Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back all the smoke, day two.
Speaker 1: On camera. Man.
Speaker 3: That was before we said wrong camera. But Jack has been a good two days.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We gotta we got a king here, sir, one of the one of one of the best to ever do it. Man, someone I really look up to, you know, I like to to, you know, dabble in the in the political space. And this is something that someone that I that I really look up to and follow because he keeps himself educated and on the front line.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Not a not a not a not afraid to apologize for mistakes, which is rare. Some motherfuckers will say some stuff and then it didn't work and then no matter right or wrong. I've seen this brother come out and say, hey, I was wrong, and that takes to me a lot of courage on.
Speaker 5: My white thing I'm going to do to everybody. I'm like, I'm not wrong about.
Speaker 6: Everybody, and I'm always everybody thought I was talking to every woman I was.
Speaker 5: Didn't on you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show Man, one of the kings of comedy d l hugely.
Speaker 2: They appreciate you, my brother, thank you.
Speaker 7: But on that note, think they thought I was apologized for everything, everything.
Speaker 5: Most of the ship.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm standing on.
Speaker 5: The joke and that's up to you to decide for me.
Speaker 7: When you were wrong somebody in a way where it takes flight like I was, I was pretty the.
Speaker 2: Spread obviously we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 7: I was somebody that was complicit because I believe like a lot of people believe. And it was only when we had a conversation and she asked me to do the simplest thing was to look before I started talking, and that was that was the impetus of the apology. But to me, I care about one. I care about. Politics are like a tool. To me, ain't no different than a hammer or or a nail or wrench. It is, how can because everything you ask for is uh any. All the things that we would want accomplished are going to happen through the political apparatus. You can't ask for some marching. You know you're marching for effect. You're boycotting for an effect, and that is to put pressure on political fingers to the figures to act.
Speaker 5: So it's not it's not just some folly For me, I want.
Speaker 7: What I want is the world that's better for my for my people and and to me, whoever has the best and I'm not that's not transit, and I think it isn't purely transacting. But but for me, the ultimate goal is to have the world better look better for the people behind me than the people in front of me.
Speaker 5: People in front of me, they haven't already made, they they already had.
Speaker 2: Do you have?
Speaker 3: I mean obviously speaking on it and being on the front, do you have any aspirations of being a political figure?
Speaker 5: I like pussy and liquor too much? Did you do it twice? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I don't, And I think but now that the paradigm has moved so much, I mean we got I mean this dude, this is the president was in court with a whole.
Speaker 5: Testifying against him.
Speaker 7: Now, I'm not against paying the hooker off never, but I ain't never paid one to keep their mouth shut.
Speaker 5: No, I ain't never done that. He wrote a check for who is that? Stormy? Is that? I? E h? Y? Who does like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 7: I think the barometer is different, But ultimately, as a nation, the one thing I was relieved about about the selection process is there's no guessing anymore about what this country is.
Speaker 5: It's clear you remember how these you had these dudes in your neighborhood.
Speaker 7: They were fuck up all the time, and the mother would spend their time praying and when they told when she got told they was in jail or dead, she would go, at least I know where he is. That was a relief to them. At least I know where this country is. I ain't got to pretend no more, and it knows where it is. So that is like when I would suck up in school and they would tell my mother everything I did. I had to worry no more because now I know, And I think it is a freeing feeling to know exactly and nobody gets an unvarnished truth where this nation is.
Speaker 3: I think I know you do this because again you're explaining why this is in your heart. And he uses as a tool to the advancement of our people. But what do you think about the people and the people who critique athletes or celebrities or comedians or whatever vain they want to put us in that speak on stuff that literally affects all of us, but for some reason we're not allowed to speak right in some people's.
Speaker 7: That went out the window when the game show host became the leader of the free world and talk about it. That's not I mean, here's the thing, because the greatest the only time they ever listen to black people is where we're singing, dancing, running or jumping.
Speaker 5: Only time when when do you you ever?
Speaker 7: And that is why for oftentimes when the nation looks at distractions, and we are generally at the center of that distraction through athletic prowess or through entertainment, the only time they're ever gonna hear us. Look at the greatest people in the world who moved needles. It wasn't it was Muhammad Ali. It was it was athletes, the athletes, actors and artists, people with the with the attention on them that changed perspectives.
Speaker 5: Motown changed the sixties.
Speaker 7: It wasn't people, you know, marching, It was sounds and it was sights, and it was it was people risking things and people that they respected from an athletic perspective. So it was the Jim Brown's and all those people that changed America's mind. And it was because the only time they hear us is when we're doing something.
Speaker 3: They like, I don't want this to be a completely political conversation.
Speaker 2: Were here where we're at now? So what what what? What is your? What do we do?
Speaker 5: Moving forward? We're gonna make it.
Speaker 7: Listen, when the world end, it's gonna be two things and have niggas and roaches. For sure, they're gonna be left left nothing that they're doing. Have we not seen in some kind of iteration facts nothing so as much as a and the funny thing, I'm a sixty year old, wealthy black man. I wouldn't vote nothing. I ain't gonna have no abortion, I ain't gonna get nobody. I would say this, Mexican, enjoy your next two weeks for because it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be a lot of white janitors on the twenty first. I know that white people better learn this word, fabuloso. Learn that.
Speaker 3: Kat Williams in twenty twenty four kind of set the tone and opened up Pandora's box and we had a crazy, crazy.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: We're in a world of exposing or trying to expose or you know, stuff we knew about now that people were okay with we're not okay with now. That's just a lot of kind of cleansing somewhat you want to say, due do you expect that tradition to carry on.
