm running.
Speaker 12: Seems like it. You're working on your stamina.
Speaker 2: Stamina, It's never been an issue for me. Mind.
Speaker 1: If I walk with you, I gotta let my heart rate come down a bit. Sure you're doing not so early, especially on Acon.
Speaker 12: Who said I'm on vacation, And what brings you down here?
Speaker 2: If not? Is this a business trip.
Speaker 12: Or it's kind of personal.
Speaker 2: That's all right.
Speaker 1: You don't have to get into it right now, but you could tell me over a drink later if you want to pick up what we left.
Speaker 12: Off where you left me sitting alone at the bar, Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Well? You know what they say, what always leave them one more?
Speaker 12: Sorry, I've got plans tonight.
Speaker 2: Oh what kind of plans?
Speaker 12: Elena's taking me into town.
Speaker 2: What No, I ain't say nothing.
Speaker 12: Your mouth didn't, but that look on your face is sure.
Speaker 1: Speaking volumes just doesn't seem like a good idea to be leaving the resort, especially at night.
Speaker 12: Elena's lived here for years. I'll be in good hands with her. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but two women alone out there just doesn't sound too safe.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I love a little bit of sexism first thing in the morning.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, worried about you?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not yours to worry about. And besides, we won't be alone. There's some sort of festival happening in town this week, so there will be plenty of other people around, don't you worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the other people you have to watch out for. Well, in my experience, we should probably head back. I'd love to check out the festival with you.
Speaker 12: I'm really just trying to hang with Elena tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Elena wouldn't mind me taking along with you.
Speaker 12: Oh oh, okay, I see what this is. You wanted to be the one to show me the real island? Is that right?
Speaker 2: You called me?
Speaker 5: Sorry to disappoint that You're just gonna have to wait your turn.
Speaker 2: That's all right, cool, I'm a patient.
Speaker 12: Man, good because I'm worth the way, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Dan, I'm gonna go ahead and finish my run. Don't want to lose all the.
Speaker 5: Momentum, Okay, just don't expect me to chase you.
Speaker 2: Girls, gonna be the death of me.
Speaker 1: Resource like Dstino keep a close eye on their guests to try and give you what you want before you even though you want.
Speaker 9: Good morning, mister Alexander, Can I offer you a little post run bloody Mary?
Speaker 2: No, I'm good, thank you.
Speaker 1: But as I walked back to my room, I had a feeling it wasn't just a hotel that had a nailed me. Someone was following me, and I just wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: Get off my fucking.
Speaker 13: Tail, hold on just me, Jesus Christ, diego, don't sneak up on me like that.
Speaker 2: Man almost threw you down the fucking stairs. You all right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: Not really?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, man, I felt like someone was following me. My instincts just took over.
Speaker 6: Those are your instincts.
Speaker 2: Since I've been here, I've been paranoid as fuck.
Speaker 6: Damn what were you doing this morning? Run a marathon?
Speaker 2: Now? But I did run and see a girl on the beach this morning.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. I knew you were into her. Yeah, you really called it.
Speaker 6: It's like something out of a movie. Bro a windsweat beach, two beautiful strangers.
Speaker 8: Oh man, I've got chills.
Speaker 2: I get inside, would you. I don't know who might be listening. This place is making a paranoid.
Speaker 1: It's not the resort that's got me looking over my shoulder. Man, it's the rest of the island.
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: I've got history here. Some people might not be excited to see me back.
Speaker 6: But that's on the past, right. I'm sure people have moved on by now.
Speaker 1: They might be the past, but I'm sure they still see me as a threat, and they're not wrong.
Speaker 2: You don't seem very optimistic for a guy who's fresh off of me cute. Well, let's just say there's some complicated factors.
Speaker 8: Ah, she got a boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Hard to say. What I do know is that she's going into town with Atlanta later tonight for the festival. Oh you know about it?
Speaker 6: Of course.
Speaker 10: The whole island's going to be in party mode tonight. It's our big end of the season celebration.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, really, the festival I remember was a small neighborhood thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's been getting bigger every year.
Speaker 9: We locals still have our fun, but the whole thing's become a tourist magnet.
Speaker 2: No fens or anything.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 6: Some tourists can hang obviously.
Speaker 2: So it's I'm not a tourist.
Speaker 1: There you go, of course, Boss, I'm gonna need you to help me figure out where it's gonna be at later.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 6: Elena and I go way back.
Speaker 2: I can ask her where they're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Thanks, but I need you to drive me there and stick around too, in case for me to make a quick exit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, can you at lease tell me what you're so worried about?
Speaker 2: So I know what to look out for, but you don't trust me.
Speaker 9: I get this is no questions ask kind of deal, but I still appreciate a few answers.
Speaker 1: Boss, I know what sucks being kept in the dark, So maybe this can help brighten you move.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, it doesn't hurt.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 8: Now let me get a little privacy. I gotta clean up be for this festival.
Speaker 11: That's better.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 9: We might not be as big as New York City, but we know how to turn up damn.
Speaker 1: I was expecting a block party, not carnival. Didn't go How the fund are we supposed to find on and all this ship?
Speaker 2: We just have to follow the parade. There's a big stage for live music at the end of the route.
Speaker 9: The street turns into a giant dance party once the parade wraps up.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, all right, did lead the way? Watch? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: It's just firecrackers. Why don't we get you a drink or something to take the edge off.