Speaker 7: Well, I think now we're in everybody who's in trouble. Now that they got what they got Bill Cosby, r Kelly and Diddy, they don't fucked around the rest of the nineties. If you've ever been on nickd Night, you going to jail. But look at who those men were raised by. Look at what the influences they saw. We used to grow up. We saw a general hospital, had Luke and Lord. Luke rape Lord and then married her. We had Pebby Lapew. He was a stalker. So we were raised by predatory men wrapped up in a boat. Those men were raised by them. Those men were mentored by men who were raised by worse men, and then they thought they could do it.
Speaker 5: But what happened is the time change. What happened is things.
Speaker 7: Look at all those people in trouble, look at what their upbringing, I look at their influences. Look who they were raised and mentor by. Look at who they were influenced by. You can't be shocked at the results.
Speaker 3: Some of these same people. You know you throw Diddy in there. They're the accusations allegedly about jay Z that we grew.
Speaker 2: Up on in in kind of shaped rure.
Speaker 3: Ways of living, ways of thinking are now under the magnifying glass. Why do you think, in your opinion, it's only the black heroes that are under fire when you look at the Abercamie and Fitch group who did similar things to what did he did?
Speaker 4: Did he allege for?
Speaker 2: But we're in and out and they're not even talked about.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: I think Jeffrey Epstein would argue differently. I think Roger Els would argue, argue differently. I think there are any number of white men who've lost their position. I think it is a nation shame. Look slavery was always wrong, but people accepted it. What they were doing was always wrong. It's wrong to take something against somebody's will, but just because it's involved on me, it's right. And I think that it's a misnomber to say that Jeffrey Estein's in jail right now and he's as rich and powerful as you come. And I think the comparison of they get to do it, and I think Epstein Epstein the kid from Harvey Weinstein weinstin. But I think my the thing the argument is they get to do it, we should do I think that My argument is we should all see the same kinds of sentences, we should all be the same kind of pariahs in society. But you can't tell me how serious you are about a men's conduct and then vote for a rapist or some adjudicated rapists. You can't tell me that you're serious about that. So for that aspect, I understand where a nation who when we talk about crime like I heard now there are people in these retailers are now raising everything to nine hundred and fifty in California, raising some all of the isles and nine hundred and fifty one dollars.
Speaker 5: It's make to the felony.
Speaker 7: The number one cause of theft in the retail isn't shoplifters, it's it's cashiers. It's people to work in the stock. But what they do is they tried us out. Like every time they bust one of them them them rings, it's always a white lady in Napa or San Diego. But we we are the picture of it, right, I think. And when we talk about crime, we always talk about blue collar crimes, not white collar crimes. Every niggat that every robbed anything everywhere, wouldn't add up to one act, one Ponzi scheme, one mortgage crisis. But we are constantly the kind of the face stay hold up, you can't tell me you gonna be tough on crime and then you got to court date next month.
Speaker 5: That just don't don't work.
Speaker 3: Any truth that you refuse to do club? Yes, was there a reason behind that?
Speaker 7: Because I think that, and I've said this openly, I think that the reason that many of those men went on that show is because skip shit on him, skip shit on Shannon in a way that made most black men go, fuck that, We're gonna make sure this brother. But then those very men were now all of a sudden the subject of ridicule. And then an art form I loved was tried it out week after week because it was in vogue and Shae Shay is a great platform, But it ain't the arbiter of truth. I ain't never known a club where they told the truth at.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 7: I ain't never known one club like it ain't. It ain't a bench, it ain't a bible. It became a thing where it was this arbiter of all that was wrong. Now I know everyone. I love Cat. I think Cat is an Andrew I think he's one of the most talented human beings I've ever seen, saying I love I know, said and Skip, and I said, and Steve, I know Earthquake. I know all those men, and though I have a decidedly different experience with them, but I thought they are I thought, in terms of my perspective of club Say in its initial iteration, that was it was It's an art form. I loved that now was being trotted out and splayed out, and I thought it was misrepresented, like it would be like somebody telling you how shitty basketball was.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I love this art form.
Speaker 7: It took me from places that I never thought I would go to singing sitting in front of kings and queens. So I have a different perspective of it, and I thought that to me was something that I just That's why I draw the line at for me.
Speaker 3: For me, you can do whatever you want. When you called me, I came right right away. I was surprised, like I hit him, he said, yeah, right away.
Speaker 2: Of people like why you.
Speaker 7: Fuck with black black because I like him, I'm gonna fuck with I'm never gonna explain to somebody or justify somebody why I do anything.
Speaker 5: I do what I want to do. I'm not gonna tell you where you going, Nigga.
Speaker 7: When my father asked my you have rest, your family were going Nigga to see a man about adult I.
Speaker 4: Wish I would I was a famous line or a horse.
Speaker 5: And we never got none of it.
Speaker 7: But you to me, to me, there are things that I sparked to agree with, like or dislike.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think that what he's doing. He was actually my favorite football player. But but I think the iteration of that, the way that that came about, and the harm I saw it cost people I love in an art form I love, made me go, you know what, that's not the thing I need to do.
Speaker 3: I know, comedy, like sports, has always been in competitive space, but now it's feels like there's more beef.
Speaker 7: But that's not a listen. The Kings of Comedy was at one point was the greatest tour that ever existed. We used to have a clause.
Speaker 5: It was a thousand dollars for every minute.
Speaker 7: You went off right, because you know, you go to these union buildings and they have these hard houts. You know, we never raised one thousand dollars because everybody respect everybody time was it was, it was that I think He's a comedy started was the birthplace of all of these things we now see. And it was an exercise of black men working in a cohesive way, all loving each other.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 5: Now, I am not saying we didn't have problems.
Speaker 7: I'm not under saying people didn't argue, But I am saying that it did so much. It was transformative, and so much that was good. And to see it reduced to this was a little bit too much for me.
Speaker 8: Paint the picture of your upbringing in South Central ended up getting here into a gang culture.
Speaker 7: Well, I I don't think, how do you grow up one hundred thirty fifth and Bavalane and not and not and and.
Speaker 5: You know that's what how do you?
Speaker 7: You're a product of your environment and and and this is the caveat. I would say black men are judged by the exception, not the rule.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 7: The people that made it as supposed to be the most people are going to succumb to the streets, most people in that environment. But then you hold the predicate is well, l he did it. Why can't you a roles can go through concrete that that doesn't mean it's fertile ground. Right, most of us made it out and lucky. And what what is it while we here? Cause we had a skill set, we had a blessing, a extra something that they didn't have.
Speaker 5: It wasn't you.
Speaker 7: They could have been just as tall, athletic of you, or just as m you know, tenations as you, or just as funny as me. Right, we had something they did. And now the rest of our communities are judged by our gifts, and that, to me is a is a standard that is so hypocritical.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 7: I think every person has the right to live a good life as an average human being.
Speaker 5: But we can only live a good life and we're exceptional.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Like I was in I was in a seat one time. It was in first class.
Speaker 7: It was me and it was Donald Glover and it was a football player and uh, these uh, these white people got on the playing they go, you guys must be famous.
Speaker 5: And he got mad.
Speaker 7: I'm like, Nikka, we all famous. What are you talking about? What I sit in close?
Speaker 5: First class? I made glow that curtain because I don't like all that suffering. Going back, Why does this Margarita says so good?
Speaker 7: Because the salt is made from the tears of the coach pastors this crash.
Speaker 4: Were you a big showtime Lakers fan?
Speaker 5: I was, of course, James Worthy is my favorite.
Speaker 7: Player, James A. You're Worthy from Gastonia, North Carolina. But but I was a Laker fan, which is really weird now because now basketball in general is people trying to form voltrot m like it is like, but like, I'm not a Nugget fan. But I liked that they stayed together even though we're losing and finally won. I like when Milwaukee did it. I like the Golden State has done it. They won in an iteration of everybody had been written off for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: They got together, stayed together.
Speaker 7: But I think the NBA, now it's so transactional in terms of let's do it now, let's get together and we can do it now. The net the Knicks used to try to do that. I mean, just give me. The Yankees used to try to it never worked. But I loved the Lakers. We drafted Worthy, we drafted Magic, we got Kareem we drafted Byron Scott, we drafted Derek Fisher, we drafted those, we drafted Kobe Bryant, so as as I grew up here, when I watched them become with there, I remember when he was missing all them shots. And he's done something that I very rarely see anybody else do. He won without his nucleus. Jordan never won without Pippin Bird Ain't never won without those he said he won. He won two champions in the row with two people. I'm not what people want. I'm not sure at first battle. Hall of Famous, I know because Hall of Maaker. What was your first ballot?
Speaker 5: Hall of Famer?
Speaker 7: No, so when you watch somebody, When I watched Kareem and I watched wil Chamberlain, and I watched Jerry Weston, I watched uh h, Kobe Bryant become these things, and he nurtured the city. I remember you in here with the bat. I mean, I watched all that happen.
Speaker 5: So now.
Speaker 7: In l A, to me, it's Dodgers, and now you're gonna get mad. It's Dodgers, USC. I know, I know, I know it's Dodgers USC and Lakers.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been to the Forum Club a couple of times? In experience?
Speaker 7: No experience, but I watched I was like, God, damn I watched, you know what. The reason I'll never worry there are things that I knew that were past me, Like I ain't never got to worry about my name getting called up in a puffy party.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 7: Because there was certain things. I was like, Ah, I'm a right used to go to Freaknick. And I saw this little brother that I like doing something. I was like, I ain't ever coming here again. Like when you know how to go home early, that's a gift. That's the best ship in the world.
Speaker 2: That's a gift.
Speaker 5: I was in Detroit one time.
Speaker 7: I was hanging out with these cats man, and we left at four o'clock, and I was like, man, how we should go At six o'clock? We watched the polite police roll all them niggas out of I see, I said, I told you, you know what, what did Tony June? You say everybody gets in trouble. It's three things. It's after after twelve, we said, twelve women, liquor.
Speaker 5: And a gun.
Speaker 2: No, nothing good happened after mender.
Speaker 7: Which you say, ain't nothing open, open legs in the hospital.
Speaker 4: All three got me, Uh, why'd you get expelled from school? Game banger?
Speaker 7: I got expelled from school because I was always the last nigga picked for a game and the first one picked for a fight. I was always a and the and the and the predicate was the same. I want to win, so I decided I'm gonna make it harder for you to win.
Speaker 5: When and I didn't win.
Speaker 7: A lot, but I fought a lot, I was like, hey, nigga, this ain't all right now. Every time you walk around this corner, all right, God, if God wanted me to lose, he wouldn't have made so many bricks.
Speaker 5: That's where the god was.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, imagine fighting a dude who will fight you every time you see you. That's a lot, even though you know you're gonna win.
Speaker 7: You like, nigga, I got my mama here. I just I got school clothes on. I just I'm hanging out talking to this girl. No, nigga, were gonna do this every time. I think that the kids these days get to be more whimsical than we were.
Speaker 5: When you grew up.
Speaker 7: The only time you see saw a black man smile when he was around men he trusted.
Speaker 5: Never you never saw them smile outside of the environment.
Speaker 7: They smiled in the environment, and they smiled what they smiled when they were certain that their smile wouldn't be misperceived as weakness. They didn't smile in any other environment but the ones, but they knew that they trusted the people they were talking. And I think that this and that's not a good thing. I'm not saying that this a good thing, but I am saying it's a real thing. And and younger people these days get to be less serious, and.
Speaker 5: That's a blessing.
Speaker 7: We work hard for them. I want them to be able to I don't want them to know what I knew. But we were a product of an environment that shaped us to be away and then the world changed.