Speaker 2: I'm good, you stay shocked.
Speaker 8: I was like, oh, that's too much.
Speaker 6: Twelve years later, you okay, man?
Speaker 8: Yeah, just take an interview.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a pretty beach right.
Speaker 2: Used to be real sketchy back in the day before they cleaned it up. That's one way to put it. What do you mean by let's get out of here? Let's go always with the secrets.
Speaker 1: Remember, if I say we need to get out of here, it means.
Speaker 6: Now, man, what did you do to leave such an impression here?
Speaker 2: I ain't say a proper goodbye.
Speaker 9: Yay guyy you made us and you brought it sights.
Speaker 2: Speaking of where's your plus one?
Speaker 12: Anna? She's around here somewhere. Good luck getting any alone time. Hot terrists are quite in demand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could get an attention though.
Speaker 12: I meant you too.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get mobbed out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Well call me if you run into her. I'm gonna scope out the crowd.
Speaker 2: Okay, boss, Come on Anna? Where are you? Oh? My god?
Speaker 4: Is that Nigo?
Speaker 2: Somebody grew up?
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry? Do I know you?
Speaker 12: Hello?
Speaker 9: I'm the girl you were dating up until you vanished off the face of the goddamn earth.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Dahlia, how you been? I'm better now that you're back.
Speaker 12: You want to dance with me?
Speaker 2: Baby? Next time?
Speaker 6: Come on one song, won't you.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be so sure about that? Hey?
Speaker 7: Are you all right?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I gotta I gotta gotta rhyme.
Speaker 2: I'll see you.
Speaker 4: Soon, Lego, are you seriously at you?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? Excuse me? I said, excuse me, excuse me? Yeah?
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 2: Diego?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 9: Is everything right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We gotta go right now.
Speaker 7: We can't leave it?
Speaker 2: Why the hell not?
Speaker 12: Because I found on him?
Speaker 2: Where where's yet?
Speaker 6: She's right here with me in Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Remember when I said I felt like someone was following me. Yeah, yeah, well I was right.
Speaker 9: What do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: Just just keep on the where she's at, don't move. I'm gonna come find you. Okay, Hey, bro, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: Nico, Nico, Nigo.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I didn't know when that was the difficulty.
Speaker 13: You see, you got them ballers donning the bucket use stay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't imagine.
Speaker 7: Like your stable.
Speaker 14: Underwater is an Interval Presents original production with Temple Hill Entertainment and Clamor, starring Jason Derulo and Alexander Shipp. Written by Katrina Day, directed by Pat Kelly and Chris Kelly. Executive producer Jason Derulo, executive producers from Interval Presents, Alan Coy and Jay Kleinberg executive producers from Temple Hill Entertainment, Marty Bowen, Wit Godfrey and Alex Addison executive producers from Clamor. Rich Statter, Aaron Hilliard, Adam Reynolds and Alison Chaneo. Executive produced by Katrina Day. Executive producer from Future History Frank Harris. Special thanks to Henri De Sources Marketing Lead, Samara Still, Business Development Lead, Cheffy Ellen, Sweg Maggie and operations lead Sarah You, post production audio services by Kelly and Kelly Sound Design and mixed by Paul Teteskian. Dialogue edited by Max Collins. Original music by Genevieve Vincent. Song arranged by Genefee Vincent. The cast includes Jason Derulo as Nico, Alexander Ship as Honor, Carrie Alexander as bank teller and additional voices. Bo Bridgeland is Jordan, Michael Dary as credit reader and additional voices, Anisia Dubois Dahlia and Young Dahlia, Andrew Frankel as stranger in additional voices, Walter Gray the Fourth as male tourist and additional voices, Melissa Greenspan as female tourists and additional voices, Alice Hunter as Elenath, Jeremy Jordan as Gabriel, Josh Keaton as Matteo, Tara Langela as female guest and additional voices, Jonathan Leon as Young Matteo, Donnis Leonard Junior as Elias Parker, James Logi as young Boy, Emily Martinez as Carmen, Michael McLoone as Marcus, Carlo Renata as bartender John Carlos Sabagon as Diego, David Shatraw as Male Guest and additional voices Andre Sagluzzo as Sebastian, Cameron, Jay Wright as Young Nico, and Hannah Zamora as Mia. Produced by Ian Holman, post produced by Justin Schoe and Lauren Berkovic. Associate producer Erica Lowan. Music supervision by Melanie Mitchell. Music clearances by Deborah Manis Gardner DMG Clearances Incorporated. Audio engineered by Ian Folberty and Ed mcinty at Gold Diggers, Brett Tuban at the Relic Room and Jordan Sweet at Challie Recording Studio. Assistant engineered by Derek mcgrone and Amperorser. Vocal coaching by Bianca Blush Atvert Casting by Marlice, Gusenhauer, Sibby Kersch and Brentegata. Additional casting by Melissa Berger, Brennan Salem Everett and Scott Forbes at CESD Town. Script supervisor Tamara Black, Production supervisor Lizzie Sam Production coordinators Ethan Aronson and Sean Green. Production assistants Chelsea Perry and Samara Malik. Additional special thanks to Riley Fulsom and Maxim Carlik. Underwater was recorded at Gold Diggers in Los Angeles, California, Challice Recording Studio in Los Angeles, California, and The Relic Room in New York, New York. Make sure to follow Underwater and listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Sirius XM, or wherever you get your podcasts.