Speaker 4: Who is your comedy inspirations?
Speaker 7: Robin Harris, Dick Gregory, Robin Harris, Robin Harris, Dick, Gregory, Red Fox, and Marvin Gay Kids. Marvin Gay painted the world that was so exact that my children's children's children were able to sing his word and know exactly what he saw. And I think that that is artistically what I would like to accomplish as a as a as a as an artist.
Speaker 8: You know, we all have a welcome to the league moment when in sports where we you know, we talk about something that you know that was like, okay, I'm here. Yeah in comedy, did you ever have like a welcome to the big stage, welcome to the big leagues moment?
Speaker 5: Well, it's different.
Speaker 4: You bombed on stage, you walked up.
Speaker 5: Man, listen, listen.
Speaker 7: A cheer and a boom feel exactly the same to me now, like your body can't tell the difference between the sneeze and orgasm. It doesn't know the difference. It's the same thing as the build up, as the climates of the resolution, all of it. It's the same thing. What somebody thinks of me is none of my business. I mean, I get it. I don't like you, I don't like me. I get it, But yet I have to be with me, so let's see how it goes. But I think for me, there is a date certain you knew that you athletically could do things that other people could do, and it followed you every level. Maybe you had to catch up or whatever, but whatever you did kept you in the league a long long time because you knew how to do a thing. You could score, you could defend, you could rebound, you could do whatever you needed to do. For me, as an artist, I wasn't bright. I wasn't educated, I wasn't area died, but I was curious, and so that takes longer.
Speaker 5: It takes longer.
Speaker 7: I ain't never been hot, but I've been warm a long time, and that to me is and I feel I feel like the man I am now is the man the little boy I was always wanted to be.
Speaker 8: So I'm going to break up these two places and something.
Speaker 4: What you think of them?
Speaker 9: Centril Club, that's so la, you know what?
Speaker 7: That was the first time I ever saw, like I grew up in this city, like I would see people on the prices right going, I'm from La and I didn't even like I ain't never seen these niggas there, But it was the first time I saw people that I knew, you know, like I knew, not that I knew I had an individual knowledge of them, but I knew the kinds of people they were. With this aspirational thing that became like they became the thing that I'd always heard people could be. And they looked like me, and they drank the same shit I dred and they saying the same words I did. So it was the first time that Hollywood and one hundred and thirty fifth in Avalon weren't the same proximity Maverick Fletch.
Speaker 5: What was the first time.
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 7: I thought, my man's you know, the Mavericks Flats I started the first time I ever picked up a microphone was Total Experience, which was not right next to the Mavick Flats. But Maverick Flats was our g league. It was our proving ground. It was our Triple A. And you know what, there is something to be said for somebody that can go through it. There are some people who are immensely talented, but talented being talented it's like being mister Hole on Gilligan's Island. It don't mean shit unless you could some of it on demand under pressure. You could be the baddest motherfucker the world in the gym or practice, But it don't mean it unless you can make it happen when the lights is on and it's in the crucible of batter I don't any goddamn thing.
Speaker 3: We just talked to uh shait Byron Scott about cause in in basketball sometimes the lights get too bright in LA for people. Is it similar in this c comedy space.
Speaker 7: I yes, I've seen men who were the best first HB.
Speaker 5: I've been eleven specials.
Speaker 7: Uh from Comedy Central to Showtime too, uh you know uh to HBO. And I remember the very first HBO special I got.
Speaker 5: Uh. I had a manager. He was out of Oakland.
Speaker 7: His name was Tony Spires, and he used to do the very of black comedy comedies. And they were having these tryouts at the at the Townhouse, which is cause it so they were having the tries for TA and I didn't get a try out.
Speaker 5: But what he got me was uh uh, I got to be the host of the of the audition.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: I would bring them people on and do ten minutes bringing people do on, do three minutes doing people don't do four minutes. By the end of the night, they got it cause I had to have it, man I was. I mean, I got married at twenty one, I got a kids, I got a house. I ain't got no skill, nigga, I'm fear way to make it happen that that was your break. That was well, see, I've never It's interesting because if you told, if you asked me what it is I thought happened, I would tell you that I woke up s thirty something years later and I'm here, So I don't remember a specific thing.
Speaker 5: Like that was the epiphany for me.
Speaker 7: The only thing I can ever remember is the first time I picked up a microphone at the Total Experience for Robin for rober Fans and Blue Magic. The first time I picked up a microphone, I knew what I would do for the rest of my life, just like the first time you pick up a basketball. The first time, I knew it, and I knew I would do it whether people wanted me to do it or not. And so that has always been if anything, it was the it was the this is of how I star.
Speaker 3: We just had said on and he got to talking about stories kind of behind the scenes of Kings of Comedy. What was that experience, like, how did you become a part of that King group? And and and talk to us about it?
Speaker 7: Well, I was they were they were in theaters and then I, uh, they were in theaters and I had I was on the Hugles on ABC, and I'd worked with saying Steve forever, uh and Bernie forever, and so they wanted to go to arena, so they thought they needed So what they did was they said, well in Houston, I came on and he said.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: Walter was like, uh, it was everybody got a set price, but he's gonna try to give me less. I'm like, no, nigga, I'm not no. You were good, you could. I ain't gotta do it. So I did it. I crushed in the rest's history. But I think I never think. You know how you look at your wedding pictures, or you look at your wedding albums, or you look at your high school yearbook, your trophies, and you would never even look at them unless you were walking by and something destructure Like I never think about Kings of Comedy.
Speaker 5: Unless they bring it up.
Speaker 7: So when somebody's for me, what happened with the Kings of Comedy, it was a tremendous It was one of the greatest things I'd ever been a part of. But it's also a part of my life. I don't have to revisit. I ain't got to keep talk about high school. I ain't got to keep talking about the girl that got away. I ain't got to because I had it. It was great, But that's like trying to survive of the foods you already ate. The thing I remember the most is how I knew that it was something special. But I remember when we shot The Kings of Comedy. People don't notice, but I shot a special call going Home in August. We shot The Kings of Comedy two months later, three months later, So I had to write a whole new thirty minutes in a month two months, and so that's what I remember. So I remember the day before we shot it, I was I didn't have any material, so I was talking to Spike Lean that man, fuck it, you you could do it. So that was it for me. So it was I didn't have a All I remember is going around the country doing sets so that I can put together at thirty minutes.
Speaker 5: So and then I saw the movie.
Speaker 3: What is the process of putting something like that together? Like, we know we want to work on our game. We're gonna work on our game. Get out there, get our shots up, run, stay in condition, and then play and get better. Like, so what do you like? You said, that's a short amount of time to put a routine together.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 7: And that it's different because I'm a grown man, so you know, now I have Now I have a broader continuum of experiences to draw from. But I think, to me, the writing process is easier because all I'm here to do is bear witness. I'm a camera. I don't listen. I don't make your mind up. I tell you what I see. I take the picture, you decide what it is. But I think when you're younger, you want to prove things to people. When you're older, you know who you are.
Speaker 2: Don't matter.
Speaker 5: I'm a manufacturer. I make red cups.
Speaker 7: They don't sell them everywhere, but what they do sell them, I do good, but they don't.
Speaker 5: It ain't none of my business.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Bernie was taken early, but what do you think if he would have just got to continue on the path he was on, someone who crossed over into Hollywood and was doing some other things.
Speaker 7: I think everybody does what they supposed to hear to do, and then I hear no more.
Speaker 5: Moses didn't get to go through the premised land.
Speaker 7: I've never seen anybody live past it that they're used by day. Nobody is here any longer than they're supposed to be, So I don't lamit that I'm glad I got to see it.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I got to be here. But when people.
Speaker 7: Everybody is exist, whatever you're looking for is looking for you, and everywhere you're supposed to be, you are. What it is sad for me is that I always thought I would have more time. Like I knew Bernie was sick and I knew what was going on. But I thought, I'll play this gig and we'll get together. I was arrogant enough to believe the time would listen to me. That's the only regret I have about it. I thought that I would get to laugh with him again. I thought same thing with Charlie Murphy. I thought that I would get to It's an arrogant thing, that's let's not I thought I would do it my father too, So it's all these these things that happened. I ain't never learned the god damn listen. You're supposed to enjoy what you have right there. But the only thing I regret about that is not what he would have done, is that I wasn't. I believe that we would have more time to make some more memories. And that was a foolish, arrogant thing to believe.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Charlie Murphy, you guys have a good relationship.
Speaker 5: We had a great relationship.
Speaker 7: He's the best story to Charlie Murphy is by far the best. There hasn't been. The greatest storyteller in history is Mark Twain. The second greatest teller in history is Charlie Murphy. That motherfucker told some story. This is how great Charlie Murphy is. I knew that Nigga had cancer and I didn't believe he did. I was like everybody's stomach get that big, like he was that great. He told stories and he was great. His brother is one of the greatest entertainers of all time. Charlie had his name, and he was older, and he carved out his own way, and he bombed at first, and it was rough at first, but he became this thing all on his own.
Speaker 5: It wasn't set out for me. He had no silver spoon. He was just.
Speaker 7: He didn't truck anybody else. He was Charlie, Charlie Murphy. You you say Charlie Murphy in a way that's so separate from his brother.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, that's how great is that? That's respect you know nobody else. You don't see nobody else's.
Speaker 3: Kids said, his dad is the bigger. Excuse me, his brother's the biggest stars that he was on his own.
Speaker 7: Name me another person who got two names at a great two of them you get one and the other nigga get a job.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: You never really obviously you had the Hugeley show, but you never really gravitated towards Hollywood like you could have if I think, if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Was there a reason behind that?
Speaker 7: I think, like I said before, you where you're supposed to be. I do what I love. I do what I love. I love to get up, say what I see and and and take what comes.
Speaker 5: So it's a it's it's.
Speaker 7: A more frame. Now I'm writing a show now that we have a deal with a network, and I'm very proud to do it. But I only want to do what it is. I want to do, sitcom, what kind of shows. It's gonna be a sitcom, and I'm very proud of because it's a reflection of the life I have right now.
Speaker 5: But I never wanted to.
Speaker 7: You know, the only reason I came here because I felt like I had something to say. If I didn't feel like I had something to say, I wouldn't be it, you know. So I never want to do anything because I don't feel because just because I want to do what I believe I can contribute to will you be starring it out? Or just oh yeah, I'm writing it. It's a sitcom based on my life and my family. Where I'm now.
Speaker 5: I got a gay daughter, an artistic.
Speaker 7: Son, and and an older daughter who had cancer, and a wife who who is I've been with for forty years, and so I just think uh.
Speaker 5: Is in the creative process.
Speaker 7: I never want to feel like I have to apologize for having a perspective, And I think sometimes the entertainment apparatus wants to let people off the hook. But I think I want this show to be like if the nation got a chance to be a fly on the wall of family having a conversation.
Speaker 3: Was there any hesitance with that? Really opening that door with the family side?
Speaker 7: Well, what they're gonna do. They're gonna tell me I can't do that. You better go home and cry and the pile of money and shut up. People always think that experiences are just so solitary. Me and you could have an experience. You could have one perspective of it and I could have another. That I don't mean either one of us lying, But why should I have to have permission from anybody to say what I saw?
Speaker 5: Like, why would I would.
Speaker 7: Why would I have to ask you for permission for having a perspective.
Speaker 5: It's divergent from you.
Speaker 4: What does family mean to you? I mean you're talking about.
Speaker 7: Film everything, but not everything in the cliche kind of way, right. I think that the family is a unit that you grow into like you do anything else. What my family means to me now isn't what it meant to me when I was much younger. What family means to me now because when you're younger, you hustle and try to make it happen. You're trying to make sure everybody has what they need, but what they need is you. But you can't be any dude that tells you can walk that perfect line where he is there enough and doing enough. If you there, somebody ain't eating if you're not there. Somebody said you go. But when you're a man, you have to walk those paths. Now that I'm a grandfather, I get to be more present and get to what I've hoped is that I've instilled enough of my attributes that are that are positive that my children have told them who I am, and it's set the skids for me where they love being around me. But even that, all I know is I've done what I knew to do and now try to do better. And if they accept it, cool. If they don't, I can understand it.
Speaker 3: You have to have gone through a lot in life to be at such peace with where you are. When did that kind of start coming in.
Speaker 7: And nobody gets peace? You run out of wind? So just thinking I can't like I would like to chase all these brothers, but I'm tired. But don't you think I want to go?
Speaker 5: He did you tell me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Just settle for tell me what you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: But I remember, I'm talking from a standpoint of just like this is me And when were you just comfortable? Because it wasn't always like that, Like you said, when you're growing in the hustle, although you're very confident in yourself, you still kind of hear the noise, you know what I mean? I asked Kobe this question, like what did you hear during your career that hurts you or bother?
Speaker 2: It's like I heard it.
Speaker 3: All and it all hurt I mean, so when did you become at such peace with like this is? Like you said, I'm a red cup. They don't tell me everywhere where they like me, they sell them a lot.
Speaker 5: Peace is what you are forced to accept, Okay.
Speaker 7: Generally, peace is one strong man giving another uh one strong position, giving a lesser position an opportunity to pretend like they're both getting what they want, Like I'm tired of fighting, you tired of dying. It's never it's never equal. So my peace comes from the fact that every day I'm gonna do what I believe and I'm willing to take what comes with that. So it's not it's not a guarantee. It's not that I win all the time. And I I ain't never been the kind of cat to pray that God would get to give me victory. I never cause I think that's an arrogant thing to go, Please God, out of all these people, I'm your favorite, show me victory. I've always prayed to God to give me the best accounting I can make up myself that day, and that that's a peaceful thing when you know that God is gonna give you exactly what the max that he can give you, and then you're gonna do the best you can do.
Speaker 5: Shuld I What could happen?
Speaker 2: What makes you happy? In twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: I'm a black man who never known what happened. Who I've never known a black man can tell me what happeness was?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 7: It's this, It's like a fucking unicorn or big big foot. I've never heard a black man say these things out loud, happiness and safety. So at sixty years old, sixty years old was the first time I've ever asked myself what happenedess could be?
Speaker 2: What'd you come up with?
Speaker 5: Nothing yet I'm working on it, baby.
Speaker 2: Three years later. Yeah, no, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: Why would I.
Speaker 7: It's it's such an abstract concept to me, Like people talk about happiness like it's the place you live, like it's fucking Xander. Do it ain't. Happiness is just being content. So I don't. I don't know that I that I'll find it, but I know that I'm more open to it than I ever was.
Speaker 2: What'd you think about the Drake and Kendrick Beef.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 7: Drake is an immensely talented artist, uh who had who would all always been talented and his patterns' talent had always been stoked.
Speaker 5: But Kendrick was an artist.
Speaker 7: I've never seen an artist who was everything he thought he was at the moment when nobody thought he could be nobody thought he could do what he did, but he did. He knew it, and because he knew it, he elevated an entire coast. You saw black people and bloods and crips and latins who didn't get along, and he elevated because he spoke. He said, his metric was set to all of us who could see ourselves in him. Drake is talented, and he can make me dance, and I a vibe to his shit. I never he never spoke to me in the place that I felt that motherfucker. Nigga, how do you make a disc record and then you at the super Bowl? You ain't never seen No, you've never seen it. We've never seen He is a brilliant artist, A brilliant artist in an ar form this oftentime, sometimes underestimated and and never clearly really quite quantified. And I'm proud he's from the street something from I'm proud he's breathed the same air.
Speaker 5: And I'm proud he sounds and looks like he did.
Speaker 4: He's keeping substance in the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he does, and substance to everybody. I don't know what it is. I think draps very appreciate substance. I hear you all the time.
Speaker 7: That's why when I post you, I delete my name because I want to know I did it.
Speaker 5: I watched this nigga beat destroyed up. So isn't it funny that two violent niggas have the best podcast and it's called All the Smoke. That's fucking hilarious. Up called a restraining order.
Speaker 7: That's the niggas shouldn't have been in the same room.
Speaker 2: But yeah, restraining order twenty five.
Speaker 3: I mean, you said you're working on a pilot right now?
Speaker 4: What are you working on these days?
Speaker 5: I'm working on a pilot.
Speaker 7: With a very talent dude called Axe Bono's for CBS, and it's me and where I am right now, and it looks really good.
Speaker 5: I'm working writing a book called Charlie's Boy about.
Speaker 7: My father, and I think the worst thing I know is that my father never knew what I thought of him. And this is mine telling him what I thought of him.
Speaker 2: How long has he been going?
Speaker 5: We start now? We've had to deal for two years.
Speaker 7: But I just didn't think that I had the bandwidth to make it happen.
Speaker 2: But Pop still here as he passed.
Speaker 5: I would never talk this shit he was here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, my father had to die to here this shit. Now, I've had the best relationship with my father since he's been gone.
Speaker 5: He listens and everything.
Speaker 8: So what would you tell somebody like me want to get an actor that you already are actor.
Speaker 4: I'm a second person. Tell me that that's what you know?
Speaker 5: What it is?
Speaker 7: Everything you're looking for is looking for you.
Speaker 5: You never see now.
Speaker 7: I think that the greatest actors I've ever seen that weren't necessarily trained. But all it is is do I believe what you're saying when you're saying it right?
Speaker 5: So first take.
Speaker 7: Things that are in your in your weares, then challenge yourself. But you already acting. You're acting like you ain't never beat up Detroit. And that's you acting like I can't watch you from thirty.
Speaker 9: Right now, that I got that down.
Speaker 5: Reasonable the same man. That's so fun.
Speaker 7: I think that the fact that there's so many bright young co mean. I do a thing and it's called uh uh Wednesdays at the d L and I do it in Pasadena and it's at the Icehouse, and I do it every Wednesday and I put on all young comics because I see these dudes doing shit, because it's it's it's different, like everybody's always talking about. I remember Eric Dickison was one of my favorite running backs, right and sakh On Broccoli might have broke this record, and Eric pointed out that he had, oh that Taquan had one more game. But no one's ever seen these kind of defenses before. No one's ever seen that. So with these kind of athletes and these kind of schemes, So everywhere you're supposed to be, you get what you get from that moment. And it's ridiculous to pretend like I know or can into it what these people's parameters are, what their drawbacks are, what are not. But I will say the one thing that I notice about the younger generation than us, they now want a collaborative or from me. And I've watched a lot of them work. It's not just me saying some shit. I'm just saying, but I've been doing this thing for like five months now, and I've seen I don't know, three hundred young comics and one other things that I see in them and not everybody, But there is more collaboration that's not a judgment or an assessment of what that is or a judgment of what that is. It's just my assessment. Us more individualistic, like I have this thing. A line and tiger are more powerful, but a war won't perform in the circus. There's a level of individual individualism that we got and maybe it was born of the time we were in that I don't see exhibited now. I think they think being mean and caustic. Not everybody, but being mean and caustic is the way.
Speaker 3: It's not even the same type of route though these days. I mean, obviously you look at the path that you know, your generation of comics had to take in the ups and downs in the grinds, and it's just different now because of social media.
Speaker 2: Sure, but then the level of funny or is it to you?
Speaker 7: It was different when people went from radio to TV, a TV for the films or so. It's everybody has had their Yeah, But what I I think that I believe that comedy is so sacracy that everybody should have the right to say and do what they want. I think it's an unbridled, unvarnished truth. That doesn't mean people are going to sapt what you do but it also doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with you could be a cop and like with cop and and and and you know, be in the union. But that doesn't mean you can't say that this crosses the line. I think that comics can cross the line too. And it doesn't mean I don't love the oft phone. I can respect your ability and your right to do it, but I don't think it's funny to talk about how you could.
Speaker 5: Rape another dude.
Speaker 7: I don't think that's funny, right, not at all. And then I don't think it's funny. I think it's worse when you pretend like you get to say what you want, that it's out of bounds. But when somebody says something out of bounds or you you get offended. I don't think that's Look, hey man, I said it. You have every right to come at me the way you feel like you need to.
Speaker 3: It was in the comments I was like, bro, this hanging in how you think it's going Exactly what I said.
Speaker 5: You can't talk about raping somebody and that's a violent thing, you know.
Speaker 7: And and if that's what you mean, roll with it. Two tears of the bucket and fuck it. Let's see what happens. Let's see, like I remember this one dude tell I'm gonna kick yourss.
Speaker 5: And you know what he did.
Speaker 7: But I would let's see, let's see, let's see. You can't beat me before we start. Gonna happen how the game won, before we even start the game.
Speaker 3: Let's just see, Oh ship, quick hitters. First thing to come to mind.
Speaker 4: Let us know top five comedians of all time?
Speaker 5: To me your opinion, I ain't gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 7: No, but but but I but I know that that. There are fifteen people I pay to see.
Speaker 2: Okay, those give me, give me ten of them.
Speaker 7: I would have paid to see Robert Harris. I would pay to see Earthquake. I pay to see Steve I paid to see said. I pay to see cat I pay to see Apps. I pay to see uh uh uh Deon Cole. I pay to see I pay to see George Lopez. There are people I pay to see. They're so funny to me. I don't even call my aident asked where it at? I only ask for good tickets. I just want to see it. Then I want to say I saw it.
Speaker 2: What's it like?
Speaker 7: Chris Rock is daves like, it's all those people I know who are doing things. I can tell you this the I remember seeing Jamie Fox years ago at the Combact Theater and he was so talented. I I stormed and I went, it's unfair for a motherfucker to be that sad talented. And I was mad at him for years, but for being that fucking talented. And then later on, given all the things he'd gone through, like we became friends and I respect of my life.
Speaker 5: But look at how.
Speaker 7: My him being that talented girded him up, and and and and and building all that girded him up for the things that would happened to later on in life. Like for me, I've never seen say it is the moment everybody fucking loves said. So when Kat talked bad about it, it made me happy. I was like, oh god, damn, thank you. I called said.
Speaker 5: I said, Niggie, I'm glad somebody said someth bad about you. Nigga. I'm so happy he said that he said that on the show. I'm so happy it made my dick. I'm so fucking happy that they said something bad about him.
Speaker 7: I called him rightway, Nigga, I'm glad. I don't feel bad for you. Fuck you, I know, goddamn this about time. Everybody everybody love you well.
Speaker 5: Nigga, not him. That made me so, He'll tell you right.
Speaker 7: Now, that made me episode. I couldn't stop laughing. I was like, oh my god. I didn't believe it because it was not my experience with him, but it made me happy. I imagine being around somebody love all the time, and you always in trouble, and this motherfucker always explained to you.
Speaker 5: Finally, hot, hot nigga. I'm so glad of that. I can't wait till Shanny Sharp too.
Speaker 4: Come up.
Speaker 3: Five dinner guests, dinner alive, you plus five at the dinner table.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: I would want to talk to Winston Churchill. I would want to talk to Jesus, but not not the white Jesus. I would want to talk uh uh to Mark Twain. I would want to talk to Helen Keller.
Speaker 2: Helen, How are you going to talk to Helen Keller right exactly? Do you know that?
Speaker 5: This is so funny?
Speaker 7: She was deaf, dumb, blind, but she wrote a book that described the world the way it is now. Really, yes, I didn't know that Helen Keller, and she also bought a key that's to America, and I would want to talk to my fifteen year old father.
Speaker 2: Oh young young fella.
Speaker 4: One album you can listen to with no skips.
Speaker 5: Here, my dear Marvin Gay.
Speaker 4: Marvin Gay.
Speaker 5: Remember that was an album he had to give to his wife.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: It's part of a divorce settlement and he wrote it from a van. It was homeless and I think Hawaii. And it wasn't just here, bitch. It was like he wrote his best work and gave it to her as a testament to his love and her.
Speaker 5: Influence on him.
Speaker 7: And I think the most beautiful thing you could ever do is to tell people exactly how you feel about them.
Speaker 2: In that moment, well said guilty pleasure.
Speaker 5: I just told you about that. I'm never guilty about my pleasure.
Speaker 7: People always think I should be, but I'm not what.
Speaker 4: I said, O, I'm not guilty about it.
Speaker 7: I ain't got one of them. I like what I like. I just hope you don't catch mek it it.
Speaker 4: God, damn, I like it. I like mine. I love you.
Speaker 5: I don't want you to see meking and look at me like, why does this nigga? Like that.
Speaker 4: I can't go a day without mine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know what I mean. Guilty pleasure. It means I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm thinking I'm doing something you might think. I don't like to. I never want to hurt the woman I love. I don't ever want to do nothing to hers. But it doesn't mean I don't like it when I do it. That's crazy.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Crazy childhood crush.
Speaker 7: It was a girl named Kathin. I ain't gonna say her last name. So I was in the seventh grade and she was in the ninth. Everybody has these stories. So I was in the seventh grade, she was in the ninth and I rode the bus when with the Perry Junior High and we were in La was the unincorporated part of La so they would pick us up. And so the bus in La Gino, you might notice, had this hierarchy youngest in the front, seventh in the front, eighth in the middle, ninth in the back unless you were cool seventh grad you know, But I didn't. So I remember this song called Gloria by Enchatman would come on and every day I would look back at her in the mirror in the big old bus mirror and the song will come on and I look at her and she would smile, and so one day I did, and we did this for like the whole the hit was. The song was a hit for weeks, so every day would come on at the same time. And one day, why did I look over at her? And she said and said, what you.
Speaker 5: Looking at you? Motherfuck? Stop looking at me, you nap? He headed, fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 5: Felt so small.
Speaker 7: And the bus driver r you know, had that half gloves driving a little busy. He goes, it's all right, little man. And later on that bus driver married that girl. Very yeah girl, but he was only like twenty one, twenty two, and maybe two years ago. This girl's I got on the plane and uh, these two dudes, young cats came on and they were like, you know her mother, and they said her name and it was her Wow, And I was so glad they were sitting in coach.
Speaker 5: I was so happy.
Speaker 2: Was sitting there.
Speaker 6: If my mom would actor right, you could have been up here with me, that motherfucker, I said, Gloria, that's a true story.
Speaker 8: If you can see one guest on our show, who would it be? But you have to help us get your answer.
Speaker 5: On this one guest on your show? Who could it be?
Speaker 4: You have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 7: I'd like to see y'all talk to Bill Maher, I like, I would like to see you talk to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would, I think be a great guest for Yeah, I do well.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We appreciate your time. Thank you man, willingness to come spend some time with us.
Speaker 5: Thank you man.
Speaker 2: We got a little gift here, Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Why did I know this was coming?
Speaker 2: Coffee table book? You mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope that's pictures? Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Here we got got you a tore your cigar and I.
Speaker 5: Don't think you talk.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what I knew would be for you. And then some tour merch for.
Speaker 7: Us, And then I gotta tell y'all, man, y'all in a different vibration. I can't tell you what it's gonna mean, but I can tell you what it is right now. And I like the way y'all doing it in a way that's uniquely y'all. Two niggas that should have been arrested that probably shouldn't be within a thousand feet of each other. You know, everything you're doing right now will get you kicked out the league.
Speaker 6: Everything you easily.
Speaker 5: But I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I remember coming on your show right when I got out the NBA, and you had me on a couple of times, and I liked and I enjoyed it, and you said something like, don't be coming on here, like being funny, but like almost kind of giving me a compliment that I was kind of doing a good job of what I was doing.
Speaker 7: Well, you know what, Like I said, I said, this ad nas him everything you're looking for looking for you, And I liked that you didn't listen. I'm in radio, so it's a different thing. But imagine singing the biggest podcast that no one's ever seen and then not trying to do that thing.
Speaker 5: That's the great temptation.
Speaker 7: You could go, well, that's how they're doing it, that's what he look if you want to go to the moon, if if we launched the rocket to the moon, we couldn't go where it's going. We couldn't where it's at. We got to always going. It's like if you're shooting something, you lead it. You're throwing the past, you go, you throw it where they're going, where they should be now where they at right.
Speaker 3: Fat well, man, thank you, We enjoyed your time today. Man, best moving forward. Best luck with that sitcom. If you need any extras, he's looking for it.
Speaker 7: And I'm gonna do a scene in Detroit. And what I'm gonna do it's have the whole there sing when somebody got to beat the entire city up.
Speaker 5: The man.
Speaker 3: You can catch this on the Draft Kings Network and all the smoke for actions you too. We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 1: M m hm mm hmmm.